PDA

View Full Version : Bird Box (2019)

Pages : 1 [2]

StockAvuryah
11-22-2019, 12:53 PM
13 new tracks fuck that’s a lot, can’t wait to listen to it

gorast
11-22-2019, 01:24 PM
How dare they finally deliver... What are we gonna bitch about now?
Judging by the responses so far, more shit that needs to be chucked into the poopy diaper thread.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
11-22-2019, 01:59 PM

The fact that none of this music is on CD......based on the tons of comments on the NIN fb page demanding a CD, I would say this is a valid point of contention

ninjaw
11-22-2019, 02:37 PM
I had a chance to test the digital flac version (that trent is refusing to sell) VLC is saying 32/48 so i'm not sure if it's HD or absolutly not HD, the cover is ... really strange and not interresting (it's a huge pixel version of the blue thing) the cover itself is 3518x and the idtag version is 3200x, don't ask me why, it's huge, but the cover is so great that its size is really small : 170KB and errrrr the small version is 240KB, again don't ask.
Yeah i'm focusing on digital details, basicaly 170KB is the very small size of a classic MMS, MMS can handle 300KB and usually kills all photos

botley
11-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Even if it's 3200 pixels square, or whatever, it's basically a small grid of square solid colours (shades of 1999-era NIN.com!). Of course JPEG compression does really well in this case...

Don't trust VLC, it upconverts everything. The FLAC version contains true 24bit files.

Toadflax
11-22-2019, 02:53 PM
The fact that none of this music is on CD......based on the tons of comments on the NIN fb page demanding a CD, I would say this is a valid point of contention

Just scrolled through the 330 comments on the WT/BB post and saw like 5 asking for a CD.

botley
11-22-2019, 03:01 PM
^ There are more than that many in my DMs looking to steal the files. Maybe learn to torrent them and burn a CD? Just a suggestion.

jmtd
11-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Sounds like the cover art would have benefited from being in PNG format, for a change.

Zimbo
11-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Yes!!!

So excited for this to arrive and go thread the needle on this. Between the Social Network, Girl With..., Vietnam, Gone Girl, Before the Flood, and the Halloweens...I never expected to have such a vast vinyl collection of music scores!

Wulgaren
11-22-2019, 03:39 PM
what the heck is this cover art lol

richardp
11-22-2019, 03:43 PM
How are the new tracks from the digital files? Anyone get a chance to listen to them yet?

eversonpoe
11-22-2019, 03:46 PM
what the heck is this cover art lol

it's a pixelated version of the front of the box set, which is a recreation of the titular object from the movie

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/products/NIN_Birdbox_1_1024x1024.png?v=1574293115

gorast
11-22-2019, 03:58 PM
I get the concept of the digital cover art, but I do kind of wish it was just a straight scan of the actual cover rather than this ultra-compressed style. Makes it look too goofy. Not that I'm going to change it, but still.

jmtd
11-22-2019, 05:02 PM
I posted (I thought here but I guess in the other thread(s)) speculating that the cover would make more sense as a PNG. Now I've bought it I can confirm, it would. Although it's not that large a JPEG filesize-wise considering. I got it down from 168K JPEG to 80K PNG with little effort.

jmtd
11-22-2019, 05:05 PM
How are the new tracks from the digital files? Anyone get a chance to listen to them yet?

Literally just started track 1 now, but I haven't time to listen properly or deeply just now. So can't say whether this track is any different from the abridged version yet.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-22-2019, 05:46 PM

1. Tapeworm

2. Tension Blu-ray

3. Fragile 20th anniversary 5.1 surround

4. Quake vinyl

5. Patriot's Day vinyl

6. Year Zero Definitive

7. The Slip Definitive

8. Self Destruct Tour pro-shot footage

9. The rest of the Mid-90s score

10. Trent's hilarious Twitter put-downs circa 2009

:D

Toadflax
11-22-2019, 06:05 PM
9. The rest of the Mid-90s score

There is no rest of the score.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-22-2019, 06:25 PM
There is no rest of the score.

Thank you, Toadflac, but I'm afraid the princess is in another castle..

richardp
11-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Well shit, finally got home and settled in to order it and its sold out now. Shit, man.

Jon
11-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Well shit, finally got home and settled in to order it and its sold out now. Shit, man.

Call me optimistic, but it's possible new orders were temporarily disabled. I don't remember an initial note about BB being a December 2nd preorder, but regardless, the quantity according to the site code is still 893 (and dropping if you F5 and check again).

zecho
11-22-2019, 10:14 PM

I respected, but disagreed with your CD thoughts in 2016, but now I wish you'd just piss off somewhere else with them. It's clearly not going to change anything, so you can stop wasting your energy for every single release that they put out. Jesus Christ, man, let it the fuck go.

11-22-2019, 10:46 PM
I respected, but disagreed with your CD thoughts in 2016, but now I wish you'd just piss off somewhere else with them. It's clearly not going to change anything, so you can stop wasting your energy for every single release that they put out. Jesus Christ, man, let it the fuck go.

OK Boomer

Lerxto
11-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Call me optimistic, but it's possible new orders were temporarily disabled. I don't remember an initial note about BB being a December 2nd preorder, but regardless, the quantity according to the site code is still 893 (and dropping if you F5 and check again).
The quantity according to the site code is 0, and 52 left in the UK store.
There are 852 copies of With Teeth DE left. Probably they stocked some more, but I won't get my hopes up.

richardp
11-22-2019, 11:04 PM
eversonpoe already got a shipping notification so maybe they only had a limited stock available on hand, and then on December 2nd, they'll restock with more? At least thats what I'm hoping at this point. A total bummer though. I had totally planned to strap on my headphones and space the fuck out before bed listening to those instant downloads. I keep checking KL like a mofo.

zecho
11-22-2019, 11:20 PM
OK Boomer

I'm 27 tho.

eversonpoe
11-23-2019, 12:06 AM
@eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) already got a shipping notification so maybe they only had a limited stock available on hand, and then on December 2nd, they'll restock with more? At least thats what I'm hoping at this point. A total bummer though. I had totally planned to strap on my headphones and space the fuck out before bed listening to those instant downloads. I keep checking KL like a mofo.

mayhaps check your inbox...

untold
11-23-2019, 01:22 AM
@eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) already got a shipping notification so maybe they only had a limited stock available on hand, and then on December 2nd, they'll restock with more? At least thats what I'm hoping at this point. A total bummer though. I had totally planned to strap on my headphones and space the fuck out before bed listening to those instant downloads. I keep checking KL like a mofo.

hehehe same here, when I saw these releases yesterday I was like “holy shit I want them now”.
But I can’t buy them before next month and my girlfriend can’t understand why I hit F5 on KL again and again “they can listen to the remaster of with teeth and the extended edition of bird box and I can’t right now arghhhh” ��

botley
11-23-2019, 02:38 AM
"Trespasser" is creepy as fuck, it's like the TR&AR-as-score-writers' answer to NIN's "Screaming Slave".

ecirb
11-23-2019, 03:50 AM
Was just able to order Bird Box after it was 'Sold Out' yesterday.

simonn
11-23-2019, 04:00 AM
^ There are more than that many in my DMs looking to steal the files. Maybe learn to torrent them and burn a CD? Just a suggestion.

Would love to, but nothing appearing yet on torrent sites I know of, so a bit stuck.

Jon
11-23-2019, 04:43 AM
Was just able to order Bird Box after it was 'Sold Out' yesterday.

And it's gone again... for the time being. US store was showing 420 for quantity, and UK store was at 35.

With Teeth is holding steady at 741/755/751 (US).

Leprekon666
11-23-2019, 05:27 AM
And it's gone again... for the time being. US store was showing 420 for quantity, and UK store was at 35.

With Teeth is holding steady at 741/755/751 (tel:741/755/751) (US).
Just curious how do you find these stock numbers?

Jon
11-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Just curious how do you find these stock numbers?

Using Firefox:

1). Right-click on the product page, and select "View Page Source" from the drop down.
2). Ctrl+F to bring up the Find function; input "quantity" in the search.
3). Go to the second result, this should be the first option for digital download (typically it's MP3, WAV, FLAC). To the left of the quantity will be useful information about the item (digital format, item name). To the right of "quantity" will be a numeric amount.
4). Find the next instance of "quantity" and repeat Step #3 x2 to find remaining two results.
5). YMMV. You will get multiple items and quantity numbers, so double-check you're looking at the correct item while snooping at inventory.

Leprekon666
11-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Using Firefox:

1). Right-click on the product page, and select "View Page Source" from the drop down.
2). Ctrl+F to bring up the Find function; input "quantity" in the search.
3). Go to the second result, this should be the first option for digital download (typically it's MP3, WAV, FLAC). To the left of the quantity will be useful information about the item (digital format, item name). To the right of "quantity" will be a numeric amount.
4). Find the next instance of "quantity" and repeat Step #3 x2 to find remaining two results.
5). YMMV. You will get multiple items and quantity numbers, so double-check you're looking at the correct item while snooping at inventory.
Oh I see. I don’t have Firefox installed but glad I was able to order this before it got sold out. Never got these emails ppl are talking about as I got lucky going to the score forum page. This things gonna cost me $150 CDN, have to wait for With Teeth at local record store to get with The Fragile DE.

Volk
11-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Some of these songs make my subwoofer want to cum.

allegate
11-23-2019, 01:37 PM
hehehe same here, when I saw these releases yesterday I was like “holy shit I want them now”.
But I can’t buy them before next month and my girlfriend can’t understand why I hit F5 on KL again and again “they can listen to the remaster of with teeth and the extended edition of bird box and I can’t right now arghhhh” ��

Pretty sure you guys aren't talking about Kuala Lumpur.

eversonpoe
11-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure you guys aren't talking about Kuala Lumpur.

yeah, wtf is KL?

killer leprechauns? KY lube? kermit's longing?

frl
11-24-2019, 12:38 AM
For those that have listened, are the tracks that were on the abridged version of the soundtrack the same on this one or have they been extended/reworked at all?

Any guesses on whether this will be available for purchase digitally / make it to streaming sites? I bit the bullet for The Fragile Deviations when it was released (to get a download code, I don't own a record player), but The Fragile is one of my favorite albums of all time.

gorast
11-24-2019, 12:44 AM
For those that have listened, are the tracks that were on the abridged version of the soundtrack the same on this one or have they been extended/reworked at all?

Any guesses on whether this will be available for purchase digitally / make it to streaming sites? I bit the bullet for The Fragile Deviations when it was released (to get a download code, I don't own a record player), but The Fragile is one of my favorite albums of all time.

They're the same - the only differences are in how they transition into the new tracks, but that's only at the tail ends and doesn't affect the songs themselves.

As for the second question, I guarantee it'll be the same as the Definitive Editions and Deviations - never. Seems very much to be oriented towards the physical product the same way the others were.

Jon
11-24-2019, 12:54 AM

A few of the transitions are different because of the alternate track listing. As such, some of the tracks are a second or two shorter than on the "Abridged" version.

I'm planning on doing a review after I complete my fifth listen. I know it's very early, but this is my favorite score work TR+AR have done to this day; head-and-shoulders above Gone Girl. The new tracks fill in the "gaps" so nicely and help to give this score a very specific, claustrophobic atmosphere.

I've been fanboy-ing out since release... this is brutal yet beautiful, completely isolating, yet somehow cozy when you get a piano break from the drones. It's the Gone Girl formula, advanced.

eversonpoe
11-24-2019, 01:11 AM
A few of the transitions are different because of the alternate track listing. As such, some of the tracks are a second or two shorter than on the "Abridged" version.

I'm planning on doing a review after I complete my fifth listen. I know it's very early, but this is my favorite score work TR+AR have done to this day; head-and-shoulders above Gone Girl. The new tracks fill in the "gaps" so nicely and help to give this score a very specific, claustrophobic atmosphere.

I've been fanboy-ing out since release... this is brutal yet beautiful, completely isolating, yet somehow cozy when you get a piano break from the drones. It's the Gone Girl formula, advanced.

it's taking quite a lot of self-control for me to wait until i have the records in hand to listen to this

https://media0.giphy.com/media/PWfHC8ogZpWcE/giphy.gif

according to my tracking, it'll arrive by end of day friday

jmtd
11-24-2019, 03:29 AM
I watched a chunk of the movie yesterday.

I got chills when I saw the Bird Box for the first time

jmtd
11-24-2019, 03:30 AM
Also lol the mobile theme just shows spoilers straight up

gorast
11-24-2019, 08:04 AM
Someone on Reddit already got Bird Box and WT yesterday, and they had the audacity to not post photos of Bird Box. Hook us up, guy!

eversonpoe
11-24-2019, 11:58 AM
someone on reddit already got bird box and wt yesterday, and they had the audacity to not post photos of bird box. Hook us up, guy!

how!?

jmtd
11-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Have any UK orders had a shipping notification? Mine has not.

curbes
11-24-2019, 12:15 PM

No...

gorast
11-24-2019, 02:25 PM
how!?
Fulfillment from California and the guy lives in LA.

psus2h
11-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Birdbox is back up at Nin.com

Haysey_Draws
11-25-2019, 02:36 AM
So because i like torturing myself, how does the extended version sound...it's good isn't it? :(

Ascender
11-25-2019, 04:53 AM

Nothing here either... I'm hoping for some movement today as I'm trying not to listen to the digital files until after I've had a chance to listen to the vinyl.

Shipping came to £13.50 if I remember right, so for that I'd hope the two records were posted today for receipt tomorrow, but I don't think I'll see them much before Friday...

Reznor2112
11-25-2019, 07:43 AM
So because i like torturing myself, how does the extended version sound...it's good isn't it? :(

It is good. With that being said, its a bummer having heard the other tracks prior and not hearing the new ones until much later. The new ones are great but this is definitely the directors cut of the album. The original release is a tightly knit theatrical cut. That doesnt make either bad...just wish I had never heard the abridged version --- wouldve made hearing the extended version as a whole more appealing. If you ONLY listed to the new tracks, you might get a little bored. Int he context of the whole thing it is great. I would compare it to Thom Yorke's recent Suspiria score. Some parts are great, some parts stick around too long.

Reznor2112
11-25-2019, 09:07 AM
annnnd

officially sold out.

eversonpoe
11-25-2019, 09:19 AM
annnnd

officially sold out.

got an e-mail from merchbar this morning that WT (https://www.merchbar.com/rock-alternative/nine-inch-nails/nine-inch-nails-with-teeth-2019-definitive-edition-2xlp) and birdbox (https://www.merchbar.com/rock-alternative/nine-inch-nails/nine-inch-nails-bird-box-null-09-extended) are available from them, in case anyone missed out from the nin webstore.

jmtd
11-25-2019, 09:44 AM
£62 instead of £80 for it from them

That’s quite a difference

Haysey_Draws
11-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Wait a second, so the vinyl is limited? So if we miss on the expressive vinyl package we can't get the download...REALLY?

Surely there has to be a download only option coming...

Tom
11-25-2019, 09:59 AM
£62 instead of £80 for it from them

That’s quite a difference
Alas, at that price there'll be import fees, and so post office handling fees. I'd expect it to more or less even out.

But if it makes it to Amazon I'd expect it to be a bit cheaper.

cdm
11-25-2019, 10:05 AM
annnnd

officially sold out.

I was just on the product page and it said sold out...I refreshed and you can place an order again. Keep trying.

tony.parente
11-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Weird how they could afford proper packaging for this release for $80 when they could only afford dollar store bottom barrel single gatefold thin cardboard for Deviations at $80.

zecho
11-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Wait a second, so the vinyl is limited? So if we miss on the expressive vinyl package we can't get the download...REALLY?

Surely there has to be a download only option coming...

That's actually the only issue I have with these releases. I love the vinyl push, but I wish buying them wasn't the only way to hear these new releases. I feel like if I was releasing the ultimate versions of my music, I'd want them on every storefront digitally and on every streaming service. Especially if I put as much work into them as they seem to have done. Ah well, I got mine.

Ascender
11-25-2019, 12:46 PM
That's actually the only issue I have with these releases. I love the vinyl push, but I wish buying them wasn't the only way to hear these new releases. I feel like if I was releasing the ultimate versions of my music, I'd want them on every storefront digitally and on every streaming service. Especially if I put as much work into them as they seem to have done. Ah well, I got mine.

I do wonder if because Trent is so tech-savvy, he knows full well that people who want the vinyl will buy it and those who just want the music will acquire it one way or another - i.e. legitimate streaming service or less legal means.

I'm assuming the fact its now sold out (or close to selling out) is just the initial batch and that there will be more to come because it never said it was a limited edition? I guess if you're a smaller independent artist (relatively speaking) doing this stuff it must be hard to gauge demand when you have to pony up the cash for an initial run of x number of expensive-to-produce boxsets.

Would be really interesting to hear from Trent on this stuff particularly in the current streaming-dominated world we live to see just how these things are planned out.

11-25-2019, 12:53 PM
I think its interesting there was crickets for 11 months on the NIN/TR front and now new soundtracks and deluxe editions are dropping like every day at exorbitant prices....Just in time for the holiday shopping season!...What a coincidence....Looks like Trent is taking a master class from Maynard on how to fuck your diehard/obsessive fans...

cdm
11-25-2019, 12:59 PM
I think its interesting there was crickets for 11 months on the NIN/TR front...

Yeah it's almost as if they were busy doing shit. The nerve...

And no, it's not at all like the shit Tool pulled. They said straight away there were two versions of the Bird Box score. The only question was when the expanded would be available.

I gotta say your act is getting awfully stale and I know I'm not alone in saying that.

Jon
11-25-2019, 01:01 PM

It's the best piece of dark ambient they've done. Tangerine Trent & Lustmord Ross.

Holy shit, I want to do a track-by-track review, but there's still plenty of people that haven't heard it.

"Dreaming Forwards & Backwards" is probably my favorite. This goes directly into "A Hidden Moment". And then... directly into "Exposure". "Exposure" is my second favorite, and I feel it's even more unsettling than "Consummation".

There is a door shutting / train going over tracks noise present in several of these songs. Is that the Folktek Luminist Garden?

botley
11-25-2019, 01:04 PM
My physical copy just arrived, yaaay! I'm at work all day and can't listen to it, boooo.

mr9inchnail
11-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Just got a call from my wife who is at home on mat leave. My order has arrived !! WT and BB. I can't believe they both arrived here in Canada so quickly !

Deadpool
11-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Holy shit, I want to do a track-by-track review, but there's still plenty of people that haven't heard it.

Would love a track-by-track review!

I'm starting to kick myself for sleeping on this. On the plus side, its SOLD OUT status seems to be fluctuating....

Toadflax
11-25-2019, 01:27 PM
I gotta say your act is getting awfully stale and I know I'm not alone in saying that.

Seriously.

StockAvuryah
11-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Describing it won't spoil us, except for something very special. Go ahead, it will be a pleasure to come back to what you said once I have it, and reading it now can just fuel my imagination.

Neon
11-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Reznor2112 is spot-on with the description he made above. Personally I'm not disappointed, but the abridged version is already very good and feels "complete". The full version is really for the hardcore fans.Trent said it himself: "more self-indulgent". It's a bit of that. The new tracks are more ambient in style and contains many elements and themes from the tracks we all heard previously. I'm torn, I don't know which version I prefer actually.

NIN64
11-25-2019, 02:51 PM
How has anyone received this already? I ordered WT and BB less than 20 mins after they went on sale and I haven't even gotten a shipping notification...

Tom
11-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Just noticed that on the UK store it's listed as preorder that will ship the week of December 2nd. I'm guessing if WT was ordered at the same they'll be shipped together.

gorast
11-25-2019, 03:32 PM
How has anyone received this already? I ordered WT and BB less than 20 mins after they went on sale and I haven't even gotten a shipping notification...

Just noticed that on the UK store it's listed as preorder that will ship the week of December 2nd. I'm guessing if WT was ordered at the same they'll be shipped together.

They ship out of California, so the closer you are to there the faster you’ll get your order. As for when they ship, it could be totally random.

The U.S. store has that same preorder thing but it seems to mean nothing given that Bird Box is shipping now. Maybe it pushes you to the back of the line if you order it by itself.

jmtd
11-25-2019, 04:16 PM
They ship out of California, so the closer you are to there the faster you’ll get your order. As for when they ship, it could be totally random.

are you sure that’s true for orders from the UK store? If they were all being fulfilled from CA, I’d expect there to be one stock level, but there’s a separate one for the uk store.

I’m not sure it was listed as preorder on the UK store initially but I ordered so fast I could have just missed it.

Tom
11-25-2019, 04:29 PM
I'm quite sure they'll be coming from the UK.

I, too, wondered if mention of the preorder was added later - if not, I'm very surprised I didn't spot it when I placed the order.

otnavuskire
11-25-2019, 05:47 PM
No idea if this is legit or not, but someone on reddit pried the cardboard on the bottom of the box up and found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/e1nrlp/i_just_opened_my_bird_box_vinyl_the_bottom_of_the/

eversonpoe
11-25-2019, 05:58 PM
No idea if this is legit or not, but someone on reddit pried the cardboard on the bottom of the box up and found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/e1nrlp/i_just_opened_my_bird_box_vinyl_the_bottom_of_the/

no i 100% believe that's legit, especially given the teaser video (was it there? or in one of the photos?) showing a feather next to the box. holy shit that is ​so cool

gorast
11-25-2019, 06:18 PM
This is fucking rad. I can't wait to deface my copy of Bird Box when it arrives.

richardp
11-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Yeah that’s fucking great. Really fucking cool attention to detail.

tony.parente
11-25-2019, 07:14 PM
I guess Trent used all the packaging budget for deviations on...um.....

Leprekon666
11-25-2019, 08:42 PM
Just got a call from my wife who is at home on mat leave. My order has arrived !! WT and BB. I can't believe they both arrived here in Canada so quickly !
Did yours come from California or Mississauga? Ordered mine Friday at 1:36pm so I wonder when mine will show as I’m in Keswick not far from Ajax.

botley
11-25-2019, 09:27 PM
Yowza, I found the secret compartment too (didn't peek on here first!)... what a cool surprise! Think I can get the box back together and keep everything in there, if I move the brown divider to the opposite end of the box, and use the bubble wrap to keep the other... contents... packed against the back. Yeah, this thing certainly has... an aroma.

ltrandazzo
11-25-2019, 09:38 PM
I guess Trent used all the packaging budget for deviations on...um.....

Enough.

botley
11-25-2019, 10:05 PM
I think this is the best vinyl packaging they've ever put out, maybe second to Dragon Tattoo (but only because it had that amazing little USB stick necklace). This feels very lavish, and it's clear that they were proud enough of this score artistically that they wanted to give it a real deluxe treatment for the physical release.

mr9inchnail
11-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Did yours come from California or Mississauga? Ordered mine Friday at 1:36pm so I wonder when mine will show as I’m in Keswick not far from Ajax.

California according to the UPS tracking. I'm shocked at how fast they arrived!

psus2h
11-25-2019, 11:35 PM

Yes, legit. Three feathers, this thing stinks too, but its a pretty cool set. The LP's slipsleeves are unique too. Lstening to WT right now, so can't comment on the vinyl sound, but the packaging of NULL09 is great. Hopefully well get a repress of TGWTDT someday...thats the only one I'm missing.

botley
11-26-2019, 12:30 AM
Sound-wise, the vinyl is great too. All four of my LPs arrived without any visible dirt or damage and the surface noise on them was pretty low.

I'll go track-by-track on the stuff that wasn't in the abridged version. "It Can Happen Here" is a claustrophobic, portentously rising tone poem. On a loud, deep bass-reproducing sound system, it has the brain-frying quality of shutting yourself in a cupboard during a panic attack! This and "Trespasser" are the most ominous noise collages imaginable, with hardly a recognizable melody in the thick morass of sounds. This is the sort of thing they'd never usually put out for wide release, because it just feels so left-field... but it's also awesome.

Next is the closest thing to an "Adrift and At Peace" sequel that exists in their catalogue, and speaking of Still feels in "Still Feels" (sorry for making this dumb joke a second time), it occurs to me that the woodwind section that layers over top of the eerie piano ostinato in "Outside" is redolent of "The Persistence of Loss". That vinyl reissue of Still they were supposedly working on a couple of years ago would be a most welcome complement to this (oh, and let's have The Walled-Off Hotel complete score also, including a real-life player piano roll, please and thank-you)...

"Dreaming Forwards & Backwards" begins with a woozy, unsettling drone that slowly expands out of silence then twists and unfurls itself into a soaring and diving whine, while discordant bowed instruments moan and cry in the background. Again, quite amelodic at first, but there is a harmonic pulsation of bass that enters around three minutes in and it eventually resolves a progression I didn't even initially realize was happening. Very clever.

"Exposure" is another nasty, drone-y, screamingly full-of-dread number with no friendly topline melody aspects whatsoever, just blistering synth washes and throbbing, off-kilter backbeats that all of a sudden race themselves into a recognizable drum machine pattern, before burning out into a distorted husk just as suddenly and leaving the earth scorched in its wake with a mighty whirring-whooshing effect, and a low bass thud that trails off inconclusively. It's another seven-minute beast of nightmarishness.

"Further Outside" is a brief reprise of the opening ostinato piano theme, but with less of the slow build and decay in melody, and more of the creeping tension-mounting noises showcased throughout, in their own swooping climaxes and dimenuendi.

"Can't Seem to Wake Myself Up" is another rhythmically unsettled, noisy collage (it made me think of the "20 Ghosts III" noise fanfare, before the 'rock out' section takes over, or "I'm Not from This World" off Side Two of Bad Witch) but with a keyboard line that recedes into the dreamlike distance as various untethered stabs of drum or bass sputter out before the soundfield is dominated by textures of ping-pong stereo delayed synths that ring like alarm bells. It drops out and slides ungracefully into the loping, tap-dripping comedown of "Contagion A".

"Contagion B" has an insistent bass loop, more infinite-delay strings, and an alarm-bell cadence of clanging whines that spin out abruptly into the beautiful, quiet piano melody of "Last Thing Left". "Contagion C" does a similar trick, whipping up the frenzy of bass into a frantic pace with buzzing synths soaring high above. Love the driving tempo of this one, and the finale is like something out of a 1950s musique concrète track.

"So Much to See" reprises the bell-like synth chime ostinato and swooping horn blasts of "Careful What You Wish For", but with more frequent fits and starts over its short run time. "Incomplete Resolution" is a totally straight lullaby, played on what might be a sampled vibraphone. "Maybe This Is" reprises the recurring piano theme from "Looking Forwards & Backwards" but with an even more resigned, world-weary quality, leaving a haunted feeling that's the perfect space for having just witnessed the previous two hours of freakish mind-pictures that this soundtrack has conjured.

Haysey_Draws
11-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Hey so anyone know if i can use paypal credit on the NIN store...i think i NEED this now.

Geekofnature
11-26-2019, 05:32 AM
Hey so anyone know if i can use paypal credit on the NIN store...i think i NEED this now.I was able to pay for my copies using PayPal. I'm in the US, not sure if that option is available world wide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Haysey_Draws
11-26-2019, 06:00 AM
I was able to pay for my copies using PayPal. I'm in the US, not sure if that option is available world wide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just gave it a go...no dice. Paypal isn't an option in the UK :( Looks like i'm going to miss this one...

Jon
11-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Eloquent breakdowns of new tracks...

That's the other reason I didn't write a review. I can like this soundtrack with all my heart, but it doesn't make me a better writer. Excellent, Botley.

I thought it was worth mentioning that there's a cat meow clearly audible from 7:11 - 7:28 on "Trespasser". It starts distorted around 6:55.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-26-2019, 12:28 PM
I loved what they were doing with this score in the context of the Abridged version, and the director's cut version adds way more depth and scope to the whole thing, even if it's on the self-indulgent side. Filling it out to two hours makes this score an odyssey like GWTDT, Gone Girl and Vietnam War are: the more you spend time with it, the more it envelopes you into the world it creates..

10/10, was definitely worth waiting for. If you're a hardcore fan/completist who absolutely must have everything TR/AR, this is a sonic feast..

arsenic
11-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Amazon.de (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B081WRC16W) 's release date is apparently set for Janaury 10th 2020. I guess Bird Box won't probably be as "limited edition" as Deviations 1 after all :)

StockAvuryah
11-26-2019, 06:48 PM
« Exposure » is cool as fuck. It’s nearly all screechy and screaming and swirling, and then delves into an aggressive pulsation and ends after a last living synth screams and dies.

« Contagion C » is too short, this is really some wonderful electro-industrial delving into electro-acoustic at the end, focusing on the texture of the screeching synth.

caca
11-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Got my box in the mail today... and holy fuck, I love it. I totally get why the abridged version was released as it was, but man, these additional tracks from the recording sessions add a whole new layer of tension and paranoia. Hot damn.

Leprekon666
11-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Anyone from Canada you can get BB for $119 and WT for 45 from Srcvinyl.ca but release date is January 10. So Birdbox is about $7 cheaper if you want to wait that long. If your lucky to not get charged duty.

Edit: my order still unfulfilled why is it taking long to get it shipped? Mine never had preorder date listed.

TheBang
11-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Everyone stop asking for people to send you the files.

Ascender
11-28-2019, 03:41 AM
UK orders are expected to be shipping at the same time as Watchmen Vol 2, so I guess we should start getting them by the middle of next week.

sonic_discord
11-29-2019, 11:23 PM
does anyone have a really high resolution file of the digital artwork (bird box lid with holes)?

gorast
11-29-2019, 11:28 PM
does anyone have a really high resolution file of the digital artwork (bird box lid with holes)?

https://flic.kr/p/2hSN1F2

sonic_discord
11-29-2019, 11:43 PM
https://flic.kr/p/2hSN1F2

Perfect, thank you!

spahn
11-30-2019, 09:15 AM
Here are detailed pictures of about everything I can possibly capture on the bird box packaging, records, etc. Enjoy!

http://nincatalog.com/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross/bird-box-us-vinyl12-1589/

eversonpoe
11-30-2019, 09:30 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/a7c62583e3a105b92ee7cfc098c6e4d3/065b62fa81f864bf-73/s500x750/19f65386dbcd041d4ea2b9c2dcf39a138f2ed90c.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/34dcd93cf1e7e91032ea5bd0b06c9aea/tumblr_q1sfcezzxB1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/3431e2682ee66d259fae7b5646926beb/tumblr_q1sfd2tW5N1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

has anyone mentioned that the box is textured? because it is. there's...crust(?) around the air holes, and on several other areas around the outside of the box (on all sides). and i got THREE FEATHERS! :D but seriously, holy shit this thing is so well put together. i cannot wait to listen to it.

paul_guyet
11-30-2019, 09:41 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/a7c62583e3a105b92ee7cfc098c6e4d3/065b62fa81f864bf-73/s500x750/19f65386dbcd041d4ea2b9c2dcf39a138f2ed90c.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/34dcd93cf1e7e91032ea5bd0b06c9aea/tumblr_q1sfcezzxB1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/3431e2682ee66d259fae7b5646926beb/tumblr_q1sfd2tW5N1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

has anyone mentioned that the box is textured? because it is. there's...crust(?) around the air holes, and on several other areas around the outside of the box (on all sides). and i got THREE FEATHERS! :D but seriously, holy shit this thing is so well put together. i cannot wait to listen to it.Anyone have any thoughts as to the meaning (if there is any) of that little mark at the bottom left of the tracklist page? Reminds me of gel electrophoresis results.

gorast
11-30-2019, 10:27 AM
I did notice the texturing and it grossed me out a little lmao. The feathers, the texturing, the weird smell (which I think is just the vinyl outer sleeves and not a deliberate aroma)...this thing is grody. But it's a great package.

sonic_discord
11-30-2019, 11:56 AM
@spahn (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=21) @eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) Thanks for sharing! I'm waiting until after Christmas to get this thing because I have a lot of people to buy gifts for (and my wife may end up getting this for me), so until then, I have to live vicariously through others on the physical aspect of this release.

Also, I saw this image on Reddit yesterday and initially thought it was intended to be the digital artwork:

https://i.redd.it/kpcpi4o8eg141.png

nmitchell86
11-30-2019, 06:36 PM
has anyone mentioned that the box is textured? because it is. there's...crust(?) around the air holes, and on several other areas around the outside of the box (on all sides). and i got THREE FEATHERS! :D but seriously, holy shit this thing is so well put together. i cannot wait to listen to it.

So their are actual "holes" in the box? I can't wait for mine to arrive. I downloaded the FLAC files but am waiting to listen for the first time with the vinyl so I can explore the art work.

jmtd
12-01-2019, 04:07 AM
Are they real feathers?

Isn't there a risk they'll rot for any folks who don't realise they're there?

Is this a problem for vegetarians or vegans?

nmitchell86
12-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Good point about the feathers eventual demise, gonna move mine into ziplock plastic bags. I know that won't preserve them forever but it'll help. And it'll help keep the feathers from staining the box (if that's a possibility.)

Jon
12-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Good point about the feathers eventual demise, gonna move mine into ziplock plastic bags. I know that won't preserve them forever but it'll help. And it'll help keep the feathers from staining the box (if that's a possibility.)

Sand will also work, stick the end into the sand, voila! It also works for live flowers, they will dry out and preserve perfectly. My wife and I used unity sand instead of a candle for our wedding; we saved some flowers and yep, a bird feather.

Leviathant
12-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Are they real feathers?

Yes.

Isn't there a risk they'll rot for any folks who don't realise they're there?

No.

Is this a problem for vegetarians

No.

...or vegans?

There's a spectrum there. I was once invited to a birthday party so long as I didn't wear anything that was leather. If you're okay supporting a man who has contributed a lot to the leather industry, indirectly or otherwise, but not okay with feathers being hidden in the box, you'll probably want to pass on the boxed vinyl.

jmtd
12-01-2019, 12:07 PM
If you're okay supporting a man who has contributed a lot to the leather industry, indirectly or otherwise, but not okay with feathers being hidden in the box, you'll probably want to pass on the boxed vinyl.

For what's it's worth I was being entirely serious. Like everyone I bought blind so had no idea about the feathers or how they were sourced. I still don't. And not that I want to get too personal but I don't have a problem with other folks making their own choices about leather, feathers, etc. I'd just like the opportunity to make my own informed personal choice.

Leviathant
12-01-2019, 12:17 PM
For what's it's worth I was being entirely serious. Like everyone I bought blind so had no idea about the feathers or how they were sourced. I still don't. And not that I want to get too personal but I don't have a problem with other folks making their own choices about leather, feathers, etc. I'd just like the opportunity to make my own informed personal choice.

Yeah, no one knew about the feathers ahead of time. Part of why I typed out a longer response to that part of the post was to share my experience with friends who are vegan: some restrict that to diet, others take great pains to remove themselves from a specific subset of manufacturing altogether, others still distance themselves from people who use products made with anything animal-related. Maybe that's related to the breadth of lifestyles I encounter in Philadelphia now. I'm not passing judgment on these decisions people make, but you asked a very broad question, and in my experience, "vegan" can mean a number of different things.

WorzelG
12-02-2019, 01:57 AM
I don’t get the problem with this, birds shed feathers all the time without dying?

jmtd
12-02-2019, 02:22 AM
I don’t get the problem with this, birds shed feathers all the time without dying?

It's a question of how the feathers were obtained, what the animal welfare story is etc.

A couple of feathers used by Russell Mills in artwork, where he may even have picked them from a bush, is one thing. But this is an (albeit low run) mass produced product. Thousands of feathers, at least.

ParaGun
12-02-2019, 05:43 AM
It's a question of how the feathers were obtained, what the animal welfare story is etc.

A couple of feathers used by Russell Mills in artwork, where he may even have picked them from a bush, is one thing. But this is an (albeit low run) mass produced product. Thousands of feathers, at least.

Maybe they just recycled the feathers from an old pillow.

botley
12-02-2019, 05:48 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/NE8TFbYbdzqEg/giphy.gif
What are you, a fucking park ranger now?

BRoswell
12-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Considering Trent's previous involvement with animal rights groups, I doubt that they obtained the feathers in a way that would directly harm any birds. I certainly don't see the production team going out and plucking feathers off of birds for this boxset. :p

richardp
12-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Jesus are we for real fucking debating the "animal welfare" of these fucking feathers? For all we know they could be fake feathers for crafting with red paint thrown on them.

Jeeeeesus fuuuuucking chriiiiist.

jmtd
12-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Maybe they just recycled the feathers from an old pillow.

I mean that would be great! The point I'm making is I would like to know.

Considering Trent's previous involvement with animal rights groups, I doubt that they obtained the feathers in a way that would directly harm any birds. I certainly don't see the production team going out and plucking feathers off of birds for this boxset. :p

That's a good point and quite reassuring thank you.

Jesus are we for real fucking debating the "animal welfare" of these fucking feathers?

Well I am, sure, but nothing forces you to.

For all we know they could be fake feathers for crafting with red paint thrown on them.

That was pretty much my first question a page or so ago and I was told they're real. I haven't had my shipping notification so I'm relying on those who are lucky enough to have received theirs.

eversonpoe
12-02-2019, 03:55 PM
can't remember if i mentioned this when the abridged version came out, but the creepy arpeggiated synth melody in "careful what you wish for" is very reminiscent of the main line in the song "black antlers" by COIL (who coincidentally also have a song titled "careful what you wish for")

anyway, i'm listening to the vinyl now and it sounds pristine. this is also the most terrifying score they have done. Waves is unsettling at times, sure. but birdbox is actively scary, especially "trespasser". :: shudder ::

Toadflax
12-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Wow, this thread got intense.

I have a friend who's a taxidermy artist. There's a whole community of people who deal in animal parts, and they have a very strict philosophy of only sourcing materials through ethical means.

Ascender
12-03-2019, 03:31 AM
Wow, this thread got intense.

I have a friend who's a taxidermy artist. There's a whole community of people who deal in animal parts, and they have a very strict philosophy of only sourcing materials through ethical means.

I'm finding something quite amusing about the idea that it was a last minute brainwave from Trent, followed by him and Atticus heading out with a baseball bat to find some birds.

#commitment

Ascender
12-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Woohoo, Bird Box and With Teeth have shipped!

ltrandazzo
12-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Got my box yesterday and it smells like Carmex. That was enough to freak me out.

Ascender
12-05-2019, 04:16 AM
Bird Box and With Teeth arrived this morning. The smell sure is strong and a bit pungent - I'm assuming its from the material used to make the record sleeves.

Its a lovely package though, I love the obvious thought and attention which has gone in to it.

Leprekon666
12-05-2019, 05:02 AM
Is it easy to take the insert out for the feathers? I don’t want to damage it to get it out.

otnavuskire
12-05-2019, 05:06 AM
Is it easy to take the insert out for the feathers? I don’t want to damage it to get it out.

I just turned it upside down and put a very small amount of pressure on the middle with my thumbs while holding the sides and it popped right out easily.

Finn
12-05-2019, 11:59 AM
feathers were crunchy in the middle part, as expected, but was surprised to find them quite pleasantly flavored despite the pungent aroma

richardp
12-05-2019, 03:38 PM
feathers were crunchy in the middle part, as expected, but was surprised to find them quite pleasantly flavored despite the pungent aroma

Hope you seasoned 'em

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_6323945e-f54e-45a7-b329-321e03491d16?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

Leprekon666
12-05-2019, 08:28 PM
How thick is the box? I like to use a outer sleeve with it but I know this won’t fit. Anyone think if I cut a couple on the side and tape them together would work? I don’t want to buy a pack when I only need 1.

nmitchell86
12-05-2019, 09:32 PM
How thick is the box? I like to use a outer sleeve with it but I know this won’t fit. Anyone think if I cut a couple on the side and tape them together would work? I don’t want to buy a pack when I only need 1.

try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iajqJTZTynU

Lerxto
12-06-2019, 01:15 AM
Is there anybody else who got their plastic vinyl sleeves (outside of paper sleeves) damaged when they got the box?
I asked for a replacement, stating I don't need the whole box replaced but just the sleeves. It's my first time dealing with a plastic outer sleeve, let alone a damaged one.

Leprekon666
12-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Boo mine was supposed to show up to me today but delay in Louisville and didn’t make it on the plane. Probably weather related to come to Toronto lol.

nmitchell86
12-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Not to rain on anyone here BUT... IT ARRIVED!!! (along with Watchmen Vol.2 and With Teeth.) So fucking dope! On a side note, the smell... it was so bad my wife kicked me out of the office as she was inputting final semester grades... and mine has three feathers (I guess some had two.) She thinks it's a little gross but thats just how TR & AR trolls the fan base was my explanation, lol.

Leprekon666
12-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Lol my tracking info for this. It left Louisville, KY to Mansfield, OH to Buffalo, NY back to Louisville, KY. UPS is just as bad as Canada Post. All within 27 hrs. Is this actually gonna show up Monday.

jmtd
12-07-2019, 09:37 AM
UK bird box order arrived

botley
12-08-2019, 01:57 AM
On a side note, the smell... it was so bad my wife kicked me out of the office as she was inputting final semester grades... and mine has three feathers (I guess some had two.) She thinks it's a little gross but that just how TR & AR trolls the fan base was my explanation, lol.

Yes, that strong smell (I don't think it's off-gassing from the plastic inner folio sleeves, but rather from a deliberate scent application to the textured outer box) and holes in the cover are certainly intended to shock — along with the hidden feather compartment, of course. You can't download that stuff!

Jon
12-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Yes, that strong smell (I don't think it's off-gassing from the plastic inner folio sleeves, but rather from a deliberate scent application to the textured outer box) and holes in the cover are certainly intended to shock — along with the hidden feather compartment, of course. You can't download that stuff!

That’s amazing. My physical package is being held until Christmas, so I haven’t had a chance to see it (or smell it) in person. I figured it was just a polystyrene or polyethylene smell. It is also possible to get acrylic that smells like rancid cat piss.

atomobile
12-10-2019, 12:18 PM
Nevermind. Read some more here and found my 3 bloody feathers.... :)

My Birdbox arrived. It's feather-free......

Shadaloo
12-10-2019, 12:24 PM
I haven't been going out of my way to pick up TR/AR scores in LP format but I'm definitely hopping on board for this (as well as Watchmen). When the news initially broke that we'd be getting a bigger release down the line, I kept my listens of the original to a minimum, and I'm glad I did. This is one powerful, gripping, frightening work. I'd love nothing more than more horror scores out of the guys. Gonna get me a nice stinky box for my holiday gift to myself come Friday.

jmtd
12-10-2019, 04:42 PM
Left mine sealed until xmas.

Leprekon666
12-10-2019, 09:14 PM
I trying to find a outer sleeve for this. I know someone posted the guy that gets the sleeves from the art store. But I don’t really like those plastic bags with the sticky on the back. I use these type of sleeves for my Steelbook movies and they are a pain and don’t want them to stick to the box. I like Sleevie Wonder but his shipping prices are way too expensive and someUK ones don’t ship to Canada. Anyone know where to get these at a decent price as I only need 1.

botley
12-10-2019, 09:52 PM
I trying to find a outer sleeve for this. I know someone posted the guy that gets the sleeves from the art store. But I don’t really like those plastic bags with the sticky on the back. I use these type of sleeves for my Steelbook movies and they are a pain and don’t want them to stick to the box. I like Sleevie Wonder but his shipping prices are way too expensive and someUK ones don’t ship to Canada. Anyone know where to get these at a decent price as I only need 1.
A transparent bag to fit over this thing? Comic/hobby store, maybe? If you're worried about resealable glue leaking inward, getting a resealable bag that top-loads, or just putting a small piece of paper beside it as a spacer could help.

This is definitely an oversize item, and personally, I wouldn't buy a bag for it from anyone online unless you can really see it up close... otherwise, how do you know it'll fit? As a last resort, maybe ask around at local hardware retailers, maybe one of them has a spare product sleeve that's about 14"x17" with room to hold the thing? I dunno, been a while since I was near Keswick, so I don't know realistically what your local options are. Did I just send you on a wild goose chase or is that sparking any ideas?

piggy
12-10-2019, 11:13 PM
I've read that those big-ass 2.5 gallon ziplock type bags (Hefty?) will work for box sets, and you can even cut the zipper part off if you want to.

Jon
12-11-2019, 10:15 AM
I've read that those big-ass 2.5 gallon ziplock type bags (Hefty?) will work for box sets, and you can even cut the zipper part off if you want to.

Yep, those are Hefty. Ziploc makes 10-gallon versions also, in case you want some extra plastic to fold over, etc. I usually cut a portion of each side and wrap it around rather than putting it inside the bag; think of it like wrapping paper. The 10-gallon ones come in 4 packs and can be purchased for $6–7.

Leprekon666
12-12-2019, 04:50 AM
It’s available on Amazon.ca for any Canadians interested. $121.47 Bird Box (Original Soundtrack) (Vinyl) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081WRC16W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qSH8Db1HJXRKG

Leprekon666
12-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Yep, those are Hefty. Ziploc makes 10-gallon versions also, in case you want some extra plastic to fold over, etc. I usually cut a portion of each side and wrap it around rather than putting it inside the bag; think of it like wrapping paper. The 10-gallon ones come in 4 packs and can be purchased for $6–7.

isnt that plastic bad? Shouldn’t it be acid free and what not? I did find some on bags unlimited but it’s in 50qt. I’m trying to get a sample or something as I saw ppl say they got a sample of the big one. Don’t want to buy something to find out I have issues and spend a lot just for 1 lol

Jon
12-12-2019, 10:54 AM
isnt that plastic bad? Shouldn’t it be acid free and what not? I did find some on bags unlimited but it’s in 50qt. I’m trying to get a sample or something as I saw ppl say they got a sample of the big one. Don’t want to buy something to find out I have issues and spend a lot just for 1 lol

As long as you don't plan on eating your box set, you should be fine.

eversonpoe
12-13-2019, 10:33 AM
As long as you don't plan on eating your box set, you should be fine.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/4e/79/114e79466eccc7490ccde82ef6e90166.gif

(sorry, rewatching hannibal right now)

ryanmcfly
12-20-2019, 10:10 AM
I will now be exclusively referring to this release as "Turd-Box"

gorast
12-20-2019, 11:27 AM
I’m kind of surprised that the physical release leans so hard into the lore of the movie, given what Trent thinks of it. Maybe he was just speaking from a production standpoint and still enjoyed the concept of the film. It was a little surprising that he ripped it so directly, too, considering how it seems like Patriots Day wasn’t a favorite of theirs either, and he never went into detail about that other than vague allusions.

allegate
12-20-2019, 11:38 AM
The book was good-ish, so maybe he liked that enough to make up for the movie?

richardp
12-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Where and when did Trent actually talk about how he felt about the film? I've only personally seen him trash Patriot's Day. Would love to see what he thought of that boring ass movie.

fillow
12-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Where and when did Trent actually talk about how he felt about the film? I've only personally seen him trash Patriot's Day. Would love to see what he thought of that boring ass movie.
Look in the NIN spotting thread for fresh interview

imail724
12-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Does the vinyl box have any sort of numbering indicating how limited it is? I definitely want to pick one up at some point but wish I knew if I needed to jump on it or if I can wait it out a bit.

botley
12-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Pretty good price on this box set right now from Canadian site MusicVaultz (https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/*/Bird-Box-Null-09-Extended-4LP/6BXF0000000) (a direct-to-consumer branch of Universal's warehouse), with 20% discount code currently in effect as you enter 202020 at checkout it comes to $86 CAD plus tax, and free shipping inside Canada.

jmtd
12-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Nice. That is substantially cheaper than I paid in UK money to NIN.

My copy doesn't appear to smell. Probably a good thing!

imail724
12-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Pretty good price on this box set right now from Canadian site MusicVaultz (https://shop.musicvaultz.com/*/*/Bird-Box-Null-09-Extended-4LP/6BXF0000000) (a direct-to-consumer branch of Universal's warehouse), with 20% discount code currently in effect as you enter 202020 at checkout it comes to $86 CAD plus tax, and free shipping inside Canada.
Free shipping to the US as well. Thanks for the heads up!

imail724
01-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Have you received a shipping update on this yet?

botley
01-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Have you received a shipping update on this yet?
I ordered from nin.com, so no... but they generally ship quickly. Ordered my vinyl reissues of Dr. Dre's 2001 and Queens of the Stone Age's R from there just before New Year's, and they were both here by last week.

tricil
01-10-2020, 11:01 AM
I ordered from nin.com, so no... but they generally ship quickly. Ordered my vinyl reissues of Dr. Dre's 2001 and Queens of the Stone Age's R from there just before New Year's, and they were both here by last week.

There’s a 2001 vinyl? That’s awesome.

imail724
01-10-2020, 12:40 PM
Oddly enough I got my shipping confirmation about an hour after asking you about it.

botley
01-10-2020, 01:21 PM
There’s a 2001 vinyl? That’s awesome.
Sounds great, too!

Sequenteon
01-15-2020, 09:21 AM
I have a question about online "availability." I am not asking for links or that anyone post links; I'm not looking to violate any rules. $80 dollars for the extended edition is a bit beyond my price range at the moment. Other than nin.com, I've been unable to find any other means to download the score. Has anyone been able to find it elsewhere? Again, I'm not asking where - just a yes or a no will be fine. I've had no luck and am about to give up the search.

Jon
01-15-2020, 10:50 AM
I have a question about online "availability." I am not asking for links or that anyone post links; I'm not looking to violate any rules. $80 dollars for the extended edition is a bit beyond my price range at the moment. Other than nin.com, I've been unable to find any other means to download the score. Has anyone been able to find it elsewhere? Again, I'm not asking where - just a yes or a no will be fine. I've had no luck and am about to give up the search.

Legally, no.

You get the downloads for purchasing the set, and then you get a download card that can be used on one IP. The downloads are identical, with the exception of the WAV version from the download card being split into 2 zip files.

atomobile
01-22-2020, 01:05 PM
I'm not looking to violate any rules. $80,000 for a TESLA is a bit beyond my price range at the moment. Other than Tesla.com, I've been unable to find any other means of stealing the car. Has anyone been able to steal the vehicle elsewhere? Again, I'm not asking where - just a yes or no will be fine. People have told me to get a cheaper car or not get the car at all, or to get a job and buy one with my hard-earned money. But who wants to get a job, when you can steal the car from someone else? I know that people spend their own hard-earned money on things they like, but I want it for free. I don't want to pay for it since I can't afford it. It's not fair. I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!

Sequenteon
01-23-2020, 10:37 PM
I'm not looking to violate any rules. $80,000 for a TESLA is a bit beyond my price range at the moment. Other than Tesla.com, I've been unable to find any other means of stealing the car. Has anyone been able to steal the vehicle elsewhere? Again, I'm not asking where - just a yes or no will be fine. People have told me to get a cheaper car or not get the car at all, or to get a job and buy one with my hard-earned money. But who wants to get a job, when you can steal the car from someone else? I know that people spend their own hard-earned money on things they like, but I want it for free. I don't want to pay for it since I can't afford it. It's not fair. I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!

I want to respond to this in case any other fans are in a similar situation. Your logic is too narrow and not totally realistic. Is stealing music right? Maybe not. Does it boil down to laziness, entitlement, disrespect? Not always. Of course there are people who would rather sit on the couch and play PS4 than go work and pay for what they want. There are also fans, like myself, living with a disability, who are unable to work full time, and who may have very limited income (or no income at all). Trent and Atticus' work provides great relief, hope and inspiration in a situation that can otherwise be quite bleak. If my situation were different I would gladly pay $80 for Bird Box. As a fan who has bought a great number of NIN/Score Work over the years, is it the right decision to exclude myself from an experience because I'm unable to pay for it due to circumstances beyond my control? I don't know for sure. Maybe it isn't right - but your assumption that "I want what I want! And I want it now! And I don't want to have to get up and go to work for it!" isn't always the motivation for piracy.

I don't want to derail this thread but I did want to say what I said in case there are other members who make similar choices when it comes to what they purchase and what they torrent. I'm not saying what is absolutely ethical and what is not. What I'm saying is that that are many peoples' lived experience you're not accounting for with your analogy.

Leprekon666
01-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Lol $80 I paid $155 CAD after all the shipping and conversion before I knew it be released retailer wide. This cost me
more then Deviations & for 4 copies cause of all the damage copies I received. Everyone who purchased these from NIN.com have extra codes since we all got a download upon purchase and every copy comes with a download card. If you really want it can’t you just save some money & buy it when you can. There’s tons of stuff we all like to buy weather we are wealthy, poor, students, people that are disabled or the average person. We all have to save up to get things we want and can’t always get them right away. Most use credit cards and don’t even have the money to buy the things we want. I’m sure someone is willing to give there download code away or on Reddit and others willing to charge a fee for there code.

katara
02-01-2020, 04:36 AM
No.

BenAkenobi
02-02-2020, 05:27 AM
Any ideas why neither BB Extended nor W.vol.3 are on streaming platforms?

otnavuskire
02-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Any ideas why neither BB Extended nor W.vol.3 are on streaming platforms?

No idea about BB Extended, but Watchmen vol. 3 is definitely on streaming platforms.

BenAkenobi
02-02-2020, 05:57 AM
No idea about BB Extended, but Watchmen vol. 3 is definitely on streaming platforms.

this is Deezer
albums under "Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross":
http://saveimg.ru/thumbnails/02-02-20/22a0e052da040bda757432a14c2417f7.JPG (http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=8f2b5f70290c83ecea636228571fa324)

albums under "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross":
http://saveimg.ru/thumbnails/02-02-20/cf7e42ecf6c4740ec3fc714557388f00.JPG (http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=d4946f47586bb0c14f308e313b914e0f)

how does one find vol. 3?

otnavuskire
02-02-2020, 07:19 AM
this is Deezer

I don't use Deezer. But it's definitely on Apple Music, Spotify, and Amazon Music. I haven't checked anything other than those.

StockAvuryah
02-02-2020, 07:05 PM
this is Deezer
albums under "Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross":
http://saveimg.ru/thumbnails/02-02-20/22a0e052da040bda757432a14c2417f7.JPG (http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=8f2b5f70290c83ecea636228571fa324)

albums under "Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross":
http://saveimg.ru/thumbnails/02-02-20/cf7e42ecf6c4740ec3fc714557388f00.JPG (http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=d4946f47586bb0c14f308e313b914e0f)

how does one find vol. 3?

I asked Deezer support a month ago, they said the publisher never delivered or something. I hate that I can’t listen to it on the fly now.

it would be nice to be able to say fuck you to Spotify and the streaming services of the large brands like Apple and Amazon, but if the labels don’t allow Deezer to host their stuff..

paul_guyet
07-13-2020, 11:03 AM
Looks like a film adaptation of "Malorie" (sequel to "Bird Box") is in the works. (https://io9.gizmodo.com/yes-netflixs-bird-box-is-getting-a-movie-sequel-1844355368) Since TR/AR probably aren't scoring it...I don't know why I'm posting this.

Have a great day.

jmtd
08-23-2020, 01:28 PM
I liked the movie shrug

I need to try and remember to listen to this once in a while

eversonpoe
08-25-2020, 11:35 AM
I liked the movie shrug

I need to try and remember to listen to this once in a while

i liked it a whole lot more than A Quiet Place

i can believe that people adapted to wearing blindfolds and making their way around; blind people exist and thrive.
i CANNOT believe that an entire family with small children went for years with no one ever crying/farting/sneezing/coughing loud enough to attract the attention of those creatures.

BRoswell
08-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Neither film really lived up to their potential in my opinion. I found A Quiet Place to be a slog and Bird Box only slightly less so. I give Bird Box the edge over A Quiet Place because of the Trent/Atticus score and a couple effective scenes, but that's about it.

WorzelG
08-26-2020, 06:48 AM
In the recent DP/30 interview, Trent talks of a project where they felt ‘are we the only ones who care about this film?’. I wonder if this was the one as they put so much effort into the vinyl packaging, seems like they cared for it but then found the end result wasn’t up to snuff

fillow
08-26-2020, 06:57 AM
In the recent DP/30 interview, Trent talks of a project where they felt ‘are we the only ones who care about this film?’. I wonder if this was the one as they put so much effort into the vinyl packaging, seems like they cared for it but then found the end result wasn’t up to snuff
Could be this, or it could easily be Patriots Day or Woman in the Window.

BRoswell
08-27-2020, 01:44 AM
Trent mentioned in the Revolver interview they did last year that Bird Box was a disappointment for them. From his comments, it seems like the film was pitched to them as something that was more nuanced than it ended up being:

"We were sold a bill of goods that it was a psychological thriller and the director had a pedigree that was somewhat impressive. And when we got immersed in it, it felt like some people were phoning it in. And you're stuck with a film editor who had real bad taste. That's kind of our barricade to getting stuff in the film. And the final icing on the shit cake was we were on tour when they mixed it. And they mixed the music so low, you couldn't hear it anyway. So it was like, that was a [laughs]...that was a fucking waste of time. Then we thought, No one's going to see this fucking movie. And, of course, it's the hugest movie ever on Netflix."

botley
01-24-2021, 06:46 AM
Is this meme dead yet? I don't care:

https://i.imgur.com/boUL7e8.jpg

billybrah
04-09-2021, 11:54 AM
I just got the vinyl of Bird Box. It doesn’t warrant the $80 price tag, IMO. Four LPs, eight sides. Not one side is full. A couple or so sides are barely half full.

botley
04-09-2021, 12:31 PM
I just got the vinyl of Bird Box. It doesn’t warrant the $80 price tag, IMO. Four LPs, eight sides. Not one side is full. A couple or so sides are barely half full.

Um, that's not how vinyl works?

billybrah
04-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Um, that's not how vinyl works? Yes it is. Each side of a vinyl record holds 22 minutes of audio. You can CLEARLY see the blank/wasted space on these "Bird Box" records because no side has anywhere near 22 mins. of music. This should have been 3 LPs for $60. "Deviations" doesn't have all that wasted space and is definitely worth the $80. "Bird Box" isn't. Again, IMO.

cdm
04-09-2021, 01:28 PM
You paid $80 for 2 hours and 7 minutes of runtime. Are you suggesting they split tracks across two sides to "fill" albums? Or just toss in some filler to make a neat and tidy 22 minutes per side?

botley
04-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Each side of a vinyl record holds 22 minutes of audio. You can CLEARLY see the blank/wasted space on these "Bird Box" records because no side has near 22 mins. of music. This should have been 3 LPs for $60. "Deviations" doesn't have all that wasted space and is definitely worth the $80. "Bird Box" isn't.
It's not a linear cap at 22 minutes, though, that's just a general guideline for pop albums. This is a different kind of music, and the record lathes that cut audio into the grooves can sometimes behave differently, depending on the content. The cutting engineer can also choose to mostly avoid the inner part of the disc, instead of going all the way towards the label, so they avoid inner groove distortion (https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/vinyl-record-inner-groove-distortion-simple-explanation/) that will compromise playback. With all this in mind, this album's 13–20 minutes per side is not 'barely half full'. Side 7 is a little bit shorter than that, granted, but it's also one of the more bass-heavy and dynamic sides with "Contagion B" and "Contagion C" both book-ending the quiet piano on "Last Thing Left"... perhaps they wanted to leave some more breathing room there. Conceptually, it's also a bummer to try and fill each side up with an exact amount of time when this release is by design sprawling and 'self-indulgent'. There was more music on Deviations 1, sure, but also far less lavish packaging (as I'm sure we all remember), so between the two... in terms of value-for-money, I think it's a draw.

billybrah
04-09-2021, 01:59 PM
You paid $80 for 2 hours and 7 minutes of runtime. Are you suggesting they split tracks across two sides to "fill" albums? Or just toss in some filler to make a neat and tidy 22 minutes per side? 2 hours fits on 3 LPs. I wish they would have found a way to do it like that.

billybrah
04-09-2021, 02:01 PM
It's not a linear cap at 22 minutes, though, that's just a general guideline for pop albums. This is a different kind of music, and the record lathes that cut audio into the grooves can sometimes behave differently, depending on the content. The cutting engineer can also choose to mostly avoid the inner part of the disc, instead of going all the way towards the label, so they avoid inner groove distortion (https://www.yoursoundmatters.com/vinyl-record-inner-groove-distortion-simple-explanation/) that will compromise playback. With all this in mind, this album's 13–20 minutes per side is not 'barely half full'. Side 7 is a little bit shorter than that, granted, but it's also one of the more bass-heavy and dynamic sides with "Contagion B" and "Contagion C" both book-ending the quiet piano on "Last Thing Left"... perhaps they wanted to leave some more breathing room there. Conceptually, it's also a bummer to try and fill each side up with an exact amount of time when this release is by design sprawling and 'self-indulgent'. There was more music on Deviations 1, sure, but also far less lavish packaging (as I'm sure we all remember), so between the two... in terms of value-for-money, I think it's a draw. Yeah, it kinda is. I didn't mind the minimal packaging of "Deviations," it's the music I'm after. Vinyl's great, but it's not always the best choice for the $$. But, when what you want is only available in vinyl, you have to gamble, like I did here. It's all good though. I might sell it. Interested?

cdm
04-09-2021, 02:07 PM
2 hours fits on 3 LPs. I wish they would have found a way to do it like that.

OK so on your version track 3 starts on side A...flip...ends on side B.

Edit: the other option is drawing straws to decide who goes back to TR/AR asking if they'd like to rearrange the track order or lop off some minutes from this track or that track to "fill the sides". Good luck with that.

billybrah
04-09-2021, 02:11 PM
OK so on your version track 3 starts on side A...flip...ends on side B. Do you want to have the last word here? Take it. I said what I came here to say. Have good weekend.

Reaps
04-09-2021, 02:31 PM
I think they mixed the music so low because the score was so pants-shittingly-scary they didn't want it upstaging the visuals. Still my favorite work of theirs.

muad'nin
04-09-2021, 05:27 PM
I think they mixed the music so low because the soundtrack was so pants-shittingly-scary they didn't want it upstaging the visuals. Still my favorite work of theirs.

It is an incredible score, in my opinion. And well worth the asking price. The artwork is lavish, keeping in theme with the film, and unique. The score is a favourite of mine in Trent’s entire body of work, let alone just considering the scores (of which only TGWTDT betters it). It’s a joy to me.

Reznor2112
09-02-2021, 07:22 AM
Random question -- has anyone been able to find a sleeve that fits around this vinyl box set? I use the box set sleeves from Sleeve City and unfortunately they do not fit here (nor on my Mogwai 'Every Country's Sun' set).

Any leads is greatly appreciated.

Bear78
09-02-2021, 03:17 PM
Random question -- has anyone been able to find a sleeve that fits around this vinyl box set? I use the box set sleeves from Sleeve City and unfortunately they do not fit here (nor on my Mogwai 'Every Country's Sun' set).

Any leads is greatly appreciated.

I haven't personally looked for one that fits this boxset but this was the video I got pointed to when looking for something like this in the past:

LAZ Tips #2 "How I sleeve LP Box Sets" - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iajqJTZTynU&list=WL&index=2&t=521s)

jmtd
01-27-2022, 04:07 AM
I got my Bird Box out to play today for the first time in a while and it's pretty pungeant. I'm not even sure whether it's the "easter egg" that's the cause of the smell. How are yours smelling?

botley
01-27-2022, 08:58 AM
I got my Bird Box out to play today for the first time in a while and it's pretty pungeant. I'm not even sure whether it's the "easter egg" that's the cause of the smell. How are yours smelling?
'Orrid. Actually, some of the 'gas' smell has dissipated a little but it's still potent.

jmtd
01-27-2022, 09:49 AM
'Orrid. Actually, some of the 'gas' smell has dissipated a little but it's still potent.

I forgot that it was scented! I wondered if it was the feathers rotting. I'm finally bagging them up. Still not even sure they're not synthetic. The blood stains haven't faded or browned. Mind you I've had the box closed for a year or more.

paul_guyet
01-27-2022, 10:41 AM
I got my Bird Box out to play today for the first time in a while and it's pretty pungeant. I'm not even sure whether it's the "easter egg" that's the cause of the smell. How are yours smelling?Haven't opened it since my first listen when it arrived. Too scared. Going to let it marinate another year or so.

botley
01-27-2022, 07:57 PM
I took the wrapper back off and listened to the whole thing again just now. Goddamn beautiful piece of work, the release of tension with "Last Thing Left" is especially amazing.