12-24-2011, 04:35 AM
sharingan‪!

xmd 5a
12-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Evangelion.

/thread

liquidcalm
12-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Been on an anime kick lately.. Just watched Arriety, which was lovely. Film4 are doing a season of Ghibli films, so also caught Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and intend on watching Ponyo tomorrow. Also picked up the two Eden of the East movies and finally remembered the name of one I saw yeeears ago on Sci -Fi (with much googling) called Wings of the Honnemaise which was lovely, so thats on my to watch list.
Yay!

littlemonkey613
12-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Just watched Howls Moving Castle! Howl <3

Also been rather obsessed with Death Note lately. Can't wait to see what Shane Black does with the American film.

Frozen Beach
12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
I've took a break from watching anime, but what I like:
Anything Satoshi Kon has done
Everything I've seen from Hayao Miyazaki
Hideaki Anno's series Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gunbuster
Death Note
Diebuster
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Serial Lain Experiment
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Ghost Hound(Well, I liked elements of it.)
Grave Of The Fireflies

There are some more, but they seem to have slipped my mind...

aggroculture
12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
There's four weeks of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli at the IFC in NYC: http://www.ifccenter.com/series/castles-in-the-sky-miyazaki-takahata-the-masters-of-studio-ghibli/
I am going to see three films on Wednesday.

jhulud
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
A few favorites:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (psyched for the Rebuild series so far)
Ghost In The Shell
Anything and everything from Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli
Anything Leiji Matsumoto
Cutey Honey
Devil Hunter Yohko
All-Purpose Natural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop

orestes
12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Been on an anime kick lately.. Just watched Arriety, which was lovely. Film4 are doing a season of Ghibli films, so also caught Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and intend on watching Ponyo tomorrow. Also picked up the two Eden of the East movies and finally remembered the name of one I saw yeeears ago on Sci -Fi (with much googling) called Wings of the Honnemaise which was lovely, so thats on my to watch list.
Yay!

Ponyo is such a cute movie. I love Studio Ghibli's stuff. I have the biggest grin on my face every time I watch My Neighbor Totoro.

I don't watch as much anime like I used to but I've started re-watching Sailor Moon. Fruits Basket is a good one, too.

EPICRAGE
12-28-2011, 07:00 AM
For me, anime does not get any better than the series BERSERK. I've watched the series at least five times and I've started reading through the manga to see how the series would have played out if it continued. There are also three animated movies due out next year which goes over the same material covered in the anime and hopefully more. Any other fans of BERSERK?

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
BUMP! I almost started a new thread, but thankfully, the search function works on the new ETS. :P Anyway, Funimation has a big sale going on on iTunes right now, and they have a few freebies (in full-blown HD!) as well.

http://www.funimation.com/rojas/blog/huge-funimation-sale-on-itunes-for-comic-con/4092551 (Just click the link to iTunes in the blog post)

There are a lot of discounts, but I've never been too keen on paying money for a digital version of something if I can avoid it. The freebies seem to be geared toward new anime fans, being first episodes of a few shows. The list of freebies includes Trigun, FLCL, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, Black Butler, and Fairy Tail. I haven't seen any of those last three, and only parts of Brotherhood, so I'll be jumping on this for sure.

As far as new anime goes, I just finished Eden of the East, plus the first movie, and started Gurren Lagaan about a week ago.

Edit - Also, I guess that sale ends tonight, so get on it!

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Fuck it, I'll double post. The nostalgia's oozing out of my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwTAYM7VsyY

"Now he'll have to deal with bounty hunters, ancient demons, mad scientists, and...SHARED BATHROOM TIME."

sa_nick
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
My top recommendations...

Kino's Jouney - Philosophical drama/action
Mushishi - Beautiful drama
Azumanga Diaoh - Awesome comedy
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - Coming of age/Music
Haibane Renmei - Another beautiful drama
Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei - Crazy comedy, sometimes dark, always hilarious
Now and Then, Here and There - Classic drama/action
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu - A really cute but utterly surreal comedy

Death Note, of course. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is worth checking out, I prefer watching it in chronological order. Cowboy Bebop, Chobits, FLCL, Hellsing, Fruits Basket, Elfel Lied, Ghost in the Shell, Darker than Black, Welcome to the NHK, Dennou Coil, Serial Experiments Lain and the anime that got me into all anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Who doesn't love it?

As for movies there's the obvious Ghibli collection (including 'From Kokuriko Hill', the latest release, which I think is their best since 'Spiritied Away' which is at least 10 years old now). Satoshi Kon's stuff is all good too. 'Paprika' (like Inception but better), 'Tokyo Godfathers', 'Perfect Blue' and 'Millennium Actress'. Makoto Shinkai's ''The Place Promised in our Early Days' and '5 Centimetres Per Second' are both good, as are Momoru Hosoda's 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' and 'Summer Wars'.

xmd 5a
07-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Perfect Blue is amazing, one of my all-time favourite films of any genre/medium. RIP Kon :(

Also seconding The Place Promised... and 5cm Per Second. Voices from A Distant Star is similarly touching/visually stunning and especially impressive due to it being essentially a solo effort by Shinkai IIRC.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I feel so out of the loop. Perfect Blue is on my watch list, I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I haven't even finished Akira! I feel ashamed to admit it. But soon...

I'm really digging this thread right now, because I'm essentially a Cartoon Natwork anime fan. :P Not in the sense that I like the newer ones geared toward children and void of value, but I grew up on Toonami and Adult Swim, and for the longest time, didn't explore much outside of that. It doesn't help that anyone else that I know outside of maybe five people are interested in anime, heh. I even had one friend say, and I quote, "I don't like anime because when I think of anime, I think of really stupid fat people wearing animal hats. So it just seems really stupid to me." So....yeah. I'm gonna introduce her to Bebop, which has always been my go-to anime (along with Trigun) for new fans. If she can't get into either of those, all is lost.

I did have another friend turn me on to Eden of the East and Gun X Sword, though, and I'm really digging those so far. Finished Eden, along with the first movie. I'll definitely be using this thread for reference once I get Gurren Lagann and Gun X Sword out of the way. :P

sa_nick
07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I did have another friend turn me on to Eden of the East

I bought my brother Eden of the East for his bday a while back. It looked good. You reminded me I need to borrow it off him sometime :D

blassster
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I tried watching some Naruto nearly 10 years ago, and I couldn't get into it after trying 30-40 episodes. Since then I never really gave anime a real chance until February/March this year when I watched Elfen Lied, and LOVED it. Guess I just needed to find the right series/genre/tone or something, so for anime there's a whole sea of undiscovered stuff for me. Since then I've acquired some more stuff (e.g. Ghost in the Shell, Blood, Akira) but haven't watched anything yet because I'm battling a bad vertigo/dizziness relapse.

Edit: well, in elementary school I'd watch the North American versions of Pokemon and Sailor Moon on TV... but maybe I wouldn't really count that since I was young, didn't watch them regularly, and they were not the original versions.

sa_nick
08-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I tried watching some Naruto nearly 10 years ago, and I couldn't get into it after trying 30-40 episodes. Since then I never really gave anime a real chance

Yeah, you need to find the right thing for you. Anime isn't a genre, its a really specific term. I never got into comic book cartoon (batman, spidey, etc) when i was young and i certainly never got into any naruto/one piece/dragon ball shit. All that stuff is just hours and hours of garbage. There's so many good titles out there that have more to offer than some poorly drawn action sequences and corny dialogue. That shit might fly when your 10, but once you 16+ you need something more.

kdrcraig
08-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I have a question for you anime fans. Is The Big O not considered that popular/good of an anime series? I haven't watched much anime, really just Cowboy Bebop a ton of times, The Big O a few times and some episodes of Trigun, but anytime I look in an anime thread on the net no one ever mentions The Big O and I freaking love that series.

orestes
08-03-2012, 09:26 AM
I used to watch it on Adult Swim, along with Inuyasha.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I loooved Big O! I never got a chance to watch it in full sequence, though. Always missed an episode or caught reruns. I think I've seen a majority of the show. I just need to sit an watch it all in order. :P

Blah. I really liked Inuyasha for a while, but now I cringe any time it's on. That one just seemed to age like milk, to me.

sa_nick
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I never saw Big O, I don't think it's style quite grabbed me. I did see a lot of it in AMV's back in the day when youtube didn't exist, animemusicvideos.org was the place to be and AMV's weren't filled with a buncha crappy effects or lip REsyncing.

thelastdisciple
08-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I was always into the lame anime, but i guess probably it was just the most accessible stuff for me.

Visions of Escaflowne
Gundam Wing
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Last Exile

I like a lot of the non-serial anime like just one off movies and what not... My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Steamboy, Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina, Vexille

kdrcraig
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Ok so I'm not crazy thinking Big O is freaking awesome. Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna watch that and Cowboy Bebop again.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I was always into the lame anime, but i guess probably it was just the most accessible stuff for me.

Visions of Escaflowne
Gundam Wing
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Last Exile

I'm kinda in the same boat. When I talk to anime of my anime friends, they kinda roll their eyes because the majority of what I'm familiar with is whatever was on cartoon network. :P I'm definitely glad I branched out, though. I still hold Bebop and Trigun as two of my favorites - probably because they're so similar in so many ways, too. Gundam Wing was a favorite growing up, and I LOVED Endless Waltz, but it's been so long since I've seen either one that I can hardly remember many details.

ImTheWiseJanitor
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't know if anyone else is watching, but I got a little impatient and skipped ahead to watch the season finale of Deadman Wonderland before it airs next weekend. I've gotta say, I REALLY hope we get a season 2. I might start reading the manga once I get a few other books on my list out of the way, but that ending leaves too much left to question for there NOT to be a season 2. I was trying to figure out how they would wrap everything up in 24 minutes, but they really only answered a few questions and smoothly segued everything else into one big "to be continued." They even presented a bunch of NEW things that we might not hear more about if season 2 doesn't happen.

Well, I guess a lot of those would probably be answered if I read the manga, but that's beside the point. :P

Conrad Lienert
10-14-2012, 04:50 PM
FINALLY!

The new Evangelion rebuild movie will be released in Japan on 17th November 2012!
I wish I was over there, guess I'll just have to wait for the DVD release.

I'm such a fan, that part of me wishes How To Destroy Angels tied into the whole Evangelion universe somehow.

profane
10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Do you guys watch it subbed or dubbed? I always watch the original but I'd like to know what your take is on dubbed anime, because I feel like I miss a lot of the imagery by reading the subs. Thanks!

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm kinda indifferent. A lot of people are super super picky about watching subs AND ONLY subs. Typically though, I do watch subs if I can, but I'm totally fine with dubs. The only times I really WANT to watch dubs is when it's an older show, from my childhood, and I'm mentally tailored to hearing the characters with dubbed voices. Like, I can't get used to watching Bebop or Trigun with subs because I've always heard them dubbed.

aggroculture
10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Here's my anime question: why has Akira not been topped? No anime full-length I have seen since Akira (which came out in 198fucking8) has come close. Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika: great stuff, but not close to the epic scale and visual impact of Akira. I'd love some recommendations of films you think went beyond Akira...
As for TV anime: I grew up on that stuff (Fist of the North Star, Lupin, DragonBall and dozens of others), but have no time for it now. The newer productions look so cheaply put together...and the Clamp style, or imitations of it, seems to have become ubiquitous.

profane
10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Crunchyroll year subscription. Should I?

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Meh. I've been using crunchy roll just fine for a couple months, just using their free membership. But if you can afford it and think the benefits (whatever they are, I forget) are worth it, then I guess go for it.

Been watching Persona 4 and Guilty Crown lately! I LOVE P4's art style, but Guilty Crown is kinda a slow burner for me so far.

Oh yeah, and I finally saw an episode of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Definitely NOT what I was expecting, but I can dig it.

thelastdisciple
12-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Do you guys watch it subbed or dubbed? I always watch the original but I'd like to know what your take is on dubbed anime, because I feel like I miss a lot of the imagery by reading the subs. Thanks!

With live foreign programming I always go for the natural voices and subtitles as i can't stand hearing vocal tracks that are out of sync with the real person's mouth movements but with animation i take a very different approach because well it's animation... and in my mind any voice that's dubbed in there is completely imaginative of what those characters are supposed to sound like, these characters don't exist so there's nothing definitive.

Obviously if the animation's production is Japanese it's going to be built for their native tongue's structure and naturally the first thing that happens is that there will be some Japanese voice acting, it would fit the best no doubt about that and in regards to authenticity that's what you might want but since anime is a visually dominant experience I want to make sure that i am paying absolute 100% attention to these details, every frame, every action and as such i usually decide against having to pivot my eyes from center screen to the bottom to catch the subtitles in fear that i miss something.

Most of the time I'm too focused on the animation and miss the subtitles anyways because they just fly by so freaking fast, rewinding or pausing to catch anything i might have missed and messing with the pacing of the show and how invested i am would just ruin it for me and honestly if I'm going to want to hear anything audible at all from these programs, to make sense of the story and drama I'm going to want to have it in a language that i understand since I won't be reading the scripture.

EDIT: I just watched the Vampire Hunter D films for the first time, really fantastic stuff!

Presideo
12-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I prefer subs over dubs, mainly because I like watching new anime directly after it's released in Japan and don't wanna wait months or years (or never) for an American company to license, then dub the series. It also seems that most dub studios only hire a small number of voice actors that they constantly use for every release, resulting in severe miscasting and cheesy dialogue compared to the original. Some dubs are great (Baccano, Evangelion, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop), but the majority of them just don't do it for me.

Here's my anime question: why has Akira not been topped? No anime full-length I have seen since Akira (which came out in 198fucking8) has come close. Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika: great stuff, but not close to the epic scale and visual impact of Akira. I'd love some recommendations of films you think went beyond Akira...
Hard to top Akira, but a few movies come close:

5 Centimeters Per Second
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
End of Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell (the original movie)
Memories
Redline
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

As for TV anime: I grew up on that stuff (Fist of the North Star, Lupin, DragonBall and dozens of others), but have no time for it now. The newer productions look so cheaply put together...and the Clamp style, or imitations of it, seems to have become ubiquitous.
Sadly, you're correct - most animation studios only care about creating cheaply-made series with cliche storylines and cookie cutter, self-insert characters (and yes, the Clamp noodle-people style is way too prevalent these days.) There are still innovative studios like KyoAni (Nichijou, Hyouka), Gainax (FLCL, Panty & Stocking) and SHAFT (Bakemongatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Madoka Magica) that make original series with great animation. Still, mediocrity is far too prevalent.

aggroculture
12-18-2012, 10:14 PM
OK I will check out those films.
I don't like Ghost in the Shell much: big disappointment. Masamune Shirow is one of my favourite artists of all time. I find that his manga and the anime derived from them don't live up to his art.

I am really looking forward to checking out the newly-released Berserk: Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King.

xmd 5a
12-18-2012, 10:51 PM

End of Evangelion is about the only one I can think of that is more epic/visually impactful than Akira. YMMV, of course.

I'll throw out a recommendation for an obscure favourite of mine: Angel's Egg. It predates Akira and is light on (explicit) plot, but it is a stunning and profound bit of art.

sa_nick
12-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Getting into Joshiraku, Nodame Cantabile, Steins;Gate and Usagi Drop. All worth checking out, I'd say.

Conrad Lienert
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
With the impending release of Evangelion 3.33, I'm really wanting to revisit the Evangelion series again.

I know the series is very deep, so can anyone recommend any websites, that offer explanations or background to the Evangelion story?

liquidcalm
04-18-2013, 08:38 AM
With the impending release of Evangelion 3.33, I'm really wanting to revisit the Evangelion series again.

I know the series is very deep, so can anyone recommend any websites, that offer explanations or background to the Evangelion story?

There was an excellent epiusode of Retronauts podcast a few months back regarding it, was a pleasure to listen to even though I'm not huge on eva.

I watch Girl Who Leapt through Time again the other night, it's really great, that and Summer Wars are some of my favourite releases as of late.. I need more like that pleeeese.
Oh and my wife finally got back our DVD of Kino's Journey. Another beautiful, subtle yet engrossing series.

nemesiswontdie
04-18-2013, 08:42 AM

I have heard nothing but great things about Evangelion so I started watching it and I'm on episode 3 and so far I like it a lot. Plan on watching more today at some point. Are the past movies any good or should I stay away from them?

Space Suicide
04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Am I alone here when I say I love Yu Yu Hakusho? I hope not. Besides Dragonball franchise that is definitely my favorite manga/anime.

nemesiswontdie
04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Am I alone here when I say I love Yu Yu Hakusho? I hope not. Besides Dragonball franchise that is definitely my favorite manga/anime.

No way you're alone. YYH was kick ass. I have the first season on DVD. It's been awhile since I've watched it, but yeah, I love that anime.

Space Suicide
04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
No way you're alone. YYH was kick ass. I have the first season on DVD. It's been awhile since I've watched it, but yeah, I love that anime.

They have DVD season sets of it? Why did I now know of this? I haven't seen it in close to 8 years at least. I need to get my hands on those sometime soon.

nemesiswontdie
04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
They have DVD season sets of it? Why did I now know of this? I haven't seen it in close to 8 years at least. I need to get my hands on those sometime soon.

Pretty cheap too.
http://www.amazon.com/Yu-Hakusho-Ghost-Complete-Season/dp/B000F6ZIFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366296254&sr=8-2&keywords=yu+yu+hakusho

Conrad Lienert
04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
There was an excellent epiusode of Retronauts podcast a few months back regarding it, was a pleasure to listen to even though I'm not huge on eva.

I watch Girl Who Leapt through Time again the other night, it's really great, that and Summer Wars are some of my favourite releases as of late.. I need more like that pleeeese.
Oh and my wife finally got back our DVD of Kino's Journey. Another beautiful, subtle yet engrossing series.

Awesome, thanks for that. Do you know what episode number it was?

Summer Wars was a fantastic movie too!

Conrad Lienert
04-18-2013, 07:50 PM
I have heard nothing but great things about Evangelion so I started watching it and I'm on episode 3 and so far I like it a lot. Plan on watching more today at some point. Are the past movies any good or should I stay away from them?

Evangelion is such an awesome series! I've watched the whole series 3 times and I still get something out of it. My first taste of Eva was The End of Evangelion, so I did it all backwards. It takes a while to get through the original series and the ending is both perplexing and bemusing (don't let this discourage you though!). That is why they brought out 2 other "Ending" movies, Death & Rebirth (which I haven't seen yet) AND End of Evangelion (An awesome movie and much better ending to the series).

Also, they have been releasing Rebuild Movies of the Evangelion series. These are a recap/retelling of the original series. They are beautifully made and very enjoyable. The 3rd one that is coming out, looks epic!

So, all in all, I highly recommend the series! You should keep going with the original series, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out the Rebuild Movies, they are more like an overview/fast-forward through the series. Enjoy!

aggroculture
04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
From the trailer Summer Wars looks awesome: I must check it out.

Recently watched the new Berserk movie: it's OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu3Nl94IjVk

littlemonkey613
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Del Toro adapting Monster for HBO....http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-working-on-hbo-series-based-on-manga-monster/

holy fuck....my favorite anime ever, probably 2nd favorite show of all time.

Presideo
05-14-2013, 02:00 PM

The image below gives you a good understanding of what is actually going on in the series (huge spoilers to anyone why hasn't watched the series)

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/4237/1353463620567.png

It takes a while to get through the original series and the ending is both perplexing and bemusing (don't let this discourage you though!). That is why they brought out 2 other "Ending" movies, Death & Rebirth (which I haven't seen yet) AND End of Evangelion (An awesome movie and much better ending to the series).

Also, they have been releasing Rebuild Movies of the Evangelion series. These are a recap/retelling of the original series. They are beautifully made and very enjoyable. The 3rd one that is coming out, looks epic!

'Death & Rebirth' is actually a recap of the series, along with the first half of The End of Evangelion. There's really no reason to watch it if you've seen The End of Eva. And yes, episodes 25 & 26 of the original series are almost too abstract to watch. Glad they made a 'true' ending with The End of Evangelion!

Also, the Rebuild movies are actually a sequel to the original, not a 1:1 recap/retelling of the original story. The first movie is almost completely the same as the original, but parts of 2.22 and all of 3.33 deviate greatly from the original. Watched 3.33 recently and it was pretty damn good, though very depressing....

Conrad Lienert
05-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Awesome, thanks! I'll read through it after work.

I was a bit fucked off (mainly with myself) with my DVD of 3.33. I didn't know that it wasn't going to have English subtitles! But, at least I could enjoy it, visually. It was also fun to try and guess what was going on. Does anyone know when an english subtitle release will be available???

hollowed_point
05-14-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of NGE, but I have to say that the ending to the series as well as the End of Evangelion sort of threw me for a loop and for some reason I never bothered to look online for interpretations of the story. Also, learning about the history of the timeline in the series was difficult for me as it's all so disjointed and somewhat hard to follow at times. That synopsis that you posted, Presideo, was phenomenal. Thanks for that, I enjoyed reading it.

sa_nick
05-15-2013, 12:46 AM

*thumbs up for Kino... Awesome series.

slave2thewage
10-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Recommendations, please. I'm watching Evangelion (through the first 7 episodes) and I loved Full Metal Alchemist, but that's all I've seen. I'm thinking about Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

Halo Infinity
10-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Perhaps it was just a mere change of interests, but I used to be more big on anime back in the early 2000s. I still remember getting into Slayers. I miss watching that show. This particular scene just stuck with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfSVfeeTzw

Here's the theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdtEXexKns

I think I also still have some love for Outlaw Star. *Sigh* The power of nostalgia. It's taking me back to high school again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDwd4KK1SUQ

Ax Mr. L
10-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Recommendations, please. I'm watching Evangelion (through the first 7 episodes) and I loved Full Metal Alchemist, but that's all I've seen. I'm thinking about Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.
If you watched the original FMA series I'd recommend the FMA: Brotherhood, which is better in my opinion. Also other series I've enjoyed a lot and would recommend to check out: Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate.

littlemonkey613
10-13-2013, 11:56 PM
^Attack on Titan and SteinsGate are both fantastic. Will def check out Fate/Zero

MrsMeowMeow
10-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.

wight rabbit
10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Anyone have recommendations for shows/films similar to Ergo Proxy? I never really got into anime full-on, but I thoroughly enjoyed Ergo Proxy.

Edit: Whoa! I didn't notice the comment above mine prior to posting.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Trigun. I cannot recommend Trigun enough to anybody, especially people who are interested in/already seen Cowboy Bebop - mainly because those have been two of my all-time favorites since the Toonami/early Adult Swim years, so I can't think of one without thinking of the other, heh. I love the space western settings, despite both of them being radically different stories, and the music in both is top notch, both with soundtracks that get heavy rotation in my collection on the daily. Not to mention they've been two of the shows that have probably impacted me as a person more than any other anime I can think of.

Both Bebop and Trigun also have a movie out, which are basically hour-and-a-half-long versions of episodes, in a good way. One could watch them stand-alone and still follow along really well, but it's nice to be familiar with the universe so you can pick up on all the little things.

fillow
10-19-2013, 03:32 PM
My ultimate recommendation would be: Ghost in the Shell.
People generally more familiar with the movie, but I think Stand Alone Complex series is by far the best anime I've seen.
(Before you ask, it's not a sequel or prequel to the movies, but rather a different manga adaptation)

rhet
10-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I love cowboy bebop and trigun so much and definitely second that recommendation. Ergo Proxy is one of my other favorites..it's stunningly beautiful if nothing else.

littlemonkey613
10-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.

Some of these recommendations aren't precisely what you are asking for but I'm a huge NGE and Steinsgate fan so.../ forgive me if you've seen some of these

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - its just great. Plot driven but the characters are all complex and wonderful and it honestly does give you a lot to think about. Grotesque and dark in places too. Better than the original in my opinion.

Elfen Lied - So fucked up, deeply psychological, very sad but also touching, futuristic sci fi setting for sure but sort of a small story in an interesting way

Baccano! - This anime is AMAZING. The only piece of storytelling ive seen that truly has no main characters or main plot. It takes the idea of an "ensemble cast" to a whole new level. In a way this anime is a deconstruction of the philosophical idea of a story itself. It's a bit confusing in the beginning but if you start, stick with it. Its truly one of a kind.

Gurren Lagan - Has my favorite art of any anime ever. Futuristic, mecha, philosophical as balls as well. Story really takes into account the possibilities of understanding quantum mechanics, and what it means to live in a world with set systems, that can be controlled once understood. I'm giving a weird description. Underneath all that its really a story about heart and not giving up. Great stuff.

Death Note - Pretty mainstream and an obvious pick, but I always think its worth mentioning in case anyone hasn't heard of it/ isn't that familiar with anime. Ive seen a lot of anime and this one is still superior than most in my opinion. I can watch it over and over.

Monster - My favorite anime of all time. Sort of a slow burner, but a masterpiece in my opinion. This is the thriller. Deeply psychological and political. I don't want to say anything about the plot b/c I went into it cold but it is essentially "No good deed goes unpunished" fully realized as a concept.

Code Geass - sci-fi/mecha/political The art can be offputting because its more in that cutesy style than the others listed, however the story is mature, can get very dark and I think the way the series grows is really fantastic. Great ending too and one of the most interesting protagonists in anime.

Attack on Titan -If your not watching this right now, WATCH. It just finished its first season. Also best to go in this one cold, but if you like being unsettled and entertained....

MrsMeowMeow
10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
thank you!
I know elfenlied, attack on titan and death note already... but I'll definitly check out the rest :)

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm juuust about done with Blue Exorcist! It's pretty good, too. Still don't dig the whole "let's make every character barely 15 and not even mention it until halfway through the show" rule of anime, but that's just a trope thing.

Presideo
11-02-2013, 12:40 AM
You'll probably enjoy Madoka Magica - it masquerades as a lighthearted, Sailor Moon-esque 'magical girls' series on the surface, but gets much darker as the series progresses. It has similar time travel elements that made Steins;Gate enthralling, along with the gut-wrenching despair of NGE. The animation and direction (done by SHAFT, my favorite animation studio) is also very unique. I'd recommend watching the two Madoka films made recently - it has everything the TV series had, but with some animation upgrades.

I'd also recommend Fate/Zero - it's from the same guy that wrote Madoka, and has similar plot elements, but told in a vastly different way.

Callahan
02-08-2014, 09:40 PM
I haven't watched an anime series in years, but this past week I decided to pick a random on on Netflix, and started watching Attack on Titan. This show is damn good! Was instantly hooked on this one! highly recommend checking out this series.

profane
02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
I haven't watched an anime series in years, but this past week I decided to pick a random on on Netflix, and started watching Attack on Titan. This show is damn good! Was instantly hooked on this one! highly recommend checking out this series.

It's a fantastic series indeed. Amazing in every way. I second your post with all the power within me. In all seriousness, this one comes highly recommended.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Seconded on Attack on Titan! It gets crazy later in the show. You can see a couple things coming, but it throws some good curve balls. I'm really hoping to read the books once I can get them and see where the source material goes in comparison to the show.

Anyone else feel like .Hack//SIGN could have been considerably improved if they'd just handled it a little better? I love the series, but I feel like the dubs could have been better, the animation doesn't match anyone's voice. Like they're speaking really emphatically about something and just kinda casually standing there with maybe one quick movement - like someone with bad body language. I dunno. Part of me wants to see it redone in the future, but on the other hand, Sword Art Online seems to have taken its place.

sa_nick
02-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Tried watching Hack Sign with subs? Everything is better with subs.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Oh, hell yeah. Subs are almost always better. I guess I was speaking more in regard to the English dub than the series as a whole. But also, the animation seems to cheaply done sometimes.

I feel like only a handful of anime sound better with dub tracks, and that could mostly be attributed to having grown up watching them on Toonami or Adult Swim. I can't watch Cowboy Bebop or Trigun with subs.

sa_nick
02-13-2014, 01:18 AM
I used to be like that with Neon Genesis but I think I just started watching it with subs one time out of habbit with other shows and now I can't stand the english dub of that either, lol.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-13-2014, 01:33 AM
I used to be like that with Neon Genesis but I think I just started watching it with subs one time out of habbit with other shows and now I can't stand the english dub of that either, lol.

I feel like a lot of that happens somewhere in translation. There are just some things that sound better in Japanese than they do in English. But with Bebop and Trigun, everything fits well, there aren't any awkward "huh, that probably makes more sense in Japanese" moments. It happens once in a while, but now when I'm watching something for the first time, I generally go with subs, too. Aside from Space Dandy - and that's mainly because it's being simulcast in English AND Japanese, and it's just easier for me to flip the channel and watch that way. Most of my anime gets watched on DVDs I borrow from work or on the internet in one way or another.

Millionaire
03-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Just finished watching the new Berserk movies. As a fan of the 90's show and the manga, I enjoyed the hell out of these. The bigger budget and the movie format give the story a very epic, cinematic scope. I wish they could make more movies or a show that continues the story past where the demons show up, but this is still a welcome retelling of the beginning. I also noticed while watching these what an influence Berserk had on the Dark Souls games.

If this was ever made into a live action movie it would, possibly, be the most violent and insane depiction of medieval warfare ever put on screen. It would never happen, but I would love to see one directed by Ridley Scott or Mel 'Banned From Hollywood' Gibson. Its the type of anime adaptation Hollywood should make, but they always pick the properties that don't translate well into film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p286WtHoK2g

thelastdisciple
03-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Waiting for the Attack on Titan dub.

Seen some clips and it's def looking good.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Waiting for the Attack on Titan dub.

Seen some clips and it's def looking good.

I managed to nab some of the manga from the library the other night, and I plan on barreling through them today. I'm on-call for a week as of last night, so it's not like I have much else I can do while I sit and wait. Interestingly, the first volume of the manga is not only EXACTLY like the first few episodes of the anime, but I feel like they actually included more in the anime than what was in the manga. They could've just bumped a few things up for exposition for the sake of the format, though. Either way, I'm excited, because the manga's story is coming up on being twice as far ahead of the anime.

Also, if any of you guys and gals are fans of Gurren Lagann and haven't been watching Kill La Kill, DO IT. It's from the same team, has the same energy, and gets just as weird in some places, if not more. The music's stellar, too! There are a couple parts later on that get a little further "out there" than necessary, but I chalk it up to anime being anime. I mean, in general, the concept of the story is strange, but they do the same thing GL did and build a universe in which that's conceivable. Anyway, you can see it on Hulu and Crunchyroll (both of which are free if you're watching on PC!) right now. I heard it's supposed to go for 25 episodes, and they just released episode 23 the other day. Just a couple more weeks until you can marathon the whole thing, if you choose to do so!

gorast
03-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Kill la Kill is too fucking good. The series just ended on Thursday, but there's a bonus episode taking place after the series coming out in September.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Kill la Kill is too fucking good. The series just ended on Thursday, but there's a bonus episode taking place after the series coming out in September.

It ended?? I totally didn't see that 24th episode was up until you said something, haha. I know what I'm about to do.

Everyone, ignore what I said above! Watch that shit now! :P

Edit: YESSSS. They hit it out of the park again. What a crazy show.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Alright, so I feel like I need to ask - What are people's thoughts on Sword Art Online?

I finished it yesterday after watching it for a few days in my off-time, and while I thought the first half was spectacular, I feel like the second half really, REALLY went off the deep end, almost right away, but then it brought itself back about halfway through and finished on a good note.

The incest subplot was kinda interesting, and I'm glad that it ended without going "there" exactly, I feel like they tried to do one thing and then quickly realized how negatively people were receiving all the changes in the show and tried to veer back on course before the season ended, but I don't know what the development cycle for this show was like, so I guess I can't say that with absolute certainty.

Season 2 is looking interesting, though!

littlemonkey613
05-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Alright, so I feel like I need to ask - What are people's thoughts on Sword Art Online?

I thought the premise was fantastic and super creepy but yeah I agree if fell apart in the second half. I thought it worked in the beginning b/c the stakes are so high. Also, the romance plot bugged me a lot. It was cute and sweet at times but the focus was too... much. You're right though the end got better.

somethingelse
09-09-2014, 10:56 PM
Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?

henryeatscereal
09-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Anime virgin here. Who are some notable directors/creators, or where is a nice franchise to start?
Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...

somethingelse
09-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Thank you. I'll check them out. I recall Toei Animation (checking out their wiki page now) from the Dragonball series and had no idea of the volume of work O.O

henryeatscereal
09-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Thank you. I'll check them out. I recall Toei Animation (checking out their wiki page now) from the Dragonball series and had no idea of the volume of work O.O
Dragon Ball is very long, i just like the part till Goku becomes an adult, but Dragon Ball Z has many fans, watched parts of "Dragon Ball GT" but to be honest i gave up after "Z" ended...

somethingelse
09-10-2014, 12:04 AM
I also stopped watching halfway through GT, it didn't get me hooked like Z did.

Okay my beginning list is:
Vampire Hunter D
Metropolis
Spirited Away
The Wind Rises

&

Robotics;Notes
Vandread
Neon Genesis

Space Suicide
09-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT

Yu Yu Hakusho

That's all.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Depends on your taste really but anything by Osamu Tezuka, Hayao Miyazaki and Toei Animation will do...
Also check essential anime movies like: "Akira", "Ghost in the Shell", "Spirited Away", "Ninja Scroll", "Vampire Hunter D", "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Metropolis" (by Katsuhiro Otomo).

And Mostly: watch Evangelion...

I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.

Anyway, I'm starting JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, after one of my favorite youtuber/podcasters mentioning it time and time again. This shit is AWESOME.It's so over-the-top and crazy and intense. One of the early characters is named Robert E. O. Speedwagon. REO SPEEDWAGON. And apparently the names just get even crazier as the show goes on.

henryeatscereal
10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
I can't let you start watching anime without recommending three that played a huge part in me growing to love anime - Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo (the latter two are both created by Shinichiro Watanabe, who's had a hand in making several other successful anime. There's also FLCL, which is only 6 episodes long, but the music in all of these anime is what really defines their tone and attitude, and FLCL has awesome music in spades.

Speaking of which - In case anyone's curious, Cowboy Bebop is being released on blu-ray, with a couple of awesome special editions full of commentary, a bonus short, script reading, and other stuff. One is a Funimation exclusive, and comes with a couple mini art books and stuff like that, and the other is an Amazon exclusive, which comes in a case that looks like a fucking VINYL RECORD SLEEVE and some art cards. I bought both. No shame.

Good recommendations, i really like "Cowboy Bebop" it's actually my second favorite Anime right behind "Evangelion", didn't knew about the Blu Ray editions, damn, they do sound great!, i think i'll buy the "Vinyl edition", i already own the series on DVD but gladly buy again because it's that good!

Space Suicide
03-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Necro quote but I watched it on Adult Swim the other night and enjoyed it. I'd love to buy the show if I could but $40.00 for 4 episodes on blu-ray is a goddamn fucking straight up ripoff! WTF!

Resurrecting this thread to state I'm getting more into this genre than I ever did. I only ever initially liked Dragon Ball, Z and GT along with Yu Yu Hakusho.

I just got into Cowboy Bebop. Why the fuck did I wait so long?! I'm tempted to buy that glorious blu-ray because I know I'm going to fall in love with it. I loved the first session, like within minutes.

Jon
04-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Vampire Hunter D officially announced for Blu-ray; Bloodlust to follow this year. (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16618)

orestes
04-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Recent viewings:
Princess Jellyfish
Puella Magi Madoka Magica- a dark spin on the Magical Girl trope
Ouran High School Host Club- shut up!

Space Suicide
04-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Just went on a small spending spree for anime. Bought blu-ray season sets of DBZ (1, 2, 3), DBZ: Battle of the Gods, The complete Series of Cowboy Bebop on blu-ray, along with its movie also on blu-ray, season 1 of Yu Yu Hakusho, again blu-ray and a DVD copy of season one of Space Dandy.

Yepppp.

gorast
04-25-2015, 12:48 AM
I've been watching The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki lately. I like the idea of Haruhi characters separated from their sci-fi/fantasy aspects, but I also was given the impression that Nagato would be the focus of the series, and yet Haruhi's already burst in by episode 3 and is starting to feel like the focus of the series. I really hope it doesn't take that direction - Nagato's far more interesting in this setting than Haruhi.

Waiting on Digimon Adventure Tri to start, and also for Kizumonogatari. I have no idea when Kizu comes out, though - I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I think some other Monogatari series is coming out before, but there's never any English information about any of them so it's really hard to tell.
orestes , Princess Jellyfish and Madoka are the shit. Good picks.

littlemonkey613
04-25-2015, 01:44 AM
waiting on digimon adventure tri to start

i am so excited

orestes
06-13-2015, 11:17 AM
How am I just now discovering Ranma 1/2?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd129Vla0Q

Piko
07-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Going to bump this because I finished watching Plastic Memories. Holy fuck that was a sad series. Been going through a huge anime phase as of late (durarara, sao, etc.).

Space Suicide
07-02-2015, 12:25 AM
I need to buy more Yu Yu Hakusho seasons. I only own season one's blu ray. I haven't seen the show in sooooooooo long. I wanna dive into it in such a bad way too. I originally watched the uncut episodes on Adult Swim when they originally debuted on CN like 13 or more years ago? Whoa shit.

I bought the blu-ray seasons of Attack on Titan too but haven't decided to delve into it like a madman yet! I also gave a blind buy when getting the first season of Black Butler on blu-ray as well.

I'm slowly increasing my anime sets but not by much. I'm selective when it comes to anime and it really doesn't help that getting some of these shows is so outrageously overpriced it isn't funny.

kdrcraig
07-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Cowboy Bebop The Complete Series is the deal of the day on Amazon today. Over 20 bucks cheaper than what I paid when it released, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_11650949011_gbrc_tit_r-1_6742_9bf0d93f?rh=i%3Amovies-tv%2Cn%3A11650949011%2Cn%3A11650949011&ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&node=11650949011

orestes
07-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Oh my god, thank you! I had credit on my trade-in account so I ended up paying less than a dollar for the blu-ray. :)

Space Suicide
07-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Cowboy Bebop The Complete Series is the deal of the day on Amazon today. Over 20 bucks cheaper than what I paid when it released, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_11650949011_gbrc_tit_r-1_6742_9bf0d93f?rh=i%3Amovies-tv%2Cn%3A11650949011%2Cn%3A11650949011&ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&node=11650949011

i got the blu-ray on eBay for $35.00 and I thought that was a deal. :p

orestes
07-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Has anyone watched Gangsta yet?

Piko
09-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Just finished watching Gangsta. Awesome series. Hopefully gets a second season. Also, just started watching Shimoneta. Holy shit, it's hilarious. And I might start season 2 of Durarara over the weekend.

gorast
10-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I need a new anime to start this season, but I'm not sure what to pick. I mostly watch slice-of-life bullshit, but I could try out an action series too. Leaning towards Hibike! Euphonium, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions?

Space Suicide
10-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I just got both seasons of Space Dandy on blu-ray. It's made by the studio behind Cowboy Bebop. High production values and its super goofy. Give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT6y1f_mPSc

Piko
10-01-2015, 02:38 PM
To this day, I've never seen Cowboy Bebop...

orestes
10-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Piko
10-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Never got around to it. Pretty long list of things I missed.

spiralout
10-02-2015, 02:23 PM
So I watched the live action Attack on Titan last night. Anyone else see this? I found it to be completely pointless and a waste of time and money to whoever made it.

It had potential but the changes made to the story, the shitty CGI and acting ruined it for me.

Piko
10-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Yet to even watch the anime for that. Has anyone seen the live action death note?

henryeatscereal
10-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Yet to even watch the anime for that. Has anyone seen the live action death note?
I did and liked it till the story becomes just about "L" (third movie i think...)

littlemonkey613
10-02-2015, 07:06 PM

meh. watch the attack on titan anime instead since u havent ;)

I hate to say it but I think the American Death Note will fare much better as a film. Typically American adaptations of anime do fucking suck but I do see more potential considering the budgets/ resources we can get. My dream would be for American money to finance Japanese film (think how Harry Potter were really British movies in essence despite being a product of Hollywood and how much charm and cultural woosh it brought to the films.)

Of course budget/ resources doesn't = quality but I do just think there is something that tends to be missing in Japanese live action adaptations that cannot simply be fixed with talent and care, which is the core problem for the American ones, that and pretending the story isn't Japanese which I file under the "care" category.

Presideo
10-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Has anyone watched Gangsta yet?
Good show, though the animation was subpar for an action series - I wish Madhouse would have handled the production; Gangsta had a similar vibe to Black Lagoon, which Madhouse nailed years ago, and could have done a lot more with Gangsta than Manglobe.

I have no idea when Kizu comes out, though - I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I think some other Monogatari series is coming out before, but there's never any English information about any of them so it's really hard to tell.
Kizu is set for January '16 (finally!) and the new trailer looks glorious - also, a new Monogatari season is currently airing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdtWrE9bF8

I need a new anime to start this season, but I'm not sure what to pick. I mostly watch slice-of-life bullshit, but I could try out an action series too. Leaning towards Hibike! Euphonium, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions?
Hibike! Euphonium was great - nice animation (as expected from KyoAni) along with a good mix of comedy and drama.

As for this season, One Punch Man is looking like a winner. The story is a fun satire of the super hero genre and the animation is stellar. Only one episode has aired so far, but it's looking like a good action anime on par with the likes of Kill la Kill!

gorast
10-10-2015, 08:05 PM
One Punch Man seems pretty funny, I'll probably try that out. And I did see the Kizu PV - fucking finally. Haven't started Owari yet, but I'll get on that soon.

Piko
10-10-2015, 08:21 PM
The art style for Gangsta works for that kind of show. Dark, gritty, but simple. Been watching Kaikyu. Not sure what it is, but I like it. Not sure what keeps me going back to it. I don't even like volleyball...

And I finally started Attack on Titan (three episodes in). Not sure what my opinion of it is, yet. The titans are creepy looking though. Some look goofy and even innocent when they really aren't. Big goofy smile, then kills some girl without any thought or hesitation.

aggroculture
11-10-2015, 11:39 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/ff531638d879c5251c5886a87cc46000/tumblr_npkr113H1t1qf94l3o1_500.jpg
OMG I just finished Mind Game. It's on netflix. Watch it. No, get high and watch it.

Space Suicide
11-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Sooooo I was at Best Buy and they had a sale...

I left the store with 3 seasons of Ranma 1/2. :p

19.99. They're beautiful blu-ray box sets. Embossed, accented with gold, sturdy as fuck and full color 60 page episode guides. Now I need the other 4 seasons!

Any fans?

KarenLeslie
11-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Sooooo I was at Best Buy and they had a sale...

I left the store with 3 seasons of Ranma 1/2. :p

19.99. They're beautiful blu-ray box sets. Embossed, accented with gold, sturdy as fuck and full color 60 page episode guides. Now I need the other 4 seasons!

Any fans?

Oh yeah, Ranma's great. I got the first box set for free as a review copy back when I used to work for an anime site, and I'd love to get all the other volumes-- just can't afford it right now. I'm also holding off on the Sailor Moon rerelease in the hopes that they'll eventually release a full-series boxset and I can get the whole thing in one fell swoop.

Btw, here's my review of the first Blu-Ray collection from last year, just for the hell of it:
http://www.japanator.com/review-ranma-1-2-set-1-32535.phtml

kaiouti12
11-28-2015, 08:26 AM
I recommend blue exorcist, Satans son is procured to become an exorcist and take out satan. It quite good.

fillow
12-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Nice reason to rewatch Neon Genesis Evangelion: the original series is supposedly happening during September-December 2015.
Downloading BDRip of it as we speak.

seasonsinthesky
12-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Nice reason to rewatch Neon Genesis Evangelion: the original series is supposedly happening during September-December 2015.
Downloading BDRip of it as we speak.

Has anyone seen the Blurays? Are they horrible like the Akira bluray?

Frozen Beach
12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Has anyone seen the Blurays? Are they horrible like the Akira bluray?
I have not watched them myself, though I have seen screenshot comparisons to past releases and they're not the best they could be. But they are the best release of the series. There's apparently a tint issue with the series, though it's only really noticeable if you're very perceptive, episode 16 looks awful because they lost the original master, and instead of rescanning whatever replacement negative they had, they simply upscaled the 480i scan they did for the past dvd releases, and finally, EOE looks pretty mediocre in every form on the boxset, mostly because I think some of the digital effects they used were of low res at the time.

seasonsinthesky
12-18-2015, 11:30 AM
I have not watched them myself, though I have seen screenshot comparisons to past releases and they're not the best they could be. But they are the best release of the series. There's apparently a tint issue with the series, though it's only really noticeable if you're very perceptive, episode 16 looks awful because they lost the original master, and instead of rescanning whatever replacement negative they had, they simply upscaled the 480i scan they did for the past dvd releases, and finally, EOE looks pretty mediocre in every form on the boxset, mostly because I think some of the digital effects they used were of low res at the time.

... That's brutal. Leliel is one of the best concepts in the series. Depressing.

Space Suicide
02-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Hmmm found Rurouni Kenshin on Netflix so I've been watching that. I always remembered catching bits and pieces way back when but never watched. Why didn't I?!

henryeatscereal
02-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Lately i've been re-watching "Saint Seiya" (A.K.A. The Knights of the Zodiac) and reading the original manga too! (and it has far more blood and gore than the cartoon!)

Space Suicide
03-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Calling fans of old Toonami! I found a rad website that has music mega mixes of the themes, promos and music found on the Toonami blocks! It also has full video downloads of commercial promos and other things relating to just about every anime show they have aired and every bumper they have ever shown. DEFINITELY check it out.

Website - http://www.toonamiarsenal.com

Music - http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/music/

Space Suicide
03-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Meep.

Safe to say I'm the only one bumping this since I'm nerding out currently. Aside from a few posts above I've bought and been watching some stuff due to new blu-ray purchases of mine: Tenchi Muyo!, Full metal Alchemist, Death Note and Trigun (+ Badlands Rumble). I wish that Trigun had a blu-ray release. I only have the film on blu-ray. Tenchi Muyo! looks amazing on blu-ray. I'm debating on if I should buy the film collection for it or not.... Death Note looks great, sooooooooo much better on blu-ray than my DVD version.

Anyone been buying or watching any lately?

KarenLeslie
03-16-2016, 08:34 AM
I need to catch up with about 14 recent and/or currently airing shows. Just finished Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, which was cute, but I always like anime that are about manga, so I'm biased; it might not be interesting if you don't want to watch 12 episodes of people talking about drawing manga. I hear ERASED is really good, so that's next on my list.

Piko
03-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Erased is very, very good. Aside from that, not much else is really grabbing my attention. Dimension W is kinda cool too.

Space Suicide
03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Erased is very, very good. Aside from that, not much else is really grabbing my attention. Dimension W is kinda cool too.

I've caught Dimension W on Toonami/Adult Swim after trying the atrocious DBZ Kai on Saturdays. It's alright. I dropped my attention span on it during the 2nd episode so I'm somewhat confused and out of the loop ha.

Piko
03-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Grimgar is interesting as well. Not much I'd really recommend from the winter season. Erased is a must though. Also been watching Stride (it is what it is). Also Dagashi Kashi (why not?).

Piko
03-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Just caught the finale to Erased. Best anime series I've seen in awhile. Easily the best of the season. Loved it.

Millionaire
03-28-2016, 07:02 AM
2 new seasons of FLCL coming in 2017 and 18. If ya'll haven't seen the first season yet, get on that shit. Its great. Its only 6 episodes, too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-24/toonami-to-co-produce-2-new-flcl-seasons/.100222

Presideo
04-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Not much has been piquing my interest in anime-land recently, but...

Durarara finished up a great (yet inconsistent) run recently. I'd recommend watching the entire series if you're looking for a sci-fi action series that actually has the balls to rely on character interaction more than fight scenes to further it's story.

GATE also had a well-executed run. It basically set-up a scenario of a modern army fighting against a LoTR/GoT-like fantasy world. It sounds stupid on paper, but they did an excellent job of mixing political, ethical, and sociological plot points into the fold.

I'll give Erased a try based on the earlier recommendations. Also, Studio Trigger (Kill la Kill) has a new show, Kiznaiver, set to premiere in a few days. I'm hopeful it turns out good!

Frozen Beach
09-13-2016, 05:18 AM
Looking forward to the new sequel/spinoff to the Death Note movies. Apparently there's going to be a miniseries on Hulu Japan to bridge the 10 year gap between movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wtM0hvI4bs

gorast
09-16-2016, 07:40 PM
The fact that Death Note keeps generating live action shit is crazy. It's been so long since it ended.

Piko
09-17-2016, 09:58 AM
I finally finished death note a few weeks ago. Meh... It is pretty amazing to see it still do its thing after all this time. I'm curious to see what they do. I wasn't a big fan on how they ended the series though.

henryeatscereal
09-17-2016, 06:35 PM
I'm currently watching "One Punch Man" and i'm enjoying it a lot!

Piko
09-17-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm currently watching "One Punch Man" and i'm enjoying it a lot!

It's pretty awesome! It's getting a dub/US release. Hopefully sooner than later. Totally a day one buy for me. Can't wait for season two.

henryeatscereal
09-18-2016, 07:46 PM
It's pretty awesome! It's getting a dub/US release. Hopefully sooner than later. Totally a day one buy for me. Can't wait for season two.
I'm getting the Mangas also, i'm currently on Volume 3, that thing is hysterical!

Piko
09-18-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm getting the Mangas also, i'm currently on Volume 3, that thing is hysterical!

Not the biggest manga fan. But, I might need to check that out.

henryeatscereal
09-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Not the biggest manga fan. But, I might need to check that out.
Me neither, but it's best to get the whole story, the anime is very short and Manga is currently in volume 10, so i guess it's a way to find out what will happen.
I also collect comic books so it's natural, i just don't like mangas because they are so hard to store with my other comics...

orestes
11-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Okay, so who else is watching "Yuri!!! on Ice"?

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
I wasn't entirely sure whether a new thread was necessary - but what are everyone's thoughts on the new Ghost in the Shell adaptation? I'm seeing it tonight, and the majority of reviews/painfully low rotten tomatoes score (44%, as opposed to 'The Boss baby's 48%) are already starting to worry me. I do hear that it's visually incredible, though, so I AM for sure looking forward to that, but I was curious about the opinion of those of us that have seen it, especially in comparison with other GOTS material.

I'd hate to think that this could be the nail in the coffin for any other Western anime adaptations being worked on or considered (Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and countless others).

october_midnight
04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
I wasn't entirely sure whether a new thread was necessary - but what are everyone's thoughts on the new Ghost in the Shell adaptation? I'm seeing it tonight, and the majority of reviews/painfully low rotten tomatoes score (44%, as opposed to 'The Boss baby's 48%) are already starting to worry me. I do hear that it's visually incredible, though, so I AM for sure looking forward to that, but I was curious about the opinion of those of us that have seen it, especially in comparison with other GOTS material.

I'd hate to think that this could be the nail in the coffin for any other Western anime adaptations being worked on or considered (Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and countless others).

We enjoyed it a lot actually. Yes, there were a few plot points, etc. that were kind of eye-rollers but no worse than you'd see in any other movie. Visually, it was un-fucking-believable. We saw it in IMAX 3D but as long as you see it in 3D on a big screen, you're in for a treat.

If you've ever seen the source material, also be warned that it sorta dips from a number of sources...the original series, then you'll see something from the film, then from the second film, and so on. It's sort of an amalgamation. As for the shit reviews, meh it's 2017. These days a movie, more so than ever, can be dead on arrival. For whatever reason, a movie can be magnificent, but if some random Twitter thread starts, then it's done. Must be frightening as shit to be releasing a movie...praying it doesn't happen.

As for the obvious controversy surrounding the 'whitewashing' of ScarJo's casting. MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Shit, even the creator didn't mind. (http://screenrant.com/ghost-shell-publisher-scarlett-johansson-casting/)

I hope you enjoy it!

Jon
04-05-2017, 09:42 AM
It's been a bit since I've found anything worth posting, but Goodwill comes through on this one! I found this for $6.99. For those not familiar, this is a separate dub that they ended up "abandoning". The episodes are censored, but less so than the Funimation/Pioneer releases (most of the "bodily fluids" humor was left in).

http://i63.tinypic.com/262tbb9.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-18-2017, 12:00 AM
So I actually saw Ghost in the Shell tonight after weeks of putting it off for one reason or another.

Yep. Nope. That 46% is a perfectly accurate score for that trash fire. Visually, it was incredible. But purely cosmetically. I HATE to say this, I'm so disappointed. I wanted to walk out after 15 minutes.

I'm not about to type out all my gripes with this movie via my phone, but damn. Unfortunately, was not entertained. :/ Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to bury my hopes of a good Cowboy Bebop movie out in a field somewhere.

Edit: WAS TRICKY EVEN IN THIS MOVIE??? NO.

fillow
04-18-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who actually loved the new Ghost in the Shell.
Yeah, the story was dumbed down a liiittle bit for western audience and maybe a a little too much, so it became practically a cyberpunk version of The Bourne Identity. However, if you ever saw the SAC series, you should remember that Major did have a sort of identity crisis during the Kuze arc, trying to remember her childhood and whether it was real or not. Same thing with corporations using human subjects as an expendable research and experimentation material. It's all there, everything from this film is directly or indirectly taken from the GITS animated universe(s).

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-18-2017, 05:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who actually loved the new Ghost in the Shell.
Yeah, the story was dumbed down a liiittle bit for western audience and maybe a a little too much, so it became practically a cyberpunk version of The Bourne Identity. However, if you ever saw the SAC series, you should remember that Major did have a sort of identity crisis during the Kuze arc, trying to remember her childhood and whether it was real or not. Same thing with corporations using human subjects as an expendable research and experimentation material. It's all there, everything from this film is directly or indirectly taken from the GITS animated universe(s).

I did watch SAC (mostly all of it, still finishing) and the original film (only the first one, though). And I get that changes and American idiosyncrasies are inevitable. But that doesn't explain other things like Major's apparent stompy-stomp robo-walk she carries herself with through the entire movie. Or the writing. There ARE a lot of things there that should be, agreed, but oof. It felt like there was just so much more potential for this film to generate buzz. To be something people actually want to see and talk about. But it was kinda flat. No twist or surprises. Nothing that tickled that sense of "HOLY SHIT CYBERPUNK" outside of the environment, and even then, world-building felt surprisingly minimal considering how much work they put into building such an incredible-looking setting - and it IS incredible.

In fairness, I can't say I ABSOLTELY HATED it, but in all honesty, I doubt I'll be watching it again, and it really bothers me to say that, because I was waiting in this thing for SO long. However, maybe my expectations were just too high. In a world where Bladerunner is a thing that exists, there's no reason we can't have an equally compelling GITS film for a modern audience. Action and sci-fi can absolutely be handled in a way that makes it popular and digestible by your average viewer without being watered down, but this wasn't the way to do it.

We can handle using our think brains good, Hollywood. Don't need to be pandered to nearly this hard.

bobbie solo
05-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Was able to get out to the theatre tonight to catch GitS on the big screen before it presumably is wiped out of theatres completely this weekend by GotG. I liked the movie just fine. It wasn't the best action movie I've ever seen & the story was familiar (b/c so many people ripped GitS off after it first came out), but it was very entertaining. So much to look at the entire movie, the first action sequence was badass, loved the casting for Kuze (I'm a Boardwalk Empire fan) & Scarjo was good in her subtle role and she continues to subvert or try to re-purpose her sexiness in multiple movies recently.

Haysey_Draws
05-10-2017, 06:25 AM
I had my doubts about Ghost in the Shell from the get go (i personally dislike Rupert sanders, think he is an egotistical and over rated prick, but that's just me) and while the film is nice to look at, i found it really dull. Most of the best scenes are shot for shot remakes of the various anime's that came before, made to hit a basic Hollywood vengeance plot. But, again, i'm slightly biased in my opinion (the original movie is one of my top films ever) so take this as you will.

It does make me wonder though, what if that Evangelion film Weta Workshop had worked on in the early 2000's had actually been made...

Haysey_Draws
05-18-2017, 04:10 AM
Watched Fairy Tail Dragon Cry at the cinema last night...

Haven't read the manga in a few years but managed to understand what was happening, but it did remind me why i stopped reading it lol

Animation was sometimes great, the rest of the time below average. Forgot how much Fairy Tail loves boobs :rolleyes: Only worth watching if you're a die hard fan.

MrLobster
04-16-2018, 05:28 PM
So I'm re-watching "Cowboy Bebop" (episode Sympathy For The Devil) and I notice a voice talent named Chick P. Garbanzo. They apparently they also did some work in "Trigun". So, that seems like a alias to me... I wonder who it actually is.

Piko
04-16-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm just ready for FLCL

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-28-2018, 01:25 AM
Funimation just released the artistic concepts for a special edition of Cowboy Bebop they're working on for the 20th year (well, ish) anniversary - all of which include A MOTHERFUCKING GODDAMN VINYL SOUNDTRACK FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER AND I LITERALLY SCREAMED FOR A MOMENT AS I LAY HERE IN BED.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/04/28/funimation-has-some-great-box-sets-planned-for-the-20th-anniversary-of-cowboy-bebop/

"'If' an option gets over 1,000 votes, it will be produced." Right, 'if.'

Dryalex12
10-28-2018, 03:55 PM
WEll im about to revive an old thread

So I actually love a lot of anime but never had time to watch a lot of it...but that changed a few months ago.

An around the end of August, i was bugged by a friend of mine to watch this Anime called Puella Magi Madoka Magica....they wouldn't tell what it was about or anything (as i would later find out, for a good reason), all they said was that "it was really good"

So after being bugged about it, i gave up and i finally watched it, not really thinking i was gonna get much out of it from something like this.

So bear in mind, I knew absolutely nothing about this anime, zero, i went in completely blind which is fucking amazing for 2018, how i never managed to hear anything about it for how popular it was when it came out still puzzles me, but anyways...this is pretty much how things went down for me as i watched it

Edit: Spoiler warning

Ep 1 & 2 "..........This is weird....but im interested"

Ep 3 "JESUS THAT GOT DARK"

Ep 4 - 9 *souls is slowly being crushed into pieces*

Ep 10-11 "yeah that'll do it...*cries*"

Ep 12 *sobbing mess*

So yeah....I got REALLY REALLY emotionally attached, I was not aware of how fucking dark it got, i was not aware of how fucking depressing it got and it was one of the best things ive ever watched in a long ass time (and before you asked, I did watch Rebellion.......ehhh....that ending is...)

But there is more to this story

So after about a week of getting choked up from just looking at anything relating to the anime, I went back to making some more music on that album I spoke about before about my depression over in the section...but the Anime was still fresh in my mind and I ended up starting to write songs about parts of the episodes.....then it turned into a few songs.....then an ep........and now....im making a whole album based off the entire anime.

Its about an hour and 15 mins long, 17 songs, I have all the instrumentals done and ready for me to sing over once i get a mic again....but yeah....ill post the instrumental demo's here as well as an outtake and demo stuff too

Try and guess what the songs are based off from the titles...

https://adecadeinoblivion.bandcamp.com/album/vicissitude-non-spoiler-art-instrumental-demo-mixs

https://adecadeinoblivion.bandcamp.com/album/vicissitude-demos-and-outtakes

Louie_Cypher
10-28-2018, 07:01 PM
bought cowboy bebop series on amazon forgot how good it was:)
-louie

wizfan
10-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Steins;Gate 0 was friggin' amazing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-28-2018, 09:41 PM
Gonna have to check that one out, Dryalex12! I've heard the name and probably seen clips around, but it rings a bell, so I'll remember the recommendation!

Update: I didn't get the Cowboy Bebop big stupid expensive collector's edition, mainly because I've already got the last two special editions they released a couple years back. But you know what I did get? A vinyl copy of Cowboy Bebop OST 1 that I'm gonna cherish until the day I die, along with my vinyl copy of the Samurai Champloo soundtrack that I got signed by Shing02. Gaaaah damn, that was a great night. Now if I can only cross paths with Yoko Kanno/literally anyone involved with Bebop...

Wolfkiller
10-29-2018, 12:58 AM
Gonna have to check that one out, Dryalex12! I've heard the name and probably seen clips around, but it rings a bell, so I'll remember the recommendation!

Update: I didn't get the Cowboy Bebop big stupid expensive collector's edition, mainly because I've already got the last two special editions they released a couple years back. But you know what I did get? A vinyl copy of Cowboy Bebop OST 1 that I'm gonna cherish until the day I die, along with my vinyl copy of the Samurai Champloo soundtrack that I got signed by Shing02. Gaaaah damn, that was a great night. Now if I can only cross paths with Yoko Kanno/literally anyone involved with Bebop...

You posted at 9:41. Spike uses an IMI Jericho 941. Just thought I'd point that out

AThousandDaysBefore
10-29-2018, 10:25 PM
I saw the message of Dryalex12 about Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and checked the anime

Holy fucking shit, I haven't seen the last 2 chapters, but this is a really good anime

Haysey_Draws
10-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Surprised i haven't posted here more, i'm always checking out the new anime seasons as they air and seeing any anime in cinema's, maybe i should recommend some stuff!

If any of you are into Shonen shows (Dragonball Z, shows with lots of great battles) My Hero Academia is freaking fantastic. It's got a fantastic cast and excellent animation!

In terms of shows that are currently airing SSSS: Gridman is an anime show based on the Super Satai shows which were the basis for Power Rangers in the West, and it's fun as fuck! And Zombie Land Saga has one of the most WTF AM I WATCHING first episodes i've ever seen! That Time i was Reincarnated as a Slime is only 4 episodes in but really fucking charming! I'll have a look back through my anime list to recommend some more completed shows from this year/last year for you all.

Dryalex12
10-30-2018, 02:17 PM
I saw the message of Dryalex12 about Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and checked the anime

Holy fucking shit, I haven't seen the last 2 chapters, but this is a really good anime

Prepare yourself the last 2 are gonna hit you really hard

Haysey_Draws
12-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Some updates on the Fall Anime season (on Chrunchyroll anyway) and there are some excellent shows!

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Sempai

...ok, please don't let the name fool you, this is actually a very good comedy/romance with some absolute bloody great character writting.
The main set up is Sakuta is a high school guy but notices some weird goings on around him in the form of something called Puberty Syndrome (stay with me, it's not a hentai!) which causes odd things to happen to people going through stressful adolescence, one of which is his sister Keada who when being bullied by classmates online starts getting physically hurt with no cause. On one day trip to the library he notices Mai (a local celebrity at his school who works as a TV star) in a Bunny Girl outfit but nobody can see her...apart from him.

What follows is a very good rom com with some excellent serious drama and a host of excellent characters to fall in love with (and the opening song is a banger!)

Zombie Land Saga

This is a standard Idol girl show...only not standard at all as all the idols are zombies!
Honestly the best way to describe this is to watch the first episode, if the crazy metal shenanigans don't get you then no harm no foul...but it is a good show (and one of few anime i've seen with a very positive trans character!)

That Time I Was Reincarnated As a Slime

Again stick with me. Satoru is a normal 30-something guy but he is stabbed and killed in the street, he is then, you guessed it, reincarnated as a Slime in another world and...this show is just so damn charming!
The characters are again really likeable, the story is pretty good so far (we're about halfway through the show) and the animation is consistent and does a good job of explaining what's happening. It's also had some pretty dark moments, it's worth looking at!

SSSS: Gridman

My fav show, not just this season but this year, SSSS : Gridman is the anime version of the super sentai shows from the 90's...or as we in the west know them...Power Rangers. A kid named Yuta wakes up with no memory and can see massive Kaiju statutes around the city...but nobody else can, He can also talk to an old computer who houses 'Gridman' who can transform him into an Ultraman type hero to fight Kaiju. Honestly this show is excellent.
The character design is amazing, as is the animation and the way in the monster fights they take current CG and make it look like the old 90's 'guy's in rubber suits' whilst still looking bloody awesome! It's also has a ton of great mystery about what is actually happening (no spoilers, but it is good!) and it's worth watching!

With my 24days off christmas i'm going to check out some of the Netflix anime i've missed, i heard Devilman crybaby and castlevainia were great!

Wolfkiller
12-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Some updates on the Fall Anime season (on Chrunchyroll anyway) and there are some excellent shows!

Zombie Land Saga and That Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime are both sooooo damn good and hilarious!

Haysey_Draws
01-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Managed to catch up on some older shows i'd missed over the Holidays.

Finished One Punch Man and finally saw the first season of Mob Psycho 100 in prep for season 2 (both very fun and visually interesting/fantastic!)
Started Little Witch Academia (i ship Diakko don't @ me!) and it's really fun.
Devilman Crybaby BROKE me (i guess i should have prepared myself for it, fuck me i'm not sure i'll ever get over episode 9 and Miki's Death

As for the Winter season...nothing has really stood out yet. Obviously Mob Psycho 100 season 2 is great so far and That Time I Reincarnated As A Slime is in it's second half, but nothing new has been all that...good. Fall season was probably too good and spoiled Winter.

Haysey_Draws
01-28-2019, 07:30 AM
I think i might have found the best new show this season...

The Promised Never-land (streamed on Crunchyroll) about a orphanage full of happy kids between ages 1 and 12 dreaming of being adopted before their 12th birthday to happy family's...to say anymore would spoil it. Just give the first episode a go Nobody's is getting a happy ending in this, NOBODY!

Oh and Mob Physco 100 season 2 (also on crunchyroll) is fantasic!

wizfan
01-28-2019, 08:13 AM
I had mixed feelings about Mob Psycho 100's first season. Good concept, some great design ideas, okay characters and the "thick outline" art style takes some getting used to, but it allows for some fluid and vivid action scenes. However, the fact that the main character looks like One Punch Man with hair was ultra-distracting, plus the plot became boring halfway through the season. I enjoyed Boku no Hero Accademia a lot more. I will give season 2 a shot, though.

Ultra-psyched for the next season of Shokugeki no Soma. Plus, watched the first season of Grand Blue Dreaming and it had me in stitches. Funniest comedy anime I've seen since Kenichi.

bRoot
02-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Death Note - watched full and some of the live action, sure Kira was played badly, but you know in a way, it was kinda funny.

Texhnolyze - yet to watch, but I believe it is somewhat sci fi/cyberpunk so I'll get around to it. :)

Assassination Classroom - Very funny and cool. Only watched roughly 2-3 eps but need more source. Some Anime streams are just too boring and stimuli heavy.

Cowboy bepop - Has a bit too much western style. I prefer Dragon Ballz series/fan-non

The Big Lez Show - If you like oz then you need to see this, it has many cultural references and is also inspiring me to make my own animation. :)

Haysey_Draws
02-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Episode 5 of the second season of Mob Psycho 100...the fucking bar to which all anime is levelled just got fucking raised...that was amazing!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-13-2019, 10:56 PM
Just got into My Hero Academia and man, it is hilarious, unpredictable, and very original. I'm still attempting to get through all of the episodes of One Piece... It is so longggg.

Piko
02-13-2019, 11:18 PM
I really want to try One Piece. That's a huge commitment though.

I'm currently in the middle of a dbz rewatch. Finished the cell games. Started Kai. I'll probably watch the saiyan and frieza sagas and then go back to OG DBZ (saiyaman saga, I think).

About to probably rewatch and catch up on Sword Art Online after. My Hero Academia after that.

So behind on anime. No joke.

Haysey_Draws
02-14-2019, 02:45 AM
Was was up on the One Piece Manga until about chapter 350ish when i stopped...pretty sure it's into 800 chapters now and the anime is up to the same...i think i've missed the boat on that one!

Sword Art Online starts well but just falls apart towards the end of season one (i didn't watch any other season after) much the Same as Darling in the Franxx did (though i did at least finish that!)

My Hero is a gem of a show though, it does such a good job of having such a massive cast all get a decent amount of screen time AND make them all so bloody likeable!

Jon
02-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Was was up on the One Piece Manga until about chapter 350ish when i stopped...pretty sure it's into 800 chapters now and the anime is up to the same...i think i've missed the boat on that one!

927; I stopped around the same place you did.

Watched Godzilla: The Planet Eater last night. I really enjoyed and recommend the animated trilogy (on Netflix).

Haysey_Draws
02-14-2019, 09:35 AM
927; I stopped around the same place you did.

Watched Godzilla: The Planet Eater last night. I really enjoyed and recommend the animated trilogy (on Netflix).

...WOW, guess i'm definitely not getting back onto that boat, it's halfway round the pacific now!

Haysey_Draws
02-15-2019, 07:00 AM
500 Days of Summer's Marc Webb Directs Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-14/500-days-of-summer-marc-webb-directs-hollywood-remake-of-makoto-shinkai-your-name/.143452 (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-14/500-days-of-summer-marc-webb-directs-hollywood-remake-of-makoto-shinkai-your-name/.143452)

Do yourself a favour, if you haven't watched Your Name yet, do it before Hollywood make a forgettable rom-com out of it!

bobbie solo
02-15-2019, 11:12 AM
your name? as a live action american film? gross.

Haysey_Draws
02-18-2019, 02:44 AM
The Promised Neverland is really getting great, the tension is both fantasic and awful, really really good show so far (only 6 episodes in)

And Mob Psycho 100 continues to be excellent as well, the second season of One Punch Man has alot to live up too!

donhumberto
02-20-2019, 09:59 AM
First time poster, long time lurker. Been a huge anime fan for a while (probably + 10 years now) so I'd like to share some thoughts: bRoot, by all means, check out Texhnolyze asap. It's in my top 5 anime series ever and pretty much the best sci-fi /cyberpunk series I've ever watched (anime or otherwise). Be warned, though, the series is dark as fuck and you'll probably have to be in the mood for something really dark and depressing (and thought-provoking) in order to fully enjoy it, but the experience is truly worth it IMO. I don't want to spoil anything but I'll just say that the final scene will be forever tatooed in my brain. They sure as hell don't make series lika that nowadays, sadly. Jon, Completely agree with you about Godzilla. It's truly a superb film trilogy that's sadly going overlooked among most anime fans. It's worth mentioning that's written by Gen Urubuchi, the guy behind Madoka and Psycho pass, 2 of the best anime series of the decade IMO.
And talking about Netflix originals, I'd like to recommend you guys Hero Mask, a superb mystery thriller (not too different from Psycho Pass or Monster, although it would probably more accurate to compare it to western live action stuff like True detective with a healthy dose of James Bond-esque action) that has gone completely under most anime fans radar. Truly one of the best series I've watched in the last few years and totally worth checking out.

Haysey_Draws
03-04-2019, 07:37 AM
OK i have been spamming about Mob Physco for awhile now...but fuck me episode 8...those last few mins...FUUUUUUCK.

The first season was great, a must watch, but many considered it to be a lesser of One's other break out show One Punch Man.
The second season however is verging on being an absolute masterpiece! Everything has been on point, and it might just go down as a future classic anime, it's that DAMN good! we only have 4 episodes left of this current season.

Haysey_Draws
06-05-2019, 07:24 AM
OK so the spring season is in full swing and there are 2 things i should mention...

Attack on Titan season 3 part 2 and Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba!

WATCH THESE SHOWS!

Haysey_Draws
07-08-2019, 02:57 AM
Big week so far in anime,

Spring seasons wrapped up, including Attack on Titan which will conclude it's last season next October! And Demon Slayer continues to be excellent.

Some very promising new show's started with Dr.Stone (Funimation and Crunchroll) Astra Lost in Space (Funimation) whole load of ecchi shows (some of which i'll likely drop after a few episodes) and Fire Force (Funimation Sub+Dub and Crunchroll Sub) which is FUCKING OUTSTANDING in it;s first episode. Animation, Style, Characters, Music, Action, it's the full package! If it can hold onto those elements throughout the season we're onto a real winner!

We also got the first 10 minutes of Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0+1.0 (the forth and final film in the rebuild series) and HOLY SHIT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S HAPPENING BUT IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE!

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-08-2019, 07:53 AM
Finished Attack on Titan the other day, and holy FUCK, has that show turned into a ride. It always has been, but season 3 has just been unrelenting. I started reading the manga, too, just because there’s no way I’ll be able to wait until 2020 for more. Surprised to find that from what I’ve read so far, the manga and anime seem to be almost identical, content-wise!

The creator also put out the last panel of the manga last year, and while the panel itself doesn’t reveal much, it’s cool to know how far in advance all of this is being planned out, and that there actually is an end in mind. Season 4 is going to be awesome, and it’ll be worth every second of waiting to get to fall 2020.

I’m pretty sure AoT season 3 has garnered more “OH FUCK HOLY FUCKING FUCK” moments per episode than I’ve seen in nearly any TV show. When The Owl starts reciting Eren’s memories and suddenly says “...who’s memories are those,” I lost my SHIT. That’s fucking brilliant.

Haysey_Draws
07-09-2019, 02:59 AM
Yeah season 3 really was a "HOLY FUCK" season, those Revelations at the end. Also i feel so bad for Mikesea, she just found out that her 2 closest friends she's had since as far as she can remember, who are basically her only family, are going to die after 13 years (8 now in Erens case) and despite being an absolute badass and one of the strongest fighters there is nothing she can do to stop it...that must really fucking hurt

Haysey_Draws
07-10-2019, 04:02 AM
So...i hadn't been able to finish Kill la Kill as when it was on Netflix in the UK it was taken off when i was halfway through and it's not come back, nor is it on ANY UK streaming service. Since i'd renewed Netflix for Evangelion i thought i'd use a VPN to watch it as it;s still on the US site, but Netflix doesn't allow VPN's. While the VPN was still on i went onto my chruncyroll on the off chance and...there it was, on the US version of CR in both subbed and dubbed so i can FINALLY finish it...and then i saw just how many OTHER dubbed anime there was on the US site we don't have and now my que's stupidly long and there's goes all my free time...

Haysey_Draws
09-17-2019, 04:34 AM
So the summer seasons are coming to a close so here's a round up of the best ones (that i have access to through Crunchyroll and Funimation)

Demon Slayer (CR and Funi)
This might just be the next big thing anime wise, the next On Punch Man, the next Attack on Titan, it's fucking AMAZING! The characters are bloody great, the story is very good (Set in an alternative past where demons roam the country and demon hunting samurai called Demon Slayer Corps hunt them down) and bloody hell animation, it's just beautiful to look at. This shouldn't be missed, the season is coming to a close but there are more planned!

Dr Stone (CR and Funi)
A slow burn "action" anime where science takes the centre stage. The world ends with all humanity being petrified before one by one they reawaken 3,000 years later, we follow senku as he uses science to bring the world back...it's very very good, but very slow. This'll be another long running show for sure, but worth it for the unique take on the action genre.

Fire Force (CR and Funi)
Probably the most "anime" of all the anime, from the creator of Soul Eater (it really shows) the world has a problem where people will randomly burst into flames and become flame demons, and it's down to the fire forces to take them down. Honestly it's pretty good, it can be funny and dark at the same time, while having some great fight scenes and animation...but also some very underwhelming animation. Worth checking out.

How Heavy are the Dumbells you Lift? (Funi only)
An ecchi show about cute girls going to the gym...honestly this show is SO much better then it has any right to be! It also manages to explain working out, and gives you tips on how to work out at home, whilst being a silly anime show full of jokes. Defiantly a fun watch.

Magical Sempai (CR)
A 12 min per episode about a hopeless wannabe magication ecchi show and it's probably the funnist thing i've seen this year. Quick and to the point whilst getting in joke after joke and plenty of fan service.

There were a number of shows that started good then just took an absolute nose dive, like Do You Love Your Mom and Her 2 Hit Multi Target Attacks...so much promise but them it just fell apart with it's constant creepy Mother Son relationship and just leaving the background characters in the background.

Haysey_Draws
01-23-2020, 07:26 AM
The Fall season has finished and the Winter started, so here are my picks for best shows last season that you can binge now, the best of the continuing shows and the new shows this season that are great...

Best of the fall season and continuing shows... (Funi is the Funimation streaming service and CR is the CrunchyRoll Streaming service)

Bokuben, We Never Learn (completed show, on Funi and CR)
If slice of life romantic comedy's with some fan service is your bag then this is the show for you. A great cast of characters (seriously they're all just the best!) some great character design and consistent animation made this one of the best chill out shows for me last year. It's fully completed with 26 episodes.

Dr Stone (Completed show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
I mentioned this before, and it's first season is now completed, but it is coming back with a second season later this year(?) so it's worth jumping on now. A very different take on the action genre with the action replaced with science...and it works. It's a slow burn but well worth the trip. The first season is completed with 26 episodes

Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia (Ongoing show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
If, like me, you know nothing of the fate series on a whole this is a fine place to jump into. There is a film that does need to be watched before, but it is also on both streaming platforms and easy to find. It's your standard action "we have to save the world with famous historical figures now in the body of waifu's" fair, but it has some of the most fantasic animation and action set pieces...it also has TONS of fan service (which shouldn't be a surprise as it was originally a hentai game!) It's ongoing with subs on CR and a Dub on Funi, but that is slightly behind.

My Hero Academia Season 4 (Ongoing show, Dubbed on Funi, Subbed on CR)
If your not yet on the MHA train then you should definitely consider getting on board, because this is one of the most consistently hype shows of recent years, and has the animation and writing to back it up! Basic story, hero's exsist in the with superpowers called "quirks" in a 80-20% ratio with people who are Quirkless and we follow Quirkless Deku as he makes his way to being the worlds number 1 hero. The latest season so DAMN good, with the latest arc just about wrapping up and moving onto the next arc. I can't recommend this show enough! It's ongoing with subs on CR and a Dub on Funi, but that is slightly behind.

Current pick of the new Winter shows...

In/spectre (Subbed on CR)
Iwanaga Kotoko became the god of wisdom to the supernatural beings and spends her days solving problems for them. However, the boy who she fell head over heels for, Sakuragawa Kuro, is someone that is feared by all supernatural creatures. The two of them face various mysterious incidents involving the supernatural in this love x romance x mystery series. Where will these fantastical incidents lead them and what will happen with Kotoko’s crush?
This show was a surprise to me, i wasn't expecting to like it...but BOY did i. The story is engaging and the animation is top noche. I'll be sticking with this one!

Asteroid in Love (Subbed on CR)
During her childhood, a girl named Mira befriends a boy named Ao and makes a promise with him to discover an asteroid. Upon entering high school, Mira joins the earth sciences club, a merger of the school's astronomy and geology clubs, and reunites with Ao, who she discovers is actually a girl. Alongside their fellow club members, Mira and Ao take part in various astronomical and geological activities in the hopes of one day discovering an asteroid.
Other then the obvious yuri bait (which might actually turn into a genuine love story) this is such a charming and wonderful show. I already love all the characters and it's a nice show to chill out too. Already a fav of mine!

Somali and the Forest Spirit (Subbed on CR)
The world is ruled by a diversity of inhuman beings, who persecuted humans and drove them to near-extinction. One day, the forest guardian Golem meets a human girl. This is a chronicle of a journey that would bind a member of the dying "human" clan to the forest guardian Golem, as father and daughter.
Another slice of life feeling show but with a fantasy element, although i already feel like this ones going to have some serious emtional punches in it. Another great chill out show that will probably end up punching you in the gut by the end!

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (Subbed on CR)
First year high schooler Midori Asakusa loves anime so much, she insists that "concept is everything" in animation. Though she draws a variety of ideas in her sketchbook, she hasn't taken the first step to creating anime, insisting that she can't do it alone. The producer-type Sayaka Kanamori is the first to notice Asakusa's genius. Then, when it becomes clear that their classmate, charismatic fashion model Tsubame Mizusaki, really wants to be an animator, they create an animation club to realize the "ultimate world" that exists in their minds.
HOLY HELL I CAN'T RAVE ABOUT THIS ONE ENOUGH! This might just end up on my top shows of the year list, it's so BLOODY GOOOOOOOD! Basically a show about imagination and creating animation and it's so bloody spot on, just watch it, trust me!

BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense. (Subbed and Dubbed on Funi)
She may be new to gaming, but Maple has found the secret to invincibility! Just put all your skill points into defense until you can't even move. That works, right? She doesn't want to experience any pain in the VRMMO game she started playing, and somehow it works better than anyone expected. Now she's got followers??
This is another chill show i'm really into this season, though there are hints it'll get more story and less chill later, i'm just loving Maple and her enthusiasm to just become the worlds best tank!

ID: INVADED (Subbed and Dubbed on Funi)
Welcome to Kura, an organization that investigates crime using the Mizuhanome system which senses the drive to kill. Sakaido is a brilliant detective and pilot of the Mizuhanome. To solve a case, he enters the world of the killer's unconscious mind: the id well. In the shadows of brutal and puzzling cases lurks John Walker, the Serial Killer Creator. Where will Sakaido's pursuit lead?
This is a really story driven show, with a really interesting premise...find a killer by entering the killers intention to kill. It doesn't have the same polish animation wise as some of the other shows, but the story and premise more then make up for that!

There were a number of shows i started that just weren't hitting my buttons frankly, and a number of fan service shows that were really lacking in animation. There's also a new Magic Madoka side story show this season...for all those out there who want their souls crushed lol.

Haysey_Draws
08-28-2020, 03:24 PM
I'll probably do a yearly update of all the best shows as doing them every season is a bit messy, but i will say this...RE:Zero season 2 is OUT FUCKING STANDING! And brutal.

Haysey_Draws
09-20-2020, 03:25 PM
I didn't think Re:zero could get any better/more fucked up...i was wrong! For a show that's almost halfway through it's second season and the main selling point is MC dies and respawns i'm amazed that the deaths are still shocking and getting really emionally draining!

Jon
12-12-2020, 10:54 AM
Anime on 4K BR has been... completely underwhelming (thus far).

Please DNR every release so that it contains white snow. I'm not kidding when I say Ghost in the Shell on VHS looks more filmic than the US 4K... on a 4K mini OLED. Completely shameful.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Just jumped back into Gundam Wing and it is even better than I rememeber it when it was on toonami. The Japanese dialogue just ads a different dynamic for me in almost every anime that I watch. I feel I'll never finish one piece lol.

Haysey_Draws
12-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Anime on 4K BR has been... completely underwhelming (thus far).

Please DNR every release so that it contains white snow. I'm not kidding when I say Ghost in the Shell on VHS looks more filmic than the US 4K... on a 4K mini OLED. Completely shameful.

Unfortunately this is the case for a lot of older anime. They just never thought back then it would be viewed in such high detail. Some newer stuff does look great, Like Fate and Demon Slayer, but still a load are animated on a budget.

Haysey_Draws
12-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately this is the case for a lot of older anime. They just never thought back then it would be viewed in such high detail. Some newer stuff does look great, Like Fate and Demon Slayer, but still a load are animated on a budget.

I struggle to keep up with the manga so you are not alone. The animation on the latest series though is unreal!

Jon
12-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Akira 4K Limited Edition: HDR Disc Replacement How-To (https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12/22/akira-4k-hdr-disc-replacement-how-to-limited-edition/)

Just as a quick warning to anyone wanting/getting the Akira 4K: the US and UK discs were authored without HDR. Replacements are expected to be ready by February 2021. I paid the $100 for the JP import for multiple reasons, but the US version is on its way as well.

Haysey_Draws
01-07-2021, 06:30 AM
Well this winter season is...fucking incredible!

RE:Zero Season 2 part 2
Attack on Titan The Final Season (which is fucking amazing so far!)
Jujutsu Kaisen (in the second half of the season, and it's one of the best new shows around)
The Promised Neverland Season 2
Dr Stone Season 2
That Time i Got Reincarnated As A Slime Season 2

And that's not to mention all the NEW SHOWS STARTING!

Haysey_Draws
01-24-2021, 10:09 AM
Holy crap there are some AMAZING new shows this season! I usually do my anime viewing in one go on a Sunday to catch the weeks shows and it's taking me over 6 hours on non stop watching to see all these shows...

As far as Recommendations go, WATCH WONDER EGG PRIORITY (on Funimation) it's so damn pretty, well animated, wonderous and heartbreaking (suicide warning if you watch it, it's a major part of it's story)

fillow
01-24-2021, 10:40 AM
So the final movie of Evangelion has been postponed once again FFS. I guess they're desperate for theatratical release too?

Haysey_Draws
01-24-2021, 12:24 PM
So the final movie of Evangelion has been postponed once again FFS. I guess they're desperate for theatratical release too?

Considering how much band Demon Slayer made a few months ago in Japan alone that defiantly want this is theaters!

henryeatscereal
01-25-2021, 01:13 PM
Not surprised, still disappointed...

fillow
01-25-2021, 01:45 PM
A summary from NGE subreddit:

At this time there is no information about release outside of Japan, let alone in English, however there are a few things we can expect.

The Japanese home video release will follow several months later, at which point fansubs should begin to circulate.
English licensing will follow several months after that. Funimation licensing the film and using the existing voice cast is most likely, however there are no details at this time.
An English theatrical release will likely follow several months after that.
And finally, an English home video release will likely follow several months after that.

2023 here we come!

I remember this like yesterday: I watched the 1st movie only, and when the second one was about to drop, I decided to wait until all 4 are out. This was 12 years ago. Back then they were planning to be done with this by 2013.

I'm gonna go rewatch the original stuff now.

Haysey_Draws
02-16-2021, 03:01 AM
A summary from NGE subreddit:

2023 here we come!

I remember this like yesterday: I watched the 1st movie only, and when the second one was about to drop, I decided to wait until all 4 are out. This was 12 years ago. Back then they were planning to be done with this by 2013.

I was sure we got 2.0 and 3.0 within a year of the Japanese release...well a cinema screening at least! (i was lucky enough to see all 3 on the big screen with subtitles)

Haysey_Draws
02-16-2021, 03:03 AM
Just a quick note on the whole current "keep normies out off anime" that's stupidly trending on socials. ..YOUR ALL WELCOME HERE! Doesn't matter if you've only seen a couple episodes of Pokemon and Sailor Moon or have an indepth knowledge of the Fate story line, i'd love to talk to you about it :)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-16-2021, 04:51 AM
Just a quick note on the whole current "keep normies out off anime" that's stupidly trending on socials. ..YOUR ALL WELCOME HERE! Doesn't matter if you've only seen a couple episodes of Pokemon and Sailor Moon or have an indepth knowledge of the Fate story line, i'd love to talk to you about it :)

You saw that as well, huh? I also saw you're not a real fan if you watch any anime on a paid subscription service like Netflix or crunchy roll... It is getting so scary out there lol.

Haysey_Draws
02-16-2021, 06:13 AM
You saw that as well, huh? I also saw you're not a real fan if you watch any anime on a paid subscription service like Netflix or crunchy roll... It is getting so scary out there lol.

It's one of many reasons i don't really go on anime forums, even the ones for CR. A loud minority of fans are very VERY hostel, and the same people who are super for pirating anime as it's "fan subs" (it's not, it's mostly just taking the CR subs) and it super sucks. There's so much great anime out there in all kinds of genres and themes (from Mental Health/Suicide to gender identity) especially now. I just do not understand why anyone wouldn't want more protentional friends to talk about it with! I spent decades, before i even had the internet, watching whatever i could on my own, i want to talk to others about it...not put them off!

MrLobster
02-16-2021, 06:37 AM
If you didn't suffer through renting VHS tapes of Project A-KO then... uh... good for you, what are you watching? :)

Haysey_Draws
02-16-2021, 06:55 AM
There are so many great shows out right now, many with dubs a few weeks behind the subtitled versions, but my current watch list includes ...

RE:Zero season 2 (if you haven't watched season one then get on that, it's bloody good!)
Jujutsu Kaisen (nearing the end of ifs first season, has some of the best looking animated fights scenes this side of FATE)
Attack on Titan the final Season (it's trending every Sunday for a reason!)
Hoyimaya (its a slice of life romantic comedy...i'm not a fan of slice of life romantic comedies, which should tell you how good this must be!)
WONDER EGG PRIORITY (wonderful bold colors and animation with strong themes of suicide/sexual assault and mental health. Probably my fav show of the season and year so far!)

I also hear Demon Slayer is on Netflix now (it's really good) and the Great Pretender is meant to be fantasic...but i don't have netflix so can't watch it :(

Haysey_Draws
03-28-2021, 04:30 PM
Attack On Titan just ended...well that's what i WOULD be saying if they hadn't done the old "you thought this was the end? Nope this is the end of Part of of the Final Season"

Part 2 (another 16 episodes for the actual final manga chapters) are coming, but there's some confusion as to if it's Winter 2022 or the anime Winter Season 2022 (which would be this coming winter) Either way MORE ATTACK ON TITAN!

Jon
05-25-2021, 10:27 AM
Just jumped back into Gundam Wing and it is even better than I rememeber it when it was on toonami. The Japanese dialogue just ads a different dynamic for me in almost every anime that I watch. I feel I'll never finish one piece lol.

I had the slip box left from my Gundam Wing collection, so I've been purchasing the DVD Operations from a local place for $7 a piece; they are still in-print and $59.99 a piece at places like FYE (really, Sunrise?). Definitely one of the best Gundam series.

Also, One Piece was my quarantine watch, so I'm all caught up there (episode 975), as well as all of the US Voyage releases to date (they've started releasing them on Blu-ray with Dressrosa). It's looking like it's going to be towards the end of 2022 when that finishes releasing, hopefully they continue with the dubs and Voyage releases.

@Haysey_Draws (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5491) how was season 1 of Bofuri? I've been wanting to get the LE Funi release... Are you watching Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita?

Haysey_Draws
06-04-2021, 08:31 AM
I had the slip box left from my Gundam Wing collection, so I've been purchasing the DVD Operations from a local place for $7 a piece; they are still in-print and $59.99 a piece at places like FYE (really, Sunrise?). Definitely one of the best Gundam series.

Also, One Piece was my quarantine watch, so I'm all caught up there (episode 975), as well as all of the US Voyage releases to date (they've started releasing them on Blu-ray with Dressrosa). It's looking like it's going to be towards the end of 2022 when that finishes releasing, hopefully they continue with the dubs and Voyage releases.

@Haysey_Draws (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5491) how was season 1 of Bofuri? I've been wanting to get the LE Funi release... Are you watching Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita?

Sorry it's been a busy week. Bofuri was a fun little show, but i wouldn't say there was anything that really stood out in the end. But if your in for a nice chill fun time i'd give the dub a go. I'm waiting on the Dub for Slime, there are just so many damn shows this season are are really worth your time (86, To Your Eternity, Toyko Revengers) To say this season is stacked is an understatement, there are at least 5 shows this season alone that are already in my top shows of the year!

Jon
06-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Sorry it's been a busy week. Bofuri was a fun little show, but i wouldn't say there was anything that really stood out in the end. But if your in for a nice chill fun time i'd give the dub a go. I'm waiting on the Dub for Slime, there are just so many damn shows this season are are really worth your time (86, To Your Eternity, Toyko Revengers) To say this season is stacked is an understatement, there are at least 5 shows this season alone that are already in my top shows of the year!

I've been trying to get back in this season since I'm already watching Detective Conan, One Piece, Max Level, Godzilla: Singular Point, and the latest Gundam. What all are you enjoying this season?

Do you have any isekai/slice of life recommendations that the wife and I would enjoy? The last thing we watched was Log Horizon.

Haysey_Draws
06-06-2021, 03:58 PM
I've been trying to get back in this season since I'm already watching Detective Conan, One Piece, Max Level, Godzilla: Singular Point, and the latest Gundam. What all are you enjoying this season?

Do you have any isekai/slice of life recommendations that the wife and I would enjoy? The last thing we watched was Log Horizon.

There are lots of worth while shows, but not many isekai/slice of life ones...well ones that aren't bleak as hell! I would say So I'm A Spider So What is an absolutely fantasic isekai this season (the MC is so good and the japanese VA does AMAZING work) Super Cub is a slice of Life about a girl and her moped that is super chill and great and worth checking out for a comfort watch and Zombie Land Saga is one of the best comedies this season (it's also it's second season) everything else will either leave you feeling crushed or crying...or both!

Jon
07-02-2021, 01:00 PM
2023 here we come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfuWMDEJpw

August 13, 2021
10 Dubbed Languages, 28 Subtitled Languages
https://amazonuk.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/japanese-record-breaking-anime-blockbuster-film-evangelion30101

Haysey_Draws
08-12-2021, 11:19 AM
This is (Not) a Drill!

The Evangelion Ultimate Edition is coming in a week!

https://evangelion.alltheanime.com/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=evangelion_teaser

Haysey_Draws
08-13-2021, 08:17 AM
Evangelion 3.0+1.0...the ending is just so beautiful, and after over 2 decades it's an actual ending! I cried at the end.

Jon
08-15-2021, 10:41 AM
This is (Not) a Drill!

The Evangelion Ultimate Edition is coming in a week!

https://evangelion.alltheanime.com/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=evangelion_teaser

Since it's GKids and Anime Limited, I wonder if we'll get several editions. FWIW, this is the first GKids release with the "Ultimate Edition" label.

henryeatscereal
08-16-2021, 12:03 AM
Evangelion 3.0+1.0...the ending is just so beautiful, and after over 2 decades it's an actual ending! I cried at the end.
Ditto, i was so touched by the ending, it was a poem both visually and story-wise!

HWB
08-16-2021, 12:55 AM
Sorry to interrupt the Eva talk, started wathing Aria - The Animation, currently finished the second season and I am loving it, it may rank as one of my all-time favorites slice of lives. Really one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen, love the supernatural elements, love the monologues, it feels very inspiring to me, makes me happy and always makes me wonder what will happen in the next episode.

Haysey_Draws
08-16-2021, 03:20 AM
Since it's GKids and Anime Limited, I wonder if we'll get several editions. FWIW, this is the first GKids release with the "Ultimate Edition" label.

I think it's juts an Ultimate Edition for Anime Limited right now, but i do not think it includes the Rebuilds so there is room for other Editions to come (i don't think 3.0 + 1.0 even has a Blu-ray in Japan yet so i doubt we'd get it included in a Blu-ray edition just yet) My guess it'll be around the same as their Cowboy Bebop Ultimate Edition.

Haysey_Draws
08-16-2021, 03:52 AM
Ditto, i was so touched by the ending, it was a poem both visually and story-wise!

One Last Kiss will be making me cry happy tears for YEARS to come. I did some fanart and managed to get the attention of some of the voice actors, Mari's specifically, so that's been a really cool extra to all this!

Jon
08-16-2021, 07:51 AM
I think it's juts an Ultimate Edition for Anime Limited right now

GKids website is identical to the one you linked plus an hour on the countdown :)

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion?utm_source=gkids&utm_medium=vanity&utm_campaign=gkidseva&utm_id=NGE

henryeatscereal
08-16-2021, 01:48 PM
One Last Kiss will be making me cry happy tears for YEARS to come. I did some fanart and managed to get the attention of some of the voice actors, Mari's specifically, so that's been a really cool extra to all this!
Oh yes, beautiful song, both this and "beautiful world"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKRgqWGrWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJss9e7Pxsw

BTW, i love Mary, don't get the hate for her...

Haysey_Draws
08-17-2021, 01:56 AM
Oh yes, beautiful song, both this and "beautiful world"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKRgqWGrWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJss9e7Pxsw

BTW, i love Mary, don't get the hate for her...

I think a lot of her original hate just came from 2.0 where Asuka was taken out of the story and people felt Mari had replaced her in the final act. Probably doesn't help her backstory was never really cleared up, but honestly i really loved her, especially her dialog with Asuka in 3.0 and Thrice (Mari is, from what i can remember, the ONLY character she's ever let get physically close to her without any invitation like she did when Shinji kissed her in the original show. Mari is just straight up all over her when they see each other in Thrice, which led me to think in the 14 years they'd actually become pretty close, albeit with Asuka still doing her best tsundere AT field and Mari blasting through it every time)

wampa
08-17-2021, 08:02 AM
I've seen NGE and EoE, but not the rebuild movies. Are they worth it??

henryeatscereal
08-17-2021, 12:24 PM
I've seen NGE and EoE, but not the rebuild movies. Are they worth it??
Yes, the first movie is pretty much a remake, but at the end of the second movie the story changes, third and fourth movie are a different take on the story (not better or worse, just different...)

I think a lot of her original hate just came from 2.0 where Asuka was taken out of the story and people felt Mari had replaced her in the final act. Probably doesn't help her backstory was never really cleared up, but honestly i really loved her, especially her dialog with Asuka in 3.0 and Thrice (Mari is, from what i can remember, the ONLY character she's ever let get physically close to her without any invitation like she did when Shinji kissed her in the original show. Mari is just straight up all over her when they see each other in Thrice, which led me to think in the 14 years they'd actually become pretty close, albeit with Asuka still doing her best tsundere AT field and Mari blasting through it every time)
It does makes sense.
In a way they cleared Mary's story, when Mari calls Fuyutsuki "Sensei", proving the theory that Mary studied with Gendo and Yui (she even called Gendo, "Gendo-Kun" once) and she's much older than she looks (thats why she's always singing old songs...)

wampa
08-17-2021, 12:52 PM
Yes, the first movie is pretty much a remake, but at the end of the second movie the story changes, third and fourth movie are a different take on the story (not better or worse, just different...)

Thanks, I'll check them out as soon as I finish the series I'm on.

Haysey_Draws
08-18-2021, 07:48 AM

It does makes sense.
In a way they cleared Mary's story, when Mari calls Fuyutsuki "Sensei", proving the theory that Mary studied with Gendo and Yui (she even called Gendo, "Gendo-Kun" once) and she's much older than she looks (thats why she's always singing old songs...)

They do but they also don't, like how IS she there when she was clearly with Gendo and Yui? But not enough for it to be a deal breaker (My thoery is in this loop she was one of the first clones and linked with her original self at some point making her fully aware of what happened in the past and a deep understanding of the Eva's, which leads to why she is such a great pilot) but some people really don't like that they added a new character and feel Asuka should have been the one to go beast in 2.0...even though Asuka IMO becomes a much MUCH better and more rounded badass in the last 2 films.

Jon
08-19-2021, 11:12 AM
$275. No versions of "Fly Me To The Moon". Contains "official" sub and dub + ADV dub and sub as a bonus. I like the redesigns of the LaserDisc artwork for the packaging, but I think I'm gonna sit this one out.

https://store.gkids.com/pages/neon-genesis-evangelion#ultimate-edition

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1096/6966/t/3/assets/NGE_UE_01_2x.jpg?v=12325303063526750440

Haysey_Draws
08-19-2021, 11:12 AM
https://evangelion.alltheanime.com/

FASTEST.PRE-ORDER.EVER!

I was right about it not having the Rebuilds (expected) and having bother the New Netflix Dub AND original ADV dub. It's been quite the week for me and Evangelion, a pretty fucking awesome one!

henryeatscereal
08-19-2021, 12:23 PM
Only in North America, Canada and UK? Damn, i want this set but no making it available everywere is dumb...

Haysey_Draws
08-20-2021, 05:47 AM
Only in North America, Canada and UK? Damn, i want this set but no making it available everywere is dumb...

I believe they were also offering it Down under as well through Madmen, but i'm guessing the international rights are a little fucked!

Haysey_Draws
08-20-2021, 05:49 AM
All the Anime gave up update this morning, stating all their UK 1,500 had sold out already, so they are adding an extra 1000 and that's it!

Interestingly they also said they'll update on 30th Aug more ways to own this collection, so that sounds like a standard edition is coming!!!

wampa
08-20-2021, 09:03 AM
i started the rebuild movies, pretty excellent seeing them updated and redone. baka shinji!

henryeatscereal
08-20-2021, 02:44 PM
i started the rebuild movies, pretty excellent seeing them updated and redone. baka shinji!
The animation is top quality, feast to the eyes!

All the Anime gave up update this morning, stating all their UK 1,500 had sold out already, so they are adding an extra 1000 and that's it!

Interestingly they also said they'll update on 30th Aug more ways to own this collection, so that sounds like a standard edition is coming!!!
Hopefully the standard edition will be available everywhere, i bought my "Cowboy Bebop" set on Amazon with no issue, i need my Evangelion set to be beside it!

Haysey_Draws
08-20-2021, 04:02 PM
The animation is top quality, feast to the eyes!

Hopefully the standard edition will be available everywhere, i bought my "Cowboy Bebop" set on Amazon with no issue, i need my Evangelion set to be beside it!

It most likely will, they did them same with Cowboy Bebop and that Ultimate Edition as well. I just hope we get a Rebuild collection too, we didn't get a Blu-ray of 1.0 in the UK (or i just missed it completely) so i'd love one complete collection of those too...and i'd probably re-watch 3.0+1.0 a load!

elevenism
08-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Did anyone else get into anime in the early nineties as a tween, when it was a tiny little section of the Blockbuster, or mom and pop competition, called "Japanimation?"

You had your Akira, your Fist of the North Star, your Vampire Hunter D...where i lived at the time, it was literally ONE little four foot wide rack of four or five shelves- MAYBE a hundred VHS tapes in all.

I rented literally every one of those motherfuckers from like 1991-1993.

bobbie solo
08-21-2021, 02:17 AM
Did anyone else get into anime in the early nineties as a tween, when it was a tiny little section of the Blockbuster, or mom and pop competition, called "Japanimation?"

You had your Akira, your Fist of the North Star, your Vampire Hunter D...where i lived at the time, it was literally ONE little four foot wide rack of four or five shelves- MAYBE a hundred VHS tapes in all.

I rented literally every one of those motherfuckers from like 1991-1993.

literally exactly my story. Except it started at Palmer Video, a NE only chain I believe at the time. There were arcade games to play right next to the "Japanimation" section, making it even more enticing. I'm talking TMNT, Simpsons, X-Men.

Frozen Beach
08-21-2021, 02:48 PM
I admit, I caved with the NGE box set. It's upsetting FMTTM has been removed, that song always felt really important to the series.

Haysey_Draws
08-21-2021, 04:20 PM
I admit, I caved with the NGE box set. It's upsetting FMTTM has been removed, that song always felt really important to the series.

From what i'm hearing (people to do with it are being very cagey) the music license would have been so expensive some are suggesting it would have increased the price significantly so they made the call to remove it and keep the collection "affordable". Probably also why Netflix didn't get it either, it sucks but it's what it is.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Oh... Ok.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1429790559288299521?s=19

Haysey_Draws
08-23-2021, 09:01 AM
Oh... Ok.

These photo's made me go both "cool" and "why?" at the same time. It might be good, but i need a trailer to let me see how they are handling the style, music and (most importantly) action! I swear if it's all jump cuts and half arsed i'll be pissed, the action in the anime is so DAMN GOOD and so bloody well animated it deserves respect in the live version.

wampa
08-23-2021, 10:50 AM
I honestly don’t know why we are doing this to Cowboy Bebop.

fillow
08-23-2021, 10:52 AM
The one time they didn't need an Asian actor for lead character...

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-23-2021, 11:30 AM
These photo's made me go both "cool" and "why?" at the same time. It might be good, but i need a trailer to let me see how they are handling the style, music and (most importantly) action! I swear if it's all jump cuts and half arsed i'll be pissed, the action in the anime is so DAMN GOOD and so bloody well animated it deserves respect in the live version.

I actually really dig it... Especially Cho's look. I also wanna see what direction they go with, but I have faith that they will stay somewhat faithful to the original. I dunno... I'm keeping the glass half full on this one.

Jon
08-23-2021, 11:58 AM
I honestly don’t know why we are doing this to Cowboy Bebop.

That Netflix live-action One Piece series is still very much alive, also.

Haysey_Draws
08-23-2021, 04:18 PM
That Netflix live-action One Piece series is still very much alive, also.

...what? Next they'll be talking about live action Eva...oh god please no.

Haysey_Draws
08-23-2021, 04:24 PM
I actually really dig it... Especially Cho's look. I also wanna see what direction they go with, but I have faith that they will stay somewhat faithful to the original. I dunno... I'm keeping the glass half full on this one.

See that's where i'm worried, there is a very thin line between getting this spot on in feel and style whilst being different enough for it to stand on it's own from the anime. If it strays too far away it's another Death Note, too close and it just becomes "well why would i watch this over the anime?" and Netflix...aren't exactly stellar in their hit ratio. It could be amazing, it could hit that sweet spot and become it's own thing whilst being true to Bebop, it's just such a small target and i can't tell from the pictures alone.

henryeatscereal
08-23-2021, 08:33 PM
Oh... Ok.

Not just for Jet Black's change, i don't want this to happen, i don't see the point on ruining one of the best Animes ever...

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-23-2021, 08:56 PM
It will most likely stink, but I don't see it ruining anything. CB has a reputation of its own that it will easily be forgettable. The anime is a classic, but if this is even half good, it won't ruffle my feathers all that much.

Frozen Beach
08-23-2021, 10:52 PM
I'll pass, I'll just watch Firefly again, which is the closest thing to a live action Cowboy Bebop I need.

FULLMETAL
09-02-2021, 04:02 AM
I'm in it for the new Yoko Kanno soundtrack, but my expectations are set on low.

Haysey_Draws
09-02-2021, 04:26 AM
Worth mentioning that on Monday the info for the Collectors and Standard editions for Eva came out, far more affordable and not limited (can pretty much find them in most places anime blu-rays are found)...but who knows how long they have the license for so now's a good time to add the blu-rays to your collection!

Tempted to just pick up a standard edition that i'll actually watch and keep the Ultimate edition in my Eva display.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Cowboy Bebop intro.

https://youtu.be/Yq2N-9EmedA

Haysey_Draws
10-02-2021, 10:23 AM
I'll be honest, that intro had the feel of an internet fan project circa 2012, and killed any interest i had in watching it. It might be great, but the strength of that it has not convinced me i need to sign up to Netflix just to see it. So i'll just rewatch my blu-ray and pass on this...hell it's not like i even had the time to even watch it with this fall seasons anime line up! There's so much content fighting for my attention right now!