PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Harry Seaward
12-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I know there has to be some Nintendo fans there.

I have a Wii, DS Lite, and I just got a 3DS for Christmas. I also got Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Feels good, man.

Anywho, anyone else got a 3DS? Give me your friend code! Mine is 1075-1262-4154.

Rossva
12-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Lol - is there ANYTHING else out for any Nintendo platform other than some mario or zelda derivative ?

Oh my bad, you got "cooking mama" too right?!!!

Jinsai
12-27-2011, 09:19 AM
I've been trying really hard to get into Skyward Sword, but so far it's just been incredibly boring. Maybe I miss the days when Zelda games didn't bombard you with a sorry excuse for a plot and a three hour tutorial. I know a lot of people have been praising the motion controls in this one, but I'm just finding it to be frustrating and clunky. And what is up with the obnoxious and ugly characters in this world? I can overlook the shit graphics and crappy art style, but this faux Studio Ghibli look is really grating on me. I'm almost five hours into the game now, and it still feels like nothing has happened. When does this get good?

Wretchedest
12-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Thank you! I thought the entire internet had been trolling me or something. Between Uncharted and this... i just dont get it i guess, but everything in this new zelda is some combination of bland, clunky, boring amd unnecessary. I gave up when its failure to priperly detect my stick waggling properly continually lead to my demise. Still, i might give it one more chance....

fixate
12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I thought the game was fantastic. There are definitely some slow spots, and the motion controls are not something I would praise 100% like all the reviews out there.

Harry Seaward
12-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Anyone who says they don't like Mario or Zelda is a lying sack of shit.

And hate on Nintendo all you want, you can't deny their influence in gaming. Do you think Kinect or the PS3 equivalent (no idea what it's called) would be around if not for the Wii's popularity?

Jinsai
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Anyone who says they don't like Mario or Zelda is a lying sack of shit.

And hate on Nintendo all you want, you can't deny their influence in gaming. Do you think Kinect or the PS3 equivalent (no idea what it's called) would be around if not for the Wii's popularity?

My feelings toward the new Zelda game have shifted from boredom to extreme irritation. I'm not lying when I say that it's ugly or that the plot is stupid and unnecessarily in your face. I also do not understand how anyone could prefer these gimmicky unresponsive motion controls to a traditional game controller. I just got past the first boss, and that fight was horrendous. The wiimote fails to recognize that I'm pointing it "skyward" 90 percent of the time, but instead requires me to jiggle it until I hit the sweet spot. I'll swing my sword right to left, and the game will register the exact opposite.

How am I lying when I say that I just want to use a normal controller? You know who's lying? Anyone who says that controlling the camera in this game isn't a frustrating load of shit compared to simply nudging the right analog stick in any modern game that uses a less moronic control scheme.

Kinect is dumb, and Sony Move is only fun for arcade light gun games and the gimmicky sports game. Thankfully, practically no games for ps3 require motion controls, unlike practically every single fucking game made for the wii, without which it would just be an overpriced gamecube.

So far, the story blows, the world is garish and ugly, the characters are boring and lifeless, the giant duck things you ride around on are bullshit, the flying controls for them are just as bad as the unpatched version of Sony's Lair, the combat is clunky and frustrating, the puzzles are awful, and the game started with a horrible three hour tutorial. Enjoy it if that's your sort of thing, but I'm not having fun and I'm not "lying." Why the FUCK would I lie about it? I've been trying really hard to like it so I don't feel like I've wasted my money. So far I've gotten the most enjoyment out of my wii playing old nintendo games on virtual console.

Harry Seaward
12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Whoa, man. What I said was mostly in jest.

I agree that motion controls are almost always shitty. I prefer to use a Gamecube controller for almost every Wii game I've played (though Metroid Prime 3 with the Wiimote/Nunchuck is awesome). Also, I haven't played Skyward Sword so I can't comment on that.

Either way, my point wasn't really about the controls. It's a shame that SS only allows the Wii Motion Plus, but Zelda is a fantastic series. I just get annoyed by the Nintendo haters. Just because a gaming company tries to be more accessible doesn't mean they are shitty.

The Reason Being
12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I've been having a lot of fun with Nintendo lately! I bought an xbox and a nice big HD tv about 5 months ago but the xbox broke after like 3 so there goes that. Oh well. I've been a nintendo lover since 1994 or so...got a SNES, N64, GameCube, DSi, Wii & 3DS. Recently, Donkey Kong Country returns was my sole favorite game on any platform last year and Skyward Sword was an absolute treat. I try really hard not to sound like a fanboy when i talk about the controls, but I guess they gelled for me straight up. I genuinely didn't have a problem (other than the obligatory de-syncing of the wii mote but that was fixable at the click of a button) I get that it didn't work for others though, and i can totally see why. I would have preferred a normal control scheme but I was happy with what I got.

I'm also really glad I got to be a 3ds ambassador, i've been having a great time with the original Zelda & Mario's, Minish Cap, and Yoshi's Island. Mario Kart 7, 3D land, Ocarina 3D are all great too! Really enjoying the new free Letterbox app aswell, although I have to admit they were a bit late on that. Having 3ds friends has been completely pointless ever since you had the ability to do so until now, in which they've finally given us an option to actually communicate! Nintendo still have a lot of learning to do in regards to online functionality.

3DS code : 3523-2159-6079

(Harry, added!)

Wretchedest
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Lots of wii u information came out today. Release date, price, etc.... its not looking good.
You can pay 300 for an 8(?) Gb unit, or 350 for a 32 gb unit with a bunnch of frivolous crap.

Nintendos alienation from the industry at large is shown rather heavily here. By comparison, for the same money, you can buy a 250gb Ps3 that plays blu rays, has similar or better graphics, and comes with a game or two. 32 gb is absolutely negligible. I just had to replace my 360 for lack of memory, and im going to have to do the same with an 80gb ps3.

Most wii remotes dont carry over, they have to have motion plus. And the games line up, as expected, is mostly full of games that other consoles already have. Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 and New Super Mario 2 are exclusives. And while the former two are certainly a draw, im not sure how ready i am for another round if nintendo regurgutation. I felt burned by the wii, the 3ds, and the last zelda. Those consoles are getting a shockingly minimal amount of support, and i wonder if it wont be worse on this system...

To the gaming community at large, i think there are a lot if obvious missteps here. So the question is: is this nintendos last breath as a console manufacturer?

Space Suicide
09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow that's a bit lame...

Nintendo's last good console was the N64. It was up to date, ahead of it's time and the last great 'old-time' console before discs took off (which the original PS began). It also had amazing games and great versatility.

I fully loved and enjoyed my Gamecube back in the day but it could not stack up the the PS2 and Xbox in their heyday. The Gamecube was and still is horribly underrated as a console though.

Wii was a step down and the Wii U is only expanding on that front.

Ruined
09-13-2012, 11:21 PM
With that steep pricing, and the fact that the controllers have their own screen, I wonder how expensive a second controller will be for this console? After all, a basic PS3 controller runs approximately $50; what will that Wii U controller cost? At least $100? Wow!

fixate
09-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Judging by the Japanese pricing, the controller is basically half of the console price. But I can't stress enough that you'll probably never ever need a second. Nintendo mentioned it is possible that developers could support multiple pad controllers in their games, but they'd be out of their minds to outright FORCE it.

xmd 5a
09-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Bayonetta 2's exclusivity makes buying a WiiU a very very tempting proposition. If there's Smash Bros and Fire Emblem games in the works for the console (which there probably will be) it'll be a definite buy. I guess this new generation will be Nintendo's turn to take my money again, since I've gone N64 -> PS2 -> X360...

ManBurning
09-22-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm a sucker for Nintendo, always have been. Even though I find I usually play Xbox 360 more, there is just something magical about a new Nintendo system.
With that being said, i'm gonna pick one up for sure. So far the lineup has a couple decent games up my alley, New Super Mario Bros. U and Scribblenauts Unlimited and those are reasons enough for me to dish out the dough.

Stuff like 3rd party games like Bayonetta 2 and COD games do not intice me in the slightest. Everyone knows you buy a Nintendo consol for it's first party games - Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Starfox, Fzero, Kirby Etc...

I'm more of a "download" games guy anyway. With my xbox 360 95% of the games I play are XBL Arcade games anyway. I very, very rarely purchase a retail 360 game. i think I have 4 retail games in total and about 40 XBLA games, haha.

Conan The Barbarian
09-22-2012, 11:37 AM
After a few test runs and if I dig it, ill probably pick one up. The tablet feature sure is interesting. Curious to see how arkham city, aliens, and ac3 will play on the wiiU.

I thought the wii was just pure garbage, though I am thinking of picking up a used one just to mod it and play old school roms.

Space Suicide
09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I know this is selfish whore posting but I am going to sell all of my SNES games and the console along with two controllers. I'm gonna chuck it all on eBay but if anyone is interested here, please send me a PM!

ManBurning
09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
After a few test runs and if I dig it, ill probably pick one up. The tablet feature sure is interesting. Curious to see how arkham city, aliens, and ac3 will play on the wiiU.

I thought the wii was just pure garbage, though I am thinking of picking up a used one just to mod it and play old school roms.

That's pretty much what I use my Wii for. I have it modded with homebrew to play all the old school games, it's awesome.
90% of the wii's lineup was shovelware, but there were a few decent games that slipped through the cracks like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart... But yeah, overall it was kind of a weak system.

Wretchedest
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
! I didnt know you could do that. And ive been playing FF6 on my laptop which gets kind of frustrating....

Btw they specified that: the wiiu doe sNOT support a second tablet. So the tablets will not he for sale individually in the states.

RJK
09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
While the gamepad will not be for sale at launch the system does support two of them. None of the games will support it at launch, which is why they aren't selling them separate.

Jinsai
09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
why would you mod a Wii to play roms? Why not just buy a cheap PC and hook it up to your tv for that dedicated purpose?

I hated the Wii... You could count the good third party titles on one hand... and here Nintendo does it again by releasing last gen tech specs for their new system, thinking that by rushing it out the door before Sony and Microsoft reveal their plans they'll be able to sell a ton before people realize how underpowered it is. And they're probably right, but in the end, it'll be the Wii 1 all over again (which is great for Nintendo, because they somehow sold a billion units). Nintendo will release their awesome exclusive titles, which will all be obnoxiously hampered by whatever the Wii U's dominant motion/touchscreen control gimmick is (you shake the controller to make mario attack! It's so much better than pressing a button!), and third party developers will focus on the systems with more power (and actual online capabilities).

Apparently the online network for the Wii U is still a mystery, but all we know for certain is that private messages will take up to 30 minutes to deliver because of their extreme content filtering process.

I really wish Nintendo would just become a third party developer when it comes to the home console systems, and otherwise stick to the handheld market. But since they seem to have discovered a formula here where they sell shitty outdated hardware to people and make a large profit off each system sold, it's unlikely they'll stop. Maybe if the Wii U completely flops.

GoodSoldier333
09-22-2012, 02:50 PM
My contribution:

The 3DS was a ridiculous idea that was formulated by idiots who all wear glasses and didn't give a shit about their own eyes or the eyes of the millions of people around the world who were going to buy their new hand-held system. Best thing they did was give the option to turn that shit the fuck off.

Space Suicide
09-22-2012, 06:35 PM
My contribution:

The 3DS was a ridiculous idea that was formulated by idiots who all wear glasses and didn't give a shit about their own eyes or the eyes of the millions of people around the world who were going to buy their new hand-held system. Best thing they did was give the option to turn that shit the fuck off.

What I hate about 3D in general is the lack of thought and consideration for people like me that wear eyeglasses to see. Annoying.

I could give two fucks about 3D in games, movies or anything like that anyway.

ManBurning
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
When the 3DS came out, I played it for about 2 minutes in Best Buy before walking away all disoriented. It's true, the 3D really does a number on youe eyes (I don't wear glasses).

I told msyelf I was going to skip out on the 3DS bandwagon this time around, but I ended up getting one for my birthday. I NEVER play it with the 3D on, so yeah, the best thing they did was give it to option to turn in on/off. Plus the battery life on it stinks as it is when it's not in 3D, I think it only lasts like 4-5 hours, which is the worst battery life of a handheld ever. With the 3D turned on, it cuts that in half, so you can only get 2-3 hours of gameplay, what a joke!!

I had to buy a product called the NYKO power grip - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYKO-82109-NINTENDO-3DS-TM-POWER-GRIP-/290773914916?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item43b379d524, which signifigantly extends the battery life of this sucker to about 10-12 hours before dying, it's a great purchase.

But yeah, I HATE 3D shit with a passion. I go out of my way to find a theatre that's playing a movie I want to see in 2D to boycott the 3D version. The glasses just give me a headache and it's an overpriced gimmick.

Space Suicide
09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
When the 3DS came out, I played it for about 2 minutes in Best Buy before walking away all disoriented. It's true, the 3D really does a number on youe eyes (I don't wear glasses).

I told msyelf I was going to skip out on the 3DS bandwagon this time around, but I ended up getting one for my birthday. I NEVER play it with the 3D on, so yeah, the best thing they did was give it to option to turn in on/off. Plus the battery life on it stinks as it is when it's not in 3D, I think it only lasts like 4-5 hours, which is the worst battery life of a handheld ever. With the 3D turned on, it cuts that in half, so you can only get 2-3 hours of gameplay, what a joke!!

I had to buy a product called the NYKO power grip - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYKO-82109-NINTENDO-3DS-TM-POWER-GRIP-/290773914916?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item43b379d524, which signifigantly extends the battery life of this sucker to about 10-12 hours before dying, it's a great purchase.

But yeah, I HATE 3D shit with a passion. I go out of my way to find a theatre that's playing a movie I want to see in 2D to boycott the 3D version. The glasses just give me a headache and it's an overpriced gimmick.

You're not lying. I played the store demo 3DS when it came out. I played Street Fighter with the 3D on and it really made me feel sick to my stomach when I was playing it. It was/is horrible.

I don't have the option but I totally agree with you. This 3D fad is dumb, it doesn't even add much to high definition like they claim. Going back to what I said, it really sucks wearing glasses because I'm near-sighted and when I have to watch a movie in 3D I need to put the 3D glasses over my regular glasses and it's just uncomfortable, stupid and pain to do.

GoodSoldier333
09-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Glad to see it's not just me. Generally speaking, stuff like this doesn't affect me. But it does really infuriate me when someone i love, let's say a little brother or sister or son/daughter under the age of 10, gets something like the 3DS....only to get disoriented/sick from playing it + not be able to properly play it when away from home due to piss poor battery life. It's like...they're youngsters. They don't have the resources apart from parents to do their research about a product before they get it. They get excited about something new and want it right away. As a provider for them, it kinda kills me when i spend some amount of money on something to make someone i love happy and this is what happens. I'm going into a separate discussion perhaps, but point being...these things should all have been considered by Nintendo before releasing the 3DS.

Fixer808
09-25-2012, 05:20 AM
I gotta dig up my NES, get some original Legend of Zelda up in this piece.

liquidcalm
09-25-2012, 06:10 AM
all the WiiU stuff came out last week... anyone excited?
I really wanted to be, but I just can't bring myself to throw down the money. I got a Wii day one yet after a year or so it was sitting unused, soon after that I got a ps3, and then that was pretty much it. I think the same is going to happen here. And its not because I think it'll be a bad system in any way, but its just that I only have so much time to game these days and I'd rather do it in one place, and paying £250 odd to play games that are frankly very similar to ones I can already play seems a little steep. I can play touch screen games on my iPad/Vita.. I can play HD games on my Ps3 and PC games on the mac using bootcamp. So yeah.. It looks cool, but maybe not for me.
In other news I have a burning need to play the original super Mario Brothers on something that isn't a crappy emulator on my phone, I need controls damn it!

ManBurning
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
I am surprised that this thread never got bumped it being the Wii U release weekend and all. Did anyone get their hands on the new console here?
I managed to get the 8GB console... yeah, I know 8 GB is kinda inferior to the 32, but when you think about it, will 32 GB even be enough space down the road anyway? I am willing to bet that even the 32 is going to need an external HD eventually down the road. And even after 3-4 years of this systems life span, I bet any money that Nintendo is going to release a new and improved super machine, kinda like what they did with the xbox 360.

Buuuut, all that asside (and I am being brief here as I wrote for 15 mins straight only to have ETS crash on me.... and lost 15 mins worth of typing).
The new system is AMAZING!!!! holy smokes is this machine ever wonderful. I was skeptial at first, but wow am I ever impressed. Actually, I can't say I am too skeptical, I haven't really been following the news and reviews on the system. I wanted a pure unknown, unbiased, fresh experience to myself without getting people's positive and negative reviews in my head before playing this, and I think it paid off. I love the new system.

This system is a hell of a lot better and more exciting than the wii launch, especialyl the launch lineup. People say the lineup sucks, but compared to the Wii's launch, this is a million times better. I already have Nintendo land, New super mario bros U, Tank! Tank! Tank and Scribblenauts Unlimited. played Nintendo land for about 5 hrs straight on launch day with my girlfriend and we had so much fun. The thing this this game is you can change up your playing style to get a different experience each time. One person can take on the wiimote in one mode, while another uses the tablet. The commands are different depending what device you use, so if you get sick of using one setup in a game, just trade with another person to use a different set of controls. It's alot of fun and keeps things new and exciting.

I don't remember what other points I made before original post crashed, but I think I can live with that. Anyone else get or play the system? Interested in hearing what others here think about it.

RJK
11-21-2012, 06:42 AM
So far I love my Wii U. The love the gamepad. I haven't had a lot of time to play but I'm going to be playing New Super Mario Bros U and Scribblenauts Unlimited pretty hard today. So far nothing in Nintendo Land has grabbed me like some of the Wii Sports games but I will get to play the multiplayer games for the first time today.

My Nintendo ID is RJK-99 (Damn Nintendo for requiring six letters.) if you want to add me.

Mech
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I haven't followed ANYTHING about the Wii U. Some of the questions I would have:

Can I play my wii games on it? Is the Wii U higher resolution than the Wii? If yes to both, how will my Wii games look on it?
Can I use my existing Wii remotes?

I am thinking about picking one up if I ever see one, but I mainly only play multiplayer games when I have friends over, and really don't want to spend a bunch of money buying 3 more remotes again.

Mech
11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I just answered some of my questions by going to the Wiki page. Doesn't look like I'd be able to use my old wii remotes as I never got any of the Wii remote Plus ones.

RJK
11-21-2012, 08:31 AM
The Wii remote question depends on the game. Some need motion plus some don't.

ManBurning
11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, the wiimote situation is kind of odd, The old remotes seem to work most of the time, but every now and then a game will tell you to add on the motion plus adapter.

For instance, the regular wiimote works fine for New Super Mario Bros U, and for alot of Nintendoland, but it asked the wii motion plus adaptor to be attatched for the Metroid Blast mini game.

If you look on the back of the gamebox, it should tell you what controls are needed to play the game. The Nintendoland one shows a regular wiimote and then a motion plus icon as well, assuming you can use both.

I only had non motion plus ones as well, and I made the mistake of buying 3 brand new ones as well, and I may not need them. 2 are still in their packaging, so I might return them. You don't need to buy a all new wiimote, you can actually just by the wii motion adapter accessory (if you can find one) they are only $8-12 on eBay. I'm gonna scope out some used game stores around town for some, if I can get a couple cheap ones i'm just gonna use those and return the wii motion plus remotes I got.

Also, regarding friends lists and the "miiverse" Nintendo sure have hard sticks pretty far up their asses. There is a huge list of demands and contidions on what you can and cannot post and do online that if you fuck up, the block you. i was blocked for 2 reasons 1) I wrote a link to my youtube channel in my bio, and 2) apparently my "mii" was inappropriate to show to others... and I'm not sure why. It's a damn cartoon version of myself!! Just a guy with long hair and sunglasses. WTF Nintendo???

dominik
11-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Just look at this: http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini?country=CA&lang=en/

I don't know why, but I think this looks SO SO good. Shame that it doesn't let you play Gamecube games. And it's Canada-exclusive for now.

henryeatscereal
11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
The fuckin' Power Glove!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0F83Bmbl4

poinoup
11-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Just look at this: http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini?country=CA&lang=en/

I don't know why, but I think this looks SO SO good. Shame that it doesn't let you play Gamecube games. And it's Canada-exclusive for now.

Yeah, it looks pretty sweet, and it's only $99.99, but no Gamecube compatibility nor wi-fi is a little crappy. You could at least let them download old games to a hard drive. They may be missing out on a little money there...

And the Wizard...a full length movie that was a commercial for Nintendo. They really did rule the world back then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrATmeFoJPE

dominik
11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Yeah, it looks pretty sweet, and it's only $99.99, but no Gamecube compatibility nor wi-fi is a little crappy. You could at least let them download old games to a hard drive. They may be missing out on a little money there...

Yeah, would have been pretty sweet to be able to play the Resident Evil 1 Remake on that Wii mini.

Mech
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the insight! New Super Mario Bros U looks kind of fun. I really only play with multiplayer. Are the multiplayer features any different?

Findus
11-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Trine 2 looks great. I played the first one on the PS3, so I'm looking forward to playing this one.
The trailer is best watched in 720 or 1080.

http://youtu.be/VRu_vujX9-k

dominik
11-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone played with the Wii U already and wants to share their thought?

johnbron
11-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Anyone played with the Wii U already and wants to share their thought?
I love it. The GamePad is higher resolution and lighter than I expected. My experience with that part of it has been perfect, it's designed very well and I wouldn't change a thing about it. The stereo speakers in it work better than I would have guessed too. I've mostly played the new Mario game and it's a blast. The fact that I can play that game on either the GamePad or the TV is nice for me since others may want to use the TV for other things. That can't be done in all games of course, but I'm playing Mario more on the pad than the TV.

Overall, it's a great system, I do worry about Nintendo's future though. Third party developers didn't give much of a shit about the Wii and I don't think many will care about the additional features of the Wii U. Sad for Nintendo and Nintendo fans. I hope I'm wrong.

Nintendoland is a blast with a room full of people. I can confirm this.

ManBurning
11-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Everything the above poster said is true. Wii U is awesome! I love it and the 2 games he mentioned steal the show and are worth picking up ig you get a wii. Hope they release some new good games soon though, not sure how long these ones will last. I've been trying to take my time with Mario, but i'm already 50% through.

Nintendoland is much better witha group of people than playing alone. The multiplayer games are better than the single player ones, with Yoshi's fruit cart being an exception. That's a fun single player game.

RJK
11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Just to add my two cents I loved being able to play Mario U on the gamepad while everyone was watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Nintendo Land is a blast. I love Pikmin Adventure and Donkey Kong Crash Course.

johnbron
12-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Trine 2 looks great. I played the first one on the PS3, so I'm looking forward to playing this one.
The trailer is best watched in 720 or 1080.

http://youtu.be/VRu_vujX9-k
I downloaded this and it's fun and beautiful on the Wii U. My nine year old daughter played for nearly two hours and seemed to enjoy it as much as I did.

Blackbookpress1984
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Orrigional nintendo is where its at Mario/duckhunt combo cart. Too bad duckhunt doesnt work with these newfangeld tvs.

ManBurning
12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
This is epic!

Mega Man VS Street Fighter, an all new 8-bit style mega man game featuring 8 new bosses of... you guessed it, the Street Fighter Characters!
Releasing as a free download for their 25th anniversary on Dec 17th!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-OMrOxyso

renholder
11-27-2013, 07:23 PM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is easily my favorite Zelda game since Majora's Mask, and I have completed every entry in the series (pretending CD-I doesn't exist). This takes everything that was wonderful about the top-down entries on NES, SNES and the Gameboys and refines it, puts a pretty coat on it, and adds the (albeit slightly) improved storytelling of the 3D entries. The dungeon designs are clever. They're a bit short, but each of the 7 real dungeons feels unique. The item rental/purchase system, which I was on the fence about, is actually pretty awesome. It really allows you to play the game at your own pace. For the first time in a long time, I had a blast exploring throughout the ENTIRE game, rather than feeling like I was being rushed through the story, and missing out on side-quests and heart pieces. I collected all of the heart pieces gradually, and by the time I was at the last dungeon, I was only missing 4 pieces of heart. Usually, Navi, Tatl, Fi, King of Lions, etc, are nagging me to complete the story and I get to the end missing half of the collectibles in the game and then it seems like a chore. Not so, here.

Space Suicide
04-29-2014, 04:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM&feature=youtu.be

I wish Nintendo would return to their former glory.

Tony Gordon
05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Wow that's a bit lame...

Nintendo's last good console was the N64. It was up to date, ahead of it's time and the last great 'old-time' console before discs took off (which the original PS began). It also had amazing games and great versatility.

I fully loved and enjoyed my Gamecube back in the day but it could not stack up the the PS2 and Xbox in their heyday. The Gamecube was and still is horribly underrated as a console though.

Wii was a step down and the Wii U is only expanding on that front.

Totally disagree here. The Wii outsold all of Nintendo's older consoles and was their biggest success. Only the hardcore gamers complained about the Wii while games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports were huge hits. On the gaming messageboards they always bitch and moan about the Wii's success. So if anything, I'd say the Wii was their last brilliant console and everyone hates it for god knows what.

I hated the N64, that's ultimately where they screwed up with me. The controller was uncomfortable, and stuff like Mario and Donkey Kong certainty didn't mold well at all in the 3D form. The only staple series of Nintendo that made it well in 3D was Zelda. The fetch quest, collect-a-thon games have zero replay value. There was a few games I liked on the N64, but the library for the SNES and Wii was much better.

Tony Gordon
05-06-2014, 02:15 PM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is easily my favorite Zelda game since Majora's Mask, and I have completed every entry in the series (pretending CD-I doesn't exist). This takes everything that was wonderful about the top-down entries on NES, SNES and the Gameboys and refines it, puts a pretty coat on it, and adds the (albeit slightly) improved storytelling of the 3D entries. The dungeon designs are clever. They're a bit short, but each of the 7 real dungeons feels unique. The item rental/purchase system, which I was on the fence about, is actually pretty awesome. It really allows you to play the game at your own pace. For the first time in a long time, I had a blast exploring throughout the ENTIRE game, rather than feeling like I was being rushed through the story, and missing out on side-quests and heart pieces. I collected all of the heart pieces gradually, and by the time I was at the last dungeon, I was only missing 4 pieces of heart. Usually, Navi, Tatl, Fi, King of Lions, etc, are nagging me to complete the story and I get to the end missing half of the collectibles in the game and then it seems like a chore. Not so, here.

I have mixed feelings with the recent Zelda game. On one hand, some of it is fun, but on the other hand it felt boring since it's basically the same old puzzlefests.

I've never been able to get into the whole puzzle obsession with Zelda. Some people argue that Zelda was always about puzzles but I disagree - the older games before Ocarina of Time were mazes. Sure they threw some shit out there in Link to the Past, but the games were still adventure and maze based. I had a very hard time getting through the original Zelda with no guides or anything cause the game was such a maze.
I totally lost interest with Zelda as the years went by. Ocarina of Time was great but Majora's Mask disappointed me greatly, then the whole cartoony Wind Waker totally missed me, but I liked how Link Between Worlds looked.

But on the bright side, the wall gimmick and being able to do the dungeons in any order you want is a huge step up. I hate the dark palace one though with all those annoying puzzles with the lamps. That one stumped me a bit.

Space Suicide
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Totally disagree here. The Wii outsold all of Nintendo's older consoles and was their biggest success. Only the hardcore gamers complained about the Wii while games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports were huge hits. On the gaming messageboards they always bitch and moan about the Wii's success. So if anything, I'd say the Wii was their last brilliant console and everyone hates it for god knows what.

I hated the N64, that's ultimately where they screwed up with me. The controller was uncomfortable, and stuff like Mario and Donkey Kong certainty didn't mold well at all in the 3D form. The only staple series of Nintendo that made it well in 3D was Zelda. The fetch quest, collect-a-thon games have zero replay value. There was a few games I liked on the N64, but the library for the SNES and Wii was much better.

SNES is the best console they've ever released. N64 was the best cartridge driven system and the Gamecube as I stated, was the most underrated console ever released that was great.

As for the Wii, I don't give a rat's ass about motion controls. It's gimmicky "Get active and fit by playin' vidya gamez" schmaltz. I really don't wanna play Donkey Kong Country Returns with a Wii Remote to aim DK around the level. Too much effort for too little action to be done. Besides the core franchise titles of Mario, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Donkey Kong the system gets absolutely zero support from third party developers. I love said titles, but not enough to justify buying a Wii. The Wii U is comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of power and titles. It's a bit dated for being 8th generation. Nintendo just doesn't do anything for me now. I am not opposed to more family friendly and kids titles but if they made a system that stacks up and has the support and a normal controller (that you don't have to buy after the fact), I'll happily buy Nintendo products.

Tony Gordon
05-06-2014, 08:41 PM
SNES is the best console they've ever released. N64 was the best cartridge driven system and the Gamecube as I stated, was the most underrated console ever released that was great.

As for the Wii, I don't give a rat's ass about motion controls. It's gimmicky "Get active and fit by playin' vidya gamez" schmaltz. I really don't wanna play Donkey Kong Country Returns with a Wii Remote to aim DK around the level. Too much effort for too little action to be done. Besides the core franchise titles of Mario, Metroid Prime, Zelda and Donkey Kong the system gets absolutely zero support from third party developers. I love said titles, but not enough to justify buying a Wii. The Wii U is comparable to the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of power and titles. It's a bit dated for being 8th generation. Nintendo just doesn't do anything for me now. I am not opposed to more family friendly and kids titles but if they made a system that stacks up and has the support and a normal controller (that you don't have to buy after the fact), I'll happily buy Nintendo products.

I loved the motion control on Wii Sports, but I never used it on the platformers much. If you want to play DKC Returns without motion controls, I highly recommend the 3DS version of it but then again the 3DS is like giving you the middle finger if you have eye problems. The 3D stresses my eyes out and gives me headaches. I play games to have fun though and I had loads of fun with the Wii.

The N64 failed me cause all it was about at the time was graphics and the gameplay element got shoved back. The selling point of it was about seeing Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong all in this glorious 3D that was supposed to make the games so much better. It failed for me. The Castlevania game was a huge let down cause it's hard to imagine Castlevania not in 2D IMO, I have this opinion because I grew up with Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania III on the NES. That's also my main issue with Super Mario 64. I never liked that game, it did not feel right to me since Mario was always in 2D and all of a sudden you're collecting stars in every map. The only game that seemed to mold fantastic in 3D was Zelda, even though I could argue that Ocarina of Time is overrated.

I wasn't big on the Gamecube. The Zelda game on it was weak, Mario Sunshine was extremely weak, Luigi's Manson, meh. Nintendo's obsession with making 3D games hit the boiling point there for me. The only two series that haven't been ultimately screwed up seems to be Fire Emblem and the Pokemon games (yes I play those! Not embarrassed to admit it!)

I believe that the console is just something that we buy in order to get the games. We buy Nintendo products to get to Mario and Zelda. The SNES did a wonderful job selling due to strong games, and yeah I agree with it being the best (mostly cause I grew up with it of course!). Those Pokemon games have been selling the handheld Nintendo products for a very long time, people are buying the 3DS now in order to get to X/Y.

I'm not sold on the Wii U by any means. I see it more as a cheapened version of the Wii cause there is nothing good on it so far and that Gamepad controller scares the shit out of me. Everything on it is either sequels to older games, or it's a remake (out of all the Zelda games to remaster and update, they choose the one that everyone hates the most). The Super Mario World edition on the EShop is the most popular game on it so far, and that explains everything. The Xbox 360 is outselling the Wii U at this point, and that is incredibly sad. I don't get how it's superior to the Wii at all. The Wii was a mega success, where Wii U is barely selling at all and has been a huge disappointment so far when comparing sales.

Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fitness to boost it's sales, and that's why people bought it when it first came out. Wii U has Metroid: Other M, Wind Waker, and Super Mario 3D World. People aren't buying it despite it having so many third party games. People buy Nintendo to play Nintendo, and right now they have yet to make anything mind blowing awesome that makes you want to spend money to buy it.

If Nintendo had another Wii Fitness type game and used that to sell the Wii U, I'm sure it would help the sells dramatically. Of course, choosing titles such as the one Zelda game everyone hates the most don't help at all. Sure a lot of people claim to love Wind Waker today but the sales prove otherwise. The Ocarina of Time 3D version helped sell the 3DS greatly since it is so loved.

I want to see Nintendo go back to it's roots and get rid of all the obsession with 3D: Stop making Mario games in 3D where you have to find the stupid star, turn Metroid back into a maze based game you can get lost in instead of focusing on a stupid storyline (Or better yet hand the series over to Retro or any other studio since Sakamato has no clue wtf he's doing), and finally, give Zelda to a better studio that wants to go back to roots gameplay of a maze based overworld and RPG elements rather than the usual Aonuma style puzzle fests that got old and boring in Majora's Mask.

When they released the "New Super Mario Brothers" on the DS it shot the sales through the roof and everyone wanted a DS after that. Yet Nintendo is so obsessed with making the 3D Mario games, now they barely put any time and energy into the 2D games, they feel weak and recycled. NSMB and Yoshi's Island on the 3DS suffered greatly from this. They know it sells, but they don't want to make that, they rather make the 3D based Mario that the market has rejected for a while now.

Retro did an amazing job with Donkey Kong Country Returns. It actually felt like a DK game, and had all the right elements of what made the DKC series so great, especially the music. I'm sure they would do an awesome job with 2D Mario, classic style Zelda, and Metroid if Nintendo allowed them to.

The Reason Being
05-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I've been really loving the Wii U as of late. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of the most visually stunning and just plain fun to play games I've ever played. They got David Wise back for the music for the first time since DKC2, and man, if you haven't played this game, it's dripping with atmosphere and the art design is pure bliss. And NO MOTION controls! I loved DKC returns but having to waggle to roll got tiresome pretty quick. They've fixed everything there was to complain out before.

Windwaker HD, while being a remake was so fucking breathtaking in its execution, they changed just the right amount of things to make the game feel brand new. Using the game pad as a map instead of pausing seems like such a small thing but as you play through it starts to feel so natural, it makes perfect sense. The game pad is perfect for Zelda. Really hoping for a darker take on Zelda though for Zelda U, but if they keep everything they got right in Windwaker HD they're onto something great. I do get frustrated with their recent 'cartoony' approach to almost everything they do, let's have a Zelda that's dark and gritty please, just once, broaden the appeal a bit. I've been so impressed by every Wii U game I've played but trying to defend it to your average 360/PS3 player is pretty gruelling.

Just started playing Child of Light which is just fucking fantastic in terms of the art. Check that one out, it's on playstation and Xbox too. But yeah, safe to say the four games I've played on Wii U have really taken my breathe away and I'm getting giddy and excited about games again, and coming from someone who didn't give a shit about the Wii and favoured the 360 throughout that generation, I'm happy. I just hope Nintendo sort out their marketing which is fucking appalling. Fingers crossed.

RJK
05-11-2014, 11:27 AM
I've been really loving the Wii U as of late. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of the most visually stunning and just plain fun to play games I've ever played. They got David Wise back for the music for the first time since DKC2, and man, if you haven't played this game, it's dripping with atmosphere and the art design is pure bliss. And NO MOTION controls! I loved DKC returns but having to waggle to roll got tiresome pretty quick. They've fixed everything there was to complain out before.

Have you played the NES Remix games? They're a blast! Super Mario 3d World is fantastic too! I plan on getting Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in the future but I feel like Mario Kart 8 is going to devour my time in a couple weeks.

The Reason Being
05-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Have you played the NES Remix games? They're a blast! Super Mario 3d World is fantastic too! I plan on getting Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in the future but I feel like Mario Kart 8 is going to devour my time in a couple weeks.

Yeah! I've finished most of the Remix challenges, man are some of them tough! I haven't gotten a chance to play NES remix 2, but it looks like they're mixing it up a bit more with that one which is cool. Reminds me a bit of Warioware. I'd much prefer a SNES remix though. Mario Kart 8 is gonna be tits. Incase you missed it, if you're a Club Nintendo member when you buy Mario Kart 8 you get a free dl code for another Wii U game including Windwaker and Pikmin 3, no DKC unfortunately. Hopefully it'll be a system seller, all I want is to see Nintendo learn from theie mistakes and once again be a strong contender in the console market, which I KNOW they can!

RJK
05-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Yeah! I've finished most of the Remix challenges, man are some of them tough! I haven't gotten a chance to play NES remix 2, but it looks like they're mixing it up a bit more with that one which is cool. Reminds me a bit of Warioware. I'd much prefer a SNES remix though. Mario Kart 8 is gonna be tits. Incase you missed it, if you're a Club Nintendo member when you buy Mario Kart 8 you get a free dl code for another Wii U game including Windwaker and Pikmin 3, no DKC unfortunately. Hopefully it'll be a system seller, all I want is to see Nintendo learn from theie mistakes and once again be a strong contender in the console market, which I KNOW they can!

I'm a Club Nintendo whore! My wife wants Pikmin 3 so that's the one we're getting.

I think Nintendo said SNES remix depends on how well the NES ones do. I would love to play SNES remix!

ManBurning
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
I too am praying for a SNES Remix. The NES remixes are neat and i'd really like to see what they could do with the SNES ones. Those would be awesome. NES remix 2 is worlds better than NES remix 1. They really got the games right for part 2.

I'm really stoked for Mario Kart 8 as well, day 1 purchase for sure!

I really hope Nintendo get their shit together and find something that finally makes them some money. I'd hate to see them flop. I think the Wii-U is an amazing console, very underrated, and the games are the best they've been since the N64 days. The games really are really, really well done. Nintendo looks absolutely beautiful in HD.

I'm curious on how they are bombing as bad as they are. I guess it goes back to a poor release library. Can't believe the system has been out for a year and a half and I can probably count every game released on my own two hands. It's understandable for a game to have to new games during it's initial launch and up to it's first year, but heading towards the 2 year mark with still barely anything, makes you wonder what's going on.

The gamepad is awesome, when utilized. There are hardly any games that actually use it. Nintendoland and Game and Wario are two good examples on how gaming with the gamepad is fun.

AgentofChaos
05-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah poor Nintendo seems to have lost its way a bit. I didnt even realize the Wiiu came out for a while, and when I did find out, I wasn't sure it was an entirely new system. I honestly thought it was a app or upgrade for the Wii or that it was something to do with the 3ds? It was a stupid time for a release with a stupid name, a brutal marketing campaign and as previously mentioned, no decent launch titles (as seems to be the case with all systems - why I havent snagged the PS4 yet). It also to my knowledge isn't backward compatible, which is stupid to begin with, but even more so if you are going to use the same name of the system prior, at least for Nintendo which as always had unique names, unlike the Playstation which is just numerical.

The game are actually good, and it's a shame because they were pretty good for the Wii too. It was also the worst time possible for them to try the Year of Luigi, which in my mind could have worked if they timed it right and marketed it properly.

I think they could strongly benefit from a new system refresh in the next couple years, with a new name, and a return to form with what makes Nintendo great.

Call it the Nintendo Dolphin or something unique, and give it a very basic controller style. Create a kickass marketing campaign, and give it a bunch of awesome launch titles like 2 Mario one player Games (one main game for everyone, plus a more challenging game like an RPG), a Zelda game, a Donkey Kong game, A Smash Bros, a Mario Kart, a Mario Party, a Metroid, a Kirby, and some next level Pokemon game to start.

Mario Kart 8 might be stellar, but for the system to have been out a couple years and have no Mario kart game is just ridiculous. I've been coasting on just the Wii and it's been fine as an offset to my Ps3, so I'm not gonna go drop 300 bones for a WiiU now just to play this game even though I really want to. If I felt like there was a new system with a new push behind it and it had a ton of stuff to offer, I'd highly consider it. Even though I want to play Tropical Freeze and Super Luigi Bros and a couple more too, it just doesn't make sense for me to do it now years later, especially at that price point.

Iran_Ed
05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
titles like 2 Mario one player Games (one main game for everyone, plus a more challenging game like an RPG), a Zelda game, a Donkey Kong game, A Smash Bros, a Mario Kart, a Mario Party, a Metroid, a Kirby, and some next level Pokemon game to start.

I honestly think that's Nintendo's problem. If you take out Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario Party which are franchise parades. You got five core franchises. You could add Star Fox which hasn't seen the light of day since the Gamecube, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, F-Zero which also hasn't seen daylight in almost a decade and maybe Fire Emblem. Sure almost every Nintendo first party game is well received, but maybe it's time they looked into investing into new IP's. They've got other problems besides that, but that could help.

a more challenging game

I would love this. A Mario game with Dark Souls' difficulty.

I would bleed my bank account dry if they made SNES and N64 games available for the 3DS.

RJK
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
It also to my knowledge isn't backward compatible, which is stupid to begin with, but even more so if you are going to use the same name of the system prior, at least for Nintendo which as always had unique names,

The Wii U is backwards compatible. It has a Wii mode. All the Wii shop games and Wii games can be played through it. All the Wii controllers, Wii balance board and sensor bars work with the Wii U too.

AgentofChaos
05-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Well that's good to know at least I could've sworn I heard it wasn't but clearly I didn't look into it well enough.

thatguymark
05-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Well, I swore I wouldn't get a Wii U, but the Mario Kart addict in me couldn't resist. My pre-order of the Mario Kart 8 Bundle has been made. It includes a second controller and download code for another top tier game, so it looks to be a decent value. The game library is pretty limited, but between Mario Kart, Mario 3D world, New Super Mario Bros. U, and whatever new Zelda and Metroid games pop up in the future, I figure it's worth the investment. Besides, my Wii is on its last legs, so if nothing else, I can use it to revisit those games.

RJK
05-31-2014, 03:30 PM
I am LOVING Mario Kart 8! The online is pretty darn good too. A group of us played for 6 hours last night with no drops. Such a blast!

Wretchedest
05-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Smash Bros is looking real, real fucking good.

Always sucked at Mario Kart. But the wife wants it... Soooooo

Millionaire
06-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Mario Kart 8 is just a fucking blast with four players. This may be the best one yet, though thats based on only a couple days experience.

xmd 5a
06-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Since when did Green Shells become useful for anything except being a 'shield'? I've played pretty much every game in the series (apart from the one on 3DS) and I don't recall having my shit ruined by green shells anywhere near as often as I have in 8.

Still a ridiculous amount of fun though!

ManBurning
06-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Well, this thread has been quite quiet considering all the awesome announcements at E3 this year. So much awesome to report, i'll just say i'm most excited for the new Star Fox game. Been waiting for a new one for years. And looks like it's going back to the roots of flying planes, none of that running around on foot crap.

Also, this is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hkSUGgPC8

elevenism
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah poor Nintendo seems to have lost its way a bit. I didnt even realize the Wiiu came out for a while, and when I did find out, I wasn't sure it was an entirely new system. I honestly thought it was a app or upgrade for the Wii or that it was something to do with the 3ds?
Dude, i had the exact same experience. I'm a smart guy, and i thought the wii u was some kind of peripheral or something for a LONG fucking time.

I was going to make a nintendo thread if there wasn't one. I am a total nintendo fanboy...i remember playing SMB for the first time better than i remember my first lay.
I have bought every nintendo system including the virtual boy (up to the 3ds and wiiu.)
I was raised on nintendo. it's in my fucking blood and i LOVE it. I have four nintendo t shirts.
I've been looking at wiiu games on youtube, and hell if they aren't fucking BEAUTIFUL. I want it REALLY bad but i don't have the money. In my adult life i've always stayed one generation behind...i got my Gamecube for $25. And every payday i would go buy a couple used games at an average price of about six bucks. I LOVED it.
I'm also an old school gaming nut, and my wii is soft modded. I play super nintendo games more than wii games, and, oddly enough, i play a SHITLOAD of GBA games. They look GREAT on the big screen.

That being said, i am afraid nintendo may be in trouble. The wii u just isn't selling, and from what i've read, lowering the price would just about bankrupt the company. Also, nintendo has made most of its profits with handhelds if i'm not mistaken, and dedicated handhelds are going to be extinct REALLy soon, due to tablets and even phones.

I hope they don't fall off...it would honestly break my heart.

What i hope nintendo does is kind of like what you are saying...they need to bring the motherfucking heat.
They have lagged graphically and whatnot for awhile. I swear to god they got lucky with the wii because when i saw that controller, i just KNEW nintendo was fucked.

I want a new nintendo that is technically as good as XBOX and PS.
Call it the Nintendo (not entertainment system.)
Just Nintendo.
Have it be as good as, or damn close to as good as, anything on the market, but make it a shitload cheaper...i know they can do it, i just fucking know it.
And like you said, a simple control setup. And yes, bad ass launch titles. I also think that nintendo could benefit from getting back into 2D or 2.5 D games.
Drop a traditional mario game with 200 levels and unbelievable graphics, a metroid game in the same vein..2.5d like other M, with a world so massive it will take months to explore. Bring it with the best zelda game of all time. And make a massive Symphony of the Night sequel, and maybe even resurrect megaman, contra, punchout, shit, even RC Pro Am.

My girl and i debated the future of Nintendo last night and she is afraid that this wiiu thing may be their swan song.
I am hoping and praying that it isn't.

There are many of us of a certain age for whom nintendo was the holy fucking grail...those of us who were there in the beginning. I was born in 1980. Mario, Zelda, Metroid...they are like friends that i've had all my fucking life. ANY mario game is like a nice old pair of jeans, familiar and comforting.

I hope to god they can pull out of this.

AgentofChaos
07-04-2014, 12:08 PM
You know what I would love? A Mario shooter. You could still kid it up, call it Mario Paint Ball or something, but model it on the classic Goldeneye 64 engine. Doesn't necessarily have to be a first person shooter, but think of all the cool scenarios, levels, characters, and weapons you could create for that world. It would be a thing of fuckin beauty.

The Reason Being
10-13-2014, 08:00 AM
So Bayonetta 2's review embargo lifted today and it's been fucking killing it! Edge gave it their 17th ever perfect 10/10 and Gamespot (yup...gamespot!) also scored it their 8th ever perfect 10 score.

I'm not usually one to care for reviews too much or even this type of game, but this is important for Nintendo and especially with Smash Bros U coming just around the corner it's gonna be a hell of a christmas for them. In terms of the amount of quality games available on the system, it's extremely easy to see Nintendo are leading the way at the moment for this gen. Some of my favorite games in the last year have been Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, DKC:Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Child of Light & Hyrule Warriors. So many good games and Wii U prices/deals are better than ever, fingers crossed for a strong holiday in sales.

Dr Channard
07-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Nintendo sure is keeping a tight lid on things these days. Just what the hell is the NX?

Is it a console?

Is it a handheld?

Is it a stream gaming service?

Is it a VR device?

Is it a waffle iron?

Is it all of the above?

Wasn’t some of the initial problem with the Wii U that they just didn’t market the thing well? Few people understood what the Wii U was, and what it could do. C’mon Nintendo, communicate better this time!

elevenism
07-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Nintendo sure is keeping a tight lid on things these days. Just what the hell is the NX?

my guess is that it's a handheld that you can plug into the tv.

i'm fairly certain that it's gonna be SOME kind of console...not just a streaming service.

here is some info i found http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-nx-analysis/

NotoriousTIMP
08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Hey, does anyone collect the Amiibo figures? I bought my Zelda WiiU about a month and a half ago and made the mistake of buying my first Bowser Amiibo for SSB. Now my collection looks like this......

http://i.imgur.com/ysHkdhb.jpg

and for anyone having hand cramping issues with the old WiiMotes, I highly recommend the BOSS controller. It reminds me of the old SNES controller and works flawlessly. You can find these on eBay for $6.99 which is a steal!

http://i.imgur.com/SK7VvWl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BEy4LeN.jpg

and finally (sorry, I lost posting pictures as of late) I cannot recommend this game enough! It's pretty simple, but at the same time a blast. Amiibo figures will also unlock special weapons and what not. If you had any doubts about this game, rest assured that its fun as hell.

http://i.imgur.com/v49RRZK.jpg

RJK
09-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Hey, does anyone collect the Amiibo figures? I bought my Zelda WiiU about a month and a half ago and made the mistake of buying my first Bowser Amiibo for SSB. Now my collection looks like this......

http://i.imgur.com/ysHkdhb.jpg

I collect Amiibo. I'm probably only missing about 10.

My wife loves Hyrule Warriors.

Is anyone playing Super Mario Maker? I've made a few levels that are pretty tough.
Ghost House FA78-0000-003D-6DC2
Castle Stage 5D5B-0000-0048-A5B2

Twiggy
10-29-2015, 07:48 AM
I'm currently playing SuperMario Brothers Wii U with my gf and it's a blast.
Looking to get a few old Zelda's and play them as well.

Surprised by the lack of Metroid on the Wii U but hopefully things turn around on the NX or whatever that is. I think that Nintendo tryed to do a Wii U and jump start on the competition when maybe they could have put a bit more power into the console. But it depends on what you want from the console basically. I'm finding its lacking a lot of the support and titles the Wii had. And it's not getting much support from third parties.

ManBurning
11-02-2015, 04:55 AM
Yeah, those Amiibo's are nothing but trouble. I told myself I wasn't going to buy into that craze, then I decided to take the plunge last winter and buy 1 for my Smash Bros. game just to see how it worked... Next thing you know 1 turned into like 10... There are a few that have been high on my list to get, but they are the ones that everyone wants and are going for exorbitantly high prices now.

Mario Maker is also a very fun and addicting game. I find I like the level creating aspect more than playing the levels. But It's still fun to play other levels from time to time.
With the upcoming update that is going to include checkpoints, I am sure that is going to make playing some of those levels a lot easier. I've created my fair share of levels, some quite hard, but even ones I don't consider very difficult have very low completion rating... I'm too lazy to go turn my system on to collect the codes, but next time I do, I'll post the codes for the levels I created here.

elevenism
07-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Say, what's up y'all?

I have homebrew on my wii and backup copies of all my nes and snes games.
What i want to do is be able to back up wii games so i can play them off a usb stick.
The tutorials are contradictory and i'm not having much luck.
If anyone knows for sure how to do this, PLEASE pm me!

Shadaloo
08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Project AM2R, a fan-made remake of Metroid II 8 years in development, is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Nintendo are well within their rights to issue DMCAs, as they have, but holy god, it's not like they're doing anything worthwhile with the franchise.

eversonpoe
08-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Project AM2R, a fan-made remake of Metroid II 8 years in development, is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Nintendo are well within their rights to issue DMCAs, as they have, but holy god, it's not like they're doing anything worthwhile with the franchise.

i'm so sad there's not a mac version.

playing through Super Metroid on my SNES today for the first time in a while. really wish older consoles didn't look so terrible on HDTVs.

theruiner
08-09-2016, 01:57 PM

playing through Super Metroid on my SNES today for the first time in a while. really wish older consoles didn't look so terrible on HDTVs.My Genesis looks pretty great on mine. I guess Genesis is just superior to SNES. ;)

Shadaloo
08-09-2016, 02:10 PM

I am a PC man and not very knowledgable about such things, but maybe you could try WINE (https://www.winehq.org/)?

theburningreptile
10-04-2016, 06:43 PM
My girlfriend and I are getting a Wii U on Black Friday. So far we want to get super smash Bros., Mario Kart 8 and Twilight Princess HD. She wants to know if Pokemon Snap is available on the Nintendo store in the US? I want to know if Pokken tournament is good too. I haven't had a Nintendo system since 09' Also what are the best exclusives to get or games in general?

RJK
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM
My girlfriend and I are getting a Wii U on Black Friday. So far we want to get super smash Bros., Mario Kart 8 and Twilight Princess HD. She wants to know if Pokemon Snap is available on the Nintendo store in the US? I want to know if Pokken tournament is good too. I haven't had a Nintendo system since 09' Also what are the best exclusives to get or games in general?
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Are some of my favorites.

skip niklas
10-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Poketournament is fun but not very deep from what I remember of playing it with my daughter. We have a lot more fun with Pokemon Rumble U, and there are NFC figures to collect if you want to go that way.

eversonpoe
10-05-2016, 02:53 PM

the HD remake of wind waker is AMAZING

nufan
10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Nintendo Switch console/portable device launches March 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I'm waiting for Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Wii-U March 2017..

allegate
10-20-2016, 11:19 AM
I hope that thing isn't just hot air and it actually does what the commercial says it does. That would be awesome to be able to take Mario on the go.

thelastdisciple
10-20-2016, 12:25 PM
I usually only stick to one console per gen because I'm just not made of money, i haven't even converted to current gen yet... not sure if I'd get the Switch but if i did it'd be my first Nintendo console since the N64.

Dr Channard
10-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I usually only stick to one console per gen because I'm just not made of money, i haven't even converted to current gen yet... not sure if I'd get the Switch but if i did it'd be my first Nintendo console since the N64.

I hear ya, man. I’m still rockin’ the PS3 like a mofo, and haven’t had a Nintendo since the mid 90s. The Switch looks like it has potential. For me it would come down to game library and price. I always thought the PS Vita had potential, but over 4 years and I have yet to see games I’d want to play on it. Nintendo handhelds just seems to do better with cranking out solid games that cater to their fan base.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Eh... it looks cool, but I don't really have the desire to bring my console anywhere on the go. I want this strictly for certain games, and that is something Nintendo has always had... great IP's that still bring older and newer fans back in. The controllers look a bit too tiny in that video IMO.

Findus
10-21-2016, 02:37 AM
Eh... it looks cool, but I don't really have the desire to bring my console anywhere on the go. I want this strictly for certain games, and that is something Nintendo has always had... great IP's that still bring older and newer fans back in. The controllers look a bit too tiny in that video IMO.

The controllers seem tiny when you separate them from the screen. They form a larger controller for home use, and there's also a more conventional shaped controller as well, the Switch Pro Controller. I would imagine the Pro Controller could be used during travel mode.

Twiggy
10-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Looks awesome.
Interested to see what Nintendo announce is the Direct Video in a week or so and to understand more about what the device is capable of. And how powerful the Nvidia Tegra chip is.

I think Nintendo did well this time around to not confuse people with the first video if you compare it to what the Wii U did. Not show any silly Mii stuff and dropped the whole kiddy image (not that its bad), Just stick to a device that is solely about the games. And that's what it should be.

I'm holding my breath for a Metroid annoucement.

allegate
10-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Honest-to-God question here: How did you miss the different ways the controllers are used in the video? You said you watched it, and it starts out with a guy holding a pretty standard-size controller. It then shows a 'pro' controller when the guy goes into the living room to keep playing Skyrim.

Jinsai
10-21-2016, 01:57 PM
seems like a sort of rethinking of the concept Sony was trying to pitch with the PS Vita... which would have been fantastic if it had panned out the way they advertised it. They wanted you to think there were going to be all these games that were going to simultaneously launch for Vita and PS4/3, and that most of them would feature cross-buy, so if you bought the PS4 version digitally you'd get the Vita version for free, and then you could transfer saves back and forth via the cloud. They also tried to pretend that you'd be able to easily "remote play" your PS4 while away via wifi... cheers to whomever actually got that to work reliably. The other problem with their model was that practically nothing was available for cross-buy, which meant that if you wanted to have the game on-the-go you'd have to buy the Vita version separately... meaning that this really just ultimately resulted in poor Vita sales. I actually did finally buy both versions of a game (God Eater 2) so I could play it remotely. This meant that I bought the game for basically 100 dollars (60 for the PS4 version, 40 for the Vita), and really, I've been playing it almost entirely on Vita. It functions better as a portable game to help waste five minutes of time than it does as a AAA console game.

And I feel like an idiot. I still cannot understand why more companies aren't doing the cross-buy thing. I can't imagine there's too many other people out there who are willing to do the stupid thing I did there, so why not just have it be a purchase incentive for Vita owners who also have a PS4. One of the best things about PS+ is that every month I get free games for PS3, Vita, and PS4. If I had to pay separately for the PS+ plan for each platform, I wouldn't.

This design by Nintendo seems to accomplish what I wanted from the Vita as a to-go option, as it doesn't get bogged down in the whole separate purchase aspect: the standalone console copy is the same as the portable option. Cool. Is it backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U games? If so, I might pick one up.

I'm still more excited about the NES Classic Edition though

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Honest-to-God question here: How did you miss the different ways the controllers are used in the video? You said you watched it, and it starts out with a guy holding a pretty standard-size controller. It then shows a 'pro' controller when the guy goes into the living room to keep playing Skyrim.

Yeaa, I definitely watched the video and I'm fully aware of the other controllers. It just looks silly when they are hovered over a tiny screen with tiny controllers in that segment of the video.

Edit: Pretty cool to hear that the switch will support Unreal Engine 4 :p.

liquidcalm
10-22-2016, 04:56 AM
I'd defend the Vita to some extent here, I've got way more cross-buy games on there than I even noticed at first. The last year or so has been pretty slim, but I have put time into a good chunk of games that just popped up as cross-buy/save. The one company that seemed to ruin everything was Square when they started releasing FFX and saying 'yeah saves work, but buy it twice'.. thats a real bummer as I would have jumped at the game had it been for both platforms, same with Dragon Quest Builders and World of FF. But oh well.

Anyway.. its a new Nintendo console, it looks pretty cool, the mini controllers look a bit meh, but we'll see! If its like £200 at launch with the new Zelda.. thats really appealing, but beyond that price range and I'm struggling to see why I wouldn't just save more for a laptop/ipad/scorpio/whatevers.

Space Suicide
10-22-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm not interested or impressed in the least. I wish I was as I miss some Nintendo franchise titles.

elevenism
10-22-2016, 08:36 AM
The portability option is pretty cool.
But i kind of wish that Nintendo would have just come out with a console that's comparable to the new xbox and playstation.
Just, you know, a state of the art console that can have the same 3rd party games as the other systems, along with first party games (which are the reason i play nintendo.)

But my favorite thing about this is that the Wii U will most likely get cheaper-at very least the used ones will.
I always stay a generation behind, so i'm still playing Wii, nintendo-wise (and actually i spend more time playing emulators on homebrew. I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.)

wizfan
10-22-2016, 04:03 PM
I always stay a generation behind, so i'm still playing Wii, nintendo-wise (and actually i spend more time playing emulators on homebrew. I'm just a sucker for nostalgia.)

Same here, buddy... same here.

marodi
10-22-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm still more excited about the NES Classic Edition though

Only three weeks left to wait!

I'm very very very old school about video games. I still have my Sega Game Gear and my Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and my DS Lite. I've never owned big consoles.

I've just exhumed my Castlevania Adventure cartridge for the original Game Boy and I'm going to play it later tonight.

It's all about life's simple pleasures.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Only three weeks left to wait!

I'm very very very old school about video games. I still have my Sega Game Gear and my Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and my DS Lite. I've never owned big consoles.

I've just exhumed my Castlevania Adventure cartridge for the original Game Boy and I'm going to play it later tonight.

It's all about life's simple pleasures.

See, I've been the opposite. While I have owned the original Gameboy, Color, and Pocket (God I loved that thing) I've been more on the console front. I just purchased a Gamecube that was bundled with Metroid Prime for 25 bucks. Nintendo always does their own thing and I love them for that.

Piko
10-30-2016, 12:40 PM
I'm on the fence about the Switch. I hope it does well for them. I was all about nintendo as a kid. It was basically all there was until sega genesis blew up. Atari before all of that. They kinda lost me with the N64. Had a few good ones, but I hated the controller, and I hated what they did to some of their games (never been a huge fan of 3D castlevania games compared to the old school side-scrollers). Gamecube was awesome. Wii-U is pretty legit (bought one about a year ago), but it doesn't have much variety apart from their first party titles (which speak for themselves, fortunately). Hopefully, the Switch does well for them though. We need a nintendo in every console generation.

reznovka
11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Going to get the Switch when it comes out.
Went to XBox/Xbox360 after my N64 and was happy back then...but now I own a 3DS and WiiU and my NINtendo love is back again.
They still act like the nice neighbours :D

theburningreptile
11-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Is it true that they're discontinuing the Wii U? If so when will they discontinue the Wii U games to? My girlfriend and I planned on getting one between Black Friday and Christmas.

RJK
11-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Is it true that they're discontinuing the Wii U? If so when will they discontinue the Wii U games to? My girlfriend and I planned on getting one between Black Friday and Christmas.
Nintendo has stopped manufacturing the Wii U. I'm pretty sure they'll be plenty for the holidays but after that it'll probably be harder to find. Games will stick around much longer. It just depends on what games. Some Nintendo games become very hard to find fast.

theimage13
11-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Apparently the NES Classic is a hot item that's selling out and getting crazy prices from scalpers. All I can say is....why?

It's not like you haven't had a free option to play ALL of those games for well over a decade. I see the nostalgia appeal, but are you really so damn impatient that if you can't get it at the store, you'll shell out twice as much as retail just to get your soon-to-be crippled thumbs on one?

I'll stick with my $8 USB NES controller and a computer connected to the TV for now.

Piko
11-14-2016, 02:07 PM
It's not like this isn't getting another run. It's sold out...for now. It'll be back. These people trying to sell it for a grand are ridiculous. Hopefully, no one buys it that way.

On a side note, i'm about 60 percent sure i'm getting the new pokemon on friday...

henryeatscereal
11-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I wanted a Mini-Nes, but not for that much...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic-Edition-ships-between-12-14-12-16-/322326102529?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D58191839e4b07d 280c01a01d%26rpp_icid%3D5821208de4b076b849a8f999

Fuck them! i hope Nintendo releases a new version with more games

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-15-2016, 11:21 AM
The thing is, Nintendo has been known to do this from time to time when there is a hot item, and they haven't been available for the customers in a decent rate, even after the second shipment. There is no reason why this should have happened. For what it is, I should be able to go buy one right now. People waiting in long lines, crashing sites, being sold out in minutes... just a bit ridiculous. It's almost as if Nintendo sold concert tickets. The second shipment will be minuscule, I'm calling it.

Maximilian
11-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Last night I saw a 3rd Party NES controller at Wal-mart (with a way longer cord), but of course there were none of the consoles.

Piko
11-15-2016, 01:30 PM
They have to be doing this on purpose. Build up hype. If you can't get one, you will probably want it more. They did it for the wii. The amiibo stuff as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Findus
11-15-2016, 04:01 PM
According to a Toys R Us employee when I stopped by on release day, they received 30 units of the NES Classic, and sold out in 10 minutes. Maybe Nintendo will change the cord length for future batches. I picked up Runbow, and Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams for Wii U, instead. Today I went back to check for a NES Classic.... still none, but picked up the SteamWorld Collection - SteamWorld Heist & SteamWorld Dig.

theburningreptile
11-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. We decided to hold off on the Wii U. We're getting the switch in March. We are going to buy a 2DS today. Any recommended games? Mario Kart 7 comes with it and we are getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Ocarania of Time with it.

eversonpoe
11-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. We decided to hold off on the Wii U. We're getting the switch in March. We are going to buy a 2DS today. Any recommended games? Mario Kart 7 comes with it and we are getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Ocarania of Time with it.

my wife is OBSESSED with A Link Between Worlds. she puts her headphones on when she plays and yells at the game and it's like the sweetest thing ever. i haven't played it yet but she is very engrossed in it.

the New Super Mario Bros. games are all really fun.

the only thing i'll say is don't bother with Smash Bros. for the DS. i gave it to my best friend and she can't really play it because it's impossible to see anything that's happening on such a small screen.

jmtd
12-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Fuck this deliberate limited stock before xmas bullshit. I've had two orders for the classic fall through now. This has killed my enthusiasm for it entirely.

kdrcraig
12-20-2016, 06:40 AM
My girlfriend was going to hit up Best Buy cause they are supposedly getting a few more classics in stock today. 45 minutes before the doors open and the line was already around the corner so she didn't bother. It's ridiculous how few of those things Nintendo has produced.

neorev
12-20-2016, 06:43 AM
Nintendo ruined my excitement for the mini and I honestly just don't care about it anymore. I've moved on. Oh well, fuck you Nintendo.

theimage13
12-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Part of the problem are the parents who raise their kids to be spoiled, entitled assholes.

"BUT MOMMMMMMMMMMM, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE TO HAVE TEH NINTENDOS!!!1" "Okay Timmy, I'm gonna go wait in line for hours instead of spending time with you. Or shell 2-4 times as much to buy one from some scalper."

Limited stock isn't a problem; consumerism and a lack of patience is. It's not like this is a rare item; it's just rare for the moment. Look at the original Wii. If you didn't have a pre-order, you didn't have one on opening day. Months and months later, they were still hard to come by. Now? Literally $40 at Gamestop for a used one. Low production numbers don't mean a damn thing if your mentality isn't "OMG I NEED THIS RIGHT NOWWWW". Production numbers aren't the problem. People are.

Different Nintendo topic: 11% stock drop after the release of Mario Run. Yikes.

Here's where they royally fucked up that release:
-Announce title in huge press event that spreads like wildfire
-In much smaller announcement weeks later, announce "oh by the way it'll be $10" that only Nintendo fanboys really take notice of
-Weeks later, release game "free" at the App Store, only to be told after three levels that it's $10 to unlock the rest of the game.

See, consumers either knew and forgot about the price, or were duped by suddenly seeing it at no cost in the App Store and understandably thought "oh, maybe they've released it for free or made it a holiday special or something". Nope, Nintendo and/or Apple simply pulled a bait and switch. But there was such an immensely easy fix that would have saved so much of the complaining:

Release a goddamn demo version. Two apps in the store: Mario Run DEMO, and Mario Run. Now there's no way in hell that people will be confused when they're abruptly asked for money after getting a taste for the game, and most of the complaints will now be based solely on the personal opinion of whether or not the game is worth the price.

kdrcraig
12-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Part of the problem are the parents who raise their kids to be spoiled, entitled assholes.

"BUT MOMMMMMMMMMMM, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE TO HAVE TEH NINTENDOS!!!1" "Okay Timmy, I'm gonna go wait in line for hours instead of spending time with you. Or shell 2-4 times as much to buy one from some scalper."

Limited stock isn't a problem; consumerism and a lack of patience is. It's not like this is a rare item; it's just rare for the moment. Look at the original Wii. If you didn't have a pre-order, you didn't have one on opening day. Months and months later, they were still hard to come by. Now? Literally $40 at Gamestop for a used one. Low production numbers don't mean a damn thing if your mentality isn't "OMG I NEED THIS RIGHT NOWWWW". Production numbers aren't the problem. People are.

No, production numbers are the problem. They knew a shit ton of people were going to want this thing, especially leading up to Xmas. They just flat out didn't make enough of them. It's been impossible to find them other than rip-off prices on ebay. We've been constantly looking since release day.

Sure a Wii is 40 bucks at GameStop now but that's been the better part of a decade, I don't know any gamer that would be cool with waiting 10 years to get a new console they really wanted that is then an entire console generation behind.

halo eighteen
12-20-2016, 08:35 AM
Every time I get disgruntled about not being able to purchase the NES Classic anywhere, I just have to tell myself that I have a working original NES with an everdrive cart loaded with practically the entire NES/Famicom library on it. So other than save states for a mere 30 games and a legit NES controller for my Wii U, I don't seem to be missing out on much..

Still want it though..

Piko
12-20-2016, 08:46 AM
If it's worth the 10, cool. Don't think it's out yet for android. I'm going to try it. I can afford 10. Not a big fan of phone games though... but if I like it, I'll consider buying it.

kdrcraig
12-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Mario Run is ok but I'm not going to buy it. I don't play games on my phone often and Jetpack Joyride still gets the job done for a quick fix while I'm waiting on something or bored at work for a few.

Piko
12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
For me, it's mostly poker (if anything). Did Pokémon Go for a little bit.

theimage13
12-20-2016, 12:37 PM
No, production numbers are the problem. They knew a shit ton of people were going to want this thing, especially leading up to Xmas. They just flat out didn't make enough of them. It's been impossible to find them other than rip-off prices on ebay. We've been constantly looking since release day.

Sure a Wii is 40 bucks at GameStop now but that's been the better part of a decade, I don't know any gamer that would be cool with waiting 10 years to get a new console they really wanted that is then an entire console generation behind.

I think you missed my point. I never said that the Wii dropped to 40 bucks after a few months on the market. It's also only reached that point recently; it's value was still reasonably high when it was a current-gen console.

The NES Classic isn't a machine for gamers though. It's a toy. It's a trinket you give your kids because you're feeling nostalgic. It's a cheap plastic disposable luxury item that will be just the same next Christmas, when there are tons of them floating around. If you're really so desperate for one now now now, that's your problem. I mean for fuck's sake, it doesn't even do anything that you haven't been able to do with your computer for the last 20 years. Buy a USB NES controller on Amazon for under ten bucks, load some roms on the laptop, and plug it into your TV. Same goddamn thing. As an added bonus, you can say you're sticking it to Evil Nintendo by getting all the same functionality without paying them a dime.

I honestly doubt Nintendo thought this would be a hot item. It's literally nothing new. Everyone in the world who wants to play NES games has been able to do it for decades. Why would they expect this to be the "hot" item this year?

allegate
12-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Mario Run is ok but I'm not going to buy it. I don't play games on my phone often and Jetpack Joyride still gets the job done for a quick fix while I'm waiting on something or bored at work for a few.

If they would just let you play offline after you buy it, that would be great. I understand the need for the online checks - I go between my ipod and ipad and it's nice to always have my progress saved - but it would be nice to not have the game interrupted every time the signal is poor.

Piko
12-20-2016, 01:22 PM
It's mostly a novelty thing. All.of the games are on virtual console if you're insistent on buying them. Or, like always mentioned, download an emulator and the roms.

But yeah, limited availability is a bug problem. Huge reason why I never got a wii. Eventually gave up.

kdrcraig
12-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I think you missed my point. I never said that the Wii dropped to 40 bucks after a few months on the market. It's also only reached that point recently; it's value was still reasonably high when it was a current-gen console.

Yeah I didn't mean after a couple months either, meant it took the better part of a decade for it to reach that price/availability. Both missed points. I want the classic, you don't. Cool. I think have an emulator on my computer somewhere but I barely ever turn that thing on anymore

halo eighteen
12-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Apparently Amazon "Prime Now" has the NES Classic in stock in many markets this morning... I don't get that in my area, though.

Piko
01-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Tonight's the night (two hours)! Find out once and for all if Zelda is a launch title. My decision to buy hinges on it.

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Tonight's the night (two hours)! Find out once and for all if Zelda is a launch title. My decision to buy hinges on it.

I burned out hard on Zelda after Skyward Sword. That game was a joke, and I never understood the praise. What a clunky mess.

Space Suicide
01-12-2017, 08:57 PM
I burned out hard on Zelda after Skyward Sword. That game was a joke, and I never understood the praise. What a clunky mess.

I'm for and love exclusives but it's all Nintendo relies on this day which is both admirable and sad. Some of their shit can go on auto pilot but because Zelda, Mario or Metroid Prime is slapped on it the sales still will fly their way. I loved Mario games and I miss Donkey Kong but I have no compelling need to buy a Nintendo console ever again. My last was Gamecube.

Piko
01-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I showed up late for the wii-u. Have yet to play Skyward Sword. I'll probably get it sooner than later though. Why not?

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 09:35 PM
I showed up late for the wii-u. Have yet to play Skyward Sword. I'll probably get it sooner than later though. Why not?

It almost made me swear off Zelda games forever from here on out... so that's a possible "why not" if you hate it half as much as I did. The controls (even with the enhanced remote) are crap unresponsive motion nonsense, it was ugly even when it was new, and it gets everything wrong about the series that it always previously got right. Less dialogue please too; Zelda was never about story or narrative.

Couple all that with the unanimous praise it received, and when you ask "really?" online, you get a response from a twelve-year old saying "LOL itz just you suck and are old!" The game isn't difficult, the game just sucks, and even trying to talk about it was met with such rabid fanboyism it was almost scary. Hey, kids, I was alive when the first Zelda game came out, and I beat it. Sorry if that makes me "old," but I liked these games back before they sucked.

ItsJustDave
01-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Switch presentation starting in 15 minutes

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

Piko
01-12-2017, 09:50 PM
It almost made me swear off Zelda games forever from here on out... so that's a possible "why not" if you hate it half as much as I did. The controls (even with the enhanced remote) are crap unresponsive motion nonsense, it was ugly even when it was new, and it gets everything wrong about the series that it always previously got right. Less dialogue please too; Zelda was never about story or narrative.

Couple all that with the unanimous praise it received, and when you ask "really?" online, you get a response from a twelve-year old saying "LOL itz just you suck and are old!" The game isn't difficult, the game just sucks, and even trying to talk about it was met with such rabid fanboyism it was almost scary. Hey, kids, I was alive when the first Zelda game came out, and I beat it. Sorry if that makes me "old," but I liked these games back before they sucked.
I've mostly heard mixed things about it. I'm still going play it. I want to go back and finish Wind Waker before I do that though (haven't beaten it). If it sucks, I'm only down 20 bucks and I can say I at least tried it.

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I've mostly heard mixed things about it. I'm still going play it. I want to go back and finish Wind Waker before I do that though (haven't beaten it). If it sucks, I'm only down 20 bucks and I can say I at least tried it.

Wind Waker is a much better game.

Maybe people have cooled their heels after the hype wore off, and maybe realized Skyward Sword was a fucking mess and a half. I have problems with the new Final Fantasy game, but holy shit was Skyward Sword a greater departure and a far poorer entry in a heralded series...

But yeah, you can get it bargain bin price now, and why not... and you're not staring down overwhelmingly ecstatic praise that makes you feel insane. People have calmed down about it, by Skyward Sword still holds a 93% average on Metacritic, which means it's still one of the best reviewed games of all time. And it fucking sucks.

This is the most sensible version of the criticism that hit everyone who thought the controls sucked (from the comments section of the lowest Metacritic scoring article... how dare he): My first instinct says that the people struggling the the controls have a few screws loose or just a few cards short of a full deck. Maybe they’re extremely young or old. Or maybe, forgivingly, they simply don’t WANT to enjoy/understand the game’s control scheme.

Even politely, this fan is implying the critic (or anyone who didn't like the controls) is too young (or old, let's cut to the chase) to appreciate how great it is. No, it just isn't great, and now that we've all grown tired of motion controls and gimmicks of the sort, we can all look back in horror at the defensiveness run rampant there behind its praise, and that was the most eloquent version of that sort of criticism I could find. Maybe it's easier to enjoy the game now, now that there's not a legion of blathering fanboys desperate to call you "grandpa" because you think the game sucks.

eversonpoe
01-12-2017, 09:58 PM
wind waker is a better game, it's tied with twilight princess as my favorite. but i still thoroughly enjoyed skyward sword. i've played pretty much every zelda game (except for most of the ones on hand-held consoles) and i have a triforce tattoo so...i'm pretty into the franchise. i don't understand why so many people dislike skyward sword quite as much as they do. i thought it was fun and entertaining, even if it wasn't the best game ever.

Piko
01-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Release date 3/3 and it's $299.

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 10:05 PM
wind waker is a better game, it's tied with twilight princess as my favorite. but i still thoroughly enjoyed skyward sword. i've played pretty much every zelda game (except for most of the ones on hand-held consoles) and i have a triforce tattoo so...i'm pretty into the franchise. i don't understand why so many people dislike skyward sword quite as much as they do. i thought it was fun and entertaining, even if it wasn't the best game ever.

The controls are unresponsive. For the first time ever, I started up a Zelda game, and spent over an hour talking to towns people about some bird-related festival. Then, FINALLY, the game started and the controls sucked. I kept playing, and realized that no matter how well calibrated things were, it failed to deliver the experience it tried to... and then inundated you with more plot, shitty mazes that sucked even more than Final Fantasy XV's dungeons, and laaaaaaaaame puzzles. It's been too long for me to be more specific about the legion of other things that bothered me about it, but it's one of the few games I've said "OH FUCK THIS" and thrown it back on the shelf never to look back.

And still, just because the word "Zelda" was on the cover, I put in about 20 hours of my life into it. Fuck that game.

Piko
01-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Anyone watching? What's with the glass and the ice cubes? I'm so lost... Gonna probably pass on 1 2 Switch and Arms (holy shit...). So far, I haven't seen anything I like.

Controller is so tiny.

Piko
01-12-2017, 11:27 PM
After that presentation I went from "probably" to unsure. I'd basically be paying 300 bucks to play zelda then shelve it.

RJK
01-13-2017, 12:07 AM
Nintendo always gets my money. I will admit that the presentation was a little bland but I got way more excited for the news afterwards.
Got my preorder in well actually 2 preorders. 1 of each color. My wife can decide tomorrow what color she wants and I will cancel the order of the one she doesn't want.

Piko
01-13-2017, 12:10 AM
I was very underwhelmed by the presentation. Basically, I'd buy the console and zelda then shelve the console for months. Mario looks interesting but that's almost a year away. Not much going on there, imo...

I'm disappointed.

ManBurning
01-13-2017, 12:35 AM
I am disappointed as well. It's been a roller-coaster ride with me and the switch. Back when it was first announced it would be a handheld/console hybrid I swore off buying it. I didn't like the idea at all. Then that reveal video came out in the fall, and I changed my opinion to being on board again. I liked what they did with the idea. But now after I watched the presentation I am back to "meh" status.

The presentation just left me very unimpressed. I wasn't getting excited for anything they were announcing. They're trying to mix all of their consoles together with this, the wii the wii u and the portable gaming experience. Which is all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, it's the games that are the selling point, and to be honest, not even that Mario game impressed me. I don't care about it or Zelda.

They're putting a few trailers up online that weren't in the presentation, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Super Bomberman R and Ultimate Super Street fighter 2: The end of the road (or whatever the hell it's called, lol), those are the kinda games that I am interested in. But enough to drop $400? (I'm in Canada... suggested retail price here is $399.99 (YIKES)).

This will be the first Nintendo console I don't see myself running out and buying at launch, or even within the first year for that matter. I find consoles these games take a good 2 years to really kick off their life cycle. I was unimpressed w/ the PS4 a launch and they are FINALLY releasing games I am interested in, what, 2 years after it was released? I think I'll go pick myself up a PS4 this year and wait for better games to come out for the switch before I pull the trigger on it.

Piko
01-13-2017, 12:38 AM
There's just not much going for it at launch. I don't care about Arms and that 1, 2 Switch. Maybe during the summer I'd get Xenoblade. That's still months of inactivity for what's supposed to be a new console. I only see three games worth buying. All have big gaps in between their releases.

Ps4 will still be my primary console. So I'm I have no reason to do fifa or skyrim. It's disappointing.

eversonpoe
01-13-2017, 09:00 AM
will the switch be capable of playing the games from the WiiU? or is there no backwards compatibility?

Space Suicide
01-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Minus predictable Mario games like always and Zelda what a joke. Anyone that's been interested in Skyrim would've played it by now somewhere in the 5 years it's been around. They have a list of third party stuff but I guarantee all that shit will be cut off and dead in the water come next year.

I miss Nintendo some days but this conference pretty much showed me again (like always) that their ship set sail over 10 years ago.

Piko
01-13-2017, 09:44 AM
will the switch be capable of playing the games from the WiiU? or is there no backwards compatibility?
Another thing they didn't mention... I'm not sure how it would, tbh. Maybe virtual console? In that case you gotta wonder if games can carry over.

RJK
01-13-2017, 09:50 AM
I don't think it'll be backwards compatible considering Wii U is disc based and Switch is cartridge.

There has been a talk of a virtual console upgrade program similar to Wii to Wii U.

allegate
01-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Well, considering MK8 is an 'upgrade' and Splatoon '2' looks like Splatoon 1 I'm going to say that not playing WiiU games is a more-than-likely scenario. Remember paying $1.99 to 'upgrade' your virtual console games from Wii to WiiU? Oh boy!

eversonpoe
01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Well, considering MK8 is an 'upgrade' and Splatoon '2' looks like Splatoon 1 I'm going to say that not playing WiiU games is a more-than-likely scenario. Remember paying $1.99 to 'upgrade' your virtual console games from Wii to WiiU? Oh boy!

actually, no, i don't remember getting that option. i have to go into the wii menu on the wiiu to get to my wii virtual console games (which is annoying)

Piko
01-13-2017, 10:29 AM
I still can't get over 70-80 bucks for accessories. That's ridiculous.

Aladdinsanity
01-13-2017, 12:16 PM
The accessories' prices are god-awful. It's really bizarre how Nintendo seems to have no idea that absolutely nobody wants anything to do with motion controls or games based on them -- a simple focus group would reveal this to them.

I'm pretty bummed since my son basically usurped the Wii-U from me and was hoping that the Nintendo Switch could hold me over, but there doesn't seem to be any backwards compatibility with Wii-U titles and waiting around for the Virtual Console to remedy this via drip feed over the course of years will only raise my blood pressure. What is it with consoles these days being pushed out the door with virtually no exclusive launch titles? FFS.

halo eighteen
01-13-2017, 02:43 PM
That new Square-Enix game, Project Octopath Traveler, looked really nice. Also Xenoblade 2 looks great. Dragon Quest X and XI better not be Japan-only, but I'm sure they will be. Major bummer to have to wait almost the entire year for Mario Odyssey too, but at least Zelda is right out of the gate.

The Treehouse webcast today made the system look a lot better than last night's presentation - some random games in particular like Snipperclips and Has-Been Heroes looked pretty unique and fun. 1-2 Switch looks like it could be entertaining for get-togethers, but is that really worth $50? That should be included with the system. There's really a ton of potential here, but it's probably going to take a while to be fully realized, and Nintendo needs to really bring it to stay alive.

Also, those neon blue/red colors are fucking hideous.

ziltoid
01-13-2017, 04:09 PM
This video pretty much sums up how I feel about nintendo.
That and the frustration on the unreleased Mother 3.
Fuck, how hard can it be to release an old game, it's not like it tied up with licensing issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgpGMfVicu0
And I also somewhat agree with Jim's thoughts on the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2vMw0Y4wq8

Piko
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
I think the game was just poorly presented. Stuff I've seen today is a lot better. The presentation was focused too much on being gimmicky.

I'm probably going to preorder.

ziltoid
01-13-2017, 05:04 PM
This article sums up everything that was revealed in the Switch event: http://kotaku.com/everything-we-know-about-nintendo-switch-updating-1791137531
Anyone else getting a Lego game kind of vibe from Super Mario Odyssey?
The battery life is unfortunately abysmal.
The accessories are expensive, the launch lineup is sad, the amount of storage is laughable and charging for online play that has not been completely defined is ridiculous.
At least the console is region free and I like the docking and pick up and go concept.
I'm disappointed in the Switch so far, it's wait and see for me at the moment.

Hopefully overtime the console will get better and I hope they mention backwards compatibility soon with the Wii, Wii U and the 3DS.
Nintendo Switch Is Not Backwards Compatible With Physical 3DS or Wii U Games (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-is-not-backwards-compatible-with-p/1100-6444706/)
Since BC is out of the question for physical games I hope at least all the digital games will be backwards compatible.

thelastdisciple
01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
The "free" NES and SNES game incentive for their online service is kind of hilarious.

Piko
01-13-2017, 05:53 PM
More like temporary. Free for the month then no mas. I caved the preordered though.

halo eighteen
01-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Supposedly the Switch Online will be free for the first several months after system launch, so there's that. Online competitive/co-op play for NES/SNES titles is fucking win, I don't care how archaic and old that makes me sound.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Not impressed whatsoever. I really felt as if I was watching a Wii reveal once the motion control segment came around. There is barely enough here to even think about purchasing this with the exception of Zelda, and mayyybe Xenoblade. Nintendo needs new IP's desperately, and I find it a bit odd as to why Skyrim is scheduled for the fall instead of it being ready at launch. I really hope we get a new F-Zero and Metroid as well. With a lukewarm reception, and rumors already arising about PS3 and Xbox360 ports for FIFA on switch, everything here just seems very underwhelming. Plus, the prices for the controllers are atrocious.

Piko
01-13-2017, 10:10 PM
When I was at gamestop, they tried to upsell me an accessory. I laughed in their face. I think the main issue is how they're pushing the system, which is wrong and very outdated. They were more focused on gimmicks. Like, what's the interface like? Why did they waste so much time talking about the controller and just announce the other games later as if it were nothing? Their marketing is extremely flawed.

I also think they rushed the system out too early. Whatever games that are in development for it are clearly no where near ready except for Zelda. I'm hoping once they get over that hurdle (probably by fall). A lot of people are already considering it a possible failure. And that they're repeating almost all of the same mistakes they made for the Wii U (which I really like).

It all comes down to their marketing. Maybe they need some outside help. Because there's a definite disconnect between innovation and what the people actually and don't want.

halo eighteen
01-26-2017, 02:34 PM
The thing is, Nintendo has been known to do this from time to time when there is a hot item, and they haven't been available for the customers in a decent rate, even after the second shipment. There is no reason why this should have happened. For what it is, I should be able to go buy one right now. People waiting in long lines, crashing sites, being sold out in minutes... just a bit ridiculous. It's almost as if Nintendo sold concert tickets. The second shipment will be minuscule, I'm calling it.

I'm still not even aware of any kind of official second shipment for the NES Classic, but I got the heads up that Best Buy's site had it showing as in stock yesterday afternoon, so I hopped on it. It says it's in the shipping process, but I'll believe it when it gets delivered. It's probably not going to get much use and I'm already slightly regretting the knee-jerk reaction to purchase it. That's probably Nintendo's main tactic, honestly.

niggo
03-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Tomorrow is the big day! Anyone pre-ordered? I for one am incredibly excited. The Switch is the reason I didn't mind the delays for the physical component.

jmtd
03-02-2017, 04:36 AM
Got my NES Classic Mini finally :D

Kodiak33
03-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Zelda is getting incredible reviews...some are saying it's the best game ever made.

Space Suicide
03-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Zelda is getting incredible reviews...some are saying it's the best game ever made.

Im sure it's good but best game ever made? Pshhh right.

Shadaloo
03-02-2017, 09:16 AM
I'll know soon. I'm getting my copy tonight but might not have my Switch until Monday.

It BURNS.

halo eighteen
03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Amazon shipped out my grey Switch, Zelda, and Bomberman games out last night, and now it's in the hands of the trustworthy USPS. Scheduled to come tomorrow, it left Whitestown, IN last night and there's no further updates yet. Please don't go through Allen Park, MI. That place is a fucking black hole in the mail system.

Twiggy
03-02-2017, 12:52 PM
I've got the limited edition of Zelda ordered.
But waiting on the SWITCH.

Hoping a METROID game is announced soon.

Piko
03-02-2017, 02:59 PM
My gamestop is giving out stickers for the launch at six. Off in an hour, gym, then fuck off until then. Then I go back at 1130 for the launch.

Is there a zelda that hasn't gotten a perfect score? I know Ocarina and Twilight Princess did. IGN gave the new one a 10 as well.

otnavuskire
03-02-2017, 04:28 PM
I preordered the Switch and Breath of the Wild from Gamestop and paid for day one delivery, which means it's supposed to ship today. But I've yet to get a shipping notice. Starting to get anxious about it!

ManBurning
03-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm usually stoked about a new Nintendo console release, but I'm gonna hold out on buying this one for now. The only games I am interested in at this time are Bomberman and Street Fighter 2 Ultra, and I'm not rushing out to buy a $400 console to play a couple Super Nintendo re-vamps, lol. I'll wait for the holiday season when Mario Odyssey and/or a decent holiday packed bundle becomes available. I have no interest in Zelda, so there literally is no incentive for me to run out and try and find a console at this point.

Piko
03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Zelda is very interesting. You can't just run around and fight randomly anymore. Gotta worry about your resources. Only got about an hour in, but it's pretty co so far. Kinda regretting not bringing it with me to work (I caved and bought a case).

The joycons actually feel a lot better than I was expecting. The docked controller feels good too, despite how cramped and odd I think it looks. Firmware is as bare as it gets.

Overall, it's pretty cool.

Piko
03-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Is it just me but do the joycon grips suck. They feel nice but are an absolute bitch to take off with the fear of breaking something.

Wretchedest
03-04-2017, 01:16 PM
New Zelda is awesome. No more hand holding, total freedom. Very challenging. So good

Conan The Barbarian
03-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Sold out, SOLD OUT. Who ever is in charge of market research for nintendo needs to die in a fire.

tony.parente
03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Sold out, SOLD OUT. Who ever is in charge of market research for nintendo needs to die in a fire.
Haha I mean, if you're trying to buy a new console the day after it releases you're gonna have a bad time.

Conan The Barbarian
03-04-2017, 04:53 PM
I mean, I didnt have problems with consoles selling out before. Its just Nintendo is notorious for not having enough of anything. It screws people out of enjoying their product.

halo eighteen
03-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Is it just me but do the joycon grips suck. They feel nice but are an absolute bitch to take off with the fear of breaking something.

The wrist band/plastic part that goes on top of each joycon? Fuck yes, that thing blows. I somehow put in on the wrong way and had a bitch of a time getting it to come off.

The actual joycon grip unit that both individual joycons connect to seems to be much better, but I don't think I've attempted to remove it yet.

Piko
03-04-2017, 05:46 PM
The wrist band/plastic part that goes on top of each joycon? Fuck yes, that thing blows. I somehow put in on the wrong way and had a bitch of a time getting it to come off.

The actual joycon grip unit that both individual joycons connect to seems to be much better, but I don't think I've attempted to remove it yet.
The actual grip is great. But those plastic ones are garbage. They look and feel great. But I'm worried about breaking something.

kel
03-05-2017, 09:44 AM

fact.

this has been going on a long time.

most recently the nes mini nonsense. in january i tried to find a 2ds because, and i'm not kidding, i broke my 3ds in half during a weird sleepwalking incident. i just wanted to to play my ambassador games. best buy, walmart, target, nothing in stock. the guy at best buy even said they "weren't allowed" to order more.

Conan The Barbarian
03-05-2017, 09:51 AM
That's some bullshit

Jinsai
03-05-2017, 01:28 PM
so I guess when these things get back in stock, I'll be paying 360 bucks to play the new Zelda game. Yay, thanks Nintendo. Once again, buying a piece of hardware to play one, MAYBE two games.

liquidcalm
03-05-2017, 02:37 PM
so I guess when these things get back in stock, I'll be paying 360 bucks to play the new Zelda game. Yay, thanks Nintendo. Once again, buying a piece of hardware to play one, MAYBE two games.
I thought fuck it, and picked up a used Wii U instead for £120 and BotW. At least then I get to play the other... two or three games I wanted to check out. I've only got a small TV so it wasn't like the 900p - 720p difference is a huge one. Its freaking pretty anyway. I'll hold off on the Switch until.. whenever some more interesting (for me) things come out..

In other news my experience of the Wii U is totally mixed. It is so... not user friendly.. despite how many times it wants to check if you need an adult to help you..

eversonpoe
03-05-2017, 03:47 PM

you could get a WiiU instead which is AWESOME and play it on there. just sayin'.

meanwhile, i was supposed to get my copy of the new zelda (for WiiU) on release date, but it didn't actually ship until today, so it will be coming tomorrow. blugh.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2017, 04:53 PM
you could get a WiiU instead which is AWESOME and play it on there. just sayin'.

For me, the visual difference between the two versions is very jarring (http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/01/18/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-graphics-comparison-wii-u-e3-2016-vs-nintendo-switch-ign-gr). The WiiU version is very muted with the colors, followed by inferior details. I would shell out the extra couple of bucks and go for the Switch version... plus, some of the prices for a WiiU are still ludicrous.

I am waiting a decent amount of time before I jump on the switch train. With the lack of launch games, next to the backlog of games I have on my PS4... I'm going with the backlog I have for now. I'm thinking closer to the holidays is when I'll nab one of these and fall in love with Zelda all over again. As for the NES classic, I was lucky enough to get one off ebay for 90 bucks :). The average price skyrocketed literally a day after I ordered it due to that story about them discontinuing the console all together. Fucking Nintendo.

Jinsai
03-05-2017, 04:58 PM
yep... fucking Nintendo...

I think I might just do that and grab a Wii U... that way I can still go through Xenoblade and X... I can deal with some crappy graphics. I don't play Nintendo games for graphics anyway.

Conan The Barbarian
03-05-2017, 06:07 PM
For me, the visual difference between the two versions is very jarring (http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/01/18/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-graphics-comparison-wii-u-e3-2016-vs-nintendo-switch-ign-gr). The WiiU version is very muted with the colors, followed by inferior details. I would shell out the extra couple of bucks and go for the Switch version... plus, some of the prices for a WiiU are still ludicrous.

I am waiting a decent amount of time before I jump on the switch train. With the lack of launch games, next to the backlog of games I have on my PS4... I'm going with the backlog I have for now. I'm thinking closer to the holidays is when I'll nab one of these and fall in love with Zelda all over again. As for the NES classic, I was lucky enough to get one off ebay for 90 bucks :). The average price skyrocketed literally a day after I ordered it due to that story about them discontinuing the console all together. Fucking Nintendo.

I would never trust whatever IGN says because I feel that they are one of the worst sites out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_x8N-22wjg
try that for comparison as its release footage and they kinda come pretty close with the switch having a little more detail.

ziltoid
03-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Word on the interwebs is that there finally is emulation of the wii u on pc.
check out cemu.
Edit: Word is its going to take a while for Zelda BOTW to be playable.

Dream
03-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Loving my Switch and Zelda.

The difference in quality between the Wii U and Switch is a vast chasm. Nintendo got it (mostly) right this time.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-05-2017, 09:33 PM
I would never trust whatever IGN says because I feel that they are one of the worst sites out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_x8N-22wjg
try that for comparison as its release footage and they kinda come pretty close with the switch having a little more detail.

Eh, I never had any problems with IGN. It's a bit different in comparison, but everything just seems brighter and more crisp on the switch. Comes down to preference pretty much for me. At least we can look forward to newer games with the switch.

EDIT: Nevermind with the link I provided, they just posted an updated comparison today reflecting the one you posted :).

reznovka
03-06-2017, 04:05 AM
Thought about getting the switch when it came out.
But as history showed there are always some flaws with the first generation of consoles.
Guess I'll get mine later this year even though I really want Zelda. Have to play older games on my DS for now.
But it looks awesome <3

halo eighteen
03-06-2017, 06:37 AM
I'm not going to say BOTW is the best game ever, but this is the most fun I've had with a Zelda game in ages. I can't get over how expansive the game map is. And you can virtually go anywhere. I'm pretty much overwhelmed with everything that there is to see and do.

Shadaloo
03-06-2017, 02:05 PM
I'm about five hours in and I don't think I'll need a new game for the rest of the year. It's astounding.

thelastdisciple
03-06-2017, 04:36 PM
So when you put the cart in what happens, does the game actually install or all the data remains on the cart? and if it does install provided you have expanded memory can you actually choose where to install it?

Piko
03-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Plays from the cart.

thelastdisciple
03-06-2017, 07:28 PM
http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-cartridge-16gb-launch/

This is an older article from last October but it sounds like the carts have a 16gb capacity (32gb potentially)?

Do Nintendo just have crazy compression methods or more efficient file systems? seems ridiculously small if Breath of the Wild is as immense of a game as people are saying it is, it boggles my mind how they'd be able to pull something like that off under 40GB+ these days. Although i guess something like Zelda since the textures are cartoony and not super detailed like GTA V that probably cuts down heavily on the size of it.

Piko
03-06-2017, 11:29 PM
I've got to be doing something wrong. I'm getting murdered constantly. Some enemies are just one-shotting me. I can't even make it to a dungeon. Is there gear I'm missing out on? What am I doing wrong?

liquidcalm
03-07-2017, 01:59 AM
I've got to be doing something wrong. I'm getting murdered constantly. Some enemies are just one-shotting me. I can't even make it to a dungeon. Is there gear I'm missing out on? What am I doing wrong?
While you can go anywhere you like, have you followed the main quest up until around the first village or two? I found as soon as I wander off the path, that is when problems started, but I got off the plateau and to the first village with a mix of stealth and such. The Shrines along the way will unlock a few really useful abilities too. I also learnt that the camps usually have barrels around them, which oft get thrown in your direction, unless of course.. you blow them up first...

Thing I noticed in what I've played so far is the enemy encounters / camps are a lot like MGSV... with swords n arrows...

Piko
03-07-2017, 08:40 AM
I've probably done more towers and shrines than main quest. Atm, I'm in the Zora area. I'm on the path. There's baddies with lightning arrows, some just one shot me. I just feel like I'm probably weaker than I should be. Not sure what I should do, tbh.

Shadaloo
03-07-2017, 12:09 PM
The game's designed to be like that. There's a recommended path, the main one, but the intent was to make a bunch of areas out there that the player won't be ready for (like visiting Death Mountain in Z1 right away, for example), but will always be free to explore at their own risk. Though if you're on the main gameplay path (you're further ahead than I am) that's a little distressing, but not surprising. I got one-shotted by Blue Bokoblins on the plateau a few times, lol

You're not doing anything wrong, you might just not be ready to be where you are yet. Hunt about for armor or maybe try and cook something that nullifies lightning damage? Maybe nail a few more shrines to boost your stats a bit? There's always a way.

theimage13
03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Word on the interwebs is that there finally is emulation of the wii u on pc.
check out cemu.

This is the best news I've heard in ages. I've only done minor research - does it actually play legit discs, or is it literally just for "backups"? I have a Wii and a 360 and enough games between them that I don't want a new console, but I really want to play Mario Kart 8. I have absolutely no qualms buying the game, but I can't justify over $200 for a console just to play a single game. It would be amazing to just plop it in the computer and play (and yes, I do have a BD drive in my desktop).

eversonpoe
03-07-2017, 10:58 PM
This is the best news I've heard in ages. I've only done minor research - does it actually play legit discs, or is it literally just for "backups"? I have a Wii and a 360 and enough games between them that I don't want a new console, but I really want to play Mario Kart 8. I have absolutely no qualms buying the game, but I can't justify over $200 for a console just to play a single game. It would be amazing to just plop it in the computer and play (and yes, I do have a BD drive in my desktop).

i have mario kart 8 for my wiiU and i can tell you it's a hell of a lot of fun. i think my only complaint is that the battle mode is one the regular courses, not in special arenas, but that's a pretty small gripe.

ziltoid
03-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Unfortunately the way the Wii U reads discs is literally spinning the disc backwards from a conventional drive so the only way to rip games is to use a hacked console connected to a pc.
While I don't know exactly how to rip games as long as you own a legit copy of a game you can legally download a copy of the internet as a "backup". Then you can use Cemu to play the game (if it is currently supported).
Check out this video it explains almost everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfxv9dMk-I
Playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze at 4k is truly amazing I can't wait to try other games.
Also this website let's people know if a certain game is playable in cemu at the moment.
http://compat.cemu.info/

allegate
03-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Did you see happened to the Zelda Amiibos? Just yesterday the prices for the skyrocketed because people found out they drop rare items in BotW.

Piko
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
I really don't get the whole amiibo thing. I only have one. It's cool, but I don't get the obsession. I have the wolf link one. He warps in and follows along with me.

allegate
03-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Breath of the Wild Amiibo
•Archer Link – Acquire a rare bow or a few types of food.
•Horserider Zelda – Get special swords and saddles. Also gives players food items.
•Zelda – Acquire the Hylean Shield. Also gives food items.
•Guardian – Get special weapons and arrows. One of the possible arrows can one-hit guardians. Also gives food items.
•Bokoblin – Drops powerful clubs, food items and elixir.
Smash Bros. Amiibo
•Link – On the first use, get Epona. Other uses spawn weapons, armor and even pieces for the green tunic outfit.
•Zelda – Bows, gems, herbs and vegetable can be acquired with this Amiibo. Also, players have a rare chance in getting the Twilight Bow.
•Ganondorf – A chance at getting powerful claymore type weapons, food items, arrows and monster parts. Players will also have a small chance at getting the Sword of the Six Sages claymore.
•Sheik – Get shield, swords, elemental mushrooms and arrows with this Amiibo. Also rarely drops the Sheik’s Mask.
Other Zelda Amiibo
•Wolf Link – Spawn Wolf Link as a companion. It will have three Hearts to start with but can be increased by playing Twilight Princess’ Cave of Shadows. If Wolf Link dies, tap Amiibo again to spawn the companion.
•8 – Bit Link – Drops barrels full of rupees and a chest. The chest can contain weapons, shields and arrows. Also drops the Hero equipment set.
•Ocarina of Time Link – Drops meat and weapons. Can also drop the unique Time equipment set.
•Toon Link – Drop fish and a few gear. Also gives a chance to get the special Armor of Wind set. Can also drop the Seabreeze Boomerang rarely.
•Toon Zelda – Drops herbs, vegetables, and games. Will also drop Hero’s Shield rarely.
There are a ton of bonuses in store for those who try out the Zelda Breath of the Wild Amiibo features. Players can get a ton of exclusive items and even outfit Link in one of the few green tunics. For fans of the game, the Zelda Breath of the Wild Amiibo functions are definitely worth looking into.

Looks like a lot of stuff, especially Epona.

Piko
03-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Guess I played Cave of Shadows. Wolf Link spawns with about 20 hearts for me.

NotoriousTIMP
03-08-2017, 08:52 PM
I cant get enough of this system so far. I love that i can take it anywhere with me and have the power of a full home console in my hands. :)

Piko
03-08-2017, 08:55 PM
I cant get enough of this system so far. I love that i can take it anywhere with me and have the power of a full home console in my hands. :)
I've been bringing it to work.

NotoriousTIMP
03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I brought it with me to Starbucks and ended up staying there until my battery died. Then I finally moved on to actually doing some homework...

https://imgur.com/gallery/To5Bj

Piko
03-08-2017, 10:41 PM
So I just watched a guy with weaker gear than me just stroll into zoras domain. I definitely screwed up. I've made progress though.

eversonpoe
03-09-2017, 09:02 AM
spent about 5 hours playing zelda yesterday.

toward the end, i did a shrine and then walked into the forest, ran away from a bear, and right into a giant skeleton monster with an eyeball. i tried to defeat him about 6 or 7 times before i realized i had to shower and leave my apartment, so i'll see if i have better luck today. the amazing thing is, i didn't get frustrated. i just kept adjusting my strategy, seeing what worked and what didn't. the game is absolutely incredible. like zelda, shadow of the colossus, and assassin's creed had a baby. the ONLY thing i don't like is having to kill animals for meat...makes me feel sad.

halo eighteen
03-09-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm not a fan of killing the animals either. I'm told an accurate headshot will instantly kill it, but I wasn't so good at that and had to keep injuring and chasing after it. You can steal food from the the enemy embankments but it's probably already cooked.

I'm having so much fun with this game, but I'm stuck up at the first (I guess you can do things in any order though?) dungeon boss. He can kill me in just one shot lol. So I'm just wandering around elsewhere trying to find shrines and towers. There's no greater disappointment than trekking for what seems like miles towards something you can see in the horizon that doesn't look nearly as far away as it actually is.. and then finally getting there and realizing there's some kind of toxic goo crap all over and you can't even access it anyway. I seriously need to beef up my heart containers before I try to take on the boss again.

eversonpoe
03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
I'm not a fan of killing the animals either. I'm told an accurate headshot will instantly kill it, but I wasn't so good at that and had to keep injuring and chasing after it. You can steal food from the the enemy embankments but it's probably already cooked.

I'm having so much fun with this game, but I'm stuck up at the first (I guess you can do things in any order though?) dungeon boss. He can kill me in just one shot lol. So I'm just wandering around elsewhere trying to find shrines and towers. There's no greater disappointment than trekking for what seems like miles towards something you can see in the horizon that doesn't look nearly as far away as it actually is.. and then finally getting there and realizing there's some kind of toxic goo crap all over and you can't even access it anyway. I seriously need to beef up my heart containers before I try to take on the boss again.

i got blown up by lightning like six times before i stopped trying to go the way i was trying to go and just saying "i guess i'll do that later."

my wife insisted on me playing last night so, from about 7:45-11pm, she just watched me play, and made fun of me EVERY TIME i died. it was great.

halo eighteen
03-10-2017, 01:14 PM
i got blown up by lightning like six times before i stopped trying to go the way i was trying to go and just saying "i guess i'll do that later."

my wife insisted on me playing last night so, from about 7:45-11pm, she just watched me play, and made fun of me EVERY TIME i died. it was great.

haha! I've had some close calls with the lightning but never actually got struck by it yet. I had some real interesting things to see exploring around the volcano area. I swear the rain always seems to come at the worst times for me. There's almost nothing worse than getting stranded clinging onto the side of a mountain!

frankie teardrop
03-10-2017, 01:37 PM
has anyone actually purchased the wii u version of BOTW and can therefore comment with a review? i've been to the nintendo store about four times in the last few weeks and a bit impatient to start playing. weather is bad, i have a cold, i just wanna play some zelda.

i'm sure i'll get a switch as more games get announced, but in case it doesn't really take off with a great library, having the zelda game work well enough would be enough to get me by for a while. i've checked out the comparison video and it seems "fine" just wanted to hear from someone local!

allegate
03-10-2017, 01:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKhg2Nv8dPg

liquidcalm
03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
has anyone actually purchased the wii u version of BOTW and can therefore comment with a review? i've been to the nintendo store about four times in the last few weeks and a bit impatient to start playing. weather is bad, i have a cold, i just wanna play some zelda.

i'm sure i'll get a switch as more games get announced, but in case it doesn't really take off with a great library, having the zelda game work well enough would be enough to get me by for a while. i've checked out the comparison video and it seems "fine" just wanted to hear from someone local!

I've probably only seen... 5% of the game so far on Wii U. While I can't compare it to the Switch side by side (there are plenty of videos out there) it is just that: fine. There are some frame rate drops, the game jumps between 30 and 20 (apparently) when things get real busy, and that is noticeable, but doesn't really effect gameplay as Zelda games are not very twitchy or reflex based. It does still look stunning, hiding the consoles dated (dated, really, its like.. 5 years old, which is really nothing) hardware with some outstanding painterly artwork. Oh, the draw distance is also huge, but sometimes random stuff pops in, like travellers. I've been playing on PS4 since it launched and find it hard to go back to PS3 games, but this still feels modern. It definitely not a sub-par game in any form.

tony.parente
03-10-2017, 03:52 PM
I dropped by target and went to the electronics section and asked if they had any switches in stock.

It went as well as expected.

Spoiler: They laughed in my face lol

frankie teardrop
03-10-2017, 03:55 PM
yeah stopping by the store and asking was kind of like asking for a reservation at dorsia at 8pm...

thanks for the details, liquidcalm - i think i'm going to pick it up on the way home and spend the sniffles playing on the wiiU. once the switch hype dies down a bit and a few more killer games are released (metroid, etc.)- i'll pick that up, but i'm glad i can still get on board for some sweet, sweet zelda action.

eversonpoe
03-11-2017, 10:32 AM

i don't have a switch so i've been playing on the WiiU and i love it. i also haven't looked at footage of it on the switch so i have nothing to compare it to other than my life-long love of zelda games, and it does not disappoint. people really haven't been exaggerating when they've been saying it may be the best game ever.

ziltoid
03-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how does pokemon trading works between two 2ds?
My cousins son has pokemon Moon and I was thinking of buying Sun so I can play and trade with him.
It will give me a reason to play on my rarely used 2ds. It will also help me show an interest with my cousins son since he is crazy about pokemon.
I've only ever played pokemon yellow on my old gameboy color a very long time ago.
Is the gameplay the same? Has it changed much?
Any help would be appreciated.

NotoriousTIMP
03-16-2017, 10:03 AM
So I managed to snag one of these from my local gamestop stores and plan to restore it back to it's former glory :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/YShIX

tony.parente
03-18-2017, 08:49 AM
I bought breath of the wild for the Nintendo switch yesterday, the thing is I don't own a Nintendo switch yet. I know that the console just got released on the third and this happens for every company with their newly released consoles but I am absolutely frustrated to the max. I've made approximately 15 phone calls a day for the last week and a half, have used Uber to go to target and Walmart while I was on business in Chicago, gotten up early to go to target when it opens, then to Best Buy when it opens, then Walmart, then Kmart, and even big lots on a literal daily basis. I have in stock notifications set up for Walmart, Best Buy and Target. I was absolutely over the moon today, I asked customer service at Walmart if they had any pre-orders or returns that I might be able to buy. Apparently they had a return 2 days ago and a person bought it yesterday.

I'm trying so hard, and I'm being as patient as possible due to the fact that everyone on the planet seems to want one as well...but FUCK.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-19-2017, 02:37 AM
So I found a dude on my local buy/sell/trade Facebook page that's selling his Switch and Breath of the Wild for $400, and I'm extremely tempted to take him up on it. Is it worth it, then?

Conan The Barbarian
03-19-2017, 09:39 AM
It's a bit overpriced but really not by much on what you would pay for. So yea it's a very fair offer to be honest.

Unless the switch is 199, because I'm thinking it's 299.

Space Suicide
03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
So I found a dude on my local buy/sell/trade Facebook page that's selling his Switch and Breath of the Wild for $400, and I'm extremely tempted to take him up on it. Is it worth it, then?

Don't fall for his scam. He's trying to rip off whomever is gonna buy it.

It's $299.99 retail value. His shit is USED, regardless if he used it once and is dust free, so it should NEVER be the cost of a new console....let alone more.

NotoriousTIMP
03-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Fuck it, used or not I would jump on that price. The game is AMAZING and with the console being sold out for the next month or two I say go for it. Just double check to make sure everything works.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Don't fall for his scam. He's trying to rip off whomever is gonna buy it.

It's $299.99 retail value. His shit is USED, regardless if he used it once and is dust free, so it should NEVER be the cost of a new console....let alone more.
As much as I agree with you about the shit should be cheaper being used, I dunno if it's much of a scam. If it is, this 19 year old kid is really only netting...what, $20-30? After the cost of the $300 console and $60 game...it HAS only been out for what, two weeks? But again, if I wait a couple more months I can get them anyway and save myself a little money while having everything legit and not having to sweat it. I DID just get an Xbox One, after all. :/ As badly as I want one, the more I think about it, the more I think I might actually sit the offer out.

It's just SO cool! D:

Space Suicide
03-19-2017, 03:07 PM
As much as I agree with you about the shit should be cheaper being used, I dunno if it's much of a scam. If it is, this 19 year old kid is really only netting...what, $20-30? After the cost of the $300 console and $60 game...it HAS only been out for what, two weeks? But again, if I wait a couple more months I can get them anyway and save myself a little money while having everything legit and not having to sweat it. I DID just get an Xbox One, after all. :/ As badly as I want one, the more I think about it, the more I think I might actually sit the offer out.

It's just SO cool! D:

I used an alarm word like scam to tell you NO. :B

It's clear he has buyer's remorse or just shallowly wanted the console for one freaking game. Trying to recoup his losses hence the price. If he genuinely wanted to not profit from a sold out console he'd ask for something cheaper than $400.00. Just my two cents. I LOATHE used tech so I'd stay far way from this.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-19-2017, 03:20 PM

It's clear he has buyer's remorse or just shallowly wanted the console for one freaking game. Trying to recoup his losses hence the price. If he genuinely wanted to not profit from a sold out console he'd ask for something cheaper than $400.00. Just my two cents. I LOATHE used tech so I'd stay far way from this.

AND IT WORKED KIND OF. Understandable. But I say this having bought second hand consoles in the past without any issues that I can recall, I try to be careful! But again. SO COOL. But maybe now is not the time.

tony.parente
03-19-2017, 03:36 PM
AND IT WORKED KIND OF. Understandable. But I say this having bought second hand consoles in the past without any issues that I can recall, I try to be careful! But again. SO COOL. But maybe now is not the time.
GameStop announced they'll be getting a shipment on 3/22. Id camp out an hour or two before they open.

eversonpoe
03-19-2017, 06:16 PM

It's just SO cool! D:

$299.99 + $59.99 = $359.98 x 1.09 (approx. 9% sales tax) = $392.37

he would be making approximately $7.63 off you. take the deal.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-19-2017, 06:45 PM

he would be making approximately $7.63 off you. take the deal.

Why you gotta do the math to make it look so much more appealing?? D:

halo eighteen
03-20-2017, 06:51 AM
55+ hours into BOTW and I'm still loving it. Just saying.

I found the Master Sword, but it damn near killed me when I tried to take it. I guess poor Link isn't strong enough yet :(

niggo
03-20-2017, 07:23 AM

I've never been to the US, so here's something I've always wondered: Why the hell isn't the sales tax already included in the price? How are you able to know how much you're spending? Does it say $299.99 in the store and then at the checkout it's 9% more expensive?

Anyway, since the price seems to be reasonable I too would say go for it! BOTW is amazing.

halo eighteen
03-20-2017, 07:25 AM
I've never been to the US, so here's something I've always wondered: Why the hell isn't the sales tax already included in the price? How are you able to know how much you're spending? Does it say $299.99 in the store and then at the checkout it's 9% more expensive?

Anyway, since the price seems to be reasonable I too would say go for it! BOTW is amazing.

Yeah, tax isn't typically included in the advertised price, and not all things are taxed (some grocery items, particularly). Every state is different, too. Like Michigan's is only 6%. Just something you have to account for when you check out.

Dream
03-20-2017, 10:01 AM
40+ hours into BOTW. Extremely happy with both the game and the Switch hardware. It has single highhandedly re-ignited my love for single player games (I play a lot of Overwatch). Can't wait to play a lot of the upcoming indie games.

sick among the pure
03-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Yeah, tax isn't typically included in the advertised price, and not all things are taxed (some grocery items, particularly). Every state is different, too. Like Michigan's is only 6%. Just something you have to account for when you check out.

Not only is every state different, some cities are different from the rest of their state. I didn't realize this until I moved from NY to Philly for a few years.
NY is 8%
PA is 6%
Philly, in PA, is 8%
I didn't have a problem with this, since I was used to 8% on everything.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-22-2017, 04:31 PM
I aaalmost bought the second-hand Switch. Decided against it to see if I could get one at Game Stop, but when I called this morning they told me that not only did the shipment not come in today, but there were also more people lined up than they even had Switches for. Which I expected, but I was hoping demand wouldn't be that crazy HERE that early for this. I think unless a crazy good deal pops up again, I'll just bide my time until I can get one retail. As long as I get to play BOTW before the Zelda symphony orchestra show in October, I'm good! :D

It does make me happy to see all this positive feedback regarding BOTW and the Switch itself, though! Can't wait to have one.

NotoriousTIMP
03-23-2017, 07:05 PM
So GameStop.com has the bundles up for sale and I've read that people end up returning the extra items they don't want since GS just itemizes everything individually on the receipt. I say go that route if you don't want to have to wait for a month or so for restocks

sick among the pure
03-23-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm just so glad that Nintendo's customer service is doing such a great job with handling the cases of defunct systems/controllers getting out there. They're owning it and doing overnight shipping replacements for the left joycon problems. Any new system launch, especially this different of a system from the previous, is going to have hardware problems at first. I'll never forget the 360 disc scratch and red ring issues that Microsoft NEVER did anything about.

NotoriousTIMP
03-28-2017, 06:05 PM
What exactly is the joycon issue that people are experiencing? I have yet to play it with the screen docked so my controllers are always attached to the system.

Piko
03-28-2017, 06:42 PM
What exactly is the joycon issue that people are experiencing? I have yet to play it with the screen docked so my controllers are always attached to the system.
It desyncs during play. Luckily, I haven't had that problem. And fix seems to be foam rings.

sick among the pure
03-28-2017, 09:21 PM
The desync is with the left joycon only, also, which is the weird part (what is so different about the internal parts that one would be affected by such a major thing and the other unaffected at all?).

RJK
03-29-2017, 09:06 AM
The desync is with the left joycon only, also, which is the weird part (what is so different about the internal parts that one would be affected by such a major thing and the other unaffected at all?).
The right was has a dedicated board for the antenna and the left doesn't apparently.
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/22/15023146/nintendo-switch-joy-con-controller-left-fix-foam

NotoriousTIMP
03-29-2017, 06:00 PM
rescued another kiosk today :)

http://i.imgur.com/u2nwfdc.jpg