PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock 1994 new VHS audio transfer from original broadcast

acetboy
11-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Hello everyone.

Actually this is my first post.

So awhile back I was poking around in Ryan’s NIN archive. I had recently acquired a tape of the NIN show from Champaign, IL
on 1994-11-09. I transferred and mastered that tape and shared it on Dimeadozen. It’s now in the archive.
I was at that show with a friend. We had just discovered NIN while watching the Woodstock performance several months earlier.
I was looking in the archive to see what sources of the Woodstock show were available. I checked some of them out, all the time
knowing that in a cupboard I had VHS tapes of the pay-per-view. I had not watched them in years. Still haven’t watched.

So anyway I found the tape that had the NIN performance and decided it needed to be transferred. I don’t have the ability to
transfer the video so it was only going to be the audio. That’s what I cared about the most anyway.
I dug out an old VHS VCR and hooked up the audio out to my ProTools M Box2. I didn’t even hook up to watch the video.
So I’m not sure how the picture quality compares to what’s commonly available. Probably similar. The VCR used to record
would have been pretty nice. Recorded at the faster speed in stereo. But not Super VHS or whatever there might have been at the time.

So I think this turned out pretty darn good. The show is complete with all of Trent’s speaking and cussing. lol
The dynamics that were present in the broadcast are all still there. I haven’t used hardly any compression.
A half a dozen peaks got pulled back a bit. There’s no compression squashing this share.
So if it’s compared to other shares from the bootlegs etc. it’s not as loud. Way not as loud. Just turn it up.

I love the sound of the broadcast. It’s easy to hear why Trent wasn’t real happy with it. The mix is all over the place.
One moment your thinking; ‘oh that stuff in the back-round could sure be louder’ and then Robin’s guitar or some synth
will come blasting out. It’s quite a racket!!

This can’t be shared over at Dime so I’m bringing it here. I think some of you might like it.

I sent Ryan a copy of it. When he gets the time someday I guess he will get it up on the archive.
I know he’s busy with his life and school and the fact that NIN have been on tour.

Enjoy

acetboy 2018-11-04

Ryan has this up now, here is the link:

http://ninlive.com/shows/1994/19940813.html

Nine Inch Nails
1994-08-13
Woodstock 1994
Saugerties, NY

Pay-per-view > Unknown now High End Satellite system > Unknown now high end VHS recorder >
playback for audio capture Sharp VC-H800 VHS > ProTools LE M BOX2 PRO at 44.1 24 bit >
ProTools software > ocenaudio for eq fine tuning and 16 conversion > xACT for 44.1 16 flac > into the wild

Trent Reznor
Robin Finck
Danny Lohner
Chris Vrenna
James Woolley

01 Intro/Pinion
02 Terrible Lie
03 Sin
04 March of the Pigs
05 Something I Can Never Have
06 Closer
07 Reptile
08 Wish
09 Suck
10 Burn
11 The Only Time
12 Down In It
13 Dead Souls
14 Help Me I'm in Hell
15 Happiness in Slavery
16 Head Like a Hole

This is pretty much a perfect capture of the audio.
There's one or two tiny transmission/reception glitches. No big deal.
Nothing of the performance is missing.
I've used almost no compression on this.
Just a bit to tame a handful of peaks.
No Limiting. This is exactly what it sounded like
coming across the satellite feed.
The only audio work done was mostly to keep equal levels in both channels.
There was no phase issues whatsoever. No DC offset. No weird crap in the low end.
Not much eq work needed.

If burning to CD, cut
between track 08 and 09.

Original capture by acetboy.

Mastered by acetboy in October 2018.

acetboy 2018-10-07

StockAvuryah
11-06-2018, 06:35 AM
Great rip ! Thank you.

ninlive
11-06-2018, 09:13 AM
I sent Ryan a copy of it. When he gets the time someday I guess he will get it up on the archive.
I know he’s busy with his life and school and the fact that NIN have been on tour.

I know, I am sorry I haven't gotten them up. I have to look at the ones that I have because someone "reworked" a transfer a few years ago. I just have a bunch of additions that need to be made as well. Plus I have 6 exams in the next 9 days. Just really busy and glad there is a break from the tour!

Thanks for sharing all this stuff. I am always stoked to get new additions to the archive. :)

ekrekel
11-07-2018, 09:03 AM
That’s a pretty epic first post.

SM Rollinger
11-07-2018, 11:23 AM
IIRC there was a widescreen version that surfaced a few years ago too

FULLMETAL
02-25-2019, 02:44 PM
I picked up some betacam reels over the weekend & dug out my gear to run some transfers. I remembered I had a Woodstock clip from MTV that may have been sourced from NHK's Hi-Vision version. So, I tossed it up on YouTube.

Alas, MusicVault filed a copyright claim on YT. Hopefully, you can see the video here. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIlQCpRsa5sIMfNsnIHp7qYEiMrKHez_/view?usp=sharing)

Looking at this footage recorded from MTV, it's clear to me MV's source is a poorly transferred VHS as the black levels are crushed, the colors aren't as vibrant, and the resolution is muddy.

Seeing how this will be the 25th anniversary (fuck, I'm old), one would hope someone would dig through the Polygram library and release a high quality transfer of NHK's Hi-Vision master.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
02-26-2019, 11:44 AM
One would think Trent would release a blu ray of this celebrating the most iconic NIN concert of them all.....But I digress

botley
02-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Well, if the rights were totally owned by Trent and a release was completely under his control, maybe... but I have faith whoever holds them is open to the right deal to make it happen.

TheBang
02-27-2019, 07:30 PM
but I have faith whoever holds them is open to the right deal to make it happen.
Interscope? lol

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
02-28-2019, 12:14 PM
Nirvana was able to get the rights to their Live and Loud Seattle 93 video for the In Utero deluxe. That was MTV/Viacom who aren't exactly the easiest to deal with....Whoever owns the rights to Woodstock can't be as bad as them

ickyvicky
02-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Green Day is releasing a Woodstock 94 vinyl on Record Store Day

SM Rollinger
02-28-2019, 12:35 PM
You guys forget that Trent hates this performance...

(dont get me wrong, i love it)

versusreality
03-03-2019, 06:43 AM
I am a massive fan of the Woodstock 94 festival. I was about 8 years old, watching on PPV. My parents (who were/are NIN fans) had friends and family over for the NIN concert- it was like a huge event! About 15 of us watching it. It truly felt like something part of history. I was in awe of the band covered in mud, seeing them live play the songs my parents played over and over.

I would love to see a blu ray of it, for the 25th anniversary. I tried to get in touch 5 years ago with whoever owns the rights to the footage now to have the entire festival released in a 20 year anniversary box set. No luck, but performances were eventually uploaded on Youtube under Music Vault (who now owns the rights, I believe) .

I'd still love a release of the festival in full- with behind the scenes stuff, unseen performances (would KILL for Rave Stock footage of Aphex Twin, the Orb, and Orbital! ) interviews, and retrospectives. A stand alone NIN blu ray with those features would be fine too.