PDA

View Full Version : Disney+

october_midnight
04-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Probably deserving of its own thread with all the news that has been announced, the start date, $7 price point, new Marvel shows, etc. Ad-free service launching Nov 12, 2019 for $6.99/month or $69.99/year. Will likely bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ in the future.

https://twitter.com/robertiger/status/1116468755180036096?s=12

neorev
04-11-2019, 10:40 PM
They bundle Hulu with Spotify now. As for the Marvel shows announced so far, they were more like documentary shows about Marvel. Movies like Monsters Inc., The Sandlot, and Love, Simon are being turned into TV series. I read The Sandlot will have the original cast returning. The female version of High Fidelity movie turned TV series has been moved to Hulu instead of Disney+ because it is considered too adult for the family oriented content they're going for.

So far a lot of content seems to be very kiddish/young adult. Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1058831-disney-unveils-launch-date

buckaroo
04-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.

Star. Wars.

Jon
04-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Nothing so far is making want to drop more money on another streaming service.

Disney Vault and all of The Simpsons.

Wretchedest
04-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Everything in 4k HDR too. It's super disruptive given the way market saturation has already hurt Netflix, Hulu and amazon

sonic_discord
04-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Seeing Star Wars: A New Hope on there give me a new hope of a cleaned up theatrical release (not just the 1997 Special Edition). Either way, I've owned the DVDs and Blu-Rays for years, but having them all digitally would also be nice.

And yes, I'm very excited to see The Mandalorian and the new Marvel shows (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision, Loki, The Falcon & the Winter Soldier).

Jinsai
04-12-2019, 02:38 AM
I'd give it a shot. I'm actually considering cancelling some of my streaming options that I don't use enough, this might fill in a void w/ the random sort of crap I might feel inclined to consume, but not necessarily care enough about to own.

And if they put Star Wars cleaned up and unspecialized in this, boom.

Haysey
04-12-2019, 03:13 AM
Of all the streaming services i have (mainly anime) i might add this one just for the Star Wars and Marvel original shows (i'm not big on Disney animated, but i know 4 people who are and would likely love a password) though once i've caught up on the bits i want i'm not sure i'll keep it (once i caught up on the shows i wanted in Netflix i binned that)

Jord
04-12-2019, 04:12 AM
I'm definitely jumping on-board for this one, new Marvel stuff always a plus, and all of The Simpsons and Star Wars movies too, plus Pixar? A very exciting prospect for a nice price.

buckaroo
04-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Everything in 4k HDR too. It's super disruptive given the way market saturation has already hurt Netflix, Hulu and amazon

I am one of those people who just keeps paying for Netflix even though the content is terrible in my opinion. I feel like their original content has been on a downward trend for a while now. Am I the only one?

Wretchedest
04-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Totally, their original conten is like 99% terrible and also clogs the lists so you can't find anything you actually want to watch. It's only a matter of time before that catches up to them

Kodiak33
04-12-2019, 08:01 AM
I am one of those people who just keeps paying for Netflix even though the content is terrible in my opinion. I feel like their original content has been on a downward trend for a while now. Am I the only one?

You're not the only one...plus I'm now paying out the ass for 4K HDR on Netflix....like 16 bucks a month. $7 is a steal...but I bet they'll go the route of Netflix and hook everyone first, then raise it yearly by $1 or something.

onthewall2983
04-12-2019, 08:05 AM
7 bucks a month is enticing enough to me to give it a spin for a month or two. I'm more interested in seeing how Hulu will benefit from this, possibly retaining the cancelled Marvel Netflix shows and in time I'm guessing becoming the home for 20th Century Fox's movies once it's existing deal with HBO runs out in 3 years. It went from having a terrible interface and not very interesting content to a powerhouse on it's own lately.

neorev
04-12-2019, 08:18 AM
What? Netflix has great original series. Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Mindhunter, The OA, A Series Of Unfortunate Events, and more. Their original movie's are ehh, but we do still have Scorsese's mob epic coming. Netflix have some of the best original series. Hulu has 1 good series, Amazon has zero. Netflix is the only one competing with HBO for shows. I'm sorry, but Netflix is not overprices. Even HBO is $15 per month and doesn't even have 4K. Can we stop turning movies into shows? Especially when you completely recast the show. I don't under the idea behind taking a good movie and then get a bunch of other people to play the same roles. Amazon pulled that crap with their horrible Zombieland and Hanna and it's happening more often.

Disney Vault and all of The Simpsons.

I can live without watching another episode of The Simpsons for the rest of my life. Disney vault? As in their cartoons? I can pass. Star Wars and Marvel are getting boring after the same formula being regurgitated over and over and over again.

Star. Wars.
I'm sorry but watching old Star Wars movies is still not enough to continually pay a monthly fee. If you're a real Stsr Wars, you probably already own the movies in various versions. So now you're gonna pay a monthly fee to watch the same movie again. Hell I can throw an a certain app and watch Star Wars movies for free right now.

Again, Disney will just be making family oriented content, which thrilling. You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.

ltrandazzo
04-12-2019, 08:32 AM
You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.

And that's what Netflix and Hulu and Prime Video are for.

I'm a Marvel, Star Wars and NatGeo fan so this is a win for me and that price is excellent. I'll definitely get more out of it than a CBS All Access, for example.

neorev
04-12-2019, 08:39 AM
And that's what Netflix and Hulu and Prime Video are for.

I'm a Marvel, Star Wars and NatGeo fan so this is a win for me and that price is excellent. I'll definitely get more out of it than a CBS All Access, for example.

Oh man, CBS All Access is a joke. That will implode. You should read the comments on the new Twilight Zone Facebook when people discovered you needed to pay for the streaming service. It was baaaaaad.

All of these streaming services, more and more each day, it will come back to bite us the consumer on our asses and we'll be longing for the day when we had what will become cheaper cable packages we all thought was overpriced compared to when multiple streaming services take over and all raise their prices on us and surpassing a cable package. Or too many streaming services will become unsustainable and they will all have to unite to create their streaming cable service to survive. They all begin to bundle with each other. For the price of $99.99, you will get HBO Go, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, CBS All Access, etc.

Haysey
04-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Some of these services will start falling sooner or later, we've already started having that with anime streaming (Daisuki and Veiwster are already dead, Amazons anime strike was binned (amazon continues to be trash at anime) and it's getting more splintered by the month...and it's just ONE GENRE OF MEDIA!) We have SO many new streaming services in the pipeline there's no way they'll all survive. Disney+ is the only one i can see lasting thanks to it's collection of existing content and growing catalogue, and people will always plump of Netflix as it was the original and still has some great ongoing shows, plus i can see them picking up the rights for shows caught out by some services dying.

Jon
04-12-2019, 10:41 AM
I can live without watching another episode of The Simpsons for the rest of my life. Disney vault? As in their cartoons? I can pass. Star Wars and Marvel are getting boring after the same formula being regurgitated over and over and over again....

...Again, Disney will just be making family oriented content, which thrilling. You won't get a show like Mindhunter on Disney+.

You are coming off as a very miserable person.

onthewall2983
04-12-2019, 11:31 AM
I'm not too excited about them getting all episodes of The Simpsons especially since FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.

sonic_discord
04-12-2019, 12:09 PM
FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.

I forgot they did that. That is a good point. Hopefully they allow you to choose between the originally broadcast 4:3 ratio and the cropped 16:9 widescreen.

marodi
04-12-2019, 02:31 PM
My question is: is it going to be available in Canada, and when? I've read somewhere that we'll get it only at the end of 2020.

If this is right, well, as Ian Malcolm so famously said: life will find a way. But when it does become available, I'll fork the 7 bucks a month for it.

In the mean time I'll keep binge watching NatGeo.

neorev
04-12-2019, 10:10 PM
You are coming off as a very miserable person.

I just rather something new. So far everything Disney+ has announced seems to rely on an existing franchises. Hell, if desperate, there's so many books out there that can be turned into series or movies. But instead we get another Star Wars or we get a movie based on Zombieland. It's all sequels or reboots.

Wretchedest
04-12-2019, 10:22 PM
I actually think the bubble will burst before long and this is actually the strongest sign yet, because of the pricing and the quality of the content.

I want to say complaints about Netflix have been piling on for a few years now. Yes they have a handful of very strong original shows and movies. That is totally true. But that represents the minority of the content they produce and now most of what they recommend is self produced content, so they're recommending stuff that might no interest at least me personally, almost 100% of the time. I have to go diggin to find something I want. Nevermind the the now rampant speculation about where the Marvel Shows will land. Netflix has hemhoragged quite a few of the better shows it had to Hulu: Sunny, Parks, 30 Rock (those are some of my favorites). So Hulu is actually decently positioned although their movie library is so bad as to be actually bizarre, that is changing a bit.

Netflix has another chief competitor in Prime, which comes as almost an extra to a service that is chiefly about something else. Prime has better movies than Hulu and decent originals, in fact I would say prime has debatably the best show "on TV" right now, Mrs. maisel. Prime probably has the most atrocious interface of the bunch. It's horrible. But you can tie the service to HBO which adds a lot of value. Criterion Channel has almost all of the art house stuff locked down.

But my point is, Netflix is already in a tough position and I don't think they even realize it. They have strong compeition and I think consumers are already feeling the market saturation and will cut something at the moment it feels expendable.

And this thing, Disney+, is all hits, in super high quality at a fraction of the price. If we're talking about an average household and they get one or two of these services, I think Netflix gets the Axe.

Space Suicide
04-12-2019, 10:28 PM
I'd only use it for original Star Wars content. I have no interest in anything else they have to offer and what does interest me I own on DVD/blu-ray.

bobbie solo
04-13-2019, 03:33 AM
i'll keep torrenting everything under the sun and use my mom and brother's Netflix & Prime login's on occasion.

Frozen Beach
04-13-2019, 08:01 AM
I love prime and it is the service I use the most. It has a lot of b movies/horror films/foreign films you wouldn't think would be on it.

elevenism
04-13-2019, 08:25 AM
The answer is Plex.

theimage13
04-13-2019, 09:43 AM
The answer is Plex.

Best $75 I ever spent.

allegate
04-13-2019, 11:54 AM
I'm not too excited about them getting all episodes of The Simpsons especially since FXX cropped older episodes to fit modern screens.

Netflix did that with Malcolm in the Middle. Bad bad stupid decision.

Frozen Beach
04-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Netflix did that with Malcolm in the Middle. Bad bad stupid decision.
Malcom in the middle isn't cropped for widescreen. The problem is it ISN'T cropped for 4:3, which is why on the widescreen version, you can see errors on the side of the frame.

SM Rollinger
04-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Malcom in the middle isn't cropped for widescreen. The problem is it ISN'T cropped for 4:3, which is why on the widescreen version, you can see errors on the side of the frame.

Shows that aired in 4:3 originally should never be cropped for widescreen, period.

Dragonball Z and the first 3 seasons of the X Files are some of the worst offenders.

Frozen Beach
04-14-2019, 12:19 AM
Shows that aired in 4:3 originally should never be cropped for widescreen, period.

Dragonball Z and the first 3 seasons of the X Files are some of the worst offenders.

I disagree with X Files. It was very well done. Both should be available, however.

If you want a truly bad example, look at Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

sonic_discord
04-14-2019, 11:47 AM
They will also have a show about Hulk and She-Hulk that features Mark Ruffalo as well as a Monsters, Inc. spin-off show featuring Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprising their respective roles. Disney seems to be going all in on this. It seems like every day I'm hearing about yet another new show that'll be on Disney+.

allegate
04-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Seriously? Like, just last night I was wondering how they'd introduce She-Hulk in the movies and you're telling me there's a show? Cool.

OK, so what's stopping Universal from partnering with Disney to make a Hulk movie? I don't know the specifics of the deal, something about solo movies, but I think that after seeing them work with Sony on Spider-Man that Universal would be amenable.

Haysey
04-15-2019, 05:47 AM
Wait...She-Hulk is coming...SERIOUSLY...DISNEY LISTENED TO ME?!

eversonpoe
04-15-2019, 01:44 PM

from what i have experienced, they give you the option in the settings menu on the app for how you want to watch the older episodes (zoomed or 4:3 with pillar box)

onthewall2983
04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
If this is aiming to be shown in 4K, then they might keep the old episodes at the original AR.

Somewhat unrelated but I'm noticing that HBO is showing more and more films in their original AR, as opposed to pan-and-scan them like they've done forever. The whole argument about black bars is as antiquated as the old tube televisions that facilitated that point to begin with, and hopefully that's what HBO is getting hip to now.

Jon
04-15-2019, 07:37 PM
If this is aiming to be shown in 4K, then they might keep the old episodes at the original AR.

Somewhat unrelated but I'm noticing that HBO is showing more and more films in their original AR, as opposed to pan-and-scan them like they've done forever. The whole argument about black bars is as antiquated as the old tube televisions that facilitated that point to begin with, and hopefully that's what HBO is getting hip to now.

I'm of the (more extreme) opinion that changing the aspect ratio is destroying the director and/or cinematographer's original intent. Ultimately, you take what you're given with certain releases, especially for home media.

I read a few articles that claim Disney (through ESPN+ and Hulu) plan to lose a little over $2 billion dollars this next year just to get this thing off the ground and be competitive with Netflix.

Mantra
04-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Yeah, the $7/month price tag is just a loss leader.

Wretchedest
04-15-2019, 10:37 PM
The price tag looks like a knockout punch in households where people have one or two services

neorev
04-21-2019, 03:11 PM
The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d3q45v/bittorrent-usage-increases-netflix-streaming-sites?utm_source=dmfb&fbclid=IwAR0I82IcYsMl87eQd8eKAAb4ekXv844MuAJKcCA6t FN-ARgQD6RINaQJClU

neorev
04-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Disney+ Content Lineup Will Be Less Than 20% of Netflix’s but Disney Has Higher-Rated Titles
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-netflix-streaming-content-comparison-1203193967/

onthewall2983
04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
To be fair, their competitors have a lot of crap no one would watch if they weren't on Netflix or something else.

neorev
04-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Disney+ platform won’t include “racially insensitive” scenes from classic movies

https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney-wont-include-racially-insensitive-scenes-classic-movies-2480370

Wretchedest
04-24-2019, 09:37 PM
I read a list of things *leaving* Netflix in May, and on it were a bunch of movies I would have liked to check out but had no idea we're on Netflix because of the way the algorithm has prevented me from seeing almost everything they have that they didn't produce.

GulDukat
04-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Disney+ platform won’t include “racially insensitive” scenes from classic movies

https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney-wont-include-racially-insensitive-scenes-classic-movies-2480370As far as the original Dumbo is concerned, release it as is or don't release it at all. Cutting the crow scene is fucking stupid.

neorev
04-25-2019, 09:52 AM
As far as the original Dumbo is concerned, release it as is or don't release it at all. Cutting the crow scene is fucking stupid.

I'm afraid how far Disney is gonna go with this. This is only the beginning and they'll probably be recutting many more movies.

GulDukat
04-25-2019, 10:03 AM
I'm afraid how far Disney is gonna go with this. This is only the beginning and they'll probably be recutting many more movies.They could have someone give an introduction to the movie and explain why the scene is considered racist and offensive, give it some historical context. Cutting it completely is taking something uncomfortable and sweeping it under the rug.

Jon
04-25-2019, 11:22 AM
They could have someone give an introduction to the movie and explain why the scene is considered racist and offensive, give it some historical context. Cutting it completely is taking something uncomfortable and sweeping it under the rug.

This is exactly what they should have done, considering they already have precedent for doing this sort of thing. The "Treasures (https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Treasures-Chronological-Donald/dp/B0000BWVAG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0000BWVAG)" line of DVD releases had introductions by Leonard Maltin, providing historical context.

onthewall2983
04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Warner Brothers did the same for some of the DVDs of their old cartoons too.

Hopefully if this gains enough traction someone can put together a petition for them not to do this.

Wretchedest
04-25-2019, 12:55 PM
I don't think cutting it is sweeping it under the rug. It's proactively eliminating it from the work because it's a problem. A 4 year old kid isn't going to want to watch Leonard Maltin or have a clue what the fuck he's talking about.

I'm sure if someone need to see these scenes, for whatever reason, they're available in some other medium.

GulDukat
04-25-2019, 01:11 PM
I don't think cutting it is sweeping it under the rug. It's proactively eliminating it from the work because it's a problem. A 4 year old kid isn't going to want to watch Leonard Maltin or have a clue what the fuck he's talking about.

I'm sure if someone need to see these scenes, for whatever reason, they're available in some other medium.An introduction wouldn't be for a four year old, it would be for say ten and up, who make up a massive amount of people watching the movie. Cutting the scene is wrong not only because it is sweeping a problematic scene under the rug, it also changes a work that's already been released to the public (see George Lucas), and it ruins the movie, as the crow scene is pivotal and the story and would be confusing without it. The crows are the ones that tell Dumbo he can fly. Don't fuck with it or don't re-release it at all.

neorev
04-25-2019, 04:04 PM
I watched Dumbo as a child and guess what? The crow scene didn't make me a racist. It is stupid to cut it and honestly folks should see what Disney allowed back in the day and they shouldn't be able to hide and remove their past mistakes. It would be better for there to be an opening statement before the movie begins about the scene.

Wretchedest
04-25-2019, 06:21 PM
I think the notion that these are some complete works of art that can't be tweaked in service of either a singular vision or the preservation or observation of how things were made. Dumbo for instance is a children's cartoon, nobody is going to give a fuck if it's missing one stupidly racist scene even if it does vaguely fuck with the continuity.

It doesn't violate whatever shred of artistic integrity these movies might have. I also think it's absurd to compare this to what George Lucas did to star wars, a move based on ego and self consciousness, mostly oriented at special effects. This is a change eliminating a racist characature from a work which is simply the right thing to do.

It's not even close to Erasure, as isn't the removal of a Confederate statue. These scenes, and these ideas, and Disney's legacy are extraordinarily public and viewable through other media, they couldn't bury that past even if they really wanted to. Even the signal of the intention means it isn't Erasure, it's the elimination of something that needs to be eliminated, absolutely mercilessly.

GulDukat
04-25-2019, 07:07 PM
If you want to be consistent there are a lot of old movies that are racist/sexist. Why stop with Dumbo? Gone With the Wind is far worse. James Bond movies/novels? Can't watch those either. I would say just edit the offensive content but you wouldn't be left with much of a movie.

onthewall2983
04-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Comcast thinking about selling off it's 30% share to Disney. (https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/comcast-is-pondering-a-sale-of-its-minority-stake-in-hulu-to-disney.html) This could have significant meaning to what will go on Disney+ and Hulu, which could be fashioned as the home of Disney's more mature programming along with the broader Fox catalog.

Jon
04-25-2019, 09:58 PM
I think the notion that these are some complete works of art that can't be tweaked in service of either a singular vision or the preservation or observation of how things were made. Dumbo for instance is a children's cartoon, nobody is going to give a fuck if it's missing one stupidly racist scene even if it does vaguely fuck with the continuity.

It doesn't violate whatever shred of artistic integrity these movies might have. I also think it's absurd to compare this to what George Lucas did to star wars, a move based on ego and self consciousness, mostly oriented at special effects. This is a change eliminating a racist characature from a work which is simply the right thing to do.

It's not even close to Erasure, as isn't the removal of a Confederate statue. These scenes, and these ideas, and Disney's legacy are extraordinarily public and viewable through other media, they couldn't bury that past even if they really wanted to. Even the signal of the intention means it isn't Erasure, it's the elimination of something that needs to be eliminated, absolutely mercilessly.

Just so we're clear: by "absolutely mercilessly" you mean without context, yes?

Wretchedest
04-26-2019, 03:28 PM
There's enormous context that's my whole fucking point is that even if you present the film on its own it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

There's definitely a case to be made that this should be done where films are being presented like this where possible. I haven't seen Dumbo since I was like 2, but from what I understand the racial issues boil down to these few characters in a small amount of time that is easily removed from the movie. A movie where that really isn't going to tarnish whatever artisitic merit a few people think it has.

Gone With the Wind, I have not seen at all I have some understanding of what ots about, one reason why I haven't seen it actually, from my understanding it issues are much broader and pervasive throughout, and can't be cut with just a scene. On the other hand being an old, long drama it doesn't run the same risk as Dumbo as being presented to children unable to grasp those nuances.

The prime offender for James Bond I would assume to be You Only Live Twice. I actually do think it's most chiefly offensive sequence might be removable, although there might be some more subtle issues throughout that are inextricable. There's a case to be made that this component of the movie makes it transparently stupid, but that nuance is difficult for some. The pervasive mysogyny in the series is another story. It's not just one 3 minute sequence in given movie, it's indemic. It can't be removed. So how do you deal with it? I don't know. That's a different cultural scale, I don't think a lot of people really care about Dumbo, but there's absolutely a lot of attachment to James Bond. James Bond is absolutely a sort representive or even influential icon of toxic masculinity, a notion that we as a culture are barely capable of having a conversation about. There's maybe a bit of chicken and egg situation as far as... As we grow up, maybe we will care less about that series. But it's much more complex than removing a given character or scene.

neorev
05-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Ron Howard is in Talks To Make a Willow Sequel Series For Disney+
https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1064021-ron-howard-is-in-talks-to-make-a-willow-sequel-series-for-disney

sonic_discord
05-02-2019, 12:10 AM
Here's a list of what will be available on day 1. (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/disney-heres-whats-available-on-day-1/1100-6466202/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a)

Haysey
05-02-2019, 03:20 AM
Here's a list of what will be available on day 1. (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/disney-heres-whats-available-on-day-1/1100-6466202/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a)

...wait, so they are going to have Avengers Endgame, Iron Man and Iron Man 3...that's it? No Infinity War? No Iron Man 2?...that seems odd.

ltrandazzo
05-02-2019, 10:34 AM
...wait, so they are going to have Avengers Endgame, Iron Man and Iron Man 3...that's it? No Infinity War? No Iron Man 2?...that seems odd.

You can watch Iron Man 2 on Hulu right now for some reason. Infinity War will still be on Netflix when Disney+ launches, I believe.

bobbie solo
05-02-2019, 10:54 AM

existing contracts.

sonic_discord
05-02-2019, 10:56 AM

I'm sure they will eventually find their way there. Also notably absent is Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Haysey
05-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Ahhh you're all very much correct, thank you. It'll be awhile before Disney have all there movies fully in house for whatever contractual reasons.

GulDukat
05-04-2019, 06:04 PM
I just saw The Black Hole for the first time in ages. Maybe Disney's bleakest movie.

onthewall2983
05-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Disney takes full control of Hulu "effective immediately" (https://deadline.com/2019/05/disney-gains-control-of-hulu-in-landmark-deal-with-comcast-1202614392), now with a "put/call" agreement with Comcast/NBC/Universal until 2024.

bobbie solo
05-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Not good. Disney buying Fox has been and will continue to be a disaster. Never should have made it past a judge in court.

sonic_discord
05-14-2019, 03:54 PM
This comes as no surprise to me whatsoever. It's exactly what I've expected them to do once the Fox acquisition rumor gained steam.

onthewall2983
05-14-2019, 03:56 PM
It's not great, but it doesn't seem to be too bad especially if they can market the Fox/FX stuff through it, separate from Disney+ which is appealing more directly to kids/families. Plus it sounds like they are going to keep a lot of what they have already, certainly content from Universal through 2024.

onthewall2983
08-19-2019, 11:58 AM
My question is: is it going to be available in Canada, and when? I've read somewhere that we'll get it only at the end of 2020.

You'll be getting it on the same day it launches (https://deadline.com/2019/08/disney-international-launches-1202671080)

marodi
08-20-2019, 06:22 PM
^^
Thank you so much! :)

onthewall2983
09-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Just launched in the Netherlands (https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/d32r60/disney_just_launched_with_a_2_month_free_trial_in)

allegate
10-15-2019, 11:22 AM
very important twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/NotOnDisneyPlus/status/1183784145992011776

neorev
10-29-2019, 04:43 PM
Disney Is Quietly Placing Classic Fox Movies Into Its Vault, and That’s Worrying
https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html

Rdm
10-29-2019, 07:02 PM
For me after I see a marvel movie I donít need to see it again, as for Star Wars pass, Disney movies no. Iíll pass

allegate
11-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Coming to Amazon devices!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20954072/disney-plus-amazon-fire-tv-deal-agreement-launchI was getting worried I'd have to buy another box for this one thing. whew.

Haysey
11-12-2019, 03:41 AM
Disney+ confirmed not coming to UK until March 31st...welp guess i'm hunting for some torrents for the Mandalorian :eek:

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-12-2019, 11:28 AM
People completely losing their shit on Twitter is nothing short of hilarious for the app not functioning literally HOURS after its release.

Shadaloo
11-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles trending on Twitter makes me smile.

Also: #Maclunkey FTW. Bless George Lucas.

allegate
11-12-2019, 05:03 PM
So George did indeed Change that scene but added that word. Weíve heard that word before

https://twitter.com/swankmotron/status/1194310850695200768

Toadflax
11-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Finally watching Zootopia for the first time and very much looking forward to checking out The Mandalorian tonight.

The site is lacking from some obvious features like a "Continue Watching" option on startup and a way to tell it what you've seen / haven't seen / like / don't like, but it seems decent for launch day.

allegate
11-12-2019, 05:46 PM
what are you talking about? you're supposed to like everything there, it's Disney for Pete's sake.

Conan The Barbarian
11-12-2019, 08:36 PM
4k Star Wars means closer for harmy and crew to work and release a 4k despecialized edition.

Conan The Barbarian
11-12-2019, 08:45 PM
4k Star Wars means closer for harmy and crew to work and release a 4k despecialized edition.

onthewall2983
11-12-2019, 11:04 PM
First thing I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq49DqLxdWc

Space Suicide
11-12-2019, 11:11 PM
Ah yes, the next step for an entertainment monopoly for Disney begins today.

I still might check out the Mandalorian but only as a free trial when all episodes air. Meh.

bobbie solo
11-13-2019, 03:56 PM
using my brother's account for the free year he got through Verizon. Where did I start? Well...perhaps you had better start from the beginning (name the song that used this sample!)

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/mickey-mouse-steamboat-willie-gif-6.gif

elevenism
11-13-2019, 05:32 PM
is there no Mandalorian thread yet? it was so fucking awesome, the first episode

eversonpoe
11-13-2019, 06:34 PM
using my brother's account for the free year he got through Verizon. Where did I start? Well..."perhaps you had better start from the beginning" (name the song that used this sample!)

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/mickey-mouse-steamboat-willie-gif-6.gif

isn't it a white zombie song?

allegate
11-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Astro-Creep 2000:
Sample overview[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Astro-Creep:_2000_%E2%80%93_Songs_of_Love,_Destruction_a nd_Other_Synthetic_Delusions_of_the_Electric_Head&action=edit&section=7)]

#
Title
Samples[20] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro-Creep:_2000_%E2%80%93_Songs_of_Love,_Destruction_a nd_Other_Synthetic_Delusions_of_the_Electric_Head# cite_note-20)

"Electric Head Pt. 1 (The Agony)"

"Perhaps you had better start from the beginning" is taken from the 1957 horror film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film) The Curse of Frankenstein (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_of_Frankenstein).

Jinsai
11-13-2019, 07:04 PM
Mandalorian is fucking great

eversonpoe
11-14-2019, 12:17 AM
Mandalorian is fucking great

100% agreed

awesome design? check
fantastic score? check
some amazing cameos? check (especially brian posehn haha)
that old "star wars" feeling mixed with a gritty, darker tone? check

some of the CGI is a bit rough, but it's not unbearable. i much prefer the little bits of puppetry we got, especially salacious crumb's cousin in a cage.
IG-11 was particularly awesome. i love taika waititi so much.
and can we talk about how fucking adorable that baby yoda was!?!? i still don't think we've ever found out the name of yoda's species, but whatever it is, they're so freakin' cute when they're tiny!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-14-2019, 12:39 AM
Costume design is so on point. Everything oozes Star Wars from the environment, down to the practical effects. Really hope we see more of Waititi's character!

bobbie solo
11-14-2019, 02:02 AM
anyone using the app through a PS4? Can't get the subtitles to actually appear on screen even when activated.

I have spoken.

Haysey
11-14-2019, 03:40 AM
OK quick question, do you think i'd be able to use it with a VPN?

dlb
11-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Mandalorian certainly looks good, but the story for this was a bit wonky I have to say. Loved Werner Herzog in this and I really really adore the design for our title character mixed with the Star Wars/Spaghetti Western/Blade Runner soundtrack.

I guess if you liked Rogue One this is just for you and I can't wait for more. Just wished the episode lasted maybe 20 minutes longer. 38 minutes was a tad too short for my taste.

october_midnight
11-14-2019, 09:27 AM
100% agreed

awesome design? check
fantastic score? check
some amazing cameos? check (especially brian posehn haha)
that old "star wars" feeling mixed with a gritty, darker tone? check

some of the CGI is a bit rough, but it's not unbearable. i much prefer the little bits of puppetry we got, especially salacious crumb's cousin in a cage.
IG-11 was particularly awesome. i love taika waititi so much.
and can we talk about how fucking adorable that baby yoda was!?!? i still don't think we've ever found out the name of yoda's species, but whatever it is, they're so freakin' cute when they're tiny!

Agreed with pretty much everything. I was thinking about a few plot points...

I don't think the IG unit was sent by Herzog's character, but rather someone else. He wanted the baby Yoda (no, in canon they've never said what the race is called) preferably alive, though the IG unit's main directive upon sight was to kill it. Perhaps two factions going after the same being, and my theory is of course the fact that it's most likely EXTREMELY force-sensitive. I think it was in Clone Wars (?) where everyone was going around kidnapping force-sensitive babies and children to harness their power.

I loved the first episode and can't wait until tomorrow to see the second, just wish it was longer than 38 minutes...it seemed to fly by.

Also, Dyn Jarren is a more badass name than Boba Fett. Don't @ me.

allegate
11-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Speaking of names...

https://twitter.com/tumblingsaber/status/1195005071022600192

buckaroo
11-14-2019, 12:35 PM
I thought the first episode was good. I am much more excited for the potential of the season now. Does anyone know if new episodes will be available at midnight?

october_midnight
11-14-2019, 02:16 PM
Speaking of names...

https://twitter.com/tumblingsaber/status/1195005071022600192

Yeah Bill confirmed it a few months ago, probably just another once scene cameo like we saw with Posehn and Nolte.

As for episode 2, the first dropped at something like 3am PT so I'd assume it's the same for tomorrow.

eachpassingphase
11-14-2019, 02:31 PM
My husband and kids are very excited about Star Wars and the Disney cartoons, but I didn't realize that National Geographic content would be on Disney+ too! I'm watching "Before the Flood" right now for the first time.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-14-2019, 02:40 PM
anyone using the app through a PS4? Can't get the subtitles to actually appear on screen even when activated.

I have spoken.

The app on PS4 works smoothly... Then it doesn't. It definitely needs some work for fluent play without little problems here and there. I re-downloaded the app for the subtitle problem and it worked.

ryanmcfly
11-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Digging the streaming service so far. We watched The Lady and the Tramp remake last night and it was cute, but nothing spectacular.

I loved the first episode of the Mandalorian. My only gripe is how short it was. I was really expecting it to be 40-55 minutes long.

Conan The Barbarian
11-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Watching all the old character shorts brings me back to my childhood. I am happy this service exists.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Watching all the old character shorts brings me back to my childhood. I am happy this service exists.

This. Also being able to watch a Playlist of the old X-men and Spidey shows and fall asleep to them is nothing short of amazing.

versusreality
11-14-2019, 07:12 PM
you guys have convinced me. I'll probably order it within the next two weeks.

richardp
11-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Being able to watch BRINK again was worth price of admission alone.

eversonpoe
11-15-2019, 12:28 AM

i had such a crush on erik von detten haha

he's...definitely not as cute as he used to be

dlb
11-15-2019, 03:58 AM
Hope a release date for Disney+ over here is coming soon. There are alot of shows I would love to see again in good quality. Especially Gargoyles for guilty pleausre, but apart from that there are quite a few original series that are intruiging.

Then again... I rarely watch Netflix these days, although there is plenty I have to watch. Shit's getting expensive with amazon, Netflix, Spotify and now Disney...

ryanmcfly
11-15-2019, 11:10 AM

I loved some of the Disney Channel original movies as a kid. I'll probably rewatch a few of them like Can of Worms, Halloweentown, Brink!, and Smart House. Can't wait to see how terribly some of these aged.

allegate
11-15-2019, 12:22 PM
started a show last night but it only played the voices, none of the music or sound effects were working. wtf kind of glitch is that?

imail724
11-15-2019, 01:35 PM
started a show last night but it only played the voices, none of the music or sound effects were working. wtf kind of glitch is that?
Haven't experienced that. Did you try a different show/movie or try it on a different device? I've been using D+ on my FireTV and haven't really had any issues so far aside from the lack of 4k and 5.1, but that seems to just be missing functionality, not an issue with the service itself.

allegate
11-15-2019, 01:40 PM
I did - right after that was Mando and it worked great. just a weird bug.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Seems every platform has a different bug or glitch. For me, the functionality has been progressively better by the day; mainly on my PS4.

bobbie solo
11-16-2019, 02:33 AM

probably an issue with the 5.1 encoding, and it wouldn't necessarily matter whether you were listening to it in 5.1 or not.

versusreality
11-16-2019, 05:13 AM
is there a "continue watching" tab? if not, does it let you pick up from where you left off? (haven't ordered it just yet)

onthewall2983
11-16-2019, 06:50 PM
No, unless you put what you are watching in the app's watchlist. But you can pick up where you left off.

versusreality
11-16-2019, 08:39 PM
thanks

Conan The Barbarian
11-16-2019, 09:35 PM
So Iím sitting with my daughter watching the original dumbo when I completely forgot about the sad moment with his mom. Fuckin a that tore me up. My wife came in asking if I was right, I just told her ďFucking Disney, manĒ.

eversonpoe
11-16-2019, 11:11 PM
So I’m sitting with my daughter watching the original dumbo when I completely forgot about the sad moment with his mom. Fuckin a that tore me up. My wife came in asking if I was right, I just told her “Fucking Disney, man”.

for some reason, my good friend's sister played "baby mine" at his wedding (per his request). everyone​ was crying.

theimage13
11-17-2019, 05:29 PM
By any chance, has anyone watched Boogedy yet? Really, really curious to know if it looks good as compared to other options that have been around lately.

Jinsai
11-17-2019, 06:10 PM
also, you can upgrade your Hulu to add Disney + for an extra buck a month, and get ESPN+ too if that's your thing.

allegate
11-17-2019, 09:52 PM
can you go the other direction? If you have D+ can you add Hulu?

Kodiak33
11-18-2019, 08:25 AM
also, you can upgrade your Hulu to add Disney + for an extra buck a month, and get ESPN+ too if that's your thing.

I bet I can't do that with the Hulu/Spotify deal at $10 per month...or can I?

eversonpoe
11-18-2019, 10:39 AM

are you fucking kidding me???​ why wasn't that advertised (or e-mailed out by hulu!?). if i had known i wouldn't have to drop so much money for the three-year subscription to disney+ all at once, i never would have done it. god damnit.

PhoenixML
11-18-2019, 11:51 AM
So my kids watched Aladdin 2&3, Little Mermaid 2, and Lion King 2 twice. Fun time.

Jinsai
11-18-2019, 03:30 PM
I bet I can't do that with the Hulu/Spotify deal at $10 per month...or can I?

I think you need to have Hulu with no ads, that's it, which you can upgrade to with the Spotify deal I believe.

are you fucking kidding me???​ why wasn't that advertised (or e-mailed out by hulu!?). if i had known i wouldn't have to drop so much money for the three-year subscription to disney+ all at once, i never would have done it. god damnit.

I just found out about it before my trial expired. It's still a decent price, but maybe call their help line and they can work it out with you.

can you go the other direction? If you have D+ can you add Hulu?

I think so... it's a little confusing but it considers them all a similar login if you go through the right portal. it's really weird that none of it is managed like a normal add-on subscription via Hulu.

neorev
11-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Off to a great start...

THOUSANDS OF DISNEY+ CUSTOMERS HAVE HAD THEIR ACCOUNTS HACKED AND PUT UP ON THE DARK WEB
https://www.nme.com/news/film/thousands-of-disney-customers-have-had-their-accounts-hacked-2569113

People have also had their account info changed on them.

eversonpoe
11-19-2019, 01:20 AM
Off to a great start...

THOUSANDS OF DISNEY+ CUSTOMERS HAVE HAD THEIR ACCOUNTS HACKED AND PUT UP ON THE DARK WEB
https://www.nme.com/news/film/thousands-of-disney-customers-have-had-their-accounts-hacked-2569113

cool. cool. cool cool cool.

fuck.

theimage13
11-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Off to a great start...

No one has had their account "hacked". Morons who use the same password for every single account and have already had that information breached in the past have - unsurprisingly - had their credentials guessed by simple bots that take pre-existing lists and try them on other services.

This "hack" didn't happen to you unless you're using passwords that were already stolen from other phishing expeditions.

edit: just to clarify, the accounts were not compromised due to a lack of security on Disney's part; they were stolen using simple tricks that can ONLY be stopped by using common-sense practices on the user's end. I'm not victim-blaming anyone because it's still the thieves' fault, but the users, not Disney, are the ones who bear the burden of making their accounts accessible to nefarious actors in the first place.

eversonpoe
11-20-2019, 02:45 PM
No one has had their account "hacked". Morons who use the same password for every single account and have already had that information breached in the past have - unsurprisingly - had their credentials guessed by simple bots that take pre-existing lists and try them on other services.

This "hack" didn't happen to you unless you're using passwords that were already stolen from other phishing expeditions.

edit: just to clarify, the accounts were not compromised due to a lack of security on Disney's part; they were stolen using simple tricks that can ONLY be stopped by using common-sense practices on the user's end. I'm not victim-blaming anyone because it's still the thieves' fault, but the users, not Disney, are the ones who bear the burden of making their accounts accessible to nefarious actors in the first place.

PS in case anyone doesn't know, the most secure passwords are not some bullshit combo of random letters and symbols, they're three unrelated words in a row. chickenballsurfing for example (you're welcome).

theimage13
11-20-2019, 02:50 PM
PS in case anyone doesn't know, the most secure passwords are not some bullshit combo of random letters and symbols, they're three unrelated words in a row. chickenballsurfing for example (you're welcome).

Do you have a source? I'd genuinely be interested in reading the explanation. (I'd heard in the past that something like a short phrase was "just as safe" as a totally random letter / number / symbol combo, but didn't get an explanation to why. My understanding has always been that anything with real words is relatively insecure because of "dictionary attacks".)

eversonpoe
11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Do you have a source? I'd genuinely be interested in reading the explanation. (I'd heard in the past that something like a short phrase was "just as safe" as a totally random letter / number / symbol combo, but didn't get an explanation to why. My understanding has always been that anything with real words is relatively insecure because of "dictionary attacks".)

i don't remember but i was told about it while taking a networking class. wish i had a linkable source.

allegate
11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
*takes notes*

Didn't work guys, it's not his password.

allegate
11-20-2019, 03:04 PM
There's an xkcd for that:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png

theimage13
11-20-2019, 03:14 PM
All right, this got me going down a rabbit hole, and now I'm on howsecureismypassword.net

According to them, the password "not password" would take 55 years for a computer to crack. Huh. (And before you try it, correcthorsebatterystaple would be guessed "almost instantly", with the comic above cited as evidence).

Sorry, this is wayyyyyy off topic.

eversonpoe
11-20-2019, 05:46 PM
There's an xkcd for that:

THAT WAS MY SOURCE! hahahahah thank you for remembering what i didn't!

october_midnight
12-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Milking it for literally everything it's worth...there will now be a Star Wars themed game show hosted by Ahmed Best on Disney+ in 2020. (https://io9.gizmodo.com/ahmed-best-is-hosting-a-star-wars-game-show-on-disney-1840173857)

allegate
12-03-2019, 02:51 PM
https://twitter.com/Scott_Bromley/status/1201911605413330944

the dude doing it is a huge game show nerd and won an emmy for the Arrested Development skit on the Star Wars Show so I think it's in good hands at this point.

Also bringing in Ahmed Best after the shit he's gotten is a definite........

*puts on shades*

+.

october_midnight
12-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Also bringing in Ahmed Best after the shit he's gotten is a definite........

*puts on shades*

+.

Delete this.

eversonpoe
12-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Delete this.

https://media.giphy.com/media/PcTzEWBzqiL5u/giphy.gif

uhYEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH