PDA

View Full Version : Random General Questions

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tea
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".

Dra508
12-20-2011, 03:53 PM
THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".You had an allergic reaction. I have a friend who had a mango tree outside her door. We'd pick mangoes, cut them up, marinate them in red wine. Oh delicious. Then she started breaking out in a rash. Derm said she was allergic to the skin. Odd that it just started happening after having this tree and this delicious recipe for several years before she went allergic.

Harry Seaward
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
It's an allergic reaction. It probably doesn't affect everyone, just like most other allergens.

I have the same deal with bananas and avacadoes, though not as extreme. When I eat either one, my mouth gets retardedly itchy. it sucks.

Tea
12-20-2011, 04:01 PM
So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.

redshoewearer
12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
So if it's considered an allergic reaction, would any reaction to toxins be considered an allergy? I always considered allergies to be your body's peculiar/individual adverse reactions to substances that aren't considered poisonous. As in: I'm allergic individually to enoki mushrooms, but everyone is affected by bleach, a toxin.

Sublimaze should probably answer, but my thinking is, I've eaten tons of mangoes, handled all sorts of them, and at times ate a little bit of the skin by mistake, and nothing happened to me, so I think yours would be an allergic reaction, since I did not get any reaction to mango skin.

p.s. glad you started this thread.

Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!

Tea
12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Oh, and since this is random questions, who were you on the old board? Your posts seem familiar!
I was Inky- who were YOU!

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)

Goldfoot
12-20-2011, 11:26 PM

I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?

Okay, if your dishwasher rack is super rusty, will it get rust on your dishes? (I just moved)

That seems like a strong possibility. At least where the dishes are touching the rack.

redshoewearer
12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I was Inky- who were YOU!

Oh! The avatar with the bearded guy with girl's pigtails!

I was JaneNY for a while, but I changed my name while on the old board.

Another - who was NotoriousTIMP before?

icklekitty
12-21-2011, 12:48 PM
He was the same on old ETS, but had changed from trentisinmypants. I used to think he was a girl in the early days.

Tea
12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I've never been effected by poison ivy and I'm 95% sure that I've encountered it before. The way you put it sounds right, that a toxin affects everyone and allergens don't, but are you sure that urushiol considered a toxin?
Okay, so when I searched for urushiol on various websites, it was referred to as a toxin. But, when you look up info on poison ivy, it refers to it as an allergen.

... a poisonous North American plant that is well known for its production of urushiol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol), a clear liquid compound found within the sap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sap) of the plant that causes an itching rash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol-induced_contact_dermatitis) in most people who touch it... Around 15% to 30% of people have no allergic reaction.
So really, people need to get this toxin/allergen difference sorted out.

And if you have brushed against/touched poison ivy you don't necessarily come into contact with the urushiol because it's in the sap, not always on the leaf surface. I am pretty sure I touched it a few times at summer camp, with no effect.

BipolarMike
01-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Would it be cheaper to keep the (gas) heater on all the time, and just turn the heat down at night, or keep it off until we really need it (and have it work a lot harder to get up to the heat we like)?

jessamineny
01-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Anybody know a vet who would tell me what type/how much antibiotic to give to cats with kennel cough? My vets treated one of the cats for it before, but they're all passing it around apparently, and the vets won't prescribe without seeing all the cats -- minimum $65 office visit each. Can't afford that. :(

Edit: I should say that the vet previously prescribed an antibiotic that's only for animals, so I can't just go get that. I can get generic stuff like amoxicillin, clindamycin, ciprofloxacin.

sukey
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Need some good running/exercise music with a high bpm to motivate me. Recommendations?

halloween
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I asked that once and someone told me Daft Punk, i never ended up listening to them though but i figured i'd recommend them since someone out there thought it was a good recommendation!

Tea
01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Would it be cheaper to keep the (gas) heater on all the time, and just turn the heat down at night, or keep it off until we really need it (and have it work a lot harder to get up to the heat we like)?

From my experience, turning it down when you don't need it works better. It depends on the system you have, but at my last house, for example, it would turn on all the time even when it couldn't help (same with my A/C there). It was such a bad furnace it couldn't get over 63°F, and yet when it was at that temp it would systematically turn on and turn off a minute later, which is a bigger waste.

Rossva
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Need some good running/exercise music with a high bpm to motivate me. Recommendations?

If I need to train hard, it's Dillinger Escape Plan every time. Best album, Miss Machine

Ryan
01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
What makes ETS the best forum on the web for you?

For me it's because it's kind of a catch-all for everything, not only NIN-related. Also the fact that the fans here are on the same wavelength as Trent himself (i.e. intelligent, always on the ball, reliable, on top of current events and all the rest). It's like you can't come on here and not find an answer for something. Probably one of the best communities ever to exist really. I always come here first for pretty much everything.

Tea
01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
What makes ETS the best forum on the web for you?

For me it's because it's kind of a catch-all for everything, not only NIN-related. Also the fact that the fans here are on the same wavelength as Trent himself (i.e. intelligent, always on the ball, reliable, on top of current events and all the rest). It's like you can't come on here and not find an answer for something. Probably one of the best communities ever to exist really. I always come here first for pretty much everything.

Gosh, Ryan, I really do hope you forgive me for making a completely useless and insulting thread. I wouldn't want to upset you.

Ryan
01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Huh?
ten characters

Fixer808
01-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Newer Ministry. There's songs with bpm's of like 800. Good to really punish your ass on a treadmill!

millionmilesaway
01-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Anybody know a vet who would tell me what type/how much antibiotic to give to cats with kennel cough? My vets treated one of the cats for it before, but they're all passing it around apparently, and the vets won't prescribe without seeing all the cats -- minimum $65 office visit each. Can't afford that. :(

Edit: I should say that the vet previously prescribed an antibiotic that's only for animals, so I can't just go get that. I can get generic stuff like amoxicillin, clindamycin, ciprofloxacin.

Ive never encountered a cat with kennel cough but it can happen. its a bacterial infection and is best treated with doxycycline in dogs, doxy is safe for use in cats but not often used. with kennel cough all pets in the household must be treated at the same time anywhere from 10-30 days depending on the severity of infection. Disinfecting the living areas may help too since its a pretty hardy bacteria that can live outside the body for quite some time. My best advice would be to take them to a vet, just because it was kennel cough in the past it may not be the same thing this time. Hope your kitties feel better soon!

Jon
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Edit: Helped, thanks!

cashpiles (closed)
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
You know when a woman says that she can feel a man's eyes on her body? How exactly does that feel? Is it just this "spider sense is tingling" type of thing? Can a woman "feel" the specific location of her body a man is looking at?

halloween
01-12-2012, 08:57 PM
You know when a woman says that she can feel a man's eyes on her body? How exactly does that feel? Is it just this "spider sense is tingling" type of thing? Can a woman "feel" the specific location of her body a man is looking at?

Well, I can't say I can feel only mens eyes, but sometimes when I catch someone looking my way out of the corner of my eye, my skin prickles a little, mostly to do wtih my own nervousness. So if it's someone I like, then it REALLY prickles.

Dra508
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Well, I can't say I can feel only mens eyes, but sometimes when I catch someone looking my way out of the corner of my eye, my skin prickles a little, mostly to do wtih my own nervousness. So if it's someone I like, then it REALLY prickles.More interesting is when you see someone looking at someone you know and then they catch you looking at them. I've done this several times and usually they look guilty because they were either completely oggling someone's boobs (yes, their eyes where there) or totally judging, with their eyes, what the person they were looking at was wearing. I feel like their conscious: "really, do you have to look at people like that?"

Random question: Quicken has always been my husband's personal finance tool, but being on my own, I'm not feeling like I have to stick with that one. Anyone use Quicken or suggest something else? Haven't started any research yet so am looking for just gut opinion.

Conan The Barbarian
01-17-2012, 10:38 AM
I have an ebay question.

when I search the bid history it seems that people with the one letter number followed by * seem to try and outbid me.

for example "2*****". are these actually people or are these dupe accounts just to make a bidder pay more?

botley
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if they're dupe accounts or not but all bidders have asterisked-out names on eBay to protect privacy on bid histories.

Conan The Barbarian
01-17-2012, 12:22 PM
ah I see. ok. After reading forums, people seem to despise early bidders like myself. Im not trying to screw anyone over, I am just trying to win. I am pretty new to ebay since I never really trusted these types of sites.

sadpanda
01-23-2012, 01:37 PM
can someone clarify exactly when ets used to have signatures? im trying to work out a timeline on something

edit; it was 5+ years ago, no casuals

coolguy
01-29-2012, 02:09 AM
So a couple years ago I caught like, the last 30 seconds of some tv show, or movie (I have no clue) on the Sci Fy channel, and since nowadays when a tv show ends, the credits blaze by in like 2 seconds, or even not at all, I missed what it was. It was animated and black and white and one of the characters was a zombie or skeleton or something. It looked pretty sweet and I've tried googling the most vague ideas trying to figure out what it was. Any ideas?

Pillfred
01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Nightmare before Christmas?

Merse
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what language this is? I think it's either Tagalog or...yeah, I don't know.
"Tou koi phadec mot fi"

Thanks!

Pillfred
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe it's the internets here at the cafe but has youtube been sucking it up lately?

DF118
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know of any good public domain, royalty free music resources? All the site's I've been able to find, they all completely suck, or charge something like $99 a use.

redshoewearer
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Any Gaelic speakers here? How would you pronounce this name: O'Searcoid? (and there is an accent on the o that is in the middle of the name)

I was thinking it would sound like 'O-sheerkud' or something near that?

It is the author of a math book I'm using and none of us in class, including the teacher, is 100% sure how to pronounce it.

Hula
02-05-2012, 03:28 PM
'Oh-shar-code' (emphasis on the 'shar').

redshoewearer
02-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Hula!

sadpanda
02-06-2012, 03:04 AM
public domain AND royalty free?

in all my research, musopen.org is about your only option [which fucking sucks]

if you're so inclined, you could find public domain midis and synthesize them yourself-- stupid i know

personally i'm looking for the best deal on royalty free music with unlimited use-- i could handle paying the hundo if i got enough music to use in my projects forever

edit; how the hell does quotes work now

frankie teardrop
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know of any good public domain, royalty free music resources? All the site's I've been able to find, they all completely suck, or charge something like $99 a use.

edit: i misread the question

Fixer808
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
edit; how the hell does quotes work now
Like this. See that button next to "reply" that says "reply with quote"?

DF118
02-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks sanpanda, I'll check it out. I'm not really interested in synthesizing my own midi, I might keep that in mind for future though.

what are you looking to find here? info on releases, band members, reviews? there's always allmusic and discogs (and sometimes last.fm), but that might be more elementary level if you're looking for all the behind-the-scenes info.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm looking for royalty free music to use in a game I'm making, something akin to the music for Flight Control or Angry Birds. When I'm making a game I usually have a piece of music in mind (Cat Attack, for example was always going to be Flight of the Bumblebee), but I want to shop around a bit for my latest. Something catchy but not obnoxious.

sadpanda
02-07-2012, 05:39 AM
what are you looking to find here? info on releases, band members, reviews? there's always allmusic and discogs (and sometimes last.fm), but that might be more elementary level if you're looking for all the behind-the-scenes info.
>musician
>doesnt know what public domain or royalty free mean

DF118
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
>musician

> crackhead
> smokes crack

frankie teardrop
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
>musician

nobody likes an asshole.

DF118, i assume you've tried these then:
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/freemusic.htm

sadpanda
02-07-2012, 02:49 PM
roflwaffles

richardp
02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
So I'll be interviewing MuteMath next week, and it's the first time I'll have ever interviewed someone. Not only am I already a huge fan, but I don't even know where to begin with how to conduct it, what questions to ask in order to keep it interesting and fun. Would any of you by any chance have any advice for me?

Blackbookpress1984
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
wish i saw this earlier. I used to interview bands all the time and probably could have helped you out.

Did a few with:

bayside
silverstein
plain white t's
punchline
hawthorne heights
the get go
j.v. allstars
ect...

(dont't know why i fet the need to list those) not as cool when your 27 as it was when i was 23 and in school

redshoewearer
02-14-2012, 08:03 PM
So I'll be interviewing MuteMath next week, and it's the first time I'll have ever interviewed someone. Not only am I already a huge fan, but I don't even know where to begin with how to conduct it, what questions to ask in order to keep it interesting and fun. Would any of you by any chance have any advice for me?

What about researching some interviews of them already done, and see what questions are asked a lot, and at least be sure not to ask those? See what questions annoyed them, or they liked. Those would be some of the first things i'd think of.

Amaro
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
My car was involved in a towing incident some months back, after needing it towed due to a battery related issue...towing mechanism almost ripped out the whole front bumper when it was being brought out from underneath the car. The tow truck driver then thought to wedge something behind one of the tires and then turn on the tow reel to pull out the mechanism safely enough. But what resulted from the incident was front bumper edges protruding out a bit. Pretty noticeable if you took one look at it, especially the right side.

Fast forward to today...one attempted repair (at the towing company's expense) didn't quite do the trick...it's still visibly protruded on one side. Not perfect. Not the way I bought the car. Plain and simple. I called the repair place back and said I wasn't totally happy with it and want more attempts done, like they said I could do. I got an appointment on Saturday for now... Basically, though, if it doesn't turn out much better, if the bumper is warped just enough to not be fixable, I have the right to ask for a new bumper or money for one (covering the part cost, paint job, and installing) from the towing company, right?

Edit: It was fixed.

icklekitty
03-19-2012, 06:33 AM
So what does an "industry person" wear to an awards show? I doubt my staple evening retroslut wardrobe will suffice for this one.

Tighfield11
03-31-2012, 12:26 PM
THIS NEEDS TO EXIST.

Okay, so I drank a mango smoothie the other day, and broke out in a crazy rash, and my whole body still itches three days later. Apparently, mango sap and skin contains urushiol, the same toxin that's contained in poison ivy. As someone who eats fresh and processed mangoes frequently this was a huge shock, as the processing plant for Naked must be run by idiots and assholes who don't care if all the skin gets in there. My question here is- would this be considered an allergic reaction? Wouldn't everyone be affected by this toxin in some way, big or small? I contacted the company and their reply was basically "it's not our fault you had an allergic reaction".

Allergies are hypersensitivity reactions. Few people are extra sensitive to allergens or things that cause allergy. So you maybe one of them. It sounds like an allergy. Try anti histamines and other medications that are prescribed by doctors. If it slows down or disappears it means your allergic. These allergens release histamines and serotonin in body causing rashes and other allergic symptoms so anti histamines are usually helpful.

Ryan
04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Best way to convert DRM M4P files to mp3?

I use Total Video Converter to convert everything usually, but these stubborn m4p files are being a bitch and it won't allow me to.

Fixer808
04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
iTunes seems to be able to convert some formats, but I'm not sure about m4p.

BlueCalx
04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey playas, anyone here ever look into immigrating to the Caribbean?

Ryan
04-09-2012, 01:18 AM
iTunes seems to be able to convert some formats, but I'm not sure about m4p.

This looks promising:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2385673/2121192/

Ryan
04-09-2012, 04:34 AM
This looks promising:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2385673/2121192/

Well it is pretty promising, then once the conversion starts the fucking Apple icon pops up saying shit about usual DRM authorisation. Jesus this is getting frustrating.

Elke
05-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Anyone here know anything about mindfulness? I'm finally getting round to starting it up, but I'm kind of interested in hearing about people's experience with it.

halloween
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Anyone here know anything about mindfulness? I'm finally getting round to starting it up, but I'm kind of interested in hearing about people's experience with it.

Mmm...i'm not sure what you mean by this. But i've been practicing "meditative" mindsets for years now (just as a way to deal with anxiety) and my therapist last year told me to try to be "mindful". To me that just means taking a deep breath and seeing your present moment with 100% of your attention, to NOT think about the future, the past, or anything at all except to just absorb. Just sitting with my cup of coffee outside for 10 solid minutes makes all the difference for me sometimes. I always have to take a moment to myself during the evening at some point- especially when I'm feeling "anxious" thoughts on the back of my head. I really like sitting and doing absolutely "nothing", but let myself think without passing judgement.

YKWYA
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM

I fail miserably at it, but, I really love the teachings of this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgHaqJi2WU

But really Mindfulness, from what I understand, Mindfulness is just about watching what you think, your thoughts, even now, suggestions your mind brings up that are not based in what actually happened. Be aware of how you interpret things. Literal, Would be a simplistic interpretation, but then think of where our thoughts lead us: 'Does he or she like me or not'? And the myriad of thoughts social situations throw up? Like a lot of Buddhism it is based on what you KNOW not ideology or theology (no celestial dictatorships) but what you can see, touch, taste, smell, hear, and then realizing that those things are interpreted by atoms (not sure if I used the right word here) flowing into your brain to create a mental image of whats REALLY going on. Mind is like an onion, constantly strip away the layers. And as Thanissaro says, we are like camera, constantly focusing on something outside, in the distance, when all we really have is here, inside. And inside we die. Death being something that also goes hand in hand with dealing with mindfulness. Not just us, but our planet. And, the fact that one day the sun will consume the earth and quite possibly every single human en-devour will be gone. Now that's a thought.

EDIT Mindfulness also involves watching the 'mind'. i.e, go sit somewhere and watch the clouds. Thats it, Focus on nothing but the clouds. Think about nothing but the clouds. And watch how thoughts come into your head. 'I have to write an essay by Monday' etc. Worry, I guess. then these teaching lead to attachment. We build attachments in this world. Our mind 'grasps' and 'needs' things. Possessions. If I have a nice car girls will like me etc. Relationships. Thats your mind. That doesnt discount 'Love' though. If it really is Love and not just convenience, habit, fear or social standing that drives it.

And then obviously we have the Breath. Follow each in and out. What are you ACTUALLY breathing in and out? Down to the atom? Or god particle? There are no revelations or miracles in Buddhism.

All the best to you.

Nyx
05-07-2012, 06:16 PM
The core of mindfulness (as it relates to treating depression and anxiety - I'm not too familiar with the philosophical stuff) is basically observing without evaluating and judging. It doesn't just go for things around you but your thoughts and inner processes as well. If you have a negative thought you don't interpret it as such, you just notice its existence and let it pass, like words or images on a screen, and then continue with whatever you were being mindful about. You can empoy mindfulness while doing anything, from washing the dishes (notice water temperature, slippery feel of the detergent, the feel of the sponge, what you can smell (but not pass judgement on whether it's pleasant or not), what sort of sounds the dishes make, can you hear any noises from outside, etc..), taking a walk, taking a shower and so on.
Apparently, it's quite effective, though I've never really given it a try myself, not on a regular basis anyway.

YKWYA
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
The core of mindfulness (as it relates to treating depression and anxiety - I'm not too familiar with the philosophical stuff)

Where does it relate to treating 'depression and anxiety'? In fact it sees depression and anxiety as products of attachment. Of grasping. Of, 'He has a bigger TV' etc. It isn't philosophical either. It is purely about what we know.

Nyx
05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I was mostly referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness-based_cognitive_therapy

Elke
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Bought some books and an 8 week audio guide, but it'll have to wait until I get myself in control again, because I'm crashing rather fast at the moment.

YKWYA, I was advised to use mindfulness to help deal with my depression, and my HSP, by my therapist and some people with similar histories who've already tried it. Apparently it's being used quite succesfully in some Belgian hospitals to help chronically depressed people avoid the pitfalls of regression and such, so...

Goldfoot
05-27-2012, 01:17 AM
This is mainly for those of the Canadian persuasion, but what the hell is the deal with bags of milk? How can anyone think that's a good idea?

theruiner
05-27-2012, 01:32 AM
There are bags of milk? I've never heard of that before.

marodi
05-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Ladies and gents, Wikipedia explains it all better than I could (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_bag). :)

There are pictures also. Personally, I don't care about it because I hate milk.

edit: Goldfoot: milk in bags take less space in the fridge. I still hate it.

Yogurt is awesome though; so is cheese.

Goldfoot
05-27-2012, 02:19 AM
edit: Goldfoot: milk in bags take less space in the fridge. I still hate it. .

I can see the argument that it uses less plastic than a jug, but I just don't accept that they take up less space. You have to put it in a pitcher, which takes up just as much room as a jug. If not in a jug, then it's laying down, using up a bunch of space and not allowing anything to be put on top of it. Reading the Benefits and Drawbacks on Wikipedia, I don't actually accept using the bag for sandwiches as a benefit enough that I'd want to have milk in a bag. The possibility of getting a hole in the bag and not being able to reseal it seems like a real bummer to me. I recycle my jugs anyway, so I'm not too concerned about using more plastic.

redshoewearer
05-29-2012, 06:52 AM
There are bags of milk? I've never heard of that before.

It is the main way cow milk is sold commercially in Bangladesh.

Sutekh
05-29-2012, 06:59 AM
they take up less space logistics-wise because they are squishy & can be squashed into tight spaces. You can pack them in like bricks. And yep they use far far less plastic than bottles

we have them in Britain but I've never seen anyone use them

Dra508
06-11-2012, 05:58 AM
I'm close to ready to jump on the tablet band wagon, but am a bit conflicted on which would be best. I've read lots of tech reviews, but am curious if there are any folks around here that have strong opinions either way.

Between a kindle, a nook, or suck it up and spend on a iPad?

I really don't feel the need to get one with wireless data. I think I can suffer thru chasing wifi.

I really don't want to spend $600. So responses with "Apple FTW" won't help me. "my iPad does xyz which I can't leave without." would be more useful.

allegro
06-11-2012, 06:26 AM
It depends on how you plan to USE it. If you just want it for reading and nothing more, get an e-reader, not a full-blown tablet like the iPad. If you want apps and you want to access your calendar and check your email and do work from home, then an e-reader ain't gonna help you.

I have both an iPad and a Kindle Touch and I use them for separate reasons.

Dra508
06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
You know, I originally posted what I think my uses would be, but then I thought that that would limit the input. I'd like to hear why you have a Kindle and an iPad.

I think I would use whichever for reading, viewing video, playing simple games, surfing the web when I'm too lazy to get out of bed or off the couch and over to my desktop. Last week, I did a roundtrip to Chicago for some meetings and really wish I had an iPad. I really didn't need to lug my work laptop, but looking at emails or documents on my iphone is a bit painful... That puts iPad high on the list, but can a really justify the cost when I might need that sort of application a couple of times a year at most. One of my reluctance's is I don't want to turn into a junkie who can't get their nose out of their tablet. I think I just need to get over that.

allegro
06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
You know, I originally posted what I think my uses would be, but then I thought that that would limit the input. I'd like to hear why you have a Kindle and an iPad.
I think I would use whichever for reading, viewing video, playing simple games, surfing the web when I'm too lazy to get out of bed or off the couch and over to my desktop. Last week, I did a roundtrip to Chicago for some meetings and really wish I had an iPad. I really didn't need to lug my work laptop, but looking at emails or documents on my iphone is a bit painful... That puts iPad high on the list, but can a really justify the cost when I might need that sort of application a couple of times a year at most. One of my reluctance's is I don't want to turn into a junkie who can't get their nose out of their tablet. I think I just need to get over that.

If you want to surf the web or play games, the Kindle is out, it's black and white and slow and virtually unreadable and not intended for that. The Kindle Fire is in color but it's still meant more for magazine and book reading.

Think of the iPad as a GIANT iPhone (but without a phone). Some of the hundreds of ways I use my iPad:

GoToMyPC (access to my office computer, virtual desktop, I run my computer at work via my iPad)
Email
Twitter
Calendar (Google and iCloud calendars all synced)
Web surfing via Safari (mostly while lying in bed, lying on the couch, sitting out on my patio, sitting by Lake Michigan, etc. etc.)
Stream movies via Netflix
Games
Workout Stuff (Yoga videos, workout logs, etc)
LogMeIn (access to my mother's computer in Detroit so I can fix things when she gets confused or screws things up)
Kindle (books stored in the Cloud)
Electronic Journal

Of course, it's a "toy" to some and "invaluable" to others. G and I love our iPads more than any gadget we've ever owned, we use our iPads ALL the time. My friend Bon thought it was a waste of money until her husband brought one home and then he couldn't pry it out of her hands. She's an art professor and there are a shitload of cool art apps. There are also the standard Apple apps i.e. Garage Band, iPhoto, etc.

edit: oh, wait, I forgot another use: my mom's cat LOVES my iPad. She'll play Cat Fishing for hours, and has even figured out how to start a new game when she wins, which is creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaif2uq_0Vc

allegro
06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
oh, and one more thing that I probably shouldn't say but I will, anyway:

I take my iPad into the bathroom. All the time. But, I take it everywhere, I use it when I'm eating breakfast at the kitchen table, it's on my lap in bed right now.

Fixer808
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
So... you LIKE it? Is that what we're to take away from this? ;)

allegro
06-12-2012, 01:06 PM
So... you LIKE it? Is that what we're to take away from this? ;)

I thought "I like it" would be a sufficient enough reason for why I have an iPad, but she asked for an itemization. Just for the record, though, I'm not addicted to it, like she seems to fear. I actually read REAL books. Like, hardcover even.

Goldfoot
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I thought "I like it" would be a sufficient enough reason for why I have an iPad, but she asked for an itemization. Just for the record, though, I'm not addicted to it, like she seems to fear. I actually read REAL books. Like, hardcover even.

He's not saying that, "I like it," would have been a sufficient response. He's joking around by making a clear understatement.;)

Fixer808
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
hardcover
You're speaking my language. My dad has some gorgeous copies of Lord of the Rings and The Sillmarillion!

allegro
06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
He's not saying that, "I like it," would have been a sufficient response. He's joking around by making a clear understatement.;)

Um, yeah, I know that, trust me: Fixer and I understand each other's sarcism. :rolleyes:

allegro
06-12-2012, 11:22 PM
All of this, clearly, is Dra's fault. Bitch can't just go blow some cash on her bad self, when she clearly deserves it, while her ex blows her money on stupid shit.

GET THE IPAD, DRA!! EVEN IF IT'S JUST FOR YOU TO LOOK AT PORN WHILE YOU POOP!!

Dra508
06-13-2012, 05:04 AM
All of this, clearly, is Dra's fault. Bitch can't just go blow some cash on her bad self, when she clearly deserves it, while her ex blows her money on stupid shit.

GET THE IPAD, DRA!! EVEN IF IT'S JUST FOR YOU TO LOOK AT PORN WHILE YOU POOP!!GAH, you hit the nail on the head. I'm getting the dam iPad. In chatting with my brother yesterday, who felt compelled to IM me that HE bought an iPad, I think I might just go for a refurb'd one.

Beef of the Sea
06-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Does anyone have any experience in getting CD liner notes made up?

Just wondering what kind of paper to use for it, and if it'll stand up to being printed double sided with shit loads of colour, etc.

orestes
06-30-2012, 09:11 PM
People of ETS: I'm thinking of dyeing my hair red again, inspired by Kate Kane, aka Batwoman, and her awesome red bob. I've been growing my hair out so it's just now past my chin. Do you think I could pull off such a bold shade of red?

Fixer808
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes. Yes you can. You pulled off the Princess Bubblegum hair pretty well.

marodi
07-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree with Fixer (and it has nothing to do with the fear I have of him killing my family).

icklekitty
07-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Right, geeks.

I have a problem with my laptop (shitty pink Dell thing). I know what the problem is - I dropped it and the case around the screen smashed, exposing the wires. I've still been able to use it, though (this happened months ago), but now the start button won't work (inexplicably). I need to load the Media Direct partition (which as you know is useless and crashes) and then use F8 to start windows normally.

This is a ballache.

Is there anything I can do to get around this/make things work more easily, or are my choices either to put up with this or get a new laptop (worth 3 days in Paris)? I know how to remove the hard drive and move it to a new computer, so I'm not worried about losing data.

Goldfoot
07-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I have a problem with my laptop (shitty pink Dell thing). I know what the problem is - I dropped it and the case around the screen smashed, exposing the wires. I've still been able to use it, though (this happened months ago), but now the start button won't work (inexplicably). I need to load the Media Direct partition (which as you know is useless and crashes) and then use F8 to start windows normally.

Is there anything I can do to get around this/make things work more easily, or are my choices either to put up with this or get a new laptop (worth 3 days in Paris)? I know how to remove the hard drive and move it to a new computer, so I'm not worried about losing data.

By "start button" do you mean the power button? If you do, how are you getting it to turn on at all? If not, I guess I just don't understand what you're saying. When it comes to transferring data, though, I don't know if you can just put your current hard drive in a new laptop. The software is installed custom for the machine its in and I've rarely been able to swap hardware and have Windows continue to function properly. Not that it can't happen, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

As for my question, what are your thoughts on Craigslist? I have to find a new place to live by the end of the year and I can't exactly afford to rent a place by myself. Craigslist has some listings that are within the ballpark I'm looking at, but I've never done anything through this site before and I'm not sure how trustworthy it is. I've had one or two people tell me it's my best bet, but are there any other sites that will let me find someone renting out a room? The only other ones I know of are for empty apartments, like Rent.com.

icklekitty
07-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Yes, the power button. There's a separate button (with a little house on it) for Media Direct. So I load that, unplug it, let it crash, load Media Direct again, press F8 and select "boot windows normally" and I'm in (from the screen that says "Microsoft Corporation" + the green bar going along). Which makes me think it's a problem of the power button itself. It's awkward, but it works for now. But I'd rather do it normally.

To prepare for when it fully dies, I'm also looking into turning the old internal hard drive into an external one. I know how to physically do it, but would that work? Part of this is just not wanting to throw away a perfectly good hard drive.

Dra508
07-25-2012, 06:28 AM
As for my question, what are your thoughts on Craigslist? I have to find a new place to live by the end of the year and I can't exactly afford to rent a place by myself. Craigslist has some listings that are within the ballpark I'm looking at, but I've never done anything through this site before and I'm not sure how trustworthy it is. I've had one or two people tell me it's my best bet, but are there any other sites that will let me find someone renting out a room? The only other ones I know of are for empty apartments, like Rent.com.I've used Craiglist to rent a whole apartment so I can't comment on just a room, but it seems that it is the go-to website because it's so local, quick, and easy.

Beef of the Sea
07-25-2012, 06:50 AM
To prepare for when it fully dies, I'm also looking into turning the old internal hard drive into an external one. I know how to physically do it, but would that work? Part of this is just not wanting to throw away a perfectly good hard drive.

Kenoath it would work, just look for something like THIS (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4697) or THIS (http://www.pcgogo.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=9241)

There will be a IDE/SATA connector and power socket on the back end of the HDD, you just have to figure out how to remove it from your laptop proper.
Each make and model has its own idiosyncrasies, but with a small Phillips and Flat blade screw driver you should be fine.

Goldfoot
07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Yes, the power button. There's a separate button (with a little house on it) for Media Direct. So I load that, unplug it, let it crash, load Media Direct again, press F8 and select "boot windows normally" and I'm in (from the screen that says "Microsoft Corporation" + the green bar going along). Which makes me think it's a problem of the power button itself. It's awkward, but it works for now. But I'd rather do it normally.

Ok, well then that is a hardware issue and in order to fix it you would have to take apart the laptop, figure out which part of the system is failing, and then proceed accordingly. Not something a casual user is likely to be comfortable with.

Ok, turning it into an external drive would probably work. I've not done it with a laptop hard drive, but I've done it with a full size.

I've used Craiglist to rent a whole apartment so I can't comment on just a room, but it seems that it is the go-to website because it's so local, quick, and easy.

Good to know; I'm going to ask some of my friends to see what they think but there's some decently priced listings on there. I figure I'd meet the person and speak in person before making a final decision, but the more knowledge I can get people to share with me, the better equipped I am to make a good decision.

REPLICA
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I am looking to buy some new glasses (perscription) in the next few months. Can anyone give me any opinions about Lenscrafters, Walmart, or should I stick with a private optometrist?

I am looking to purchase an every day set and an active set.

the duder
09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
So, I was going to post this in the Apple, Inc thread but figure I'd look this thread up and post here instead.

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet on buying an iPad 3 within the upcoming week. The primary reason I'd like to buy one is for school - i.e. being able to download journal articles, highlight, annotate and carry all of them around without having to burn through a ton of paper and also being able to have them all in a centralized spot. The other reason why I'm thinking of buying one is that my good ol' trusty MacBook (black body, about 6 years old) bit the dust this summer. I've been BARELY making the semester work by hauling my old ass Dell work laptop around and would like something that I could take home, use productively but not have to drop the coin on a MacBook Air.

Anyone with one of the new iPads/tablets have any thoughts?

Dra508
09-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I am looking to buy some new glasses (perscription) in the next few months. Can anyone give me any opinions about Lenscrafters, Walmart, or should I stick with a private optometrist?

I am looking to purchase an every day set and an active set.I've gone both routes. I spent the same amount of money in Pearle that I did in the local shop and I think I got better lenses at the local shop. Both will adjust your frames any time for free. The local places have more very stylish and active brands then a box store. I like local.

orestes
09-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Or only pay a third of that and order your prescription online. http://www.zennioptical.com

imail724
10-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Whatever happened with ticketmaster refunding everybody for the processing fees they've been charging the past ten years? Did anyone get that refund?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

halloween
10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Is there any particular reason for me to be craving eggs? Mmmmm...I'm not even hungry but I just want eggs. I post this after having just finished my midnight snack of two eggs and kielbasa. The kielbasa was more delicious than the eggs yet I still just want to go straight to the kitchen and scramble more of those delicious baby chickens.

Findus
10-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Have you ever had déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà déjà vu?

Fixer808
10-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Once. It was really weird.

Fixer808
10-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Once. It was really... wait, haven't we been here before?

sentient02970
10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't have enough fingers and thumbs to answer this question.

Leman Russ
10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
http://zulfiqar.typepad.com/zulfiqars_web/images/neo_whoa_1.jpg

r_z
10-15-2012, 06:06 AM
I stumbled upon a mp3 that seemingly had two covers tagged in it. They would change every few seconds on the display of my mp3 player. How do you do this? It'd be cool, if the mp3's of, say, Ghosts would change from cd cover to song image.

Fixer808
11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
A few months ago my landlord offered to sell me his 60's Mustang for $2500. Should I offer him a trade, my '01 Dodge Caravan (that needs new brakes and battery) for his Mustang? GO!

Oh, and I paid $4000 for my van last December, and I'd ask him but he's too busy screaming at his son right now. I'm pretty much been living below this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcePxjFujs) since February...

Big Fat Matt
11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
how many miles are on your not so grand caravan?

Fixer808
11-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Bought it with 180k km+ on the odometer, put another 12k km on it in 8 months. I'll find out the condition of the 'Stang. Think it's a '65, notchback, right forward fender is a bit crumpled, sky-blue.

Big Fat Matt
11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
if you can get it as an even swap, do it every fucking day of the week.

Magtig
11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Two vague questions about things I don't know anything about. I'm just looking for general input, wiki was pretty sparse on both counts.

1) I've been contacted by a French TV show (http://www.canalplus.fr/c-infos-documentaires/pid4583-c-ms-l-oeil-de-links.html) broadcast on Canal plus. Is anyone familiar with the show or Canal?
2) Is anyone familiar with musician, Steve Cobby? All I really know is that he's a UK DJ. Impressions?

Pillfred
11-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Whatever happened with ticketmaster refunding everybody for the processing fees they've been charging the past ten years? Did anyone get that refund?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kinda like the RIAA paying out the artists all the money they have been suing people for.

Hula
11-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Edit: Answered my own question. S'all good.

dominik
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Any Hipstamatic users here?

I just looked for Lenses and Films and found this: http://gear.hipstamatic.com/combo/lens/americana/film/stars

But both aren't available any more.. does anyone know a good lens/film combo that achieves a smiliar effect (low-saturated black and white)?

danzo_rezno
01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Anyone know this song/artist from the new American Dad episode? :) I like it!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/g3vj1205xbp0i9s/ad.mp3

Highly Psychological
01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
What is Memphis Tennessee like? I have to go there next month to see someone. It may be really cool! But i know hardly anything about the place? Other than Elvis and that Cher song. What are people's opinions on the city of Memphis, how does it compare to other cities in the South. Is it really redneck? Just kidding! suggestions about cool stuff not related to Elvis to check out there would be nice.

Fixer808
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Really good BBQ joints, so I hear.

Chaotix
01-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I'll preface this with a short back story: Because of things with my old roommate exploding due to his irresponsibility and negligence of important things, I had to find a place to stay ASAP. I found an ad on Craigslist for a live in job at a hotel describing an offer wherein for work at the hotel room, you would be compensated with a place to stay. I've been living here about three and a half weeks, now.

So, since I started this job I've seen various things that were questionable, but until yesterday it did not yet occur to me that there may be a lot of illegal activity going on at this hotel on the owner's part. The hotel is owned and run by a family from India (Patels, of course), and between them they have several corporations that make up their hotel chain within the region.

A couple weeks ago, the owner and head of their "household" (I guess that's what you call it), asked me to take a legal document titled "SPECIAL WARRANTY DEED" and directly type a copy of the papers into a new OpenOffice document. After this, he proceeded to help me change all instances of names, companies and dates to suit his current aims. The papers were originally from the state of Missouri when he was purchasing a hotel back in 2007, and had me replace them with a more current date and the name of his corporation and that of the one he has set up for his son. So, while these look like official documents, they're essentially hack jobs he had me do on a computer at the front desk.

Now, yesterday, he had me forge another part of this 28 page document, doing the same thing. While talking with my friend/the maintenance guy whose patience is running as short with the Manager's as mine is, I made the comment that I had to get back to working on fixing more documents that the Manager was too "busy" to fix himself, and said friend laughed and made the comment "you mean too busy to do the legal way", which made me start thinking about all of this.

The papers aren't the only things that are bothersome in this hotel and the business practices here. On an every-other-day basis he has been instructing me to use fake e-mails to book hotel stays at his various locations using his AMEX credit card by fake people whom he has previous made various GMail or Hotmail accounts for, followed by forging reviews for the hotel. These reviews are all over his hotels on Expedia, Booking, Travelocity, Google+ and others. What's even further disturbing, is that his instructions are specifically to copy/paste reviews from other hotels in random cities and tweak them to match descriptions of the hotel here. So not only is he falsely talking up his hotel, he's also forging reviews from other hotels.

Probably the most disturbing thing so far, is that when we went to a different hotel about an hour and a half away to set up security cameras, an employee revealed something to me that she had been told to keep to herself: The fire alarm kept beeping/going off every few nights, so the Manager told her to silence the fire alarm (as he was too cheap to have it looked at). Because the fire alarm was silenced, the elevator no longer worked, but obviously that's the least of the issue here. She couldn't stand up to him, because like almost all of his employees, we we're compensated for our work with a roof over our heads and if we make him angry, then he kicks us out.

When he interviews people, he either hires them on the spot or tells them to go home. Other than the generic application, no other papers are signed and that's that. It seemed a bit odd to me, but I was too worried about having a roof over my head to really think about it. But truthfully, now that I'm thinking about how illegal a lot of things he does are... that may be the least of my problems, since he's instructing me to be an accomplice in all these unethical business practices. He doesn't even run heating in public areas of the hotel and has 5 space heaters in the front desk/office area to make the thermometer read above 68 degrees (which I guess is the number the hotel temperature has to stay above).

So what should I do? If someone gets pissed, can they sue him? Hell can I sue him? I'm not one of those sue happy people, but the question had come into my head. Should I report him to some sort of agency? I have all this to consider on top of the fact that this is the only place I have to stay, and since I don't actually get paid, I'm pretty much stuck here until I can convince a friend to let me move in with them so I can get a job.

Fixer808
01-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow, that is wildly illegal. I'd report him anonymously to the Better Business Bureau, or more to the point to the fucking fire department/police for turning off a fire alarm in a goddamn hotel!! Motherfucker's gonna get someone killed through his own negligence!

allegro
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
The Special Warranty Deed thing isn't illegal or unethical if he's transferring his own property, although he probably should have used a Quit Claim Deed (not Special Warranty).

Copying the language on a legal document to prepare another legal document is not illegal. This is done in law all day every day. (In law, we have a saying: "Plagiarism is 9/10th of our jobs."). He should not do this for SOMEBODY ELSE (that's UPL or Unlicensed Practice of Law) but he can do it for himself (his own real property) or have you type it under his direction. (The one exception being if you are a paralegal, in which case you can only ethically prepare a legal document under the direction of a licensed attorney.)

"Unethical" is not the same as "illegal." "Illegal" means that there is a criminal statute preventing such actions; this does not appear to be the case, unless he's stealing other people's property or something.

"Forging" is when you sign somebody else's signature. This is a criminal act.

Also, there is nothing unethical or illegal about his hiring practices.

Before you do anything about the fire alarm, I'd find out if what your coworker says is actually true. Fire inspections are done regularly.

Sue him? For what? People can sue for whatever they want, but they need money to do that. Attorneys cost money and you don't appear to have a contingency case. Note that suing is a civil act, not a criminal act.

You do appear to hate your boss and you seem paranoid.

You should probably quit and move out.

Fixer808
01-11-2013, 03:44 AM
I'll bow out before your actual legal knowledge, allegro. His boss seems seedy to me (especially in that fire alarm area), but I'll admit I don't actually know law in the US. Still, I'm declaring shenanigans... ;)

And yeah, chaotix, quit, move out... I dunno, find a friend you can move in with temporarily... Just remove yourself from the whole deal.

allegro
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
At this point, it appears that the fire alarm issue is hearsay. The elevator (correctly) stops working when the fire alarm is disabled. The employee didn't make the next logical leap; you can't have a disabled elevator in a building for very long, or there will be complaints by your customers and possibly calls made to the fire department. The checks and balances are already in place. But her moral judgment was: "getting fired worse than no fire alarm." (And, really, I question the ability to disable a fire alarm forever. Maybe temporarily, but for all we know the owner was making some calls to the repair people; something he may not have bothered to pass on to the employee, since he has no obligation to inform his employees of every thing he does to manage his business.)

And the other employee joked, "too busy to do it [prepare documents] the legal way" implying that the boss was doing something "illegal," which does not seem to be the case This sounds like typical employee bitching, to me.

The thing with the hotel review is total overkill, as the guy could put false reviews on various sites without paying for it. Happens all the time. That's why you shouldn't completely trust opinions on the internet. (I'm looking at you, Yelp and Trip Adviser.)

This all sounds like average business practice in the U.S. and our friend, Chaotix, is still wet behind the ears and is only now seeing that, gee, the business world sure is a seedy shitty place. Yes, Toto, you aren't in Kansas, anymore. But, none of that is, technically, illegal. You should work in real estate for a few months, or divorce law. You'd disinfect yourself.

Chaotix, I just hope you don't have bed bugs in your clothes.

Stereo75
01-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Ok, long ago I printed out (for free) all of the With Teeth lithographs, up until NIN started using the war motif. Each one is printed in greyscale & on 8.5x11 regular paper. I want to mount them in groups, on thin sheets of wood & am wondering if anyone here has experience in homemade 'mounting'. I'm almost contemplating decoupage - how 80's!:p

Any advice? Thanks.

halloween
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Anyone have anything to say about Denver, Colorado?

Warped_Savant
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
It's probably my favorite city to fly in to... Never visited the city, just used it as a lay-over point a few times.

the duder
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Sooo...

I'm back at looking into buying a new computer. Definitely Apple, but debating whether pulling the trigger on a MacBook Pro (15") or a 21.5" iMac (and waiting 2-3 weeks for it to be back in stock).

Thoughts?

sukey
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Is there any point telling someone (one of your best friends) that you're in love with them if you're like 99.9% sure they don't feel the same way?

Highly Psychological
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
What is the best site to watch films online. A site that has links to the latest released films, not just blockbusters, and has links to many older films too? Where you dont have to pay. They dont have to be the best quality.

Have not watched films online much in recent years, im very 5 years ago remember the whole TV Links ALLUC era and those sites seem to have gone to shit.

I know MegaVideo is not around anymore. But if anyone has any links or sites.

Conan The Barbarian
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Sooo...

I'm back at looking into buying a new computer. Definitely Apple, but debating whether pulling the trigger on a MacBook Pro (15") or a 21.5" iMac (and waiting 2-3 weeks for it to be back in stock).

Thoughts?

I would take the money you are going to waste on a Mac and get yourself a super computer. Just sayin

Tony
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes. Do it. Even if it's awkward, it'll be better than not doing it at all and wondering for the next few years if anything could have happened.

cahernandez
01-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Yes. Do it. Even if it's awkward, it'll be better than not doing it at all and wondering for the next few years if anything could have happened.

I am in a similar situation, but this girl (one of my best friends) is in a different country. Should I still have a go at telling her my feelings, even if I'm 99% sure that she wouldn't feel the same way?

Big Fat Matt
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
I am in a similar situation, but this girl (one of my best friends) is in a different country. Should I still have a go at telling her my feelings, even if I'm 99% sure that she wouldn't feel the same way?

i am so glad i am not the only one who is in this situation.

Dra508
01-31-2013, 10:33 PM

If you are there for at least 24 hours, drink a lot of water. Altitude can sap you.

Fixer808
01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
"Is it true we have to bring our own water?"
"If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back."

Big Fat Matt
01-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Chicago. What are some good CHEAP places for 3 metalheads and 1 pretentious asshole to eat at?

dont say "mcdonalds is cool, so is BK" i can get that shit in MI. give me a nice hole-in-the-wall mom&pop diner. we LOVE those places, and those places love us. TRUST me, we are THOSE people.

Fixer808
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Chicago. What are some good CHEAP places for 3 metalheads and 1 pretentious asshole to eat at?

dont say "mcdonalds is cool, so is BK" i can get that shit in MI. give me a nice hole-in-the-wall mom&pop diner. we LOVE those places, and those places love us. TRUST me, we are THOSE people.
Let Triple D and Man Vs Food (http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/loc_IL_Chicago.html) answer it for you:

halloween
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
If you are there for at least 24 hours, drink a lot of water. Altitude can sap you.

Hah, well I'm going to be there for 10 months! I will definitely keep that in mind. Although I'll be spending a few months away, in other states probably. (AmeriCorps.)

Dra508
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Hah, well I'm going to be there for 10 months! I will definitely keep that in mind. Although I'll be spending a few months away, in other states probably. (AmeriCorps.)Well, shit I must have missed your post in Outbursts! Congrats on getting a spot.

halloween
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Well, shit I must have missed your post in Outbursts! Congrats on getting a spot.

Thank you! I'll be leaving in about a week- can't wait to get this rolling =]

dlb
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Is there any point telling someone (one of your best friends) that you're in love with them if you're like 99.9% sure they don't feel the same way?

That's a tough one, but if you're really in love and not 100% sure that the response will be negative, then step up and go for it! But at first ask yourself whether it is easier for you to live with the already mentioned fact of never knowing if it could have worked out and maybe seeing that person get together with someone else or stepping away from that friendship if the answer is "no". Both thing will hurt, but the feeling you will get if the answer is "yes" is one of the best things in life and I would try to get it even if there is only the slightest chance. ;)

themethatyouknow
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Portillos. It's a chain, but a small one that's pretty much only in Chicago. Best hot dogs you'll ever have and very reasonably priced to boot. The italian beef sandwiches are good too.

Try the ginger miso soup at Taki on Colfax. It's excellent and also the best way to get over a cold if you get sick.

The art museum is worth a look around and it's free on the first Saturday of each month for residents.

And you should definitely catch a concert at Red Rocks. Best venue in the country.

slave2thewage
03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Anyone got any tips for removing cat hair from clothing? I love my cat dearly, but he seems to shed a lot (had him since birth and this is his first winter-spring shedding season) and his hair is getting on literally EVERYTHING.

allegro
03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Lots of lint rollers !

jessamineny
03-03-2013, 09:58 AM
You can try putting your clothes through the dryer first before laundering them -- I've heard that gets more hair off than just a normal wash/dry cycle.

Merse
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
So, I'm going to be moving to Los Angeles in the next month or so, is there anywhere I should avoid? Also, any good studio or efficiency apartment listings I should know about? Thanks!

wizfan
04-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I am portraying the baddie in a webseries and I'm supposed to have this annoying, high-pitched voice. The problem is, I don't know how to do it without damaging my voice. I want it to have this nasal sound, but it hurts my vocal chords. I've practiced diaphragmatic breathing for years, but I can't do this kind of voice through my diaphragm. Please, help?

Baphomette
04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
So, I'm going to be moving to Los Angeles in the next month or so, is there anywhere I should avoid? Also, any good studio or efficiency apartment listings I should know about? Thanks!Check out listings in Highland Park and Eagle Rock. A lot of people who used to live in Silverlake before it became infested with hipsters and expensive migrated there (if my apartment wasn't rent-controlled, I probably would've moved there, too). What neighborhoods are you considering?

Merse
04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Check out listings in Highland Park and Eagle Rock. A lot of people who used to live in Silverlake before it became infested with hipsters and expensive migrated there (if my apartment wasn't rent-controlled, I probably would've moved there, too). What neighborhoods are you considering? Well, I was trying to transfer to Culver City or downtown(Westlake), but apparently Target HR moves on geological time, so I'm still waiting. But I've also put in for a promotion, so now I have no idea what neighborhood I'll be in, or if I'll be staying in Sacramento after all. Ugh.

Baphomette
04-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Well, I was trying to transfer to Culver City or downtown(Westlake), but apparently Target HR moves on geological time, so I'm still waiting. But I've also put in for a promotion, so now I have no idea what neighborhood I'll be in, or if I'll be staying in Sacramento after all. Ugh.Back in the late '80s/early '90s, Westlake was heroin central and, although it has definitely improved, it's still a little... sketchy. It's one of the most populated areas in LA (think of a frenzied anthill) and predominantly Latino. It's certainly affordable but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've lived in similar neighborhoods before. Also, bedbugs. Like, MEGA infestations. Some buildings just can't get rid of them.

Merse
04-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Yikes! Well, thanks for the info. I just applied to some openings in Ventura County, so that looks decent...but once again, this is all contingent on me getting the job. I really appreciate your help! :)

the duder
04-17-2013, 01:02 PM
This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
1.) What type of guitar should I be looking at? Acoustic or electric?
2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
3.) How dafuq did you do it?

sukey
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
1. If you're going to be playing alone I think acoustic is probably more fun. Electric requires more kit and investment and always having a plug.
2. I wouldn't define myself as musically inclined but I used a lot of online tabs and tried to learn simple stuff at first (just a few chords) that still sounded good as a beginner (one example would be Cash's Hurt cover). That way you don't feel so shit and you're less likely to give up.
3. It seems you already know it but patience. It can be so frustrating at first, but with practice, it will click, and it will be worth it.

allegro
04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
My husband has, like, 15 guitars and has been playing for nearly 40 years. He told ME to start with acoustic. I tried. MY FUCKING FINGERS HURT A LOT. I guess you eventually build callouses on the fret hand, but until then ... PREPARE FOR PAIN. You can learn to play guitar via YouTube videos if you just want to start with tabs (which is the cheating way to read music).

pigpen
05-16-2013, 09:11 PM

I'd look into an acoustic, they're more fun for long hours of noodling, especially if those long hours are spreading into the later evening!
I am completely self-taught. My advice is to think about some songs you've always wanted to learn how to play, and slowly start picking
them apart, you'll be familiar enough with them to know what they're supposed to sound like.

Here's a question...
My bandmates are planning a move into Madison, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to move with them. I kind of feel like the little idiosyncrasies amongst us will be amplified by a million and it was hurt the band.. Plus, I really like my job and I'm hesitant to leave it..

What should I do!?

Conan The Barbarian
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
You gotta think about if being in that band or in any other is worth it.

Being in a serious band takes dedication.

Big Fat Matt
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
One of my favorite bands ever has asked me to do "back-up yelling, the lights that Dan (the lights guy) cant figure out, and fuck shit up." im like, super scared. i love this fucking band so much, but im afraid that i may put on a lame show.

also, i dont have a good scream-singing voice.

edit: wow, band questions galore, lol

pigpen
05-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Well, I've been in this band for a while now, and I've come to conclusion that it's not something I'm very serious about
since I'm not in love with the music we play, and I told them that.. They know, but I think it's just something they ignored
when I said it.
BUT, in general, and in spite of their daydreaming, it's not a SERIOUS band. I've just been thinking that maybe moving in with them would
put some strain on our relationship as bandmates. Plus, i'm a 28yr old who's never had roomates, and the idea of stuffing everything into a bedroom...well that just sucks.

BUT, I'd like to move from where I am, and there moving to Madison, which would be cool. I'm torn!

BFM, what band is it!? Are they screamy vocals or do you have to like...be good at singing!?

Beef of the Sea
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
I have to go to Logan, Utah and St. Petersburg,Florida for a week each in August.
I've never been to either before, and just wondering if there are any awesome distractions / national parks / whatever that I should go and see?
Will probably give myself an extra week to do stuff, so should have plenty of time.

Thanks in advance <3

Fixer808
07-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Stop here on the way back, we'll get trashed.

Beef of the Sea
07-15-2013, 05:31 AM
You know, that's a fucking good idea.

Fixer808
07-15-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm like a life coach for people who make poor decisions, helping them make poorer ones.

Beef of the Sea
07-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Not so much an enabler, more like an enhancer.

Fixer808
07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Custom title updated.

Big Fat Matt
07-15-2013, 09:44 PM
BFM, what band is it!? Are they screamy vocals or do you have to like...be good at singing!?

Skill is not required. It's feedback driven punk-metal.

The way it looks now is that they're getting a new lights guy also, and "backup screaming" duties are being assigned to him. We had a sitdown, (a pow-ow even) and the band and I decided that my presence (6'5", 320ish lbs) is more valuable as a fan, and as an "inside hype man" than tied to a microphone, or with any 'official' affiliation with the band.

BIG UPSIDE: i can wear the bands shirts at shows and NOT be a douche. No one likes the band that wears its own shirt at a show.

rhet
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Has anyone ever done a home exchange where you stay in someone else's flat in another city and they stay in yours for a cheap holiday? I'm looking at going to Berlin but I hate staying in shitty hotels and can't afford nice ones. Obviously a bit worried about letting strangers loose in my flat but I guess the other party will have the same concerns..

Big Fat Matt
08-14-2013, 11:37 PM
does ANYONE still do the punk rock, vest-covered-in-patches deal anymore?

pigpen
08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
does ANYONE still do the punk rock, vest-covered-in-patches deal anymore?

There's still tons of punks(punx) out there, it's just not "cool" to be a punk anymore, so you don't see it as much..
Short answer, yah.

Big Fat Matt
08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
i started wearing one about 8 months ago, and have since seen maybe a dozen or so people follow suit. i think i may have preformed CPR on a fad. i feel special.

Pillfred
08-15-2013, 10:01 PM
My buddy has a pretty bitchen jean jacket he's covered in patches and such. Other than him i have seen a few kids around town sporting that look, though from what i have seen most of the kids here do the skinny jean semi-full blown hipster thing.

Big Fat Matt
08-15-2013, 10:32 PM
my non work dress is

american flag bandana
band or sport team t-shirt
vest (i have two. one for winter, one for summer, lol)
shorts (year round)
beat up drawn on chuck taylor high tops or my Doc Martens.

i think im the most punk rock dude to ever live in my city.

Bokononist
08-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Is there a name for thoughts that turn into seemingly audible voices when you're semiconscious?

Warped_Savant
08-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Is there a name for thoughts that turn into seemingly audible voices when you're semiconscious?
Aren't those just called "thoughts"?

Doesn't everyone hear their thoughts in various voices?

Bokononist
08-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Aren't those just called "thoughts"?

Doesn't everyone hear their thoughts in various voices?

I would think sneezing on a bright day would be called a sneeze but there's a more specific term for it. Audible is the qualifier for my question. It's a state similar to falling asleep while watching TV but in your head. If you're being serious on that last part, no. My thoughts, if I have to put a voice to them which is odd to me outside of a daydream, are using my tone and cadence. Although, I guess it's more of my speech pattern following my thoughts.

Warped_Savant
08-24-2013, 08:59 AM
I would think sneezing on a bright day would be called a sneeze but there's a more specific term for it. Audible is the qualifier for my question. It's a state similar to falling asleep while watching TV but in your head. If you're being serious on that last part, no. My thoughts, if I have to put a voice to them which is odd to me outside of a daydream, are using my tone and cadence. Although, I guess it's more of my speech pattern following my thoughts.
I was talking to my wife about this because, honestly, I thought that audibly hearing your thoughts was normal... I had to really think about it, but I realized that when I'm thinking about something I would say it's purely in my head, when I think about what someone else would say / am contemplating something with an internal monologue, I audibly hear it in my ears.

Until 3 days ago, I thought this was perfectly normal...

Pillfred
08-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Was considering the idea of getting a roommate. It would involve me moving as I'm currently living in a tiny hovel. It is pretty nice rent is cheap landlord is cool but arty the same time it is pretty damn small. Also I kind of want a change. A buddy said I could move in with him and his lady at their house as they have a spare room which I am considering. I've been on cl but it's mostly college kids and for the most part I don't want to deal with that. I did find a place that could be cool and end up costing me the pretty much the same. Idk maybe I'm just lonely, but it would be nice to get a change of scenery.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk 4

Fixer808
09-16-2013, 03:23 AM
What's this "Visitor messages" thing? I thought I had some PM's that were a few days old but... VM's?

The_Prowler
09-22-2013, 11:23 PM
As a professional musician, I might be able to help you out a little. Granted, I'm a drummer, but I'll do the best I can.

First, I agree with everyone who said to start with acoustic guitar. It's actually the exact same as me learning to play the snare drum in concert band before playing a full drum set; you have to learn to walk before you can run. Learn the basics and go from there. Besides, just because it's an acoustic doesn't mean you can't rock the shit out of it.
I was very lucky when it came to my musical education. I had many different teachers who all taught me different things, but I also started playing out live very young and early on, so I had a lot of seasoned musicians take me under their wing and try to teach me as well. Some of the most important lessons I ever learned didn't have anything to do with things to play on the drums; they were more "musical life lessons", as I call them. Things like "listen"... If you're playing with someone else, listen to what they're doing and play accordingly; don't just be off in your own little world and expect it to work.
Like I said, I had a few different instructors who taught me the skills I needed, but I always learned better by listening. I was terrible at learning from books. I'd much rather listen to something and learn it that way.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to go out and find an Open Mic night where you can play with other musicians. Once you're comfortable, of course. I didn't actually have that luxury... One of my teachers took me to one that he did and threw me behind the drums and said "go for it!" without any warning at all. That was the first time I ever played out in public, and it was terrible. But I kept going back and kept working at it and learning, which was the best thing for me to do.
Talk to people and ask them as many questions as you can, and play with as many different people and as many different things as you can. If you want it and work for it, it'll come to you eventually. I can almost guarantee it.

I hope some of this helped and wasn't too rambling. Good luck!

Halo Infinity
09-29-2013, 09:37 PM
My mind is occasionally filled with random general questions, so this thread can sometimes be perfect for me.

Aside from being drunk, why do people make silly poses and faces for pictures with friends? At this point... I've just become too self-conscious for that. I normally just stand still or sit there with a dead-pan expression on my face or a little smile tops. No offense to those of you that do it a lot with your friends, but as of now I just don't get it. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be funny, but they just come across more as awkward than funny most of the time to me.

Warped_Savant
09-30-2013, 07:28 PM
My mind is occasionally filled with random general questions, so this thread can sometimes be perfect for me.

Aside from being drunk, why do people make silly poses and faces for pictures with friends? At this point... I've just become too self-conscious for that. I normally just stand still or sit there with a dead-pan expression on my face or a little smile tops. No offense to those of you that do it a lot with your friends, but as of now I just don't get it. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be funny, but they just come across more as awkward than funny most of the time to me.
Best answer I can give for this:
You know those people that always look awkward in pictures? Yeah, they know it too. If they know they're going to look weird anyway, why not make it look like you're trying to look like an idiot rather than looking like an idiot because that's just how you look in pictures?

Halo Infinity
10-01-2013, 12:36 AM
For some reason, I actually didn't think about that. You even have people looking awkward with a straight face. I must've forgotten about that.

heroicraptor
10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Is it just me or are there other people that don't find Bandicoot Cucumberpatch attractive?

playwithfire
10-01-2013, 09:57 PM
I have a running theory that Bandersnatch Cumberbund and I are kind of the same kind of hot. Where our faces are weird but it hopefully works. That may be wishful thinking on my part. Also, I don't have that voice. :(

heroicraptor
10-01-2013, 09:58 PM
You're way hotter than he is. You're cute weird. He's weird weird.

playwithfire
10-01-2013, 10:05 PM
I mean, honestly as long as Benadryl Crimpysnitch keeps talking, I don't care. He can get it.

wizfan
10-02-2013, 06:20 AM
I will be portraying a magician in a play and I have to do some impressive stuff with a deck of cards. Can anyone recommend some cool and easy card tricks?

allegro
10-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Go to a magic shop; the cool and impressive card tricks use special decks.

The card tricks I know using a regular deck are far too involved for a stage during the course of a play.

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Are there ever and truly valid reasons to refuse to show your ID to the cops? I've seen videos on YouTube of people arguing about why they have the right to refuse to show their IDs, but the threat of getting arrested and incarcerated doesn't seem to be worth it at all. Even just seeing a few seconds of those types of videos make my skin crawl. Whenever I see them refuse to show the police their ID, it's as if they're saying, "Please arrest me!"

@allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) - I'd also think you'd have a lot of know-how on this question, considering that you work in law. Aren't you also a lawyer BTW? (Or worked with lawyers?)

allegro
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Kris Dunno, I don't do much criminal law. I think it's SMART to show ID to cops. Because, you know, they're cops.

eversonpoe
10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Are there ever and truly valid reasons to refuse to show your ID to the cops? I've seen videos on YouTube of people arguing about why they have the right to refuse to show their IDs, but the threat of getting arrested and incarcerated doesn't seem to be worth it at all. Even just seeing a few seconds of types of videos make my skin crawl. Whenever I see them refuse to show the police their ID, it's as if they're saying, "Arrest me! Please!"

kris, i have seen you ask a lot of questions on this board in various different places. i am now convinced that you are, in fact, an alien, attempting to assimilate into human culture. or you're real-life castiel from supernatural. either way, i'm glad you're around. :)

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 11:24 PM
@eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) - Thanks for the compliments, and that was the very first time I heard that. I've actually had friends compare me to Stan from South Park when it came to my questioning, or some hybrid between Elaine and Kramer from Seinfeld, but either way, it's always nice to feel welcome. :)

I'll still admit that some of my questions were/are over the top, TMI, or no-brainers sometimes, but that's also because I have so many thoughts/emotions going off at once, and I'd most likely be better off doing something productive IRL, or even going to sleep. All-nighters and sites like ETS sometimes go hand in hand. :p

And yeah, I see where you'd go with the alien part. I guess being a bit of an outsider for quite some time will inevitably do that to you. :p

allegro
10-02-2013, 11:26 PM
my husband is like this sometimes, and he reminds me of that scene in Home Alone where the kids are loading into the airport van and that neighbor kid is talking with the van driver.

"You guys going out of town? We're going to Orlando, Florida.
Well, actually, first we're going to Missouri to pick up my grandma.
Do you know that the McCalisters are going to France?
Do you know if it's cold there?
Do you know if these vans get good mileage?"

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 11:36 PM
What a coincidence as that scene instantly reminded me of my childhood. Oh yes, I was definitely that kind of kid all right. :D

Yoshata
10-03-2013, 01:56 AM
My mom and I have used "Do these vans get good gas mileage?" as a non-sequitur in the past. Love that movie. :)

dlb
10-03-2013, 05:49 AM
kris, i have seen you ask a lot of questions on this board in various different places. i am now convinced that you are, in fact, an alien, attempting to assimilate into human culture. or you're real-life castiel from supernatural. either way, i'm glad you're around. :)

This exactly! I actually want to reply to you Kris, more often, but I tend to overthink shit aswell as soon as I sit down. Alot of the time I'm like: "His he really asking that? god damn!", but you know what? Although I facepalm in the most positive way I like the fact that you are actually keen on getting answers and want to live a better life and have a better understanding of things. It's though to get there for some, but in fact it's quite easy when you are where you want to be and look back and realize: there's not much to it. I did struggle alot in the past, but not overthinking and just doing while listening to your guts is what got me far in the end. Friends, jobs and the girls. Still things won't come with a single flick of the finger, but they sometimes do if you keep pushing. So yeah, come and get them, you crazy being from space! They are all waiting! ;)

Halo Infinity
10-03-2013, 08:14 AM
This exactly! I actually want to reply to you @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) , more often, but I tend to overthink shit aswell as soon as I sit down. Alot of the time I'm like: "His he really asking that? god damn!", but you know what? Although I facepalm in the most positive way I like the fact that you are actually keen on getting answers and want to live a better life and have a better understanding of things.
Wow, now that truly is a first for me. It's all good and understood, but yeah, when you did that, you might've caught some questions I've written when I felt out of it, or questions I didn't really think through, especially before I deleted them. It just goes back to why I think it's only better to post when I'm feeling happy and comfortable. I don't blame you for thinking that even at the slightest, because even I do that to myself, and at least you said in the most positive way, so that just can't be a thing.

I will also admit that some of my questions were rhetorical, hypothetical, or just to see what other people think as I've had a habit of comparing things. However, I can see more and more why some people don't like those types of questions. And in some cases, I really am unaware of how many social components work. (Which would make me understand why some people would think or even ask me why in the hell would I ask such questions as I've had people tell me stuff like that IRL.)

dlb
10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
You don't have to appologize and I did not mean to sound harsh. Quite honestly, it takes some balls to ask. Most people will lock themselves up and dwell on their shit thinking all that is happening to them is inevitable and a punishment from god. You don't do that and it's great! I just want to point out that you shouldn't worry too much. You WILL look back and ask yourself: Why did it matter back then? I can guarantee that!

Piko
10-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Shooting in Washington... Here come thr crazies.

Dra508
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Shooting in Washington... Here come thr crazies.Is this a question?

Piko
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Statement. It's on the news now. At the gym, so I kept the post kinda minimal. Figured it'd be posted sooner than later.

pigpen
10-05-2013, 10:19 PM
So, I'm wondering if it was posted on the old ETS, but either way..

There was an art/artist thread that I believe October_Midnight started wherein there were prints of weird glowing deer/elk-like creatures
on people's roofs, standing in the woods, etc...
Anyone have any information as to what I'm talking about? I should PM O_M...

In addition to this, I'm looking to expand my art/print collection past the few nine inch nails lithos I have, any suggestions? I'm looking for
something contemporary and kind of hinged on the darker side of things...

Fixer808
10-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Statement. It's on the news now. At the gym, so I kept the post kinda minimal. Figured it'd be posted sooner than later.
Have you tried the news part of the forum...?

pigpen
10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
So, is this normal?
Today I was thinking that if a person pulled a gun on me and demanded my wallet.. I'd say no.
I've been feeling like my life up to this point has been a pretty big disappointment to me and probably my family as well.
I have no career path, no romantic prospects, dwindling confidence, etc.. And I've spent my entire life fighting through
shitty relationships that have reaffirmed what I've always thought in the back of my mind. That I'm probably honestly
not good enough for people to see me worthy of investing in..
So, while I'm absolutely not suicidal.. I don't think I'd really try to save my life by giving up the wallet..

Big Fat Matt
10-29-2013, 09:48 PM
So, is this normal?
Today I was thinking that if a person pulled a gun on me and demanded my wallet.. I'd say no.
I've been feeling like my life up to this point has been a pretty big disappointment to me and probably my family as well.
I have no career path, no romantic prospects, dwindling confidence, etc.. And I've spent my entire life fighting through
shitty relationships that have reaffirmed what I've always thought in the back of my mind. That I'm probably honestly
So, while I'm absolutely not suicidal.. I don't think I'd really try to save my life by giving up the wallet..
i have had the same thoughts, and i feel the same way.

Dra508
10-29-2013, 10:42 PM
So, is this normal?

You're depressed and you need to get help. Sitting home alone doesn't help either. You are of value. I can remember you posting really happy pictures of yourself. You're Ina bad spot and you are the one that can bring you back to telling the dude with the gun to fuck off, you want to live. You need to reach out for help. Drink less, get some activity in your life, even a walk around the block.

You too Big Fat Matt

Pillfred
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
You're depressed and you need to get help. Sitting home alone doesn't help either. You are of value. I can remember you posting really happy pictures of yourself. You're Ina bad spot and you are the one that can bring you back to telling the dude with the gun to fuck off, you want to live. You need to reach out for help. Drink less, get some activity in your life, even a walk around the block.

You too Big Fat Matt

This. I've been on that fence about as far back as I can remember. It took me a long time to figure it out. It's also the reason I work myself into the ground. I don't do well with free time. I should probably find better ways to deal with it but keeping busy with anything really seems to help.

I had been going to a counselor but haven't for a bit because I've been too busy lately. Though at the end of the month when I drop my other job because its just not feasible now that I'm moving I plan to go back. It is a weird mind fuck in a way but it helps.

I remember after me and my long term ex broke up I actually set an alarm to get out of my apartment and just so I wouldn't wallow the whole day before work. Even if it was just to get some coffee or whatever. Just getting out and about usually helped to break the monotony of burning holes in my brain.

I've more or less accepted this is how my brain is wired, but at least I kind of know how to bypass some of the circuitry. Also when I do get down or whatever I try not to dwell on it too much. I just accept that for however long, usually a day at most, I'll be a bit of a crabby patty, and it will pass. I by no means have it licked but I find it helpful.

pigpen
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
To be honest, just writing that out helped..
I was in an alright mood today, which hasn't been the case in a while. I kind of feel lost, though.
Like, without a purpose or role in the world around me.. I'm just some guy, and maybe that's normal and I should
be happy to be where I am, but I have no context for that, I'm simply suffering in the thought that I should be
more than this.
I've also found that answers like "Aww man, don't worry about it, lots of people blah blah blah" do nothing for me
since it's so painfully clear that we're all going through life alone, in our own heads, having our own experiences,
expecations, etc. I find that kind of isolation overwhelming, but in a strange way, kind of comforting..

Khrz
10-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah, people trying to help but comparing your situation to others' never, ever helps. And I also, believe that we are fundamentally alone, which is why sharing and talking is so fucking important.

But get help man, sort shit out. Because very few are suicidal until one evening they just want to turn the whole world off. There are reasons why you feel like that, and you can postpone the next wave, but it will come back forever, it's a tide.

Really, call for help, sort it out, get it off your chest and start to examine it like the nasty parasite that it is.

pigpen
10-30-2013, 04:25 PM
That's kind of an issue for me. Not knowing what "it" is, where it comes from, or how to deal with it.
I push people away, isolate myself because my past has kind of shown me that they're going to leave
anyway, so why put myself in that position.
I once heard a comedian say that if the first 30 years of someone's life have been shitty, chances are
that THAT'S how it's going to be.. I laughed, but on the inside I completely sunk. Like my life had just
had the curtains closed, and my path laid out before me.. Like, Yep, you know how it's been so far, and
chances are it's going to remain that way..
I KNOW I have the ability to change things, and yada yada yada, but sometimes, isn't it just going to be
true? You know, like, maybe not everyone is good enough to find someone to share their lives with..
I know that's hopelessly sad and depressed, and it's not something I'm convinced of, but I mean, there's
a possibility of that.. and it scares me.

I'll be completely honest, I know exactly what the issue is, I always have. I'm fat, hairy, constantly sweating, etc.. Everything
society bags on. And that has completely crippled me.
Sorry to totally fucking derail this thread with this.. I just feel good writing this SOMEWHERE...

Pillfred
10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Had a long response but tapatalk owned my ass.

I can relate in my own way. Though I've been lucky to have spent time relationship wise with a couple amazing women. Both times were after I'd kinda wrote that possibility off. I'm still not sure but I'm no longer completely despondent on the issue.

You just need to summon the rock fury present in the pic's you put up. As cliche as it sounds confidence is key. Some lady would be into what you got going on. And really most dudes are probably pretty nasty in their own way. My trouble is now that I'm seemingly more attractive to the ladies is that I'm not sure how to respond.

Also my minimalist lifestyle choices plauge me, as as long as I have a roof over my head and my few meager possessions I'm good. To be clear I don't currently drive, have a tiny efficiency with minimal furniture, and other than a stack of books not much else. All of which have been challenged these last couple years. It's really about being a good person and not so much a "good guy." if that makes sense.

I've found most people who stay alone choose to. Either way you choose own it. My mom never really had any long relationships that I remember and she told me it was her choice, I don't agree it was the best but she seems OK with it. I thought I could do the same but I'd rather not. Like I told a friend a while back, if a bridge troll such as myself can find intermittent success anyone can.

That's the jist of what I had the first time. Shit sucks and I'm by no means out the black, but now that I'm older I have more experience and less fucks to give. So its easier to put into perspective, but that's where I basically was a good part of my life up into my twenties. And really just until these last couple years after me and the ex broke up. Kind of no hope no fear deal.

Dra508
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I'll be completely honest, I know exactly what the issue is, I always have. I'm fat, hairy, constantly sweating, etc.. Everything
society bags on. And that has completely crippled me.
.Don't let your physical attributes rule your world. If you know that some are bad, take that one step to change that. Then another then another. If you look at it as this big giant mountain to climb, you'll never take the first step.

And yes, pretty much derailed the random thread. Way to go dude :)

Pillfred
10-30-2013, 07:16 PM
So how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tutsy pop?

Sad I know but hey I'm trying... ;)

Warped_Savant
10-30-2013, 07:48 PM

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/mychannel957.com/files/2013/08/Tootsie-Pop-Licked.jpg

Halo Infinity
10-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Mr. Owl said 3. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw

The_Prowler
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Mr. Owl said 3. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw
Mr. Owl is a lying liar who tells filthy lies.

Also, he cheated.

Warped_Savant
10-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Mr. Owl is a lying liar who tells filthy lies.

Also, he cheated.
He only cheated to hid the fact that he can't count past 3.

That being said, he's an owl. The fact that he can even count to three is still pretty impressive...

The_Prowler
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
He only cheated to hid the fact that he can't count past 3.

That being said, he's an owl. The fact that he can even count to three is still pretty impressive...
You make a striking point. I'm still surprised he didn't attack that kid, or at least smack his wings against the kid's head and then shit on him or something.

Owls are savage bastards, is what I'm saying. But they're still not nearly as bad as cats.

Halo Infinity
11-03-2013, 07:51 PM
I thought of just getting this question out there. What exactly does this quote mean? It is really referring to just having a sense of humor and being laid back? I hope so, because a DUI or having unprotected sex and catching an STD or ending up with an unwanted child sounds like anything but something to be happy about in the long-run. Oh, and please pardon me, as I sometimes have a problem with taking things too seriously and literally.

If you don't do stupid things when you're young, you won't have anything to smile about when you get old.

allegro
11-03-2013, 09:00 PM
It means that we all do stupid things when we're young, and at least we'll be able to laugh, later.

I'll give you personal examples:

* When I was 4, I pretended to be a trapeze artist and I got the playground swing to go real high and then I jumped off. I broke my left arm in 3 places. I had a cast for a year. Doc said no cartwheels in a cast, I didn't listen and learned to do one-handed cartwheels.

* When I was 8, I was slippery-sliding on ice with classmates on the playground during recess. I fell and my head bounced off the ice like a melon. I was knocked unconscious. The school called mom to come pick me up. I was mad because I got to go home, then, but I didn't get to go home when a wasp stung me in the face during recess while I was watching some boys throw rocks at a wasp nest.

* When I was 9, I was on roller skates and doing Shoot The Duck under saw horses in Grandma's garage. I fell and fractured my right wrist and had a cast for 3 months.

* When I was 14, I was trying to do hockey stops on figure skates. I hit a chunk of ice and flew into the air and landed on my chin. I thought I was okay until my friend started screaming OH MY GOD YOU'RE BLEEDING

* When I was 15, I was riding on the sidewalk on my 10-speed bike, no-handed, early morning on my way to school, (I can still ride no-handed), my arms loaded with books. A neighbor had (unbeknownst to me) edged his lawn. My front wheel caught the edge between lawn and sidewalk and the bike ... stopped. I kept going, Over the handlebars. Books scattered. Oddly enough, I was not injured at all.

* When I was 16, I was driving mom's MG Midget with mom in car, on our way to Grandma's. I took a corner too fast and put the car into a ditch. A nice farmer came by and pulled us out with his tractor. Car was unscathed. Mom laughed THEN.

I could go on and on ... My family and I laugh about all this stuff but, really, it's a wonder my mom didn't have a heart attack :-). BUT I SURVIVED!! I'm still a daredevil, but in a much smarter way. Even with two wooden sticks strapped to my feet while hurtling myself down an ice-covered mountain.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/04/usuvypy9.jpg

LOVEANDZOMBIES
11-07-2013, 04:08 AM
Not sure if this is the place for this but, does anyone know of any movies or shows (specific episodes) where someone gets a big gaping hole in the chest that can be seen through? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I need it for school (PS class).

orestes
11-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Shaun of the Dead, for starters.

rhet
11-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Death Becomes Her..i loved that movie as a kid (which seems odd now watching a trailer for it)

eversonpoe
11-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Death Becomes Her..i loved that movie as a kid (which seems odd now watching a trailer for it)

i re-watched it last year with my fiancee and our friend, both of whom had never seen it, and it holds up surprisingly well. i mean, it's completely ridiculous, but it's also fantastic.

rhet
11-07-2013, 08:33 AM
i re-watched it last year with my fiancee and our friend, both of whom had never seen it, and it holds up surprisingly well. i mean, it's completely ridiculous, but it's also fantastic.

Yeah I really want to rewatch it now cause I'm sure loads of it was over my head watching it as a kid.

Big Fat Matt
11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
stay at where i work, where i have respect and decent play, but cut all of my hair off (the same hair i want to donate)

OR

get a new job, and sign up for school which i have been procrastinating for months because i fear nothing more than change.

frankie teardrop
11-07-2013, 04:50 PM

this definitely holds up. i love robert zemeckis.

redshoewearer
11-14-2013, 02:18 PM
So what do you do when someone (um my teacher) is pronouncing a word differently than I always learned (and heard others in the same field say), when you have a question and need to say the word? It is the word 'Poisson' relating to Poisson process. He says it like 'poison' like in English, but I've always heard teachers say it like you would in French, when it means the word for fish. I want to ask him something, so do I have to say it wrong the way he says it? If I say it the way I always learned it, it looks like I'm showing him he says it wrong. Awkward.

Khrz
11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
That's a tough one, since foreign last names are always tricky like that. Nobody agrees about them, either you sound like a silly elitist if you pronounce it with it's original accent, either you slaughter it by "translating" it. You are fundamentally correct, but would you do the same with an Indian name, or an Arabic one ?
As I said, it's tricky. I guess you can keep on pronouncing it the way you want without looking like an ass though.

icklekitty
12-11-2013, 06:52 AM
What does one buy a 16 year old for Christmas? I have about £30 to spend and want to be "cool older cousin" without rotting her brain.

Dra508
12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
What does it mean when a person's speech pattern always is to fade out and sort of mumble the last sentence he says?

playwithfire
12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Learned habit. People do tons of dumb things with their speech just from habit.

Halo Infinity
12-11-2013, 10:13 AM
@allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) - I actually forgot that I left that question up there, as I've posted it and deleted it multiple times. Thanks for helping me out on that, as it was actually one of my guesses. I also suppose it was a bit hard for me to understand, or relate to at first because I tend to be hard on myself from time to time. It's good to see that you're able to laugh at yourself, since from the looks of it, it really does mean that you're okay with being yourself, and you as a person. I could definitely see that in you, however, I wouldn't have ever guessed that you were ever the daredevil type. I actually got the impression that you've always played it safe, with the exception of this post, which I sort of forgot as well. (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2440-The-little-things-that-scare-depress-you?p=140192#post140192)

But yes, thank you for your response and examples overall. :)

Dra508
12-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Learned habit. People do tons of dumb things with their speech just from habit.Ahhhh. So, I guess pointing it out isn't going to offend the dude. It's hard enough understanding him through his accent, for it to fade and mumble at the end is even harder to comprehend.

ryanp16
12-11-2013, 01:49 PM
What does one buy a 16 year old for Christmas? I have about £30 to spend and want to be "cool older cousin" without rotting her brain.

Depends on what kind of 16 year old we're talking about, really. Music is always good.

eversonpoe
12-11-2013, 04:44 PM

make her a mix. seriously. it probably won't take that long, and most people appreciate gifts that are made more than gifts that are bought.

i know i wouldn't be the same or have the same taste in music if it weren't for the few people in my life that were like older siblings/cousins who gave me amazing mixes when i was in high school.

Halo Infinity
12-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Did anybody else notice that Internet forums didn't seem to catch on with people that were born in the early 1990s, or even the mid to late 1990s? (Then again, I noticed that there were sort of more people from the early 1990s posting as soon as they turned 18-21+, but not back in the early to mid 2000s, or barely, if there were any.) The youngest people I've seen on most Internet forums were often born in the mid to late 1980s.

It really does seem like Internet forums also haven't caught on with people born in the mid to late 1990s as well, but they've mostly caught on with Facebook and Twitter. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but have you also noticed this? Perhaps Internet forums were more of a big thing back in the early to mid 2000s.

icklekitty
12-27-2013, 04:04 AM
I hear a lot of people say that Internet forums died 10 years ago, even those currently over 30. I have to disagree with them.

Pillfred
12-29-2013, 01:58 AM
People are dumb. Forums, this being generally the only one I frequent, are imo a great source of information at times. Generally if I'm looking for something via googles problem wise, I try and find a forum post. Not just for that either... I can see how do to fb etc it may not get talked about much anymore but yeah, forums ftw!

allegro
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Did anybody else notice that Internet forums didn't seem to catch on with people that were born in the early 1990s, or even the mid to late 1990s? (Then again, I noticed that there were sort of more people from the early 1990s posting as soon as they turned 18-21+, but not back in the early to mid 2000s, or barely, if there were any.) The youngest people I've seen on most Internet forums were often born in the mid to late 1980s.

It really does seem like Internet forums also haven't caught on with people born in the mid to late 1990s as well, but they've mostly caught on with Facebook and Twitter. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but have you also noticed this? Perhaps Internet forums were more of a big thing back in the early to mid 2000s.
You have heard of Bulletin Board Systems, right? We were using them in the mid-80s. Using 2400 baud modems, LOL. For example (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_WELL).

Most of my own searches related to my hobbies or house remodeling or fix-it projects or computer or car issues end up being answered via a forum discussion somewhere. And I have never seen any indication of age, I'm not looking for that when I'm trying to find out if I can re-caulk only a small section of a granite counter and not the whole thing or how to unconstipate my print spooler in Windows 7 or if I can plant arborvitae in a semi-shady area with wet soil or if anybody else has had problems with the restraint system warning going off all the time in the new BMW X3s.

I think most World of Warcraft Forums defy your suggested demographic info.

Halo Infinity
12-29-2013, 05:21 PM
I was about to say ETS, but I also had to consider how long NIN was around, and how long both The NIN Hotline and ETS were around. And yes, I certainly have. I was always interested in how they were back then. (I also asked this because most people I've known have never bothered with forums in general, but most of them certainly do social networking sites.)

I also suppose I was wondering about this, because I kept reading and hearing claims that social networking sites killed off forums, but never actually believed that and wanted to see what other ETS members thought about those claims.

allegro
01-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Social networking sites and forums are two completely different (discussion) animals, primarily because very little real "discussion" happens on the former.

Merse
03-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Hey, my fellow ETS-ers, I need your help. I'm moving to Los Angeles in about a month
and I need to know where NOT to look for apartments and such. I've only been to Simi
Valley, Ventura, Moorpark, and so forth, so I haven't seen where not to live.
Thanks for any advice! :)

pigpen
04-02-2014, 08:25 PM
So, I work at the same place with my mother.
She had been doing a relatively easy job for quite some time now, which was great because she has a few herniated discs in her back
and is generally not the springiest of chickens.. A new boss came in, got rid of one of the positions, and put most of that work on my mom.
and she's fucking miserable. So, I'm wondering how I could help alleviate some of that..
I've looked over her schedule, and when i'm working I plan on skipping the 2 10min breaks I get and helping her with her shit, but ultimately
I don't think she'll last long in this new position. So, how does one help their parents out in this type of situation? I suggested she go down to
part time, just enough to cover the cost of her insurance, but she doesn't seem to want to do that...

I think in the very near future I may have to move in with her, so she can retire.. I know this isn't a great "question" and may be a little all over the place
but it's really weighing on me, and stressing me the fuck out.. I hate to see her struggle.

Pillfred
04-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Any one familiar with Medford OR, giving some thought to moving there in the fall. This winter pretty much destroyed my cold tolerance. :) That and I'm getting tired of living here.

ophelia_
04-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Is there a right way to eat a banana in front of male colleagues?

Ryan
04-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Sideways..

eversonpoe
04-23-2014, 12:46 PM

by staring at them like you're going to bite off their junk the way you bite off pieces of the banana...

idunno, i hate bananas. popsicles, on the other hand, i like those...

Sarah K
04-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Stare them right in the eyes.

playwithfire
04-23-2014, 06:13 PM

This is the only way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8u2RNXknbQ

ophelia_
04-23-2014, 06:30 PM
popsicles, on the other hand, i like those...

Now I'm thinking about this scene from Jawbreaker...

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r4vpKYLA1r36r0wo1_500.gif

eversonpoe
04-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Now I'm thinking about this scene from Jawbreaker...

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r4vpKYLA1r36r0wo1_500.gif

you should see the things i can do with a popsicle...makes me sad i've had so few experiences with cocks... ;)

how do i always end up talking about sex OUTSIDE of the fucking thread?!?

ophelia_
04-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Yes... I think we should see the things you can do with a popsicle. (pics or it didn't happen, hurr hurr)

Eh, it's a talent. The guy I'm kinda seeing at the moment told me the other day that if I had a superpower, it would be turning normal conversation into something sexual. I guess you also share that superpower. Haha.

tony.parente
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
My car won't start and I think it may either be an issue with my starter or my battery. I was able to confirm the alternator DOES turn when it's starting so I don't think that's the issue. I put a video up on fb with me trying to start the car...any ideas you think? I haven't tried jumping it yet, i'll do that when I get home though. and when I let the car sit overnight the first time I try starting it, it sounds like the engine turns once or twice and then that sound kicks in again.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152122216232831

Big Fat Matt
05-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Well, being that the alt/generator is good, then starter is the next logical leap without having it hooked up to a diag computer. If i may ask, whats the year, model and engine size?