PDA

View Full Version : Bird Box (2019)

Pages : [1] 2

Toadflax
10-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Sounds interesting. Anyone read the book?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Box_(film)

Nellyrific
10-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Yes, it was incredibly creepy and uncomfortable for me, and I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reznor2112
10-30-2018, 07:48 PM
They go into more detail about the scoring here...

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-film-scores-nine-inch-nails-1203012287/amp/?fbclid=IwAR2nQRpFFzCvlGWZuOE61o_9IpQmFPGPBBnUVDrm LCbCrgQE0dX3ePzGQxU

BRoswell
10-31-2018, 10:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2AsIXSh2xo

ninlive
10-31-2018, 03:44 PM
They finished Bird Box 2 hours before hitting the stage in Atlanta. Thought that was pretty crazy how they do all this stuff on the road.

streetman
12-04-2018, 12:46 AM
I had no idea that they're releasing Bird Box in theaters for an Oscar push. That should be interesting. Can't wait to hear the score.

paul_guyet
12-12-2018, 08:57 AM
New trailer. Maybe new music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=131&v=INJ2bPFy108

spahn
12-12-2018, 01:41 PM
I've been looking everywhere for info on this OST with no luck. I hope it's not a digital only release. Something about not having a physical copy (either vinyl, cd, etc) makes it seem like i am missing something from the collection.

xfocalinx
12-12-2018, 10:21 PM
I've been looking everywhere for info on this OST with no luck. I hope it's not a digital only release. Something about not having a physical copy (either vinyl, cd, etc) makes it seem like i am missing something from the collection.

100% agreed!

paul_guyet
12-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Movie has leaked. Checking out the music now.

paul_guyet
12-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Okay, because I actually want to see this movie and not just skim through it for music, I went to the end credits to check things out. At first, there's a piece that feels very Patriots' Day, nothing mindblowing for TR/AR, but over the majority of the end credits is what I've been waiting for since Reznor announced his would start scoring films...a creepy and intense piece of music MADE for a horror movie. There's a distorted violin loop and a lot of those wonky bell noises from Patriots' Day...I won't keep spoiling.

Really looking forward to sitting down with the film.

Attached is a screenshot from the credits.

Maybe. Fuck Instagram.

Brgj7V-h8Fc

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brgj7V-h8Fc/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

streetman
12-18-2018, 12:28 AM
Seems like it's a movie that keeps the score in the background. Couldn't really hear much to be honest. Disappointing.

gorast
12-18-2018, 10:32 PM
This definitely seems like another digital EP release. I can't imagine that there's a lot of music for it.

Guess we'll see on Friday.

EDIT: This post aged extremely poorly, in retrospect.

StockAvuryah
12-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Someone linked to this tumblr blog (https://nullum-arcanum.tumblr.com/post/181236103833/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-calm-anticipation) on r/nin.

Here are the snippets on this blog (no information indicating these are real though). Will be out soon anyway.

Drawing End : http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/drawing_end.mp3

Calm Anticipation : http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/calm_anticipation2.mp3

And also found this lol : http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/04.%20God%20Break%20Down%20the%20Door.mp3?plead=pl ease-dont-download-this-or-our-lawyers-wont-let-us-host-audio

streetman
12-19-2018, 10:46 PM
Someone linked to this tumblr blog (https://nullum-arcanum.tumblr.com/post/181236103833/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-calm-anticipation) on r/nin.

Here are the snippets on this blog (no information indicating these are real though). Will be out soon anyway.

Calm Anticipation : http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/calm_anticipation2.mp3

And also found this lol : http://arcanumifallet.pcriot.com/fetched/04.%20God%20Break%20Down%20the%20Door.mp3?plead=pl ease-dont-download-this-or-our-lawyers-wont-let-us-host-audio

These tracks were in the end credits of the movie. I wonder if they just ripped it from there?

zecho
12-20-2018, 11:41 AM

What is that last one?

paul_guyet
12-20-2018, 05:34 PM
What is that last one?Someone just messed with the mix of GBDTD.

NIN64
12-21-2018, 07:46 AM
It’s up on US Netflix. The score is very subtle. Fits the movie well. Need repeat viewings/listenings, but I’m digging it so far.

richardp
12-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Pretty excited to check this out. The five minute preview sold me pretty hard on it. I'm really surprised though that the soundtrack wasn't released today.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
12-21-2018, 02:33 PM
Between this and the Jonah Hill "score", it seems like Trent is just saying yes to every film score that comes his way. I miss the grand rollouts for these big scores like Social Network and Dragon Tattoo....These last 2 have been very forgettable....The Jonah Hill one was a 4 song 12 minute digital download throwaway and this is more of the same

bobbie solo
12-21-2018, 02:45 PM
The Jonah Hill movie had absolutely no budget and he begged Trent to give them whatever he could. So they came up with a small amount of compositions to use in the tiny little film that it was. Perfectly fine with that, especially b/c the output was very good imo.

caca
12-21-2018, 02:57 PM
The Jonah Hill movie had absolutely no budget and he begged Trent to give them whatever he could. So they came up with a small amount of compositions to use in the tiny little film that it was. Perfectly fine with that, especially b/c the output was very good imo.

All of this.

richardp
12-21-2018, 04:19 PM
Between this and the Jonah Hill "score", it seems like Trent is just saying yes to every film score that comes his way. I miss the grand rollouts for these big scores like Social Network and Dragon Tattoo....These last 2 have been very forgettable....The Jonah Hill one was a 4 song 12 minute digital download throwaway and this is more of the same

You mean Trent and Atticus are working like normal film composers?? SHOCKING!

botley
12-21-2018, 05:07 PM
How dare they! They should tour to every city on the planet, and also put out a NIN record every year, and only release huge box-set sized soundtrack albums too! IT'S NOT FAIR.

SchwarzerAbt
12-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Have we heard any word on this from Trent Reznor or one of NIN's social media accounts?

I wonder if this is one of the projects they mentioned in that Mexico interview that they are not content with the process.

On the other hand they've been busy touring and are now probably in their well-deserved holidays. So considering that they apparently only contributed a small amount of music to this, the silence is not a big surprise either. Still I'm curious if there are any plans for a release of these tracks.:rolleyes:

12-21-2018, 07:17 PM
You mean Trent and Atticus are working like normal film composers?? SHOCKING!

They are working more like standard film composers, not elite ones (which they are)...They are at a level where they do not need to compose films or tv shows to pay the bills. They can be selective and choose what they want, so saying yes to Jonah Hill skateboard movies to dump out 4 songs that he can write in his sleep that he composed backstage in the most half baked way possible, or to say yes to some netflix show where 99% of the audience watching it wont give two fucks who the score came from doesnt seem prudent at this juncture of their careers. Carpenter and Morricone and Hans Zimmer do not say yes to everything that they get offered. Next we are going to hear how TR and Atticus are going to score a "very special episode" of Fuller House

richardp
12-21-2018, 07:26 PM
They are working more like standard film composers, not elite ones (which they are)...They are at a level where they do not need to compose films or tv shows to pay the bills. They can be selective and choose what they want, so saying yes to Jonah Hill skateboard movies to dump out 4 songs that he can write in his sleep that he composed backstage in the most half baked way possible, or to say yes to some netflix show where 99% of the audience watching it wont give two fucks who the score came from doesnt seem prudent at this juncture of their careers. Carpenter and Morricone and Hans Zimmer do not say yes to everything that they get offered. Next we are going to hear how TR and Atticus are going to score a "very special episode" of Fuller House

Orrrrrr.... hear me out...

They just enjoy making music, and enjoy the process of scoring films. They also, if you can believe it, might also be collaborating with friends or, in Jonah Hill's case, fans, as a courtesy, or just entirely for fun.

I know it's hard to grasp it, but not every musician makes career choices based on the individual needs of every fan.

12-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Orrrrrr.... hear me out...

They just enjoy making music, and enjoy the process of scoring films. They also, if you can believe it, might also be collaborating with friends or, in Jonah Hill's case, fans, as a courtesy, or just entirely for fun.

I know it's hard to grasp it, but not every musician makes career choices based on the individual needs of every fan.

If you think a 4 song 12 minute digital download "score" is equal to the 2-3 hour scores of Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl, and that he put as much effort into these little 3 or 4 song scores as he did with the others...So be it lol....Thats like saying Bad Witch in all its 25 minute entirety is as big of a magnum opus as the 3 hours of The Fragile.....My point is dumping out these little 3 or 4 song quick toss-off scores seems like throwaways compared to the scores of Social Nework/Dragon/Gone Girl etc

richardp
12-21-2018, 11:17 PM
If you think a 4 song 12 minute digital download "score" is equal to the 2-3 hour scores of Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl, and that he put as much effort into these little 3 or 4 song scores as he did with the others...So be it lol....Thats like saying Bad Witch in all its 25 minute entirety is as big of a magnum opus as the 3 hours of The Fragile.....My point is dumping out these little 3 or 4 song quick toss-off scores seems like throwaways compared to the scores of Social Nework/Dragon/Gone Girl etc

Alright dude. You've missed the point complete. But alright dude.

BRoswell
12-21-2018, 11:20 PM
They are at a level where they do not need to compose films or tv shows to pay the bills.

They've always been at that level.

Carpenter and Morricone and Hans Zimmer do not say yes to everything that they get offered.

Carpenter would totally say yes to anything that was offered to him if the money was right. That's all he cares about. Morricone may not, but if you think Hans Zimmer is frothing at the mouth to score films like The Boss Baby, you're dead fucking wrong.

Also, Trent has specifically stated that they've been offered films and they've passed on them because they didn't feel like they were a good fit for them. Just because a film may not be your cup of tea or have loads of music attached to it doesn't mean that they're phoning it in.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: the amount of music that's in a film is not up to the composer(s). It's up to the filmmakers. If a director wants a minimalist score, then that's what they'll ask for. It's not as if a director asks for a bombastic score and Trent & Atticus say "nah, we're just going to give you this because that's all we feel like doing". They're working in service to whatever the filmmakers' vision is.

streetman
12-22-2018, 03:13 AM

LOL. I get what you're saying but Trent IS picking and choosing. I think he's doing what he finds interesting as opposed to what will make him seem like an elite composer or whatever you mean. I do think he should be even more selective and do movies in which the music plays a larger role. These last 2 movies haven't really been about the score at all and that's disappointing. I believe there was a rumor a while back that had them scoring a musical. Now that's something I think he should do; it would be about the music and it would be an interesting challenge for him I'm sure.

Lerxto
12-22-2018, 05:22 AM
Nowadays ETS does feel very niche-y indeed.
Just discuss the score and the music. It's not like there's a lack of material. Trent always gives us a lot more than what's featured in the movie.
I don't care how the film producers chose the same part of the same song over and over (Vietnam War) when TR/AR gave them whole lot more, or made the decision to feature the soundtrack in the background throughout.

I just want the music to be good.
I'll wait until the proper score is released, talk about it, and be grateful for the fact they managed to do it while touring.

BRoswell
12-22-2018, 10:15 AM
I do think he should be even more selective and do movies in which the music plays a larger role. These last 2 movies haven't really been about the score at all and that's disappointing.

It's only disappointing if you are someone who thinks the score should always be prominent just because it's Trent & Atticus. Trent has mentioned in a couple interviews that he appreciates it when a score doesn't overpower a movie but sits comfortably in it and supports the visual and storytelling elements (that's not a direct quote, by the way), and I feel Trent & Atticus have managed to do that very well with the projects they've worked on, especially in the last few years.

paul_guyet
12-22-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but it is the first time R & R have worked with a female director.

buckaroo
12-22-2018, 10:59 AM
I’m surprised by all this negative feedback. I watched this last night and thought the score was really great. It felt very important to the film and really built a feeling of dread. I think the silence was important to the overall tone of the movie. If anything I felt this was a better fit for them. I really liked the contrast they built with the uneasy ambinet stuff during the flash backs and the softer more hopeful piano during the transitions to present day. The end credits is some of their best work in my opinion. Very reminiscent of At Risk from Gone Girl in terms of feel.

Horican
12-22-2018, 11:46 AM
I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but it is the first time R & R have worked with a female director.
No it's not. Lynn Novick is female

And I'm guessing most of the negative feedback is from people who haven't watched the film yet

(edit: I haven't seen it yet either, it's not an attack. Just that it doesn't look like people are really talking about the score but just about them thinking there's probably not much of it)

12-22-2018, 12:22 PM
My only point is a 3 or 4 song 10 minute score is not on the same level as those 2/3 hour scores. These last 2 projects seem like step downs compared to the big movie scores he was doing a few years ago. Which is why these last couple of scores came and went without a whimper, as opposed to Social Network or Dragon Tattoo, where people were talking about them for 6 months to a year after their release (fans and industry)

I am still waiting for him to Atticus to score a horror film. How this has not happened yet is beyond me. A TR/AR score of a horror film would be right up there with Carpenter's Halloween

WorzelG
12-22-2018, 12:25 PM
My only point is a 3 or 4 song 10 minute score is not on the same level as those 2/3 hour scores. These last 2 projects seem like step downs compared to the big movie scores he was doing a few years ago. Which is why these last couple of scores came and went without a whimper, as opposed to Social Network or Dragon Tattoo, where people were talking about them for 6 months to a year after their release (fans and industry)

I am still waiting for him to Atticus to score a horror film. How this has not happened yet is beyond me. A TR/AR score of a horror film would be right up there with Carpenter's Halloween
David Fincher is directing a zombie film World War Z, filming begins in June - this would be horror wouldn’t it if they were involved?

BRoswell
12-22-2018, 12:44 PM
My only point is a 3 or 4 song 10 minute score is not on the same level as those 2/3 hour scores.

They're not supposed to be though. Also, I should point out that a lot of the music on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo album is either not in the film at all, or is used very briefly. Trent & Atticus also took a huge headstart on that project, whereas their more recent scores were done in a more traditional manner, i.e. the film is finished for the most part and they're brought in to do their work.

Look, it may be nice to have those sprawling score albums, but not every film they work on is going to have that. Some are going to be smaller affairs. That's just how film scoring works. Every film has different needs.

Bird Box is, by all accounts, a horror film.

paul_guyet
12-22-2018, 01:18 PM
No it's not. Lynn Novick is femaleSorry, the first SOLO female director they've worked with.

streetman
12-22-2018, 02:40 PM
David Fincher is directing a zombie film World War Z, filming begins in June - this would be horror wouldn’t it if they were involved?

I hope to god Fincher gets Trent/AR for that one! Now that would be epic.

Reznor2112
12-22-2018, 05:08 PM
I guess I am wrong but There is more than 10 mins worth of score in this film. Would easily make a full length LP

EDIT: and if I might add...this was a pretty good movie. We very much enjoyed it. And the score (while very similar to Patriots day) is very good and ominous

snichols
12-22-2018, 06:21 PM
personally i'm just happy to get any music from TR/AR and the last couple years have been amazing with all the releases, NIN and otherwise.

gorast
12-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Wonder if they're working on a more elaborate release than what was done for Mid90s (maybe because there's more music?) and they waited until the tour was done to put the time into it. Sequencing and mixing it as an album or something, rather than just slapping the songs together.

caca
12-23-2018, 01:00 AM
Holy fuck, this movie was wonderful. It’s like Children of Men had sex with A Quiet Place.

The score is extensive, and it’s great. If you dig tracks like “Another Version of the Truth,” “Adrift and At Peace,” you’ll enjoy this. It’s a great balance of pretty, brittle, somber, and unnerving.

eachpassingphase
12-23-2018, 08:32 AM
Just watched it. The score was excellent. I had some complaints about the movie itself, but I still enjoyed it overall. Makes me want to pick up the book it’s based off of.

chuckrh
12-23-2018, 12:24 PM
watched the film this morning. it was ok.

xmpx_
12-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Is this a surprise
edit: 2 New songs Nice

ROFLRICK
12-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Bird Box was entertaining, and had several standout sequences—the birth of the kids, for instance, was riveting.

The score was buried in the mix early in the film, but is later prominent throughout, with several new textures I’ve not heard T&A use. The piano motif used in relation to the children was pretty, and a great contrast to the cacaphony the score played as in certain intense scenes.

Hoping against hope for a good physical release.

ricardo
12-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Good soundtrack, movie was ok. Malkovich's character was so obviously written it was kinda pathetic. He even says "Let's make something GREAT AGAIN" at some point.

Hey, we get it. You hate Trump. But now let me go back to watch Sandra Bullock trying to save her kids using several types of guns and going to stores that look like current Venezuela and the socialism you love so much except for them still having food.

JessicaSarahS
12-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Bird Box was entertaining, and had several standout sequences—the birth of the kids, for instance, was riveting.

The score was buried in the mix early in the film, but is later prominent throughout, with several new textures I’ve not heard T&A use. The piano motif used in relation to the children was pretty, and a great contrast to the cacaphony the score played as in certain intense scenes.

Hoping against hope for a good physical release.

Agreed--I really liked that part. The movie was surprisingly good! Reminds me of The Road and A Quiet Place.

Prettybrokenspiral
12-28-2018, 02:09 PM
LMFAO new music Friday and still no Bird Box score release of any kind. I cannot, for the life of me, understand writing an album's worth of score music for a relatively-hyped up film and then not releasing it in any way, shape or form when the movie comes out. We're looking at what's shaping up to be the great Tapeworm of TR/AR score music, I guess..

At least Patriot's Day had a digital release before Lakeshore completely dropped the ball on a physical release of any kind. Two years later and that score is clearly never seeing a physical release, despite the ominous "coming soon" label, smh..

BRoswell
12-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Really? Tapeworm? The film's been out for a week, and people are already comparing it to fuckin' Tapeworm?

The hyperbole is strong up in here.

ROFLRICK
12-28-2018, 10:23 PM
So, according to Netflix, something like 47,000,000 folks have watched this film, or at least started it. Does this not constitute the highest number of times a piece of music composed by the Reznor camp has been listened to?

bobbie solo
12-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Watched this tonight. Major Quiet Place vibes of course, and it suffers a bit b/c it came out after that one. Still entertaining, with good performances. The scenes shot on the river are gorgeous. Bullock is a great anchor. Really liked Tom, aka fake 50 Cent aka the dude from Moonlight.

Thought Trent's score was excellent. The trained NIN ear can hear signature sounds, ideas & motifs that we would be familiar with. Score is prominent at times, and there is music used throughout. Would def. want to listen to this on its own.

Max
12-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Unlike previous releases I haven’t seen the soundtrack on Apple Music. Anyone know anything about that?

Max
12-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Good soundtrack, movie was ok. Malkovich's character was so obviously written it was kinda pathetic. He even says "Let's make something GREAT AGAIN" at some point.

Hey, we get it. You hate Trump. But now let me go back to watch Sandra Bullock trying to save her kids using several types of guns and going to stores that look like current Venezuela and the socialism you love so much except for them still having food.

So I am guessing you weren’t a fan of Add Violence, Bad Witch, or any of Trent’s interviews over the last three years and why exactly are you here?

simonn
12-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Having to leech off a relatives Netflix account to hear this music - hopefully in next 48 hrs. Come on Trent - please release this if it's possible to.

fillow
12-29-2018, 04:19 PM
FWIW the end credits do say Original score available via The Null Corporation, so something is definitely getting released, at least in digital form. And there is definitely an album worth of music in the film.

The movie was.. ok, I guess. Plot holes all around, some cardboard characterization also involved, but an entertaining feature nonetheless.

bobbie solo
12-30-2018, 02:48 AM
maybe theyre waiting for the long holiday period to be over before they announce anything. Don't want the PR push to die while so many people aren't paying attention/in their normal routine yet?

simonn
12-30-2018, 04:27 AM
FWIW the end credits do say Original score available vie The Null Corporation, so something is definitely getting released, at least in digital form. And there is definitely an album worth of music in the film.

The movie was.. ok, I guess. Plot holes all around, some cardboard characterization also involved, but an entertaining feature nonetheless.

Thanks, didn't spot that.

Yes, watched the movie last night. Not the 'most terrifying movie of all time', as some had labelled it. OK-ish Saturday night fare, no more, no less. Musically, my favourite bit was where there was mayhem when the outbreak first hit the USA - reminded me of a cross between Tetsuo and 35 Ghosts IV - though would need to hear it without all the other noise going on to see whether that stands up or not. Aside from that, mostly fairly muted, if still familiar bits and pieces, and the music wasn't as much of a feature towards the end as I'd hoped. Maybe once the soundtrack does get released it'll stand out for me more - tbf this might be the first time I've seen the film before hearing the soundtrack for one of their films so this has undoubtedly played a part in me being very slightly underwhelmed at this stage.

eversonpoe
12-30-2018, 09:13 AM
maybe theyre waiting for the long holiday period to be over before they announce anything. Don't want the PR push to die while so many people aren't paying attention/in their normal routine yet?

potentially true, since it's a TRAR release and not a NIN release. didn't NTAE drop a couple days before x-mas two years ago?

Avarik
12-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Pretty sure anyone who is interested will find out about NIN shit regardless of the long holiday period...

Did you forget about The Gift?

zecho
12-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Well, this movie was... okay. Well acted, good music, but it's not scary, and it has zero atmosphere. Watch The Road or It Comes at Night; similar stories, but with actual tension and an overwhelming atmosphere. This movie also has some pretty bad cliches. At the beginning of the movie I literally turned and said "if such and such happens, I'm gonna be done with this movie" and then at the very end it happened. Worst part of the whole movie. If you watched it, you know what I'm talking about.

otnavuskire
01-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Abridged version of the score is available now, with a longer physical release planned for the spring.

http://www.nin.com/bird-box-score-available-now/

spahn
01-01-2019, 12:05 PM
And the soundtrack is now available for purchase:
https://store.nin.com/collections/music/products/bird-box-soundtrack-digital-lp?variant=21013870346317

spahn
01-01-2019, 12:08 PM
i'd love to buy this now but the fact that the physical release will come with a digital download is really hindering my purchase now.

otnavuskire
01-01-2019, 12:11 PM
i'd love to buy this now but the fact that the physical release will come with a digital download is really hindering my purchase now.

Not necessarily. It's described as a "physical-only offering." Also, there's an edit button for a reason.

FULLMETAL
01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I'm not in any rush and don't mind waiting for the self-indulgent physical version (with liner notes in Braille).

That said, I was looking forward to what else was coming in 2019 until I highlighted the text...

https://i.imgur.com/AujxWOd.png

valiantsteed
01-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I enjoyed the film and found it well paced with the right amount of intensity. It was the perfect "teaser" for the score. Now time to dive into it. I'm very stoked to see what's in store here.

trollmanen
01-01-2019, 12:56 PM
For those that have purchased it, what are the specs of the WAV and FLAC downloads? Is either high res than the other?

01-01-2019, 01:55 PM
When Trent says "physical only", I assume he just means catering to the vinyl only hipsters....I doubt we see any CDs of these although a2/3 hour soundtrack is ripe for a 3 CD set

StockAvuryah
01-01-2019, 02:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4VPHs0tSM&feature=em-uploademail

fresh from the Null Corp youtube channel

trollmanen
01-01-2019, 03:22 PM
When Trent says "physical only", I assume he just means catering to the vinyl only hipsters....I doubt we see any CDs of these although a2/3 hour soundtrack is ripe for a 3 CD set

If he's releasing hi-res digital, then why bother with a CD release? I can understand frustration with vinyl only tracks, but with digital, CD's are useless.

Reznor2112
01-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Damn... 'Undercurrents' got me all hot and bothered.

loooove it.

ROFLRICK
01-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Given some sort of physical version is forthcoming, I opted or the MP3 version for quick uploading to Google Play. Buyer beware, however, the bit rate is 128kbps with a sample rate of 48,000hz. Sounds fine, but some may be unhappy spending $6.99 for it.

gorast
01-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Wow, really? Were any of the other mp3 releases 128?

Aside from that, I'm excited that not only is this out, but more is coming. Maybe now's finally the time for those other DEs, and Quake, and Patriots Day, and Still...good thing I got a raise for this year.

Substance242
01-01-2019, 05:16 PM
For those that have purchased it, what are the specs of the WAV and FLAC downloads? Is either high res than the other?

The site says "PLEASE NOTE - ALL FILES PURCHASED FROM THE UK STORE WILL NOT BE DELIVERED UNTIL JANUARY 2ND", but no FLACs for me yet, I'll let you know then.

01-01-2019, 05:28 PM
If he's releasing hi-res digital, then why bother with a CD release? I can understand frustration with vinyl only tracks, but with digital, CD's are useless.

Physical product will always be better than digital only.....Digital are throwaway as far as I am concerned. I prefer the physical release (as do many other people)

Lerxto
01-01-2019, 06:08 PM
FLACs are 24bit 48khz as usual. I bet WAVs are the same.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, as we've learnt certain springs just never come.
Jokes aside, I think a slew of reissues, DEs and vinyl releases will arrive around Easter.

trollmanen
01-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Given some sort of physical version is forthcoming, I opted or the MP3 version for quick uploading to Google Play. Buyer beware, however, the bit rate is 128kbps with a sample rate of 48,000hz. Sounds fine, but some may be unhappy spending $6.99 for it.

That has to be an error that they'll fix soon. They always do 320kbps MP3, though 48K does slip by, Deviations was 48K.

ROFLRICK
01-01-2019, 06:47 PM
That has to be an error that they'll fix soon. They always do 320kbps MP3, though 48K does slip by, Deviations was 48K.

That would be ideal.

botley
01-01-2019, 06:57 PM
I prefer the physical release (as do many other people)
Wow, Bill, earlier in the thread it was not a big enough rollout for you. Not enough material, and a "step down" from their earlier work. Now they're doing a big fuck-off box set, and it's not gonna be in the right format for you (even though you don't know what format the physical release is yet). Must be kinda exhausting pointing out how everything NIN has done since 1997 is totally wrong!

BRoswell
01-01-2019, 08:23 PM
There's no way this got released. It's just like Tapeworm!

01-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Must be kinda exhausting pointing out how everything NIN has done since 1997 is totally wrong!

I remember Bill saying in 2013 Trent needs to do some aggressive music instead of the minimal sounds of HM...I also remember Bill saying Trent needs to do a tour playing deep cuts with no stage production and get back to doing aggressive NIN shows instead of the phoned in clock punching greatest hits tour of 2013/2014.....I remember Bill getting chastised and lectured for those statements.....Well Billy boy sits and grins after seeing that everything Trent has done from 2016-2018 is the exact same fucking thing Billy had been clamoring for all along.....Trent should heed my advice more often. Just remember, while you guys in 2013 and 2014 were clamoring for gospel singers and 80 year old Palladino sitting in the corner onstage and begging for pop songs like "Everything" to be played with Robs fancy light show and a nice cuddly safe NIN live show experience, Billy boy sat alone in the corner (with prettybrokenspiral) dreaming of the old NIN. The ripped black shirt wearing Trent onstage playing "Happiness In Slavery" and "Perfect Drug" and tearing shit up like the old days.....Only to see it come to life in 2018....and those same people who ripped Billy boy a new asshole in 2013 for wanting an aggressive back to basics approach for NIN are the same ones on their knees sucking Trent off in 2018 claiming it to be the best tour ever...

richardp
01-01-2019, 11:08 PM

Yeah I was SHOCKED when I opened up the files to see the whole album was only 60mb. I'm hoping for replacement 320kbps replacements at some point tomorrow.

fillow
01-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Physical product will always be better than digital only.....Digital are throwaway as far as I am concerned. I prefer the physical release (as do many other people)..

hipsters

Sequenteon
01-02-2019, 02:01 AM
Wow, Bill, earlier in the thread it was not a big enough rollout for you. Not enough material, and a "step down" from their earlier work. Now they're doing a big fuck-off box set, and it's not gonna be in the right format for you (even though you don't know what format the physical release is yet). Must be kinda exhausting pointing out how everything NIN has done since 1997 is totally wrong!

Lets be honest. Everything post Purest Feeling has been phoned in.

I thought I would enjoy this score. The idea of it was a bit soured by the lackluster movie but I'm very pleasantly surprised by how strong the music is on its own.

Wretchedest
01-02-2019, 02:44 AM
- this movie was horrible, it's like the Happening but lacks even the camp value of that movie

- the score is exactly the same thing we've come to expect of Trent and Atticus

-the pay wall to extra music via obsolete medium and some expensive special edition makes it worse

Tyson
01-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Has anybody that ordered from the UK site gotten their download link yet? I ordered five hours ago, and, still, nothing.

ChipRock
01-02-2019, 05:42 AM
and, still, nothing.
Yeah I'm in the same boat here.
Still early hours in west USA so maybe we're waiting for someone to wake up and press a button there?

Edit:
And there we go, just had an email now confirming the download is ready. Happy listening all.

Substance242
01-02-2019, 06:26 AM

Got store-uk download and I can confirm FLACs are 24 bits at 48000 Hz, so as an added value at least screen from the first track (just bonus, I'm not pointing at anything):

http://jyxo.info/uploads/tn/B9/b907169701411311e551a84ff45dd6800f1b2f3e.png (http://jyxo.info/uploads/B9/b907169701411311e551a84ff45dd6800f1b2f3e.png)

simonn
01-02-2019, 07:03 AM
Has anybody that ordered from the UK site gotten their download link yet? I ordered five hours ago, and, still, nothing.

Yep my 128 MP3's have come through, email just after mid-day.

botley
01-02-2019, 07:07 AM
Billy boy sits and grins after seeing that everything Trent has done from 2016-2018 is the exact same fucking thing Billy had been clamoring for all along.....
And still, somehow, finding endless things to moan about! Incredible!!

sonic_discord
01-02-2019, 09:57 AM
I always go for the FLAC and use Adobe Audition to convert to 320kbps mp3. I know that option (Adobe Audition or a similar program) isn't available to everyone, but there are several free methods of converting FLAC to mp3 out there (I've used several of them in the past). And I don't understand the hate this movie seems to be getting. I honestly think I enjoyed it more than A Quiet Place and everyone seemed to love that movie. They're obviously extremely similar, so maybe that's part of the reason (that it wasn't the first one).

eversonpoe
01-02-2019, 11:50 AM

oh fuck me. i usually just go for the MP3s from the NIN website since they always do high quality but that really chaps my chops. they better give us at least 192kbps replacement files /grump

would anyone be willing to send me their WAV or FLAC files (or preferably pre-converted to 320 MP3 files)? i can show you my nin store receipt.

botley
01-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Most popular Netflix debut ever (https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/30/18161741/bird-box-netflix-45-million-accounts-statistics-views), apparently.

simonn
01-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Undercurrents is BADASS - that was the song I compared to Tetsuo/35 Ghost IV the other day.

paul_guyet
01-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Think this might be my favorite score since TGWTDT...

ROFLRICK
01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Yeah I was SHOCKED when I opened up the files to see the whole album was only 60mb. I'm hoping for replacement 320kbps replacements at some point tomorrow.

I've nothing to add here, other than the fact I am also Richard P.

Toadflax
01-02-2019, 03:08 PM
I've nothing to add here, other than the fact I am also Richard P.

Piggies!

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/richardpatrickfiltersolo2013new_638.jpg

Toadflax
01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
So, I'm not going to buy this version if it's coming out on streaming soon and then will be a nice sexy bigger release later in the year. If anyone has a link floating around, my inbox is always open...

ManBurning
01-02-2019, 03:44 PM
So, up until I saw Trent's New Year's post about this film yesterday, I had no idea what a "Bird Box" was. I must have been living under a rock, but I don't have Netflix or tend to follow what is "big" and "popular" these days. Still, since TR and AR were involved, I should have known somewhat - But I tend to put their soundtrack work in the back of my mind. Anyway...

Seems like the reviews of the actual movie were pretty mixed. I watched it last night, and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this film. I mean, it's not going to be going on any "best of" lists for me, but It was enjoyable. The score was really good. It did a fantastic job building suspension and tension. My girlfriend even said the score saved the movie for her, if it was a different score the movie probably wouldn't have been as good. I thought the story was pretty good too, but she said it was just average, seemed too much like that movie "A quiet palace" but instead of not making a sound, you can't see. I never saw AQP, So I can't make that comparison. But I enjoyed it. Maybe the soundtrack helped a bit, it was really well done.

Normally I don't listen to TR/AR music outside of watching the film, but I might give this one a spin on it's own. There were a few standout tracks that seems like they would work on their own without accompanying visuals.

richardp
01-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Still no word on the 128 bit rate for the MP3s?

ROFLRICK
01-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Still no word on the 128 bit rate for the MP3s?

I contacted customer service to see if an updated version is forthcoming; I have yet to hear back.

BRoswell
01-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Listening to the score, it feels like a mix of Gone Girl and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which is a very intoxicating mix for me since those are my two favorite Trent & Atticus scores.

As for the film itself, I watched the first half hour last week and turned it off. I don't give up on films very often, but I just wasn't digging the back and forth editing between the past and present and the excessive amount of characters. I may try to give it another shot at some point, but unfortunately I wasn't really digging it.

Erneuert
01-02-2019, 08:41 PM
As soon as I saw the track names I thought of The Wretched and Wish for “And It Keeps Coming” and “Last Thing Left”.

Erneuert
01-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Speaking of, should it be “And It Keeps Coming” or “And It Keeps On Coming”?

The latter seems to be the file name for the mp3, but it’s listed as the former on NIN.com.

Tyson
01-02-2019, 10:53 PM
And there we go, just had an email now confirming the download is ready. Happy listening all.

Yeah. Got mine about an hour after I posted about it.

Speaking of, should it be “And It Keeps Coming” or “And It Keeps On Coming”?

The latter seems to be the file name for the mp3, but it’s listed as the former on NIN.com.

WAVs are "And It Keeps On Coming".

ManBurning
01-03-2019, 01:46 AM
As for the film itself, I watched the first half hour last week and turned it off. I don't give up on films very often, but I just wasn't digging the back and forth editing between the past and present and the excessive amount of characters. I may try to give it another shot at some point, but unfortunately I wasn't really digging it.

Not a fan of Tarantino movies, I presume?

bobbie solo
01-03-2019, 02:31 AM
So, I'm not going to buy this version if it's coming out on streaming soon and then will be a nice sexy bigger release later in the year. If anyone has a link floating around, my inbox is always open...

same here!!! Will gladly take a link.

Wretchedest
01-03-2019, 02:58 AM

Tarantino movies do it at least to some effect or to serve a narrative

In this one I think they did it at least in part because it would have been even more boring tot ell the story chronologically. The river sequences are at least sort of visually compelling, and at least in my case it was a decent hook as I waited to see what would happen, in the end that made up about 15 minutes total of the movie, and the majority of the film was a bunch of cliche shit confined to a single location. It's possible this was originally meant to be told chronologically, and was reedited for pacing, especially given that the flashback beats are pretty random

botley
01-03-2019, 05:33 AM
No, the book is non-chronological as well.

ChipRock
01-03-2019, 06:03 AM
I'm not sure whether or not to get annoyed by the 128 files. Not being an audiophile I'm not too interested in the technicalities but I like to have the best possible quality on MP3 for my music. If I had realised I would have bought the FLAC version and converted the files myself. If there really isn't any difference in this case then y'know, whatever... Bloody good record though eh? Certainly my favourite score since Gone Girl I think, and I look forward to hearing more from the future release (CD would be nice!).

simonn
01-03-2019, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure whether or not to get annoyed by the 128 files. Not being an audiophile I'm not too interested in the technicalities but I like to have the best possible quality on MP3 for my music. If I had realised I would have bought the FLAC version and converted the files myself. If there really isn't any difference in this case then y'know, whatever... Bloody good record though eh? Certainly my favourite score since Gone Girl I think, and I look forward to hearing more from the future release (CD would be nice!).

I've heard the 128's and the 320's converted from FLAC. I couldn't actually spot that much difference surprisingly!

snaapz
01-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Watched the movie. Overall I thought it was a good movie!

One thing I like about AR/TR is that they keep the tone and feeling ominous (Impression that something bad or unpleasant is going to happen);

There's one scene where spirits were up, there was accomplishment, fortune, and smiles... it seemed like a happy moment... but TR and AR kept it ominous; where as other producers may have done the obvious and layer on some upbeat/happy score to match the smiles on the faces. When they are at the supermarket and everyone is happy loading up their carts, drinking alcohol, and getting gear etc

Also (especially as a parent) I almost fucking lost it (teared up) at one scene. When in the boat the girl says "ill do it" and gives that adorable pouty lip

Kudos AR/TR.

Hey, can we just start referring to them as ART? 'Atticus Ross & Trent'

Toadflax
01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Hey, can we just start referring to them as ART? 'Atticus Ross & Trent'

T&A or bust.

ROFLRICK
01-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Truthfully, there is no discernible difference, especially if you're over 30. I griped about the bit rate because it is less than any other service out there. I'm just being picky, and warned others that may be picky.

In any event, I'll be scooping the self-indulgent physical version right up, so these MP3 files will tide me over.

Reznor2112
01-03-2019, 10:11 AM
I want the "expanded (potential vinyl) version" more than the next guy...but...

Bird Box (Abridged) - Digital & Streaming AKA - Tension 2013 (Abridged) - Youtube VERSION

Bird Box (EXPANSIVE PHYSICAL-ONLY OFFERING) AKA Tension 2013 (EXPANDEd blu-ray)

I have a bad feeling this not going to happen.

botley
01-03-2019, 11:27 AM
I have a bad feeling this not going to happen.
The score has already been heard by more than 45 million people in context of the movie, if Netflix's figures are to be believed. Memes based on the movie are incredibly popular around social media. The producers are likely doing an awards season push, on the basis of all that buzz. Bird Box is having A Moment. If this isn't the opportunity to offer a deluxe physical box set, I'd say there's unlikely to ever be anything from NIN on a deluxe physical box set ever again.

simonn
01-03-2019, 11:39 AM
The score has already been heard by more than 45 million people in context of the movie, if Netflix's figures are to be believed. Memes based on the movie are incredibly popular around social media. The producers are likely doing an awards season push, on the basis of all that buzz. Bird Box is having A Moment. If this isn't the opportunity to offer a deluxe physical box set, I'd say there's unlikely to ever be anything from NIN on a deluxe physical box set ever again.

Can't see this getting Oscar/Golden Globe recognition tbh. The film, I mean. Maybe in technical areas, but not the main ones, best film/actor/actress/director etc...

Back on the soundtrack, at 4.10 on And It Keeps (on) Coming, is that the first time they've used (presumably) Trent's snoring on a song... :p

Nicely varied work here, possibly the most sinister sounding of all the soundtracks to date. And that's saying something.

Close Encounters, growing love for that track....

Toadflax
01-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Can't see this getting Oscar/Golden Globe recognition tbh. The film, I mean. Maybe in technical areas, but not the main ones, best film/actor/actress/director etc...

Golden Globe nominations already happened. Netflix gave Bird Box a limited theatrical run so it could be in the running, but they're piling all their award season energy on Roma, anyway, so I doubt they're pushing much for Bird Box.

simonn
01-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Golden Globe nominations already happened. Netflix gave Bird Box a limited theatrical run so it could be in the running, but they're piling all their award season energy on Roma, anyway, so I doubt they're pushing much for Bird Box.

What do I know, I'm a Brit!! ;)

botley
01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Even if it isn't awarded anything, being nominated at least for one Academy Award will continue to extend the movie's profile, what with famous actors involved walking the red carpet etc. etc. Keep in mind, there are a bunch of people who don't pay attention to social media or Netflix, so as long as they get into a couple of those big mainstream awards events, even without cleaning up, it will be a big deal.

The movie has already been so successful, but this could also help with continuing to bring it to more international markets and more theatres on the basis of nominations/additional recognition. My point is that, regardless of how you like the movie or the score, this is an enormous opportunity for TR & AR's work to get in front of more people, and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan. If it doesn't happen, I don't foresee another opportunity like this for their work (either as NIN, or under their own names) to do the same.

Toadflax
01-03-2019, 12:17 PM
My point is that, regardless of how you like the movie or the score, this is an enormous opportunity for TR & AR's work to get in front of more people, and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan.

Hang on, we don't want them to get too in demand as composers. We want score work to be what they do on their off-time from NIN - not the other way around! :)

armogi
01-03-2019, 01:27 PM
no CD :(
super deluxe bs box to get the full score :(
i don't know...

botley
01-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Again, we don't know yet that there won't be a CD, so chill. People freaked out when there was initially no CD version announced for the last three NIN records, and then there were CDs of all three easily available soon after.

And this so-called Abridged version is already more than the 'full score' as it is in the movie, unless there's something in it I missed. They just went overboard again (like with Dragon Tattoo) composing far more than was eventually used by the filmmakers.

Howtostealajetfighter
01-03-2019, 02:13 PM
still no download link received :-( and i ordered the flac imatly after the page released the info

Reznor2112
01-03-2019, 03:01 PM
and a deluxe score box set would fit right into that plan. If it doesn't happen, I don't foresee another opportunity like this for their work (either as NIN, or under their own names) to do the same.

Don't agree with this. Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure. Ghosts was not the biggest NIN hit...probably far from it...yet we had 2-3 different box sets for that album so I don't necessarily agree with the argument that THIS is the time to release a box set or the alternative argument that there will never be another opportunity for a NIN related box if this isn't it...This is just silly.

And no one will be talking about the film in 4-5 months honestly. That is not our society today.

The score has already been heard by more than 45 million people in context of the movie

And out of those 45 million...how many listen to film scores, purchase film scores, or purchase deluxe film scores and probably double dipping on a score 5 months after the release of a film. Most are here on this board. Netflix wont be releasing the boxset. TR and Co. will so this wont be a huge release for Netflix to make a profit on.

So, given the past with Patriots Day vinyl in limbo and the Tension Blu-ray which was teased as a "upcoming expanded release in the Spring" never happened, I am just not holding out on this.

buckaroo
01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
So, given the past with Patriots Day vinyl in limbo and the Tension Blu-ray which was teased as a "upcoming expanded release in the Spring" never happened, I am just not holding out on this.

Don't forget that physical release of the Gone Girl Outtakes...

ltrandazzo
01-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Don't agree with this. Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure.

*drift*

TGWTDT was not a theatrical failure. Media projected it higher and MGM wished it made 10% more, but calling it a theatrical failure is incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo_(2011_film)#Box_of fice

Critics gave the film favorable reviews, praising its bleak tone and lauding Craig and Mara's performances. With a production budget of $90 million the film grossed $232.6 million worldwide. The film was chosen by National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2011 and was a candidate for numerous awards, winning, among others, the Academy Award for Best Film Editing, while Mara's performance earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.

Fincher's film grossed $232.6 million during its theatrical run. The film's American release grossed $1.6 million from its Tuesday night screenings, a figure that increased to $3.5 million by the end of its first day of general release. It maintained momentum into its opening weekend, accumulating $13 million for a total of $21 million in domestic revenue. The film's debut figures fell below media expectations. Aided by positive word of mouth, its commercial performance remained steady into the second week, posting $19 million from 2,914 theaters. The third week saw box office drop 24% to $11.3 million, totaling $76.8 million. The number of theaters slightly increased to 2,950. By the fifth week, the number of theaters shrank to 1,907, and grosses to $3.7 million, though it remained within the national top ten. The film completed its North American theatrical run on March 22, 2012, earning over $102.5 million.

*end drift*

botley
01-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Dragon Tattoo got a huge boxset and was a theatrical failure. Ghosts was not the biggest NIN hit...probably far from it...yet we had 2-3 different box sets for that album so I don't necessarily agree with the argument that THIS is the time to release a box set or the alternative argument that there will never be another opportunity for a NIN related box if this isn't it...This is just silly.
The big Dragon Tattoo set was possible because they were partnered with Columbia/Sony (who also released the film): a big, multinational corporation, with the massive budgets required for art design and production on a box set. They're an independent entity now, and it's much harder to justify those big budgets. After partnering with Capitol Records for the 3-record NIN deal, I believe they are once again free agents... TR & AR will likely continue doing short-term distribution deals for their scores. We'll see what happens with this one, but given the amount of exposure the film has right now I'd say there are probably lots of companies lining up to cash in on the Bird Box phenomenon and that means they can pick and choose who to partner with. This thing is just about at the current-day limit of cultural saturation, as you rightly point out, so now is the time to release something big-ticket while the iron is hot.

It was a different era (hard to believe it was almost 11 years ago...) but Ghosts I-IV really came at the crest of a wave for the new possibilities promised by open-source interactivity. They had just finished tapping into that very powerfully with the Year Zero online experience. It was probably the last Big Moment for NIN as a worldwide phenomenon. Again, a perfect time for a boxed set and the $300 version sold out very quickly, as I recall, even without a big-name distributor handling it.

And out of those 45 million...how many listen to film scores, purchase film scores, or purchase deluxe film scores and probably double dipping on a score 5 months after the release of a film. Most are here on this board. Netflix wont be releasing the boxset. TR and Co. will so this wont be a huge release for Netflix to make a profit on.
Again, we'll see; this is likely the purview of ongoing contract negotiations, so we don't know if that's the case or not. Maybe they're trying to gauge excitement before going ahead, but it sounds like TR has learned his lesson about announcing things before they're actually happening (though NIN parted ways with their old manager right before Tension on Blu-ray would have gone into production, which probably had something to do with its cancellation). Netflix gave them a bunch of money to produce the music, and it seems like now they can do whatever they please with it... which is kind of the best possible outcome to be in, as an artist.

BRoswell
01-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Actually, I'm a fan of him and of non-linear storytelling in general. However, most of the films I enjoy that utilize non-linear storytelling have a better grasp on their structure than Bird Box seemed to have. It was almost disorienting how much it jumped around.

paul_guyet
01-03-2019, 06:22 PM
I reviewed the score!! (https://soundblab.com/reviews/albums/21322-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-bird-box-abridged)

eversonpoe
01-03-2019, 10:58 PM
i don't understand the people i've seen complaining that the score is too "in the background" or not prominent enough. maybe it's mixed differently in stereo or people are listening on shitty laptop speakers or something (not being condescending, i promise), but in 5.1 i felt like it was nearly wall to wall with score.

i thoroughly enjoyed the movie (not sure why people are complaining so much about the ending, i thought it was fantastic) and loved the score. there was some repeating motif in some of the more dissonant music that sounded like the main synth line from Black Antlers by COIL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzIF2uYKjeY

Reznor2112
01-04-2019, 08:59 AM
*drift*

TGWTDT was not a theatrical failure. Media projected it higher and MGM wished it made 10% more, but calling it a theatrical failure is incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo_(2011_film)#Box_of fice

*end drift*

Fair. Well played sir. I retract my statement "failure". I should've said, TGWTDT was not as publicly recognized or...social media present with memes etc...as Bird Box.

StockAvuryah
01-04-2019, 09:56 AM
i don't understand the people i've seen complaining that the score is too "in the background" or not prominent enough. maybe it's mixed differently in stereo or people are listening on shitty laptop speakers or something (not being condescending, i promise), but in 5.1 i felt like it was nearly wall to wall with score.

Most are indeed watching it that way, worry about it. One of the reasons a netflix release is kind of shitty. For example, I dread having to watch Roma on a computer screen instead of the big screen. But hey, at least the movies are made.

jmtd
01-04-2019, 01:38 PM
My store account has been deleted yet again. It'd have been nice to have all my purchases in one place, but it's more like one account per purchase. Crazy

Toadflax
01-04-2019, 05:50 PM
I dread having to watch Roma on a computer screen instead of the big screen. But hey, at least the movies are made.

You don't have any kind of home theater setup? Netflix is synonymous with all viewing platforms these days, not just computers.

StockAvuryah
01-04-2019, 06:33 PM
You don't have any kind of home theater setup? Netflix is synonymous with all viewing platforms these days, not just computers.

Nope, no money for that :p

Surprisingly still cheaper to have a subscription to a certain big theatre chain than buying elements for a decent setup of this kind. And the difference in quality is.. large.

witte
01-05-2019, 05:39 AM
The movie isn't decisive to me as I said somewhere else...
The soundtrack: everything Trent touches is special, but the sound becomes more and more in a repeat-modus. Nothing new at the horizon...

Demogorgon
01-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Did the mp3 version get fixed yet, or is it still downloading at 128kbps? I can convert the hi-res myself if i need to, but i was kinda hoping to avoid it.

StockAvuryah
01-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Well that was a tense synth-fest. Can't wait for the extended version.

bobbie solo
01-07-2019, 02:02 AM
drip drip drip...at least on the private tracker I use.

StockAvuryah
01-07-2019, 08:16 AM
drip drip drip...at least on the private tracker I use.

mp3s on a public one btw. had somewhat the decency to not put the FLACs I suppose.

bobbie solo
01-07-2019, 01:41 PM
mp3s on a public one btw. had somewhat the decency to not put the FLACs I suppose.

i saw the FLAC's

ROFLRICK
01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Did the mp3 version get fixed yet, or is it still downloading at 128kbps? I can convert the hi-res myself if i need to, but i was kinda hoping to avoid it.

I've just heard back from NIN customer service. They said simply:

Thank you for emailing in! We do have WAV and FLAC formats if you would like any of these downloads.

We look forward to your response!

I asked for WAV files.

sonic_discord
01-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Bird Box is up on streaming services now and I think it's safe to say at this point that "And it Keeps on Coming" is the correct title (not "And it Keeps Coming").

Demogorgon
01-07-2019, 05:26 PM
I've just heard back from NIN customer service. They said simply:

Thank you for emailing in! We do have WAV and FLAC formats if you would like any of these downloads.

We look forward to your response!

I asked for WAV files.

So basically if you wanted mp3s, they gave you shitty ones on purpose, sounds like. Oh well. I mean, it's only a minor hassle to convert the wavs myself, so i can't really complain, just hoped to eliminate a step or two. Anyway, thanks for the response.

butter_hole
01-07-2019, 06:38 PM
I "like" this but Trent's piano playing is starting to sound a little old and familiar. the beginning of Sleep Deprivation especially... isn't that something from Still?

It must be a muscle memory for him to play like this. I wish he and Atticus would make a score using just horns or something. Get outta ya comfort zone fellas.

eversonpoe
01-07-2019, 10:43 PM
I "like" this but Trent's piano playing is starting to sound a little old and familiar. the beginning of Sleep Deprivation especially... isn't that something from Still?

It must be a muscle memory for him to play like this. I wish he and Atticus would make a score using just horns or something. Get outta ya comfort zone fellas.

may i direct you to the best thing reznovka has ever contributed to the board?

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49575752_2296930067044016_6276000981092139008_o.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeEXUdf0SOwyRf_q3eUhGdr5EwIwGaWXdzONfr0f0 uiYNtCCi7-sOz1HfxlKf9akEg5dbF2Cj-Ihnr-mesASYkcclyzWJvHL0Szyoq7iWjeqDg&_nc_ht=scontent-ams3-1.xx&oh=1f746f2e6c76e2d4994ab7bee312c697&oe=5CC1E1A1

Horican
01-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Careful What You Wish For is terrifying. I kinda wonder how the reaction to this album would have been different if it weren’t the score to a Netflix sensation by TRAR, but some sort of anonymous mysterious Dark Ambient/Noise album released on Sacred Bones or Tri Angle or anything more obscure. Because the music is often just as unnerving and out there as some of those stuff but the context makes a lot of difference

snaapz
01-08-2019, 08:02 AM
I haven't even finished listening to 'Outside' and I kind of want to stop. I feel like something bad is going to happen to me; maybe the world.

Starting at the 7:00 mark of 'Outside' it makes me feel like the ground cracked open and the devil himself reached his fucking arm through just to drag me in.

I can't help but wonder if this story 'Birdbox' is a good match for Nine Inch Nails. The idea of someone, or everyone for that matter, trying to keep an unwanted force out of their mind. They can run, patch up holes on the walls, keep their eyes closed, try to face it, build a wall... but the demon (seed) is strong.

I'm not good at writing out my thoughts, I hope that makes sense.

ROFLRICK
01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
So basically if you wanted mp3s, they gave you shitty ones on purpose, sounds like. Oh well. I mean, it's only a minor hassle to convert the wavs myself, so i can't really complain, just hoped to eliminate a step or two. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Of course! Yeah, it seems as if 128kbps is the standard release for the MP3 version, which, frankly, is fine. I'm pleased with their response, but I have no idea how to easily convert the hi-res WAV using a PC. Normally, I would use XLD on a Mac, but my Mac is long dead. Do you have any suggestions?

PhoenixML
01-08-2019, 10:13 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet. I've enjoyed listening to this soundtrack. It felt like it told a story on its own.

Since I'm not a soundtrack enthusiast, I haven't had much interest in previous works as much as I would have loved to since TGWTDT. I do love certain pieces like Empty Places, Before the Flood, Less Likely and Them and Us. But overall I can't remember much.

How would you say this one fares compared to the others?

Demogorgon
01-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Of course! Yeah, it seems as if 128kbps is the standard release for the MP3 version, which, frankly, is fine. I'm pleased with their response, but I have no idea how to easily convert the hi-res WAV using a PC. Normally, I would use XLD on a Mac, but my Mac is long dead. Do you have any suggestions?

I was using Freemake til they went with a subscription model, so, nowadays i use a cracked version of EZ CD Audio Converter. It does the job and has plenty of filetypes built in for whatever i need to convert to/from.

neorev
01-08-2019, 01:43 PM
You're looking to convert the hi-res files to another format on PC? Get Foobar 2000, it's free and you can easily convert any file to whatever you want. It's what I use.

Avarik
01-08-2019, 03:18 PM

dBpoweramp (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/)

jmtd
01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Not sure whether this has been spelled out yet: I'm assuming the mp3s are 16 bit (128k for 24 bit would be pretty unusual) but (at least) the FLACs are 24 bit. Downsampling is a lossy process (and the quality of the down sampler matters) so I didn't bother and have instead generated 24 bit mp3s. I believe the down sampler in dbpoweramp is well regarded.

jhulud
01-08-2019, 06:44 PM
I just want the super duper deluxe 'I spent way too much money but no regrets' set to come out already!

bobbie solo
01-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Don't completely agree with them, but entertaining and good food for thought as always. No mention of the score unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUAu0aP4DA

neorev
01-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Don't completely agree with them, but entertaining and good food for thought as always. No mention of the score unfortunately.

I completely agree with this review. A lot of things they pointed out were on my girl and I's minds when watching this. The movie was okay, a solid 5, maybe 6 out of 10. That's about it. But yeah, it's a bit of a mess.

NIN64
01-10-2019, 08:42 AM

“HALF IN THE BAG. Fuck movies...” Love these guys.

botley
01-10-2019, 04:01 PM
I... don't.

Moving along, the abridged score is now on Tidal! Yay!

Haysey_Draws
01-14-2019, 08:33 AM
Been digesting this for the last few weeks in Spotify (will get it on payday, i MASSIVELY overspent over the holidays and got stung by some pretty heavy impost tax's on my new bag and some models) and i really dig this...like REALLY dig this...to the point it's started motivating me to draw again, Tracks like Undercurrent, And It Keeps On Coming, Close Encounters and Last Thing Left are really getting my imagination running! Damn good stuff!

On another note i'd love if there is some more extended version of Close Encounters with just that beautiful first half!

snaapz
01-14-2019, 09:47 AM
I too have been digesting this for a while now.

I'm always eager to see what TR/AR will come up with next. This soundtrack has made its mark and has a theme of it's own.

I code all day, so I spend 5-6 hrs a day listening to spotify and a lot of that time is spent listening to scores/soundtracks from many various artists.

TR/AR have a sound of their own, a fear of mine was that they would get stuck with a re-occuring sound; piano with some synth and garden; like I mean mid90s was pretty damn simple.

Bird Box is unique from their previous releases, I hear many new sounds and styles that I have not heard before.

I'm a huge fucking fan of Outside. The piano kind of carries and pushes you through the song, starting off on its own it slowly takes us deeper into hell.

Great job!

P.S. Stranger Things has a great team already, but I'd love to see TR/AR get in on some of the background scores.

eversonpoe
01-15-2019, 11:29 PM
i have been listening to this score a lot and i like it more each time. i love long pieces of music and there's so much movement within all the long songs, it makes me happy. also there's a ton of e-bow guitar and gosh does it make me feel cool hearing TR&AR use it, knowing how much of it i've used in my music over the years.

01-16-2019, 02:03 AM
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-bird-box-abridged-original-score/

Pitchfork digs it

wizfan
01-17-2019, 07:57 AM
https://www.asoundeffect.com/bird-box-sound/

Interview with the film's sound designers which contains a reference to the TR&AR score. Warning: contains spoilers.

Alexandros
01-20-2019, 10:01 AM
The ambience of "Undercurrents" is quite powerful! It greatly enhanced the scene it was in; that feeling of dread, desperation and chaos that was in the air.

ltrandazzo
02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Careful What You Wish For is terrifying.

I first listened to the soundtrack at home when the online release came out. This stuck out to me and latched onto my eardrums and brain. I flew out to Philly a few weeks ago and read two books on the planes - The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi and Vicious by VE Schwab. I remember the exact moments in each book I heard this song played against. In Philly, I finally went to the Mutter Museum and kept humming certain cues from this song because I kept hearing it in my head since it matched the scenery. Finally, I watched Bird Box with my girlfriend yesterday instead of the Super Bowl and got to experience the moments in the film this song plays against.

When I went to bed, I kept hearing the ambient noise in the background as my dog snored and the fan blew.

I didn't close my eyes for 20 minutes.

bobbie solo
02-11-2019, 02:26 AM
Thought this three dimensional billboard in Times Square was pretty badass. The three figures, the birds, the rocks and the title letters for BIRD BOX are all separate and built out from the sign itself. Saw it a few weeks ago...dunno if it's still up.

https://i.ibb.co/938QjhX/IMG-7714.jpg

roolfdriht
02-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Thought this three dimensional billboard in Times Square was pretty badass. The three figures, the birds, the rocks and the title letters for BIRD BOX are all separate and built out from the sign itself. Saw it a few weeks ago...dunno if it's still up.

Yep, literally just walked by it. Pretty sure there were some actual birds perched among the fakes too!

If anyone is curious, it’s at 49th and Broadway while it lasts...

henryeatscereal
02-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Soundtrack is great as usual...

The Movie is "Meh", not bad, but nothing great either. It's full of cliches and doesn't really bring anything new to the table, didn't hate it, but i didn't found it special either.

botley
02-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Finally: some exciting news (https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/02/netflixs-bird-box-sequel-promises-more-birds-bigger-box/)!

otnavuskire
02-14-2019, 06:40 PM
Finally: some exciting news (https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/02/netflixs-bird-box-sequel-promises-more-birds-bigger-box/)!

You know that's satire, right?

botley
02-15-2019, 09:49 AM
I'm familiar with The Beaverton, which is why I posted it, thanks for spoiling the fun for other people though.

Toadflax
02-15-2019, 12:21 PM

The joke.

Your head.

:p

Reznor2112
02-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Just to confirm...we are ALL in agreement that Undercurrents should be the intro/staging music on the next NIN tour right?

And I mean the whole thing...not a truncated version. Drop the house lights and BOOM...all 4 mins of that sumbitch in the dark...(insert your favorite NIN live opener).

botley
02-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Hrmm, I didn't realize Netflix had a record label (https://www.discogs.com/label/1127822-Netflix).

zecho
02-28-2019, 11:55 AM
Hrmm, I didn't realize Netflix had a record label (https://www.discogs.com/label/1127822-Netflix).

Do they? It looks like all of their releases share a catalog number between them and an actual label.

BRoswell
03-21-2019, 11:03 AM
OMG! We're one day into spring and we still don't have the expanded edition! Trent & Atticus lied to us!

Sorry. :p

snaapz
03-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Not sure if I said this yet, I listen to a lot of of scores from a lot of artists, including TR/AR.

I've been listening to Bird Box OST for a couple months now, and I have listened dozens of times with quality headphones.

Bird Box is spectacular and I can't get enough. I love the slow progression, I can feel what is happening and it is very emotional and descriptive. I think every single measure is unique from one another, it's fascinating.

Reznor2112
04-30-2019, 04:48 PM
FOR THOSE INTERESTED, WE WILL BE RELEASING A MORE EXPANSIVE (READ: MORE SELF-INDULGENT) PHYSICAL-ONLY OFFERING THIS SPRING THAT WILL CONTAIN AN ADDITIONAL HOUR OF MUSIC AND ARTWORK THAT COLORS FURTHER OUTSIDE THE LINES… ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!LOTS COMING IN 2019,

https://media.giphy.com/media/5wWf7H0qoWaNnkZBucU/giphy.gif

sonic_discord
04-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Summer doesn't officially start until June 20, so they technically still have 7 weeks. But come on, we all know to take these things with a grain of salt, right?

fillow
05-01-2019, 11:47 AM
American seasons are weird. Here where I live, Spring is officially from March 1 till May 31.

sonic_discord
05-01-2019, 12:10 PM
American seasons are weird. Here where I live, Spring is officially from March 1 till May 31.

Here in MN, we're still having blizzards and getting a foot of snow in one day in March and April. So yes, they are weird.

otnavuskire
05-01-2019, 12:12 PM

The seasons have nothing to do with America. It's entirely based on the equinox and solstice, which has to do with the angle of the equator compared to the sun. If anyone's doing seasons weird, it's your country!

Leprekon666
06-05-2019, 10:28 AM
So summer starts in 16 days and still no info. :confused:

Toadflax
06-06-2019, 03:22 PM
So summer starts in 16 days and still no info. :confused:

Living in the same city as Trent, I can tell you Spring hasn't even started here yet. :p

Also, as mentioned above, anyone who takes NIN's date projections literally either hasn't been around very long or isn't paying attention. Remember that the Tension footage on NIN's official YouTube channel STILL reads: Nine Inch Nails: Tension, an expanded Blu-ray/DVD/digital release, is coming in Spring 2014 with tons of extra content, 5.1 surround sound, and more.

sheepdean
06-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Living in the same city as Trent, I can tell you Spring hasn't even started here yet. :p

Also, as mentioned above, anyone who takes NIN's date projections literally either hasn't been around very long or isn't paying attention. Remember that the Tension footage on NIN's official YouTube channel STILL reads: Nine Inch Nails: Tension, an expanded Blu-ray/DVD/digital release, is coming in Spring 2014 with tons of extra content, 5.1 surround sound, and more.
I'm still waiting on "the next Peter Murphy album will be a collaboration between Reznor and Murphy"

BRoswell
06-06-2019, 08:54 PM
I'm still waiting on that Zack de la Rocha album that was, apparently, nearly finished before someone pulled the plug.

Prettybrokenspiral
06-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Also, as mentioned above, anyone who takes NIN's date projections literally either hasn't been around very long or isn't paying attention.

It's not a "projection" though. The main site page has a specific message from Trent that reads:

We created a significant amount of music and conceptual sound for Bird Box, a lot of which never made it to your ears in the final version of the film. We’ve decided to present you with this version of the soundtrack record that represents what Bird Box is to us. We hope you enjoy.

For those interested, we will be releasing a more expansive (read: more self-indulgent) physical-only offering this spring that will contain an additional hour of music and artwork that colors further outside the lines… enter at your own risk!

Lots coming in 2019..

That was on January 2nd, I think? Spring is over in eight days and not so much as a peep has been made concerning Bird Box Deluxe or "lots coming" since. There's a nice goofy Hannah Montana shirt for sale though..

It's whatever. If he'd just said "Bird Box Deluxe coming soon", we'd at least know that meant 2.5 years or longer like the WT/YZ/Quake/PD vinyls..

He can read this and tell me to suck his entire dick or whatever, too, I don't care. As usual, my money is waiting to be spent on the man's art whenever he decides to keep true to his word and release something worth buying. Love you, Trent! Never change.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haysey_Draws
06-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Soon :rolleyes:

Toadflax
06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
It's not a "projection" though. The main site page has a specific message from Trent that reads:

Right. And as I pointed out, their YouTube STILL says Tension is coming out in Spring 2014.

We were supposed to get “two major works” in 2017, and we got a five song EP (and Deviations). Bad Witch, which was supposed to release 6-8 months after Add Violence, was released a year later

And as you pointed out, the vinyls have said “coming soon” for years. Granted, that’s not a specific window of time, but it still set up an expectation which wasn’t met.

I’m not saying I love the discrepancy between stated release windows and actual releases, but I’ve been around long enough to know how it works. Literally counting down the remaining days of Spring because a six month old update on their site said “this Spring” is pointless.

In other words, how does it benefit anyone to sit and cross days off of their calendar expecting an announcement before the end of Spring rather than just hanging out and knowing it’ll come when it comes (if it comes)?

snichols
06-12-2019, 09:15 AM
I may be wrong but I would assume the reasons for for the delay of the vinyl reissues, along with other things including scores, are mostly the cause of dealings with record labels and film studios. I'm sure that none of us wants these to be released more than Trent, and I can imagine his patience has been worn as thin as ours. Trent and Atticus are artistic people who are driven to move forward so I can understand why some things will take a back seat to their current creative momentum.

Prettybrokenspiral
06-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Right. And as I pointed out, their YouTube STILL says Tension is coming out in Spring 2014.

lol, and now we know why people are still holding out hope for that one..

We were supposed to get “two major works” in 2017, and we got a five song EP (and Deviations). Bad Witch, which was supposed to release 6-8 months after Add Violence, was released a year later

See, I thought 2017 was a boon when it came to NIN. Granted, I'm factoring in the Patriot's Day and Vietnam War film scores, in addition to AV and Deviations. Mind you, this was coming off a hot end to 2016 that saw the BTF score and NTAE. I'm not sure he ever specified what the "two major works" were supposed to entail, but the Sandbag Summer Shenanigans fiasco more than made up for the wait between releases, I felt..

And as you pointed out, the vinyls have said “coming soon” for years. Granted, that’s not a specific window of time, but it still set up an expectation which wasn’t met.

Brother, you can add that second round of vinyl reissues to the Great Tapeworm and Tension abyss; we're never getting them..

I’m not saying I love the discrepancy between stated release windows and actual releases, but I’ve been around long enough to know how it works. Literally counting down the remaining days of Spring because a six month old update on their site said “this Spring” is pointless.

Oh, I'm aware of how it goes. I tend to get literal about things like this because a.) never is enough for me when it comes to Trent's music, and b.) we've been spoiled over the past decade with a prolificacy of quality releases that few, if any, can match..

Not to mention Bird Box Abridged is some of my favorite score work they've released yet. So of course I'm foaming for this bigger, deeper experience he's referenced..

In other words, how does it benefit anyone to sit and cross days off of their calendar expecting an announcement before the end of Spring rather than just hanging out and knowing it’ll come when it comes (if it comes)?

It's part of the fan experience, I guess? I don't know. Like I said, it's whatever. As long as it's made with love and not some slapdash product like the John Crawford stuff, I'll be happy to wait..

06-12-2019, 11:50 AM
I think at this point, much like with Robert Smith, when Trent announces something is coming out, you just take it with a grain of salt because there's a 90% chance it is A) not being released or B) will be delayed....That Wish deluxe for The Cure still coming out Fall 2010? Ever since Trent quit social media, he doesn't really communicate with fans anymore *unless he's telling them to suck his cock*, so it would be nice for updates on all these projects. A simple: "Hey guys, we thought about a Tension blu ray but realized its too much money to produce and manufacture a film about a tour that is already forgotten about and you can see that shit on youtube for free, so we bailed on it"...End of discussion......"Hey guys, we planned on releasing a Fragile deluxe in 2010, but with all the film score work, plus new NIN, plus the pain in the ass it is to find all the masters, its been delayed inevitably. One day I will get around to it." Boom. Done....Instead with no updates, we just speculate and speculate and speculate

Toadflax
06-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Brother, you can add that second round of vinyl reissues to the Great Tapeworm and Tension abyss; we're never getting them..

Feels like I've been here before...

Oh, right, your post from four days before the abridged version of Bird Box was released:

LMFAO new music Friday and still no Bird Box score release of any kind. I cannot, for the life of me, understand writing an album's worth of score music for a relatively-hyped up film and then not releasing it in any way, shape or form when the movie comes out. We're looking at what's shaping up to be the great Tapeworm of TR/AR score music, I guess..

:p

But anyway, your points are taken, and as you and @Helpmeiaminhell (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5551) both stated, it would just be nice to get the occasional update from the NIN camp — not about projects which they don't want to announce yet, of course, but stuff like this which has been announced and will most likely miss the previously stated release window.

BRoswell
06-12-2019, 05:39 PM
My guess is that the lukewarm response to the film is what might have delayed and/or killed off the release. Same thing with the Patriots Day vinyl that never came out. I honestly didn't see a lot of people chomping at the bit for an expanded version of their score, so maybe they realized that it wasn't worth the effort. Trent & Atticus are also working on a couple more film scores at the moment, and with the way Hollywood works, they might have just gotten too wrapped up in their other work to focus on the release. My opinion is that, if I didn't throw down any cash for it beforehand, I'm not going to get upset when it doesn't materialize. It's a little annoying when something doesn't come together, but at the same time, I can understand not making it a priority when the response to the news is fairly meh.

botley
06-12-2019, 06:58 PM
lukewarm response to the film
I would not exactly call it lukewarm... (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/07/bird-box-sandra-bullock-netflix-memes-hit)

BRoswell
06-12-2019, 09:15 PM
I would not exactly call it lukewarm... (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/07/bird-box-sandra-bullock-netflix-memes-hit)

The overall vibe seems to be that it was a decent way to kill two hours. The most memorable thing about it seems to be the memes that it produced, not so much the film itself. Reviews were definitely mixed across the board. Some people liked it, but most people seemed to move on from it pretty quickly. The hype train died a fairly quick death once reviews came out and people saw it, which would definitely slow down or put a stop to any album plans. Also, I think most people would agree that Trent & Atticus have done better score work, so while people may have liked what they did on Bird Box, they may be satisfied with the score album that was put out, or they may be wanting other goodies from them more. The response in this thread speaks volumes on how many people really want this to happen. I'd like to see it happen myself, but if it doesn't, I'm okay with that too. It's just not all that high on my list of things that I absolutely need to have right now.

piggy
06-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Trent Reznor: (Entire)Cock-tease Extraordinaire

Haysey_Draws
06-13-2019, 03:42 AM
I personally ADORED the score, and would have loved more...but if we don't then that's that, nothing we can do. At least the original score exists.

zecho
06-13-2019, 02:35 PM

It was successful numbers-wise, but the reaction​ to the movie by those who saw it was generally meh.

botley
06-14-2019, 01:38 PM
It was successful numbers-wise, but the reaction​ to the movie by those who saw it was generally meh.
I think you could say the same for Patriots Day but it has nothing like the popularity Bird Box enjoyed.

StockAvuryah
06-17-2019, 08:08 AM

I think Watchmen will overshadow all of this, and that’s what they’re working on

06-24-2019, 11:13 AM
I think Trent knows by now 99% of the people who buy his scores are hardcore NIN fans who truly don't give a shit about the film and whether it was good or bad. These scores are instrumental NIN albums

Erneuert
06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
I think at this point, much like with Robert Smith, when Trent announces something is coming out, you just take it with a grain of salt because there's a 90% chance it is A) not being released or B) will be delayed....That Wish deluxe for The Cure still coming out Fall 2010? Ever since Trent quit social media, he doesn't really communicate with fans anymore *unless he's telling them to suck his cock*, so it would be nice for updates on all these projects. A simple: "Hey guys, we thought about a Tension blu ray but realized its too much money to produce and manufacture a film about a tour that is already forgotten about and you can see that shit on youtube for free, so we bailed on it"...End of discussion......"Hey guys, we planned on releasing a Fragile deluxe in 2010, but with all the film score work, plus new NIN, plus the pain in the ass it is to find all the masters, its been delayed inevitably. One day I will get around to it." Boom. Done....Instead with no updates, we just speculate and speculate and speculate

The “hey guys...” update approach is more of a Gary Numan thing. He’s really good that way.

PhoenixML
06-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Spring has ended.

sonic_discord
06-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Spring has ended.

Thanks for the update. :p But seriously, did you really think it'd be ready by Trent's estimated time-frame? NIN releases always take longer than originally suggested. Let's just hope it actually gets released, unlike some of the other projects that have been announced in the past only to fizzle and never materialize (Closure DVD, Fragile deluxe, Tension Blu-Ray).

botley
06-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Let's just hope it actually gets released, unlike some of the other projects that have been announced in the past only to fizzle and never materialize (Closure DVD, Fragile deluxe, Tension Blu-Ray).
We got the Closure DVD for free, four discs of Fragile outtakes, and over an hour of Tension pro-shot online (again, for free). I mean, if that's "never materialize" for NIN, then they have a far better track record than other artists.

sonic_discord
06-28-2019, 09:39 AM
We got the Closure DVD for free, four discs of Fragile outtakes, and over an hour of Tension pro-shot online (again, for free). I mean, if that's "never materialize" for NIN, then they have a far better track record than other artists.

Yes, I know—I meant official releases. And as much as I love Deviations (bought the vinyl on day one), it's not the "Deluxe Fragile" 5.1 surround sound version that includes vocals that most people have been hoping & waiting for, it's a different beast. As for Tension, there was a lot more that was supposed to be included. But I'm not here to bitch, I'm actually very happy with what we've been given over the course of the past 15 years. Trent has indeed been very generous over the years and given us several projects for free. If the expanded Bird Box never materializes, I'll be fine with that. I'm still looking forward to the Watchmen score and whatever else they've got cooking in the oven.

Reznor2112
07-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Dont forget the vinyl version of Patriots Day and the vinyl of Gone Girl outtakes :rolleyes:

buckaroo
07-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Dont forget the vinyl version of Patriots Day and the vinyl of Gone Girl outtakes :rolleyes:

I wonder why it is so difficult to get this stuff released. My feeling was that it was issues with labels and rights, but I feel like stuff does get release (e.g. Gone Girl Outtakes, instrumentals, etc.). It could be physical release issues, but honestly even that has limits and you would assume if it was real issues then things would eventually just get released digitally. I wish he/they would get better about this stuff or just not mention it and we could be pleasantly surprised when things actually do get released. That Fragile Deluxe has been in my head since they mentioned it forever ago it and I fell like I can never just forget about it... it must be coming out at some point, right? right?!

Prettybrokenspiral
07-03-2019, 08:28 AM
I think he's just bad about announcing releases (i.e. deadlines) that have become unrealistic in today's market climate..

If anything, it's a good sign that he's passionate about releasing things he feels his fanbase will enjoy, and then the production bureaucracy bullshit eventually takes over..

If the WT/YZ masters were indeed lost in the 2008 Universal Studios fire, and he's just now finding out about this, then that would explain the 2.5 year "Coming Soon" debacle for those releases. He's probably just as pissed as anyone about that. Which one could also assume nixes any kind of Fragile 20th Anniversary release, if those tapes were included in the fire. However, he also released Fragile Apple/Deviations 1, which included a wealth of unheard material, so who knows if he's sitting on anything else..

Quake and The Slip are anyone's quess. One was released by id Software, and the other he owns outright, I believe. There's no real excuse for Patriot's Day never getting a physical release, and I attribute that to Lakeshore being a shitty vanity label who is out of touch with their fanbase, of which I've experienced on numerous occasions, much like SRC Vinyl..

Bird Box Deluxe...who knows. It's maddening, given how much I love the score they did for that film and knowing there's twice as much still out there, with not so much as a word as to why. My initial post in the Random NIN thread about it being the first day of spring and it wasn't getting released was purely tongue-in-cheek, but I'd be remiss if I said there wasn't some truth in jest..

Hopefully, it's just been delayed in production a bit and is coming soon (along with "lots more in 2019") and he just doesn't feel the delay is worth making a Sanddouchebag statement about. I'd like to think TR wouldn't leave his hardcore fanbase hanging like that. Hopefully..

botley
07-03-2019, 09:36 AM
I'm still confident the Universal backlot fire will not affect NIN's plans much. If anything, TR could jump on a lawsuit that would essentially stipulate "you don't own my masters anymore, because you fucking burned them, assholes, so I'll be releasing everything on Null Corp. from now on instead of your imprint, thanks for returning all royalties in perpetuity".

It could be physical release issues, but honestly even that has limits and you would assume if it was real issues then things would eventually just get released digitally.
I mean, the Gone Girl outtakes already were released, and one of them even was incorporated into the Patriot's Day soundtrack, which had a wide digital release. Honestly, the 'vinyl is our first priority' flex made a bit more sense when they weren't neck-deep in starting a new merch distribution operation, getting the new NIN trilogy completed and launched, organizing a tour, accepting more soundtrack work, etc. etc. More physical releases are sure to come when the time is right.

gorast
07-03-2019, 04:22 PM
I don't think the fire would be a reason for the holdup considering Broken, TDS, and The Fragile were all reissued long after the fire. Either the masters for NIN were stored elsewhere or Trent had them, or he had sufficiently high-quality copies that he felt comfortable working from them instead of the missing masters.

The NYTimes list could be inaccurate, too, because Universal demonstrated over and over that their accounting of the inventory in that vault was woefully inadequate, so maybe it was a set of backup copies in that vault or something.

Bird Box Deluxe being MIA is pretty frustrating but it's become par for the course lately.

Haysey_Draws
07-04-2019, 05:47 AM
I've made peace with "we'll get stuff when we get it". For whatever the reason stuff gets in the way and i'm OK with that, i'm just happy we're getting stuff every year.

Reznor2112
07-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Thing Left is just gorgeous.

I was listening to this while cooking dinner the other evening and stopped to cooking to watch my 18 month old lil boy play with my wife and about lost it lol

10-22-2019, 12:57 AM
With all the focus on the new "trilogy" of The Watchmen score, I guess the whole "deluxe" version of Bird Box with 1 extra hour of material is officially gone and into the NIN abyss, joining the likes of Fragile deluxe and Tension blu ray and countless others....Its a shame this score got banished into NIN purgatory considering it was probably their best score since Social Network

ltrandazzo
10-22-2019, 07:04 AM
I'd be interested to find out how much involvement Netflix had in preparing the deluxe version and if there was a financial component they were going to invest into it and if that has been present throughout or if it had been promised and then later withdrawn.

Just speculating, but I'd be curious to see if any of those potential details could have held this up.

botley
10-22-2019, 12:10 PM
I simply think they ran out of time to work on the physical box before the momentary opportunity to get it out in a timely fashion had passed, and other stuff took priority. It's a great score, but given past problems NIN has had with vinyl distribution and packaging, the time to get it right and make sure it would live up to their own expectations was probably way too short and now the film is not really on the radar anymore. Releasing the Watchmen score in several parts, as the episodes roll out, is a much more thoughtful use of the buzz and exposure the TV show will enjoy. I mean, right now they have all of the top three spots on Amazon's music chart purely on pre-orders for those vinyl volumes, and putting it out in smaller chunks like that will keep it on the streaming charts as well. The giant deluxe box set era, particularly for new work, is sort of winding down now.

I'd love to be proven wrong and get box sets for all the scores and NIN albums, of course!

BRoswell
11-22-2019, 09:10 AM
https://store.nin.com/products/birdbox-box-set

Jon
11-22-2019, 09:19 AM
https://store.nin.com/products/birdbox-box-set

From the mockup pictures it appears those holes on the box set are actually holes.

cdm
11-22-2019, 09:20 AM
From the mockup pictures it appears those holes on the box sex are actually holes.

LOL box sex

(sorry I had to memorialize that perfect typo)

botley
11-22-2019, 09:47 AM
^ Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT under any circumstances, fuck the holes in your Bird Box.

the time to get it right and make sure it would live up to their own expectations was probably way too short and now the film is not really on the radar anymore. [...] The giant deluxe box set era, particularly for new work, is sort of winding down now.
Well, what a difference one month makes! Ordered and downloading the FLAC now...

jhulud
11-22-2019, 09:56 AM
$80 for the Bird Box set....yikes...
I've dropped too much money lately...will have to hold out for a couple of weeks and decide.

botley
11-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Holy shit, it's almost twice as much music as the abridged version has! Also, seems they're not taking any chances with non-alphanumeric characters in the file names this time, heheh.

I mean, if you stan for NIN there should be 0% chance you sleep on a track literally called "STILL FEELS". It has feels of Still, fam.

Haysey_Draws
11-22-2019, 10:14 AM
£80...and there doesn't look like there's a digital only option either (unless i'm missing something)...fuck, i really can't afford that right before xmas :(

Reznor2112
11-22-2019, 10:32 AM
via the email that was sent out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVKKe2NcHs&feature=youtu.be

Jon
11-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Bird Box (Extended) - Unboxing Video [backup]

MP4
video = 1920x1080 H264 AVC
audio = ~128 kbps M4A @ 44.1 kHz
link = https://mega.nz/#!KvJxBCCQ!djBQI4ryQMl0625SBBhOlGdHHcsVl1z9QzLBEI-YO10

MKV
video = 1920x1080 H264 AVC
audio = ~160 kbps OGG @ 48 kHz
link = https://mega.nz/#!W3YViYwa!B61ojYFDMJ9_FxnF0pThxuFzuPs65OxUSiBden5 emVU

perterje
11-22-2019, 10:58 AM
I would love to see a tracklisting of this extended version and how it compares to the abridged edition we already got.

James Cobra
11-22-2019, 11:05 AM
I would love to see a tracklisting of this extended version and how it compares to the abridged edition we already got.

The abridged version had 10 tracks, this one 23.

SIDE 1
01. OUTSIDE
02. UNDERCURRENTS
SIDE 2
01. LOOKING FORWARD & BACKWARDS
02. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE
03. SLEEP DEPRIVATION
SIDE 3
01. TRESPASSER
02. STILL FEELS
03. WHAT ISN'T ANYMORE
SIDE 4
01. CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
02. AND IT KEEPS ON COMING
SIDE 5
01. DREAMING FORWARDS & BACKWARDS
02. A HIDDEN MOMENT
03. EXPOSURE
SIDE 6
01. FURTHER OUTSIDE
02. CAN'T SEEM TO WAKE MYSELF UP
03. CONTAGION A
SIDE 7
01. CONTAGION B
02. LAST THING LEFT
03. CONTAGION C
SIDE 8
01. SO MUCH TO SEE
02. INCOMPLETE RESOLUTION
03. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
04. MAYBE THIS IS

cdm
11-22-2019, 11:13 AM
The abridged version had 10 tracks, this one 23.

SIDE 1
01. OUTSIDE
02. UNDERCURRENTS
SIDE 2
02. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE
03. SLEEP DEPRIVATION
SIDE 3
01. TRESPASSER
02. STILL FEELS
03. WHAT ISN'T ANYMORE
SIDE 4
SIDE 5
02. A HIDDEN MOMENT
03. EXPOSURE
SIDE 6
01. FURTHER OUTSIDE
03. CONTAGION A
SIDE 7
01. CONTAGION B
02. LAST THING LEFT
03. CONTAGION C
SIDE 8
01. SO MUCH TO SEE
03. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
04. MAYBE THIS IS

Bolded tracks were part of the abridged version, only in different sequencing.

11-22-2019, 11:15 AM
More vinyl and digital only...Joy for joy...Just in time for the holiday season. CD consumers eat a dick yet again...

outatime1004
11-22-2019, 11:15 AM
I really want to hear this because I do enjoy what I've heard from a year ago but this is steep. Hoping for a download only option but I imagine this will be treated like Deviations 1.

eversonpoe
11-22-2019, 11:20 AM
i'm not gonna lie, as excited as i am for the DE of with teeth, i am way​ more excited about this! goodbye, money!

Deadpool
11-22-2019, 11:23 AM
What a great surprise. Didn't think we'd see the day!

Really hoping for a 'digital only' option and/or a streaming release soon.

It feels silly to say this since all of TR + AR's score work is so high-quality, but I really do think their music for Bird Box is some of my favorite they've done, which makes the idea of finally getting the unabridged (un-a-BIRDged??), Trent-and-Atticus-go-crazy-midtour-in-hotel-rooms-version extremely exciting. <3

arsenic
11-22-2019, 11:24 AM
via the email that was sent out

Just a little detail, but the URL in the mail redirecting to the video is: https://nin.lnk.to/UnBirdBoxing

I see what they did there :rolleyes:

Haysey_Draws
11-22-2019, 11:25 AM
If there was an option for a digital download, even if it was £20-30, i'd have got it on the spot...i just can't justify on a £80 vinyl i can't listen too just for the MP3s :( not this close to christmas anyway...

The Dead Rabbit
11-22-2019, 11:43 AM
On my Christmas list. Would love to listen to it before 12/25 though. Does anyone know of a way to do so? Thanks, in advance.

Reznor2112
11-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Original (abridged) release: TRACKLIST:

OUTSIDE
UNDERCURRENTS
LOOKING FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS
WHAT ISN'T ANYMORE
SLEEP DEPRIVATION
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
A HIDDEN MOMENT
AND IT KEEPS COMING
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
LAST THING LEFT

Extended release: (13 new tracks in BOLD) -- havent checked track times on the original tracks to see if they are longer on this release yet
TRACKLIST
01. OUTSIDE
02. UNDERCURRENTS
02. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE
03. SLEEP DEPRIVATION
01. TRESPASSER
02. STILL FEELS
03. WHAT ISN'T ANYMORE
02. A HIDDEN MOMENT
03. EXPOSURE
01. FURTHER OUTSIDE
03. CONTAGION A
01. CONTAGION B
02. LAST THING LEFT
03. CONTAGION C
01. SO MUCH TO SEE
03. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
04. MAYBE THIS IS

Reznor2112
11-22-2019, 11:47 AM
On my Christmas list. Would love to listen to it before 12/25 though. Does anyone know of a way to do so? Thanks, in advance.

Im sure it will appear. You also get an immediate download if you purchase.

fillow
11-22-2019, 12:21 PM
How dare they finally deliver... What are we gonna bitch about now?

jmtd
11-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Oh Jesus this is exciting and magical

spahn
11-22-2019, 12:39 PM

We got Waves, Patriot Day, Soul...plenty of bitching still on the way!

allegate
11-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Soon.

ryanmcfly
11-22-2019, 12:48 PM

a lack of live release from the last tour...

eversonpoe
11-22-2019, 12:51 PM
already got a shipping notification!