PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire

AgentofChaos
12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
If you liked The Sopranos, you'll love this (not sure how there's not a thread for it yet).

Boardwalk Empire chronicles the life and times of Nucky Thompson, the undisputed ruler of Atlantic City in the 1920's, who was equal parts politician and gangster during the prohibition era.

Created by: Terence Winter
Executive Producer: Martin Scorcese

Starring: Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Kelly Macdonald, Michael Shannon

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2011/2/1/1296564058166/Boardwalk-Empire-Steve-Bu-007.jpg

The second season just finished to an epic conclusion. The bad assery of Nucky clearly knows no bounds (I am NOT seeking forgiveness - that line, wow). There are so many great characters too. From Richard Harrow, to Nucky's brother Eli, Al Capone, and of course the incredible Agent Van Alden, I have no concerns that the show will miss a beat now that *SPOILERS* it's missing one the principle cast members *END SPOILERS*.

What did everyone think of that bold move? Are you worried the show won't be the same now?

Sallos
12-23-2011, 09:12 AM
dude fix them spoilers...

great show, really enjoyed the first season, speacillay that first episode directed by scorcese. Need to start downloading season 2 now.

Dra508
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
You better download and watch it now before someone tells you what happens. I didn't think this show deserved it's own thread - considering the season is over too. There was a HBO series thread once.

Whatever, I love Steve Buscemi. The casting, costume design, FX, music are all awesome. Now, the storytelling is quite provocative which is totally what a HBO series can do. My only criticism of the second season is that they sort of failed on the storyline for Van Alden.

decadent
10-17-2012, 06:34 AM
The new season started quite good, it seems that this one will be even darker than the previous.

Last episode was epic, so many storylines opened up and there were some amazing shots as well!

dlb
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
At first I did not know what you would conisder epic about the last episode but holy helll! that scene at Rosetti's? Whoohoo! I still could do without van Alden and have Harrow put in some more. And why did they not include Capone some more in this one? He finally needs to get off the ground within the next few episodes and become the guy he is known for.

Favorite show right now and it's a damn shame not many people talk about it in my parts.

neorev
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
i was kinda losing interest at the start of this season... but HOLY FUCK that last episode was awesome
i mean it felt like the show completely switched up for the better in that episode and i hope it continues
i found the first couple of episodes to be boring to be honest, but man has this last episode kicked into gear and really building the tension now

bobbie solo
10-18-2012, 11:11 PM
fuck i havent been able to snag that new episode yet & now u guys have me salivating.

Dra508
10-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I get the feeling the writers are completely different for every episode and they don't talk or something. Each is given a list of things they have to cover then they improv it: Van Alden - make sure you have a short story about him, make it up as you go. Jimmy's mom - one scene. etc.

Gyp Rossessti (sic) is the best character thrown in this season. Though I like that they brought Nucky's brother back. Something has to happen there - brotherly love and all.

decadent
10-19-2012, 09:32 AM
At first I did not know what you would conisder epic about the last episode but holy helll! that scene at Rosetti's? Whoohoo! I still could do without van Alden and have Harrow put in some more. And why did they not include Capone some more in this one? He finally needs to get off the ground within the next few episodes and become the guy he is known for.

Favorite show right now and it's a damn shame not many people talk about it in my parts.

I want to see Val Alden turn totally bad-ass by starting to work for the flowers-guy. I think they are heading in this direction and this would be fun to see, especially as his wife also showed her dark side. For me the most boring part is Margaret trying to make the world a better place. And I think she will start something with the doctor soon. Rosetti and Capone are the best, really waiting for the shitstom that is on the way now!

dlb
10-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Ah well, both of them had THEIR moment this season, Rosetti at the very last episode and Capone at last week's one. I sincerely hope they will pick up where they started with both of them. Rosetti being the guy who's got a bit more exposure throughtout, but they need to finally let him loose.

As with van Alden: I really don't know where they will take him. His "new" wife" seemed rather suspicious from the start. Now they are partners in crime. Let's see where that is going to lead. But as I said, their storyline is the least interesting to me. Whereas Margeret still has something going on for Owen and I'm really waiting for that to get onto screen again and Nuckey finding out. Owen is becoming more and more suspicious as well, especially during his and Nucky's wait in the cellar. Something is brewing up between the two of them and I have a slight feeling that he is going to be the next one putting Nucky's trust to the test.

I've done some research recently and if the writers and producers are staying true to the historic facts than we won't see anyone dying soon, expcept for the fictionial characters. No Micky and no O'Bannion will be the victim in this season it seems and I could have sworn that either of them will bite the dust soon. Rosetti will be killed of for sure at the season's finale, at least that's what I think is the most obvious, but consider me wrong on this one. I wouldn't mind him returning in season 04 though.

Dra508
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
No Gyp. Me so sad.

thevoid99
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Finally! Nelson finally did something to those dickwads at the iron-selling place. And his European wife finally showed him the upside of selling booze.

And then, that ending...

neorev
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
wow, no one is talking about the most insane episode of "Boardwalk Empire" to ever happen this past Sunday? this season has turned from blah to epic

mfte
11-13-2012, 05:56 PM
wow, no one is talking about the most insane episode of "Boardwalk Empire" to ever happen this past Sunday? this season has turned from blah to epic

That Admiral's hat.

dlb
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Good god that annoying Billie Kent is gone! Now the only character that needs to be killed of is Gillian. As Nucky already mentioned, she doesn't serve any purpose at all and is only existent because she's allowed to. Glad Richard got his uplifting moment this episode.

The future doesn't look all that bright for Nucky. I'm more than psyched for how this will turn out and how he manages to deal with Rosetti and Masseria. But am I the only one finding it rather odd that out of all people who came to Nucky's place Rothstein made a step back? I mean the bomb was meant for him aswell, wasn't it?

This season remains a bit odd, but they sure know how to keep me watching. :)

sa_nick
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Glad Richard got his uplifting moment this episode.

I liked that too, until I realised it means he'll probably be killed off in a few episodes. No one can ever continuing living once they're happy.

thevoid99
11-13-2012, 10:04 PM
That was a great episode. I actually liked Billie Kent but she wasn't the right woman for Nucky. Rosetti looks stupid in that hat.

r_z
11-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Am I the only one finding it rather odd that out of all people who came to Nucky's place Rothstein made a step back? I mean the bomb was meant for him aswell, wasn't it?

Rothstein surely isn't the type of guy who's interested in fighting a war. He will eventually settle with Masseria, who just cut his ties to Rosetti, and watch safely how the Rosetti/Nucky beef further unfolds. Also, they need a reason for Rothstein to be killed off (as he was in RL in 1928). And what better reason than revenge through a guy that was abandonend by Rothstein?

dlb
11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
You're right. I did not think that through and damn I was doing some research though knowing that BE is highly fictionalized, but I did not bother to look up Rothstein.

Which year are we in right now? 1923? Still a long time to go until some of the more important people in the series will meet their real life fate.

@sa_nick: the only way I can imaging Richard dying is through his own hands. I sure as hell hope that they won't have Gilian being his end. Who btw should be choked by Rosetti this season IMHO.

mfte
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
They better not kill off Richard as he is the only character (who isnts a small child) on that show with any redeeming qualities.

I hope Gillian goes soon... they are sure writing her to be hated by everybody.

Dra508
11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
They better not kill off Richard as he is the only character (who isnts a small child) on that show with any redeeming qualities.

I hope Gillian goes soon... they are sure writing her to be hated by everybody.Agreed.

Gillian is a total narcissist. I hope Richard just takes the kid and leaves town with him and the new girl.

And why no talk here about Owen and Margaret. He might be the dead man walking....

thevoid99
11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Owen No!!!! Rosetti is a dick. Margaret's bombshell... oh fuck.

Baphomette
11-19-2012, 03:35 AM
No. Nononononononononononono. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

mfte
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
No. Nononononononononononono. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

That's how I feel. I knew his fate was sealed the second she asked him to leave with her.

BrokenSpiral
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Why can't Margaret go? I can't stand her. Rosetti is one bad motherfucker.

Magtig
11-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Huh, well at least he wasn't offed by Nucky. That scene with the shovel... jesus. I think he cums when he kills people (or feels something similar to it).

dlb
11-21-2012, 04:37 AM
This was so bound to happen, but I did not think about it this way. What a though nut. Who gave him away? Agent Sawicki? How did Lucky know? The whole plotting of the action in Nucky's office seemed way too unwary to function. And Margarets revelation? Owen was much too distracted to take care of such delicate matters at this point. Guess Nucky is all by himself right now unless someone else comes to the rescue and if you've seen the previews you know who it is, although you might have already guessed it last episode when he came into Nucky's place, but did not really get what he wanted. I think they will definitely come to terms now.

Also concerning the preview: Richard opening a case full of guns? Fuck yeah! People are going to die and I surely hope he will not be one of them in the end, too. What could be seen looks like armageddon in Atlantic City making the bomb look like a cough.

And more than Rosetti I am hoping for Gilian to hang off of a tree by season's end.

sa_nick
11-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Huh, well at least he wasn't offed by Nucky.

That seemed like it was going to be the way he'd go. It'd certainly be the most dramatic. I guess the writers knew the audience had already thought of it though so why not surprise them and just kill him off some other way?

Dra508
11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
And why no talk here about Owen and Margaret. He might be the dead man walking....OK, who called it? Thank you, thank you.

I think with Nucky and Margaret mourning for others they might just pull that: "we're better together than apart" love story wrap up. I'm hear to tell you that that's a miserable life. Don't do it Margaret! Run, run for your life!

Agent Alden - when is this story actually going to make sense?

dlb
11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Hmm, maybe van Alden will lead Capone and his gang right up to O'Bannion's doorstep. O'Bannion died in 1924 so his days are quite numbered although I doubt the makers will wrap it up in these last two episodes. Who else has the impression that Rosetti will live on? There is something about him that makes me think he will survive this season.

BrokenSpiral
11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah I haven't underatood the lingering van Alden storyline. He's so uninteresting. Rossetti has to survive I think he's like the ultimate bad guy. I'd like to see him again next season.

Dra508
11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/430726_497060653658352_310133423_n.png

Magtig
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
The Agent Alden storyline has been meandering about for some time now. Obviously they're showing how someone like him gradually comes to work for the organized crime operations he used to abhor (a sort of Walter White-ish subplot). Normally I would be annoyed with a seemingly aimless storyline like this, but Alden is so completely at odds with himself that it's still compelling to watch him writhe. He's done so many bad things, but I still can't help but sympathize with him.

thevoid99
11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh... shit's going to go down in the next episode. Seeing Harrow getting his guns. Man, he is definitely ready for a bloodbath.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
11-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm so excited and hopeful that I might see Gillian dead before the credits roll on season three.

Kind of worried, though, about Richard making it out alive.

dlb
11-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Now how awesome does this look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1QUpNkHag

Best thing about the preview? a hand wrapping around Gillian's throat!

Dra508
11-30-2012, 01:59 PM
The Agent Alden storyline has been meandering about for some time now. Obviously they're showing how someone like him gradually comes to work for the organized crime operations he used to abhor (a sort of Walter White-ish subplot). Normally I would be annoyed with a seemingly aimless storyline like this, but Alden is so completely at odds with himself that it's still compelling to watch him writhe. He's done so many bad things, but I still can't help but sympathize with him.This story has just flat out disappeared. Unless he and Richard were in the back of that mob that Eli and Capone showed up with. I miss Owen too.

dlb
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm curious if we will see some van Alden in the season finale or if Capone left him "at home" and he will guide him to O'Bannion next season. Richard is probably aiming up to shoot Tommy out of that fucking whorehouse while helping Nucky and friends in the course.

I wonder what's in store for next season? Will Rosetti life? Is Masseria still a threat? Will we see the ultimate rise of Capone and him killing O'Bannion and his men? What about Luciano, will he get his feet up off the ground together with Lansky independent from Rothstein? So much to do and I can't wait to see where they will be going.

thevoid99
12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Richard Harrow... FTW!!!!! Dude is a killin' machine. The way he whacked that guy to save Tommy. Al Capone and Chalky White as a team... deadly combo.

Presideo
12-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Enjoyable season with a very climactic finale - Fall 2013 can't come soon enough Also glad they killed off Rosetti. He reminded me of an antagonist from the Sopranos; served his purpose in the show and was fun to watch while doing it, but any more of the guy would have been overkill.

r_z
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I think, out of all three, I liked this season the best. Rothstein could have had more screen time 'though, as the guy literally steals every scene he's in. Fantastic actor.

Dra508
12-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Aldeeeeeeen where are you.?!?!

Nice ending. Clears the slate for more story telling.

neorev
12-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Season 3... hands down the best

mfte
12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
The Gillian Chip confrontation at the end was a little wobbly...

BrokenSpiral
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Is harrow in the Guinness black commercial I keep seeing?

dlb
01-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Yes, it's him! And if Harrow drinks it, I'll have one too!

Now they just have to put Buscemi into one of these Pimm's commercials! >:)

Baphomette
09-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Wow. That was a terribly weak first episode. Way too many new characters.

thevoid99
09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I thought it was pretty good. For me, it was Harrow that made the episode. I just want more of him. He's a badass.

neorev
09-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Yeah, first episode was not too thrilling...
give me more Harrow!

Dra508
09-11-2013, 07:16 AM
I have to watch it again. I'm actually a bit confused. Perhaps it's the new characters. Gillian shooting up? Yeah, I smell Nucky saving her in the end. Or not. That dude is turning more soul-less than ever. His brother is now his loving self.

Dra508
09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
That scene with the broken bottle was fucking brutal :eek:

Maybe it's me, but I feel like the violence has gone up a level. The last scene from last night's episode was grooooossss.

Glad to see Van Alden's story is swinging back in. I'm dying for that guy to end up back in front of Nucky.

mfte
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Eli's kid is in ALOT of trouble.

That shot of the dead kid was haunting.

thevoid99
10-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Eli's kid is in ALOT of trouble.

That shot of the dead kid was haunting.

That was fucked up. It was good to see Eddie socializing and having fun until he gets nabbed by Knox. The highlight for me is Meyer Lansky stepping up and becoming Nucky's new secret partner for the Florida deal and beating the shit out of that guy outside.

sa_nick
10-02-2013, 12:59 AM
It's already shaping up to be an awesome season. Loved seeing Rothstein in his "rough patch" and yeah, the stuff with Willy was predictably fucked up. The way the foamy blood dribbled down to his wide open eyes certainly made an impact. Boardwalk Empire just knows how to make their violence less gory and more haunting.

Oh and this... http://hbowatch.com/boardwalk-empire-season-5-is-official/ :D

Oh and it was cool seeing the dude who voices Michael in GTA V on screen too. About half way through that poker scene I picked up on his voice.

Second edit! That line where Eddie says one of his sons is a burgermeister and Ralph Capone is like "oh, a chef!". Man, even without any Harrow this has been the best episode of the season.

dlb
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Eddie singing at the top of his lungs was a highlight! :D

mfte
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm really not sure what is left for Richard to do. Where can he go? I want to say that the show might be better long term if he was to disappear for a season and then return triumphantly.

It's like Van Olden, he was so amazing to watch as a figure of authority, a total bloodhound following a scent. Seeing him now as the impotent Frank Muller is a little sad.... comic but sad. It feels like they dont know what to do with him. I hope that doesnt happen to Richard.

r_z
10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm predicting Rothstein will be gone by the end of this season. Would be a shame though, as the actor is literally stealing the show everytime he's in a scene...

mfte
10-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Eddie.... Noooooooooooo!

thevoid99
10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Eddie.... Noooooooooooo!

I know. I'm going to miss that guy. At least he didn't get whacked and died on his own terms.

mfte
10-15-2013, 07:51 AM
I know. I'm going to miss that guy. At least he didn't get whacked and died on his own terms.

I dont know seems like he was forced into a corner with that one.

The last episode wasn't that great. Why would Eli trust that little weirdo with anything?

thevoid99
10-15-2013, 02:14 PM
I dont know seems like he was forced into a corner with that one.

The last episode wasn't that great. Why would Eli trust that little weirdo with anything?

I don't think Eli trusts Knox at all after finding about that handkerchief.

Dra508
10-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Boardwalk Empire just knows how to make their violence less gory and more haunting.
Like the Machete in the head??

Patricia Arquette is so sexy. She got Nucky to punch in the face!

thevoid99
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
I think Nucky finally met his match. Not to mention that she's fucking gorgeous.

sa_nick
10-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Like the Machete in the head??

It's not about the act itself, it's about the way they show you the violence. How it's lit, how it's framed and edited. When a death occurs like his or the college kid's they tend to go for the haunting feeling to really get you to think about the consequences of that death. The straight out gory, sensationalised deaths (like a shotgun to the face, say) are cool too, though. They're usually more sudden and just give you a quick "holy shit!" moment, but ultimately don't stay etched in your mind.

Dra508
10-20-2013, 01:57 PM
It's not about the act itself, it's about the way they show you the violence. How it's lit, how it's framed and edited. When a death occurs like his or the college kid's they tend to go for the haunting feeling to really get you to think about the consequences of that death. The straight out gory, sensationalised deaths (like a shotgun to the face, say) are cool too, though. They're usually more sudden and just give you a quick "holy shit!" moment, but ultimately don't stay etched in your mind.

Oh yeah, that image was haunting, fo sure-

thevoid99
10-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Damn... that girl Eli was with is fine!!! Daughter Maitland... mmm, mmm, mmm! That Dr. Narcisse is evil. Stirring up the pot.

Dra508
10-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I so relate to Patrica Arquette's character. How likely there was a woman that strong and direct during that period of time is questionable. Few and far between. Nucky doesn't know what to do with her. Well, actually he did - or she did, they did.

Coming attractions are looking good for next week.

thevoid99
10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
That scene where Chalky burns up all of that heroin in front of Dr. Narcisse is awesome. It's on!

Dra508
11-10-2013, 07:52 PM
"George, settle down, relax"

Bahhaaaaa

thevoid99
11-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Man, that was a really good episode tonight. Masseria and Dr. Narcisse... oh fuck. They even paid off Bader as well. Shit. Nucky and Chalky are in trouble. They need Capone but he's in trouble too.

Dra508
11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Man, that was a really good episode tonight. Masseria and Dr. Narcisse... oh fuck. They even paid off Bader as well. Shit. Nucky and Chalky are in trouble. They need Capone but he's in trouble too.

They need George!!

mfte
11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Does Nucky know there's something up with Eli?

He has to?

thevoid99
11-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Does Nucky know there's something up with Eli?

He has to?

I think he knows something is up and he is confiding on his nephew to find out.

mfte
11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I think he knows something is up and he is confiding on his nephew to find out.

What about Gillian? She was always so hated and the moment she start to redeem herself, she has the rug pulled from underneath her.

thevoid99
11-19-2013, 10:12 PM
What about Gillian? She was always so hated and the moment she start to redeem herself, she has the rug pulled from underneath her.

You know something. As much as I hated her, I felt sorry for her in the end because she was trying to start anew and instead loses everything so I think it's the last time we see her.

Dra508
11-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Aww man, Harrow.

thevoid99
11-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Aww man, Harrow.

I know but still, they at least gave him a glimpse of what would happen if he did go home and w/o the disfigured face. What's going to happen next? Dr. Narcisse is likely to get out as he's not done w/ Nucky or Chalky while Eli is in Chicago w/ Capone and Van Alden.

mfte
11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Wow. What an ending. I almost shed a tear there, which doesn't happen too often with TV shows. I can't believe they ended it like they did. On one hand it's a big risk to kill a character that's not only everyone's fav BUT arguably also the heart of the show. On the other hand, he was my favourite character and the heart of that show so f*** them. I hope the writers know what they are doing.

I think Narcisse is done. With that last "Yes, sir" he finally admits to his own hypocrisy and loses the fight. There is no longer any need for him. I have no idea what can happen with Chalky. I can't see what more he can do.

I dont like Willy. He seems like slimy opportunist with a hard on for his uncle.

Nice to see Jimmy again.

Great show. I dont know why it doesnt get more love.

Dra508
11-27-2013, 03:24 PM
I think Narcisse is done. With that last "Yes, sir" he finally admits to his own hypocrisy and loses the fight. There is no longer any need for him. I have no idea what can happen with Chalky. I can't see what more he can do.

. keeping with the ripped from the headlines story usage, Narcisse will continue.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/boardwalk-empire-terence-winter-season-four-finale-interview.html

Dra508
10-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Really, no one is watching the last season?

thevoid99
10-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Really, no one is watching the last season?

I am. I'm bummed that they killed off Sally but I am having fun seeing Stephen Graham go full on as Al Capone.

Dra508
10-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I am. I'm bummed that they killed off Sally but I am having fun seeing Stephen Graham go full on as Al Capone.

I'm actually hopeful that Mueller/Alden gets some sort of redemption. Don't know how, but it'd be nice.

mfte
10-11-2014, 05:42 PM

I am going to miss that sassy lady too. I guess since this is the last season they need to start wrapping things up, and killing Sally closes the Cuba loop.

I really miss Arnold Rothstein. He was such a highlight of that show but did die die in 1928 so I respect them for sticking to historical accuracy, for the most part.

The young Nuch story line is interesting enough. Whoever that is playing him at teen age really did their homework because they have the mannerisms down perfectly. I hope that it doesn't take too much away from the story lines of the other characters.

thevoid99
10-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I hope in the flashbacks, we get to meet the younger versions of Chalky and also Gillian. Plus, I also like how Margaret has managed to do things and I think she and Nucky kind of belong to each other as she is his rock and he is someone that can help her do business.

Dra508
10-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Check your spoilers folks.

Tonight's episode while needed was deeply disappointing.

thevoid99
10-13-2014, 01:05 AM
So that is how Nucky and Eli met Gillian? Wow.... and Dr. Narcisse is now Luciano's bitch... what a way to fall.

mfte
10-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh man. I am sad for Van Olden.... I really wished that he couldve got some redemption. He has been kicked around the entire series.

The one thing I didn't get was how Nucky was out drinking and noone seemed to know who he is in his own town.

Surely those seedy bar folks would have recognized him.

thevoid99
10-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Now the series is going into a world of doom. Mickey... NO!!!! I was almost rooting for him to make it to the end. Nucky's empire has crumbled and all he has left is family and lots of bad memories and regrets. That letter from Gillian was haunting as there is still one chance for Nucky to find redemption.

Dra508
10-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Now the series is going into a world of doom. Mickey... NO!!!! I was almost rooting for him to make it to the end. Nucky's empire has crumbled and all he has left is family and lots of bad memories and regrets. That letter from Gillian was haunting as there is still one chance for Nucky to find redemption.

Really did a lot of wrapping up, they did. I'm further impressed by the show's ability to find these younger folk to play the characters in the past. Gillian's younger version was spot on with her speech pattern. Also, I knew the Commodore was disgusting, but ewwwwwww.

mfte
10-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Will Gillian get a lobotomy?

Dra508
10-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Will Gillian get a lobotomy?

That would be historically accurate.

decadent
10-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Well in the last shot they showed of her she looked terrified and there was a shadow coming over her. My prediction is that Nucky will go over there to save her only to find out that she already had the lobotomy and wouldn`t even recognize him.

Dra508
10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Well in the last shot they showed of her she looked terrified and there was a shadow coming over her. My prediction is that Nucky will go over there to save her only to find out that she already had the lobotomy and wouldn`t even recognize him.You're probably right. It'd be to trite for Nucky to save her now. He has not saved one person yet. Maybe his wife will save him. Yeah, I'm going to put my money on her.

mfte
10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
You're probably right. It'd be to trite for Nucky to save her now. He has not saved one person yet. Maybe his wife will save him. Yeah, I'm going to put my money on her.

My guess is that the show ends with him in jail. Or maybe that hick kid he kicks out of his hotel room kills him. It would be fitting since he looks a little like Jimmy Dormady.... Wouldnt it be interesting if that kid turned out to to be Jimmy's son? Or is he too old?

All signs point to Gillian getting a long sharp instrument into the frontal lobe but at the same time this season has been so depressing that they might want to have someone get out alive.

neorev
10-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Color me deeply disappointed...

Ugh, really... so me and my girl's prediction from the start sadly came true in the end...
and we really cannot believe that was the route they went on.

Sure, I can see it for the whole "Oh shit!" shock value.
But once you really start asking questions and looking deeper into it, it really just doesn't make any sense and comes off as just a stupid, quickly thrown together, half ass attempt to bring things to a "conclusion."

Is this really the only way HBO knows how to handle their lead character at the end of a series?

Sure, this last season wasn't all that great with very, very few great moments spread thin amongst a lot of "blah, blah, blah... YOU'RE DEAD!... blah, blah, blah... OH, AND YOU'RE DEAD!... blah, blah, blah."
But man does that ending make this whole show feel like bullshit.

Don't get me started on Chalky White's absolutely pointless dragged out appearance that was all for nothing in this season while a great character like Arnold Rothstein's death is a mere "Oh, hey did you know A.R. died while we were away?"

And I really did love this show.

I rather the show was canceled and just ended instead of getting this abomination of a season.

sa_nick
10-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I dug it. I thought it made a lot of sense given how obvious things were. Almost everything wrapped up in the way you'd expect. I didn't need any twists or surprises, I just sat back and enjoyed the well crafted final episode. It was never about what would happen but HOW they'd present it. Nucky's greed and the things he does to get ahead has been the major theme since early on, they just followed it out til the end and remained true to what the show has been. Honestly, I liked it more than the Breaking Bad final.

thevoid99
10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I thought it was an excellent finale. The reveal of Tommy wasn't handled so well but the sense of closure towards Margaret and Eli were at least comforting. Margaret proves to be a mover and a shaker while Nucky at least gives Eli money and a chance to reclaim his family.

pwing47
10-27-2014, 11:07 PM
Or maybe that hick kid he kicks out of his hotel room kills him. It would be fitting since he looks a little like Jimmy Dormady.... Wouldnt it be interesting if that kid turned out to to be Jimmy's son? Or is he too old?

All signs point to Gillian getting a long sharp instrument into the frontal lobe but at the same time this season has been so depressing that they might want to have someone get out alive.

Guess you win. Now that the show is over, I can finally research all of these people on Wikipedia without it being spoilery. Interested to see how much of the series was at least semi-based on real history.

Dra508
10-28-2014, 10:56 AM
You'll see that the real Nucky lives his days out in surburabia.
mfte wins the day on picking Tommy to finish off the story. I thought it was a fitting end scene giving that Nucky gave away Gillian's innocence to successed, to have her offspring tell him it wasn't worth the money.

I agree that Chalky's ending was meh. Overall, I don't regret watching the show. You can't make everyone happy.

Space Suicide
12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
So, been avoiding the thread and have waited for this show to conclude before I even bother delving into it. I've been wanting to watch it since around season 4. I recently snagged season one blu-ray for a whopping $12.50. Been excited to watch this series and have been waiting to find them to buy for a good price. Definitely going to watch it immediately when it comes in the mail.