PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

GulDukat
07-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Tarantino's latest is out. I plan on going tonight. Here is a good review:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-movie-review-tarantinos-best-in-years/594535/

imail724
07-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Wish I was going tonight. I got tix for saturday.

GulDukat
07-26-2019, 01:17 AM
Saw this tonight--great film. I won't give any spoilers and you can read a synopsis on wiki, so here are some general thoughts:

--Not a whole lot happens, definitely a slow-burn, but this wasn't at all boring, it was really engrossing.
--I enjoyed the film very much while watching it, but like it even more in hindsight.
--Some scenes/dialog seemed superfluous while viewing, but when the film ended, I saw how it all fit together.
--Superb performances from Pitt and Decaprio.
--Really awesome soundtrack.
--The sets/scenery were fantastic.
--I want to see this again, soon.

Wretchedest
07-26-2019, 02:16 AM
The only thing that wasn't perfect about this movie was Tarantino's foot fetish going Super Saiyan and distracting from numerous scenes

versusreality
07-26-2019, 05:51 AM
Seeing it 10 o'clock this morning, taking my gf who's only seen 2 Tarantino films (I've seen them all multiple times, including his own 35mm prints at his theater in LA) ...can't wait.

chuckrh
07-26-2019, 07:01 AM
can't wait!

Space Suicide
07-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Gonna need to are this sometime soon. Can’t wait.

Mr. Blaileen
07-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Wow, what a fucking film. Tarantino can be hit or miss for me (Hateful Eight put me to sleep, but I LOVE Django/Basterds), but this one is a goddamn banger. It's almost difficult to describe. It honestly seems like half the film is *technically* superfluous, but like the above poster said, it's never boring and it's highly compelling and engrossing. I kept thinking of how unnecessary some of the shots were (not in a bad way) and how other directors would never get away with it being such a slow burn, but it WORKS, because it's a big love letter to old-Hollywood.

The 'old' movie/TV show scenes and the way they're spread throughout it, the soundtrack, the radio ads playing during the many driving scenes, the neon lights in the city..the whole thing is an ode to sixties Hollywood and what the place was like back then. The sets, writing, and acting are absolutely superb and escalate the believability of it all so much that it practically feels more 60s than the stuff from that time.

What I love the most was the ending. TWIST! With Sharon Tate and the Manson family as characters, it sort of feels like the audience is waiting for that inevitable scene, but when it veers left at the last second I was totally 100% on board. My eyes went wide and the last 20 minutes of the film were amazing. Such a cool twist on real history. Pitt destroyed that action sequence.

What I loved:
- Acting. Leo and Brad were SUPERB (Give Leo his second oscar already), and ALL of the minor characters played beautifully. The writing and acting seemed so cohesive and it helped make the slow burn as captivating as it was. Seriously, I can't think of a single one where I was like 'that didn't work for me.'
- The clothing, sets, writing, and acting make the 60s seem more vivid to me than almost anything I've ever seen.
- The old-timey footage of fake films and all the radio ads that were spread throughout- you could tell Tarantino was having a blast recreating stuff that he enjoyed when he was a kid.
- The slow burn of it. Honestly, it wouldn't have felt as good to me if it was any shorter. I could have watched another two hours.

Also, agreed about the foot thing. It didn't REALLY bother me too badly, but it was very noticeable and (literally) shoved in our faces multiple times, haha.

GulDukat
07-26-2019, 01:00 PM
@Mr.Blaileen, did you stay for the faux cigarette ad at the end of the credits? Hilarious.

Wretchedest
07-26-2019, 01:15 PM
I think the reason it feels like much of the film is superfluous is because it's actually a series of vignettes with no central conflict and in that way it's more like Pulp Fiction than any of his other films are. It's a handful of stories strung together by characters with broader motivations and drives.

This is probably DiCaprio's best work ever. Tarantino had a lot of fun trying to push him I think, and Leo probably wanted to be pushed.

Aside from the feet, it has some of Tarantino's most striking shots. It's a very fun, heartfelt movie. Easily among Tarantino's best. Top 3 in that lot I'd say

GulDukat
07-26-2019, 01:27 PM
I think the reason it feels like much of the film is superfluous is because it's actually a series of vignettes with no central conflict and in that way it's more like Pulp Fiction than any of his other films are. It's a handful of stories strung together by characters with broader motivations and drives.

This is probably DiCaprio's best work ever. Tarantino had a lot of fun trying to push him I think, and Leo probably wanted to be pushed.

Aside from the feet, it has some of Tarantino's most striking shots. It's a very fun, heartfelt movie. Easily among Tarantino's best. Top 3 in that lot I'd sayGood analysis. If most other writers/directors attempted to make a movie like this it would have been a disaster--but QT really made it work.

versusreality
07-26-2019, 03:15 PM
loved it, as did my gf. there's a lot to digest, but I basically agree with everything that's been said above. I am satisfied with the ending (my heart was racing going into the movie knowing about the Manson family. my gf had no prior knowledge of that part of history) . as I dropped my gf off today we parted saying our names but with "fucking" in the middle like Cliff did dropping Rick off to work hah.

I'd be really bummed out if he only did one more. I disagree with his assessment about old directors..some of Kurosawa's finest stuff was when he was in his 70s! but I'll have to respect it if that's the case.

GulDukat
07-26-2019, 03:22 PM
And a new Trek could be his next, and last project.
https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/26/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-final-movie-retire/

versusreality
07-26-2019, 03:28 PM
so I've heard. part of me is on the fence about that. I'm not a Trekkie or trying to come off as a QT gatekeeper, but I wish (hope ? ) his last project is something he directs AND writes.

ItsChrisRoss
07-28-2019, 01:04 PM
Really loved the movie. Leo and Pitt were standouts and a joy to watch. Everything about it was top notch. It is long, but his last two or three films were just as long (Inglorious, Jango, Hateful). Loved the twist ending because I was basically trying to figure out the whole time how he was going to do it. It surprised me and was a total Tarantino move in the best way possible.

I literally feel like Iíve never seen a Tarantino movie I didnít like except Jackie Brown (sorry for those who liked it). The guy can do no wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GulDukat
07-28-2019, 02:20 PM
One small compliant--I thought that the movie was pretty unfair to Bruce Lee in its portrayal.

ItsChrisRoss
07-28-2019, 02:23 PM
One small compliant--I thought that the movie was pretty unfair to Bruce Lee in its portrayal.

When watching the movie, I was wondering if he was that big an asshole in real life. If not, Iíd have to agree with you.

Krazy
07-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Really good, but probably not great, movie. Great cast and production, fucking top notch. They nailed everything and Brad Pitt’s character and acting was awesome.

It’s got too slow of a pace IMHO, or he could’ve made it about 30 minutes shorter. But yes, the ending is worth it.

Was Bruce Lee really an asshole?...

Wretchedest
07-28-2019, 09:29 PM
There's maybe q few too many musical montages in this movie they could have edited out.

It's also a deeply regressive movie. Not just in the typical Tarantino way, of being tone deaf, but also in it's suggestion that that old indulgent masculine Hollywood was great enough to save, when in fact, even today we are still in process of trying to kill it.

GulDukat
07-29-2019, 01:58 AM
The soundtrack is fucking awesome.

rampface
07-29-2019, 02:31 AM
Got to see the 35mm print in Nashville last Thursday (first showing!). I called the theater because I saw every showing was sold out except the first and the lady told me she just put up 4 tickets ten minutes ago and one was taken while I was speaking to her. So I quickly hung up and went to the site to buy a ticket and was able to get through! Since it was going to be sold out, I left my home and got there before the crowd and was second in line. Got some free posters as well.

As for the movie, I loved it. Brad Pitt stole the show. The ending was intense. This is probably as close as we'll get to a Tarantino "comedy". The only bummer for me was knowing Bruce Dern's character was originally meant for Burt Reynolds. I kept imagining him in that scene and it would have been so much more iconic.

Boots
07-29-2019, 08:15 AM
I noticed Rick Dalton rubbing his eyes when he was having that conversation with Marvin Schwarz in the restaurant. Al Pacino is notorious for spitting when he talks. That's why they call him Six Rows Al.

I admire Quentin Tarantino as a director, but I thought it was odd that he turned the Sharon Tate story into a movie that revolves around men. Hollywood has yet to make a proper biopic for that actress.
Margot Robbie has very few lines in the film. She's there mostly as a symbol or eye candy. We hardly see anything of Manson at all.

InsectGod
07-29-2019, 03:51 PM
I saw it last night and didn't love it. I didn't like the twist ending, even though a friend said I should have seen it coming because of the title of the movie. I want to rewatch it again. I thought it was good but I would have rather seen it play out more like it really happened. Maybe I just missed the point.

versusreality
07-29-2019, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't even say it's a Sharon Tate story, but rather a movie about a time period and setting as the main character.

ItsChrisRoss
07-29-2019, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't even say it's a Sharon Tate story, but rather a movie about a time period and setting as the main character.

I would say this is accurate. I think the problem is that like me, everyone associates it with the Sharon Tate story because they saw the trailer and simply came to that conclusion. I think the way you put it here makes a lot of sense.

rampface
07-29-2019, 05:10 PM
There's not really a "point" or reason for anything. Pure entertainment and a period piece about character interactions.

GulDukat
07-29-2019, 07:50 PM
I noticed Rick Dalton rubbing his eyes when he was having that conversation with Marvin Schwarz in the restaurant. Al Pacino is notorious for spitting when he talks. That's why they call him Six Rows Al.

I admire Quentin Tarantino as a director, but I thought it was odd that he turned the Sharon Tate story into a movie that revolves around men. Hollywood has yet to make a proper biopic for that actress.
Margot Robbie has very few lines in the film. She's there mostly as a symbol or eye candy. We hardly see anything of Manson at all.I really liked the actual footage of Tate from the movie The Wrecking Crew--it showed modern audiences what a budding starlet she was, what potential she had--it really came across as a tribute, imho.

Here is a good write-up with some good quotes from Tate's sister.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-margot-robbie-sharon-tate

Jinsai
07-30-2019, 03:15 AM
I wasn't liking it, or the way the audience around us was reacting to scenes... listening to people laugh their asses of at stuff that I didn't think was funny or intended to be funny... and while that's not the movie's fault, after 2 and a half hours of waiting for something other than character piece interaction, we walked out. At some point, I'll get around to seeing how it ends.

ManBurning
07-30-2019, 05:30 AM
I'm really surprised with all the praise this movie is getting... I found this film absolutely TERRIBLE! Such a sleeper.
I've never seen a film this polarizing before. People are either loving it or hating it.
Someone above said Tarantino can be very hit or miss, and that statement couldn't be further from the truth.
It's weird how his films have his audience so divided.

The last 30 mins was awesome though. I liked how it ended, but the 2+ hrs that you had to sit through to get there wasn't worth it.
My girlfriend fell asleep half way through as well. She totally slept through the only redeeming part of the film, in my opinion.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it. Just wasn't for me. And for the record, I LOVE the Hateful 8 for what it's worth. I think that's his 3rd best film.
I know there were some comments above about how someone liked "Hollywood" more than that film.

I'd write more, but I currently only have 1 working arm. Had to break my "resting and recovery" of my broken arm to throw in my 2 cents here.

GulDukat
07-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Rotten Tomatos:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once_upon_a_time_in_hollywood

84% of critics and 72% of audiences enjoyed the movie.

Jinsai
07-30-2019, 01:33 PM
funny, gauging from what people are saying, we walked out of the theater right before the movie finally got great? I dunno... I'll need to catch it some other time. I've honestly enjoyed every other movie Tarantino's made, so I'm a little surprised by how much of a bummer this felt like.

imail724
07-30-2019, 01:35 PM
I wasn't liking it, or the way the audience around us was reacting to scenes... listening to people laugh their asses of at stuff that I didn't think was funny or intended to be funny... and while that's not the movie's fault, after 2 and a half hours of waiting for something other than character piece interaction, we walked out. At some point, I'll get around to seeing how it ends.
What were people laughing at that you think wasn't intended to be funny? I mean, this was far from some super serious drama. I found it to be pretty generally lighthearted and found a lot of scenes to be very funny.

Jinsai
07-30-2019, 02:11 PM
What were people laughing at that you think wasn't intended to be funny? I mean, this was far from some super serious drama. I found it to be pretty generally lighthearted and found a lot of scenes to be very funny.

I thought some of the stuff with DiCaprio struggling with addiction and having a mid-life identity crisis was just kinda sad, but people were guffawing their asses off. Felt weird.

imail724
07-30-2019, 02:20 PM
I thought some of the stuff with DiCaprio struggling with addiction and having a mid-life identity crisis was just kinda sad, but people were guffawing their asses off. Felt weird.
I get what you're saying, but I think much of those scenes were framed in a way to make them come off as comical; the way they were edited, quick cuts and all that. Tarantino is certainly no stranger to framing dark elements from a comical angle, so I think a lot of it was intentionally humorous.

Toadflax
07-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Tarantino's becoming the new Tim Burton for me. The more he makes shit like this, the less I care he made a few good movies once.

GulDukat
07-30-2019, 08:07 PM
funny, gauging from what people are saying, we walked out of the theater right before the movie finally got great? I dunno... I'll need to catch it some other time. I've honestly enjoyed every other movie Tarantino's made, so I'm a little surprised by how much of a bummer this felt like.Man, why would you leave early? I mean, you spend $20.00 on tix, had to drive there...why not finish the flick?

imail724
07-31-2019, 10:34 AM
https://youtu.be/cPR43PhX6PE

konstantin
07-31-2019, 12:34 PM
i felt like i watched a 10 hour movie that has been cut down to 3 a hour scene reel which felt very 2019 because i don't know if anyone cares what's going on in the movies anymore. it's post-story telling i guess. which isn't necessarily bad, but i just didn't feel like QT's style landed itself well in that way. i watched NWR's Too Old to Die Young 13 hour epic and had no issues with the storytelling or pacing or whatever, so that's that

sonic_discord
07-31-2019, 07:26 PM
My wife and I saw it on Sunday night and while I will agree that it has some pacing issues (or perhaps it could have been trimmed down a bit), I was engaged the whole time. My wife, however, hated it. I could tell she was bored (she kept checking her watch) and she usually loves his movies—Kill Bill being her favorite. It was a slow burn, for sure, but like others have said, the ending was awesome, classic Tarantino and every second that Brad Pitt is onscreen was enthralling. Both Pitt and Leo gave fantastic performances, but Pitt was the highlight of the whole movie for me. The ending also reminded me of the ending of Inglorious Basterds in that it subverts your expectations by changing the course of history in a similar and excessively violent way by murdering the would-be murderers (Manson family and Hitler, respectively), yet the results are hilarious rather than horrific because of its over-the-top nature. But while I was watching it, once Cliff and Pussycat arrived at the Spahn Ranch, I began to dread what I assumed to be the inevitable ending of the Manson family murdering Sharon and her friends, so the actual ending elicited a sigh of relief (followed by laughing and "Jesus Christ!" reactions to the insane violence). It's like an alternate reality fantasy outcome that deals justice to those who deserve it rather than the innocent celebrities living next door. But yeah, seems people either loved it or didn't. I wouldn't place it in my top 5 Tarantino movies, but it was solid.

By the way, top 5 Tarantino films: Kill Bill Vol. 1, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained

Demogorgon
07-31-2019, 07:47 PM
Man, why would you leave early? I mean, you spend $20.00 on tix, had to drive there...why not finish the flick?

You apparently don't know Jinsai very well.

Haysey
08-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Man, why would you leave early? I mean, you spend $20.00 on tix, had to drive there...why not finish the flick?

As someone that goes to the movies regularly i can see where he is coming from, if you are really not enjoying the film the last thing you want to do is sit through another 1-2 hours of it when you could just go and do something you actually enjoy. Ticket prices are a big reason why more people don't just walk out of films they really aren't enjoying, but you can always ask for a refund if you leave early enough (whether you get one on the other-hand is down to the cinema)
Fun Fact i had a mate that hated Inglorious so much he walked out and got a refund, it can happen.

GulDukat
08-01-2019, 07:38 AM
I stopped Twister about 45 minutes into it--I thought it was really boring. That was just a rental though.

imail724
08-01-2019, 07:55 AM
I wanted to walk out of "Hail, Caesar" but didn't. I should have.

Substance242
08-02-2019, 03:53 AM
Looking forward to see this one. Btw interesting that Leonardo can "afford" to go away from movies for several years, after Revenant.

PS: I can't remember not finishing a movie or a book... or actually, even food. :-) Wait, recently I gave up on Suspiria on my first try but that was after several minutes when I realized I'm tired and not in the mood for something like that. (edit: at home, went to sleep)

Jinsai
08-02-2019, 02:43 PM

If I pay money for an experience and I find myself bored and annoyed, I’ll check first with my special lady friend, and if she feels the same, we get the fuck out and prance around somewhere else instead. Fuck the idea that I paid money so therefore I should get some transactional fulfillment. We walked out of the shitty Lion King remake too.

my time is valuable too, and I only have so much of it to waste doing stuff that I’m not getting paid for. I’ll check out the ending when it shows up on streaming services. Maybe watching it that way will sit better with me... but really? I’ll walk out of an overlong movie if all it’s doing is boring me and annoying me. I’m not a critic. This isn’t my job. Fuck it. I have better stuff to do.

zecho
08-02-2019, 03:42 PM
I wanted to walk out of "Hail, Caesar" but didn't. I should have.

Funny you say that, I've been describing this movie as "Tarantino does Hail, Caesar."

GulDukat
08-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Odd that the soundtrack via Amazon is made on-demand as a CDR. It's their number one album, you'd think it would be professionally pressed.

eversonpoe
08-02-2019, 09:32 PM
still haven't seen django or hateful 8

saw this with my mom (we saw both kill bills together in the theater back when they came out) on wednesday in 70mm at the music box here in chicago, which was incredible. first time i've seen anything in 70mm and it was honestly worth the $18/ticket.

loved the movie. while it's a love-letter to 60s hollywood, i think it's also an acknowledgement that the era has come to an end.

there was one moment during the big violent scene that was a bit too much for me but otherwise i enjoyed every minute of it.

also, when brad pitt took his shirt off, a guy in the back of the theater went "yeayuh!" and the whole audience giggled, which was followed up by him going "you were all thinking it!" and dozens of people went "uh huh" or "yeah!"

sometimes seeing a movie in a packed theater can be such a wonderful, communal experience.

GulDukat
08-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
8. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Proof
6. Hateful Eight
5. Kill Bill
4. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
3. Inglorious Bastards
2. Django Unchained
1. Pulp Fiction

Space Suicide
08-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
8. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Trap
6. Hateful Eight
5. Kill Bill
3. Inglorious Bastards
2. Django Unchained
1. Pulp Fiction

I got some issues with your listing. Reservoir Dogs near the bottom?

Also what the fuck is Death Trap? ;P I know you meant Death Proof.

I'm seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood this evening. Stoked!

ManBurning
08-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
8. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Trap
6. Hateful Eight
5. Kill Bill
3. Inglorious Bastards
2. Django Unchained
1. Pulp Fiction

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Hateful Eight
-3.5: True Romance*
4. Django Unchained
-4.5: Four Rooms*
5. Kill Bill
-5.5 - From Dusk til Dawn*
6. Jackie Brown
7. Once upon...
8. Death Proof
9. Inglorious Basterds

*I know these aren't full fledged 100% written/directed by Tarantino movies, but I still feel like they deserve to be included in. Mainly because they are hell of a lot better than some of his newer solo movies.

Also, haters are gonna hate, but "Basterds" to me is what "Hollywood" was to Jinsai. I hated that movie so much, I turned it off and found something better to do with my time. Thankfully, I never paid for it.
There were only 2 times I hated a movie so much I wanted to walk out, and only 1/2 of those times, I actually walked out. (I don't remember the film though). The 2nd time, I was very, very close to walking out and then 3/4 the way into the film, the theater had projection issues and the film cut out and the lights came on for like 10 mins. Theater manager came in and apologized for the issues and said they will be giving everyone free passes to another movie for the inconvenience after the film was done once they fixed the issues. So, that's the only reason I suffered though the rest of that film, was to get my free ticket, which essentially was like getting a refund. They probably knew it sucked anyway, lol. It was a Uwe Bol movie after all, hahahaha!

GulDukat
08-03-2019, 06:17 PM
I got some issues with your listing. Reservoir Dogs near the bottom?

Also what the fuck is Death Trap? ;P I know you meant Death Proof.

I'm seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood this evening. Stoked!Yeah, Death Proof. Death Trap was some video game from the 90's. As for Reservoir Dogs--I liked it, just don't think it's one of his best, ranks below most of his films, imho.

Jinsai
08-04-2019, 04:21 AM
I actually loved Basterds and Death Proof... and I'm not even sure I would say I hated Once Upon a Time... I just wasn't enjoying myself, didn't really feel like it was pulling me in, felt overlong... and I don't even know if I can really pass a final judgement on how I feel about a movie unless I watched the whole thing... Unless I absolutely hated it... like the Lion King remake. That sucked and I don't need to finish seeing it to know it was god awful. This, I dunno... not my thing, bored me to tears, I'm not saying I hated it, just that I wasn't liking it.

You can appreciate something you don't enjoy. There's movies out there that I thought were incredible, I just didn't enjoy them, etc... I can tell you that The Godfather is clearly an incredible movie, but really, for me it doesn't really play to me the way that films I personally love do. I can appreciate its artistry and understand why it's so celebrated. I've watched it and Pt2 once, and that was enough.

This, I really don't know. I wouldn't say it sucked. It just bored me, and I didn't wanna watch it anymore.

chuckrh
08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
saw it yesterday & thought it was brilliant.

richardp
08-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Really surprised to see people not enjoying this one. I fucking loved it. I'd say it's his best film since Basterds, but also his most mature film since Jackie Brown. The Manson family angle was so fun to see play out. It also felt really nice to not have to sit through a Tarantino film that just joys itself on saying the N word over and over again.

I don't know, I loved every second of it and I hope it gets him an Oscar.

Jinsai
08-04-2019, 02:59 PM
It also felt really nice to not have to sit through a Tarantino film that just joys itself on saying the N word over and over again..

agreed there, and it was surprising too considering the Manson aspect...

Triggermine
08-04-2019, 03:08 PM
also, when brad pitt took his shirt off, a guy in the back of the theater went "yeayuh!" and the whole audience giggled, which was followed up by him going "you were all thinking it!" and dozens of people went "uh huh" or "yeah!"

I went last night (loved it!) and a woman basically let out a moan during that scene and the theater cracked up.

eversonpoe
08-04-2019, 06:12 PM
I went last night (loved it!) and a woman basically let out a moan during that scene and the theater cracked up.

man looks good​. and as he ages he looks more like robert redford. i'm really enjoying it ;)

GulDukat
08-04-2019, 09:45 PM
RE: Reservoir Dogs. I think Ebert's review pretty much sums up the issues that I had with it. Although I might give it a 3/4 instead of a 2.5/4:

Now that we know Quentin Tarantino can make a movie like "Reservoir Dogs," it's time for him to move on and make a better one.

This film, the first from an obviously talented writer-director, is like an exercise in style. He sets up his characters during a funny scene ina coffee shop, and then puts them through a stickup that goes disastrously wrong. Most of the movie deals with its bloody aftermath, asthey assemble in a warehouse and bleed and drool on one another.

The movie has one of the best casts you could imagine, led by the legendary old tough guy Lawrence Tierney, who has been in and out ofjail both on the screen and in real life. He is incapable of uttering a syllable that sounds inauthentic. Tierney plays Joe Cabot, anexperienced criminal who has assembled a team of crooks for a big diamond heist. The key to his plan is that his associates don't knowone another, and therefore can't squeal if they're caught. He names them off a color chart: Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Pink,and so on. Mr. Pink doesn't like his name. "You're lucky you ain't Mr. Yellow," Tierney rasps.

The opening scene features an endlessly circling camera, as the tough guys light cigarettes and drink coffee in one of those places wherethe tables are Formica and the waitresses write your order on a green-and-white Guest Check. They argue, joke and b.s. each otherthrough thick clouds of smoke; it's like "The Sportswriters on Parole." There's a funny discussion of tipping. Then they walk out of therestaurant, and are introduced in the opening credits, as they walk menacingly toward the camera. They have great faces: The gloweringMichael Madsen; the apprehensive Tim Roth; Chris Penn, ready for anything; Tierney, with a Mack truck of a mug; Harvey Keitel, whosepresence in a crime movie is like an imprimatur.

The movie feels like it's going to be terrific, but Tarantino's script doesn't have much curiosity about these guys. He has an idea, and truststhe idea to drive the plot.The idea is that the tough guys, except for Tierney and the deranged Madsen, are mostly bluffers. They are not good at handlingthemselves in desperate situations.We see the bungled crime in flashbacks. Tarantino has a confident, kinetic way of shooting action - guys running down the street, gunbattles, blood and screams. Then the action centers in the warehouse, where Madsen sadistically toys with a character he thinks is a cop,and the movie ends on a couple of notes of horrifying poetic justice.One of the discoveries in the movie is Madsen, who has done a lot of acting over the years (he had a good role in "The Natural") but hereemerges with the kind of really menacing screen presence only a few actors achieve; he can hold his own with the fearsome Tierney, andreminds me a little of a very mean Robert De Niro.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/reservoir-dogs-1992

Space Suicide
08-04-2019, 10:23 PM
I did not see it last night. The 7:30 PM viewing was sold out....

Seeing it in two weeks on my next free weekend.

rampface
08-05-2019, 12:15 AM
I need to see Once Upon A Time again but my ranking is something like this...

1 Kill Bill
2 Inglorious Basterds
3 Pulp Fiction
4 Django Unchained
5 The Hateful Eight
6 Reservoir Dogs
7 Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
8 Jackie Brown
9 Death Proof

Kodiak33
08-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Mine (still haven't seen OUATIH):

1 Pulp Fiction
2 Kill Bill
3 Jackie Brown
4 Inglourious Basterds
5 Reservoir Dogs
6 Django Unchained
7 Hateful Eight
8 Death Proof

Toadflax
08-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Not being cheeky; I just find it really hard to differentiate between most of the post-2000 stuff, which (obviously) I'm not a fan of:

1 Pulp Fiction
2 Reservoir Dogs
3 Inglourious Basterds
4 Jackie Brown
8 Django Unchained / Kill Bill / The Hateful Eight / Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
9 Death Proof

BRoswell
08-05-2019, 10:46 PM
My ranking:

1. Jackie Brown
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Kill Bill
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Death Proof
6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
7. Django Unchained
8. Reservoir Dogs
9. The Hateful Eight

GulDukat
08-06-2019, 08:06 AM
I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).

eversonpoe
08-06-2019, 10:38 AM
I need to see Jackie Brown again. I last saw it in the theater in '97/'98. I just remember being somewhat letdown after the brilliant Pulp Fiction (arguably the best U.S. film of the 1990's).

jackie brown is probably his slowest burn but it's so good. the characters are so perfectly crafted, the music is incredible, and the atmosphere is probably the most rewarding aspect of the film. i love it.

neorev
08-07-2019, 12:53 AM
I haven't seen OUaTiH yet, but...

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Jackie Brown
4. The Hateful Eight
5. Death Proof
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Django Unchained
8. Kill Bill

dlb
08-07-2019, 04:46 AM
Funny to see everyone's ranking difffering so much. Here's mine with Death Proof and Basterds far behind, although Planet Terror really elevated the whole Grindhouse thing for me big time. I'm also a sucker for Western so go figure...

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. The Hateful Eight
4. Django Unchained
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Jackie Brown
7. Kill Bill
8. Death Proof
9. Inglourious Basterds (bonus points for Fassbender though)

sonic_discord
08-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.

r_z
08-07-2019, 05:15 PM
1. Kill Bill
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Jackie Brown
5. Death Proof
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Hateful 8
8. Django Unchained

neorev
08-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Weird to see Kill Bill, Django, and Basterds so low in many of the rankings here.

I love Inglorious Basterds, but I found Kill Bill and Django to be kinda ehhh. Not bad movies, but not Tarantino's best work when compared to others in his body of work.

After I made my list, I decided to rewatch Django Unchained just to see if I felt any differently watching it now. I only saw it a couple of times. It moved up ahead of Kill Bill, knocking Kill Bill to the bottom of the list.

I've seen Kill Bill numerous of times and was never enthralled with its characters like I am with characters from other Tarantino films.

BRoswell
08-07-2019, 07:57 PM

I think many people were expecting Pulp Fiction 2 and it was definitely not that, nor was it meant to be. After Kill Bill, Tarantino locked into a certain style, and while I've enjoyed most of what he's made since then (The Hateful Eight being the only exception), it's refreshing to watch Jackie Brown and see how he restrained himself after Pulp Fiction. It's not a flashy film (although it does have its moments of flash), and it's all the better for it. It's probably his most human story too. Jackie Brown's struggle to rise above her circumstances and come out on top is riveting stuff in my opinion. I would love to see Tarantino make a film like that again, but like I said, he's locked into a specific style now and I don't see him changing that any time soon.

sonic_discord
08-07-2019, 11:08 PM
https://youtu.be/cPR43PhX6PE

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I watched this after commenting on the movie here and Mike and Jay pretty much summed up exactly how I felt about this movie (love those guys). I agree with one or both of them more often than not, but this time I felt like they were reading my mind.

GulDukat
08-08-2019, 12:23 AM
Can't sit through a half hour those dorks.

GulDukat
08-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Saw this again and enjoyed it as much, maybe even a little more, as I see how well crafted and constructed the film is. During my initial viewing, I thought "This is overlong," or "Is this really necessary?" at times. However, upon my second viewing, I see how Tarintino had a masterplan, how everything truly does fit together. For example, when DeCaprio is talking to the child on the set and telling her about the book he's reading (how the protagonist is a shell of his former self), I wondered if it was necessary at first (I got that it was an analogy to DeCaprio's character), but now I see how pivotal that scene is. The movie is about Rick Dalton's (DeCaprio) rise, fall and rise again. Dalton tries to tell his story and struggle with the child, and when she later tells him "that was the best acting I've ever seen," he feels fully redeemed, like a Phoenix Rising from the ashes of being a has-been, and now his confidence has been restored. And the banter between the two is delightful.

I also better appreciate the final moments of the film, when Dalton and Tate finally meet, and the two stories told simultaneously come together. Also, as I mentioned in the Tarintino soundtracks thread, this soundtrack is fucking awesome. Awesome sampling of 60's rock, nothing super obvious, with some cool radio ads thrown in, to really give you the flavor of listening to the radio in 1969. And the quality is kind of crappy too, like you're actually listening to these songs on some cheap FM radio from Sears.

r_z
08-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Saw it yesterday and loved it!

1. Kill Bill
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Jackie Brown
5. Death Proof
6. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
7. Inglorious Basterds
8. Hateful 8
9. Django Unchained

GulDukat
08-16-2019, 11:13 PM
Interesting piece on the movie. Discusses sexism and other problems with the film. I don't know if I agree with him, but it's a thoughtful article. https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/8/15/20759084/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-controversy-bruce-lee-sharon-tate-women-explained-tarantino

Space Suicide
08-17-2019, 11:32 PM
Just got back from seeing this.

I really enjoyed it.

The moment I seen the Manson Family members slinking around in the car outside Rick's house and watched Cliff take Brandy for a walk (also finally connecting it was a pitbull for a reason) I knew there was going to be an alternate reality scene with the murders. Whether it was Rick and Cliff being killed or the Manson family themselves. I leaned to the latter due to Brandy and was proven correct. I still loved it though!

I also loved the Italian Spaghetti Western movie narration where it mentioned the director as Antonio Margeretti. It was one of the fake names the Basterds gave in the movie theater when they posed as Italian Directors at the movie premiere near the end of Inglourious Basterds. Love it.

GulDukat
08-18-2019, 09:41 PM
I also loved the Italian Spaghetti Western movie narration where it mentioned the director as Antonio Margeretti. It was one of the fake names the Basterds gave in the movie theater when they posed as Italian Directors at the movie premiere near the end of Inglourious Basterds. Love it.Missed that--always fun Easter Eggs in QT movies, i.e., Red Apple Cigarettes.
(https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Red_Apple_cigarettes)

Volband
08-21-2019, 05:15 AM
Poor Tarantino. As the RLM guys also said, he's one of the last real filmmakers, who has mainstream status, and he's still being bombarded by trash sites like Vox. ctr+f "straight male", "uncomfortable", "white", and you can essentially know the full article. It's adorable how the author is clearly struggles about violence against some of the biggest pieces of shits who ever walked this Earth. Yeah-yeah, they massacred some people, including a pregnant woman, and painted the walls with her blood, but on the other hand... they are women.

Everyone in the cinema (no, not full of white dudes, plenty of women, actually) was enjoying the scenes where the Mason filths (including the women) got brutalized, and it served its purpose. It delivered some sweet justice, plus made them look like absolute jokers. Obsessing with murderers, cult leaders, etc. is always trendy, it's always edgy to say shit like "you know what? Manson was right, and a visionary and a genius!", so it's a nice message to those kind of people that their heroes are nothing more than evil losers.

Another thing in the article was a slight complain about Manson not being there, when he was the mastermind it all. The same people who complain about that would give mad shit if Tarantino spent his sweet time setting him up as an extremely charismatic folk (which he was, so anything less would be unfaithful to history), claiming that he made Manson cool again.

I have huge respect for Tarantino, because he is making amazing and well-thought out movies in an era, where if 5 warrior women walks together for 10 seconds looking all mighty (Endgame) is considered a great piece of filmmaking, but if you berate some piece of shit who happens to be a woman, then hold on for a minute, let's write some kotaku, buzzfeed and vox articles about this, because I am literally shaking. I'm not saying every scene he does is great, but it's such a breath of fresh air that there is a movie I can think about. We can also argue about stuff not in a matter of "-that sucked! -no, that didn't suck, you suck!!", but to actually trying to interpret things, and what we think of them.

Sure, Tarantino would cry if he knew that by page 3 this thread turned into a rate your Tarantino movies, but still.

dlb
08-21-2019, 05:44 AM
I'm always baffled by these articles as I never seem to experience the movies like the people apparently do that write these critical articles... would it have been okay for them to show how the guy was horribly brutalized and the two girls just got shot? Jesus... On the other hand it's a movie about 1969, so I don't expect this to follow the moral code of 2019 or what is regarded as such. In no way did that movie point me in the direction that the action that was taking place is good or bad and left it very much open.

Thinking about the movie again after having caught a German showing for free I have to say that this is one of Brad Pitt's finest roles. I really warmed up to him again after I didn't enjoy most of what he's been doing the last couple of years.

Volband
08-21-2019, 06:58 AM
It was interesting to me how the main characters were being packed out over time. Sharon went from a regular Hollywood silly girl to a really loveable person, and Cliff went from a guy who is probably living some secret second life and going to backstab everyone to just a really cool dude and a great friend. This movie just oozes positive vibes by the end. Hateful Eight (one of my favorite movies ever) was a bunch of selfish, bad people backstabbing eachother in the cold, dark winter, while One Upon has these likeable, sympathetic people trying to help others in a colorful, sunny environment. They are flawed, but they mean good.

Was there even a non-Manson related character, who was a bad person? Bruce Lee may have came across as an ass for the first time, but then we saw how he patiently helped Sharon practice. Al Pacino's character looked and talked like your regular evil manager, but he was trying to help Dalton to at least don't go completely broke.

That being said, I can't blame anyone who don't like this movie, because it's not an easy watch, especially if you have no knowledge about the Tate murders.

Pillfred
08-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Just saw this last night. I really enjoyed it. Will be adding this to my rotation of films to revisit again.

GulDukat
09-05-2019, 04:28 PM
OUATIH might also get the four hour Netflix treatment:

https://news.avclub.com/brad-pitt-confirms-that-tarantino-is-considering-a-once-1837906765

sonic_discord
09-06-2019, 01:35 AM
1. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (both if they count as one)
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (If we're counting them separately)
5. Django Unchained
6. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (only saw it once)
7. Reservoir Dogs (I haven't seen it in over a decade)
8. Jackie Brown (only saw it once)
9. Death Proof (only saw it once)

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet.
I also reserve the right to reevaluate any of the aforementioned films and adjust my list as I see fit.

Swykk
09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
01 Inglorious Basterds
02 Kill Bill
03 Reservoir Dogs
04 Django Unchained
05 Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
06 Pulp Fiction
07 Death Proof
08 Jackie Brown
09 The Hateful Eight