PDA

View Full Version : Dexter

Pages : 1 2 [3]

chuckrh
01-11-2022, 02:09 AM
I'm sad this is over, but wow they stuck the landing. Phenomal, and one of the best seasons they've done...as well as one of the best series ever.

I thought the finale was great & they fixed the damage done by the end of the original series. Looking forward to whatever Michael C Hall is in next.

Siah13
01-11-2022, 02:25 AM
I liked it a lot but I’m so sad it’s overrrrrr! I don’t watch many shows but both Dexter shows were ones I did watch.... I thought the ending was pretty decent, at least better than I was expecting.

elevenism
01-16-2022, 09:17 AM
I saw a lunatic on YouTube literally CRYING over how awful.the ending was, going on about how much he "IDENTIFIES" with Dexter, and he can't BELIEVE that could happen to him. He said that the show runner and Michael C. Hall don't UNDERSTAND Dexter like he does. This goes on for a good 25 minutes.

This guy should be on a fucking FBI watchlist. He ALSO said he's seen the first eight seasons 27 times, and he looks like he's about 23.

What's worse is that out of 1400 comments, a good 1300 people feel the same way.

I get feeling like the ending was rushed. But these people who are furious over Dexter's fate, and are praying that he was wearing blood packs, or that the ending turns out to be a dream sequence: I don't think they ever understood the character- specifically that he's a fucking PSYCHOPATH.

Also, they scare me a bit.

chuckrh
01-16-2022, 10:03 AM
I saw a lunatic on YouTube literally CRYING over how awful.the ending was, going on about how much he "IDENTIFIES" with Dexter, and he can't BELIEVE that could happen to him. He said that the show runner and Michael C. Hall don't UNDERSTAND Dexter like he does. This goes on for a good 25 minutes.

This guy should be on a fucking FBI watchlist. He ALSO said he's seen the first eight seasons 27 times, and he looks like he's about 23.

What's worse is that out of 1400 comments, a good 1300 people feel the same way.

I get feeling like the ending was rushed. But these people who are furious over Dexter's fate, and are praying that he was wearing blood packs, or that the ending turns out to be a dream sequence: I don't think they ever understood the character- specifically that he's a fucking PSYCHOPATH.

Did you like this season elevenism? Although a bit too gory for my usual tastes I thoroughly enjoyed the season. I will admit I have a slight crush on Dexter's foul mouthed ghost sister, haha. She'd be good trouble!

elevenism
01-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Did you like this season @elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475)? Although a bit too gory for my usual tastes I thoroughly enjoyed the season. I will admit I have a slight crush on Dexter's foul mouthed ghost sister, haha. She'd be good trouble!

A. Yes, I loved it.
B. A bit gory, but i believe this was on purpose, and meant to remind us (and show Harrison) that Dexter IS, in fact, a monster.
C. Right there with you ;)

october_midnight
01-16-2022, 11:32 AM
B. A bit gory, but i believe this was on purpose

I should hope so!

onthewall2983
01-16-2022, 11:40 AM

Thank you for not sharing the YouTube clip. I believe you.

elevenism
01-16-2022, 12:57 PM
I should hope so!

Nice. :p

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Finally got around to finishing this, and while I did thoroughly enjoy it, the end fizzled out so fast. Dexter's demise was fitting and Harrison's closure with his father, but it felt incredibly rushed.

What I liked a lot about the end was showing Dex breaking the code and just killing people that were in his way just to escape and do it all over again. You can see the disappointment and concern in Harrison's face, damn that hit hard.

This should have been at least 2 seasons long, and there would have been an amazing dynamic and exchange between Dex and Bautista which seemed pointless to me at the end. Really good stuff the first half of the season though.

DVYDRNS
04-15-2022, 10:25 AM
agreed. they rushed it all.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-05-2023, 10:05 PM
Looks like we're getting a prequel series, as New Blood is officially canceled. (https://screenrant.com/dexter-new-blood-season-2-cancelled-ending-protects/)

chuckrh
02-05-2023, 10:38 PM
Looks like we're getting a prequel series, as New Blood is officially canceled. (https://screenrant.com/dexter-new-blood-season-2-cancelled-ending-protects/)
That's unfortunate. I thought New Blood was decent.

Space Suicide
02-06-2023, 10:36 AM
Taking Vogel and things from season 8 as basis for a prequel prior to season 1 is a bad idea. Season 8 is trash.

october_midnight
02-06-2023, 12:56 PM
That's unfortunate. I thought New Blood was decent.

Lucky for you...

Showtime confirms that not only is Dexter: Origins coming, the report of 'New Blood' being cancelled is untrue...it's still on the table. (https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3750091/showtime-confirms-development-on-a-dexter-prequel-series/)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Lucky for you...

Showtime confirms that not only is Dexter: Origins coming, the report of 'New Blood' being cancelled is untrue...it's still on the table. (https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3750091/showtime-confirms-development-on-a-dexter-prequel-series/)

Gahh, you beat me to it! Everyone was buzzing this morning at work, but wasn't allowed to share it.

elevenism
02-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Gahh, you beat me to it! Everyone was buzzing this morning at work, but wasn't allowed to share it.

They better get a pair of BAD MOTHERFUCKERS to play young Dexter.and Deb. Those two actors WERE the show, alongside LaGuerta and the suspicious Angry Black Cop (cant think of his name). They have to get ALL.those.characters right.

Also, with New Blood: Season 2?
It requires Mr. Michael C Hall. Period.

I REALLY don't care if he somehow SURVIVED. I'd honestly dig that.

But he's going to have to AT LEAST appear in his kid's mind, like Deb did in the last season.

Also...idk how New Blood S02 even WORKS. Wasn't it all about, NO, the kid WASN'T like Dexter? Or, have I already forgotten?

Either way, go USA!
We REALLY need a whole TV universe glorifying serial killers, as long as the characters make frequent stops at McDonald's.

I mean, it's, well...it's true. We love our Serial Killers.

We're likely about ten years away from taking death row inmates and turning willing participants loose on an island, and seeing who kills who.

USA! USA!

I do love Dexter, tjough.

Jord
02-07-2023, 04:06 AM
Feel kinda weird about the prequel, the whole thing revolves around MCH.

Which brings me to the unexpected news that they're going ahead with New Blood S2. Count me firmly out unless Dexter somehow survived. Although crucial to the story, I found Harrison to be pretty unlikeable for most of New Blood, and very much doubt he can carry a season of Dexter on his own, it shouldn't really have the name Dexter attached unless MCH is back, whereas I thought he had mainly been drawn to doing New Blood in the first place as a way of ending things better than the first time round (which they still managed to fuck up) and so that he could have the character killed off so he wouldn't need to be badgered about coming back as Dexter again anymore.

Unless, again of course if Dexter somehow survived that gunshot, got taken to the hospital and got away, then tries to pursue Harrison while himself being pursued by Angela & Batista. That would be cool.

Just let it rest.

sweeterthan
02-07-2023, 07:02 AM
Nah! i loved jack alcott as harrison. I knew from the therapy episode that it was going to end like it did. i feel like the writing really encapsulated his abandonment and it drove everything to that ending. so i will watch it. My guess is he gets the dark passenger and it’s dexter.

Space Suicide
02-07-2023, 08:11 AM
Feel kinda weird about the prequel, the whole thing revolves around MCH.

Which brings me to the unexpected news that they're going ahead with New Blood S2. Count me firmly out unless Dexter somehow survived. Although crucial to the story, I found Harrison to be pretty unlikeable for most of New Blood, and very much doubt he can carry a season of Dexter on his own, it shouldn't really have the name Dexter attached unless MCH is back, whereas I thought he had mainly been drawn to doing New Blood in the first place as a way of ending things better than the first time round (which they still managed to fuck up) and so that he could have the character killed off so he wouldn't need to be badgered about coming back as Dexter again anymore.

Unless, again of course if Dexter somehow survived that gunshot, got taken to the hospital and got away, then tries to pursue Harrison while himself being pursued by Angela & Batista. That would be cool.

Just let it rest.

He won't. I bet Dexter would be the Dark Passenger/Harry figure in Harrison's thoughts.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-07-2023, 01:43 PM
I was half & half with New Blood. The way it ended sort of felt like a cop out. We FINALLY get MCH to reprise his role after countless years of people asking him, only for him to possibly come back for one season and then kill him off? The thing with Bautista was just fan nonsense... "Hey! Remember this character?" He just HAPPENS to be where Angela goes (Who is quite possibly the dumbest cop, ever) just to have a half baked convo with him, to never return to it again. Dexter breaking the code, and even letting himself get arrested in the first place. Regardless of him laying low, you don't just forget the things that kept you afloat this entire time being on the run. He should never have been in that jail cell to begin with.

Harrison I actually really liked as a character, and thought he was the one carrying the show at times. His angst was warranted, along with him having a dark passenger of his own which was a good move in my opinion. The dynamic between Dexter and Deb was fucking MASTERPIECE worthy television, even the way their scenes were shot at times, with using mirrors and their reflections to show how crazy he still is. I was not too fond of how Harrison, even with the letter, was happy after everything that went down. He was reluctant to leave with Dex, but still carries the dark passenger with him... That just doesn't disappear after you break a kids bones, and other manic tendencies he possess. If they can somehow rework the magic they did with Dex and Deb, they sure can pull it off with Harrison and Dex.

There were a lot of things I liked about the new season with the cold setting, the smaller town, and the cast was pretty good. But the writing couldn't keep up with itself at times, and Dex coming face to face with past characters should have definitely been a thing, or at least in season 2.

The whole Vogel thing was dumb as hell, and I really wish they would just forget that ever happened. But if they have the chops to flesh that out and have that story arc be more welcoming, I'm open to it. But season 7 and 8 should have been just Dexter on the run, trying to outsmart the rest of Miami PD trying to catch the person they considered a close family friend, with him ultimately getting caught. The narrative monologs they could have come up with, with Dexter could have been very good stuff, along with not killing off Deb and even LaGuerta.

Even with what happened in New Blood, for an avid fan like I am of the series, I'm still just not satisfied, nor have any sort of closure with it.