PDA

View Full Version : 2019: New music

botley
12-24-2018, 10:09 AM
What artists are you looking forward to hearing from in the new year?

Tool is obviously top of the list for many of us. I'm also really interested in what Saul Williams is cooking up with the musical he's been directing. We can expect a lot more soundtrack/scoring music from Reznor and Ross...

I have a feeling the Rolling Stones will *finally* put out new music as well.

fillow
12-24-2018, 10:22 AM
*cough* Portishead *cough*

halo eighteen
12-24-2018, 12:02 PM
The Cure and Tool, and I'm not holding my breath on either. Portishead would be amazing, but it's been exceptionally quiet on that front. Something new from MBV would be nice.

Honestly, I'm kind of expecting and hoping for a pretty low key year. My wallet needs to recover and save up for the Tori tour in 2020, heh. :p

Krazy
12-24-2018, 02:28 PM
+1 for Tool. Until it’s in my hands (assuming it’s a physical release of some sort) and I’m listening to it, I’m still going to remain skeptical about it however.

And even though it would technically not be new music, I would obviously love to see another NIN tour.

virushopper
12-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Besides Tool, I would say Drab Majesty, HEALTH, and Russian Circles top my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManBurning
12-24-2018, 02:47 PM
Ah, I was wondering when this thread was going to pop up. I was contemplating creating it a few days ago.

I've been making my list of what I'm looking forward to in 2019.

My most anticipated releases are:
#1 - Rammstein (Q2/Spring)
#2 -TOOL (TBA - Guessing Q2 before the tour starts)

Confirmed releases:
Covenant (January)
A pale horse named death (Jan 18)
The Faint (March 15)
Aesthetic Perfection (March)

Unknown/TBA/Rumored:
KMFDM
Imperative Reaction
The Offspring
Trust

onthewall2983
12-24-2018, 03:13 PM
Steven Wilson is co-producing Tim Bowness' next record, and says there's new No-Man music to come out shortly after so I'm looking forward to that. I'm pretty sure Opeth has been working on new music all year, so likely to come out then too.

neorev
12-24-2018, 03:26 PM
The Chemical Brothers have a new album called No Geography coming out in the spring.

The Prodigy keep teasing something coming in 2019.

Orbital have Orbital30 coming to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
12-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Mike Patton....Anything Mike Patton (Tomahawk is rumored. Dead Cross rumored. Faith No More possible?) He does have a new album confirmed which he is doing with a French composer which is going to be an album of Mike singing his ass off in foreign languages etc

Jord
12-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Holding out for something to come with Faith No More Helpmeiaminhell - they were quoted as still recording bits and pieces as a band recently. I guess it would work out 2020 at this rate if anything though.

I'm down for some more Orbital next year (despite the record looking like a remix album), and some more Aphex Twin along the lines of Collapse would be a real treat. New Incubus is coming too so that's always nice.

Very pumped for new Rammstein, maybe new Massive Attack might materialise. A UK band I love called Hell Is For Heroes recently reformed and word is they are writing again which I hope comes to fruition next year. New stuff from James Blake, Four Tet, Deftones, Friendly Fires & some new Jarvis Cocker is all incoming also - 2019 is shaping up pretty damn good!

GulDukat
12-24-2018, 06:26 PM
Guns N' Roses-- Brand new album.
Guns N' Roses-- Box set of Chinese Democracy era, never before released songs.
Van Halen- Brand new album.
Soundgarden- Final demos of what would have been their seventh album.
Smashing Pumpkins--Machina​ boxset.

botley
12-24-2018, 06:40 PM
more Aphex Twin along the lines of Collapse would be a real treat.

Yes, please!!

piggy
12-24-2018, 11:22 PM
New shit from MBV, The Cactus Blossoms, The Cure, World Party, Hum. Also live material from The The.

brotha52
12-25-2018, 09:00 AM
It's a long shot but Dead & Company could make something that would sell very well.

botley
12-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Hey, isn't Grimes putting some more music out in 2019? Totally loved that track she did with Hana (http://smarturl.it/weappreciatepower) from last month. Stompy!

MrLobster
12-25-2018, 10:12 PM
Cosey Fanni Tutti (https://cargorecordsdirect.co.uk/products/cosey-fanni-tutti-tutti)
Download (https://brap.bandcamp.com/album/unknown-room)

BRoswell
12-25-2018, 10:40 PM
Looking forward to new Chemical Brothers and (hopefully) My Bloody Valentine and Chromatics, plus the next wave of scores from Trent & Atticus.

deepdeep
12-25-2018, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to new music from Drab Majesty(expected in the Spring!!!!), The Cure, DIIV, and Youth Code. Pretty excited for 2019 in terms of new music...

dlb
12-26-2018, 06:48 AM
- Rammstein obviuously but with little hopes
- anything by Trent, but especially some new NIN if any
- some new Massive Attack would be glorious
- Emma Ruth Rundle shall release something
- anything with Mike Patton
- Russian Circles, please
- Refused, fuck yes!
- the new DC hardcore project Dennis Lyxzen keeps alluding to
- Ladytron
- Lana Del Rey
- the Picturebooks
- Rival Sons
- The Dandy Warhols
- Drenge
- The Claypool Lennon Delirium
- Run the Jewels 4
- Sleaford Mods
- Slipknot, yeah beat me

elevenism
12-26-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm not a big fan of Kanye West's...well, a LOT of shit about him.
But I DO love his production.

And he's supposed to produce the new Chance The Rapper album.
While I didn't love coloring book, Acidrap literally saved my life.
And I adored Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment's Surf.

I also really like various singles from Chano, that he releases now and then.

Finally, I've LOVED Noname since Acidrap, and it would really surprise me if she isn't on at least a couple tracks.

Ye's production is definitely a big part of why I love Jay Z.
I know some of you guys love his voice, and I'm sorry, but I hope he doesn't RAP too much on this thing.

And, yeah, Tool.

Also, I wonder if just MAAAYBE we'll get a little Cold and Black and Infinite live.

botley
08-30-2019, 09:58 PM
Okay, so we're more than halfway through the year and the Tool record is finally out. Think however you want about that, it's certainly got people talking. What other music has been living up to the hype, what's been underwhelming, what are you still holding out hope to hear?

For me, a big surprise was an Australian band called Stonefield, they consist of four sisters (!) who write really cool 70s-jam type rock songs with big catchy melodies. I bought their newest LP called BENT and it's on the way from the land down under to my hot little hands as we speak.

MrLobster
08-30-2019, 10:04 PM
Liked this year;

"Educated Woman" by Amy Nelson
"Unknown Room" by Download
"Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records" by various
"A Pocketful of Posies" by Medięval Bębes

Looking forward to;
"Dreams Are Not Enough" by Telefon Tel Aviv

botley
08-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Liked this year;

"Educated Woman" by Amy Nelson
"Unknown Room" by Download
"Industrial Accident: The Story of Wax Trax! Records" by various
"A Pocketful of Posies" by Medięval Bębes

Looking forward to;
"Dreams Are Not Enough" by Telefon Tel Aviv
Good choices, except the Wax Trax! one can't exactly be called new music, can it? I'm also looking forward to TTA... the two tracks we've heard so far are fantastic. Saul Williams's record was also really cool and raw-sounding, not at all what I expected to hear.

MrLobster
08-30-2019, 10:28 PM
Good choices, except the Wax Trax! one can't exactly be called new music, can it?

Two reasons I include it; it was finally released this year (with four previous unreleased tracks) and because we're finally hearing other tracks at the correct speed (etc.)... so tracks I thought I was familiar with, get to be new too. :) But we should have full disclosure, the "A Pocketful of Posies" release is full of children's nursery rhymes spanning centuries. ;)

botley
08-30-2019, 10:57 PM
Two reasons I include it; it was finally released this year (with four previous unreleased tracks) and because we're finally hearing other tracks at the correct speed (etc.)... so tracks I thought I was familiar with, get to be new too. :) But we should have full disclosure, the "A Pocketful of Posies" release is full of children's nursery rhymes spanning centuries. ;)

Haha! I guess that's quite true :)

Other new acquisitions I'm digging a lot: Thom Yorke's Anima (the deluxe book version is stunning) and the haunting score from HBO's Chernobyl composed by Hildur Gušnadóttir. The new Plaid album, Polymer, is also quite cool, but I need a couple more listens to decide if it's going to be in my top picks for the year. I've been trying to get into T-Bone Burnett's new collaborative project The Invisible Light but it hasn't clicked for me yet. Last one I'll shout out is Christone "Kingfish" Ingram's first album, Kingfish: the kid is like a delta bluesman from the 1940s stepped into a timewarp and was busking in front of Target selling CDs out of a guitar case.

BRoswell
08-31-2019, 12:38 AM
What other music has been living up to the hype, what's been underwhelming, what are you still holding out hope to hear?

Dig It:
Beak>-Life Goes On EP
Com Truise-Persuasion System
Drab Majesty-Modern Mirror
Jenny Lewis-On The Line
The Chemical Brothers-No Geography
The Racounters-Help Us Stranger
Thom Yorke-ANIMA
Tobacco & Aesop Rock-Malibu Ken

Underwhelming:
HOO-Centipede Wisdom
Hot Chip-A Bath Full Of Ecstasy
Saul Williams-Encrypted & Vulnerable

Still Waiting To Hear:
Alessandro Cortini-Volume Massimo
Chromatics-Dear Tommy (Pretty please?)
Telefon Tel Aviv-Dreams Are Not Enough

Soma
08-31-2019, 12:58 AM
Favorites:
Rammstein - S/T
Health - Vol 4 Slaves Of Fear
Tool - Fear Inoculum
Drab Majesty - Modern Mirror
Aesop Rock & Tobacco - Malibu Ken
Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger

Like what I've heard:
Russian Circles - Blood Year
Karen O & Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
Pup - Morbid Stuff
Baroness - Gold & Grey
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Silversun Pickups - Widow's Weeds
Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind
Thom Yorke - Anima
The National - I Am Easy To Find
Lennon Claypool Delirium - South Of Reality

Looking forward to:
Chelsea Wolfe - Birth Of Violence
Alessandro Cortini - Volume Massimo
The Menzingers - Hello Exile
Trent Reznor + Atticus Ross - Watchmen OST

ManBurning
08-31-2019, 01:06 AM
Ah, I was wondering when this thread was going to pop up. I was contemplating creating it a few days ago.

I've been making my list of what I'm looking forward to in 2019.

My most anticipated releases are:
#1 - Rammstein (Q2/Spring)
#2 -TOOL (TBA - Guessing Q2 before the tour starts)

Confirmed releases:
Covenant (January)
A pale horse named death (Jan 18)
The Faint (March 15)
Aesthetic Perfection (March)

Unknown/TBA/Rumored:
KMFDM
Imperative Reaction
The Offspring
Trust

Hey, Look!
I posted in here in December... Now that we are almost 3/4 the way through the year, let's see how my year is shaping up based on what I mentioned above.

From the above mentioned list:
First and foremost, my #1 and #2 most anticipated releases have been released.
As for Rammstein, 9/10. Not let down at all. This is album of the year for me.
As for the new TOOL... Well, ya'll probably know how I feel about that now if you've kept up with the Fear Inoculum thread. 5/10
The Faint - Egowerk - 7/10
Aesthetic Perfection - Into the Black - 5/10

Couple surprises I didn't have on my initial list:
Bring Me The Horizon - Amo - 8/10
Skold - Never is Now - 8/10
Billie Eilish - When we all fall asleep... - 7/10
The Fever 333 - Strength in Numb333rs - 6/10
Priest - Obey - 6/10

Disappointing/Underwhelming releases:
Pup - Morbid Stuff - 4/10
A Pale Horse Named Death - When the world becomes undone - 2/10
TRST- The destroyer Pt.1 - 2/10
Covenant - Fieldworks - 0/10 (good god, was this bad)

Upcoming:
KoRn - The Nothing - Sept 13 (Don't have high hopes for this, but I'm gonna check it out anyway)
KMFDM - Paradise - Sept 27
TRST - The Destroyer Pt.2 - November 1 - (After pt 1, my excitement level for this is way down. But i'm still gonna give it a listen)
Lindemann (Feat. Till Lindemann and Peter tagtgren) - TBA - November
Imperative Reaction - Mirror - TBA
Guns N' Roses - TBA - (You read that right, word on the street is some new GNR material is supposed to drop verrrry soon)
Marilyn Manson - TBA (He keeps saying it'll be out by the end of the year, but I'm guessing it'll be a 2020 release)

botley
08-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Anderson .Paak's Ventura LP snuck up on me, after not really enjoying his stuff since Malibu. But I gotta say the new one is probably my favourite R'n'B record in years!

fillow
08-31-2019, 04:51 PM
*cough* Portishead *cough*

Yeah, so this thing is apparently not even close to being finished, according to recent Geoff's interviews. So much for "it definitely won't take as much time as Third" comments from the band.