PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nova

Goldfoot
12-16-2011, 07:58 AM
If you are unfamiliar, the show starts in 2149 and humans are wearing out their welcome on Earth. The atmosphere cannot sustain them anymore and they are being forced to live in climate controlled domes. A wild time fracture appears and they figure out that they can settle on the other side, which happens to be 85 million years in the past. That means dinosaurs.

This show was intriguing to me since I heard about it last year or whenever. While it is predictable at times, I don't really fault the writers for doing so. Science fiction shows don't have the best track record on network TV lately, so it makes sense that they would use formulaic plots and character arcs. At times, however, the writing is pretty good. I was watching this week's episode and Taylor found out that Skye is the Sixer mole. While playing chess with her, he deliberately gives one of his subordinates information to see if Skye would take it to Mira. He then takes his turn and says, "your move." It was delectable and I like it when shows incorporate that level of communication. They don't have enough interaction with dinosaurs, but I figure that is due to budget limitations. I hope they don't pull a Game Of Thrones and skip entire battle sequences because the character in focus somehow misses it.

Mech
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I've been following this show every week as well. I agree that it's predictable, but I do enjoy it alot!

Alexandros
12-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I couldn't get past the second episode. The premise sounds interesting, but the execution just seems completely bland to me. Uninteresting characters interacting in uninteresting ways. I don't know, does it get any better?

thelastdisciple
12-16-2011, 02:34 PM
It's another "family salvation" drama just like Falling Skies, bratty whining kids galore, oh let's spend a whole episode looking for some lost kid. I sort of enjoy it i mean i watch it from week to week and there's obviously something that i do like about it but i think the show could be way better and most of the time it just pisses me off, I'd rather it was following some nothing to lose, hard boiled, renegade type and get more into the action.....

Take the main character of Jim Shannon, kill off his family, have him go bat shit and go after some "Sixers".... heck skin some dinosaurs let's get bloody, get into the mythos of the period of time they live in and what not let's see some elaboration. It's a FOX show though so i guess you can't expect too much from it.

bobbie solo
12-17-2011, 12:53 AM
i want to like this so much, but it's unbearable. i tortue myself every week, i dont know why. almost every character is unlikeable, and im am rooting for absolutely none of them. add in the fact that they barely show any dinosaurs, and im about to jump ship. the premise is so cool but they fuck it up royally bc theyre going for the family-friendly angle.

Mech
12-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I enjoyed the finale last night, it was pretty intense. My friend has a theory about the figuredhead from the ship, and that maybe it has something to do with the Bermuda Triangle, and other rips in time from the past. Does anyone know if it's renewed for another season?

Goldfoot
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Fox hasn't decided yet. I wouldn't expect a decision either way for a while. I missed a lot of the finale last night so I need to rewatch before I can comment on what you said in the spoiler tag.

thelastdisciple
12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I did like the finale, probably the best 80 minutes of the season.

Although i think it was wrapped up enough just in case it does get cancelled, I guess we will find out in the next while what the verdict is.

october_midnight
03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Adios. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/terra-nova-cancelled-fox-spielberg-258808)

Probably a good idea to axe it now instead of 6 season in when the writers are reduced to complicated human/dinosaur love triangles.

Mech
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Too bad. It was fun to watch, much different than what's on tv now, but I understand it wasn't doing sa well. I could see someone line SyFy picking this up. Way better than that shit Lost Girl.

Sebek
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I personally watched every episode of this series, not quite liking it but also compelled to see dinos wrecking shit. There's a laundry list of things that went wrong here: the production looking cheap, look much CGI reliance while at the same time not enough dinos, corny dialogue and one dimensional characters, etc. I feel like one of their biggest mistakes was making it feel like a family friendly procedural show. Most episodes had a "here's the problem of the week" that gets wrapped up in the last 10 minutes. Ugh. I'm glad it's gone. Squandered opportunity and yet another example of why you should never put stock in "produced by Steven Spielberg!" advertising hype.