PDA

View Full Version : The Brett Kavanaugh shitshow - ELECTION DAY IS NOVEMBER 6TH

GulDukat
09-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Ok, I think this now deserves its own thread:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking-michael-avenatti-reveals-client-making-gang-rape-allegation-against-kavanaugh/

In approximately 1982, I became the victim of one of these “gang” or “train” rapes where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present. Shortly after the incident, I shared what had transpired with at least two other people. During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me. I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.”

I'm really hoping this asshole isn't confirmed.

Patrick_Nicholas
09-26-2018, 11:43 AM
As long as the Republicans have control of Congress, and are doing everything in their power to push him in for obviously political reasons, the only way to stop him is if the Democrats find ways to convince enough Republicans to turn against him, since the GOP would rather continue putting party before country.

GulDukat
09-26-2018, 11:45 AM
The GOP can lose only one vote (Pence would cast the 51st to break the tie).

pulse
09-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Complete Dec

DECLARATION OF JULIE SWETNICK

1, JULIE SWETNICK, declare as follows:

1 - My name is Julie Swetnick and I am a resident of Washington, D.C. I fully understand the seriousness of the statements contained within this declaration. I have personal knowledge of the information stated herein and if called to testify to the same would and could do so.

2 - I am a graduate of Gaithersburg High School in Gaithersburg, MD.

3 - I presently hold the following active clearances associated with working within the federal government: Public Trust - U.S. Department of Treasury (DOT), U.S. Mint (USM), Internal Revenue Service (IRS). I have also previously held the following inactive clearances: Secret - U.S.

4 - Department of State (DOS), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Public Trust - U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

5 - My prior employment includes working with (a) Vietnam War Commemoration (VWC), Joint Services Providers (JSP), U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) in Arlington, Virginia; (b) U.S. Mint, U.S. Department of Treasury; (c) U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), U.S. Department of Treasury; (d) Government Affairs and Communications Department, D.C. Department of General Services (DGS), Government of the District of Columbia (DC.Gov); (e) Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. Department of Homeland Security; and (d) the U.S. Department of State (DOS). I was also one of the first 100 women in the world to achieve a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineering Certification (MCSE).

6 - I first met Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh in approximately 1980-1981. I was introduced to them at a house party that I attended in the Washington, D.C. area. I observed Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh as extremely close friends during the early 1980s when I knew them and interacted with them. I would describe them as "joined at the hip" and I consistently saw them together in many social settings, There is no question in my mind that Mark Judge has significant information concerning the conduct of Brett Kavanaugh during the 1980s, especially as it relates to his actions toward women.

7 - Following that first introduction, I attended well over ten house parties in the Washington, D.C. area during the years 1981-1983 where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present. These parties were a common occurrence in the area and occurred nearly every weekend during the school year. On numerous occasions at these parties, I witnessed Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh drink excessively and engage in highly inappropriate conduct, including being overly aggressive with girls and not taking "No" for an answer. This conduct included the fondling and grabbing of girls without their consent.

8 - I observed Brett Kavanaugh drink excessively at many of these parties and engage in abusive and physically aggressive behavior toward girls, including pressing girls against him without their consent, "grinding" against girls, and attempting to remove or shift girls' clothing to expose private body parts. I likewise observed him be verbally abusive towards girls by making crude sexual comments to them that were designed to demean, humiliate and embarrass them. I often witnessed Brett Kavanaugh speak in a demeaning manner about girls in general as well as specific girls by name. I also witnessed Brett Kavanaugh behave as a "mean drunk" on many occasions at these parties.

9 - I have been told by other women that this conduct also occurred during the Summer months in Ocean City, Maryland on numerous occasions. I also witnessed such conduct on one occasion in Ocean City, Maryland during "Beach Week."

10 - I have reviewed Brett Kavanaugh's recent claim on Fox News regarding his alleged "innocence" during his high school years and lack of sexual activity. This claim is absolutely false and a lie. I witnessed Brett Kavanaugh consistently engage in excessive drinking and inappropriate contact of a sexual nature with women during the early 1980s.

11 - During the years 1981-82, I became aware of efforts by Mark Judge, Brett Kavanaugh and others to "spike" the "punch" at house parties I attended with drugs and/or grain alcohol so as to cause girls to lose their inhibitions and their ability to say "No." This caused me to make an effort to purposely avoid the "punch" at these parties. I witnessed efforts by Mark Judge, Brett Kavanaugh and others to "target" particular girls so they could be taken advantage of; it was usually a girl that was especially vulnerable because she was alone at the party or shy.

12 - I also witnessed efforts by Mark Judge, Brett Kavanaugh and others to cause girls to become inebriated and disoriented so they could then be "gang raped" in a side room or bedroom by a "train" of numerous boys. I have a firm recollection of seeing boys lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their "turn" with a girl inside the room. These boys included Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh.

13 - In approximately 1982, I became the victim of one of these "gang" or "train" rapes where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present. Shortly after the incident, I shared what had transpired with at least two other people. During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me. I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.

14 - I am aware of other witnesses that can attest to the truthfulness of each of the statements above.

I declare, under penalty of perjury and under the laws of the United States of America, that the foregoing is true and correct. I have executed this declaration on September 25, 2018.

Julie Swetnick

ref: https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1044960428730843136/photo/2

HOLY SHIT!....Not that it should be more or less scrutinized or taken seriously than any claim, but this is a senior U.S. official that has ongoing/has had security clearances in dozens of federal departmental institutions, including Dept. of HLS, State Dept., Dept. of Treasury. Her risk of perjury and threat to career is too great in sworm affidavit and declaration to make such claims off the fucking whim.

GOP must shut this shitshow down ASAP and call FBI Investigation. BTW, fuck them for not already doing so!

M1ke
09-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Jesus Christ....this is horrifying.

If nothing else this nomination is absolute, undeniable proof that authorities do not protect women in the USA. Not that it wasn't already clear, but all the people who say "why not go to the police" or who think that law and order actually protect women might want to look at this and say "oh yeah, we've got a serial gang rapist on the supreme court, maybe our legal system isn't the moral protector we used to think it was".

pulse
09-26-2018, 12:25 PM
The is a full on escalation simply due to the following: If the Senate tries to push Kavanaugh through without further investigation now, they're going to have a stampede of federal employees with clearances coming out in protest, not just your average citizen off the street, based on their own rights to implicate another federal employee in sworn affidavit, declaration and testimony.

Louie_Cypher
09-26-2018, 01:42 PM
will be interesting to see how this play's out tomorrow, especially, given his past with ken star, and how basically he dealt and felt about Clinton, he's a full on partisan hack.I've known many a privileged frat bro dick there concepts and views of women. i find it strange from day one how he's been presented as a boy scout family man. I believe they knew about his past from day one. there's also the fact of unreleased records from the bush administration. Mitch even said he would have trouble getting confirmed. i still feel he was solely selected for his views on unlimited presidential powers. and that the whole Russia investigation. may end up in the supreme court. he has been very right his whole carrear. even going so far as to spend 15 million on confirmation adds. not only women's rights but corporate donations gay rights and a slew of other things like citizens united, that would be horrible for are democracy as a whole if he were to get a life tune appointment.
-louie

pulse
09-26-2018, 06:18 PM
And now there's a fourth accusation:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/senate-probing-new-allegation-misconduct-against-kavanaugh-n913581

According to an anonymous complaint sent to Republican Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, Kavanaugh physically assaulted a woman he socialized with in the Washington, D.C., area in 1998 while he was inebriated.

The sender of the complaint described an evening involving her own daughter, Kavanaugh and several friends in 1998.

“When they left the bar (under the influence of alcohol) they were all shocked when Brett Kavanaugh, shoved her friend up against the wall very aggressively and sexually.”

There were at least four witnesses including my daughter.” The writer of the letter provided no names but said the alleged victim was still traumatized and had decided to remain anonymous herself.

pulse
09-26-2018, 06:25 PM
These "Judicial Crisis Network" ads running on every news channel in support of Kavanaugh is abhorrent and disgusting. Kavanaugh is a nominee to be appointed to the Supreme Court of the United States and is justifiably being scrutinized due serious allegations. This is not a political campaign for God's sake. What the hell is wrong with these people?

pulse
09-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Make that 5 now since this was a time sensitive title that wasn't aware of the 1998 incident:

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/brett-kavanaugh-fourth-accuser-maryland

"The letter came after additional allegations against him surfaced this weekend, from his time in college and in high school. Government investigators confirmed Monday they’re aware of a potential second sexual assault complaint in the county against former Georgetown Prep student and Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh.
While investigators weren’t specific and spoke on background, they said they are looking at allegations made against Kavanaugh during his senior year in high school after an anonymous witness voluntarily came forward to speak with them this weekend."

Louie_Cypher
09-26-2018, 06:54 PM
any other job if four people came forward you would at the very least say let's slow our role and look into this guy. they want no background investigation. republican's have gotten a female prosecutor to question ford. a lot of things are playing out and corroborated. look i guess mexican's are drug dealers and rapist supeme court justices. no prob
-louie

Louie_Cypher
09-27-2018, 08:32 AM
i'll probably watch this even though it will be horribly stacked my guess is they won'y let her speak talk over her answers paint her as a slut, will at least be entertaining.
-louie

GulDukat
09-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Watching Dr. Ford now.

Seriously, fuck Bret Kavanaugh. What a pig.

theimage13
09-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Jesus Christ....this is horrifying.

If nothing else this nomination is absolute, undeniable proof that authorities do not protect women in the USA. Not that it wasn't already clear, but all the people who say "why not go to the police" or who think that law and order actually protect women might want to look at this and say "oh yeah, we've got a serial gang rapist on the supreme court, maybe our legal system isn't the moral protector we used to think it was".

For further "why not go to the police" information, read this (if you can stomach it)

https://www.facebook.com/coreybennettwilliams/posts/10217989722315514

This is gut-wrenching. This is shameful on every level. Sadly...this is America.

cdm
09-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Zero percent chance Dr. Ford is lying. Zero. Percent.

october_midnight
09-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Multiple NYT, CNN, NBC reporters tweeting out that they're being bombarded with texts from GOP 'sources' saying it's basically over.

https://twitter.com/HeidiPrzybyla/status/1045323338866921479

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1045350130080239616

ltrandazzo
09-27-2018, 11:55 AM
I've been reading live blogs but just had a chance to watch the clip between Leahy and Ford regarding the laughter. I had to go into the back and deal with that before coming back out. Absolutely heartbreaking.

ltrandazzo
09-27-2018, 11:56 AM

UGH. GROSS. I'm gonna barf.

Louie_Cypher
09-27-2018, 12:22 PM
very credible, the only thing they have fear of flying? don't forget this will not be the first time kav had lied before congress
-louie

theimage13
09-27-2018, 12:34 PM
My own mother - a liberal Democrat and an all-around great woman - just told me that "17 year old boys are idiots and drunk" and that "the focus should be on his legal history and his rulings, not what he did when he was a kid."

I very nearly cried when she told me that. It felt like I was talking to a stranger. I explained very calmly the numerous reasons I disagreed with everything she said, but didn't press it further for fear of potentially damaging our relationship. I'm just honestly in a bit of a state of shock over this.

ltrandazzo
09-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Graham threatens Democrats: "You better watch out for your nominees" (https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-ford-sexual-assault-hearing/h_334af2c1f7df7c9c99d3108a89ad989b)

Wow. Graham's conscience expired when John McCain left this world. He is 100% horrible.

cdm
09-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Graham threatens Democrats: "You better watch out for your nominees" (https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-ford-sexual-assault-hearing/h_334af2c1f7df7c9c99d3108a89ad989b)

Wow. Graham's conscience expired when John McCain left this world. He is 100% horrible.

I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine about 25 minutes ago. Don't sleep on this:

He's a fucking ghoul.

M1ke
09-27-2018, 01:35 PM
She managed to come off as credible, despite all of their attempts to discredit her. She's well educated, honest, and came prepared for every argument that they might have thrown at her, and handled it all flawlessly.

It's a shame that a victim being flawless is the standard that is necessary to make a woman credible while she's making an accusation of sexual assault against a white man.

But that said, thank god for Dr Ford. She's got more courage, strength and poise in her left pinky than I have in my entire body.

Louie_Cypher
09-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Wow. Graham's conscience expired when John McCain left this world. He is 100% horrible. agree haven't they already done as much damage as possible
-louie

pulse
09-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Graham: blah blah blah...*rant* blame the Democrats for making this political and consipiring to not have an FBI investigation in August to interfere with Mid Term Elections now.

Can we have an investigation now?

Graham: No. blah blah Democrats make this political and made victims of both Kavanaugh and Ford. I still don't know who paid for the polygraph.

Shut the fuck up, you spineless Trump-sucking goon.

Louie_Cypher
09-27-2018, 02:08 PM
important to remember this is not the only stain on kav, just the latest, there was also perjury charges for his appointment to the lower court, as well as financial issues with baseball tickets that we never explained or addressed 65k in charges which he took out loans to pay off to which he peplied, me and my friends like baseball. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/new-strike-against-kavanaugh-season-tickets/565022/a
-louie

GulDukat
09-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Watching him now..."The Democrats, Hillary, my mommy was a lawyer, my good name, my family...woe is me." Go fuck yourself, Kavanaugh.

kdrcraig
09-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Yeah...seems like he's trying to put on a show

ryanmcfly
09-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Even if he didn't do what he's accused of, something is really off about this guy

marodi
09-27-2018, 02:47 PM
I'm not a rapist because I have plenty of friends who were girls! And I have a calendar and I went to a Catholic school! And I'm a very important person who did very important stuff!

I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky

Bill Clinton, 1998.

M1ke
09-27-2018, 02:53 PM
I only managed to catch a bit, but it looks like he's alternating between taking Trump's advice of trying to be angry and attack his accusers, and tearing up.

Whether that tearing up is because he's putting on a show, or because he watched Dr Ford's testimony and is starting to recognize the damage he's done, I can't be sure, but he's definitely conflicted sitting up there.

It's like he wants to defend himself, but knows that what he did is indefensible.

GulDukat
He probably has an onion in his sleeve.

Swykk
You mean to tell me a former frat boy drunkard is yelling about his privilege?! No way!

To start off your statement screaming vengeance? Probably not the best plan. To keep yelling then crocodile cry? Well if he was a woman they’d say he was “hysterical.”

Fuck him. Fuck Grassley. Fuck Hatch. Huge Fuck You to Graham.

onthewall2983
09-27-2018, 03:06 PM

sweeterthan
09-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Angry White guy isn’t a good look when trying to prove your honor.

They won’t confirm him now....right?

pulse
09-27-2018, 03:30 PM
Kavanaugh: I'm willing to do anything the committee wants.

Committee: Why don't you want an FBI investigation into these accusers and witnesses to clear you?

Kavanaugh: But muh 302s.... My friend wrote a book but he's a junkie.

This is a fucking joke.

Kavanaugh: Blah blah blah my choir boy life...

Edit: This man is unhinged and compromised. No wonder Trump wanted him. His loyalty to him would have known no bounds.

GulDukat
09-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Lindsey....ugh.

pulse
09-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Lindsey Graham is losing his shit! in hearing.

M1ke
09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Lindsey Graham is a fucking piece of shit. Holy hell is he ever.

What a monster.

pulse
09-27-2018, 03:56 PM
He has lost all credibility in losing his emotions there; unprofessional as hell. Completely forgot his place and what this hearing is all about.

Edit: This comment was in reference to Graham. Though Kavanaugh is definitely not speaking in terms befitting of character who should be on the SCOTUS, period. It's not his birthright. Graham screams aghast like Kavanaugh's life in ruined. Bullshit! We need an honest person on the SCOTUS, not a loyalists who has problems being honest and trustworthy. This is not to take attention off the accusations alone either.

october_midnight
09-27-2018, 04:21 PM
How the fuck is Grassley still alive?

Louie_Cypher
09-27-2018, 04:26 PM
my opinion he came off horrible only i will say Lindsey's meltdown was kind of funny
-louie

M1ke
09-27-2018, 05:06 PM
They couldn't find flaws in the victim, so they're shooting the messenger instead.

Brett Kavanaugh is a horrible rapist, but the republicans seem to thing that if the democrats waited to discuss these allegations, then he still gets to go to the supreme court because the democrats may not be perfect.

The victim was flawless, but the prosecutor may not be, and even that might let the perp walk.

Jesus Christ, fuck these monsters.

pulse
09-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Kavanaugh: This is all revenge by Clintons and liberals.

Goddamnit! Yes, we need a right-wing conspiracist to preside over the SCOTUS bench. Just fucking kill me right now. Our Republic is driving straight off a fucking cliff.

GulDukat
09-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Here is what I think happened:

Fratboy Kavanaugh did exactly what he was accused of by Dr. Ford and was just too wasted to remember.

october_midnight
09-27-2018, 05:29 PM
https://twitter.com/laurenduca/status/1045407774602080260

pulse
09-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Fucking disgusted. They've turned this into a divisive rally for the Trump base -- be damned accusations or investigation. This is nothing more than a liberals versus conservatives shitshow, much less a Kavanaugh shitshow.

Rubeninphoenix
09-27-2018, 05:53 PM
How hyperpartisan was this shitshow today? Also, I'm surprised Cucknald Dump restrained himself from live tweeting and waited until the end to say something.

sweeterthan
09-28-2018, 05:49 AM
Did anybody watch maddow last night? She pointed out something very interesting about the hearing yesterday. She said kavanaugh’s defense hinges on this being a partisan delay to stop him from becoming scotus. She said ford’s testimony provided a timeline that shows Ford took action when she heard he was on the short list, before becoming the nominee.

M1ke
09-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Did anybody watch maddow last night? She pointed out something very interesting about the hearing yesterday. She said kavanaugh’s defense hinges on this being a partisan delay to stop him from becoming scotus. She said ford’s testimony provided a timeline that shows Ford took action when she heard he was on the short list, before becoming the nominee.

After Dr Ford came out and held up to the scrutiny, and even fox was admitting she was credible, I thought that maybe she had actually made the facts matter. Then I watched them pound their chests and call the rapist a victim and coddle him for how it was horrible that he could be accused of something he did.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-ford-kavanaugh-hearings-will-be-remembered-for-their-grotesque-display-of-patriarchal-resentment

I hope it doesn't happen, but watching the republicans yesterday, it seemed as if they were going to nominate him anyways. It seemed like they said "Yes, Dr Ford, we believe you, also, we're going to approve him anyways because we feel sorry for men who get caught raping people. Men shouldn't get caught doing that."

Republicans are disgusting excuses for human beings.

Louie_Cypher
09-28-2018, 07:34 AM
look he wiil probably get through, he show himself as totally partisan even thing he does will be scrutinized and controversial i doubt his fellow justices will respect him, another trump overstep. I think the dems will go big in November
-louie

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Jeff Flake is a yes so this will likely get out of the committee for a full Senate vote next week.

onthewall2983
09-28-2018, 08:44 AM
I've not felt this ashamed to be an American since Trump was elected, and it's a damn crowded field.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 08:51 AM

GulDukat
09-28-2018, 08:59 AM
1045669475524038656I had had hope for Flake. Another Republican asshole coward who only pretends to take the high ground.

I have little hope for Murkowski and Collins. This prick is actually going to be on the Supreme Court.

ryanmcfly
09-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Honestly, not even remotely surprised this is how this is going.

Harry Seaward
09-28-2018, 09:12 AM
I didn't see this thread. Vote at 1:30pm ET, a bit less than 3.5 hours from now.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 09:21 AM
I didn't see this thread. Vote at 1:30pm ET, a bit less than 3.5 hours from now.

No worries. I wish it didn't exist and that we weren't here.

M1ke
09-28-2018, 09:22 AM
How on earth can they justify this?

If you believe her accusations are credible, which they admitted she is, then you need to investigate before you can confirm.

Even if you dont believe shes credible, he's still displaying a temperament and contempt for the panel that will decide on his appointment. That's unbefitting of a judge on any court.

His conspiracy theories are demonstratably false, and this kind of thinking shows that he is completely incapable of being impartial.

This was never a trial about kavanaugh, this was always a trial about how badly Republicans hate Democrats, and clearly the verdict is "more than they care about their country"

GulDukat
09-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Patrick Leahy is my new favorite senator.

Harry Seaward
09-28-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm not too shocked that almost all of them are this craven and opportunistic, but I am a little shocked that all of them are this way. Not a single one has any sense of ethics? There's not one person in the GOP that is torn or feeling doubt or shame about any of this?

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 09:33 AM
I've been giving this thought, obviously. I really think this is a display of Republican contempt about where they are as a party and that they're ramming this through because they know how fucked they are, both now and potentially for the foreseeable future. They're being hammered for trying to take healthcare away, (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/nbc-news-wsj-poll-democrats-hold-advantage-november-s-elections-n912046) they can't campaign on their tax bill because it's so unpopular, (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-20/internal-gop-poll-we-ve-lost-the-messaging-battle-on-tax-cuts) they have to dance around the tariff and family separation policies and all they can show from their majority control of everything is that they got Neil Gorsuch confirmed without much hassle.

They have a list from the Federalist Society of 20 or so judges for the Supreme Court and at any time they could have dropped this guy and replaced him with one of them. McConnell told Trump that he had concerns about Kavanaugh, (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mcconnell-trump-supreme-court_us_5b420c9de4b05127ccf335a0) and it was ignored. It's 100% a given that they will get a conservative justice on the court who will probably overturn Roe v. Wade, and they have all of these other judges who could sail like Gorsuch, so why stick with Kavanaugh?

It's gotta be pride. They're a group of contemptible old men who want their guy to win no matter what the cost; they're raiding the place before they get kicked out and they couldn't care less.

Kodiak33
09-28-2018, 09:33 AM
A really depressing couple of days...

It was clear from her testimony that she's credible, she says it's 100% him and he was terrible in his defense. He has lied before under oath, and lied again today. His behavior was also indicative of how partisan he really is, and he doesn't have the temperament to be on the Supreme Fucking Court. I wish we had higher standards for people and the country, but we don't. BTW I'm a conservative, these low standards are absolutely killing the country.

Jinsai
09-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Graham's sad attempt at looking outraged on behalf of Kavanaugh is the new cringiest moment in petty American political theater. GTFO of here, you spineless shill fuck.

Harry Seaward
09-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Mantra
09-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I always knew they were gonna confirm him. They made up their minds before this whole performance even started.

People keep saying they can't believe the Republicans are doing this when they know it will only fire up all the Dem voters against them this November. But the thing is, they were already gonna get slaughtered in November anyway, and they know this. That's why they're pushing forward no matter what. Midterms are less than 6 weeks away. Their window of opportunity is closing, so they need to get their boy confirmed before they lose big.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Patrick Leahy is my new favorite senator.

He was one of my favorites after he stood up to The Joker in The Dark Knight.

sweeterthan
09-28-2018, 10:22 AM
I still want to believe that this could turn out another way. Surely, they can stop it. It’s rather disheartening to think they would even vote after yesterday. His nomination should be withdrawn. He could’ve killed a puppy during his testimony and the republicans would all still vote yes tho.

pulse
09-28-2018, 10:23 AM
I've been giving this thought, obviously. I really think this is a display of Republican contempt about where they are as a party and that they're ramming this through because they know how fucked they are, both now and potentially for the foreseeable future. They're being hammered for trying to take healthcare away, (https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/nbc-news-wsj-poll-democrats-hold-advantage-november-s-elections-n912046) they can't campaign on their tax bill because it's so unpopular, (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-20/internal-gop-poll-we-ve-lost-the-messaging-battle-on-tax-cuts) they have to dance around the tariff and family separation policies and all they can show from their majority control of everything is that they got Neil Gorsuch confirmed without much hassle.

They have a list from the Federalist Society of 20 or so judges for the Supreme Court and at any time they could have dropped this guy and replaced him with one of them. McConnell told Trump that he had concerns about Kavanaugh, (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mcconnell-trump-supreme-court_us_5b420c9de4b05127ccf335a0) and it was ignored. It's 100% a given that they will get a conservative justice on the court who will probably overturn Roe v. Wade, and they have all of these other judges who could sail like Gorsuch, so why stick with Kavanaugh?

It's gotta be pride. They're a group of contemptible old men who want their guy to win no matter what the cost; they're raiding the place before they get kicked out and they couldn't care less.

That's just it, all these accusations of grandstanding and conspiracies are nothing more than GOP bullshit. Dems did not obstruct Gorsuch upon committee. Sure, they may not have voted for him on the Senate floor due to his leaning conservative on viewpoints, but he's an honest and professional judge without accusations hanging over him and he got through committee with little issue. He also knows how to be civil in the face of controversy.

Kavanaugh is a belligerent and arrogant asshole. I would never want him ruling on shit. He doesn't deserve to hold his DC appeals appointment, much less be on the SCOTUS.

Given the multiple allegations and his behavior, that he is not being investigated by the FBI is a colossal failure of American government.

Edit: Fixed bold font and a comment.

Conan The Barbarian
09-28-2018, 10:26 AM
This country is fucked.

Louie_Cypher
09-28-2018, 10:54 AM
was a partisan shit show don't think it cleared anything up he will probably get through but always be stained with this i found his ability to lie with ease unnerving the whole yearbook thing out outrageous 15 guy all mention this girl and call them alums, but there is nothing sexual nothing at all, look i know all you guys, which they are all guys, can't remember being 15, but i can!
-louie

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Joe Donnelly of Indiana, one of the red state senate dems, is voting NO on Kavanaugh. And now, something to make your butthole clench -

sweeterthan
09-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Joe Donnelly of Indiana, one of the red state senate dems, is voting NO on Kavanaugh. And now, something to make your butthole clench -

Please please please be no.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Please please please be no.

Here's what could cause a full on fissure - Heidi Heitkamp hasn't announced her position yet and could still end up being a Yes even if Collins and Murkowski vote No, thus giving Pence the tiebreaker.

Harry Seaward
09-28-2018, 11:16 AM
This shit is just incredible. https://twitter.com/soychicka/status/1045694762471346176

M1ke
09-28-2018, 11:38 AM
This shit is just incredible. https://twitter.com/soychicka/status/1045694762471346176

Hopefully that shows up in the media, but it won't stop the republicans.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Kavanaugh passes committee 11-10 on partyline vote - Flake wants a one-week FBI investigation into current allegations and implies his final vote is conditional with the Senate passing the measure. Grassley says he'd support it on the floor, this is totally up to McConnell.

Also, whoever made this is my hero.

botley
09-28-2018, 02:05 PM
https://www.facebook.com/saulwilliams/posts/10156414551245310

october_midnight
09-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Looks like the FBI will get a week to do their thing...though the few (Flake, Murkowski, etc.) that have asked for it...will still almost certainly vote yes when it's over.

Now the shitbag's friend Mark Judge says he'll, and get this...cooperate with the FBI, as long as it's 'confidentially'. So yeah, apparently people can make demands of the FBI, so that's new.

Mantra
09-28-2018, 03:03 PM
Now the shitbag's friend Mark Judge says he'll, and get this...cooperate with the FBI, as long as it's 'confidentially'. So yeah, apparently people can make demands of the FBI, so that's new.

Wow, first I've heard about this.

So to me that basically translates as: "okay fine, I'll tell the truth about him, but only if I can do it behind closed doors and keep my own reputation clean"

sweeterthan
09-28-2018, 03:05 PM
But is he guaranteed that just because he’s demanded it? I don’t see how he’s granted confidentiality just because he says he wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Color me skeptical of all of this until I see a 51-49 vote that defeats this nominee or sees him withdraw. Right now, this is nothing more than cover fire for Flake, Collins & Murkowski that will let them vote Yes for this assclown next week.

And keep hammering away at those fucking phones for all of them.

Louie_Cypher
09-28-2018, 04:26 PM
my posts tend to be gobbled up but there were several remarks in his opening statement that were not true, 1) a right wingthe judicail something put more than 15 million into add telling people to call there congress person to confirm kav, this guy is very partisan and not to be believed
-louie

Mantra
09-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Here's a sampling of Mark Judge's dazzling, brilliant ideas on gender, sex, rape, etc....https://www.splicetoday.com/pop-culture/hard-case-crime-the-beauty-of-male-passion

Not sure how much faith I have in this idiot's testimony.

theimage13
09-28-2018, 06:13 PM
The FBI investigation is a brilliant move by someone in Trump's office (there's no way he was smart enough to come up with this). Give them a week, they'll find zero forensic evidence to move forward with any sort of criminal prosecution, then the GOP can say "see? We gave it due diligence and there wasn't enough evidence to charge him". The entire party can then say that Brett has been vindicated and vote him in while going "what more do you want from us?".

Watch this post. Guarantee you that this is exactly how it pans out.

pulse
09-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Here's a sampling of Mark Judge's dazzling, brilliant ideas on gender, sex, rape, etc....https://www.splicetoday.com/pop-culture/hard-case-crime-the-beauty-of-male-passion

Not sure how much faith I have in this idiot's testimony.

I don't agree with his piece. On one hand, he is saying the stereotypes of damsel in distress and authentic male passion/masculinity from 30s 40s and 50s serial film/pop culture still have their place in our society. Well, okay, yes they do and still do. But then starts bashing modern pop culture that incorporates a more modern archetype because they've been forced to so by "social justice warriors." What? You lost me there. We have freedom of speech in this country, for now at least. Social justice warriors aren't the folks you need to worry about. It's censorship of any type of media literature/art/film/music/game and suppression of a free press. Nobody has killed male passion. Women are just held to a higher standard than the objective portrayals of weak helpless sexxy creatures that can cook and need protecting and rescued all the time.

Demogorgon
09-28-2018, 06:23 PM
The FBI investigation is a brilliant move by someone in Trump's office (there's no way he was smart enough to come up with this). Give them a week, they'll find zero forensic evidence to move forward with any sort of criminal prosecution, then the GOP can say "see? We gave it due diligence and there wasn't enough evidence to charge him". The entire party can then say that Brett has been vindicated and vote him in while going "what more do you want from us?".

On a more cynical take, it could also be a test for Rosentein. If he cleares Kavanaugh, he keeps his job. If he messes it up, Trump gets his "justification" to fire him by saying he's politically motivated.

allegate
09-28-2018, 07:04 PM

Is the board doing something weird to twitter URLs? Because all that shows is that long-ass number.

Also:

https://twitter.com/alan_covington/status/1045637533378514944

pulse
09-28-2018, 07:06 PM
Is the board doing something weird to twitter URLs? Because all that shows is that long-ass number.

Also:

https://twitter.com/alan_covington/status/1045637533378514944Is the tweet you posted deleted because it's not loading.

GulDukat
09-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Watch this post. Guarantee you that this is exactly how it pans out.Or maybe, just maybe, the three Republican senators will do the right thing. Flake seemed genuinely pained and conflicted.

allegate
09-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Hmm, might have been...twitter is really weird for me (though at least I figured out it was Firefox and have taken steps.)

Shit, looks like it was. Basically the guy was saying that they had to sideline the outside prosecutor they selected, because Kav almost immediately put her in the position of being professionally required to point out that he lied. It was phrased oddly though so maybe the guy deleted it and posted a new one...let me check.

ltrandazzo
09-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Hmm, might have been...twitter is really weird for me (though at least I figured out it was Firefox and have taken steps.)

Shit, looks like it was. Basically the guy was saying that they had to sideline the outside prosecutor they selected, because Kav almost immediately put her in the position of being professionally required to point out that he lied. It was phrased oddly though so maybe the guy deleted it and posted a new one...let me check.

He cited the WSJ and there was no article about it by the WSJ. Either he made it up or he shared it from somewhere fake. Not real.

theimage13
09-28-2018, 08:04 PM
On a more cynical take, it could also be a test for Rosentein. If he cleares Kavanaugh, he keeps his job. If he messes it up, Trump gets his "justification" to fire him by saying he's politically motivated.

I didn't think there even was a more cynical take than mine. Jesus.

theimage13
09-28-2018, 08:05 PM

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/a-false-claim-about-kavanaughs-testimony-has-gone-viral-on

Sounds like you're talking about this.

Louie_Cypher
09-28-2018, 08:26 PM
watching some recaps of the hearing one thing i didn't notice but the sex crime prosecutor never got to ask kav questions she , one about did you know even griding against a woman is considered sexual assault to which, kav, sheepishly replies, yes. then Lindsey has his melt down, she never returns. was this done on purpose? his answer is awkward did they realize thingswere going badly and want a reset. shr seamed really unprepared.
-louie

allegate
09-28-2018, 08:53 PM
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/a-false-claim-about-kavanaughs-testimony-has-gone-viral-on

Sounds like you're talking about this.

He cited the WSJ and there was no article about it by the WSJ. Either he made it up or he shared it from somewhere fake. Not real.

Ah! Thanks.

playwithfire
09-29-2018, 04:14 AM
I think Kavanaugh is going to be get the seat and that scares me. I do think (hope) that we'll swing left after this Trump situation but Gorsuch and now Kavanaugh is going to create a republican supreme court, and that is a lifetime of damage :(

WorzelG
09-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Reading what Trump stans on Twitter are saying about this is really pissing me off. Saying things like ‘well the Dems are trying to trick him with loaded questions’ or ‘well wouldn’t you go off like that if falsely accused’. He’s a fucking judge isn’t he? It goes with the territory, if someone accused went off like that in his court they’d be in ‘contempt of court’ and if he can’t deal with questioning like that he’s a shit lawyer anyway and shouldn’t be given the position.

if he did what he’s accused of, he’s not fit for the position and the way he’s acted has also made him unfit for the position

ltrandazzo
09-29-2018, 09:57 AM
I think Kavanaugh is going to be get the seat and that scares me. I do think (hope) that we'll swing left after this Trump situation but Gorsuch and now Kavanaugh is going to create a republican supreme court, and that is a lifetime of damage :(

My hope is that Dems get ballsy enough and decide to pack the court once they're able to do so.

ltrandazzo
09-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Reading what Trump stans on Twitter are saying about this is really pissing me off. Saying things like ‘well the Dems are trying to trick him with loaded questions’ or ‘well wouldn’t you go off like that if falsely accused’. He’s a fucking judge isn’t he? It goes with the territory, if someone accused went off like that in his court they’d be in ‘contempt of court’ and if he can’t deal with questioning like that he’s a shit lawyer anyway and shouldn’t be given the position.

if he did what he’s accused of, he’s not fit for the position and the way he’s acted has also made him unfit for the position

They're awful. One of my coworkers is a sad, small little man who harbors lots of resentment towards women after his divorce (he's cried in my office about it and it was two years ago), and he's a big Trump guy. He was emboldened yesterday with the Thursday hearings. I didn't engage with him because of it and because I knew it'd go downhill fast.

theimage13
09-29-2018, 11:30 AM
On the docket for next month (https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/28/1799636/-Brett-Kavanaugh-and-Gamble-vs-U-S-No-17-646): a case that would allow presidential pardons to bar the recipient from being tried for the same crime in a state court.

Hmmmmm.....why would they be in such a hurry to push through this nominee?

So not only do we lose Roe v Wade and set the country back several centuries, but we literally let EVERYONE involved in Trump's crime ring off the hook.

When people told me I was overreacting to the election in 2016, this is what I was worried about.

Louie_Cypher
09-29-2018, 05:06 PM
thanks for posting the docket i believe the session starts Monday if i am not mistaken, kav is totally not credible look i actually have a yearbook from 1983, look i know were in a totally different class, look i didn't even think i was going to be able to go to college did we party yes, hell i was a stoner and in a garage band, there is no mention of sexual deeds or conquests or even references to drinking , save one "to a little man who sure can handle the poison " that's it again not a prep school so. not apples to apples, something isn't right about his whole defense.
-louie

chuckrh
09-29-2018, 07:56 PM
Pence could be the deciding vote. God help us.

Louie_Cypher
09-30-2018, 07:45 AM
i believe trump will totally throttle this investigation, then used as a foil against both sessions and the FBI. he honestly thinks this guy is his get out of jail free card. very very right very very pro coporation
-louie

Jinsai
09-30-2018, 10:39 AM
WHY can't they just find someone else for this LIFETIME appointment? I don't get this. You guys get to install another conservative SCOTUS, what the fuck do Republicans care if he wants to coddle and defend this trainwreck of a president... this man is not acceptable on SO many levels. He could be completely innocent of the charges brought against him by these women and he would still be a wildly inappropriate nomination at this point. Fuck him, fuck off and try again.

Swykk
09-30-2018, 01:37 PM
@Jinsai (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) Because Kavanaugh doesn’t think a sitting president should be able to be indicted.

But yes, the GOP should fuck off forever.

sweeterthan
09-30-2018, 01:52 PM
@Jinsai (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) Because Kavanaugh doesn’t think a sitting president should be able to be indicted.

But yes, the GOP should fuck off forever.

There’s no way the investigation doesn’t implicate more republicans in the Russia meddling case. They’re protecting themselves by installing kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. That’s why they can’t find someone else. This is their guy. He holds the get out of jail free card for more than just the president.

Louie_Cypher
09-30-2018, 02:46 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kavanaugh-lindsey-graham-ford_us_5bb0d0d0e4b0343b3dc10289 find this particularly disgusting. let's see can't blame the victim? god knows we can't blame kav? let's blame the information? watched bunch of fox news b.s.today. made it without screaming, OK a little. they really have nothing. focus will move to how awful and partisan the FBI is.what good god loving man kav and how unfair even questioning this man about his past is. and how even asking questions is ruining him and his family's name. wait he's still sitting on a federal bench. still making more money than me. not in jail nothing financial has happened to him. how has he been harmed?
-louie

playwithfire
09-30-2018, 07:04 PM
WHY can't they just find someone else for this LIFETIME appointment? I don't get this. You guys get to install another conservative SCOTUS, what the fuck do Republicans care if he wants to coddle and defend this trainwreck of a president... this man is not acceptable on SO many levels. He could be completely innocent of the charges brought against him by these women and he would still be a wildly inappropriate nomination at this point. Fuck him, fuck off and try again.

My assumption is that don't think they can get that done in time for November.

Also, there's a real case here for nominating women. All the same repellent views with a hugely reduced likelihood of having raped someone.

Louie_Cypher
09-30-2018, 07:54 PM
My assumption is that don't think they can get that done in time for November.

Also, there's a real case here for nominating women. All the same repellent views with a hugely reduced likelihood of having raped someone. you do realize hoe few federal women judges there are, right https://www.fjc.gov/history/judges/search/women
-louie

playwithfire
09-30-2018, 09:07 PM
Hmm, maybe like 427?

Louie_Cypher
10-01-2018, 08:04 AM
i think the republican's are a lot bigger and meaner on the whole charctor assignation thing people probably forget but sotomayor wasto tally held up because she played softball so they were saying she was gay so fuck you Lindsey i look would much rather have a gay justice the a lying rapist justice
-louie

theimage13
10-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Avenatti is allegedly suggesting that Congress - once the Democrats take back control - increase the number of SCOTUS Justices to 11, as payback for Merrick Garland and Brent Kavanaugh.

https://www.history.com/news/7-things-you-might-not-know-about-the-u-s-supreme-court

As much as I despise Avenatti, I like this idea. My only concern would be the backfire if/when it swings the other way, and suddenly it's like 8-3 Republican to Democrat and it takes a century to flip it.

theimage13
10-01-2018, 09:37 AM
On the docket for next month (https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/28/1799636/-Brett-Kavanaugh-and-Gamble-vs-U-S-No-17-646): a case that would allow presidential pardons to bar the recipient from being tried for the same crime in a state court.

Hmmmmm.....why would they be in such a hurry to push through this nominee?

So not only do we lose Roe v Wade and set the country back several centuries, but we literally let EVERYONE involved in Trump's crime ring off the hook.

When people told me I was overreacting to the election in 2016, this is what I was worried about.

The more I think about this...I feel like this shouldn't even be allowed on the docket due to conflict of interest. You'll have two judges deciding a case that directly impacts the person who gave them the job (note, I would feel differently were the president and many of his colleagues not under active investigation for dozens of felonies).

Louie_Cypher
10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
was watching john Oliver was a good show this week one thing that stuck out and was his body language during testimony am am not an expert but as a student of social engineering have read a lot about it. 1) thing that grabbed me was drinking water a lot as he did during the testimony is usually a sign of discomfort or nervousness, two he tends to blink a lot, again a sign of nervousness or discomfort, most people eye bounce from right to left when reflecting or remembering something his do not. i don't what this means and i am surprised TV pundents haven't been all over this, last and i guess most amusing, he literally had his tongue in cheek while testifying, again i not going to say what this means. again as stated previously stated Sophia sottomayor's nomination was help up because she was on a fucking softball team and were implying she was gay. so save me your bi-partisan reach across the isle bullshit there is one reason and only one reason this nominee is being pushed they think he is going to save the president and party from being disgraced when he is fanally thrown out on his ass from crimes against our republic.
-louie

ltrandazzo
10-01-2018, 11:15 AM
As much as I despise Avenatti, I like this idea. My only concern would be the backfire if/when it swings the other way, and suddenly it's like 8-3 Republican to Democrat and it takes a century to flip it.

Michael Avenatti is not the originator of this idea, so don't feel bad for liking it. I'm all for it. I really want this idea that we Democrats get and stay more involved on the local and state level so we don't need to use the Supreme Court to effect change and progress. Based on who's been elected 2-4 years ago and the kinds of people and ideas that are breaking through in primaries this year, I'm encouraged that we can stick with this.

thelastdisciple
10-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Here's a good one.

HOW WE KNOW KAVANAUGH IS LYING

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/09/how-we-know-kavanaugh-is-lying
------------------
"The existence of a “he said, she said” does not mean it’s impossible to figure out the truth. It means we have to examine what he said, and what she said, as closely as possible. If both parties speak with passion and clarity, but one of them says many inconsistent, evasive, irrational, and false things, while the other does not, then we actually have a very good indicator of which party is telling the truth. If a man claims to be innocent, but does things—like carefully manipulate words to avoid giving clear answers, or lie about the evidence—that you probably wouldn’t do if you were innocent, then testimony alone can substantially change our confidence in who to believe."

Louie_Cypher
10-01-2018, 03:40 PM
they are keeping this whole thing hidden behind a curtain, the wh keeps saying it's unrestricted, the only thing I've read is Yale classmates said he was a big partier, which gives creed to sweatnic's (sp) i think. it's to toxic for public consumption, if these reports come out one is that he committed purgry what then is disbarred? censored? what? does he loose his current seat?I will say, and someone might want to archive this because i'm going to give the trump administration a compliment, it's incompetents has proven the need to conviveen a constitutional convention. because it's proven our current system is highly flawed.
-louie

Patrick_Nicholas
10-02-2018, 01:35 AM
Okay, let's put aside his sexual misconduct allegations for a second to focus on an even bigger problem that his sexual behavior is a result of: his general aggressiveness while drunk.

Kavanaugh College Visit to Bar Erupted in Fight, Classmate Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-01/kavanaugh-college-visit-to-bar-erupted-in-fight-classmate-says-jmqwga1s

The New York Times, citing what the paper said was a copy of a police report, said Kavanaugh and four other men were questioned by the New Haven Police Department. Kavanaugh was not arrested but the 21-year-old victim, Dom Cozzolino, told police that Kavanaugh threw ice at him. A witness said Dudley hit the man in his right ear with a glass, which the report said resulted in injuries that were treated at a hospital.

Volband
10-02-2018, 06:07 AM
was watching john Oliver was a good show this week one thing that stuck out and was his body language during testimony am am not an expert but as a student of social engineering have read a lot about it. 1) thing that grabbed me was drinking water a lot as he did during the testimony is usually a sign of discomfort or nervousness, two he tends to blink a lot, again a sign of nervousness or discomfort, most people eye bounce from right to left when reflecting or remembering something his do not. i don't what this means and i am surprised TV pundents haven't been all over this, last and i guess most amusing, he literally had his tongue in cheek while testifying, again i not going to say what this means. again as stated previously stated Sophia sottomayor's nomination was help up because she was on a fucking softball team and were implying she was gay. so save me your bi-partisan reach across the isle bullshit there is one reason and only one reason this nominee is being pushed they think he is going to save the president and party from being disgraced when he is fanally thrown out on his ass from crimes against our republic.
-louie
I don't know shit about this trial, so I'm just reading this thread and comparing it to what the "other side" is saying, but this one got my attention. Reading body language has got way out of hand recently, whether it's sports or politics, and I think it's a terrible trend. If you want to see things, you will. Those people are on a trial which may forever alter their life; they will act weird.

There's a 26 minutes long video tearing apart Christie's body language. You either trust body language, and arrive to the conclusion that both of them are lying, which would be weird, or you don't force it to begin with, because it's just stupid.

Here. (https://youtu.be/uGxr1VQ2dPI)

edit: one thing to add though is that if one side is keep coming up with these bullshit body-language analysis, then the other one has to do the same in order to fight bullshit with bullshit. Sadly, I think this is the reason that we won't see this trend disappearing.

Okay, let's put aside his sexual misconduct allegations for a second to focus on an even bigger problem that his sexual behavior is a result of: his general aggressiveness while drunk.

Kavanaugh College Visit to Bar Erupted in Fight, Classmate Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-01/kavanaugh-college-visit-to-bar-erupted-in-fight-classmate-says-jmqwga1s
"Mr. Kavanaugh was not arrested, but the police report stated that a 21-year-old man accused Mr. Kavanaugh of throwing ice on him “for some unknown reason.”

Throwing ice as a drunk 20 year old warrants discussion? :D

M1ke
10-02-2018, 06:53 AM
Throwing ice as a drunk 20 year old warrants discussion? :D

Yes.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that this isn't the only thing he's been accused of that he's denying.

ltrandazzo
10-02-2018, 07:09 AM
I don't know shit about this trial,

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/524/tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Volband
10-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Yes.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that this isn't the only thing he's been accused of that he's denying.
Obviously. I'm just not seeing the connection between a teenager or a young adult throwing ice while being drunk and sexually assaulting someone. It's also rather sensationalist to conclude "general aggressiveness while being drunk" from that article. It is rather reaching.

Now, if he regularly beat up people while being drunk, even at a young age, then that would be a concern for sure. Everyone had drunk fights here and there, but those who keep escalating things to that level every time are indeed... bad seed.

*memes*
Did I imply anything about either the accuser or the accused being wrong?

I talked about the unhelpful nature of body language analysations recently and presented a video that discusses the same bullshit body language, except for the other party in this trial. I appreciate your year old memes, but maybe if you have an Administrator badge, you could try not misrepresenting me with a funny out of context quote which had nothing to do with what I eventually talked about.

Then again, I'm an avid memer myself, so I can't be too mad about this.

Louie_Cypher
10-02-2018, 08:35 AM
again one of the big problems of the trump era is he's so divisive and political. that it's not taken seriously. this is one of the most important jobs in the country. we not only have a guy that has shitty allegations about his past. but lies about his character and actions that's not ok. personally i want to be off the grid until this administration is gone
-louie

ltrandazzo
10-02-2018, 08:46 AM
*drama*

You left an opening there for someone to make fun of you with that opening sentence and for sharing that goofy video. My "admin badge" doesn't mean I can't take the piss out of someone.

Also, Brett Kavanaugh throwing ice at someone isn't the story here - it's that he's been accused of being drunk and belligerent to the point that it has helped shape him into an emotional, aggressive person and someone who isn't suited to receive a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court. This isn't a trial - it's a job interview, and this man isn't entitled to due process since his character and judgment is what has to be assessed here. A lot of people are getting those two things mixed up here.

aggroculture
10-02-2018, 08:48 AM
I feel at this point it's almost a point of pride for the GOP to ram through the drunk rapist douchebro
just like they backed Roy Moore and stand behind Jim Jordan

M1ke
10-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Everyone had drunk fights here and there,

I haven't been in a fight since I was 10 years old, and I would expect that someone on the supreme court has never instigated a bar fight.

Or at the very least, if they had, were honest about it and their drinking and taken ownership for the past behaviours.

Kavanaugh is claiming innocence of all charges, the sexual assaults, the excessive drinking, the aggressive and violent behaviours. Honesty & Integrity is a requirement to sit on any court. Kavanaugh doesn't have it.

Even if there was doubt about the sexual assaults, Kavanaugh doesn't have the integrity to sit on the supreme court.

Louie_Cypher
10-02-2018, 11:09 AM
good point, again i don't care if he drank, i do care that he lied under oath especially when being considered for the supreme court,look he integrity has been show to be flawed, next there are an literal ton of conservative judges without the sketchy past of kav look the people that supplied the list to trump even said, there was no ranking in the list they provided, lets have a new pick and let the midterms play out
-louie

Volband
10-02-2018, 11:11 AM
I haven't been in a fight since I was 10 years old, and I would expect that someone on the supreme court has never instigated a bar fight.

Or at the very least, if they had, were honest about it and their drinking and taken ownership for the past behaviours.

Kavanaugh is claiming innocence of all charges, the sexual assaults, the excessive drinking, the aggressive and violent behaviours. Honesty & Integrity is a requirement to sit on any court. Kavanaugh doesn't have it.

Even if there was doubt about the sexual assaults, Kavanaugh doesn't have the integrity to sit on the supreme court.
What you say is not wrong, but the article quoted will and should not be the reason for him to be judged as an alcoholic or all around agressive fella. A drunk 20 year old who (allegedly - but let's just treat it as a fact, it's such a minor stuff) participated in a fight by throwing ice at someone is nothing exceptional, and should definitely not be a reason for someone to be uneligible to any position other than the chairman of People Who Have Never Thrown Ice At Someone Else association.

Do you have any friends in the medical or law field? I do. I heard stories about how they party, and these people all ended up as doctors. It's such a silly statement that you don't want anyone who behaved like a young adult when they were young adults in a serious position, even if now they are in their fifties.

Obviously there are crimes like sexual assault or treason which should instantly make you non-eligible for a majority of jobs, whether you commited them as a hothead youngster or a mature person; there are no excuse for those crimes.

M1ke
10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
It's such a silly statement that you don't want anyone who behaved like a young adult when they were young adults in a serious position, even if now they are in their fifties.

This sounds dangerously close to "boys will be boys" which is used to excuse lots of different things.

As a young adult I drank too much sometimes, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be held accountable for that. I still did it.

Kavanaugh is accused of doing much, much worse by lots of different people. And the stories all paint a picture that is much more consistent and credible than the one he's trying to paint of himself.

He's got no place on the supreme court.

ltrandazzo
10-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Do you have any friends in the medical or law field? I do. I heard stories about how they party, and these people all ended up as doctors. It's such a silly statement that you don't want anyone who behaved like a young adult when they were young adults in a serious position, even if now they are in their fifties.

Obviously there are crimes like sexual assault or treason which should instantly make you non-eligible for a majority of jobs, whether you commited them as a hothead youngster or a mature person; there are no excuse for those crimes.

So I'll say it again - even though Lindsey Graham wants to put on a show stating the contrary - this is a job interview for a LIFETIME appointment to the highest court in the land. If a doctor parties too hard and fucks something up, they can be sued for malpractice and lose their license to practice. If a lawyer parties too hard and is incapable of representing their client, they can be replaced and disbarred. That can happen at age 25, 30, 40, 60, etc.

If someone is a judge, meaning they render opinions that shape judgments, they have to display a temperament in doing so. They can't be emotional or hotheaded or quick-tempered or hysterical or flat-out crazy. They can't be throwing drinks at someone that they mistook for the lead singer of a reggae band. They can't be sexually assaulting women and then render judgment controlling a woman's body and preventing a woman from their right to do what they want with their body. His behavior is a YOUNG ADULT can shape who he becomes as an adult and this man has displayed attitudes and behaviors showing that he's never learned from these mistakes and can't even bear taking responsibility for them. That's not someone who should be sitting on the Supreme Court.

Volband
10-02-2018, 01:12 PM
So I'll say it again - even though Lindsey Graham wants to put on a show stating the contrary - this is a job interview for a LIFETIME appointment to the highest court in the land. If a doctor parties too hard and fucks something up, they can be sued for malpractice and lose their license to practice. If a lawyer parties too hard and is incapable of representing their client, they can be replaced and disbarred. That can happen at age 25, 30, 40, 60, etc.

If someone is a judge, meaning they render opinions that shape judgments, they have to display a temperament in doing so. They can't be emotional or hotheaded or quick-tempered or hysterical or flat-out crazy. They can't be throwing drinks at someone that they mistook for the lead singer of a reggae band. They can't be sexually assaulting women and then render judgment controlling a woman's body and preventing a woman from their right to do what they want with their body. His behavior is a YOUNG ADULT can shape who he becomes as an adult and this man has displayed attitudes and behaviors showing that he's never learned from these mistakes and can't even bear taking responsibility for them. That's not someone who should be sitting on the Supreme Court.
It was investigated by the police, and they let him go. We could say privilege, but unless you meet some real hard ass cops, they won't care about stuff like this. I had one incident with the police, where they caught our teenager asses drinking in public at night. They scared us shitless that we can start searching for other schools, etc, but they did nothing. I bet their laughed their asses off in the car - "we got 'em!"

It would be laughable if someone would want to undermine my job applications by implying that if I defied the law at the age of 16 by consuming alcohol in public, then there is a good chance that I am an alcoholic. Like... whew. Obama smoked weed, and all I can think is that good for him, I don't care.

The rest of your comment is obviously true. I don't think anyone needs convincing that if you sexually assault someone, then it's a big no-no, to express it in a childish language. Sexually assaulting others is not part of your average young people are stupid excuse, so of course, once/if he is found guilty in those other charges, then he should fail that job interview.

M1ke
10-02-2018, 01:36 PM
It would be laughable if someone would want to undermine my job applications by implying that if I defied the law at the age of 16 by consuming alcohol in public, then there is a good chance that I am an alcoholic. Like... whew. Obama smoked weed, and all I can think is that good for him, I don't care.

Are you applying for a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court? Because the standards for that job are very different than the standards for other jobs.

Also, have you also been accused of sexual assault by many women? Have you ever instigated a bar fight? Did you try to present yourself as a good little catholic and pretend that you didn't drink? Did you lie to the senate when they asked you direct questions about your behaviour during that process? Did you become angry and belligerent when the senators who are responsible for approving or denying your appointment asked you questions about the allegations?

This false comparison that you're making up with yourself is really getting tired.

The jobs you'd be applying for have lower standards than a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court. The things Kavanaugh is accused of are much more egregious than the things you've confessed to here.

His demeanour alone should disqualify him from the supreme court.

Kodiak33
10-02-2018, 02:03 PM
I would say his obvious hyper-partisanship should've automatically disqualified him during his testimony. That was insane.

Edited: Also, this article hits the nail on the head for me...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/

Louie_Cypher
10-02-2018, 03:51 PM
not to put to fine a point on it, but i deal with very sensitive information, and certain clients i expect to dig deep into my past, if they don't how am i to expect to take them seriously, and therefor do my job seriously my last engagement was with a cc company who's name rhymes with Lisa, would fully expect them to run a credit report on me. if there was issue, i would hope they would contact me and give me the opportunity to explain. I tend to find people, that come of as angry and righteous are usually not being truthful especially people with privilege and power. how dare you question me!
-louie

pulse
10-02-2018, 04:12 PM
The hyper-partisan aspect of Kavanaugh's testimony is exactly what should disqualify him, period. Tired of the bullshit.

Can I see someone being devestated by false accusations? ABSOLUTELY. But to say this is a Clinton and liberal conspiracy over Donald fucking Trump in a hearing is a goddamned disgrace in the history of American government. There is no amount of hyperbole that can overshoot such bullshit from a potential justice spewed forth by a federal judge. Fuck him and fuck the GOP for entertaining this asshole.

Does not matter what I or anyone should feel about the accusations. This shit is fracturing our society, much less government; and furthermore, the GOP does not care. There were 23 other conservative judges they could confirm. Yet they anchor themselves to this beligerent person who acts as if he is entitled to the position. No, you're not. Act like you should hold the position as a federal appeals judge, much less a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. You want to proclaim a conspiracy? How about why Kavanaugh?. Here's one, protect absolute power by a party and this sham of a presidential administration, constitutional precedence be damned.

Edit: This is personal but I am ashamed that I ever registered as a Republican on my 18th birthday. I had aligned myself to more responsible fiscal and financial government spending and a small government. Granted I have gained a more progressive attitude as I have evolved into my middle-aged years; however, the intrusive social engineering Republicans have sought the past 20 years is disgusting. That party is now dead to me. If ever there was an example of why, this sideshow circus is it.

Louie_Cypher
10-02-2018, 06:17 PM
The hyper-partisan aspect of Kavanaugh's testimony is exactly what should disqualify him, period. Tired of the bullshit.

Can I see someone being devestated by false accusations? ABSOLUTELY. But to say this is a Clinton and liberal conspiracy over Donald fucking Trump in a hearing is a goddamned disgrace in the history of American government. There is no amount of hyperbole that can overshoot such bullshit from a potential justice spewed forth by a federal judge. Fuck him and fuck the GOP for entertaining this asshole.

Does not matter what I or anyone should feel about the accusations. This shit is fracturing our society, much less government; and furthermore, the GOP does not care. There were 23 other conservative judges they could confirm. Yet they anchor themselves to this beligerent person who acts as if he is entitled to the position. No, you're not. Act like you should hold the position as a federal appeals judge, much less a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. You want to proclaim a conspiracy? How about why Kavanaugh?. Here's one, protect absolute power by a party and this sham of a presidential administration, constitutional precedence be damned.

Edit: This is personal but I am ashamed that I ever registered as a Republican on my 18th birthday. I had aligned myself to more responsible fiscal and financial government spending and a small government. Granted I have gained a more progressive attitude as I have evolved into my middle-aged years; however, the intrusive social engineering Republicans have sought the past 20 years is disgusting. That party is now dead to me. If ever there was an example of why, this sideshow circus is it. awesome that your our willing to step up and admit your mistakes cheers to you. now take it to the next level, telll your friend and vote, and get your friends to vote as the prophet Dylan said, "the times they is a changing"the old white men in power are see in the sell by date for their bull shit approaching. this is their last stand. it's why they are so indigent and a angry. how dare you question me or my actions. they long for the times of mad men when their power was absolute. and women were no more than a nu-sense to be tolerated cook dinner and make babies
-louie

anduril
10-02-2018, 07:15 PM
old white men in power

Thats kinda racist.

they long for the times of mad men when their power was absolute. and women were no more than a nu-sense to be tolerated cook dinner and make babies

Islam?

anduril
10-02-2018, 07:23 PM
How many black men were unjustly lynched based on accusations by women?

Be careful where this road goes.

theimage13
10-02-2018, 07:30 PM
How many black men were unjustly lynched based on accusations by women?

Be careful where this road goes.

*facepalm*

allegate
10-02-2018, 07:30 PM
the purest conservative endgame argument: “Why Brett Kavanaugh Should be Confirmed to the Supreme Court Even if He’s Guilty.”

https://twitter.com/adamserwer/status/1047101008411791361

zero
10-02-2018, 08:18 PM
I seriously wonder how many current and former Supreme Court justices would pass muster using the criteria being imposed upon Kavanaugh. Or how many current and former members of Congress would pass the test. If the bar is set high enough then nobody will get in.

Mantra
10-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Yeah, what an unreasonably high bar we're trying to set here: no history of rape or assault. So much for the tolerant left.

zero
10-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Do any current or former justices or congress critters have a history of alleged rape or assault when they were in high school or college? Should they be removed from their position if they do?

ltrandazzo
10-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Do any current or former justices or congress critters have a history of alleged rape or assault when they were in high school or college? Should they be removed from their position if they do?

Yes.

zero
10-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Yes.

And history is destined to repeat itself. If great harm can be wrought upon an individual based upon unproven accusations, then we have failed as a tolerant society. Remember the witch trials? Due process is not perfect, but it does offer a modicum of protection for the innocent. I am simply flabbergasted with regards to the current polarized state of our country.

pulse
10-02-2018, 09:18 PM
I seriously wonder how many current and former Supreme Court justices would pass muster using the criteria being imposed upon Kavanaugh. Or how many current and former members of Congress would pass the test. If the bar is set high enough then nobody will get in.

All of them? Only Thomas has had an accusation of sexual harrassment. Though that isn't kosher, nor should it not be any less scorned, harrassment is not assault.

Did IQs suddenly drop with an outbreak of amnesia? We have had people step down in politics or lose appointment due to sexual misconduct even recently. I shouldn't even have to give examples. There's a plethora to google and choose from over the years however. Simply put, this is more than a temporary political seat. Again, for the 55927194 time. This is a lifetime appointment to SCOTUS and the candidate obviously has a problem with telling the truth. That may not be unusual for a poltician, but this is a position of higher standard and trust.

theimage13
10-02-2018, 09:22 PM

You know what, you're right. We should just lower the bar instead of demand better of people. That's the American spirit!

Wow.

I for one would LOVE to see every politician who is guilty of something get called out for it, voted out over it, and replaced by someone who isn't a criminal shitbag.

zero
10-02-2018, 09:36 PM
I for one would LOVE to see every politician who is guilty of something get called out for it, voted out over it, and replaced by someone who isn't a criminal shitbag.

I agree with that, for the most part. Convicted of a sex crime would not earn my vote, but convicted of possession of weed I might let slide. But that's not my point. Crucifying someone based upon an unproven accusation is a slippery slope and is something to be avoided.

Mantra
10-02-2018, 09:43 PM
All these right wingers keep acting like all decency has gone out the window and the whole SCOTUS nomination process is nothing but partisan battles now, but the gaping hole in their argument is that Neil Gorsuch just got approved one year ago.

aggroculture
10-02-2018, 09:53 PM
also, if they think the Democrats are merely strategizing, why are they not praising it? they were so proud of McConnell keeping Scalia's seat open for over a year... but if the other side tries to do it they're "pathetic"? these guys are a living breathing embodiment of bad faith

M1ke
10-02-2018, 10:42 PM
I agree with that, for the most part. Convicted of a sex crime would not earn my vote, but convicted of possession of weed I might let slide. But that's not my point. Crucifying someone based upon an unproven accusation is a slippery slope and is something to be avoided.

Part of what I find strange about this argument is that "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" isn't a standard that applies outside of criminal court.

In civil cases the standard is different. In a supreme court nomination the standard is different. The a public opinion case the standard is different.

Calling it crucifying someone is really conflating the point, I mean we recognize that you don't mean that literally, but it's different.

I remember working retail, and we had some thefts going on, and we knew it was a staff member, since things were going missing from areas that customers didn't have access to. We looked at the schedule, and figured out when the thefts were happening, and whose schedule it lined up with. We couldn't prove it was that person, but decided to let them go without cause, paid them more severance than they were owed under the law and never accused them of anything or told anyone what we suspected them of. We're pretty damn sure we got that right, because the thefts stopped after that, but we still can't prove they did anything, but even if we didn't this employee was new enough to only be owed about 2 weeks severance, and we paid them about 2 months, so they're still not really being destroyed by the job loss.

In a criminal case, if we get it wrong, someone's going to jail. In Kavanaugh's case, if we get it wrong, he just doesn't get to sit on the supreme court.

That's not destroying his life, or putting him in jail. That's making sure he's not one of 9 people who are privileged enough to get a spot for life on the highest court in the country.

The bar should be extra-ordinarily high for such a position.

zero
10-02-2018, 10:56 PM
In a criminal case, if we get it wrong, someone's going to jail. In Kavanaugh's case, if we get it wrong, he just doesn't get to sit on the supreme court.

That's not destroying his life, or putting him in jail. That's making sure he's not one of 9 people who are privileged enough to get a spot for life on the highest court in the country.

The bar should be extra-ordinarily high for such a position.

I agree with your statement to a certain extent. But setting the bar to include any and all accusations is going to far. There must at least be a preponderance of the evidence, which I think is the criteria for a civil case. And for Kavanaugh, it's more than the loss of a Supreme Court appointment. The fallout encompasses much more than that.

M1ke
10-02-2018, 11:12 PM
I agree with your statement to a certain extent. But setting the bar to include any and all accusations is going to far. There must at least be a preponderance of the evidence, which I think is the criteria for a civil case. And for Kavanaugh, it's more than the loss of a Supreme Court appointment. The fallout encompasses much more than that.

I think that we've got a preponderance of evidence that he's lied to the senate. That should be enough to disqualify him from the supreme court appointment.

The sexual assault allegations I would say the same thing. Her story is much more convincing than his. There is evidence to support her story being more credible including his yearbook records with obvious sexual innuendos that he's lied to the senate about. His story about how much he drank and what he did while drinking are far less believable as well.

I read something about harvard cancelling a teaching contract they had for him, which is fair too. Harvard is saying that they no longer feel comfortable having him teach a class, if he's not able to have enough trust to teach a class, how can we possibly trust him enough to sit on the supreme court?

anduril
10-03-2018, 06:50 AM
*facepalm*

What's facepalm worthy about what I said?

M1ke
10-03-2018, 07:46 AM
What's facepalm worthy about what I said?

**edit, I think I'd rather just say this:

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--7Fb2Idp9--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1508303203/production/designs/1980718_0.jpg

anduril
10-03-2018, 08:48 AM
**edit, I think I'd rather just say this:

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--7Fb2Idp9--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1508303203/production/designs/1980718_0.jpg

Thanks for the non answer. Your condescending attitude says a lot.

anduril
10-03-2018, 08:59 AM
And history is destined to repeat itself. If great harm can be wrought upon an individual based upon unproven accusations, then we have failed as a tolerant society. Remember the witch trials? Due process is not perfect, but it does offer a modicum of protection for the innocent. I am simply flabbergasted with regards to the current polarized state of our country.

The fact that two people facepalmed your post should be frightening. I guess they are ok with unproven accusations putting someone through Hell as long as it's someone they don't like.

sweeterthan
10-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Someone needs to read the entire sexual asshatery in the news thread.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4727-Sexual-Asshatery-in-the-News

M1ke
10-03-2018, 09:36 AM
The fact that two people facepalmed your post should be frightening. I guess they are ok with unproven accusations putting someone through Hell as long as it's someone they don't like.

Are we sure this guy's not working for a Russian Troll farm?

He's not coherent enough for it to be much else.

anduril
10-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Funny. I guess the fact that I'm bringing up a different point of view makes me a Russian troll.

pulse
10-03-2018, 11:12 AM

I read this as sarcasm and I do not agree with Anduril but the whole troll farm thing is a little below the belt.

Funny. I guess the fact that I'm bringing up a different point of view makes me a Russian troll.

Your different point of view is understood and I don't think anyone here wants to forego Kavanaugh's right to defend himself against the multiple sexual miscodunct accusations or convict him of guilt based on the court of public opinion. Kavanaugh's problem, however, is an inexcusable lack of honesty and trust to be a federal judge, much less lifetime SCOTUS judge. Can you not see that? The man appears to have perjured himself repeatedly during both hearings. His partisan rage and conspiracy theories he displayed during the hearing was also quite revealing and unbefitting any judge, much less a federal appeals one.

Patrick_Nicholas
10-03-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm somewhat unsure if I should post this here or in the Trump thread because of how I see a similarity between this and the Trump administration interfering with the Russia investigation. But since Trump is not mentioned by name and this by itself is more relevant to the Kavanaugh shitshow...

FBI Lacks White House Approval to Talk to Kavanaugh and Ford, Sources Say
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-03/fbi-said-to-lack-white-house-approval-to-talk-to-kavanaugh-ford?srnd=markets-vp

pulse
10-03-2018, 03:05 PM
https://apnews.com/cb53231a099640029c2b648824dd7d1c

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI is expected to send Congress a report on its revived sexual harassment investigation of Brett Kavanaugh as soon as Wednesday afternoon, Republican senators said of the pivotal document that could make or break his Supreme Court nomination.
GOP lawmakers emerging from a closed-door lunch said that if the report arrived later in the day, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell would trigger a process that could lead to a crucial initial vote Friday and a climactic confirmation roll call over the weekend. In the meantime, senators and a small number of top aides would be allowed to read the papers in a secure room in the Capitol complex.

Republicans are going to appoint him. It may come down to Pence's vote, but it's coming. They will not live it down either. It's one thing for there to be disagreement along party lines or a party to be scrutinized for their choices; however, I fully expect the GOP to look back on his appointment and point of history in regret, regardless of what laws and constitutional decisions he rules for in their favor, especially as they relate to this horrible administration.

aggroculture
10-03-2018, 03:35 PM
however, I fully expect the GOP to look back on his appointment and point of history in regret, regardless of what laws and constitutional decisions he rules for in their favor, especially as they relate to this horrible administration.

why is that? Is there a single Republican that looks back at GWB's stolen 2000 election with regret?

october_midnight
10-04-2018, 10:40 AM
In a stunning turn of events, a short while ago Senator Flake told reporters "We've seen no additional corroborating information."

Louie_Cypher
10-04-2018, 10:44 AM
total sham investigation talk to less than ten people these people have to go they no longer represent us women walk out protest
-louie

Narsil
10-04-2018, 11:54 AM
total sham investigation talk to less than ten people these people have to go they no longer represent us women walk out protest
-louie

I know lots of women who don't believe Dr. Ford and are angry about this whole charade.

Jinsai
10-04-2018, 11:56 AM
I know lots of women who don't believe Dr. Ford and are angry about this whole charade.

Are they republicans?

Narsil
10-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Are they republicans?

Not all of them.

Jinsai
10-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Not all of them.

The ones who aren't, what's their issue?

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:05 PM
The ones who aren't, what's their issue?

Their issue? Why does it have to be an issue that they don't believe her?

M1ke
10-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Their issue? Why does it have to be an issue that they don't believe her?

If they're going to take a position they should have some reason why they're taking that position.

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:30 PM
If they're going to take a position they should have some reason why they're taking that position.

Maybe because women can tell when other women are lying better than men can.

october_midnight
10-04-2018, 12:33 PM
I see we have yet to IP ban this 'anduril' clown?

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:34 PM
I see we have yet to IP ban this 'anduril' clown?

I'm sorry that I'm offering a different point of view. I guess that's called trolling in 2018.

Swykk
10-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Next username to be “Tom Bombadil’s Dick.” Your “point of view” is shitty.

I see Flake’s words were of course for show. I’m glad I didn’t fall for that. I am not excited to speak ill of the dead but I remember enough of McCain’s empty criticism of Trump. They’ll get him confirmed.

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:38 PM
My wife knew right away that Dr. Ford was lying. She pointed out how she couldn't even cry and was mocking her little girl voice. Kavanaugh actually showed emotion because he's being put through Hell simply based on the words of a woman without proof.

M1ke
10-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Next username to be “Tom Bombadil’s Dick.” Your “point of view” is shitty.

I see Flake’s words were of course for show. I’m glad I didn’t fall for that. I am not excited to speak ill of the dead but I remember enough of McCain’s empty criticism of Trump. They’ll get him confirmed.

Yeah, I didn't think it was likely that the republicans would have allowed for an investigation that could possible turn up anything. The FBI didn't even interview Dr Ford.

Instead of checking out Kavanaughs suitability for the court they're trying to paint the democrats as evil. Sadly, it'll probably play well with Trump's base and people who like lord of the rings too much to leave a message board after being shown the door.

Hate is a very strong emotion.

Swykk
10-04-2018, 12:44 PM
My wife knew right away that Dr. Ford was lying. She pointed out how she couldn't even cry and was mocking her little girl voice. Kavanaugh actually showed emotion because he's being put through Hell simply based on the words of a woman without proof.

Cool story, broski. Why don’t you just talk to her about it?

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it was likely that the republicans would have allowed for an investigation that could possible turn up anything. The FBI didn't even interview Dr Ford.

Instead of checking out Kavanaughs suitability for the court they're trying to paint the democrats as evil. Sadly, it'll probably play well with Trump's base and people who like lord of the rings too much to leave a message board after being shown the door.

Hate is a very strong emotion.

Hate is a strong emotion. It allows people to believe a woman making accusations on face value if the target is a Republican. The Democrats sat on this information for two months. Why not start an investigation then instead of at the last minute? There could have been a full investigation.

Narsil
10-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Cool story, broski. Why don’t you just talk to her about it?

Talk to my wife about what?

theimage13
10-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Talk to my wife about what?

About which Lord of the Rings sword you're going to name your third account after.

Jinsai
10-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Your wife mocked a woman claiming to have been sexually assaulted for not sufficiently crying enough? Is your wife... a republican?

october_midnight
10-04-2018, 01:02 PM
These clown shoes always do that...just spout their rhetoric that anyone with half a brain can read and say 'ummmmmmm....'

Patrick_Nicholas
10-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Okay, let's get back to Kavanaugh-related things.

To no one's surprise, the FBI "investigation" has turned out to be a show to get the Democrats to stop asking for one. Lots of people who volunteered to talk to the FBI about relevant information were ignored.

"...Despite President Trump’s outright lie when he said that the FBI would have “free reign” in their probe, [Deputy Press Secretary Raj] Shah told CNN that the White House had actually instructed the FBI to investigate what the Senate was “interested in,” later making clear that by the Senate he meant the Republican leadership of the Senate. ..."

https://washingtonpress.com/2018/10/04/white-house-just-confirmed-our-worst-fears-about-fbi-kavanaugh-report/

M1ke
10-04-2018, 01:50 PM

To no one's surprise, the FBI "investigation" has turned out to be a show to get the Democrats to stop asking for one. Lots of people who volunteered to talk to the FBI about relevant information were ignored.

https://washingtonpress.com/2018/10/04/white-house-just-confirmed-our-worst-fears-about-fbi-kavanaugh-report/

I kind of feel like in the Democrats questioning, when they repeatedly asked for an investigation into the allegations that was probably a weak response that they are going to be punished for soon. Only asking for an investigation was softer and has allowed the Republicans this farce to say "look, we gave you what you wanted, why aren't you happy now?". I mean, it was an obvious farce of an investigation, but asking for that instead of asking questions about his temperament, or for him to be removed as a candidate in favour of someone who doesn't come with this kind of baggage would have been a better response.

In an effort to appear less aggressive they seem to have left the republicans room to create the illusion that they're being reasonable.

Swykk
10-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Guys, Heitkamp is a no!

1047916605823492096 (https://twitter.com/senatorheitkamp/status/1047916605823492096?s=21)

theimage13
10-04-2018, 02:28 PM

I hate being right.

Here's hoping that the actual vote proves me wrong.

Deepvoid
10-04-2018, 02:48 PM
I hate being right.

Here's hoping that the actual vote proves me wrong.

Nah... Collins and Flake look like there are voting for him. I bet D Joe Manchin will vote for him as well.

Louie_Cypher
10-04-2018, 03:01 PM
iam going to do my best to stay out of partisan banter, look i don't believe all women should automatically be believed, they also should not be immediately dismissed, look we are undergoing a huge cultural shift in America, and having to wake up and look ourselves in the mirror, and it can be pretty damn ugly. look i never try to pin issues or problems on one source. a lot of things i approach the same way I way i approach my job. in penetration testing it's usually not one vulnerability but a group or cluster of things that result in systems issues or flaws. so when defining an attack surface or threat I use a method called "chaining" which is using not one tools but a group of tools in series of tools in conjunction to slowly by pass the defenses in place. so whereas much as i would like trump i don't think it's all his fault although he hasn't helped anything. look 8 years of a smart reflective president. has taken it's toll. the average fox viewer sees their world being ripped apart. remember allies O'rilley. all had accusations of sexual misconduct against them. most old school conservatives believe their right and should never be questioned and no exaggeration god ordained right. and no woman or anyone with skin darker than a paper bag is going to deny them of that so shut up and do as your told
-louie

ltrandazzo
10-04-2018, 03:08 PM
This is worth flagging. Also, some folks were throwing early parades for Flake last week but this takes real courage from Heidi Heitkamp. She's trending down in the polls and this may cost her ND, but she did the right thing here.

theimage13
10-04-2018, 03:55 PM
iam going to do my best to stay out of partisan banter, look i don't believe all women should automatically be believed,

I'm going to stop you right there. All women should automatically be believed. Period.

What that does not mean is that all accused should immediately be found guilty and run out of town / jailed / lynched / whatever.

What that does mean is that we should treat every single claim as though it is true, investigate it, and do our due diligence. IF a woman is lying through her teeth about it (and I reiterate, this is rare), maybe that investigation takes all of 30 seconds before her story unravels. Whatever happens afterwards depends on what information comes to light. But to do anything else is to say "we don't believe you".

sonic_discord
10-04-2018, 04:12 PM

If I had the ability to facepalm your post, I would. First off, I'm sorry, but your wife doesn't know shit. That is her simply her opinion and she (like 99.99% of the world) is purely speculating. Also, mocking the voice of a victim of sexual abuse (even if it was 36 years ago) is morally fucked up. I partially agree that IF Kavanaugh isn't guilty of these accusations, it would be hell to go through this and would cause a lot of anger and pain for him and his family (who are innocent in this despite what he did or didn't do). BUT, even if he were innocent (in my opinion, he's clearly not), his statements as a candidate for Supreme Court Justice should be bipartisan, which they very much were not (this article articulates this sentiment rather well (https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/)). Regardless of all of that, if the guy is as innocent as he claims, then why the hell didn't he (and all of his republican allies) agree to the FBI investigation immediately to clear his name? His aversion to the investigation is a strong implication that he has something to hide. It seems to me that the republicans are just pissed because this is their guy and he happens to believe that the current president cannot be indicted and he also seems to want to overturn Roe vs. Wade and make abortions illegal. Not to mention the fact that his confirmation would cement the court majority conservatives have dreamed of. The combination of those things makes them rock hard and willing to do whatever is necessary to push him through and get him confirmed ASAP. If Kavanaugh were a democrat, they'd want his head on a platter. When Al Franken's accusations arose, his democratic peers called on him to resign and he did. The end. However, like so many things these days, it's party over country for the republicans. Facts don't matter, they don't want an investigation, and their supporters don't seem to be bothered by multiple sexual assault allegations. The fact that Trump is still the president despite all of his sexual assault and rape allegations and the fact that the infamous leaked Billy Bush tape didn't put a grinding halt to his presidential campaign is all the proof you need.

Aladdinsanity
10-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Man, what is it with Canadians with neo-fascist sympathies always trying to insert their two cents into U.S. policy? Stefan Molyneux, Gavin McInnes, Lauren Southern, Jordan Peterson, Steven Crowder, this asshole a few posts above...

Fuck off, how aboot?

Louie_Cypher
10-05-2018, 07:47 AM
i think i heard over 600 can't remember it was a really big number of law professors saying NO! but like all things trump they go forward anyways. he'll always have a stain and go to work knowing his fellow college neither like or respect him. the state of our country and saying we're a democracy is kind of laughable, did call my reps, but unless your holding a check with a lot of zeros you will be unheard
-louie

ryanmcfly
10-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Question, wouldn't this be witness tampering? https://www.wsj.com/articles/friend-of-dr-ford-felt-pressure-to-revisit-statement-1538715152?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/Okt31TR5Jd

Deepvoid
10-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Flake is a yes. Murkowski is a no.
Collins will announce at 3pm.

Louie_Cypher
10-05-2018, 01:06 PM
trumps tweet blame soros again they really need a new bogeyman how can this guy still be rich or even has a job since he's behind every left wing confederacy and constantly bussing and paying protesters all over the country
-louie

Deepvoid
10-05-2018, 02:46 PM
The way Collins is speaking right now... she sounds like a yes, which should close the deal.

Edit: Manchin is a yes. Kavanaugh will be confirmed
tomorrow

ltrandazzo
10-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Everyone who can vote in the US needs to double check and make sure you're registered because deadlines in most states are next week. After that, get three of your friends who tweet, post on Facebook and whatever else that don't show up for each elections registered and make sure their asses are at the polls November 6th. No excuses. If we fuck this up and don't take anything back this Fall, this feeling that many of us are feeling right now about this bullshit will continue and get worse.

https://votesaveamerica.com/

ltrandazzo
10-05-2018, 03:24 PM

bobbie solo
10-05-2018, 03:36 PM
The things I want to say about Flake & Collins right now. I will edit myself to "grandstanding, egomaniacal cowards". At least Manchin, who I want to spit in the face of as well, didn't turn his pussy coward vote into a public circus for the last week. I wish West Virginians had given his Justice Dem primary opponent a better look. That woman was great.

GulDukat
10-05-2018, 07:50 PM
What an awful, deppressing day.

pulse
10-05-2018, 09:05 PM
You guys may not be old enough to remember the Clarence Thomas hearings in 1991, but it resulted in “the Year of the Woman” in 1992, with a large number of women elected to Congress, AND George H.W. Bush lost his 2nd term.

These things come with consequences.

Also, the U.S. Supreme Court is still NOT partisan. It’s liberal or conservative in interpreting decisions, but it’s not partisan. Be assured that the other sitting justices, especially Chief Justice Roberts, will maintain the integrity of the high court. They always whip new justices into shape. They’re still doing it with Justice Gorsuch. SCOTUS justices aren’t pawns. The other justices will be sure to keep the integrity of the Court. THAT I am sure of.

As has been said: Elections matter. Go vote.

video

video

You should watch the entirety of Thomas's hearing. He may have very well been lying in defense of Hill's accusations of sexual harrassment, but at least he was respectful and befitting of someone's stature as a federal judge, carrying himself with dignity and answering questions thoroughly.

Deepvoid
10-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Murkowski will vote "present" and not an actual "no". This is done so another Rep. can miss the vote (daughter's wedding) without affecting the outcome. She could still vote no and have Pence break the tie but that would also open the door for Manchin to change his vote at the last second and defeat the nomination.

M1ke
10-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Murkowski will vote "present" and not an actual "no". This is done so another Rep. can miss the vote (daughter's wedding) without affecting the outcome. She could still vote no and have Pence break the tie but that would also open the door for Manchin to change his vote at the last second and defeat the nomination.

This all sounds like wishful thinking at this point.

I mean, I want to believe it too, but I think this ship has sailed.

Magtig
10-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Collins sure does love listening to herself talk, doesn't she.

pulse
10-05-2018, 11:57 PM
Manchin isn’t voting no. Kavanaugh is going to be confirmed.

Conservatives on the SCOTUS was guaranteed when Clinton lost. Just pray the the Notorious RBG lives a lot longer.

What sucks for Ginsberg is the enormous pressure on her for the remainder of her career. She already deserves a retirement and rest. SCOTUS judges have busy schedules even if they have a large supporting cast. Life sure as fuck isn't fair.

Edit: Ginsburg

Sutekh
10-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Have you seen those girls on youtube who sing pro kavanaugh songs? Don't look it up

I said DON'T

Louie_Cypher
10-06-2018, 01:11 PM
look i am so tired of feeling triggered angry about shit like this want to go into a state of suspended animation until this whole era is done just tired of seeing the gop run roughshod over everything that is decent. thank god pot is leagle here it'd my only defense. look I'm a white guy it shouldn't matter. just seeing how bad our system is being abused is frustrating. look i wish i didn't have an empathy gene but unfortunately i do. look try to volunteer for justice democrats they're progressives who don't take PAC money, i feel like we're moving into year zero and no one gives us fuck, i hope i can mantain my sanity until we can see something close to normal again until then " I love you sweet leaf"
-louie

Demogorgon
10-06-2018, 03:31 PM
It's official. Kavanaugh is now confirmed for the Supreme Court. Trump will be signing off on it later today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-confirms-brett-kavanaugh-as-a-supreme-court-justice/ar-BBO0Yf1?ocid=ientp&OCID=ansmsnnews11

Patrick_Nicholas
10-06-2018, 03:50 PM
We are now officially fucked. The only thing left for us to do now is vote blue in November.

sweeterthan
10-06-2018, 03:54 PM
I hate everyone who supports this shit.

Conan The Barbarian
10-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Gotta get those kids who complain about all this off twitter and into the polls.

Louie_Cypher
10-06-2018, 04:55 PM
can only hope this motivates people for November, but i doubt it
-louie

ltrandazzo
10-06-2018, 05:06 PM
can only hope this motivates people for November, but i doubt it
-louie

Pessimism gets us nowhere. Remember the year of the woman after Anita Hill. Remember that we can change a LOT in a month.

richardp
10-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Pessimism gets us nowhere. Remember the year of the woman after Anita Hill. Remember that we can change a LOT in a month.

Yep. I don't think anyone is done fighting Kavanaugh just because he is now confirmed. I think it's possible that should Democrats gain enough power back, and if we somehow get a Democrat elected in 2020, there's room to go in and impeach Kavanaugh from the Supreme Court. Hell, they may even find a way to nullify Gorsuch too, since his was such an unconstitutional nomination.

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I don't know man I cant just fucking sit here and think about all the shit that can go so wrongly with Kavanaugh on the court. You gotta try to think of all the things that can be done still to rectify this. And also daydream about all of the fucking razor sharp shade that RBG is going to throw at that motherfucker.

Jinsai
10-07-2018, 12:10 AM
fuck Joe Manchin.

chuckrh
10-07-2018, 06:31 AM
we are so fucked. the only positive is this could be another weapon to get the republicans back to the fringe where they belong if they have to exist. the corporations are in rape & pillage mode. the huge 1 i work for just announced how they are screwing us on the medical insurance. same day amazon announced about how they are raising minimum wage in their distribution centers to an amount that still isn't really a livable wage. what was kept in the background is they are taking the money from other workers. the stock market went way up the next day. coincidence? i think not. with the supreme court shit, we are now at rollerball (the original). not to mention what germany was trying to do pre WW2. sad & scary days with more to come.

theimage13
10-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Merrick Garland is so fucking ethical that he has recused himself from overseeing the ethics complaints against Kavanaugh, presumably (though not publicly stated) due to the conflict of interest involved in overseeing complaints about the guy who stole his job.

Louie_Cypher
10-07-2018, 10:18 AM
i think something that has been lost is kav's, strong corporate leanings and what it means for getting money out of politics while i feel very strongly about women's right i am more concerned that only the rich and well connected are the only ones that have a say in our government this was clear in the protest, where our elected officials shunned protesters and ran to hide, this is not right, is the only way to talk to my representative to 60k plus to go to some dinner. that's now way to run a country especially one that supposedly pride itself on democracy. sad times
-louie

theimage13
10-07-2018, 12:00 PM
i think something that has been lost is kav's, strong corporate leanings and what it means for getting money out of politics while i feel very strongly about women's right i am more concerned that only the rich and well connected are the only ones that have a say in our government this was clear in the protest, where our elected officials shunned protesters and ran to hide, this is not right, is the only way to talk to my representative to 60k plus to go to some dinner. that's now way to run a country especially one that supposedly pride itself on democracy. sad times
-louie

I've long ago abandoned hope that in my lifetime I'll feel like I live in a democratic society. This is an oligarchy through and through. Has been since before this administration and it's only getting deeper entrenched as such. Maybe some day it'll change, but for now, I have no reason to think it will - even if there's a "blue wave".

Deepvoid
10-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Gotta get those kids who complain about all this off twitter and into the polls.

Good luck with that. We just had our provincial election here in Quebec and we had one of the lowest turnout (66%) all while we had the higher number of people complaining on facebook and stuff.

Demogorgon
10-07-2018, 12:44 PM
That's what happens when almost an entire generation reaches young adulthood believing that arguing and complaining on social media counts as political activism.

elevenism
10-07-2018, 02:20 PM
It REALLY sucks that there was no way to corroborate Ford's story.

I believe her. BUT, I mean, I hate to say this, but I understand why people were skeptical. Hell, I was skeptical until I saw her speak. She's either telling the truth or is a fucking MKULTRA Manchurian candidate :p (That being said, with the extreme tribalism, I doubt a fucking VIDEO of the incident would have changed the opinion of the fascists...I mean Nazis...sorry, REPUBLICANS. THAT'S it.)

We're in trouble, y'all.

pulse
10-07-2018, 02:35 PM
To not exercise your right to vote is asinine. Though I have little faith in the majority of humans to even realize that literally thousands of years have passed between civilizations in human history without any right of representation within their governance. Nobody has any fucking stance to bitch or even say one goddamned word when they are eligible and yet fail to exercise that right.

Louie_Cypher
10-07-2018, 03:34 PM

I believe her. BUT, I mean, I hate to say this, but I understand why people were skeptical. Hell, I was skeptical until I saw her speak. She's either telling the truth or is a fucking MKULTRA Manchurian candidate :p (That being said, with the extreme tribalism, I doubt a fucking VIDEO of the incident would have changed the opinion of the fascists...I mean Nazis...sorry, REPUBLICANS. THAT'S it.)

We're in trouble, y'all. i very sure the could have rameriraz cold have FBI talk to less then half the people that were trying to contact them. from what I read 20 reached out to them they talk to 9 i believe this was a total ram through day one. i guess the turtle McConnell told trump to pick
someone else but trump as usual thought he was his get out of jail free card the dean of Yale law called it an American
-louie

GulDukat
10-07-2018, 03:50 PM

We're in trouble, y'all.I believe her, but that aside, Kavanaugh's behavior during the hearing, and lying, should disqualify him from the Supreme Court.

Mantra
10-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Man...I feel like something has broken inside of me from all of this.

The incredible amount of harm and oppression that this supreme court is going to inflict upon this country is going to be horrific. This has all come from a political party built on an ideology of violent white male dominance combined with totally unlimited corporate supremacy. They do not care one bit about democracy, which is why they have illegally seized power through gerrymandering, abolishing the VRA, hacking, voter suppression, collaboration with foreign governments, etc. They don't give a flying fuck about the law, they simply want power by any means, and once they get it, they just rewrite all the rules and entrench themselves even deeper. The Republicans are essentially an insurgent party that has stolen every branch of our government, and now that they have an unlimited amount of power, they will continue pillaging our society.

And I'm fucking sick and tired of weak liberals who don't have the strength or the brains or the moral integrity to stand up and wage open warfare like they're supposed to. Where is their capacity for pain and outrage? Why are they incapable of producing the kind of aggression and urgency that this historical moment demands? Instead they just sit on their assess and passively legitimize all of the corruption, the violence, the nightmare. And all of this is done out of some horrifically misplaced notion of "fairness," as if the Republicans are a legitimate political party and we need to take them seriously. The only legitimate support that this party could scrape together from the public was obtained through propaganda and conspiracy theories. I mean, Trump first built his career as a Birther, and yet they just allow all of this fucking shit to continue. They've handed our government over to these fucking freaks and they don't seem to care what happens or who gets hurt.

theimage13
10-07-2018, 05:50 PM

We're in trouble, y'all.

I follow you. But here's the thing: I get why people *were* skeptical before details started coming out. Before testimony occurred. Before people were coming out left and right saying "hello, FBI, we'd like to have a word with you involving this (so-called shame of an) investigation". If you're STILL skeptical about it...well, fuck you.

But like you said, even IF you don't believe her, his CURRENT behavior is 100% proof that he is blatantly and utterly unqualified to serve on a fucking tennis court, let alone the Supreme Court.

And the more I think about it these days, "Supreme Court" and "Supreme Leader" are sounding too similar. It's creepy.

aggroculture
10-08-2018, 08:32 AM

We're in trouble, y'all.

There is no doubt in my mind that she's telling the truth. The only people who are "skeptical" are people who want to be skeptical. And why do they want to be skeptical? Because they're Trumpers, and ultimately they don't care. What the GOP did is say "OK, even if he did all that, enacting our agenda is more important." They basically said the conservative agenda is more important than caring about rape, which is consistent with their politics in general.

What amazed me is the amount of conservatives, of republicans coming out saying "No, this is despicable: I agree with Kavanaugh's politics, but he's completely unsuitable for this job" - this shows us how far gone the GOP and Trump are. We've gone over the cliff a while ago and now we're in freefall.

Sutekh
10-08-2018, 09:23 AM
even jordan peterson think Kavanaugh's appointment is inappropriate

as they say on the internet, let that sink in

Demogorgon
10-08-2018, 02:06 PM
With the FBI report "clearing" Kavanaugh (and i say that with huge sarcastic air quotes), it's not a surprise to me that Trump is super happy with Rosenstein after all: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/after-flap-trump-says-he-has-no-plans-to-fire-rosenstein/ar-BBO6cHV?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Louie_Cypher
10-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Technically, Gorsuch stole his job.

But the real problem, here, is people putting POWER over people.

G and I were paying a bill at the marina in Wisconsin the other day and a dockmate was there, and he's a really nice guy but he's a kinda stereotypical Chicago Italian and he is admittedly right-wing (primarily relative to paying too much taxes in Chicago), so he blurts something to the effect of "Well, Kavanaugh did this when he was 17, but that was a long time ago, so I dunno ..." and I said (trying not to get too political with dockmates that you have to live near every fucking day in what amounts to a floating expensive trailer park), "well, I guess legal experts' biggest problem isn't what he did when he was 17 but how he handled himself during the hearing" ...

and this woman over on the other side of the counter, a boat owner I do not know, have never seen in my life, LUNGES forward onto the counter, with this look on her face I will NEVER forget, this ANGER, and she yells at me, "WELL, ISN'T HE ALLOWED TO DEFEND HIMSELF?!?!?!"

And I remained calm and said something like, "well, in law, it's pretty stiff, like really really old-fashioned stiff, and that hearing was really a job interview ..." and then Tony says, "Yeah, that's really true, I can see where they're coming from ..."

And this woman on the other side of the counter rolls her eyes, slams her hands down on the counter, huffs loudly, and walks off to the ladies room.

So I look over at Tony's wife, Debbie, standing next to me, and she's smiling, like, wtf, and I say, I was in law for a long time, law is, like, dude, totally anal retentive, if a lawyer went to an interview and answered a question with "DO YOU DRINK BEER?" they for sure wouldn't get the job.

So, here I was, being AS NON-POLITICAL AS I POSSIBLY COULD BE IN THIS SITUATION, and this woman still had a fucking breakdown defending Kavanaugh.

A FEMALE!!

It was really disturbing. I said to G this morning, what if I'd been a victim of sexual assault? Do these pro-Kavanaugh people who go around trying to look at "his side" of things ever think about whom they're talking to? Who this is triggering? Do they have ANY empathy for anyone besides him? They think only of his family and him? Dude, he wasn't going to PRISON. The worst that could happen to him is that HE'D LOSE A POTENTIAL JOB. Big fucking deal.

Meanwhile, people across the country, primarily women, are yet again being told that this shit don't matter. MY HUSBAND has been way more upset about this than me, for weeks. I just kept saying, you know, what's gonna happen is that he's gonna get confirmed, because that's what always fucking happens in this country.

Although, I do see a lot of positives from this. I see that a woman was able to testify, respectfully. I see that an FBI investigation DID happen. Sure, it wasn't the extent that everybody wanted, but even a really big FBI investigation wasn't going to lead to Kavanaugh being charged criminally, because prosecutors will tell you that because nobody knows where it happened, when it happened, and there is no evidence or witnesses, no prosecutor will proceed. They proceeded with Cosby because of actual evidence.

But all of these protests and people feeling like maybe another "year of the woman" might happen or maybe the people TAKING BACK POWER might happen, that would be something really good.

That being said, I was HORRIFIED that this circus sideshow happened like it did. I was reading on Twitter for DAYS that Feinstein had "a letter" that said some damning stuff about Kavanaugh and people were "demanding" that she release it. How they knew about it, I don't know. I don't think it was from her office. I do think Dr. Ford's lawyers were pro bono assholes who didn't serve her well. I don't understand what Dr. Ford wanted by sending a letter but not wanting to have her identity known, other than perhaps in inside investigation with her remaining anonymous; WHICH SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. But, nobody suggested that. Somebody should have done a forensic interview immediately. Instead, her lawyers did a polygraph, which is useless. She should NOT have had to testify in public before the Senate Judiciary Committee in a sideshow on television. She should have been able to remain anonymous to the public. The whole thing was bullshit. Total bullshit. It all made me (and millions of others) have an upset stomach for days.

Chuck Grassley isn't even a LAWYER, and he's 85. How the fuck does a guy who isn't even a LAWYER end up as CHAIRMAN of the Senate JUDICIARY Committee? How does one who isn't a lawyer ADVISE AND CONSENT on a United States Supreme Court justice? He didn't even go to LAW SCHOOL. Fucking Orrin Hatch (WHO IS 84) was shown on TV with SOMEBODY ELSE DIALING HIS FUCKING IPHONE. He's so old, he doesn't know how to use his phone. Chuck Grassley sent out a Tweet to Judge Kavanaugh that was MEANT TO BE AN EMAIL (https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1043344767684366336). He doesn't know the difference?

HOW THE FUCK ARE THESE OLD GUYS STILL IN THE SENATE? WE KNOW THE ANSWER. great post look i try not to be agest, but i do believe we should should have an age limit on senators this was evident during the Facebook hearings, i am sick and tired of out of touch people authoring our laws. i personally believe 65 should be the cut off age look in the private sector this is age which you our forced to retire. why should our government be any different
-louie

theimage13
10-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Chicago Tribune columnist Rex Huppke:

Kavanaugh, Trump and the right's endless fear of a changing world (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-met-kavanaugh-trump-supreme-court-huppke-20181007-story.html)

And now, the new fear: that they'll get caught. That they'll be called out for the horrifically inappropriate things they've done, or enabled, in their lives. And that maybe, god forbid, they'll even end up being punished for them if they're deserving of it.

I'm with Rex: I'm not perfect. I had an absolutely horrid "sense of humor" in my younger years that, quite honestly, I regret now. I wish the #metoo movement had happened when I was a kid. My parents taught me not to be a bully, but that was a vague lesson. I wish my mom had sat me down and explained to me why she doesn't go for walks at night, even in our "safe suburban neighborhood". I wish she'd taught me that nothing sexist could ever rightfully be called a "joke". The epiphanies I've had over the last probably 4-5 years about what women go through, and what men do to cause that, are crushing.

And now, more and more people are afraid of having to come to terms with - or being called out on - the things they're guilty of. And that's driving the country to elect presidents and, by extension, supreme court justices, who will do everything in their power to take them back to the "good old days" where these so-called "men" could expect their obedient wives to be ready with dinner when the work day is over. And as a man, that scares the hell out of me. I can't even imagine how it feels for women.

pulse
10-09-2018, 04:40 PM
The sad reality is the enormous difficulty in trying to reason with the Trump base and their us vs them mindset. That article above hit the nail on the head. The wacko social engineering and mental hardwiring thanks to the huge following of personalities like Hannity and Limbaugh have done so much damage. They stay outraged. They have a zero tolerance for opposing views and are tribal as hell. It has become a fan base. They are literally worse than sports fanaticsm thanks to a steady diet of misinformation and outright implanting of opinionated bullshit and false propaganda.

The only way is for everyone who still has some goddamned common sense and ethics about them to vote. I can only hope that numbers force change.

theimage13
10-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I saw that a few days ago. It's depressing as fuck. My better half is an extremely outspoken feminist and a great communicator, so she's shed a TON of light on the experiences women have, how it affects their entire lives down to stupid things like walking from the door to the car after work, etc. I hate that that's the world women live in. I hate that, in my own small ways, I've contributed to that. And now, I really, really hate that men in power are actively fighting to KEEP it that way, instead of acknowledging the problem and trying to do something about it. It makes my blood boil.

october_midnight
10-10-2018, 01:53 PM
Huge shocker. FBI Director confirms that the White House limited the scope of the FBI investigation. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/10/fbi-director-confirms-that-white-house-limited-scope-of-kavanaugh-investigation/)

Patrick_Nicholas
10-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Huge shocker. FBI Director confirms that the White House limited the scope of the FBI investigation. (https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/10/fbi-director-confirms-that-white-house-limited-scope-of-kavanaugh-investigation/)

Looks like another director's head is going to be on the chopping block. If Trump were to fire two FBI directors in less than two years, it will be even more glaringly obvious that something isn't quite right with him.

M1ke
10-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Looks like another director's head is going to be on the chopping block. If Trump were to fire two FBI directors in less than two years, it will be even more glaringly obvious that something isn't quite right with him.

Confirming the obvious.

It's not so much political theatre as it is the laziest most incompetent attempt at looking legitimate ever.

allegate
10-10-2018, 09:37 PM
That's what happens when almost an entire generation reaches young adulthood believing that arguing and complaining on social media counts as political activism.

Can I interest you in a book?

https://images.penguinrandomhouse.com/cover/9780345807298

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1050214072438931456

Mother fuck.

thelastdisciple
10-10-2018, 11:55 PM
This was made in response to comments from Trump relating to the Kavanaugh accusations and recent events overall.

So good!

Here's a link if the embed fails: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1049215347025465344