PDA

View Full Version : Street Sects

somewhatdamaged
05-29-2018, 06:14 PM
With the exception of Run the Jewels, Street Sects is the best new band I've heard in over a decade. It blows me away it's not super popular on this board, which is funny because I think I randomly came across it from Youtube recommendation from a different band someone posted on this board. I started out listening to Street Sects' Rat Jacket, which I would recommend you do the same if you haven't listened to them before. Rat Jacket is by far the most accessible music compared the rest. Rat Jacket sounds like old-school industrial and Orgy hybrid, it's really good, poppy enough to make you keep coming back. It might be a bit much for some. Thinking the rest of their material would be the same, it's not, it takes a sharp turn to something completely different and darker. The album End Position is freaking fantastic and incredibly harsh, it can be too much at times. I was listening with headphones and after the album was finished I had to stay in complete silence for 30 minutes to let me ears relax - I can't think of any other time I've had an album do that to me. Probably some the most screwed up lyrics I've come across too, so much so, I'm like I hope this duo keeps making music.

I know you're not going to google search or Youtube search on your own, so here is a link to my favorite song off of Rat Jacket.

https://youtu.be/m_F2Z7iPSjc

october_midnight
05-29-2018, 07:01 PM
*raises hand* I like a number of artists on the Flenser label, including Street Sects. If you're in to gloom/doom metal, check out Planning For Burial!

Alabaster Creature
05-29-2018, 10:33 PM
If you have the chance, you should see them live. I caught them earlier this year and it was wild, it felt like a confrontational noise/industrial/power-electronics show "tidied up" for the Live Nation venue. If that sounds like some kind of back-handed compliment: it is not. It possessed a unique and weird energy. Definitely the harshest performance I have ever seen on a stage that big. In a more intimate or smaller-scale setting the feeling would probably be different, but possibly also more powerful.

somewhatdamaged
05-30-2018, 07:59 AM
If you have the chance, you should see them live. I caught them earlier this year and it was wild, it felt like a confrontational noise/industrial/power-electronics show "tidied up" for the Live Nation venue. If that sounds like some kind of back-handed compliment: it is not. It possessed a unique and weird energy. Definitely the harshest performance I have ever seen on a stage that big. In a more intimate or smaller-scale setting the feeling would probably be different, but possibly also more powerful.

I'm so glad you mentioned the live performance, I've been debating seeing them live - I just can't imagine how it would translate on stage. They have a show in Austin, which is a 2 hour drive... Interest peaked now.

thefragile_jake
05-30-2018, 09:28 AM
Their album from 2016 is so fucking amazing. I'm still kicking myself for missing their show last year ... it was at a super small venue too. They recently went on tour with H09909 and of course the only Missouri date was in Kansas City which I couldn't make.

I highly recommend them and Youth Code for sure if you want some interesting new industrial acts.

Alabaster Creature
05-31-2018, 12:08 AM
I'm so glad you mentioned the live performance, I've been debating seeing them live - I just can't imagine how it would translate on stage. They have a show in Austin, which is a 2 hour drive... Interest peaked now.

I still feel like I am fighting to find the vocabulary to really describe the performance meaningfully. This is not because it was mind-blowing per se, but because so many of the words I could use would be equally useful in service of describing different bands. Such that I feel like I should explicitly draw distinctions between other acts that could be described similarly. How would I compare, say, the live presence of Youth Code's Sara Taylor to what Leo Ashline is doing? I am reasonably comfortable saying that Taylor carries herself on stage like a hardcore front-person, it's swaggering and tough in a way reminiscent of vocalists I see in that space. Maybe Taylor thinks she's doing something else, this is just the vibe I get. Ashline's movement often feels less like he's projecting intense, violent, confidence than an unhinged compulsion. Excepting the moments where he seems to "relax" and reach a kind of vulnerability as the song necessitates.

Ashline also tends to get off the stage, performing in-between the barrier and the stage, and in the crowd. In the latter case, the people at my show reacted to his presence among them with smiles, as if they were trying to both emotionally deflect and express pleasure at how in-your-face the performance had become.

Hopefully this further elucidates something about what their live performance feels like.

somewhatdamaged
03-13-2019, 07:04 PM
https://youtu.be/visholplU94
The second LP album blows me away. It's like a mix of Rat Jacket and End Position, not a bad song on it.