PDA

View Full Version : Gary Numan

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

botley
05-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Anybody going to the 'classic albums' shows imminent this month? I'm hitting all three nights at the Opera House here in Toronto.

I also caught the documentary "Android in La-La Land" here at the Lightbox, highly recommended!

Ryan
05-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Four track EP with Andy Gray:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01F884G7Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1462846368&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=for+you+Andy+Gray&dpPl=1&dpID=41As3yWT1iL&ref=plSrch

ChipRock
05-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Anybody going to the 'classic albums' shows imminent this month?

I'll be catching Gary on the UK tour in September. I'm not a huge fan generally, but I've seen him a couple of times before and I just love the shows. Last time though was back in 2008 on the Replicas tour, and I think he stopped playing locally (south coast) after that. Really looking forward to it anyway. All the hits, plus it'll probably be a family night out. I love that my folks like good music.

Ryan
05-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Gary Numan Official (https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOfficial/?fref=nf)10 hrs ·

Please forgive the proud Dad in me but this is a clip of Persia and Echo singing the 'If I Said' piano demo. I'd just finished the lyric and they had just that minute come home from school. They didn't really know the tune at all so it's a little wayward in places. They are both dyslexic, so them reading it at all was enough to make me watery eyed, but having your own children sing one of your new songs is about as special as it gets.

(the video is on the FB page)

wizfan
05-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Gary Numan to receive 2016 Moog Innovation Award

http://regenmag.com/news/gary-numan-to-receive-2016-moog-innovation-award/

otnavuskire
05-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Looks like Numan's set from Moogfest will be streaming live in a little over an hour at 10:30 EST

https://live.moogfest.com/facilities/141

botley
05-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Holy shit, I'm seeing Replicas/TPP/Telekon starting tonight! So unbelievably ready.

Ryan
06-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Gary's mother died today.

botley
08-07-2016, 10:50 AM
A rather long Pledge update, basically apologizing for the delay (this album definitely won't be released in October, looking more like it'll be out next summer), but as Gary was understandably quite shaken by the loss of his mum, all musical progress on the new album stopped.

The good news is, work will pick up in October with Ade Fenton once again joining Gary to produce the new album.

I really enjoyed the classic album residency and picked up CDs of all three albums performed at the London residency last year, absolutely great stuff. It was a brilliant way to spend three nights surrounded by Numan fans, who are some of the nicest and most intelligent music fans I know.

Ryan
09-03-2016, 11:11 PM
AccessPass Update 04 September, 2016 Sep 3, 2016. Bed Of Thorns Progress (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/73982)

Today the demo of the song Bed Of Thorns was sent to Ade Fenton in the UK for him to start production work on. I’ve added an mp3 of the final demo version, in full, to this update so that you will be able to follow it’s production progress. It’s not unusual for me and Ade to go back and forth on a track many times, sometimes it gets a little heated, as we try to find the best way forward. Each track is a new adventure so we’ll see how it goes with this one, the first of the new album. I also hope to have the If I Said song over to him before I leave for the UK next Friday. With luck Ade will be able to work on those two while I’m away touring and, if so, I should have some cool things to play to you when I get back.
The working title for the new album is ‘Savage’ by the way. I have no idea if that will stick but I got fed up calling it New Album and/or Album 21.
I have a number of new ideas underway but, as you know, it’s been a strange summer. Between the beginning of May and October 5th, a little over five months, I will have been here in Los Angeles a total of just 23 days. I will have played two tours, visited the UK for my Mum’s passing, had a weird holiday, visited the UK to see my Dad (post my Mum passing) and, in those 23 days, mostly just tried to catch up with things that got away from me by being away so much. From Oct 5th though I have nothing to do but finish the album, so looking forward to that.
I do have news on the label I’m likely to go with but I need to talk about that at another time.
As always, thanks for your patience.

Ryan
10-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Man, thinking back to A Prayer For The Unborn and One Perfect Lie (the first about Gary losing an unborn child and the latter about his dog dying), how emotional will Savage be? He lost his mother this year to cancer and just posted that his big dog Wilbur passed away.

Twiggy
10-25-2016, 08:37 AM
That's some sad news.
It will definitely have some impact on his new album.

I went to his gig in Melbourne in 2014 when I was back on holiday and it was epic. Such a great show. Would love to see him again.

Ryan
10-28-2016, 09:43 PM
One of those collaborators is the great Gary Numan (http://consequenceofsound.net/artist/gary-numan). The new wave and electronic pioneer guests on “Dark Rain”, a pulsing, clawing declaration of loneliness. “I’m drifting/ Like clouds that have no home,” Numan sings in his uniquely dripping voice. “I’m sinking/ Like everyone who’s alone.” Take a listen to the track below.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/gary-numan-joins-mexican-electro-rockers-titan-on-new-song-dark-rain-listen/

Interestingly, "Dark Rain" is also the title of one of the instrumental tracks from "The Radial Pair" soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0myqeLxiAQ

Ryan
10-28-2016, 09:52 PM
AccessPass Update 29 October, 2016 Friday. October 28th, 2016 (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/76111)

I am now back in the studio and working on new stuff. I have a new song underway with the working title ‘I Heard A Voice’. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will record a video update that shows the brief 30 second melody idea for this song that was then developed into something a little more complete, although still very much an early demo. Mostly though, tomorrow I will be working on the lyrics so that, by the end of Sunday, I will have a vocal version done of the demo, which I can then send to Ade.
As I said before (I think) the working title of the album is ‘Savage’, quite possibly that will be the actual title as I quite like it.
I have new software and patches coming which I hope will be inspiring. The first of those will be here on Monday. I also have my new MiniMoog D to play with, thanks to Moog.
I hope that the horrible things that have contributed to this year being the worst ever are now over. But, song writing has always been a therapeutic need for me so, given some time free of distractions, I should be able to use much of what was horrible and turn it into something more positive, albeit dark. Even if that happens though, I’ll still breathe a sigh of relief when this year is over. I have a feeling that much of the world feels the same.
Finally, but most importantly, happy birthday to my Dad, who is 80 years old today. A most remarkable man.
https://d2tqed3y8k290k.cloudfront.net/assets/jpgs/fe1/037/5d9/163637/tab_width.jpg?1477705330

Ryan
11-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Interesting how the latest demo has the same title as one from the Jagged sessions in 2006, "Mercy" -

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/76895?utm_campaign=project11288&utm_medium=email&utm_source=pledgemusic

simonn
11-26-2016, 02:00 AM
For UK fans, Android in LA LA Land is currently on BBC4 on demand. That's come out of the blue a bit! Just started downloading it...:confused:

theimage13
11-26-2016, 06:28 AM
For UK fans, Android in LA LA Land is currently on BBC4 on demand. That's come out of the blue a bit! Just started downloading it...:confused:

So for non-UK fans...the "fuck you" continues? :(

simonn
11-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Watched the film now - brief glimpses of Robin Finck and the Sheridan footage from the NIN London O2 gig in 2009. Film was very interesting, didn't realise that Gemma was such a rock - particularly the clip when Ade Fenton flies over from the UK to finish the Splinter sessions....don't want to give too much away though...very watchable anyway.

botley
11-26-2016, 10:04 AM
So for non-UK fans...the "fuck you" continues? :(
What the hell does that even mean? Numan had nothing to do with the production or distribution of this film, FYI

theimage13
11-26-2016, 12:25 PM
What the hell does that even mean? Numan had nothing to do with the production or distribution of this film, FYI

I'm well aware of that. I'm not saying fuck him or fuck the team who made the documentary. I'm saying "well, fuck the people in the States who want to see this".

It feels like fans in the US are so far shit out of luck if they want to see the documentary. I know there have been a very limited number of screenings in some of the major markets here, but that's been it as far as I know. No mention of any availability for purchase in this country as far as I've seen; at least nothing concrete. Did I miss some big announcement about that?

botley
11-26-2016, 06:03 PM
I'm well aware of that. I'm not saying fuck him or fuck the team who made the documentary. I'm saying "well, fuck the people in the States who want to see this".

It feels like fans in the US are so far shit out of luck if they want to see the documentary. I know there have been a very limited number of screenings in some of the major markets here, but that's been it as far as I know. No mention of any availability for purchase in this country as far as I've seen; at least nothing concrete. Did I miss some big announcement about that?
No, that's usually something a distributor would handle and they haven't sold the film to one here.

imail724
03-29-2017, 09:00 AM
What are Gary's best albums to come out since Telekon? I just heard the song Noise, Noise today and thought I'd give I, Assassin a spin, but none of his 80s albums seem to have nearly as high reviews as his late 70s albums. I'm not really interested in the more recent industrial stuff, hoping for some good new wave-era recommendations.

perceptionnexus
03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
What are Gary's best albums to come out since Telekon? I just heard the song Noise, Noise today and thought I'd give I, Assassin a spin, but none of his 80s albums seem to have nearly as high reviews as his late 70s albums. I'm not really interested in the more recent industrial stuff, hoping for some good new wave-era recommendations.

Dance and I, Assassin are awesome. I'm not sure of the title of album it's on, but the one with "my breathing" is pretty good too imo.

botley
03-29-2017, 08:00 PM
I'm actually a big fan of The Fury. Not many Numanoids seem to like it because of all the prominent background singers and saxophone. But the PPG Wave synth sounds amazing on it and the lyrics are suuuuper dark — "Call Out the Dogs" is one of his best songs and there are two Blade Runner samples in it, to boot!

Piko
03-29-2017, 08:56 PM
I don't really like his 80's stuff after Telekon. It got better in the 90s onward though.

botley
03-30-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty much all aboard until the late 80s; then it's just some inane stuff with Bill Sharpe and the whole debacle with his days signed to IRS before the nadir of Machine + Soul, utterly awful. Dark Light is the renaissance album, for me. Good as the songs were, I really don't like the way Sacrifice was mixed (in fact, I think Ade Fenton mentioned he wanted to remix it). To be fair, he didn't have the assistance of any outside help with it (apart from Kipper and TJ Davis on "Scar") — his now-wife Gemma even had to help with the engineering because it was recorded entirely at his home studio. Even down to the mastering (which Gary admits he royally fucked up).

Ryan
04-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Jesus. That Arabian section of My Name Is Ruin sounds fantastic! I'm referring to the most recent update video where Gary plays that and 3 other new demos, "Where Will You Be When The World Comes Apart," "Cold," and "Ghost Nation" - the latter is the title he has given the one called "my lost iPhone".

botley
04-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Gary's "Bed of Thorns" demo (https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=VCP8x_0WzvU%E2%80%AC) appears on the new Music Inspired by the Motion Picture Ghost in the Shell album, along with tracks by Tricky and DJ Shadow.

I'm only seeing it on digital retailers — are soundtrack CDs even a thing anymore?

Ryan
04-17-2017, 08:41 PM
I wonder why he's allowing a demo version to be put on there rather than the final version?

In any case, it sounds finished to me!

Ryan
04-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Hmmm.

https://s24.postimg.org/a2nx0tks5/IMG_2969.png

Ryan
04-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Welp, Gary sure went with that "sand/Arabian" image to match the album's sound that he mentioned in the last Pledge update video, judging by this new promo picture:

https://s1.postimg.org/cudwqofcv/IMG_2979.png
https://s1.postimg.org/40n09kse7/IMG_2980.png
https://s1.postimg.org/6w03gfwe7/IMG_2981.png

Ryan
04-20-2017, 07:46 AM
lol, someone here comments "not sure about the Islamic font though Gary, it might attract some unwanted attention" -

https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOfficial/photos/a.146356118757563.28686.128507877209054/1376458012414028/?type=3

https://s16.postimg.org/9ow57tehx/IMG_2984.jpg

People are such annoying idiot fucks.

Ryan
04-24-2017, 04:27 AM
ACCESSPASS UPDATE 21 APRIL, 2017Friday. April 21, 2017. New Image concerns. (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/83207)Hello Everyone,
As you may have seen the new UK tour has just been announced. Shows in Europe will be announced very soon and a North American tour hopefully will be confirmed in the next few weeks. I’m also looking at many other places around the world so, if things come together as I hope, I will be able to add a constant string of shows around the world in the coming months. I am very excited and optimistic about the next twelve months and what could happen with this album.
The reason for this update though is as an explanation. A few people seem concerned about the imagery of the new photos, the tour flyer mostly I guess, the type face used, the title itself combined with those things and so on. It seems that some misunderstanding is occurring and that some of you feel that it could be taken as, amongst other things, showing support for ISIS, an insult to Middle Eastern culture and decency, and so on. So, I would obviously like to clear that up before it goes any further because none of that is intended.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.pledgemusic.com/assets/jpgs/d38/173/03e/179962/tab_width.jpg?1492809407

The majority of the songs on the new album are taken from ideas I’ve been working on for a novel. Yes the same one I’ve been talking about for years. My Science Fantasy epic that will probably never see the light of day but, much as the short stories I was writing around Replicas time did for that album, so this permanently unfinished book is giving me a huge amount of material to write new songs about. The ideas for the book gave me songs for Dead Son Rising, a few for Splinter and now quite a few for Savage.
Savage then is a theme album by and large. Set in a post apocalyptic future where the earth has been devastated by global warming and what remains is mostly harsh, barren and desert like. The various cultures of the few that survived have, over generations, essentially merged into one. That merging driven mostly by the necessities of surviving in the environment that remains. The book (and therefore the album) is based upon concerns about the catastrophic effects of ignoring global warming, and how the survivors must adapt, and nothing at all to do with comparing existing cultures, terrorism, religion or nuclear war. The title Savage does not refer to a person, or to a culture, but to the environment the people exist in in this fictional future. The new photo is meant to depict a scene from that blighted future, it is certainly not meant to imply that people that live in a desert region are ‘Savage’. The clothes I’m wearing are not desert clothes, they are pseudo military looking (and meant to look worn out in the harshness of that world) and represent the way we may all need to look if policies designed to stop the effects of global warning are abandoned or ignored in certain vitally important key regions of the world over the next few years.
The world the album describes is savage and the people in it need to be to survive, but that’s all there is to it. It’s fantasy, but based on my fears about what’s going to happen to future generations if we don’t do what needs to be done to protect the planet. It is not particularly political, not anti religious (for once), not anti anything other than the almost unbelievably ignorant decisions in one part of the world to walk away from agreements and commitments concerned with combating climate change and protecting our environment.
Not every song is about this, I have other things that have found their way in to the album, but the image and style of ‘Savage’ is very much guided by the concerns mentioned above. Concerns that are forming the heart of the book that in turn supplied the bulk of the ideas for the album. It is absolutely not a dig against the Middle East or the people that live there, on the contrary, it’s a dig against certain Western powers who are ignoring overwhelming proof that they need to change their thinking and stop dismantling all the good that was about to be done to fight climate change.
And with that I will step down from my little soap box and get back to finishing the song called ‘Savage’. A song more aptly described as fitting a sweeping landscape scene in a film rather than forming part of a rock album, but it seems to work and it’s very grand and epic. Rather beautiful in fact, even if I say so myself :)
The album is very close to being finished now. The main album is done apart from one vocal/lyric, I’m finishing off the extra track for the Deluxe CD this weekend and the final song for the vinyl version will completed by the end of next week. I’ll do another audio or video update around then and play you some more things. But, by the skin of our teeth, it really does look as though it’s going to be ready on time.
A word of thanks to Joseph Cultice for taking such extraordinary photos in a genuinely harsh environment. I’m very grateful to his skill and enthusiasm in getting the visual side together.
I’d also like to thank Ade Fenton who, as always, is doing a remarkable job on the production and turning my rough ideas into music to be proud of.
I will update the campaign again before it’s all over but I still wanted to say, yet again, how much I appreciate your support, and your patience, with this campaign and the making of the album. I know only too well how badly I messed up with my initial release date and your understanding of that was very heartwarming (mostly). I am, as ever, so grateful for your interest.
Bye,
Gary Numan.

astfgyl
04-24-2017, 05:49 AM
Bed of Thorns is the best I've heard from Gary in years. I had sort of lost interest as I felt nothing from the last couple of albums, so never even knew he had something coming out until now. On my 3rd listen in a row now. The chorus is really reminding me of something Type O Negative might have written circa October Rust.

niggo
04-24-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm a big fan of Gary's last two albums and I'm looking forward to the next one. If he's playing any shows in my area I will definitely be there. :)

Also I think his way of communicating with his fans is incredibly cool!

Ryan
05-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Sunday, April 30th, 2017. Songs Written (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/83590)Just a very quick text update to let you know that the song writing for the new album is finished. The song titles are (unless I change a few over the next week or so, which I might):

Bed Of Thorns
Mercy
If I Said
I Heard A Voice
Ghost Nation
My Name Is Ruin
Cold
And It All Began With You
Save Me
I Belong Here
Where Will You Be (When The World Comes Apart)
If You Had Seen

A few too many I, Me and My’s in that lot to be honest so I will need to rethink one or two at least. I will do another video or audio update this week to let you hear some clips of the more recent songs, and clips of some finished versions of earlier songs. Not mixed finished, but production finished. I think we are due a bit of an update on the overall campaign in fact, a bringing up to date of all that’s gone on.

The main CD will have 10 songs, the Deluxe CD will have 11 and the Vinyl will have 12. I have yet to decide which songs will go on which versions but I will do that tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will also start on the sleeve artwork for the three versions (CD, Deluxe CD and Vinyl) and the Pledge t-shirt and poster. I leave LA for the UK on May 13th so I hope to have everything done by then and present the finished music and artwork to BMG while I’m there. Mastering is on the 19th in London and that is the last thing to be done as far as creating the album itself is concerned. There is a lot more to do after that of course.

I should feel excited and happy but I just feel shattered to be honest. I’m actually leaning towards grumpy this evening which is a bit odd. Still, it’s a huge thing to have got done, lots of stress and a vast array of emotions, for a long and very concentrated period of time, so perhaps it’s not that surprising that I don’t feel quite like throwing a party just yet. Maybe because I still have some concerns.

I still want to have another look at the main verse melody on Where Will You Be for one thing. I think that could be better. So, maybe I’ll tweak it a bit more before starting on the artwork. Give or take a tweak though, it’s done.

Gary N.

WorzelG
05-03-2017, 07:05 AM
^^^I love how honest he is in these updates. A bit of a grump

Ryan
05-03-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm interested to see how the final product turns out considering how much he's been through since Splinter came out. His mother's passing, the passing of a lot of his animals, court cases, stress from idiot fans... Lyrically I wouldn't be surprised if a fuck or two appears. Hell, maybe even a fist fuck.

Shadaloo
05-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Man, here I thought he was just riffing off Dune imagery. I'm excited for this.

Also, I've had My Breathing and Call Out The Dogs on repeat all day, coincidentally.

botley
05-05-2017, 06:16 AM
New live DVD, Legacy (https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=32614&cur=USD), filmed last year during the "classic era" tour in Liverpool.

simonn
05-05-2017, 06:58 AM
^^^I love how honest he is in these updates. A bit of a grump

It was worth signing up to his Pledge campaign just for the videos, and not even the musical content, just him chatting away, and regularly over-sharing personal info! Guy is a legend. Have a ticket for Brixton in October. It'll be the third new album tour in a row I'll have seen him on, having not seen him since 1986, so he must be doing something right....!

Ryan
05-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Interesting to note that "When the world comes apart" is a line from "Magic" and "Mercy" was a demo song title from the Jagged sessions that eventually became a song on Dead Son Rising:

14th May, 2017. Savage Running Order for All Formats (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/84178)

I have retitled a few of the songs and have worked out what I think is the best running order for the three versions, CD, Deluxe CD and Vinyl. Final song titles and running order is as follows:

Ghost Nation
Bed Of Thorns
My Name Is Ruin
The End Of Things
If I Said
When The World Comes Apart
Mercy
Pray For The Pain You Serve
Broken

The extra song for the Deluxe CD is ‘Cold’.

The extra songs for the Vinyl version are ‘Cold’ and ‘What God Intended’.

My apologies for not getting the video/audio clips out as I said I would, I will very soon, but I’ve been too busy on other things, artwork mostly, which is looking great. I’m really happy with it.

I have a big and important meeting with BMG tomorrow (I flew into London this afternoon) and then I drive to Bath to work with Ade on the mixes.

Mastering Friday so everyone has to be ready for that.

UK tour dates for the album are announced and on-sale, Europe as well, North America coming very soon and then we’ll start pitting tours together in other regions. Very exciting times (but I really will get those music clips out to you as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone,

Gary N.

Ryan
05-15-2017, 08:32 AM
botley just shot you a PM.

Ryan
05-16-2017, 01:02 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_(Gary_Numan_album)

Just made the page if you'd like to contribute.

REPLICA
05-18-2017, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go on Pledge and put in a pre-order for another copy of the vinyl. I got in on the autographed edition before they sold out. I'm kind of glad the album has taken a while to come out; as much as I love Gary, I wouldn't want him to rush his productions now. Definitely getting tickets if he ventures in the south east US.

REPLICA
05-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Gary's interview from Music-News.com - May 18, 2017 - via Steel and You (Youtube).

https://youtu.be/rSyBLLBrK1I

botley
05-19-2017, 10:18 PM
I love Numan's enthusiasm for making field recordings and sticking them into his music. It has been a recurring technique of his going back (I believe) to The Fury, if not earlier.

Ryan
05-19-2017, 11:02 PM
I found this online two nights ago - never heard of it before. Anyone want it?

https://s24.postimg.org/idrk3rlbp/image.jpg
https://s24.postimg.org/yda7nbhdh/image.jpg

botley
05-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Aren't those just retitled tracks from The Radial Pair soundtrack?

Ryan
05-19-2017, 11:19 PM
Possibly. However, Magic has the "ayyyy ohhhhh" part but I haven't got the time right now to listen to them all:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ru5w5y

botley
05-20-2017, 12:25 AM
I dunno, sounds to me like someone just cut together mostly bits without lyrics from the official versions, and looped them over and over. Rubbish outfakes.

The 'instrumental demos' don't sound much like what Gary was doing in that period, probably yet more fan creations.

Ryan
05-20-2017, 04:31 AM
I dunno, sounds to me like someone just cut together mostly bits without lyrics from the official versions, and looped them over and over. Rubbish outfakes.

The 'instrumental demos' don't sound much like what Gary was doing in that period, probably yet more fan creations.

Ah, crap. Well, in other news, GN posted on twitter (so did Ade) that Savage is completely finished and mastered now. Can't wait to hear this beast!

Ryan
05-20-2017, 05:49 AM
Did some wikipedia updating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_(Gary_Numan_album)

Savage is the upcoming twenty-first studio album by English musician Gary Numan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Numan). The album was first announced to be a part of a fan-backed Pledge Music Campaign on November 12, 2015.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_%28Gary_Numan_album%29#cite_note-1) As of May 2017, the campaign has reached 245% of its intended 100% goal. Gary initially intended Savage to have a 2016 release, but was delayed to the second half of 2017. As of May 20, 2017, mastering of the album has been completed as announced on Numan's official Twitter account.

Recording, Working Titles & Song Notes

Since its inception, Savage has gone through many different lyrical and musical changes, many of which fans witnessed via the Pledge Campaign. In order of appearance, working demo song titles included:

Dome
Kontakt 7 (Bed Of Thorns early title)
March
I Heard A Voice
Save Me
I Belong Here
Where Will You Be (When The World Comes Apart)
If You Had Seen

It is worth noting that when the world comes apart is a line sung in the 1994 Sacrifice (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_(Gary_Numan_album)) song Magic, and Mercy (appearing on the album proper) was an early demo title during the 2006 Jagged (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged) sessions, which would eventually become We Are The Lost from Dead Son Rising (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Son_Rising).
A 'pre-Ade Fenton' mp3 of "Bed Of Thorns" was made available to download on September 3, 2016.
Furthermore, a demo version of "Bed Of Thorns" appears on the soundtrack to the 2017 film Ghost In The Shell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(2017_film)). To quote Gary: "I have a new song Bed Of Thorns on the recently released Ghost In The Shellalbum. To be exact it's my early demo version of the song. The version that will come out on my Savage album in a few months is considerably different."
"Bed Of Thorns" debuted live on October 2, 2016.
On May 13, 2016, Gary added a video and the following text to Facebook regarding the ballad If I Said, wherein his daughters, Persia and Echo, sing the song in unison:
"Please forgive the proud Dad in me but this is a clip of Persia and Echo singing the 'If I Said' piano demo. I'd just finished the lyric and they had just that minute come home from school. They didn't really know the tune at all so it's a little wayward in places. They are both dyslexic, so them reading it at all was enough to make me watery eyed, but having your own children sing one of your new songs is about as special as it gets."

Pledge Campaign Perks & Offers

In addition to the AccessPass (regular album video updates and being able to hear demos and works in progress), the following items and offers were - and very few still are - available from the campaign:

Digital Download of New Album
New Album on CD
New Album on Deluxe CD
New Album on Double Vinyl
New Album Poster (Signed)
New Album Bundle
Private Listening Party US
Private Listening Party UK
Mesa Boogie Guitar Rig (Signed)
New Album on Signed CD
New Album on Deluxe Signed CD
New Album on Double Vinyl (Signed)
Q Awards Wristband (Signed)
Boarding Pass from Classic Album Tour
Lighting Plans - Classic Album Tour
Live Arrangement Sheet (Signed)
Lyric Cheat Sheet (Signed)
Your Name In The Liner Notes
Classic Album UK Tour Schedule Sheet
Handwritten Lyric Sheet from the New Album (Signed)
Handwritten Lyric Sheet - Back Catalogue (Signed)
'White Label' Test Pressing (Signed)
Handwritten Lyric Booklet
Drawmer DL 221
Korg WaveStation SR
Roland D-550 (Rack Synth)
Mastering VIP
Alesis XT20 ADAT
Alesis QS 6.2 Synth
Yamaha CS-5 Synth
Stage Top [Gary's shirt]. [Worn at] Classic Album Shows
Roland System 100. Model 101
Saturn Vocal Microphone (Signed)
Fender Bass Guitar (Signed)
GEM S2 Turbo synth/WorkStation
Oberheim. OBXa
Gibson SG Guitar (Signed)
Your Song Remixed [by Gary Numan]

Ryan
05-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Looks like What God Intended is now on the album. If I Said is the deluxe exclusive and Cold is the vinyl exclusive:

Saturday. May 20th, 2017. Mastering (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/84414)Yesterday the album was mastered at the Alchemy Mastering suite in West London. The final running order is now as follows, and these song titles are now confirmed:

CD:
Ghost Nation
Bed Of Thorns
My Name Is Ruin
The End Of Things
Mercy
What God Intended
Broken

Deluxe CD:
Ghost Nation
Bed Of Thorns
My Name Is Ruin
The End Of Things
Mercy
What God Intended
If I Said
Broken

Vinyl:
Ghost Nation
Bed Of Thorns
My Name Is Ruin
The End Of Things
Mercy
What God Intended
If I Said
Broken
Cold

BMG are also releasing a cassette version but I don’t know at the moment the running time allowed for that so I don’t know how many songs we can have on it. At least the same as the standard CD though.

Thanks to the four Pledgers, Richard, Michael, Stephen and David, who bought the Mastering VIP option and who sat in for the entire Mastering session yesterday. It was a long process. Matt Colton the mastering engineer at Alchemy Mastering worked his usual magic. We made quite a few changes to the mixes as the day unfolded. Nathan Boddy, who mixed the album, was standing by in his studio in East London. Ade would call Nathan and say what adjustments we needed, Nathan would get on with that and then send the files via Dropbox back to the Mastering room for Matt to continue working on. We’ve not done it that way before so it was interesting but it worked out really well.

We will now live with the Mastered versions for the weekend, make sure everything is perfect and approve them on Monday.

I fly back to Los Angeles tomorrow so I’ll finally get some audio posted here for you to listen to. Sorry for the delay on that.

Ryan
05-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Jesus Christ, by the sounds of these clips I feel like this is going to be better than Splinter. All the tracks are so strong - and that Arabian-electro part of "My Name Is Ruin" makes me jizz every time I hear it:

>>

Tuesday. May 25, 2017. Music Clips & Dust Jacket Artwork (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/garynuman/updates/84642) My apologies for the delay in updating you with clips of finished versions of some of the new songs. Although the album was mastered last Friday we decided to make some changes early this week and so that required new mixes and remastering. All done now though. The songs have been sent to BMG and the paperwork for registration with the label and publishers has all been completed.

I got back to Los Angeles on Sunday evening and had intended to have a day off before starting on the remaining three songs that will be used for exclusives, giveaways, that kind of thing. The Manchester explosion shook me very badly though and I haven’t really had the heart to start on new music just yet. So, I’ve used the time to fill in the various registration forms that I mentioned, work more on the artwork and other album related nitty gritty.

Anyway, you will find a few short clips of the mastered versions of some of the new songs:

Ghost Nation
Bed Of Thorns
My Name Is Ruin
Mercy
If I Said (which will be on the Deluxe CD and Vinyl but not the Standard CD)

You have seen roughly how the main sleeve is going to look already so I’ve also added a look at one side of the inner dust sleeves for the album. This is still a work in progress but will give you a good idea.

The release date has been set but I need to wait until BMG okay the announcement. All I can say is it will definitely be before the UK tour.
I have made a start on the hand written items, lyric sheets etc, so I will start to send them out in the coming weeks although that may not happen fully until mid July.
The campaign is still ongoing and will probably run until a week or two before the album is officially released, so time left yet to see how the extra songs turn out, the sleeve, a video possibly (certainly), what’s going to be the single and the many other parts of the project.
Much to do still :)

https://d2tqed3y8k290k.cloudfront.net/assets/jpgs/8e8/2c1/c5a/183191/tab_width.jpg

[parasite]
05-29-2017, 07:05 AM
just came across this:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/29/being-boiled-to-i-feel-love-gary-numans-top-electro-tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan
05-31-2017, 05:09 AM
So Gary got the lyrics he wrote for Ghost Nation tattooed on his arms...

https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOfficial/photos/a.146356118757563.28686.128507877209054/1418240718235757/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=E

REPLICA
06-12-2017, 08:57 AM
I've been checking https://garynuman.com/tours2/ to see if there are any North American tour dates posted. Still waiting. But it looks like the Euro tour is nice and beefy.

niggo
06-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I've been checking https://garynuman.com/tours2/ to see if there are any North American tour dates posted. Still waiting. But it looks like the Euro tour is nice and beefy.

From his Facebook:

A quick recap on my touring plans for 2017.
In late July I'm doing a short four date mini tour. This before the new Savage album is released.
In September/October the main UK Savage Tour.
In late October a short European tour.
In November/December a North American Tour, the dates for which will be announced soon.

Ryan
06-15-2017, 08:42 PM
ACCESSPASS UPDATE 15 JUNE, 2017

Thursday, June 15th, 2017. New single, video and other things

I think it’s true to say that I have a long history of choosing the wrong singles to promote albums. So, with Savage, I’ve asked BMG and the PR teams to choose. They have gone for ‘My Name Is Ruin’ which, worryingly, is the one I’d have chosen. However, the decision is made and so that song will now be the flagship introduction to Savage.

Later today I’m driving out to the desert, quite near Palm Springs actually, to start shooting the promo video for the song. The next few days are going to be extremely hot in the desert, 112 degrees F upwards apparently (44.5 C) so we intend to shoot in the very early morning and then again at night, keeping out o the hear as much as possible during the day. The director for this video, I’m delighted to say, is Chris Corner from IAMX who shot the ‘I Am Dust’ video in 2014, one of my all time favorites.

The video will be for the full length album version, which runs for just over six minutes, although there will be shorter radio edits made of the audio. I’m not sure if we’ll make shorter video edits as well but it’s likely. A photographer is coming along for both days of the shoot this time so I hope to have some cool behind the scenes type pics posted soon.

My daughter Persia sings on the ‘Ruin’ song so she will be in the video as well. She’s already dyed her hair and eyebrows pure white in preparation so she looks rather like a beautiful miniature alien at the moment. We also have a couple of camera fitted drones that we’ll be using so I’m hoping for some spa tabular shotes as the next two days unfold. We will be shooting Friday and Saturday.

I have no release date for the single as yet but I understand that BMG are announcing the album release date around the 26th of June and so possibly the single release date as well. The US Tour Dates for Savage will also be announced around June 26th or soon after.

I finally finished the vinyl album artwork yesterday so now I have to get on with the CD, Deluxe CD and cassette designs, plus the July merch and October merch items (which will be different). Also the Pledge poster and t-shirt is done but I will get them manufactured and sent out in late April/early September. This Pledge campaign will be closing a week or two before the album release but I’ll let you know exactly when asap. The lyric booklets that were part of the Pledge campaign have arrived and so I’ll begin to plough through that as soon as I can. Savage is a particularly wordy album lyrically so I’m beginning to regret the hand written lyric part of the campaign :) (Not really).

Other news; I’m behind schedule with writing and recording the extra three songs that are part of my BMG deal. I have made a start but I won’t have anything for you to listen to until the end of next week. However, I then fly to the UK on the 27th and won’t be back in Los Angeles until August 12th so I’ll have to finish off those three songs then.

The decision to release images and audio of the album is now with BMG so I can’t show you the album sleeve just yet, although if you’ve seen the tour flier with the Eastern looking font and desert image you’ve got a pretty good idea already.

It seems like a lifetime ago this projected got underway. I only hope you think it was all worth it when you hear the finished album. But, plenty to do before then so more updates soon.

I’ve added a clip of the Mastered version of ‘My Name Is Ruin’ as a reminder, and a Mastered clip of the song I co-wrote with Ade Fenton called ‘What God Intended’.

REPLICA
06-27-2017, 08:15 AM
(Supposed to be an image of the North American show listings... Just imagine it's there until I can fix it - or not)

I'll be going to Atlanta! ...If I can secure tickets! I wish there were more south eastern shows though.

Shadaloo
06-28-2017, 11:49 PM
No Montreal date. Can't say I'm surprised, but...Booooo-urns.

REPLICA
06-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Just got my tickets for the Atlanta show! Is anyone else going?

I told a friend of mine about the VIP packages but I don't know if he wants to shell out $220; of course me being a big Numan fan, I thought about saving some cash for it.

Ryan
07-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Why hasn't GN officially covered a NIN song yet!?

The Becoming would be an awesome choice.

voidnz
07-05-2017, 05:07 AM
First single is going to be played on UK radio today. I assume it'll be My Name is Ruin. :)

EDIT:
I'm a bit bummed out by the track to be honest. There's a part that is exactly like Love Hurt Bleed. I think it could have been produced a lot better.

Ryan
07-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Looks like the album title is now subtitled as "Savage: Songs From A Broken World" -

All editions to buy here:

https://garynuman.tmstor.es/

Stereo75
07-05-2017, 08:01 PM
$31 CAD for the Winnipeg date. It's GA in a nice sized club. Getting tickets tomorrow. Can't wait! He must have done well ($) when he was here a few years ago, as hardly no one comes to Winnipeg.

REPLICA
07-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Looks like the album title is now subtitled as "Savage: Songs From A Broken World" -

All editions to buy here:

https://garynuman.tmstor.es/

I kept thinking about that limited picture disc but I need food more. I did pledge for a signed vinyl copy last year, so that'll be heading my way. While I'm a huge Numan fan, I don't think I can justify the picture disc at the moment. I do know it'll become a nice collector's piece though; that signed artwork is always good. I have a copy of the Dead Son Rising deluxe edition and I was glad I spent $100+ for that edition since it came with remixes and such.

On a separate note, how is the final version of My Name Is Ruin? I haven't heard it yet. I thought about preordering the CD or deluxe CD just to get the track now.

voidnz
07-06-2017, 01:33 AM
As pledgers we should get the track by default. Someone's dropped the ball a bit...people are kinda pissed. I have Apple Music so I can listen on that anyway so im not bothered.

I'm not a fan of the track if im honest. I just feel like it had potential to be a lot better. It's good up until the Love Hurt Bleed bit which kinda ruins the chorus for me.

Ryan
07-06-2017, 03:05 AM
As pledgers we should get the track by default. Someone's dropped the ball a bit...people are kinda pissed. I have Apple Music so I can listen on that anyway so im not bothered.

I'm not a fan of the track if im honest. I just feel like it had potential to be a lot better. It's good up until the Love Hurt Bleed bit which kinda ruins the chorus for me.

You know, it's funny you say that, because I couldn't get into Love Hurt Bleed because the "dun dun dun, dun-dun-dun, dun dun dun, dun-dun" part reminded me too much of a section of Slave from "Jagged". Can you hear that correlation?

Ryan
07-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Ok, after just listening to it I really dig it. Sure, that coda from Slave/Love Hurt Bleed is a little repetitive, but I guess Gary just likes it a lot. His daughter's vocals in the background sound really pretty.

WorzelG
07-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Hold your horses, I just did get an email from the Pledge thing with a download link. Check your email

Ryan
07-06-2017, 07:52 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/2nkng2h.png

[parasite]
07-06-2017, 08:00 AM
i like it

polski
07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Jesus Fucking Christ somebody get this guy a real graphic designer.

voidnz
07-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ somebody get this guy a real graphic designer.

Yep!
Ryan, I see what you mean about Slave. It also sounds close to Here in the Black. It's almost like he's just recycling this stuff. I don't mind the tune being used multiple times - Trent has done this in NIN, but it just sounds exactly like it was copy pasted from Love Hurt Bleed.

I don't want to be too negative about it. I hope the song does well for him. The other stuff he previewed on the pledge sounded amazing so still excited for the album.

Glad we finally got our download.

Shadaloo
07-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm quite enjoying this. Sounds like music to read Dune novels to. :)

Kulerage
07-08-2017, 09:18 PM
I quite like My Name is Ruin, but then again I'm pretty new to Numan and have only listened to The Pleasure Principle and Sacrifice so far. I simply haven't had the time to really listen to much.

Ryan
07-09-2017, 02:58 AM
I quite like My Name is Ruin, but then again I'm pretty new to Numan and have only listened to The Pleasure Principle and Sacrifice so far. I simply haven't had the time to really listen to much.

Get your ass listening to Pure, Exile, Jagged, Dead Son Rising and Splinter.

[parasite]
07-09-2017, 05:08 AM

i really like hybrid, ok it's a remix album (with a few new tracks) the rest are reworked tracks and imho their real good,

Kulerage
07-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Get your ass listening to Pure, Exile, Jagged, Dead Son Rising and Splinter.
I will get to it when I have the dedicated time!

Ryan
07-12-2017, 03:08 AM
I will get to it when I have the dedicated time!

Also Hybrid (check out 'Ancients') and Jagged Edge.

REPLICA
08-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Be sure to check your PledgeMusic info; I got an email with the download for What God Intended.

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 06:27 PM
I've only ever listened to and only own Splinter album. i was fortunate enough to see Numan live twice on his Splinter tour (was at two shows in support of Big Black Delta.) let me say i was presently surprised when i heard Numan perform and watching him perform! The guy was everywhere on stage. one could've mistaken him thirty yrs younger than he is. got to meet Numan post show and he was very kind. did pictures with my bro and myself and signed our posters. i would also like to add that we (my bro and myself) met some of the Numan fan club and they were really nice and hung out with us at both shows. what other albums of his would you guys recommend?

r_z
08-03-2017, 07:57 PM
I think it's safe to say that the undebuted classic in his catalog has to be The Pleasure Principle followed by Telekon and Replicas (which he released with The Tubeway Army). So check them out! :)

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 08:34 PM
I think it's safe to say that the undebuted classic in his catalog has to be The Pleasure Principle followed by Telekon and Replicas (which he released with The Tubeway Army). So check them out! :)
okay, ty. ordered from amazon
:)

rampface
08-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Dance is great as well. Start with Pure for new era stuff.

REPLICA
08-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Dance is great as well. Start with Pure for new era stuff.

I would try I, Assassin if Dance seems too dense/complex. I know it took me a few listens to fully appreciate Dance.

I do agree with you on Pure too!

Ryan
08-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Gary's been playing My Name Is Ruin live with his daughter Persia at these recent shows.

Ghost Nation, Mercy, Pray for the Pain You Serve and When the World Comes Apart have all been played live now.

Also, And It All Began With You was premiered on a radio show yesterday.

botley
08-22-2017, 03:29 PM
"And It All Began With You" is now on the streaming services. It's my favourite of the songs premiered so far, a simply amazing sound with Numan's voice way up front. Cool cover art, too:

https://resources.tidal.com/images/87f7b286/a15b/4698/bce8/f598295fd70b/1280x1280.jpg

polski
08-24-2017, 11:29 AM
man, gonna have to disagree on that cover that typography is a brutal eyesore and the lazy gradient doesn't even make sense

also man i would give up on that particular hairpiece oof

Maximilian
09-03-2017, 07:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRNTEJZ5Q8

Happened to find this because I'm subbed to Jonesy's Jukebox.

m0reta
09-08-2017, 04:40 PM
So I received my autographed hand written lyrics page in the mail today. It's for 'Broken' and pleases me to no end. Should I post picture here? I wasn't sure if lyrics would need spoiler tag. :'D

REPLICA
09-11-2017, 10:57 AM
When The World Comes Apart - Official Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5E6RTDA7oc

REPLICA
09-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Received my shipping notice from Pledge about my signed vinyl!

Haysey_Draws
09-15-2017, 03:00 AM
The albums now up on Spotify, it's pretty good. I might pick this up on payday.

[parasite]
09-15-2017, 06:04 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/6b4379599212d0c7eadd0e922fc4b423.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/3c048d38a635add88cb408c82bdcd491.jpg

Thomas W Jefford
09-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Not had a chance to sit and listen to the new album yet.
Tuesday will be my chance.
Tickets are in the bag for cardiff, always enjoy his shows.

Demogorgon
09-17-2017, 09:31 AM
I like it, but... his vocal delivery, patterns, and overall tone are unchanged from the last two or three albums. It's like he sings every song the same way now just with different lyrics and music in the background. There's not much variation. I'm a big fan of his catalog, but I just find myself becoming more and more bored with each new album.

hellospaceboy
09-17-2017, 05:48 PM
I like it, but... his vocal delivery, patterns, and overall tone are unchanged from the last two or three albums. It's like he sings every song the same way now just with different lyrics and music in the background. There's not much variation. I'm a big fan of his catalog, but I just find myself becoming more and more bored with each new album.

While I wouldn't say I was bored with it, I did find it startling how similar My Name Is Ruin was to the songs on Splinter! Listening to Savage that feeling didn't exactly go away, it's like a direct continuation of the previous album.

botley
09-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Deliberately so. Hence the similar subtitle.

eversonpoe
09-18-2017, 09:42 AM

While I wouldn't say I was bored with it, I did find it startling how similar My Name Is Ruin was to the songs on Splinter! Listening to Savage that feeling didn't exactly go away, it's like a direct continuation of the previous album.

Deliberately so. Hence the similar subtitle.

i hear a few similar motifs on the new album from the previous one, but nothing that makes me feel like he didn't make a new album. trent repeats motifs all the time and people think it's cool how it connects his work...why can't gary do the same?

i listened to Savage this morning and i thoroughly enjoyed it. the guitar tone isn't quite as full as Splinter, which is about my only complaint. as an album, i feel like it flowed a bit better than Splinter, but there weren't as many songs that i absolutely loved. overall, a solid album, and it fits nicely with its predecessor as a suite.

muse-lyre candy
09-18-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm really looking fwd to seeing Numan in November
:)

[parasite]
09-20-2017, 12:18 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170920/f82820cf90f0ed213f0ab476217a3e5c.png

https://www.facebook.com/GaryNumanOfficial/photos/p.1526891884037306/1526891884037306

Conan The Barbarian
09-23-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm really loving this record I am glad he is finding success with it.

eversonpoe
09-23-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm really loving this record I am glad he is finding success with it.

me too! i've listened to it a few times now and it's just really solid.

rampface
09-23-2017, 04:22 PM
I've been a fan of Numan since '95. Cool to see him making music he loves and is great. Savage and Pure are my favorite late era Numan albums.

[parasite]
09-24-2017, 01:56 PM
http://news.sky.com/story/gary-numan-on-pushing-the-limits-of-technology-in-music-11047962

Kulerage
09-24-2017, 02:04 PM
It seems Savage got No. 1 on at least one chart!

[parasite]
09-24-2017, 02:09 PM
2nd in the UK charts

[parasite]
09-25-2017, 01:06 PM
http://www.musicradar.com/news/gary-numans-career-in-gear

botley
09-25-2017, 01:36 PM
http://www.musicradar.com/news/gary-numans-career-in-gear
Excellent piece. Particularly love the mention of recording with Robert Palmer at Compass Point in Nassau for Clues (one of my favourite LPs by anyone, ever) and its groundbreaking use of the early EDP Spider sequencer... here's a dude demonstrating it, playing around with a similar sequence to the one driving that album's classic "Johnny and Mary" bassline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GeLjPrr47k

Kind of mindblowing to think that NONE of the sounds on The Pleasure Principle were sequenced; all of it was played by hand. Even Telekon just had rudimentary drum machine programming, and only with Dance did he really get into melodic sequencing (just thinking of the trippy Roland Jupiter-4 arpeggio pattern on "Cry, the Clock Said" makes my hair stand on end).

jmtd
09-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Chewing over whether to see Gary or nadine shah

[parasite]
09-26-2017, 11:51 AM
and another......

edit: forget that I posted it the other day.....

Grim Reaper A.D.
09-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Does anyone have Cold and If I said in lossless? Found some MP3s on the net but want to get them in FLAC as well. Would appreciate a PM

Lerxto
09-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Does anyone have Cold and If I said in lossless? Found some MP3s on the net but want to get them in FLAC as well. Would appreciate a PM
I'd appreciate a PM too, in fact I don't even have MP3 files...

snichols
09-26-2017, 03:47 PM
i got my copy of savage cd in the mail a few days ago. i really like this album and think it is better than splinter, and i loved splinter:)

astfgyl
10-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Having heard both versions of Bed of Thorns today, I think the demo version is at least 10 times better than the album version. The demo, for me, is one of the best I've heard from him in years.

Conan The Barbarian
10-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Is there a disk with demos like he had with splinter?

astfgyl
10-03-2017, 11:47 AM
No not that I know of. I just meant the version from Ghost in the Shell. It's on youtube it was released a few months prior to the album. The album version has too much going on by comparison IMO.

[parasite]
10-10-2017, 06:50 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171010/1484704a56f3cde93137c81270e84bb4.jpg

and this also is in the latest edition of Q.
a 5 page write up

REPLICA
11-03-2017, 08:16 PM
The North American tour is looking pretty nice and hefty. A friend of mine and I will be at the Atlanta show; this will be his first time seeing Gary and my second time.

botley
11-10-2017, 03:27 PM
And... I just came (https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=34845).

Kulerage
11-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Just saw that on twitter.

botley
11-10-2017, 03:54 PM
In case you couldn't guess from my avatar, I'm kind of obsessive about that album.

eversonpoe
11-10-2017, 07:00 PM

OH MY GOD i am so excited to have "stormtrooper in drag" on vinyl. that's absolutely one of my favorite songs from gary's 80s period.

botley
11-10-2017, 07:52 PM
OH MY GOD i am so excited to have "stormtrooper in drag" on vinyl. that's absolutely one of my favorite songs from gary's 80s period.
They're including ALL the other bonus tracks from the remastered CD, too, which has me very excited. The title track has never appeared on vinyl before.

REPLICA
11-10-2017, 08:54 PM

I think I know where my paycheck is going!

theimage13
11-12-2017, 03:07 PM
He's playing in Lancaster?

I can't imagine that show being anything other than like 3/4 empty. I hope to god I'm wrong.

eversonpoe
11-13-2017, 12:18 PM
oh, jesus, i finally went to pre-order Dance and the cheapest shipping option is $15...ughhhhhhh

eversonpoe
11-27-2017, 09:12 AM
don't know if it's the purple vinyl, but the remastered 2xLP is finally up on amazon and it's a much better price (especially with free or cheap shipping)! - https://smile.amazon.com/Dance-Gary-Numan/dp/B0775CKT1D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511795439&sr=8-1&keywords=gary+numan+dance+vinyl

Graceless
11-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Curious if anyone else is at the First Ave show in Minneapolis right now?

REPLICA
12-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Had a fantastic time at the Atlanta show last night! It's been since 2006 since I've seen Gary live (and not on a DVD). Gary played a nice set and he graced the crowd with I Die: You Die in a second encore. I was able to buy up some good merch; signed poster, signed deluxe CD, regular hoodie, green premium hoodie, t-shirt (for a friend), and tote bag. I may try to post pictures of each item here but we'll see; I know I'm horrible at getting pictures to hang up here. Anyway, I know there was a black premium hoodie available last night in select sizes, vinyl, CDS, and Deluxe CDs also available to be purchased signed.

Me Not You was also a great support band! Female vocals + female drummer = AWESOME. I thought about getting some of their merch; they had 2 shirt designs and their EP on CD.

Some of the songs/performances that I was really glad to see/hear live...
Ghost Nation
The Fall
Pray for the Pain You Serve
Love Hurt Bleed
A Prayer for the Unborn
I Die: You Die

REPLICA
02-11-2018, 08:41 PM
So we've had Dance re-released on to a 2xLP package. What do you all think of it?

Personally (because of course opinions matter in this day and age) I think it's a good update from the original. Some original tracks featured low volume mastering (at least with my US copy) and the remaster cleaned them up. I should mention that having Dance (title track) and the b-sides in the same package is a great idea! I've longed for a proper release and since I've had the Beggars issued CD, I'm glad they finally made it to vinyl.

Question: Do you think Beggars will re-release I, Assassin (or even Warriors) after this effort of of Replicas to Dance? With Gary's new popularity it may be something they'll look in to. I know the record store guy I spoke to had never gotten into Gary's work and he was pretty blown away by Dance.

As far as great finds go... I did find Hybrid on 2xCD at a record store in Asheville, NC for $10. They also had Savage there too (on LP and CD) but I've already picked that up.

EDIT: Here's a link to an article about the Dance re-issue...
http://thequietus.com/articles/23814-gary-numan-dance-review-reissue

ChipRock
03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Looking forward to seeing Gary tonight at Portsmouth. Last time I saw him here was back in 2006.

Listening to him now being interviewed on local radio. The presenter is giving a good natured argument about nostalgia and so on, grilling him on why he won't do the 80s retro circuit. Probably nothing new for anyone, but it's nice to hear him speaking passionately and having a bit of a laugh. They're playing new songs as well.

Thinking about the new record... personally I can't help wonder if he might not benefit from working with somebody different in the studio. I'm really enjoying the new songs, but some of the production feels a little familiar now.

GavinCollins420
03-16-2018, 08:43 PM
Saw Big Gaz tonight in Edinburgh. Blew me away.

Seeing the Savage tracks live was something special. When the World Comes Apart and My Name is Ruin were definite highlights in a two hour long highlight.

What a show. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/8a6b438f090fe0d7f56bf21eee377897.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GavinCollins420
03-17-2018, 09:54 PM
More photos. Still buzzed.

https://i.imgur.com/H6F62sy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TJSn3fr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lCUz1o1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ObazZ6f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hGXKaQu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LRsXGBM.jpg

ChipRock
03-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Just to join in with the pictures:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29177600_10155126715220653_6398856596448870400_n.j pg?oh=c13192bf06054550b3baad1ed9e0efb6&oe=5B2EABBB

Quick review too then: Sold out show, which is always nice. Missed the support act for cheap beers down the road. Solid performance, as always. Gary didn't say much, but seemed in high spirits. The lights / screens looked ace. New material works so much better live, for me, than on record - In fact I felt the old stuff interrupted the vibe for the new stuff. The encore seemed a little odd too. Nice to have him mess around with the standard set list, but missing out Prayer was a bit of a shame. Just hope he feels able to tour so extensively in the UK in the future. So used to having to travel to see good artists, but Gary keeps it real, which is much appreciated.

GavinCollins420
03-20-2018, 01:42 PM
So, last night I discovered Stormtrooper in Drag.

I can't stop listening to it. I am fucking mesmerised by it.

eversonpoe
03-20-2018, 10:15 PM
So, last night I discovered Stormtrooper in Drag.

I can't stop listening to it. I am fucking mesmerised by it.

oh, man. that's my favorite gary numan song, hands down. i fucking love it. i was so excited it was included as a bonus track on the new pressing of Dance.

GavinCollins420
03-21-2018, 03:35 AM
oh, man. that's my favorite gary numan song, hands down. i fucking love it. i was so excited it was included as a bonus track on the new pressing of Dance.I'm not very good at describing music with words, but this song has something I can't put my finger on that makes it almost addictive. Everything about it is perfect.

eversonpoe
03-21-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm not very good at describing music with words, but this song has something I can't put my finger on that makes it almost addictive. Everything about it is perfect.

it's unique in gary's catalogue for a multitude of reasons - it has a groove that's not usually present; it has a flirtatiousness in the vocals that's very rare; gary's playing bass and paul gardiner is playing guitar; his voice isn't following a keyboard line, it's just doing its own thing; idunno, everything about it just makes it really interesting and fun and rewarding to listen to, so i love it.

rampface
03-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Yea man, one of my all time favorite Numan tracks. Dance is a underrated era.

rampface
03-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Whoa what?! Gary plays bass on that song!?! You just blew my mind

eversonpoe
03-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Whoa what?! Gary plays bass on that song!?! You just blew my mind

yeah, it was technically originally released as a single by paul gardiner!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormtrooper_in_Drag

botley
03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
"Stormtrooper" is a BANGER. Really pleased with the Dance reissue.

botley
03-28-2018, 01:18 PM
If y'all like that weird ambient stuff check this shit from 1984:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG-hwwlB3mc

WorzelG
04-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Just booked to see Gary Numan play with the Skaparis Orchestra in Cardiff. Looking forward to it

https://garynuman.com/orchestral-shows-ticket-update/

botley
04-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Sweet! I know he did a show with a small string section before, back on the Jagged tour. This concert series should be amazing!

Here is their conductor's announcement (http://www.srmusic.co.uk/gary-numan-and-the-skaparis-orchestra-collaboration-announcement-2/) about the shows. Live DVD recording at the Royal Albert Hall!

october_midnight
04-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Gary Numan 2018 Tour Dates:
04/28 – Mexico City, MX @ Control Fest
07/09 – Montreux, CH @ Montreux Jazz Festival (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/montreaux-jazz-festival-2018/)
07/21 – Manchester, UK @ Bluedot Festival (https://consequenceofsound.net/festival/bluedot-festival-2018/)
09/04 – Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
09/05 – Phoenix, AZ @ The Crescent Ballroom
09/07 – Austin, TX @ The Mohawk
09/08 – San Antonio, TX @ Paper Tiger.
09/09 – Dallas, TX @ Canton Hall
09/10 – Oklahoma City, OK @ Tower Theatre
09/11 – Kansas City, MO @ The Truman
09/13 – St. Louis, MO @ The Ready Room
09/14 – Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart’s
09/16 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
09/17 – Millvale, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre
09/18 – Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
09/20 – Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club
09/21 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
09/22 – New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
09/23 – Wilmington, DE @ The Queen
09/24 – Cleveland, OH @ House Of Blues
09/25 – Louisville, KY @ Headliner’s Music Hall
09/27 – Omaha, NE @ Slowdown
09/28 – Englewood, CO @ Gothic Theatre
09/29 – Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
10/01 – Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre
10/02 – Seattle, WA @ Neptune
10/03 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
10/05 – San Francisco, CA @ Bimbo’s 365 Club
10/06 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
11/12 – Cardiff, UK @ St. David’s Hall ^
11/13 – Birmingham, UK @ Symphony Hall ^
11/15 – Newcastle, UK @ City Hall ^
11/17 – Manchester, UK @ Bridgewater Hall ^
11/19 – London, UK @ Royal Albert Hall ^
11/20 – Glasgow, UK @ Royal Concert Hall ^

^ = w/ The Skaparis Orchestra

theimage13
04-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Great, great. Play Boston ONE DAY after I leave for tour. Asshole.

(jk love you Gary!)

Grim Reaper A.D.
08-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link :)

Lerxto
08-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Does anyone have a vinyl copy of Savage? I would like to have a lossless version of Cold if anyone ripped it (which is impossible to find on the net). Will be very grateful for a PM with the link :)
If you buy the vinyl the download code includes Cold in mp3. I never ripped the vinyl because of it.

Grim Reaper A.D.
08-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Well, I have an MP3 version but would still prefer a lossless one :)

botley
08-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Gary and Gemma popped over for tea with Toyah and Robert Fripp (https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2262969560385728) and I'm a little bit giddy about it!

sticksandhair
09-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Hello. Gary Numan show tonight at HOB Cleveland cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. NO OFFICIAL word yet. Downtown near HOB a tour bus was involved in an accident near HOB about 2 hours ago. An elderly man was hit and killed. :(

sticksandhair
09-24-2018, 03:08 PM
https://theblast.com/cars-gary-numan-tour-bus-struck-killed-pedestrian-cleveland/
:(

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
10-09-2018, 01:18 AM
on a NIN forum with everything Gary means to Trent, and there's no Numan thread? Lets have some respect for the king....His new (2017) album Savage ranks right up there with his early stuff....The guy is still putting out top notch material....Clearly the stuff he did from 1978 to the early 80s is classic and much like with Bowie, you skip a decade through all the shitbomb sellout pop mid 80s through early 90s albums albums and get right to the mid 90s....Starting with Sacrifice in 94, every album he has put out has been good to great. Dude is still at the top of his game. Clearly Trent gets a major assist because NIN is an obvious influence on the post 94 stuff...Ironic how Gary influenced Trent and then TR influenced Gary....and Tubeway Army is still fucking legendary

Findus
10-09-2018, 01:41 AM
Here's a Gary Numan thread:
https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/51-Gary-Numan

WorzelG
11-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Just booked to see Gary Numan play with the Skaparis Orchestra in Cardiff. Looking forward to it

https://garynuman.com/orchestral-shows-ticket-update/
heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though

simonn
11-12-2018, 12:34 PM
heading off to see this in a few hours, going on my own as my usual gig partner in Cardiff is on holiday. Still can’t wait though

I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...

11-12-2018, 02:32 PM
new EP is fucking sick

WorzelG
11-12-2018, 11:48 PM
I look forward to hearing about it, was still toying with the idea of going over the weekend...
I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???

Conan The Barbarian
11-13-2018, 01:41 PM
New EP?

botley
11-13-2018, 02:42 PM
New EP?

https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=39763

Conan The Barbarian
11-13-2018, 02:43 PM
https://garynuman.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=39763

Ah ok. That came up part of savage extended , that’s why I wasn’t popping up as a separate thing on my streaming service.

simonn
11-14-2018, 01:40 AM
I really enjoyed it, although I couldn’t tell that the orchestra added massively to the sound, textures here and there and some new intros (which were partially drowned out by morons behind me chanting Nuuuman at any quiet bit). It was heavy on new stuff with about 5 or 6 oldies sprinkled in. Worth it for me as I got a completely unsullied view after having seen them at the Tramshed last year where I was right at the back, couldn’t see a thing. So I got to see Gary Numan’s modern interpretive dance routines, ha ha! They performed a new single which sounds good and I haven’t even heard about a new EP???

Bit of a shame the orchestra didn't add more - been watching the Alter Bridge at The Royal Albert Hall Blu Ray - that's how to do it! Glad you enjoyed it though.

jmtd
11-15-2018, 04:28 AM
the orchestra show hits my home town tonight but alas, I can't make it.

11-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYO62PRswA

Substance242
11-26-2018, 01:24 PM
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FCUK.

Of course I know the name "Gary Numan", I do know he made some probably important album "Cars" decades ago :-), I like NIN "Metal", didn't like the recent live version on NIN channel very much, generally I don't look out for someone "new" to add to my list of approved artists :-) (the last one to make it was Steven Wilson before Hand.Cannot.Erase.) and don't trust recommendations anymore, but yesterday I tried innocent link in depechemode.cz comments and it was "My name is Ruin" - and my jaw dropped. WHAT? Then "The end of things" and it was done deal. I just listened to the whole Savage and Fallen EP (loud speakers, dark outside, just the fireplace burning) and I can't remember the last time I was this hypnotised by new music (maybe The Background World, but I know NIN), it's fucking amazing, where do I live with what people that noone mentioned this, it's great, I had no idea it could be this good! WOW. And he's only 60 (wow), so I'm here right from the start! :-) Some random memories from listening: Dead Can Dance, Alan Wilder remixing Nitzer Ebb, Blade Runner... can't remember, too overflown with the music. There's certain similar vibe to the tracks, but it's not all the same, and I was surprised it ends already. And it is loud but at least with this setup it worked beautifuly. And Gary signs much better than I thought he can. Got the get some t-shirt or something to let the world know! Mega.

Fun detail: when I enter "recently added" on my DLNA server, there is also "The START of things" from mid90s. :-)

Update:
"Am I awake or lost in old dreams?"
"Can any part of this be real?"
Perfect, will also pay more attention to the lyrics once I'm capable of not be blown away so much. Also, from some comments here it seems like I'm better off with not knowing previous work, all is completely new to me. :-)

imail724
11-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Was listening to The Plan the other day again. Punk rock Gary needs to get more love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIYO62PRswA
Ooh never knew about this comp, thanks for the rec! Early Numan is best Numan.

Substance242
11-29-2018, 05:02 AM
A few days later, I'm still in awe of/from Savage/The Fallen, listening each day, random parts popping in my head all the time... and there's not a single weak song in there. It speaks to me so strongly, maybe the right time, place, emotional state, but for example I can't go through If We Had Known without tears in my eyes (can you?). "Can you forgive me in time?"

botley
11-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Ooof, "If We Had Known" is a doozy. Strongly suspect it was inspired by the sudden loss of Wilbur, their English mastiff, a couple of years ago. Very sad.

snichols
12-06-2018, 07:24 PM
This new ep "the fallen" is blowing me away, in the same way savage blew me away.

botley
12-08-2018, 09:30 AM
The Savage Live at Brixton Academy album is also quite fucking epic.

Erneuert
12-13-2018, 03:48 AM
This new ep "the fallen" is blowing me away, in the same way savage blew me away.

It is amazing, and “If We Had Known” is definitely about their family dog that passed. Everything Gary has been putting out lately has been absolute gold.

My only complaint is that the new live release... well, you can really tell it has been fixed up in the studio with effects added and the vocals improved or re-recorded. I prefer a live release to be bare-bones and raw, mistakes and all included. It feels too polished from the videos I’ve seen posted on the official YT account.

01-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Numanoids whats the best live album to check out? I own every Numan album and EP ever made from 1977-1982, 1994-2018, yet I never bothered to check out the live albums outside of his Peel sessions disc (which is sick)......I know hes got like 50 live albums...Anything tops from the Excile/Pure/Hybrid era?

botley
01-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Scarred is my favourite from that era, it's a show very early in the Pure touring cycle with a few obscurities on the setlist.

He also did DVD/CD recordings for three gigs on the Hybrid tour, Fragment 01, Fragment 02, and Hope Bleeds. All three previewed early versions of songs on Jagged... I think the last one is the best of this lot, as far as production values go, but I still think the Scarred gig has more of that special vibe.

Soft spot in my heart always for the remixed 2CD expanded version of Living Ornaments '79... brilliant early stuff.

ChipRock
01-03-2019, 06:53 AM
My better half caught this on the radio yesterday - Gary talking about his experiences in London, as his home town: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001vdv (around 6 mins, from 2:12). Nice little segment, followed by a new track.

eversonpoe
01-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Scarred is my favourite from that era, it's a show very early in the Pure touring cycle with a few obscurities on the setlist.

He also did DVD/CD recordings for three gigs on the Hybrid tour, Fragment 01, Fragment 02, and Hope Bleeds. All three previewed early versions of songs on Jagged... I think the last one is the best of this lot, as far as production values go, but I still think the Scarred gig has more of that special vibe.

Soft spot in my heart always for the remixed 2CD expanded version of Living Ornaments '79... brilliant early stuff.

personally i think living ornaments 80 is phenomenal. 79 is great, but telekon will always be my fav album and that set is chock full of it.

Erneuert
01-04-2019, 04:26 AM
Numanoids whats the best live album to check out? I own every Numan album and EP ever made from 1977-1982, 1994-2018, yet I never bothered to check out the live albums outside of his Peel sessions disc (which is sick)......I know hes got like 50 live albums...Anything tops from the Excile/Pure/Hybrid era?

While it isn’t a live album, “New Dreams For Old” is a really good compilation of obscure and reworked tracks that I really dig.

01-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Just got Scarred in the mail today. Fucking sick album. That Pure tour was def one of his best tours.

Erneuert
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Random Numan thought: I’m surprised “Ancients” hasn’t appeared in more film soundtracks and the like. It’s so... big and emotional.

”Words so beautiful, they float like rain drops...”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-voxMj42iHA

There are two other versions aside from the original, right? The “Earlier Version” from the Crazier single and the “Grayed Out Mix”.

roolfdriht
01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I believe there's another alternative version on the Mutate bonus DVD (https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-Hybrid/release/423716). Lovely double-dip Hybrid rerelease to soak the fans... I think I passed when this was new, and now secondary market pricing suggests I shouldn't have. Sigh.

Back on topic - your post prompted me to revisit Hybrid, which really is fantastic. Ancients and Crazier are a couple of my all-time favorite Numan tracks, and the new versions of the older tracks are stellar as well. Unfortunately, I think my reaction to this stuff made it much harder to get into Jagged when that album finally followed. I revisited that as well last night and promptly fell asleep. Anyone else struggle with that one?

01-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Jagged Edge (remix versions/alternate versions) stomps the shit out of Jagged. Jagged was apparently a mess and he delayed it for 3 years and switched producers midway and finally dumped it out after record company execs and fans kept hounding him about the delays etc. I think even he has stated its a weak effort....Jagged Edge came out a year later and was much better. The alternate versions and re-worked versions are much more intense and focused. Thats the definitive version of that album. Plus its 2 discs worth of music

botley
01-10-2019, 01:43 PM
The only thing that chaps me about Hybrid is the use of auto-tune on some tracks, which really doesn't suit his voice. I'm glad he had Ade Fenton produce Jagged instead of the Sulphur team, because (to my knowledge anyway) Fenton never touches that shit.

roolfdriht
01-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Jagged Edge (remix versions/alternate versions) stomps the shit out of Jagged. Jagged was apparently a mess and he delayed it for 3 years and switched producers midway and finally dumped it out after record company execs and fans kept hounding him about the delays etc. I think even he has stated its a weak effort....Jagged Edge came out a year later and was much better. The alternate versions and re-worked versions are much more intense and focused. Thats the definitive version of that album. Plus its 2 discs worth of music

Also in my collection but gathering dust thanks to my "meh" reaction to Jagged. I shall revisit post-haste - thanks!

Erneuert
01-10-2019, 02:34 PM
I believe there's another alternative version on the Mutate bonus DVD (https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-Hybrid/release/423716). Lovely double-dip Hybrid rerelease to soak the fans... I think I passed when this was new, and now secondary market pricing suggests I shouldn't have. Sigh.

Back on topic - your post prompted me to revisit Hybrid, which really is fantastic. Ancients and Crazier are a couple of my all-time favorite Numan tracks, and the new versions of the older tracks are stellar as well. Unfortunately, I think my reaction to this stuff made it much harder to get into Jagged when that album finally followed. I revisited that as well last night and promptly fell asleep. Anyone else struggle with that one?

Yes, the one on Mutate is called “All I Know (Ancients Alternative Version)”. Can anyone confirm if that differs from “Ancients (Earlier Version)”?

roolfdriht
01-10-2019, 02:53 PM
The discogs listing suggests All I Know is ~2 minutes shorter, so quite possible it's a different version. However, confirmation from someone who's actually listened to both would definitely be appreciated. A quick scan suggests the former isn't on YouTube for easy comparison.

Another random Numan thought while I'm at it - the myriad US releases of the live albums with different covers and names vs. the UK originals is pretty aggravating. Trying to identify legitimate holes in my collection is nigh impossible, especially with a number of late 1990s CD purchases in storage hundreds of miles away. Curse my spotty memory...

botley
01-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Yes, the one on Mutate is called “All I Know (Ancients Alternative Version)”. Can anyone confirm if that differs from “Ancients (Earlier Version)”?
Yes, it's a lot different, including alternate lyrics. So there are four studio versions: the Hybrid LP one, the two "Crazier" B-sides, and "All I Know". He also performed it live a few times in that period.

01-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Speaking of Fenton. One album that slipped under the radar is Fentons 2007 album 'Artificial Perfect'....Numan sings on 4 of the 9 songs on the album, so its basically like a Gary Numan solo EP. The songs are awesome. Real NIN 'PHM' sounding with Numan on vox

Erneuert
01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Speaking of Fenton. One album that slipped under the radar is Fentons 2007 album 'Artificial Perfect'....Numan sings on 4 of the 9 songs on the album, so its basically like a Gary Numan solo EP. The songs are awesome. Real NIN 'PHM' sounding with Numan on vox

Numan performed “The Leather Sea” live from that a few times as well. Maybe “Healing” also. Creepy as hell music video for “Healing”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIVImVhVoDY

Fun fact: during that time, an interviewer said to Fenton/Numan, “So, your new single, The Leather Sofa...”

I mentioned that to Ade in person once and he laughed being reminded of it. “What a tosser” were his exact words, I think.

Erneuert
01-10-2019, 05:36 PM
On the topic of Artifical Perfect, there is an extended version available of “One Day” as well. Love that song.

Slide Away and Recall, the other two songs with Numan on vox, are also brilliant. Can’t go wrong with that record. Ade really needs to release another.

REPLICA
01-24-2019, 11:17 PM
Oh damn! It's official and on Amazon! Beggars Arkive of I, Assassin on dark green vinyl!

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MF42ZJX?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=2VKAN4CGN3A3NKAA05NF

eversonpoe
01-28-2019, 10:15 PM
^ i still have mixed feelings about that album. it's really the drum programming that kills me. i love the bass, synths, and vocals, and the songs in general. but there's something about the sounds of the drum programming that just pull me out of the music. :/

Substance242
02-10-2019, 10:24 AM
So glad Gary mentioned not only The Downward Spiral, but also my beloved Songs of Faith and Devotion (Depeche Mode) as albums that helped him reinvent himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAA-lgvbO_M

(sorry if mentioned before)

And I still listen to complete Savage + EP at least once a week and just loving it, it still hits me so deep. Strange thing is I don't seek very much his previous stuff... this is just so good and I need nothing more. :-)

02-19-2019, 11:58 AM
I have every Numan album/EP/ and a bunch of his live stuff from 1977 through the I, Assassin album. Then from 1994s Sacrifice to now...Theres a 10 year window from Warriors to that piece of shit Machine/Soul album from 1992 where I do not own any of those albums. I know Numan hates that era as well.....Most of the albums in that era I have never bothered to listen to outside of a song here or there (and did not like what I heard)...My question is, are ANY of those albums redeemable? Or is it all dance pop with backup singers? I heard Metal Rhythm was decent, but thats about it...

Erneuert
02-19-2019, 05:39 PM
I have every Numan album/EP/ and a bunch of his live stuff from 1977 through the I, Assassin album. Then from 1994s Sacrifice to now...Theres a 10 year window from Warriors to that piece of shit Machine/Soul album from 1992 where I do not own any of those albums. I know Numan hates that era as well.....Most of the albums in that era I have never bothered to listen to outside of a song here or there (and did not like what I heard)...My question is, are ANY of those albums redeemable? Or is it all dance pop with backup singers? I heard Metal Rhythm was decent, but thats about it...

“Time To Die” (inspired by Blade Runner) and “I Wonder” are both great songs IMO.

Erneuert
03-21-2019, 11:33 PM
Excited, and relieved, to be able to announce that the Making Music campaign for the new album will launch tomorrow (Friday, March 22nd) at midday UK time.

The campaign will give you the option of watching, via regular updates, the making of the new album from the very beginning to the very end. If you just want to watch as it progresses, that’s fine. If you like what you hear along the way, or sooner, and you want to pre-order the album you can do that as well. If you want to buy any of the other items that are available you can also do that but, if you are interested in those, it would make sense to get in quickly. Most of the items available are single items, the white label test pressings for example (not all but most), the acetates, musical equipment used in the studio and on tours, clothes and more. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

We did this before with Savage and your participation, through those pre-orders, was a big factor in getting that album to Number 2 in the UK chart, and for the success of the album overall. You really did make a huge difference. I’m hoping we can do something similar with this campaign, and this album.

So tomorrow, Friday, March 22, midday.

The address is: https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es

https://garynuman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/GN-Website-MM-1-With-URLRGB.jpg

botley
03-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Making Music pre-order section of the site (https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es) is now live.

In addition to the new album, I ordered the original track sheet for "White Boys and Heroes" from the I, Assassin sessions (this would be the engineer's documentation of what elements were on the multi-track tapes). There appears to be another recording on the same sheet, with a title I've never seen before, "R Box One". No idea what that is. Exciting! Too bad I won't have it in my hands until... gulp... 2020.

While acquiring this holy relic would be enough for some, I also wanted to get an original white label test pressing/master acetate... but they're just too expensive for me to afford right now. Especially the classic-era ones, holy shit!! $926 for white labels of Telekon or Dance.

03-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Gave another run through some of Gary's mid to late 80s work. Outside of a few shitty pop friendly songs here and there, there is a lot of good stuff on those records. I forgot how good Strange Charm was. Sacrifice in 94 is when he fully embraced the darkwave and industrial tones but he was flirting with those sounds as far back as Strange Charm and Berserker. I think the dude was just conflicted during that era. Part of him wanted to do edgy stuff and the other part of him wanted to be a pop star. I find Numans mid 80s albums a lot more redeemable than Bowies mid to late 80s work which borders on unlistenable (Tonight, Never Let Me Down)

Substance242
03-24-2019, 08:07 AM
This is the first time I bought an album when recording hasn't even started yet. :-)

Erneuert
03-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Gave another run through some of Gary's mid to late 80s work. Outside of a few shitty pop friendly songs here and there, there is a lot of good stuff on those records. I forgot how good Strange Charm was. Sacrifice in 94 is when he fully embraced the darkwave and industrial tones but he was flirting with those sounds as far back as Strange Charm and Berserker. I think the dude was just conflicted during that era. Part of him wanted to do edgy stuff and the other part of him wanted to be a pop star. I find Numans mid 80s albums a lot more redeemable than Bowies mid to late 80s work which borders on unlistenable (Tonight, Never Let Me Down)

“No Shelter” from The Fury era was a massive, epic sounding instrumental. That goes back to, what, 1985?

03-25-2019, 11:53 AM
“No Shelter” from The Fury era was a massive, epic sounding instrumental. That goes back to, what, 1985?

Fury was '85....Another underrated album....I think it was one of the bonus tracks on the reissue

Trains
03-26-2019, 02:07 AM
This is the first time I bought an album when recording hasn't even started yet. :-)

Same here! I picked up the signed delux CD. I was considering getting a lyric sheet for Absolution... but, £150 man.

Erneuert
04-04-2019, 02:45 AM
So the early album title name Gary is going with is “Intruder,” according to the first Making Music video.

simonn
04-14-2019, 03:25 AM
Liking the videos so far. Is he overplaying his 'it's all gloom and doom' hand though...? I can't believe an artist like him can';t afford to hire an IT wizard for a day or two to upgrade his IT system...!! Or couldn't he get on the blower to Trent and ask him for a moody copy of the latest Pro Tools...

botley
04-14-2019, 07:30 AM
Liking the videos so far. Is he overplaying his 'it's all gloom and doom' hand though...? I can't believe an artist like him can';t afford to hire an IT wizard for a day or two to upgrade his IT system...!! Or couldn't he get on the blower to Trent and ask him for a moody copy of the latest Pro Tools...
Gary would probably rather go through the struggle himself; if he runs into something he can't solve on his own, he'll call up someone who can... but from what I gather, he is someone who prefers to have hands-on involvement with all the technical aspects of making his music. It's kind of his hallmark, going back to the very first albums when he was just starting out, and demanded they try all sorts of weird mixing choices the engineers were extremely leery about. If this is what he needs to do to feel comfortable while experimenting and writing in his studio, so be it.

WorzelG
04-15-2019, 01:02 PM
So I bought the Deluxe CD edition with the pass and everything else. I’m probably going to go to see him in Cardiff and the London Roundhouse (although a bit miffed to find the Roundhouse suddenly has set seats rather than unreserved seating, as I bought them at a different time to the others in my group I’m sat on my own!)

simonn
04-19-2019, 02:22 AM
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/57226304_966358753553984_9063460504525078528_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=1f70ba1ff160e63bcda2e990a8d18b60&oe=5D48A438

Grabbed this pic from the latest Making Music video - for anyone wondering what's going on, he's doing an unboxing of his new kit for the studio...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=966358746887318&set=gm.10156927514086183&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Erneuert
04-19-2019, 02:56 AM
I posted a couple of screen grabs here:

https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/5354-NIN-Spotting-2019?p=454112#post454112

Substance242
04-20-2019, 06:23 PM
And the thing is this:
https://slatemt.com/raven-mtz/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXMENC7foA

Erneuert
04-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Latest update is very exciting:

Ade has been here since last Thursday. The idea was to record vocals for the new versions of the Sacrifice, Exile and Pure albums that Ade is working on separate to the new Intruder album. However, due to the studio problems, he has so far spent every day in the studio with me working through the various issues to get me up and running again. I can't tell you what a difference it's made having him here. He's pretty much got the whole range of problems sorted out, and so the news is good. The studio upgrade is not finished but it's almost good enough for me to start work again. Waiting for a new computer to arrive today and, with that, I'll be able to start work again in the next day or two. This video is a montage of film clips that show us working on getting the room working, including a dog invasion at one point.

Demogorgon
04-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Waaaaaaaait wait wait. New versions/new vocals for Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure? Those are my 3 favorite albums from the Numan modern era. Here's hoping that they aren't vinyl exclusive.

04-30-2019, 03:13 PM
I just dropped 90 bucks on a factory sealed copy of the totally out of print 1999 reissue of Sacrifice (with the 4 bonus tracks).....Probably my fav Numan album....Not so sure I dig the idea of re-recording it....That would be like Trent re-recording PHM.....Gary wanting to re-record Sacrifice, Exile and Pure is interesting as a novelty concept but it seems kind of odd fucking with albums that are already perfect....What he should really do is re-record some of those 80s albums without the fucking backup singers and put a harder edge on the songs because theres a lot of great shit on those records that got bogged down from glossy production, backup singers and Garys own misdirection....I would like to hear an industrialized version of Strange Charm 2.0 and Beserker 2.0....New Anger 2019 bring it

botley
04-30-2019, 04:03 PM
I like the songs on Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure but there are certain days where I just cannot listen to them. Some of those tracks are very dated-sounding (almost as much as the mid-80s period), and certainly sound quite repetitive and thin compared to what Gary and Ade have achieved working together since then. Sacrifice was basically done in a home demo studio, largely for fun, using drum loops stolen from contemporary Depeche Mode albums. That's certainly a vibe, but again there are some days where it's like nails on a blackboard for me. So... if all goes well, this project could turn out to be a dream come true! Same great songs, only with vastly improved production values. Hooray!

Y'know, Numan fans love to bitch about the excessive use of slap bass, saxophone, and other singers' voices on his 80s-era records. Yes, those are dated-sounding arrangements, but to me, they still meet the professional audio standard of properly-made studio recordings... so I don't have as much of a problem with those. The 90s-vintage stuff is remarkable in its own way, but the cheap-sounding loops and poorly recorded instruments and vocals are what bring them down, in my estimation. I have hope that Ade's work can fix that.

Erneuert
04-30-2019, 08:03 PM
When he signed my Sacrifice vinyl a few years back, he mentioned that he wanted to re-release it with better production as he intended it to sound originally, less muddy. It seems like he’s taken that idea and expanded upon it.

@botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) - and a lot of the sounds are also used on The Radial Pair soundtrack.

Kulerage
04-30-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm with some of you guys on Sacrifice having pretty sub-par production for Numan standards, although I love it all the same. Be very cool to finally see this album fleshed out more.

Erneuert
05-02-2019, 04:58 AM
Are those words from an actual song on the cheat sheets up to buy? -

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=41839&cur=GBP

botley
05-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Are those words from an actual song on the cheat sheets up to buy? -

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=41839&cur=GBP

Um, no. It's one of those typeface sample text-things, purely to show off "y" and "q" and other weird seldom-used letters look on the page.

Erneuert
05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
I thought I was going crazy for a second there.

Erneuert
05-15-2019, 03:50 AM
In the latest update GN says he will be re-recording the vocals for Sacrifice and Pure this week sometime, and plays the rough version of a track currently titled “Aeon” (or “Aon?) as that was the name of the recording software used to first lay down the track:

https://garynumanmm.tmstor.es/?page=blog&blog_id=71#b71

Erneuert
05-28-2019, 10:35 PM
Nice little article about the Sacrifice album:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/lost-albums-gary-numan-sacrifice/

Substance242
05-31-2019, 10:22 AM
13 older songs were dropped on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GaryNumanOfficial/videos

As much as I love Savage, I've never searched for the older stuff, so this is mostly new to me, and "Rip" is perfect!

Also I was surprised to find out that Numan is skilled acrobat pilot.

rampface
06-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Am I the only person who enjoys the Dance, I, Assassin and Warriors eras?

botley
06-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Hell no, brah, check out my avatar!

Warriors isn't one I've spun lately, though I really like the title track and "Sister Surprise". I wish there had been an official recording from The Fury tour! "Call Out the Dogs" still slaps hard (as the Machine Music Live album/DVD proves).

06-03-2019, 11:47 AM

Theres a lot of cool stuff to be found in his early/mid 80s era. Strange Charm is the most underrated of them all...

REPLICA
06-14-2019, 08:13 PM
I finally got in on the upcoming album pre-order. Since the picture disc and the colored signed editions were sold out, I went with the standard black signed edition. I've been enjoying the updates provided. I really want that white label I, Assassin or Dance but I don't have near $800/$930 laying around... Thought about saving up for A Question of Faith white label 7" or a written copy of My Breathing lyrics.

I recently picked up two copies of the I Die: You Die single from the Netherlands. 1 Green copy and 1 Blue copy! I'm very happy with that!

REPLICA
06-14-2019, 08:16 PM

Those albums had a lot of great songs. Crash, War Songs, Sister Surprise. I, Assassin is my favorite of the bunch and I actually tried to replicate (yep) that image when I was going to my senior prom in 2007.

Shadaloo
06-14-2019, 10:11 PM
I'll go to bat for most of Berserker any day of the week, just sayin'.

Erneuert
06-19-2019, 06:03 AM
The new audio update sounds really good.

Posted on 19/06/2019 by Gary Numan Making Music
The song I've been working on for a while now, and played you a little of last time, now has a verse vocal. It's rough, but definitely good enough to give you an idea. The lyrics are close but might have some small changes before it's finished. Tomorrow I'll be working on the chorus melody and, if I can get that worked out, the chorus lyric. Hopefully, if I have a good day, that will all be done by the evening which will make this one ready to send to Ade. The working title for this so far has been Aeon but this is likely to be the album title track, so I'll call it Intruder. I'm just playing the first two verses here and stopping it before it gets to the chorus section. I've also cut out most of the intro for the time being, although you heard that on the last update I think. If you listen to this on anything that doesn't have good low end it will probably sound shit. The power in this comes from the weight of the low end. In my studio it's floor rumbling heavy, and that's where it works. This may be something that always sounds better and more powerful live, unless you have a good system to listen at home. Anyway, that's all the excuses I can think of :)

Erneuert
07-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Bunch of merchandise and music on sale for reduced prices -

https://garynuman.tmstor.es/index.php?page=products&section=Sale

botley
07-13-2019, 06:10 AM
While we wait for more new album updates, let's talk about the old shit some more. I'd like to quickly take a minute to review ALL of Numan's albums, because there's a tour coming up where he's said he'll try to play something from each one!

The two Tubeway Army LPs (self-titled debut & Replicas) are an odd pairing. Gary was just writing punk songs, purely to get a record deal and launch his teenage ambitions with Paul Gardiner (https://samemistakesmusic.blogspot.com/2009/02/tubeway-days-paul-gardiner.html) and a rotating cast of drummers/backing guitarists, and then Gary's discovery of Moog synthesizers changed absolutely everything right away. I like the punky stuff (even The Plan anthology of TA demos) for its quirky pimply weirdness, but "Jo the Waiter" especially points a clear way forward from the first: an acoustic ballad about gender-swapping, with pulsating synths... this was divine to hear as an encore on the recent throwback shows. Things get very dark indeed with Replicas, as heavy sci-fi influences came out in the lyrics, and those dreamy washes of synth overdubs improved the sound considerably. I think all the tracks on this second album are good, and it's clearly a touchstone for Gary as well; he routinely cites "Down in the Park" as being his favourite song he ever wrote. Amazing cover imagery, too: with a Grey overcoat man in the Park outside, a nightmarish robotic "Friend in the hallway" under the title text, and the reverse cover's "Replica" eye with horizontal pupils.

Rather than tour for either album, though, Gary kept going straight back into the studio to capitalize on his rapidly-ascending chart popularity, with new band members, for a provisional follow-up record as Tubeway Army. Those demo sessions (some ended up on The Pleasure Principle 30th Anniversary deluxe CDs) were happening just as they appeared on Top of the Pops, with "Are 'Friends' Electric?" going to number one and Gary's career exploding into celebrity. Gary convinced the record company he needed to go solo instead of hanging on to the use of the band name, as it was already him singing, writing, designing, and producing everything on the records anyhow (with special thanks to his band members for their brilliant arrangements). He was right, and would soon take on stage-costume and set/lighting design responsibilities too, with the Replicas/spinning pyramid future-images from the covers as his early cue. The Pleasure Principle is eerie and awash in beautiful shiny synths, like Replicas is, but it definitely stands apart with the deliberate and quite clever decision to incorporate violin and viola, courtesy of Billie Currie (from Ultravox!) and Chris Payne, respectively, with no guitars on the album whatsoever. Alternating the sheer, inhuman Polymoog screams with a warmer real-strings texture was an unusual move, and each song sounds amazingly fresh. Americans missed out on almost all of this, because "Cars" was simply too big a hit.

Megatours followed, and more hits, too much celebrity, and a retreat into hobby flying. Gary's 1981 album Dance obviously has the special-est place in my heart, with the amazing entrance of Mick Karn to fill in for Gardiner (who was Gary's best friend from even before Tubeway Army, very sadly killed in the terminal stages of a heroin addiction)... but I want to reiterate that all the songs on the Telekon album (particularly the versions that include "I Die: You Die") are just friggin' wall-to-wall bangers. It has those hard pop-and-locking beats, dark lyrical content, and for melodic intrigue you can't do much better than the title track. Ced Sharpley and Paul were the baddest-ever English rhythm section, for my money, and Telekon was the second and last album where both of them played together. And for as much as I do like the 1980s period that came after that two-shot of dark masterpieces, Telekon is truly the bridge from Pleasure Principle and all that came before it towards Gary's present-day musical era.

His reinventions with the 1930s gangster funk Assassin character in I, Assassin (Gary's use of Pino Palladino on bass pre-dating Hesitation Marks by a full thirty years), and the Road Warrior on Warriors, are basically following on from the theatrical visual style of those earliest days, which he's been returning to recently (half-heartedly, with Splinter's Weird Old American top-hat stylings, then more fully embraced with everyone onstage in desertification survival costumes for Savage). There is a lot more hard funk and jazz influence in this period, which his label Beggars Banquet was no longer interested in promoting, so he started his own — Numa Records. Unfortunately, this coincided with his songwriting taking a turn for the cheesy with Warriors and the icy Kabuki of Berserker. The reliance on sickly-slick, contemporary pop vocal-backups, and increasing use of sax solos when Gary's own melodic ideas run out becomes a more dire problem the further into the mid-80s you go. There are still good songs on all of these records, particularly The Fury with its bracing coldness offset by the weepy pop ballad "Miracles", and the tours were all apparently worthy spectacles... check out The Fury's epic tour staging, with the live band entering on hydraulic lifts at the start of this "Call Out the Dogs" music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1s20BvqW1k

With big budgets going into stage production on these tours, and no major record label support, Numan kept chasing a more mainstream pop sound. Despite somewhat healthy sales from diehard fans, the change in direction had the opposite of the intended effect and Gary's career slid entirely out of mainstream into obscurity. Collaborations with Bill Sharpe and other artists as a co-composer didn't have any appreciable impact, and by the time Strange Charm came out in 1986, he was starting to run out of money and ideas (the cover image is essentially Roy Batty from Blade Runner only with Numan's own bleach-blond hair from 1977 re-grafted on top). Signing with Miles Copeland's IRS Records didn't help, either, and taking creative direction from them proved to be a poisoned chalice. They botched the launch of Metal Rhythm in America, which Numan was hoping to live in again after a brief stint in L.A. around 1982. He wouldn't actually emigrate until over thirty years later (documented in the brilliant film Android in La-La-Land). There is a touch of desperation in the somewhat catchy but over-produced Outland, and by returning to Numa in defeat with the absolutely dire Machine+Soul he was simply at creative rock bottom.

To be continued...

WorzelG
07-13-2019, 07:33 AM
^^^i need to give all of these albums another listen, especially as I’m going to see him in November when he says he’ll do songs from all albums! I have a real soft spot for Berserker as well, love the title track, My Dying Machine and This is New Love particularly

botley
07-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Part two:

After the brutal failure of Machine+Soul killed off his last remaining prospects at traditional chart success, Gary Numan had a complete re-think of his career, and decided to keep releasing music purely for enjoyment. This newfound enthusiasm reinvigorated his songwriting chops, and gradually he began to get more on track with each successive release, and toured extensively once more. The first post-renaissance effort, Sacrifice, bears the marks of a craftsman re-learning his trade after enduring battle weariness and shell-shock. It sounds like a home recording (it was), but the return of anthemic guitar-led choruses meant that much of Numan's fanbase would gradually come back on board as they realized he had found out what he was good at doing all along.

His home production skills advanced a little more with the release of Exile on Eagle Records in the UK, a label who'd see him into the next decade just as various anthologies and re-packagings of old material flooded the market to cash in on people becoming more aware of his work for the first time. This is when the association with NIN and other contemporary rock artists name-checking and covering his tunes became a calling card. With the Pure album in 2000, he really clinched it... catchy singles, good videos, a more straight-up Goth image to appeal to fans of those artists (most of whom were influenced by Numan himself) and the critical reaction was very strong. I like these three albums very much, but in all cases the production relies a bit too much on very basic, repetitive drum grooves, meaning that the music doesn't hold up as well as the human-played stuff from his earliest work. As I've said before, I'm quite excited to hear how they'll sound with new music and vocals, hopefully we'll get to hear that later this year.

After the remix/retrospective project Hybrid, Numan returned with a full-length new LP called Jagged in 2006. Here he partnered for the first time with Ade Fenton (who is helming production on the aforementioned re-recorded albums this year), incorporated live string players again, and even NIN drummer Jerome Dillon played live percussion on several tracks. Its style is a bit more in keeping with the direction Numan and Fenton have pursued as collaborators ever since. I think a few of the songs are a bit too long and same-y, but otherwise it's a very fine album indeed. He toured behind this one quite a lot, and the 2006 Toronto show is where I got to meet him afterwards for the first time! I think the two-disc remix album Jagged Edge is also worth tracking down, there are quite a few excellent alternate versions dating from pre-production sessions with the Sulpher team (who also worked on Pure) as well as some quite fine Fenton/Numan re-imagined versions, including a keyed-up "In a Dark Place" on disc two that's worth the price of admission alone, and has been the template for live versions ever since.

Following the Jagged album, Numan had a bout of writer's block coinciding with a mood disorder, and the 2011 album Dead Son Rising was an attempt to combine unfinished ideas and demos from previous projects with Ade Fenton's co-writing, production and programming techniques, to really invigorate these tracks with new life. In my opinion, it's stellar. They took what could have been an absolute disaster, a drought that would have derailed the steady climb back from oblivion, and made it into one of the best albums of his career. The influence of sci-fi pops up again in his writing, as well as personal relationships (themes mostly absent since the 80s, but which he would return to on the following two albums). Again, there is a great remix album for it called Dead Moon Falling complete with Alessandro Cortini's spellbinding SONOIO remix of "Dead Sun Rising" and a couple of outstanding collaborative tracks at the end, such as this bizarre little tune "Petals" co-written with Officers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCLzr9Bz1Co

NIN's own Robin Finck contributes guitar to a few tracks on Splinter (Songs from a Broken Mind) but the real attraction is the creepy, oppressive atmospheres and widescreen choruses, along with a melodic sophistication that elevates the hard-hitting lyrics into some quite brilliant songs. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's his best-sung album ever, with a masterful command of sliding notes both in those big singalong chorus vocals and the intimate, almost-whispered verses. This absolute mastery continues with the similarly-titled Savage (Songs from a Broken World) but the depth of field is wider, with a dystopian, arid post-Climate Change landscape as the backdrop. Persia, his young daughter, has also been recruited to sing backing with her father on this record and has appeared onstage with him at many shows (in costume and all!). Numan has saved the best so far for last, with The Fallen, a brand-new EP of three new songs tacked on to some digital editions of Savage. I believe it's the culmination of all he's achieved so far and can't wait to see what is in store for us all next.

Erneuert
07-13-2019, 07:56 PM
^ The stuff happening around the Sacrifice era I find really interesting since the ideas seem spread out over several places: “Mission” had been played as a live intro (and featured on Dream Corrosion) before Sacrifice came out. A lot of the drum beats and music is featured on The Radial Pair and (I’m pretty sure) on either The Unborn soundtrack or the Human soundtrack with Michael R. Smith (or both?). Some of the soundscapes on Outland even sound similar. Then there’s this little tidbit taken from Wikipedia:

The album actually started off as a project entitled "Vicious". Various tracks were worked on with, amongst others, previous Machine + Soul (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_%2B_Soul) producer Kipper but Numan wasn't quite happy with the direction, and it was whilst he was considering signing to another label that they suggested he record vocals to a recently released soundtrack for The Radial Pair (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Radial_Pair). Numan did not sign on to the label but instead adopted these tracks along with others which eventually became "Sacrifice" after hearing Depeche Mode (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depeche_Mode) album Songs of Faith and Devotion (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Faith_and_Devotion) and decided this was the musical direction he wanted to take. "Play Like God" and the demo "Metal Beat" were dropped from the album, appearing on later re-releases in 1998 and 1999.

botley
07-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Yes, it's quite similar to Dead Son Rising in that respect; lots of disparate pieces went into it. "Play Like God" is a fun one, you can tell he was really enjoying playing the heavy guitar parts again.

Erneuert
07-15-2019, 06:27 PM
I wonder if there is any correlation between the Vicious and Savage titles.

Erneuert
07-19-2019, 07:20 AM
Gary just posted three new updates to the MM campaign. Just watched the first one, about to watch the second one now. It’s really interesting watching this Intruder song come together.

The second one is called “The End Of Dragons” - a tentative new song title. Perhaps a reference to “The End Of Things” from Savage?

Posted on 15/07/2019 by Gary Numan Making Music

I've filmed a 20 minute update to bring you up to date with where I'm at on Intruder. That's a bit long to upload in one go so I've broken it down into three shorter updates that I'll upload over the next couple of days. Apologies for looking like a startled scarecrow but brushing my hair or even looking in a mirror is not something I do very often when I'm working, or when I'm not working if I'm really honest.

Also, these are the lyrics for the Aeon song, which is now called Intruder. No chorus lyrics here yet as I still haven't worked out how that's going to go musically. These lyrics have already been adapted once but I think I'm happy with them now. I've done a new vocal for it but not entirely happy with that still so I'll probably try it again. I'm dragging the first word of each line slightly so it lacks that rhythmic punch that it needs to work with the groove it sits on top of. I didn't notice at first but on subsequent listening's I began to notice what was wrong with it. I don't have that on these updates actually but when I get back from my next trip and do the new vocal I'll show you the differences between them. It's subtle but it matters.

Intruder (Aeon)

I could listen to you scream
Pretty music to my ears
I could listen to it all day
If you want me to?

I could talk about my world
How you brought about ruin
I could talk about your greed
If you want me to?

I could look into evil
See a heart just like mine
I could throw away reason
If you want me to?

I could walk into darkness
Find the hole you crawled into
I will be the intruder
If you want me to?

I could listen to more lies
About promises you kept
Will you walk on water
Like you said you would?

I could make you my prisoner
But you were dead men talking
When you burned the oceans
Like you said you would

I'm going away now, back on August 20th, so the only progress for the next few weeks will be what I can come up with on my laptop as I'm travelling.

Erneuert
07-19-2019, 09:40 AM
So, in summary:

- Gary’s been asked to do the soundtrack for a big, big-budget film, but he’s waiting to hear back from them, putting him in an anxious position as he doesn’t know how he’ll get everything done if they suddenly approach him about it any time soon. He’s also been approached about another film, though not as big a budget as the first one mentioned.

- Wants to get 4-5 songs finished for the new album by year’s end.

- Sounds like most, if not all, of the vocals have been done for the Sacrifice/Exile/Pure “new” versions with Ade in London.

- The soundscapes and potential film sounds and/or tour intros he previews are a-maz-ing!

- Couldn’t help but laugh when he shows the keyboard with all black keys. He first saw it and thought it was “sexy as fuck,” then it became a nightmare to use in the studio because it’s dark, and it’s just like staring at a black void, not being able to hit the right keys. Apparently he’s going to replace it lol.

botley
08-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Just re-watched the excellent Reinvention DVD documentary about Gary's career. It's a fascinating glimpse at all the highlights (and lowlights) from an interior perspective. It prompted me to think about Gary's live bands (of which there have been many) over the years.

The original Living Ornaments '79/'80 live band included members from the early television and radio appearances billed as Tubeway Army (including Gary's bass maestro Paul Gardiner and also the tremendous drummer Ced Sharpley, both of whom were heroically talented and supportive of Numan's sound in those early fame days). They also included Chris Payne, who along with RRussell [sic] Bell formed the multi-instrumentalist backbone of the band Dramatis that spun-off on its own (releasing one very good LP, For Future Reference, with Numan providing guest vocals on one track) after playing for Gary at Wembley Arena in '81, his final three UK performances for years. Their primary keyboard player Denis Haynes took the seat in Numan's band left by Billy Currie (vacating early 1980 when he re-joined Ultravox), which was also filled in the Teletour era by Roger Mason.

Mason along with a batch of other British players came over from the UK when Numan rehearsed in Los Angeles mid-1982 (in tax exile) for a relatively low-profile I, Assassin North American tour. This was a big change in lineup, with the awesome Pino Palladino holding down the funk basis of Gary's post-Dance fretless bass grooves. While there is some tantalizing footage of this band on the Reinvention DVD (I wish there was more included as a bonus feature!), an official full-length release from the tour has sadly never happened. Unfortunately, great as his explosive sound was, the alliance with drummer Chris Slade disintegrated in personal acrimony (he'd go on to play with AC/DC, which seemed more fitting to his temperament). Gary's own brother John Webb joined as well and would stay for years, later going on to record music on his own today under the alias Donovan Silver. A guitar player from the band Japan, Rob Dean, rounded out the tour lineup, with everyone decked out in shimmering-white 1930s gangster duds. When Numan returned to the UK in 1983, most of Dramatis returned to backing him up, with the addition of funky slap bass player Joe Hubbard. I don't think this lineup ever gelled, despite basically remaining intact for the following few years (except for new bassists and backing vocalists).

In 1987, the lineup shifted again with Ced being replaced by Greg Brimstone on drums. By this point, Numan had had gone from having one dedicated backing vocalist, Karen Taylor on the Berserker tour (documented on the White Noise live album and subsequently 2008's archival Cold Warning DVD), to two with the addition of Kit Rolfe for The Fury tour. Andy Coughlan played bass in this period. Both of the backing singers on the 1987 Exhibition tour were sisters, Emma and Valerie Chalmers. This lineup was recorded for the Ghost live album, which had Brimstone and Nick Davis on bass. For the Metal Rhythm tour in 1988, Sharpley and Coughlan came back but John Webb did not, with keyboardist Ade Orange joining the lineup for the first time. While Payne was still in this role, after 1993 for almost fifteen years Orange would become Numan's primary live multi-instrumentalist. New backing vocalists Cathi Ogden and Diana Wood joined for a short 1989 tour, documented as a live video originally called The Skin Mechanic and reissued under various dodgy names on budget labels.

With Numan's career on life support, the band significantly shrunk and only Sharpley retained from the original lineup in 1991. Even I lose track of this period, it's not well documented with live audio and video, but John Webb switched to playing bass, and studio musicians Mike Smith and Keith Beauvais played keyboards and guitar, respectively. Jackie Rawe sang backup in 1991 Susie Webb in 1992, and TJ Davies in 1993. The guitarist Kipper replaced Beauvais on record and stage at this point, with Ced Sharpley finally departing to be replaced by the undeniably great Richard Beasley, who has consistently performed with Numan on nearly every subsequent tour up to this day. Their firey show at London's Hammersmith Apollo was documented on Dream Corrosion, with a setlist drawn from more deep cuts in Gary's catalogue. He dropped the backing vocalists altogether on the Sacrifice tour, which was brilliantly documented on the album Dark Light.

In 1996, Numan's career was on an upswing again and he hired keyboardist David Brooks, who would become another mainstay, and guitarist Steve Harris who is also still touring with Numan to the present day. This group stayed in place for years, with many live albums documenting their shows, and only occasional changes in performing lineup with Rob Holliday joining as an additional bassist/guitarist in 2003-2006. Chris McCormack would also take over guitar for Harris for a few years. It was with the 2007 Jagged shows that Ade Orange and Rob Holliday left the band, to be replaced by Numan's current co-producer Ade Fenton and current bassist Tim Muddiman. Other players have temporarily filled in from time to time, including the keyboardists Gareth Thomas, Josh Giroux, and Presley, Frank Zummo on drums, Mark Thwaite on guitar, and Marc Sallis and Tim Slade on bass, but the lineup has been fairly stable otherwise. Numan reports having a very close relationship with his band again and this has led to him enjoying his more extensive world tours in recent years. Members of the original band have also dropped in and guested on the occasional song during retrospective-focused shows, which is always a rare treat. And, of course, backing vocals have come back once again in the form of Persia Numan guesting on stage for "My Name Is Ruin".

Can't wait to see what's in store for the (R)Evolution 40th anniversary tour coming up in the fall! Some never-before-played stuff would be quite exciting, and from the sound of it, rehearsals will begin very soon once the Numan family returns from summer holidays.

Erneuert
08-19-2019, 09:47 AM
I hope the next update gives us info about the Sacrifice, Exile and Pure new versions. Honestly more excited about those and “Intruder” than the new Tool record.

botley
08-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Beggars' Arkive is releasing a pair of two-disc sets (https://www.facebook.com/BeggarsArchive/videos/433409167261197/) (both available in 2xCD format and also as 2xLP colour vinyl flavours) of all the demos/early recordings that survive from the Replicas & Pleasure Principle sessions in 1979, with the old BBC live sessions on John Peel's radio show thrown in as well. This is the first time they've compiled all of these non-album cuts from that landmark year in Gary's career as standalone packages.

Having already bit the bullet on Replicas Redux (the limited 3xCD version from eleven years ago), and the Complete John Peel Sessions CD from 2007, I've got most of these already... but there are a few tracks on The Pleasure Principle - First Recordings CDs that are truly new. I don't feel bad about buying it either, because I never double-dipped on the 30th Anniversary CD back in '09... so that's another day-one pre-order from me on Townsend Music! Glad this is going to be out there in time for the tour as well. They're cutting it pretty close to have the new editions of Sacrifice/Exile/Pure ready in time too.

REPLICA
08-22-2019, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty hype for the prospect of new editions of Sacrifice, Exile, and Pure. When (if) they're released, I'll probably pick up two of each.

Brando
08-22-2019, 03:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLfCM770ai8&NR=1
Is there a proper live Version of replicas from the early 80s like this?

botley
08-24-2019, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLfCM770ai8&NR=1
Is there a proper live Version of replicas from the early 80s like this?
Yes, in fact, there is!

Get the album Engineers from the 1980 Australian shows. It was dropped from his set (for 14 years!) soon after those gigs... don't know if there is any video from those.

Brando
08-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Ah, ok, thank you. But that one is hard to get. Only torrent:(

botley
08-25-2019, 06:28 PM
€10 used copies on Discogs: Gary Numan - Engineers (https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-Engineers/release/1255390)

imail724
09-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Replicas: The First Recordings (2xLP - Sage Green Vinyl) (https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gary-numan-replicas-the-first-recordings-2xlp-sage-green-vinyl)

The Pleasure Principle: The First Recordings (2xLP - Orange Vinyl) (https://www.fatbeats.com/products/gary-numan-the-pleasure-principle-the-first-recordings-2xlp-orange-vinyl)

Erneuert
09-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Posted on 09/09/2019 by Gary Numan Making Music

Bringing you up to date with the latest progress on the album before I leave again for the (R)evolution tour tomorrow. The video is about 16 minutes long and covers everything that's happened since the summer break. These are the final lyrics to Intruder and The End Of Dragons.

Intruder

I could listen to you scream

Pretty music to my ears

I could listen to it all day

If you want me to?

I could talk about my world

How you brought about ruin

I could talk about your greed

If you want me to?

I could look into evil

See a heart just like mine

I could throw away reason

If you want me to?

I could walk into darkness

Find the hole you crawled in to

I will be the intruder

If you want me to?

You can whisper your Lord’s Prayer

And pretend that it matters

But don’t you wish you’d just listened more?

You can hide in the shadows

And pretend I won’t find you

I could listen to more lies

About promises you kept

Will you walk on water

Like you said you would?

I could make you my prisoner

But you were dead men talking

When you burned the oceans.

Like you said you would

You can beg for God’s mercy

And pretend that He hears you

You can drown in your sorrow

And pretend you were helpless

This was always your one life

I won’t pretend that it matters

This was always your one home

I won’t pretend that I’ll miss you

The End Of Dragons

Sometimes, when I’m sleeping, I can hear your song

Sometimes, when I’m dreaming, I forget that you’re gone

Now when the wind cries, I remember you

Now as the world dies, I remember you

Sometimes, in the silence, I can hear you scream

Sometimes, in the darkness, we are not what we seem

Now when the rain falls, I remember you

Now as the end calls, I remember you

Broken, the hearts of them all, at the end

Broken, the beauty and grace, now long gone

Broken, the heart of the world, at the end