PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock (BBC)

sheepdean
12-20-2011, 09:11 PM
The second season (again a mere 3 episodes) starts on New Year's day domestically, and will be torrented by most people worldwide a couple of hours later.

Thoughts on the first season? I'm a huge fan of the books and of Jeremy Brett's wonderful performance, so I approached it expecting a total ruining of what I loved, and was instead greeted with probably the best television I've seen in a long time.

orestes
12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Short season but look how long the episodes are. Season two will air in the US in early January so we don't have too long to wait.

jmtd
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Thoughts on the first season? I'm a huge fan of the books and of Jeremy Brett's wonderful performance, so I approached it expecting a total ruining of what I loved, and was instead greeted with probably the best television I've seen in a long time.

I didn't catch the first season until mid way through this year. Before I did, I read that Moffat was being distracted from Who by Sherlock, and that narked me (I've been enjoying the new Who).

Then I watched Sherlock and I've gone a total 180, and wish he'd leave Who alone and focus more on Sherlock!

kitz
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
The first season was mindblowing!! I loved every episode.

Jadezuki
12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Short season but look how long the episodes are. Season two will air in the US in early January so we don't have too long to wait.

'Fraid not. Sherlock is part of Masterpiece Mystery in the US, whose season doesn't start 'til May. It's in the UK that it's airing in January.

orestes
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Dammit! Looks like I'll be torrenting.

sheepdean
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree the length does help - feature length episodes are normally reserved solely for period dramas in the UK, so it's nice to get them for something modern. I just wish they made more!

And anyone who got the DVD/torrent of season one, did you watch the pilot version of episode 1? It was only 60 minutes, and I think you can tell the pacing of Sherlock stories, both modern and old, requires more than a brief blip.

eversonpoe
12-24-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JnzH5vMFNac

sheepdean
01-02-2012, 04:56 AM
New episode was on last night, thoughts? And remember to use the spoiler tag for people who haven't seen it yet.

Alexandros
01-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Great first season. They've done a great job transferring the story to the 21st century. Looking forward to the next three movies!

theimage13
01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
"A mere three episodes"?

Those three episodes have a longer running time than twelve "half hour" shows here in the states. It's more like three movies. I'll take it - I just wish they didn't air three weeks in a row - a staggered release over a few months would be a lot better. I don't need four and a half hours of Sherlock in three weeks, then nothing for another year+.

sheepdean
01-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Emotional overload

miss k bee
01-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Huummph that ending anyways its coming back

sheepdean
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
It was going to come back anyway, if you've read the books you know it wasn't the end

theimage13
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
MOFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Can't say the ending surprised me, but given my relative unfamiliarity with the original novels, shorts, etc, I'm at a loss to explain it. So I'll take it.

sheepdean
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
I have an idea how he did it (in the original it was off a waterfall, so not like that) - he gets Molly to either give him a cadaver or fake his autopsy for him, telling her everything that's happened. Making her the most important person in his escape, which the character deserved.

Endlessly
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Hell yes, third series confirmed! As much as I knew it was coming, that ending still hit hard.

(Also, great job there, Mycroft, not telling John the main rule of The Diogenes Club when you invited/kidnapped him over.)

theimage13
01-16-2012, 06:39 AM
I have an idea how he did it (in the original it was off a waterfall, so not like that) - he gets Molly to either give him a cadaver or fake his autopsy for him, telling her everything that's happened. Making her the most important person in his escape, which the character deserved.

He did say he needed her...

I have to wonder if John getting nailed by that cyclist was part of the design, too - he was out for just a bit; long enough for Holmes to pull off some form or another of trickery.

jmtd
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Finally finished watching. Jesus Christ. How long will I have to wait now? :(

theimage13
01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Until at least Summer 2013 - probably longer. Both leads are already working on other commitments.

miss k bee
01-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Could be back by the end of the year as they have filmed some scenes for series 3 inc an explaination of how Holmes faked his death.

Jadezuki
01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Sue Vertue (Moffat's wife and co-producer or something like that) has said flat-out it will probably not be on by the end of the year.

theimage13
01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

http://r-brook.co.uk/

Send him an email. I'm getting the same tingle I got from Year Zero. This could be the start of something great...

As for the third season, this ran in the Guardian on Friday:

"But Moffat refused to explain precisely how Sherlock survived. That would be an elementary error for a writer who loves teasing audiences. 'It's not a cheat. We've worked it out. It all makes sense.' A third series will be screened, hopefully before the year's out, he said."

icklekitty
01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm catching up on the show now. The narrative is great and I LOVE this emotionally distant interpretation of Sherlock. When it comes to the little details, I'm equally enthralled (e.g. the race through the back streets of Soho in the first episode) and disenchanted (at the start of ep2, Watson is in an Asda - a Walmart supermarket. But there are no Asdas anywhere near Baker Street. Lots of Tescos - Fresh & Easys - though). The London geek in me sees this as a test.

Vertigo
01-22-2012, 06:22 PM
At the start of ep2, Watson is in an Asda - a Walmart supermarket. But there are no Asdas anywhere near Baker Street. Lots of Tescos - Fresh & Easys - though.

Tesco doesn't approve their likeness for use by the forces of good. I'm sure they'll pop up in a future Transformers film or despotic propaganda.

Endlessly
01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

http://r-brook.co.uk/

Send him an email. I'm getting the same tingle I got from Year Zero. This could be the start of something great...

Read the disclaimer-- it's a fan-created site.
I have heard of people sending an email to that address (it's onscreen during The Reichenbach Fall, in "Richard Brook"'s portfolio) and getting an auto-response that he's away indefinitely, but to contact that journalist character instead. I'm not sure if that happened before or after the site went up, though. Makes me wonder what a real ARG based around the show could be like.

theimage13
01-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Well, balls. On a 24" monitor, that disclaimer never even presented itself until I knew to look for it.

miss k bee
01-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Yep read that this morning

Jadezuki
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Just a reminder: I know the world doesn't revolve around the US, but that second season won't be broadcast until May. Since there's only three eps a season, and spoilers this season are sort of huge, let's try to keep them under our awesome new tags, okie?

theimage13
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Anyone here in the US of A ever order from Amazon.co.uk? I want to get the Season 2 blu-ray for my mom for her birthday later this month, and it's listed as region free...but how's the ordering? Easy peasy?

icklekitty
02-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Amazon.co.uk works exactly like amazon.com. The parcel just comes from somewhere else.

orestes
05-06-2012, 09:01 PM
So, if you haven't watched it already (coughs), series two starts on PBS tonight.

Endlessly
05-06-2012, 10:41 PM
It was cut down at least a little in PBS's airing-- not sure about the rest, but some of the jokes from that first half-hour were definitely missing. Oh well.

orestes
05-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Which is precisely why I watched the BBC version instead.

theimage13
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Same reason I download the BBC Dr. Who rips (that, and so I can watch it a couple hours earlier. It's like having my own TARDIS.)

Dra508
05-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Watched Hounds of The Baskerville. I do like these characters in their 21 st century form.

Bluegirl
05-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Were they implying, in the past two episodes, that Sherlock can SEE molecules under a microscope? I hope I misinterpreted that.

Reznor2112
05-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Old news, but news on Series 3

http://screenrant.com/sherlock-season-3-premiere-spoilers-fall-2013/

theimage13
01-02-2014, 05:18 PM
So....anyone watch the new episode yet? Probably checking it out tonight.

orestes
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Yes, I watched it yesterday and it was so meta in the best way possible. The episode took longer than normal to watch because I kept pausing and rewatching scenes. I don't think this will be the tone of this season but with a two-year plus hiatus, I thought the show was reintroduced rather well.

Vertigo
01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I keep putting off watching the new episode, I hate the format. 90 minutes is FAR too long for a TV episode, even if we're talking about the very best of the medium like The Sopranos. Which Sherlock is not. Would be much more excited for it if the eps were half the length and double the quantity.

theimage13
01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I keep putting off watching the new episode, I hate the format. 90 minutes is FAR too long for a TV episode, even if we're talking about the very best of the medium like The Sopranos. Which Sherlock is not. Would be much more excited for it if the eps were half the length and double the quantity.

Eh...so pause it and watch the other half later.

Ironically, I hate movies. I can never sit through them. But Sherlock? When I first found out about it, I did the first series in two sittings and then watched each new episode straight through as they came out.

With this episode...I felt that the writing spent way too much time addressing fan fiction. I appreciate the occasional nod to acknowledge that you're reading what the fans are saying, but it seemed like there was way too much pandering to the scores of Tumblr teens who squee over every breath that Benedict Cumberbatch takes. Here's hoping for more from the actual writing staff for the next two episodes.

Vertigo
01-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you should take your own advice, translated to movies. :P

Finally got round to watching the episode; it was pretty damn funny, and very well shot. But given the length, I did spend a lot of it on my mobile.

sheepdean
01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I just can't enjoy it as much knowing that Elementary have done it so much better. Also, there's a lot of REAL ghost stations out there, why rip off V for Vendetta and​ make up a station.

theimage13
01-04-2014, 06:09 AM
Just saw this, and it's kind of hilarious. Troll of the year award?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqMiM1MBf4

sheepdean
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Well that was awful

orestes
01-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Well, we got to see Drunk Sherlock so there's that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's only one more episode left this season, right?

sheepdean
01-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Yup, then probably another year at least until the next

icklekitty
01-06-2014, 06:24 AM
They're more a collection of films

theimage13
01-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Yeah, with Moffat having this other little show to work on and Benedict Cumberbatch being a slightly popular actor, I'd say it'll be a bit before the next series. IF there is one, that is. I thought I read a while back that the third would potentially be the last, but that could be old and irrelevant news at this point.

orestes
01-06-2014, 09:38 AM
No, season four has already been confirmed.

Vertigo
01-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Well, I loved it, but sitting in a XXL novelty Jurassic Park t-shirt with a recently acquired stain on it, it is possible that I'm Comic Book Guy.

theimage13
01-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Well that was awful

I don't think I'd call it awful, but it may be my least favorite so far. There was some great writing and good scenes, but it felt like it jumped around too much. And it seemed a little too easy in some spots - I remember seeing the wedding photographer something like halfway through the episode and already going "oh...well, that's obvious".

miss k bee
01-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I think it is getting a little too much style over substance. I liked the last season as it was quite dark, this season not so much. Needless to say Sherlock fans are working themselves up into a frenzy about this season.

I liked Jeremy Brett!

Edo
01-10-2014, 01:42 AM
According to early reviews, upcoming third episode seems to be quite dark. And good. http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/28799/sherlock-his-last-vow-spoiler-free-review

theimage13
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
The spoiler-free summary that I heard for the end of this season is "more heartbreaking and a bigger cliffhanger than Season 2".

Well...aside from me missing Moriarty, I wouldn't have called the end of two a heartbreaker because we all knew that Sherlock wasn't dead. But man oh man, the part of me that feels like this season has been nothing but giddy scenes to appease the teens of Tumblr is happy to hear that there may be dark times ahead.

Also, production has noted that seasons four and five have already been laid out. That doesn't mean that Season 5 has been confirmed, but it's nice to know that they're writing it as though it will happen.

orestes
01-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Sooooo Moriarty is coming back for season four.

Also, lol at everyone on tumblr who was heartbroken over the end of last week's episode; i.e. Sherlock and the bride's maid.

icklekitty
01-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Oh what the "Sherlock has a girlfriend?!?! How dare he! He's meant to be a loner and difficult and ***I'm the only one that can change him***"

sheepdean
01-13-2014, 08:37 AM
So:
Why did no one try to kill that dude before? The man had no protection, no assurances to keep people from just ending him? If he's controlling your life, why was it only now someone tried to end him?
Really annoyed they used the fan-created "full name" for Sherlock because THAT'S NOT HIS CANON NAME
This was meant to be creepy/scary. It wasn't. Gatiss wrote for fucking League Of Gentleman, he is fully aware how to do creepy and he failed big time
I felt they wrapped up the John/Mary argument fast just to slip in ~deus ex moriarty~ faster.

Also, the first episode of this season was 5/11, second was summery and third was xmas. Was there really a year over this whole season or did the writers just get lost? And why did Magnussen then wait a year to do anything to Holmes after clearly antagonising him?

orestes
01-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Oh what the "Sherlock has a girlfriend?!?! How dare he! He's meant to be a loner and difficult and ***I'm the only one that can change him***"

Pretty much. Lots of empathetic posts about how lonely Sherlock is and how he lucked out with Janine.

miss k bee
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Annoyed that they just decided not to find out more about 'Mary' and just make up.

Reznor2112
01-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Series 3 Blu-Ray/DVD will be released February 11, 2013.

theimage13
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
In contrast to some others' opinions, I thought that was a respectfully creepy episode - at least, in regard to the way Magnuson treated Smallwood and Watson. Over the top villainous doesn't often do it for me, since that puts me in a state of suspended disbelief. But his actions towards others - especially all the licking and flicking - is something that any person in real life would easily be capable of if their soul truly was dark enough, and that's what creeps me the fuck out.

I was so happy to see Andrew Scott back in that padded room scene. So happy. So obviously, the end has left me very conflicted. I mean, I want to be thrilled...but I can't bring myself to believe that they're just going to un-kill him. For all we know, that TV trick is just something he pre-recorded, and his network of other people is up to something. But yes, I would definitely like to see Moriarty return.

As for Mary: I don't care that we didn't learn anything about her past in this episode. Doesn't mean we won't in the future. And honestly, I'm just not that interested in knowing her back story.

marodi
09-11-2014, 12:59 PM
I just found myself a Christmas gift. All I need to do now is to find someone to buy it to me. (http://www.amazon.ca/Sherlock-Limited-Edition-Complete-Seasons/dp/B00NB9Y0US/ref=sr_1_1?tag=ca-skim1x143269-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1410452782&sr=8-1&keywords=Sherlock%3a+The+Complete+Seasons+1-3)

Dr.Z
01-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Did nobody else watch the Christmas special?

(I highly enjoyed it!)

Space Suicide
01-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Is this show worth a damn? I've always heard praise. Not to mention it's modern.

However, I ask this as the actual character of Sherlock Holmes bores the piss out of me. The books, past adaptations, cartoons, comics, etc. I have always disliked greatly.

Conan The Barbarian
01-02-2016, 09:34 PM
I found it pretty average. I think it gets its popularity because anything that is on BBC is never bad. Which is horse shit

marodi
01-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Is this show worth a damn? I've always heard praise. Not to mention it's modern.

However, I ask this as the actual character of Sherlock Holmes bores the piss out of me. The books, past adaptations, cartoons, comics, etc. I have always disliked greatly.

Well I guess you should stay away from this show. At its core, it's still very Holmes-ian. You'd hate it. However, like for everything else, I would encourage you to form your own opinion about it because you never know; you might end up loving it.

As for the New Year special: loved it. And can I have more Moriarty please? I love that crazy bastard.

bobbie solo
01-03-2016, 10:08 PM
it's a good show, but the hype it gets confounds me as well. The mysteries and his ability to solve them are preposterous. He has a superhuman brain but the show treats it like he is still just a person. It gets really, really over the top and if that sounds like it will bother you then stay away. I still like the show, I'm just pointing out where it can get a bit silly.

The acting, cinematography & writing are all top notch. There is some great humor in most episodes too, part. between Holmes & Watson.

Space Suicide
01-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Well I guess you should stay away from this show. At its core, it's still very Holmes-ian. You'd hate it. However, like for everything else, I would encourage you to form your own opinion about it because you never know; you might end up loving it.

As for the New Year special: loved it. And can I have more Moriarty please? I love that crazy bastard.

it's a good show, but the hype it gets confounds me as well. The mysteries and his ability to solve them are preposterous. He has a superhuman brain but the show treats it like he is still just a person. It gets really, really over the top and if that sounds like it will bother you then stay away. I still like the show, I'm just pointing out where it can get a bit silly.

The acting, cinematography & writing are all top notch. There is some great humor in most episodes too, part. between Holmes & Watson.

I took a dive and watched A Study In Pink on Netflix. Must say I enjoyed it and will see it through to more episodes of viewership.

theimage13
07-24-2016, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcWFoNqZHc

Substance242
01-02-2017, 03:52 AM
We're running again, don't forget. :-) Curious if we'll hear something about "Did you miss me?" Will watch tonight...

theimage13
01-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Seemed to be a lot of angry Doctor Who fans yelling "Moffatt ruined this" after the episode last night.

Personally, I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first couple of seasons, but still eager to watch the next two movies episodes.

theimage13
01-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Forgot to post this: for anyone who may have missed it, PBS does post the full episodes online quite quickly.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/sherlock-s4-e1-six-thatchers/

marodi
01-02-2017, 03:38 PM
I enjoyed it a lot too, in a masochistic way. Can't wait to see how they will explain the "Go to Hell, Sherlock".

marodi
01-08-2017, 09:51 PM
I think tonight's episode may be the best of the whole series. I loved every second of it.

"Are you having an earthquake?"

Dr.Z
01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
I think tonight's episode may be the best of the whole series. I loved every second of it.

"Are you having an earthquake?"

Absolutely. To me, it was by far the best episode since season 2 and maybe also better than season 1. Now I'm super excited for next week! :)

Substance242
01-10-2017, 03:04 AM
Wow, what the...? The best TV thing this year. Wait that doesn't... never mind, 10/10 still.

theimage13
01-10-2017, 06:00 PM
I enjoyed it a lot too, in a masochistic way. Can't wait to see how they will explain the "Go to Hell, Sherlock".

Well, that part of the message turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be, which was a little sad. Still lots of really fun stuff going on though, so simultaneously excited for / sad about the third episode this weekend. I hate that we wait so long for this and then it all drops in such a short time frame. I suppose I could exercise restraint and not watch them all as they come out, but who am I kidding? That's never gonna happen.

theimage13
01-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Maybe I'll come back later and go into detail why, but I just didn't like this episode.

Back in 2014, Cumberbatch claimed he was signed on for two more seasons. But there's rampant speculation that this is it, and honestly, I hope it is.

Nyx
01-17-2017, 07:39 AM
I enjoyed the "I Want to Break Free" part a little more than it would be reasonable to.

baudolino
01-17-2017, 08:57 AM
I actually enjoyed how trashy and self-referencing it became this season. Though I also won't be too sad if that's the end, I'd definitely give a Hudson spin-off a chance.

theimage13
01-17-2017, 09:20 AM
I enjoyed the "I Want to Break Free" part a little more than it would be reasonable to.

I could watch an entire spinoff from Moriarty's perspective just so I could see Andrew Scott continue to play that character. After David Tennant as...well, just about everyone he's ever played...Scott as Moriarty is easily my hands-down favorite acting role of at least the last decade. I cannot overstate just how fucking good I thought he was as that character.