PDA

View Full Version : COLD and BLACK and INFINITE - The Fall 2018 NIN Tour SPOILERS THREAD

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Tumnayar
11-25-2018, 10:56 PM
Looks like AATCHB????? That song needs to be a show staple!!

frankie teardrop
11-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Redacted

Sarah K
11-25-2018, 11:50 PM
https://imgur.com/a/ZQUtlN2 https://i.imgur.com/DxLDREm.jpg

ophelia_
11-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Omg AATCHB... need footage asap. *heart eyes*

WorzelG
11-26-2018, 01:54 AM
I havent yet seen footage of both Aatchb going into Hurt but what kind of downer would that be? I’m intrigued as to how it comes across in a set

Esperanzan
11-26-2018, 02:44 AM
One of the quirkiest and most obscure setlists I've seen this tour. Even without a tour debut this is a pretty great way to end the New Orleans dates.

halo eighteen
11-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Wow, guess lightning struck twice after all. Lucky peeps!

paul_guyet
11-26-2018, 08:50 AM
One of the quirkiest and most obscure setlists I've seen this tour. Even without a tour debut this is a pretty great way to end the New Orleans dates.Agreed. that set is fantastic, AATCHB into Hurt would be the perfect transition for me, but I am utterly gobsmacked that New Orleans didn't get at least one new song.

Haysey_Draws
11-26-2018, 09:02 AM
M-maybe we aren't going to get any more new live songs...I mean frankly i'm still AMAZED TPD is a staple live song now!

Papagolash
11-26-2018, 09:09 AM
What version of Pinion was it, the normal version or the kick ass drawn out one from 94-95?

edit: Just saw a video on YouTube, it's the album version.

xolotl
11-26-2018, 09:31 AM
I am utterly gobsmacked that New Orleans didn't get at least one new song.

I am, of course, certainly hoping for at least one more tour debut (else that whole other thread of mine is a wee bit pointless), but I'm not too surprised that we haven't seen any new ones yet. They did three in a row during the Chicago sets, and I assume they didn't really do any big rehearsals or whatever during their monthlong break. I suspect they may just be letting those sink in a bit, and getting used to being on the road again. I'd been thinking when I started the other thread that if we're going to see new additions, the most likely time was probably gonna be during that big ol' LA residency -- six shows in a row seem ripe for some surprises.

Though as always, we must temper our hopes with the fact that this tour has already been bloody lunacy with all the stuff we've been getting. Even if they're through adding new songs, this is a tour for the records.

paul_guyet
11-26-2018, 09:32 AM
M-maybe we aren't going to get any more new live songs...I mean frankly i'm still AMAZED TPD is a staple live song now!I'm 100% with you. Anyone actually COMPLAINING after what NIN have done thus far would be out of their minds, but, still...SIX SHOWS in LA with not ONE NEW SONG? If I stand before you today gobsmacked that NOLA, Reznor's base of operations for a very pivotal part of his life didn't get one new song,...well, I might actually DIE if all six nights go by without something special.

Haysey_Draws
11-26-2018, 10:03 AM
What if one of the shows was a Still show, JUST IMAGINE!!?

Joking aside if we do get any more tour debuts it'll be there, but if we don't this is still a freaking amazing tour!

StockAvuryah
11-26-2018, 10:36 AM
https://imgur.com/a/ZQUtlN2 https://i.imgur.com/DxLDREm.jpg

Fucking hell a second Subterraneans ! Another AATCHB ! Lots of Year Zero ! That's a setlist from heaven.

paul_guyet
11-26-2018, 11:50 AM
What if one of the shows was a Still show, JUST IMAGINE!!?

Joking aside if we do get any more tour debuts it'll be there, but if we don't this is still a freaking amazing tour!Oh hell yes. The only complaint I could reasonably see someone having is that they didn’t go to enough dates.

Dryalex12
11-26-2018, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUeue02M70

paul_guyet
11-26-2018, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUeue02M70Fucking Jesus hopping on a pony's cock CHRIST that is beautiful.

Also...that's the closest non-pro shot video I have ever seen. Confuckinggrats on what must have been a ridiculous experience!

implanted_microchip
11-26-2018, 12:44 PM
With how many songs are in rotation and how many are deep as fuck cuts I couldn’t care less about more debuts. 3 nights in Chicago and I still didn’t see a bunch of things they’ve played this tour. It’s a huge list with almost no weak spots.

Sarah K
11-26-2018, 12:47 PM
I really don't think any more songs will be debuting unless LA gets a front to back album night.

If we get more, great! Just seems a bit unrealistic at this point. They have what, upwards of 70 songs in rotation right now?

implanted_microchip
11-26-2018, 01:02 PM
Yeah it's a crazy list and it's a lot less covers than on Wave Goodbye so I think if you only count originals and studio-released covers, it's to be pretty much equal to that 09 run. It's insane! And if no extra songs means people get to see stuff like AATCHB and Perfect Drug multiple times, I don't see how they can complain.

ryanmcfly
11-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Honestly, the only cover I want to see them do is Atmosphere.

implanted_microchip
11-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Honestly, the only cover I want to see them do is Atmosphere.

I would like for Dead Souls to come back after being played at Red Rocks and promptly abandoned. It's as essential to that Self Destruct tour aesthetic as Happiness in Slavery is in my mind and would be such a cool encore opener. At this rate you could have been at multiple runs this tour and not seen close to everything they're doing. Between the energy, stage presence and ability to play fucking whatever they want to at any time this is easily my favorite lineup they've ever had.

ryanmcfly
11-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I would like for Dead Souls to come back after being played at Red Rocks and promptly abandoned. It's as essential to that Self Destruct tour aesthetic as Happiness in Slavery is in my mind and would be such a cool encore opener. At this rate you could have been at multiple runs this tour and not seen close to everything they're doing. Between the energy, stage presence and ability to play fucking whatever they want to at any time this is easily my favorite lineup they've ever had.

Yes to all of this. I love Dead Souls, but I've seen it a couple times (austin 2009 and red rocks 2018.) Atmosphere without Peter Murphy is a dream. Wish they would have put out the Wave Goodbye footage from LA with that. That's probably my favorite Joy Division song.

I've been to three shows so far on this tour, both red rocks shows and San Antonio. I'm going to both Irving shows this week and I am really hoping for different stuff than those three. Really hoping for Now I'm Nothing, AATCHB, and Last.

botley
11-27-2018, 06:50 AM
YAAAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YypIsX5Mct8

mauro995
11-27-2018, 07:12 AM
YAAAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YypIsX5Mct8

This song is one hell of an opener.

ryanmcfly
11-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Branches/Bones is probably my third favorite opener that I've seen behind Somewhat Damaged and Mr. Self Destruct.

That being said, I really want Somewhat Damaged as an opener either tonight or tomorrow. My best friend's favorite album is The Fragile and his two favorite songs are The Wretched and AATCHB, so I'm hoping for The Fragile tease and AATCHB for him.

henryeatscereal
11-27-2018, 08:18 AM
After watching them open with "Mr. Self Destruct" i can't imagine any other opener for NIN...

Sarah K
11-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Yeppp. I like all of them. Super stoked to get a couple of SD openers this year. I waited so long! Now I'm Nothing into Terrible Lie is amazing. But holy shit that Mr Self Destruct opener is beyond words.

fillow
11-27-2018, 12:01 PM
They should try opening with HLAH again. Worked pretty good for them in 2000 and 2005.

Papagolash
11-27-2018, 12:47 PM
My NIN week is here, tonight and tomorrow in Dallas, then this weekend in Vegas, WOOOO!!!

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-27-2018, 01:04 PM
I think I’ve decided I’m gonna start stashing money for whenever the next tour is gonna be and be more adequately prepared. I likely won’t be able to make it to the last two LA shows like I’d hoped, and it’s kind of a bummer, but I did get to see more shows on this tour than I have any other tour in my life, so I really can’t complain or feel too badly. :p

magnolia
11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
AATCHB from Sunday night in NOLA.

https://youtu.be/C0agU5FpTXI

paul_guyet
11-27-2018, 02:06 PM
They should try opening with HLAH again. Worked pretty good for them in 2000 and 2005.That was so delightfully weird. For one second I was like...are they just going to play Hurt and leave?

StockAvuryah
11-27-2018, 03:17 PM
AATCHB from Sunday night in NOLA.

https://youtu.be/C0agU5FpTXI

fuck that scream

Max
11-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Man that performance was amazing on my phone just now. Canít imagine it in person.

Also: Whoever is doing the lights is slaying it on this song. Itís like a work of art in and of itself.

Esperanzan
11-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Arghhhhh the lack of setlist updates since the tour came back have been killing me! First world problems...

Like setlist.fm is saying that Mr. Self Destruct and March of the Pigs have been played (and not necessarily in that order.) Could that mean a full TDS is happening right now?

AThousandDaysBefore
11-27-2018, 11:13 PM
it looks The hand that feeds return to the setlists as a regular song

ryanmcfly
11-27-2018, 11:41 PM
Great show. Got the setlist that was on Trent’s keyboard. It’s on my Instagram, same username. Trent said he remembered carrying Vinnie Paul out of a gentlemen’s club a couple times. He also talked shit about Ted Cruz.

m0reta
11-27-2018, 11:54 PM
Thank you ryanmcfly!
BqtkY6wFZuY

magnolia
11-28-2018, 12:38 AM
He also talked shit about Ted Cruz.
I fucking love hearing this.

Papagolash
11-28-2018, 02:50 AM
Since there isn't a tour journal for tonights show yet, I'll post this here. So tonight some cunt bitch threw her beer at me and was yelling at me because I was standing. I turned around and yelled at her to fucking stand. Then her cunt boyfriend poured beer onto my hoodie, shirts, and friends jacket all in my seat. Luckily my friend saw this an told security who kicked them out. This all occurred within the 1st 5 minutes of NIN. After that the show was a fucking blast.

Man the lighting for This Isn't the Place and for Over and Out is so fucking good. Can't wait to see what's in store for tomorrow....well tonight now.

elevenism
11-28-2018, 04:31 AM
Since there isn't a tour journal for tonights show yet, I'll post this here. So tonight some cunt bitch threw her beer at me and was yelling at me because I was standing. I turned around and yelled at her to fucking stand. Then her cunt boyfriend poured beer onto my hoodie, shirts, and friends jacket all in my seat. Luckily my friend saw this an told security who kicked them out. This all occurred within the 1st 5 minutes of NIN. After that the show was a fucking blast.

Man the lighting for This Isn't the Place and for Over and Out is so fucking good. Can't wait to see what's in store for tomorrow....well tonight now.
JESUS. They threw and poured beer on you? Good god!

mostlymad
11-28-2018, 07:05 AM

I really hope you get to be around better neighbors this time. I can't believe they were that disgusting.

SM Rollinger
11-28-2018, 07:52 AM

This is one of the many reasons I hate alcohol.

Ill take this opportunity to send a big FUCK YOU to the drunk shirtless asshole that stood in front of me, staring at me, during HiS night 2 Chicago. I realize I cant do anything to control the crowd while im taping, and different people enjoy concerts differently, but getting up in some ones face because they politely move you along is uncalled for.

Sorry if i came across as rude to the taller dude who asked if he could stand next to me by the soundboard. Im sure you understand why now. But your friend was a clapping machine!

And a big THANK YOU to the guy who gave me the chocolate when we were standing in line! I don't take candy from strangers , but NIN and marijuana has always gone hand in hand with me!

mauro995
11-28-2018, 08:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL2-KFRAks0&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3pkb8oIbrv7uBz 4ZDThjvZe8tJOiNO1iKW8Lrdgjcosja_UnVza38Xz0A

bobbie solo
11-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Since there isn't a tour journal for tonights show yet, I'll post this here. So tonight some cunt bitch threw her beer at me and was yelling at me because I was standing. I turned around and yelled at her to fucking stand. Then her cunt boyfriend poured beer onto my hoodie, shirts, and friends jacket all in my seat. Luckily my friend saw this an told security who kicked them out.

I'd imagine their favorite song is Trent's Johnny Cash cover.

or Everything.

paul_guyet
11-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Can I be a dick and say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So23SFwBVvI

Glad they got kicked out. Fuckers.

sonic_discord
11-28-2018, 05:54 PM
bobbie solo Nah, it's their hit song "I wanna fuck you like an animal."

ricardo
11-28-2018, 06:32 PM
vid

Trent looks so badass in God Break Down the Door. Best part of the concert so far for me. Thanks for sharing.

Papagolash
11-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Trent looks so badass in God Break Down the Door. Best part of the concert so far for me. Thanks for sharing.

I was very sour on that song thec1st time I heard it but I've since warmed up to it. This live version setup that they've been doing with Trent on sax and drawn out middle part is so ridiculously good, so so good. And Ilan is an absolute beast on the drums.

Esperanzan
11-28-2018, 11:29 PM
Set is up. Starting to get worried about the lack of new songs.

BRoswell
11-28-2018, 11:40 PM
Starting to get worried about the lack of new songs.

Not sure why. This tour has featured one of the most diverse group of songs that has ever been played.

Reznorection
11-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Legit can't believe they played And All That Could Been.

That's always my dream NIN get. This tour's setlists are incredible.

mostlymad
11-29-2018, 01:13 AM
So ďEraserĒ really got played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papagolash
11-29-2018, 01:41 AM
So “Eraser” really got played?

Yes, yes it did!

poro765
11-29-2018, 02:55 AM
Sanctified with Please interpolation? Is that a typo or a new arrangement?

serotoninXxX
11-29-2018, 03:33 AM
It was the Sunspots interpolation, but I'm pretty sure the synth was on a different sound bank of something, it definitely sounded weird. Atticus'(I'm guessing) setup was acting up a bit tonight. The Great Destroyer breakdown almost fell apart right as it started, and a HUGE bass rumble happened near the beginning of Hurt ;)

mostlymad
11-29-2018, 03:33 AM

The one I saw had a few lines from ďPleaseĒ in it, too. Think those posting the setlist are just adding that now. Maybe it should be ďPlease/Sunspots interpolation?Ē

Esperanzan
11-29-2018, 04:27 AM
Not sure why. This tour has featured one of the most diverse group of songs that has ever been played.

Oh absolutely, and these setlists are kickass. Just doesn't bode well for any more new songs being added into the rotation which would be exciting e.g. Down In It, Get Down Make Love.

poro765
11-29-2018, 05:14 AM
The one I saw had a few lines from “Please” in it, too. Think those posting the setlist are just adding that now. Maybe it should be “Please/Sunspots interpolation?”

Can you tell me when or where you witnessed it live? A video would be better.
Last time I saw them I'm pretty sure it was just Sunspots.

mostlymad
11-29-2018, 05:59 AM
Can you tell me when or where you witnessed it live? A video would be better.
Last time I saw them I'm pretty sure it was just Sunspots.

Nashville. It's just this little bit of "just like now... just like now" but I noticed it, too. https://youtu.be/_ZpoGDd8td4?t=84

cdm
11-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Nashville. It's just this little bit of "just like now... just like now" but I noticed it, too. https://youtu.be/_ZpoGDd8td4?t=84

That song is so fucking good live.

Reznorection
11-29-2018, 10:24 AM
When was Down In It last played?

I wonder if Trent doesn't want to play that song because it was so synonymous with the chaos of nineties shows? He always went batshit during that song, which I found hilarious since it's a goofy song.

Nellyrific
11-29-2018, 10:29 AM

I wonder if Trent doesn't want to play that song because it was so synonymous with the chaos of nineties shows? He always went batshit during that song, which I found hilarious since it's a goofy song.

Wave Goodbye tour [emoji1305]

botley
11-29-2018, 02:05 PM
"It's fun to be in New York. We played... if you go back to the very beginning of Nine Inch Nails, we played some TERRIBLE shows here in New York. None of you is old enough to have been to any of those. You? (pointing to someone in the crowd) Okay. Then you know it sucked. What? Jesus and Mary Chain? That show didn't suck. I'm talking about the ones that REALLY sucked, before that. Anyway, we've done some sucking, in our day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zg2HNEH6NA

buckaroo
11-29-2018, 02:15 PM

I would love if they permanently replaced Head Like a Hole with Down In It.

Papagolash
11-29-2018, 02:36 PM

If memory serves me right then this is accurate. I couldn't pinpoint it to please when I heard it but there was a part where Trent kept whispering, repeating "just like now".

Papagolash
11-29-2018, 02:47 PM

Hoping this works. My friend got a photo of these doucheturds right before being removed. Here's the piece of shit that poured his beer onto my stuff, still holding the beer he did it with.
https://imgur.com/mcoqIvM
https://imgur.com/mcoqIvMhttps://i.imgur.com/mcoqIvM.jpg

And the twatwaffle that decided throwing her can of beer at me 20 seconds into Mr. Self Destruct was a good life choice.
https://i.imgur.com/NvhKwt1.jpg

Sadly they weren't kicked out. They were given the option of being moved to the last row in the venue or being kicked out, so they chose the seats. Head security guard did tell me that they left about 20 minutes later.

ryanmcfly
11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
I would love if they permanently replaced Head Like a Hole with Down In It.

Nah. Take out THTF and put Down in It in that spot. That would be absolutely perfect.

StockAvuryah
11-29-2018, 03:26 PM
"It's fun to be in New York. We played... if you go back to the very beginning of Nine Inch Nails, we played some TERRIBLE shows here in New York. None of you is old enough to have been to any of those. You? (pointing to someone in the crowd) Okay. Then you know it sucked. What? Jesus and Mary (Chain)? That show didn't suck. I'm talking about the ones that REALLY sucked, way back before that. Anyway, we've done some sucking, in our day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zg2HNEH6NA

well shit that works approximately 1300% better live, thank you for that

paul_guyet
11-29-2018, 06:27 PM
Hoping this works. My friend got a photo of these doucheturds right before being removed. Here's the piece of shit that poured his beer onto my stuff, still holding the beer he did it with.
https://imgur.com/mcoqIvM
https://imgur.com/mcoqIvMhttps://i.imgur.com/mcoqIvM.jpg

And the twatwaffle that decided throwing her can of beer at me 20 seconds into Mr. Self Destruct was a good life choice.
https://i.imgur.com/NvhKwt1.jpg

Sadly they weren't kicked out. They were given the option of being moved to the last row in the venue or being kicked out, so they chose the seats. Head security guard did tell me that they left about 20 minutes later.Dude! You didn't tell us they were models!!!

Also: who in the fuck SITS at the start of a NIN show? Unless they're in a wheelchair.

FULLMETAL
11-29-2018, 07:58 PM
I think this is an excellent study of econcert enthusiasts:

The woman sitting down is probably there to hear one of the radio hits while her husband is happy to be out and drinking in public instead of on the couch. I won’t fault her for sitting as we don’t know the sort of day she had prior to the gig, but throwing beers is never appropriate (much less having your trained oaf pour drinks onto someone’s personal belongings).

The woman standing with her arms folded works in local radio & might be a bit jaded from all the shows passing through her market.

The woman with her arms raised, metal horns at the ready, is expecting to have her face melted & probably should be closer to the stage so the band can feed off her excitement.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-29-2018, 08:00 PM
I think this is an excellent study of econcert enthusiasts:

The woman sitting down is probably there to hear one of the radio hits while her husband is happy to be out and drinking in public instead of on the couch. I won’t fault her for sitting as we don’t know the sort of day she had prior to the gig, but throwing beers is never appropriate (much less having your trained oaf pour drinks onto someone’s personal belongings).

The woman standing with her arms folded works in local radio & might be a bit jaded from all the shows passing through her market.

The woman with her arms raised, metal horns at the ready, is expecting to have her face melted & probably should be closer to the stage so the band can feed off her excitement.

I’ll have you know, my mind read that entire post in the voice of David Attenborough.

SM Rollinger
11-29-2018, 10:52 PM
Down In It fucking rocks

xolotl
11-29-2018, 10:57 PM
Also: who in the fuck SITS at the start of a NIN show? Unless they're in a wheelchair.

Please don't take this as a defense of the specific beer-can-throwing, beer-dumping, obnoxious troglodytes you had the misfortune of being near, but there are plenty of reasons why someone might need to sit down, or strongly prefer sitting down, at shows -- even for bands like NIN. Let folks enjoy their shows however they want to, yeah? (So long as they're not throwing beer cans at you, dumping beer on your stuff, or just being assholes in general, of course.)

Papagolash
11-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Dude! You didn't tell us they were models!!!

One of my friends with me sat the whole time, aside from when he went to get security. He has a bad hip at the moment so standing was out of the question for him. I have a bad back and there have been some times myself that I've sat for a song or two for a breather if I had seats because it hurt to stand. I'm actually not looking forward to standing at the 2 Vegas shows because I have GA and I know my back. Luckily it's been in good shape the last few weeks, knock on wood.

paul_guyet
11-30-2018, 08:50 AM
One of my friends with me sat the whole time, aside from when he went to get security. He has a bad hip at the moment so standing was out of the question for him. I have a bad back and there have been some times myself that I've sat for a song or two for a breather if I had seats because it hurt to stand. I'm actually not looking forward to standing at the 2 Vegas shows because I have GA and I know my back. Luckily it's been in good shape the last few weeks, knock on wood.Absolutely not judging folks who prefer to sit. I had spinal surgery last year and I know how awkward it can be at public events when everyone is standing and freaking out and I'm sitting quietly. I'm more giving her shit because A. she was demanding that others ruin their experience because she wanted/needed her own, specific experience and B. her solution to everyone in front of her not quietly sitting down was to throw beer and have her homunculus do the same. Sorry to come off as a wang.

ekrekel
11-30-2018, 10:56 AM
The live vocal processing Atticus was doing during Me, I'm Not was interesting. Other than using the mini-mega-phone as of late does anyone recall Trent doing much voice processing on stage? I can only remember him using clean vocal feeds.

ryanmcfly
11-30-2018, 11:02 AM
The live vocal processing Atticus was doing during Me, I'm Not was interesting. Other than using the mini-mega-phone as of late does anyone recall Trent doing much voice processing on stage? I can only remember him using clean vocal feeds.

Atticus also used it during the end of survivalism. Trent used vocal effects during The Warning. That's the main one from before this tour that I remember.

botley
11-30-2018, 01:29 PM
"Starfuckers" and "You Know What You Are?" had TR-manipulated vocal processing in 2005/2006 I think. He also has the delay trigger thingy on his microphone stand to switch echo repeats on and off. They have also used an octave harmonizer on his voice for high harmonies since 2014.

Esperanzan
11-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Alright, maybe Vegas will be the place for live setlist updates... maybe...

sick among the pure
11-30-2018, 10:11 PM

Reasons I hate having a seat.

K-Rice
11-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Somewhat damaged
wish
motp
piggy
this isn’t the place
shit mirror
ahead of ourselves
god break down the door
i can’t give everything away (I’ve been a Bowie kick lately. I’m not crying; you’re crying!)
Subterraneans
cop of a
Survivalism
gave up
big come down
hand that feeds
head like a hole

all the love in the world
even deeper
over and out
hurt

I give the show a 8/10

Esperanzan
11-30-2018, 11:46 PM
Somewhat damaged
wish
motp
piggy
this isn’t the place

i’ll edit when I can

Legend, thank you

nooneimportant
12-01-2018, 12:19 AM

He used distortion effects during Gave Up and Burn in 94/95. One of my favorite versions of Gave Up is from the Dissonance tour and Trent's voice sounds like he's singing through a broken machine.

Esperanzan
12-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Looks like almost a typical festival set so far (with the exception of the Bowie covers, great whenever they show up!)

edit: yeah probably one of the dullest setlists so far, next to Memphis. Still damn good though.

K-Rice
12-01-2018, 01:00 AM
No new suprises or super deep cuts tonight. The Bowie section was awesome. I’ve missed the live updates on here lately so I took it upon myself to do it. Tomorrow night should be interesting.

WorzelG
12-01-2018, 04:15 AM
Honestly seeing some negative comments in the tour journal depresses me, I think some fans are basically unpleaseable at this point.

StockAvuryah
12-01-2018, 05:12 AM
Honestly seeing some negative comments in the tour journal depresses me, I think some fans are basically unpleaseable at this point.

some relevant quotes

"There's a couple Nine Inch Nails forums that are ... very niche-y for the people that can't be pleased" ~Teitan

"Some hard-to-please motherfuckers around here." ~fillow

fillow
12-01-2018, 05:54 AM
"Some hard-to-please motherfuckers around here." ~fillow

That would also be teitan, I was quoting him

TheBang
12-01-2018, 06:27 AM
"Starfuckers" and "You Know What You Are?" had TR-manipulated vocal processing in 2005/2006 I think. He also has the delay trigger thingy on his microphone stand to switch echo repeats on and off.
Yeah, he's using it to great effect for Starfuckers this tour. I don't think they had the microphone stand trigger for 2005-2007, so I'm not sure how he did it for Starfuckers then. He did not do a stutter effect on Starfuckers during 1999-2000 or 2008.

botley
12-01-2018, 06:46 AM
I don't think they had the microphone stand trigger for 2005-2007, so I'm not sure how he did it for Starfuckers then. He did not do a stutter effect on Starfuckers during 1999-2000 or 2008.
They would swap in a special mic stand with a Doepfer R2M ribbon controller built into it just for the songs where he was using the delay/retrigger effect — you can see TR use this on "You Know What You Are?" and "March of the Pigs" from the Beside You in Time Blu-ray. When they moved to using Mainstage software for vocal effects in 2008, they switched to what appears to be a simple MIDI trigger on a button/foot pedal.

Here is more geeky data about how they used Mainstage (https://www.mixonline.com/.amp/technology/nine-inch-nails-mainstage-tech-mat-mitchell-interview-378158) (I believe this is still the case today — everyone is using controllers tied to Mainstage to get a feed from TR's mic).

Setlist-complaining posts about the incredible last few show lists can fuck off.

paul_guyet
12-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Honestly seeing some negative comments in the tour journal depresses me, I think some fans are basically unpleaseable at this point.This bums me out so fucking much. Can't believe some fans are already spoiled. We've got the pleasure of STILL HAVING Nine Inch Nails after three decades. No one's quit or died. On top of that we get THIS TOUR with THIS MASSIVE collection of songs, and some of us are bitching. Blows my fucking mind. The ONLY complaint ANYONE could lodge about this tour is that they didn't see enough shows.

/rant

Sorry.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2018, 11:03 AM
This bums me out so fucking much. Can't believe some fans are already spoiled. We've got the pleasure of STILL HAVING Nine Inch Nails after three decades. No one's quit or died. On top of that we get THIS TOUR with THIS MASSIVE collection of songs, and some of us are bitching. Blows my fucking mind. The ONLY complaint ANYONE could lodge about this tour is that they didn't see enough shows.

/rant

Sorry.

Seeing some “complaints” that AATCHB wasn’t played at shows makes me groan a bit. Like...it’s been played twice, ever since its creation, and both the last 5 weeks. Maybe I’m spoiled because I was there for the first one, I’m not above admitting that. But being upset that it wasn’t played? Is that something that really had a negative impact on the experience you had? :/ Wishing songs get played is expected, hell I do it myself. But I would never say “I loved all three nights in Chicago but my biggest complaint is they didn’t play Demon Seed, so bummed.” That isn’t really a valid complaint. I was hoping, sure, but it didn’t take away from my experience one bit, as it shouldn’t. And I’m sure most of the posts mentioning it are more in line with that sentiment than they are with being a deep-seeded gripe, no one is being a dick about it or anything, but it still sounds funny.

Like you got The Perfect Drug, or more than half the songs off the new record, but because they’ve been played as staples for this tour, it doesn’t matter because no AATCHB? That may not be what anyone means, but that’s what it seems like sometimes. What a strange time.

Imagine the outrage if one album isn’t played from start to finish by the end of this tour. Oof.

xolotl
12-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Imagine the outrage if one album isnít played from start to finish by the end of this tour. Oof.

I still say that this is the tour we'll finally get Josh Wink's Herehear from start to finish.

ninsp
12-01-2018, 11:49 AM
AATCHB was made in a really dark period of Reznor’s life

It’s probably hard for him to revisit that

Helpmeiaminhell
12-01-2018, 12:02 PM
AATCHB was made in a really dark period of Reznor’s life

It’s probably hard for him to revisit that

Every song from 1989 through 2002 was made in a dark period of his life

BRoswell
12-01-2018, 03:56 PM
For all the fans bitching:

1. Think of how many songs there are in the NIN catalog at this point.
2. Now think about how much time it takes to rehearse those songs so that they can play them as well as they do, all while juggling family and other music commitments.
3. Now think about how they need to mix up the setlist so that each show is different.
4. Now think about how you're a jackass for complaining that you didn't get your dream setlist that you were never promised in the first place.

Also, you got to go to the show. Some of you have even been to multiple shows. Meanwhile, sad sacks like me have had to miss out on the tour for various reasons. That's not bitterness talking either. I'm fine with it, as I've enjoyed seeing the clips and the excitement as new songs premiere. Like I said before, this tour has featured the most diverse setlists in a while, and the inclusion of one track nobody thought they would play live again plus two tracks that everyone assumed would NEVER get played. What exactly is there to be pissed off about?

FULLMETAL
12-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Did anyone recognize the intro song before “Somewhat Damaged” last night? Not sure if they just had the set-change playlist up full or if it was a specific choice.

Max
12-01-2018, 06:02 PM
I think at the beginning of the tour there was just so much excitement because every night it was something new, especially Broken, and we were all getting into this mode of, ďOMG WHATíS NEXT??!!!Ē But what we were seeing was not some kind of promise to keep doing that, but just the gradual rolling out of the added material. So it seems that phase is over. We keep hoping for another little hit of excitement.

Itís like Christmas morning or your birthday - one present after another, hoping it will never need, and then crying and being a brat when it does. I think most of us are guilty of it inwardly if not outwardly. But whatís really left in the catalogue that would just blow our minds? And is the novelty of what is left really important enough for them to roll out? If we got every track they have ever done, down to 25 Ghosts III or something, would we even be happy? Weíd be like, ďwhy didnít they write a new song for the tourĒ, or ďwhy didnít they cover the entire Station to Station album by Bowie?!

We are insatiable. But thatís okay. Itís part of being human. So we sit with the feeling of wanting more, and realize that wanting more is part of a great experience. Says I.

Max
12-01-2018, 06:03 PM
But if they played Year Zero in its entirety or the Trilogy in its entirety or something like that, it would feel like Christmas NO DOUBT. Man that would be cool.

But everything happening now is cool too.

BRoswell
12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
They're doing six shows in LA soon. Odds are if anything new and/or exciting happens, it's going to be during those shows.

Esperanzan
12-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I think at the beginning of the tour there was just so much excitement because every night it was something new, especially Broken, and we were all getting into this mode of, “OMG WHAT’S NEXT??!!!” But what we were seeing was not some kind of promise to keep doing that, but just the gradual rolling out of the added material. So it seems that phase is over. We keep hoping for another little hit of excitement.

It’s like Christmas morning or your birthday - one present after another, hoping it will never need, and then crying and being a brat when it does. I think most of us are guilty of it inwardly if not outwardly. But what’s really left in the catalogue that would just blow our minds? And is the novelty of what is left really important enough for them to roll out? If we got every track they have ever done, down to 25 Ghosts III or something, would we even be happy? We’d be like, “why didn’t they write a new song for the tour”, or “why didn’t they cover the entire Station to Station album by Bowie?!

We are insatiable. But that’s okay. It’s part of being human. So we sit with the feeling of wanting more, and realize that wanting more is part of a great experience. Says I.

You just expressed it perfectly. The first part of the tour set a ridiculously high precedent and it would be just about impossible for the band to match it throughout.

xolotl
12-01-2018, 08:40 PM
We’d be like, “why didn’t they write a new song for the tour”

Heck, why haven't they written a new song for the tour? Why not a new song for each venue?? (http://tmbw.net/wiki/Venue_Songs) I swear, some lazy bands...

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-01-2018, 08:45 PM
You just expressed it perfectly. The first part of the tour set a ridiculously high precedent and it would be just about impossible for the band to match it throughout.

Agreed, the bar was set pretty high pretty early. But that doesn’t mean anyone has to be sour because they’re playing ‘the same old rarely played deep cuts and new songs’ as the rest of the tour up to this point. Against my better judgment, I started reading through some tour journals. Lots of people who were just happy to be part of the tour and be there for it, but a surprising amount of the contrary. Seeing people call last night’s setlist a “disappointment” is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

It’s like the new iteration of getting upset over not hearing “Closer” - Nothing absolutely brand new that’s never been heard before? What’s even the point of these shows then, right?

TheBang
12-01-2018, 09:09 PM
They would swap in a special mic stand with a Doepfer R2M ribbon controller built into it just for the songs where he was using the delay/retrigger effect — you can see TR use this on "You Know What You Are?" and "March of the Pigs" from the Beside You in Time Blu-ray. When they moved to using Mainstage software for vocal effects in 2008, they switched to what appears to be a simple MIDI trigger on a button/foot pedal.
OK, I didn't know they were using the microphone trigger during the With Teeth tour. The first time I really took note was the echo effects on 1,000,000. But weren't they still using the mic stand trigger in 2008, and not a foot pedal? Like I said, 1,000,000 is when I first really noticed it, like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH99WaWoTec

paul_guyet
12-01-2018, 10:58 PM
What I’m getting from all the complaints is that Tent Reznor is to blame for treating us too well.

Esperanzan
12-01-2018, 11:56 PM
Really cool set so far, deep cuts galore. If he pulls out a debut I reckon this one will go down in history.

WorzelG
12-02-2018, 12:35 AM
I don’t know why people seem to want that Ted Cruz story to be true, if it was it would have meant at one point they DID allow Ted Cruz backstage and that idea is just....no!

magnolia
12-02-2018, 01:13 AM
Dead Souls! Is that the first time they pulled it out this tour?! I love it! Hope they play it at one of my LA shows. That looks like a damn good set list tonight!

dyarab
12-02-2018, 01:19 AM
Dead Souls! Is that the first time they pulled it out this tour?! I love it! Hope they play it at one of my LA shows. That looks like a damn good set list tonight!

Has dead souls, burn, and the perfect drug ever been played in the same set. Anyone who complains about that set list should be euthanized.

Callahan
12-02-2018, 01:29 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/dd783bf9d3c1fa692b1139c7aa261c53.jpg

Setlist from tonight, so fucking intense from start to finish!

Esperanzan
12-02-2018, 01:33 AM
Has dead souls, burn, and the perfect drug ever been played in the same set. Anyone who complains about that set list should be euthanized.

Nope. Also of note is that this is probably the only set since ‘95 or maybe ‘00 to only feature songs from the pre-Fragile period.

TheBang
12-02-2018, 01:47 AM
With a couple exceptions, it's actually very close to a Further Down the Spiral tour setlist.

redwingsrock
12-02-2018, 01:53 AM
If there's anything to learn from this tour, it's that if NIN ever tours again and does back to back shows at the venues and you can get tickets to both shows, you won't be disappointed.

dyarab
12-02-2018, 01:59 AM
If there's anything to learn from this tour, it's that if NIN ever tours again and does back to back shows at the venues and you can get tickets to both shows, you won't be disappointed.

This. X10.

dyarab
12-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Nope. Also of note is that this is probably the only set since ‘95 or maybe ‘00 to only feature songs from the pre-Fragile period.

i was willing to bet this was the case. Add sin & sactified (which as far as I know was a first for me, sanctified that is) and holy fucking shit. They came out and just kicked our fucking asses! It’s in my top 2-3 nin shows of all time.

nooneimportant
12-02-2018, 02:05 AM
That setlist looks like something from a Pre-Fragile tour that never happened.

fillow
12-02-2018, 02:41 AM
What are these arrows that are drawn on many setlists?

WorzelG
12-02-2018, 02:48 AM
They’re playing a bit of Please during Closer? Now I’m going to have to go down an instagram / YouTube rabbit hole to find this

Esperanzan
12-02-2018, 03:11 AM
They’re playing a bit of Please during Closer? Now I’m going to have to go down an instagram / YouTube rabbit hole to find this

Nah that was a setlist.fm mistake. Sanctified has a tiny bit of Please.

mauro995
12-02-2018, 03:38 AM
Woah, definetly a Further Down the Spiral throwback, must have been an intense show.

Kyle
12-02-2018, 04:55 AM
That setlist looks like something from a Pre-Fragile tour that never happened.

There would be a very minimal amount of shuffling needed to turn this into the first NIN show I was ever at

hell, add pinion at the beginning and the first four songs are identical and in the same order

Ash512
12-02-2018, 05:10 AM
Means Trent will speak.

witte
12-02-2018, 05:41 AM
Earthquake in Alaska.
I hope San Francisco and LA will be respected. Unstable area.

Esperanzan
12-02-2018, 05:44 AM
Gonna need a recording of this show, this is up there with the Broken performance as one of the key shows of the tour.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-02-2018, 05:44 AM

I can tell you for sure it was played at Red Rocks, but still! Good get! :D

dyarab
12-02-2018, 08:14 AM
I can tell you for sure it was played at Red Rocks, but still! Good get! :D

Im still trying to come to terms with getting TPD, Burn, and Dead Souls. So fucking awesome...

Swykk
12-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Oh my god, A Warm Place, you lucky bastards!

StockAvuryah
12-02-2018, 08:41 AM
That would also be teitan, I was quoting him

Fuck yes I knew he said that ! I searched for 20min looking for the original source but with no luck, just finding your post. When did he say that ?

Deepvoid
12-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Wow at last night setlist! This feels like 1995 all over again + TPD. Holy shit!

SM Rollinger
12-02-2018, 08:59 AM
Jeebus if setlist.fm is to be believed, 66 songs have been played this tour!

(poor CBH only got played once, i still love you even though nobody else does)

I once heard another band joke about "learning 70 songs" for a tour, buncha noobs!

fillow
12-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Fuck yes I knew he said that ! I searched for 20min looking for the original source but with no luck, just finding your post. When did he say that ?
Dragon Tattoo thread: https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/10-The-Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoo?p=8736#post8736
Easily found in his posts history.

botley
12-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Wow at last night setlist! This feels like 1995 all over again + TPD. Holy shit!
Haha — yeah, if they had played a gig in 1997 to launch "The Perfect Drug" EP or something, Dec. 1, 2018 would literally be that setlist!

Whoops, just read the last page and nooneimportant beat me to this comment, and perhaps others as well...

Not sure but I think that is when they move the lighting booms further upstage...

SM Rollinger
12-02-2018, 12:41 PM
So, what do we have for proshots this cycle (2017 included)?

Panorama
Mad Cool
Corona Capital

Then there is the Ahead of Ourselves and Metal official videos, so those sort of count.

Am I missing anything? Any soundboards, radio or IEM's?

klyrish
12-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Nah that was a setlist.fm mistake. Sanctified has a tiny bit of Please.I didn't hear it... There was definitely the Sunspots bit that's been there for a while now but what part of Please was there?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

roolfdriht
12-02-2018, 12:53 PM
They're doing six shows in LA soon. Odds are if anything new and/or exciting happens, it's going to be during those shows.

Iíve been debating this point with myself. On the one hand, a six-show residency would seem to invite something new and different.

On the other, as was noted above, thereís a significant amount of effort required to arrange and rehearse new material, a challenge that I assume is compounded when the band is juggling such a large number of tracks already. Putting aside the question of touring next year, the return on that investment shrinks the farther into the tour something new is debuted. Given weíve only got eight dates remaining, Iím leaning somewhat skeptical there will be anything particularly juicy introduced just for LA.

Also, Iíll echo all the preceding commentary on set list griping. This tour and these sets are a gift. Yeah, the luster wears off once the shock of the surprise subsides, but it doesnít change the fact that this run has been incredible.

Callahan
12-02-2018, 12:58 PM
I didn't hear it... There was definitely the Sunspots bit that's been there for a while now but what part of Please was there?

Iím almost certain I heard a little bit of Sunspots, it was subtle, wasnít sure if I was hearing things or not.

Helpmeiaminhell
12-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Only thing missing from last night was SICNH during the encore. Either way, best set of the entire tour. Hope someone recorded it or an IEM or anything surfaces from this show

botley
12-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Were you at that show Bill? Seems like you would have literally creamed your jeans, if so... a real-life high school football championship glory days moment.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Putting aside the question of touring next year, the return on that investment shrinks the farther into the tour something new is debuted.

Fo sho. Part of me is thinking this is why this particular tour/“leg” has just about hit its maximum capacity for new material. IF anything is happening next year as far as another tour, North American or otherwise, there could be things planned for that that are being held back on purpose. To that same point, some of what’s being played now would likely have to be cut from the rotation to make room for the different material, which would make what’s being played now all the more unique. There could very well be nothing at all on the slate for next year, but even if there wasn’t, these sets are a gift in their own right.

It’s just a little early to assume one way or the other. The only things giving credence to the idea that more dates are coming, for me, are - rumors/sightings of the band meeting with people who book concert events, the staggered nature of cities being visited (opting instead for multiple shows in one city rather than single shows in 30 different cities), and the fact that NIN has never been a stranger to doing multiple legs of one tour before throwing in the towel for a break. Again, I could be completely off-base though. Multiple shows in half as many cities could be purely to offset the stress of moving around the country every day to hit every major market. Time will tell, but my wallet’s gonna have to be ready for the next tour regardless, whether it’s announced in 3 months or 3 years.

Sarah K
12-02-2018, 01:21 PM
I didn't hear it... There was definitely the Sunspots bit that's been there for a while now but what part of Please was there?

He was whispering "just like now" a few times, but that is all I caught.

klyrish
12-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Fo sho. Part of me is thinking this is why this particular tour/ďlegĒ has just about hit its maximum capacity for new material. IF anything is happening next year as far as another tour, North American or otherwise, there could be things planned for that that are being held back on purpose. To that same point, some of whatís being played now would likely have to be cut from the rotation to make room for the different material, which would make whatís being played now all the more unique. There could very well be nothing at all on the slate for next year, but even if there wasnít, these sets are a gift in their own right.

Itís just a little early to assume one way or the other. The only things giving credence to the idea that more dates are coming, for me, are - rumors/sightings of the band meeting with people who book concert events, the staggered nature of cities being visited (opting instead for multiple shows in one city rather than single shows in 30 different cities), and the fact that NIN has never been a stranger to doing multiple legs of one tour before throwing in the towel for a break. Again, I could be completely off-base though. Multiple shows in half as many cities could be purely to offset the stress of moving around the country every day to hit every major market. Time will tell, but my walletís gonna have to be ready for the next tour regardless, whether itís announced in 3 months or 3 years.Trent commented near the end of the set about how many times they'd played Vegas this year and that maybe they died and this was the afterlife so if they were on again tomorrow night, we'd all know that was the truth. He then said this was "it for a while" so I dont know what that means for 2019. A "while" is pretty relative so hopefully it's only 3-6 months...

klyrish
12-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Iím almost certain I heard a little bit of Sunspots, it was subtle, wasnít sure if I was hearing things or not.Yeah, it was the synth riff from the bridge of Sunspots near the end of Sanctified. They've been doing that for this whole tour, possibly longer. It fits in perfectly!

BRoswell
12-02-2018, 01:37 PM
...I’m leaning somewhat skeptical there will be anything particularly juicy introduced just for LA.

I can't see them doing six shows at the same venue and not doing something unique on at least one or two of those dates. I'm not predicting anything earth-shattering, but a special guest or two and maybe some rarities seems like a reasonable possibility.

botley
12-02-2018, 01:52 PM
OK, I didn't know they were using the microphone trigger during the With Teeth tour. The first time I really took note was the echo effects on 1,000,000. But weren't they still using the mic stand trigger in 2008, and not a foot pedal? Like I said, 1,000,000 is when I first really noticed it, like here:

Foot pedal or stand-mounted, it's been the same thing since 2008, a basic MIDI latch button turning the effect on. The pre-2008 ribbon controller device was a little more sophisticated (it would trigger multiple perameters, instead of a simple on/off), also probably less predictable, so maybe they opted for something more battle proof and less likely to fail.

It sounds to me like in "Head Down" there may have been a feedback perameter being hit as well, but maybe that was automated, or on a different button than the one on the mic stand.

Sarah K
12-02-2018, 02:01 PM
If anyone runs across video of Trent acknowledging the Dick Shirts on the rail, please let me know! The person who put all of the work into those and the stickers over the years was not at the show, and would love to see a video of it. I know there are tapes that will surface, but if anyone finds a video, I think it would mean a lot to the dick artist to see it!

roolfdriht
12-02-2018, 02:25 PM
I can't see them doing six shows at the same venue and not doing something unique on at least one or two of those dates. I'm not predicting anything earth-shattering, but a special guest or two and maybe some rarities seems like a reasonable possibility.

I certainly hope youíre right, I just canít work myself up to a level of certainty. My cousin-in-law (is that a thing?) is attending the last LA show, so Iím crossing my fingers for something special. My gig envy in her case canít top the show she caught at the Phantasy in Cleveland during the PHM touring cycle!

magnolia
12-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Crossposting from the upcoming shows thread:

So I have tickets for the 11th & 12th and also 14th & 15th. The 14th/15th I am for sure going, but the 11th/12th are kind of up in the air right now. One reason is that it necessitates me traveling to LA the 11th, coming back on the 13th, and flying back out again on the 14th with hubs in tow. I have to be home on the 13th for several things. The other reason is that I don't love going to shows on my own, so the 11th/12th I would be by myself there in LA. I only have until the 8th to make up my mind and cancel plans/sell the tickets, or decide to keep them. Anyone else planning on going that would want a nerdy line/rail buddy to hang with? : /

nooneimportant
12-02-2018, 05:24 PM
So, what do we have for proshots this cycle (2017 included)?

Panorama
Mad Cool
Corona Capital

Then there is the Ahead of Ourselves and Metal official videos, so those sort of count.

Am I missing anything? Any soundboards, radio or IEM's?

Sonic Mania Festival has an IEM and it's probably the best sounding IEM I've ever heard. Both Atlanta shows have an IEM/Audience mix and I think it's good enough to count.

JessicaSarahS
12-02-2018, 06:27 PM
If anyone runs across video of Trent acknowledging the Dick Shirts on the rail, please let me know! The person who put all of the work into those and the stickers over the years was not at the show, and would love to see a video of it. I know there are tapes that will surface, but if anyone finds a video, I think it would mean a lot to the dick artist to see it!

I have a video of it but I might not be able to upload for a while. Will try tonight!

Kyle
12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
I feel out of it. Can someone elaborate on the "dick shirts"

FULLMETAL
12-02-2018, 09:35 PM
It’s the “Suck my ENTIRE cock” meme brought to life (imagine a stylish white tee with a hand drawn orange phallus w/green veins if I’m not mistaken). I want to say heavenly_bearded & someone else were sporting the shirts when a light hit them in TR’s sightline.

paul_guyet
12-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Trent commented near the end of the set about how many times they'd played Vegas this year and that maybe they died and this was the afterlife so if they were on again tomorrow night, we'd all know that was the truth. He then said this was "it for a while" so I dont know what that means for 2019. A "while" is pretty relative so hopefully it's only 3-6 months...

Sent from my VS996 using TapatalkA ďwhileĒ is made up of five ďsoonsĒ.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-02-2018, 10:42 PM
A “while” is made up of five “soons”.

So if “soon” is two weeks, new tour being announced in 10 weeks, confirmed?

heavenly_bearded
12-03-2018, 04:25 AM
It’s the “Suck my ENTIRE cock” meme brought to life (imagine a stylish white tee with a hand drawn orange phallus w/green veins if I’m not mistaken). I want to say heavenly_bearded & someone else were sporting the shirts when a light hit them in TR’s sightline.
It's my good friend Mattia's thing. It started long before Trent's post. 2013 Tension in Vegas at The Joint. She likes drawing dicks and made us a bunch of stickers for us to wear so when we're all on the rail, NIN will see a sea of reflective dicks. She started by making them for NIN shows she was going to. It took off became known as the "ninfamous penis sticker". After Trent made his post she added the "suck my entire" on top of it. With having friends at every show this tour she started making them in mass quantities and sending them to other people to hand out. I messaged her a few weeks ago to see if she'd want to make me a shirt to wear in Vegas. She ended up holding a small campaign and made shirts for a few of our close friends. There were 3 on the rail, giant glowing dicks. Myself, kittiekorn and Rubeninphoenix and there will be more at the L.A. shows coming up.

I love the reactions I get walking a line of NIN fans asking for consent to give them my dick (sticker) then throwing a NIN condom at them.

paul_guyet
12-03-2018, 09:29 AM
So if “soon” is two weeks, new tour being announced in 10 weeks, confirmed?Exactly. Now...here's a word problem for you...if Trent is doing an interview in London and says a new NIN album is coming "soon", but a fan in Texas bitches that it can't come "soon enough", how much beer will that Texan pour on @Papagolash (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=181)?

Show your work.

StockAvuryah
12-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Dragon Tattoo thread: https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/10-The-Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoo?p=8736#post8736
Easily found in his posts history.

Thanks. He has a good relationship with the forum, makes for great quotes.

Kyle
12-03-2018, 11:27 PM
It's my good friend Mattia's thing. It started long before Trent's post. 2013 Tension in Vegas at The Joint. She likes drawing dicks and made us a bunch of stickers for us to wear so when we're all on the rail, NIN will see a sea of reflective dicks. She started by making them for NIN shows she was going to. It took off became known as the "ninfamous penis sticker". After Trent made his post she added the "suck my entire" on top of it. With having friends at every show this tour she started making them in mass quantities and sending them to other people to hand out. I messaged her a few weeks ago to see if she'd want to make me a shirt to wear in Vegas. She ended up holding a small campaign and made shirts for a few of our close friends. There were 3 on the rail, giant glowing dicks. Myself, @kittiekorn (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3912) and @Rubeninphoenix (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4254) and there will be more at the L.A. shows coming up.

I love the reactions I get walking a line of NIN fans asking for consent to give them my dick (sticker) then throwing a NIN condom at them.

I got one of those at some point in the Tension touring cycle (not a shirt - a card I think)

Esperanzan
12-04-2018, 01:18 AM
So what happened tonight? Radio silence from setlist.fm.

EDIT - hmmm, set is partially up. Very similar to Vegas 2.

bobbie solo
12-04-2018, 02:03 AM
according to setlist.fm:

Mr. Self Destruct (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Mr.+Self+Destruct)

Last (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Last)

Letting You (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Letting+You)

Sin (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Sin)

Piggy (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Piggy)

Me, I'm Not (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Me,+I%27m+Not)

Burn (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Burn)

Dear World, (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Dear+World,)

Closer (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Closer)

Help Me I Am in Hell (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Help+Me+I+Am+in+Hell)

Happiness in Slavery (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Happiness+in+Slavery)

I Can't Give Everything Away (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/david-bowie-6bd6ee66.html?song=I+Can%27t+Give+Everything+Away)

Subterraneans (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/david-bowie-6bd6ee66.html?song=Subterraneans)

The Background World (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=The+Background+World)

The Great Destroyer (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=The+Great+Destroyer)

Burning Bright (Field on Fire) (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Burning+Bright+%28Field+on+Fire %29)

Wish (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Wish)

Head Like a Hole (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Head+Like+a+Hole)
Home (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Home)

Dead Soul (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joy-division-63d6b22b.html?song=Dead+Souls)s
Hurt

Thats a very good setlist right there. I'd kill to hear Background World & Home again on 12/15!

StockAvuryah
12-04-2018, 05:16 AM
If anyone got a vid of Dear World, that would be very cool. I want to see it work perfectly live.

Kyle
12-04-2018, 05:48 AM
If anyone got a vid of Dear World, that would be very cool. I want to see it work perfectly live.

They played it at the show I was at and it honestly wasn't that exciting. The cello was cool but the rest just seemed like Trent and Atticus leaning over computers

it sounded good but not really "live"

https://youtu.be/zHtxEZyBuw (https://youtu.be/zHtxEZyBuww)

i thought the same of the lovers but burning bright and branches/bones translated better live. Branches/bones is a good opener

edited to add that I can't believe I forgot Less than. That might actually be the best of the new songs translated live which I did not expect. It really works and I think I like it better live (and I liked the studio version)

ryanmcfly
12-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Dear World would work out a lot better if they were doing a tour like LITS or Tension. That one feels like it needs spectacle and visuals to work live.

3knic
12-04-2018, 08:41 AM
The setlist last night was one of my favorites on the tour so far, what an amazing collection of songs. I have not been able to attend a show all year and would have killed to be at this one. I'm crossing my fingers that there was a taper at this show!

paul_guyet
12-04-2018, 09:16 AM
If anyone got a vid of Dear World, that would be very cool. I want to see it work perfectly live.This is such a singular and weird live moment. I'd love a clean copy to hear exactly what's being said and if any lyrics have been added or changed. The IEM from Fox is pretty garbled...which might be the point?

StockAvuryah
12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
They played it at the show I was at and it honestly wasn't that exciting. The cello was cool but the rest just seemed like Trent and Atticus leaning over computers

i thought the same of the lovers but burning bright and branches/bones translated better live. Branches/bones is a good opener

edited to add that I can't believe I forgot Less than. That might actually be the best of the new songs translated live which I did not expect. It really works and I think I like it better live (and I liked the studio version)

I mean the new one from the most recent concert, maybe they play it differently. And nothing wrong with them leaning over computers. I just want a full trilogy to be played Lol.

halo33
12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Of course the second I stop going to shows, they play 2 songs I was hoping for. (Dear World & The Background World)
Gah!!

mauro995
12-04-2018, 01:40 PM
2nd night in Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcu787LOlUk

ManBurning
12-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Of course the second I stop going to shows, they play 2 songs I was hoping for. (Dear World & The Background World)
Gah!!

I wanted Dear World and Last personally, so I know the feeling.
Last totally would have been fitting for night 2 Vegas! It's the one song I was really hoping for to complete that already epic of a night.

ManBurning
12-04-2018, 02:57 PM

https://youtu.be/zHtxEZyBuw (https://youtu.be/zHtxEZyBuww)

As much as I want to hear Dear World live, you're right. Watching the video makes it seem very underwhelming. Live version doesn't do the song very much justice.
From everything on the Trilogy, "Less Than" is the song that is the most commerical and catchy and I find it odd that that song isn't a night to night staple on this tour. It's a crowd moving song. Odd that it is getting neglected.

Also, strange that they attempt songs like Dear World, which clearly don't transition live very well and they still haven't attempted "The Idea of You" and "Not Anymore". Figured they would have at least tested those songs out by now. Those would be perfect live songs. Guess those are going to get lost in the "never played" category, which is honestly running thin at this point. What's left? Like 10 songs that have never been played live now? Maybe less?

Kyle
12-04-2018, 03:07 PM
http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live

theres still plenty. Especially from the fragile (and ghosts but that's kinda different)

ninsp
12-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Rewatching AVOTT today and it’s amazing how much better NIN sounds nowadays.

I know LITS is legendary but Trent’s voice is fucked and the band doesn’t seem to have the energy they do on this tour.

paul_guyet
12-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Gah!!God, you're such a tourist...

paul_guyet
12-04-2018, 03:55 PM
2nd night in Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcu787LOlUkShout out to Clappy Joe during HMIAIH. Live your dreams!!!

gorast
12-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Seeing Dead Souls pop up a few days after people on here were hoping for it to come back makes me laugh. He did say that one of the main reasons they're playing things like The Perfect Drug and And All That Could Have Been is for hardcore fans, so maybe they're really pulling requests and ideas from here. (I doubt it, though.)

Krazy
12-04-2018, 09:50 PM
, best set of the entire tour

Agreed. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but outside of maybe TPD I wouldn’t leave my seat for any of that. As great as Broken was in person on night one that setlist is fucking awesomely aggressive from start to finish.

nooneimportant
12-04-2018, 10:00 PM
This is such a singular and weird live moment. I'd love a clean copy to hear exactly what's being said and if any lyrics have been added or changed. The IEM from Fox is pretty garbled...which might be the point?

It's a very strange song live and Robin doing the spoken word in a pitch shifted voice only adds to the strangeness. I kinda like that it's so weird though because NTAE does have a weird vibe to it.

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Are you kidding me? look at that Encore from San Fran night 2 so far...

All the Love in the World (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=All+the+Love+in+the+World)
Even Deeper (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Even+Deeper)
And All That Could Have Been
(https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=And+All+That+Could+Have+Been)

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 02:56 AM
I'm having major Post show withdrawls. I want to see the band live again...
Seeing this band live is very addictive.

I need help.

Esperanzan
12-05-2018, 04:55 AM
Are you kidding me? look at that Encore from San Fran night 2 so far...

All the Love in the World (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=All+the+Love+in+the+World)
Even Deeper (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Even+Deeper)
And All That Could Have Been
(https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=And+All+That+Could+Have+Been)

If you had told me in 2009 that this would be a fairly standard encore in 2018 I wouldn't have believed you.

Max
12-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Seems like about as great of a set list as one could wish for last night As far as I am concerned. Wow.

Kyle
12-05-2018, 11:39 AM
If you had told me in 2009 that this would be a fairly standard encore in 2018 I wouldn't have believed you.

If you would have told me that the setlist for that whole show would be fairly standard three months ago, I wouldn't believe you

WorzelG
12-05-2018, 01:04 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let someone be taping the LA shows, I’m loving living vicariously through all the posts, Instagram and YouTube videos. I don’t even feel jealous of the setlists for some reason, Meltdown was the best show I’ve ever seen and I’m happy with that

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2018, 02:16 PM

I need help.

Same! Stuck at work like an asshole today while reflecting on the amazingness over the last five days and trying not to fuck shit up by adding in LA dates. :D

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Same! Stuck at work like an asshole today while reflecting on the amazingness over the last five days and trying not to fuck shit up by adding in LA dates. :D

Oh man, you have no idea. Last night bobbie solo wrote in the LA thread that Dec 15th tickets just got released. I have that day off, but not the day after, lol. I was sitting there wondering if I should pull the trigger or not and just try and wing the final show. It's totally not going to happen. But I can dream.

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 03:16 PM

Then I need to find that time machine that was used at night 2 in Vegas, so I can go back in time again to let you know!
while there, I'd tell you how bad-ass The Perfect Drug live is, so you can have a double dose of not believing me.

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Oh man, you have no idea. Last night @bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) wrote in the LA thread that Dec 15th tickets just got released. I have that day off, but not the day after, lol. I was sitting there wondering if I should pull the trigger or not and just try and wing the final show. It's totally not going to happen. But I can dream.

I had them in my cart and mulled it over. I'm so damn tempted! Checking in with my sister to see if we wanna wing it. It's possible to attend the 15th w/o sacrificing work time, but my issue is I would like to go to at least two shows if I'm driving all that way, but my show addiction will probably snowball into adding all the shows, so I have to avoid buying at the moment.

paul_guyet
12-05-2018, 04:07 PM
I was thinking about that amazing pre-1998 setlist (which I'd happily purchase in whatever fucking form you want , Trent, if you're reading this) and it got me thinking...unless NIN did a Trilogy show, or a Fragile show, or some other full album show, there really couldn't be a post-1998 show, could there. I mean, I'd fucking see it and have to change my pants a few times, but could you imagine a setlist with NO Wish, MOTP, HLAH, OR Hurt?

I DO think that ending LITS with "In This Twilight" with that amazing piano outro was a perfect ending though...so...I guess it could be done...

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 04:25 PM
I was thinking about that amazing pre-1998 setlist (which I'd happily purchase in whatever fucking form you want , Trent, if you're reading this) and it got me thinking...unless NIN did a Trilogy show, or a Fragile show, or some other full album show, there really couldn't be a post-1998 show, could there. I mean, I'd fucking see it and have to change my pants a few times, but could you imagine a setlist with NO Wish, MOTP, HLAH, OR Hurt?

I DO think that ending LITS with "In This Twilight" with that amazing piano outro was a perfect ending though...so...I guess it could be done...

I could see a whole tour devoted to playing nothing but the Fragile, but it would need to be marketed as that to avoid people stepping into something they are unaware of.
Kind of like what Roger Waters did with the wall. I could see a 20th or 25th anniversary Fragility 3.0 arena tour where they create an epic stage show to go with playing the record from beginning to end. But it would have to be marketed/announced from the time tickets went on sale so you know what you were getting. I really hope he jumps on this idea before he gets too old and can still sing some of these songs. There is no way Trent has not thought about doing this. This would be a killer tour and he knows it.

roolfdriht
12-05-2018, 04:25 PM

Speaking as someone who's been lucky enough to catch the hits plenty of times, I think a post-1998-only (or while we're being controversial, a post-2000-only show) would be amazing for a change of pace every now and again. As a commercial proposition that would clearly be of more limited appeal, so I'm not holding my breath.

ryanmcfly
12-05-2018, 04:46 PM
Speaking as someone who's been lucky enough to catch the hits plenty of times, I think a post-1998-only (or while we're being controversial, a post-2000-only show) would be amazing for a change of pace every now and again. As a commercial proposition that would clearly be of more limited appeal, so I'm not holding my breath.

I would be down to see it. Something like this would be interesting.

1. Branches/Bones
2. You Know What You Are
3. Less Than
4. Came Back Haunted
5. The Line Begins to Blur
6. Survivalism
7. The Great Destroyer
8. Burning Bright
9. Another Version of the Truth
10. Me, I'm Not
11. The Warning
12. This isn't the Place
13. Over and Out
14. Non-Entity
15. The Background World
16. God Break Down the Door
17. Various Methods of Escape
18. Deep
19.Right Where it Belongs
20. In This Twilight

TheRealNs1
12-05-2018, 04:48 PM

I need help.

Can you imagine how much richer we would all be without all these concert related expenses.

JessicaSarahS
12-05-2018, 04:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4oeZHLu.jpg

Esperanzan
12-05-2018, 04:56 PM

1. Branches/Bones
2. You Know What You Are
3. Less Than
4. Came Back Haunted
6. Survivalism
7. The Great Destroyer
8. Burning Bright
10. Me, I'm Not
11. The Warning
12. This isn't the Place
13. Over and Out
14. Non-Entity
15. The Background World
18. Deep
20. In This Twilight

That would be weird and incredible.

snichols
12-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Damn! Reading the last few posts has made me start thinking about what it would cost for an LA trip next week. Someone talk me out of it quick!!!

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-05-2018, 05:20 PM

1. Branches/Bones
2. You Know What You Are
3. Less Than
4. Came Back Haunted
6. Survivalism
7. The Great Destroyer
8. Burning Bright
10. Me, I'm Not
11. The Warning
12. This isn't the Place
13. Over and Out
14. Non-Entity
15. The Background World
18. Deep
20. In This Twilight

If this was the last set I got to see live before NIN threw in the towel for good, I think I’d be 1000000% cool with that. That’s lean as fuck.

eversonpoe
12-05-2018, 05:30 PM
what if the six nights in LA were full-album nights?

1 - PHM & Broken
2 - TDS
3 - TF
4 - WT
5 - YZ
6 - The Trilogy

probably not going to happen, but i can dream (i'm not even attending the shows).

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Damn! Reading the last few posts has made me start thinking about what it would cost for an LA trip next week. Someone talk me out of it quick!!!

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm still trying to talk myself out of it. I even had flights and hotels up in different tabs on my PC browser before leaving for work.

The tabs will still be open and continuing to temp once once I get home...

implanted_microchip
12-05-2018, 06:24 PM
while we're being controversial, a post-2000-only show

AATCHB would still be allowed then so anyone complaining would have no excuse

ManBurning
12-05-2018, 06:28 PM
AATCHB would still be allowed then so anyone complaining would have no excuse

And still room for some unplayed deep cuts too!
Sunspots, demon seed, my violent heart.

TheRealNs1
12-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Coming from Illinois?

Don't come here next week, it's going to be fucking FREEZING during the day - mid 60's all week.

:D

paul_guyet
12-05-2018, 06:45 PM
I could see a whole tour devoted to playing nothing but the Fragile, but it would need to be marketed as that to avoid people stepping into something they are unaware of.
Kind of like what Roger Waters did with the wall. I could see a 20th or 25th anniversary Fragility 3.0 arena tour where they create an epic stage show to go with playing the record from beginning to end. But it would have to be marketed/announced from the time tickets went on sale so you know what you were getting. I really hope he jumps on this idea before he gets too old and can still sing some of these songs. There is no way Trent has not thought about doing this. This would be a killer tour and he knows it.I'm really hoping for a Fragile front-to-back show next year. Seated venues, full album plus (some) Deviations, full production. Like...a dozen dates, so as not to burn themselves out.

paul_guyet
12-05-2018, 06:46 PM
what if the six nights in LA were full-album nights?

1 - PHM & Broken
2 - TDS
3 - TF
4 - WT
5 - YZ
6 - The Trilogy

probably not going to happen, but i can dream (i'm not even attending the shows).I'm actually expecting a night of just Broken/TDS.

Nellyrific
12-05-2018, 07:11 PM

1. Branches/Bones
2. You Know What You Are
3. Less Than
4. Came Back Haunted
6. Survivalism
7. The Great Destroyer
8. Burning Bright
10. Me, I'm Not
11. The Warning
12. This isn't the Place
13. Over and Out
14. Non-Entity
15. The Background World
18. Deep
20. In This Twilight

This looks lovely. I need Non-Entity again.

snichols
12-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Coming from Illinois?

Don't come here next week, it's going to be fucking FREEZING during the day - mid 60's all week.

Sounds terrible :)

tfang
12-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Sorry, can't help you there. I'm still trying to talk myself out of it. I even had flights and hotels up in different tabs on my PC browser before leaving for work.

The tabs will still be open and continuing to temp once once I get home...

This is exactly what my afternoon at work looked like...

heavenly_bearded
12-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Coming from Illinois?

And you folks are the ones who get the scarves... Boooo

TheBang
12-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Can you imagine how much richer we would all be without all these concert related expenses.
God, you have no idea. This is a real conversation with myself in 2014:

"New NIN show coming up soon. I wonder what kind of new camera gear there is? New 4K camcorder for $2000? Well, I guess I have no choice..."
:eek:

No regrets though. It produced stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOofc1rGMaM

TheRealNs1
12-05-2018, 08:23 PM
> God, you have no idea. This is a real conversation with myself in 2014:

I had this situation a few years back - "ehh, I've seen NIN enough times, I'll only buy tickets for 1 show"

Internet - "Assault Setlist"
Me - ::buys 3 more pairs of tickets immediately::

I have severe regrets because I got 4x of the same goddamn setlist, but at least I had excellent seats all over.

Krazy
12-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Rewatching AVOTT today and itís amazing how much better NIN sounds nowadays.

I know LITS is legendary but Trentís voice is fucked and the band doesnít seem to have the energy they do on this tour.

Agreed about Trentís voice (maybe not necessarily the energy though- different setlist, high production, and most of the band members have similar energy). Loved LITS but have a hard time going back to listen to it, would have been better if he cancelled some shows for a couple weeks or so. His voice never recovered and you could even hear it into the 2009 shows which started shortly after LITS ended.

With that hat being said his voice sounds the best since probably pre WT days. Wonder if heís doing something different or had a ďcoachĒ or something. Whatever it may be (it may be nothing!) it paid off.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Well Trent usually plays 1 year or 2, but in LITS were 5 years in a row (2005-2009) doing tours (pre with teeh/with teeth/yearzero/lits/wave goodbye)

Maybe his voice just needed some rest , in big productions as Lits or Tension he usually plays more songs, maybe 20-21 for a concert is the best for him

WorzelG
12-06-2018, 01:06 AM
I read this review of the SF shows saying Trent gave a speech about needing more music makers and less ‘fucking influencers’ - ha ha, couldn’t agree more. Hope someone has video of this!
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/05/nine-inch-nails-fking-incredible-live/

paul_guyet
12-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Agreed about Trent’s voice (maybe not necessarily the energy though- different setlist, high production, and most of the band members have similar energy). Loved LITS but have a hard time going back to listen to it, would have been better if he cancelled some shows for a couple weeks or so. His voice never recovered and you could even hear it into the 2009 shows which started shortly after LITS ended.

With that hat being said his voice sounds the best since probably pre WT days. Wonder if he’s doing something different or had a “coach” or something. Whatever it may be (it may be nothing!) it paid off.Whenever I'm at a NIN show with my wife and they play 'Closer', I always lean in and ask "will he or won't he?" referring to the bit of falsetto on "you make me perfect". I feel like the return of the falsetto means his voice is definitively doing fine.

WorzelG
12-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Whenever I'm at a NIN show with my wife and they play 'Closer', I always lean in and ask "will he or won't he?" referring to the bit of falsetto on "you make me perfect". I feel like the return of the falsetto means his voice is definitively doing fine.
I wish he'd do the falsetto bits on And All That Could Have Been though in the first verse, unless he did it the other day and I've just not seen video of it

Sarah K
12-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Whenever I'm at a NIN show with my wife and they play 'Closer', I always lean in and ask "will he or won't he?" referring to the bit of falsetto on "you make me perfect". I feel like the return of the falsetto means his voice is definitively doing fine.

He's also doing the falsetto OoooOoooOoO in Suck.

fillow
12-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Has he ever done a 'did you not realiiize' (Burn) falsetto live?

Helpmeiaminhell
12-06-2018, 01:18 PM
When he hits the high pitch scream in 'Somewhat Damaged' or 'Becoming', thats always a good barometer on how his voice is doing

joplinpicasso
12-06-2018, 01:24 PM
I love this. TR's voice is noticeably a little better nowadays than, say, 2007-8. Maybe a gallon of honey and tea each morning.

sick among the pure
12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Trent sure seems to be enjoying this tour than previous ones, but that could just be a matter of what we see/hear. I hope he is, at least. Having this much more open setlist format with no big visual production to choreograph and worry about, a slightly shorter set, and multiple nights at the same venue so there's less travel, may just be what he needs a tour to be now. And I don't think anyone would mind if he continues with this format, whether it's every year or every other year or longer breaks between tours.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Trent sure seems to be enjoying this tour than previous ones, but that could just be a matter of what we see/hear. I hope he is, at least. Having this much more open setlist format with no big visual production to choreograph and worry about, a slightly shorter set, and multiple nights at the same venue so there's less travel, may just be what he needs a tour to be now. And I don't think anyone would mind if he continues with this format, whether it's every year or every other year or longer breaks between tours.

There’s an itty bitty part of my mind that’s imagining a 2019 anniversary tour for The Fragile, including a more elaborate Fragility-esque production setup, contrasting the current minimal stage setup. Exercise all the freedom with setlists now, then commit to a tour with a more “concrete” setlist the next time around, whether that be a series of residencies or a whole new batch of individual cities.

Not saying I think it’ll happen, but it sure feels like the stars could be aligning for something like that to happen, considering it’ll be the 20th anniversary next year, the lack of many Fragile songs being played, NIN being on FIRE right now, and the fact that this is probably the most technically proficient iteration of the band that there’s ever been...I dunno. It seems like 2019 would be the best time to do it.

roolfdriht
12-06-2018, 03:24 PM
There’s an itty bitty part of my mind that’s imagining a 2019 anniversary tour for The Fragile, including a more elaborate Fragility-esque production setup, contrasting the current minimal stage setup.

After this fall's surprises, I'll dare to dream with you!

Even though objectively The Fragile was well-represented on Fragility 2.0 with around half of any given set list, I do remember being mildly surprised that so many standout vocal tracks weren't heavily featured. A guaranteed opportunity to experience WITT, Please, NYD, etc. live would make this a can't-miss proposition.

Count me in for at least a couple more dates someplace like Radio City...

klyrish
12-06-2018, 04:06 PM
I wonder if they haven't played "The Idea of You" yet because they're saving it for one of the LA shows to bring Dave Grohl up as guest drummer like they did with all the guests during the final nights of Wave Goodbye...

sonic_discord
12-06-2018, 04:14 PM
I wonder if they haven't played "The Idea of You" yet because they're saving it for one of the LA shows to bring Dave Grohl up as guest drummer like they did with all the guests during the final nights of Wave Goodbye...

That would be awesome! I just wish I could be there to witness it.

StockAvuryah
12-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Would be pretty cool. I hope people will be recording all those shows eh

Max
12-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Re: Trentís voice.

I have been sitting on this comment now for a while but since the subject has come up I think iíll finally say it - I suspect that Trent canít shred his voice all the time like he used to - or doesnít want to. I donít say that in a negative way at all either. Totally understandable. You ever try to scream along to the album version of Happiness in Slavery? Ouch. Robin Finck is handling that now. And some other parts. I think Trent took a realistic look at the long tour ahead and chose to save his voice.

Why? So he could REALLY sing. I think he is improving as a vocalist, actively challenging and pushing himself into a new direction. God Break Down the Door was such a new shift - but even before that A Minute to Breathe had him really stretching himself.

I respect it. I think the young Trent was amazing, we all love those tracks and watching Woodstock and all, and I think letting that go and maturing and moving into a new vocal direction is a smart and interesting move too.

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe thatís okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. Iíve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NINís latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didnít get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I donít know. What do you guys think?

Helpmeiaminhell
12-06-2018, 06:48 PM
2019 is the 30 year anniversary of PHM and 20 year anniversary for Fragile...I vote for a special 2019 tour commemorating both albums. Played in their entirety every night.

neorev
12-06-2018, 08:07 PM

let's hope they have him also play on All The Love In The World, You Know What You Are, The Collector, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Getting Smaller, Sunspots, and The Line Begins To Blur like he did on With Teeth album. ;)

klyrish
12-06-2018, 08:12 PM
let's hope they have him also play on All The Love In The World, You Know What You Are, The Collector, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Getting Smaller, Sunspots, and The Line Begins To Blur like he did on With Teeth album. ;)
Hahahaha yes!

Krazy
12-06-2018, 09:54 PM
And have Dr. Dre on stage for Even Deeper.*

* I kid... sort of.

ManBurning
12-06-2018, 10:06 PM
2019 is the 30 year anniversary of PHM and 20 year anniversary for Fragile...I vote for a special 2019 tour commemorating both albums. Played in their entirety every night.

Don't forget the 25th anniversary of TDS as well!
This is shaping up to be one hell of a night if he's stuck playing all 3 of those records, lol. His voice definitely won't survive after all that.

paul_guyet
12-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Re: Trent’s voice.

I have been sitting on this comment now for a while but since the subject has come up I think i’ll finally say it - I suspect that Trent can’t shred his voice all the time like he used to - or doesn’t want to. I don’t say that in a negative way at all either. Totally understandable. You ever try to scream along to the album version of Happiness in Slavery? Ouch. Robin Finck is handling that now. And some other parts. I think Trent took a realistic look at the long tour ahead and chose to save his voice.

Why? So he could REALLY sing. I think he is improving as a vocalist, actively challenging and pushing himself into a new direction. God Break Down the Door was such a new shift - but even before that A Minute to Breathe had him really stretching himself.

I respect it. I think the young Trent was amazing, we all love those tracks and watching Woodstock and all, and I think letting that go and maturing and moving into a new vocal direction is a smart and interesting move too.

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe that’s okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. I’ve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NIN’s latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didn’t get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I don’t know. What do you guys think?I love that Robin's voice has always sounded like meat in a blender. Having him do lead vocals on 'Shit Mirror' was a bizarre and inspired choice. I also love when he randomly screams "YOU! YOOOOOOOUUU!" during 'Wish'.

As far as Trent, yeah, I can dig what you're saying. Dude's 53 and has been screaming for a lot of that time. I think he sounds fantastic on this tour, he's hitting those high notes and his voice is giving out much less. Whatever he has to do to keep singing, I'll support it.

nooneimportant
12-07-2018, 12:07 AM
And have Dr. Dre on stage for Even Deeper.*

* I kid... sort of.

You kid but tell me it wouldn't be amazing to see NIN randomly playing NWA.

bobbie solo
12-07-2018, 12:36 AM

I met Ice Cube at my job yesterday!

Krazy
12-07-2018, 07:41 AM

“T R Z is fucked up and got the eight ball ROLLING!!!”

zecho
12-07-2018, 08:30 AM

I have been sitting on this comment now for a while but since the subject has come up I think i’ll finally say it - I suspect that Trent can’t shred his voice all the time like he used to - or doesn’t want to. I don’t say that in a negative way at all either. Totally understandable. You ever try to scream along to the album version of Happiness in Slavery? Ouch. Robin Finck is handling that now. And some other parts. I think Trent took a realistic look at the long tour ahead and chose to save his voice.

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe that’s okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. I’ve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NIN’s latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didn’t get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I don’t know. What do you guys think?

I will always kind of miss the all out screams, but he definitely holds back to preserve his voice, which is good in the long run. He most likely could still scream like he used to, you don't really lose that ability, but doing so too much makes it harder to sing normally. I think my favorite era for vocals was With Teeth. He really straddled the line with that one. It was the first album that he really sang on, but he mixed it with slight screams, not quite full on, but enough to make the vocals "dirty". I really liked that, and he hasn't really done it since. That said, I'm glad he's finally incorporating vibrato into his singing style. He always seemed to intentionally avoid it before now, only letting it slip in very occasionally. Now it's constant, and I love it.

ryanmcfly
12-07-2018, 09:09 AM
I will always kind of miss the all out screams, but he definitely holds back to preserve his voice, which is good in the long run. He most likely could still scream like he used to, you don't really lose that ability, but doing so too much makes it harder to sing normally. I think my favorite era for vocals was With Teeth. He really straddled the line with that one. It was the first album that he really sang on, but he mixed it with slight screams, not quite full on, but enough to make the vocals "dirty". I really liked that, and he hasn't really done it since. That said, I'm glad he's finally incorporating vibrato into his singing style. He always seemed to intentionally avoid it before now, only letting it slip in very occasionally. Now it's constant, and I love it.

His vocals from 2005-2007 were my personal fave. Sadly didn't get into the band until YZ came out so i didn't get to see them on that run. His vocals on BYIT are sooooo good. Like the last minute of this video. ooooomppphhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJp-MuUIH1U

R-Dot-Yung
12-07-2018, 10:42 AM
His vocals from 2005-2007 were my personal fave. Sadly didn't get into the band until YZ came out so i didn't get to see them on that run. His vocals on BYIT are sooooo good. Like the last minute of this video. ooooomppphhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJp-MuUIH1U

Damn the way he's jumping with the mic stand at the end of Somewhat Damaged always gets me pumped...

redwingsrock
12-07-2018, 11:48 AM

It does make some of the old material FEEL different. And maybe that’s okay. Or maybe we should all let it go. I’ve been listening since TDS and I think I am just as fascinated by NIN’s latest directions as I was at that time. I have aged and they didn’t get stuck back there. They keep maturing too and staying relevant to themselves and the world around them and that seems to involve a vocal evolution to me. I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Regarding Trent's singing voice, I 100% agree. It's clearly evident in the incredibly awesome recording of Las Vegas night 2 (can't recall who recorded, but THANK YOU!). Especially during The Perfect Drug during the "without you..." part. It actually really surprised me at how good it was.

magnolia
12-07-2018, 02:45 PM
6:30PM Doors
7:30PM Death In Vegas
8:20PM The Jesus and Mary Chain
9:45PM NIN

Wonder why they are pushing their set time back a half hour more than usual?

Esperanzan
12-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Does LA have the same union bullshit that has meant the band couldn't play past 11 at previous shows? I'm guessing not given the times, meaning that I'm optimistic for a longer show.

suprefan
12-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Wonder why they are pushing their set time back a half hour more than usual?

Maybe cause its friday, its LA and rush hour is a bitch. The Palladium has a bit more leeway than most of the venues on the tour anyway. Theyve done shows that have gone very late. I mean, Im not shocked its going to end closer to midnight than the rest of the tour, but theres potential at least to go late. The band can take their time and not be pressed for time, thats also another thing too. Ive seens shows where the headliner gave themselves an extra 15 - 20 mins just to not be rushed during a set, and its nice to know theyre comfortable and making the most they can out of a performance. In the end, these are the last shows, Live Nation is going to make a brinks truck of money and Trent is being given carte blanche. I dont know how they dont film a live dvd from these last ones either, especially with the photo print offer.

Krazy
12-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Probably a question for LA people that have been there before or are familiar with it. re: curfew- would be a bummer if NIN only plays ~1:15 regardless of how many nights they’re there for, most people are probably just attending one show. Either way I wouldn’t chance it and make sure to have your spot by 9:15. Doubt they take into account for traffic that late. Chicago is a bitch too, and there’s basically no parking a available bybthe Aragon. Gotta get lucky with a spot or park 10 mins away.

arsenic
12-07-2018, 11:59 PM
It looks like they opened with Mr. Self Destruct, followed maybe by Last?

Nobody is updating setlist.fm at the moment. If you're there make sure to enjoy the gigs!

sick among the pure
12-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Yeah unless they premiere something I don’t expect much talk until after the show.

Esperanzan
12-08-2018, 12:18 AM
I'm confident we won't get any debuts at all for these dates. Still great setlists.

Come_Reptile
12-08-2018, 12:23 AM
Still hoping for a The Idea of You debut one of these LA shows.

JessicaSarahS
12-08-2018, 12:39 AM
Parasite with Mariqueen! :eek: (I miss HTDA!)

Esperanzan
12-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Parasite with Mariqueen! :eek: (I miss HTDA!)

Confirmed?

frankie teardrop
12-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Confirmed?

yes.

they're doing 'a drowning' now too. there was one in between, but i couldn't make it out.