PDA

View Full Version : Scalpers

anduril
10-02-2018, 07:21 AM
How many of you saw scalpers at your shows? I saw a few at Nashville.

There is nothing you can do to totally eliminate scalpers, just mitigate the damage they do.

bryan_NIN65
10-02-2018, 07:38 AM
It is legal in most states. It is your property to do with as you see fit. Captilisim. I had to buy my Memphis ticket from a scalper on Stub Hub.

anduril
10-02-2018, 07:51 AM
From my understanding the physical presale was to cut down on scalping. It also had the side effect of not being able to see multiple shows unless you had someone you knew and trusted in another city to pick up a ticket.

botley
10-02-2018, 08:31 AM
A pox on them all.

heavenly_bearded
10-02-2018, 04:46 PM
There were definitely a bunch of them in Chicago. And they were all friends and knew each other. It was cold and rainy that night and a bunch paid homeless people to sit in their chairs to hold their spots and some just straight up left their chairs and came back the next morning to find that the line had moved and their chairs were sitting in an alley. One, who's been labeled the burrito sodomy scalper guy, kept trying to use our phones and come under the canopy to avoid the rain. We/I was far from nice to him. As more and more friends showed up later in the evening on into the morning I just had everyone I know jump in front of the scalper group.

nmitchell86
10-02-2018, 05:45 PM
There were definitely a bunch of them in Chicago. And they were all friends and knew each other. It was cold and rainy that night and a bunch paid homeless people to sit in their chairs to hold their spots and some just straight up left their chairs and came back the next morning to find that the line had moved and their chairs were sitting in an alley. One, who's been labeled the burrito sodomy scalper guy, kept trying to use our phones and come under the canopy to avoid the rain. We/I was far from nice to him. As more and more friends showed up later in the evening on into the morning I just had everyone I know jump in front of the scalper group.

Wish I knew you then, lol. Yeah I showed up at about 2:30, 3ish and was right behind all the homeless guys that where buying for some scalper. When a third date was added, the guy showed up with more money and instructions to his crew of homeless, obviously not nin fans. I wish they would have taken his money in the night and left.

Krazy
10-02-2018, 09:50 PM
None in Phoenix that I personally passed by. I do have three scalper apps on my phone though- TM, LN, and StubHub.

It is what it is. Got some great seats on the cheap over the years, and I’ll pay a little bit more to cherry pick the seats I want. Fuck it, it probably evens out for me.

EDIT: this was the night of the shows, and not the in-person pre-sale thingy. From the OP I’m guessing the question is for the night of the shows.

anduril
10-03-2018, 09:36 AM
None in Phoenix that I personally passed by. I do have three scalper apps on my phone though- TM, LN, and StubHub.

It is what it is. Got some great seats on the cheap over the years, and I’ll pay a little bit more to cherry pick the seats I want. Fuck it, it probably evens out for me.

EDIT: this was the night of the shows, and not the in-person pre-sale thingy. From the OP I’m guessing the question is for the night of the shows.

Yes, it was the night of the shows. Which just proves that some people were in line just to scalp. Or they couldn't make it to the show.

theimage13
10-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Can we go back to the old word filter so that scalpers becomes scallopers? That slip is one of my fondest ETS memories.

frankie teardrop
10-15-2018, 09:44 AM
re: scalping. i lined up for physical world sales at 8pm the night before (even though we were told not to, i just had a feeling). even that early, i was the 30th person in line, and one of THE first non-scalper folks in line. they were sadly out in full force this time around, both pre-sale AND outside the venues.

heavenly_bearded
10-16-2018, 01:10 AM
Fucking poster scalpers at Radio City. We've been lined up since 10 am. Two guys cut in line with a DUFFLE BAG full of tubes. Line split into two as we entered the venue. They ended up behind @kittykorn and she stalled them at security claiming she couldn't get her rings off at the metal detector. They still ended up with a big stack of prints. They then went outside and scalped the tickets as well.

I got my foils but the couple three people back from me (6&7 in line) did not get the foils they waited for all day. Fuck those guys with a rusty spike.

EDIT: I was listening to their whispering in line and they were saying that since Brooklyn doesn't have anything on their websites about poster limitations, they're gonna be first in line and make them sell them all the foils. They were doing math saying 30 x $400 = $12,000. If anyone is in Brooklyn and sees two bald guys, obviously not fans, wearing grey hoodies carrying a duffle bag trying to cut in line, group up and tell them to get the fuck out of there, back of the line.

m0reta
10-16-2018, 01:26 AM
At Atlanta night #1 I met the head of merch. Unfortunately I was also trying to eat a hot dog so I've completely blanked his name. But if I see him again in NOLA I'll see if I can bring up the poster limitations. I would have thought foils had limit of one per person or at least they did in Atlanta. Probably w/ RCMH being bigger and/or different merch handling limits the restriction was not enforced.

Course anybody can find him at smaller shows coming up. Apparrently he hangs out long enough to know when posters sell out. :-D

heavenly_bearded
10-16-2018, 01:29 AM
At Atlanta night #1 I met the head of merch. Unfortunately I was also trying to eat a hot dog so I've completely blanked his name. But if I see him again in NOLA I'll see if I can bring up the poster limitations. I would have thought foils had limit of one per person or at least they did in Atlanta. Probably w/ RCMH being bigger and/or different merch handling limits the restriction was not enforced. A friend was chatting with him for a bit but not about the limitations. Radio City night one was a cluster fuck for merch.

Course anybody can find him at smaller shows coming up. Apparrently he hangs out long enough to know when posters sell out. :-D

I bought the first one off the top of the stack. Two other friends who were waiting in line with me also got one each. And when I bought mine I asked for a foil and she asked me how many. The workers were oblivious to any limitation. A friend talked to the person you're referencing but it was about the cluster fuck they called a merch table, not limitations. He seemed friendly and happy to chat.

m0reta
10-16-2018, 01:36 AM
I bought the first one off the top of the stack. Two other friends who were waiting in line with me also got one each. And when I bought mine I asked for a foil and she asked me how many. The workers were oblivious to any limitation.

Hopefully the Kings Theatre staff is more competant since they don't have to schiff Rockettes merch for two months every year. :-D

nmitchell86
10-16-2018, 01:21 PM
This should be brought up to the peeps over at the business end of the nin merch... That's bullshit what they (the poster flipper scalpers) are doing.

bobbie solo
10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
You guys that are on line already & going to the future shows and want those foil variants absolutely need to bring up/strongly suggest a poster purchase limit to any and all staff and NIN crew people you may see. The scalper story outlined earlier and the fact that a guy next to me bought 8 of the regular EMEK's on Saturday is really, really fucked up. It's arguably worse than scalping tix to the show itself.

Sarah K
10-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Last night there was a one poster limit on even the regular prints. But there were only 200, so that may have had something to do with it.

The NIN merch guy was pulling people aside to ask if the RC #2 and BK merch purchasing experiences have been better since RC #1. The fact that he remembers and recognizes folks is impressive. I guess the shitshow at RC #1 is why they had that merch booth outside last night.

ltrandazzo
10-17-2018, 12:49 PM
I would continue to raise the issue with the merch booths and their vendors to curtail this from getting out of hand.

I am super happy that NIN opened up the poster experience to the concert venue artist community and that they've used artists from Bottleneck Gallery and whatnot for this tour. The downside is that it attracts the online specialty poster community, and my personal experiences with them have been nothing short of toxic. It spread from the advent of Mondo and has expanded into multiple galleries that do great work and limit their production runs. I'm very happy that the Memphis poster was both fucking excellent and in Memphis as opposed to NYC, because I'd be just as pissed as many of you are that you've had to experience shitshows with these scalpers.

Search for "Nine Inch Nails Memphis" and you'll see why - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xnine+ inch+nails+memphis.TRS0&_nkw=nine+inch+nails+memphis&_sacat=0 - None or hardly any of these were the ones sold at the show, and the prices reflect that.

Damage
10-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Fucking poster scalpers at Radio City. We've been lined up since 10 am. Two guys cut in line with a DUFFLE BAG full of tubes. Line split into two as we entered the venue. They ended up behind @kittykorn and she stalled them at security claiming she couldn't get her rings off at the metal detector. They still ended up with a big stack of prints. They then went outside and scalped the tickets as well.

I got my foils but the couple three people back from me (6&7 in line) did not get the foils they waited for all day. Fuck those guys with a rusty spike.

EDIT: I was listening to their whispering in line and they were saying that since Brooklyn doesn't have anything on their websites about poster limitations, they're gonna be first in line and make them sell them all the foils. They were doing math saying 30 x $400 = $12,000. If anyone is in Brooklyn and sees two bald guys, obviously not fans, wearing grey hoodies carrying a duffle bag trying to cut in line, group up and tell them to get the fuck out of there, back of the line.

Wow that venue didn’t limit how many posters they could get?

That’s messed up !