PDA

View Full Version : Billie Eilish

elevenism
06-09-2019, 08:35 PM
So, I discovered Billie Eilish over the past few days, and I REALLY like a lot of it.

The breathy, whispery vocals, lovely over dubbed harmonies, and melancholy lyrics, really do the trick for me, as do the simple, but, insanely catchy melodies.

The production, a lot of which is done by her brother (if I'm understanding correctly,) is often minimalistic in JUST the right way, and kind of like a breath of fresh air.

And I love the horror tropes and, purposely provocative "illuminati/" occult imagery, found in the videos and some of the lyrics.

It's weird: I don't usually get into these pop princesses much-tbh, I don't get into much of ANY new music these days- but tHIS stuff just works on me. It just really grabs me and gets stuck in my head. I don't like her saying things like "duh," but I think she was fucking 16 when she recorded this new album, so I can give a pass to the occasional goofy word.

This track, for instance, just fucking KILLS me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbMwTqkKSps

It REALLY sticks with me. I look forward to hearing the whole album.

Are any of you guys feeling it, too?

gerbil
06-09-2019, 08:37 PM
I got turned on to her by a friend and I’ve been hooked for awhile. I love the juxtaposition between layered and complicated and minimalist. It’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrLobster
06-09-2019, 08:40 PM
I like that she's a performer. She has ideas and her and brother seem to have fun executing it. Personally, I wish her vocal styling was, I guess... more confident (or present), but I get it.

chuckrh
06-09-2019, 08:52 PM
ya, she's 1 to watch (& listen to). although quite different cup of tea, i'd liken her to Lorde. there's hope out there...

GulDukat
06-09-2019, 10:50 PM
Meh. I think she's pretentious and her music does nothing for me. But I'm 39 and this isn't music meant for me.

Space Suicide
06-09-2019, 10:54 PM
you should see me in the crown in the only song I (guiltily) like. Outside of that she's mostly crap.

ManBurning
06-10-2019, 02:34 AM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - You and I are in a similar boat. I too discovered her a few months ago, probably a month before her record dropped. I kept seeing the name "Billie Eilish" over and over and over everywhere in my news feed, on news sites, social media, on my YouTube. I was like "What the hell is a Billie Eilish" I just kinda laughed at it, I thought it was something else at first so I never paid any attention to it.

I think the breaking point got the best of my curiosity when a Vancouver show was announced and in 20 mins flat it was sold out. and tickets were selling for $400+ So I said "OK, enough is enough. What is so popular about this Billie Eilish. I need to know"

and the very first song I watched was "When the Party's over" and man, I was HOOKED. I couldn't look away. I was mesmerized. Her singing just grabs a hold of you, gives you goosebumps. I moved onto "Bury a friend" next, and once again, I was completely captivated with what I was seeing and hearing. She had my full undivided attention.

Her debut LP "Where do we go, when we all fall asleep" is fantastic. I don't often listen to and find new music that speaks to me, but this record is one of the best I've heard in a while. I'm in my mid 30s and I don't think I am the demographic she is trying to reach, but I don't care, her singing is amazing and the beats are awesome.

Kodiak33
06-10-2019, 07:02 AM
I can't get into her either...I don't know what it is.

ltrandazzo
06-10-2019, 07:25 AM
I got her record recently and bopped it with a few songs before getting lost in some other new releases, but I plan on coming back and giving it a full listen. I really liked what I heard and I dig her whole vibe.

Swykk
06-10-2019, 07:29 AM
When her song was used for a NXT Takeover, I ad-libbed lyrics to make it about poop (“You should see me when I brown”) because 1) the song isn’t good and 2) I’m not above juvenile humor. I will laugh at high and low brow stuff.

eachpassingphase
06-10-2019, 11:32 AM
I enjoy her a lot, but more than anything I'm excited to hear what she sounds like in 2-5 years. Her lyrics just need some time, because it can be cheesy and try-hard. But she's still a teenager and frankly, that's what I would expect. The combination of her and her brother is a good one, her voice is legit and I like the imagery too.

I'm a fan, but mostly I'm just waiting around for her writing to mature just a little. I think there's something special there.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-10-2019, 01:20 PM
The debut made me fall for her talent, with whatever songs were out before that were hit and miss for me. Her voice and lyrics can be haunting at times and I want more of that.

bobbie solo
06-10-2019, 02:44 PM
if you like some of her stuff you've heard like I've heard, do NOT watch her Hot Ones interview. That turned me off to her before I even got to hear her music. So now I'm torn haha.

brotha52
06-10-2019, 11:16 PM
I discovered her during the Couchella live stream. I was enamored with the way she worked the crowd.
Been down the rabbit hole of content ever since.
I'm a big covers fan and I've been blown away at how many covers exist for every song on the album.
https://open.spotify.com/user/129194119/playlist/2lk6Q4gujE4A9Y0k53Ly0B?si=nfyBocP9QbCjcQaytgNkzg

elevenism
06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Her debut LP "Where do we go, when we all fall asleep" is fantastic. I don't often listen to and find new music that speaks to me, but this record is one of the best I've heard in a while. I'm in my mid 30s and I don't think I am the demographic she is trying to reach, but I don't care, her singing is amazing and the beats are awesome.
So, I finally listened to the whole album, and, I agree: it's fucking stunning.
I honestly think that if this album were just a LITTLE different, and, that if she and her brother were marketed as a band, and none of this "industry plant" hype had occurred, they could have been critical indie darlings.

But yeah, I'm with you, @ManBurning (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=33) . The singing is amazing and the beats are awesome. I also like the themes explored, which, I think, to a certain degree, are ABOUT an artist who has achieved instant fame through nefarious means.

I'm 39, and it's VERY rare that I find new music that "speaks to me," too. There is definitely something really special here, and I REALLY don't care, at this point, how she got famous. I just don't . I'm too old for that shit. I feel like she's kind of pushing the narrative that she sold her soul to the devil, and, in fact, I REALLY like that.

Like @eachpassingphase (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6678) , im also quite interested to see where she goes as she matures.

ultimately, she is one of 6 artists I've really gotten into in the past six or seven YEARS, so, yeah, I'll take it.

Edit: I'm a HUGE fan of The Office these days, so I'm grateful for Rainn Wilson for introducing me to her.

eachpassingphase
06-17-2019, 04:21 PM
If I had a hope of talking Trent into working with one new artist, producing or remixing one track even, it would be her. I think he could balance some of her weaknesses and really help her shine on a track.

I know she works closely with her brother and it's a formula that seems to work well, but if she ever branched out to work with anybody else, I would love to see her work with Trent. I'm kind of sad that he hasn't taken any new artists under his wing lately, because he's really gifted in that area and I'd love to see him do that again someday.

elevenism
06-18-2019, 09:52 AM
If I had a hope of talking Trent into working with one new artist, producing or remixing one track even, it would be her. I think he could balance some of her weaknesses and really help her shine on a track.

I know she works closely with her brother and it's a formula that seems to work well, but if she ever branched out to work with anybody else, I would love to see her work with Trent. I'm kind of sad that he hasn't taken any new artists under his wing lately, because he's really gifted in that area and I'd love to see him do that again someday.
I look forward to seeing her work with Tyler, the Creator, which is something I expect to happen. They are two artists currently topping the charts, with sort of off kilter sounds.

DVYDRNS
06-18-2019, 11:05 PM
im sick of the "im a stupid satanic / illuminati moron" kitsch that is flooding the airwaves lately.

stupidity and low IQ is not something to be celebrated or promoted. I feel dumber just watching her videos.

shame because the music isn't terrible.

elevenism
09-29-2019, 05:45 AM
im sick of the "im a stupid satanic / illuminati moron" kitsch that is flooding the airwaves lately.

stupidity and low IQ is not something to be celebrated or promoted. I feel dumber just watching her videos.

shame because the music isn't terrible.
Seriously? It's flooding the airwaves? I actually kind of like that sort of thing. Who else is doing it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid, btw, although I guess that's debatable, because I do a lot of stupid shit :p
I'm certainly not "low iq," though.

I actually like the imagery, almost as a horror trope sort of thing.

elevenism
09-29-2019, 05:52 AM
I wonder when we get a new album.

My wife and I still listen to this one in the car, a LOT, and it just gets better and better. We live in a very remote place in texas, and, as such, all of our Drs appointments and the like are 1.5 hours away, so, we listen to a lot of music in the car. It's been pretty much Billie all summer, with a bit of Igor by TTC- at least, up until the new Tool album came out.

brotha52
09-29-2019, 08:54 AM
First exposure was her Coachella set and was immediately impressed with her control over the crowd. The album dropped that weekend and I've had my finger on the pulse since. This podcast in particular gave me hope for what's to come.

https://youtu.be/nZzHf5Kg2pE

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-29-2019, 08:55 AM
I listened to the album so much, I kind of played it out. So I added most of it to my favorites list that I play on shuffle, so it's a nice surprise.

wight rabbit
09-29-2019, 12:17 PM
This was pretty cool: https://youtu.be/Jn1Uwsg3eRQ

Space Suicide
09-29-2019, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o61BiBCXMCI

Amusing.

ManBurning
09-29-2019, 03:24 PM
She announced an arena tour for next spring.
Can't believe how fast she blew up. When she came here last June, she played a venue that was 5,000 capacity.
There's a Vancouver date on the new arena tour, my girlfriend and I might check it out. Depending on prices of tickets.
We don't care to be super close or anything, so cheap seats will suffice. On sale next Friday.

03/09 – AmericanAirlines Arena – Miami, FL
03/10 – Amway Center – Orlando, FL
03/12 – PNC Arena – Raleigh, NC
03/13 – Wells Fargo Center – Philadelphia, PA
03/15 – Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
03/16 – Prudential Center – Newark, NJ
03/18 – Capital One Center – Washington, DC
03/19 – TD Garden – Boston, MA
03/20 – Barclays Center – Brooklyn, NY
03/23 – Little Caesars Arena – Detroit, MI
03/24 – United Center – Chicago, IL
03/25 – Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Indianapolis, IN
03/27 – Bridgestone Arena – Nashville, TN
03/28 – Enterprise Center – St. Louis, MO
03/29 – CHI Health Center Omaha – Omaha, NE
04/01 – Pepsi Center – Denver, CO
04/04 – The Forum – Los Angeles, CA
04/05 – The Forum – Los Angeles, CA
04/07 – Chase Center – San Francisco, CA
04/08 – Golden 1 Center – Sacramento, CA
04/10 – Tacoma Dome – Seattle, WA
04/11 – Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena – Vancouver, BC

thenorthwood
11-02-2019, 12:46 PM
The beats are very infectious, although I wish her vocals were a little louder on her album. That’s referring to the mix on the album and not the way she delivers the vocals. She performed at Summerfest in Milwaukee this summer and the organizer said that was the quickest selling show in the history of the festival. Her performance was great and it was impressive how she commanded the audience given her age and inexperience relative to many other artists. I liked her concert more than expected and will be seeing her again next year.

Kodiak33
11-15-2019, 02:16 PM
The new song is fucking great.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-15-2019, 03:22 PM

New?!? Had no idea.

ManBurning
11-16-2019, 02:01 AM

I wasn't sure about it at first. Took a few listens. I prefer the upbeat Billie with some mad beats, lol.
It's a slow burn, but it's pretty good.

New?!? Had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTMq7xvdXU

Oh, and to touch base on my post above about her 2020 tour dates... The show in town here sold out in 2 mins... The whole venue sold out. The whole bloody arena. Every seat. Cheap garbage nosebleeds and all. I was blown away. No cheap nosebleed Billie for the girlfriend and I, haha.

Nosebleeds going for like $350 a pop now. Better seats are closer to $700. Hah!

MrLobster
02-13-2020, 06:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_S2qFh5lU

snichols
02-13-2020, 06:56 PM
Fuuuck that song is amazing! She continues to blow me away. I would love if she would record a duet/collaboration with Jimmy Gnecco (Ours).

GulDukat
02-13-2020, 07:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_S2qFh5lUNot really my thing, but not bad. Works pretty well for a 007 theme.

MrLobster
02-19-2020, 06:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I1ZU5g1QNo

snichols
02-19-2020, 06:32 PM
I just watched this video about 5 times and every time she hits that high note I tear up. Billie is incredible and never ceases to amaze.

Erneuert
02-20-2020, 01:53 AM
I was lolling at the comments with people being depressed saying how she’s 18 and recorded a Bond theme, and they’re in their 40’s or whatever and haven’t accomplished cooking a proper meal.

katara
02-20-2020, 05:00 AM
I was lolling at the comments with people being depressed saying how she’s 18 and recorded a Bond theme, and they’re in their 40’s or whatever and haven’t accomplished cooking a proper meal.
Born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Most people who actually try go their whole lives being unnoticed. Only the elite, the lucky, or those who work their arses off achieve their dreams. That's how society works now. It's geared towards big conglomerate companies selling products to human cattle who do nothing but consume.

Erneuert
02-20-2020, 07:53 AM
Born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Most people who actually try go their whole lives being unnoticed. Only the elite, the lucky, or those who work their arses off achieve their dreams. That's how society works now. It's geared towards big conglomerate companies selling products to human cattle who do nothing but consume.

Yeah, it does help with her mother being her mother. And her 22 year old brother has an amazing career too.

She does have a very nice voice though.

Archive_Reports
02-20-2020, 07:58 AM

Hahaha, what?! Are you saying people who work their asses off don't deserve success? You cover luck and elite up there, so I'm not really sure what else you could want.

botley
02-20-2020, 08:17 AM
Anyone who gets Hans Zimmer and Johnny Marr to perform on stage with them is okay in my book.

katara
02-20-2020, 01:18 PM

Hahaha, what?! Are you saying people who work their asses off don't deserve success? You cover luck and elite up there, so I'm not really sure what else you could want.
Not sure where you got that from. I said the opposite. An ordinary person needs to work and grind until something happens. Most burn out before that. However, even then, simply working hard doesn't always guarantee success.

Billie is part of the elite. No one uploads a song to Soundcloud and experiences instant fame and accomplishment, including label deals, brand deals, getting on both television and major motion picture soundtracks, and winning over 40 awards on their first record. It just doesn't happen in the real world.

richardp
02-20-2020, 03:28 PM
While I am not here to specifically shit on her, I just want to kindly point out, that I cannot remember anyone else in recent memory who was able to sell out a fucking arena show here in KC before their debut album was even released. Regardless of her music or talents, the vast majority of new artists could never EVER jump out the gate with that kind of marketing power. It really is kind of hard to argue that Billie Eilish isn't enjoying this level of success without having being somewhat served her career on a silver plate.

Also it really bothers me that every time her and her brother sing a duet together, it always feels like they are borderline about to fuck each other after the performance. Its so uncomfortable to watch those two sing together.

katara
02-20-2020, 03:46 PM
While I am not here to specifically shit on her, I just want to kindly point out, that I cannot remember anyone else in recent memory who was able to sell out a fucking arena show here in KC before their debut album was even released. Regardless of her music or talents, the vast majority of new artists could never EVER jump out the gate with that kind of marketing power. It really is kind of hard to argue that Billie Eilish isn't enjoying this level of success without having being somewhat served her career on a silver plate.
Yes, absolutely.

Let me add that there is nothing wrong with enjoying music that's been made in this way. It's the exact same thing with Babymetal, which is also heavily manufactured. One just has to be aware that this stuff comes from a place of insincerity, and shouldn't feel put down because they can't achieve the same level of success. These bands have high-level board meetings and marketing teams behind them. They didn't just pop up overnight.

Boots
02-21-2020, 09:38 PM

Also it really bothers me that every time her and her brother sing a duet together, it always feels like they are borderline about to fuck each other after the performance. Its so uncomfortable to watch those two sing together.

I stumbled upon a youtube clip of Billie and her brother performing at the Greek Theatre. They're sitting together on a bed that's suspended in the air and singing an acoustic version of "I Love You." Finneas has his arm wrapped around Billie when he isn't playing his guitar. From a distance, they look more like lovers than siblings. Also, Finneas's new girlfriend is a dead ringer for Billie. Tell me that's not creepy.

brotha52
02-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Tell me that's not creepy.
That's not creepy. The creepy part is the whole world of manufactured imaging that pushes narratives like the ones you mention as a means of generating more revenue.
There is no bad press, or whatever.

richardp
02-22-2020, 01:39 PM
That's not creepy. The creepy part is the whole world of manufactured imaging that pushes narratives like the ones you mention as a means of generating more revenue.
There is no bad press, or whatever.

It's not manufactured imaging when at fucking SURFACE LEVEL to anyone who is BARELY paying attention, it looks like they are always about to rip each others clothes off when the performance ends. It's fucking creepy.

wight rabbit
02-23-2020, 05:26 PM
Also, Finneas's new girlfriend is a dead ringer for Billie. Tell me that's not creepy.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/content/uploads/2019/07/Billie-Eilish-637x397.jpg

Well, then...

MrLobster
10-01-2020, 05:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BboMpayJomw

elevenism
08-05-2021, 11:10 PM
So I was scared to listen to the new record because the last one was PERFECT, but i'm about halfway through and it's PRETTY damn good.

Also...Jesus...

https://youtu.be/Fcd8UbutjIg

We are now aware that Billie and Finneas are aware of NIN, I think.

Kodiak33
08-06-2021, 09:17 AM
Her and Finneas are extremely talented, I'm waiting to give this a proper listen.