PDA

View Full Version : Coheed & Cambria

Goldfoot
12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
www.coheedandcambria.com (http://www.coheedandcambria.com/)

They are in the studio recording their 6th studio album. It takes place within the world of The Armory Wars still, but is another prequel, taking place before Year Of The Black Rainbow. They have their old drummer, Josh Eppard, and I'd expect to hear something soon about when this one will be released and the subsequent tour.

This is a band that I completely wrote off before finishing an entire song on In Keeping Secrets. When it came out, people at another forum I was going to were raving about how great this band were, so I downloaded the album and planned to listen to it on my next trip home. After I stuck it in my CD player, it sounded cool enough but as soon as Claudio started singing, I ejected the CD and never looked back. Something like 2 years later, my roommate got their new CD, Good Apollo IV: FTTEOM, and I was subjected to the album on a road trip to Cleveland. Surprisingly I liked it and have been a fan ever since. After growing used to his voice, I can now listen to, and enjoy, all of their albums. I think FTTEOM is still my favorite, but that's probably because it was the first one I really listened to. I think the others are really solid and I really like at least a few songs off each album, but FTTEOM is still the one I listen to the most.

think i'm a fire engine
12-14-2011, 11:30 AM
His voice isn't any more annoying than other bands with ridiculously high male voices. I love their proggier side, but feel like their pop punk side could be a little more ballsy and rocked out. FTTEOM is probably their best album imo, but I quite enjoyed some of the cooler drumming on Year of the Black Rainbow. Their acoustic sets are pretty awesome too.

demgoth
12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
I love them! I got really into them for the first time right before their fourth album (No World For Tomorrow) came out in 2007. I've seen them live about 10 times which is second only to NIN. Atticus Ross produced their last album Year of the Black Rainbow which is great although pretty different as are most of their albums. Of course I think their first 3 albums are the best, Good Apollo Volume 1 on the very top, but love all of them really. I can't wait for their new album and I love they teased everyone about Josh coming back on drums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS8IIlW2PD0&list=UUcZd1CCYQVxRDdEXoWS6x0g& feature=plcp

They put on a great live show, some of my favorite shows I've been to were their Neverender series in October 2008 at Terminal 5 where they played all 4 of their albums (at the time) consecutively, one per night plus extras. As well as the free "Neverender: Second Stage Turbine Blade" show (where they played an acoustic set, the whole first album in it's entirety, and an encore) which was at the Williamsburg Waterfront in Brooklyn this past June.

richardp
10-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Anyone else really enjoying The Afterman: Ascension? The last couple of Coheed albums have been so/so but this new album really brings me back to IKSOSE:3 for some reason. I dig it.

scorpiusdiamond
10-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Yep, love it. Going to see them in London. Afterman & Vic The Butcher are my favourites.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Going to give it a listen tonight. Year Of The Black Rainbow I love and gets the most play out of all their albums as of recently. They have definitely stepped up their game these past years. "In The Flame Of Terror" is a fantastic song.

Gray Grimez
10-13-2012, 07:46 AM
I seriously hope you guys are right, last few coheed albums have been unbearable to me. They just took on this layer of cheese after IKSSE3 that i've never really gotten into. And what i've heard oft he new album doesn't sound likes its lost it. I'll give it a lsiten at some point.

scorpiusdiamond
10-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I seriously hope you guys are right, last few coheed albums have been unbearable to me. They just took on this layer of cheese after IKSSE3 that i've never really gotten into. And what i've heard oft he new album doesn't sound likes its lost it. I'll give it a lsiten at some point.

Ahah, well, if you want to avoid cheese, avoid 'Goodnight, Fair Lady' for certain.

richardp
10-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Ahah, well, if you want to avoid cheese, avoid 'Goodnight, Fair Lady' for certain.

Yeah, it's got cheese, but honestly, Coheed has ALWAYS kind of had cheese, soooo....

Gray Grimez
10-13-2012, 07:06 PM
They have but the cheese didn't really become overly pungent until the fourth album. the third album was starting to get a bit whiffy but still bearable and had some great moments. But i'm mostly about the first two albums.

RJK
10-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I really enjoy In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth : 3 but haven't really listened to anything else. I did pick up the new album and I enjoy Domino, Afterman, and Evagria.

I recently spent a weekend going to see them live and they do put on a hell of a show, even if their audience is brotastic.

Space Suicide
10-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I really loved Year Of The Black Rainbow and No World for Tomorrow so I'll definitely have to check this out.

scorpiusdiamond
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
New track from 'Descension' (http://forums.cobaltandcalcium.com/showthread.php?48120-New-Coheed-Track-quot-The-Hard-Sell-quot)

richardp
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
New track from 'Descension' (http://forums.cobaltandcalcium.com/showthread.php?48120-New-Coheed-Track-quot-The-Hard-Sell-quot)

Man that chorus is awesome

Maul
12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Total Coheed and Cambria beginner. Give some starting tips both comics and albums wise.

RJK
01-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Descension leaked.

richardp
01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Nowhere near as good as Ascension. Actually it's quite a let down. I'll give it a few more spins and see if it starts sinking in, though.

scorpiusdiamond
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Nowhere near as good as Ascension. Actually it's quite a let down. I'll give it a few more spins and see if it starts sinking in, though.

I thought that about Ascension too though, I think they're albums that need time to sink in.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I thought that about Ascension too though, I think they're albums that need time to sink in.

DEFINITELY. I just got to Ascension yesterday and I was blown away by how much they progressed this time around. It's a concept so you really have to sit down and listen to the whole thing from start to finish to appreciate it more for me at least; even though I enjoy "The Hard Sell" a lot more than anything that was on Ascension.

scorpiusdiamond
01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Holy crap Number City. Cheesiness off the scale, but it's awesome.

RJK
07-05-2015, 05:59 PM
So apparently there is a new song called "You've got Spirit, Kid." from their new album due this fall.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-22-2022, 03:55 PM
Holy bump.

Just finished Vaxis II and am quite blown away. I didn't enjoy Vaxis I all that much when I listened to it a few times; it was just ok. But after listening to part 2, it breathes new life into the first album and now I actually quite like it. Vaxis II capitalizes on keeping the Coheed sound, but also not sounding samey. Each song holds its own little identity and you never get bored.

Then I go and listen to Key Entity Extraction V and forget how fucking epic it is. Coheed is a band that excels in heavy progressive, but also tackles the more post-hardcore /pop sound so damn well. This band isn't spoken about enough as of lately, and they deserve all the praise.

bobbie solo
06-24-2022, 01:50 AM
I thought this song was EXCELLENT when they dropped it a few months ago. Took me back to their first record & their emo days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yvF7Lngr8

The drummer's faces in that performance video are annoying the hell out of me though. STOP!

What other tracks off the new record do you recommend?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-24-2022, 07:16 AM
^^^ Haa, I always thought that about the drummer! The drums are also HUGE on this album and headphones does it the most justice.

Hard to pick favorites, but these tracks are hitting me the most as of right now:

Comatose is fun as hell
Shoulders
Love Murder One
The Liars Club
Bad Man
Ladders of Supremacy (Epic)
Rise Nainasha

Bear78
07-07-2022, 09:01 AM
New album is fantastic! I got both my copies in finally.

https://i.imgur.com/QX9yiKT.jpg