PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year

allegate
01-02-2018, 02:00 PM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6kgitD9XKGs/WLjnG2Ek9gI/AAAAAAABbFo/Q9vtBjkB2J8TKEIn15bAZDn-4bi2pdmWgCLcB/s1600/avatar4.png

Some guidelines:

1) Um…What happens if I don’t read 50 books and watch 50 movies this year?
Just like last year this is a personal challenge, so all we ask is that you try. No matter what, you’ll probably consume more books/movies than you’ve ever done before.

2) Why does it say and/or in the title?
New for this year is that you don't have to do 50 of each - you can do 50 total. So if you don't think you can read that much or watch that much, go for the combined score of 50 total. Either way it's a win and you never know where you'll be at the end of the year.

3) Do I have to read the books, or can I just skim?
I can see how this would be confusing. Oh wait, no. C’mon people, it’s a reading challenge! Same as fast-forwarding through a movie isn’t the same as really watching one, this is about taking the time to really enjoy. For the avoidance of doubt, please read the book for it count.

4) Do long books count as 2? What about movies?
If your book is over 500 pages, you can count it as two books if you like. We still consider you an Overachiever. However, if the book is 2,000 pages, it’s still just two books — not four! We want to encourage you to read longer pieces. This answer has been posted for the benefit of all you Game of Thrones fanatics out there. Go forth and prosper or whatever it is. No matter the length, a movie is still just a (one, 1, “ONE”) movie. That said, installments in a movie series (example: the individual Godfather movies) would each snag an individual point. Go you.

5) Can I rewatch/reread?
Of course you can rewatch and reread! If it's been more than ten years since you last saw the movie, count it!

5a) What if I'm a parent?
If you're on the 25th viewing of Frozen, count them all! I've love to see those numbers.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/001dfba23c36f0daa45a81f1037cbcbe/tenor.gif?itemid=6096185

6) What should I read/watch?
Anything you like! Fiction, nonfiction, documentaries, graphic novels, technical manuals, the back of a shampoo bottle...ok, maybe not the shampoo bottle.

7) What if I want to watch television or play a game instead?
Sure, throw them in the count. For games, use best judgement as to whether it's a book or movie and annotate the listing accordingly. Television is one season = one listing, unless it's released in two parts i.e. Breaking Bad part 1 and part 2.

A brief summary/rundown of favorites or disappointments is suggested but not required. Recommendations based on someone else's list are also welcome, so everyone can pretend to be Amazon. (You like this, we think you'll like that)

Suggested posting format:

01/50 Books

sdfsdf
sdfsdf

01/50 Movies

sdfsdf
sdfsdf

https://www.goodreads.com/allegate

Reading prompt:

https://i0.wp.com/www.thenerddaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2019-Reading-Challenge.jpg

botley
03-19-2018, 08:12 PM
2/50 Books

1. Us Conductors by Sean Michaels (he of "Said the Gramophone" blogging fame) — a groovily dramatised fictional retelling of Léon Theremin/Lev Termen's life story and his doomed love affair with Clara Rockmore. Read most of it on a single plane ride, very nicely paced and rich in historical detail. Sappy ending, if you like that sort of thing. The brutal gulag scenes will be what stay with me, however. Highly recommended.

2. Haddon Hall: When David invented Bowie by Néjib — another very quick read, and yet another fictionalised bio — this one a graphic novella narrated from the perspective of the titular home rented by the Bowies and hangers-on in the early 1970s. Once again, very entertaining and highly recommended.

2/50 Movies

1. The Trip to Spain (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trip_to_Spain) — yep, the third in this bewilderingly ongoing but funny road trip saga of Steve Coogan + Rob Brydon trekking across the continent in a shuffly, irrelevant white Englishman kinda way. Not sure what other madcap misfortunes may yet sideline them from rote midlife meditations amid the usual trading of witty barbs over delicious looking local delicacies? Tune in! Very good Mick Jagger impersonations, too!

2. My Brooklyn (http://www.mybrooklynmovie.com/) — pretty relevant to my interests, a documentary about the racist history of neighbourhood divisions and the economic factors underlying gentrification in American cities. A little heavy-handed with the superfluous personal backstory/narration on the filmmaker's part, but lots of compelling historical footage (I love watching me a juicy town hall meeting). Discovered this through the Kanopy app, which streams lots of great stuff for free via access to your local public library system.

GibbonBlack
03-19-2018, 11:57 PM
Shit, I'm already at 46 movies and I didn't even know about this!

botley
03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
List 'em!

GibbonBlack
03-20-2018, 10:20 AM
01 01 18
Paterson

01 01 18
The Meyerowitz Stories: New and Selected

01 01 18
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

01 01 18
Good Time

01 01 18
Deep Water

01 01 18
Freaks

04 01 18
Lucky

05 01 18
Alan Partridge: Why When Where How

05 01 18
AlphaGo

06 01 18
From Here to Eternity

06 01 18
Canada's Original Vigilante Pedophile Hunter

06 01 18
City of Ghosts

06 01 18
Casting JonBenet

08 01 18
Oklahoma City

09 01 18
Best of Enemies

10 01 18
The Cats of Mirikitani

12 01 18
The Shape of Water

12 01 18
Ingrid Goes West

13 01 18
9 11

13 01 18
LA 92

20 01 18
Wings of Desire

20 01 18
Molly's Game

21 01 18
Thor: Ragnorak

26 01 18
Darkest Hour

26 01 18
The Post

27 01 18
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail

27 01 18
Mom and Dad

06 02 18
Suburbicon

08 02 18
Coco

10 02 18
Fifty Shades Freed

16 02 18
On The Waterfront

17 02 18
First They Killed My Father

19 02 18
The Snowman

19 02 18
The Death of Stalin

22 02 18
Phantom Thread

22 02 18
Roman J. Israel ESQ.

23 02 18
Justice League

02 03 18
Murder on the Orient Express

02 03 18
Mute

02 03 18
Strong Island

03 03 18
Marty

03 03 18
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

11 03 18
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

17 03 18
Annihilation

17 03 18
Downsizing

18 03 18
Denial

^That's copied from my spreadsheet. Sorry I'm breaking the format :rolleyes:

There's a couple of shorts on there, I never know if it's fair to include them in the list. But whatever, it's my list :p

botley
03-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Wow! Any particular recommendations?

allegate
03-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Because no one comes in here!

Shit, now I have to update my list.

Books

Son of Retro Pulp Tales by Joe R. Lansdale
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures by Aaron Mahnke
A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel by Hope Larson
Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys: A Novel by Eric Garcia
We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates
William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Null States by Malka Ann Older
Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1) by Grant Naylor
Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2) by Grant Naylor
Backwards (Red Dwarf #4) by Rob Grant
Last Human (Red Dwarf #3) by Doug Naylor
Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories by Mike Birbiglia

While I was reading the Red Dwarf books I thought to myself, "I really should have watched at least one episode first." After reading the books and watching a few episodes, "Wow I'm glad I read the books first.

The Null States book (and it's predecessor, Infomocracy) seem eerily prescient what with the release of the Cambridge Analytics information.

Movies

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
The Dark Tower (2017)
Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Justice League Dark (2017)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Journey Through the Past (1974)
Coco (2017)
The Music of Strangers (2015)

The Music of Strangers was also released on BBC this year with another title. Kind of weird. At any rate, the documentary was pretty good, highly recommended. I especially liked when they were discussing with reporters about how something like this cannot dilute a culture, but bring them closer together. I feel like that's a strong message for today.

GibbonBlack
03-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Wow! Any particular recommendations?

On The Waterfront is the best from that list!

Mantra
03-20-2018, 12:53 PM
01 01 18
paterson

01 01 18
the meyerowitz stories: New and selected

Hey, cool, what a weird coincidence. I also watched both Paterson and The Meyerowitz Stories back to back, and I thought that, even though they were both very different, they sort of complimented each other. They were both really interesting explorations of what it means to devote your life to being an artist, even when that doesn't mean becoming famous.

There's a certain dignity to the way that Paterson just writes his poetry and keeps it to himself. I think he does it to feel connected to things and for the sincere joy of expression. There's something kind of pure about that, and it's interesting to contrast him with the Dustin Hoffman character in The Meyerowitz Stories, because he's like the exact opposite. He's consumed by own insecurity and bitterness about not being more famous for his art and it warps him and turns him into an emotionally abusive narcissist. His devotion to art is selfish and corrupting, but for Paterson, it's like a tonic, something to help him cope with the monotony of his life.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but I just thought it was interesting how there was a bit of thematic overlap between those two movies that I hadn't expected to find.

GibbonBlack
03-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Hey, cool, what a weird coincidence. I also watched both Paterson and The Meyerowitz Stories back to back, and I thought that, even though they were both very different, they sort of complimented each other. They were both really interesting explorations of what it means to devote your life to being an artist, even when that doesn't mean becoming famous.

There's a certain dignity to the way that Paterson just writes his poetry and keeps it to himself. I think he does it to feel connected to things and for the sincere joy of expression. There's something kind of pure about that, and it's interesting to contrast him with the Dustin Hoffman character in The Meyerowitz Stories, because he's like the exact opposite. He's consumed by own insecurity and bitterness about not being more famous for his art and it warps him and turns him into an emotionally abusive narcissist. His devotion to art is selfish and corrupting, but for Paterson, it's like a tonic, something to help him cope with the monotony of his life.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but I just thought it was interesting how there was a bit of thematic overlap between those two movies that I hadn't expected to find.

I didn't really like Paterson whilst I was watching it, but I kept thinking about it for days and days and it really grew on me.

I'd never thought about the connection between the two but you're right, there are some slight similarities.

....I've met Sigourney Weaver :D

botley
03-20-2018, 10:12 PM
3/50 Movies

3. Eric Clapton — Life in 12 Bars ...ehhhhh it's okay, but I'm far from the world's biggest fan. Nice to see the Layla sessions explored in some depth.

3/50 Books

3. Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier by Mark Frost — Oh yes Mama! Fun little recap of all the twists and turns in the new series. A very dry wit, has ol' Frosty.

allegate
03-26-2018, 12:57 PM
15/50 Books

Shadow Moon (Chronicles of the Shadow War #1) by Chris Claremont, George Lucas

I think I should have watched at least one episode of the show before reading that series. I read 4 before 3 because I saw a review that said it followed from book 2 a lot better and just sampling the intro to 3 I had to agree. Now that I've finished 3...yeah, I should have read these in order. I think Rob Grant had a much better grasp of the characters than Doug Naylor.

Mike's book is, if you've seen any of his stand-ups, basically that but you have to read it instead of watch it. There's some other stuff but it's basically the same. Still hilarious though. I read it with my son and we were laughing at some parts so hard we were crying. It was fun.

Gods , Shadow Moon was just bad. I put the second one on hold today at the library because maybe - just maybe - the story gets better. Also I hate giving up on books so I'm probably going to hate-read the next two books. I'm glad I've got two other books going at the same time so I can take breaks.

15/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)

The Big Sick was OK, but also really good. I think I'm biased because of my wife's pain issue but it got me good. I liked how she woke up and was like, "Dude you're being creepy. Just because you were here doesn't mean I have to like you again." I think the resulting part of the movie was a little too movie-tropes but I guess it's hard to show how complex feelings can be when you only have 90 minutes.

GibbonBlack
03-31-2018, 06:45 PM
I made it passed 50 movies today :eek:

18 03 18
Denial

24 03 18
The Cloverfield Paradox

24 03 18
The Party

25 03 18
The Greatest Showman

31 03 18
Around the World in 80 Days

31 03 18
Clowntown

Mantra
04-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Man...I could never commit to this 50/50 thing because I just don't have the time. God I hate being a grown up. I could probably pull of 25/25, but no way could I manage 50/50.

lloyd_dhr
04-06-2018, 12:46 PM
I've only just stumbled across this thread, so I've collated my list of watched films and read books I've finished this year so far:

FILMS 53/50:

Ratatouille
Fantasia
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
Wild At Heart
Wes Craven’s New Nightmare
Morvern Callar
Big Eyes
Smashed
99 Homes
Faults
La La Land
The Shape of Water
Wonder Wheel
You were never really here
Thor Rangarok
Coco
Mother
Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri
The Death of Stalin
Murder On The Orient Express
Mute
Ladybird
Annihilation
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle
I Tonya
Aaaaaaaaah!
Brakes
Ghost Stories
Tragedy Girls
LA92
Paddington 2
The Final Year
Black Panther
The Killing of A Sacred Deer
Pyewacket
Solo: A Star Wars Story
How To Talk To Girls At Parties
Avengers: Infinity War
The Boy
Thoroughbreds
The Last Actor
Rampage
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
Roman J. Esq
Lucky
Resolution
Spring
The Endless
We Need To Talk About Kevin
The Incredibles 2
Journeyman

Books: 47/50

Martin Luther King Jr. - Letter from Birmingham Jail / The Three Dimensions Of A Complete Life
Akutagawa & Others – Three Japanese Short Stories
Ralph Ellison – The Black Ball (Short Stories)
Nikolai Gogol – The Nose
White Nights – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Emily Dickinson – My Life Had Stood A Loaded Gun
Fyodor Dostoyevsky – The Meek One
Gaito Gazdanov & Others – Four Russian Short Stories
Franz Kafka – Investigations of a Dog
Alan McGee – Creation Stories
Mark Frost – Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
Patrick Ness – A Monster Calls
Kevin Eldon – My Prefect Cousin
Spike Millingan – The Bible According to Spike Milligan
Nathan Filer – The Shock Of The Fall
Jonathan Ames – Wake Up Sir!
Henry Rollins – Smile You’re Travelling
Henry Rollins – Do I Come Here Often?
Rachel Cusk – Arlington Park
Alissa Nutting – Tampa
Miriam Toewes – All My Puny Sorrows
Leila Johnston – Enemy Of Chaos
John Dowie – The Freewheeling John Dowie
Milan Kundera – Life Is Elsewhere
Alex Garland – The Coma
Alex Wade – The Pac-Man Principle: A Users Guide To Capitalism.
Eldridge Cleaver – Post-Prison Writings & Speeches.
Padraig Kenny – Tin
David Lynch & Kristine Mckenna – Room To Dream
Grow Up – Ben Brooks
Simon Amstell – Help
Han Kang – The White Book
Han Kang – The Vegetarian
Max Porter – Grief Is the Thing With Feathers
Maya Angelou - I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Mark Frost – The Secret History of Twin Peaks
Richard Aoyade – The Grip of Film
Peter Hook – The Hacienda, How Not To Run A Club
Charles Bukowski – Post Office
The School of Life – How To Find Love
Matt Haig – The Possession of Mr. Cave
Maya Angelou – Gather Together In My Name
Ferdie Addis – The Good Samaritan Bites The Dust
David Lynch – Catching The Big Fish
Derren Brown – Happy
Matt Haig – Notes From A Nervous Planet
John Yorke – Into The Woods

*editing as I go along.

allegate
04-10-2018, 12:19 PM
17/50 Books

Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the Wrong Questions #1) by Lemony Snicket
You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words--and Their Tangled Histories of Misuse by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras

19/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Chronicle (2012)
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
Darkest Hour (2017)
The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)

Chronicle was probably lightning in a bottle for Max Landis and Josh Trank as they've not done much since. The Last Knight wasn't worth the 0's and 1's on the disc. Darkest Hour was, without a doubt, a vehicle solely to get an Oscar for Gary Oldman.

The Man Who Invented Christmas was an alright film, though there were a few pacing issues.

Next up: "Their Finest" to complete the Dunkirk trilogy.

Side note - was there something about Dunkirk/Churchill this past year that I missed? Three movies about the event, two about the man. Or is this a mega Armageddon/Deep Impact Antz/A Bug's Life thing?

allegate
05-11-2018, 06:06 PM
@lloyd_dhr (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1773) - what did you think about "Do I Come Here Often?"

26/50 Books

You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words--and Their Tangled Histories of Misuse by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras
Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! by Polly Horvath
When Did You See Her Last? (All the Wrong Questions #2) by Lemony Snicket
Lord and Lady Bunny--Almost Royalty! by Polly Horvath
File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents (All the Wrong Questions, #2.5) by Lemony Snicket
Shadow Dawn (Chronicles of the Shadow War #2) by Chris Claremont, George Lucas
1984 by George Orwell
Moone Boy: The Blunder Years by Chris O'Dowd
Dragonslayer by Wayland Drew
Willow (Chronicles of the Shadow War) by Wayland Drew

25/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Chronicle (2012)
Darkest Hour (2017)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Ready Player One (2018)
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Paddington 2 (2017)

The Bunny books are great fun to read out loud and if you (or your audience) aren't giggling then you're doing something wrong.

I actually read two Snicket books that make up the 2.5 book (confusing, I know) but for the sake of the contest I'm doing the combined version. If you like Encyclopedia Brown, these are way too easy for you. None of them were challenging, and one even stretched the boundaries of that a mystery actually is. Though if you like the characters from the Question series then you might like this too.

Shadow Dawn was a lot better than the previous book, but still too much description. It's like Claremont feels restricted by comic book borders and decided to take on the lot.

1984 is a gut punch, but the post script is heartening.

Jumanji was a better film than it had any right to be. I'm not OK that they're making a 3rd one with the same cast (Rock, etc) because wtf could the movie be about? They are video game characters so they shouldn't remember anything, just be avatars for someone else. Not much of a continuation, really. Maybe they'll surprise again.

lloyd_dhr
05-13-2018, 10:27 AM
allegate - I enjoyed it, but found his ranting to be a bit annoying, which I put down to me being twenty years older since the last time I approached his written work!

allegate
05-14-2018, 10:26 AM
@lloyd_dhr (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1773) - that's pretty much how I felt too. I read it last year and had to keep reminding myself that 20 years ago I was a douche canoe as well. Not as famous as some, sure, but still.

GibbonBlack
05-30-2018, 12:25 PM
I've been on a Documentary binge today and went passed 100 movies :D

04 04 18
Wild Wild Country

06 04 18
The Florida Project

06 04 18
Gerald's Game

07 04 18
All the Money in the World

08 04 18
Wonder

08 04 18
You Were Never Really Here

09 04 18
Paterno

09 04 18
Byzantium

09 04 18
The Babysitter

14 04 18
The Immigration Game

18 04 18
Society

18 04 18
Police Story

21 04 18
Only the Brave

23 04 18
This Must Be the Place

23 04 18
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

23 04 18
The Maltese Falcon

28 04 18
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

28 04 18
The Last Movie Star

29 04 18
Super Troopers

29 04 18
Bride Tripping

29 04 18
The Avengers: Infinity War

29 04 18
Lake Mungo

30 04 18
Food Inc.

30 04 18
Please Stand By

30 04 18
Black Hawk Down

30 04 18
Goodbye Christopher Robin

30 04 18
20th Century Women

05 05 18
The Bridge on the River Kwai

05 05 18
Game Night

05 05 18
Downfall

12 05 18
All the President's Men

14 05 18
The 15:17 to Paris

14 05 18
Bonfire of the Vanities

15 05 18
Red Sparrow

15 05 18
Black Snake Moan

15 05 18
I Kill Giants

15 05 18
Millions

16 05 18
Evil Genius

20 05 18
Beyond Skyline

20 05 18
Deadpool 2

21 05 18
Sing Street

28 05 18
Lost in London

29 05 18
The Tale

29 05 18
Suspiria

30 05 18
Black Panther

30 05 18
78/52

30 05 18
The Work

30 05 18
Voyeur

allegate
08-10-2018, 01:46 PM
58/50 Books

File Under: 13 Suspicious Incidents (All the Wrong Questions, #2.5) by Lemony Snicket
1984 by George Orwell
Moone Boy: The Fish Detective by Chris O'Dowd
The Last Jedi by Jason Fry (AB)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein (AB)
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries #1) by Martha Wells (AB)
The Smartest Book in the World by Greg Proops (AB)
Only Human (Themis Files #3) by Sylvain Neuvel (AB)
Shadow Star (Chronicles of the Shadow War #3) by Chris Claremont
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill (AB)
Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo
Shouldn't You Be in School? (All the Wrong Questions #3) by Lemony Snicket
Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch
Wayward (Wayward Pines #2) by Blake Crouch
Horns by Joe Hill (AB)
The Last Town (Wayward Pines #3) by Blake Crouch
Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris
Mustache Shenanigans: Making Super Troopers and Other Adventures in Comedy by Jay Chandrasekhar
Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (All the Wrong Questions #4) by Lemony Snicket
Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka
FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven
The Escape Artist by Brad Meltzer
Savage Season (Hap and Leonard #1) by Joe R. Lansdale
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (Burton & Swinburne #1) by Mark Hodder
Adjustment Day by Chuck Palahniuk
False Idols (The Dragon Lords #2) by Jon Hollins
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
Night Shift by Stephen King
Blindsight (Firefall #1) by Peter Watts
The Blade Itself (The First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie
Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew #1) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
Gideon's Corpse (Gideon Crew #2) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
The Hatching (The Hatching #1) by Ezekiel Boone
The Lost Island (Gideon Crew #3) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
Beyond the Ice Limit (Gideon Crew #4) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

If you've seen the Moone Boy television series you have an idea of what the books are about. The first one is basically an extended version of the first episode whereas the second one combines episodes 2 and 3 with another 'extended' story.

The Last Jedi was a good addendum to the film.

Adjustment Day is a mid-tier book from Chuck. I liked the book, I just thought that there were too many stories that were largely ignored near the end. Oh and the cover is a huge problem for me: It says twice (once by the person who 'wrote' the book-within-the-book) that it's the left ear. What's on the cover? Right ears! Lazy art. (view spoiler)

This book certainly is an exercise in radicalization. There were many times where I was thinking to myself, "This guy's saying what we're all thinking" and then I realized that he was a crazy person and I was agreeing with a crazy person. That's how it starts: you hear some of the arguments that sound like they were tailor made for you and it can make you disregard the other parts that don't and then suddenly you're driving a Dodge Charger in Charlottesville.

False Idols was alright but you could probably cut 15% of the book out if you just had some characters talk to each other instead of doing the usual trope of "no, not my problem yet so I'm going to ignore it for now until it is my problem". Some funny bits though and the third one is out next month.

Challenger Deep is hard to review because it's a product of time for me as the last two months or so have seen me hitting the deepest (hence the title) parts of my depression ever so reading this was like reading a book someone wrote to me. (I'm not schizophrenic though so that part missed me by).

The part that stood out for me the most is where Caden realizes that while his mental illness is affecting him, it is also affecting his family. It's certainly possible to lose yourself in your illness to the point where you forget about what it's doing to the people around you. It's hard to force yourself to see outside of what is happening to you to see what is happening to them.

I'm purchasing the hardcover so I can highlight parts and write in the margins.

Summertime means shit books, right? Hence my re-read of the first four Gideon Crew books. They are not good, in case you're wondering.

The Hatching was a pretty enjoyable romp though it ramps up to a point where you wonder how to pull two more books out of it, especially given some of the science used (and ignored, both) in the book.

The Blade Itself was great. I can't wait to keep going in that series.

43/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Chronicle (2012)
Darkest Hour (2017)
Ready Player One (2018)
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Paddington 2 (2017)
The Greatest Showman (2017)
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Solo (2018)
Annihilation (2018)
The Shape of Water (2017)
Incredibles 2 (2018)
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
Sherlock Gnomes (2018)
CHiPS (2017)
The Equalizer (2014)
Bubble Boy (2001)
Beerfest (2006)
Best in Show (2000)
Keeping Up with the Joneses (2016)
Inside Man (2006)
Mission Impossible 2 (2000)
Downsizing (2017)

Peter Rabbit/Paddington 2 were serviceable kids movies I guess. The Greatest Showman had some good moments in between some that were questionable. The one song "Never Enough" though was amazing. Just...wow.

And watching The Shape of Water so soon after Paddington 2...probably not recommended! My wife actually wanted to watch that one as a family because our son is 13 and I had to tell her no. She didn't think it was that bad until we got to the end where Mrs. Paddington is naked and then describing via pantomime how Abe Sapiens performs.

Chips was hilarious. I've only seen Michael Peña in the Ant-Man movie (and I guess Wrinkle but that was dumb) so it was great seeing how funny he was. The Equalizer was pretty good, though a little extended, if that makes sense? Bubble Boy was kind of dumb, though Zach Galifianakis was hilarious. The incredibly racist Chinese-guy scene was pretty awkward to be sure. And the weird poontang editing with the backfires? They could say poonanny but not poontang? Beerfest was just muddled.
Keeping Up with the Joneses was better than I expected. It wasn't hilarious but it was funny enough. Best scene was at the end where Isla Fisher was talking to Gal Gadot about being in their underwear and Patton Oswalt interrupted and said, "wait, are you talking to her? Proceed."

Inside Man was a re-watch with my wife. It's still a very good movie but there were some points that made me question the film logic instead of accept it. I think even a throwaway line about how they found out about the box would have been good. I saw some fan theories and they make sense but it's left open in the film.

MI2 was a John Woo film, yup. I had heard it was the worst of the series and I have to say, having only seen 1 and now 2, that it's probably true. My son wanted to watch them all to get ready for the newest one and at the end he said, "let's just skip the rest, that was terrible." I convinced him to watch them by saying that I heard that 3 was the best in the series.

GibbonBlack
08-10-2018, 03:27 PM
MI2 was a John Woo film, yup. I had heard it was the worst of the series and I have to say, having only seen 1 and now 2, that it's probably true. My son wanted to watch them all to get ready for the newest one and at the end he said, "let's just skip the rest, that was terrible." I convinced him to watch them by saying that I heard that 3 was the best in the series.

2 is by FAR the worst. 3 has a great villian. From then on they are just all darn good action movies.

If you made it through 2 you'll be happy with the quality of the rest

allegate
08-10-2018, 04:07 PM
The best thing I can say about 2 is that without it, we wouldn't have Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and probably wouldn't have a Fox Marvel series as good as what we got.
Russell Crowe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Crowe) was Singer's first choice to play Wolverine, but he turned it down,[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-hughes-4) instead recommending his friend, actor Hugh Jackman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Jackman) for the part.[30] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-30) Jackman was an unknown actor at the time, while a number of more established actors offered their services for the role, with Singer casting Dougray Scott (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dougray_Scott). Part of Scott's contract included a sequel, but backed out due to scheduling conflicts with Mission: Impossible 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Impossible_2) in early October 1999 and was injured in a motorbike accident.[31] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-31)[32] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-32)[33] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-33) Jackman was then cast three weeks into filming, based on a successful audition.[34] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-34) Glenn Danzig (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Danzig) was invited by 20th Century Fox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Fox) to audition for the role of Wolverine, as his height and build closely resemble that of the film's protagonist, as described in the original comic books. However, he declined due to scheduling conflicts with his band.[35] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(film)#cite_note-35)

GibbonBlack
08-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that once. Also in 2 you have that amazing bit at the start with Cruise climbing those cliff faces. That's some great stunt work.

From 3 onwards they really solidify Ethan as his own character too, so he becomes a better protagonist.

allegate
08-16-2018, 11:19 AM
67/50 Books

1984 by George Orwell
Horns by Joe Hill (AB)
Mustache Shenanigans: Making Super Troopers and Other Adventures in Comedy by Jay Chandrasekhar
Why Is This Night Different from All Other Nights? (All the Wrong Questions #4) by Lemony Snicket
Blindsight (Firefall #1) by Peter Watts
The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
The Authorities™ by Scott Meyer
Frank Miller's RoboCop by Frank Miller (GN)
Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe (Deadpool Killogy #1) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Deadpool Kills Deadpool (Deadpool Killogy #3) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Deadpool vs. Carnage (Deadpool VS) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: The Official Movie Novelization by Christie Golden (AB)
Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero

Since I read the other four Gideon Crew books and got all caught up I read the fifth one. Not good either. They give the guy a death sentence in the first book, say they want to write 12, and then it just ends in 5 with him still alive but the story is effectively done because the in-story doctors say you have three months and the story takes 2 months and three weeks. They should have had him die as the final page, I would have been happier with that.

The Authorities was a really fun book, and bonus if you live in Seattle it's set there and has some good local humor.

The graphic novels were all fair to middling except for Robocop which was pretty bad and all over the place storywise. I just couldn't care for any character and the story was just too over the top in violence and sexualization. I don't know what Frank was going for but I think I figured out why they didn't use his story for the film.

Deadpool was just OK. I assume the one-shots like these are not as well written as a longer storyline, maybe? They just seemed rote.

Valerian was pretty terrible. First you have a pretty straight retelling of the movie, but then there's also little to no internal dialogue to help bring more life out of the characters. For as bad as the characters were in the film they are even flatter here.

Meddling Kids was a standout. Imagine the last case of the Scooby gang was a real monster and they grew up and then 13 years later go back to find out what actually happened and then suddenly it's Cthulu-time, that's what you get here.
There's some weird writing styles going on - it will switch the dialogue would change from standard quotation marks and dialogue tags to script style in the middle of a scene. There are multiple 4th wall references like "the monster blah blah blah and didn't even survive this paragraph" or another part where it's talking about monster Mu (as in the Greek letter) and then it says "getting back to Mu from four lines ago". There's even a part with a monster (as in monsters and the sheer size of the crowd) fight that is at least a page long and is one sentence. It gives it a frantic style that I could appreciate but I also skimmed because I don't care who punches who where or slices this or that appendage off when it's this frantic. It was a little busy in that regard.
I think when I'm done with it - I'm right near the end - it'll probably be a 3.5 out of 5. It has some decent humor and the way he turns a phrase has me frequently re-reading sections just to enjoy them again. "The corner chaise lounge was for catatonics. The sofa was a sort of UN demilitarized zone, an upholstered Jerusalem that members of different creeds reluctantly shared during interbellum periods." Which leads me to this review I'm reading on Goodreads:
From the beginning, the way that Cantero chose to describe or word particular scenes became bothersome. I began to feel rather unintelligent: 'sotto voce'd', 'perennial kawaii smile', 'Byronian face', 'Greenwich parallel of Eternia'. Umm, HUH? Maybe I should know what some of these mean, but without looking them up I simply passed right over them, not a clue.It's made funnier that she mentions in the previous paragraph that she liked She-Ra but then she doesn't get Greenwich parallel of Eternia. Also he's from Barcelona so English isn't even his first language.

44/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Chronicle (2012)
Darkest Hour (2017)
Ready Player One (2018)
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Paddington 2 (2017)
Solo (2018)
Annihilation (2018)
Incredibles 2 (2018)
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
Sherlock Gnomes (2018)
CHiPS (2017)
The Equalizer (2014)
Bubble Boy (2001)
Beerfest (2006)
Best in Show (2000)
Inside Man (2006)
Downsizing (2017)
Collateral Beauty (2016)
sdf

Downsizing the Trailer had a pretty dumb premise - let's get little and drink! - but Downsizing the Movie was actually alright, for a bit. It just seemed to me to be all over the place with what it wanted to do. A few good ideas that were dropped too quickly and then a bummer (maybe?) of an ending.

Collateral Beauty was just strange. I thought it was a serious movie but they kept having lots of funny comedic bits in weird places. It got to where I asked my wife and she said, "What's funny about it so far?" which made me wonder what's up with my humor. I called the last twist almost immediately when I saw it but the first one I didn't see coming until a few seconds before it happened. And holy cow...I just checked Wikipedia because I was going to complain about the one person being so much younger than Will Smith but she's only 8 years younger. She looks like she could be early 30s, that's amazing. The tech of removing a person from a scene like they did was just a little far-fetched, especially the one on the subway.

lloyd_dhr
12-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Right. Here we go. I somehow managed 68 books and 70 films. I clearly have too much time on my hands:

Books:

1. Martin Luther King Jr. - Letter from Birmingham Jail / The Three Dimensions Of A Complete Life
2. Akutagawa & Others – Three Japanese Short Stories
3. Ralph Ellison – The Black Ball (Short Stories)
4. Nikolai Gogol – The Nose
5. White Nights – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
6. Emily Dickinson – My Life Had Stood A Loaded Gun
7. Fyodor Dostoyevsky – The Meek One
8. Gaito Gazdanov & Others – Four Russian Short Stories
9. Franz Kafka – Investigations of a Dog
10. Alan McGee – Creation Stories
11. Mark Frost – Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
12. Patrick Ness – A Monster Calls
13. Kevin Eldon – My Prefect Cousin
14. Spike Millingan – The Bible According to Spike Milligan
15. Nathan Filer – The Shock Of The Fall
16. Jonathan Ames – Wake Up Sir!
17. Henry Rollins – Smile You’re Travelling
18. Henry Rollins – Do I Come Here Often?
19. Rachel Cusk – Arlington Park
20. Alissa Nutting – Tampa
21. Miriam Toewes – All My Puny Sorrows
22. Leila Johnston – Enemy Of Chaos
23. John Dowie – The Freewheeling John Dowie
24. Milan Kundera – Life Is Elsewhere
25. Alex Garland – The Coma
26. Alex Wade – The Pac-Man Principle: A Users Guide To Capitalism.
27. Eldridge Cleaver – Post-Prison Writings & Speeches.
28. Padraig Kenny – Tin
29. David Lynch & Kristine Mckenna – Room To Dream
30. Grow Up – Ben Brooks
31. Simon Amstell – Help
32. Han Kang – The White Book
33. Han Kang – The Vegetarian
34. Max Porter – Grief Is the Thing With Feathers
35. Maya Angelou - I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
36. Mark Frost – The Secret History of Twin Peaks
37. Richard Aoyade – The Grip of Film
38. Peter Hook – The Hacienda, How Not To Run A Club
39. Charles Bukowski – Post Office
40. The School of Life – How To Find Love
41. Matt Haig – The Possession of Mr. Cave
42. Maya Angelou – Gather Together In My Name
43. Ferdie Addis – The Good Samaritan Bites The Dust
44. David Lynch – Catching The Big Fish
45. Derren Brown – Happy
46. Matt Haig – Notes From A Nervous Planet
47. Haruki Murakami – Kafka On The Shore
48. John Ajvide Lindqvist – I Am Behind You
49. John Ajvide Lindqvist – I Will Always Find You
50. Igort – 5 Is The Perfect Number
51. Frederik Peeters - Pachyderme
52. Patrick Ness – The Rest Of Us Just Live Here
53. Haruki Murakami – Killing Commendatore
54. Joe Lycett – Parsnips, Buttered.
59. Bridgite Christie – A Book For Her
60. Ryu Murakami – In The Miso Soup
61. Jonathan Ames – I Pass Like Night
62. Francoise Sagan – The Heart Keeper
63. J.B. Smoove – Leon Black: The Book Of Leon
64. F. Scott Fitzgerald – Magentism
65. Bryan Lee O’Malley – Lost At Sea
66. Michael Cunningham – A Wild Swan
55. Matt Haig – A Boy Called Christmas
56. Matt Haig – The Girl Who Saved Christmas
57. Matt Haig – Father Christmas and Me
58. Matt Haig – The Truth Pixie
67. Beastie Boys – Beastie Boys Book
68. Martin Amis – Einstein’s Monsters.

FILMS:

Demons
Morvern Callar
We Need To Talk About Kevin
Smashed
99 Homes
XX
Faults
Goodbye Solo
A Glimpse Into The Mind Of Charles Swan III
La La Land
The Shape of Water
Wonder Wheel
You were never really here
Thor Rangarok
Coco
Mother
Three Billboards in Ebbing Missouri
Murder On The Orient Express
Mute
Ladybird
Annihilation
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle
I Tonya
Aaaaaaaaah!
Brakes

Ghost Stories
Tragedy Girls
LA92
Paddington 2
The Final Year
Black Panther
The Killing of A Sacred Deer
How To Talk To Girls At Parties
Avengers: Infinity War
The Boy
Thoroughbreds
The Last Actor
Rampage
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
Roman J. Esq
Lucky
Resolution
Spring
The Endless
The Incredibles 2
Journeyman
Spiderman Homecoming
Hereditary
Ant Man and The Wasp
Under The Shadow
Isle Of Dogs
Christopher Robin
Mandy
Climax
Baskin
Upgrade
A Glimpse Into The Mind Of Charles Swan III
The Devil and Father Amorth
Possum
Sorry To Bother You
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Venom
Three Identical Strangers
Stan and Ollie
Fahrenheit 11/9
The Man From Mo’ Wax
The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From A Mythical Man
The House That Jack Built

GibbonBlack
12-28-2018, 06:22 PM
12. Thoroughbreds

Out of all of the new movies I've watched this year that's a real standout. What did you think?

allegate
12-28-2018, 07:24 PM
98/50 Books

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher (AB)
Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (Red Dwarf #1) by Grant Naylor (AB)
Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2) by Grant Naylor (AB)
Backwards (Red Dwarf #4) by Rob Grant (AB)
Last Human (Red Dwarf #3) by Doug Naylor (AB)
You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras
1984 by George Orwell (AB)
Horns by Joe Hill (AB)
Blindsight (Firefall #1) by Peter Watts (AB)
The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew #5) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
The Authorities™ by Scott Meyer
Frank Miller's RoboCop by Frank Miller (GN)
Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe (Deadpool Killogy #1) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Deadpool Kills Deadpool (Deadpool Killogy #3) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Deadpool vs. Carnage (Deadpool VS) by Cullen Bunn (GN)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: The Official Movie Novelization by Christie Golden (AB)
A-Force Presents Vol. 1 by Nathan Edmondson (GN)
Mechanical Failure (Epic Failure #1) by Joe Zieja (AB)
A-Force Presents Vol. 2 by Nathan Edmondson (GN)
A-Force Presents Vol. 3 by Nathan Edmondson (GN)
Run Program by Scott Meyer (AB)
Ghosts of Greenglass House (Greenglass House #2) by Kate Milford
The Elementals by Michael McDowell
The Circle by Dave Eggers
The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1) by Maryrose Wood
Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command by W. Haden Blackman (GN)
The World of Lore: Wicked Mortals by Aaron Mahnke
The X-Files: Cold Cases (The X-Files (Audible Original) #1) by Joe Harris (AB)
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky, Boris Strugatsky (AB)
The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues by Ellen Raskin
Year Zero by Rob Reid (AB)
The Hidden Gallery (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2) by Maryrose Wood
Nightbooks by J.A. White
The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel) by Ellen Raskin
The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #3) by Maryrose Wood
The Interrupted Tale (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #4) by Maryrose Wood
Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge
The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #5) by Maryrose Wood
The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #6) by Maryrose Wood
The Thanos Quest (The Thanos Quest #1-2) by Jim Starlin (GN)
The Infinity Gauntlet (The Infinity Gauntlet #1-6) by Jim Starlin (GN)
The Criminal Mastermind of Baker Street by Rob Nunn
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
Sheets by Brenna Thummler (GN)
Semiosis by Sue Burke
Marvel's Spider-Man: Hostile Takeover by David Liss
Bad Faith (The Dragon Lords #3) by Jon Hollins

82/50 Movies

The Dark Tower (2017)
Justice League (2017)
Geostorm (2017)
The Book of Henry (2017)
Black Panther (2018)
Being Canadian (2015)
Willow (1988)
Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Coco (2017)
The Big Sick (2017)
Chronicle (2012)
Darkest Hour (2017)
Ready Player One (2018)
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Paddington 2 (2017)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Solo (2018)
Annihilation (2018)
Incredibles 2 (2018)
A Wrinkle in Time (2018)
Sherlock Gnomes (2018)
CHiPS (2017)
The Equalizer (2014)
Bubble Boy (2001)
Beerfest (2006)
Best in Show (2000)
Inside Man (2006)
Downsizing (2017)
Collateral Beauty (2016)
Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
Teen Wolf (1985)
Hellboy (2004)
Star Trek Beyond (2016)
The Monster Squad (1987)
Deadpool 2 (2018)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018)
Weird Science (1985)
War on Everyone (2016)
Inherent Vice (2014)
It Follows (2014)
Atomic Blonde (2017)
Tomb Raider (2017)
The Stepford Wives (2004)
Death Becomes Her (1992)
300: Rise of an Empire (2014)
Super Troopers 2 (2018)
The Huntsman: Winter's War (2016)
Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
Dragon Warriors (2015)
Lady in the Water (2006)
Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)
The Mummy (2017)
Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (2010)
Apollo 18 (2011)
Ocean's Eight (2018)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
In Bruges (2008)
Hotel Transylvania 3 (2018)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
Aquaman (2018)
Early Man (2018)

War on Everyone was pretty good, you can find it on Netflix.

Jurassic World was pretty straightforward and didn't show me anything new or exciting other than wondering how BD Wong keeps getting the nod.

Ralph was well done and surprised me in a few spots.

In Bruges was just brilliant. I mean, sure it was softened a bit with the memification of several key scenes but the only one that was played opposite intent was the scene in the art museum. I was so happy when I saw it as one of the options on the flight this morning. My wife was trying to sleep but I kept laughing and shaking her and the scenes on the screen were not at all helpful as to why I was laughing. I think my favorite parts were the scene when they were talking about the old lollipop man who knew karate and then the two callbacks later in the film where he punches that Canadian lady with the bottle ("Bottle!" *wham*) and when he karate chops the midget, "You don't know karate!"

Oh and "You're an inanimate fucking object!" "I apologize for calling you an inanimate object."

Crazy Rich Asians was just a travel brochure for Singapore.

Aquaman was a fine middling film. Lots I liked, some parts I didn't, but it was a good start to a new DC era.

In no particular order, the top ten books and movies of the year.

1984 by George Orwell (AB)
The Elementals by Michael McDowell
The Circle by Dave Eggers
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky, Boris Strugatsky (AB)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman

Black Panther (2018)
Paddington 2 (2017)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
Annihilation (2018)
Inside Man (2006)
War on Everyone (2016)
Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
In Bruges (2008)

EDIT: I'm working on the 2019 post. I'm going to make some changes to hopefully get more people interested.

allegro
12-29-2018, 02:26 PM
You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words by Ross Petras and Kathryn Petras

After I saw the above book on your list, I had to look it up because I love stuff like that; got it on Kindle, reading it now, LOVING it, thanks!

Boatswain = BO-zun or BO-sun.

I am reading way too many books at the same time (and not finishing some of them) and I did read a bunch this year but didn't list any; you guys are motivating, here!

lloyd_dhr
12-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Loved it. I knew nothing about it other than the poster grabbed me the second I saw it.

GibbonBlack
12-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Do Audiobooks count? If so I've done about 15 books. But, 240 new movies watched this year;

01 01 18
Paterson

01 01 18
The Meyerowitz Stories: New and Selected

01 01 18
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

01 01 18
Good Time

01 01 18
Deep Water

01 01 18
Freaks

04 01 18
Lucky

05 01 18
Alan Partridge: Why When Where How

05 01 18
AlphaGo

06 01 18
From Here to Eternity

06 01 18
Canada's Original Vigilante Pedophile Hunter

06 01 18
City of Ghosts

06 01 18
Casting JonBenet

08 01 18
Oklahoma City

09 01 18
Best of Enemies

10 01 18
The Cats of Mirikitani

12 01 18
The Shape of Water

12 01 18
Ingrid Goes West

13 01 18
9 11

13 01 18
LA 92

20 01 18
Wings of Desire

20 01 18
Molly's Game

21 01 18
Thor: Ragnorak

26 01 18
Darkest Hour

26 01 18
The Post

27 01 18
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail

27 01 18
Mom and Dad

06 02 18
Suburbicon

08 02 18
Coco

10 02 18
Fifty Shades Freed

16 02 18
On The Waterfront

17 02 18
First They Killed My Father

19 02 18
The Snowman

19 02 18
The Death of Stalin

22 02 18
Phantom Thread

22 02 18
Roman J. Israel ESQ.

23 02 18
Justice League

02 03 18
Murder on the Orient Express

02 03 18
Mute

02 03 18
Strong Island

03 03 18
Marty

03 03 18
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

04 03 18
Call Me by Your Name

11 03 18
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

17 03 18
Annihilation

17 03 18
Downsizing

18 03 18
Denial

24 03 18
The Cloverfield Paradox

24 03 18
The Party

25 03 18
The Greatest Showman

31 03 18
Around the World in 80 Days

31 03 18
Clowntown

04 04 18
Wild Wild Country

06 04 18
The Florida Project

06 04 18
Gerald's Game

07 04 18
All the Money in the World

08 04 18
Wonder

08 04 18
You Were Never Really Here

09 04 18
Paterno

09 04 18
Byzantium

09 04 18
The Babysitter

14 04 18
The Immigration Game

18 04 18
Society

18 04 18
Police Story

21 04 18
Only the Brave

23 04 18
This Must Be the Place

23 04 18
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

23 04 18
The Maltese Falcon

28 04 18
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

28 04 18
The Last Movie Star

29 04 18
Super Troopers

29 04 18
Bride Tripping

29 04 18
The Avengers: Infinity War

29 04 18
Lake Mungo

30 04 18
Food Inc.

30 04 18
Please Stand By

30 04 18
Black Hawk Down

30 04 18
Goodbye Christopher Robin

30 04 18
20th Century Women

05 05 18
The Bridge on the River Kwai

05 05 18
Game Night

05 05 18
Downfall

12 05 18
All the President's Men

14 05 18
The 15:17 to Paris

14 05 18
Bonfire of the Vanities

15 05 18
Red Sparrow

15 05 18
Black Snake Moan

15 05 18
I Kill Giants

15 05 18
Millions

16 05 18
Evil Genius

20 05 18
Beyond Skyline

20 05 18
Deadpool 2

21 05 18
Sing Street

28 05 18
Lost in London

29 05 18
The Tale

29 05 18
Suspiria

30 05 18
Black Panther

30 05 18
78/52

30 05 18
The Work

30 05 18
Voyeur

02 06 18
Death Wish

03 06 18
Tomb Raider

09 06 18
Gigi

12 06 18
To Kill a Mockingbird

13 06 18
Out West

13 06 18
The Bell Boy

19 06 18
Wildling

19 06 18
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

19 06 18
Ready, Player One

24 06 18
Mel Brooks: Make a Noise

25 06 18
Rampage

25 06 18
Borg vs. McEnroe

25 06 18
The Overnight

30 06 18
Isle of Dogs

30 06 18
Unrest

01 07 18
Hostiles

02 07 18
The China Syndrome

02 07 18
The Lure

02 07 18
Super Dark Times

02 07 18
Lady Macbeth

02 07 18
A Quiet Place

10 07 18
The Ballad of Lefty Brown

15 07 18
The Rachel Divide

15 07 18
The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson

15 07 18
Marjorie Prime

15 07 18
Mudbound

16 07 18
The Square

16 07 18
Blue Valentine

16 07 18
Certain Women

16 07 18
One of Us

22 07 18
Ben Hur

28 07 18
Mission Impossible: Fallout

31 07 18
Incredibles 2

02 08 18
Before Sunrise

02 08 18
Before Sunset

02 08 18
Before Midnight

03 08 18
Lawrence of Arabia

05 08 18
West Side Story

05 08 18
American Satan

07 08 18
First Reformed

09 08 18
Tully

09 08 18
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

12 08 18
Tag

12 08 18
Incendies

13 08 18
Zoe

13 08 18
The Beguiled

13 08 18
The Perfect Host

21 08 18
Tom Jones

22 08 18
The Omen

22 08 18
Oceans Eight

22 08 18
Corbin Nash

25 08 18
Upgrade

25 08 18
Won't You Be My Neighbour

25 08 18
PyeWacket

25 08 18
Hereditary

26 08 18
Police Story 2

26 08 18
The Last Laugh

27 08 18
All Is Lost

27 08 18
Bird Boy and the Forgotten Children

27 08 18
Virunga

27 08 18
Finders Keepers

27 08 18
My Beautiful Broken Brain

01 09 18
Cabaret

01 09 18
Little Dieter Needs to Fly

03 09 18
American Honey

03 09 18
Love, Simon

03 09 18
The Changeling

03 09 18
Manifesto

11 09 18
Laputa: Castle in the Sky

11 09 18

11 09 18
Sicario: Day of the Soldado

12 09 18
American Animals

12 09 18
Circus Kane

12 09 18
The Incredible Melting Man

15 09 18
Thoroughbreds

15 09 18
Flower

15 09 18
Bad Boy Bubby

15 09 18
Mandy

16 09 18
Hush

16 09 18
Nobody Speaks: The Trial of the Free Press

16 09 18
What Happened to Monday?

17 09 18
How to Talk to Girls at Parties

23 09 18
My Fair Lady

28 09 18
Eighth Grade

28 09 18
Izzy Gets the Fuck Across Town

28 09 18
Chef

29 09 18
The Princess and the Frog

01 10 18
Ant Man and the Wasp

01 10 18
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

02 10 18
Tree of Life

02 10 18
Hotel Artemis

03 10 18
Elle

03 10 18
Rita, Sue and Bob Too

03 10 18
Wonderstruck

03 10 18
Columbus

03 10 18
Breathe

03 10 18
Submergence

11 10 18
Bonnie and Clyde

11 10 18
Sorry to Bother You

12 10 18
Katie Says Goodbye

12 10 18
Little Children

12 11 18
They Shall Not Grow Old

16 11 18
Blackkklansman

16 11 18
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

16 11 18
Blindspotting

16 11 18
Galveston

16 11 18
Leave No Trace

23 11 18
Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas

30 11 18
Mile 22

30 11 18
Paris, Texas

01 12 18
Sharp Objects

01 12 18
Outlaw King

05 12 18
Raplh Breaks the Internet

07 12 18
Venom

08 12 18
Ant Head

08 12 18
The Sound of Music

13 12 18
The Last American Horror Show

14 12 18
I Think We're Alone Now

14 12 18
Under the Silver Lake

14 12 18
First Man

14 12 18
Roma

14 12 18
A Simple Favour

20 12 18
Mowgli

20 12 18
Operation Finale

20 12 18
The Clovehitch Killer

20 12 18
The House with a Clock in It's Walls

20 12 18
Johnny English Strikes Again

20 12 18
Elf

21 12 18
Mid90s

21 12 18
Bird Box

21 12 18
Mary Poppins Returns

21 12 18
Raw

24 12 18
Ellen: Relatable

28 12 18
The History of Bethesda Game Studios

28 12 18
Bandersnatch

28 12 18
Frances Ha

28 12 18
Magnus

28 12 18
Norman

28 12 18
Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski

31 12 18
The Taking of Pelham 123

allegate
01-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Audiobooks certainly count. And 240 movies? Wow. I did that two years ago when I had more of a commute and was on the bus more.

OP has been edited with 2019 rules and this post serves as the Maginot Line for the years.

edit: aw, I can't change the title? Weird.

GibbonBlack
02-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Boom. 50 movies!

01 01 19
Valley Uprising

01 01 19
Audrie and Daisy

01 01 19
I am Jane Doe

01 01 19
Tricked

01 01 19
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

01 01 19
Farenheit 11/9

04 01 19
Call Her Ganda

04 01 19
Interview with a Serial Killer

04 01 19
A Man for All Seasons

04 01 19
Norm MacDonald: Hitler's Dog, Gossip and Trickery

05 01 19
Adam Sandler 100% Fresh

10 01 19
Mean Streets

11 01 19
The Old Man and the Gun

11 01 19
Girlhood

11 01 19
Mars: Inside SpaceX

12 01 19
After Porn Ends 3

12 01 19
The Predator

12 01 19
Christopher Robin

12 01 19
Wildlife

12 01 19
Titanic (1943)

16 01 19
Frenzy

16 01 19
BodySnatch

16 01 19
The Trader

19 01 19
Fyre: The Greatest Party that Never Happened

19 01 19
Boy Erased

19 01 19
A Star is Born

22 01 19
Bohemian Rhapsody

23 01 19
Minding the Gap

23 01 19
RBG

23 01 19
Cold War

28 01 19
Glass

29 01 19
Vice

29 01 19
Green Book

29 01 19
Suspiria (2018)

29 01 19
Can You Ever Forgive Me?

30 01 19
The Favourite

30 01 19
The Wife

30 01 19
If Beale Street Could Talk

30 01 19
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

30 01 19
Widows

30 01 19
Get Me Roger Stone!

01 02 19
The Last Vampire on Earth

01 02 19
Seeing Allred

01 02 19
The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography

02 02 19
Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

02 02 19
Sour Grapes

02 02 19
I Called Him Morgan

02 02 19
Velvet Buzzsaw

04 02 19
Mortal Engines

04 02 19
Wilson

allegate
12-09-2019, 03:49 PM
69/50 Books

Cable & Deadpool, Volume 1: If Looks Could Kill by Fabian Nicieza (GN)
Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey
Wrapped-Up FoxTrot: A Treasury with the Final Daily Strips by Bill Amend
Space Unicorn Blues by T.J. Berry
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling
Breach (Cold War Magic #1) by W.L. Goodwater
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse by Steve Behling
Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology by Christopher Golden (Editor)
Atomic Marriage by Curtis Sittenfeld (AB)
The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow (AB)
Seed by Ania Ahlborn (AB)
Dark Corners Collection by Various (AB)

Oak Avenue (Dark Corners Collection #7) by Brandi Reeds (AB)
The Remedy (Dark Corners Collection #6) by Adam Haslett (AB)
The Tangled Woods (Dark Corners Collection #5) by Emily Raboteau (AB)
Miao Dao (Dark Corners Collection #4) by Joyce Carol Oates (AB)
There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed (Dark Corners Collection #3) by Edgar Cantero (AB)
The Sleep Tight Motel (Dark Corners Collection #2) by Lisa Unger (AB)
Hannah-Beast (Dark Corners Collection #1) by Jennifer McMahon (AB)

Wool: The Graphic Novel by Hugh Howey (GN)
Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5) by Scott Meyer (AB)
Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi by John Scalzi (AB)
God of War: The Official Novelization by J.M. Barlog (AB)
Monsters Beware! by Jorge Aguirre (GN)
Bluecrowne: A Greenglass House Story (Greenglass House #3) by Kate Milford
The Dispatcher by John Scalzi (AB)
Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (AB)
The Pro by Garth Ennis (GN)
Nameless by Grant Morrison (GN)
The Left-Handed Fate by Kate Milford
Mort(e) by Robert Rep
Tales from Vader's Castle by Cavan Scottino (GN)
Dinosaurs vs. Aliens by Grant Morrison, Barry Sonnenfeld (GN)
This Immortal by Roger Zelazny (AB)
On The Use Of Shape-Shifters In Warfare by Marko Kloos
The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling (AB)
True West by Sam Shepard (AB)
Beowulf: A New Verse Translation by Unknown, Seamus Heaney (Translator) (AB)
The Demon Next Door by Bryan Burrough (AB)
SNAFU: Future Warfare by Geoff Brown (Editor)
Brain Droppings by George Carlin (AB)
Napalm & Silly Putty by George Carlin (AB)
More Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin (AB)
SNAFU: Future Warfare by Geoff Brown (Editor)
SNAFU: Unnatural Selection by Geoff Brown (Editor)
SNAFU: Resurrection by Geoff Brown (Editor)
Lucky Thirteen by Marko Kloos
Star Trek by Alan Dean Foster (AB)
The Mental Load: A Feminist Comic by Emma (GN)
Merely This and Nothing More: Poe Goes Punk by Jeffrey Cook (Editor)
Star Wars 2017 Del Rey Sampler: Excerpts from Upcoming and Current Titles by Claudia Gray et. al
What Hides Within by Jason Parent
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries #2) by Martha Wells
Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries #3) by Martha Wells
Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries #4) by Martha Wells
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Star Trek Into Darkness by Alan Dean Foster (AB)
Incognito by Ed Brubaker (GN)
Incognito, Vol. 2: Bad Influences by Ed Brubaker (GN)
The Zodiac Paradox (Fringe #1) by Christa Faust
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Diana Wynne Jones (AB)
Star Trek the Next Generation: The U.S.S. Enterprise Ncc-1701-D Illustrated Handbook by Ben Robinson
The Giver: Graphic Novel by Lois Lowry (GN)
The Burning Man (Fringe #2) by Christa Faust
Sins of the Father (Fringe #3) by Christa Faust
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle #2) by Diana Wynne Jones
Victoria (What Hides Within #2) by Jason Parent
The Children of Men by P.D. James
Blindness by José Saramago
Presto! How I Made Over 100 Pounds Disappear and Other Magical Tales by Penn Jillette
The Burnout Generation by Anne Helen Petersen
Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic by Nick Carr
The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6) by Scott Meyer
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by K.J. Parker
Differently Morphous by Yahtzee Croshaw
The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft: Beyond Arkham by H.P. Lovecraft

58/50 Movies

Hogfather (2006)
Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Brigsby Bear (2017)
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
Better Off Dead... (1985)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Aquaman - Rage of Atlantis (2018)
¡Three Amigos! (1986)
For Your Consideration (2006)
Bumblebee (2018)
Sorry to Bother You (2018)
Blood Father (2016)
Seven Psychopaths (2012)
Sicario (2015)
Bronson (2008)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (2017)
Christopher Robin (2018)
Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Top Secret! (1984)
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)
Captain Marvel (2019)
Vox Lux (2018)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
Killer Elite (2011)
Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
Game Night (2018)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Brawl in Cell Block 99 (2017)
The Kid Who Would Be King (2019)
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
Now & Then (1995)
Lego Movie 2 (2019)
Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)
Wine Country (2019)
John Wick 3 (2019)
Jumper (2008)
Rapture-Palooza (2013)
Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
Hellboy (2019)
The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot (2018)
The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
Contagion (2011)
Green Book (2018)
Shazam! (2019)
Missing Link (2019)
Hobbs & Shaw (2019)
Idiocracy (2006)
Hotel Artemis (2018)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
2:22 (2017)
Men in Black International (2019)
Klaus (2019)

I had totally forgotten about the 21 Jump Street / MIB project until reading the wiki for the International movie. That was a weird announcement. Also the film was very green-screened and it really showed. I read somewhere that Kumail was the best part and he was, though Thor and Valkyrie were alright.

allegate
03-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Alright, this is the line for 2020. I should have been in here sooner but...things?

One rule change: TV Series count so if you're binging just set aside another section for those.

GibbonBlack
03-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Alright, this is the line for 2020. I should have been in here sooner but...things?

One rule change: TV Series count so if you're binging just set aside another section for those.

On my spreadsheet I tend to count one season of a TV show as one movie watched. Only if I watch the whole thing within a week or so though

allegate
03-25-2020, 05:22 PM
Books

JLA: Earth 2 by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely
Batman: Earth One, Volume 1 by Geoff Johns
The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych #1) by John Joseph Adams & Hugh Howey (Editors)
A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends by Lisa Erspamer
Mash Up: Stories Inspired by First Lines by Gardner Dozois\
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
A Very Scalzi Christmas by John Scalzi
Django/Zorro: The Official Sequel to Django Unchained by Quentin Tarantino, Matt Wagner
John Dies at the End by David Wong
Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher
Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchshark Collection by Megan Dong
The Messengers by Lindsay Joelle

The Messengers is a free Original on Audible this month. If you haven't picked your two free ones yet, you should grab this one.
Movies

will have to update after I look at Plex

Television

Hunters
McMillion$

allegate
08-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Books

JLA: Earth 2 by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely
Batman: Earth One, Volume 1 by Geoff Johns
The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych #1) by John Joseph Adams & Hugh Howey (Editors)
A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends by Lisa Erspamer
Mash Up: Stories Inspired by First Lines by Gardner Dozois\
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
A Very Scalzi Christmas by John Scalzi
Django/Zorro: The Official Sequel to Django Unchained by Quentin Tarantino, Matt Wagner
John Dies at the End by David Wong
Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours by Jim Butcher
Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchshark Collection by Megan Dong
The Messengers by Lindsay Joelle
Batgirl: Stephanie Brown, Volume 1 by Bryan Q. Miller
Redshirts by John Scalzi
The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych #2) by John Joseph Adams & Hugh Howey (Editors)
The Bastard by Patrick deWitt
The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection by Zach Weinersmith
Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection by Zach Weinersmith
The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych #3) by John Joseph Adams & Hugh Howey (Editors)
Penny Arcade Volume 1: Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade #1) by Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik
Penny Arcade Volume 2: Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade #2) by Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik
xkcd: volume 0 by Randall Munroe
Two Plays for Voices by Neil Gaiman
Airboy: Deluxe Edition by James Robinson
Superman/Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Power Couple by Charles Soule
The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire (The Old Guard #1) by Greg Rucka
Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire by Greg Rucka
Heads Will Roll by Kate McKinnon, Emily Lynne
The Old Guard, Book Two: Force Multiplied (The Old Guard #2) by Greg Rucka
Vanishing Vancouver by Pat Jollota
Downtown Vancouver by Pat Jollota
Superman: Lois and Clark by Dan Jurgens
Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold
The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas by Harry Bates
House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle #3) by Diana Wynne Jones

Man I love the Howl's books. The second one plays with expectations in a huge way and I kept expecting that in this one but I was both surprised and a little disappointed to see it wasn't done in a similar fashion. The way it was subverted in this one though was pretty hilarious. I would love to see a Howl's television series with the books as backdrop. The stories read a little like what a 13-episode series is like right now so that would be great.

Graphic novels from the big two continue to make me upset at comics. So frequently it's "oh well if you didn't read z y and z you miss why ___ is important" and it's always like you're reading a book backwards because then you have to find the book that came previously.

haven't been tracking because we have been watching so few movies. ugh.

Television

Hunters
McMillion$
The Boys

Jinsai
08-11-2020, 01:22 PM
I haven't been reading as much as I used to. I used to make a habit of reading at least one book a week.

I think I've read about 10 books this year, probably. Hypothetically, I would have thought that during a pandemic and general societal shutdown, I'd be reading more. I guess I'm not, and I'm not being productive much at all. I don't record any music I make. I don't bother.

I also don't see any hype behind new books landing on my radar, and I don't think it's because I'm unplugging from noticing it.

allegate
08-11-2020, 01:39 PM
Oh no doubt, for a long time there I couldn't focus on the words in a book at all hence the graphic novels. a lot less brain power is necessary when the pictures are already there for you: you don't need to have the scene described to you and then subsequently built in your head.