PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

allegate
08-06-2018, 11:01 AM
When I was 14 and had those reflexes? Certainly I could do it. Hell, my friend and I had it memorized and could get past it every time. It's the snake level that kept killing us.

halo eighteen
08-06-2018, 02:35 PM
I played the fuck out of that game so much that it ended up always being the last level that threw me; that stupid rotating tower thing! Plus that winger-clinger whatever ball of death chasing you level was really cheap, too. You have to be SPOT ON with a controller, and I find that emulation has enough of a delay that makes it almost impossible unless you're playing on the real thing. Better make sure your controller has held up well, too! hah.

Funny enough, I never really had issues with the turbo tunnel unless I was deliberately trying to get to level 4. Getting the warp to level 5 is easy but trying to pass all those walls can be brutal. Someone on GameFAQs forums has been trying to do a no-hit run for a while now and I'm not sure if he's been successful or not. I wouldn't even attempt a one-life run, let alone that. And that blindfolded guy! I mean, just.. why? Why would you do that to yourself?! lol

My trick to a good run was always doing the 5-lives cheat code and racking up as many 1-ups as possible in level 2 from repeatedly hitting all the crows. Several of the later levels have spots you can keep re-collecting 1-ups if you die, I think.

Louie_Cypher
08-06-2018, 02:52 PM
took the switch on it's first road trip worked great have plenty of juice bars(batteries), also picked up, mario odessy skyrim and doom my obly tiny complaint is i wish there was a smaller mobile docking station
-louie

ManBurning
08-07-2018, 04:13 PM
I played the fuck out of that game so much that it ended up always being the last level that threw me; that stupid rotating tower thing! Plus that winger-clinger whatever ball of death chasing you level was really cheap, too. You have to be SPOT ON with a controller, and I find that emulation has enough of a delay that makes it almost impossible unless you're playing on the real thing. Better make sure your controller has held up well, too! hah.

For Level 11, "Cinger Winger", the issue actually doesn't lie with emulation. Believe it or not, it has to do with the type of TV you are playing on. If you are playing on a new HDTV, you get a lag that makes the level impossible to beat. I thought it was my emulator at first as well. I used to be able to beat this game so easily and when I started it up again a few years ago, I kept getting to Level 11 and failing and I couldn't understand why. I even have my original NES and game cart as well, and I tried hooking that up, and still no luck. I was starting to think my skills were deteriorating. But this video explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iZWZLF1T8&t=300s

After watching that, it felt good knowing it wasn't me that somehow lost my skills to beat the level. But it still sucks, because the only way to beat the game now is with a CRT TV. Who in the right mind is going to keep one of those around just to play/beat Battletoads lol. It's still one of my favourite games, but I don't have the space to keep an old TV laying around. Maybe if I had an extra room and was able to create a designated game room, I would do it.

Also, while on the topic of Level 11, there is also a glitch or bug in the North American version of the game that makes the 2nd player not be able to move. The toad is 100% frozen and his bike won't move.

Least Battletoads in battlemaniacs on the SNES isn't broken. That's kind of like Battletoads Lite, but it's still a fun playthrough.

eversonpoe
08-07-2018, 04:50 PM
...CRT TV. Who in the right mind is going to keep one of those around just to play/beat Battletoads lol. It's still one of my favourite games, but I don't have the space to keep an old TV laying around. Maybe if I had an extra room and was able to create a designated game room, I would do it.

my wife and i set up our guest room as an old game room with our CRT TV and all our classic systems hooked up to it :p

allegate
08-07-2018, 06:01 PM
I found a CRT HDTV on the side of the road a year ago and I was so excited because it would be great for the SNES/NES mini or even Rock Band due to the lack of input lag. Couldn't find a place for it though - I forgot how huge those things are! - so I had to get rid of it.

ManBurning
08-08-2018, 01:42 AM
my wife and i set up our guest room as an old game room with our CRT TV and all our classic systems hooked up to it :p

Yeah, if I had the room, I would love to have a game room with classic systems and toys and old relics from the past set up. Unfortunately, I live in a small 1 bedroom condo. Not gonna fly here unfortunately.

theimage13
08-08-2018, 05:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wK5Z23hoo

Not to be all clickbait-y, but...this sure takes a turn.

Haysey_Draws
08-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Nintendo Direct today and many think they'll be a reveal for a new fighter in the next Smash, and some think they have found out who...

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/08/08/an-odd-leak-may-have-revealed-smash-ultimates-next-character-reveal

Interesting!

halo eighteen
08-08-2018, 12:19 PM
For Level 11, "Cinger Winger", the issue actually doesn't lie with emulation. Believe it or not, it has to do with the type of TV you are playing on. If you are playing on a new HDTV, you get a lag that makes the level impossible to beat. I thought it was my emulator at first as well. I used to be able to beat this game so easily and when I started it up again a few years ago, I kept getting to Level 11 and failing and I couldn't understand why. I even have my original NES and game cart as well, and I tried hooking that up, and still no luck. I was starting to think my skills were deteriorating. But this video explains it

Ugh.. well that actually explains a lot. It's the same reason I used to be awesome at Guitar Hero, and then upon getting a new (at the time) flat screen TV, suddenly I wasn't. And I've never bothered with it since. Can't play Gumshoe or Duck Hunt or anything else with a Light Zapper without a CRT TV either :(

That 2-player issue with Level 11 is unfortunate, but I honestly don't think I've ever been able to get a 2nd player with me past the Turbo Tunnels lol.

Also: holy hell. Simon and Richter Belmont in Super Smash. Oh, and King K. Rool??!!

allegate
08-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Ugh.. well that actually explains a lot. It's the same reason I used to be awesome at Guitar Hero, and then upon getting a new (at the time) flat screen TV, suddenly I wasn't. And I've never bothered with it since. Can't play Gumshoe or Duck Hunt or anything else with a Light Zapper without a CRT TV either :(

That 2-player issue with Level 11 is unfortunate, but I honestly don't think I've ever been able to get a 2nd player with me past the Turbo Tunnels lol.

Also: holy hell. Simon and Richter Belmont in Super Smash. Oh, and King K. Rool??!!

Same here, that's why I was excited about that television.

Conan The Barbarian
08-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Wouldnt putting the televisioon on game mode solve any lag problems? All my tv's pretty much come with that mode and I am ok with it.

Piko
08-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Smash is going to be ridiculous. No one can complain about a lack of content. And they're not even done announcing stuff either. It's nuts.

ManBurning
08-08-2018, 03:13 PM

Haha Yeah, I was going to add to my comment something like "Not like very many people would actually be able to get to level 11 co-op style" I mean, you need 2 incredibly skilled people to do so. But there is also the ability for a 2nd player to just press start anywhere on the blue-print map screen in between levels and they can join in at any time. It's a "secret" if 1 player is better at another level, the other one can have their count-down continue screen run out and then skip out on a level and join again on the map screen for another level.

Sucks about the game-breaking glitch, because all in all that game was incredibly ahead of it's time. It was pushing the NES' limitations. If the game wasn't so brutally hard or broken, it could have been one of the best NES games out there. It's still in my top 5 NES games, but I am a rare breed that actually enjoys challenging games. They certainly don't make games like they used to. Now, games like Donkey Kong Country tropical freeze give you an "assist mode" where if you die too many times, the game will beat the level for you... What kind of crap is that!

And wait, Christ on a cracker, are you serious!? King K. Rool!?!?!?!? Holy hell...
I just woke up recently and haven't seen much on the internet yet, just came here to check my notifications, but... King K Rool!?!?!? in Smash!? And Simon Belmont, heh.

That's amazing!! I'm 100% sold now!! Actually, I always was sold. I love the smash games. They seem to get a lot of flak for some reason. You either love them or you hate them. There is no real "in-between". Not sure why that is. It's a very divided franchise. But daaaamn. I was worried from the last direct there weren't going to be any more new characters.

Wouldnt putting the televisioon on game mode solve any lag problems? All my tv's pretty much come with that mode and I am ok with it.

Nope. As explained in that video, changing it to game mode doesn't change the fact the level is still unbeatable on an HDTV. I actually checked my settings on my TV recently to see if that was the case, but I have had it on "game mode" this whole time. Doesn't work. Can't vouch for whether or not it fixes the issues with the other games mentioned, but I know it doesn't fix the issue with Battletoads, unfortunately.

eversonpoe
08-08-2018, 05:13 PM
"game mode" on a TV just ups the brightness and contrast so that video games are easier to see, has nothing to do with the scan or refresh rate or lag of the display :/

dvdglss
08-09-2018, 11:15 AM
#Paperboy4Smash

allegate
08-15-2018, 02:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1029808069897842690

Diablo 3 coming to the Switch with some interesting exclusives.

liquidcalm
08-16-2018, 02:06 AM
Dark Souls finally has a release date of Oct. 19th. Which mostly means I can finally own that Solaire Amiibo. Also I've been itching to go back to DS, and held of the remaster earlier this year as I haven't had much time to game.

halo eighteen
08-21-2018, 08:03 AM
https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-ages-phantasy-star-launches-for-switch-in-september/

SEGA Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV should be showing up on the eshop soon; Phantasy Star coming next month with new features including a bestiary, item/magic list, music player and built-in map!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/hd_remaster_of_grandia_and_dreamcast_sequel_reveal ed_for_nintendo_switch

Oh, and Grandia and Grandia II HD Remasters are on the way, too. This is great news for RPG lovers!

Louie_Cypher
08-21-2018, 08:14 AM
taking the amino dive we'll see
-louie

Haysey_Draws
08-21-2018, 10:03 AM
https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-ages-phantasy-star-launches-for-switch-in-september/

SEGA Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV should be showing up on the eshop soon; Phantasy Star coming next month with new features including a bestiary, item/magic list, music player and built-in map!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/hd_remaster_of_grandia_and_dreamcast_sequel_reveal ed_for_nintendo_switch

Oh, and Grandia and Grandia II HD Remasters are on the way, too. This is great news for RPG lovers!

Grandia II was a freaking fantastic game on my Dreamcast!

elevenism
08-25-2018, 05:41 AM
Does anyone have an official gamecube controller or two, wireless or wired, that they would be willing to sell me?

I got hold of a hard drive with a bunch of GC games on it but I don't have a controller. It's driving me nuts.

I was about to order one from eBay but I thought I might ask my compatriots here first.

eversonpoe
08-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have an official gamecube controller or two, wireless or wired, that they would be willing to sell me?

I got hold of a hard drive with a bunch of GC games on it but I don't have a controller. It's driving me nuts.

I was about to order one from eBay but I thought I might ask my compatriots here first.

there's a new one coming out for the switch that works with the GC controller adapter (it's basically the same as the ones that came out for the WiiU, and the WiiU adapter even works with the switch, apparently) so you'll be able to buy a brand new one shortly.

elevenism
08-27-2018, 12:35 AM
there's a new one coming out for the switch that works with the GC controller adapter (it's basically the same as the ones that came out for the WiiU, and the WiiU adapter even works with the switch, apparently) so you'll be able to buy a brand new one shortly.
Preciative, @eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) , but I'm not necessarily sure it will work for my purposes.
I'm running GC backups on an old Wii using USB Loader GX and Nintendont, which, at least USED to be notoriously finicky regarding controllers. (as in it might not recognize the new controllers unless they're EXACTLY the same.)
So my offer still stands.
In the meantime, ima order one of these $5 knock off jobs and see if maybe it works.

eversonpoe
08-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Preciative, @eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) , but I'm not necessarily sure it will work for my purposes.
I'm running GC backups on an old Wii using USB Loader GX and Nintendont, which, at least USED to be notoriously finicky regarding controllers. (as in it might not recognize the new controllers unless they're EXACTLY the same.)
So my offer still stands.
In the meantime, ima order one of these $5 knock off jobs and see if maybe it works.

the ones for WiiU/switch meant to be used with smash bros are literally gamecube controllers with different paint jobs, as far as i know, so it may work fine for you.

elevenism
08-28-2018, 03:44 AM
Has anyone had any luck with R4 carts?
I think I've got this figured out.
I DO wish I had got a 2DS or 3DS so I could have installed custom firmware, but I think I'm going to use my phone as a handheld emulation solution and the DS lite specifically for DS games, which I plan to store on micro SD and run with the flashcart. I'm ordering the R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart.

I also now have TWO softmodded Wiis. My old one has nes, snes, gb, gbc, gba, sega, and Sega Genesis and a lot of my favorite games.

The new one has all of those emulators with EVERY game, plus I have the ability to load Wii and GameCube games from an external hard drive (and I have a terabyte of them.) I'm really excited about all of this.

elevenism
09-06-2018, 05:24 PM
What are your favorite Wii games (that aren't first party?)

halo eighteen
09-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Mega Man 11 demo is on the eshop. Block Man is the only playable stage, but holy wow is this game fun! And hard as balls.

halo eighteen
09-14-2018, 07:15 AM
Nintendo Direct goodness yesterday:

New SMB U Deluxe port in January
Capcom 7-game arcade Beat-em-up collection out next week
Yoshi's Crafted World in Spring 2019
Luigi's Mansion 3 in development
New Animal Crossing next year
Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD out RIGHT NOW.

oh yeah, also all these coming:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy
World of Final Fantasy Maxima

me= dead.

allegate
09-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Capcom 7-game arcade Beat-em-up collection out next week

So Street Fighter 2, Special Champion Edition, Turbo, New Challengers, HD Remix, Ultra, and a HD update of the original Street Fighter?

I kid.

ManBurning
10-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Mega Man 11 demo is on the eshop. Block Man is the only playable stage, but holy wow is this game fun! And hard as balls.

I bought the full game earlier this week.
Beat it in about a day. It starts out difficult but once you get the hang of things it gets quite easy. It took me 2 hrs to beat the first 2 robot masters, so I averaged about an hour per robot master but by the time I had all 8 down I was 6 hrs in. Wily fortress 1 was a it tricky, but I breezed through the rest pretty easy. There is a shop that allows you to buy e-tanks and upgrades that I feel make the game pretty easy.

Still a fun game though. The graphics are beautiful. At first I was weary about the game when it was first announced, the graphics and gameplay rubbed me the wrong way, but after actually sitting down and playing through, the game was great.

The default controls are a bit wonky, I customized them a bit to include a button to use as the slide and I swapped the gears with the weapon bumpers as I found I would go to hit "L" and "R" to activate the gears and end up switching weapons instead.

I don't think the replay value is very high though. After I finished the game I had no interest in starting a new one. They have some challenges like how fast can you beat the bosses, can you get though a stage with jumping as little as possible etc. Which are a tad fun if you're into that kind of thing. Not the best mega man man, but certainly not the worst either. Better than 7, 8 and 10.

If they could change anything, it would be the bosses. The bosses all felt like a "I've been here before" feeling. They are super generic bosses. Fire, ice, construction, electricity, a bomb guy... basically rehash of the first mm game bosses. Call me weird, but I kinda liked the weird bosses like sheep man. That's really my only complaint, and maybe the game could have been a little longer. The wily levels are short. 8/10. Worth playing if you're a fan of the old series.

Piko
10-06-2018, 09:47 PM
A few of the stages are hard as shit. Some are really easy. Bosses are easy. I'm digging it though. I just got to the Wily stages.

halo eighteen
10-08-2018, 06:25 AM
I bought the full game earlier this week.
Beat it in about a day. It starts out difficult but once you get the hang of things it gets quite easy. It took me 2 hrs to beat the first 2 robot masters, so I averaged about an hour per robot master but by the time I had all 8 down I was 6 hrs in. Wily fortress 1 was a it tricky, but I breezed through the rest pretty easy. There is a shop that allows you to buy e-tanks and upgrades that I feel make the game pretty easy.

I pretty much echo all those sentiments. The game overall felt a bit short, and that's even with me majorly screwing up the first night I had it! I assumed the game auto saved, so after I rage quit about 5 levels in (I think it was Impact Man's annoying stage) I went back the next morning only to discover, surprise! I had to play through everything all over again. I will say the second time around the levels were all much easier, though. However, I lost all the bonus items from completing the demo :(

I didn't bother with too many of the challenges yet. It seems like a lot of them really require you to use the double gear system. My main playthrough was on Normal mode, and I guess I'm kind of a purist in that I actively didn't use the gears much at all. I did slow down time in the chase sequences in Torch Man and Wily's Castle stages, but I think that's about it really. Maybe I'll go back and try Superhero mode, but I don't have a huge desire to replay the game. It was a refreshingly fun experience, but I could replay a lot of those NES titles immediately after beating them and I'm just not feeling it from this one. I do agree it's better than many of the post-NES games.

I made a trip to Target to get the Hori Zelda D-pad joy-con. Amazon had it on backorder and I wasn't about to try to play a Mega Man game without a real d-pad. It really makes all the difference in the world; I'm sure that's why I had such a tough time with the demo.

ryanmcfly
10-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Does anyone have any experience adding games to the SNES classic? I've been looking into it and it looks kind of easy.

Halo Infinity
10-20-2018, 03:52 PM
I actually haven't been following up on video games in what seems like forever, but Nintendo will always have a special place in my heart. There's so many sentimental and nostalgic reasons attached to Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube and the Nintendo Wii. (As well as the GameBoy, and I was born too late to experience the original Nintendo when it just came out, but I definitely got love for it too.)

I only went up to the Nintendo Wii U as of now though, but haven't really brushed up on it that much. There's so much clutter with my old systems though, not to mention all of the controllers included, so as much as I want to expand my collection as a long-term goal, I also don't want to keep jumping the gun on my collections. (Which can also apply to any other interest involving collecting.)

I still like video games, but I just don't have the overall drive and interest as I used to. But one thing's for sure is that it's still very likely that I'm going to follow Nintendo as the years/decades go by.

halo eighteen
11-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience adding games to the SNES classic? I've been looking into it and it looks kind of easy.

I'm too scared to hack my shit, but I will say it would be cool to have the whole library on there. I have a SD2SNES everdrive thing for my actual console though, so it's kind of like the next best thing.

I just picked up Diablo III for Switch and I think my whole world has changed. I can see myself dumping obscene amounts of hours into this game lol

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-05-2018, 06:55 AM

It was easy for my husband to do! We have over 100 games now that he hacked into it. Have you tried it yet? The worse case scenario was that our SNES classic would become a block good for nothing, but my husband managed to figure it out via YouTube tutorials and online reading and even hacked into 3 of our friends classics to also give them hours of fun with it. If your interested in how he did it, I can get him to explain it to me. (Again, ha) something about downloading the games, creating the files, wiping the memory on the SNES then installing all our files. He kept a backup of everything originally on the SNES to be sure that if anything went wrong, he could wipe the memory and reset it back to it's original state with original games

ryanmcfly
11-05-2018, 10:26 AM
It was easy for my husband to do! We have over 100 games now that he hacked into it. Have you tried it yet? The worse case scenario was that our SNES classic would become a block good for nothing, but my husband managed to figure it out via YouTube tutorials and online reading and even hacked into 3 of our friends classics to also give them hours of fun with it. If your interested in how he did it, I can get him to explain it to me. (Again, ha) something about downloading the games, creating the files, wiping the memory on the SNES then installing all our files. He kept a backup of everything originally on the SNES to be sure that if anything went wrong, he could wipe the memory and reset it back to it's original state with original games

I have not done it yet. I am playing through Super Mario RPG first. I want to at least beat that one, so if i brick my system, it isn't a total loss.

halo eighteen
12-03-2018, 07:16 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/12/analogue_announces_new_limited_edition_super_nt_an d_you_can_order_one_right_now

Want to play a fully functioning SNES with HDMI output and Bluetooth controller capability? Do you want the added feature of startup sounds courtesy of Ghostly International artists like Christopher Willits, Gold Panda, Mary Lattimore, Ouri, Shigeto, Tadd Mullinix, and Telefon Tel Aviv?

$250 (https://www.analogue.co/editions/ghostly-super-nt/) and limited to 1,000 copies. You bet your ass I just ordered one lol

Piko
12-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm fucking ready for smash!

eversonpoe
12-04-2018, 06:30 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm fucking ready for smash!

my wife and i pre-ordered it the other day (i was worried about spending the money on it after buying so many x-mas presents for people but she said we could split it, woo!) and my best friend is coming in to town later this week so we're probably just going to play all weekend. i'm very excited!

also, new remaster of the original Katamari comes out for the switch this week! probably won't pick it up right away (again, money) but it'll be nice to have it on a newer system so i don't have to mess with my PS2.

halo eighteen
12-04-2018, 08:11 AM
I'm traditionally quite horrible at Smash games, but I did just finally pre-order after realizing I was sitting on about $40 in amazon credit. Plus there's a Prime offer for $10 credit, so that's nice. Lately I've been playing an awful lot of Lufia on SNES, so I need something to get me back to the 21st century at least lol.

Piko
12-04-2018, 01:46 PM
I was pretty good back in the melee days. Didn't get a Wii so I only played Brawl and little bit and eventually fell off. I'm gonna try to play more often than I did the Wii U one.

eversonpoe
12-04-2018, 03:42 PM
I was pretty good back in the melee days. Didn't get a Wii so I only played Brawl and little bit and eventually fell off. I'm gonna try to play more often than I did the Wii U one.

i actually don't like the N64 one, and i love the gamecube one. the wii one is...not great, and i play the wiiu one pretty regularly. so i'm very excited.

Piko
12-04-2018, 04:43 PM
i actually don't like the N64 one, and i love the gamecube one. the wii one is...not great, and i play the wiiu one pretty regularly. so i'm very excited.I only played the N64 one a little bit. I was all about Melee. I'm not sure I don't really play the Wii U one tbh. It's not bad or anything. Probably just too lazy too hook up the console.

ManBurning
12-08-2018, 04:47 AM
It's almost 3am here, and I've been trying to marathon unlock all these bloody characters for the last few hours in the new smash game.
I have a smash party tomorrow and i'm only at 45/72 of them...

eversonpoe
12-09-2018, 08:31 AM
tested out the gamecube controller adapter on the switch starting with mario kart yesterday and i actually liked using the wavebird for it better than the switch controller haha

my best friend is in town, and one of my other good friends came over for dinner with us & my wife last night, and afterward the four of us played smash bros for a couple hours. my wife not only won a round but ALSO defeated a challenger and was so excited! (it wasn't the first time she's won a round but she really kicked ass and it made me so happy)

some of the new stuff in the game is great, some of it is weird, and i still absolutely hate whatever the wind gun is called that's from skyward sword because jesus fucking christ that thing is cheap as hell. i do love that you have to unlock almost all of the characters, though. it's nice to have a bit of a challenge.

halo eighteen
12-09-2018, 06:37 PM
5279-5638-9484

My Switch code if it's needed for Smash, or if anyone just wants to add lol. I just played a few matches to get started on unlocking stuff. I'm overwhelmed with the vast amount of content!

eversonpoe
12-17-2018, 10:27 PM
my wife has been kicking my ass about 50% of the time in smash bros. and it's awesome. i have to break the habit of pointing out when she does something "wrong" though, because she doesn't give a shit and just wants to have fun. i need to let it go if she doesn't hit the right button at the right time and not make her feel bad about it or she'll stop wanting to play with me, and that would suck.

halo eighteen
12-18-2018, 06:56 AM
I've managed to unlock like 4 characters so far. I'm not even saying how many I've lost to. Go me lmao.

RJK
12-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Every time a Smash Bros game come out I get super excited about it and but the most expensive version, then I start playing and remember how absolutely horrible I am at these games.

kel
12-27-2018, 12:03 PM
i know i’m way late to the party, but i got a switch for christmas and super mario odyssey has been blowing my mind. it’s a big deal to me because my most current console is a 2ds (which i still use a lot). i’m over a decade behind with my wii (also still use a lot for vintage games) and my ps3, which is basically just a blu-ray player at this point.

but even though this thing feels sturdy, i’m afraid i’ll damage it if i fuck with the joy cons too much. i got a costco bundle that came with a wireless pro controller and i haven’t figured out my preferred way of playing yet.

halo eighteen
12-27-2018, 12:10 PM
^Yay! If you're playing in handheld a majority of the time, Hori makes a great cheap left joy-con alternative with a real D-pad. It can ONLY be used in handheld mode, but that's been my most convenient option so it's been awesome. I don't have a pro controller, but I have heard the d-pad isn't that great on it. For TV play, the joy-con grip that came with the system hasn't given me any problems.

I will say Smash looks amazing on our 75-inch, but the hubby monopolizes that a lot with his PS4 hah. I'm still waiting for him to play a round of Mario Kart of Party with me :(

halo eighteen
02-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Nintendo Direct incoming tomorrow, 5pm eastern time featuring news about Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Hearing rumors of Pikmin 3 and Metroid Prime Trilogy ports, as well as Super Mario Maker 2 and new 2D Zelda and Pokemon games. Excited!

Haysey_Draws
02-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Oh i forgot we are due a proper main line Pokemon game this this year! EXCITE!

ryanmcfly
02-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Super Mario Maker 2 and a remake of of Legend of Zelda Links Awakening were announced. As well as BATTLE ROYALE TETRIS!!!!

kel
02-13-2019, 05:18 PM
a remake of of Legend of Zelda Links Awakening ...
genuinely exciting. and it looks incredible — very true to the original. anyone familiar enough with nintendo direct live streams have any guess as to when a date will be announced?

ghostaustin
02-13-2019, 06:21 PM
I was literally screaming during the Mario Maker 2 reveal. I played the first one a lot, and didn't get a whole lot of traction as far as my star count and popularity, but I made some fun levels!

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Nintendo is KILLING IT with this Direct, as they often do these days. They aren’t all a total knockout, but when they are, it’s like Christmas. Plus, can’t beat the “Remember that thing? Well, you can play it soo- RIGHT NOW” release model. I can’t wait to have my Switch back.

And fucking Tetris battle royale?? Who even came up with that?? Beyond intrigued.

*Buys FFIX for the 5th time*

Christ, AND a playable demo for Daemon X Machina?? Damn, man!

Piko
02-13-2019, 09:01 PM
I've played the Tetris. It's nuts. Bought ff9, again. Something about it being on a handheld with a big screen enticed me. 20 was a little steep, imo. I had some credit though so it ended up being 14, thankfully.

Joker in Smash end of April is great news as well.

Haysey_Draws
02-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Some good shit there, i'm very much interested in the Legend of Zelda remake (fun fact, link awakening is the only Zelda game i've played back on the GameBoy...i hated it, but mainly as i wasn't into RPG's when i was 8, so i think it's worth another go!)

No Pokemon announcement though :(

halo eighteen
02-14-2019, 07:36 AM
I just pre-ordered all of DQXI, DQBuilders 2, and Assassin's Creed III. And bought FFIX quicker than I even knew what was going on. Take my money, Nintendo. All of it.

Tetris 99 was MAD fun last night.

Astral Chain looks, how do the kids say it, dope af.

eversonpoe
02-14-2019, 09:12 AM
i wish you could just play tetris without having to do the online aspect, since i don't have a switch online account and don't really wanna spend the money :(

my wife is super excited about link's awakening, as she prefers top-down zelda games. i'm excited because it's one i've never played! (i haven't really played any of the handheld console zelda titles as i never really had a handheld system for long any time i owned one)

zecho
02-14-2019, 12:58 PM
What makes Tetris 99 a battle royale? It looks like a fun multiplayer Tetris game, but what makes it specifically a battle royale? Cause I don't see it.

halo eighteen
02-15-2019, 05:01 AM
What makes Tetris 99 a battle royale? It looks like a fun multiplayer Tetris game, but what makes it specifically a battle royale? Cause I don't see it.

Yes, I'd say it's absolutely a form of battle royale. There's 99 simultaneous players, competing in a shrinking game area (albeit not the same game area). You can even direct attacks at other players by getting combos and clearing multiple lines. Only one person is ultimately left standing. It's not a shooter, but it checks just about all the boxes.

Cookster426
02-19-2019, 11:23 AM
For those that have played Tetris 99, how do you perform direct attacks on other players? Couldn't find anything in the game regarding instructions or 'How To Play' tutorials.

halo eighteen
02-19-2019, 11:41 AM
I think you can use the Left analog stick to specifically target other boards, while the right analog stick can be hit either up, down, left or right to have your attacks have a pre-set target (random, attackers, badges, and KOs - there's the list in the upper middle of the screen)

ryanmcfly
02-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime is retiring... His sucessor's name is Doug Bowser.

allegate
02-21-2019, 02:32 PM
https://twitter.com/Jabba128/status/1098663919885959168

ryanmcfly
02-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Nintendo announced a Direct for tomorrow at 6am pacific time. Something Pokemon related. Looking like we're getting a gen 8 reveal

Haysey_Draws
02-26-2019, 09:29 AM
nintendo announced a direct for tomorrow at 6am pacific time. Something pokemon related. Looking like we're getting a gen 8 reveal

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Haysey_Draws
02-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Pokemon Sword and Shield announced, DAMN IT LOOKS GOOD! Like an actual JRPG now, not top down!

3 starters were the only things shown, but it WILL be out this year...also the Galar region looks like it's set on the UK...I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS!

ryanmcfly
02-27-2019, 08:21 AM
Pokemon Sword and Shield announced, DAMN IT LOOKS GOOD! Like an actual JRPG now, not top down!

3 starters were the only things shown, but it WILL be out this year...also the Galar region looks like it's set on the UK...I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS!

Yeah. Definitely getting UK/Europe vibes. Can't wait though. I think the names Sword and Shield are kind of lame though.

Haysey_Draws
02-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Yeah. Definitely getting UK/Europe vibes. Can't wait though. I think the names Sword and Shield are kind of lame though.

I'm not over the Sun and Moon with them but i'll get over that...i wanna see the legendary's, wonder if they'll be based on Dragons?

halo eighteen
02-27-2019, 10:49 AM
I don't know which one to pre-order! Guhh, this looks freaking amazing.

Haysey_Draws
02-28-2019, 02:16 AM
I don't know which one to pre-order! Guhh, this looks freaking amazing.

I'll wait to see which legendary's on on each one...but i'll be honest, i might get both!

halo eighteen
03-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Nindies Direct just happened. Cliffs notes version:

CUPHEAD coming April 18, pre-orders live today
Overland coming this Fall
My Friend Pedro coming in June
Neo Cab coming this Summer
The Red Lantern coming later this year
Darkwood coming in May
Katana Zero coming April 18
RAD coming this Summer
Creature in the Well coming this Summer
Bloodroots coming this Summer
Pine coming in August
Super Crate Box coming in April
Nuclear Throne out today
Ultrabugs coming later this year
Swim Sanity coming this Summer
Blaster Master Zero II out today for $9.99
Stranger Things 3: The Game coming July 4
Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. The Legend of Zelda coming this Spring

Jon
04-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Cuphead in 35 minutes... Really looking forward to the update (and addition to Switch). I also have the game from the Microsoft Store and GOG.com, which have yet to update.

ManBurning
04-19-2019, 02:31 PM
I've been doing a lot of gaming lately for my switch.

I bought the Turok 1 remasted version a few weeks back, because why the fuck not! lol. That was the first shooter I ever played growing up on the N64. I played through the whole game, and can say it still holds up.

Been playing through the new Yoshi game co-op with my girlfriend as well. It's a fun game if you want to have nice easy video gaming experience with a significant other or other family member, but there isn't really much of a difficulty level. You can basically die as much as you want with little to no repercussions. Still, we're having fun with it together.

Another co-op game my girlfriend and I played and beat together recently as the new Toejam and Earl game. That game was quite challenging, but fun as well. Always loved the original. Was skeptical going into the new one at first, wasn't sure I liked the new cartoony graphics, but you really get used to it after a while and it grows on you.
At first it feels like you are playing a really bad early 2000's flash game, but the game does have it's charm to it. I think I still prefer the original, but the new one was a much welcomed reboot that scratched my inner TJ&E fan. I'd say it's finally a true and proper sequel to the other games. You can discard the other entries in the series and go straight to this one.

Also picked up the Final Fantasy 9 digital remaster and a physical copy of the X/X-2 port as well. Have yet to try X/X-2 out.

Cuphead in 35 minutes... Really looking forward to the update (and addition to Switch). I also have the game from the Microsoft Store and GOG.com, which have yet to update.

I might re-buy cuphead for switch (already have it for xbox), but I'm waiting for a physical release with the DLC that is coming later this year.

Piko
04-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Played cuphead earlier for the first time. It's awesome. Hard as hell.

Jinsai
04-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Oh cool, I can get Cuphead on my Switch? There goes one of the last remaining reasons to get an Xbox

Piko
04-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Yup. And it's apparently not the only Xbox game coming either. That Ori game is coming too.

Jinsai
04-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Ori and the Blind Forest is coming to Switch too? Well, officially, there goes the other reason I was considering picking up an Xbox. Thank god. And maybe now I don't need to sell my Switch, which I was seriously considering.

Next thing you'll tell me Sea of Thieves is coming out on Switch

Piko
04-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Ori and the Blind Forest is coming to Switch too? Well, officially, there goes the other reason I was considering picking up an Xbox. Thank god. And maybe now I don't need to sell my Switch, which I was seriously considering.

Next thing you'll tell me Sea of Thieves is coming out on SwitchNot sure about that haha. I had heard about Cuphead and Ori awhile back. And now we have cuphead. Not sure if we're getting anymore than that or what could be next.

Apart from those two, Quantum Break is the only other Xbox game is really want to play. Not much else tbh.

ManBurning
04-26-2019, 02:36 AM

Next thing you'll tell me Sea of Thieves is coming out on Switch

I have to unfortunately keep my xbox for when the new Battletoads game comes out later this year... It's literally been collecting dust since I beat cuphead like a year and a half ago... I haven't booted it up since.

halo eighteen
04-30-2019, 07:25 AM
I have to unfortunately keep my xbox for when the new Battletoads game comes out later this year... It's literally been collecting dust since I beat cuphead like a year and a half ago... I haven't booted it up since.

Cuphead was such a blast when I played through it on Switch last week! I didn't really think it was all that difficult overall (just in a few spots), but I also didn't A or S-rank everything, and honestly I have no intention to haha.

ManBurning
04-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Cuphead was such a blast when I played through it on Switch last week! I didn't really think it was all that difficult overall (just in a few spots), but I also didn't A or S-rank everything, and honestly I have no intention to haha.

Did you play the xbox version before playing the switch version? Are there differences? I do want to get it on switch eventually, but I'm a physical media collector. So, I'm waiting for a retail version to buy.

halo eighteen
04-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Did you play the xbox version before playing the switch version? Are there differences? I do want to get it on switch eventually, but I'm a physical media collector. So, I'm waiting for a retail version to buy.

I haven't ever played the game previously, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same game as before. Or at least the same game with the new update that it recently had? The Switch version launched with those already on it (Mugman being a single-player playable character, whom I used; new cut-scene animations; more languages and quicker load times, etc).

halo eighteen
05-21-2019, 06:01 AM
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/capcom-beat-em-up-bundle-switch/

The Capcom Beat-em-up Bundle is on sale for $11.99 right now. This has been on my radar, so I might bite.

Cookster426
05-21-2019, 06:33 AM
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/capcom-beat-em-up-bundle-switch/

The Capcom Beat-em-up Bundle is on sale for $11.99 right now. This has been on my radar, so I might bite.

I bought it when it came out and I love it. It might be a little laggy if you play online with someone.

Haysey_Draws
06-05-2019, 08:30 AM
POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD NEWS!

So first gyms are now football stadiums, and you'll battle the gym leader while using "Dynamax" (which basically makes you pokemon the size of a house for 3 turns). The open world sections "wild lands" will have a fully controllable camera for the first time, and pokemon will roam like in Lets Go. You'll also have raid bosses, where you'll team up with 4 other players to take down a Dynamax'd wild pokemon (i'm not sure about this feature)

6 new poke's were shown, Wooloo (a sheep) Gossfleur (a flower that evolves into a dandelion) Drednaw (a turtle) and Coriknight (a badass cross/knight looking thing!)
The 2 legendarys were shown and...yep, they're just 2 dogs, one with a shield for a head and sif...i mean a dog with a sword in its mouth (they look...kinda rubbish personally, but then i was hoping for a dragon type)

Oh and the professor looks like the queen lol

And that's it. Oh it's out November 15th worldwide!

halo eighteen
06-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Hyperventilating. Breath of the Wild sequel in development. omg. omg. Hold me, someone. lol.

Haysey_Draws
06-12-2019, 05:50 AM
OK so some potentially 'bad' news for Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Pokemon not from the Galar region will not be able to be transferred into S&S from pokemon home. This is due to a change in policy at Game Freak, they will no longer have Pokemon that do not fit the adventure they are showing for the games. Pokemon not from the Galar region will NOT BE CODED INTO THE GAME, and they have no plans to do so!

...this really blows, especially for me as the one thing i loved most about the games was being able to collect them all, but it now looks like most of my collection will be stuck in Sun and Moon :( This has really dented my hype for it. I get why they are doing this, they'll be close to 1000 pokemon with S&S, so continuing to code them all in is probably too much work. Instead the Pokemon Home will be a hub for all of them for you to move the ones you can use to each new release...but this still really sucks!

elevenism
06-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Anyone hacking the 3DS family of systems? i softmodded a DS Lite, and, loved it so much that i ALSO softmodded one for my wife, brother, and niece.

Refurbished 2DS XLs are going for like, $50, straight from nintendo, and now, i'm thinking about getting into that. But, when i look at gbatemp, good GOD, i don't know where i'd start: the tech is kind of over my head. I mean, i could DO it if someone were to show me exactly which tutorial to follow and such- hence why i'm asking you guys.

Sorry if this is something i shouldn't be discussing here.

elevenism
06-23-2019, 07:56 PM
Can someone tell me how in the fuck to do a "power slide turbo boost" on Mario Kart DS?

Haysey_Draws
06-24-2019, 02:59 AM
Can someone tell me how in the fuck to do a "power slide turbo boost" on Mario Kart DS?

If memory serves from Mario Kart 64, you jump whilst turning to start sliding. The longer you slide the better the boost (this might have changed with newer games?)

eversonpoe
06-24-2019, 09:40 AM

hold the "drift" button (should be R) as you're going around a curve. keep holding it and tap the stick in the other direction briefly and then go back to holding the direction you're going around the curve. repeat one more time (i think?) and your sparks will change color each time. then let go of the drift button and you will get a boost.

Cookster426
06-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Anyone excited for Super Mario Maker 2 tomorrow? I am especially since I didn't have a WiiU when the first one came out. Seems like they're throwing everything but the kitchen sink in this version.

Piko
06-27-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm curious to try it. Never played the first one. Not huge into creating.

ryanmcfly
06-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Anyone excited for Super Mario Maker 2 tomorrow? I am especially since I didn't have a WiiU when the first one came out. Seems like they're throwing everything but the kitchen sink in this version.

Same. I didn't play the first one. But the new one looks bad ass.

The Doctor
06-28-2019, 11:57 AM
I'm curious to try it. Never played the first one. Not huge into creating.

I loved the first but never was big on creating either. I think you'll find this Vice review interesting, since it's from the perspective of someone who only plays and doesn't create:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qv7ae3/mario-maker-2-is-brilliant-but-i-hope-nintendo-doesnt-fail-the-community

My copy of 2 is arriving today and I cannot wait!

ManBurning
06-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Y'all who never played the first one were missing out. Key word, "were" cuz now you can get MM2! Woot woot! Looks to be improved upon on so many levels. I picked my copy up this afternoon. Looking forward to trying it when I'm off work. I'm still playing bloodstained too! Too many games to play! Sometimes there are dry spells and no good games for months and then all of a sudden everything I am interested in comes out all at once.

eversonpoe
06-30-2019, 08:51 AM
recently realized that you can download player-created levels in super smash bros on the switch and oh my god there are some really terrible levels (all about anime boobs) but there are also a lot of really fun ones. but my favorite that we found is called "train to heck" and it's really challenging but completely hilarious.

i also tried my hand at making a level and, once you figure out the layering system (and if actually have the ability to draw, unlike me) it's pretty fun!

Cookster426
07-09-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm having so much fun with Mario Maker playing the levels as well as creating them. I've created 5 levels. I recommend getting a stylus if you build your own courses.

elevenism
07-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Does anyone have a 3ds or 2ds they might like to sell?
Let me know.
Buying off of ebay can be rough, as "normal wear and tear" is pretty fucking subjective.
I bought like, 6 ds lites, to come up with 3 that were in good shape.

tony.parente
07-12-2019, 03:15 PM
oh my god there are some really terrible levels (all about anime boobs)
Ok this may have sold the game for me haha

elevenism
07-12-2019, 05:17 PM
My first handheld was an original gameboy- I think I was 9. It may not seem like much, now, but it was fucking INCREDIBLE at the time. Anyway, I've got a GB and GBC emulator running on my ds, and, have been revisiting some of that stuff: Metroid 2, Link's Awakening, etc.
Some of it is about nostalgia, but also, some of those games were genuinely stunning.

Jinsai
07-12-2019, 06:48 PM
Link's Awakening is probably my second favorite Zelda entry after Link to the Past, and is one of the only reasons I'm happy I own a Switch.

Haysey_Draws
08-07-2019, 09:08 AM
In Pokemone Sword and Shield news, Weezing has a new form that gives it a top hat...10/10 game of the year!

Haysey_Draws
08-09-2019, 03:17 AM
...you know i might be a little obsessed with these new character designs in Pokemon sword and shield...

B06jGqihM-v

B06usKXBygE

jmtd
08-13-2019, 01:10 PM
I've got £15 eshop credit to spend. Best hidden gem indie games GO

eversonpoe
08-13-2019, 01:56 PM
I've got £15 eshop credit to spend. Best hidden gem indie games GO

hollow knight

axiom verge

celeste

ghostaustin
08-14-2019, 08:44 AM
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/an-fcc-filing-points-towards-a-wireless-snes-contr/1100-6469052/

Hopefully SNES games are coming to the online service soon? I think the anniversary of the service is next month. I'm not big into online gaming, so the classic game library was my primary reason for signing up for it, along with the cheap price. I think everyone has been a bit disappointed with the slow drip feed of games so far.

eversonpoe
08-14-2019, 09:11 AM
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/an-fcc-filing-points-towards-a-wireless-snes-contr/1100-6469052/

Hopefully SNES games are coming to the online service soon? I think the anniversary of the service is next month. I'm not big into online gaming, so the classic game library was my primary reason for signing up for it, along with the cheap price. I think everyone has been a bit disappointed with the slow drip feed of games so far.

motherfucking shit. if i had known they were going to do that i wouldn't have gotten the NES controllers. i don't want to spend another $70 on controllers that i won't be able to use for a bunch of the switch games :/ but the SNES controller is still one of my fav game controllers ever designed.

Piko
08-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Hopefully soon. Seems like they're done with NES.

halo eighteen
08-19-2019, 08:34 AM
Indie World Nintendo Direct - 8/19/2019
Best Friend Forever - 2/14/20
Blasphemous - 9/26/19
Cat Quest II - Fall 2019
Close to the Sun - 2019
Creature in the Well - 9/6/19
Dungeon Defenders: Awakened - Feb 2020
EarthNight - 2019
Eastward - 2020
Freedom Finger - Fall 2019
Hotline Miami Collection - TODAY
Hypercharge: Unboxed - 2019
KINE - 2019
Munchkin: Quacked Quest - Fall 2019
Northgard - 9/26/19
One Finger Death Punch 2 - 12/2/19
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - 9/27/19
Phogs! - Early 2020
Risk of Rain 2 - Summer 2019
Röki - Winter
Skater XL - 2020
Skellboy - 12/3/19
Sparklite - Fall 2019
Spiritfarer - Spring 2020
Superhot - TODAY
The Touryst - Nov 2019
Torchlight II - 9/3/19
Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince - 10/8/19
What the Golf? - Winter
Youropa - Winter

eversonpoe
08-20-2019, 08:03 PM
my brain saw:

"risk of raisin 2"
and
"spiritfarter"

Haysey_Draws
08-21-2019, 03:13 AM
my brain saw:

"risk of raisin 2"
and
"spiritfarter"

...i mean i'd play those.

ManBurning
08-22-2019, 04:27 PM
I made a video of my favourite game per year for every year i've been alive for anyone that's curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaS89LeDBVM&t=3s

jmtd
08-23-2019, 08:49 PM
"sky rogue" is 50% off for a short time and an absolute blast, worth a look

Haysey_Draws
08-27-2019, 04:55 AM
I am obsessed with Marnie...OBSESSED!

B1cF6u5HxFB

It has gotten me back into drawing big time though!

NotoriousTIMP
08-27-2019, 09:35 PM
Just picked up Monster Hunter: Generations and Collection of Mana! MH was on sale at best buy for $29.99 instead of the normal $39.99, FYI...

jmtd
08-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Deep discounts on mega man and steam world games in the eshop today

jmtd
09-01-2019, 02:31 PM
hollow knight

axiom verge

celeste

Thanks. Axiom verge is currently 50% off! Unfortunately I've just cleared my eshop voucher. And I've got a metroidvania already (steamworld dig). But I'm still tempted.

ManBurning
09-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Finally made a Mario Maker 2 level for anyone that's brave enough to check it out. Course ID is 14G-LS6-VSG.

Fair warning, this is a pretty difficult level. It's called "The Hollow Tree" and it's inspired by the downward scrolling levels in Battletoads.

eversonpoe
09-09-2019, 10:42 PM
started playing around on some of the SNES games on switch tonight. some of them are games i didn't even know existed, but i'm glad to see some familiar titles (even though i own them for SNES and have a working one, it'll be nice to play them on my main tv instead of awkwardly sitting on the guest bed). definitely going to get one of the SNES controllers (they're going to be $30/each (which means you can buy just ONE instead of a $60 pair) and they'll charge via USB C cable instead of with rail chargers on the system, and i'm actually glad for that. BUT they aren't available yet, i guess? :: shrug ::

anyway, mario kart on SNES is both just as hard as i remembered and also hilarious.

Jon
09-16-2019, 10:42 AM
Where the danmaku at? I preordered this Japanese Limited Edition (https://www.play-asia.com/esp-rade-psi-limited-edition/13/70cxr3) port of ESP Ra.De. (Psi). It is also available for PS4.

I own all of the CAVE shooters available on iOS. Let's get some of these on consoles that aren't the Xbox 360.

eversonpoe
09-18-2019, 12:20 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61vx6bSYxhL._SX355_.jpg

bought this 8bitdo SF30PRO controller last week and it's honestly one of the best $40 purchases i've ever made.

if you play platformers on ANY system (it'll work with any modern console that uses bluetooth controllers, and it charges with a USB-C cable (included)) it makes such a huge difference having a proper D-pad, and buttons that aren't teeny tiny. i can't tell you how many times my thumb would wear out from using the fake d-pad on the joycon while playing celeste.

this thing is amazing.

and because it has both sets of L+R buttons, as well as a button that gets used as "home" (and another that on the switch is the "screenshot" button), there are literally no games it won't work for. that said, it's a little difficult to play smash bros. with it because you can't use the d-pad. but it was perfect for mortal kombat 11, which we picked up over the weekend along with mario maker 2 (we both had gift certificates from our leftover thinkgeek points).

edited to add: this is a much better investment than whatever controller nintendo is going to roll out officially for playing the SNES online games, because you know theirs isn't going to have both sets of L+R buttons, nor is it going to have a proper home button. plus this was $40; theirs is slated to be $30 but there's probably going to be about $10 shipping (if the NES controllers they released are any indications...kinda wishing i hadn't bought those, now)

nufan
09-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Looking forward to Link's Awakening released on Switch tomorrow (UK LE)! I never played the GB original. So with this and Collection of Mana, it should keep me busy for a while.

Jon
09-19-2019, 09:40 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61vx6bSYxhL._SX355_.jpg

bought this 8bitdo SF30PRO controller last week and it's honestly one of the best $40 purchases i've ever made.

if you play platformers on ANY system (it'll work with any modern console that uses bluetooth controllers, and it charges with a USB-C cable (included)) it makes such a huge difference having a proper D-pad, and buttons that aren't teeny tiny. i can't tell you how many times my thumb would wear out from using the fake d-pad on the joycon while playing celeste.

this thing is amazing.

and because it has both sets of L+R buttons, as well as a button that gets used as "home" (and another that on the switch is the "screenshot" button), there are literally no games it won't work for. that said, it's a little difficult to play smash bros. with it because you can't use the d-pad. but it was perfect for mortal kombat 11, which we picked up over the weekend along with mario maker 2 (we both had gift certificates from our leftover thinkgeek points).

edited to add: this is a much better investment than whatever controller nintendo is going to roll out officially for playing the SNES online games, because you know theirs isn't going to have both sets of L+R buttons, nor is it going to have a proper home button. plus this was $40; theirs is slated to be $30 but there's probably going to be about $10 shipping (if the NES controllers they released are any indications...kinda wishing i hadn't bought those, now)

I was going to suggest 8BitDo, but you said the Nintendo peripheral was $30, and I knew the cheapest 8Bit was $40. So glad you like it! I have the N30 Arcade Stick, and it’s the best cheap stick I own.

halo eighteen
09-19-2019, 11:30 AM
I have an 8bitdo controller that came with my SuperNT, and everything is great about it. Well, everything except the dpad. Which is infuriating. The diagonal directions are incredibly touchy and fire off when I don't want them to. It's really awesome playing Lufia for instance, or any other RPG and having your party just start turning in a different direction. I guess it could be fixed with some electrical tape, but I'm not usually one for performing surgery on my electronics. If the official SNES wireless/Switch controller has a properly functioning dpad and will still work with my 8bitdo receiver/SNES, I'd say it would be the most ideal thing for me. I don't have much of a use for the other shoulder buttons or analog sticks, since I'd likely exclusively use it for actual SNES games.

eversonpoe
09-19-2019, 01:47 PM
I have an 8bitdo controller that came with my SuperNT, and everything is great about it. Well, everything except the dpad. Which is infuriating. The diagonal directions are incredibly touchy and fire off when I don't want them to. It's really awesome playing Lufia for instance, or any other RPG and having your party just start turning in a different direction. I guess it could be fixed with some electrical tape, but I'm not usually one for performing surgery on my electronics. If the official SNES wireless/Switch controller has a properly functioning dpad and will still work with my 8bitdo receiver/SNES, I'd say it would be the most ideal thing for me. I don't have much of a use for the other shoulder buttons or analog sticks, since I'd likely exclusively use it for actual SNES games.

i don't know which one you have but i haven't run into accidental diagonals much (other than my own shortcomings haha) with mine. i know they release firmware updates somewhat regularly which might help with issues like that.

halo eighteen
09-19-2019, 02:44 PM
i don't know which one you have but i haven't run into accidental diagonals much (other than my own shortcomings haha) with mine. i know they release firmware updates somewhat regularly which might help with issues like that.

Yeah, upgrading firmware was what Analogue suggested, but everything seems to be up to date. I have the special white Ghostly records partnership edition from last year. Once I made a conscious effort to try like hell to not let my thumb even slightly slip to the side it was manageable. If I was into fighting games it might be more of an issue, I guess.

Jon
09-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Yeah, upgrading firmware was what Analogue suggested, but everything seems to be up to date. I have the special white Ghostly records partnership edition from last year. Once I made a conscious effort to try like hell to not let my thumb even slightly slip to the side it was manageable. If I was into fighting games it might be more of an issue, I guess.

The D-Pad being "touchy" seems to be a common complaint (https://www.reddit.com/r/snes/comments/7xjz67/fix_for_8bitdos_super_nt_controllers/). If it was a stick all you'd have to do is change the gate (square/circle/octagonal); it's not that easy for a D-Pad. I personally haven't noticed problems with the D-Pad, but I've learned to hold and move my thumb differently from playing fighting games. Of course, I also use an X-Box One controller on PC, and some people swear the D-Pad on those are unusable.

ickyvicky
09-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Mario Kart is now available for iPhone, iPad & Android!!

Haysey_Draws
10-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Nintendo are streaming a 24 hours "live footage" from the new region and it just looks like a wallpaper where an odd Pokemon might appear (it's been live a few hours and we've seen 5...)

THIS IS ADVERTISING 2019!

Haysey_Draws
11-04-2019, 03:31 AM
LOADS of Pokemon leaks with S&S being out next week along with the starter evoultions (The sad water Pokemon literally turns into an emo lizard lol!)

Also i cannot wait to meet Marnie in the game...

B4achcgBSet

elevenism
11-04-2019, 06:01 AM
Finishing up Order of Ecclesia on DS, and it's bitter-sweet. It's incredible, but knowing it's the last SoTN style game is utterly heart wrenching.

Jon
11-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Finishing up Order of Ecclesia on DS, and it's bitter-sweet. It's incredible, but knowing it's the last SoTN style game is utterly heart wrenching.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night just released performance update v1.03 for the Switch...

halo eighteen
11-04-2019, 10:43 AM
I keep meaning to go back through the GBA/DS CV games, but I'm hoping there will be some kind of re-release first. Dragon Quest 11 has all my attention right now. What an absolutely phenomenal game that is so far!

ManBurning
11-04-2019, 02:28 PM

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night just released performance update v1.03 for the Switch...

Yeah, bloodstained is hands down my #1 game of the year. It's absolutely Fantastic! It's available on multiple platforms if you don't have a switch.
Highly, highly recommended. Especially if you like SOTN style games.
It's as SOTN a game can get without actually being SOTN, haha.

Piko
11-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Maybe im in a minority. Couldn't get into Bloodstained... Comes nowhere close to sotn.

Jon
11-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Maybe im in a minority. Couldn't get into Bloodstained... Comes nowhere close to sotn.

I hear ya. Where did it fall short for you? Was the entire "package" subpar to SOTN for you?

I am currently waiting for more DLC as I have all shards (including boss shards) at Rank 9, Grade 9, all purchasable items at x99, ammo at x999, and gold maxed at 9,999,999.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing Dr. Mario World for the past month (no microtransactions); Versus is infinitely rewarding and punishing.

Piko
11-04-2019, 10:22 PM
I hear ya. Where did it fall short for you? Was the entire "package" subpar to SOTN for you?

I am currently waiting for more DLC as I have all shards (including boss shards) at Rank 9, Grade 9, all purchasable items at x99, ammo at x999, and gold maxed at 9,999,999.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been playing Dr. Mario World for the past month (no microtransactions); Versus is infinitely rewarding and punishing.I just found it boring. Never finished it. I love sotn. I ran through it not long before bloodstained. Kind of convoluted, imo. I'll give it another shot, eventually...

elevenism
11-05-2019, 01:03 AM
Yeah, bloodstained is hands down my #1 game of the year. It's absolutely Fantastic! It's available on multiple platforms if you don't have a switch.
Highly, highly recommended. Especially if you like SOTN style games.
It's as SOTN a game can get without actually being SOTN, haha.my friend got me an xbox one, or whatever the newest one is called, and I'm gonna have to try this Bloodstained, if it's available. Thx for the tip.

Haysey_Draws
11-11-2019, 03:11 AM
OK last one as i'm sure people don't want to see my nonsense on here but i'm still super hyped for Sword and Sheild and their character designs i had to do a cyber punk Marie with some Year Zero references...

B4pTP3ph4_M

Can't wait for friday, i really hope S&S is good, i'll need it to get through this christmas with my family...

theburningreptile
11-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Untitled Goose game is crack, I’ve had a lot of fun playing it.

elevenism
11-13-2019, 02:22 AM
Untitled Goose game is crack, I’ve had a lot of fun playing it.
I make a lot of stupid jokes about geese, mostly referring to one goose as a #Gease. RocketScience alerted me to the existence of this Untitled Goose Game, and my wife thought i had created the Wikipedia page myself.

The name and concept are fucking hilarious

Haysey_Draws
11-13-2019, 02:55 AM
I'm glad Untitled Goose Game is getting so much love, we need more weird random games!

I'm going to look to get River City Girls on Switch for Xmas, that game looks RIGHT up my street (and make me miss the Scott Pilgrim game!)

Haysey_Draws
11-13-2019, 08:43 AM
REVIEWS FOR SWORD AND SHEILD ARE IN...

IT'S A POKEMON GAME! It does sound pretty solid and s step up from Sun and Moon (you can skip tutorials FINALLY!) they've added a lot to the game and by the sounds of it made it so you actually have to think in gym battles...buuuuut sounds like the story is pretty average (wish we'd get back to the great stories of Black and White!)

ManBurning
11-16-2019, 12:11 PM
I'm glad Untitled Goose Game is getting so much love, we need more weird random games!

I'm going to look to get River City Girls on Switch for Xmas, that game looks RIGHT up my street (and make me miss the Scott Pilgrim game!)

River city girls was FANTASTIC. I bought the physical copy through Limited Run Games, and it was worth the wait. They put together a beautiful package and the game was absolutely marvelous. Played through it with the girlfriend and she loved it too. Played very much like Scott Pilgrim. Well worth it.

Piko
11-16-2019, 06:33 PM
REVIEWS FOR SWORD AND SHEILD ARE IN...

IT'S A POKEMON GAME! It does sound pretty solid and s step up from Sun and Moon (you can skip tutorials FINALLY!) they've added a lot to the game and by the sounds of it made it so you actually have to think in gym battles...buuuuut sounds like the story is pretty average (wish we'd get back to the great stories of Black and White!)Haven't seen a review yet. I'm digging it though. Its a pokemon game.

Haysey_Draws
11-18-2019, 02:36 AM
I haven't been able to play more then a few hours (had a family emergency so spent most of the weekend in hospital) but i am really enjoining the game thus far. From an artist veiwpoint i ADORE the character designs, everyone you meet in battle is so EXPRESSIVE! And how you can basically make your own Pokemon card of your character...and THEY'VE NAILED THE UK REPRESENTATION. The landscapes, the freaking house interior designs all the way through to the dialog, so much effort has gone into making it work!

Haysey_Draws
11-18-2019, 02:39 AM
River city girls was FANTASTIC. I bought the physical copy through Limited Run Games, and it was worth the wait. They put together a beautiful package and the game was absolutely marvelous. Played through it with the girlfriend and she loved it too. Played very much like Scott Pilgrim. Well worth it.

OK i'll have a gander at that physical copy! I would VERY much like a physical one, thanks for the tip!

jmtd
11-18-2019, 03:59 AM
Add instagram to the list of unreliable hosters for embedding images:

https://i.imgur.com/USlH7HJl.png

I'm holding my nose and using imgur to host pics for this board, which seems to at least work, for all that's wrong with it.

Haysey_Draws
11-21-2019, 02:53 AM
Right so i've had Pokemon Sword now for a week and this is my impresstion...

Cons first
-There are a number of technical issues, especially in the Wild areas with dropped frames. This game definitely needed a bit more time to get right.
-Trading is a clusterfuck. You can no longer put a Mon up with a request for which one you'd like in return, you have to start a trade with a random person and hope they select one you actually want.
-Lack of Legendary's. There are only 2 catch-able Ledge's in each game, 3 in total...that's the lowest for ANY Pokemon game (for context the first games Red and Blue had 4, the 3 legendary birds and MewTwo. X and Y had the same issue, only 3 original Legendarys, but also included Mewtwo and the Birds to take the total 7. Sword and Sheid doesn't even do that!)
-Your caped at what level Pokemon you can catch. AT the start you can only catch Mon up to level 20 and it goes up 5 levels for every gym you beat. This is annoying as your basically just skipping hunting your fav Mon until well into late game.
-No new Evee's.
-Lack of a National Dex.

Pros
-The aesthetic is SPOT ON with the UK. More so then any other game, they really nailed all the ways people talk, the scenery, even the new Pokemon and design, speaking of which...
-Character Design. These are the BEST looking character models the series has EVER seen. All of them are just so expressive and fun to watch even when battling.
-Character Customisation. It might still be a way away from Code Vain, this is the best of the series again. For the first time i feel like i can make a truly original looking trainer, the share amount of clothing options is CRAZY!
-Gigantamax battles. These are surprisingly fun and rewarding allowing you to battle with 3 other players (technical issues allowing) or random CPU players to get Pokemon you wouldn't normally be able to catch (like Gengar)
-Battles are actually challenging. I haven't been able to just over level my starter and blast my way through the game, i'm actually having to plan my battles which is helped by...
-Being able to access your box ON THE FLY. It's about time this was in a game, i can swap out ANY of my Pokemon at any time from my box (except in battle) and that's SO much more convenient!
-It's Pokemon.

Despite it's flaws i'm still really enjoying this one, much more so then USUM, SM and maybe even XY. But i can't help feeling that, given more time to really polish, this could have been far and away the best in the run of games!

Space Suicide
02-04-2020, 07:17 PM
I said fuck it and bought a turquoise Switch Lite, Luigi's Mansion 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and a 128 GB SD card today.

Let's rock.

Rdm
02-05-2020, 04:14 PM
make sure to get Zelda Breath of Wild. the game is incredible I already have over 175 hours

Space Suicide
02-05-2020, 06:48 PM
make sure to get Zelda Breath of Wild. the game is incredible I already have over 175 hours

I might even though I have never been a big Zelda fan and it's a time sink game being open world. I def want to get Link's Awakening though.

My friend code if anyone is interested: SW-0416-8918-5298

Space Suicide
02-08-2020, 09:09 AM
I started Super Mario Odyssey and also bought Breath of the Wild because fuck it only money right?

I also still want:

Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Deluxe U
Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Maker 2
Bayonetta 2 (FINALLY)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokemon Sword (haven't gave a shit about Pokemon since Neo series but this should be cool)

Am I missing any premiere titles on the list?

versusreality
02-08-2020, 09:15 AM
it's funny, I got a switch light a couple months ago, and a proper switch a couple weeks ago (my first "current gen" console since I had the ps3 at launch) , and repurchased a 2DS XL (had a new 3ds XL from 2016-2018, had to sell it and all my games) , and I haven't been able to put down my 2DS at all. I way prefer it over the Switch actually. haven't played the switch in about 2 weeks, been playing the 2DS XL daily.

kel
02-08-2020, 01:39 PM
it's funny, I got a switch light a couple months ago, and a proper switch a couple weeks ago (my first "current gen" console since I had the ps3 at launch) , and repurchased a 2DS XL (had a new 3ds XL from 2016-2018, had to sell it and all my games) , and I haven't been able to put down my 2DS at all. I way prefer it over the Switch actually. haven't played the switch in about 2 weeks, been playing the 2DS XL daily.
i get it. i've had a switch since xmas 2018 and i totally love it, but i pick up my regular 2ds way more. i love the vintage games, particularly the gameboy and gba titles (i'm an ambassador). i even prefer mario kart 7 to 8 deluxe.

i'm terrified of breaking my switch. and it constantly feels like i'm a millimeter away from snapping the joy cons off. or scratching the screen. or somehow messing the battery up. it makes it hard to enjoy.

versusreality
02-08-2020, 02:04 PM
ah dude, GBA titles! I wasn't gaming at all during the GBA gen and now I wish I could play so many of those titles. I guess I can always emulate at this point. when it comes to collecting, I'm a CIB type of guy which is just so rare for GBA titles. so I've made a commitment to collect DS/3DS stuff, and pick up a handful of more physical Switch games along with some digital downloads.

speaking of digital downloads, there's pros and cons to both, but I much prefer the virtual console for 3ds over the switch online services.

eversonpoe
02-09-2020, 06:34 PM
I started Super Mario Odyssey and also bought Breath of the Wild because fuck it only money right?

I also still want:

Yoshi's Crafted World
Super Mario Deluxe U
Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Maker 2
Bayonetta 2 (FINALLY)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokemon Sword (haven't gave a shit about Pokemon since Neo series but this should be cool)

Am I missing any premiere titles on the list?

there are a million games on the digital store and i've gotten a bunch that are great. i've been sinking hours into dead cells every day for the last few weeks. i literally can't stop playing it. i also never get mad​ at the game, even when i die while making good progress. i just start over and keep enjoying myself. that's a pretty different thing for me.

Jinsai
02-09-2020, 07:30 PM

I wish I liked this game

eversonpoe
02-09-2020, 08:15 PM
I wish I liked this game

https://media1.tenor.com/images/3dcc28fe7a5a827ec925b8d87a462b54/tenor.gif?itemid=10227299

seriously, though, it sucks to feel like you're missing out on something, but you also shouldn't force yourself to like it just because other people do. there are so many games out there, don't feel too bad. you're not missing out on it if you don't like it, right? it's like me and seafood...or most vegetables...or any number of other things...

Rdm
02-11-2020, 08:10 PM
I wish I liked this game

I feel the same way about Monster hunter world. I actually bought the game twice. I really do want to love the game but every-time I try to play I get so confused.

Space Suicide
02-11-2020, 10:23 PM
I wish I liked this game

I like what I've played of the game so far but I still think its vastly overrated like I always have.

halo eighteen
02-14-2020, 08:32 AM
I'm finally making progress on Shield and just got the Grass Gym leader defeated. Dynagigawhatevermax seems like such a fucking useless gimmick. "Oh, your pokemon is super huge and can totally obliterate me! Oh wait, I can make mine do the same thing!!!!11" Please change my mind that it's something more than that lol

BOTW was tons of fun when the Switch launched, and it really did reinvigorate my love for gaming but tbh I haven't touched it in well over a year now.

Kodiak33
02-18-2020, 07:36 AM
I wish I liked this game

I totally get this, and I didn't like it at first either. Now I'm addicted AF, trying to get one more shrine. There's just so many details etc that make it really impressive.

NotoriousTIMP
02-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Just got back from a trip to Japan and the airport in Tokyo (Narita) was decked out in Mario graphics (https://imgur.com/gallery/g7CNCvi) that greeted you as you made your way towards baggage claim.

ryanmcfly
02-19-2020, 12:22 PM
I wish I liked this game

That's how I feel about every Zelda game. It's something I want to like, I just can never get more than two hours into one before I get bored and turn it off.

Space Suicide
02-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Luigi's Mansion 3 is the shit. I love the game. That makes me happy I bought a Switch even just for that, not withstanding all other games on it and I have.

NotoriousTIMP
03-01-2020, 01:06 AM
Can anyone recommend a game thats on the switch and is in the vein of Diablo?

versusreality
03-02-2020, 07:23 PM

not on Switch, but Heroes of Ruin on the 3DS is in that vein.

halo eighteen
03-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - The Black Order comes to mind, being a Switch exclusive.

eversonpoe
03-04-2020, 12:22 AM

in case i haven't made this point enough in this thread, Dead Cells is amazing, and is basically a perfect cross between a metroidvania and diablo (even the music sometimes reminds me of diablo).

Haysey_Draws
03-04-2020, 04:45 AM
Pokemon Home finally launched and i did it...i actually DID IT! A COMPLETE LIVING DEX OF ALL 890 POKEMON!

Also been doing some shiny hunting in Sword, and got my Shiny Mimikyu :D

Kodiak33
03-04-2020, 02:45 PM
in case i haven't made this point enough in this thread, Dead Cells is amazing, and is basically a perfect cross between a metroidvania and diablo (even the music sometimes reminds me of diablo).

Dead Cells would be right up my alley...but I hate roguelike games.

Jon
03-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Dead Cells would be right up my alley...but I hate roguelike games.

Enter The Gungeon and Hyper Light Drifter would like to have a talk with you, buddy.

versusreality
03-08-2020, 05:37 AM
so earlier in the thread I was posting about how much I had fallen back in love with my 2DS XL. I...went way overboard buying games. here's a list of games I got in the past month:
Luigi's Mansion
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby Battle Royale
Pokemon Alpha Saphire
Pilotwings Resort
Miitopia
Tomadachi Life
Nintendogs + Cats
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Fantasy Life
Theatreryhtym Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Stella Glow
Return to Popolocrois
LBX
Moshi Monsters
Jake Hunter
Story of Seasons
Story of Seasons Trio of Towns
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Yo Kai Watch
Heroes of Ruin
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Monster Hunter Stories
Mario Sports
Ever Oasis
Radiant Historia
Fire Emblem Awakening
Detective Pickachu
SMT 4 Apocolypse
Dragon Quest VIII

and I know I'm missing a couple. either way...yeah way too much.

I was all in on the 3DS library....and then last week I played my Switch Lite again for the first time in months and fell in love with it all over again. Picked up Mario Kart 8 and it was indeed a game changer, I'm back on the "Switch is fucking awesome" wagon again. Also picked up Friday the 13th, Sword, Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and arriving today: Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Maker 2, Witcher III, Mega Man 11, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

being a teacher as well as taking two grad school courses, I wish I had more time to play things. sounds crazy, but just as quickly as I got those 3DS games, I'm going to trade many of them in to my local game store today. I had a realization yesterday that I'm just never going to get around to playing some of them. I'll be keeping lots of the good stuff. I started Fire Emblem Awakening last night, my first FE game I've played and I'm hooked. My focus on collecting is now set on the Switch.

NotoriousTIMP
03-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Pokemon Home finally launched and i did it...i actually DID IT! A COMPLETE LIVING DEX OF ALL 890 POKEMON!

Also been doing some shiny hunting in Sword, and got my Shiny Mimikyu :D

how do you 'hunt' for shinnies in Pokemon Sword/Shield?

versusreality
03-08-2020, 03:55 PM
besides the above listed Switch games arriving today, I picked up New Super Luckys Tale when I was out today. can't wait to play this one!

Haysey_Draws
03-09-2020, 03:22 AM
how do you 'hunt' for shinnies in Pokemon Sword/Shield?

In sword and shield they changed things up for hunting shiny's. First every time you beat a specific pokemon, so lets say for arguments sake Ralts, every time to beat a Ralts the game tracks it. After you beat it a few hundred times it increases the likelihood of a shiny Ralts appearing.
Then you have the shiny charm, which you get from a guy in the Circhester hotel when you have completed your pokedex. This further increases the chance of a shiny appearing. Then you have 'egg hunting', which is my method, where you place a male and female pokemon, but make sure one is from a different region to the other, so 2 Ralts but ones from your game and the other your traded from someone in Japan, and leave them in the day care and make them pop eggs. The chance of a shiny is the best for me, 1/512.

allegate
03-12-2020, 09:58 AM
How is there not already a LEGO thread?

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1238087348992253960

versusreality
03-14-2020, 03:30 PM
New Super Lucky's Tale is a fun game, reminding me of PS1 era platformers but much more exciting. one level is an open world level, the next a 2d platformer, the next a puzzle level etc.

here's what came yesterday:
Aragami (stealth game...kinda like Tenchu or MGS)
Yooka-Laylee: The Impossible Lair (people who made Donkey Kong Country for SNES worked on this)
Vampyr (started playing this and it's awesome)
Astral Chain (really excited for this one!)

I've been hooked on Mario Maker 2. Haven't even designed a level yet- just doing story mode and challenge mode. so much fun.

allegate
03-17-2020, 10:00 AM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1239913846799622145

seems reasonable enough.

allegate
03-20-2020, 04:22 PM
https://twitter.com/tj99er/status/1240954813971484672

Fuck Corona, I'm buying a switch.

also!

https://twitter.com/MarinoV1/status/1241114289076940806

versusreality
03-21-2020, 11:30 AM
some recent pickups:
-New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe (fun, but actually challenging too)
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Legend of Zelda- Link's Awakening (looking forward to this...bought a Game Boy color back in 98 to play the original version)
-Animal Crossing
-Smash Bros

some digital downloads:
Valkyria Chronicles 4 DLC (the first game I got on the switch when I got it back in Nov was Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it's what hooked me in)
The Mummy Demastered (holy crap, this game's the closest to Castlevania SOTN that we're getting on the switch)
Shantae Half Genie/Half Hero Ultimate edition
Monster Boy
Castlevania Collection
Ori and the Blind Forest
Trials of Mana (demo)

allegate
03-26-2020, 10:20 AM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1243177015487823877

burnout paradise on the go? fuck yeah man.

versusreality
03-26-2020, 10:32 AM
some other recent pickups:
-Doom 64
-Yoshi's Crafted World
-Dragon's Dogma
-Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 1
-Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2
-Dragon Quest Builders 2
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

here's the latest Direct (mini) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRf4zyEvG4

not much that I'm interested in here besides Burnout.

versusreality
04-01-2020, 06:03 AM
ordered a few more games:
Saints Row IV
NBA 2K20
Metro Redux
Red Fraction
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection
Mortal Kombat 11

looking forward to all of them. Haven't played a MK game since 3 or 4. Loved Assassin's Creed 1 but haven't played any others. I miss basketball so the game will do, haven't played a 2K game in over a decade. Haven't played any of the other titles.
I THINK I'm good with buying for now. Trials of Mana is a maybe but I'll probably wait for a sale down the line.

eversonpoe
04-01-2020, 10:53 AM
ordered a few more games:
Saints Row IV
NBA 2K20
Metro Redux
Red Fraction
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection
Mortal Kombat 11

looking forward to all of them. Haven't played a MK game since 3 or 4. Loved Assassin's Creed 1 but haven't played any others. I miss basketball so the game will do, haven't played a 2K game in over a decade. Haven't played any of the other titles.
I THINK I'm good with buying for now. Trials of Mana is a maybe but I'll probably wait for a sale down the line.

not trying to be rude, serious question: how do you have so much money to buy so many games in such quick succession??? i'm super jealous!

versusreality
04-01-2020, 12:53 PM
not trying to be rude, serious question: how do you have so much money to buy so many games in such quick succession??? i'm super jealous!
for one, I never buy anything at full price. If I see it for $10 or $20 off, I'll get it. sometimes, 50% off. I finally got a full time job with benefits this year, have no kids and live a pretty simple life. I know I'm not spending money for a vacation this year, or any other thing I had planned really. I wanted to get everything I wanted out of the way, this way I'm not buying anymore games for the year, unless something comes out that I want (and I'd wait for a sale) . now that the games are out the way, I can focus on the next thing....continuing to pay off my cards, which will take a few months.

RJK
04-01-2020, 09:12 PM
not trying to be rude, serious question: how do you have so much money to buy so many games in such quick succession??? i'm super jealous!Cheap Ass Gamer is also a great resource. Either on Twitter or their website.

allegate
04-01-2020, 11:29 PM
also you should 100% follow Wario64 (https://twitter.com/Wario64) on twitter. almost everything he posts are game deals and to a lesser extent game news.

NotoriousTIMP
04-03-2020, 06:27 AM
This game is just too much fun!

https://i.imgur.com/FhB5l5e.jpg

Sarah K
04-04-2020, 02:42 PM
I just bought a Switch Lite bundle that should hopefully be here sometime next week (according to the website, but not so sure about that).

Anyway, what are the pros and cons re: physical games vs. downloadable ones? While physical games seem like a pain in the ass to keep track of and take up space, I've had SD cards in the past fail, so then what? Are you just fucked out of everything you had stored on it, or does it allow you to download it again, and what happens to you progress if so?

I haven't had a game system in I don't even know how long. Animal Crossing makes me do dumb things.

versusreality
04-04-2020, 04:46 PM
welcome to the Switch Lite club Sarah. I love mine. I collect physically, but also do some downloads (especially if they were never phsically released) . Games are my last physical media that I really buy. I like it because I can let my gf borrow games when she wants (can't do that digital) .

You'll definitely need a SD card, one with a lot of space. I suggest Sandisk. The annoying thing these days with games (I too was out of the game loop for a while) is that you can buy a game and then STILL have to download a lot of data/updates from it. Sometimes the downloads can take a while, like an hour or so. One thing I recommend to avoid worrying about data (note: you'll still need an SD card) is the Nintendo Cloud service. I pay a few bucks a month and it saves all my data to the cloud and I can say, delete a game to free up space, redownload it at a later time, and my saves will still be there. Also, it is helpful if you eventually have a 2nd Lite or Switch (I have a docked Switch as my secondary one) , you can redownload the stuff there as well.

Enjoy!!

eversonpoe
04-05-2020, 10:35 AM
welcome to the Switch Lite club Sarah. I love mine. I collect physically, but also do some downloads (especially if they were never phsically released) . Games are my last physical media that I really buy. I like it because I can let my gf borrow games when she wants (can't do that digital) .

You'll definitely need a SD card, one with a lot of space. I suggest Sandisk. The annoying thing these days with games (I too was out of the game loop for a while) is that you can buy a game and then STILL have to download a lot of data/updates from it. Sometimes the downloads can take a while, like an hour or so. One thing I recommend to avoid worrying about data (note: you'll still need an SD card) is the Nintendo Cloud service. I pay a few bucks a month and it saves all my data to the cloud and I can say, delete a game to free up space, redownload it at a later time, and my saves will still be there. Also, it is helpful if you eventually have a 2nd Lite or Switch (I have a docked Switch as my secondary one) , you can redownload the stuff there as well.

Enjoy!!

my switch is, for some reason, so slow on my network with downloads, despite being about 10 feet from my router. it took me 4 hours to download an UPDATE for mortal kombat 11 the other day, and it literally wouldn't let me play without downloading the update. i was so sad.

Space Suicide
04-05-2020, 10:53 PM
I just bought a Switch Lite bundle that should hopefully be here sometime next week (according to the website, but not so sure about that).

Anyway, what are the pros and cons re: physical games vs. downloadable ones? While physical games seem like a pain in the ass to keep track of and take up space, I've had SD cards in the past fail, so then what? Are you just fucked out of everything you had stored on it, or does it allow you to download it again, and what happens to you progress if so?

I haven't had a game system in I don't even know how long. Animal Crossing makes me do dumb things.

No difference. I prefer to own physical copies for most games because you are paying $60.00+ for a tangible product you actually OWN. Digital you download files and licenses, that's it. These days games activate those licenses on disc/cartridge but at least you have the product/case/physical media as part of your purchase.

Digital is great for storage and convenience and I do buy digital for the amazing sales or if I don't HAVE to own a physical copy.

versusreality
04-06-2020, 05:58 AM
Good points, although I find that Amazon tends to have great deals on physical copies all the time. For instance there was a flash sale for Super Mario Odyseey for $30, meanwhile that game has never gone on sale in the eshop to my knowledge.

ManBurning
04-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Well, some sad news. The voice actor of Peppy hare and Andross from Starfox 64 has passed away from COVID-19..

https://nintendoeverything.com/rick-may-the-voice-actor-of-star-fox-64s-peppy-hare-and-andross-passes-away-due-to-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2W4Wue3XfJWqHyRXNbIALJuXBHDBcWWZYMVOmr 8zWqJdT1f0hWTgrW_tI

Let's celebrate with this, do a barrel roll for him everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkJvY96i8w

eversonpoe
04-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Well, some sad news. The voice actor of Peppy hare and Andross from Starfox 64 has passed away from COVID-19..

https://nintendoeverything.com/rick-may-the-voice-actor-of-star-fox-64s-peppy-hare-and-andross-passes-away-due-to-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2W4Wue3XfJWqHyRXNbIALJuXBHDBcWWZYMVOmr 8zWqJdT1f0hWTgrW_tI

Let's celebrate with this, do a barrel roll for him everyone!

:: does a sad barrel roll ::

versusreality
04-13-2020, 07:14 PM
bummer news

halo eighteen
04-16-2020, 07:48 AM
Several of the games included in the recent Double Dragon/Kunio-kun digital collection are coming out today on the eShop individually for $4.99 (Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones, Crash'n the Boys Street Challenge, Renegade, River City Ransom, and Super Dodge Ball).

This is significant if only for it being the first time that standalone NES games are available to purchase on the Switch.

eversonpoe
04-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Several of the games included in the recent Double Dragon/Kunio-kun digital collection are coming out today on the eShop individually for $4.99 (Double Dragon, Double Dragon II: The Revenge, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones, Crash'n the Boys Street Challenge, Renegade, River City Ransom, and Super Dodge Ball).

This is significant if only for it being the first time that standalone NES games are available to purchase on the Switch.

river city ransom & super dodgeball are in the NES online library, aren't they?

halo eighteen
04-16-2020, 10:09 AM
river city ransom & super dodgeball are in the NES online library, aren't they?

Yup, and Double Dragon II.

Kodiak33
04-17-2020, 09:40 AM
These are NES versions and not arcade? I think this is the only time where the NES versions were better than the arcade.

halo eighteen
04-17-2020, 10:11 AM
These are NES versions and not arcade? I think this is the only time where the NES versions were better than the arcade.

Yup! And very much agree on that, but I think both Contra and Super C(ontra) NES are also superior to the arcade versions.

ManBurning
04-21-2020, 01:43 AM
crazy insane updates coming on Wednesday to Mario Maker 2.
Including the ability to make a whole world now! Create an overview world and put all our levels in it. Game changing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABeP5oGygM&t=0s

allegate
04-23-2020, 03:29 PM
https://twitter.com/CornellDyson/status/1253398556481896450

pretty interesting talk. though the phrasing of the tweet made me think that it was from 83 and then he talked about the Wii and I had a second or two before I realized he graduated in 83. duh.

allegate
05-08-2020, 11:49 AM
not so much about Nintendo but it's, uh...switch related?

https://twitter.com/BirdRespecter/status/1258096381375348736

allegate
05-14-2020, 11:30 AM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1260918237392322560

halo eighteen
05-14-2020, 11:41 AM
That last bit!!! Those bastards hahaha

jk this looks sweet af

eversonpoe
05-14-2020, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1260918237392322560

as long as the combat system is like the one in Super Paper Mario. i can't deal with the way they did it in sticker star & color splash.

Space Suicide
05-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Loved and beat the N64 game many times. Hope this is like that!

allegate
05-28-2020, 03:12 PM
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1265868751213170688

Space Suicide
05-31-2020, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3yAMSwOXUo

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e2f3120613ddcf05a955f342c0c7fca7/tenor.gif?itemid=6132013

ManBurning
05-31-2020, 07:41 PM
Since the final Mario Maker 2 update, I have been working day and night, sometimes up until 5am to try and make a super world to unleash on the world.
I am pleased to announce, after 1.5 months, I have finally completed a 38 course super world spread out over 8 themed worlds.
The levels start off easy and increase in difficulty as the game goes on.

If anyone is interested here is the code and some screen shots.

WORLD ID: QWB-QW0-0JF

https://i.imgur.com/i8gsGpG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PPh61pR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tXnYKzI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xk1yHsF.jpg

halo eighteen
06-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Dude. ManBurning You can bet your ass I'll be playing the fuck out of that.

ManBurning
06-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Dude. ManBurning You can bet your ass I'll be playing the fuck out of that.

Awesome! Let me know what you think.

The first few worlds are a walk in the park, but make no mistake, the difficulty does ramp up half way through the game!

Enjoy!

halo eighteen
06-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Lol I'm at the airship level in world 3 and I think you and I have some vastly differing ideas of the word easy lmao. I'm also playing on the stupid joycons though, so I'm at a disadvantage. Having a ton of fun though! Gotta call it a night sadly. Damn 3am alarm.

halo eighteen
06-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Awesome! Let me know what you think.

The first few worlds are a walk in the park, but make no mistake, the difficulty does ramp up half way through the game!

Enjoy!

Okay, what's the trick to the Magic Bullet level? I can't figure this one out at all ha. Specifically during the second big bullet after the checkpoint.

ManBurning
06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Lol I'm at the airship level in world 3 and I think you and I have some vastly differing ideas of the word easy lmao. I'm also playing on the stupid joycons though, so I'm at a disadvantage. Having a ton of fun though! Gotta call it a night sadly. Damn 3am alarm.

Damn, Playing mario on joycons!? Brutal. lol. Kudos to you to making it as far as you did with joycons!

Okay, what's the trick to the Magic Bullet level? I can't figure this one out at all ha. Specifically during the second big bullet after the checkpoint.

2nd bullet after the checkpoint? So, you ride the first bullet until you see the red bomb, and let the bomb explode and destroy the first bullet (you don't need him) and jump up to catch the 2nd bullet.
After you caught the 2nd bullet, you need to pick him up and fall when you reach the spike wall. You will fall on a moving platform. you need to time your throw with the bullet where the para beetles are falling out of the pipe in the sky to a new section where you are dodging fire bars while riding the bullet thru spikes.

After that, you need to navigate thru a bunch of flying beetles and a couple skewers. It's best to leave the bullet behind at this point and RUSH by jumping on the beetles before the skewers come down. Wait on the red moving platform for the bullet to catch up, and time for the hardest trick in the whole level...

You need to perfectly time the throw of the bullet while you fall so it lines up with a pipe you need to enter to get out of the level. The 10-coin is an indicator on when then bullet should be thrown.

Hope that helps. This level was a bitch to complete/upload, lol.
I think I ramped the difficulty up too soon. But it gets toned down a bit in world 6.

So far, you're the only person to get into world 5 of my super world. Everyone else is stuck on either 4-1 or 4-2. You were the first to figure out how to pass the mole level, which people seem to be having trouble with.
Which path did you pick for the world 4 castle when you beat the level with 0 seconds on the clock? lol.

EDIT: Eventually, I am thinking of doing a playthrough of my world to upload to YouTube, but I need to get a capture card first to be able to record game footage from the switch.

halo eighteen
06-03-2020, 06:25 PM
Dude.. I think you got me on this damn bullet level. Even with you telling me how to do it, I can't consistently even get passed the fire bars, let alone the shit that comes afterwards lol.

The mole level was pretty brutal lmao. Not surprising others are getting hung up there. I don't remember which paths I chose for world 4 castle. I know I did the top to flip the switch, then I took whatever you have to use the cranes to flip yourself up a long chasm and then those annoying cannons. I had to do a last chance suicide leap off Yoshi to make it work once I realized I was running out of time. I got to the boss with like 18 seconds left and managed to beat him (as small Mario, no less) and grab the key and get to the door with 2 seconds left. By the time I grabbed the axe it literally had 000 on the timer. I'm not sure beating any Mario level has ever felt so rewarding as that one!

Edit: good lord you're an evil, evil man but I finally did it. And yes I'm still using the joy cons with the grip.

ManBurning
06-04-2020, 04:12 AM
Dude.. I think you got me on this damn bullet level. Even with you telling me how to do it, I can't consistently even get passed the fire bars, let alone the shit that comes afterwards lol.

The mole level was pretty brutal lmao. Not surprising others are getting hung up there. I don't remember which paths I chose for world 4 castle. I know I did the top to flip the switch, then I took whatever you have to use the cranes to flip yourself up a long chasm and then those annoying cannons. I had to do a last chance suicide leap off Yoshi to make it work once I realized I was running out of time. I got to the boss with like 18 seconds left and managed to beat him (as small Mario, no less) and grab the key and get to the door with 2 seconds left. By the time I grabbed the axe it literally had 000 on the timer. I'm not sure beating any Mario level has ever felt so rewarding as that one!

Edit: good lord you're an evil, evil man but I finally did it. And yes I'm still using the joy cons with the grip.

I saw you had finally gotten past the bullet level on my notifications in the game. I was like "Yay! He actually did it!" lol.
I feel bad for my friend who started up my world tonight. He claims "I underestimate" his Mario skills... lol... I don't think he's gonna beat it, lol.
Clearing that one was a bit of a bitch too. But there are actually 2 levels worse than that, if you can imagine. 7-4 and 8-2. It's a 3-way tie for which of those 3 are the worst of the bunch.
Guess I'll let you decide for yourself. After that bullet level, what could possibly be worse? lol.

And once again, playing with the joy cons and grip... You have some mad skillz taking these levels on with that configuration. Good job.

I'm working on someone's really tough world myself as we speak, and it does feel INCREDIBLY rewarding when you FINALLY beat a level you have been going at forever.

eversonpoe
06-04-2020, 09:30 AM
honestly, if i run into a level in a world that i can't get past in 10 tries, i just stop. it becomes frustrating and not satisfying for me anymore.

unless it's a puzzle-solving level, which are my favorites. i'll play those til i'm blue in the face.

halo eighteen
06-04-2020, 10:13 AM
honestly, if i run into a level in a world that i can't get past in 10 tries, i just stop. it becomes frustrating and not satisfying for me anymore.

unless it's a puzzle-solving level, which are my favorites. i'll play those til i'm blue in the face.

I'm kind of the same way these days, but that level up above turned into sort of a personal vendetta for me that I *had* to finish. I think my official time on it was 20 minutes, but that probably doesn't include the dozens of attempts I made the previous day. It's fascinating to me how some people have such a creative (or twisted) mind to make such hellish, yet beatable, levels.

ManBurning
06-04-2020, 04:23 PM
I'm kind of the same way these days, but that level up above turned into sort of a personal vendetta for me that I *had* to finish. I think my official time on it was 20 minutes, but that probably doesn't include the dozens of attempts I made the previous day. It's fascinating to me how some people have such a creative (or twisted) mind to make such hellish, yet beatable, levels.

Yeah, I usually know my limits when it comes to what I can/cannot beat. There are just certain levels you KNOW you can beat, just takes time. Then there are levels that you know aren't even worth your time, give em 1 or 2 attempts and you know it's out of your skill level. It's those levels in the middle. The ones that just are slightly above your skill level, but you don't want to admit defeat, cuz you KNOW you can get it. Those are the levels that make you feel good when you finally beat them. You get that sense of satisfaction that you did something you thought was impossible.

I'm actually the opposite with this. I can't stand the puzzle levels. I'm not smart enough to figure 'em out half the time, lol.
I'd rather just suffer with a technical/precise spike/jumping/platform level than deal with a 1-room puzzle type thing that requires multiple steps and 1 wrong move, you need to reset the whole thing.
Kudos to people that can make that kinda stuff work though. Not gonna lie, some of those puzzle levels are very well put together.

halo eighteen
06-05-2020, 06:47 AM
I lost my patience with the go kart level in 7-1 last night haha. I feel like these last 9 or so levels are gonna be pretty tough to get through ;)

ManBurning
06-05-2020, 03:27 PM
I lost my patience with the go kart level in 7-1 last night haha. I feel like these last 9 or so levels are gonna be pretty tough to get through ;)

Haha, well you made it pretty damn far as far as I am concerned.
7-2 isn't too bad. It's a weird swimming castle/upside down level
7-3 though, yeah... I did a world share with a guy on reddit, and he said that was even harder than the bullet level for him. You're jumping off flying beetles with a cape avoiding stuff in the air. Whole level is a bottomless pit, you make 1 wrong move you fall to your death.
7-4 airship isn't too bad.

As for World 8?
4 levels there.

8-1 is a 1 room challenge. You get 4 powerups to try kill 20 flaming cheep cheeps jumping at you.
8-2 I thought was my hardest level at first. I ranked it a 10/10 on the difficulty scale. But people seem to be struggling more on the bullet on 7-3 levels. I think it's still a very hard level though. remember Battletoads turbo tunnel? It's pretty much a homage to that. 4 different sections moving in vehicles (dry bones shell, koopa clown cars) dodging stuff.
8-3 is a Mega Man style boss rush with all 8 koopa kids again
8-4 is the Bowser fight.

Funny, the guy on reddit had 99 lives when he entered world 7 and he came out with 24, lol. He struggled on the kart level too for some reason. Are you stuck at the timing of the jump after the moving conveyor belts?
If you count to 2 the second you fall on the speed ramp and hit the jump button the second you say "2" you'll get the jump every time.

halo eighteen
06-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Haha, well you made it pretty damn far as far as I am concerned.

Thanks! Lol. I've made more progress and am on 8-2 now. I can't seem to get around the two spinning razor wheels in the dry Koopa shell :( And I know the level hasn't even gotten crazy yet at that point lmao

That's funny about that guy's life count going down so much. I was padding it out by pausing and starting over if I knew it was a hopeless attempt.

7-3 wasn't too bad. At least I knew the objective and just needed the skill part down. Magic Bullet I was legitimately stumped haha

fwiw I loved battletoads and the turbo tunnels :D

*edit: okay, on the last level and seemingly can't find a key in the long vertical chasm with the lava filing up. :/

*dbl edit: Finally finished and well done! That was pretty clever, I must say!

ManBurning
06-07-2020, 01:15 AM
Thanks! Lol. I've made more progress and am on 8-2 now. I can't seem to get around the two spinning razor wheels in the dry Koopa shell :( And I know the level hasn't even gotten crazy yet at that point lmao

That's funny about that guy's life count going down so much. I was padding it out by pausing and starting over if I knew it was a hopeless attempt.

7-3 wasn't too bad. At least I knew the objective and just needed the skill part down. Magic Bullet I was legitimately stumped haha

fwiw I loved battletoads and the turbo tunnels :D

*edit: okay, on the last level and seemingly can't find a key in the long vertical chasm with the lava filing up. :/

*dbl edit: Finally finished and well done! That was pretty clever, I must say!

Good job! You're the first person to have beaten the world start to finish.
I see you claimed a lot of world records on the later/harder stages there.
You took the world record for 7-3 at 14 minutes, lol.

You also really, really took the record from the last guy to beat my final level.
His world record time was a whopping 25 minutes!
Once you figured out the trick with the key at the end, you totally went back to claim the world record on the level didn't you? lol.

Either way, thanks for suffering through... err.... playing my world! haha.

halo eighteen
06-07-2020, 09:31 AM
Good job! You're the first person to have beaten the world start to finish.
I see you claimed a lot of world records on the later/harder stages there.
You took the world record for 7-3 at 14 minutes, lol.

You also really, really took the record from the last guy to beat my final level.
His world record time was a whopping 25 minutes!
Once you figured out the trick with the key at the end, you totally went back to claim the world record on the level didn't you? lol.

Either way, thanks for suffering through... err.... playing my world! haha.

LOL yeah, when I finally figured it out I had clocked in at something around 20-ish minutes and saw I had the record with even that, so I was like "I can totally do better than that!" heh. Thanks for giving me something to do this week, man!! <3

Also, the Mega Man touch in 8-3 was astonishing haha. Easily my favorite game franchise ever (think my Coachella board avatar is still a MM sprite). I laughed at myself because I didn't initially see the power ups at the bottom and seriously thought that I was gonna have to beat all of them as small Mario. Glad you weren't that much of a sadist. :P

ManBurning
06-07-2020, 03:31 PM
LOL yeah, when I finally figured it out I had clocked in at something around 20-ish minutes and saw I had the record with even that, so I was like "I can totally do better than that!" heh. Thanks for giving me something to do this week, man!! <3

Also, the Mega Man touch in 8-3 was astonishing haha. Easily my favorite game franchise ever (think my Coachella board avatar is still a MM sprite). I laughed at myself because I didn't initially see the power ups at the bottom and seriously thought that I was gonna have to beat all of them as small Mario. Glad you weren't that much of a sadist. :P

Yeah, I originally wanted to have all 8 pipes in that "Mega Man" type stage, but Mario maker has a limit on how many warp pipes you can use per level at only 4, so I had to double up the bosses in each pipe.
I also originally had a checkpoint in that room too, so you could beat a couple pipes, save and keep your progress. But I realized the level was waaaay too easy then, especially for a level that was supposed to be the second to last level. So I scrapped the checkpoint.

Glad I gave you something to do and you had fun with my world this week, haha. I spent a little over a month making it. It got to the point where I was starting to run out of ideas too and felt maybe I went a bit too over my head in trying to make a full 38 course world. I wanted to make the levels as themed as I could. I see a lot of worlds out there that are just rubbish levels thrown together. like "running to the flag pole 100% clear rate" levels or levels that throw everything and the kitchen sink at you all at once. Those aren't fun.

I wanted to try and make the difficulty progressive. But I feel I may have ramped up the difficulty too soon with that magic bullet level, lol.
Fun fact: I actually had to tone down the difficulty of that level so I could beat it, lol. Originally it was a LOT harder. The skewer section near the end was heavily altered to include more beetles and platforms to stand on. It was a lot harder before, too hard for a world 5 course.

But it's fun watching people try and beat them and see where they die and stuff. Once you upload a level, it gives you the option to go in as the maker and see where all the deaths are. It's really fun going into the levels and seeing where people are dying.

For example, my very first level, which I would consider a level for babies... only has a 57% clear rate... I think 72 people played it and only 40 beat it... And you look at the deaths and you scratch your head. Like, how are people dying on this level?

Haysey_Draws
06-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Don't know how many Pokemon fans are here but...THEY FINALLY ANNOUNCED A NEW POKEMON SNAP GAME ALL IS NOT LOST!!!!!!!

allegate
06-17-2020, 10:25 AM
and it's literally called "New Pokemon Snap" so Nintendo rocks at naming things.

eversonpoe
06-26-2020, 10:03 AM
https://www.nintendo.com/content/dam/noa/en_US/games/switch/s/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch-hero.jpg

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/ (https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/)

fuck yeah. my n64 copy has some issues (i think because i bought an off-brand expansion pack a few years ago after i realized my friend had stolen my original one back in high school...but at least he put the original memory pack back in the system) so this is awesome. and the fact that it's only $15 is really nice.

jmtd
07-02-2020, 02:13 AM
Is the game any good?

It’s interesting to compare how we respond to the graphics today, with another old (older) game, virtua racing. In my opinion, virtua racing looks really nice today, a kind of authentic retro feel. and it’s damn good fun to play and worth every penny. Pod racer just looks clunky.

eversonpoe
07-02-2020, 12:08 PM
Is the game any good?

It’s interesting to compare how we respond to the graphics today, with another old (older) game, virtua racing. In my opinion, virtua racing looks really nice today, a kind of authentic retro feel. and it’s damn good fun to play and worth every penny. Pod racer just looks clunky.

i mean, yeah, it looks a little clunky. but it's really fun. the sound designer (jeff kliment) was one of the only teachers at flashpoint (where i got my useless degree in sound design for games) who actually taught me anything worthwhile. he worked on a lot of lucasarts games (including the entire monkey island series) and his work is top notch.

the game might not have the same value for you if you didn't play it as a kid, though. and it's HARD.

Tom
07-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Moving this discussion here so as not to get too off-topic in covid coping thread...

I've read this several times and even slept on it and it's still not making sense to me. Are you sure you're not talking about a Wii? Because the Wii U will not play GC games without emulation, and the controller thing makes even less sense.I have a Wii U that I keep meaning to mod to play GC games but I'm also afraid of bricking it - even though it's supposed to be really frickin' easy - so it hasn't changed.

yeah, as far as i know, the Wii will play gamecube games natively & has the controller ports to support it (which is how i played gamecube games for a long time after getting a Wii). but the WiiU doesn't work with gamecube controllers without the outboard gamecube to dual USB adapter, and even then, only for smash bros. it also doesn't have a disc-loading mechanism to detect the smaller discs, so i don't know how it would bring them in and mount them the way the Wii is able to do..

The WiiU's vWii mode isn't just a matter of running the Wii's OS on the WiiU's hardware - the WiiU contains a separate Wii GPU that gets engaged in vWii mode - like a mini Wii. And so insofar as the Wii can play GC games, the WiiU can too (in vWii mode) without emulation. All you need to do is install the Homebrew channel to your vWii, copy Nintendont (https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/) to an SD card along with your game backups, and you're good to go. Nintendont will detect Gamecube controllers connected via the Smash adapter (but will also work with most other wireless controllers). The games can be run in 16:9, and can be also customised with other little visual and gameplay enhancements (like turning off the horrible distance blur in Wind Waker). The results are significantly better than it's possible to get playing GC games on the Wii, even with the component cable. And if you do have a Wii you can use it to extract all your old saves from the GC memory card and transfer them over to the WiiU.

Definitely don't sell the WiiU! It's pretty close to the all-in-one pre-Switch Nintendo machine.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Me being a purest, I plunked down the money to get the GC component cables to run the original hardware for my streams. After testing a monster s-cable, av through a framemeister AND the GCHD Mk II, and nothing compares to the official cables. Hooking the GC straight up to the TV is the best bet unless you want some scanlines that some retro players prefer through a framemeister. If you don't wanna burn a hole in your pocket, the GCHD MKII has some more bells and whistles to it, but it is your best bet if you cannot afford the overpriced/rare official cables.

You will need a a model 1 GC since the later models do not have the digital out port.

Orrr you can just buy the component cables for the Wii and play your GC games on that, but I cannot bring myself to use it.

Tom
07-11-2020, 03:55 AM
I probably will pick up the component cable at some point, but more as a collectors' item. I had been planning to mod my GC with an HDMI output, but once I saw what was possible with the WiiU I just went with that. I do still run my GC though - I have it softmodded with Swiss (https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss) and like to keep up with developments there.

eversonpoe
07-11-2020, 02:14 PM
The WiiU's vWii mode isn't just a matter of running the Wii's OS on the WiiU's hardware - the WiiU contains a separate Wii GPU that gets engaged in vWii mode - like a mini Wii. And so insofar as the Wii can play GC games, the WiiU can too (in vWii mode) without emulation. All you need to do is install the Homebrew channel to your vWii, copy Nintendont (https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/) to an SD card along with your game backups, and you're good to go. Nintendont will detect Gamecube controllers connected via the Smash adapter (but will also work with most other wireless controllers). The games can be run in 16:9, and can be also customised with other little visual and gameplay enhancements (like turning off the horrible distance blur in Wind Waker). The results are significantly better than it's possible to get playing GC games on the Wii, even with the component cable. And if you do have a Wii you can use it to extract all your old saves from the GC memory card and transfer them over to the WiiU.

Definitely don't sell the WiiU! It's pretty close to the all-in-one pre-Switch Nintendo machine.

interesting! thanks for all that info. will definitely look into doing this. is it easy enough to extract the save data and move it to an SD card?

Tom
07-11-2020, 04:38 PM
interesting! thanks for all that info. will definitely look into doing this. is it easy enough to extract the save data and move it to an SD card?
There are quite a few steps but they're all pretty straightforward. You need to have the Homebrew channel installed on your Wii (I think the Brawl exploit (https://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack) is the simplest method), then use GCMM (https://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM) to extract the save files and write them to an SD card. The files then need to be converted to a different format (gci > raw) to work with Nintendont - this can be done with Dolphin - then you're all set. I also had to manually edit mine to switch them over from the PAL versions of the games to the NTSC versions, but you shouldn't have this problem. It was well worth the effort to preserve mine and my brothers Double Dash records!

Oh, on your Wavebird issue: Definitely open it up and give it a good clean. If this doesn't help, you could try replacing the stickbox. This is fixed to the main PCB by a couple of small screws, so no desoldering required. You can use a donor stickbox from any of your other GC controllers to test. If it works, and you don't want to sacrifice one of your other controllers, a nice option is to pick up a secondhand Wii Classic Controller Pro (which uses exactly the same stickboxes) and use the box from the right stick, since these tend to be only lightly used (if at all).

Space Suicide
07-19-2020, 05:14 PM
After doing a few days of absence on Animal Crossing: New Horizons I logged on today to found one of my initial villagers, Egbert, wanted to leave. I released him into the wild. Jumped a few days ahead and did some villager hunting while on island tours.

I ended up finding Zucker and immediately asked him to stay. Now I need to make his yard all super kawaii. I'll probably do it as a project tonight.

Now I am hoping for Felicity to move out. I'd love a frog or koala to replace her. I'll take an elephant or a gorilla based on their looks.

allegate
07-20-2020, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/JimGioo/status/1285076732970766336

oh no.

halo eighteen
07-20-2020, 10:29 AM
Glad I've been holding off on Cadence of Hyrule this whole time!

allegate
07-28-2020, 04:37 PM
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1288107160971300875