PDA

View Full Version : Electric Six

bgalbraith
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Fire in the disco!

sheepdean
12-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Probably the best live band still going.
I just wish they had looked at their video for Radio Ga Ga before releasing it, I bet they'd sell just as big as they did on Fire if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot with the unintentional faux pas of dancing on Freddie's grave...

Leviathant
12-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I heard these guys were pretty good. :p

dlb
12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
big fan here! I always put them when I need to cheer up.

too bad that no venue here has the balls to book these guys. 2009 is just too long ago. :/

The Doctor
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow, that's a shame, they come to Austin twice a year usually! I love these guys!! I've been a fan ever since Fire and have tried to see them every chance I got. I'm not too keen on the new album, Hearbeats and Brainwaves though. It really hasn't grown on me at all. But then again, it took like 20 listens before Kill sunk in and I love it a lot now. How would you rank their albums in order of listening preference? Here's mine:

1. Senor Smoke
2. Fire
3. Switzerland
4. Flashy
5. Kill
6. I Shall Exterminate...
7. Zodiac
8. Heartbeats & Brainwaves

dlb
12-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I guess nobody really knows them here apart from "gay bar" and since most non-english speaking people don't get the humour of Valentine's lyrics promoters might be a bit angsty not sell enough tickets. The only time they played here was during a small Jägermeister-tour together with some other lesser known bands (Lemonheads, Trash Monkeys).

Here's my list:

1. fire (no weak track IMHO)
2. senor smoke
3. I shall exterminate
4. Switzerland
5. kill
6. flashy
7. zodiac
8. heartbeats & brainwaves (it still needs to grow on me)

Still there are at least 3, 4 favorite tracks on each album. I also enjoy the hell out of "the Dirty Shame" and "Evil Cowards".

sheepdean
12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Kill
Senor Smoke
Exterminate
Fire
Zodiac
Switzerland
Flashy
Heartbeats

And the b-sides album Sexy Trash has many of my fave songs, so that would go between Exterminate and Fire for me

dlb
12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
KILL is steadily moving up in my list, really a grower.

you also might want to check out their soundcloud page if you haven't already. every now and then they are putting a nice little gem up there.

http://soundcloud.com/e6-extras-associates

sheepdean
12-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah I've been following that - I know they won't do videos anymore, but I wish they would instead of popping out soundcloud stuff, they had some of the best ones.

dlb
12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
or at least put up a full concert. I'd also llike them to release the other full songs Dick did for this Machinima-Zombie show on youtube.

sheepdean
12-17-2011, 08:06 PM
He's doing a solo tour next summer (yay, London ^_^), maybe he'll play a few then, and if they work, make an album? I mean, Dirty Shame's album did get reissued, and Evil Cowards seem to be doing well, his side projects are getting strong.

Pillfred
12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Haven't listened to these guys a lot but i did get a chance to see them last year and it was pretty damn fun, even if their keyboardist was apparently in jail. The singer was such a goofy fucker but it worked well for him. I would glady go see them again if they came around.

dlb
01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
good news everyone:

It's 2012, and in the face of the apocalypse Electric Six wants everybody to calm the f$%k down. We've been making records at an alarming rate for years now, and it's time to take a breather. We're getting older, but damn it we're getting smarter. So let's all celebrate that. In honor of nearly a decade of Electric Six as you know it, we decided to give YOU, the listeners, what we thought you wanted most: a live record. A double live record. A double live record featuring our favorites so far, AND the "Fire" record IN IT'S ENTIRETY. To accomplish this, we'll be performing/recording two shows with two sets per show: May 11th at First Avenue in Minneapolis, and May 12th at the Double Door in Chicago. Stay tuned as the details are filled in. It's the end of the world, and it's a celebration motherf#$%ers. We love you, and we'll see you soon..

Pillfred
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Gonna have to try and score tickets for the 1st ave show. I bet that will be a riot.

sheepdean
01-30-2012, 03:01 PM
So, how do I like, go to Chicago.

aylasaur
08-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I saw them in a small club venue in Orlando, Florida in 2005. They were in our faces. It was incredibly fun. Definitely worth it if anyone ever gets the chance to see them.

Sutekh
08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Yep saw them at glastonbury 2003 and they were really good fun. Not really sure why they lost momentum

dlb
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Dick Valentine released another solo record called Halloween Fingers this year and E6 are about to release a studio album called Mustang later this year. They may have lost momentum, but I still enjoy their records for the most part. The first one and maybe 2 and 3 are their best though. Didn't get to see them live in all those years since they've been to Germany once and for some reason no one knows them over here... bummer, but their records are always a nice litte annual fun time for me.

sheepdean
08-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Dick Valentine released another solo record called Halloween Fingers this year and E6 are about to release a studio album called Mustang later this year. They may have lost momentum, but I still enjoy their records for the most part. The first one and maybe 2 and 3 are their best though. Didn't get to see them live in all those years since they've been to Germany once and for some reason no one knows them over here... bummer, but their records are always a nice litte annual fun time for me.
Lost momentum? Kill is easily their best album yet, Mustang is going to rock, and they're putting out a live blu ray next year to show you how good they are

dlb
08-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey, that's what Suthek said! :P Personally I still love them, but have to agree that I don't party with them like I used to. Kill really is a great record and I did enjoy zodiac quite a bit! Not the biggest fan of h&b though. Absolute Pleasure was a nice and long overdue album that I spin on a regular basis!

sheepdean
08-12-2013, 11:36 AM
heartbeats was ok~ - Absolute Treasure (the live bluray) is going to be much cooler than Absolute Pleasure (and I already have Wildbunch's live album, so I wasn't as excited about hearing the live CD)

dlb
08-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Wait, you got that? Live at the Gold Dollar? What do I have to do to get a zip file of this? :rolleyes:

I only have 4 songs from that CD that I gathered over the years...

sheepdean
08-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I have it signed by Dick, because I am amazing. Also, PM

The Doctor
08-12-2013, 01:22 PM
I have it signed by Dick, because I am amazing. Also, PM

I'd also love a PM about this.

Has anybody heard Dick Valentine's acoustic solo albums, 'Destroy the Children' or the latest one, 'Halloween Fingers?'
'Destroy the Children' is pretty fantastic and I highly recommend it to anybody who likes Electric Six.

Also, new promo for their upcoming album, 'Mustang:'

http://vimeo.com/69985407

sheepdean
08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
PM sent

And his solo stuff is great, I've seen him play it live a couple of times, he's much more laid back and does more deep cuts instead of Gay Bar and Danger every night. And he does a fantastic cover of Springsteen's Brillian Disguise, which he hinted he might release in studio form one day.

sheepdean
09-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Be still my beating heart, 10 E6 albums in one set https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152631227803762&id=154062438761