PDA

View Full Version : New Years resolutions - apocalypse edition

theimage13
12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
So as we all know, we're boned. World's ending in December. Kind of a bummer, right? So since we're all about to die, let's make some resolutions. Mine:

Figure out the bizarro relationship I'm in, and put an end to it if we're not on the same page.
Get laid (status of #1 irrelevant).
Spend more time on tour than at home.
Finally get around to figuring out my 401k.

What else are people doing with their final months?

Space Suicide
12-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Doing what I did for the last 21 years of my life. Which is exactly what I'll be doing for the next 21 years.

Ryan
12-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Complete my novel.

M1ke
12-31-2011, 09:08 AM
1. Get Laid More.
2. Stop listening to my idiot of a boss.
3. Keep my house clean.

Fixer808
12-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Moar fucking.

sublimaze
12-31-2011, 09:51 PM
The usual stuff. This time I mean it, though!

Go sober
Exercise more
Eat less and better

theruiner
01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Doing what I did for the last 21 years of my life. Which is exactly what I'll be doing for the next 21 years.Dude, you can't masturbate all the time.

So, for me-

-finally get this gender bullshit figured out once and for all (and figure out what I'm going to do about it)

-once I get that first one out of the way, start really working on my comedy, get a decent five minutes together and start hitting the open mics (assuring the start of ten miserable years of trying to climb the comedy ladder before finally giving up and working at an Oldsmobile dealership)

-get in shape (maybe)

-work on my resolutions for 2013

-ah, fuck number three

Kind of sad that "getting laid" and/or "being in a relationship" isn't even on there. Meh.

Jon
01-01-2012, 12:10 AM
The usual stuff. This time I mean it, though!

Go sober

This is a much easier resolution to keep if you make it when you wake up after your 9000th night of black-out drinking this year, and realize you're using your steel-toe boot as a pillow. Just a tip.

theruiner
01-01-2012, 12:13 AM
This is a much easier resolution to keep if you make it when you wake up after your 9000th night of black-out drinking this year, and realize you're using your steel-toe boot as a pillow. Just a tip.Hold on, I'm writing this down...

sick among the pure
01-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Dude, you can't masturbate all the time.

So, for me-

-finally get this gender bullshit figured out once and for all (and figure out what I'm going to do about it)

I'm hoping to get my grander shit going too. I have an appointment for the 13th with my doctor to hopefully get a prescription for T. Not going to even think about saving up for top surgery until after I start paying off my college loans.

Jon
01-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Hold on, I'm writing this down...

since you're taking notes, make sure the steel-toe portion has some sort of texture, that way you get to see yourself with waffle-face in the mirror

theruiner
01-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm hoping to get my grander shit going too. I have an appointment for the 13th with my doctor to hopefully get a prescription for T. Not going to even think about saving up for top surgery until after I start paying off my college loans.Duuuuude! Get a job at Wells Fargo. They cover all that stuff now under their health plan.

On a serious note, kind of sad that we have to save up tens of thousands of dollars just to fix something like that.

Oh, which reminds me- I also need to start seeing a psychologist. Again. So add that to the list.

aggroculture
01-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Finish the phd.
Get a job.
Propose?
Lose the 5 kilos I gained after losing 10.
Give up fish.
Publish some articles or a book.
Not let myself get defeated by the dreary process that is academia.

sick among the pure
01-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Duuuuude! Get a job at Wells Fargo. They cover all that stuff now under their health plan.

On a serious note, kind of sad that we have to save up tens of thousands of dollars just to fix something like that.

Oh, which reminds me- I also need to start seeing a psychologist. Again. So add that to the list.

If it didn't make my 4 years of going to school for photography, I would. Hell, I might anyway. I wouldn't have a problem with working some "to pay the bills" job because of them covering my surgeries.

Edit: found an article that lists a few more companies whose insurance covers it, Kodak is listed, sounds like a plan to me.

thevoid99
01-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Get a few screenplays done and actually have my most recent completed one get made where I will direct the film despite having no filmmaking training.

slave2thewage
01-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Drop some weight and actually move to Dublin instead of just going on about it.

carpenoctem
01-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I think it was very appropriate that I rang in the new year by watching von Trier's Melancholia. If we die in December I hope it's as pretty as this apocalypse.

I have no resolutions because I don't believe the new year makes it any easier to keep your promises to yourself than if you were to make them on any other day of the year.

Elke
01-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Lose weight.
Take better care of myself.
Finish book.

Lisbeth
01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
1) Lose weight.
2) Exercise more.
3) Do more projects around the house...after 4 years of living in it it's time to touch up paint and what not.
4) Xeroscape the flower beds in the front of my house.
5) Start dating...which requires figuring out the best way to meet men at my age.
6) More sex (depending on how successful I am with #5)
7) Go somewhere on a trip that doesn't require a funeral (My brother's funerals were the only trips I took last year)
8) Take some classes?
9) Pay off at least 1 credit card.
10) Lose my addiction to flavored coffee creamer...that should help me shed some pounds

Harry Seaward
01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
This is a much easier resolution to keep if you make it when you wake up after your 9000th night of black-out drinking this year, and realize you're using your steel-toe boot as a pillow. Just a tip.

If you have 9,000 nights per year, I want to drink what you're drinking.

Pillfred
01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
The only resolution for the new year i have is the same as always, just try and be a better person.

sublimaze
01-02-2012, 12:57 AM

I always end up in bed somehow, but not always remembering when I arrived at that destination. If your husband is pissed at you the next morning because you were reaming him out for all kinds of infractions at 3AM, and you don't remember it...it's a resolution to keep.

Jinsai
01-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Give up fish.

why? If you quit fish, would you take fish oil supplements, or is it a moral imperative to not eat animals or products derived thereby?

Endlessly
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Try not to die.
Be a kinder person.
Stop pretending that an energy drink qualifies as a meal.

Jord
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
1. get laid/in a relationship.
2. get a new job.
3. pass my driving test and become mobile.

bonus of getting slim again and bulking up over the next few months in time for my 21st.

sukey
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
1. Run a half marathon and train for it properly so I can complete it with dignity.
2. Weigh 70kg or less by September so I'm skinny for my year abroad in France.
3. Stop getting black out drunk and waking up hating myself for not remembering anything.
4. Read more, especially classics.
5. Spend less on clothes - I have enough!
6. Pass my driving test by June.

icklekitty
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I was fairly successful with my resolutions in 2011 (http://anastropheandcheese.wordpress.com/). This year I will be mainly maintaining my weight and paying off my mortgage.

aggroculture
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
why? If you quit fish, would you take fish oil supplements, or is it a moral imperative to not eat animals or products derived thereby?

Yes, I can't keep up the fiction that fish isn't meat (which I gave up nearly 4 years ago). My chiropractor said flax seed oil is just as good.

Fixer808
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Moar fucking.
Kept THIS one right off the bat...

Torgo
01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Actually finish and go through the entirety of P90X (I type this as I consume a vegetable pizza with stuffed crust dipped in ranch).

cashpiles (closed)
01-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Actually finish and go through the entirety of P90X (I type this as I consume a vegetable pizza with stuffed crust dipped in ranch).

I wanna do this P90X thing and share my newfound abundance of energy and enthusiasm with everyone I meet. I'm serious. Plus, being in shape and being able to complete the program will give a huge confidence boost.

P. S. We are really on the same page Torgo. I was talking to two of my friends yesterday about New Year's Resolutions and something that came up was that I want to become a vegetarian. More specifically, I want to eat whole vegetables, fruits, grains and beans while staying away from anything processed.

theruiner
01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Actually finish and go through the entirety of P90X (I type this as I consume a vegetable pizza with stuffed crust dipped in ranch).Your New Year's resolution should be to never, ever change your avatar.

Torgo
01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Your New Year's resolution should be to never, ever change your avatar.

I'm totally ok with never changing my avatar. I think I've received more private messages about it than on any other topic.

Christo
01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I need to stop surrounding myself with people that need to be constantly helped or supported. Need to think about myself once in a while. Which sounds completely out of character given my ETS online persona...

icklekitty
01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
I need to stop surrounding myself with people that need to be constantly helped or supported. Need to think about myself once in a while. Which sounds completely out of character given my ETS online persona...

This was one of my resolutions last year and it was honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've felt much less stressed out and generally happier as a result.

frankie teardrop
01-03-2012, 10:02 AM
i'm not one to make new year's resolutions, but i've got a few major ones this time around:

get health in order (denist, doctor, back issues etc.)
stop djing

i reckon the second will have a positive effect on the first, but we'll see.

Lew
01-03-2012, 10:28 AM
other than building an apocalypse bong for the 21st of december (satellite sized, i reckon):

i have successfully started each day with hot water and cider vinegar, so i would like to continue this.
it makes me really hungry, which helps with resolution: eat food. good food. more than once a day.
yoga. a quickie sun salutation takes 5 minutes. FIVE MINUTES, LEW. yeah. yoga.
(body resolutions)
you did good at calming that harpie temper with the kids...so now learn how to play. seriously. even if you feel stupid or are bored. they aren't kids for long.
(emotional resolution)
tobacco,for you Lew, is more mental than physical an addiction. mind over matter. yep.
(mental resolution)
continue parting the veil. it isn't scary, it is good. very good.
(spiritual resolution)

good luck to all with their resolve! happy 2012.

carpenoctem
01-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Only the first month is hard. I felt great after finishing, but by the second month it kind of feels like you've been doing it forever, so I didn't feel necessarily accomplished when I finished as oddly empty, like, "What? I don't have to spend two hours today getting my athletic freak on while Tony Horton makes inappropriately peppy comments?"

Of course I ended up basically going right back to where I was before, but that's just me, I'm sure other people retain those habits and live better as a result.

theimage13
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
i'm totally ok with never changing my avatar. I think i've received more private messages about it than on any other topic.

there's my chippy!

(edit: I'm sad that trying to "scream" that just gets it cut down to all lowercase.)

marodi
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
My short term resolution: get a new job (I quit the old one last November)

My long term resolution: I don't believe that the world will end in December, that's silly. But the Zombie Apocalypse, that is serious business. So my resolution is to prepare for it.

halloween
01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
This year is pretty clear cut for me in terms of things that I'm going to be focusing on fortunately but of course it's those BIG LIFE CHANGES...

1. Graduate
2. Move to NYC
3. Find Job

as for personal life goals...

4. Continue yoga
5. Continue anxiety management
6. Continue biking regularly

I've crossed off "more sex" from this years resolution because something tells me I shouldn't be too focused on that part of my life right now...sigh.