View Full Version : Coachella 2019 or Most Festivals Suck Now

DVYDRNS
01-03-2019, 01:22 AM
lol... seriously?

Complete Garbage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dv9asadUcAAxhIP.jpg:large

bobbie solo
01-03-2019, 02:56 AM
as usual these days, there's a good mix of electronic artists & dancey DJ's (Aphex Twin is the most interesting get on the whole bill), a tiny bit of good bands (Turnstile, Turnover, Hop Along, Razorbumps, Tame Impala) & a sliver of quality hip hop (Pusha, Khalid, Cudi, Danny Glover, Anderson Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaak). Worth going to one or two days if you live in the area and the weather is good one of the weekends.

It still being the preeminent nat'l festival (but with buzz extending internationally too) is so puzzling. I think alot of it has more to do with it being the first one of the year, Golden Voice's massive PR push, the location and the longevity. Music lovers should not be planning their lives around seeing Ariana Grande & Jaden Smith in the middle of the desert with a bunch of rapey shirtless frat bros & braindead freshman college girls in Native American head dresses.

Krazy
01-03-2019, 05:02 AM
Good to know that deep dish pizza will be served on the 13th and 20th.

That is one historically BAD lineup. Holy shit.

Kodiak33
01-03-2019, 06:57 AM
It is very bad. I had a blast at the Coachella that I went to (2015), but the lineup was amazing.

https://static.stereogum.com/uploads/2015/01/Coachella-2015-640x853.jpg

halo eighteen
01-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Good to know that deep dish pizza will be served on the 13th and 20th.

That is one historically BAD lineup. Holy shit.

I can confirm there will be no deep dish pizza at Coachella; it's all about the Spicy Pie lol

Lerxto
01-03-2019, 08:03 AM
https://i1.wp.com/hypebeast.com/image/2017/01/2008.jpg

And to think this happened 10 years ago. Anyone can sense a drastic drop in quality. Music, in general, has become much shitty.

halo eighteen
01-03-2019, 08:11 AM
^I've been to nine Coachellas since 2004; 2008 was hands down my favorite year despite a bit of turmoil in my personal life at the time. It's incredibly sad to have watched the quality of this plummet. I want to go a 10th time and put a cap on it, but I just can't with the lineups the way they are. Having to dig for the worthwhile acts is becoming less and less fun or rewarding. I'm trying to at least have a tragic chuckle out of this, but it's hard heh.

richardp
01-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Wooow, worst lineup. I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.

Kodiak33
01-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Wooow, worst lineup. I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.

Yeah, JT and Kanye bailing really fucked them up. Looks like they just moved everyone up.

neorev
01-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Portishead
Aphex Twin
Justice
Kraftwerk
The Breeders
Modeselektor
Fatboy Slim
Modeselektor
Animal Collective
Pendulum
Simian Mobile Disco
Battles
Autolux
Aesop Rock
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Spank Rock
Boys Noize
Junkie XL
Busy P
MGMT

Looks like a nice line up to me

cahernandez
01-03-2019, 11:01 AM
That is a terrible lineup. Two Reggaeton artists (J Balvin and Bad Bunny) as headliners. I think this is a sign of the apocalypse.

Kodiak33
01-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Portishead
Aphex Twin
Justice
Kraftwerk
The Breeders
Modeselektor
Fatboy Slim
Modeselektor
Animal Collective
Pendulum
Simian Mobile Disco
Battles
Autolux
Aesop Rock
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Spank Rock
Boys Noize
Junkie XL
Busy P
MGMT

Looks like a nice line up to me

You're not talking about 2019 right? :D

Jinsai
01-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Hahahahaha! Childish Gambino is headlining a night?! What the fuck?!?!

well... Aphex Twin is there and maybe that’s enough for me...

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
01-03-2019, 11:43 AM
I dont know whats worse, the hipster electronic shit hop Coachella lineup aimed at Hollywood posers or the geezers of metal lineup at Hellfest. Take a look at that lineup, it looks like a metal fest from 1978. Kiss? ZZ Top? Def Leppard? Whitesnake? Lynrd Skynrd? Is AARP sponsoring that festival? Then you throw on top of that colossal shit like Sum 41, Stone Temple Pilots, and Slash...What a shitshow

Jinsai
01-03-2019, 11:56 AM
This article accidentally sums up what sucks about this spectacle masquerading as a “concert” pretty succinctly
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.toofab.com/2019/01/03/coachella-2019-lineup-twitter-ariana-grande-idris-elba-blackpink-burna-boy/

I’m too old to sit through something that sounds this annoying. Have a blast toddlers. Your favorite “band” sucks but I’m sure their light show is expensive

ManBurning
01-03-2019, 03:17 PM
I dont know whats worse, the hipster electronic shit hop Coachella lineup aimed at Hollywood posers or the geezers of metal lineup at Hellfest. Take a look at that lineup, it looks like a metal fest from 1978. Kiss? ZZ Top? Def Leppard? Whitesnake? Lynrd Skynrd? Is AARP sponsoring that festival? Then you throw on top of that colossal shit like Sum 41, Stone Temple Pilots, and Slash...What a shitshow

I 100% agree with this. Both festivals are really bad this year. At least there are plenty of other decent bands on the Hellfest bill on the undercard, if you put aside all the "dinosaur rock" it's still an OK bill (Not that I would travel for it, but if I lived in France I would go) But Coachella is a whole new level of terrible.

Coachella use to be the festival that everyone wanted to go to. The one all other festivals looked up to and wanted to be like. Coachella used to set the bar high.
It used to kick off festival season announcements. Nowadays, all year round is "festival season announcement time" 2019 summer festival announcements already stated to come in as early as October of last year, in some cases... some festivals announce the next year and tease a few headliners the DAY AFTER the festival is over.

The Festival market has become so over-saturated over time. 10 years ago, there wasn't much competition. There were like 5 major festivals around North America, now there are hundred's. So many to the point where festivals keep folding and throwing in the towel. All festivals in the PNW (Seattle/Vancouver area) keep going under. We had the fall of Pemberton, Squamish, The Virgin Festival, Bumbershoot and most recently, Sasquatch called in quits as well for 2019.

There is just too much competition, and more competition is going to lead to weaker lineups. That's really all it comes down to.

Space Suicide
01-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Worst Coachella lineup ever. It also went the way of generic mainstream trash like the once great Lollapalooza.

01-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Bring back Lollapalooza 95....Sonic Youth, Beck, Pavement and The Jesus Lizard...Indie wet dream

Coachella now caters to the Kardashians and their ilk. Mainstream pop culture trash

TheRealNs1
01-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Coachella is simply going where the money is.

//edit

THR is not amused: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/is-2019-coachella-lineup-weakest-all-time-1172962

SM Rollinger
01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
I admitted to myself that at 35 im just a bitter old man who longs for the good old days.

If that makes you feel better.

TheRealNs1
01-03-2019, 06:46 PM
I admitted to myself that at 35 im just a bitter old man who longs for the good old days.

If that makes you feel better.

Coachella '99 forever. LOOK AT THIS. JUST LOOK AT IT. Even Christopher Lawrence as a bottom line DJ at that time is incredible.

https://image-cdn.hypb.st/http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F01%2F1 9991.jpg?q=90&w=1090&cbr=1&fit=max

Exocet
01-03-2019, 06:52 PM
its nothing like it was 15 years ago,
this festival was the envy of the world in the mid 00's...they even almost managed to get the Cocteau Twins back together. Now its Ariana Grande and Tame Impala.

its not just Coachella though. all of the former best music festivals suck now, including Reading Festival, Coachellas biggest influence. Reading was like the worlds Coachella of the 1990s, line ups to die for, check out the 1992 line up amazing. Nirvana, Pavement, L7, Hole, Mudhoney, Teenage Fanclub Screaming Trees, Public Enemy etc.

I think its because there are too many festivals now?

01-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Roskilde 09 apparently had Faith No More, NIN and Nick Cave on the same stage back to back to back so occasionally a festival still gets it right....Seems like most festivals these days cater to mainstream pop culture trash or old washed up metalheads wanting to relive 1979...The poser fests bring in the most money. Cool lineups always go broke. 95 Lolla had Pavement, Beck, Jesus Lizard and Sonic Youth and lost money. Infamous stories about 95 Alt Nation in Australia that had Faith No More, NIN and fucking Tool which sounds like the greatest festival ever and they went under for bad attendance lol.....

BRoswell
01-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I enjoy Childish Gambino but it's crazy that he get's a headlining slot based on ONE song from an album that has no release date in site.

It's not just because of This Is America. He's a wildly popular artist who has his hands in a lot of different projects and a lot of eyes on him. In other words, he's hot stuff, so it makes sense for him to be a headliner.

As for the lineup...well, it is what it is. I don't know who most of these people are, but then again, if I look at the lineups from the so-called golden days of yore, I see a lot of names I still don't recognize. I'm not sure why anyone would cry foul at a festival that most of us probably weren't going to in the first place, or why who performs at Coachella determines the fate of "good music".

Jinsai
01-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Coachella '99 forever. LOOK AT THIS. JUST LOOK AT IT. Even Christopher Lawrence as a bottom line DJ at that time is incredible.

https://image-cdn.hypb.st/http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F01%2F1 9991.jpg?q=90&w=1090&cbr=1&fit=max

i was there. It was rad. Fuck this lineup.

Luke Vibert and Autechre at the bottom of the bill... jesus

halo eighteen
01-03-2019, 07:25 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2013-01-25-BBbaQzQCQAAYu_P.jpglarge

A reminder that this was 6 years ago and perhaps the last truly great Coachella lineup.

*Note: Lou Reed did not play*

henryeatscereal
01-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Roskilde 09 apparently had Faith No More, NIN and Nick Cave on the same stage back to back to back so occasionally a festival still gets it right....Seems like most festivals these days cater to mainstream pop culture trash or old washed up metalheads wanting to relive 1979...The poser fests bring in the most money. Cool lineups always go broke. 95 Lolla had Pavement, Beck, Jesus Lizard and Sonic Youth and lost money. Infamous stories about 95 Alt Nation in Australia that had Faith No More, NIN and fucking Tool which sounds like the greatest festival ever and they went under for bad attendance lol.....
I went to Roskilde 09 and it was glorious! NIN played a great set, FNM killed it and Nick Cave gave even a better show than Glastonbury, even Oasis played in that one and i enjoyed it!

Rubeninphoenix
01-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Last time Deep Dish played together, they looked like they knew had made a mistake playing together. Fuck it though, if I make there, Yuma Tent ALL DAY.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Leviathant
01-03-2019, 09:24 PM
ITT: People in their late 30s complaining that today's music festivals aren't as good as the ones from 15 years ago

P.S. Spend your money on a flight to see Aphex Twin in the UK rather than waste it on a ticket to catch a set here.

(I'm not disagreeing with the premise, btw. How is Janelle Monae not headlining?)

Krazy
01-03-2019, 09:45 PM
So apparently the Kanye rumors about him playing Coachella were true??? I figured that’s was BS since dude has been a train wreck for awhile now, and pretty sure most tickets/passes are sold prior to lineup announcements anyways- so why take that chance?

As for Levi’s comment above, there’s definitely some “old man yells at cloud” truth to that and I think some of us expressed it as much. But there’s no denying that these festivals are now over-saturated garbage. Ariana Grande is the biggest name here- imagine Brittany Spears playing Woodstock 1999 lol. I think that’s a pretty fair comparison even if WS wasn’t a yearly festival.

Shoukd be great making fun of the “Woodstock” 2019 lineup when it’s announced. I will be here! [secretly hopes it’s decent so Incan have some faith in music]

01-03-2019, 10:21 PM
I doubt its an age thing. I think 20 year olds with good taste in music would also agree this is a shit lineup.....Juno was 16 and her favorite band was the raw power of Iggy and the Stooges for god sake.

zecho
01-03-2019, 10:27 PM
I doubt its an age thing. I think 20 year olds with good taste in music would also agree this is a shit lineup.....Juno was 16 and her favorite band was the raw power of Iggy and the Stooges for god sake.

As a mid-20s guy who keeps up with pop music: yeah, this lineup is shit.

EDIT: That said, I count 25 bands that I enjoy in this lineup, so it could still be worse.

Jinsai
01-04-2019, 01:14 AM
I guess the distinction I'd make is that back in the day (woo hoo!), festivals weren't quite the thing to get excited about until you knew who was playing.

Anyway, if I sit around much longer I'm bound to lose track of things and I'll be late for Bingo.

Jord
01-04-2019, 04:01 AM
Music, in general, has become much shitty.

I'd be more inclined to say what's popular has become more shitty. The good stuff is still all over but just not on the big bill at Coachella.

Lerxto
01-04-2019, 06:26 AM
I'd be more inclined to say what's popular has become more shitty. The good stuff is still all over but just not on the big bill at Coachella.
True statement. Thus it's much harder to find good music. It's buried deep. I just miss the days when I could discover new artists I'll eventually get to love - on the charts or at festivals.
Generation Z and teens today care less about music, and I do blame internet and streaming.
If you know how to appreciate it the tech is wonderful, but definitely more cons than pros.

elevenism
01-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Ugh! That lineup IS ruff.

StockAvuryah
01-04-2019, 10:29 AM
As a mid-20s guy who keeps up with pop music: yeah, this lineup is shit.

EDIT: That said, I count 25 bands that I enjoy in this lineup, so it could still be worse.

Can confirm, "younger" people who actually go to concerts often and care about their music think this is shit. While the overwhelming majority of casual fans love it. So, in short, it's just a pop festival, while it used to be somewhat "indie", I guess. Same shit happening with Primavera Sound, for example, on a smaller scale.

Jord
01-04-2019, 10:52 AM
True statement. Thus it's much harder to find good music. It's buried deep. I just miss the days when I could discover new artists I'll eventually get to love - on the charts or at festivals.
Generation Z and teens today care less about music, and I do blame internet and streaming.
If you know how to appreciate it the tech is wonderful, but definitely more cons than pros.

Amen to that. I stopped finding new stuff for a while and then realised I was fed up of the same old stuff. I get most of my new artists from BBC6 Music radio here in the UK now, and random bandcamp surfing, but so much stuff that's pushed down everyone's throats is just music as a product, cookie cutter disposable stuff that won't last the test of time.

Elrickooo
01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Tame impala are the only ones who deserve that headline spot. They’ve been smashing it for a few years now, have a great live show and have new music coming out.. Was great seeing Trent giving them some recognition at panorama.

Jinsai
01-04-2019, 01:58 PM
I don't think Coachella's shitty new lineup is really a culturally important barometer to gauge the quality of modern music by... this isn't a watershed moment. I think it might even largely be me just not being familiar with practically 90% of the names on there. That's a first time for me... usually I'd scan the small names and be pretty stoked. I have no fucking idea who these people are, but that's on me really. I can't say if they're good or not.... but the headliners outside of Aphex Twin and Tame Impala, and maybe I'd like to check out Weezer, Diplo...

I think the festival knows their audience at this point, and what it's primarily morphed into over the years. Last few times I went, it seemed as if most people were there for the experience, the festival, and mostly unconcerned with who was playing.

Kodiak33
01-04-2019, 07:04 PM
And Coachella is sold out...

armogi
01-05-2019, 10:57 AM
And Coachella is sold out...

Like there was any doubt... It's amazing, who plays doesn't really matters in the end.

fillow
01-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Same shit happening with Primavera Sound, for example, on a smaller scale.
I've been at Primavera just three years ago (2015). There were Interpol, Underworld, The Replacements, Einsturzende Neubauten, Tori Amos, The Soft Moon, Thurston Moore, Swans, DFA1979, Earth, Earthless, White Hills, Exxasens, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Patti Smith, Eels... Pretty fucking impressive, if you ask me. Did they go south that fast?

Space Suicide
01-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Like there was any doubt... It's amazing, who plays doesn't really matters in the end.

It's a social gathering event both for "street cred" and idiots to spam instagram with. This will always be one of my favorite videos (real or not):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk

zecho
01-05-2019, 04:34 PM

That's what bothers me the most about this. It would sell out regardless of the bands, so why fill it up with a bunch of soundcloud djs? It would be sold out if it was good music too.

StockAvuryah
01-05-2019, 04:59 PM
I've been at Primavera just three years ago (2015). There were Interpol, Underworld, The Replacements, Einsturzende Neubauten, Tori Amos, The Soft Moon, Thurston Moore, Swans, DFA1979, Earth, Earthless, White Hills, Exxasens, Electric Wizard, Sunn O))), Patti Smith, Eels... Pretty fucking impressive, if you ask me. Did they go south that fast?

Yes. It's gradual, but don't worry it will be dead (for some of us) if nothing changes.

kel
01-05-2019, 05:30 PM
we're just not the target demo anymore, guys. salivating over past line-ups is nostalgia stuff. you knew you were going to hate it, just like last year (when beyonce KILLED IT) and the year before (when lady gaga did the same thing).

just don't go.

ManBurning
01-05-2019, 08:34 PM
we're just not the target demo anymore, guys. salivating over past line-ups is nostalgia stuff. you knew you were going to hate it, just like last year (when beyonce KILLED IT) and the year before (when lady gaga did the same thing).

just don't go.

This is true. Hundred's of festivals to choose from in this day and age, too many actually. There's a festival out there for everyone, and this one just caters to the 16-22 yr old demographic of today. There are festivals out there that cater to those yearning for the "good old days" just gotta pick your poison. Hellfest in France looks like it's a festival straight out of 1979 or 1985 and I'm sure there are a bunch of 50 yr olds out there who couldn't be more excited, while coachella's demographic wouldn't give 2 shits about it.

As someone else pointed out earlier when it sold out. The organizers know their demographic. They knew it was going to sell out, they weren't worried.

There was a time where I looked forward to January of every year to see the announcement of coachella. It usually signified the start of festival season. Now, there is no need to wait for coachella's lineup to be released because festival season has become a "year round" thing now. Every other week a new one is being announced. There's something for everyone out there, and this festival frankly is not catered to the average "rock" fan.

halo eighteen
01-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Weekend 2 passes are still available (regular passes for AMEX cardholders; shuttle combo passes for general sale), so I'm not sure why they're pushing a sold out narrative. It's pretty clear that Weekend 1 is the only one most people care about though.

Space Suicide
01-05-2019, 11:46 PM
This is true. Hundred's of festivals to choose from in this day and age, too many actually. There's a festival out there for everyone, and this one just caters to the 16-22 yr old demographic of today. There are festivals out there that cater to those yearning for the "good old days" just gotta pick your poison. Hellfest in France looks like it's a festival straight out of 1979 or 1985 and I'm sure there are a bunch of 50 yr olds out there who couldn't be more excited, while coachella's demographic wouldn't give 2 shits about it.

As someone else pointed out earlier when it sold out. The organizers know their demographic. They knew it was going to sell out, they weren't worried.

There was a time where I looked forward to January of every year to see the announcement of coachella. It usually signified the start of festival season. Now, there is no need to wait for coachella's lineup to be released because festival season has become a "year round" thing now. Every other week a new one is being announced. There's something for everyone out there, and this festival frankly is not catered to the average "rock" fan.

Most of the Metal Festivals I care about are in Europe. Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting and Bloodstock are the ones I enjoy the most and I doubt I'd ever attend one.

ManBurning
01-06-2019, 12:25 AM
Most of the Metal Festivals I care about are in Europe. Wacken Open Air, Graspop Metal Meeting and Bloodstock are the ones I enjoy the most and I doubt I'd ever attend one.

Yeah, I want to go to Wacken or Graspop once in my life. Europe gets all the good stuff.

Krazy
01-06-2019, 01:04 PM
They do like their metal over on the other side of the pond, don’t they? It seems like heavier music is way more popular over there, outside some of the more mainstream acts such as Metallica.

Space Suicide
01-06-2019, 01:11 PM
They do like their metal over on the other side of the pond, don’t they? It seems like heavier music is way more popular over there, outside some of the more mainstream acts such as Metallica.

Most of the metal in Europe (aside from the UK) isn't tailored to mainstream play rules so there's lot more variety, extremities and styles.

Jord
01-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Despite my disdain for the majority of it, there are still lots of great bands and artists on there. Aphex, Tame Impala, Khruangbin, Four Tet, The 1975, Jon Hopkins, Hot Since 82, Ross From Friends, Mac Demarco, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, I went to Leeds 2016 when there were less artists on the bill I liked than this. If in another reality I was from the USA and that group of artists constituted one day of Coachella I’d definitely go.

Aren’t Coachella usually the ones who end up having a band on who have reformed which makes it such a big sell?

chuckrh
01-06-2019, 03:22 PM
there were a few years where you could go catch Coachella acts between weekends in Vegas at small venues. was a good thing. this batch doesn't look like it would be worth the effort for that even. i do like Tame Impala plenty but wish they would do more non festival shows. they've kind of done it to death.

onthewall2983
01-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Rock festivals in the UK seem to be taken more seriously and taken to heart by the people running them than what we're seeing here. There are even prog rock festivals with lineups I'd drool over that are in decently sized locations, but probably couldn't sell out a bingo hall here.

kel
01-06-2019, 06:25 PM
it’s not even that bad of a line-up; janelle monae, solange, and even ariana grande are acts i’d pay to see. it’s not fucking daft punk in a huge pyramid or madonna in a tent, but it’s not awful.

onthewall2983
01-06-2019, 06:59 PM
You couldn't pay me to go to this festival. Or any other in fact.

This one came close to tempting me though, I must admit.

https://cdn-2-www.bonnaroo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/20081.jpg

That said I won't knock any line-up like the one we are mainly discussing, especially if it can draw a crowd which clearly it has.

bobbie solo
01-07-2019, 03:09 AM
Ha! I worked Bonnaroo 2008 for my old radio station. Got the royal treatment all weekend: backstage access almost everywhere at the fest, free food & drink, we interviewed a few artists, had access to decent enough private bathrooms & showers, and the big key: we slept in an air conditioned tour bus with individual bunks. That was clutch b/c it was hot as fuck that weekend, and as I'm sure it is most Bonnaroos down in Tennessee in the middle of June.

I'm not trying to show off, it's just one of my happiest memories b/c everything about that weekend was kinda surreal so I love talking about it. It was a bit of a whirlwind. I was there with my old boss and we separated for large portions of each day. He's alot older and was really only there to meet up with his new gf right after his divorce. So I was alone for the first time at a festival, and had never been to one this big with this insane of a lineup, and away from home.

I remember seeing Mastodon early on Friday, one of the few heavy acts there. Vampire Weekend played Thursday night late I believe, right as they were blowing up (same thing with MGMT). Thursday was cool b/c it was like a small soft launch to the festival, with only a few acts & only a fraction of the crowd.

I saw Sigur Ros at 1am in a tent. One of Bonnaroo's best aspects is the lack of curfew. Their performance of Festival with the additional choir members is one of my favorite live performances ever. I watched Tiesto, MGMT, The Raconteurs & The Sword from sidestage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2S1WpgGII&ab_channel=HugoLopes

Hung out with Back Door Slam. Seeing Chris Rock prelude Metallica with comedy for a few minutes and then literally introduce them was crazy. I sat next to two younger girls who didn't know any of their material but felt like they should watch them b/c they're Metallica, and then were terrified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GLYRhHtAJ8&ab_channel=tallica4lifebootleg s

Kirt came out much later that night at like 12 or 1am with My Morning Jacket and did a few songs. MMJ's performance that weekend turned me into a fan....closest thing to a jam band I listen to. Rained a bit throughout their set which made it even cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8g_E1Dd8SU&ab_channel=Bonnaroo

Was able to lie my way backstage for Pearl Jam, and got to watch them from an elevated little stage on the side behind the band. Seeing all those people (80,000 or so) on the field from that angle was insane. Janeane Garofalo helped a drunken Eddie Vedder change shirts during a guitar solo b/c he was wasted on red wine (shocker) and spilled it on himself. Can see the crowd pretty well at times here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeLFLTCDyuE

And then the kicker right after this was waiting literally till 4am for Kanye to finally fucking perform that "night" while that shithead demanded his entire, intricate stage be built for him after PJ tore down. He wouldn't go on until it was ready. I am friends till this day with that shitty band Dispatch's manager b/c of how long we were sitting next to each other waiting for the show to start. He prolly performed for less than 20,000 people bc of it. Talk about surreal...he was still performing as the sun rose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkswH3-s4Lo&ab_channel=JennieAlbano

To cap the weekend off, I flew straight home on no sleep after Kanye and saw Iron Maiden that night at MSG. I was floating at this point I think, but I couldn't miss Maiden that go round b/c they were doing only 80's material.

One of the best weekends ever.

https://i.ibb.co/VgR24gz/IMG-5906.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/kBptx5S/IMG-5907.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/CJLnkgB/IMG-5908.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/kQD1wLG/IMG-5909.jpg

elevenism
01-07-2019, 03:39 AM
That's awesome, @bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) . All I got is that I saw Tiesto at a rave out in a field in Texas at like 4 am in 99 or so. I had eaten a lot of ecstacises, and it was one of my "favorite weekends."

Speaking of which, does anyone else miss circa 2000 massives? That was right at the point when it had gotten huge, but was still underground (party was all night, no corporate sponsors or advertising on the radio, etc.)

That was around the time of the FIRST Electric Daisy Carnival. Sorry if this is drift. It's just, those are the only kind of festivals I know about.

I saw pretty much every dnb act you can think of in those days, from kosheen, to bad company, Andy c, diesel boy/dara/ak1200, icey, Raymond Roker, Roni Size, Goldie, Mickey Finn, et al infinitum, and ventured out of the small tent for things like Tiesto, Simply Jeff, Robert Miles (ffs!), Rabbit in the Moon, etc- OH, and the occasional hip hop act that was cool enough to play a pseudo legal rave at 3 am. Jurassic Five did it more than once.

EDit: sorry, y'all. This might be the driftiest thing I've ever posted

elevenism
01-07-2019, 03:50 AM

just don't go.but that's the thing. Beyonce makes sense. So does Lady Gaga. Those are bad ass, huge name headliners. You could also throw, idk, fucking Bruce Springsteen or something up there, and I wouldn't be confused.

This is the first one that doesn't have much of that. There isn't enough "daft punk playing in a giant pyramid" going on here, for my tastes.

It seems like their just aren't as many huge name and buzzworthy acts at this one. Like, could they not get Drake? Travis Scott? Tyler, the Creator? Daughters? Ghost?

Of course, and this is critical and MAY prove your point: is Ariana Grande on par with Gaga and Queen Bey and I'm just too old to KNOW it? Is that what's going on here?

Edit: at least SOPHIE is on there. He, or she, I'm not sure how they identify, makes some INSANELY disturbing next level, idk, deconstructionist art pop, I guess? Everyone check that shit out.

halo eighteen
01-07-2019, 06:23 AM
^Oh, if I was going I'd definitely be watching SOPHIE. Sofi Tukker also put on an amazing show. Add Aphex Twin in there and that's easily my top 3 of the weekend, conveniently on different days even. But I'd likely be bored most of the rest of the day.

I did some minor and unintentional digging last night on Baeble when I just happened to notice that both A R I Z O N A (srsly? It wasn't any less annoying when S U R V I V E did it) and Mansionair had performances on there. Unfortunately, despite the lead singer of the former being a rather nice looking hairy bearish guy in a V/H/S film t-shirt, I thought both bands were far from impressive.

I feel like Janelle Monáe should be co-headlining with Tame Impala, or even outright headlining over them. That one's kind of a headscratcher. It's nice to see Khalid finally pop up on the poster; we spotted him backstage a couple years ago. Hop Along and Khruangbin were names I overlooked the first time around as well. I agree this isn't as completely horrible as I thought it was on first glance, but it's far from a great lineup. Then again, so is Primavera. It might just be a down year for festivals in general.

kel
01-07-2019, 01:12 PM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) i was mainly saying that the rhetoric around here has been the same for years every time the line-up is announced. no one is ever happy. and ariana is certainly as popular as gaga and bey, but she doesn’t have the same power on stage. but it’s really not fair to compare any acts to either of them.

TheRealNs1
01-07-2019, 01:24 PM
That's what bothers me the most about this. It would sell out regardless of the bands, so why fill it up with a bunch of soundcloud djs? It would be sold out if it was good music too.

because profit margins

imail724
01-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Although far from incredible, Bonnaroo looks a helluva lot more interesting than Coachella this year

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49622938_10155933936015906_2972413846129475584_n.p ng?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=cfef618e44f4a2f75be3acf015a88b1f&oe=5CD46B6B

halo eighteen
01-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Beach House, Deafheaven, and Bishop Briggs are all win, but those headliners.. I just can't even with the Lumineers being top billed =X

The National are billed lower than I'd have expected.

Rubeninphoenix
01-08-2019, 11:52 AM
When there's only 8 artists I'd want to see during a 4 DAY festival [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Then again, most of these things are about the experience rather than the music now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

elevenism
01-09-2019, 03:13 AM
I DON'T think it's just out ages, y'all. LAST YEAR was Radiohead, Beyonce and Kendrick Lamar, with Lorde, New Order, Travis Scott, Bon Iver.

Something else is going on here. It's either a budget thing, OR, maybe there's some sort of industry rumor that it's not hip to play Coachella anymore.

OR, the promoters have decided to change the dynamic of the thing. Or maybe, the huge names are committed to other, TBA festival lineups.

But it's SOMETHING. Those are my thoughts, anyway. I'm not just being cynical. I'm not, like, pissed off that the headliners aren't NIN, Tool, and the ghost of David Bowie.

It's not that these acts aren't my favorites or of my favorite genres. Rather, they just aren't as STUNNING as they have been pretty much every other year.

kel
01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
last year was beyonce, the weeknd, and eminem. it was the year before with gaga, kendrick, radiohead (as good as headliners get).

you make some excellent points.

BRoswell
01-09-2019, 11:44 AM
I DON'T think it's just out ages, y'all. LAST YEAR was Radiohead, Beyonce and Kendrick Lamar, with Lorde, New Order, Travis Scott, Bon Iver.

Something else is going on here. It's either a budget thing, OR, maybe there's some sort of industry rumor that it's not hip to play Coachella anymore.

OR, the promoters have decided to change the dynamic of the thing. Or maybe, the huge names are committed to other, TBA festival lineups.

But it's SOMETHING. Those are my thoughts, anyway. I'm not just being cynical. I'm not, like, pissed off that the headliners aren't NIN, Tool, and the ghost of David Bowie.

It's not that these acts aren't my favorites or of my favorite genres. Rather, they just aren't as STUNNING as they have been pretty much every other year.

This might have something to do with it. (https://www.spin.com/2019/01/coachella-owner-philip-anschutz-political-donations/)

halo eighteen
01-09-2019, 12:21 PM
This might have something to do with it. (https://www.spin.com/2019/01/coachella-owner-philip-anschutz-political-donations/)

That's been brought up every year for about the last 3 years. Trans performer Ezra Furman even had a little tirade about it at his criminally underattended set a couple years back that I caught, basically saying he didn't mind taking their money. I personally think it's bordering a little on clickbait. Goldenvoice are the ones that put on Coachella; AEG happens to have owned them for a number of years now. If we all suddenly seriously took offense to what major corporations and CEOs are doing, then nobody would be spending any money anywhere. The bottom line is your money will always ultimately end up going to causes you don't support.

Maybe that might explain why Mitski isn't playing this year (though she also did in 2017), or why Fever Ray didn't last year, but I've yet to find an interview with anyone saying that's the reason they have declined to play at Coachella. It certainly didn't deter Lady Gaga. I find it to be an incredible non-issue.

Jinsai
01-09-2019, 12:50 PM
and then I'm looking at this Ceremonia festival in Mexico on April 6... It's a single day, and on the lineup you've got Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Modeselektor...

theimage13
01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Of course, and this is critical and MAY prove your point: is Ariana Grande on par with Gaga and Queen Bey and I'm just too old to KNOW it? Is that what's going on here?

Yes. SOME pop stars having staying power; some simply explode to huge heights for a very short time. Grande is, for lack of a way to describe this without a bad pun, HUGE right now. Her audience is as obsessed and feverish as Swift or Gaga or whoever. Will she stay that way? Probably not. But she'll make Goldenvoice a ton of money this year, and that's all they care about.

They HAD other huge names lined up, but one canceled because of a hissy fit over the size of the stage (Kanye) and one canceled because Goldenvoice literally would not allow them to plan the rest of their tour as scheduled (Timberlake). And believe me, it's just not feasible to have other artists of their magnitude lined up in the wings "just in case".

henryeatscereal
01-09-2019, 02:11 PM
and then I'm looking at this Ceremonia festival in Mexico on April 6... It's a single day, and on the lineup you've got Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Modeselektor...
I'm considering going, it's another state for me, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass, but just for Massive Attack and Aphex Twin it's worth it!

BRoswell
01-10-2019, 12:37 AM
...but I've yet to find an interview with anyone saying that's the reason they have declined to play at Coachella.

Not sure why someone would have to give an interview to confirm their reasoning for not playing a festival. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

And while it may not be anything new, I feel it HAS gotten more attention in the past year. Whether or not any of us think its a big deal doesn't really matter. Some artists, including some big names, may not want to be associated with the festival at this point, and rather than draw more attention to it, they will simply let their absence do the talking for them.

nooneimportant
01-10-2019, 01:11 AM
I've enjoyed catching some of Coachella's live stream over the past few years but this one doesn't really appeal to me. I will still probably watch maybe one or two shows or something. I like all kinds of music so I don't really have a problem with the artists, it's just not doing anything for me personally.

For anyone wondering why Childish Gambino is a headliner, he's been on a tour recently that has been getting good reviews so it makes sense. He might not have a new album out but you don't need a new album to play a show. As for Ariana Grande, she's been extremely popular lately so I'm not surprised she's headlining.

theimage13
01-13-2019, 09:43 AM
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8493235/kanye-west-pulled-out-of-coachella-2019-dome

tl;dr - Kanye is an egomaniac who thought he could bend an entire festival, encompassing thousands of workers and months of planning, so he could do whatever he wanted. Got pissy when told no. Immediately got kicked out by promoters. Tame Impala was already on the bill and simply moved up to headliner status when Timberlake canceled.

halo eighteen
01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-paul-tollet-coachella-20190111-story.html

Enlightening interview with Paul Tollett, GV president/Coachella co-founder.

implanted_microchip
01-13-2019, 12:43 PM
I would have 100% gone to see Kanye play inside of a giant bubble while surrounded by fans in every direction, and I can't think of a more accurate depiction of his worldview. I don't think the lineup is offensively bad or anything but for a festival as well-known, expensive and crowded as this it's definitely underwhelming.

bobbie solo
01-13-2019, 03:26 PM
I would have 100% gone to see Kanye play inside of a giant bubble while surrounded by fans in every direction, and I can't think of a more accurate depiction of his worldview.

reaffirming the board's best poster status, or certainly near the top.

Jinsai
04-13-2019, 03:07 AM
I'm watching the live stream!
This shit fucking sucks!

versusreality
04-13-2019, 04:24 AM
didn't even realize it was this weekend. thanks for the reminder hah. I'll give it a watch periodically.

Kodiak33
04-13-2019, 10:44 AM
I'm watching the live stream!
This shit fucking sucks!

Most of it is really bad...I don't know what they were thinking with this lineup. Maybe to help people get exposure since JT and Kanye bailed? I liked 1975, Rufus Du Sol, Janelle Monae though. And discovered Khruangbin. Blackpink was hyped beyond belief, but they were awful.

Jinsai
04-13-2019, 11:11 AM
I think this bs is what we should probably expect from any mega festival that sells out before the lineup is announced. This is the logical completion of that formula. Never mind what a monumental dick/homophobe/trump-supporter the guy who runs it is

versusreality
04-13-2019, 04:09 PM
I've discovered some new music across the 3 channels. I'm happy..gotta take the bad with the good.

richardp
04-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Blackpink was hyped beyond belief, but they were awful.

I caught like 10 minutes of this set and was really fuckin' confused as to what the fuck I was watching. I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to K-Pop to really get what the shows are like, but that was fucking dog shit. This music feels so fucking unbelievably manufactured and lifeless.

versusreality
04-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Jambinai now on channel 3!! Wow!! Traiditional Asian instruments warming up, and then this HEAVY industrial slug out of nowhere!

Jinsai
04-13-2019, 10:21 PM
so, are they going to stream Aphex Twin tonight? (he's supposed to get on at 9pm)

Well, at least Four Tet was cool... otherwise, this is the most bullshit thing ever. I'm watching Billie Eilish's set, and I get it... this isn't for me. Every time the camera cuts to the audience, I'm well aware of how out of place I would look in the middle of this crowd of grade school girls crying screaming their heads off. This isn't for me, I get it.

That doesn't change anything about how much it sucks. It's torture to see this being broadcast, and whatever that shit was from someone called Gryffin.... too bad I can't see the rare live performance from perhaps the single most influential electronic musician alive, who is playing within walking distance of this garbage.

EDIT: I'll eat my words right now and say that I'm really blown away by Little Simz performance here... and I'd be sad if I went to the festival and missed this to see Tame Impala.

versusreality
04-14-2019, 06:13 AM
^no, Aphex Twin isn't streaming sadly. I'm disappointed I missed the Four Tet set.

When I went 5 years ago, I had the time of my life..there was a lot of shit of course, but good stuff too. I was there for the Outkast reunion...Girl Talk is always so much fun..Fatboy Slim...Motorhead! Temples, War Paint..man, come to think of it, there was a LOT of good stuff that year.

halo eighteen
04-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Bob Moses covered Breathe and dedicated it to Keith, that was pretty nice.

Never mind what a monumental dick/homophobe/trump-supporter the guy who runs it is

No, the "guy who runs it" is not any of those things. The guy who runs it is Paul Tollett. Goldenvoice puts on Coachella. Goldenvoice is owned by parent company AEG, the CEO of which is Philip Anschutz, who is probably all of those things you listed. These lineups have been getting increasingly bad, but still with a few diamonds in the rough. That has fuck all to do with AEG though, despite what click bait articles seem to be leading you to believe.

Kodiak33
04-14-2019, 10:52 AM
This is just a bad year...2013 (when I went) was fucking incredible. I loved it.

Jinsai
04-14-2019, 02:51 PM
This is just a bad year...2013 (when I went) was fucking incredible. I loved it.

Yeah, I was there that year. It was a great time.

Kodiak33
04-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I was there that year. It was a great time.

That lineup was stupid stacked. Don't make em like that anymore.

Jinsai
04-28-2019, 01:37 PM
ELL OH fucking ELL

Youtuber accidentally watches Aphex Twin at Coachella (https://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/bhrqqp/some_youtuber_girl_accidentally_watches_aphex/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app)

Krazy
04-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Herpes.

DVYDRNS
04-29-2019, 04:49 PM
WOODSTOCK 50 CANCELLED.

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/29/music-festival-woodstock-50-is-canceled/

Lol.

ManBurning
12-23-2019, 12:59 AM
Potential leak, could be a fake floating around...

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/80602144_2657909134244561_7618033056837795840_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlskWAzIqygAjficm3PHrn9iR_livTjRFKl-6JP5xgm9AXaG61eVH0DMauT-uzFNK4&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=4ea2576d7bcccf3649cf7b66e23fb520&oe=5E67E4BC

versusreality
12-23-2019, 05:25 AM
Chemical Brothers! a few artists I'd see. looks better than this year's lineup, which isn't saying much. if I had disposable income, I'd go.

halo eighteen
12-23-2019, 06:11 AM
There's some educated guesses there for sure. I feel like MCR would headline a day, though. Sade is random as fuck (and would be amazing if true). Deftones finally showing up after 20 years of lineups makes me question the legitimacy of this, though. If that was gonna be a thing, it would've happened a long time ago.

theimage13
12-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Looks fake to me. Time will tell.

cdm
12-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Do they typically reuse the same graphic design year after year?

** Nevermind I just learned to Google. Still looks fake-ish.

Demogorgon
12-23-2019, 11:01 AM
That is a lot of relatively awful music to stand through before getting to some of the headliners.

halo eighteen
12-23-2019, 11:07 AM
That is a lot of relatively awful music to stand through before getting to some of the headliners.

So exactly what the real lineup will be like lmao

12-23-2019, 01:52 PM
I hope its real because Rage headlining a festival run by a hardcore alt right dude would add so much fuel to the fire about what a bunch of hypocrites they are lmao

Jinsai
12-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Thom Yorke billed below Flume? Chemical Brothers below Disclosure and whoever Maluma is... Earth Wind and Fire billed below BROCKHAMPTON (whoever the fuck that is)... look how low Pixies are billed. I dunno, I call fake, but Rage is definitely headlining a day, and I'd assume it's not day 1.

This would also be a complete 180 from the pop pandering of last year's headliners.

theimage13
12-23-2019, 02:19 PM
I hope its real because Rage headlining a festival run by a hardcore alt right dude would add so much fuel to the fire about what a bunch of hypocrites they are lmao

Rage IS headlining. That was confirmed like a month ago by both the band and Goldenvoice.

implanted_microchip
12-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Recent years have been underwhelming by far but Rage, Frank, MCR, Chromatics, Thom Yorke, Pixies, Earth Wind and Fire, Deftones and Chemical Brothers ... that’s a fucking great lineup considering what they’ve had in the past couple years! People will always find a reason to bitch but this seems awesome. Diverse and full of reasons for anyone to come out on different nights. I’ve not wanted to hit up Coachella in years but this is actually solid IMO

botley
12-23-2019, 02:49 PM
BROCKHAMPTON (whoever the fuck that is)
Dude, you're missing out! They have some of the coolest production and flow in the R'n'B game right now.

Jinsai
12-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Dude, you're missing out! They have some of the coolest production and flow in the R'n'B game right now.

I claim pure ignorance, but when I see it billed over Earth Wind & Fire? Maybe I'm just REALLY old

BRoswell
12-23-2019, 05:17 PM

Sick buuuurn! You sure showed them, bruh!

12-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Sick buuuurn! You sure showed them, bruh!

I dont need to burn them. The world sees what hypocritical asshole sellouts they are....Except for their jock bro fans who wanna jump up n down and mosh to songs about apartheid and police brutality (the burn being 95% of RATM fans dont even pay attention to the lyrics because they're too busy partying like its 1999)

BRoswell
12-23-2019, 06:04 PM
I dont need to burn them.

Your posts say otherwise.

SM Rollinger
12-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Like I've said before, there is nothing wrong with getting paid and making as much money as you can.

fillow
12-24-2019, 01:33 AM
Like I've said before, there is nothing wrong with getting paid and making as much money as you can.
Wait, what if someone on the internet calls you a sellout for that? How are you gonna live with it?

SM Rollinger
12-24-2019, 06:37 AM
Wait, what if someone on the internet calls you a sellout for that? How are you gonna live with it?
Same way I deal with all the haters, TWO words...
https://i.imgur.com/Q148rsq.gif

theimage13
12-24-2019, 09:17 AM

Completely disagree, but I'll give you this: "selling out" is tossed around so casually that the phrase is basically meaningless.

12-24-2019, 12:12 PM

Except when you base the entire foundation of your band on being anti-capitalist lmao....Then theres a bit of a conflict of interest

halo eighteen
12-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Except when you base the entire foundation of your band on being anti-capitalist lmao....Then theres a bit of a conflict of interest

Then they lost that about 25 years ago when they signed with a major label in the first place. They sold out long before you'd ever heard their name. Oh, wait, maybe that's a different band.

burninglard
12-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Oh man... all these burns right before Christmas. :p

BRoswell
12-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Then they lost that about 25 years ago when they signed with a major label in the first place. They sold out long before you'd ever heard their name. Oh, wait, maybe that's a different band.

People only sell out when some guy on the internet says so. Don't you know that?

12-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Somehow I am trapped in an argument with butthurt Rage Against The Machine fans lol. I could care less about RATM. I think they are awful but if their fans wanna dance for joy at their reunion, more power to 'em. I will be busy in 2020 embracing reunions by actual good bands like Mr Bungle and Faith No More, so I won't be wasting 2 seconds worrying about RATM at Coachella. And with that, I bow out of this thread
*mic drop*

BRoswell
12-24-2019, 05:56 PM
I could care less about RATM.

...yet you care enough to continually point out how they're sellouts.

And there's no real argument here. We're all just laughing at how you think this is a recent development that's worth mentioning ad nauseam.

ManBurning
01-03-2020, 12:48 AM
Here is the official REAL Coachella 2020 lineup.

Gotta say, it's close to what the fake one was posted on the last page. A lot of the same artists made the cut on both bills. Maybe the previous poster was an early version of what they wanted and then a few acts cancelled/pulled out or whatever.

https://townsquare.media/site/366/files/2020/01/7vXQZqCldM7TDHVGg15mC4T5doIxfrCpbFHkESZ0.jpeg?w=72 0&h=960&q=75

You know, for the first time in like 10 years, this lineup isn't half bad.
I think I actually like the real one more than the fake one.

Some strange names though, Danny Elfman? I mean... I'd check out his set, but totally out of left field for this type of festival.
Fatboy Slim are on there too, hah. haven't heard their name is like 15 years lol.

Jord
01-03-2020, 02:35 AM
Seems to get worse and worse. I'd go for Rage and they've already pulled the Coachella Reunion thing once in 2011.

The times they are a changing.

Then again upon deeper inspection, there's some great stuff hidden in there on the Saturdays. The Comet Is Coming, Murder Capital, Ezra Collective, Fontaines D.C, Floating Points, Anna Calvi - all great.

versusreality
01-03-2020, 04:24 AM
saw Fatboy Slim when I went in 2014. hell of a time.

halo eighteen
01-03-2020, 06:42 AM
Pretty sure I saw Fatboy there in like 2008? Definitely a fun time. This isn't the best lineup in the world, but all things considered it's one of the better recent ones. My coworker who's obsessed with k-pop is flipping out over Bigbang (and Epik High, who were there a few years back when I snapped some pics for her).

Anna Calvi hiding out on the bottom line Saturday is a surprise. Testpilot is a deadmau5 alias, so that's a shock. He claimed he's been banned from the fest since like 2010. Saturday seems like the day more geared towards me. Maybe someday I'll go back to get up to #10, but it won't be this year.

theimage13
01-03-2020, 07:41 AM
Danny Elfman and Carly Rae Jepsen in the same day? Man, maybe working that won't such so hard this year.

JK, it'll still suck really hard. But at least there's a chance I might get to see a couple great acts.

Kodiak33
01-03-2020, 07:58 AM
I'm going this year, the lineup looks pretty decent (definitely better than last year IMO). It kind of sucks to not see MCR or Chemical Brothers based on the leaks, but seeing Hot Chip on there makes me really happy.

halo eighteen
01-03-2020, 08:57 AM
I'm going this year, the lineup looks pretty decent (definitely better than last year IMO). It kind of sucks to not see MCR or Chemical Brothers based on the leaks, but seeing Hot Chip on there makes me really happy.

Hot Chip is always a fun time. The progression of them to Junkie XL to Kraftwerk to Portishead to Prince when I was rolling on ecstasy a long time ago at this fest is probably one of the best moments of my fucking life. Not to condone club drugs or anything.

SM Rollinger
01-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Yeah we never want to condone drug use at a music festival... Lol ;)

brotha52
01-03-2020, 09:23 AM
The De La Rocha guest spot during Run the Jewels will be the highlight of the event.

SM Rollinger
01-03-2020, 09:26 AM
The De La Rocha guest spot during Run the Jewels will be the highlight of the event.

Digging For Windows was sick, I wonder if we will ever see a full project, or will it end up like We Want It All?

versusreality
01-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Hot Chip is always a fun time. The progression of them to Junkie XL to Kraftwerk to Portishead to Prince when I was rolling on ecstasy a long time ago at this fest is probably one of the best moments of my fucking life. Not to condone club drugs or anything.

that sounds awesome. I always wanted to try E too.

Space Suicide
01-04-2020, 09:30 AM

He'll probably just do his spot on Close Your Eyes and Count to F*ck like on the second album.

theimage13
01-05-2020, 09:17 AM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81166534_10157876099261425_2489931110021070848_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=RBIZyoIbkfcAQm1cnztJV8_hq2kDpQtKfManhH8IWV iI1ofZeOLo0s3FQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=aa86561aa792d0dde41b2eefdd023948&oe=5E9F4B57

I am literally - not figuratively - laughing out loud at this. Holy fuck this is brilliant.

ManBurning
01-05-2020, 03:13 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81166534_10157876099261425_2489931110021070848_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=RBIZyoIbkfcAQm1cnztJV8_hq2kDpQtKfManhH8IWV iI1ofZeOLo0s3FQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=aa86561aa792d0dde41b2eefdd023948&oe=5E9F4B57

I am literally - not figuratively - laughing out loud at this. Holy fuck this is brilliant.

This needs to be a thing. I would go. Seriously. I would.

Krazy
01-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Elon Musk & Grimes featuring Cybertruck.

SM Rollinger
01-05-2020, 03:59 PM

I want a Cybertruck sooooooo bad!!

Krazy
01-05-2020, 04:24 PM
I want a Cybertruck sooooooo bad!!

Ewwwwwwww...

I would definitely rock a performance Tesla sedan though. Outside of the obvious (no gas, and lower maintenance), the P models with dual motors have insane acceleration. Friend rented a Model S P90D off Turo back in summer. I have/had fast cars and been in many before, that thing made everything else feel slow when you hit the go pedal. :O

Sorry to go OT.

theimage13
01-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Did you read the very last thing on the poster, after all the bands? Cybertruck wasn't left out ;)

Krazy
01-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Did you read the very last thing on the poster, after all the bands? Cybertruck wasn't left out ;)

Oh shit, no! Thanks for that heads up.

That poster is fun AF. I think Imagine Dragons is the only actual band (outside of a few that have their names twisted up). Funny enough it’s probably where they SHOULD be slotted at any given festival. Heh.

ManBurning
01-06-2020, 04:17 AM
So many of these fake ass things making the rounds, it's hilarious...

I love "featuring Rammstein karaoke (English version) on Saturday", lol!!

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81813336_2687370181298456_2613729908785938432_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQmTbKVKUkXxzRP4hlzki38auRsEkPp0NuN3oHT6mNz 9Z9Oi7J3qF8OuKmgift3sFfQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=01868f76dc6e16ae3af84002d0c1a8f8&oe=5E9D209B

For a zoomed in copy of the poster, go here: https://www.theprp.com/2020/01/05/news/this-fake-metal-coachella-admat-is-actually-kind-of-great/ and click on the poster, because a lot of the best jokes are in the small print.

Gwar (unmasked)
Slayer (farewell tour, yet again)
Marilyn Manson (instrumental set)
Bernie Sanders (hardcore dance and moshing lessons)
Nergal (standup comedy)
Metallica in the smallest print at the very bottom of the list for Saturday, haha.

SM Rollinger
01-22-2020, 02:51 PM
I went to this in 2018 and the VIP was like being at day camp, free snacks, 2 catered meals a day, free drinks, private air conditioned bathrooms ect. Think I'm going again this year, this is right up my alley! (I'm probably the only one here though lol)
http://content.rockusaoshkosh.com/images/2020/2020_poster_lg.jpg

theimage13
01-22-2020, 05:15 PM
If I didn't think festivals were the worst thing in the world, I'd totally go.

Actually, that sounds familiar. Might be one that we do. Could end up there anyway, I guess. 15 year old me would love a lot of that lineup.

BRoswell
01-23-2020, 11:47 PM
I can smell the beer and AXE body spray coming off that poster.

Kodiak33
01-24-2020, 07:40 AM
I went to this in 2018 and the VIP was like being at day camp, free snacks, 2 catered meals a day, free drinks, private air conditioned bathrooms ect. Think I'm going again this year, this is right up my alley! (I'm probably the only one here though lol)
http://content.rockusaoshkosh.com/images/2020/2020_poster_lg.jpg

Riot Fest is similar, Deluxe VIP is so worth it.

SM Rollinger
01-29-2020, 09:15 PM
I can smell the beer and AXE body spray coming off that poster.
I'm gonna have to stock up on Axe Phoenix cuz I'm doing all 3 days again! VIP and I got the same seats that I taped Devildriver from in '18.

(Part of the VIP is dedicated seats in front of the stage but you have access to the festival grounds too. 2nd stage is in a grassy bowl and there is a party tent too. ICP has been religated to said tent lol)

Jon
01-29-2020, 09:45 PM
ICP has been religated to said tent lol)

Tent revival.

You remember that X-Files episode, "Miracle Man"? There was that disfigured dude named Leonard Vance that killed people with poisoned juice...

Krazy
01-29-2020, 10:07 PM
My Chemical Romance has been pegged for a Riot Fest headlining slot.

There’s too many festivals lol.

sonic_discord
01-29-2020, 10:18 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that Rage Against the Machine plays Riot Fest. As of right now, I really want to go to Boston Calling, but my wife wants to go to Bonnaroo. Has anyone here been to either one in the past? I need help deciding....

halo eighteen
03-09-2020, 06:09 AM
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/health/2020/03/08/coronavirus-prompts-cancellation-bnp-paribas-open-tennis-tournament/4997772002

Just a matter of probably days until Coachella is called off. There's a case in Riverside County now, and a tennis tournament nearby the festival grounds this month is canceled.

SM Rollinger
03-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Indian Wells is a huge tennis event. For them to cancel that means the ATP is taking a big financial hit. Coachella is gone. Once the first music festival in Europe gets cancelled, the rest will follow. So all these great bands that had summer tours lined up (Deftones/Faith No More etc) most likely won't play a single show.....This corona shit is going to wipe out the entire sports/music world for 2020

I hope your wrong, but I can't help but agree with you. I've already written off the shows I was going to in May and June as not gonna happen. If this stretches into July and August and I can't go to Rock USA or the 2x Rammstein shows I'm going to be pissed off seriously.

ManBurning
03-09-2020, 06:26 PM
I hope your wrong, but I can't help but agree with you. I've already written off the shows I was going to in May and June as not gonna happen. If this stretches into July and August and I can't go to Rock USA or the 2x Rammstein shows I'm going to be pissed off seriously.

Yeah, I stopped buying concert tickets to anything until I know if they show is gonna go forth or not.

Prepare for a long and boring 2020 friends.

Krazy
03-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I stopped buying concert tickets to anything until I know if they show is gonna go forth or not.

Prepare for a long and boring 2020 friends.

If it’s in your city than there’ll be a refund. I personally wouldn’t book hotels though. Airlines are waiving change fees but one would still be on the hook for the purchase ATM.

And your right about “long and boring”. Was hoping to see NIN tour dates soon but they may put that on the back burner now. Long Cold Boring And Infinite. :/

allegro
03-09-2020, 07:48 PM
Coachella is gone.

It’ll be gone, yup.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-09/3-new-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-coachella-valley

Edit:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1237186326891360256?s=21

ManBurning
03-10-2020, 12:33 AM
Posted this in the COVID-19 thread, but I'll post it here too...

Pearl Jam postponed their tour due to the virus... just a matter of time before other shows start to follow suit now. This sucks.
Bet there won't be TOOL, RAGE or Rammstein this year guys.

https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89719124_2825536537481819_2004263475274055680_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQmN4tiU9uuZv5xICXQjm7_eGwhu2lZgFjLQ9cVbxm0 yEi8ZqNneFOMenIAQb7s8HQY&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=155033ea5a9202d8b277ecc09cdce409&oe=5E975BC1

ALSO, Coachella postponed to October.
Weekends 9 and 16

https://thissongissick.com/post/coachella-corona-virus/

sonic_discord
03-10-2020, 01:09 AM
Bet there won't be TOOL, RAGE or Rammstein this year guys.

Don't you say that. I have tickets to all three of those and more.

ManBurning
03-10-2020, 01:55 AM
Don't you say that. I have tickets to all three of those and more.

I'm with ya. 2020 was gearing up to be an amazing year on all fronts, but by the way things are going... I'm not holding my breath.
I'm just being realistic. I don't see this magically disappearing in 2 months.

halo eighteen
03-10-2020, 06:27 AM
There's a few things I have tickets to between May and July, and I'll be pretty upset if anything's still affected by then but I guess it'll feel like a pay day when refunds start coming in.

Kodiak33
03-10-2020, 07:01 AM
We're supposed to goto Coachella, I can't see how they're going to get this postponed. With the way artists' schedules are, I can't see how they can do it. This has to be a logistical nightmare, not only for those festivals, but for the artists and management.

halo eighteen
03-10-2020, 09:02 AM
We're supposed to goto Coachella, I can't see how they're going to get this postponed. With the way artists' schedules are, I can't see how they can do it. This has to be a logistical nightmare, not only for those festivals, but for the artists and management.

It does seem like a clusterfuck, but as far as the actuality, I think GV took measures for this sorta thing a while ago with their contract with Indio. They've had dates in October available for them since they did that Desert Trip event some years back. As far as the lineup being the same or even mostly the same, yeah that's probably impossible. I know they say lineup subject to change, but when you delay it by half a year and then change most of the lineup - at that point you kind of have to offer refunds.

I hope that a) you'd still be able to make the new dates, b) the lineup is as good if not better, and c) there's some semblance of normalcy by October (much sooner preferably)

Kodiak33
03-10-2020, 03:41 PM
At this point I don't think I'll have an issue going...but I feel bad for people that can't for whatever reason. Luckily the airlines have stepped up, so that shouldn't cost me anything. The hotel might cost a little, but I need to find out.

I think it was the right thing to do overall.

sonic_discord
03-10-2020, 04:22 PM
I just can't believe they're not giving refunds to people who bough tickets. Anyone holding tickets has the option to go in 2021, 2022, or 2023 instead. Lots of people who bought tickets specifically to see certain bands like RATM are going to be pissed...

halo eighteen
03-10-2020, 04:49 PM
I just can't believe they're not giving refunds to people who bough tickets. Anyone holding tickets has the option to go in 2021, 2022, or 2023 instead. Lots of people who bought tickets specifically to see certain bands like RATM are going to be pissed...
Where is that stated, are you sure you're not thinking of SXSW or Ultra? Coachella isn't even officially moved to Oct yet.

sonic_discord
03-10-2020, 06:08 PM
Where is that stated, are you sure you're not thinking of SXSW or Ultra? Coachella isn't even officially moved to Oct yet.

Yeah, I'm thinking of SXSW. My bad.

halo eighteen
03-10-2020, 06:23 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/coachella/status/1237514789762416640/photo/1
It's officially October

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/ppPdu7WX9b">pic.twitter.com/ppPdu7WX9b</a></p>&mdash; Coachella (@coachella) <a href="https://twitter.com/coachella/status/1237514789762416640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kodiak33
03-10-2020, 08:28 PM
And they're doing refunds...good for them. I'm still going. :D

I had to rebook my hotel pretty quickly just in case...

halo eighteen
03-10-2020, 08:43 PM
https://forum.themojavetent.com/forum/main-forum/rumors-gossip-wishlist/4613-octoberchella-2020-who-s-in-and-who-s-out-rumors-and-confirmations

This is going to be a great resource for tracking which artists will remain on board.

GulDukat
03-11-2020, 06:56 PM
I dont know whats worse, the hipster electronic shit hop Coachella lineup aimed at Hollywood posers or the geezers of metal lineup at Hellfest. Take a look at that lineup, it looks like a metal fest from 1978. Kiss? ZZ Top? Def Leppard? Whitesnake? Lynrd Skynrd? Is AARP sponsoring that festival? Then you throw on top of that colossal shit like Sum 41, Stone Temple Pilots, and Slash...What a shitshowI know I'm late for this but that Hellfest lineup looks awesome. Too bad I missed it, but I am seeing Whitesnake with Sammy Hagar with opening act Night Ranger this summer. I'm 40 now, man, I just don't give a shit if I sound like a dork that's totally out of touch.

BTW, STP and Slash still rule.

halo eighteen
03-18-2020, 08:04 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51942898

Glastonbury is canceled; tickets will roll over to 2021 or have refunds available.

bobbie solo
03-19-2020, 12:40 AM
and Bonnaroo got pushed back to the fall. I imagine all those buttrock festivals put on by the same guy that Metallica was gonna headline this May/June in the US will be postponed soon too.

halo eighteen
04-10-2020, 05:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwilAja7Lc

Amazing official documentary, but fuck them for the really appropriate-timed takedown of Biden in the in the first hour of it. *thumbs up guys*

versusreality
04-11-2020, 09:59 AM
I'm about an hour in, this is an AWESOME documentary so far. loved the 80's/90's footage pre-Coachella days. That Organic Fest has some of my all time favorite bands all on one bill, holy shit! And seeing professional level quality of the early years of the festival is great. THAT'S what Coachella needs to release on youtube now!!

Jinsai
01-13-2022, 10:49 AM
after a 2-year hiatus, Coachella is back baby! Lineup has been announced, and holy shit, you could not pay me to go to this.

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/61df93af6c322b7123e69bd5/master/w_1600,c_limit/unnamed%20(7).jpg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-13-2022, 11:07 AM
MY LORD, those headliners.

allegro
01-13-2022, 11:27 AM
Eh that looks so boring.

sonic_discord
01-13-2022, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that lineup is a pile of hot garbage. The only bands I'd care to see are Run the Jewels (Though I just saw them at Riot Fest and unless it gets cancelled, I'll see them with Rage in May), Hot Chip, and Danny Elfman (I don't know his stuff outside of movie scores and "True," but I'd be interested in checking him out).

Endlessly
01-14-2022, 01:09 AM
The only thing I'm really upset about is that this appears to be Stromae's only US show so far. At least Epik High has some club dates...

Jord
01-14-2022, 03:58 AM
I saw this on Facebook yesterday and assumed it was another one of those parody lineups, alas it's not.

GulDukat
01-14-2022, 12:09 PM
after a 2-year hiatus, Coachella is back baby! Lineup has been announced, and holy shit, you could not pay me to go to this.

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/61df93af6c322b7123e69bd5/master/w_1600,c_limit/unnamed%20(7).jpg

Clearly they are going for a younger crowd. Usually don't they have a dinosaur like Guns N' Roses or the RHCP headline one of the days?

sonic_discord
01-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Clearly they are going for a younger crowd. Usually don't they have a dinosaur like Guns N' Roses or the RHCP headline one of the days?

They're not "dinosaurs" like GNR, but Rage Against the Machine was originally supposed to headline the first day.

GulDukat
01-14-2022, 01:05 PM
They're not "dinosaurs" like GNR, but Rage Against the Machine was originally supposed to headline the first day.

RATM's self-titled debut was released 30 years ago. I was thinking the other day how well it's held up.

DVYDRNS
01-30-2022, 09:35 PM
So much for alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro