PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Rhapsody

NotoriousTIMP
11-04-2018, 02:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0VHJYFOAU

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this movie. Went and saw it this past Friday thanks to my $4 movie ticket from T-Mobile. I liked it and it was entertaining, but I felt the pacing was off and I was curious if the band members were actually that easily swayed to do Live Aid. Did anyone else see this yet?

fillow
11-04-2018, 03:23 PM
if the band members were actually that easily swayed to do Live Aid. Did anyone else see this yet?
Please keep in mind that film is terribly inaccurate in many events' order.
I just saw it today. The film gives an impression that the band went on some kind of hiatus before the Live Aid, and getting back together for this event is a huge deal for them, while in fact they were touring in support of The Works album throughout most of 1984 and until May 1985. (Live Aid happened in July). I'm not even getting into the Freddy's diagnosis and revelation here.

Space Suicide
11-04-2018, 03:26 PM
I consider it a loosely based biopic of the band and Mercury. There's a lot of inconsistencies and ignored historical facts. It looks like an amusing and fun film if you love Queen. I like them enough and reckon I'd probably enjoy it if I seen it.

ricardo
11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
If I wanted accurracy, I'd watch a documentary. This movie is great. It's a fun, moving popcorn flick that makes you want to have a band and be amazing like Freddie was.

Sure, there are flaws. CGI crowd/stadium (guess this is not a spoiler right?) can be a little distracting. But this is secondary. Seeing some people crying around me during some moments was a great experience. This is a celebration. This is nostalgia done right.

Or maybe I just expecting something truly bad, lol. But I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

ghostaustin
11-06-2018, 05:26 PM
It was fun and overall I enjoyed it, but it almost felt like a parody of a Queen movie. Nothing really got a chance to breathe, it seemed like a bunch of narrative just crammed together.

GulDukat
11-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Saw the movie today and loved it. I'm a Queen fan but not a fanatic, so I can't really comment on how accurate the film was.

hellospaceboy
11-23-2018, 01:19 PM
Watched it the other night and I liked it a lot! The casting was excellent, and the recreation of LiveAid was stellar. All in all, it was really fun movie to sit through!

The only thing I didn't love was the abrupt ending, but I'm sure it won't be quite as jarring on a second viewing.

GulDukat
11-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Watched it the other night and I liked it a lot! The casting was excellent, and the recreation of LiveAid was stellar. All in all, it was really fun movie to sit through!

The only thing I didn't love was the abrupt ending, but I'm sure it won't be quite as jarring on a second viewing.If the ending showed Freddie in his final days and ended like Philadelphia, it would have been a total bummer. The movie instead was a celibration of his life.

onthewall2983
11-24-2018, 02:27 PM
A movie on it's own about Freddie's last years could actually be quite powerful. He didn't just sit down and wait to die, he worked. Nearly 3 albums worth of material with the band, videos and occasional press. All the while the British tabloids were pounding down their door and made things so unbearable they had to work elsewhere. It could be a powerful narrative to show cinematically now.

Sutekh
11-26-2018, 07:08 PM
it's a down-the-pub retelling of the story, but it's fucking great and obviously the best rock biopic

the decision to make the last 20 mins or so of the film a cinematic recreation of the live aid gig (complete with an accurate recon of the old wembey stadium), was ballsy and absolutely paid off

The Kenny Everett double was insanely good (although sadly their relationship wasn't elaborated on any further), casting generally spot on - couldn't believe that little kid from jurassic park was so much like Deacon

downsides - wonky timeline, didn't really touch on the creative processes involved that much - no mention of freddie's interest in ballet, performance art, cinema (outside of a marlene dietrich picture in his house), no real mention of his background as an artist and design student (one reference in passing), no Kenny Everett

So basically all the criticisms are of the presentation of the official narrative - otherwise as a film, pretty much spot-on

onthewall2983
11-26-2018, 07:17 PM
BqlvBZlBj4D

chuckrh
01-15-2019, 04:13 AM
finally saw this last night. i thought Raimi Malek was fantastic as Freddie. film would've been terrible but his performance elevated the whole thing. pretty entertaining.