PDA

View Full Version : COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Esperanzan
12-15-2018, 01:44 AM
Now we just need a setlist.fm update with the full set, I need to bask in its glory.

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 01:44 AM
As expected JLYI with Mike G. Into more HTDA!

Followed up with La Mer followed by a REWORKED IN THIS TWILIGHT (still with Mike G!)

Heh, and I only just posted in the Top 10 NIN Songs thread earlier about it prior to any knowledge about the piano being there.

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 01:46 AM
Now we just need a setlist.fm update with the full set, I need to bask in its glory.

I have been sitting here refreshing that bad boy for the last hour lol.

Dryalex12
12-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Setlist.Fm is somewhat damaged at the moment.

fillow
12-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Mike Garson was a guest at the Pumpkins show in LA only a few days ago. Just sayin'.
Called iiiiiitttttt

suprefan
12-15-2018, 02:03 AM
Damn. So they almost played two full hours tonight?

Song wise its the same amount, its just having ones that take longer which stretch it out. Also, it mightve been a night where he just took his sweet time. That was the one benefit of just having free reign over the venue is not having a clock to limit anything.

Called iiiiiitttttt

He does live here, just like Gary Numan does.

Sarah K
12-15-2018, 02:29 AM
Full set.

https://i.imgur.com/3jqjyMl.jpg

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Full set.

https://i.imgur.com/3jqjyMl.jpg

Looks like they forgot to put Burn and Copy Of A on setlist.fm.

Does this all sound accurate as I've typed it up? -

http://www.nin.wiki/2018/12/14_Los_Angeles,_CA

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Full video/concert of the 10/10 show in Washington, DC for anyone that cares.
Pretty good setlist. Starting with Home and going into Somewhat Damaged is VERY strange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Q42K7sV3E&t=111s

1) Home
2) Somewhat Damaged
3) Wish
4) 1,000,000
5) Letting You
6) The Frail
7) The Wretched
8) Find My Way
9) The Perfect Drug
10) Shit Mirror
11) Ahead of Ourselves
12) God Break Down the Door
13) Closer
14) The Becoming
15) Me, I'm Not
16) Gave Up
17) The Hand That Feeds
18) Head Like A Hole
Encore
19) All the Love in the World
20) Over and Out
21) Hurt

Findus
12-15-2018, 02:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvH4LGOGJLU

And more:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBXf30IV-VI6u5m-ZUtkEA

Including a very talky Trent before Just Like You Imagined, with Mike Garson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Oua44Zp-I

TheRealNs1
12-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Today is one of those days I truly appreciate being in Los Angeles. ONTO #6!

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 03:03 AM
Here's the reworked In this twilight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbQdTirHrQ

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 03:08 AM
Looks like they forgot to put Burn and Copy Of A on setlist.fm.

Does this all sound accurate as I've typed it up? -

http://www.nin.wiki/2018/12/14_Los_Angeles,_CA

Updated tour stats to include tonight's adventures:

http://www.nin.wiki/Cold_And_Black_And_Infinite_Tour#Song_Performance_ Statistics

TheRealNs1
12-15-2018, 03:10 AM
Hi, my name is Ns1 and I’m addicted to pretty lights and amps turned up to 11.

https://i.imgur.com/6q5ayj7.gif

Sarah K
12-15-2018, 03:23 AM
That new In This Twilight is crushing me. Maaaaaaan. </3

WorzelG
12-15-2018, 03:27 AM
Can’t wait to hear what Mike Garson adds to those songs considering how great his JLYI was back in 2009

Esperanzan
12-15-2018, 03:32 AM
That new In This Twilight is crushing me. Maaaaaaan. </3

In a good or bad way? Haven’t heard it yet and people seem divided on it.

Sarah K
12-15-2018, 03:36 AM
In a good or bad way? Haven’t heard it yet and people seem divided on it.

I love it - It made me cry. A lot. I adore that song, and I have only gotten to see it live one time. I love this new arrangement, as it really highlights Trent's current strengths. The addition of Garson on the piano made it even better for my tastes. But it definitely will not be for everyone.

Gonna go to bed and cry some more now!

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 03:45 AM
Haven’t heard it yet and people seem divided on it.

But it definitely will not be for everyone.

I posted the video, it's at the top of this page if you want to hear it.

I personally didn't like it. Not a fan myself. But it's cool to see him try something new, I like the idea of reworked songs. Just sounded off to me. Probaly because I'm not used to it. Maybe it sounded better live.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-15-2018, 03:50 AM
I am a super fan of the live version of Lits tour with the zero sum outro, that version is perfect for me, it's kind of sad but at the same time gives me hope, and I like this new version, sounds catchy and happier

Esperanzan
12-15-2018, 04:11 AM
Damn, just listened to it. Almost like a jazz/lounge version; I love it. Really soothing. The little guitar part in the chorus is beautiful.

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 04:13 AM
Here's the reworked In this twilight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORbQdTirHrQ

Finally. FINALLY evidence that Still 2.0 is long overdue! Holy crap.

TheRealNs1
12-15-2018, 04:15 AM
I posted the video, it's at the top of this page if you want to hear it.

I personally didn't like it. Not a fan myself. But it's cool to see him try something new, I like the idea of reworked songs. Just sounded off to me. Probaly because I'm not used to it. Maybe it sounded better live.

Sounded like hot fire to me. I dunno, I feel like if you like Sanctified 2.0, you’d like In This Twlight 2.0.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-15-2018, 04:20 AM
That new In This Twilight is fucking beautiful. God dammit. I can't let myself miss another run of these LA shows. Thanks to everyone providing videos and updates for all of us that made a massive mistake in not going! :)

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 04:23 AM

Or better yet, a whole TOUR devoted to reworked/softer/still type of songs.
Could you imagine... Trent in his 60s...
"An evening with Trent Reznor playing classic songs reimagined" in nice seated theaters, which is basically just him and a piano and maybe Ilan Rubin to do some percussion and Robin Finck to do some of the acoustics. Throw in the odd Mike Garson appearance.

They could bring back the piano version of non-entity.

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 04:24 AM
That new In This Twilight is fucking beautiful. God dammit. I can't let myself miss another run of these LA shows. Thanks to everyone providing videos and updates for all of us that made a massive mistake in not going! :)

I made a massive mistake not going to the "final shows" in 2009, and now I made another massive mistake not going to LA for the final shows of this tour once again.
Next time I shall learn from my mistakes!

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-15-2018, 04:26 AM
I made a massive mistake not going to the "final shows" in 2009, and now I made another massive mistake not going to LA for the final shows of this tour once again.

You and me BOTH. I've already started stashing money away for an emergency NIN fund. No joke. Gotta start somewhere.

Esperanzan
12-15-2018, 04:31 AM
That JYLI sounds a tad under-rehearsed, Robin doesn't quite nail the guitar and some of Garson's playing is a little strange. Still sounds freaking amazing and if they return to it tomorrow night it could be better than the 2009 performances.

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 04:38 AM
That JYLI sounds a tad under-rehearsed, Robin doesn't quite nail the guitar and some of Garson's playing is a little strange. Still sounds freaking amazing and if they return to it tomorrow night it could be better than the 2009 performances.

Had the same thoughts when the song started up. It sounds off at first, but it gets better as the song goes on. Guessing they didn't have a lot of time between shows to rehearse it. May have been a last minute addition the day before the show. Trent seems to like to keep everyone on the seat of their pants until show time it seems, scrapping fully blown rehearsed production sets mere days/hours before showtime.

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 05:10 AM
Trent seems to like to keep everyone on the seat of their pants until show time it seems, scrapping fully blown rehearsed production sets mere days/hours before showtime.

Now if only Till would get like that with Rammstein.

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 05:11 AM

My thoughts also, but still badass.

Frozen Beach
12-15-2018, 05:57 AM
I'm pretty sure most of Mike Garson's playing in general is improv based. Sometimes it's not the best, but when it's on, it's absolutely amazing.

sweeterthan
12-15-2018, 06:38 AM

I donít know how I feel about this version. I imagine itís different when youíre there versus watching a phone video. ITT is a rather perfect nin song so Iím not sure why they did this other than coz Garson was there and they could. I will say his vocals sound so good on this video it makes me long for the noisy, original version. (It is NOT too noisy!) Maybe my opinion will change after a few listens or maybe hearing a different recording.

StockAvuryah
12-15-2018, 06:39 AM
Hot damn what a show. If the main part wasn't incredible enough, that encore.. If there isn't a live dvd of this tour we need to do it ourselves

roolfdriht
12-15-2018, 07:11 AM
I donít know how I feel about this version. I imagine itís different when youíre there versus watching a phone video. ITT is a rather perfect nin song so Iím not sure why they did this other than coz Garson was there and they could. I will say his vocals sound so good on this video it makes me long for the noisy, original version. (It is NOT too noisy!) Maybe my opinion will change after a few listens or maybe hearing a different recording.

Iím in the same camp - wish I liked it more on first listen but going to try hard to come around eventually.

I find it ironic that Trent derides the studio version as too noisy while implicitly sanctioning Garsonís improv here, which to my ears is much less complementary (ie, noisier). The absence of the Zero-Sum outro also helped me realize that at least 50% of my love for the LITS rendition is tied to that alone.

sweeterthan
12-15-2018, 07:25 AM
Iím in the same camp - wish I liked it more on first listen but going to try hard to come around eventually.

I find it ironic that Trent derides the studio version as too noisy while implicitly sanctioning Garsonís improv here, which to my ears is much less complementary (ie, noisier). The absence of the Zero-Sum outro also helped me realize that at least 50% of my love for the LITS rendition is tied to that alone.

Maybe itís ok if we donít love this version. He says at the beginning that he doesnít know what itís gonna be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max
12-15-2018, 07:29 AM
I like the direction ITT is heading in here. I do think a stripped down version is the way to go. I think the piano needs to be addressed a little differently though. Mike is gifted, it the style there is like lounge music at a hotel bar or something. Like this would be a really funny scene in a movie where a lounge act is singing about the end of the world while Wall Street guys in suits are laughing about whatever stupid things Wall Street guys laugh about.

Anyway, yes to a stripped down version of ITT. And YES to Still 2.0 or itís equivalent. Can you imagine the tour? Same venues that we just saw them in. But Trent at a grand piano, have an orchestra ensemble there. Everyone in their seats just soaking in the quiet, incredible music. Everyone crying. It would be great.

We should start a still 2.0 dream list thread.

Max
12-15-2018, 07:41 AM
Oh and basically after last nightís epic show I donít think we are allowed to ever complain about anything ever again. Wow. Wish I had been there. Three different guests. Dusting off old songs again. Incredible

theimage13
12-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Look, I LOVE the original (and original live version of) ITT. Brought me to tears both times I saw it.

So this new version....it's....well, it's different. And you know what? I enjoyed it. I'd be lying if I said I'd rather see that than the original, but I'd also be lying if I said I'd be disappointed to see the reworked one live. I just love that damn song so much.

WorzelG
12-15-2018, 07:53 AM
I’m in the same camp - wish I liked it more on first listen but going to try hard to come around eventually.

I find it ironic that Trent derides the studio version as too noisy while implicitly sanctioning Garson’s improv here, which to my ears is much less complementary (ie, noisier). The absence of the Zero-Sum outro also helped me realize that at least 50% of my love for the LITS rendition is tied to that alone.
Where did Trent deride the studio version as too noisy? I’ve only heard fans complain about that because sometimes you do just want to hear his vocals without lots of crunchy background clutter

chuckrh
12-15-2018, 07:53 AM
wow, what an amazing setlist. can't wait to hear a tape!

roolfdriht
12-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Where did Trent deride the studio version as too noisy?

In his introductory spiel last night - magnolia posted video in the Tour Journal.

WorzelG
12-15-2018, 08:30 AM
In his introductory spiel last night - @magnolia (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4211) posted video in the Tour Journal.
oh really? I haven’t listened to it yet!

tricil
12-15-2018, 08:30 AM
the Six Songs Left:

The Beginning of the End
Eraser
Dear World,
Came Back Haunted
Digital
Starfuckers, Inc.

eik
12-15-2018, 08:31 AM
If Trent pulls Dear World, Eraser, The Beginning of the End, Starfuckers, Came Back Haunted and Digital tonight (apart from the Pinion / Eater of Dreams intro), then LA got in 6 nights all the 74 songs that were played on this entire leg of the tour. And I am certain that there is more to debut on their final night!

eik
12-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Exactly tricil!

Deepvoid
12-15-2018, 09:16 AM

I feel you my man! My plan was for me to be in a plane as I type this. Unfortunately, Christmas bonus did not come through as expected. So yeah... no NIN show this year.

TheRealNs1
12-15-2018, 09:28 AM

NIN first, financial responsibility later.

Callahan
12-15-2018, 09:36 AM

That rings unbelievably true with me! Always trying to do things the right way, then as soon as NIN tours/products are announced, all financial responsibilities are thrown out the window!

paul_guyet
12-15-2018, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvH4LGOGJLU

And more:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBXf30IV-VI6u5m-ZUtkEA

Including a very talky Trent before Just Like You Imagined, with Mike Garson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Oua44Zp-II fucking LOVE that every single song of NIN's that Garson plays on immediately sounds like Outside-era Bowie.

BRoswell
12-15-2018, 10:16 AM
I think they have the right idea with the In This Twilight rework, but it sounds like they didn't have time to rehearse it properly. It's a bit messy, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, I love how the original sounds, so...going to have to agree to disagree with Trent on that. :p

theimage13
12-15-2018, 10:19 AM

I believe the phrase you're looking for is Finincial Planning.

Haysey_Draws
12-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Late to the party here...fuck me that ITT version...please, Still 2.0 this...PLEASE!

R-Dot-Yung
12-15-2018, 10:45 AM
This is the last time I don't go to LA for the final shows...

FULLMETAL
12-15-2018, 10:51 AM
Well, it’s clear for next time that I’ll need to hit my local shows & make plans for all LA shows (unless it’s 2014 and I’m living in N.Hollywood and there’s 4 total reserved seat shows in SoCal).

Anyhoo, one more to close CBI2018. Here’s hoping the home video comes out sooner than “soon.”

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Well, it’s clear for next time that I’ll need to hit my local shows & make plans for all LA shows (unless it’s 2014 and I’m living in N.Hollywood and there’s 4 total reserved seat shows in SoCal).

Anyhoo, one more to close CBI2018. Here’s hoping the home video comes out sooner than “soon.”

I’d take anything that’s sooner than “Spring 2014.”

frl
12-15-2018, 11:50 AM
This tour is a gift.

bryan_NIN65
12-15-2018, 12:08 PM
That rings unbelievably true with me! Always trying to do things the right way, then as soon as NIN tours/products are announced, all financial responsibilities are thrown out the window!

I was having a conversation with my mom about adulting being hard and how money comes and goes. On October 30 I bought planes tickets to Las Vegas for the Saturday show then refunded them in the 24 hour grace period. Then I said fuck it and bought plane tickets and my ticket for the Saturday Vegas show on November 1st. So fucking glad I did, I was really worried about only being able to attend one of the Vegas shows and did not look at Friday's setlist till after my Saturday show. I felt supper lucky to get that old school 90's show and by the grace of God and or good Karmma I got lucky by being at the Saturday show over the Friday one. Almost all my wishes came true that night.

3po1nt0
12-15-2018, 12:44 PM
were those samples in TGD from last night of you know who? as much as i try to avoid hearing him speak, in the context of the great destroyer it was appropriate

TheRealNs1
12-15-2018, 12:53 PM
were those samples in TGD from last night of you know who? as much as i try to avoid hearing him speak, in the context of the great destroyer it was appropriate

yes

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-15-2018, 12:57 PM
I was having a conversation with my mom about adulting being hard and how money comes and goes. On October 30 I bought planes tickets to Las Vegas for the Saturday show then refunded them in the 24 hour grace period. Then I said fuck it and bought plane tickets and my ticket for the Saturday Vegas show on November 1st. So fucking glad I did, I was really worried about only being able to attend one of the Vegas shows and did not look at Friday's setlist till after my Saturday show. I felt supper lucky to get that old school 90's show and by the grace of God and or good Karmma I got lucky by being at the Saturday show over the Friday one. Almost all my wishes came true that night.

On night 3 of L.A., I befriended a couple (?) that only got tickets to that show as it was the only one they could make. They mentioned being old school fans not really keeping up with newer stuff. They got pre-1995 including Dead Souls which they specifically wished for.

Then last night I spoke to this woman in the pit who happened to win tickets to L.A. night 5 and she was desperately hoping to get Reptile. She got it.

For me, it was AATCHB. 1 of 3 (+Great Below and WITT) never heard and hoped to hear live once. And it happened in the most perfect way <3

roolfdriht
12-15-2018, 01:04 PM
If Trent pulls Dear World, Eraser, The Beginning of the End, Starfuckers, Came Back Haunted and Digital tonight (apart from the Pinion / Eater of Dreams intro), then LA got in 6 nights all the 74 songs that were played on this entire leg of the tour. And I am certain that there is more to debut on their final night!

From a return-on-rehearsal-time standpoint, I somewhat expect that the Garson appearance might repeat tonight. Of course, logic need not apply here at all...

paul_guyet
12-15-2018, 01:11 PM
were those samples in TGD from last night of you know who? as much as i try to avoid hearing him speak, in the context of the great destroyer it was appropriateIt makes that fucking song SO MUCH SCARIER.

Sarah K
12-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Any video up of TGD? I heard the breakdown was looooooong.

3po1nt0
12-15-2018, 02:47 PM

it wasn't particularly long if comparing it to 2014/2017 versions i've heard but way intense indoors. lasers, projections, strobe effects, the kitchen sink

3po1nt0
12-15-2018, 02:49 PM
From a return-on-rehearsal-time standpoint, I somewhat expect that the Garson appearance might repeat tonight. Of course, logic need not apply here at all...

if 2009 wave goodbye is any indication, you're on target with that thinking

xolotl
12-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Mmm, that version of In This Twilight is quite tasty. I think I still prefer the original, but I am absolutely onboard whenever TR+co want to reinvent a song. The more versions the better, IMO.

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Mmm, that version of In This Twilight is quite tasty. I think I still prefer the original, but I am absolutely onboard whenever TR+co want to reinvent a song. The more versions the better, IMO.
Love the noisyness aspect of ITT(original), but it's such a good song. Both versions are great, imo.

EvilGobi
12-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Ok, I went to Night one in Detroit and that setlist was awesome. Honestly, compared to any other show this tour it was the one for me.... Until now, this is the first one Im jelous of.

Edit: In This Twilight (along with Im Afraid of Americans, Burn and Banged and Blown Through) has been the song Ive most wanted to hear since I started seeing NIN on the Tension tour

captainbeyond
12-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Dude this performance on "On The Wing" is fucking amazing!

captainbeyond
12-15-2018, 05:14 PM
The chorus of "In The Twilight" sounds like it could be in a Queen of a Stone Age song but sung by Trent. Something about those melodies and chord progressions...

chuckrh
12-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Trent sure seems to be enjoying this tour than previous ones, but that could just be a matter of what we see/hear. I hope he is, at least. Having this much more open setlist format with no big visual production to choreograph and worry about, a slightly shorter set, and multiple nights at the same venue so there's less travel, may just be what he needs a tour to be now. And I don't think anyone would mind if he continues with this format, whether it's every year or every other year or longer breaks between tours.

think the current band has something to do with it, too. they are incredible.

fillow
12-15-2018, 05:29 PM
The chorus of "In The Twilight" sounds like it could be in a Queen of a Stone Age song but sung by Trent. Something about those melodies and chord progressions...

Funny you should say that. Supposedly, Josh has recorded some vocals for a NIN song during Year Zero sessions (in return for Trent singing on Era Vulgaris). We just don't know if his part was cut from a song we know, or the entire song got scrapped. (He didn't clarify).

magnolia
12-15-2018, 05:30 PM
I donít want this tour to end! Iím already feeling sad thinking about this being the last night. [emoji3064]

chuckrh
12-15-2018, 05:31 PM
would be cool if on the last night of the tour they did "we're in this together". that would lay waste to the vocal cords but with no shows remaining wouldn't be a factor. i love his vocal performance of that song on the record. would probably lay waste to the audience, too. haha.:D

StockAvuryah
12-15-2018, 05:33 PM
would be cool if on the last night of the tour they did "we're in this together". that would lay waste to the vocal cords but with no shows remaining wouldn't be a factor. i love his vocal performance of that song on the record. would probably lay waste to the audience, too. haha.:D

Could be during the encore

theimage13
12-15-2018, 07:42 PM
would be cool if on the last night of the tour they did "we're in this together". that would lay waste to the vocal cords

Would it, though? He does it at a lower octave than recorded, along with Last and some other higher parts. I assumed he did that because it allowed him to perform those songs without wrecking himself.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-15-2018, 08:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=250&amp;v=IGoJlmTCmak

m0reta
12-15-2018, 08:53 PM
More hot piano action today but I am not that side so no piccy. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Papagolash
12-15-2018, 09:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=250&amp;v=IGoJlmTCmak

dayum

Erneuert
12-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Tonight’s set list is probably going to give us all heart attacks, in the best possible way.

Max
12-15-2018, 10:32 PM
So eager to hear about tonight. What a great tour. We are all so lucky

Erik
12-15-2018, 10:57 PM
I will be keeping setlist.fm updated for tonight I hope. So lucky to be here for the last show!

suprefan
12-15-2018, 11:42 PM
They dont blow their wad tonight at all. Think of it as a variant of last night and nothing out of the ordinary. I saw the setlist.

thanat0s
12-15-2018, 11:52 PM
I think we’re getting Broken!! We’re on Last right now!

Sarah K
12-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Pinion
Wish
Last
March of the Pigs
Piggy
This Isn't The Place
The Lovers
Shit Mirror
Ahead of Ourselves
God Break Down the Door
The Perfect Drug

Esperanzan
12-15-2018, 11:53 PM
They dont blow their wad tonight at all. Think of it as a variant of last night and nothing out of the ordinary. I saw the setlist.

Well, it sounds like Broken is happening right now, sounds like more than a variant of last night...

EDIT - wow, what a tease. Last into March of the Pigs. You might be right about this one being a little meh.

ManBurning
12-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Started the tour with broken and ended it with broken.

thanat0s
12-15-2018, 11:57 PM
False alarm. MOTP

suprefan
12-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Well, it sounds like Broken is happening right now, sounds like more than a variant of last night...

EDIT - wow, what a tease. Last into March of the Pigs. You might be right about this one being a little meh.

Nope, sorry!

3 more songs with Mariqueen and a 5 song encore. Garson pops up, no Gary Numan.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Someone was crowdsurfing during The Lovers. So there's that. Lmao

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Heh, BBB.

suprefan
12-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Someone was crowdsurfing during The Lovers. So there's that. Lmao

Typical saturday night in la.

alfonso99
12-16-2018, 12:41 AM
I don't know why do i get the feeling that HTDA is returning during 2019...by the way I'm not complaining!

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 12:42 AM
HTDA Mini set

BBB / Welcome Oblivion / Ice Age

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Nope, sorry!

3 more songs with Mariqueen and a 5 song encore. Garson pops up, no Gary Numan.

Do they do In This Twilight again?

Dryalex12
12-16-2018, 12:57 AM
Man.... i really hoping for something exciting

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Man.... i really hoping for something exciting

Yeah same. Not that this is a bad setlist at all but I was expecting something huge for the last night.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:00 AM
The whole tour has been huge. We're spoiled.

FULLMETAL
12-16-2018, 01:01 AM
Ilan’s instagram. Hit it.

Dryalex12
12-16-2018, 01:03 AM
It's not that its a bad set, but i just feel like if your gonna play the same city 6 times and not one of them was a special setlist *cough*Fragile.setlist*cough* feels like a missed opportunity and again, it feels like they could of come to somewhere in oregon or at least washington.

Helpmeiaminhell
12-16-2018, 01:13 AM
For a last show of a tour, thats a pretty lame set....Also TR sure took a lot for granted, assuming NIN fans want to see HTDA...3 of the 6 shows with a mini HTDA set is overkill....

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't travel for this set. It's not that it's bad, but... I think Sarah K said it best, we've been spoiled this whole tour.
A year ago, we would have all jerked off bucket loads for this set due to the fact there is The Perfect Drug alone in there.
But compared to the rest of the tour, this is not their strongest set song wise.

I can see the casual fan walking away from this set disappointed because there was a very long stretch of nearly 10 songs that were either from the trilogy and from HTDA.

Honestly, the HTDA stuff does absolutely nothing for me. This may not be the popular opinion around here, but I think the HTDA stuff does not belong in a NIN set.
Maybe 1 song, but not 3.

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 01:14 AM
For a last show of a tour, thats a pretty lame set....Also TR sure took a lot for granted, assuming NIN fans want to see HTDA...3 of the 6 shows with mini HTDA set is a bit overkill....

We're at the point where a set with TPD and Last is lame, but yeah kinda strange. Still a 5 song encore, apparently - maybe something interesting there?

Helpmeiaminhell
12-16-2018, 01:16 AM
The December 11 set was killer (the pre 1995 set) but the other LA shows, I wasnt blown away by the set...I don't dig merging the 2 bands....He would never play NIN songs during an HTDA set so why play HTDA during NIN....Mike Patton doesnt play Mr Bungle songs onstage with Faith No More....Chino doesnt play Team Sleep songs during Deftones sets...And I can only imagine the backlash if Kurt brought out Courtney to sing 3 Hole songs in the middle of a Nirvana show....Trent should keep the 2 bands separate

Atu
12-16-2018, 01:16 AM
I never expected to live a day, where a setlist including Last, TPD and The Big Come Down will be considered disappointing.

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Ilan’s instagram. Hit it.

Suuuure the stream cuts off before the encore when the good stuff is probably going to come on now.

suprefan
12-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Do they do In This Twilight again?

No

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Fuck. Was hoping for some more video.

Thank you. :)

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 01:19 AM
...He would never play NIN songs during an HTDA set so why play HTDA during NIN...

By that logic, why play Gary Numan songs or David Bowie songs or Joy Division songs?

Answer: because they fucking can.

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 01:22 AM
Setlist.fm update shows "Greensleeves" what the hell is that?

Ruined
12-16-2018, 01:22 AM
I get some have different tastes, but, I would have enjoyed a HTDA mini-set. I'm glad I got to see NIN the first night and had a hell of a time, even if some of the rare stuff wasn't played (e.g., TPD, AATCHB, etc.). But, this was my set; there are many sets like it, but, this one was mine...

Erik
12-16-2018, 01:25 AM
A Mike Garson solo holiday classic with red and green NIN logos.

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 01:25 AM
Let's see if tonight's JYLI is a little smoother than yesterday's.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:26 AM
I think it sounds MUCH better tonight.

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 01:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ItNxpwChE

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 01:27 AM

Okay, looks like it's a piano introduction he often plays at solo shows.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 01:27 AM
Suuuure the stream cuts off before the encore when the good stuff is probably going to come on now.

Like a Mike G intro followed by JLYI

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 01:31 AM
into the void!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaat

EDIT: False alarm. Someone wrote Into the void on setlist.fm

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:33 AM
? La Mer.

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 01:33 AM

Really??? or just La Mer?

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 01:34 AM

EDIT: False alarm. Someone wrote Into the void on setlist.fm

Arghh I hate when people jump the gun on that, the exact same thing happened at another show. The intros don't even really sound that similar.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 01:34 AM
La Mer / Even Deeper

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 01:35 AM
Really??? or just La Mer?

Apparently it was just la mer...

Erik
12-16-2018, 01:35 AM
For the record I didn't write Into the Void but I corrected to La Mer.

m0reta
12-16-2018, 01:37 AM
LOL at the Christmas interlude. That just made the last 10 days of effort worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nooneimportant
12-16-2018, 01:39 AM
A Mike Garson solo holiday classic with red and green NIN logos.

I really hate that I believed this for a couple seconds.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:40 AM
The red and green rotating NIN logos are real as shit.

Rubeninphoenix is streaming, and there were people around him shouting Christmas Carol titles at Trent.

This tour is surreal on so many different fronts.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 01:41 AM
Over and Out. Longest set of the tour.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 01:42 AM
I really hate that I believed this for a couple seconds.

No. That actually happened.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 01:42 AM
So is it actually a 6 song encore?

Rubeninphoenix
12-16-2018, 01:46 AM
So is it actually a 6 song encore?Yep, Over and Out just wrapped up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rubeninphoenix
12-16-2018, 01:47 AM
"I WILL MAKE YOU HURT"https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181216/96bce2b4e686457fbe7fa08e0629b664.jpg

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 02:06 AM
"We'll see you again."

Perfect ending.

Esperanzan
12-16-2018, 02:06 AM
Well, that's all I guess!

Thank you everyone for making this such a fun thread. Now we wait till the next touring cycle...

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 02:10 AM
Now that the tour is over, what does everyone think the best and worst setlists of the tour were?

Madisondisco
12-16-2018, 02:12 AM
Now that the tour is over, what does everyone think the best and worst setlists of the tour were?

Honestly, tonight's was one of the weakest.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Vegas 2 was the best for me, closely followed by Brooklyn 2 and Chicago 2.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 02:19 AM
Honestly, tonight's was one of the weakest.

While I would agree with this general sentiment, the energy from the band and crowed were the best at show #6 IMO.

ALSO I don’t really care because I got welcome oblivion and BCD -> Afraid of Americans so now my neck is sore as fuck.

but seriously now - I could find something to nitpick about any of the set lists I’ve had over 6 LA shows. But taken TOGETHER its been an incredible experience that I doubt any band will ever top.

This 6 show set was better than my 6 Wave Goodbye shows (which included Fonda and Wiltern!). I NEVER thought I’d say that!

mostlymad
12-16-2018, 02:27 AM

I got to go to five shows this time around. I usually only get to make one show, maybe two, a year. Each one provided me with something unique and memorable. Of course, for me Chicago 26th will remain the one that counts the most. I wanted "Sin" more than I knew I did. And the one thing I never, ever, ever thought I'd get, to the point of never bothering to think to put it in my dream setlist because I didn't want to admit how much I needed to hear it live, was debuted that night. The energy, my spot on the rail, the crowd, the waiting in line all day with the fucking fantastic people out there with me were all a part of why that one stands out the most to me. But had I been unable to see all the shows I saw, each one was fantastic in its own way.

buzburbank
12-16-2018, 02:34 AM
This 6 show set was better than my 6 Wave Goodbye shows (which included Fonda and Wiltern!). I NEVER thought I’d say that!

Do you really mean that? Maybe after the immediacy wears off you'll want to reconsider. I'm thinking apples and oranges, as we have every reason to believe we will see this reformulated NIN continue to exist post-CBI, but WG was just other-worldly in terms of the setlists (ESPECIALLY Wiltern*), the energy, and the sheer uncertainty about the future. I had a much more emotional experience at the '09 Aragon shows than I did this year. Neither edition was 'better' than the other; just different.

* Wiltern, which so many of us were not fortunate enough to have attended, is one of the most curiously amazing concert experiences of my life, and that was sitting at my laptop through the middle of the night clicking refresh on the show thread in the old NIN.com forum, just to see what they might come up with next.

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 02:36 AM
I just looked through all the sets.

Top 3 sets (in my opinion) are:
New Orleans night 3 - Nov 25
Chicago night 2 - Oct 26
Vegas night 2 - Dec 1

The weakest ones are:
Memphis - Sept 24
Nashville - Sept 29
Vegas 1 - Nov 30
LA6 - Dec 15

The Best of the LA's for me would be LA4. But There were better sets on the rest of the tour. I know LA3 was close to Vegas 2 being a "flashback from the past" night of old songs, but Vegas wins points for having The Perfect Drug in the set.

Other noteable sets this tour were:
Arizona night 1 - Open the tour with Broken
Red Rocks - Night 1 - The live debut of The Perfect Drug.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 02:51 AM
BrcRJ7FgOjM

BrcQgKDh_Du

I seriously cannot handle this. I now know it was a Bowie nod, but still.

Max
12-16-2018, 03:00 AM
I cannot believe the griping and complaints. The last set is over the top amazing. I mean it was longer than usual, Mike in there again, HDTA (not a single bad track from them - I mean HDTA is essentially NIN with Mariqueen anyway). Why on earth are people disappointed?! I would be flipping out if I would have been there.

I have two kids. When we buy them too many toys, go out to eat too often, this is how they start acting. Complaining about everything. So we stop getting them stuff until they are grateful again.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 03:05 AM
Do you really mean that? Maybe after the immediacy wears off you'll want to reconsider. I'm thinking apples and oranges, as we have every reason to believe we will see this reformulated NIN continue to exist post-CBI, but WG was just other-worldly in terms of the setlists (ESPECIALLY Wiltern*), the energy, and the sheer uncertainty about the future. I had a much more emotional experience at the '09 Aragon shows than I did this year. Neither edition was 'better' than the other; just different.

* Wiltern, which so many of us were not fortunate enough to have attended, is one of the most curiously amazing concert experiences of my life, and that was sitting at my laptop through the middle of the night clicking refresh on the show thread in the old NIN.com forum, just to see what they might come up with next.

6pc NIN > 4 pc NIN + wider range in set list variation. I got way more songs in 2018 than I did in 2009.

i thought Sin 2009 was shit for instance. But Sin 2018 was fucking amazing.

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Forgot how fun the pit is and happy that’s where I spent these last 2 shows. Finally achieved my teenage dream of being in it, soaked, dancing to TPD and The Big Come Down \m/

In regards to L.A.: night 3> night 2>night 5(?)> the rest :p

3po1nt0
12-16-2018, 03:24 AM
tonight was anticlimactic after having seen multiple nights from this run. BUT the encore was great.

i saw 5/6. LA3,4,5 were interchangeably best for different reasons (throwback, diversity, guests).

thank goodness for big come down in the main set. that full broken tease to start was pretty rough esp since i was hoping on another HIS

wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else but given how the shows turned out, LA1 was a total warmup and ended up fully repeated throughout the run besides one of the htda tracks and home. but at the time i loved it. i could go on alternating my complaints or praises but just gonna leave it that the middle nights were mind blowing but tonight had amazing encore.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 03:43 AM
I cannot believe the griping and complaints. The last set is over the top amazing. I mean it was longer than usual, Mike in there again, HDTA (not a single bad track from them - I mean HDTA is essentially NIN with Mariqueen anyway). Why on earth are people disappointed?! I would be flipping out if I would have been there.

I have two kids. When we buy them too many toys, go out to eat too often, this is how they start acting. Complaining about everything. So we stop getting them stuff until they are grateful again.

NIN has stopped touring. What else do you want us to do? Let us compare hattori hanzo swords for a bit.

My bottom line is each LA show was enjoyable and each one had something for me. I hope NIN does multi-night shows like this again next time.

Rubeninphoenix
12-16-2018, 03:50 AM
All I know is, for someone who wasn't at the other shows here in LA, this was quite the enjoyable setlist. People were very energetic (I have never seen that many crowd surfers) and everyone seems to have had a good time plus my friends got RubenVision on FB so they got to be there in a way. I had fun and it was an excellent way to end my Cold and Black and Infinite tour.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 04:00 AM
Also wanted to say I thought Garson’s placement tonight after the encore was way better than yesterday, and in general sounded better.

Goddamn I want to see TGD with lasers again, cuz that shit was hot fire. Anyone know what company was responsible for the prettty lights?

thanat0s
12-16-2018, 04:13 AM
Really glad I splurged on a last minute ticket to tonight’s show. Its always worth the trip to see the band put on a show but the icing on the cake was getting to see TPD since they didn’t play it at the first Palladium show. Wish we could’ve gotten Starfuckers but such is the NIN set wishlist life.

Haysey_Draws
12-16-2018, 04:29 AM
One of these tours i'll get to see a show with La Mer...one of these tours!

elevenism
12-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Looking at tour stats, I'm pretty fucking happy with what we got at Red Rocks.
Before those shows, I felt like I NEEDED to see NIN again, like I had missed something.
Now, I don't. I WANT to see them again pretty fucking badly and will be at every red rocks show from here on out (health permitting,) but between the TDS shows I caught in the 90s, Fragility 2.0, LITS and the INCREDIBLE set lists from this year, I feel like the shows I see down the road are like icing on the cake.

This tour was fucking incredible. It was for US, you know? How many casual fans are aware of Home? AATCHB? How many knew that TPD had never been played?

Thank you, teitan .

Also, I wonder if NIN will continue just playing WHATEVER THE FUCK from here on out? Perhaps this is something they will become known for.
I certainly hope so!

Ash512
12-16-2018, 06:09 AM
I saw 9 shows this tour (2x Vegas back in June, 4x NYC, 3x NOLA) and I'm just blown away with this cycle. Of course, it was great to hear all those amazing rarities but what really made it fun was unpredictability. I'm beginning to realize that the shows that really won me over were the ones that I just couldn't tell what was coming next, regardless of the actual songs played.

-I think New Orleans #3 was my favourite. It was a weirdly paced, totally unpredictable setlist with a bunch of my favourite deep cuts (Last, I Do Not Want This, The Big Come Down) and of course I got to hear my all time favourite song, AATCHB, which in some weird way, was the main reason I kept attending NIN shows after all these years, just hoping they would end up playing it. It was a wonderful way to end this cycle for me. I thought it sounded better than the Chicago recording I had heard and I really, really hope it sticks around for the next cycle.

-The Bad Witch songs are all mindblowing live. Perhaps we're not getting hyped up as much because there is no nostalgia involved, but honestly I was never tired of hearing these tracks, especially when they played them back to back. I guess it also helps that it's my personal favourite album since Year Zero.

-I can't imagine The Perfect Drug leaving setlists anytime soon. I saw it 3 or 4 times and every night it was one of the songs that got the strongest reaction from the casual crowd, right up there with HLAH, THTF and Hurt. It is epic, it sounds great, it's both a deep cut and a crowd pleaser.

-I understand why they keep playing HLAH and THTF, people genuinely love these songs, but after 39 shows, I was just really happy whenever they didn't play them. Starfuckers got a good reaction and even though it's not a song I really love, it was still a lot of fun to hear it live for the first time. It was pretty much the last non-rarity I hadn't heard live yet. Only is also a good THTF replacement. I used to be really sick of it after the With Teeth and LITS tours, but the new arrangement with pre-recorded drums is really cool. Finally, they omitted HLAH a few times, ending with Wish instead and that's also a very welcome change. I'm somehow still looking forward to Wish...!

-As far as performance goes, the band is at it's peak right now. Which is something I have said several times in the past, but I do think they've outdone themselves. Ilan is awesome and obviously the inclusion of most of the rare songs they are playing has to do with his multi-tasking abilities. Trent hasn't sounded that good in a long time. I remember his voice was strained for pretty much the entire 2008-2009 touring cycle, to see him that great a decade later is a fucking relief. I don't give a shit that he is not screaming anymore, let Robin handle that and keep touring for as long as possible!

All in all, this cycle went far beyond the expectations I had when I first bought tickets. Back in 2017, I flew around a lot for those festival shows and I kind of regretted it as the sets were all so similar... to the point that I almost decided to sit this one out. I'm so glad I went!
Looking forward to whatever's coming next.

loopcloses
12-16-2018, 06:14 AM
While I don't like being vindictive, I'll admit I take a perverse pleasure in how disappointed all the "Trent got Yoko'd" goofs in attendance must have been getting all that sweet HTDA.

I, like everyone, was hoping for something big from the last show but it was still one hell of a last stand for thr tour it appears. I definitely wish personally a few LA dates could be swapped out for something in the PNW i could've feasibly caught but I'm sure things were planned the way they were for good reasons (likely financial, which is more than fair).

But goddamn, I don't wanna be greedy but I hope we get more shows soonish. But if this recent foray into left field we've seen with Bad Witch and stuff like that reworked In This Twilight are any indicator I might be even more eager for more music at the moment. Maybe next time there's a tour I'll have a bit more income to justify throwing at traveling for more than one show (or ideally, there'll be multiple PNW dates i can just drive to). It's old news to many vets here, but the electricity of that first Phoenix date was very much like a drug I'd been starved of since Tension 2013 and I'm hungry for more, but if the choices are new music or refreshing setlist.fm for months to see what's getting played I probably take the new music.

mostlymad
12-16-2018, 06:24 AM
It was a wonderful way to end this cycle for me. I thought it sounded better than the Chicago recording I had heard and I really, really hope it sticks around for the next cycle.

Hah, I was thinking the opposite. That the version in Chicago sounded so much better than the recording in New Orleans, or anywhere else. I have a feeling it's a song that works so much better live than it does on the recordings floating around.

sweeterthan
12-16-2018, 06:31 AM
If someone is calling Mariqueen ďYokoĒ, their opinion is shit and doesnít matter. Just want to put that out there since it was mentioned.

Ash512
12-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Hah, I was thinking the opposite. That the version in Chicago sounded so much better than the recording in New Orleans, or anywhere else. I have a feeling it's a song that works so much better live than it does on the recordings floating around.

The Chicago version sounds slightly under-rehearsed and the song got better and better as the tour went on.
-Trent's singing was off in Chicago during the "I know you tried to rescue me" part. He's not singing falsetto like he is doing on the album version and I think it got better in New Orleans, and it was even better in LA where he just changed the melody to adapt to his range.
-Robin's bending guitar notes during the acoustic breakdown were slightly off key in Chicago. It's the most beautiful part of the song (arguably the most beautiful melody in all of NIN) and you'd want it to sound perfect. Again, NOLA was more precise and kept getting better as the tour went on.
-You can tell Trent is somewhat improvising the final chorus with those last "You meant everything to me" in Chicago.
-I much prefer the way they ended in NOLA, where Trent went to the keyboard to play that gorgeous melody from The Great Below.

But yes... obviously, it's always better live.

Ribbitman
12-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Thank you teitan for this tour. Atlanta night 2 is one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I would have never dreamed of getting a setlist that amazing

Erneuert
12-16-2018, 07:05 AM
Tonightís set list is probably going to give us all heart attacks, in the best possible way.

Retracted...

poro765
12-16-2018, 07:35 AM
While I don't like being vindictive, I'll admit I take a perverse pleasure in how disappointed all the "Trent got Yoko'd" goofs in attendance must have been getting all that sweet HTDA.
I'm pretty sure those goofs never heard Unfinished Music or Wedding Album. Welcome Oblivion is a fucking masterpiece compared to that shit.

What a tour. This tour was for fans, and also for the band.
I can't imagine what the next tour would be like, but I'm sure they'll come up with something new and inspiring. See you guys there.

witte
12-16-2018, 07:55 AM
This was a remarkable good and special NIN year. Grateful I was part of this.
6 times EU - 3 times US

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mostlymad
12-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Aw, I accidentally clicked on the upcoming dates and everything is gray and locked. :( This was a great year for us. Thanks to the guys for providing me with so much great stuff to look forward to.

tricil
12-16-2018, 08:27 AM
https://open.spotify.com/track/3ibtrNRxVtz16SAVfo3v0Q?si=BbxtAvrARiWnyi2SPs8y-w

SM Rollinger
12-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Agreed, this touring cycle for the EP trilogy has been awesome, im glad I got to see them twice (Riotfest and Aragon Night 2) during it.

Id say as far as the Cold & Black leg goes, 3 shows stand out...

1. Aragon Brawlroom Night 2

-The middle section was off the rails! Piggy had a dirty nasty energy to I haven't heard in years. I FINALLY heard Burn! Then OMFG their going to play SIN! Closer had that same filthy-ness, that Piggy had. And to top it off, a song I would consider in my top 5, THE BECOMING!

-During the intermission, I saw the techs bringing out Ilan's cello and i started screaming inside because a moment I have been dreaming of since the late 90's, that i never imagined I would happen, was about to occur... my #1 FAVORITE NIN SONG HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY was going to be played in front of me! Fucking hell!!

-"We're going to uh, we're gonna dig deep into the deep cuts.". Trent Reznor, founder, Nine Inch Nails

I thought to myself "how much deeper can we go?". As soon as the rain started I found out the answer... And All That Could Have Been! The most brutal to the most subtle, thats what I love about this band. (disco ball FTW!)

So to summarize , I got 2 of my favorite songs, Sin for the first time since 09 and the track besides TPD that everyone wanted to hear for the first time ever!

2. 2018.12.01 The Joint LV NV

The newest song they played is 21 years old? Im down! Self Destruct era 4 EVER! The one thing they could have done is brought Danny Lohner on stage for Mr Self Destruct and Sin.

3. 2018.09.13 Comerica Theater Phoenix AZ

Broken! HIS for the first time since 95! First performance of one of my favorite Trilogy tracks, This Isn't the Place.

All in all, this was the best tour since Wave Goodbye. Also, im so glad Atticus is part of the live band now :)

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 10:32 AM
If someone is calling Mariqueen “Yoko”, their opinion is shit and doesn’t matter. Just want to put that out there since it was mentioned.

This forever and ever.

Also, Garson's performance of Greensleeves was excellent, and I'm sure it confused the hell out of most of the audience.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Hoy about to Invite Mike Garson to play in the next tour?
So they can play Leaving Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly-NkOUbkDI

The next step should be play more than 100 songs in the tour with 30 songs or more each night

ricardo
12-16-2018, 11:44 AM
My CBI Tour Review: It was awesome. TPD, HIS and AATCHB. Wow.

Now for some light-hearted nitpicking. Disclaimer: Sorry if it offends/hurts/insults you in any form. Feel free to move on to the next post, you sensitive mofo lol. (Seek help, words on the internet about a show/artist shouldn't disturb you in any form):

They should really have tried JLYI without Garson as well. Clouser did something cool back in the day without being a virtuoso. Ally and Atticus could've come up with something as cool. I get Garson is a friend, a fucking great musician but let's be honest, he's all over the place lol. And yes, I know that's mostly his style. It doesn't make it good to my ears tho. I remember that 2009 version where he wouldn't stop even for the "Aahhhh" part. :(

HTDA mini set? It's cool I guess but it takes the place of NIN songs, which I consider much better. I haven't given HTDA its deserved attention. Don't think Trent/NIN got Yoko'd in any form. The band didn't split due to HTDA, it actually got better!

It's Trent having fun with his family on stage. I guess him having a traditional happy life with a wife and kids hurt those goth "girls" who still dream about marrying him wearing a vinyl dress or something. The guy is happy, healthy, a proud husband and father. I'm happy for him.

I'm not a fan of Gary Numan either. Guest appearances in general are not my cup of tea I guess.

We really need an official video release from these shows, especially for the deep cuts.

EDIT: Just listened to the new ITT in a proper device and Garson kills it. Amazing version.

WorzelG
12-16-2018, 12:52 PM
So Gemma, Gary Numan's wife tweeted a picture of them at the final show - look at the guy above them - is that John Cleese? It would be so weird if John Cleese had turned up at a NIN show

https://twitter.com/ElfinHaloMoon/status/1074202484095234048

theimage13
12-16-2018, 12:58 PM
So Gemma, Gary Numan's wife tweeted a picture of them at the final show - look at the guy above them - is that John Cleese? It would be so weird if John Cleese had turned up at a NIN show

https://twitter.com/ElfinHaloMoon/status/1074202484095234048

Guessing you haven't seen what John Cleese looks like lately, or you wouldn't be asking that question.

suprefan
12-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Of the 4 La shows I went to, rank wise. for anyone that had wanted all the old tracks and then new songs plus deep cuts, the mid week ones did the job. And even after seeing the setlist, I finally got one! 29 shows over almost 15 years and it took me this long to get one.

Weds
Tues
Sat
Fri ( first one )

WorzelG
12-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Guessing you haven't seen what John Cleese looks like lately, or you wouldn't be asking that question.
Oof just googled him, yeah I haven’t seen him in years

Partyslammer
12-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Caught the final night at the Palladium last night.

It's been about 3 years since I last saw a show at the Palladium. There's more and more large buildings going up all around the area sucking up the old parking lots and making it tougher to get around Sunset Blvd and the freeways just get worse and worse (2 hours just from Huntington Beach to Hollywood!).

The merch stuff really didn't interest me, but they clearly sold a lot of stuff as there were long lines at most of the booths and tables in and outside the Palladium. Drink prices where stratospheric - $26 for a double mixed drink - insured I wasn't crafting any buzz this show. Hell, they wouldn't even give me a cup of ice water, I had to pay $6 for a bottle water poured on ice in a plastic cup.

Opening band HMLTD(?) were *really* loud with a lot of bassy drum loops and NIN-style instrumentals - in fact, they were the loudest band of the night.

The Jesus And Mary Chain is a favorite.... on record. Live, they are a bit dull and the quality of their show really depends on two things - the setlist and whatever tension may be going on between the Reid brothers. There seemed to be no tension, in fact there seemed to be no interplay between the band at all. The setlist was only fair, imo. I like their druggy, feedback stuff like Reverence and Blues From A Gun, the more poppy stuff like Just Like Honey and Some Candy Talking doesn't do it for me. For better or worse, their set was maybe a dozen songs and lasted about 45 minutes. Even by TJAMC's set, the Palladium was really packed, by NIN's set it was jammed solid even on the sides.

If I had walked out of the show after NIN's first 3 songs, I would have said this was the best NIN show I've ever seen. Getting the opening trio of Wish-Last-March Of The Pigs was incredible. The energy both from the band and the audience was off the charts. There was some serious moshing up front and at times through the show, the usual Palladium crowd swaying back and forth in the pit threatening to squash people. In fact a couple security guys warned people how crazy it would get before the show started.

However, the crazy high energy level wasn't sustainable and what followed was a brace of 5 or so songs from the Bad Witch and Add Violence EPs that brought the pacing down. The set briefly took off again with The Perfect Drug complete with lasers(!) mid-set getting one of the best reactions from the audience the whole show, Ilan is certainly the MVP of the band, the guy just plays his ass off. But then they followed that with 3 songs from Trent's wife/How To Destroy Angels. I've never bothered to pick up her album and I don't think I've listened to more than a couple songs online but her mini-set frankly killed the set for me and I never completely got back into the show. The tail end of the show picked up with Gave Up and warhorse closers Hand That Feeds and Head Like A Hole.

The encore opened with Mike Garson playing a solo piano rendition of Greensleeves(!) complete with red and green Christmasy NIN logos(!!) on the backdrop followed by a trio of Fragile cuts, the instrumental Just Like You Imagined, La Mer and Even Deeper and the Bad Witch track Over And Out. Trent gave a short speech thanking the band and crew and made it clear the band was taking an extended break but would be back. The show ended with the usual "Hurt."

It was great to finally get Last and The Perfect Drug, two songs I've always wanted to hear live. The incredible unpredictability of the set kept me interested in what was coming next even when the show itself lagged for me personally. The sound was excellent, the lighting, fog and even lasers was pretty over the top great especially considering this was a fairly basic stage production considering NIN's past tours.

Overall though, this show had nothing on the LA run of Wave Goodbye shows in LA in 2009, certainly not the final Wiltern show which remains by far the best NIN I've ever seen. Looking at the setlists from this LA Palladium run of shows, I'd have probably most wanted to catch the 12/11 show.

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 01:28 PM
...from Trent's wife...

Mariqueen. Her name is Mariqueen.

They've been married for almost ten years. Why is it so hard for people to remember her fucking name?

theimage13
12-16-2018, 01:44 PM

They've been married for almost ten years. Why is it so hard for people to remember her fucking name?

Because not everyone follows celebrities' personal lives - especially people who admittedly don't even listen to the bands that the person in question is involved in.

I don't even remember the names of all of my cousins' freaking kids. I don't think it's some scandalous thing that someone doesn't know Trent Reznor's wife's name off the top of their head.

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Because not everyone follows celebrities' personal lives...

You don't have to follow their personal lives to know her name. People have said it on here many times. She's part of a band that has a whole sub-section on this forum dedicated to it, and she's officially contributed to two Nine Inch Nails releases at this point. Considering how obsessed a lot of people are with the minutiae of Nine Inch Nails, you would think it would be easy to remember someone's name, especially when that person has become one of the lead singer's most prominent collaborators in recent years (both personally and professionally).

Deepvoid
12-16-2018, 02:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I'm a bit less disappointed with myself for missing that last LA show. Setlist not the strongest for my own personal taste. However, I realized I would have had the chance to see TPD. That alone would have been worth the trip. I have a feeling that it's not the last time we've seen TPD played live though.

theimage13
12-16-2018, 02:19 PM
You don't have to follow their personal lives to know her name. People have said it on here many times. She's part of a band that has a whole sub-section on this forum dedicated to it, and she's officially contributed to two Nine Inch Nails releases at this point. Considering how obsessed a lot of people are with the minutiae of Nine Inch Nails, you would think it would be easy to remember someone's name, especially when that person has become one of the lead singer's most prominent collaborators in recent years (both personally and professionally).

They've posted on the board three times. Three. I wouldn't expect them to remember anybody's names based on context clues from a website they hardly ever interact with.

roolfdriht
12-16-2018, 02:21 PM
But then they followed that with 3 songs from Trent's wife/How To Destroy Angels. I've never bothered to pick up her album and I don't think I've listened to more than a couple songs online but her mini-set frankly killed the set for me and I never completely got back into the show.

At the risk of sounding like a pedantic public service announcement, HTDA is not a Mariqueen solo project. Youíre entitled to your opinion about the impact of the non-NIN tracks on the setís flow, but you would do well to recognize that Trent and Atticus are also key members of the project, which is well worth your time.

paul_guyet
12-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Because not everyone follows celebrities' personal lives - especially people who admittedly don't even listen to the bands that the person in question is involved in.

I don't even remember the names of all of my cousins' freaking kids. I don't think it's some scandalous thing that someone doesn't know Trent Reznor's wife's name off the top of their head.My cousin's kids didn't make an album with Trent Reznor...

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 02:26 PM
They've posted on the board three times. Three. I wouldn't expect them to remember anybody's names based on context clues from a website they hardly ever interact with.

My comment was more directed at people who have been here a long time and still insist on calling her "Trent's wife" in a negative way.

Papagolash
12-16-2018, 02:27 PM

I don't even remember the names of all of my cousins' freaking kids. I don't think it's some scandalous thing that someone doesn't know Trent Reznor's wife's name off the top of their head.

Hell I have trouble remembering friends and coworkers names if it's been a while since I've seen them.

paul_guyet
12-16-2018, 02:28 PM
I saw the four New York shows and, aside from wishing I'd gotten to see AATCHB (which I think should have been on their regular tour rotation since 2002), I have absolutely no fucking complaints. Seriously, if NIN never tours again, I will accept that after Cold and Black and Infinite.

Never felt more grateful towards an artist.

redwingsrock
12-16-2018, 02:57 PM
So now that the tour is over, which of the deep cuts could you all see becoming "regulars" whenever they hit the road again? Honestly, I could see both TPD and AATCHB becoming regulars. I think he's likely done with most of the Bowie stuff though.

Partyslammer
12-16-2018, 03:27 PM

It's not that I don't know, it's that I don't care.

botley
12-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Okay, fine, so it's no wonder it bummed you out. They are good songs, you're just ignorant of them.

Haysey_Draws
12-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Going by the US set compared to what we've been getting the last few times in the UK and i might have to consider flying over for a future tour! Hell just for the chance to see La Mer, The Perfect Drug, AATCHB, IIT and the HTDA mini sets it would be well worth it! Though i would have to get over my hang ups of travelling alone!

loopcloses
12-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Since I brought up the whole Yoko thing that's been hit on a few times, just to clarify, that's not something I remotely believe or have seen anywhere on here. The comparison is something I've only seen on social media (most recently as a comment on Ilan's live stream) and it brought me joy to know that the idiots making them spent a lot of money to be unknowingly treated to an HTDA mini-set. I personally love HTDA, but even if I didn't, the whole "Trent's wife" would still be super shitty.

ltrandazzo
12-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Fucking THIS. I really don't get how anyone can complain about any of these shows. They just played SIX nights in LA and I could probably count on my hand the number of people that went to only ONE show during that run. Couple that with this tour overall and man, let's put this all in perspective. I only went to the Memphis show (which seems to be the redheaded stepchild of this run according to anyone with a keyboard even though I strongly disagree with that sentiment) and even I was fucking ecstatic after the show ended. Yeah, I didn't get TPD or Last or whatever, but I got a show that opened with Metal and continued to punch me in the face at every turn with new songs galore and Parasite, which is a fucking banger.

This was an AMAZING tour from the setlists to the performances to the chaos on stage and whatnot. They debuted THE PERFECT DRUG and played it multiple times. They debuted AATCHB and played it multiple times. They sounded amazing in person and in every video I saw from these shows. Quit yer bitchin' and soak it all in while we still have it.

roolfdriht
12-16-2018, 04:07 PM
I saw the four New York shows and, aside from wishing I'd gotten to see AATCHB (which I think should have been on their regular tour rotation since 2002), I have absolutely no fucking complaints. Seriously, if NIN never tours again, I will accept that after Cold and Black and Infinite.

Never felt more grateful towards an artist.

I self-limited (ha!) to the four NYC shows as well, and Iím in the same place mentally. So many bucket list items checked off, I hardly know where to begin. Aside from the presumably universal highlights (TPD, HIS, and the otherworldly Bad Witch trio), my personal best surprise was the return of ATLITW. I feared that was a Tension-only treat, and I was thrilled to be wrong.

As far as setlist misses go, Iím actually more disappointed at missing Dear World, than AATCHB. Huge outlier opinion here, but the latter never really stood out for me, and I wouldnít be surprised if the former never returns given the apparently anemic response.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-16-2018, 04:11 PM
I'm starting to go through all my pictures from the tour after over a month and I still can't believe I was there for all of it. Wouldn't have traded anything I did get to hear for anything I didn't get to hear. Probably gonna pick a bunch and throw them up on a new Instagram finally! But for now I'm gonna be lazy and just share one from Facebook from "I Can't Give Everything Away." Apologies for the size!

https://scontent.ffsd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48388511_10156560961985935_4080415541917908992_o.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.ffsd1-1.fna&oh=411911882192737cc037efe5f96fbfd4&oe=5C94E022

chuckrh
12-16-2018, 04:20 PM
i love the HTDA stuff. really hoping that another project is in the offing. Mariqueen is a fine singer, IMHO. I'm all for Trent doing whatever the fuck he wants to! Given the opportunity I'd go to see anything he was involved with. I've watched some the stuff he did with strings at Bridge School benefit some years back & found it really good. Something about his music (at least the quieter stuff) screams cellos to me. I'm probably pretty much alone on an island with this one. Trent is a special musician & wherever the muse takes him is fine with me.

thanat0s
12-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Since it’s being discussed I’d love to give a shoutout to the woman next to me who was exceptionally rude during the HTDA songs. Shouting out “WE DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE” after Trent thanked the crowd for allowing them to play some of their songs was really lame. Luckily she disappeared after a few songs. It’s fine if those songs aren’t for you but don’t ruin the experience for those around you who are enjoying themselves. As someone who was late to board the HTDA train, I was thrilled I got a chance to see some of these songs performed.

ltrandazzo
12-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Since it’s being discussed I’d love to give a shoutout to the woman next to me who was exceptionally rude during the HTDA songs. Shouting out “WE DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE” after Trent thanked the crowd for allowing them to play some of their songs was really lame. Luckily she disappeared after a few songs. It’s fine if those songs aren’t for you but don’t ruin the experience for those around you who are enjoying themselves. As someone who was late to board the HTDA train, I was thrilled I got a chance to see some of these songs performed.

God, we're really on year 10 of the Q hate, huh. That's rude as hell and that woman needs to shove off.

Dryalex12
12-16-2018, 05:00 PM
It's not that I don't know, it's that I don't care.

You went from people having your back to getting shit on in span one 2 posts with you only having 4 posts to your name

I'm impressed, you'll fit right in.

TheRealNs1
12-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Prob the same chick who yelled during some quiet part “PLAY SOME NINE INCH NAILS”

R-Dot-Yung
12-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Prob the same chick who yelled during some quiet part “PLAY SOME NINE INCH NAILS”

I am surprised that there are still people like this who GO to NIN shows. The bands been around 30 fucking years. You'd think people would've grown up by now, or at least grown up with Trent, the band, and the music.

Partyslammer
12-16-2018, 05:54 PM
You went from people having your back to getting shit on in span one 2 posts with you only having 4 posts to your name

I'm impressed, you'll fit right in.

Well fuck all, I didn't know I was here to win a popularity contest.

Look, as I said from the onset, I'm not a fan of HTDA. I gave some of the songs a listen back when they were released, it didn't grab me. I'm not going to club myself over the fucking head to try and like a band or artist that I just don't click with, there's too much music out there I do like to work hard to "get" just because they have some connection with an artist I *do* like. Thus, that portion of last night's show didn't appeal to me, understand? Some people here seem to be personally offended that I casually referred to Mariqueen as Trent's wife. Well, factually that's who she is. Get over it.

halo eighteen
12-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Well fuck all, I didn't know I was here to win a popularity contest.

Look, as I said from the onset, I'm not a fan of HTDA. I gave some of the songs a listen back when they were released, it didn't grab me. I'm not going to club myself over the fucking head to try and like a band or artist that I just don't click with, there's too much music out there I do like to work hard to "get" just because they have some connection with an artist I *do* like. Thus, that portion of last night's show didn't appeal to me, understand? Some people here seem to be personally offended that I casually referred to Mariqueen as Trent's wife. Well, factually that's who she is. Get over it.

You are aware that half of HDTA is nine inch nails, no? It's not just "some connection."

paul_guyet
12-16-2018, 06:28 PM
I self-limited (ha!) to the four NYC shows as well, and Iím in the same place mentally. So many bucket list items checked off, I hardly know where to begin. Aside from the presumably universal highlights (TPD, HIS, and the otherworldly Bad Witch trio), my personal best surprise was the return of ATLITW. I feared that was a Tension-only treat, and I was thrilled to be wrong.

As far as setlist misses go, Iím actually more disappointed at missing Dear World, than AATCHB. Huge outlier opinion here, but the latter never really stood out for me, and I wouldnít be surprised if the former never returns given the apparently anemic response.If all of the NYC shows were just TPD 21 times in a row, I'd have been totally fine.

As far as 'Dear World,' never returning, I am no longer predicting/assuming ANYTHING after this tour. Literally anything is possible. That's the really cool thing about this tour ending as opposed to other bands I dig; a lot of folks are bummed, I'm just excited for what could possibly be next. The fact that a 30+ year old band can elicit THAT response at this point in their careers is something singular.

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Personally, I was more annoyed at how you made How To Destroy Angels sound like it was some sort of vanity project for her. You don't have to get a hard on every time you hear one of their songs, but your dismissive tone is kind of ridiculous. Also, I get annoyed when people refer to her as "Trent's wife" because it's disrespectful to the guy who has given us a lot, and who also lurks around on Ye Olde Message Board. Beyond that, she's a collaborator just like everyone else who has worked with Trent & Atticus over the years, and nobody seems to have trouble remembering their names or referring to them as "that guy who did that thing".

captainbeyond
12-16-2018, 06:48 PM
I love the HTDA releases as much or even more than some of the NIN material. I am still bummed they dropped out of the 2013 voodoofest lineup because it was my only chance to see them.

That performance of "On the Wing" on the 14th is AMAZING. How can you LOVE NIN but not enjoy that? Unless you just seriously hate having another vocalist involved?

caca
12-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Mariqueen sounded fantastic and had excellent command of the stage. I wasnít expecting the HTDA songs (despite seeing them do ďParasiteĒ in Vegas), nor for her to join them for a few songs, but that mini set was IMO one of the highlights of a tour with many, MANY high points. It was a treat Iíll never forget.

NO band should be THIS great 30+ years into the game, yet here we are, and theyíll be back to give us more.

We are beyond spoiled.

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Going by the US set compared to what we've been getting the last few times in the UK and i might have to consider flying over for a future tour! Hell just for the chance to see La Mer, The Perfect Drug, AATCHB, IIT and the HTDA mini sets it would be well worth it! Though i would have to get over my hang ups of travelling alone!

Funny, I actually felt the opposite (until cold and black... started) I would always look at and envy the setlists that Europe got, and told myself "one day I'll fly over to get one of these magical sets" then I did. I flew over this year, and the sets were... ok... but not the usual "omg! This is the best ever" that was reserved for the UsA run this time... but how were we to know? Guy always keeps us on our toes. In hindsight, I would have not went to Europe knowing the US shows were going to be like this. I would have used the money and vacation time that went towards Europe to go towards seeing more shows here. I only ended up getting to see 2 shows on the US run because I was still financially recovering from Europe. But oh well. Nothing I can do now. Just my own observation.

I'll be ready for the next touring run now. I want to hit the first show of the new run wherever it may be to experience that "nobody knows what's going to happen" feeling for the first time.

I'm still one of the sole believers on this site that there will not be any shows in 2019. People are begging to differ, but I don't see the band bouncing back this quick to play shows. Trent has a lot of film and score work on his plate to finish over the next few months. I don't see NIN returning to the stage in 2019, unless one of the fall festivals offers him an obscene amount of money. Just being realistic here. He says he wants to take an extended break. An extended break to me isn't 3 or 6 months. It'll be at least a year. Unfortunate too, I would have liked a 30th anniversary PHM show. That could still happen, he could pull together a 1-off pop-up show next year to commemorate the occasion, but I don't see a tour or multiple shows happening at all. If he doesn't do anything at all in 2019 to celebrate 30 years, it's a huge missed oppertunity.

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Also, I get annoyed when people refer to her as "Trent's wife" because it's disrespectful to the guy who has given us a lot, and who also lurks around on Ye Olde Message Board.

Also it is disrespectful as shit to her. She is her own person, and her existence is not defined by who she chose to marry.

Edit - And, as someone who has never listened to HTDA, I will be now. Her voice is so controlled and beautiful. I was watching a couple of different streams, and I could not take my eyes off of her. Ice Age is the only song I caught, but I will be making it a point to listen to HTDA once the semester is over. That song grabbed me and made me feel things immediately.

Krazy
12-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Favorite setlist: the 1989-1997 one, talk about an awesome “aggressive” show! Runner up has to be the opener of the tour playing Broken from start to finish.

Least favorite: the sets that were heavy on all or some combination of HTDA, Bowie related songs, and the trilogy. Not attempting to offend anyone, just not for me.

Regardless it was awesome to be at the shows, and was fun to keep an eye on this thread and setlistfm. Can’t wait for the next tour.

Max
12-16-2018, 09:40 PM
HDTA is great and Mariqueen is a talented artist all on her own. Trent chose to marry her and make art with her and so thatís that. Like it or move on. But no one should ever be disrespecting her.

ManBurning
12-16-2018, 09:46 PM
I wonder if Trent sits there and goes on ETS at home whenever he's bored. Would be weird to have a whole website devoted to people that talk about my life and my work all day long. I know I'd be sitting there on a site like that all day long, to the point where it would be an obsession to read what people are saying about me. Wonder if it's easy for him to try and ignore and stay away from this place. I'd be tempted to come check in all the time in my downtime.

paul_guyet
12-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Also it is disrespectful as shit to her. She is her own person, and her existence is not defined by who she chose to marry.

Edit - And, as someone who has never listened to HTDA, I will be now. Her voice is so controlled and beautiful. I was watching a couple of different streams, and I could not take my eyes off of her. Ice Age is the only song I caught, but I will be making it a point to listen to HTDA once the semester is over. That song grabbed me and made me feel things immediately.You are in for some pretty amazing shit. Whether you dig Mariqueen or not, the sonics on HTDA are some of the most interesting and experimental from Reznor and company. The use of silence is fantastic.

captainbeyond
12-16-2018, 10:32 PM
^^^ Yes.

"The Space Between" hooked me immediately and is still one of my favorites to listen to. The video is amazing.

"A Drowning" is one of the most beautiful songs ever and it is one of the best songs Trent has ever composed.

"We Fade Away" has taken me places on many occasions, sober and under the influence. I also chose to listen to that song while on nitrous during a wisdom teeth removal and it resonated inside my brain. I dissolve into myself.

howdidislipinto
12-16-2018, 10:52 PM
i loved last night's show. i hate most of you assholes.

cdm
12-16-2018, 11:11 PM
This is going exactly as expected...

Sarah K
12-16-2018, 11:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/INtLO8e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

JessicaSarahS
12-16-2018, 11:15 PM

:( That’s so rude. Luckily I had a different experience and the girl behind me was super into HTDA and knew all of the lyrics. I’ve become rusty over the years— gotta study up again! ;)

loopcloses
12-17-2018, 12:01 AM
I think, opinions aside, writing off HTDA based off a few songs is kinda disengenous especially if you're already a big enough NIN fan to be posting on a fan board like a weirdo. There's three releases that have a great deal of variety to them and a lot of what's in there is very NIN-adjacent, and not in a derivative way since the instrumental section of the band and much of the vocals legit are NIN.

Nellyrific
12-17-2018, 12:32 AM
The HTDA parts of the set were one of my favorite things about these LA shows. I had tickets to see them in Vegas back then but they went to waste because I got ridiculously sick. Bbb is one of my favorites of theirs.

Also, to add to something someone mentioned earlier in the thread...referring to women by who theyíre married to, etc is extremely problematic. I remember seeing an article posted on a local paperís Facebook page recently that said ďElon Muskís girlfriend buys Pasadena homeĒ or some nonsense. As if Grimes wasnít an artist/songwriter in her own right. They changed it after a couple of us commented but thatís some bullshit...

Haysey_Draws
12-17-2018, 02:44 AM
I'd much rather TR opened up the set lists to his entire discography then just the NIN stuff (soundtracks included) HTDA's have some fucking amazing songs. Also Mariqueen sings on Less Than, so that's kinda a HTDA track if you think about it (and a fucking tune!)

Avarik
12-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Year Zero > HTDA > NIN

mauro995
12-17-2018, 03:55 AM
I would love to get a HTDA mini set in a show. Their first EP is some of my favorite music made by Trent after the 90s.

WorzelG
12-17-2018, 04:53 AM
I'd much rather TR opened up the set lists to his entire discography then just the NIN stuff (soundtracks included) HTDA's have some fucking amazing songs. Also Mariqueen sings on Less Than, so that's kinda a HTDA track if you think about it (and a fucking tune!)
I second this, hearing Hand Covers Bruise into Beside you in time in 2014 was amazing.

I have now become seriously obsessed with the version of God Break Down the Door on the pro shot Mexico feed with Trent playing sax and this incredible dissonant middle section

loopcloses
12-17-2018, 05:08 AM
This is random, but the other day I randomly imagined a wild left-field set opening with "Beside You in Time", maybe with it segueing into "Somewhat Damaged". It worked well in my head.

StockAvuryah
12-17-2018, 06:47 AM
This is random, but the other day I randomly imagined a wild left-field set opening with "Beside You in Time", maybe with it segueing into "Somewhat Damaged". It worked well in my head.

Well, it could work. (https://www.mixcloud.com/nirampbl/beside-you-in-time-somewhat-damaged/)

sweeterthan
12-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Whatís the best video of the big come down from this tour?

botley
12-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Whatís the best video of the big come down from this tour?
I nominate this one from Atlanta; slightly rough audio, but you can pretty much see what everybody is doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMJN7IfJWP4

elevenism
12-17-2018, 11:06 AM
I would love to get a HTDA mini set in a show. Their first EP is some of my favorite music made by Trent after the 90s.agreed.
I like the first ep a whole hell of a lot more than Hesitation Marks, for instance. And I like HM quite a bit.

For fuck's sake, the band is Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, with a different singer. It's odd to me that any NIN fan wouldn't love it: like really seriously weird.

Dryalex12
12-17-2018, 12:40 PM
agreed.
I like the first ep a whole hell of a lot more than Hesitation Marks, for instance. And I like HM quite a bit.

For fuck's sake, the band is Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, with a different singer. It's odd to me that any NIN fan wouldn't love it: like really seriously weird.

I guess i'm really weird then. I tried to get into them, i really did but I just couldn't get into the sound. It just wasn't for me.

neorev
12-17-2018, 12:58 PM
I'm kinda with Dryalex12 as I'm not a huge HTDA fan. I don't hate it, just get a bit bored after a while. I did like HTDA's first EP, especially The Space In Between (which they should have played live), but I felt Welcome Oblivion was hit or miss. I honestly didn't see the need to even make it a side project as it doesn't sound that much different from Trent and Atticus' work from that period. It doesn't sound that different in style from Year Zero or even Hesitation Marks.

I wasn't a huge fan of the post-With Teeth era of NIN including HTDA in that era. Ghosts and the movie scores were cool, but I only like a handful of songs from Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, Omen EP, Welcome Oblivion, etc. The trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events, was the first time since With Teeth I was excited by a NIN release. But hey, that's me. Trent has never released a bad album, but certain ones just didn't keep me enthralled from beginning to end and I tend to skip tracks on the ones mentioned. But I can put on Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth any day of the week and listen to them all of the way through. Some things about those albums just connect with me.

I kinda missed when Trent mixed up live instruments and live drums with electronics. Year Zero and so on got very electronic sounding (and I love electronic music), but it became a bit samey sounding after a while. I missed some of the live percussion that would come in and think that's what's missing on albums like Year Zero or Welcome Oblivion or Hesitation Marks. I prefer the live versions of tracks from these albums with the full live band. I'd give anything for a studio version of In Two the way it sounded and was performed with the Tension live band. From Year Zero on, things started to get a bit more artificial sounding and I dunno why, because I love electronic music, but it lost me a little bit.

I'm happy we got the trilogy. A smile broke across my face when I first heard Not The Actual Events. I couldn't control my glee. That hasn't happen to me since With Teeth. I put it up there with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Broken, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine.

cdm
12-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Tour thoughts: Fucking incredible. I've seen shows from 7 or 8 tours going back to 2000 and this was by far the best, even better than Wave Goodbye. Yes, the WG sets were varied and vast but the line-up was missing something. Trent, Atticus, Robin, Alessandro, Ilan is my favorite version of the band and I hope there are no lineup changes from here on out barring any milkshake duck situations. I know many others have said it already but I'll say it again: to be almost 30 (!!!) years into the band and for it to still feel fresh and exciting and relevant is seriously impressive. I'm very thankful to have had the chance to see multiple shows and each one felt different and exciting. On the off-chance Teitan or anyone else in the band reads this: thank you for a fucking amazing set of shows.

HTDA thoughts: First off, I love the HTDA music. I saw them in 2013 and I'll go see them again if they tour. I'm really excited for new material and the fact they took time to rehearse that much material seems promising.

My personal taste aside, you get what the band decides to give you. If you bought tickets to any one of these shows and didn't expect a better than 50% chance you might see some HTDA songs with Mariqueen...then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying you have to like them but to bitch about as if you're missing out of something owed to you...that's not a good take. Personally I don't care for Dead Souls and I wasn't particularly enthused about the Bowie covers but I know, especially in this new era of expanded set lists, that they might pop up here and there. Roll with it. And before anyone gets their underwear in a wad this wasn't directed at anyone in particular. But one sure fire way to sour what seems like a pretty upbeat mood post-tour is for TR to log on here and read some of the bullshit up above. None of us want that.

Carry on.

botley
12-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!

ryanmcfly
12-17-2018, 03:41 PM
I was so happy to get to experience 5 shows on this tour, and 7 since the 2007 run. Best run of shows I've seen by any band ever. Well, maybe tied with Dillinger for their last touring cycle, that too was nuts.

JessicaSarahS
12-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Remember kids, it's Christmastime, no more moaning about setlists or Santa won't leave soundboards in your stocking!

Honestly, there shouldn’t be any setlist complaints! This has been the best run of shows I’ve experienced yet— the variety and energy is something that I’ve always wanted as a fan that attends multiple shows. I hope other bands that I like that were in attendance are taking notes from NIN on how to structure a fresh set. ;)

ricardo
12-17-2018, 05:25 PM
I'm kinda with @Dryalex12 (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2622) as I'm not a huge HTDA fan. I don't hate it, just get a bit bored after a while. I did like HTDA's first EP, especially The Space In Between (which they should have played live), but I felt Welcome Oblivion was hit or miss. I honestly didn't see the need to even make it a side project as it doesn't sound that much different from Trent and Atticus' work from that period. It doesn't sound that different in style from Year Zero or even Hesitation Marks.

I wasn't a huge fan of the post-With Teeth era of NIN including HTDA in that era. Ghosts and the movie scores were cool, but I only like a handful of songs from Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, Omen EP, Welcome Oblivion, etc. The trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events, was the first time since With Teeth I was excited by a NIN release. But hey, that's me. Trent has never released a bad album, but certain ones just didn't keep me enthralled from beginning to end and I tend to skip tracks on the ones mentioned. But I can put on Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth any day of the week and listen to them all of the way through. Some things about those albums just connect with me.

I kinda missed when Trent mixed up live instruments and live drums with electronics. Year Zero and so on got very electronic sounding (and I love electronic music), but it became a bit samey sounding after a while. I missed some of the live percussion that would come in and think that's what's missing on albums like Year Zero or Welcome Oblivion or Hesitation Marks. I prefer the live versions of tracks from these albums with the full live band. I'd give anything for a studio version of In Two the way it sounded and was performed with the Tension live band. From Year Zero on, things started to get a bit more artificial sounding and I dunno why, because I love electronic music, but it lost me a little bit.

I'm happy we got the trilogy. A smile broke across my face when I first heard Not The Actual Events. I couldn't control my glee. That hasn't happen to me since With Teeth. I put it up there with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Broken, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine.

Wow, I completely agree with everything.

sonic_discord
12-17-2018, 06:11 PM
I wasn't lucky enough to have gone to 5, 6, or 7 shows like many of you, but I do feel lucky as hell to have experienced the two AMAZING shows I was fortunate enough to attend. I've said it several times in other threads, but between the two shows I attended, there were only six songs played at both shows and I got to see several of my favorite songs for the first time, including the priceless experience of witnessing the live debut of AATCHB. They were easily among the best concerts I've ever seen (and I go to a lot shows).

Max
12-17-2018, 06:59 PM
I went to my first concert of any kind in almost twenty years to see them in ATL. I donít care about going to concerts. The people ruin the experience for me. I just care about the music. But I stood in line for hours and bought my ticket and I am so glad I saw them on night 2. What a great tour. I would change anything about any of it. The way we had to buy the tickets, the smaller venues, the set lists, I think it was all great. In the future we might look back at this as the good old days.

loopcloses
12-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Well, it could work. (https://www.mixcloud.com/nirampbl/beside-you-in-time-somewhat-damaged/)
This is very cool! What I was thinking with the ordering would be you have this one song that's very spacey, with a bit of an ethereal quality, that's almost entirely build-up and tension, acting as sort of a prologue to the night ahead, and the the droning synth 8ths at the end aren't dissimilar from the live Somewhat Damaged intro, which of course explodes and launches the audience into the rest of the set.

I love experimenting with weird track sequences and seeing how the rhythm and pace of the tracklist/setlist changes, and one of my favorite things I don't see as much as I'd like is weird openers that throw you for a loop from what you're expecting and that has a sort of sonic disconnect but thematic tie to everything that follows. Like "Now I'm Nothing". Doesn't sound much like any recorded NIN song I can think of and it's likely that much of the crowd in attendance doesn't know it even if they own all the records, but then it leads seamlessly into Terrible Lie.

TheRealNs1
12-17-2018, 09:33 PM
for anyone into technical production details (all 3 of you)...

https://www.livedesignonline.com/concerts/lighting-plots-gear-nin-cold-and-black-and-infinite-tour

Helpmeiaminhell
12-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Dear teitan,

For xmas this year, I would like a nice crystal clear SBD recording in lossless format of the December 11 show (1989-1994 setlist)

botley
12-17-2018, 10:09 PM
for anyone into technical production details (all 3 of you)...

https://www.livedesignonline.com/concerts/lighting-plots-gear-nin-cold-and-black-and-infinite-tour

I had all these plots saved to my phone for months, LOL. It's actually a fairly restrained setup, by NIN's standards, and yet the programming/design possibilities were quite broad and really effectively used throughout the tour. Even without teh LASERS y'all got to see in L.A.!

eachpassingphase
12-17-2018, 10:21 PM

Dear Santa,

I know that there are lots of assholes here(!), but most of us have been good ALL YEAR.

All I want for Christmas is some DE Year Zero.

PLEASE SANTA.

eversonpoe
12-17-2018, 10:58 PM

your stocking is big enough that a soundboard will fit in it? damn. :p

SM Rollinger
12-17-2018, 11:05 PM
I wasn't lucky enough to have gone to 5, 6, or 7 shows like many of you, but I do feel lucky as hell to have experienced the two AMAZING shows I was fortunate enough to attend. I've said it several times in other threads, but between the two shows I attended, there were only six songs played at both shows and I got to see several of my favorite songs for the first time, including the priceless experience of witnessing the live debut of AATCHB. They were easily among the best concerts I've ever seen (and I go to a lot shows).
Aragon Nite 2 was the best concert I have ever been to, period. And I also go to alot of shows.

From waiting in line for 3 hours, actually getting the foil print I wanted, the DECIMATING setlist I never would even DARED to dream up. The venue itself, AND ALL THAT COULD HAVE BEEN, getting a killer tape in a venue that is notorious for shitty acoustics. I could go on and on.

I still haven't fully processed it, it was that good.

captainbeyond
12-17-2018, 11:15 PM
This is very cool! What I was thinking with the ordering would be you have this one song that's very spacey, with a bit of an ethereal quality, that's almost entirely build-up and tension, acting as sort of a prologue to the night ahead, and the the droning synth 8ths at the end aren't dissimilar from the live Somewhat Damaged intro, which of course explodes and launches the audience into the rest of the set.

I love experimenting with weird track sequences and seeing how the rhythm and pace of the tracklist/setlist changes, and one of my favorite things I don't see as much as I'd like is weird openers that throw you for a loop from what you're expecting and that has a sort of sonic disconnect but thematic tie to everything that follows. Like "Now I'm Nothing". Doesn't sound much like any recorded NIN song I can think of and it's likely that much of the crowd in attendance doesn't know it even if they own all the records, but then it leads seamlessly into Terrible Lie.

Dude I was already right on board with you before I even read this reply. I had the same idea in mind about the outro to BYIT and the synth notes at the beginning of the live Somewhat Damaged once you mentioned it in your initial post!

botley
12-18-2018, 07:16 AM
your stocking is big enough that a soundboard will fit in it? damn. :p
You know what they say. Big feet, big... thirst for soundboards.

henryeatscereal
12-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Between both Mexico shows i got to hear live: "Mr Self Destruct", "Reptile", "The Perfect Drug", "I'm Afraid of Americans", "Happiness in Slavery" and "Even Deeper" (among many other awesome songs...)

No complaints from me!

ryanmcfly
12-18-2018, 01:50 PM
The only mild complaint i had was how similar Night 1 in Irving was to the San Antonio show. Throwing in ATLITW, Over and Out, and This Isn't the Place was awesome, not gonna lie, but REALLY wanted to see Last or Now I'm Nothing as the opener as opposed to Mr. Self Destruct.

Prettybrokenspiral
12-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Both DC shows and Chicago night 2 blew away anything from the six LA shows. Be sorry you missed those if you did..

Krazy
12-18-2018, 06:35 PM
I had all these plots saved to my phone for months, LOL. It's actually a fairly restrained setup, by NIN's standards, and yet the programming/design possibilities were quite broad and really effectively used throughout the tour. Even without teh LASERS y'all got to see in L.A.!

Yeah, that link was posted some time back. Still fun to look at though.

Cooy of a looked great on this tour, loved what they did with the scrolling shadows. They really did the most with the least IMHO, and the stobes were fantastic.

As for “TEH LAYYYY-ZORSSS!!!”... not sure how I feel about NIN using it. I fully understand Tool neither invented lasers nor were the first band to use them, but I always associate the use of lasers with Tool shows since they incorporate them so well within their production. No need for the nut job Tool fans to scream “Trent stole Tool’s lighting!!!”. The other thing is SO many bands are using them these days too so it’s not quite as “special” seeing as it was some years ago. If Trent decides to do another high production tour I’m curious to see if he puts them in. Also weird that they were only used in LA. From my understanding there are actual “laser techs” involved with lighting, which would add to the crew.

paul_guyet
12-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that link was posted some time back. Still fun to look at though.

Cooy of a looked great on this tour, loved what they did with the scrolling shadows. They really did the most with the least IMHO, and the stobes were fantastic.

As for “TEH LAYYYY-ZORSSS!!!”... not sure how I feel about NIN using it. I fully understand Tool neither invented lasers nor were the first band to use them, but I always associate the use of lasers with Tool shows since they incorporate them so well within their production. No need for the nut job Tool fans to scream “Trent stole Tool’s lighting!!!”. The other thing is SO many bands are using them these days too so it’s not quite as “special” seeing as it was some years ago. If Trent decides to do another high production tour I’m curious to see if he puts them in. Also weird that they were only used in LA. From my understanding there are actual “laser techs” involved with lighting, which would add to the crew.The lasers I could take or leave, but the NIN Christmas logo...?

Krazy
12-18-2018, 07:20 PM
The lasers I could take or leave, but the NIN Christmas logo...?

Say who what and where???...

Rubeninphoenix
12-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Say who what and where???...Say no more fam!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181219/7d52a37e21cb9ad50b7c982135e722f5.jpg