PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Black and Infinite Fall Tour - 2018 Live Tour Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Jinsai
05-20-2018, 03:07 AM
Based on the 9999999 comments on fb about this, it sounds like this is turning into a total shitshow. Tons of people commenting the NIN thread ranting and raving at how horrible this is, waiting in line for 10 hours, driving 400 miles, only to not end up getting tickets etc....Dont think this is going to work at all

Y'know, it was definitely an ordeal, and there was a lot of commiserating griping amongst strangers... and the lack of water was an issue... also, I think most people didn't quite realize what they were signing up for (I sure as fuck didn't).

That said, it was a unique experience. It was a glimpse of a bygone era from when we didn't have everything at our fingertips, and fuck it, I made it. Sure, at the time, I was thinking to myself "Jesus Christ, I shoulda just bought a scalped ticket." But now, these things are gold, and I feel like I earned them.

As a scalper deterrent, it isn't set up quite right unfortunately... the crew in front of me was already plotting on how to have the tickets they were buying "pay for themselves and then some." I kept my opinion to myself on that. There were a lot of good ideas going on there, but sure, it coulda been pulled off a bit more successfully... I guess it's to be expected that you'll have some hiccups when you're trying to resurrect inconvenience for nostalgia that only a portion of the crowd appreciates.

Really though, this coulda worked with a bit more immediate payoff included, and at least twice the number of ticket vendors. There were some kiosks with headphones, food trucks, the photo op was cute... but really, let's look at efficiency. I sat there for nine hours, and even then, by that point only two of the four dates had sold out (and the Friday gig sold out RIGHT BEFORE I got to the vendor). The venue is 3700 capacity. You should be prepared to sell more than 14800 tickets within 9 hours.

Maybe even do something like the way In N Out Burger handles long lines... have some guy walk up to the people parked in line and take their order, swipe their card, and then hand them a ticket for them to pick up their order. We still would have been there for a LONG time, we'd have gotten the experience. Ironically, I think a lot of the amenities and flair was overlooked because people were so focused on just maintaining their position in line. It felt like a cross between a dash of hardcore nostalgia and the worst day at the DMV ever.

witte
05-20-2018, 04:20 AM
I just went to the Aragon Ballroom Chicago website and clicked for tickets. See what happened
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/8e17255594ca74bd8cd91753d5e46289.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/4da173b99ddf446bdffd077b533f857f.jpg
You can buy? $219? What’s this?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Jinsai
05-20-2018, 04:41 AM
probably second-hand scalper routing

TheBang
05-20-2018, 05:59 AM
I just went to the Aragon Ballroom Chicago website and clicked for tickets. See what happened
aragonballroom.com (and aragonballroom.org) is not an official site, so you're looking at a third-party marketplace.

witte
05-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Thnx: good info for others in this case.

lowlight10
05-20-2018, 08:29 AM
In Chicago, a guy walked up to me and offered me $100 to join me in line. I said no, I can't do that to all the fans in line behind me. A few minutes later, he was in line about 10 people behind me.

C.R.E.A.M.

Sarah K
05-20-2018, 08:31 AM
The people earlier in the day at Radio City had a myriad of great seat options, and as such I think alot of them took their time (which is understandable considering how long they waited overnight). But that time started snowballing down the line, and grinded forward line movement to a halt. Really a garbage way to do an on-sale, and all to just get people talking about NIN on social media imo.

Nah, there were tons of computer problems at first. When the line split right before you entered the building, I just so happened to choose the right way, and I was the 5th person to the window, despite being the 40th in line. But their computer crashed, and I had to get back in line in another window. Then he was having computer troubles when he was trying to correct an error. This lady opened the door that is in the back of the booth, and all of my cash that was sitting on the counter flew up in the air. It looked like that game where you get in the little glass box and see how many dollars you can catch. I took cash because I thought that it would be faster as it wouldn't get flagged by a card for being a huge purchase. I was wrong! But anyway, yeah - lots of computer fuckery at the front of the line.

GulDukat
05-20-2018, 09:21 AM
C'mon guys. Back in the day people would camp out for tickets to a show.

ETA--like I said in the Boston thread, the staff at the Wang were super professional and the fans were really friendly.

ComaMJ33
05-20-2018, 09:21 AM
I had a good time, met some cool people around me. It helped with the 6 hours I waited. I was number 190 in line and chose to get get seats for both shows, second row so it was worth it. By the time I got the the box office window I felt like I had already been a nin show in the pit so i talked myself out of that. Otherwise I thought the Comerica Theater in Phoenix was very well organized. I would definitely like it this way again, especially if it takes place at a live nation or ticketmaster venue. I never used to have trouble getting the best seats in the past, but the past few years since their system changed it sucks and many times I don't get tix at all. Also, add that those websites hold tix back even if you're online at the sale time. Plus this way resellers had to stick it out in line with everyone else, so the resellers couldn't order tix for a bunch of shows from Kansas to places across the country just to sell. At least this way I knew that all seats would be available first come first serve. I feel bad for some of the fans that got screwed in NYC, LA, Chi because those are tougher markets and the Palladium messed up with that mobile line. Just my 2 cents.

I am most disappointed in a few of the fans within the first few hundred in line taking cash for people to cut or buying extra tickets than they need, so that they can sell them to make their money back. Oh well though.

Blackbookpress1984
05-20-2018, 09:24 AM
I had a great time in line with my wife, and old friends, and made some new ones. My shoulders still hurt from carrying the chairs and blankets we brought with us. BUT, had some great conversations, met some new people, *and some scalpers) who literally could not have sat closer to me in line*thanks for that by the way if I ever see any of you again... lol But it waas largely a success, i appreciate the fact that they really did try and make it a full even, food, coffee, listening station, merch, ect...

2My one problem with the Chicago line ( ok 2) was this:

1.) they said no line before 8 am. Granted I was there way fucking before 8 am. But hey said they would not allow it, and turns out they were allowing ait and directing it and everything. So when people showed up at 8 am as instructed, they all had a look of semi dissapointment due to how many people were there. (I think when box office started, the livenation count was close to 5k people at 1 mile long. )

2.) WHEN THEY LET YOU IN, THEY SAID "YOU HAVE TO GO TO EACH STATION IN ORDER, YOU CAN NOT GOT BACK TO GET SOMETHING ONCE PASSED" So as we went for coffee at the first stand, 100 people passed us to get tickets. We were literally top 10 in line, thanks largely to friends of mine for camping the night before, so i coudl get there at 5 am, and as we went for coffee went stright to tickets and filled all the counter lines. then, they were like "you have to wait to go in" slightly upsetting while were standing there watching all the first tickets being sold. but in the end. we succeeded.

End semi rant.

ekrekel
05-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Glad you got tickets, gotta keep your eye on the prize.

Star
05-20-2018, 11:09 AM
C'mon guys. Back in the day people would camp out for tickets to a show.

ETA--like I said in the Boston thread, the staff at the Wang were super professional and the fans were really friendly. Yes, 30 years ago. I did it, most people did. But, what is wrong with NIN.com tickets with our names on them at will call and going directly into the venue? For U2 last year we had to show the credit card we bought them with when going through the turnstiles. And any scalper and his employees can buy these tickets in person and resell them. It was a ridiculous idea and as someone said above it was just about creating buzz. The people who can buy them online now will not get great seats so why bother traveling for that if NIN is coming to your city? If they come to my city next time I will go but I will no longer travel to see them anywhere if I have to wait to buy tickets after in person sales.

eversonpoe
05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Justin Timberlake looks really happy about his NIN tickets.

i'm bringing sexy back ;)

kel
05-20-2018, 11:26 AM
to everyone lamenting a show in seattle or portland or vancouver or boise -- solidarity, dudes.

chelsealouanne
05-20-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm mainly just trying to remain hopeful for Canadian dates getting announced for November since there is a huge gap between Chicago and new Orleans.

Been a longtime ETS lurker so I'm just jumping on here to say I've been hoping for the same. It doesn't sound like wishful thinking too much!

Miss.Selfdestruct
05-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Y'know, it was definitely an ordeal, and there was a lot of commiserating griping amongst strangers... and the lack of water was an issue... also, I think most people didn't quite realize what they were signing up for (I sure as fuck didn't).

That said, it was a unique experience. It was a glimpse of a bygone era from when we didn't have everything at our fingertips, and fuck it, I made it. Sure, at the time, I was thinking to myself "Jesus Christ, I shoulda just bought a scalped ticket." But now, these things are gold, and I feel like I earned them.

As a scalper deterrent, it isn't set up quite right unfortunately... the crew in front of me was already plotting on how to have the tickets they were buying "pay for themselves and then some." I kept my opinion to myself on that. There were a lot of good ideas going on there, but sure, it coulda been pulled off a bit more successfully... I guess it's to be expected that you'll have some hiccups when you're trying to resurrect inconvenience for nostalgia that only a portion of the crowd appreciates.

Really though, this coulda worked with a bit more immediate payoff included, and at least twice the number of ticket vendors. There were some kiosks with headphones, food trucks, the photo op was cute... but really, let's look at efficiency. I sat there for nine hours, and even then, by that point only two of the four dates had sold out (and the Friday gig sold out RIGHT BEFORE I got to the vendor). The venue is 3700 capacity. You should be prepared to sell more than 14800 tickets within 9 hours.

Maybe even do something like the way In N Out Burger handles long lines... have some guy walk up to the people parked in line and take their order, swipe their card, and then hand them a ticket for them to pick up their order. We still would have been there for a LONG time, we'd have gotten the experience. Ironically, I think a lot of the amenities and flair was overlooked because people were so focused on just maintaining their position in line. It felt like a cross between a dash of hardcore nostalgia and the worst day at the DMV ever.
It's one thing for people that have never waited prolonged hours in line for something to be unprepared. Another to not have had the flexibility to get supplies. As well organized as the Palladium event was, except for the bs mobile line fiasco..., the barricades should've been open at the ends to at least let people out from time to time.

Not sure if it's possible for them to take down and refund all the mobile tickets up or sale on StubHub, was very disappointing to see that yesterday knowing people were still in line waiting.

Pbgut
05-20-2018, 12:16 PM
What exactly was fun for you? Taking over 4 hours from the 10am start to get tickets is just plain unacceptable. That's what I went through, and there were people who had it far, far worse behind me.

Hopefully this experiment dies after this weekend, but if Trent does do it again, they need to have an agreement with the promoter for many, many more people working the box office, and they need to try and move the early people along in their purchases quicker for the non-GA shows. The people earlier in the day at Radio City had a myriad of great seat options, and as such I think alot of them took their time (which is understandable considering how long they waited overnight). But that time started snowballing down the line, and grinded forward line movement to a halt. Really a garbage way to do an on-sale, and all to just get people talking about NIN on social media imo.

I met some nice people in line; I enjoyed the anticipation of it; and I have had such shitty luck with Ticketmaster online since they've revamped their system that I was happy to have an alternative tested out, even if the motivation wasn't 100% (or even 50%) pure. It made me feel kind of young to endure that kind of nonsense for a couple of concert tickets. And I do feel, even though I am young enough to have grown up with the internet and AOL, that there are significant downsides to living life entirely through the internet rather than as an additional tool for real life, which is what it appeared to be when it was first available to consumers. It was nice to connect with other NIN fans, which I never really did as a kid, and get through an experience like this in the name of fandom.

I do agree that there should have been more ticket windows, or possibly a second location, in NY and other cities with a huge population. I'd have been happier if I had been out of there after only two hours but there was something oddly kind of adventurous and fun about enduring it with other fans. I'll add that I am painfully shy in real life and it's always been a huge struggle for me to connect with people; this made it really easy. It's totally reasonable to think it was the dumbest idea ever, too, but to me Ticketmaster.com and the online experience is really poorly done.

GulDukat
05-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Yes, 30 years ago. I did it, most people did. But, what is wrong with NIN.com tickets with our names on them at will call and going directly into the venue? For U2 last year we had to show the credit card we bought them with when going through the turnstiles. And any scalper and his employees can buy these tickets in person and resell them. It was a ridiculous idea and as someone said above it was just about creating buzz. The people who can buy them online now will not get great seats so why bother traveling for that if NIN is coming to your city? If they come to my city next time I will go but I will no longer travel to see them anywhere if I have to wait to buy tickets after in person sales.Fair enough. This was an experiment, not something NIN or the venues are used to. Let's see what happens next time.

R-Dot-Yung
05-20-2018, 01:28 PM
So I'm going to bitch about my experience because it's what Trent wants.

I got to the Radio City line at midnight and was 82 in line according to some randos system for giving everyone a number. I have a slight suspicion that I actually met Sarah K underneath the awning of the NBC building for a hot second with potentially other ETS'ers at around 4am. But those were the only NIN fans I met the entire night.

And that's my issue with this entire experience. I was on line for 10 hours surrounded by scalpers and trash people. I was excited to go hang out with some NIN fans, but all I got was an incredibly organized scalping operation. I'm pretty sure the scalpers created the number system because it legitimized their spots in line, allowing them to go home in groups and come back in groups at will. It felt like they bussed in 100 people at 8am with "numbers" to bum rush the front of the line.

So it sounds like my experience was the minority, and other people enjoyed this. But the scalpers ruined it for me. I got lucky when the doors opened and ended up on a shorter box office line, so I got the tickets I wanted and my camp out was worth it. But it sucked to watch a scalper walk out bragging about getting front row both nights.

I much preferred the system back in 2009 with NIN logins and tickets being tied to your ID. I think this experience put my fandom to the test and I don't think I'll do it again. I'll settle for whatever seats I can get next time.

GulDukat
05-20-2018, 02:03 PM
As for the "no lines before 8:00," how could that ever be enforced?

zero
05-20-2018, 02:20 PM

If promoters/venues told people to arrive early it might create legal liability. They would be responsible for providing security, and any unfortunate events might be blamed on them. What people do on their own about gathering in a public place is not their responsibility. I think this is why they can't really tell people to come early for a pre-line thing. At least that's my theory.

Any enforcement prior to 8:00 would likely be at the discretion of local law enforcement, and follow applicable laws and city ordinances.

otnavuskire
05-20-2018, 02:22 PM

And if it somehow was enforced, everyone would just be waiting around the corner with a mad dash to be first in line right at 8. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

bgalbraith
05-20-2018, 02:24 PM

It can’t, or at least will vary by venue. Talked to the Live Nation guy about this in Boston. Outside the venue is public property, so unless Boston PD comes by and tells you to move, you don’t have to.

GulDukat
05-20-2018, 03:02 PM
One way around this could be for the venue to issue wristbands with a number (which you could pick up during the week prior to the show), and then have a raffle, calling a number at say, 9:00 am with tickets going on sale at 10:00 am. Your place in line would be totally random, so there would be no need to arrive super early. Maybe they could issue just enough wristbands to ensure you will get a ticket, assuming everyone would buy the maximum four, and the sell any leftovers online.

Dryalex12
05-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Guess its my turn to bitch about why I hate this, i'm apologizing in advance if i fuck up and accidentally offend anyone

Alright, first of all, im a very poor person. I don't have a job, I only get paid from Disability due to having both Aspergers and severe depression. But the thing is, because of all the bills and shit i have to buy keep myself from starving and living in a van down by the river, I only get to keep $50....a month.....thats it, with a 22$ check that comes every month so it's really $77. $77 a month isn't really gonna buy you shit really.

Now mind you, I have no problems supporting Trent at all https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/6jaso8/i_pick_things_upi_am_a_collector/, I bought all of this with those $77, so it's not that I don't want to, but the evens and circumstances surrounding pricing and this stupid fucking "physical world" thing is a problem for me and im sure a lot of other people for a following number of reasons.

Gas money. I'm not fucking driving all the way from Portland to Vegas, getting a ticket, driving all the way back...wait till the date, drive all the fucking way back when I could of only done it once. I get it, it's probably less likely to get ripped off, but, as i've already read, hasn't stopped from having scalpers.

I dont drive. That's my mom who does that and she works. I dont think her job will let her take the day off to let me go see my favorite band, just a hunch

Not everyone is social, and it's not because they are "on their fucking phone" all the time. I get it, he wants people to meet people and interact, I get it, he has good intentions with it. Problem is with me and a lot of people is that im Asocial (what people think Anti-Social means but it's actually not) and a recluse. There is a difference between "being lazy and not wanting to go out because your too fucking lazy" and "I don't want to go outside because I hate how people treated me, I hate most people and it physically makes me uncomfortable" which is what I have. Most of the social interaction is with stuff like you guys. Trust me, I would love to meet all you guys, honestly, I would (I'm so much easier to talk to IRL than online too)

I'm still gonna buy Bad Witch, but unless some miracle happens and a closer date comes by, it's just not gonna happen, and it pisses me off because I WANT TO GO. I WANT TO GO SO FUCKING BADLY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

So yeah, rant over. Sorry.

Sarah K
05-20-2018, 03:53 PM
I have a slight suspicion that I actually met Sarah K underneath the awning of the NBC building for a hot second with potentially other ETS'ers at around 4am. But those were the only NIN fans I met the entire night.

Ayyye, when we came across the street to get out of the rain for a bit? I was/am short and fat with glasses. I was wearing black pants and silver sparkly Puma shoes and like 9 sweatshirts at that point. I was with three dudes who, as far as I know, are not ETSers, and were just randoms I connected with in line.

versusreality
05-20-2018, 04:10 PM
I did happen to see groups and groups of scalpers congregating together at around 5 pm outside Radio City yesterday. a legit meeting, swapping tickets, discussing prices etc.

FULLMETAL
05-20-2018, 05:02 PM
FOMO kicked in for me late Friday afternoon, so I called some friends to see about accommodations & drove up 7 hours to scope the situation because I wasn't sure about the "No Lineups Before 8am" verbiage. I arrived at 2am and was the 11th person in the queue (with only 1 or 2 Ticket Brokers in front of me).

Thankfully, the weather was pleasant & I could catch some Zzz's without being worried.

It seemed like the Atlanta folks were running terribly behind schedule. They had Whole Foods muffins, Kroger donuts, and some assorted beverages on a table at 8:30a, while the tables for Criminal Records, the listening station, and Merch were still being setup. Around 9a, someone finally posted the pricing structure with a layout of the venue (until that point, they just had a range of prices online). The blacked out areas are being held for the promoter or for technical/production use by the band, the venue didn't have 100% confirmation.

https://i.imgur.com/52nxsBel.jpg

I think they had everything put together at 9a, but didn't start to move the queue into the arcade until 9:50a.

Looking at the setups for other cities, Atlanta seemed thrown together at the last minute (e.g., they didn't have any signs noting the listening station was playing new tracks, no area for a photo opportunity). If I were a local and didn't want to travel to another city to catch a performance, this experience was pretty cool and definitely kicks Ticketmaster's "Verified Fan" system in the balls. It was also nice to be able to select which specific seat I wanted instead of being given the "best available."

Would I travel to do this again? Probably not (especially coming out of Florida).

It will be interesting to see how many tickets (if any) are available for the eventual online sale. Regardless, I'm happy to be able to catch 5 shows for 2018.

Shit Mirror
05-20-2018, 05:31 PM
and then have a raffle, [...] Your place in line would be totally random, Fuck. That.

caca
05-20-2018, 05:41 PM
I picked up a frame for my event litho today. I’ll probably take it to work and hang it up in my office.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/6b940bd7b79a3eb89070d86dca76615b.jpg

anduril
05-20-2018, 05:49 PM
The impression I get is that the venue mattered in regards to peoples happiness with their experience. Ascend Ampitheatre in Nashville had their shit together so we had a good experience. It went smoothly.

ManBurning
05-20-2018, 06:10 PM
One way around this could be for the venue to issue wristbands with a number (which you could pick up during the week prior to the show), and then have a raffle, calling a number at say, 9:00 am with tickets going on sale at 10:00 am. Your place in line would be totally random, so there would be no need to arrive super early. Maybe they could issue just enough wristbands to ensure you will get a ticket, assuming everyone would buy the maximum four, and the sell any leftovers online.

They actually did this back in the day, at least back in 2000 at a ticket outlet in the city I used to live in. KoRn were coming to town, and I guess it was buy your tickets in person or something? Because me and some people went down to an actual ticketing outlet in a mall and we were given wrist bands with a number on it and then right before the tickets went on sale, they held a raffle and pulled a number, which would correspond with whoever had that wristband. I was lucky, because my number was pulled first or second, something like that. So I got to go to the beginning of the line.

It works if you're lucky lol. It's a decent method to prevent a bunch of people loitering overnight. It's a game of chance though. I'd rather get a good nights sleep and play a game of chance than stand in a line for 10 hrs overnight. But that's just me. I'm too old to be standing in a line from 2 or 3am onwards. I like my sleep. 13-15 yrs ago I would have been all about that nonsense. Now I like setting my alarm 5 mins before tickets go on sale, rolling out of bed, buying said tickets online and going back to bed lol.

Nellyrific
05-20-2018, 06:48 PM
I picked up a frame for my event litho today. I’ll probably take it to work and hang it up in my office.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/6b940bd7b79a3eb89070d86dca76615b.jpg

Looks great! How did you find one the exact size? Is the poster standard??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caca
05-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Looks great! How did you find one the exact size? Is the poster standard??

Thanks! The poster is about 9 X 24 1/4, which doesn’t appear to be a standard size. The frame I picked up was like 10 X 25 3/4 (or something like that), but I bought some black poster board, cut it to size, and floated the poster on top of it.

Michael’s had a 50% coupon, so the frame and poster board was only like $18.

Ribbitman
05-20-2018, 07:05 PM
FOMO kicked in for me late Friday afternoon, so I called some friends to see about accommodations & drove up 7 hours to scope the situation because I wasn't sure about the "No Lineups Before 8am" verbiage. I arrived at 2am and was the 11th person in the queue (with only 1 or 2 Ticket Brokers in front of me).

Thankfully, the weather was pleasant & I could catch some Zzz's without being worried.

It seemed like the Atlanta folks were running terribly behind schedule. They had Whole Foods muffins, Kroger donuts, and some assorted beverages on a table at 8:30a, while the tables for Criminal Records, the listening station, and Merch were still being setup. Around 9a, someone finally posted the pricing structure with a layout of the venue (until that point, they just had a range of prices online). The blacked out areas are being held for the promoter or for technical/production use by the band, the venue didn't have 100% confirmation.

https://i.imgur.com/52nxsBel.jpg

I think they had everything put together at 9a, but didn't start to move the queue into the arcade until 9:50a.

Looking at the setups for other cities, Atlanta seemed thrown together at the last minute (e.g., they didn't have any signs noting the listening station was playing new tracks, no area for a photo opportunity). If I were a local and didn't want to travel to another city to catch a performance, this experience was pretty cool and definitely kicks Ticketmaster's "Verified Fan" system in the balls. It was also nice to be able to select which specific seat I wanted instead of being given the "best available."

Would I travel to do this again? Probably not (especially coming out of Florida).

It will be interesting to see how many tickets (if any) are available for the eventual online sale. Regardless, I'm happy to be able to catch 5 shows for 2018.

What were you dressed in?

otnavuskire
05-20-2018, 07:08 PM
Thanks! The poster is about 9 X 24 1/4, which doesn’t appear to be a standard size. The frame I picked up was like 10 X 25 3/4 (or something like that), but I bought some black construction paper, cut it to size, and floated the poster on top of it.

Michael’s had a 50% coupon, so the frame and construction paper was only like $18.

I hope you specifically bought acid-free construction paper.

frankie teardrop
05-20-2018, 07:31 PM

I got to the Radio City line at midnight and was 82 in line according to some randos system for giving everyone a number. I have a slight suspicion that I actually met Sarah K underneath the awning of the NBC building for a hot second with potentially other ETS'ers at around 4am. But those were the only NIN fans I met the entire night.

And that's my issue with this entire experience. I was on line for 10 hours surrounded by scalpers and trash people. I was excited to go hang out with some NIN fans, but all I got was an incredibly organized scalping operation. I'm pretty sure the scalpers created the number system because it legitimized their spots in line, allowing them to go home in groups and come back in groups at will. It felt like they bussed in 100 people at 8am with "numbers" to bum rush the front of the line.

So it sounds like my experience was the minority, and other people enjoyed this. But the scalpers ruined it for me. I got lucky when the doors opened and ended up on a shorter box office line, so I got the tickets I wanted and my camp out was worth it. But it sucked to watch a scalper walk out bragging about getting front row both nights.

I much preferred the system back in 2009 with NIN logins and tickets being tied to your ID. I think this experience put my fandom to the test and I don't think I'll do it again. I'll settle for whatever seats I can get next time.

yeah, the front of the line was pretty much scalpers. went early with a few old school ETSers and a few regular NIN fans, but only saw a handful of actual fans up front. pretty sure i saw sarah too, but wasn't entirely sure.

the number system was dubious. for sure most of the people ahead went home and showed back up in the morning. the first page of the list conveniently disappeared as well. it was gross. i take SOME small pleasure, however, in inching my way past at LEAST ten of them when they made the official line, and got lucky at the box office with a faster lane than some of the others.

also a small victory to beat the girl with her dog who was #100 on that crap list, had a "panic attack" and somehow was fifth in line all around.

i do wish i met more actual fans. i'm sure people who showed up later (or "on time") probably had a better experience. all in all, while showing up insanely early the night broke the rules and felt "wrong" - i had an inkling scalpers would be out in full force.

that all said, it was pretty fun. but was more about the adrenaline...

caca
05-20-2018, 07:37 PM
I hope you specifically bought acid-free construction paper.

Good point! I’ll double check. If not, I’ll swap that out for acid free.

nihilmatters
05-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Denver. Stood in line ALL DAY. Got row 25 for both nights. Met cool people and it still felt like half a day at work. #NoRegrets

spinz
05-20-2018, 07:47 PM
I much preferred the system back in 2009 with NIN logins and tickets being tied to your ID.

ab-so-lutely. I certainly dont know the details on whether the powers that be thought that was successful... but i got great tickets every time from that system, and i didnt see those tickets getting scalped. The physical experiment did not discourage scalpers... it cranked up the value. For shows that sold out, now the tickets carry the value that only people able to spend 5-8 hours in that line got any.

Discobunny
05-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Got to the Hollywood Palladium around 6:20am and counted ~150 people. Once it hit 7am lots more people lined up. Apparently the first person in line got there since 11am yesterday,
They started letting people into the official line within the venue lot at 8am, then ticket sales started promptly at 10am. Shout out to venue staff being really friendly and having made this a very well organized event for all there.

I too made new music friends in line and might meetup at one of the shows, thanks TR! One of them flew down from Portland. (if you see this, safe flight back home, lady!)

Wow, I guess I was a little closer than I thought. I got there at 5:45am and thought there were probably about 180 people in front of me. We were probably pretty close to each other in line. When we all had to go through the metal detectors I got stuck behind someone who kept setting it off so I lost probably 10-15 places in line.

But... I was one of the people who ended up with Mobile tickets. The sales girls were like, there is literally no one in this line and you can come back to the box office at any time to get your tickets. I didn't take them up on it right away, but my friend did and he was able to get his tickets in minutes. It was super quick. They wouldn't let him back in line with me so after waiting around for another 20 mins I was like fuck it and decided to get mobile tickets. Since the Palladium is all GA, I figured it wasn't screwing anyone over based on my original place in line.

I'm sorry to hear that they didn't manage that process better, grabbing people from way further back in the line.

Operationally I got what they were doing, but definitely see how it caused a clusterfuck as the day went on.

I was all settled up and out the door by 11am... I'm planning on going back to the Palladium between now and Dec to get physical tickets printed. Love the envelope and ticket holders.

Everyone I was in line with was a hardcore NIN fan, but I'm sure there were some scalpers in the mix too. The guy behind me wasn't talking at all. I chatted with some really cool people and of course saw a lot of the usual suspects from shows.

Hopefully the NIN community will do all that it can to help get tickets into the hands of fans that want them. I know if I ever have extra tickets I come here first and try to trade dates. It's usually worked out.

An interesting experiement to be sure. I had vague memories of waiting in front of tower records in LA in 1997, ending up with last row Universal Ampitheater tickets to Jane's Addiction.

GulDukat
05-20-2018, 08:33 PM
They actually did this back in the day, at least back in 2000 at a ticket outlet in the city I used to live in. KoRn were coming to town, and I guess it was buy your tickets in person or something? Because me and some people went down to an actual ticketing outlet in a mall and we were given wrist bands with a number on it and then right before the tickets went on sale, they held a raffle and pulled a number, which would correspond with whoever had that wristband. I was lucky, because my number was pulled first or second, something like that. So I got to go to the beginning of the line.

It works if you're lucky lol. It's a decent method to prevent a bunch of people loitering overnight. It's a game of chance though. I'd rather get a good nights sleep and play a game of chance than stand in a line for 10 hrs overnight. But that's just me. I'm too old to be standing in a line from 2 or 3am onwards. I like my sleep. 13-15 yrs ago I would have been all about that nonsense. Now I like setting my alarm 5 mins before tickets go on sale, rolling out of bed, buying said tickets online and going back to bed lol.
That was kind of standard when I was a teen and wanted to get tickets for a popular concert, circa 1993-1999, after the sleep-over era but before you got your tix via ticketbastard online.

Come_Reptile
05-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Got to the Hollywood Palladium around 6:20am and counted ~150 people. Once it hit 7am lots more people lined up. Apparently the first person in line got there since 11am yesterday,
They started letting people into the official line within the venue lot at 8am, then ticket sales started promptly at 10am. Shout out to venue staff being really friendly and having made this a very well organized event for all there.

I too made new music friends in line and might meetup at one of the shows, thanks TR! One of them flew down from Portland. (if you see this, safe flight back home, lady!)
Hey girl, that was me! I made it back last night, thanks. Didn’t know you were on this forum too, small world! I was a bit nervous about spending the morning alone, thanks for the great conversation :)

streetman
05-21-2018, 12:54 AM
If anyone has an extra GA ticket for the Irving, TX show I'd be willing to buy it off you. I underbought at the pre-sale and have a couple peeps bummed. So this would be a major major help to me. Thx in advance!

Deepvoid
05-21-2018, 08:18 AM

I remember those days as well. Ticketmaster had a bunch of little outlets in malls. I have no problem with that system. You don't need to actually show up at the venue which makes a huge difference.

I bought my tickets for Fragility 2.0 like that. I was 4th or 5th in line. Picked my seats and went back home.

heavenly_bearded
05-21-2018, 08:36 AM

I made friends with our security and asked them this. Their reply. "We were told to let people line up, but discourage them from doing so." You know how many early camping scalpers this curtailed? Genius Trent, genius.

Deepvoid
05-21-2018, 09:01 AM
The premise of the no line before 8am was ridiculous to begin with. Those lines were on public property for the most part (i.e. sidewalks). A venue cannot tell you to not stand on a public sidewalk.

kevinbeetle
05-21-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm still amazed at how many people just left their shit on the sidewalk in NY. Coffee cups, food wrappers, bags, bottles, chairs, food, etc. The sidewalk is not your trashcan. Hold onto your trash until you find a garbage can. I can't stand people who litter.

Kid A
05-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know the date for when the remaining tickets will be put on sale?

ROFLRICK
05-21-2018, 12:11 PM
I could not have had a better time standing in a line in dirty-ass Hollywood than I did on Saturday. Despite the several hundred people in line when we arrived, the venue capacity being 3,200 or so let me know that I'd be getting tickets without issue! And my line buddies were really nice—fans of differing eras of NIN, so lots of debates and stories. The ticket envelope was a nifty perk.

We did not have a listening station that I could see, was that actually a thing?

redshoewearer
05-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Well I'm back. Got the the tickets I wanted for me, my daughters and one of their boyfriends for NYC. I wouldn't call it *fun* exactly, but it was something. As I am old enough to have grown girls, clearly I'm not a spring chicken, but there's still life in the old bird yet. Hauled the carcass out of bed in Brooklyn, got going as early as I could, and got to the line by 9am. Got my tickets a little before 5pm. Stood on my feet in line from when I got off the subway to when I went back in. It was nice to be around people that liked the same thing I do. I'm not chatty in public but it was okay - friendly folk all around. Being downtown in NY also helped the time pass - plenty to look at. Wore my winter coat and glad to have it. It really was quite chilly what with the amount of rain. Many people asked us what we were in line for.

Some people have mentioned a person (older man) who told a group of us around 11:15 or so? (I don't know if he continued down the line) that he 'wanted to be honest with us' and that we probably wouldn't get tickets because whatever was left at noon would also go up online at that time. Either he didn't know what he was talking about or lying. He had some credential around his neck (Radio City?) - maybe they hadn't bargained that so many of us would show up and be patient and stay. Then later on - 1 or so? a woman from Live Nation came out and said there were tickets and that everyone should stay in line. She also said there were 8 ticket windows, and each transaction took about 5 minutes. I did the math and that was a little discouraging because based on that, each of 8 windows could serve 12 people, meaning that was 96 people in 1 hour. I think it went a little faster than that.

I should mention I live in upstate NY, and it's a 4 hour drive first, then a 2.5 hour train ride just to Penn, then subway over to Brooklyn.

My thoughts on the shirt/poster about 'NIN the Physical World' - you know those bumper stickers that say 'this car climbed Mt. Washington' or whatever? It was like that. I didn't buy one, but I can see why someone might.

The thing about NIN is it's never a bad show. I've never ever seen a bad NIN show. I'm sorry for people who can't currently travel to get tickets (a lot of comments on instagram about kids' sports, babies, work, etc.). However, I missed many shows in the 90's due to that - it happens to everyone for a while. Then kids get older and you start going again, and take them with you.

I am thrilled to get good tickets to NIN at RADIO CITY - a nice place. We got our out in the cold and rain out of the way first, instead of buying tickets to a festival online, and then waiting around in bad weather for the show, that also may take place in bad weather. Now all we have to look forward to is enjoying the show in a very nice venue.

buzburbank
05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
...got to the line by 9am. Got my tickets a little before 5pm. Stood on my feet in line from when I got off the subway to when I went back in.

Any truth to the rumor that TR will eschew the customary "Thank you! Good night!" over the needlessly complicated and modern amplified sound system at the end of the show and instead jot a personalized note of gratitude to each fan in attendance on parchment using his best penmanship and feather quill, to be individually stamped, wax-sealed, and posted airmail (first class!) by donning his Sunday best and walking confidently to the shiny blue mailbox at the end of his block, while stopping to compliment ol' Mrs. Beech on her rose garden and playing a quick game of jacks with the neighborhood kids, who have stopped hoop rolling just long enough to listen to the ball game on Billy's new transistor radio?

implanted_microchip
05-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Any truth to the rumor that TR will eschew the customary "Thank you! Good night!" over the needlessly complicated and modern amplified sound system at the end of the show and instead jot a personalized note of gratitude to each fan in attendance on parchment using his best penmanship and feather quill, to be individually stamped, wax-sealed, and posted airmail (first class!) by donning his Sunday best and walking confidently to the shiny blue mailbox at the end of his block, while stopping to compliment ol' Mrs. Beech on her rose garden and playing a quick game of jacks with the neighborhood kids, who have stopped hoop rolling just long enough to listen to the ball game on Billy's new transistor radio?

The setlists will be handed out by telegram, all the samples and backing tracks are going to be performed by cranking the old Victrola in front of the fireplace and afterward everyone will gather around at the closest ice cream parlor to discuss the events and play pranks on Old Man Abernathy, who will die after suffering a heart attack and rejecting modern medicine

somewhat_
05-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Someone on reddit is claiming that the remaining tickets for the shows will be available on ticketmaster by this weekend.

ekrekel
05-21-2018, 06:06 PM
oooh new dates

False alarm, nothing to see here. The KiteBase (https://twitter.com/KiteBaseMusic/status/998511044178989056) tweet got excited for the Washington(state) folks.

thevoid99
05-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks to fine people at the Fox Theatre. I was able to get a discount through a special code and I got my ticket for a decent seat at a cool price. I'm going to the NIN show on September 27, 2018. This will be my fifth NIN show. FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

sonic_discord
05-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Does anyone have an extra ticket holder & envelope with the glossy partial logo that I could buy for a reasonable price?

Tumnayar
05-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Looking for ticket holder and poster :(

Pbgut
05-22-2018, 01:02 AM
I don't know if this is common to do, as I only reunited with my NIN obsession (vs. casual listening) the last couple years and never saw 'em before last year but here's some dream songs I'd love to see in NYC or captured elsewhere on the tour:

Right Where It Belongs
And All That Could Have Been
Various Methods of Escape
The Great Below
All The Love In The World
The Fragile
Demon Seed

And I'm sure plenty of songs from the EPs will be played so I won't list too many but I'd love to hear The Background World. Easily one of my favorite NIN songs.

sick among the pure
05-22-2018, 02:36 AM
My god I could only imagine if we got AATCHB live.
I mean, other than the assholes who would talk through it, like when we finally got A Warm Place live.

ManBurning
05-22-2018, 02:47 AM
The top 4 songs I want to hear live are:

1. The Perfect Drug
2. Sunspots
3. AATCHB
4. Demon Seed

The only one of those that seems feasible is probably Sunspots to be honest. I'd die happy getting to hear any 1 of those songs pop up on this new tour.

The setlists will probably be heavy on material from NTAE, AV and Bad Witch. Which i'd actually be pretty stoked about, NTAE stuff transitions very well live.
I'd be happy hearing nothing but material from the "trilogy" to be honest. I'm kind of done with Hurt and THTF and Closer and Piggy, MOTP, HLAH, Wish, Gave up etc.
I know those are all "classics" that your regular concert goer wants to hear, but i'd be down with just a "night listening to songs from the trilogy live"
I'm in the minority with that request probably.

mostlymad
05-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Got an email from Livenation this morning, advertising the NIN/JAMC shows. Some tickets available, others not yet, but they are promising to have them. I think they have third-party affiliation, but I really hope there are some left for a show I can make. Nashville being the one I'd like to go to, the most.) Probably not great seats, but hell, it'd be something to look forward to.

Kid A
05-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Got an email from Livenation this morning, advertising the NIN/JAMC shows. Some tickets available, others not yet, but they are promising to have them. I think they have third-party affiliation, but I really hope there are some left for a show I can make. Nashville being the one I'd like to go to, the most.) Probably not great seats, but hell, it'd be something to look forward to.

If you arrive early the lawn at Ascend is totally fine. The SBD sits just before where the lawn starts. Great sound and sights. It definitely did not sell out. Wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few seats left, tbh. I heard a ton of ppl in line saying that they were going for lawn as soon as they saw that sheet listing the price tiers.

spahn
05-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Does anyone have an extra ticket holder & envelope with the glossy partial logo that I could buy for a reasonable price?

there is currently one on eBay for $6.00 + $3.00 shipping. I scored one yesterday for $16 shipped. Probably a little more than what it's worth, but whatever.

nmitchell86
05-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Maybe this has already been answered but did anyone scope out the gear used for the two song listen stations? Headphone model, amp\ receiver model ect? I skipped listen as I want to experience it when the vinyl arrives but curiosity has now consumed me. I'm a bit of a gear nerd.

Mike
05-22-2018, 09:19 AM
Maybe this has already been answered but did anyone scope out the gear used for the two song listen stations? Headphone model, amp\ receiver model ect? I skipped listen as I want to experience it when the vinyl arrives but curiosity has now consumed me. I'm a bit of a gear nerd.
I briefly looked in there while trying to look like I wasn't looking in there and only was able to see a DENON logo on the upper left side. Also, the guy standing there had to restart it by poking something through the grille, I assume to hit the play button on a CD. He kept looking at it to see if it was still playing. There was a green - amber - red set of LED's on the left near the logo that showed loudness like a digital VU meter.

Kid A
05-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Still no word as to when the remaining tix are going to be put online? I know dude on reddit said by week end...I have a flight right around 10 Saturday morning so I'm really hoping it's not then...

JaS
05-22-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm dying to know if there is anything left for the New Orleans shows. I fully intend on having NINsgiving in New Orleans if I can get into one of those shows.

FULLMETAL
05-22-2018, 10:26 AM

https://i.imgur.com/iJL97kSl.png

sonic_discord
05-22-2018, 10:41 AM
there is currently one on eBay for $6.00 + $3.00 shipping. I scored one yesterday for $16 shipped. Probably a little more than what it's worth, but whatever.

Only $6?? Where? All I see is $39, $35, and $50...
EDIT: I think I found it. NO ONE ELSE BID ON IT! IT'S MINE!!!

Nellyrific
05-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Wow people are charging $50 for something they got for free!? I’m a little tempted (because I bought tickets to 3 shows and my credit card is a little upset) but I don’t think I can do that to another fan..

halo eighteen
05-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Looks like May 24th 10AM will be the general onsales, at least that's what the Phoenix LiveNation listing is showing.

ryanmcfly
05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Online sales, 10am local time Thursday.

streetman
05-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Wow people are charging $50 for something they got for free!? I’m a little tempted (because I bought tickets to 3 shows and my credit card is a little upset) but I don’t think I can do that to another fan..

Sucks that people do stuff like this. If I had an extra I'd just send it to you free.

witte
05-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Online sales, 10am local time Thursday.
Saw that. Ok, so what was now the sense of organising a box office sale and the theory behind it?

ltrandazzo
05-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Saw that. Ok, so what was now the sense of organising a box office sale and the theory behind it?

People lined up for hours and got to share their experiences of buying concert tickets the old way while also being rewarded with two new songs to listen to, exclusive merchandise, and new social experiences. I'd say that was worth it.

witte
05-22-2018, 12:42 PM
People lined up for hours and got to share their experiences of buying concert tickets the old way while also being rewarded with two new songs to listen to, exclusive merchandise, and new social experiences. I'd say that was worth it.
OK.

FULLMETAL
05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
To confirm, which venues have a General Admission PIT or floor? I just have The Anthem in DC & The Aragon in Chicago.

halo eighteen
05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
To confirm, which venues have a General Admission PIT or floor? I just have The Anthem in DC & The Aragon in Chicago.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, Nashville, and Dallas, as well.

ryanmcfly
05-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Legitimately considering buying some ADA tickets to Red Rocks so I can take my grandparents.

eversonpoe
05-22-2018, 01:08 PM

confirmed! thursday at 10am local time for tix!

ManBurning
05-22-2018, 01:13 PM
So, did none of the shows actually sell out then? I see that every single show is up for online sales on Thursday.
I thought the Chicago and NYC and LA shows all sold out? AT least The Saturday LA one did, didn't it?

Does anyone honestly think there is a good chance of Canadian dates being announced between Chicago and New Orleans in November or are these all the "North American" dates for 2018? I wish they would just come out and release everything at once if that was the case. I'm torn on whether or not to be buying tickets for LA on Thursday or not. Normally I don't mind traveling for NIN shows, but I'll be traveling next month to UK/Paris and then I have a wedding to go to in December as well. LA isn't really in my budget. I mean, I'll make it work if I have to... urgh.

Nellyrific
05-22-2018, 01:13 PM

We were told from the beginning that there would be tickets available online. People stood in line for hours to ensure they got the best options. I’m sure there are very limited tickets for this Thursday.

Pbgut
05-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Legitimately considering buying some ADA tickets to Red Rocks so I can take my grandparents.

If I'd had grandparents who would have come to a NIN show, I'd have taken them. Just a supportive vote here.

botley
05-22-2018, 01:30 PM
So, did none of the shows actually sell out then? I see that every single show is up for online sales on Thursday.
These were pre-sales, which come before the general onsale.

ManBurning
05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
These were pre-sales, which come before the general onsale.

I was under the impression there was "no holding any tickets back" and they could all be sold there on the day of if the demand was there.
Given the amount of people that showed up, I'd say it was safe to say some "should have" sold out.

The instructions said "if there are any left over, the rest will go on sale the traditional way of selling online", some of these shows shouldn't have any left over.

Someone here even posted a photo of the theatre in LA crossing off the Dec 8th date on their marquee.

m0reta
05-22-2018, 02:00 PM
I was under the impression there was "no holding any tickets back" and they could all be sold there on the day of if the demand was there.
Given the amount of people that showed up, I'd say it was safe to say some "should have" sold out.

The instructions said "if there are any left over, the rest will go on sale the traditional way of selling online", some of these shows shouldn't have any left over.

Someone here even posted a photo of the theatre in LA crossing off the Dec 8th date on their marquee.

ADA seats won't have sold out. :-D

Jinsai
05-22-2018, 02:16 PM
at the LA show, they crossed off the Friday and Saturday gigs as being sold out.

bryan_NIN65
05-22-2018, 02:32 PM
They never really stated if they were tix held back or not. They said" what's left", wicth means they can and could have held some back. Very careful wording. They never said all tickets would be avalible. Just the best ones. I expect any remaining tix to go in less than an hour online. Wish me luck for Memphis.

ickyvicky
05-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Since Trent wanted to avoid scalpers as best as he could - with the tickets that are currently on StubHub for $400 and beyond, do you think they'll cancel them?
Do artists, in general, have that power?

bryan_NIN65
05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Since Trent wanted to avoid scalpers as best as he could - with the tickets that are currently on StubHub for $400 and beyond, do you think they'll cancel them?

Kinda depends on the state on how legal scalping is. In most states if you buy it, it is your property to do want you want with including sell for triple what you paid. A licensed middle man makes scalping even more legal. Yes fucking sucks

buzburbank
05-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Sorry, Trent obviously doesn't give a shit about scalpers. A shortish tour in smaller venues and 4-ticket limit with no ID requirement is basically declaring open-season on fans and handing the professional resellers a rifle and scope.

botley
05-22-2018, 05:48 PM
Sorry, Trent obviously doesn't give a shit about scalpers. A shortish tour in smaller venues and 4-ticket limit with no ID requirement is basically declaring open-season on fans and handing the professional resellers a rifle and scope.
It's 2018 brah, scalpers figuratively have already progressed to ICBMs.

captainbeyond
05-22-2018, 06:03 PM

No one told anyone in New Orleans nor was there any signage indicating a listening station with new songs. I literally walked past it several times and also checked out merch, which was right next to it. It just looked like your typical radio station remote broadcast tent promoting the event. Not one person I talked to there knew about it.

Krazy
05-22-2018, 07:49 PM
My impression was that the venues simply ran out of time to buy tickets in person, no? So a small venue like LA would sell out quicker than say Red Rocks. It takes more time to simply do it “the old way”. Venues probably had some say in how long their employees can sit around on a Saturday as well (meaning no OT) for this sale as well.

Nellyrific
05-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Can’t imagine why my Instagram thinks I would like this..(it popped up as a sponsored ad).

https://instagram.com/p/BjGFUMXD8uG/

Krazy
05-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Can’t imagine why my Instagram thinks I would like this..(it popped up as a sponsored ad).

https://instagram.com/p/BjGFUMXD8uG/ (https://instagram.com/p/BjGFUMXD8uG/)

Not sure what’s not to like- unless I’m missing the sarcasm. It’s an ad. Very similar to the Tension tour ads (the audio anyways).

Nellyrific
05-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Not sure what’s not to like- unless I’m missing the sarcasm. It’s an ad. Very similar to the Tension tour ads (the audio anyways).

I’m aware of what it is, and it’s definitely sarcasm. Sorry that didn’t come through.

Krazy
05-22-2018, 08:41 PM
I’m aware of what it is, and it’s definitely sarcasm. Sorry that didn’t come through.

LOL

I was seriously thinking there was another fan about to bitch, hearing NIN’s “hits”for marketing.

Tumnayar
05-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Still looking for an extra ticketholder and poster

akervi
05-22-2018, 10:45 PM
Does anyone have an extra ticket holder & envelope with the glossy partial logo that I could buy for a reasonable price? I've got a spare one i'd be willing to trade for some NIN merch if you have anything small and cool.

elevenism
05-23-2018, 12:07 AM
i thought the line up was actually in Red Rocks Park, which wound up being quite serendipitous. We drove around for like two hours looking for the box office. We finally figured out we were in the wrong place, but it was the most stunning environment i've ever experienced. The geological formations are just unreal. We were constantly having to stop so that deer could cross the road. We watched the sun rise over the mountains and it was fucking incredible.

Also, i got off my ass and drove to spend time with my brother and his family in Denver.

These side effects of the Physical World thing were REALLY good for my wife and me.

suprefan
05-23-2018, 04:00 AM

The artist does have that kind of authority. It just depends if they choose to do anything about it. Cat Stevens would not play in New York due to any venue not being able to abide by the policy he has on ticket sales. Radiohead made stub hub pull any listing for their shows in los angeles in 2016, which made anyone trying to sell have to do it on craigslist, and even then the promoter and venue were doing everything they could to make sure resellers werent getting their way. It resulted in a few hundred tickets being cancelled and then sold directly at thw box office the day of each show.

you have to keep in mind, this is Live Nation and they are not as harsh on resellers because they do it themselves. Even the verified fan program has its flaws and still lets resellers buy tickets.

My impression was that the venues simply ran out of time to buy tickets in person, no? So a small venue like LA would sell out quicker than say Red Rocks. It takes more time to simply do it “the old way”. Venues probably had some say in how long their employees can sit around on a Saturday as well (meaning no OT) for this sale as well.

Just so you know, the box office at the Palladium is normally open from 10am to 2pm on Saturdays. So its not like there wasnt going to be schduled staff anyway to sell tickets. And considering how much money was made over the course of the day, I dont think it mattered one bit if there was any overtime being paid when the venue was making over a million dollars in ticket sales. Also, why wouldnt you pay your employees more to be there on a saturday to do this.

theimage13
05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Just so you know, the box office at the Palladium is normally open from 10am to 2pm on Saturdays. So its not like there wasnt going to be schduled staff anyway to sell tickets. And considering how much money was made over the course of the day, I dont think it mattered one bit if there was any overtime being paid when the venue was making over a million dollars in ticket sales. Also, why wouldnt you pay your employees more to be there on a saturday to do this.

Not sure where you got the $1,000,000 in ticket sales figure - I guess it's feasible if they were selling for four shows and majority of tickets were well over $100 each. But that doesn't factor too deeply into what your box office staff is making. The venue didn't just make a million dollars. Not even close. Speaking of which: why wouldn't they be paid more on a Saturday? Why WOULD they? Unless you're in a certain type of union, most employees - in any business - make the same on Saturday (or Sunday) as they do on a week day. That's shitty job prerequisite 101: "must be able to work nights and weekends".

Krazy
05-23-2018, 09:47 AM
^^^Thank you.

Theyve got a business to run. Nothing more, nothing less.

kaydraven
05-23-2018, 12:01 PM
I feel like I'm in the minority saying I didn't enjoy the in-person pre-sale. It played out like every other concert line I've ever been in, which is most likely due to the people around me. But in the end, I guess I'm glad I did it. I knew there was a chance tickets would go on sale online later, but I honestly thought they might sell out at the pre-sale. So I don't regret going and getting tickets in hand with a cool little souvenir. Plus, I was able to avoid TM fees for once which actually made it possible for me to go to the show in the first place. But is the in-person event something I want to do again? Not really.

Findus
05-23-2018, 12:47 PM
I just sampled one of the tour's opening acts..... Daniel Avery's Song for Alpha, and I'm definitely going to pick up this album.
It sounds very Warp '94, as if a long-lost Artificial Intelligence III compilation was finally released.

Discobunny
05-23-2018, 02:02 PM
I just sampled one of the tour's opening acts..... Daniel Avery's Song for Alpha, and I'm definitely going to pick up this album.
It sounds very Warp '94, as if a long-lost Artificial Intelligence III compilation was finally released.

Im excited to check out the opening bands...

I loved Tobacco in Bakersfield last year. They were giving me mad Psychic TV vibes.

halo eighteen
05-23-2018, 02:22 PM
What I remember of Factory Floor from their Coachella set a few years back was... interesting? I guess, to be polite. Abstract was probably the best way to describe it. It almost seemed like they were still soundchecking and not really realizing that they were performing for a crowd lol

So I guess I'm intrigued to see what Gabe Gurnsey will be like in Detroit.

jhulud
05-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Odd question.

NIN's posting on their FB is that tix sales would resume tomorrow at 10am local venue times. Yet just got an email from them saying that they resume at 10am PST.

Huh?

Kid A
05-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Odd question.

NIN's posting on their FB is that tix sales would resume tomorrow at 10am local venue times. Yet just got an email from them saying that they resume at 10am PST.

Huh?

LN and TM are both showing 10am local on sales. I think someone just goofed sending out that email.

TinDefacto
05-23-2018, 03:43 PM
I'd agree if it were just a four-hour wait, or maybe five. Nine and a half was a bit much. Especially when they packed up the black box with the new tracks hours before my place in line made it near there.

That said, I'm glad I did it. I just wouldn't do it again, if that makes any sense.

kaydraven
05-23-2018, 03:50 PM
I'd agree if it were just a four-hour wait, or maybe five. Nine and a half was a bit much. Especially when they packed up the black box with the new tracks hours before my place in line made it near there.

That said, I'm glad I did it. I just wouldn't do it again, if that makes any sense.

I'm right there with you. I wouldn't do it again either. And even though the listening booth was still there when I got my tickets, it took so long in line that I couldn't stick around. I had to leave to get to an appointment, so I couldn't even listen to them.

Kid A
05-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Love seeing the reseller market alive and well on Ticketmaster for this anti scalper tour. Baffling. (https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/Z7r9jZ1AeCa8M?routing=y&tmrid=TMR-2389437&_ga=2.8147250.1458149792.1526906833-1016902552.1497541234)

Wolfkiller
05-23-2018, 04:30 PM
It wasn't the actual event, but it felt like one. Chatting in line, the anticipation about getting tickets, the surprise exclusive merch etc... I thought this was pretty damn cool.

Sarah K
05-23-2018, 05:30 PM
Please note how the vast majority of people who attended the pre-sale had an excellent time, and most of the folks whining about it didn't even go. Sooooooooo

tony.parente
05-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Please note how the vast majority of people who attended the pre-sale had an excellent time, and most of the folks whining about it didn't even go. Sooooooooo
Some of us couldn't go, because the closest show was 6 hours away and we couldn't dedicate 12 hours in driving and another 5-10 hours waiting in line, on top of a hotel room to try and get a $100 concert ticket before scalpers nab up the onsale.

Sarah K
05-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Yep. I acknowledge that. I lived in Nebraska for most of my life, so I get that it sucks when bands don't come to your area. And it also takes a pretty big amount of privilege to be able to dedicate this much time and money to buy concert tickets.

I'm more referring to the people who are talking shit about the actual process, even though they did not make an attempt to go. It seems like many people just didn't *want* to put the effort in, so they put down the entire process as dumb, even thought the people who went generally seem to have had a great time.

Krazy
05-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Re: on line sales time. Go to Live Nation or Ticketmaster or whoever is selling the tickets- there’s a countdown clock in case there’s any confusion.

Nellyrific
05-23-2018, 06:23 PM
My experience was good as well. I was only in line for 5 hours as opposed to 8 or 9 like some people I know. It was kind of a weird feeling at the end like I had just been to a concert, only not. I will say though that I am privileged to live in LA (or not, depending on who you ask), have no disabilities, and have a job that lets me make my own schedule.

There was not one moment during that entire process where I wasn’t aware of how lucky I was to be able to be there.

thevoid99
05-23-2018, 06:49 PM
I just found this on YouTube. This proves that we... are the best fans in the world because we will wait hours for this band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BylKxjs4044

zero
05-23-2018, 06:54 PM
I would say the overall experience of standing in line 5 1/2 hours for tickets was positive. When we finally got to the ticket window and purchased tickets, I felt like I had earned them! That's not a feeling I usually associate with buying tickets. It was also great to spend time in line with my youngest son (he is an adult) and it will be fantastic to take two of my sons to the concert in October.

tony.parente
05-23-2018, 06:55 PM
Yep. I acknowledge that. I lived in Nebraska for most of my life, so I get that it sucks when bands don't come to your area. And it also takes a pretty big amount of privilege to be able to dedicate this much time and money to buy concert tickets.

I'm more referring to the people who are talking shit about the actual process, even though they did not make an attempt to go. It seems like many people just didn't *want* to put the effort in, so they put down the entire process as dumb, even thought the people who went generally seem to have had a great time.

1. St. Louis and Chicago are essentially the same area for those of us who don’t mind the drive for the show.
2. I have the money for tickets.
3. The process sucks, this is the scalpers dream tour. It shuts out fans who don’t live in the area and forces them to buy the tickets from scalpers in that area if they don’t get any of the few remaining tickets leftover on the online general onsale that does nothing to curb scalpers either.

It hurts and excludes everyone but the people who had 10 hours minimum on a Saturday to line up to buy concert tickets on the basis of “lol real life guys”

Otherwise the ticket envelopes, tshirts and the listening booth was cool from the looks of it.

I hope that listening booth was using vinyl though, the horror of the physical presale using DIGITAL FILES is unbearable for me.

Krazy
05-23-2018, 07:16 PM
, even though they did not make an attempt to go. It seems like many people just didn't *want* to put the effort in, so they put down the entire process as dumb, even thought the people who went generally seem to have had a great time.

Fucking REALLY?...

OK, super duper 2018 NIN fan.

TheRealNs1
05-23-2018, 07:19 PM

It seems clear how much one enjoyed the experience directly depended on how much one had to sacrifice to make it happen, and whether or not they were successful at actually getting a ticket. I would've been ok with this thing if I could go with friends, have a nice leisurely time, and basically preparty the whole 8 hours I waited. Sounds like that's what Trent wanted.

Instead I went solo, pushed off a million work things, got delayed going back to work, and then had to get crushed by the increased workload due to the delay. So sure I got my tix, and if there's no other option I may or may not do it again next time, but fuuuuck this physical get in line and sacrifice your entire day bullshit.

Sarah K
05-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Fucking REALLY?...

OK, super duper 2018 NIN fan.

Which part do you disagree with?

It seems clear how much one enjoyed the experience directly depended on how much one had to sacrifice to make it happen, and whether or not they were successful at actually getting a ticket. I would've been ok with this thing if I could go with friends, have a nice leisurely time, and basically preparty the whole 8 hours I waited. Sounds like that's what Trent wanted.

Disagree! I went completely alone and was there for right around 12 hours. Right in the middle of finals week for my very last semester of undergrad. Haha. I was actually doing homework for a couple of hours! But then the rain shit all over my homework parade. :(

Krazy
05-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Which part do you disagree with?

Everything I quoted. People are/we’re too busy and it just didn’t work out for them. Get off your high horse constantly stating how an awesome experience it was for you, when a lot of others would’ve had to have a long drive or fly out for tickets.

For what it’s worth you seem to keep bringing this shit up and not the other way around.

Sarah K
05-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Agreed, and those are not the people I am speaking about, as was already clarified earlier.

TheRealNs1
05-23-2018, 07:37 PM
Disagree! I went completely alone and was there for right around 12 hours. Right in the middle of finals week for my very last semester of undergrad. Haha. I was actually doing homework for a couple of hours! But then the rain shit all over my homework parade. :(

In other words, you sacrificed nothing. I could not bring my work along with me, and basically had to tell all my dogs "hey sorry y'all, but I needed these tickets more than you needed to pee".

Ok, I'll try to stop being salty now.

Krazy
05-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Agreed, and those are not the people I am speaking about, as was already clarified earlier.

Ahem...

, and most of the folks whining about it didn't even go. Sooooooooo

EDIT: and BS, you’ve crapped on people who complained about it from the get go.

Sarah K
05-23-2018, 07:41 PM
I still do not understand what you are trying to say. PM me so we don't clog up the thread any more!

tony.parente
05-23-2018, 07:50 PM
I still do not understand what you are trying to say. PM me so we don't clog up the thread any more!
My understanding is that they are saying that you are complaining about the people who were upset about the pre-sale because they couldn’t go but also saying that you were not talking about the people who couldn’t go.

matt925
05-23-2018, 09:44 PM

I have a toddler and a very pregnant wife. She’d happily give me the night off to go to the show, but throwing away a Saturday just to pay for the ticket is crazy. I didn’t even mention it, just saying it out loud sounds ridiculous.

I have to think trent didn’t imagine if he was a regular fan but with the rest of his life situation (50s, little kids, but having a 9-5 job). It just seems really unrealistic to ask for a lot of diehard fans.

iamclassic
05-23-2018, 10:03 PM
I have a toddler and a very pregnant wife. She’d happily give me the night off to go to the show, but throwing away a Saturday just to pay for the ticket is crazy. I didn’t even mention it, just saying it out loud sounds ridiculous.

I have to think trent didn’t imagine if he was a regular fan but with the rest of his life situation (50s, little kids, but having a 9-5 job). It just seems really unrealistic to ask for a lot of diehard fans.

You should be able to buy a ticket tomorrow!

Sarah K
05-24-2018, 12:15 AM
I sure wish that in 2018, there was some sort of technology available that allowed us to comminitcate and organize with people who do not live in our cities.

Maybe someday!

sick among the pure
05-24-2018, 01:01 AM
I sure wish that in 2018, there was some sort of technology available that allowed us to comminitcate and organize with people who do not live in our cities.

Maybe someday!

While I am grateful that I was able to PayPal a friend of mine to get me a ticket, I realize that not everybody has that option.
Just as I would hope people who were able to physically make it to these locations were grateful that they didn't have to stay home because the drive/flight out there and back would far exceed scalper prices.
I feel for the people who were unable to get a ticket during the Physical World sale, and hope they are able to get one from the leftover online sale. Because once again the reason people are "bitching" about this is they love NIN and want to see a live show, and they were physically unable to go get a ticket.

It looked like a fun time, aside from variables out of Trent's control (weather, venues fucking up, scalpers existing in the physical world). I really wish I had been able to just not take 2 big assignments and drive 6+ hours each way to the closest venue. Not being sarcastic, I would have loved it, my husband even offered to drive me (so I could sleep in the car) because he knows how much of a fucking nerd I am for this band.
But at the end of the day, the experience that Trent wanted us to have (go meet strangers and become friends! go talk to real people!) is the experience we already have when we go to shows. Maybe it's because I get GA whenever it's an option, but I am used to lining up 6+ hours with a few hundred people who are also big enough NIN fans to do the same. Everyone lines up, we start striking up conversations, people order food and share it, people hold places in the line for bathroom/food and drink runs, we ogle the new merch. Every positive story I've read about these Physical World events is literally a typical day in line for the show, minus the listening booth.

tony.parente
05-24-2018, 06:57 AM

Maybe someday!

Tried that (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4537-Cold-and-Black-and-Infinite-Fall-Tour-2018-Live-Tour-Discussion?p=406449#post406449), also hit up a few friends in Chicago, nothing. Maybe someday!

Jon
05-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Maybe someday!

I realize that many people got tickets "through" someone else, but there seemed to be no discussion how that was seemingly against the "spirit" of the Physical World presale.

It's not necessarily that people are salty; it's that there doesn't actually seem to be a "back and forth" discussion.

eversonpoe
05-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Tried that (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4537-Cold-and-Black-and-Infinite-Fall-Tour-2018-Live-Tour-Discussion?p=406449#post406449), also hit up a few friends in Chicago, nothing. Maybe someday!

you didn't ask me. i would have been happy to get you a ticket.

elevenism
05-24-2018, 08:29 AM
So check this out: directly ahead of us in line was an African American dude who was well dressed and very well spoken. He was at least 55. We started talking and it turned out that he was a psychologist.

And he was really into NIN. I mistakenly assumed that he was just there with a friend or something because he seemed too, idk, square I guess, to be a hardcore NIN fan. I know that might sound kind of stereotypical, but it's just true.

He was cool as shit; he had a chair that he let me sit in when I mentioned my back injury.

So it was very interesting discussing NIN with this cat.

FULLMETAL
05-24-2018, 09:09 AM
May 19th:
Drove 7 hours to queue for another 8 hours in order to purchase tickets. Had a good time hanging out, but couldn't help but see ways to improve the overall experience.

May 24th:
09:58am signed into my Ticketfly account & updated my address since I only used it while I was living in California.
10am picked up a GA ticket for Washington DC on the 9th of October and then one for the 10th.
10:01am went back to watching pornos until the Central Time on-sale starts.
10:08am cleaned up and clicked on the ETS tab to post an update. Probably included too much information.

tony.parente
05-24-2018, 09:13 AM
you didn't ask me. i would have been happy to get you a ticket.
Lol I hit you up on fb ������

eversonpoe
05-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Lol I hit you up on fb ������

my facebook has been deactivated for months, which i specifically told you. i don't know how you would have done so.

also, you have my phone number, and you know i spend way too much time on here. clearly you weren't trying very hard. :p

GulDukat
05-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Here's an idea and I don't know how plausible this would be:

What if you could buy tickets to a show, in person, but there would be more than one outlet to buy tickets in person? For example, say you wanted to go to the Boston show(s) but lived in Worcester, MA, rather than wake up at 5: 00 am to make it Boston by 7:30, you could buy tickets, in person, at the DCU Center in Worcester. There would still be the whole Internet-less, in person experience, but it would make buying tickets easier and more accessible.

elevenism
05-24-2018, 09:30 AM
May 19th:
Drove 7 hours to queue for another 8 hours in order to purchase tickets. Had a good time hanging out, but couldn't help but see ways to improve the overall experience.

May 24th:
09:58am signed into my Ticketfly account & updated my address since I only used it while I was living in California.
10am picked up a GA ticket for Washington DC on the 9th of October and then one for the 10th.
10:01am went back to watching pornos until the Central Time on-sale starts.
10:08am cleaned up and clicked on the ETS tab to post an update. Probably included too much information.
Look, I'm not going to say that standing in line was "fun." I mean, keep in mind, I broke my back in five places about 3 years ago.
But it forced me out of my comfort zone (and my zone is way, WAY too fucking comfortable, involving a whole lot of laying in bed and rarely leaving the house.)

So it fucking sucked, but was at the same time, REALLY good for me. I know 99% of people aren't in my situation, but all in all it was great for me.

i can see where it would suck in general though.
as for me, however, I'd like to shake the hand of the man who caused me to make my first tentative steps out of this rut.

Also: @RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) , a million times '"like" for that idea

botley
05-24-2018, 09:34 AM

What if you could buy tickets to a show, in person, but there would be more than one outlet to buy tickets in person? For example, say you wanted to go to the Boston show(s) but lived in Worcester, MA, rather than wake up at 5: 00 am to make it Boston by 7:30, you could buy tickets, in person, at the DCU Center in Worcester. There would still be the whole Internet-less, in person experience, but it would make buying tickets easier and more accessible.
Yeah, if they're going to partner with Live Nation you'd think that'd be relatively simple to figure out. Anyway, I ended up buying a ticket for NYC#2 on Ticketmaster, no problem.

halo eighteen
05-24-2018, 09:35 AM

If Ticketmaster vendors or retail outlets or whatever they called them were still a thing, I think that's probably exactly how it would've went down.

botley
05-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Up here we still have local promoters selling tickets at indie record stores, if you wanted to be REAL old school.

trezdustrial
05-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Well that was frustrating as fuck.

Ok. I'm over it. Moving on....

ekrekel
05-24-2018, 09:56 AM

30s for me, but same exact boat otherwise. Kindness of other fans worked out for me this go-around but there's not necessarily a 1:1 ratio of those that need help and those that can offer it.

sweeterthan
05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
I realize that many people got tickets "through" someone else, but there seemed to be no discussion how that was seemingly against the "spirit" of the Physical World presale.

It's not necessarily that people are salty; it's that there doesn't actually seem to be a "back and forth" discussion.

I posted my experience in the Atlanta thread but not in here:

I was late getting in line at the Fox. My goal was to be there by 7:30a but I have kids and I had to wait for my childcare (my sweet mother in law) to show up so I didn’t get there until 830ish. The line was around the block. I messaged some people I know to see if I could cut but it was a no go. The line moved really slow and I started questioning what I was doing there since my goal in going to the ticket sale was to get close. With so many in front of me, it started to feel like that it wasn’t going to happen. Then the fox came around and told a bunch of us we might not reach the box office by three. They said we might want to leave because they can’t guarantee us tickets even if the show isn’t sold out.

I posted this information to fox theater thread on ets. I knew it would be seen. I was thinking maybe by reznor’s marketing people and they could make accommodations. I didn’t realize another ets member, a person I don’t even know would see my post. tcrudolph messaged me from farther up the line and voluntarily bought 2 very good seats for me and my husband. Then he sold them to me on the street outside the venue, just feet away from where I met Trent Reznor for the first time in 1994. Tcrudolph’s kindness and consideration will be forever appreciated by me. ❤️

The fox did end up helping people who were in line at 3pm from what I’ve read.

ekrekel
05-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Those online service fees tho...
$135 ticket
$21.50 Service
$1.78 Additional Taxes
$4.00 Order Processing
$3.50 Shipping

$165.78 vs $145 in person.

bryan_NIN65
05-24-2018, 10:14 AM
So the tour sold out in less than one minute on line. Tried for Memphis no luck.

zecho
05-24-2018, 10:16 AM
I posted this in the Irving thread, but I'm gonna post it here too:

Well, I was online at ten sharp, picked three GA tickets, went to checkout and got a message saying that it couldn't be completed on my device. I was using a computer. So, I had two other people try, and they got the same thing. None of us were ever able to check out, no matter how many times we tried. Now GA is sold out, and there's no option of getting three seats together. Good going Ticket Master. I'm sure none of these tickets were bought by bots for scalpers.

somewhat_
05-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Quite a few tickets remaining for Detroit.

mostlymad
05-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the tip, I got one!

bryan_NIN65
05-24-2018, 10:29 AM

Yeah the 23rd is my B day too really thinking of the 30 hour round trip drive,lol.

tcrudolph
05-24-2018, 10:30 AM
I posted my experience in the Atlanta thread but not in here:

I was late getting in line at the Fox. My goal was to be there by 7:30a but I have kids and I had to wait for my childcare (my sweet mother in law) to show up so I didn’t get there until 830ish. The line was around the block. I messaged some people I know to see if I could cut but it was a no go. The line moved really slow and I started questioning what I was doing there since my goal in going to the ticket sale was to get close. With so many in front of me, it started to feel like that it was gong to happen. Then the fox came around and told a bunch of us we might not reach the box office by three. They said we might want to leave because they can’t guarantee us tickets even if the show isn’t sold out.

I posted this information to fox theater thread on ets. I knew it would be seen. I was thinking maybe by reznor’s marketing people and they could make accommodations. I didn’t realize another ets member, a person I don’t even know would see my post. @tcrudolph (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4074) messaged me from farther up the line and voluntarily bought 2 very good seats for me and my husband. Then he sold them to me on the street outside the venue, just feet away from where I met Trent Reznor for the first time in 1994. Tcrudolph’s kindness and consideration will be forever appreciated by me. ❤️

The fox did end up helping people who were in line at 3pm from what I’ve read.

To add to this, if I may, this was really about making a decision during crunch time when I was about 10 minutes in line from the box office to help a fellow fan that I had seen on the board for YEARS, follow on Instagram and Twitter, and knew was an enormous fan like myself and had been in line for hours already. The staff were a little all over the place with what info they had with regard to sales, seating, etc, and they were starting to announce, from what we understood, that tickets will NOT be sold at all after 3pm, when initially they said if you were in line by 3pm you would be able to purchase. To say it's against the spirit of the physical world presale, while I understand the sentiment, I don't really know... There were certainly obvious scalpers in there buying up the max amount of tickets for resale. I know someone that runs his own business as a reseller doing that kind of stuff, and I can't stand him. Crazy amounts of credit cards, fan club memberships, and contacts that will stand in line or let people into concerts to get paid, so I know it's happening there.

I purchased 4 tix for each night; 2 for my wife and I going both nights, 2 for two folks I wanted to bring the first night, and the remaining two for sweeterthan because I wanted to help when things seemed like they could be getting tight and I knew she would appreciate having tickets when being in line by 830am looked like you may not even get them. If it wasn't someone I had interacted with before from this board living in the same city, and that I had been following on social media and felt like I somewhat knew by association, then I wouldn't have had any reason to do it. Just my two cents.

kaydraven
05-24-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't dig the in-person event. I'm lucky that my wait wasn't super long, but still it sucked. And I tried to get out my comfort zone and strike up convos, but it never got far. I think the people I was around wanted to stick with their friend group, which is understandable. Still, at this point I'm glad I did it just to get my tickets. For comparison, I tried to get tickets via TM and after refreshing 5 times a pair came up. The total would've been 239 for two vs 209. Can't really beat that. But as I mentioned earlier, I would not want to do an in-person event again and I hope they find a better way to combat scalpers next time they tour.

skullboy0
05-24-2018, 10:39 AM
So the tour sold out in less than one minute on line. Tried for Memphis no luck.

I just tried for one ticket & got a result.

Jon
05-24-2018, 10:40 AM
If it wasn't someone I had interacted with before from this board living in the same city, and that I had been following on social media and felt like I somewhat knew by association, then I wouldn't have had any reason to do it. Just my two cents.

Don't sell yourself short, you did a good thing.

I brought up people getting tickets for others because I actually feel/felt guilty asking someone (because of the nature of the event), not because those people are "bad" or "wrong".

tcrudolph
05-24-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't dig the in-person event. I'm lucky that my wait wasn't super long, but still it sucked. And I tried to get out my comfort zone and strike up convos, but it never got far. I think the people I was around wanted to stick with their friend group, which is understandable. Still, at this point I'm glad I did it just to get my tickets. For comparison, I tried to get tickets via TM and after refreshing 5 times a pair came up. The total would've been 239 for two vs 209. Can't really beat that. But as I mentioned earlier, I would not want to do an in-person event again and I hope they find a better way to combat scalpers next time they tour.

Agreed - still hashing out my feelings on it. If we hadn't gotten there at 740AM we may not even have tickets, spent 6 hours in line and would've missed a wedding we needed to get to if it went any longer. I didn't mind doing it and there were definitely some neat aspects, but if it were to become a regular thing I think my feelings would change. I've been doing the online presales since the With Teeth 2005 tour and never had an issue, but I understand and appreciate the attempts to fight scalping nonetheless.

tcrudolph
05-24-2018, 10:43 AM

I brought up people getting tickets for others because I actually feel/felt guilty asking someone (because of the nature of the event), not because those people are "bad" or "wrong".

Gotcha - I would say I considered the ethics of such a thing with regard to the "physical world" presale idea in the days since, and I do find it interesting. That's not to say I wouldn't do it again, I just think it raises some interesting questions.

tcrudolph
05-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Gotcha - I would say I considered the ethics of such a thing with regard to the "physical world" presale idea in the days since, and I do find it interesting. That's not to say I wouldn't do it again, I just think it raises some interesting questions.

Plus I'm excited to hang out with sweeterthan and her husband and make new ets friends :)

kaydraven
05-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Agreed - still hashing out my feelings on it. If we hadn't gotten there at 740AM we may not even have tickets, spent 6 hours in line and would've missed a wedding we needed to get to if it went any longer. I didn't mind doing it and there were definitely some neat aspects, but if it were to become a regular thing I think my feelings would change. I've been doing the online presales since the With Teeth 2005 tour and never had an issue, but I understand and appreciate the attempts to fight scalping nonetheless.

Yeah, exactly. I don't mind it now and I'm lucky I got there at 7. I honestly probably would've given up if I got there later and was way far back in line. But it's gonna be a pain if it's a regular thing. I'm so used to just dealing with online pre-sales and TM fees at this point. It sucks, but I can't always drop everything to go to a box office to get tickets. I can't imagine what would've happened if I actually worked on Saturday!

trezdustrial
05-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Try again!

I tried to buy tickets at 10:00 am and was unable to. I get a text from Ticketmaster at 11:00 saying tickets are available. Managed to go back to ticketmaster website and buy two tickets.

Just a weird experience overall. Went from frustrated to elated.

And yes, Youth is King. I don't think Trent is catering to the age bracket that has been supporting his work since the late 80's.

HighPlainsDrifter
05-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Got in line in Denver at 7:10AM. Somebody walked by with a counter and said we were about 700th in line, by 8:00 the line had doubled and was about 1,400-1,500 strong. Took a little over six hours to secure my tix. Row 1 is reserved for disability seating at Red Rocks and those were not available at the presale. Rows 2-7 were non transferable Flash Seats only (no hard ticket). This must have made people skittish about purchasing those tix and allowed me to score four in the 5th row!

Check out the drone footage that somebody shot -

https://twitter.com/Coxitron/status/998408086267183106

TheRealNs1
05-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Those online service fees tho...
$135 ticket
$21.50 Service
$1.78 Additional Taxes
$4.00 Order Processing
$3.50 Shipping

$165.78 vs $145 in person.

Those in-person service fees though
- Parking
- Gas
- Food/other shit you need to survive for the next
- 8 hours of your life

Call those fees $21 well spent.

Ruined
05-24-2018, 12:13 PM
LMAO the SF show just sent me to a broken link where it was all screwed up: just the skeleton of a site with the links that did noting and missing images. Glad I just bit the bullet and paid $150 on stubhub. Online had zero chance of getting tix. Now it's not even bots; it's like the site was wrecked (not exactly crashed as the outlines of a site, with link lists were present). What a crock of shit.

tony.parente
05-24-2018, 12:19 PM
You think that Trent is getting a kickback from stubhub for doing this tour in such a pro-scalper fashion?

Ruined
05-24-2018, 12:22 PM
So, I completely backed out and just stubbornly rebooted my Laptop and was able to get tickets, for my friend, 22 minutes after they went on sale. Surprised it worked. GL to everyone else.

Portrait in Flesh
05-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Took two computers and two different browsers, but managed to snag one ticket for the third L.A. show. Whew.

k258
05-24-2018, 01:02 PM
So yeah, after all the stress and anxiety of having to miss the in-person presale, it was easy as pie to get tickets for both days in D.C. (NYC not so much.) With the nearest venue 6 hours away from me, this was by far the more reasonable situation. Sad to miss out on special merch, but happy to only travel once for 2 shows. Even so, I hope they NEVER do it this way again.

suprefan
05-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Those in-person service fees though
- Parking
- Gas
- Food/other shit you need to survive for the next
- 8 hours of your life

Call those fees $21 well spent.

Maybe $5 for me. Almost a gallon of gas, a bottle of water and a bag of chips, who pays for parking lol.

TheRealNs1
05-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Maybe $5 for me. Almost a gallon of gas, a bottle of water and a bag of chips, who pays for parking lol.

Bet you a bunch of those fans who got $70 parking tix for exceeding the 2 hour park limit wished they paid. DOT made a fucking killing on NIN fans that morning.

Portrait in Flesh
05-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Bet you a bunch of those fans who got $70 parking tix for exceeding the 2 hour park limit wished they paid. DOT made a fucking killing on NIN fans that morning.

Yeah. The last thing I want to do is worry about parking at shows, so I just paid the extra $20 via LiveNation and washed my hands of it.

Toadflax
05-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Posted this in the NY thread (and accidentally in the DC thread), but NIN should hit show 1,000 on this tour. Based on nintourhistory.com and the currently listed dates, it'll be 10/13 in NY, but I don't know how complete the history site is (plus they may add more dates between now and then).

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33343532_10106401943939903_4329463137586642944_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEdbPVz3tL2ktLdxZoJSnoZEDgY3GrUG6uSZmxqs sNK52UlctYdeQSFpkmysT8LJYFTkZ14WYmt3vbIk_oL7IeqR1U tUA54e0p_BFadwH_qeg&oh=137e572104fddc24ef9ae1bffaf20325&oe=5B78285F

Sarah K
05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
I hope that's true. Holy shit. Something about being at the 1,000th one would be fucking amazing.

Jetvet1975
05-24-2018, 02:35 PM
My Physical World Presale Story

Here's my story: Like most of you, I'm a huge NIN fan and have been for years. My first NIN memory is seeing the HLAH video on MTV and being blown away...I then proceeded to buy PHM on cassette and run that cassette into the ground! Fast forward to present day...I unfortunately knew ahead of time I wasn't able to make it to the Physical World Presale. I had a 5k to run in the rain and then my daughter's soccer game to watch in a downpour. So I reached out in the days leading up to the presale on reddit and ETS, hoping that anyone would be able to get me a ticket...as the days wore on, I was losing hope, realizing my only hope would be battling the bots when TM finally put tickets on sale...But then late Friday night, I put out one last desperate plea for help. Could anyone buy me an extra ticket? Then, out of nowhere, this guy Uri, AKA @afistfulofschmeckles (I think) on reddit responded. A complete stranger. Never met this dude in my life. He was already in line at Radio City! The night before tickets went on sale! IN THE RAIN! He said if I could send him the money through Venmo he'd help me out. At first I was hesitant bc I've been burned before, but after texting a bit, I decided to take a chance and sent him the money. I held my breath and crossed my fingers...and then the next morning, shortly after finishing my 5k, Uri informed me that not only had he bought me a ticket, but was able to get center orchestra, just a few rows back! He then took the extra effort to send me a pic of my ticket and even had it fed-we'd to me! Today, I got the ticket in the mail and I'm beyond psyched! And I just wanted to give Uri the recognition he deserves! Dude, YOU'RE the real MVP! Thanks again for restoring my faith in humanity! This is something I'll never forget, and I hope one day to pay it forward when the opportunity presents itself...NIN fans really are the fucking best!

kaydraven
05-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Even though I wasn't the biggest of the in-person event, I'm glad to hear of all the fans helping each other with picking up tickets for those who couldn't be there etc. Reminds me that the world isn't always a shit hole.

elevenism
05-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Got in line in Denver at 7:10AM. Somebody walked by with a counter and said we were about 700th in line, by 8:00 the line had doubled and was about 1,400-1,500 strong. Took a little over six hours to secure my tix. Row 1 is reserved for disability seating at Red Rocks and those were not available at the presale. Rows 2-7 were non transferable Flash Seats only (no hard ticket). This must have made people skittish about purchasing those tix and allowed me to score four in the 5th row!

Check out the drone footage that somebody shot -

https://twitter.com/Coxitron/status/998408086267183106
You were probably pretty damn close to me. We stood by the portapotties and across from the RVs for a long ass time. I had on, for awhile, a long, black leather trench coat.

Also, i was just momentarily thrown for a loop by your username, combined with the fact that you were there Sunday: I sometimes use the name High PLANES Drifter (as in higher planes of existence, but also acknowledging the fact that I come from and live on the great high planes.)

For a split second, I thought I had changed my username, haha.

snichols
05-24-2018, 03:31 PM
attention anyone still looking for tickets: i know its blasphemy, but there are a lot of tickets available on Ebay via stubhub. some are asking astronomical money for 1 ticket, as others are asking pretty reasonable amounts for 1 or 2 tickets. I'm not a seller, just thought i would put it out there for those who may have missed out.

also want to give a shout out to wolfkiller for hooking me up. this ETS community is amazing and i couldn't be more thankful:)

sweeterthan
05-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Plus I'm excited to hang out with sweeterthan and her husband and make new ets friends :)

[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

sweeterthan
05-24-2018, 03:45 PM

I pretty much told him the same thing. You should feel so good because you did a good thing. [emoji7][emoji869]

Yogibear303
05-24-2018, 04:46 PM
went into 11/27 and 28/18 show when they went on sale and there were no tix - went back in an hour later and grabbed 2 pit tickets for 11/28 - woo hoo!

Sarah K
05-24-2018, 05:07 PM
My Physical World Presale Story

Here's my story: Like most of you, I'm a huge NIN fan and have been for years. My first NIN memory is seeing the HLAH video on MTV and being blown away...I then proceeded to buy PHM on cassette and run that cassette into the ground! Fast forward to present day...I unfortunately knew ahead of time I wasn't able to make it to the Physical World Presale. I had a 5k to run in the rain and then my daughter's soccer game to watch in a downpour. So I reached out in the days leading up to the presale on reddit and ETS, hoping that anyone would be able to get me a ticket...as the days wore on, I was losing hope, realizing my only hope would be battling the bots when TM finally put tickets on sale...But then late Friday night, I put out one last desperate plea for help. Could anyone buy me an extra ticket? Then, out of nowhere, this guy Uri, AKA @afistfulofschmeckles (I think) on reddit responded. A complete stranger. Never met this dude in my life. He was already in line at Radio City! The night before tickets went on sale! IN THE RAIN! He said if I could send him the money through Venmo he'd help me out. At first I was hesitant bc I've been burned before, but after texting a bit, I decided to take a chance and sent him the money. I held my breath and crossed my fingers...and then the next morning, shortly after finishing my 5k, Uri informed me that not only had he bought me a ticket, but was able to get center orchestra, just a few rows back! He then took the extra effort to send me a pic of my ticket and even had it fed-we'd to me! Today, I got the ticket in the mail and I'm beyond psyched! And I just wanted to give Uri the recognition he deserves! Dude, YOU'RE the real MVP! Thanks again for restoring my faith in humanity! This is something I'll never forget, and I hope one day to pay it forward when the opportunity presents itself...NIN fans really are the fucking best!

OMG! He was one of my line buddies! He talked about how he was buying a ticket for a random guy from Reddit. He's super awesome! I was telling him that I was buying for strangers, but I made them send me the money first because I wasn't gonna get burned for that much. We are planning to meet up before the show with our little circle of line mates for a drink, if you would like to join us and meet

akervi
05-24-2018, 05:45 PM
I had fun, despite standing in 90ish degree weather and mostly being in the sun. The good merch was sold out by the time I got to the front, and I was kinda bummed out over that, but it was worth the experience. I made a few friends in the line and we shared beers, food, snacks, water, and talked about NIN and other stuff. Got to know them super well and added a few on Facebook. Showed up at 7:45 and still got my tickets, albeit not the best seats but still got 'em. I do wish they'd have done more to prevent the preline but what can ya do, venues gonna venue. Overall, I feel like if you went into this with the mindset to experience it as Trent wanted, then you most likely had a good time. I've waited in line for 10 hours for rare beer before, so this wasn't super bad in comparison. I do agree though, most folks bitching are the ones who couldn't wait in the lines, or the ones that got rained on. I kinda feel bad for those people lol

TheBang
05-24-2018, 06:37 PM
Posted this in the NY thread (and accidentally in the DC thread), but NIN should hit show 1,000 on this tour. Based on nintourhistory.com and the currently listed dates, it'll be 10/13 in NY, but I don't know how complete the history site is (plus they may add more dates between now and then).
The math on calculating it is really iffy because of the data on nintourhistory, especially early dates. For example, there are some 1988 Canada dates in there that NIN did not perform at. There are several 89 dates missing. There are some spurious dates on the Peter Murphy tour, and two dates on the Hate and Sin tours where NIN performed two shows on a single night, which are not reflected in the data. There's a date missing on Hate, a spurious date on Lollapalooza, and a spurious date on the 95 club tour. And then do you count stuff like radio shows (2006 radio shows, 2005 maida vale, 2000 CRC, etc.) and TV appearances (1999 MTV VMAs, 1989 Dance Party USA, 2014 Grammys), or the Bridge School Benefit or ReACT Now billed as "Trent Reznor"? Some of those are included in the data and some are not.

So, if you correct for all those issues, then they'll hit 1000 shows in the first half of the US tour, or just before the end of the US tour, if you exclude TV and radio appearances. But it's just impossible to say which show exactly is the 1000th.

Toadflax
05-24-2018, 06:43 PM
The math on calculating it is really iffy because of the data on nintourhistory, especially early dates.

Yeah, had a quick Twitter convo with nintourhistory about this. It would be amazing if we could pull together and figure it out exactly, but I'm sure you're right there's no way to be sure, even if we collectively agree on how to define what counts as a NIN show.

captainbeyond
05-24-2018, 07:20 PM

In New Orleans, you're paying for parking or you're fucked. They are extremely strict down there. I parked at a garage that was $12 for 12 hours. My gas for the trip was about $40. I indulged and bought an award-winning $15 bloody mary from the Ruby Slipper and ate at Felix's Oyster Bar for $18. Every penny was worth the opportunity of getting 5th row center tickets at an amazing venue to see my favorite live band.

Plus, we still had service fees at the box office. My $175 tickets were $194.50 and my $125 tickets were $141.50. It was slightly cheaper if you paid with cash. I'm not complaining though. It's all worth it.

TheBang
05-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Yeah, had a quick Twitter convo with nintourhistory about this. It would be amazing if we could pull together and figure it out exactly, but I'm sure you're right there's no way to be sure, even if we collectively agree on how to define what counts as a NIN show.
Of course, the best way to address it is Trent comes on stage every night of the tour and says, this MIGHT be our 1000th live show!

Toadflax
05-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Of course, the best way to address it is Trent comes on stage every night of the tour and says, this MIGHT be our 1000th live show!

Haha. They should just bill every show of the tour as their 1,000th with an asterisk to fine print that reads "depending on how you look at it."

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-24-2018, 07:49 PM
haha. They should just bill every show of the tour as their 1,000th with an asterisk to fine print that reads "depending on how you look at it."

arg?

Pbgut
05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Haha. They should just bill every show of the tour as their 1,000th with an asterisk to fine print that reads "depending on how you look at it."

They should play "Maybe Just One-Thousand" from Purest Feeling every night*.

*Ooookay that is one of the corniest, worst jokes I've ever made. Extremely cool that they're going to (probably) hit that milestone though; that is an incredible testament to NIN's talent though.

eversonpoe
05-24-2018, 10:55 PM
In New Orleans, you're paying for parking or you're fucked. They are extremely strict down there. I parked at a garage that was $12 for 12 hours. My gas for the trip was about $40. I indulged and bought an award-winning $15 bloody mary from the Ruby Slipper and ate at Felix's Oyster Bar for $18. Every penny was worth the opportunity of getting 5th row center tickets at an amazing venue to see my favorite live band.

Plus, we still had service fees at the box office. My $175 tickets were $194.50 and my $125 tickets were $141.50. It was slightly cheaper if you paid with cash. I'm not complaining though. It's all worth it.

that's pretty steep for fees, and surprises me because at the aragon, the fees totaled $5. so a $99.50 ticket + $5 fee for $104.50 total, which was way less than i was expecting because i've gotten so used to exorbitant fees.

sinspots
05-24-2018, 11:20 PM

That's great seats! In comparison, my husband flew down to NOLA from MN and the plane tix at the last minute were not cheap. In fact I am sort of embarrassed about it so I won't say how much. But the bus from the airport to there was $1.50 so that's a deal right?? Also, it's the first time we weren't together for a NIN thing, due to that cost. :( Anyway, we ended up with perfect seats, so I have zero bad to say about the process. I was actually worried that "best seats available" meant some rows back after whoever got access to the best seats available. Happy to say I was wrong! Honestly, if given the opportunity to do this same thing again for access to the best seats, we will 100% do it again. Never in a million years could we actually end up with these seats at the regular (or presale) online sales. Do you have any recommendations what else we should see while there? If so, please PM me!

trollmanen
05-25-2018, 07:06 PM
I'm really surprised that GA tickets for both nights in DC are still available, I figured it would be sold out by now.

Krazy
05-25-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm really surprised that GA tickets for both nights in DC are still available, I figured it would be sold out by now.

That first night in Phoenix is looking sad, too. Over half the venue is available- and it’s the first night of this “tour”.

Speaking of, I hope it’s different (set list wise and lighting wise) from the Vegas and summer festival shows. Doubt it though.

matt925
05-25-2018, 08:17 PM
San Francisco still available as well.

Krazy
05-25-2018, 09:14 PM
San Francisco still available as well.

Not surprising, that place is actually pretty big. ~7,000 people. Tool plays there often and is an easy ticket to get.

EDIT: and Thursday Chicago show is still available. Also looks like one will be able to get good seats at Red Rocks- still seats available and a shit ton are on StubHub.

sick among the pure
05-25-2018, 09:42 PM
I wonder how much of the "it's not sold out yet??" is because of price. Maybe I have a shit memory, but these prices seem much higher than the large-production tours even were.

Krazy
05-25-2018, 10:23 PM
. Maybe I have a shit memory, but these prices seem much higher than the large-production tours even were.

They are, but every band charges quite a bit these days. Was a bit surprised NIN was charging $100 for the Vegas dates but it is what it is now with musicians reliang on ticket sales and merchandise rather then album sales.

Id kill for another high production NIN arena tour (ok, maybe not “kill” but one gets the idea) but those days are most likely over. :(

k258
05-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Maybe it’s a demographics thing. Younger people go to concerts more than older people but can’t afford $100 tickets. I don’t know if the fan base is growing very much. I hope it is. Older fans (like me) just don’t go to concerts much (not like me.) And many of the ones that do, just want a nostalgia trip. It’s been interesting to watch NIN fan culture change through the years. THTF brought in a whole new generation of younger, less aggressive fans. At the same time, many older fans fell away. But there hasn’t been a big hit like that since. It’s a tough business. I’m not sure how much new NIN is getting heard by new people.

sweeterthan
05-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Meh I’m kinda over arena shows. They never sound as good as a small theater built for music performances. I’m thrilled to finally see nin at the Fox after missing them there when I was 16. My dad wouldn’t let me go. He was not into the fuck you like an animal guy at all.

Krazy
05-25-2018, 10:38 PM
Meh I’m kinda over arena shows. They never sound as good as a small theater built for music performances. I’m thrilled to finally see nin at the Fox after missing them there when I was 16. My dad wouldn’t let me go. He was not into the fuck you like an animal guy at all.

True, but these balllrooms and clubs sound like utter shit (worse than arenas) as well. To each their own.

caca
05-25-2018, 10:43 PM
That first night in Phoenix is looking sad, too. Over half the venue is available- and it’s the first night of this “tour”.

I noticed that, too. I’ve also noticed on FB that a lot of people still think you can only get tickets in person.

I already have pit tickets for both nights, but it would be a bummer for that first show to be light on attendance. Here’s hoping it picks up steam.

sick among the pure
05-25-2018, 11:50 PM
I don't care if it's an arena or a club nearly as much as I care about if there's a GA pit (up front, not lawn or GA seating). Even with getting older, I enjoy shows much more when I am able to move around a little more, and feel so confined with a seat. Sure, I am dead by the time Hurt comes on, but it's just such a different experience. I am SO READY for Vegas.

caca
05-25-2018, 11:52 PM
I don't care if it's an arena or a club nearly as much as I care about if there's a GA pit (up front, not lawn or GA seating). Even with getting older, I enjoy shows much more when I am able to move around a little more, and feel so confined with a seat. Sure, I am dead by the time Hurt comes on, but it's just such a different experience. I am SO READY for Vegas.

All of this.

ManBurning
05-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I have a friend who is the same age as me (35) and he says he's too old for the floor and needs a seat etc. I don't agree with him in the slightest. There is no such thing as "too old for the floor" as I've seen people in their 60s rocking out down on the floor. It's a mindset. If you convince yourself you are "too old" you will think that. It's floor or bust for me. I can't stand being stuck confined to a 2 foot by 2 foot seat. It doesn't feel like a rock show to me. I may as well be at home watching a live dvd or something.

Being on the floor is part of the experience.

I was at a festival a couple years ago, and was in the pit for the offspring, people were going apeshit for some reason over the offspring, punching, kicking hurling themselves around, I walked out of that pit so beat up, my girlfriends skirt was torn in half, had to walk back to the hotel in her underwear. After that show I said "I think I'm too old for this shit" and then the next show I went to, 2 weeks after I got seats. So I was sitting there in my seats bored silly. I was like "this sucks. People actually like this?" I found myself missing the adrenaline rush of being in the pit. I looked back at the festival I went to 2 weeks prior and I was like "you know, getting beat up is kind of part of the experience." And from that point on, I never got seats again. Unless I was forced to (I'm looking at you a perfect circle...)

theruiner
05-26-2018, 12:07 AM
I was seriously bummed out to see that. Ugh. I hope it picks up. It was depressing seeing all those empty seats. But there's still plenty of time. Either way we're in for a great show, so there's that. But still.

sick among the pure
05-26-2018, 12:41 AM
I feel like if I’m not on the floor giving back just as much energy to the band as they’re putting out, I’m not doing my part.

sonic_discord
05-26-2018, 01:39 AM
I try to get floor tickets for every concert I go to and if I'm on the floor, I try to get as close as comfortably possible. Sometimes if I'm with a group of friends that I know don't want to get too close, I defer to their comfort level as far as proximity to the stage is concerned. One thing about concerts that has pissed me off lately is this: if you're in the seats and people in front of you stand up, you can't see very well while still seated, so you stand up too. That's just how that goes, but in the past year, I've been around some people who were absolute fucking assholes about this. And hey, if you're handicapped or something, that's different and I get it, but if that's not the case, then you should know what you fucking signed up for. Also, most bands appreciate playing to a crowd that's on their feet and seems into it, not sitting on their asses like they're watching a movie. Last summer, my parents (who are in their 60s), my wife, and I saw Tom Petty and we had seats in the lower level and everyone in front of us stood up when the show started, so we of course followed suit. Unfortunately for my mom (and unbeknownst to me until after the show had ended), some old (mid-50s, certainly not older than my parents) fat asshole poked my mom in the back and kicked her chair several times while making making rude comments to her. Her level of discomfort because of this piece of shit nearly ruined the entire show for her. This was a special show too because she's the reason I'm a Tom Petty fan (I grew up listening to my parents play his CDs) and it turned out to be the last time we would ever see him.

WorzelG
05-26-2018, 01:53 AM
I’ve seen a lot of people say they should stick to the old presale way of making tickets non transferable. However when I saw them in London in 2014 we had amazing seats but there were loads empty around me. Either a lot of people suddenly couldn’t make it or touts were buying those tickets too and then found they couldn’t resell them. Do touts learn? I don’t know, but maybe that was a factor in the physical world thing.

another thing about the tour not selling out immediately - I think one big problem in music today is the perception of success and the way everything has to sell out instantly or it’s a total flop, particularly in the pop world but that attitude filters through everywhere (like the guy when HM was released who started a whole thread about being flabbergasted that NIN aren’t as currently successful as Ariane Grande and people on reality tv). The bitchiness between pop fandoms is insane and admittedly entertaining though

witte
05-26-2018, 02:01 AM
Mentioning people >50 old makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable ;)
—It’s all between your ears—

sonic_discord
05-26-2018, 02:09 AM
Mentioning people >50 old makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable ;)
—It’s all between your ears—

That's very true and it wasn't my intention to make anyone feel uncomfortable (sorry!). Like I said above, my parents are 60 and 64 and they're very cool people who seem much younger. I was also at an outdoor Weezer concert last summer where my wife and I had another uncomfortable interaction with a younger (early 30s) woman behind us. The age factor isn't the problem here. Sometimes I think there should be a section for people who want to sit down while watching the show, kind of like how restaurants used to have smoking sections.

sick among the pure
05-26-2018, 02:22 AM
I’ve seen a lot of people say they should stick to the old presale way of making tickets non transferable. However when I saw them in London in 2014 we had amazing seats but there were loads empty around me. Either a lot of people suddenly couldn’t make it or touts were buying those tickets too and then found they couldn’t resell them.

Ticket printed with name so you can't re-sell, but allow for refund and the venue puts them back up online (maybe for a small % re-listing fee). If a show sells out, you can enter your e-mail/phone number to get a message as soon as a ticket is refunded and available.

sonic_discord
05-26-2018, 02:26 AM
Ticket printed with name so you can't re-sell, but allow for refund and the venue puts them back up online (maybe for a small % re-listing fee). If a show sells out, you can enter your e-mail/phone number to get a message as soon as a ticket is refunded and available.

That seriously sounds like the best possible way to handle it.

WorzelG
05-26-2018, 02:27 AM

Yeah there are probably ways around this, the total non negotiable aspect always sent me into a bit of a panic as when you have kids there are so many things that could prevent you going (there are anyway) because if you’re the named person you’d let everyone in the group down not just yourself

witte
05-26-2018, 03:05 AM

Yeah, a big 3 days festival nearby (65000/day) already uses this method for years now. You can’t sell your ticket to another one. Everything needs to be done via that festival. You get your money back and people queuing digitally can buy that ticket on name again. Tickets are on name and legitimation is needed when you enter. Works perfect.

kaydraven
05-26-2018, 07:20 AM
On the price thing I do think these tickets are pretty expensive. I was actually shocked since the wave goodbye tour was relatively cheap. I actually considered not going because of price. When compared to the other shows I've been to this will be the second most expensive.

On seating honestly while I like being in GA getting seats is less of a headache. I'm never near the stage yet I always have to fight to keep my spot. And it's annoying just waiting around hoping to get a good view of the stage. Plus my girlfriend who often comes with can't really stand very long at shows. I totally agree with the seats. It's pretty much expected people are gonna stand which I'm fine with.

But some ass tried to make me feel bad about when I saw the cure. She poked me in the shoulder and asked if I was gonna sit even though everyone else was standing. And the worst crowd was when I saw Hall and Oates. It was a mainly older but a good amount of people were standing. Yet people were still bitching at others to sit down. Dude if they want to stand up and dance, let them. It's a concert. It's to be expected.

theruiner
05-26-2018, 02:49 PM
One thing about concerts that has pissed me off lately is this: if you're in the seats and people in front of you stand up, you can't see very well while still seated, so you stand up too.
I will never understand people who don't stand at rock shows (people with disabilities/physical issues aside).

Nellyrific
05-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Sitting down at a show is so not fun for me. I’ve had people give me problems too, when clearly everyone is standing. Only once can I recall sitting at a NIN show and it was in 2007 in Paris. EVERYONE in the balcony was sitting. I couldn’t believe it.

Of course it’s different if you are physically incapable.

Kyle
05-26-2018, 03:01 PM
One show I was in the nosebleed section (fragility tour - my second show on the tour but the first seats weren't exactly great but not nosebleed). Girls next to me were sitting down the whole show until closer started then they got up and cheered and screamed

Deacon Blackfire
05-26-2018, 03:30 PM
True, but these balllrooms and clubs sound like utter shit (worse than arenas) as well. To each their own.

Obviously one's mileage may vary as far as this point goes - I have specifically had the exact opposite experience/impression, with the club shows that I've been to sounding noticeably better than the arenas. Besides the many talented tapers our community is lucky to have, there's a reason why the Wave Goodbye bootlegs have such amazing sound quality - the sound popped in those venues and carried in a way that it just doesn't in the larger venues. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice theatrical arena production and have loved the shows of that kind I've attended, but if you're not in the GA pit or at least reasonably close, the sound tends to lose punch and get watered down filling the cavernous empty space of the venue.

Of course there are definitely clubs that have shitty infrastructure and speakers which squander their advantages, but in my book, clubs are where it's at. Considering the expenses involved in an arena tour - and the fact that NIN's last arena tours didn't exactly seem to be hugely profitable - I'm not sure when (or if) we'll see the band in those kind of venues again.

kaydraven
05-26-2018, 07:03 PM
I will never understand people who don't stand at rock shows (people with disabilities/physical issues aside).

Rigjt?! I get if you can't or if you have to sit sometimes - my mom does this due to her arthritis, but how can you just sit there? I can never sit still at a show. Even the few times I was sitting, I was still dancing and eventually I gave up and stood the whole time. Concerts are the only time I'll dance!

implanted_microchip
05-26-2018, 07:23 PM
I will never forget screaming my lungs out with everyone around me during Burn in Tampa in 2014 and looking in front of me and seeing a lady sitting down looking at facebook on her phone, in that moment I could feel a part of my brain permanently die. Seated-only shows for a band like NIN would only make sense in the context of a Still-style tour IMO and the lack of pit sections on that Soundgarden tour was probably the worst aspect of it, even as visual-heavy and cinematic as that show was.

Even if you're not going to be moving around a lot, having a drunk idiot knocking around and into you and making your knees hit against the plastic seats in front of you that you're not allowed to move away from can make an entire show that would be amazing absolutely horrible. I remember a completely wasted woman in her late 40s dancing around to Sanctified in West Palm that year right next to me who fell over maybe 3 times during that one song, she thankfully disappeared for the rest of it not long after, but the fact that I almost had that going on next to me for the entire set was just horrible. Arenas and amphitheatres and seats in general really bring out the "it's our night off, let's party!" crowd and I hate it so, so much. If you have physical restrictions or something I totally get the need for seats/accomodations but otherwise I cannot imagine not wanting the freedom of movement and ability to get away from crazier/ruder/annoying/shoving people that GA provides.

loopcloses
05-26-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm not especially worried about ticket sales because the tour is still quite a way off but the price point is a legit talking point. If I hadn't covered my friend's ticket I'd be going alone because nobody wants to spend over a hundred dollars for anything short of their very FAVORITE band. And nobody in my group would probably be interested in paying 50+ for assigned seats at any show. You're not really pulling in casual fans unless they're rich when tickets are that high. There's a very small number of bands I'd pay that for, and most of them are inactive.

Krazy
05-26-2018, 08:25 PM
I’ll (probably) never going back to LA for a show. Saw A Perfect Cirlcle last year at Hollywood Bowl and after they came on we stood up, was promptly told by a few people to sit down (entire section was sitting as we turned around).

Fuck. That. Shit.

Im going to the Friday show in Phoenix. I think I’ll politely tell people “absolutely not” if I get asked to sit down. I know we’re getting older and NIN and APC aren’t exactly Slayer, but to sit through these shows is rediculous.

Lerxto
05-27-2018, 12:43 AM
I'm all for standing up at shows, but if you're in the seated section when there's a separated standing/ground area you really should sit down.
There are people who intentionally chose a seated option because they have reason they cannot stand throughout the show. And when people around them stand up, they should and they're entitled to tell other people around them to sit down.

streetman
05-27-2018, 12:45 AM
I second this.
https://old.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/8mfhrw/i_hope_trentnin_do_another_kimmel_appearance/

I really do hope Trent and NIN make another late night show appearance in support of the new album/tour. It's great to have the chance to see them perform on TV. The Kimmel performance was very cool.

elevenism
05-27-2018, 03:20 AM
I'm all for standing up at shows, but if you're in the seated section when there's a separated standing/ground area you really should sit down.
There are people who intentionally chose a seated option because they have reason they cannot stand throughout the show. And when people around them stand up, they should and they're entitled to tell other people around them to sit down.
Amen. I can't stand for that long ever since I broke my back. My 60 year old mother who has a plate and screws in her neck DAMN sure can't stand for very long and she is going to be at Red rocks.

But I do feel where you guys are coming from.

kaydraven
05-27-2018, 09:13 AM
That's true but some people have no choice but to choose seats because GA is sold out regardless of age. I really think it depends on show honestly. Most seated shows I've been to everyone around me has been standing. There was only one show where mostly everyone sat down and I fucking hated it, but I didn't stand up the whole time since so many people were sitting. I don't think it'll be an issue at NiN shows.

Deacon Blackfire
05-27-2018, 01:09 PM
I second this.
https://old.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/8mfhrw/i_hope_trentnin_do_another_kimmel_appearance/

I really do hope Trent and NIN make another late night show appearance in support of the new album/tour. It's great to have the chance to see them perform on TV. The Kimmel performance was very cool.

If that happens, I hope their choice of song to perform is better than last time. Various Methods of Escape made no sense - playing a pretty dull, straightforward song that was unlikely to leave much of an impression on non-fans seemed like kind of a waste of that platform. I mean they didn't need to play a single but Copy Of A or even Came Back Haunted would have been better choices. It's not that I hate the song or anything, it's just the last song I'd pick to defend Hesitation Marks against its reputation for being a bit of a snoozer.

I know VMOE gets a good amount of love so maybe I'm alone on that.

Nellyrific
05-27-2018, 01:20 PM
^^ I love that song but I hear you. This woman I was forced to be around for that taping was complaining about not hearing her favorites and I wanted to kick her in the face because she just got a free mini-show and she was bitching.

thefragile_jake
05-27-2018, 02:07 PM
I know VMOE gets a good amount of love so maybe I'm alone on that.

Yeah, I know for me personally that's easily one of my favorite tracks off Hesitation Marks.

Pbgut
05-27-2018, 02:12 PM
This is maybe an odd question, but I was wondering: has anyone ever waited out after a show to get an autograph or meet Trent (or Atticus)? I don't know if NYC would be the best area to do this in, and it still feels maybe intrusive, anyway but I was kind of curious if anyone here has ever done this or had success with it?

Ruined
05-27-2018, 03:56 PM
This is maybe an odd question, but I was wondering: has anyone ever waited out after a show to get an autograph or meet Trent (or Atticus)? I don't know if NYC would be the best area to do this in, and it still feels maybe intrusive, anyway but I was kind of curious if anyone here has ever done this or had success with it?
I managed to do it, once, around 2005 in Oakland. There was a small group of us waiting near the exit of the Oakland Coliseum nearest the tour buses. As they trickeled out, we met Allesandro Cortini. He was really nice. The funny thing is that we were at the end of the line of people and when Trent walked by, everyone was awe struck and were just letting him walk on by. It was only at the last second that I blurted out, "Hey Trent, do you mind if we get your autograph." He said, sure, just a second (there were old friends meeting him so he took the time to hug them and chat before returning). Trent then went down the line, shook each of our hands and was just so gracious. It's always funny for someone famous to introduce themselves, but, he did politely shame my hand and say, "Hi, I'm Trent." He then asked if we enjoyed the show and was just really nice to each of us. One woman just wanted to give him a book of poetry, which he took. Obviously, I admire his work; but, the way he conducted himself just made me admire him that much more. One of the best memories I've had. I still laugh thinking that if I hadn't called out to him, he might have just went to his bus and we never would have met him. :D Good luck if you try meeting him after the show!

Here are a couple of photos from that night:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/mvalencia_/NIN%20meeting%202%202017_07_02%2018_00_17%20UTC_zp s1wmpbvze.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/mvalencia_/media/NIN%20meeting%202%202017_07_02%2018_00_17%20UTC_zp s1wmpbvze.jpg.html)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/mvalencia_/Ashley%20and%20Allesandro%20NIN%202017_07_02%2018_ 00_17%20UTC_zpshajs9bnf.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/mvalencia_/media/Ashley%20and%20Allesandro%20NIN%202017_07_02%2018_ 00_17%20UTC_zpshajs9bnf.jpg.html)

kaydraven
05-27-2018, 04:11 PM
That's so cool! I always want to stay behind to see if I can catch bands but I never know where to go and I usually have to leave after the show anyway.

Pbgut
05-27-2018, 04:36 PM
That's awesome. I guess I'll consider doing it, even in NYC, if Trent did not seem bothered by it in the past, because who knows when they'll next have a release to tour out with again.

sick among the pure
05-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I've never had the courage to try to find where they leave the venue to go to the busses, always figured "they just want to leave". It's really awesome to hear how nice he was meeting you out back like that. Maybe someday, I'd love to just shake his hand and say thanks.

somewhat_
05-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Rehearsal videos would be cool. They must be rehearsing by now, right? How about the perfect drug? I don’t really think the first time I hear that live I would want it to be from rehearsals (although all the LITS rehearsal vids were excellent), but imagine a little snippet of Ilan playing the drums on that one. This place would go nuts!

ManBurning
05-27-2018, 10:41 PM
I met Trent and the band during one of the spiral meet and greets in 2005, so I guess that doesn't fully count, lol. But that's probably one of the reasons why I've never felt compelled to hang around after looking for him, lol.

I did however see Robin trying to make his way through the crowd at the aftershock festival last October. I forget what band was playing at the time, but him and someone else I didn't recognize were trying to make their way somewhere, it looked like they were kinda of in a rush, so I didn't want to bother him. In hindsight, I probably should have. But part of me is kinda worried when you approach someone famous that they will just brush you off... flake from Rammstein did that to me. The day after their show in Quebec city, I was making my way to the train station to catch a train back to Montreal and I spotted him. I told him they had a great show last night and asked for a photo, but he said no and kept walking.

Other than that, I've found Dave grohl out and about (he was really cool. Stopped for autographs and photos), john5 and twiggy. Twiggy said no photos as well. I got one with john5 thought. So it seems to be kind of hit or miss. Some are cool with it, but some are jerks. That's why I'm always kinda skeptical when wanting to approach a musician out and about. It sucks getting rejected by one of your "heroes"

Pbgut
05-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Other than that, I've found Dave grohl out and about (he was really cool. Stopped for autographs and photos), john5 and twiggy. Twiggy said no photos as well. I got one with john5 thought. So it seems to be kind of hit or miss. Some are cool with it, but some are jerks. That's why I'm always kinda skeptical when wanting to approach a musician out and about. It sucks getting rejected by one of your "heroes"

This is my hesitation. If I do it, I have to prep myself for the very non-personal rejection of someone I've been listening to since I was 9 or 10, because they're tired after a show.

I have not one but two friends who met him due to being employed at Apple and at the precursor to Beats, known as MOG. So jealous. Apparently Trent told one friend or maybe the whole staff at MOG about "the importance of hate," or possibly "hate is important," referring to the then-current debate about having a dislike button on Facebook, which I thought was such a Trent way of putting it. And he said at the Apple cafeteria to my other friend and another employee, something along the lines of, "I wanted to be a rock star, and yet here we are," jokingly.

sick among the pure
05-28-2018, 12:32 AM
I met Trent and the band during one of the spiral meet and greets in 2005

The only shows I was able to go to when The Spiral was around, he didn't do meet & greets or soundchecks. Still worth the money, but I am jealous of my friends who got to meet the band.

henryeatscereal
05-28-2018, 01:33 PM
They just confirmed NIN in Mexico City for the Festival Corona Capital, next November (minute 2:16), so i guess i'll get to watch them at the "Cold Black and infinite tour" after all, oh joy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5viFw39vy4

elevenism
05-28-2018, 02:29 PM
They just confirmed NIN in Mexico City for the Festival Corona Capital, next November (minute 2:16), so i guess i'll get to watch them at the "Cold Black and infinite tour" after all, oh joy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5viFw39vy4 hell yes! Plus chemical bros and NEW ORDER?! Not bad!

ManBurning
05-28-2018, 02:32 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5viFw39vy4

Well, now everyone can stop bitching that it's not a "North Ameican" tour. Because now it is, lol.

But Canada is still missing. I know we don't have any festivals here in November (brrrr! Would be too cold) but hopefully we get some shows thrown in there in November.
With the news of this festival mid-November, that's highly unlikely now actually. The only chance now is right after Chicago (oct 27th) and before this festival starts, So they have 2 weeks to squeeze a mini cross-Canada tour in from Toronto to Vancouver and then head down to Mexico. Could happen, but i'm not holding my breath, that's starting to get to be way too packed of a tour schedule.

suprefan
05-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Poster

https://preview.ibb.co/dcRWJJ/Screen_Shot_2018_05_28_at_12_42_29_PM.png (https://ibb.co/eQT0Cd)

SM Rollinger
05-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Trent needs to bring back CBH this tour!

implanted_microchip
05-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Trent needs to bring back CBH this tour!
I’m okay without it and am really happy that Copy of A is the song that’s been kept around from that album.