PDA

View Full Version : Autolux

joplinpicasso
12-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Again, a band I discovered through their opening stints for NIN. I love their vague, mysterious brand of art/noise rock, and how Carla's, Eugene's, and Greg's passive, post-modern personae fit their music perfectly.

Fuck, man, who waits six years for a second album?? They released Transit Transit last year, and while it wasn't the best of 2010, I believe it to be a far great leap forward than their amazing debut Future Perfect from 2004. And they've recently done a session with Daytrotter: http://www.daytrotter.com/?_escaped_fragment_=%2Fconcert%2Fautolux%2F2004040 3-3737389

As always, the inimitable "Reappearing", for fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmAjfq7HIs
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmAjfq7HIs)

Failure
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Was that Carla drumming for Jack White on SNL?!?

ltrandazzo
03-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm 95% sure it was because I just said the same thing a few minutes ago. Same haircut, same drum kit.

Failure
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Yeah, that was Carla. Her "posture" is unmistakable. Fuck, that has to be my favorite random-musically-related-TV appearance since Ken Andrews played lead guitar and sang backup for Chris Cornell on Leno (You Know My Name).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev25o3FTW-A

Zimbo
08-15-2012, 09:49 AM
New Autolux email update was sent out. The best part of the email:
Autolux have been in the studio recording a new record in Los Angeles.
Kenny Takahashi is co-producing the record with Autolux
as well as engineering the record. So looks like we will see a record in like, five years?

DVYDRNS
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Gonna go see these guys tonight. we so essited.

blackholesun
02-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Forgot how much I love these guys. Heard Future Perfect for the first time in a while today. I really wish I had paid them more attention the 3 times I saw them open for NIN back in the day. I haven't seen them since. Hopefully the new record drops this year and they get some touring in.

perceptionnexus
02-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Forgot how much I love these guys. Heard Future Perfect for the first time in a while today. I really wish I had paid them more attention the 3 times I saw them open for NIN back in the day. I haven't seen them since. Hopefully the new record drops this year and they get some touring in.

Lol just as long as it doesn't interrupt anything going on with Failure this year

StopRemembering
02-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Jack White is touring again this year, between Carla possibly being tied up with him & the possibility of Failure doing a full tour it seems unlikely we'll be getting anything from Autolux any time soon, at least performance-wise.

armogi
05-01-2015, 11:52 AM
looks like the band is resurfacing, I received an email from the mailing list last night, they are selling an (apparently) overpriced special edition of Future Perfect and they have a new website coming too, the website has some new instrumental music playing in the back, hopefully we'll get solid news sooner than later.

virushopper
05-01-2015, 12:42 PM
looks like the band is resurfacing, I received an email from the mailing list last night, they are selling an (apparently) overpriced special edition of Future Perfect and they have a new website coming too, the website has some new instrumental music playing in the back, hopefully we'll get solid news sooner than later.
If I see Greg tonight after the Failure gig I will ask him for ya.

dvdglss
05-01-2015, 12:51 PM
lucky bastard :P

perceptionnexus
05-01-2015, 12:58 PM

I got that email also about the website and vinyl. The package looks kinda cool, but I'm kinda tapped with $, and luckily I already have an earlier pressing of it on wax I'm content with.

I guess Failure is gonna be playing a bunch of new stuff tonight. I can't wait to hear the feedback from the show.

perceptionnexus
11-18-2015, 04:01 PM
New song "Soft Scene" streaming on today's episode of Morning Becomes Eclectic on KCRW. Around the 59 minute mark on the player.

I dunno......it's got some really cool elements to it, but I'm not at all into the bleep-boop electronic vibes they started toying with on the last album, and it looks like it's continuing here, or at least on this song.

armogi
11-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I agree this song is meh but at least they are alive, more to come soon hopefully.

Landshark
11-19-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't know about this. It sounds like a Thom Yorke remix of an Autolux song. Don't hear Greg or Eugene's presence at all.

henryeatscereal
11-19-2015, 12:53 PM
I had no idea this band was still alive, not sure how's the single but i'll listen after work, i wasn't crazy about "Transit Transit" but i rather have another album like that than no album at all...

botley
11-19-2015, 01:19 PM
This is AMAZING. I love when Carla sings and the song rocks my world! That dirrrrty bass at 2:02, that phat beat for the last minute or so... unprecedented for this band in some ways, but very very cool. Hope they tour and hit Canada this time!

perceptionnexus
11-19-2015, 02:09 PM
This is AMAZING. I love when Carla sings and the song rocks my world! That dirrrrty bass at 2:02, that phat beat for the last minute or so... unprecedented for this band in some ways, but very very cool. Hope they tour and hit Canada this time!

After a couple listens, I've determined that I don't like the song much, and want them to just go Future Perfect-style for the rest o' their days.

armogi
11-19-2015, 04:55 PM
better link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nwp5uMvvIU

botley
12-18-2015, 11:59 AM
If you are diggin' more on their old-school sound, then perhaps this track will be to your liking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InrOwXDR_wk

Landshark
12-18-2015, 12:19 PM
If you are diggin' more on their old-school sound, then perhaps this track will be to your liking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InrOwXDR_wk
I was trying to figure out why this sounded so familiar, finally realized - this is a new version of "Future Perfect" from the first EP.

http://youtu.be/Ltslt96jaHI

Exocet
12-18-2015, 12:41 PM
This is one of those bands if not for Trent going on and on about them i would never gotten into. I did not get them at all initially. I thought it sounded unremarkable... But then really gradually i could not stop listening to the album...Future Perfect is amazing..one of the best indie records of the mid 2000s.
You can definetly hear Future Perfects production influence on With Teeth.
It weird when you cant see what makes a band great..you need other people to make you persist with a band.

botley
12-18-2015, 03:27 PM
I was trying to figure out why this sounded so familiar, finally realized - this is a new version of "Future Perfect" from the first EP.

http://youtu.be/Ltslt96jaHI
Nice catch! This new version is going to be on the new Autolux album, too, according to their Facebook page.

Your Name Here
12-20-2015, 09:43 AM

perceptionnexus
01-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Pussy's Dead coming out April 1st. I'm guessing either the ballsiest album title of the year, or an early april fool's joke title with the album release on 4/1.

kel
01-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Pussy's Dead coming out April 1st. I'm guessing either the ballsiest album title of the year, or an early april fool's joke title with the album release on 4/1.

the facepalm was a complete accident (we really gotta find a way to reverse those).

april 1st *is* a friday (release day), so i hope not.

edit: we did!

botley
01-20-2016, 01:28 PM
It's real and it's spectacular.

kel
01-20-2016, 02:38 PM
"soft scene" is the tits. love the cover art, too.

dvdglss
01-22-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm so happy Reappearing is finally on an album... was so awesome live...

bobbie solo
01-31-2016, 10:18 PM
I will finally see them June 4th....in Spain...at Primavera Sound! Can't believe it. So excited.

tricil
03-25-2016, 10:37 AM
The new record is out today and amazing. Change my head is a classic already.

perceptionnexus
03-25-2016, 11:52 AM
I thought it didn't come out until next week. I'll give it a spin, but don't really have high expectations thus far. Soft Scene gives off a vibe to me that I'm not hip enough to fully relate to or understand it, and I didn't really like what they did to the original Future Perfect from the old demo. Will try and give it an objective listen, though

tricil
03-25-2016, 05:05 PM
I don't like Soft Scene either tbh. The stand out on the record is definitely Change My Head. Check that one out first.

perceptionnexus
03-25-2016, 05:11 PM
I don't like Soft Scene either tbh. The stand out on the record is definitely Change My Head. Check that one out first.

I mentioned that in my post from before. Change My Head formerly was (and in my book, still is) called Future Perfect. I've loved that song since I got that original demo CD from them back in 2001. I don't really like this new version "change my head" at all. I did hear that new song Brainwash or whatever today. Probably like that one best out of the 3 released so far.

rampface
03-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Where is the full thing?

kel
03-26-2016, 09:36 AM
on apple music or something (no). i'm waiting until next week.

EndlessLoveless
03-30-2016, 06:57 AM
I actually like the older version of change my head WAY better. Called Future Perfect from the Demonstration EP. I love Gregs voice but i think Eugene delivers it better and the music is more cohesive on the original.

Your Name Here
03-30-2016, 11:24 AM

armogi
03-30-2016, 06:33 PM
it's leaked now, I'm scared to listen to it, not very convinced by what i have heard so far.

TheyCallMeDrug
03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
sounds pretty solid to me. listening to the order and reappearing are great. looking forward to seeing them on tuesday.

armogi
03-30-2016, 09:38 PM
it is indeed solid, it works well as a whole.

dvdglss
04-01-2016, 11:30 AM
i liked it... only slightly disappointed that "reappearing" was not the full live version

pinata89
04-01-2016, 04:48 PM
"Becker" is such a great closing track. Prob my fav on the album

perceptionnexus
04-01-2016, 06:02 PM
"Becker" is such a great closing track. Prob my fav on the album

I just heard it today, and like it a lot more than I thought I would based on the preview tracks. I think it's about on the same level of overall enjoyability as Transit Transit, at least. Fav. tracks after first listen were "Selectallcopy" and "Becker" (which sadly puts an image in my head of Ted Danson, lol)

joplinpicasso
04-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I think I like this better than 'Transit Transit', as now that album seems like the bridge between 'Future Perfect' and this. They're in a different space than songs like "Sugarless", which makes total sense and I respect that. The sound is incredible and the message overall is pretty concise and sharp. Yes, "Change My Head" might have been a bit inferior to versions before, but it's a beautiful album and Eugene's closer is amazing.

botley
04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Anybody else seeing them at Lee's Palace on Thursday?

EndlessLoveless
04-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Yes this album is great. Went in wanting more of the guitar oriented Autolux but fuck, this is good. Selectallcopy is prob my fav.

Piko
04-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Pretty cool album. Not as strong as the first two, imo. Really like Selectallcopy and Change My Head.

perceptionnexus
04-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Yeah I had this in my car CD player for 2 days straight, and for me that's a really long time. I didn't like Soft Scene at all as a preview single, but hearing it in the context of the album I'm really into it now. Still prefer the original version of "Change my Head", but that's a minor grump.

I read a new interview with them, I guess Greg sings all the lead vocals on the album, except for the ones Carla does, of course. I think that's kinda cool. Not to slight Eugene or anything.

TheyCallMeDrug
04-04-2016, 09:22 PM
catching them tomorrow night in nyc. gonna be fuuuuuuun

botley
04-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Album of the year.

Piko
04-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah I had this in my car CD player for 2 days straight, and for me that's a really long time. I didn't like Soft Scene at all as a preview single, but hearing it in the context of the album I'm really into it now. Still prefer the original version of "Change my Head", but that's a minor grump.

I read a new interview with them, I guess Greg sings all the lead vocals on the album, except for the ones Carla does, of course. I think that's kinda cool. Not to slight Eugene or anything.

I could swear it sounds like Eugene on Selectallcopy.

thevoid99
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Album of the year.

For me right now, it's in the top 5. It's fucking incredible. Carla's drumming. Motherfucker. Aside from maybe Jon Theodore. Who is the best drummer working today?

perceptionnexus
04-05-2016, 10:26 PM
I could swear it sounds like Eugene on Selectallcopy.

Pretty sure it's Greg, though yeah I see your point. This was from the recent Reddit session. I was wondering for the life of me where I read this, took me a minute to remember.

Has your approach to writing music changed since Future Perfect? Have your roles in the band changed since then?

[–]autolux_autolux (https://www.reddit.com/user/autolux_autolux)[S (https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/49zpq0/hi_reddit_this_is_autolux_aua/)] 3 points 25 days ago
carla: yes they've changed a bit but it doesnt mean it wont change again. and yes, the roles seem to have shifted on this album. greg is doing the majority of the singing. carla sings 3 songs. eugene isnt singing lead on this album. but that's not to say it won't change completely again

perceptionnexus
04-05-2016, 10:41 PM
For me right now, it's in the top 5. It's fucking incredible. Carla's drumming. Motherfucker. Aside from maybe Jon Theodore. Who is the best drummer working today?

Carla is definitely a badass drummer. Not sure if you've ever seen them live, but she's even more incredible to watch play in person. What I like most about her style and sound is that it's so old school. She always kind of seemed like she could seamlessly be a big band drummer from the roaring 1920s era.

That's awesome you mention Jon Theodore! For some reason I never checked out The Mars Volta until just a week or two ago, but have been aware of their existence since their first album came out. I just listened to Frances The Mute for the first time ever today and the drums absolutely blew my mind. The guy is definitely one of the best modern prog drummers I can think of.

Lately I'm really into Dave Lombardo's playing. Not really Slayer so much, but definitely Fantomas, and the Drums of Death album he did with DJ Spooky and Jack Dangers about a decade ago is fucking intense.

thevoid99
04-05-2016, 11:20 PM
I mention Theodore largely because of his work with QOSTA as I think he is a perfect fit for that band.

TheyCallMeDrug
04-05-2016, 11:33 PM
just got back from the show and it was amazing. carla was in fine form and everything was really perfect soundwise. all old and new sounded amazing, don't miss this tour!
https://igcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/t51.2885-15/e35/12070783_1700581920210663_1095265310_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTIyMjE0MjM4NzE0OTcxNjQ1MA%3D%3D.2

https://igcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e35/12930890_1606062543049548_1705450523_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTIyMjE5NjM2MDA5OTUxMTI5Mg%3D%3D.2

botley
04-06-2016, 08:36 AM
I just found a Gail Ann Dorsey solo album (she was Bowie's bassist for a long time) from the early 90s that Carla drums on.

wizfan
04-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Listened to it late at night with headphones, all lights turned off and my eyes closed. It's nothing short of amazing. Sometimes I would imagine the trippy 3D stuff from the "Change My Head" video while listening to it. Beautiful, colourful songs which blend together into a lovely impressionistic sonic painting. Even the transitions between the songs are brilliant.

Space Suicide
04-06-2016, 10:58 PM
They're gonna be on Late Show with Stephen Colbert in about half an hour as the musical guest. Thought I'd throw it out there.

Your Name Here
04-07-2016, 02:42 AM

ZeroSum
04-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Change My Head is one of the weaker tracks?? Definitely a great album; I think I like it more than Transit Transit.

Really into Selectallcopy, Soft Scene, Brainwasher, Listen to the Order, and Becker.

Piko
04-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Change My Head is easily one of my favorites.

wizfan
04-07-2016, 11:34 AM
The ending of the album (second half of "Becker") is genius. While the rest of the album blends elements of old Autolux with new experimental synth and drum machines, the very end is a triumphant return to the "classic" Autolux sound.

perceptionnexus
04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Change My Head is one of the weaker tracks?? Definitely a great album; I think I like it more than Transit Transit.

Really into Selectallcopy, Soft Scene, Brainwasher, Listen to the Order, and Becker.

I agree totally, it doesn't seem to fit the album IMO, but that's likely only because I've known the song in demo form for the past 15 years. I'd say it's more consistently enjoyable than Transit Transit. I think there's definitely less weak areas on this one than that album. Transit was always hit or miss for me as far as the songs went, like I either really loved the songs on there (Census, Audience No. 2) or they fell really flat (Spots, Bouncing Wall).

With Pussy's Dead, I think they proved that they can do electronic-based arrangements just as well as the indie/shoegaze stuff from Future Perfect. Boots was definitely the right man for the job.

dvdglss
04-07-2016, 12:21 PM
That performance on Late Show was awesome... I wish they'd come to south Florida...

Your Name Here
04-07-2016, 12:22 PM

botley
04-07-2016, 04:06 PM
THIS pussy's NOT dead

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cfd_coyW8AEfGF4.jpg

Stoked for Lee's Palace tonight. Gonna be hard to top the Failure show I saw there last year but... I have faith!

joplinpicasso
04-07-2016, 05:45 PM
They were in top form at the NYC show. Loud and warm but not mixed in a way that pained my ears. So enjoyable.

The setlist had some great selections: equally balanced between FP and PD with two from Transit Transit. Each of them played incredibly well and were very into it. For once, this New York crowd didn't suck and yell out requests or taunts.

As for the album, it's definitely growing on me and seems to have a more concise vision each time I listen to it. "Anonymous" puts the whole first half of the album into context, and then it just spirals out into weird rock greatness from there. I've even gotten used to "Change My Head", considering Greg *did write it and the lyrics still hold up in this new glam way.

I'm confused, surely Eugene sings on "Becker"?

bobbie solo
04-07-2016, 10:26 PM
love how Colbert didn't say the album title haha

perceptionnexus
04-07-2016, 10:40 PM
They were in top form at the NYC show. Loud and warm but not mixed in a way that pained my ears. So enjoyable.

The setlist had some great selections: equally balanced between FP and PD with two from Transit Transit. Each of them played incredibly well and were very into it. For once, this New York crowd didn't suck and yell out requests or taunts.

As for the album, it's definitely growing on me and seems to have a more concise vision each time I listen to it. "Anonymous" puts the whole first half of the album into context, and then it just spirals out into weird rock greatness from there. I've even gotten used to "Change My Head", considering Greg *did write it and the lyrics still hold up in this new glam way.

I'm confused, surely Eugene sings on "Becker"?

It's Greg from what I've heard. I think he and Eugene kind of have similar vocal styles, sometimes its hard to tell. I thought Eugene sang 'census' until I saw them do it live, and then after that it was like, "oh shit, that is greg on the album" Did they not play Becker at the show? I figured for sure that one would be on set nightly, such a damn great song.

PD is shaping up to be one of my fav. albums of the year thus far. Each time I listen I'm hearing new things, little synth nuances and things like that.

Colbert was a great performance, I loved when Carla rocked the fuck out on the kit during the end. I thought that was funny too that he wouldn't say the album title.

Speaking of which, does Late Show have someone different booking musical guests now that Colbert is hosting or what? They're getting much better acts nowadays

botley
04-07-2016, 11:05 PM
love how Colbert didn't say the album title haha

One might even say he... Pussy'd out

Seriously though, that was a great show. I was right in front of Eugene, rockin out the whole time. Got the new record on vinyl now too!

Your Name Here
04-08-2016, 02:31 AM

botley
04-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm really thinking I should buy this, even though Transit Transit didn't do a whole lot for me..
Well worth the money. This record is the best thing they've done, and so far it's my favourite thing anyone's done this year.

Your Name Here
04-09-2016, 11:52 AM

FernandoDante
04-09-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm not in love with this new record as I was the previous ones, but Carla shines through once again. Goddamn. One of the most unrecognized talents out there.

(The Colbert performance was underwhelming and really didn't do the band or the song justice)

dvdglss
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Man... JUNK FOR CODE!!! the drumming in that is tasty

bobbie solo
04-18-2016, 03:44 AM
Thought Autolux sounded pretty damn good on the Coachella youtube feed. Anyone else watch? Sure the show is subdued and not too many crescendos, but that's what you get with their music.

kel
04-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Change My Head is one of the weaker tracks??
it's hands-down my favorite track.

tricil
04-19-2016, 06:41 PM
it's hands-down my favorite track.

Change my head is a goddamn classic.

botley
06-18-2016, 09:03 AM
New interview with Greg. (http://www.factmag.com/2016/06/18/autolux-pussys-dead-interview/)

bobbie solo
06-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Finally saw them while in Barcelona on vacation. Wife & I went to the Primavera Sound Festival. They were SO good. Here's some video I took...apologies for the bass crapping out at times...I was right up front on the rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMTYpCmbOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekgtl0sxISc

Millionaire
06-25-2016, 03:37 AM
Been on this album quite a bit and I think its lovely. Hamster Suite is a classic.

Rdm
06-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Becker is such a strong track.

EndlessLoveless
07-16-2016, 08:32 AM
I now prefer "Change my head" to "Future Perfect". Its got a bit of an "Our House" by CSN(Y?) feel to it. But man, great album great band. Greg Edwards is a genius.

Your Name Here
07-27-2016, 11:03 AM
http://teamcoco.com/video/autolux-07-26-16

wizfan
07-31-2016, 02:48 AM
Maynard James Keenan highly praised Autolux in an interview (http://www.kerrang.com/44131/puscifer-interview/) and El-P retweeted their Conan and Lollapalooza performances and these two facts make me a very, very happy person.

bobbie solo
07-31-2016, 11:55 PM
def. a band for musicians. Same goes for Failure. It doesn't hurt that Greg is deeply entrenched in the L.A. rock scene and is well liked by his peers.

captainbeyond
08-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Future Perfect has been one of my favorite albums since 2005. I can't believe the NIN/QOTSA/Autolux tour didn't come anywhere near me. I would have definitely drove to Atlanta had I known about the magic that is Autolux. I saw them on the Transit Transit tour and earlier this year I saw them at a really small club in Memphis. I drove 6 hours to see them and it was so worth it. There was probably about 50 people in attendance. Pretty rad that one of Trent's only social media posts this year was about this band. I'm calling it now, Carla will be on future NIN material. Has anyone noticed that the mix/tones/sounds on Pussy's Dead share some similarities to Hesitation Marks? Its like the sonic soundscape lends itself to HM at times. I love Hamster Suite the most.

It's Greg from what I've heard. I think he and Eugene kind of have similar vocal styles, sometimes its hard to tell. I thought Eugene sang 'census' until I saw them do it live, and then after that it was like, "oh shit, that is greg on the album" Did they not play Becker at the show? I figured for sure that one would be on set nightly, such a damn great song.

PD is shaping up to be one of my fav. albums of the year thus far. Each time I listen I'm hearing new things, little synth nuances and things like that.

They trade out vocal roles live sometimes. One tour Greg will sing a song that Eugene usually sings and vice versa. They did it with Audience No. 2 when I saw them.

wizfan
08-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm calling it now, Carla will be on future NIN material. Has anyone noticed that the mix/tones/sounds on Pussy's Dead share some similarities to Hesistation Marks? Its like the sonic soundscape lends itself to HM at times. I love Hamster Suite the most.

They certainly share some sonic similarities in regards to the minimalist electronics. Eugene did play on a few HM tracks, if I'm not mistaken, and he remixed "Everything".

Piko
08-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Eugene was definitely credited for some songs on HM. Forget what songs though. Carla contributing with NIN would be pretty cool though.

captainbeyond
08-07-2016, 04:45 PM
From what I recall, he does the string part on "Disappointed" and bass/electronics on "In Two." I have a feeling that's him on the bass during the choruses of "In Two" while Pino does the rest of the song.

botley
08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
He also plays processed violin on "I Would for You"... I think you're right about the big loud choruses of "In Two" but the bridge and verses are probably Reznor on bass.

Swykk
11-16-2021, 02:31 PM
What the hell?

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCOURTS-casd-3_19-cr-03566/pdf/USCOURTS-casd-3_19-cr-03566-0.pdf

TL;DR Eugene Goreshter pled guilty to importing cocaine and was sentenced to 2 years.

orson thrust
11-16-2021, 02:51 PM
What the hell?

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCOURTS-casd-3_19-cr-03566/pdf/USCOURTS-casd-3_19-cr-03566-0.pdf

TL;DR Eugene Goreshter pled guilty to importing cocaine and was sentenced to 2 years.

Fuck i was hoping the thread bump would be new album news. No pun intended. Crazy.

Zimbo
11-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Fuck i was hoping the thread bump would be new album news. No pun intended. Crazy.

Dude...

Zipfinator
11-16-2021, 03:57 PM
Apparently this all happened over a year ago and I never heard a thing about it... I'm extremely disappointed as Pussy's Dead was one of my absolute favorite albums last decade, not to mention the impact of Future Perfect. It looks like Carla and Greg may have kicked him out of the band around 2017/2018 but there was no official word on it.

Swykk
11-16-2021, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I don’t know about him getting removed from the band but the digging I did here showed he was arrested in 2019 and looked like he was sentenced at the end of 2020/early 2021.

botley
11-16-2021, 07:02 PM
Wow, that's shitty news. I hope he can complete the court mandated treatment, clean up his act, and get back to kickin' ass onstage. The band's Facebook page has been posting clips of what is called 'future Autolux' so fingers crossed they are planning to continue recording and touring in some fashion.

Zimbo
11-16-2021, 07:48 PM
Wow, that's shitty news. I hope he can complete the court mandated treatment, clean up his act, and get back to kickin' ass onstage. The band's Facebook page has been posting clips of what is called 'future Autolux' so fingers crossed they are planning to continue recording and touring in some fashion.

I wish they'd post these clips to Twitter!

EDIT: Fell down the rabbit hole, too, big yikes if true.

EDIT #2: He has a solo album? https://www.etherteen.com/

Frozen Beach
11-18-2021, 12:40 AM
It's sad. I really like him, really energetic in performances. Unfortunately, that must have been the reason why.

Zimbo
12-11-2021, 12:58 PM
Carla responded on Twitter that she's not going on tour with Jack White, that her entire focus is on Autolux!!!

rampface
12-15-2021, 12:34 PM
Wait so is he out of jail? Still in the band? I'm so confused

caca
12-15-2021, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure, but Greg was on a podcast a couple of weeks ago (it's in the Failure thread) and mentioned that he's not done with Autolux, and that he's been in contact with Carla. He never mentioned Eugene.

trollmanen
10-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Has there been any news about the band? Seems like they teased some stuff a while back, as they often do, but nothing came of it. They repressed Pussy's Dead on vinyl too. I'm wondering about Eugene too.

dinkle50
10-19-2022, 02:08 PM
I did a meet and greet with Failure this summer and I asked Greg Edwards about Autolux. He said there had been some recording that has already happened with plans to head back into the studio later in 2022. He didn't get into details, but he said new Autolux is on the roadmap.

Zimbo
10-19-2022, 06:35 PM
I've spoken to Carla on Twitter and Instagram and it seems the intent is 2023. Personally, I blame Failure and Jack White taking Carla and Greg's time (Though, Greg is not as important as Eugene is to me, Autolux wise. Carla, always number 1).

FernandoDante
04-11-2023, 11:59 AM
I wish they'd post these clips to Twitter!

EDIT: Fell down the rabbit hole, too, big yikes if true.

EDIT #2: He has a solo album? https://www.etherteen.com/

Any context on this "etherteen" album??

Zimbo
04-19-2023, 10:08 AM
I mean, it's worth a listen. It certainly has a Eugene vibe.

trollmanen
04-22-2023, 11:30 PM
Has anyone heard of this album "Go By Themselves" by LAGH from 2016? I stumbled across this via Discogs and can't find any other information on it aside from one track on a MySpace page but it won't stream for me. It features Carla and Eugene.
https://www.discogs.com/release/16237362-Lagh-Carla-Azar-Anthony-Converse-Noah-Lebenzon-Eugene-Goreshter-Go-By-Themselves

Zimbo
04-23-2023, 11:55 AM
I will see if I can find out. Carla sometimes responds to me on instagram.

Zimbo
04-23-2023, 04:57 PM
Hey - yeah, these are about to be put up for sale properly. The packaging is incredible and was extremely expensive to make. Very rare.

This was Carla's reply!

trollmanen
04-23-2023, 09:12 PM
This was Carla's reply!

Thanks! Very interested in hearing this, whatever it is.

Zimbo
06-12-2023, 07:01 PM
My second favorite Autolux member, Eugene (https://pitchfork.com/news/ex-autolux-member-eugene-goreshter-arrested-in-2019-for-attempting-to-import-cocaine-from-mexico/), is officially ex-Autolux. Confirmed drug stuff.

FUCK

Frozen Beach
06-12-2023, 08:22 PM
Welp, Autolux is dead. Eugene is irreplaceable in the group, he brought so much. They might as well call themselves something else or break up.

Zimbo
06-12-2023, 09:31 PM
Welp, Autolux is dead. Eugene is irreplaceable in the group, he brought so much. They might as well call themselves something else or break up.

While a part of me also feels like this...he could also be part of reason they've not released a record since 2016.

Frozen Beach
06-12-2023, 09:50 PM
While a part of me also feels like this...he could also be part of reason they've not released a record since 2016.
Likely, but at the same time, Autolux has always had like a six year gap between albums. I remember almost giving up on them ever releasing anything between Future Perfect and Transit Transit.

wizfan
06-12-2023, 11:46 PM
Goddamn it, Eugene. Hope Autolux 2.0 gives us some great stuff, though.