PDA

View Full Version : Comics!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

marodi
11-24-2014, 09:33 PM
"For pureness of heart is the greatest magic of all!"- Loki

Loki the Sarcasm Master? Please tell me that's it.

orestes
11-24-2014, 09:57 PM
No, the latest Marvel "event" is AXIS, which has people's moral codes inverted. Certain superheroes are now "evil" and villains, such as Loki and Amora are "good" and "heroic". (I'm not reading these titles, so this is just a very brief summary.) Good Loki is so damn treacle it's vomit-inducing. Thankfully, this won't last long so Loki will be back to the moral grey zone I like him in.

Btw, that unicorn is Loki because of course he would magic into a goddamn unicorn as a "good" person.

marodi
11-24-2014, 10:02 PM
WTF.

The Loki I like would never turn into a unicorn or if he did, it would be to stab someone with that horn. :P

henryeatscereal
11-24-2014, 10:36 PM
AXIS does not appeal to me, i think Marvel's latest crossovers have been lackluster to say the least, checked "Original Sins" out of curiosity and it ended up being illogical and arbitrary, i guess AXIS is similar...

orestes
11-24-2014, 10:49 PM
The only thing I liked out of Original Sin was the Tenth Realm supplement.

henryeatscereal
11-24-2014, 11:50 PM
The only thing I liked out of Original Sin was the Tenth Realm supplement.
Didn't read that one, it's the one were Angela is revealed as Thor's sister, right?

orestes
11-24-2014, 11:59 PM
That would be the one.

henryeatscereal
11-25-2014, 12:23 AM
If you recommend it, i'll check it...

orestes
11-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Basically, it reads like a mashup of Loki: Agent of Asgard and Thor: God of Thunder. A fun read!

orestes
12-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Anyone else pick up Bitch Planet today?

henryeatscereal
12-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Going to in a little while (in Mexico the new comics arrive almost always on thursday...)

I'm also looking forward for "Nameless" by Chris Burnham and Grant Morrison, apparently there will be 6 issues, checked if it was coming out but apparently it's coming next year.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/1de8e6eace6c23435bdacf7c8efca474/tumblr_n07di2XbK11sockuoo1_1280.jpg

implanted_microchip
12-21-2014, 04:59 PM
So I've been going through this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mIvr7JiNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't read anywhere near as many comics as I wish I did, and am currently making my way through Morrison's Batman run as well, and while I definitely think I've not seen half the great things comics have to offer, Morrison is by far my favorite writer in the medium. The Invisibles is one of the craziest, most creatively out there things I've touched. Reading it in an omnibus is a bit of a bitch, but it's awesome to have everything collected in one place and not feel like I'm missing out or getting things in the wrong order (trying to find reading lists for his Batman run that aren't all over the place and telling me "Read ___ #_-_ and then jump back to ___" is driving me insane).

It's a mess of a series but I love that about it so far, and I'm maybe over halfway now. The thing that attracts me so much to a lot of Grant's stuff is how goddamned ambitious the guy is in pretty much everything he gets involved in, and this is one of the best examples of that.

thelastdisciple
02-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Anybody been checking out Marvel's Star Wars comics?

Love how Darth Vader is tied in to the main series.

There are some things that happen I'm not overly crazy about but otherwise they haven't been too bad and I'm certainly interested in where else they're going with it.

orestes
02-16-2015, 06:41 PM
I picked up Darth Vader last week but I haven't read it yet. Has anyone else been reading Angela: Asgard's Assassin because holy cow!

henryeatscereal
02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm buying Star Wars, so far i have read the first issue, i liked it but i hate the fact that i'll have to buy all the "spinoffs" to get the whole story...

implanted_microchip
02-16-2015, 09:36 PM
I'm buying Star Wars, so far i have read the first issue, i liked it but i hate the fact that i'll have to buy all the "spinoffs" to get the whole story...
Dark Horse did some massive Star Wars crossover series that pulled the same type of marketing shit, think it was called Legacy. I stopped caring as soon as I realized how many books I'd need to be buying.

henryeatscereal
02-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Dark Horse did some massive Star Wars crossover series that pulled the same type of marketing shit, think it was called Legacy. I stopped caring as soon as I realized how many books I'd need to be buying.
Yeah, i follow way too much series, as much as i would like to get it all it's impossible to me.

valiantsteed
02-18-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

There are only two ongoing books right now with Star Wars at Marvel. 'Star Wars', which is a stand alone book, and 'Darth Vader', which is also a stand alone book. One is from a Rebel perspective, one is from the Imperial perspective. Sure there will be some crossover in terms of timelines as the both take place between ANH and ESB, but none is required reading to follow the others story. It's not like there will be a 6 part mini that will span both books as Marvel is prone to do with a lot of their other titles. I mean maybe they do that down the road, but it is not in the cards as of yet. The only other things announced are a Leia mini, and a Kanan the last Padawan mini.

So I'm really not sure how you are making that conclusion when so far only 3 total issues have been published, and you've read a total of one of them.

henryeatscereal
02-18-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

There are only two ongoing books right now with Star Wars at Marvel. 'Star Wars', which is a stand alone book, and 'Darth Vader', which is also a stand alone book. One is from a Rebel perspective, one is from the Imperial perspective. Sure there will be some crossover in terms of timelines as the both take place between ANH and ESB, but none is required reading to follow the others story. It's not like there will be a 6 part mini that will span both books as Marvel is prone to do with a lot of their other titles. I mean maybe they do that down the road, but it is not in the cards as of yet. The only other things announced are a Leia mini, and a Kanan the last Padawan mini.

So I'm really not sure how you are making that conclusion when so far only 3 total issues have been published, and you've read a total of one of them.
I'm making that conclusion because of thelastdisciple's post, of course i can follow 1 series and get the story, yet everyone knows how Marvel (and many other companies) do things for that matter, all three books (SW, Vader, Leia miniseries) focus on the same time space, so in order to get the "whole experience" i have to get them all.
I know nobody is forcing me but i buy a lot of comics as it is i can't afford to get 3 series (assuming i don't buy Kanan, that from my understanding doesn't have to do with the "current" series), that's all, i don't have to read them all to know that Marvel is doing that, i read a bunch of comics websites, i already know they are "standalone series" but they can easily tie together, i've been a long time comic fan and i know that happens eventually, specially in Marvel...

hellospaceboy
02-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Anybody else will be picking up Fight Club 2 monthly? It looks fun, and David Mack is a big favorite of mine, so it's a good start. The first few pages are available online.
(There's also a fake board game art to promote the book and it looks fuckin' fun!)
http://www.slashfilm.com/fight-club-board-game/

hellospaceboy
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
It's official now: the webcomic that I'm writing is being re-published as a weekly feature on the Heavy Metal Magazine website! Page #1 went online yesterday! http://www.heavymetal.com

henryeatscereal
02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Congratulations! i've been looking to read new webcomics since the ones i used to read ended abruptly...

hellospaceboy
03-17-2015, 01:37 AM
I can't be the only one excited about this!!!

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr56/PhantomTroublemaker/Comic%20Books/Previews%20January%202015/IMG_20150102_0015-page-0_zps86656b6e.jpg

hellospaceboy
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
UPDATE: I should've not been so excited! I bought The Fly Outbreak yesterday, and I was really disappointed by it. The writing sucked. The art sucked.

henryeatscereal
03-19-2015, 10:28 PM
UPDATE: I should've not been so excited! I bought The Fly Outbreak yesterday, and I was really disappointed by it. The writing sucked. The art sucked.
Such a shame, i liked the idea, too

gorast
04-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Hawkeye #22 doesn't come out until June 10 now. This coming after it was delayed from 2014 to 2015, from February to April. This is a fucking travesty. Who the fuck is responsible for this? Is it Fraction? Aja? Is no one able to edit this fucking comic and publish it? Fuck, I'll take Fraction's fucking handwritten script at this point! I guarantee that no one cares about the end of Fraction's run at this point because it should have ended a year and a half ago. This is utter insanity. They'd better have a god damn unassailable reason for this horse shit.

I would also like to add that the sequel run to this, All-New Hawkeye, is THREE ISSUES IN. THREE ISSUES IN AND THE PREVIOUS RUN STILL IS NOT OVER.

orestes
04-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Fraction turned in his script last fall. If anything, Marvel pushed it back to coincide with AoU. The omnibus has also been pushed back as well, which I had planned to pick up. I can see why Fraction has moved on to creator-owned titles.

Speaking of Barton, did anyone else wish Netflix would develop a Hawkeye series while watching the Russian arc of Daredevil?

Shadaloo
04-22-2015, 06:00 PM
You, yes you.

Do this.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-comics/attach/3/9/4/0/7/transformers-comics-more-than-meets-the-eye-issue-12-cover-ri_1358571958.jpg

If you're in any way, shape or form a Transformers fan, you owe it to yourself to read this series. Probably the best any TF fiction has ever been. James Roberts has basically redefined Cybertron and done wonderful things with obscure characters and the TF world in general. It's smart, funny, nuanced, and addictive as all hell. Caste systems, shadow governments, genderless relationships...it never ceases to amaze. Can't recommend enough.

henryeatscereal
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
^Man, that's some sick cover!

Hawkeye #22 doesn't come out until June 10 now. This coming after it was delayed from 2014 to 2015, from February to April. This is a fucking travesty. Who the fuck is responsible for this? Is it Fraction? Aja? Is no one able to edit this fucking comic and publish it? Fuck, I'll take Fraction's fucking handwritten script at this point! I guarantee that no one cares about the end of Fraction's run at this point because it should have ended a year and a half ago. This is utter insanity. They'd better have a god damn unassailable reason for this horse shit.

I would also like to add that the sequel run to this, All-New Hawkeye, is THREE ISSUES IN. THREE ISSUES IN AND THE PREVIOUS RUN STILL IS NOT OVER.
As Orestes said, Marvel is "holding" the issue, i believe it also has to do with "Secret Wars" and the fact they wanted (most of) all ongoing Marvel series to "end" in June right before the crossover, yeah you know, typical Marvel/DC bullshit...

Speaking of Hawkeye, i just finished the first trade and i enjoyed it a lot, Fraction is not the greatest writer ever but he sure knows how to make a book entertaining and different (Bendis doesn't...).
I'll buy volume 2, next week, i hope the series stay as good as it started...

gorast
04-23-2015, 02:12 PM
That's all well and good, but this comic still should have ended a year ago. I don't know what Marvel is even fucking thinking. Is there suddenly a Secret Wars tie-in right at the end? Hawkeye and Kate witness an incursion in Aja's art style? Is it just a big fucking dog face hanging in the sky?

Fuck Marvel and fuck whoever had the audacity to suggest this fucking bullshit. Secret Wars is going to suck just like every other shitty crossover they've done.

henryeatscereal
04-23-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm actually dropping all Marvel stuff i'm buying when the series end, with the exception of Amazing Spiderman (or whatever is called after Secret Wars...), i've followed Spidey most of my (reading) life...

october_midnight
04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Francis Tsai died. Bummer, his work was seriously legit. When he got diagnosed with ALS and couldn't use his hands, he started to draw with his feet. Once he couldn't use his feet, he used programs to draw with his freaking eyes. Guy was made of steel. Look his stuff up, it's great.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b1/f6/57/b1f657be8478bde911b6820c5b32467d.jpg

october_midnight
04-24-2015, 03:54 PM
WHAT THE FUCK.

@FrankMillerInk I hope that by now my silence is deafening.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDYYTFBWEAAPoHN.jpg

“THE DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE” is the sequel to Miller’s 1986 classic THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS – heralded by TIME Magazine as one of the 10 greatest graphic novels of all time – and its 2001-2002 follow-up series BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN.
Miller will be joined by acclaimed writer Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER, and WONDER WOMAN) on the eight-issue comic book periodical, to be published twice a month under the DC Comics imprint. Marking the 30th anniversary of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS original series, this periodical is slated for publication beginning in late Fall 2015.
“Batman remains my favorite comic book hero and a sequel to Dark Knight is going to be daunting,” said Miller, “but we’ll do our best.”

“We are thrilled to have Frank back home at DC writing Batman,” according to Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, Co-Publishers for DC Entertainment. “The story he and Brian have crafted is an astounding and triumphant conclusion to this seminal body of work which influenced and shaped generations of readers and creators alike.”
According to Azzarello, “It’s been an amazing experience collaborating with Frank these past six months. I think we have an epic story that these characters truly deserve.”
Artists for the project have yet to be announced.

Shadaloo
04-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Oh, great. IMO Miller has been embarrassingly awful for well over a decade now and, as good as Azzarello's Luthor: Man of Steel was, I loathed and despised Joker. HATED it.

This just makes me sad.

orestes
04-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Master Race? Eww.

DF118
04-26-2015, 11:14 PM
At least he's not writing it solo. I'm assuming Azzarello is sober.

henryeatscereal
04-27-2015, 12:55 PM
I don't see any good reason to do a third part for DK (oh yeah, that's right:$$$).
Also, i don't care for Miller's work anymore: "Dark Night 2" was awful, "All Star Batman and Robin" was stupid and the less we talk about "Holy Terror", the better...

orestes
05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
In light of Hawkeye's development in Age of Ultron, Marvel's marketing reason to push back Hawkeye makes absolutely no sense.

Who's picking up titles tomorrow for FCBD 2015?

henryeatscereal
05-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I'm waking up early, the past year was crazy, too many people, i don't want to wait in the sun forever, but i really want that sweet "Fight Club" comic...

Space Suicide
05-02-2015, 12:59 AM
Going tomorrow.

Getting Doctor Who, Attack on Titan, Wonderland and a few others. But those 3 are top priority.

hellospaceboy
05-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Went this morning to pick up the Fight Club preview and Doctor Who. And while I didn't know anything about this title, I had to get a copy of Terrible Lizard, the one with the girl riding that ugly-ass T-Rex, it looked so much fun!

gorast
05-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Avengers had a fantastic conclusion going into Secret Wars. New Avengers didn't make sense on the first run, but it did on the second. I know that Hickman's entire run on both comics has led to Secret Wars, probably since he took both books over, but I really miss when it was so much simpler, even though it was just as high-concept as ever.

On that note, I'm really going to miss the Ultimate Universe. Reading Ultimate Spider-Man got me into comics three years ago, and it's going to really suck not having more titles in that universe to look forward to.

orestes
05-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Picked up:
Secret Wars
New Avengers
Bob's Burgers
Teen Titans Go!
Boom Studios Ten Year Celebration
Super Mutant Magic Academy/Step Aside, Pops

neorev
05-02-2015, 07:50 PM
got my hands on the free Fight Club prologue comic for Comic Book Day...
leads into the 10 part Fight Club 2 comic series
https://instagram.com/p/2MjL6OwIZR/

Ordered issues #1 thru #3 and all of their variant covers along with the "Expedition" vinyl, a prequel to book Fight Club read by Chuck Palahniuk and the story will be a part of the short story collection "Make Something Up" from Chuck.

henryeatscereal
05-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Got:

Fight Club (yay!)
Secret Wars (gave it away, lol...)
2000 A.D. Sampler
The Thick
Wonderland
Street Fighter
2 Mexican comics you probably never heard of (i wasn't trying to sound hipster, lol...)
I couldn't find "Bob's Burgers", bummer

I've always liked Free Comic Book Day but the thing has became MASSIVE, there's 4 major comic book stores in my town and the thing still gets PACKED (let's not forget Mexico City it's the biggest city in the world...), next year i'm camping by the store (yeah right...)

hellospaceboy
05-31-2015, 02:23 AM
So, I just got my comp copies of Hoax Hunters #3.

The very last page features a 1 page long short comic written by me! My comic is finally in print!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9Td4XwsiycE/VWqnj8_oTLI/AAAAAAAAJ04/kYv2u_Skn2k/w893-h829-no/20150531_014411.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TkEs1-tbi9I/VWqnvwpAVyI/AAAAAAAAJ0o/3O8KQffF_UA/w1105-h829-no/20150531_014404.jpg

henryeatscereal
05-31-2015, 03:13 AM
congratulations man, i'll pick this one up

hellospaceboy
05-31-2015, 07:15 PM

^^^
Since The Fly is my all time favorite movie I decided to stick with this mini-series, thank god only 5 issues. It's getting worse!!!

On other notes, first issue of Fight Club 2 was promising, and Sandman Overture 5 is out, and it's still a gorgeous book in every way. What else...
Warren Ellis' Injection #1 came out from Image, and it was really good!

orestes
06-30-2015, 07:17 AM
On that note, I'm really going to miss the Ultimate Universe. Reading Ultimate Spider-Man got me into comics three years ago, and it's going to really suck not having more titles in that universe to look forward to.

Not so fast. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/29/the-ultimates-is-back-with-al-ewing-and-kenneth-rocafort-marveloctober/)

henryeatscereal
06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
I knew they wouldn't kill the "Ultimate" universe, they have "killed it" more times than Jean Grey

I also heard that Miles Morales is staying as the main Spiderman (from the universe 616), ugh...

gorast
06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Not so fast. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/29/the-ultimates-is-back-with-al-ewing-and-kenneth-rocafort-marveloctober/)

I guess when the universe is dead, you don't need to saddle pseudo-Avengers teams with pseudo-Avengers names. Definitely not the same. But I'll read it anyway.

I'm liking what the universe is going to look like post-Secret Wars, so far.

orestes
06-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Can we talk about the cover for Spider-Woman #1? WTF?!?!

henryeatscereal
06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
What a desperate idea, i don't get it, but i guess i'm not the "target audience".

And to think people got angry because the Milo Manara covers, i guess this one will be praised to death....

http://www.abc.es/Media/201408/22/spiderwoman--644x662.jpg

gorast
06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Oh my fucking god, I didn't see the cover for the new relaunch when it was announced. Holy shit.

What could possibly lead to pregnant Jess?

orestes
06-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, with this cover, Marvel has been able to reach the one target demographic that has alluded them: pregnant women.

gorast
06-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Here's a list of 45 All-New, All-Different titles launching after Secret Wars:

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/29/marvel-announces-45-all-new-all-different-series/

Lots of Spider books, including books for Peter and Miles separately (I thought Miles was THE Spider-Man, Marvel...?), Silk is apparently evil for some reason, New Avengers is a real Avengers book and not the Illuminati bullshit, Marguerite Bennett now has full control over Angela, X-Titles all have separate writers, and CM PUNK is writing a Drax solo book. Definitely picking that one up.

Still optimistic. We'll see how it goes.

orestes
06-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Final Destiny you should see my recent con commissions: https://instagram.com/p/3nC9ciICy0/

henryeatscereal
06-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Most titles look "meh", i'm happy that Slott is still on Spiderman, but the new costume looks terrible...
I'll avoid any title with Bendis involved, good thing he's writing his own spiderman, i could care less for this one.
"All new-all different Avengers" sounds interesting because of Mark Waid, but i had enough of the Avengers, and i'll be picking up "Drax" because of Punk.

gorast
07-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Polygon has preview covers for each title here. http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/1/8877113/marvel-comics-officially-reveals-45-titles-that-will-start-after

As a side-note, I'm so god damn tired of Deadpool. If he shows up in any of the titles I'm reading I swear I'll drop them. Fuck Deadpool.

henryeatscereal
07-01-2015, 02:46 PM
I got no problem with Deadpool, but i agree he needs to stay in his own title, i don't want him as an X-Men, X-Force, Avenger or whatever, still with the movie very near, i bet they'll end up throwing him in a crossover or two...

orestes
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Polygon has preview covers for each title here. http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/1/8877113/marvel-comics-officially-reveals-45-titles-that-will-start-after

As a side-note, I'm so god damn tired of Deadpool. If he shows up in any of the titles I'm reading I swear I'll drop them. Fuck Deadpool.

That Angela cover! Pretty interesting angle considering how Asgard's Assassin ended.

Also, here's hoping Hawkeye #22 comes out before they reboot Lemire's Hawkeye. :p

gorast
07-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Here's hoping Hawkeye 22 comes out literally ever, tbh. I have, like, negative hype for this fucking comic.

october_midnight
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Batman: The Killing Joke to become animated feature next year; Mark Hamill says he'll return for The Joker if asked. (http://batman-news.com/2015/07/11/warner-bros-is-turning-batman-the-killing-joke-into-an-animated-movie/)

orestes
07-15-2015, 07:38 AM
At long last, Hawkeye #22 comes out today!

https://33.media.tumblr.com/b5359e4d71bb49fdd3869ebc9c075daa/tumblr_inline_nqijxbAdNe1qzyt1a_500.gif

telee.kom
07-15-2015, 07:45 AM
So I've read 1st issue of Outcast by Robert Kirkman and it's pretty great so far. Love the art design, the atmosphere is very gloomy and uneasy. I'm hooked and really interested on how will the story unfold. So far it seems a little bit like a lot more grounded version of Constantine I guess. Really looking forward to the TV show now.

sentient02970
07-23-2015, 02:10 PM
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/935/935322.png

orestes
08-06-2015, 02:34 PM
This week's Wicked + Divine was a little too real.

Jinsai
08-08-2015, 03:36 PM
lately I've been collecting the Dark Horse reprints of the EC Archives collection. I now have all of the volumes from Tales from the Crypt, and 3 of the Vault of Horrors. They're about to start repressing the Haunt of Fear as well, which is awesome. It's been forever since these comics have been easy to get.

orestes
08-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Unexpectedly crying over the last issue of Loki: Agent of Asgard.

cicada
09-23-2015, 04:10 AM
Anyone reading Saga?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/prv14203_cov.jpg

I think its pretty epic, any fans.

orestes
09-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Yep, it's amazing.

cicada
09-23-2015, 07:34 PM
Hangin out for Vol 6.

henryeatscereal
09-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Saga is awesome, best comic i've read in a while along with "Locke & Key"

cicada
09-24-2015, 03:38 AM
Yeah its great, funny too.

Haven't read Locke and Key, whats it like?

henryeatscereal
09-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Haven't read Locke and Key, whats it like?
Well, basically it's a horror comic but it's so much more than that, the comic deals with personal relationships, family, the supernatural and the human nature all in a plot about a house (called "keyhouse) filled with magical keys with different powers.
I guess you have to read it, the story is really good and Gabriel Rodríguez's art is top of the line, it's truly one of the best comics in the last 10 years

cicada
09-24-2015, 08:16 PM
I guess you have to read it,

Cool, thx, will def check it out.

orestes
11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Would anyone be interested in having an online garage sale for back issues? I've amassed quite the number of single issues and I'd rather pass them off here first.

henryeatscereal
11-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Would anyone be interested in having an online garage sale for back issues? I've amassed quite the number of single issues and I'd rather pass them off here first.
I been selling some of my collection lately because i'm moving and my space is getting more limited but i didn't think to offer it here because the shipping costs and the fact that i got some comics in spanish that i assumed you guys wouldn't be interested, but i like the idea, as i said i'm more interested on selling, but i'm also buying some select stuff that i consider interesting.

gorast
11-09-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm genuinely surprised that Secret Wars 7 is coming out tomorrow. 6 didn't come out too long ago.

We're still so far away from the end of it, though. And where the hell is Ultimate End 5? Does it tie into the end of Secret Wars? Man.

henryeatscereal
11-10-2015, 09:43 AM
I'm genuinely surprised that Secret Wars 7 is coming out tomorrow. 6 didn't come out too long ago.

We're still so far away from the end of it, though. And where the hell is Ultimate End 5? Does it tie into the end of Secret Wars? Man.
Since they expanded to 9 issues i guess they rushed the release; it's ridiculous: the crossover is still going with many tie ins without conclusion, yet they are already launching some "All new, all different" titles, i hate when they do that.
I know i sound so cliche but it's a sure thing i'm dropping Marvel when SW is done, i'm not even buying Amazing Spider Man (that is a title i've always followed in my lifetime...)

gorast
11-10-2015, 06:34 PM
They need to lay off these universe-wide crossovers. They're ridiculous and they almost always get delayed on some level. I've never seen a scheduling disaster as bad as Secret Wars, though. Silver Surfer isn't even over, presumably because of some sort of tie-in to the end of Secret Wars, and it's been like three months since the last issue.

henryeatscereal
11-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Funny that i actually been enjoying "Secret Wars" (the main series), not much happens but at least is well written and the idea is better executed than turds like "Secret Invasion", "Fear Itself" or "AvsX".
Still i got the feeling the ending is going to be mediocre and then it's for another 6 months of filling till the newest "life-changing-super controversial-status-quo altering-filed with tie ins-crossover", getting real tired of this format of selling comics...

cicada
11-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Funny that i actually been enjoying "Secret Wars" (the main series)

I was reading this too, then I decided to backtrack and read the whole lot of Hickman's Avengers run. It's pretty sprawling and, um, expansive I guess. But I'm enjoying it OK. Will go back to Secret Wars after that I think.

henryeatscereal
11-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I was reading this too, then I decided to backtrack and read the whole lot of Hickman's Avengers run. It's pretty sprawling and, um, expansive I guess. But I'm enjoying it OK. Will go back to Secret Wars after that I think.
In my opinion Hickman has great ideas but he can get confusing at times, the "Infinity" crossover is an example: too much happens at the same time and at moments there's too many characters to keep track of everything, he reminds me of Grant Morrison (talented guy but can get confusing at moments).
The "Incursion" storyline he started in his New Avengers run was neat, but it gets too loaded to keep track of it.
Secret Wars feels more focused, almost all the main story focuses on Doom and he even shows a human side of him, i thought the story was going to be a complete disaster but i gotta admit i'm enjoying more than hating the story, the only thing i dislike is the insane amount of crossovers but i guess no one is forcing me to read them all...

cicada
11-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Yeah agree, that is what I meant by sprawling and expansive. I still find them enjoyable if I just accept that I'm gonna miss a few details as I go through.

aggroculture
12-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Question: which Deadpool comic should I start with?
I am curious about this character...after having taught Watchmen recently I want to get into the weirder side of superhero comics. Other recommendations in this field are welcome!

henryeatscereal
12-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Question: which Deadpool comic should I start with?
I am curious about this character...after having taught Watchmen recently I want to get into the weirder side of superhero comics. Other recommendations in this field are welcome!
With Deadpool, i would start with the Joe Kelly run, i think there's an Omnibus that compiles most of his work and it's very recommendable: http://www.amazon.com/Deadpool-Joe-Kelly-Omnibus/dp/0785185593

Also check "Deadpool MAX" and Deadpool Marvel Now! (with Brian Posehn), they are shorter and have great moments they are also friendly for new readers.

If you are looking for a cool weird comic check out "The Maxx" by Sam Kieth.

Al_Hunter
12-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Currently reading...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/995e276ce0b2897cf484e8f5a7a4c831/tumblr_nz8wgkJ8aN1s9iyy7o1_500h.jpg

thelastdisciple
12-19-2015, 11:51 PM
sad that the Star Wars Kanan series of comics is coming to an end with issue 12. :(

cicada
01-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Currently reading... FROM HELL

I have that too, it's awesome hey.

cicada
01-10-2016, 10:09 PM
On a sort of side note, I have been watching Johnathan Glapion's YouTube channel quite a bit (he was the inker for the current series of Batman with Greg Capullo if you don't know who he is)

He has a bunch of timelapse videos of him inking various batman pages penciled by Capullo. They are so amazing, I could watch them all day. (https://www.youtube.com/user/jonathanglapion/videos)

Al_Hunter
01-11-2016, 01:40 AM
I'm about a third of the way through. Its pretty heavy going but I'm enjoying it. I've actually taken a break from it to read The Dark Knight Returns, which I finished last night and I would highly recommend. Back to From Hell now!

cicada
01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Its pretty heavy going

Yeah definitely, I took a break as well. Dense black and white, morbid subject matter, kind of depressing context.... It took some getting through. Loved it though.

hellospaceboy
02-11-2016, 10:58 AM
So, I've been writing a webcomic series for about a year and a half now, all stories are 1 page long "flash fiction" comics.

We finally have a facebook page, so if you want to hit a like I'd apprecite it! http://www.facebook.com/observatorycomics I promise not to spam you...

Here's the cover art for our upcoming print collection:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56a5a8b01c1210464e2517b0/t/56b2318022482e272e259b7f/1454518787639/?format=750w

And here's the latest page:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56a5a8b01c1210464e2517b0/t/56bb6a4b3c44d8e7c3bb8d8a/1455123050212/?format=750w

orestes
04-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Holy shit, what a return for Wicked and Divine!

Also, Black Panther #1 came out today. Get on it!

henryeatscereal
04-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Also, Black Panther #1 came out today. Get on it!
I don't care much for the character, but i'll admit the comic looks interesting, i dropped almost all of my Marvel titles after SW ended and i'm just buying "Old Man Logan" and "Amazing Spiderman".

theburningreptile
04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Anyone read The Shadow pulp or comics? Where should I start out?

aggroculture
05-08-2016, 10:19 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YL2Op0dhL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
woah Megahex kicks ass...I think I am in love with Simon Hanselmann

hellospaceboy
05-10-2016, 12:10 AM
There's a great documentary on Netflix called Sex in Comics

october_midnight
05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
DC updated their official logo today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ciq5ychXIAAJmjW.jpg

henryeatscereal
05-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Keps getting uglier

Still a bit curious for "Rebirth", i guess i'll pick the preview and go from there...

aggroculture
05-17-2016, 02:53 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5124XMcKwdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This is awesome: creepy, eerie and close to home

bgalbraith
05-24-2016, 10:32 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/150/0/1/Archangel-01-cvr-60ddd.jpg

William Gibson does an alt-reality WW2 thing. First time I bought a comic book, let alone a new release, in.. a long long time.

[parasite]
05-10-2017, 06:43 AM
reading Battle Chasers (comic, again)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170510/f6db528980f12213725fc5ff443e6275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theburningreptile
06-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Solomon Kane, Super Patriot and Time Hunters.

Conan The Barbarian
02-04-2018, 08:48 AM
If anyone hasnt checked out the current Aquaman series, please do. This book has hit my top spot in dc books. The consistency of story issue to issue and the upgrade to the art these past few issues have been excellent.

october_midnight
03-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Color me excited.

DC announces new Black Label line for edgier, darker stories... (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-black-label-imprint-unveiled-1092933)

And some of the first announced titles are new Batman stories from Snyder/Capullo and my all time favorite Batman artist Lee Bermejo. (https://batman-news.com/2018/03/08/scott-snyder-and-greg-capullo-re-team-for-batman-last-knight-on-earth-under-dcs-new-black-label-imprint/)

DO WANT.

Conan The Barbarian
03-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Color me excited.

DC announces new Black Label line for edgier, darker stories... (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-black-label-imprint-unveiled-1092933)

And some of the first announced titles are new Batman stories from Snyder/Capullo and my all time favorite Batman artist Lee Bermejo. (https://batman-news.com/2018/03/08/scott-snyder-and-greg-capullo-re-team-for-batman-last-knight-on-earth-under-dcs-new-black-label-imprint/)

DO WANT. Cant wait for these!

Conan The Barbarian
04-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Did anyone here pick up action comics 1000? I got the 1930's variant along with the standard Jim Lee cover. Also got a Batman 45 with Superman variant. And picked up the last issue of the Tomasi run.

otnavuskire
06-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Rob Sheridan's debut comic will be published by Vertigo in 2019!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/vertigo-comics-dc-relaunching-imprint-7-titles-1117894

dvdglss
06-07-2018, 03:21 PM
That was a crazy announcement. also, looking forward to the Vertigo refresh. feels very nex gen....

october_midnight
06-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Some more info/dates trickling out for DC's Black Label. (https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/06/15/shedding-new-light-on-dc-black-label)

Already have all 8 issues of Batman: White Knight but will still get the collected version...and fuck yes Batman: Damned has a date...Bermejo is one of my top 3 Batman artists of all time.

october_midnight
06-25-2018, 12:11 PM
GIVE THIS TO ME NOW.

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/36002907_10160454128110468_1527725828601806848_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEmTFCR4g5RblJltzdTlIfjeIikwCVpfhJreHLf9 aKvlKfe8dRjN9h4yyZ8M-FCgGhNFofv_2_XyoyygfTcrZMgW9KQLDV5437XJn0bEc40RQ&oh=1188ffdc299ac4d3f33b065a5e6b933c&oe=5BA64863

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/36228283_10160454128115468_8750397988972527616_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGdqYQf-I3oNHAFxpTnwBrQuekRtZ2Z2GzSPQqSlSESp2GTphHvjyOLM1w sGq6tFIyVsmj3BVQ8Y44pTTt6yyPVsdskilEJk7bwpQr9vkXIz Q&oh=454548e54fa7da5b7ce353f3c4af6a58&oe=5B9E3081

allegate
07-12-2018, 03:23 PM
https://twitter.com/MaxScoville/status/1017484523544514560

october_midnight
07-12-2018, 05:29 PM
The Blade Runner universe will continue on in comic/graphic novel form. (https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-world-of-blade-runner-is-coming-to-comics-1827550942?utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter)

I'm fuckin' pumped!

hellospaceboy
08-27-2018, 03:04 PM
So, I wrote a horror anthology comic that is being solicited in Diamond Previews this month, and will be in book stores this November.

Link: https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP181679

Think of it as a really bizarre version of The Twilight Zone ;) I wouldn't be offended if you guys checked it out!

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53e28ad0e4b00800bf78cee4/t/5b6c49e3562fa7f61535083b/1533823515092/Caliber+Presents+web.jpg?format=500w

october_midnight
09-19-2018, 05:27 PM
GIVE THIS TO ME NOW.

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/36002907_10160454128110468_1527725828601806848_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEmTFCR4g5RblJltzdTlIfjeIikwCVpfhJreHLf9 aKvlKfe8dRjN9h4yyZ8M-FCgGhNFofv_2_XyoyygfTcrZMgW9KQLDV5437XJn0bEc40RQ&oh=1188ffdc299ac4d3f33b065a5e6b933c&oe=5BA64863

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/36228283_10160454128115468_8750397988972527616_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGdqYQf-I3oNHAFxpTnwBrQuekRtZ2Z2GzSPQqSlSESp2GTphHvjyOLM1w sGq6tFIyVsmj3BVQ8Y44pTTt6yyPVsdskilEJk7bwpQr9vkXIz Q&oh=454548e54fa7da5b7ce353f3c4af6a58&oe=5B9E3081

Picked up both variant covers...fuck me this is so good.

october_midnight
10-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Chuck Palahniuk announces Fight Club 3. (https://comicbook.com/comics/2018/10/02/fight-club-3-chuck-palahniuk-comic-series/)

kaydraven
10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Chuck Palahniuk announces Fight Club 3. (https://comicbook.com/comics/2018/10/02/fight-club-3-chuck-palahniuk-comic-series/)

Oh shit! I didn't even hear about this! I still haven't read Fight Club 2. I honestly wasn't too excited for the series since it's not my favorite book of his. I still plan to check it out though.

allegate
10-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Meant to post this the other day but since I can't access from work I forgot about it.

There is a zero-percent chance this is even 50% faithful to the comics.

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1045056004281356288

Karl Urban as Billy Butcher
Elisabeth Shue as Madelyn Stillwell
Erin Moriarty as Annie January / Starlight
Antony Starr as The Homelander
Dominique McElligott as Queen Maeve
Jessie T. Usher as A-Train
Chace Crawford as The Deep
Nathan Mitchell as Black Noir
Laz Alonso as Mother's Milk
Jack Quaid as "Wee" Hughie Campbell
Karen Fukuhara as Female
Tomer Kapon as Frenchie

It's too bad it's being made when Simon Pegg is too old to be Hughie.

loopcloses
02-23-2019, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of surprised to not see this mentioned at all here (I might have just missed it), but Rob Sheridan's High Level comic is out and seems to be getting good reviews. I went to Comics Dungeon in Seattle today where he was doing a signing and picked up a copy, it was your usual awkward meet and greet bullshit, but he seemed like a pleasant fellow and the artwork looks great.

Tom
03-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Just got around to reading High Level last night. I enjoyed it on the whole, though a couple of things didn't quite work for me. But it's certainly got potential and has me intrigued, so I'll definitely pick up #2.

MrLobster
03-19-2019, 07:05 PM
*looks around*

So... I've started to collect MacFarlane single issues again (Daredevil, Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spawn [1-25]). If any of you fine folk are interested in selling some, lemme know. My collection is small, and you would need to ship to Canada but I'm willing to pay fairly for good/very good condition books (I don't need mint, just not stained/sticky/torn/sun washed).

This is what I have now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2DoLgfVYAAoI5p.jpg

henryeatscereal
03-20-2019, 03:01 AM
*looks around*

So... I've started to collect MacFarlane single issues again (Daredevil, Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Spawn [1-25]). If any of you fine folk are interested in selling some, lemme know. My collection is small, and you would need to ship to Canada but I'm willing to pay fairly for good/very good condition books (I don't need mint, just not stained/sticky/torn/sun washed).

I do have a McFarlane signed SPAWN #1, i guess i could get rid of it, but take in account where i live, if you're interested PM me

MrLobster
03-20-2019, 03:42 AM
I do have a McFarlane signed SPAWN #1, i guess i could get rid of it, but take in account where i live, if you're interested PM me

Thank you! Normally I'd try for it, but I don't really want to view this as an "investment" collection (it will be, by default... I mean, a first appearance of Venom can be pretty pricey), so I don't want to pick up signed or special variants... but if for some reason I can't find one that appeals to me, I'll keep you in mind (and as long as you think you can ship it safely 4500km north, I'd be happy to pay).

henryeatscereal
03-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Thank you! Normally I'd try for it, but I don't really want to view this as an "investment" collection (it will be, by default... I mean, a first appearance of Venom can be pretty pricey), so I don't want to pick up signed or special variants... but if for some reason I can't find one that appeals to me, I'll keep you in mind (and as long as you think you can ship it safely 4500km north, I'd be happy to pay).
Fair enough, i have shipped to USA before via FedEx, but never to Canada (closest i done it's Seattle).
You decide what you want in it, i'm no longer into Spawn anymore that's why i can live without it, if you change your mind let me know...

Haysey_Draws
03-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Not having many real comic shops when i grow up the only comic i really got into as a kid was the Sonic Comic...no not the archie ones, the UK ones. They were pretty great, i had over 100 issues, and the story got a bit dark towards the end of it's run (it ended in the early 2000's as UK comics just didn't sell well) they followed the games as they came out and followed the original origin story (Sonic was a regular brown hedgehog that, during an experiment with Dr Ivon Kintobor and the chaos emeralds was transformed into the blue Speedster, and the Dr was fused with a rotten egg to become Dr Robotnik. Sonic was still a freedom fighter but some differences were there, like Super Sonic wasn't a power up for Sonic from the emeralds but an alternative personally that awakened in extreme stress and was pretty fucking insane. In his first appearance he nearly killed tails! He eventually got separated from Sonic in a storyline that trapped Sonic in the world from the cancelled Knuckle Chaotix game.

Obviously this all changed when i got a job in London when i was 17 and found actual comic shops...i had some catching up to do!

bRoot
03-24-2019, 03:28 AM
I'm just waiting on a "Heavy Metal 'Mag' " reboot.

I'm still missing my Seductress Halloween Horror issue featuring the likeness of one "Aria Giovanni".

At the moment I only have a special edition of Deadpool, an issue of Dead Presidents. Also an issue of 100 bullets.

And I am "In the process" of making two of my own projects, one a comic, another a graphic novel.

I am also considering something new,

but a tried and tested method I read via a semi-biographical "The Long hard road out of hell"

(I guess that also pays some inherent note/tribute to Hunter S. Thompson)

But alas, maybe I should get really loaded to watch "The Life of Brian" if I'm into the whole, correlation thing. Fucc, TPOTC could be a laugh.

MrLobster
03-25-2019, 10:03 PM
So... didj'all see this?

The War of the Worlds Illustrated (https://bitmapbooks.com/products/the-war-of-the-worlds-illustrated)?

Gonna pick up a copy for my beloved, her favourite H.G. Wells story.

MrLobster
03-29-2019, 09:41 PM
25 years today...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D23pjkbU4AErRB2.jpg:large

henryeatscereal
03-30-2019, 03:00 AM
25 years today...

I can proudly say i own a signed copy of that masterpiece!

october_midnight
03-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Me too! I've been a Crow fanatic to the point of multiple copies...shit I've even got the Caliber Christmas and first appearance, both signed and unsigned lol.

Oh, and also this...

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/55711645_571177013373890_703528283173552128_n.jpg? _nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=7bebb41fd6b68e5bcfad1f97bcf6b393&oe=5D4BD085

october_midnight
03-30-2019, 09:49 AM
Oh, and double post for anyone interested...not sure if anyone buys Rucking Fotten shirts (you should, I just got his Kill Bill set and it's nuts) but on May 11 he's putting up preorders for this bad boy:

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/55769884_2403460413038429_3440672707115483136_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=83e381ba9f98dbb552c0427516499829&oe=5D06E5DC

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/56247988_1068690203337381_6698751051509530624_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=e643304227f3c72b5e978a464bbde46d&oe=5D3EC2D6

henryeatscereal
03-31-2019, 01:28 AM
Holy shit, that t Shirt is sick! october_midnight !

J.O'Barr had to be one of the coolest nicest guys i've ever met at a convention, we talked about Joy Division, NIN and the soundtrack! he even gave me some free prints! awesome guy!

october_midnight
03-31-2019, 09:45 AM
Holy shit, that t Shirt is sick! @october_midnight (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=288) !

J.O'Barr had to be one of the coolest nicest guys i've ever met at a convention, we talked about Joy Division, NIN and the soundtrack! he even gave me some free prints! awesome guy!

Oh man, I'm jealous. All of my signed stuff was either purchased online or at a con, I've ever met O'Barr... even worse, he had a quasi-official site back in the day at: https://jamesobarr.typepad.com/ that you can see hasn't been updated in like 7 years. His buddy ran it for him...gave updates, appearances, but also where you could request and pay for commissions and he'd do them and mail them to you. I had the coolest idea for a Crow piece, so I described it in an email but the reply I got was along the lines of 'hate to tell you, but you're officially the first to hear this...James won't be doing commissions anymore via the site, only at appearances.' Dammit!!

henryeatscereal
03-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Oh man, I'm jealous. All of my signed stuff was either purchased online or at a con, I've ever met O'Barr... even worse, he had a quasi-official site back in the day at: https://jamesobarr.typepad.com/ that you can see hasn't been updated in like 7 years. His buddy ran it for him...gave updates, appearances, but also where you could request and pay for commissions and he'd do them and mail them to you. I had the coolest idea for a Crow piece, so I described it in an email but the reply I got was along the lines of 'hate to tell you, but you're officially the first to hear this...James won't be doing commissions anymore via the site, only at appearances.' Dammit!!
Bummer, i would love a commision, but i don't believe he was making them that time...

I was nervous to meet him; i thought the guy was super "gloomy" and serious... nothing further from the truth! dude saw my "Unknown Pleasures" T-Shirt and right away said "nice shirt!", right away we broke the ice.
He was super nice with me and my GF we spoke about The Crow soundtrack and told that Peter Hook once called him to thank him for introducing Joy Division in America.
I bought a print that is the inside art from the Crow comic he signed it along with my Crow TPB and then he talked about an "upcoming" project he had called "Sundown" (to my knowledge he hasn't released it...), he showed me original art of it and some prints, he told me "you can have one of those", i was mindblown!

So cool because i got to talk to him for easily 20 minutes (i arrived very early and he had no people in his booth), it was easily one of the beast experiences of my life, my GF even had to wait for me to compose myself! Not trying to sound presumptuous, i think its worth sharing!

october_midnight
04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Wow, amazing story! Jeeeeeaaaaalous lol.

hellospaceboy
04-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Strange morning here... Someone is purging their apartment in our building (I've been fishing great CDs and books out of the trash for the last few weeks), and today I found these gems dumped in the trash room:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3EgiH6X4AEbT3w.jpg

Yes, among the other comics, it's the ENTIRE run of Transmetropolitan in the garbage. Jesus Crhist!!!

october_midnight
04-01-2019, 10:09 AM
AND​ Dig Dug? Insanity.

henryeatscereal
04-01-2019, 03:33 PM
The Transmetropolitan collection alone was worth getting your hands dirty ...maybe the guy was a terrorist? Punisher, Deadpool and some old Atari games? i can see him blowing up a building :P

hellospaceboy
04-01-2019, 03:54 PM
The Transmetropolitan collection alone was worth getting your hands dirty ...maybe the guy was a terrorist? Punisher, Deadpool and some old Atari games? i can see him blowing up a building :P

He's actually a little creepy, for the first month we lived here I though that he is deaf/mute (for real), but it turns out he's just not into saying hi back to you when you share the elevator...
He does have good taste in music/comics, I got a bunch of Tom Waits and soundtrack CDs out of the trash too.

henryeatscereal
04-01-2019, 04:19 PM
He's actually a little creepy, for the first month we lived here I though that he is deaf/mute (for real), but it turns out he's just not into saying hi back to you when you share the elevator...
He does have good taste in music/comics, I got a bunch of Tom Waits and soundtrack CDs out of the trash too.
I was only joking, but i guess anything's possible!

Of course he wouldn't say "hi" in the elevator if he's a Tom Waits fan, lol!

MrLobster
04-23-2019, 03:44 AM
Re-read the Infinity Gauntlet (trade) this evening.

I still like the story... I hadn't read it since the single issues were released. Interesting to see the differences in the MCU story and the comic, but if a couple of scenes from the book make it into the movie, that'd be alright.

MrLobster
04-23-2019, 06:20 AM
Unrelated... are any of you checking out the Dorkly series "Canon City"? (on YouTube or elsewhere... panel show discussing various comic storylines)

MrLobster
04-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Read that "X-Men: Days of Future Past (https://www.marvel.com/comics/collection/1332/x-men_days_of_future_past_trade_paperback)" trade last night... I like it as a whole but if you were just looking for, say, a tie-in to the movie, you might get a bit bored. Still, I did like as an overall book, the stories work together.

Deadpool
04-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Anyone else subscribed to DC UNIVERSE? They just added 20,000+ comics and I'm simultaneously overwhelmed and drooling.

So much here I've been putting off reading for years: DK III, Flashpoint, All-Star Batman / Superman, Snyder & Capullo's Batman, Dark Knights: Metal, Doomsday Clock – not to mention a shitload of New 52 (especially excited for Azzarello and Chiang's Wonder Woman) and Rebirth.

MrLobster
04-29-2019, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1122985891473977344

Took a decent chunk out of the Amazing Spider-Man MacFarlane titles today at a local shop.

MrLobster
05-09-2019, 09:09 PM
On Comic Book day last weekend, I took my beloved out shopping and we grabbed the first two American Gods graphic novels and a couple of the Gambit trades as well. Now we just need to wait for part three of American Gods to come out, probably next year if the pattern holds up.

MrLobster
05-28-2019, 05:01 AM
Re-read Wolverine #50 (from 1991) tonight... I think maybe I needed more issues surrounding it to really appreciate it but it wasn't bad. Still a cool cover.

Tom
05-28-2019, 02:40 PM
It's a fun romp, but if you haven't already you should check out Barry Windsor-Smith's 'Weapon X' - as a continuation of that story I always felt that #50 came up a little short.

october_midnight
05-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Book One was pretty solid!

https://www.dccomics.com/sites/default/files/styles/covers192x291/public/comic-covers/2019/05/BM_LKOE_Cv1_1500_5cdc620e979443.57980730.jpg?itok= kJBJdQ-e

october_midnight
06-11-2019, 11:04 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status/1138580431396323328?s=21

Haysey_Draws
06-12-2019, 03:09 AM
Wait...is that mask of the phantasm!?

october_midnight
06-12-2019, 08:56 AM
It is indeed.

october_midnight
06-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Whoa. DC is officially shutting down its 'Vertigo' imprint after 25 years. (https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/21/18700918/dc-comics-vertigo-shutting-down-black-label)

Titles that lean a bit on the more family-oriented side will remain in the main DC line, with the more adult-oriented titles moving to their new ongoing Black Label imprint. No big deal for you and I however, as Black Label is already cranking out amazing new titles and nothing's really going away...just pretty crazy news.

MrLobster
06-30-2019, 03:55 AM
Anyone have any experience with MyComicsShop (https://www.mycomicshop.com)? I'm thinking about using them to pick-up more of those MacFarlane comics I'm after...

versusreality
07-05-2019, 06:32 PM
so I've decided to get back into X-Men books. this idea started a couple days ago, and I've been binge watching videos on youtube the past 2 days. X-Men were always my favorite. I stopped collecting during Age of Apocalypse, so it's been a while. besides that, I had a few volumes of Essential X-Men a few years later.

everything is gone now, so I'll be starting fresh. however, with the House of X/Powers of X thing starting this month, it appears I've come back to the books at the perfect time! I'm really excited, and there's a lot of hype going into those books. I can't wait. I have a local comic store literally down the block from me, so I'll be there to pick the issues up at the end of the month. I plan to get some Omnibuses/TPB/HC stuff too, eventually, to fill in the blanks of what I missed through the years. My gf was a big fan of X-Men Evolution, I never watched it, but I'll pick up those DVDs so we can watch it together. Then, the og cartoon from the early 90's!

quietime
07-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Anyone have any experience with MyComicsShop (https://www.mycomicshop.com)?

I use them to buy back issues or anything I'm missing. I've never had a problem and they pack the comics very well. Also sign up for the newsletter to get deals and discounts.

otnavuskire
09-29-2019, 03:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lN49Khw.jpg

Fans of both comics and NIN might be interested in this kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756324374/welcome-oblivion-stories-inspired-by-nine-inch-nails) for the third volume in a series of anthologies of stories inspired by NIN. Less than 36 hours left and $200 left to go.

october_midnight
09-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Super in to Something Is Killing The Children. Great new horror title, written by James Tynion IV (the new main Batman writer).

MrLobster
04-18-2020, 03:52 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1251595370502582273

Still on my old McFarlane issues kick... should be picking up more this up-coming week as well.

MrLobster
04-19-2020, 12:55 PM
So I read issues 1-7 of Spider-Man...

That Torment story of the first 5 issues is a bit of a weird way to start a series, isn't it? The Hobgoblin+Ghost Rider arc was better but I had definitely forgotten how messed up that version of Hobgoblin was. Still love that issues 6 cover.

henryeatscereal
04-20-2020, 02:48 AM
That Torment story of the first 5 issues is a bit of a weird way to start a series, isn't it? The Hobgoblin+Ghost Rider arc was better but I had definitely forgotten how messed up that version of Hobgoblin was. Still love that issues 6 cover.
Well, the art it's off the charts, that's for sure... but i think it's safe to say Mcfarlane was not much of a writer, he got better with "SPAWN", but i think writing is not his forte.
The only stories i like from his run are "Perceptions" and the crossover with X-Force (and even those are no "Watchmen", lol)

MrLobster
04-20-2020, 04:56 AM
Well, the art it's off the charts, that's for sure...

I almost feel like he was trying to tell too much of the story through the art and not enough with the words...

henryeatscereal
04-20-2020, 11:38 AM
I almost feel like he was trying to tell too much of the story through the art and not enough with the words...
yeah, Marvel basically gave the "Spiderman" title to Todd, because he wanted to have more say in the storylines and wanted him to stay on the company bacause his increasing popularity, but i think Todd proved he is no writer, i think he is more of a plotter, he has good ideas for characters, but he is no writer.

And i'm not trying to bring him down, that era holds a special place in my heart, but i also have to see this objectively.

MrLobster
04-21-2020, 06:25 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1252724933983039489

They didn't actually have any plain white boxes...

MrLobster
05-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Just another bump... I'm still looking to pick up a bunch of older McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man/Spider-Man/Spawn issues... if anyone here is looking to sell some, DM me and we can sort it out.

MrLobster
05-06-2020, 07:52 AM
Anyone here an "Age of Apocalypse" fan with an opinion on reading order (post main series mostly but there are some outliers I'm curious about)?

henryeatscereal
05-06-2020, 03:22 PM
The most recent Omnibus (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/X-Men-Age-Apocalypse-Omnibus-Printing/dp/0785195092/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&dchild=1&keywords=age+of+apocalypse&qid=1588792699&sr=8-1) is the one that has the best reading order:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61O3db6NItL.jpg

Since it also compiles the tie ins, i think it better to read the first numbers as the series progresses .
Afterward there some crossovers called "Ages of Apocalypse", that is part of "The Twelve" saga, but i didn't care much for those...

MrLobster
05-06-2020, 07:49 PM
Since it also compiles the tie ins, i think it better to read the first numbers as the series progresses .
Afterward there some crossovers called "Ages of Apocalypse", that is part of "The Twelve" saga, but i didn't care much for those...

Checking the individual issues listed for that release (from the Amazon page), it's a pretty good list... but missing some issues that I'd consider part of the list (like, Blink 1-4)

I compiled it using this (https://www.marvel.com/comics/discover/84/age-of-apocalypse-the-complete-event) and this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Apocalypse#Collected_editions) (getting me up to 121 issues and I've collected about 100 of them so far).

Wretchedest
05-07-2020, 01:01 AM
I don't know if I've posted in this thread, but two years ago there was a significant kindle sale on marvel collections (like literally 90-95% off) that allowed me to overcome the "diving in the deep end" feeling of trying to get into comics. Also being digital helped overcome significant organizational anxieties. You don't have to worry about the condition of the issue, keeping track of your place and finding a way to store it. Since then I've read a lot of comics. That sale let me get my feet wet on X-Men, Thor, Black Panther, Deadpool, and others. I branched out later and dug deeper than I had on Batman and also read a bunch of Power Rangers comics which are weirdly, very good.

But ultimately I haven't been as satisfied with anything as I have with X-Men. Jumping around that timeline, hugely out of order, across decades, filling in the blanks, discovering new characters.

Last year I chose to experience HoX/PoX and Dawn of X as they were being released, which was a very new experience, but ultimately found that I like reading the stories after they are complete. Reading them as they were released was hard on my reading comprehension and on my wallet... Easier on my patience, though. I like being a part of the conversation with those stories. But that while collection can be had digitally now for a third of the price, and Marvel Unlimited uploads comics 6 months after release and that's all on their as part of the subscription too. Definitely won't do that again.

Right now I'm reading the 2005 X-Factor, which is really cool, has a lot of great art featuring interesting lighting. It prompted me to reread House of M, one of the first comic books I read on that sale (maybe literally the second) and it was really awesome coming back to that story with a more rounded knowledge of all the characters and events before and after. That story is still one of the best I think, still better than HoX/PoX too.... While HoX/PoX is trippy it has maybe less to say, and in it's lack of directness, has fewer character moments and is a lot more of a guy punch.

I do love the Krakoa paradigm in X-Books right now. I love the aesthetic and the both HoxPoX stories are filled with interesting challenges and ideas, I know that comics normally back off from these sorts of radical changes but I hope this one sticks.

henryeatscereal
05-07-2020, 05:44 PM
Checking the individual issues listed for that release (from the Amazon page), it's a pretty good list... but missing some issues that I'd consider part of the list (like, Blink 1-4)

I compiled it using this (https://www.marvel.com/comics/discover/84/age-of-apocalypse-the-complete-event) and this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Apocalypse#Collected_editions) (getting me up to 121 issues and I've collected about 100 of them so far).
Holy cow, you are right about Blink, should be there, but isn't included.

Tom
05-07-2020, 06:25 PM
The Blink series is included in the 'Companion' to the AoA omnibus, along with the two issues of X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe, plus subsequent AoA oneshots and minis. Personally, I find that the Blink series doesn't gel very well with the original arc - in which she is one of standout characters - and I'd happily omit it from my AoA list. The X-Men Chronicles issues supply key parts of the original story, so no question about leaving those out. The X-Universe titles - if I remember correctly - were not handled by the X-office, and feel a bit like a vehicle for shoehorning other Marvel characters into the AoA, but the events do tie into aspects of the main arc quite nicely, so they do no harm at least. The 'Tales from the AoA' oneshots aren't bad, but personally I would not try to integrate them into the main arc - better to read them afterwards (though that's how I originally read them so of course I'd say that). The subsequent minis are probably best ignored. IMO you can't really go wrong by sticking with just the eight core series, Chronicles and Universe, Alpha and Omega. Obviously read Legionquest first.

MrLobster
05-08-2020, 12:39 AM
I should mention why I'm doing this...

Back in the day, my wife had the fancy cover TPB editions but she sold them in the early 2000s... and so I figured I'd pick up all the single issues as a present of sorts. She had no idea about any of the stuff since then and is happy and curious to see how it all unfolds. I've never read the series, I had stopped collecting a few years before Legionquest started. So I'm curious as well... I don't mind the X's. :)

Tom
05-08-2020, 02:02 AM
Sweet! It was my first big 'event', and really blew me away at the time, so my perspective on it is a bit skewed!

MrLobster
05-20-2020, 02:25 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1263172094503710721

These arrived safe and sound...

MrLobster
05-21-2020, 07:02 PM
I couldn't help myself... I ordered a bunch more.

Now I'll just be missing one issue from that massive Age of Apocalypse set... they didn't have in stock. ONE FUCKING ISSUE!

Not angry or upset, just in disbelief that it'll almost be done.

MrLobster
05-24-2020, 08:24 AM
...and I just found a "What If" issue related to the AoA story.

henryeatscereal
05-25-2020, 01:48 PM
...and I just found a "What If" issue related to the AoA story.
Oh yeah, "What if Legion killed Magneto?", i have that one

MrLobster
05-25-2020, 02:33 PM
Oh yeah, "What if Legion killed Magneto?", i have that one

No, I mean "What If... The Age Of Apocalypse Had Not Ended" ... but yeah, now I want that one as well. Even comes before the other one... (issues 77 and 81 respectively)

henryeatscereal
05-26-2020, 12:31 AM
No, I mean "What If... The Age Of Apocalypse Had Not Ended" ... but yeah, now I want that one as well. Even comes before the other one... (issues 77 and 81 respectively)
Oh yeah, i forgot about the other one, i just had the "Legion" one

MrLobster
05-26-2020, 12:36 AM
Oh yeah, i forgot about the other one, i just had the "Legion" one

Since I'm trying a for full set, may as well incorporate these as well...

Oh, if I'm really lucky, I'll be done my McFarlane hunt next month... assuming the few remaining issues don't cost too too much.

MrLobster
05-29-2020, 05:00 PM
*wakes up from a nap*
*checks email*
Oh, that last AoA issue from my wish list is available... *YOINK*

otnavuskire
06-04-2020, 06:33 PM
There's just over two days left to back the latest volume of the NIN anthology comic series on Kickstarter. I've backed all of the previous volumes and have been very happy with the final product.

https://i.imgur.com/anwrm2F.jpg
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nineinchnails4/make-this-all-go-away-stories-inspired-by-nine-inch-nails/

october_midnight
06-05-2020, 05:56 PM
WOW.

DC officially cuts ties with Diamond Distribution after 25 years. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-cuts-ties-diamond-comic-distribution-1297309?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter)

otnavuskire
06-05-2020, 08:46 PM
WOW.

DC officially cuts ties with Diamond Distribution after 25 years. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-cuts-ties-diamond-comic-distribution-1297309?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter)

Gonna be pretty interesting to see how that shakes out.

MrLobster
06-06-2020, 04:39 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1269367947077644288

*call

r_z
06-09-2020, 04:54 PM
I wonder about the reception Lobo would get, would it be released today und not in the 90s. He's Not quite the PC type. :)

I'm halfway through The Incal und it's probably the wildest thing I've ever read. So much creativity on every page!

versusreality
06-09-2020, 06:40 PM
I want to get back into comics...I don't know if I can do physical..

..I want to get into DC since I favored Marvel more growing up...

Is the DC Universe subscription worth it?

MrLobster
06-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Is the DC Universe subscription worth it?

I suppose it depends on how much of a deep dive you want to do... if you anticipate reading a whole bunch, may as well do it.

versusreality
06-09-2020, 07:14 PM
looking at it, it seems they have some exclusive shows and animation not on HBO Max..

hmm...that alone may sell me on it.

MrLobster
06-09-2020, 07:52 PM
I wonder about the reception Lobo would get, would it be released today und not in the 90s. He's Not quite the PC type. :)

About as well as Howard the Duck.

MrLobster
06-10-2020, 07:57 PM
A big shipment of comics arrived today. Now I'm at 121 of 125 of that Age of Apocalypse mega collection... and the other four are en route and should be here by the end of the month. Daaaamn. McFarlane issues also arrived today, and that completes the 1-17 of Spider-Man (and those two X-Force crossover issues) and 6 more Amazing Spider-Man to go (also all en route... I think, maybe missing one). 6 issues of Spawn to go and then I have 1-25 (maybe if I actually like the series re-reading it I may collect more). Had the pleasure of cracking open a CGC case to get at one of the Amazing Spider-Man issues as well... (9.2 grade). Heh.

versusreality
06-10-2020, 10:05 PM
That AoA collection is coming along nicely. I had a ton of them back in the 90's, I was only 10-12 years old so didn't understand the full depth of it but remember REALLY liking that storyline. did you collect the Batman Macfarlane stuff too?

MrLobster
06-10-2020, 10:22 PM
That AoA collection is coming along nicely. I had a ton of them back in the 90's, I was only 10-12 years old so didn't understand the full depth of it but remember REALLY liking that storyline.

My wife wanted to re-read the story and only had the 90s trade editions of the story, so as an anniversary present I quested to grab them... and then we found there's AoA stuff in the past 20 years as well, so... may as well go big, right? When she's done reading them all, I'll give it a go... never read it before but I'm down with the mutants. :) (another year I bought her series 1, 2 and 3 of the collectible cards)

did you collect the Batman Macfarlane stuff too?

No. The main reason I'm collecting this Marvel stuff is maybe help resolve a trauma loop (I had had a bunch of them back in the 90s and they were taken from me), but I'm aiming for all of the McFarlane Marvel stuff from the 80s and into the early-ish 90s (Daredevil, Incredible Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man) and then the first 25 of Spawn. We'll see what happens after that.

versusreality
06-10-2020, 10:45 PM
that's awesome that you and your wife share that bond!!

understanding why you're collecting- highly respected too. Spawn was a fun series! I was collecting the trades at one point...I think I read everything up to around issue 75 or so. good stuff.

versusreality
06-12-2020, 09:14 AM
I bit the bullet, ordered some books.
-The Watchmen
-Batman Killing Joke
-Batman Year One
-Batman Hush
-Batman the Dark Knight Returns

all of which I haven't read. can't wait for them to come.

october_midnight
06-12-2020, 09:37 AM
Finally picked up some new comics yesterday, including a few variant covers of the Joker 80th anniversary 100pg issue. Was fun to read, pumped that comics are back, despite DC being shitty with the whole Diamond situation.

versusreality
06-17-2020, 07:59 AM
My next orders:
Harleen- DC black label hardcover
Joker- DC black label
Batman- The Long Halloween
Batman- Arkham Asylum (being released on June 30th )
V for Vendetta
Saga of the Swamp Thing Book 1
Preacher book 1
Batman: The Complete Animated Series blu ray
Batman Beyond complete series blu ray

all set for summer!

october_midnight
06-17-2020, 10:08 AM
The Batman DC Rebirth hardcover deluxe editions are on sale through Amazon so just starting into Book 2. Admittedly through the insane amount of Bat-comics I buy on a monthly basis...before this I haven't begun the actual main Batman storyline! It's up to something like issue 95 now so I've got a ton of catching up to do.

Oh and next week, the one-shot from Lemire and Sorrentino (of Gideon Falls fame) have their one-shot Batman: Smile Killer dropping, and I can't wait.

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1170xauto/public/batman-smile-killer-cover-art.jpg

MrLobster
06-17-2020, 10:23 AM
...and a friendly reminder that American Gods Volume 3: The Moment of the Storm (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/622121/american-gods-volume-3-the-moment-of-the-storm-by-gaiman-neil/) is now available. Gorgeous art.

r_z
06-17-2020, 10:49 AM
Boght the Paper Girls series and can't wait to get into that. First I've got to finish The Incal, though. AND I've also got a Mister X compendium waiting for me. Plus eying those Hellboy compendiums.

Oh well...

allegate
06-17-2020, 11:44 AM
...and a friendly reminder that American Gods Volume 3: The Moment of the Storm (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/622121/american-gods-volume-3-the-moment-of-the-storm-by-gaiman-neil/) is now available. Gorgeous art.
With no access to the library and the actual books I keep forgetting about this! I should just go ahead and order the damn things.

comics thought I read today:
I also have this theory that Popeye didn’t like spinach. I believe that he was a Hulk, and that eating canned spinach was the fastest way to make himself angry.

versusreality
06-18-2020, 06:30 AM
The Batman DC Rebirth hardcover deluxe editions are on sale through Amazon so just starting into Book 2. Admittedly through the insane amount of Bat-comics I buy on a monthly basis...before this I haven't begun the actual main Batman storyline! It's up to something like issue 95 now so I've got a ton of catching up to do.

Oh and next week, the one-shot from Lemire and Sorrentino (of Gideon Falls fame) have their one-shot Batman: Smile Killer dropping, and I can't wait.

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1170xauto/public/batman-smile-killer-cover-art.jpg
thanks for the tip, apparently there's a buy 3 for the price of 2 promotion on Amazon so I'm scoring a killer deal! making a final decision....

allegate
06-18-2020, 11:43 AM
There was a Lemire Humble Bundle a few months ago that I grabbed, I really should dig into that with all of this free time *coughcough* that we have.

october_midnight
06-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Speaking of Lemire...

https://twitter.com/HeroCollector_/status/1273571294731292672

versusreality
06-21-2020, 10:34 PM
did one last order for the month since it's 3 for the price of 2:
Batman: Damned
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Ultimate Collection
Batman Beyond Rebirth volume 1

also, comic shops have recently opened up around me after being closed for a few months. my gf and I wanted to support our local one, and we also had a nice day trip to Kevin Smith's comic shop.
I picked up:
Nightwing vol 1
Batman & Harley Quinn
Batman Adventures Mad Love

my gf picked up Saga vol 1. She said it's great so far, and the owner of the shop was raving about the series. It was a blind buy on her behalf. She also picked up a Batman Beyond single issue and trade. She was a huge Batman Beyond fan growing up and has now gotten me into it as well.

MrLobster
06-21-2020, 10:48 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Ultimate Collection

The initial TMNT stuff just has a great look to it. You know the story behind their creation? (if not, the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us" S3 E1 covers it well)

my gf picked up Saga vol 1. She said it's great so far, and the owner of the shop was raving about the series. It was a blind buy on her behalf.

The creator of Saga lives like, 3 blocks away from me. Her partner also put out a neat comic inspired by some regional history (Frank (http://benrankel.com/#/frank/)).

versusreality
06-22-2020, 08:40 AM
cool!
I'll have to watch that episode on Netflix, thanks!

allegate
06-23-2020, 11:50 AM
https://twitter.com/MidtownComics/status/1196095888457977858

This looks like it could be pretty good. Plus the whole 6-issue run is out so I don't have to wait for anything.

versusreality
07-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Ronin came today, super excited for this one!

I want to get into Sin City..but the books seem hard to find and expensive.

MrLobster
07-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Last of the initial Spawn I want arrived today... 1 - 25. More more Amazing Spider-Man (although, technically two, but one isn't a McFarlane... but I want a complete storyline, soooo....) and then I just have those Incredible Hulks to pick-up and I can consider this quest done.

And then I can read them.

And then I can sleep.

Or have a sandwich.

allegate
07-08-2020, 06:39 PM
https://twitter.com/curtofranklin/status/1280985275532038144

In unrelated news I was looking at the Bruce Wayne Agent of SHIELD book on Goodreads the other day and my wife was very confused. So I explained a bit about that story and showed her some cover art for the other books. Will be reading all of those plus the DC vs. Marvel four-parter this week.

versusreality
07-09-2020, 06:44 AM
really getting into Frank Miller lately.
ordered yesterday:
Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson vol 1
The Life & Times of Martha Washington in the 21st Century

hellospaceboy
07-09-2020, 08:58 AM
I know it concluded a couple of months ago, but I finally had a chance to finish Paper Girls, and it was blast! Highly recommended!

versusreality
07-10-2020, 09:07 PM
finished Ronin today...absolutely loved it. I certainly felt Michonne was inspired by this book. Also, Stranger Things to a small degree (when psychic powers are used, a nose bleed follows, like El )

Started reading Batman Hush and I can't put it down! Seriously, I've been binge reading like people binge shows. I only have a few issues left and I'll finish it tomorrow. I forgot how much I love Jim Lee's art- in the early 90's as a kid his was some of the first artwork I had seen and it had such a lasting impact on me apparently.

MrLobster
07-14-2020, 08:13 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1283192352908034048/photo/1

Finally get dig into these...

versusreality
07-14-2020, 09:20 PM
enjoy....I remember collecting those as a kid as they were coming out. I was too young to fully understand it, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters. The art, of course, hooked me in. Love it. I think I'll be making my way back to Spawn not too far down the line. Getting into Batman now though first. Speaking of...I remember my grandparents buying me two comic books randomly one day as a surprise...Batman: Gotham By Gaslight and Spawn/Batman. Totally too dark for a 7 year old at the time hah! They didn't look, just saw Batman and figured it was like the 60's TV show. Wish I still had those comics.

Just discovered the site In Stock Trades...geez their prices are better than Amazon! I'm putting together my next haul on there. Think I'm going to complete the Miller Daredevil stuff and pick up a few more Batman books.

I also started reading Preacher...I'm halfway through the first issue...is the series good? Worth reading?

MrLobster
07-15-2020, 12:29 AM
Just discovered the site In Stock Trades...geez their prices are better than Amazon! I'm putting together my next haul on there. Think I'm going to complete the Miller Daredevil stuff and pick up a few more Batman books.

I also started reading Preacher...I'm halfway through the first issue...is the series good? Worth reading?

Batman vs. Predator form the early 90s was quite engaging I remember (as a suggested title to check out) and I've heard good things about Preacher.

october_midnight
07-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Oh hell yes.

https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1283385976006553602

henryeatscereal
07-15-2020, 01:15 PM
https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1283192352908034048/photo/1

Finally get dig into these...
I recognize those!

allegate
07-15-2020, 01:23 PM
enjoy....I remember collecting those as a kid as they were coming out. I was too young to fully understand it, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters. The art, of course, hooked me in. Love it. I think I'll be making my way back to Spawn not too far down the line. Getting into Batman now though first. Speaking of...I remember my grandparents buying me two comic books randomly one day as a surprise...Batman: Gotham By Gaslight and Spawn/Batman. Totally too dark for a 7 year old at the time hah! They didn't look, just saw Batman and figured it was like the 60's TV show. Wish I still had those comics.

I got the first collection through Google because of one of those dumb coupons they give you randomly. I liked it, though it's also squeam-inducing in bits.

side note: watched the comic-con trailer for the first season of the show last night with my son to see if he would be interested in the show and he didn't really get it, and I could totally see why: things are set up in-scene in a way that would only make sense if you'd already read the book. I don't know why they cut that together that way. Maybe because it was for comic-con? still.

MrLobster
07-15-2020, 01:31 PM
I recognize those!

I'll be posting pics of all 25, in groups of 5, as I go through them... that tweet will have a thread with it. Because... reasons. :) :)

r_z
07-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Just read through the first few Spawn issues. I love the mythology of it, but I think the writing is a bit silly at times. I remember watching the animated version and really liking it.

Also started Paper Girls and the first issue of Transmetropolitan!

MrLobster
07-15-2020, 05:09 PM
Just read through the first few Spawn issues. I love the mythology of it, but I think the writing is a bit silly at times. I remember watching the animated version and really liking it.

Also started Paper Girls and the first issue of Transmetropolitan!

I've found Spawn, thus far, to be... silly. In a very good way, but still silly. I blame Violator. But of course that can change in the next 20 issues I want to read.

I really enjoyed Transmet.

versusreality
07-15-2020, 08:51 PM
I just finished the Batman: Long Halloween graphic novel....excellent...had me guessing every time I turned the page. then when you think you have it figured it out...the ending totally proved any guesses I had wrong..awesome

MrLobster
07-16-2020, 02:36 AM
Issue 10 of Spawn is just great (the Cerebus/Dave Sims one).

october_midnight
07-16-2020, 02:38 PM
So yeah, this is a mindfuck. I was a big fan of his writing, but mannn...fuck this dude.

Warren Ellis has been grooming, targeting, and manipulating women for years. (https://www.somanyofus.com)

Jon
07-16-2020, 02:51 PM
So yeah, this is a mindfuck. I was a big fan of his writing, but mannn...fuck this dude.

Warren Ellis has been grooming, targeting, and manipulating women for years. (https://www.somanyofus.com)

That is a great response. He came out almost a month ago and denied the allegations, so they spent the next month compiling everything before coming back full-force... and it's not a Google document.

--------------------

I guess I missed The Rise of Ultraman preorder packs for #1. I haven't bought a comic in years.

versusreality
07-16-2020, 03:02 PM
any recommendations on 100 Bullets?

allegate
07-16-2020, 04:02 PM
https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1283843411544379392

that's just insane, three cards?

versusreality
07-16-2020, 04:40 PM
wow, what a joke.

I remember packs having a lot of cards in the early 90's it seemed.

allegate
07-17-2020, 06:57 PM
https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1284253919724466176

some really awesome covers here.

MrLobster
07-19-2020, 01:48 AM
[QUOTE=MrLobster;501889]https://twitter.com/ericvondran/status/1283192352908034048/photo/1

Finished reading 1 - 25... I... want more. And the Violator miniseries... and a few Youngblood issues to round out a story. I'll continue reading Spawn until I'm bored with it.

I also have to audit that Age of Apocalypse master list... I thought I had grabbed everything but then something didn't make sense and I may have typo'd... and as I research this, I still find some new things to add, like a What If for the 2005 Age of Apocalypse series.

MrLobster
07-19-2020, 05:29 PM
Audited the AoA master list; we have 124 of 134 titles (yes, I'll share the list once wholly completed). Six of the ten issues we're missing were new things I've added. One issue is already en route...

Re-sorted by month of release, instead of the Marvel.com suggested reading order (my partner tells me it didn't really matter due to the nature of the story but I feel better doing it this way), starts July 1994 and goes until December 2019. I hope I'm done with it after this...

versusreality
07-19-2020, 06:31 PM
wow, I never realized AoA started in 94...thought it was 95 or even 96. time flies.

my next trade haul will be my last for the summer. with grad school and returning to teaching in a month and a half (ughhhhh) I'm not going to have much free time anymore sadly.

my next trade haul completes the Frank Miller Daredevil stuff (not the Eleketra series though) , as well as Batman: Dark Victory, Black Mirror, and All Star Batman and Robin (which I'm really buying for the art, I know it got bad reviews otherwise)

I've also become "that person" where I sell my stuff on ebay after I read it. I may be moving in a year or two but the sooner I can clear up space, the better.

MrLobster
07-19-2020, 06:42 PM
wow, I never realized AoA started in 94...thought it was 95 or even 96. time flies.

Starts off with the X-Men Ashcan editions (July 94), then the prelude (Nov 94 - Feb 95), main series (Feb 95 - July 95), What if's and other assorted (Sept 95 - Dec 97), New extra stuff (July 99 - June 01)... and then everything 2005 forward.

I've also become "that person" where I sell my stuff on ebay after I read it. I may be moving in a year or two but the sooner I can clear up space, the better.

Nothing wrong with that... anything I don't want to keep (99% sure I won't read again) I pass along to a friend's new/used store... records/cds/books/comics/dvds/blu-rays... all for store credit (because I don't really care about the value, I'm not being precious about them... that's for the stuff I keep).

versusreality
07-20-2020, 04:23 PM
book 2 of Preacher came today. i LOVED the first book after being initially skeptical during the first few pages.

allegate
07-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Read the first trade for The Old Guard and was more than a little confused at how similar it was to a book I read back in 2014 called The Arrivals (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16248002-the-arrivals) by Melissa Marr. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt - I really don't think he read the book, it wasn't exactly a barn burner - but wow. I'm going to be reading the second trade later this week so it'll be interesting to see what's up.

MrLobster
07-30-2020, 01:08 PM
That last Amazing Spider-Man showed up, along with the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine series and that X-Men Ashcan #1. So close to being done this collecting binge... so close....

allegate
07-30-2020, 04:11 PM
finished the 2nd book.
So here's my criticism, take from it what you will: He wrote the first book and it did well. So well he was able to parley that into writing two more books and the movie. He wrote the movie. While the movie was being filmed he was writing the second book. The second book is somehow a sequel to the book and the movie. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but really? There's a huge plot point in the movie that doesn't get included in the book sequel and there's a gigantic action scene right then that absolutely cannot happen in the second movie.

And don't get me started on his characterization differences. There's some extra back story, which is nice, but it also somehow cheapens the character it's explaining? The movie did a better job of that. And what's the trope where someone is mad at you for something they think you did but you didn't do and they don't care about the truth they only care about what they think happened? Because that ish pisses me off every time. RIGHT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BOOK.

And the ending. Two pages of art (maybe three, I'm not going to check) and I hate it. The whole thing. The movie included. There's a very narrow path to be walked to make the next book bring it back around. I don't actually know what the path is but I can tell you that on either side lies madness.

Greg's a great writer and I love hearing him speak. The Fatman Beyond podcast he was on was great and made me like him even more as a writer. I just think that this book suffered something. This is not to say I could have done better, Lord knows, it's just that expectations were not met.

As I said before if you want to read a story about almost the exact same thing read The Arrivals (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16248002-the-arrivals) by Melissa Marr. The same "immortal until not" story is there - but set in an alien (literally) Wild West. And there's magic. There's even the 'dreams when there's a new person' thing.

To compare this series thus far, the first book is The Highlander and this one is Highlander 2.

MrLobster
08-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Watching that "Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't" doc while in the midst of collecting the issues/era they are talking about is kinda wild...

MrLobster
08-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Time to post that AoA master list (by publication date):

Supplemental Reading 1 (1994)
01. X-Men Ashcan #1
02. X-Men Ashcan #2

Prelude - Legion Quest (1994/1995)
01. X-Factor #108
02. X-Men #38
03. X-Factor #109
04. X-Men #39
05. Uncanny X-Men #319
06. X-Men #40
07. Uncanny X-Men #320
08. X-Men #41
09. Uncanny X-Men #321
10. Cable #20

First Series - The Age of Apocalypse (1995)
01. X-Men: Alpha #1
02. X-Men Chronicles #1
03. Generation Next #1
04. Astonishing X-Men #1
05. X-Calibre #1
06. Gambit and the X-Ternals #1
07. Weapon X #1
08. Amazing X-Men #1
09. Factor-X #1X-Man #1
10. Generation Next #2
11. Astonishing X-Men #2
12. X-Calibre #2
13. Gambit and the X-Ternals #2
14. Weapon X #2
15. Amazing X-Men #2
16. Factor-X #2
17. X-Man #2
18. Generation Next #3
19. Astonishing X-Men #3
20. X-Calibre #3
21. Gambit and the X-Ternals #3
22. Weapon X #3
23. Amazing X-Men #3
24. Factor X #3
25. X-Man #3
26. X-Universe #1
27. X-Men Chronicles #2
28. Generation Next #4
29. Astonishing X-Men #4
30. X-Calibre #4
31. Gambit and the X-Ternals #4
32. Weapon X #4
33. Amazing X-Men #4
34. Factor X #4
35. X-Man #4
36. X-Universe #2
37. X-Men: Omega #1
38. X-Men: Prime #1

Supplemental Reading 2 (1995/1996/1997)
01. What If #77
02. What If #81
03. X-Man Annual 1996
04. Age of Apocalypse The Chosen
05. Tales from The Age of Apocalypse: Sinister Bloodlines
06. Tales from The Age of Apocalypse: By the Light

Second Series - Apocalypse: The Twelve (1999/2000)
01. X-Man #53
02. X-Man #54
03. Cable #75
04. Uncanny X-Men #376
05. Wolverine #146
06. X-Man #59
07. X-Men #96
08. Cable #76
09. Uncanny X-Men #377
10. Wolverine #147
11. X-Man #60
12. X-Men #97

Third Series - Ages of Apocalypse (2000)
01. Cable #77
02. Uncanny X-Men #378
03. Wolverine #148
04. X-Men #98
05. X-Men Unlimited #26

Supplemental Reading 3 (2001)
01. Blink #1
02. Blink #2
03. Blink #3
04. Blink #4

Third Series - AoA 10th Anniversary (2005)
01. Official Handbook of the Age of Apocalypse
02. Exiles #59
03. X-Men: Age of Apocalpyse One Shot #1
04. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #1
05. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #2
06. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #3
07. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #4
08. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #5
09. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse #6
10. Exiles #60
11. Exiles #61

Supplemental Reading 4 (2007/2008/2009)
01. What If X-Men Age of Apocalypse #1
02. X-Men Endangered Species
03. Exiles Days of Then and Now
04. Hulk Broken Worlds #2

Fourth Series - The Dark Angel Saga (2011/2012)
01. Uncanny X-Force #8
02. Uncanny X-Force #9
03. Uncanny X-Force #10
04. Uncanny X-Force #11
05. Uncanny X-Force #12
06. Uncanny X-Force #13
07. Uncanny X-Force #14
08. Uncanny X-Force #15
09. Uncanny X-Force #16
10. Uncanny X-Force #17
11. Uncanny X-Force #18
12. Uncanny X-Force #19.1

Fifth Series - Age of Apocalypse (2012/2013)
01. Age of Apocalypse #1
02. Age of Apocalypse #2
03. Age of Apocalypse #3
04. Age of Apocalypse #4
05. Age of Apocalypse #5
06. Age of Apocalypse #6
07. Age of Apocalypse #7
08. Age of Apocalypse #8
09. Age of Apocalypse #9
10. Age of Apocalypse #10
11. Age of Apocalypse #11
12. Age of Apocalypse #12

Sixth Series - X-Termination (2013)
01. Age of Apocalypse #13
02. X-Termination #1
03. Astonishing X-Men #60
04. Age of Apocalypse #14
05. X-Treme X-Men #12
06. X-Termination #2
07. Astonishing X-Men #61
08. X-Treme X-Men #13
09. Astonishing X-Men #62

Supplemental Reading 5 (2015)
01. True Believers X-Men Age of Apocalpyse #1

Seventh Series - Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars (2015)
01. Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars #1
02. Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars #2
03. Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars #3
04. Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars #4
05. Age of Apocalypse Secret Wars #5

Supplemental Reading 6 (2019)
01. True Believers #1 X-Men Apocalpyse #1

october_midnight
08-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Holy shit, mass layoffs at DC.

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697

The ENTIRE DC Collectibles department gone completely. Meaning all figures, statues, etc. Gotta think they're going to outsource that shit going forward as it's a huuuuge revenue get for them. But the heads of DC Black Label? And like two weeks before their big FanDome event? wtf.

Jesus. Andy Khouri laid off. Jim Lee demoted. wtf is happening.

DC Comics layoffs reportedly a 'bloodbath'. (https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-layoffs-reportedly-a-bloodbath)

MrLobster
08-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Holy shit, mass layoffs at DC.

It's all just kinda fuckered...

october_midnight
08-10-2020, 09:28 PM
The AT&T merger sealed it. And also seeing word now that, and this was admittedly coming for a while now, DC Universe (their online subscription service) is DOA.

allegate
08-11-2020, 10:41 AM
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1293032748290936832

Tom
08-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Time to post that AoA master list (by publication date)...

One thing you don't have in there is the "X-Men: Year of The Mutants" special, which was a sneak preview to the original AoA with interviews with the writers. Here it is on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=x+men+year+of+the+mutants&_sacat=0

MrLobster
08-12-2020, 06:08 PM
One thing you don't have in there is the "X-Men: Year of The Mutants" special, which was a sneak preview to the original AoA with interviews with the writers.

Interesting... but being a collectors preview, it's not really related to the story is it? At least the Ashcans provide some context for what's to come...

Tom
08-12-2020, 06:17 PM
Interesting... but being a collectors preview, it's not really related to the story is it? At least the Ashcans provide some context for what's to come...
Yes that's right - it's not a comic. But it is a nice window onto the era and the hype that surrounded the original arc - if anything, it offers a neat means of shooting one's head back to 1994 before starting on the comics proper.