PDA

View Full Version : 1998--your top ten picks

GulDukat
04-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Wow, can't believe these were released 20 years ago.

10. 2wo- Voyeurs
9. David Lee Roth- DLR Band (tied) Queens of the Stoneage
8. Hole- Celebrity Skin (tied) Tori Amos- From the Choirgirl Hotel
7. Kid Rock- Devil Without a Cause
6. Pearl Jam- Yield
5. Marilyn Manson- Mechanical Animals
4. Garbage- Version 2.0
3. Scott Weiland- 12 Bar Blues
2. Smashing Pumpkins- Adore
1. Jerry Cantrell- Boggy Depot

eversonpoe
04-10-2018, 08:49 AM
as always with my lists, i went over 10 and they're in no particular order. super favorites are marked with asterisks.

madonna - ray of light*
air - moon safari
neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
stabbing westward - darkest days
esthero - breath from another*
boards of canada - music has the right to children
massive attack - mezzanine*
dave matthews band - before these crowded streets (shut up, this is the only DMB record i still stand by, because it's fucking great)
VAST - visual audio sensory theater
tori amos - from the choirgirl hotel*
godspeed you black emperor - f#a#∞
orgy - candyass
sunny day real estate - how it feels to be something on*
blonde redhead - in an expression of the inexpressible
marilyn manson - mechanical animals* (despite the fact that i just sold my vinyl copy and i can't listen to manson anymore, this album is still incredible)
cat power - moon pix
pj harvey - is this desire?*
alkaline trio - goddamnit*
cake - prolonging the magic
placebo - without you i'm nothing*
bright eyes - letting off the happiness
pedro the lion - it's hard to find a friend
portishead - roseland NYC live*

cleopatra - comin' atcha! (totally kidding, but i still have that damn commercial stuck in my head)

neorev
04-10-2018, 09:01 AM
15 Gravity Kills - Perversion
14 Goldie - Saturnz Return
13 Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
12 Wink - Herehear
11 Orgy - Candyass
----- further listening -----
10 Amon Tobin - Permutation
09 Portishead - Roseland NYC Live
08 Autechre - LP5
07 System Of A Down - System Of A Down
06 Pitchshifter - www.pitchshifter.com
05 UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
04 Meat Beat Manifesto - Actual Sounds + Voices
03 Massive Attack - Mezzanine
02 Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
01 The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

r_z
04-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Pearl Jam - Yield
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
The JSBX - Acme / Extra Acme
Redman - Doc's Da Name
12 Rounds - My Big Hero
Soul Coughing - El Oso
E-40 - The Element Of Suprise
Def Squad - El Nino
Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels...

dvdglss
04-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Man... My faves from the year...

Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing
The Cardigans - Gran Turismo
The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Pearl Jam - Yield
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
Garbage - Version 2.0
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days (didn't age the best lol)
Orgy - Candyass
12 Rounds - My Big Hero
Queens of the Stone Age - S/T

BRoswell
04-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Beastie Boys-Hello Nasty
Beck-Mutations
Boards Of Canada-Music Has The Right To Children
Fatboy Slim-You've Come A Long Way, Baby
Godspeed You! Black Emperor-F♯ A♯ ∞ (released in 1997, but didn't get a wide release until 1998)
Massive Attack-Mezzanine
Queens Of The Stone Age-S/T
Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe
UNKLE-Psyence Fiction
Various Artists-Pi OST

kel
04-10-2018, 11:46 AM
1998 was such a great year for me. nothing but good memories associated with:

dearest christian, i'm so very sorry for bringing you here. love, dad -- p.m. dawn
celebrity skin -- hole
version 2.0 -- garbage
ray of light -- madonna
from the choirgirl hotel -- tori amos
wide open spaces -- dixie chicks
the globe sessions -- sheryl crow
supposed former infatuation junkie -- alanis morissette
the singles 86-98 -- depeche mode
yield -- pearl jam
cruel summer -- ace of base
hello nasty -- beastie boys
mechanical animals -- marilyn manson (but i'm with eversonpoe on this)

lots of one-off songs (some guilty pleasures) like "closing time" by semisonic and "kiss the rain" by billie myers also elicit nothing but positive memories.

eversonpoe
04-10-2018, 01:14 PM
10 Amon Tobin - Permutation

FUCK i knew i missed something! god, i can't believe that album is 20 years old. still sounds ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av25IbK0f-M

one of my favorite songs of all time <3

Dryalex12
04-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Surprised no one mentioned Powertrip by Monster Magnet

thevoid99
04-10-2018, 03:38 PM
1. Massive Attack-Mezzanine
2. Air-Moon Safari
3. Pulp-This is Hardcore
4. UNKLE-Psyence Fiction
5. R.E.M.-Up
6. Neutral Milk Hotel-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
7. Outkast-Aquemini
8. Pearl Jam-Yield
9. Beastie Boys-Hello Nasty
10. PJ Harvey-Is This Desire?
11. Boards of Canada-Music Has the Right to Children
12. Mark Hollis-S/T
13. Wilco & Billy Bragg-Mermaid Avenue
14. Beck-Mutations
15. Marilyn Manson-Mechanical Animals
16. Cat Power-Moon Pix
17. 12 Rounds-My Big Hero
18. Queens of the Stone Age-S/T
19. Tori Amos-From the Choirgirl Hotel
20. Garbage-Version 2.0

That's all I have for now.

ManBurning
04-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Not in order:

Rancid - Life Won't Wait
KoRn - Follow the leader
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe
The Offspring - Americana
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Econoline Crush - The Devil You Know
Soulfly - Soulfy
Sloan - Navy Blues
Cradle of filth - Cruelty and the beast
The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Monster Magnet - Powertrip
Fear Factory - Obsolete
Orgy - Candyass

1998 was a great year for music. Didn't realize so many great records came out then.

Archive_Reports
04-10-2018, 05:01 PM
In no order:

Orgy - Candyass
Garbage - Version 2.0
Korn - Follow the Leader
Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest
Method Man - Tical 2000 Judgement Day
Converge - When Forever Comes Crashing
Nothingface - An Audio Guide to Everyday Atrocity

sonic_discord
04-10-2018, 08:29 PM
The albums that sprang to mind immediately:
The Smashing Pumpkins – Adore
Metallica – Garage, Inc.
Marilyn Manson – Mechanical Animals
Cake – Prolonging the Magic
The Offspring – Americana

Albums I was into at the time but don't really listen to anymore:
Garbage – Version 2.0
Korn – Follow the Leader

Albums that I didn't get into until years later:
Jerry Cantrell – Boggy Depot
Queens of the Stone Age – Queens of the Stone Age
Phish – The Story of the Ghost
Gomez – Bring it On
Sublime – Acoustic: Bradley Nowell & Friends

Albums that I'm less familiar with but still like a lot of songs:
Beastie Boys – Hello Nasty
Rob Zombie – Hellbilly Deluxe

barkhammer
04-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Albums that I'm less familiar with but still like a lot of songs:
Guns N' Roses – Use Your Illustion

:confused:

sonic_discord
04-10-2018, 09:14 PM
:confused:

My bad. I was just browsing through Wikipedia's "1998 in music (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_music)" page and the compilation that combines the two parts together is listed there and I didn't think twice when adding it. I DID admit to not being as familiar with it in my defense!

dvdglss
04-11-2018, 05:56 AM
I dusted of my Gran Tourismo CD and felt so bad that people will only know “Lovefool”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EwecvbGp8

ChipRock
04-11-2018, 06:18 AM
Good topic. 1998 was a good year for me, being at university (foundation art course - well slacker), making new friends and going out a lot. Strangely though I don't think I was listening to a lot of new music, but there was still a lot of good stuff. So, a few from that year would be:

Garbage: Version 2.0 (also saw them live for the first time that year - not sure I love the record itself so much now, production wise, but great songs anyway)
Sparklehorse: Good Morning Spider (started getting introduced to stuff like this around this time - what a guy - RIP)
Mogwai: Kicking a Dead Pig (plus the No Education = No Future EP came out that year)
Arab Strap: Philophobia (seem to remember seeing them live that year too - if I had a time machine...)
Skinny Puppy: Remix Dystemper (perfect for those of us still discovering old industrial music, but into contemporary dance music too)
PJ Harvey: Is This Desire? (still a favourite - I'd loved to have seen her around this time)
Depeche Mode: The Singles 86/98 (a best of shouldn't count, but I fucking love my vinyl box of this, plus Only When I Lose Myself was a top single)
Lo Fidelity Allstars: How To Operate With A Blown Mind (bet nobody else comes up with that one)

Placebo, Smashing Pumpkins and Massive Attack have been mentioned. I didn't have these albums, but I was listening to the singles for sure. Good stuff. Did somebody mention The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion too? I really enjoy that now, but kind of missed it at the time.

Another album I didn't have from '98 is Fatboy Slim's You've Come A Long Way, Baby. The Rockafeller Skank was released in June '98 (says Wikipedia) so it sounds right to say that was the hit of the summer, and therefore the year. It probably got really annoying at the time, but looking back it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Thinking more generally about what I was listening to in '98, I have to mention a couple from the previous year that were still getting a lot of play:
Pigface: A New High In Low
Recoil: Unsound Methods (might be dated, but still highly recommended)
Radiohead: OK Computer (SO bored of it now, but at the time it was HUGE, and everyone was just well into Radiohead)

And as we're moving around in time, I have to mention The Creatures and Moby who both released singles in '98 from albums that would come out the following year. Play may be very uncool now (in fact it wasn't very cool at the time either) but Honey was a good single, and I'm sure I heard a couple of other songs before the end of the year. 2nd Floor was a great first single from Anima Animus - the green 7" remains very much loved.

EndlessLoveless
04-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Lo Fidelity Allstars: How To Operate With A Blown Mind (bet nobody else comes up with that one)

Good call. What an upbeat party album at the time. Very psychedelic with these great beats and synths and this dude, sort of like Morrison, just singing/rambling over the top. The album is all fun and games and then ends with one of the saddest songs of all time. Always loved that album, especially "night time story".

Then their next album comes out and it's completely different, at least from what I remember. Gave it a few listens and dropped it. But album 1 was amazing.

EndlessLoveless
04-11-2018, 06:53 AM
How's about God lives underwater "life in the so called space age" and the depeche mode tribute album " for the masses".

Those two were on HEAVY rotation in my world. Most from both albums still are.

Shunt
04-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Recoil: Unsound Methods (might be dated, but still highly recommended)

Guess where my nickname comes from. It's true it's a bit dated, though.

ChipRock
04-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Then their next album comes out and it's completely different

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. I'm guessing they either stopped doing so many drugs, or had done too many during album #1, but later material was a little lacking. The Pigeonhed track was rather popular, and rightly so, but otherwise I think they were a bit under appreciated.

Back to Recoil, it seems the Stalker single was released in '98. But yeah, I remember Shunt getting quite a few more plays than most. 'There's blood on the line'. Follow up Liquid was very good too. Very of their time, but I do love all the atmospherics and spoken word stuff.

brotha52
04-11-2018, 10:19 AM
1. Nothing Changes (nothing records promo)
2. Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
3. Sublime Acoustic: Bradley Nowell & Friends
4. Manu Chao - Clandestino
5. Jay Z - Vol. 2 ... Hard Knock Life
6. DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot
7. Cake - Prolonging the Magic
8. Portishead - Live NYC
9. Outkast - Aquemini
10. Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act passed this year. Combine this with the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the Loudness Wars, and you can start to see the degradation in quality musoc from the era.

OSLIN
04-11-2018, 10:34 AM
I can't think of music in 1998 without thinking of this, considering it's probably what I listened to more than anything else.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/hqdefault_zpsvmlrlg3r.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/hqdefault_zpsvmlrlg3r.jpg.html)

Dryalex12
04-11-2018, 03:21 PM
I can't think of music in 1998 without thinking of this, considering it's probably what I listened to more than anything else.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/hqdefault_zpsvmlrlg3r.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/hqdefault_zpsvmlrlg3r.jpg.html)

Gonna play that game are ya? well imo, this one is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnxI7Yu5yl0

PhoenixML
04-11-2018, 03:43 PM
I checked my iTunes and I have
Garbage - Version 2.0
Korn - Follow The Leader
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

neorev
04-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Personally, 1997 and 1999 were better years in music...

1997 is probably my favorite year of music ever. :)

thevoid99
04-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Personally, 1997 and 1999 were better years in music...

1997 is probably my favorite year of music ever. :)

Agreed.

piggy
04-11-2018, 08:39 PM
I don't have enough in my collection for 10, but...

Pearl Jam, Yield
The Church, Hologram of Baal
PJ Harvey, Is This Desire?
R.E.M., Up
Mudhoney, Tomorrow Hit Today
Mark Lanegan, Scraps At Midnight

Did we not do a 1997 thread?

Dryalex12
04-12-2018, 02:21 AM
Agreed.

97? Why 97? 90-96 imo was a lot better

Shunt
04-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I don't know what happened there. I'm guessing they either stopped doing so many drugs, or had done too many during album #1, but later material was a little lacking. The Pigeonhed track was rather popular, and rightly so, but otherwise I think they were a bit under appreciated.

Back to Recoil, it seems the Stalker single was released in '98. But yeah, I remember Shunt getting quite a few more plKays than most. 'There's blood on the line'. Follow up Liquid was very good too. Very of their time, but I do love all the atmospherics and spoken word stuff.

Actually, I think Liquid stands the test of time quite well and it's my favourite Recoil album. SubHuman wasn't that well received by the fans, and Alan himself warned the blues would put off some listeners, but I like it a lot, more than Unsound Methods, and it's more focused. Anyway, I find the last three Recoil albums to be of similar quality.

GulDukat
04-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Forgot about Mudhoney's Tomorrow Hit Today great disc.

brotha52
04-12-2018, 08:16 AM
1996 was the last great year of music. Let me mansplain you why.

1. The telecommunications act of 1996 was the largest contributing factor to the decline in music. This allowed for the rise of Clear Channel as the dominate force, influencing music labels away from the album as a product towards the single as the ad revenue vehicle.

2. Jagged Little Pill marks the end of the album era. No other album since has remained on the billboard charts for over a year. The movement in album sales towards the CD single happens post 1996.

3. The continuing ramp up of the Loudness Wars escalates in late 1995 with the release of Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?. Dynamic Range continues to plummet and the move to the mp3 rises. The first white sheets on the more modern mp3 encoding is published in 1995.

1996 was fucking amazing. The music industry was at its peak. So many great artists dropped albums or released singles this year. Feel free to explore.
https://open.spotify.com/user/129194119/playlist/7pdCOVHH6r885NDNmKuVrM?si=wbb3kNynRvaF_V4M_bvYIA

GulDukat
04-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Well, if you are an aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged guy like me, still clinging to guitar/hard-rock, 1997/1998 was sort of the last great year(s) of music. It's been on life-support or in a coma since the dawn of the 21st century.

Shadaloo
04-12-2018, 08:44 AM
One of these days I will listen to things that came out that year which aren't from Garbage, Manson, and the Pumpkins. But it will be difficult to tear myself away.

ManBurning
04-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Well, if you are an aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged guy like me, still clinging to guitar/hard-rock, 1997/1998 was sort of the last great year(s) of music. It's been on life-support or in a coma since the dawn of the 21st century.

While I usually am the one to agree with this, I am also an "aging, bitter, soon-to-be-middle-aged" guy, there is some really good stuff coming out these days. I think there was a lull in the music scene at the turn of the century around the year 2000, I think it's picked up again around 2010. Some bands/records that came out in recent years, rival the quality the 90s had. I think 97/98 were the peak of music for sure. Part of me wants to include 1999 because of "The Fragile", but I just looked at what else was released that year, and it doesn't compare to say 1995-1998. Those were the golden years of music.

The problem now is, good music is no longer spoon fed to you via every media outlet available. You have to really do some digging in this day and age to find the good stuff. There is a lot of good stuff out there now that doesn't get the recognition that it should.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing anyway. We want to yearn to be back in those younger days, but if you actually revisit some stuff you thought was "great" back then, you will soon realize that it's not so great after all. I've went back to listen to records I thought were "amazing" back then, to only discover they are not. Maybe that's just because my tastes have changed since then.

neorev
04-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Part of me wants to include 1999 because of "The Fragile", but I just looked at what else was released that year, and it doesn't compare to say 1995-1998. Those were the golden years of music.

Whoa, whoa, whoooooa there, 1999 is most definitely included...

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
The Mad Capsule Markets - OSC-DIS (Oscillator In Distortion)
Deadsy - Commencement
Basement Jaxx - Remedy
Moby - Play
Death In Vegas - The Contino Sessions
Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
Muse - Showbiz
Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipeout
Pitchshifter - Deviant
Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles
Korn - Issues
Dr. Dre - 2001

Just to name a few. 1994 to 1999 is probably the greatest 5 year period for music... EVER.

GulDukat
04-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoooooa there, 1999 is most definitely included...

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
Leftfield - Rhythm And Stealth
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
The Mad Capsule Markets - OSC-DIS (Oscillator In Distortion)
Deadsy - Commencement
Basement Jaxx - Remedy
Moby - Play
Death In Vegas - The Contino Sessions
Orbital - The Middle Of Nowhere
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
Muse - Showbiz
Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipeout
Pitchshifter - Deviant
Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles
Korn - Issues
Dr. Dre - 2001

Just to name a few. 1994 to 1999 is probably the greatest 5 year period for music... EVER.Hey hey, no spoilers. The 1999 thread isn't due for another nine months.

thevoid99
04-12-2018, 05:32 PM

For me personally as it came to 1997, it was because it was the emergence of discovering new things such as electronic music and Radiohead creating for me was my generation's Dark Side of the Moon. I had never heard a record like that in my life and I couldn't believe how good it was. I remember reading all of these reviews and was entranced by the video for "Paranoid Android". Then I heard bits of the record at this pizza place I used to go to and was blown away from what I was hearing.

neorev
04-12-2018, 06:59 PM
1997 for the win, hands down.

Dryalex12
04-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Im not saying its not good, i just didn't have as much favorites stuff...but to be fair i don't really stray to far out of rock and metal not because im one sides but for the most part, it doesn't really do much for me with a few exceptions. Its not a bad year but IMO not my favorite year.

That's why i said it was my opinions not a fact...opinion.

Also im 21 so i was like...2

Boots
04-12-2018, 08:16 PM
REM - Up
Beck - Mutations
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
Queens of The Stone Age - QOTSA
Hole - Celebrity Skin
Korn - Follow the Leader
Garbage - Version 2.0
Madonna - Ray of Light
Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing

Mantra
04-13-2018, 11:40 AM
In general, I think the late 90s were abysmal years for music. Which is fine. Popular music seems to ebb and flow. We'll have a couple years where it seems like important connections are being made, everything is coming together, great albums are coming out at a breakneck speed, and then suddenly all that momentum disperses, and we spend years waiting for the next big wave to hit. Realistically, in any average year, there's maybe a couple of truly great albums that come out, and that's it. There might be some other moderately decent albums that come out too, but anytime I go back and look at the best of lists from some random year, it's always like "Yup, these two/three albums were great, and everything is just sort of there." I think that's natural. I don't think you can realistically expect the human species to produce incredible quality in mass every single year.

piggy
04-15-2018, 04:01 AM
I forgot one on my list: Neil Finn, Try Whistling This