PDA

View Full Version : Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
The second of Black Mirror was on tonight (in the UK) and was fantastic, easily matching last weeks great episode. So while I'm not sure it is running for non-UKers.. I'm sure there are ways of finding a viewing some of the best TV I've seen for some time. Produced by writer/critic/media columnist Charlie Brooker who did Dead Set and co-wrote Nathan Barley (both of which again are great)

Its is a three part series, each part taking a bleak view of our relationship with technology and the media, almost a black comedy in the premise but played straight.

Well worth seeking out. Last part is next sunday too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTyZoupc1w&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midBr3d3MUg&feature=relmfu

icklekitty
12-12-2011, 03:01 AM
This is DEFINITELY a series worth watching. Love it, and totes a Charlie Brooker fangirl.

slave2thewage
12-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I actually said "WHAT THE FUCK. OH MY GOD" out loud at the end of Abi's audition last night.

scorpiusdiamond
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
The production in the latest episode was second to none. I'm a massive geek for that dystopian stuff, and the way it brought it almost into a modern reality was very creepy. Depressing as fuck though.

konstantin
12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
damn, forgot to look for it this morning... loved the first one.

slave2thewage
12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Dystopian Britain: Brought to you by Apple and Simon Cowell.

Alex of scotland
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Very Autobiographical Mr Brooker.

konstantin
12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Ugh. Awesome production but the plot? Felt like I needed to be British or at least be familiar with talent shows, neither of which I happen to be... The eye candy was still off the charts though.

isak
12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
These seem to be getting increasingly far fetched, there were a lot of cool ideas in the last episode but not much of it was explained properly, we didn't even find out what exactly those strange camps were, or how they came to be in them.

scorpiusdiamond
12-13-2011, 06:59 AM
These seem to be getting increasingly far fetched, there were a lot of cool ideas in the last episode but not much of it was explained properly, we didn't even find out what exactly those strange camps were, or how they came to be in them.

In interviews, Charlie Brooker said that scripts were much longer, explaining everything. They were cut down by the higher powers.

konstantin
12-13-2011, 07:14 AM
I don't have a problem with things being left unexplained (camps producing power maybe?), but that plot just kept draaaaaaaaaging. I saw no point in the second ep being a whole hour instead of 45 min like the last one. Just seemed like the showing off part took over the ideas. Anyway, looking forward to the final ep!

Vertigo
12-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Seems pretty obvious the cycles provide kinetic energy. My guess, it's a human power station with mandatory participation from a certain age (probably immediately after school or uni, reflecting the shit-upon nature of early careers in real life); you buy your way out with a certain number of Merits, earned by cycling. Treadmills would have been a more obvious metaphore, but the more static nature of a cycle fits well with the commentary on entertainment culture.

Anyway, I thought the episode/mini-film/whatever was amazing (missed the first one, but hoping to see it tonight). A more subtle version of Orwell's 1984, transposed to current culture. I loved that despite the futuristic portrayal, every piece of tech, culture and sociology is in the world today. It's entirely plausible.

isak
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
It didn't seem like anyone was intent on leaving the camp unless they had some kind of talent within entertaining, and by the way no one seemed bothered by it either? In fact they fully acknowledged they were slaves in a camp, and almost enjoyed it? The only slight contempt anyone had shown for it, was when the girl at the beginning made the joke "the most natural thing is probably grown from a petri dish". I don't know, taken at face value I really felt like it would be necessary to have a more elaborate view of society and the government as a whole to make it more believable as some kind of dystopian future. I did enjoy how the talent show was depicted as cruel and ruthless mind, I watched this season of X factor at the beginning once, and they just dragged really pitiable social recluses on stage one by one while people hissed and booed as they made fools of themselves, god knows how anyone enjoys that show, it's disgusting.

Gray Grimez
12-15-2011, 03:25 AM
How is that no different to the world we live in today? That's kinda the WHOLE POINT of this episod we are brought up accept authority, and the vast majority of society do precisely this without questioning. In the episode these ideas have just reached their logical conclusion, its a haunting echo of THX 1138 and literally the best bit of telly i've seen in years.

isak
12-15-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the ending was lifted from one of Brooker's favourite films that he's talked about before, something about a news anchor who threatens suicide live on TV and then gets a better slot due to the ratings it gets. Also the rant at the end was mostly unintelligible, and the parts I did hear just sounded like Brooker writing himself into the script, half the things 'Bing' said, I could just hear Charlie Brookers voice. There was nothing profound or thought provoking about any of the script, at it's 'deepest' it was bing shouting IT'S ALL JUST STUFF AND IF YOU JUST LIKE STUFF THEN MAYBE IT'S BAD HERP DERP. Despite all this, compared to everything else I've seen on TV it's been significantly better, and if it makes average people who'd tune in a little more aware of their unhealthy obsessions with talent shows and pointless technology then I guess that's a good thing, I just can't stand people calling it a masterpiece and so forth in reviews, when this kind of thing has been done before with a lot more success. IMO it's good, but really flawed.

Gray Grimez
12-15-2011, 05:59 AM
The film you're referring to is network, and yes there are similarities, but the context is different. In network you are dealing with someone from within the media world trying to make a difference, within black mirror you're talking about one of the "plebs" or an average lowest common denominator reaching out and trying to make a difference. And if you're going to talk about instances where its been done better please provide examples.

isak
12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe, the idea that people enjoy living their life vicariously through an avatar, making exploitation easy, is something that is individual to Black Mirror, but trying to find major things that Black Mirror made me think or question that any other kind of fiction based on a dystopian future hasn't done before is quite difficult. From 1984, Brave New World, and for film you even mentioned THX 1138! There's plenty out there, I'm not saying this is terrible, nor did it have nothing to offer at all, but 'masterpiece' status seems a little exaggerated. Maybe I'm being a bit too cynical, as I'll even admit it's certainly better than anything else I've had to watch of TV recently, definitely hoping the next one impresses me more.

liquidcalm
12-16-2011, 02:33 AM
While I really loved both episodes, I think I preferred the first due to its grounding in reality. The second, while I enjoyed the premise and show, wasn't quite as 'this could easily happen' more 'this might happen'.

As for not explaining the background, it was pretty short, there was hardly much need to sit down and explain how things got that way, it seemed happy enough to get on with the plot, which is the important part anyway. I quite like things that don't feel the need to explain everything, its one of TV/movies/games strengths as a medium. The clues are there, and you can come to your own conclusions, or see them as self contained worlds

Gray Grimez
12-16-2011, 04:13 AM
I guess my view on reality must be a bit different to your guys, cus to me the second episode was much closer in a way to reality than first. the first just felt like a brooker rant shoe-horned into the plot. The second we're really not that far away from already imo.

sukey
12-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't really feel like you needed to know anything about the camps or how the people got there in order to understand the point Brooker was trying to make?
Love love loved the last episode. Think it should be compulsory TV.

slave2thewage
12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I couldn't really get into the last episode at all.

JessicaSarahS
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
The first one was fucking amazing! Haven't watched a television program with that level of production quality before. The second one was decent but it was a little slow and not as captivating as the first episode. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Vertigo
12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I couldn't really get into the last episode at all.

I thought it was interesting and thought-provoking, like the other two, but rather difficult to watch due to the loathsome nature of the main character (I'm all for an antihero, but taken too far, you're Family Guy). Second episode was by far the best, in my opinion.

scorpiusdiamond
12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Wow, that third one was depressing, god damn. I like how the writer wrote Peep Show as well, (very) slightly similar?

konstantin
12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
liked the 3rd episode much more than the 2nd. what a trainwreck of a plot!

i think the 3rd episode actually should have been shown first, and the 1st episode last. to end the whole thing on a lighter note. the 1st episode just set the wrong tone for the series and the 2nd one just felt weird after the satire of the 1st.

liquidcalm
12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Loved the end. I didn't think the character was completely loathsome, he wasn't perfect by any means, but there was always at least some reasoning behind his dickish-ness, always stemming from his obsession with going over every tiny detail again and again.

Good series, will be getting the DVD for sure.

butters
02-22-2012, 12:43 AM
I finally had a chance to see this series. Wow. Awesome. Thank you all for discussing this here or I otherwise may have missed it.

I did enjoy the third one, but like others, not as much as the first two. The thing it seemed to be missing was the satire of today's society in a broad sense, feeling much more focused and narrow. Yes, his obsession aided by technology basically lowered the quality of his life rather than enhancing it, but... well... you could argue that he was better off with the results and knowing what he knew because of the technology. This kind of makes it different than the other episodes.

Also, someone said the first one ended happily.... did it? I certainly didn't feel that way.

Spot on satire all around. Excellent work.

DigitalChaos
12-24-2014, 12:56 AM
I started watching this on a whim while browsing through TV series options a few days ago. This show is amazing so far. I was sad that there are only 3 episodes per season.

episode 1 of season 1 had a lot of echos back to the whole Sony/TheInterview/NorthKorea drama that unfolded recently.

Also, I just realized that Brooker is the guy who made Dead Set, which was a decent show... for a zombie show any way (I love zombie shit).

miss k bee
12-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Black Mirror - White Christmas was on this week. A one off with Jon Hamm.

elevenism
10-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Black Mirror has been commissioned to be a "Netflix Original!"
They have ordered 12 episodes, and are scheduled to start shooting in the next few months!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/25/black-mirror-season-3-confirmed-for-netflix

onthewall2983
10-07-2016, 10:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDiYGjp5iFg

Substance242
10-16-2016, 04:50 AM
Wow. Like not the usual "wow", but WOW. :-) Watched S01E01 yesterday and (accidentally) S01E03 today and it will be hard to not immediately watch another one. But this deserves some time to sink in, to let mind work on it in the background for a while.

Space Suicide
10-16-2016, 10:14 AM
My co-worker told me about this show. I'll definitely have to check it out!

Jinsai
10-16-2016, 12:57 PM
yeah, this is easily one of my favorite tv shows ever. Beyond excited for the next season

elevenism
10-16-2016, 01:55 PM
My co-worker told me about this show. I'll definitely have to check it out!
Oh man, i think you will love it.
I would describe it as basically a contemporary tech-centric Twilight Zone.
It's also wildly smart and imaginative, superbly well written, directed and acted, and can be pretty fucking scary, especially since a lot of the stories hit SO close to home.

neorev
10-16-2016, 02:34 PM
I literally just started watching this show this week. After watching the first 3 episodes, I stopped. I knew my girl would dig it. So this weekend I started it over with her and we watched it all. We both love it!

Jinsai
10-22-2016, 02:25 AM
I'm on episode two of the new season, and I'm liking it, but it's hard not to hold it up to the standard that is the BBC run. I'm going to keep trying not to do that...

xmd 5a
10-22-2016, 08:03 AM
San Junipero and Shut Up and Dance are brilliant. Possibly my favourite episodes of the entire series.

elevenism
10-22-2016, 08:38 AM
I thought the first episode of the new run was a STUNNING commentary on social media.

Substance242
10-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Watched S01E02 yesterday and still thinking about that (clue: "singing contest"), impressive.

And I have whole seasons 2 and 3 in store, you jealous? :-)

sentient
10-24-2016, 11:51 AM
This show is just better and better with successive seasons and episodes. Season 3 opener was superb! I'm just now into the 2nd episode. Nothing disappoints!

Vertigo
10-25-2016, 05:22 AM
Wait til you get to San Junipero...

Bring tissues.

Jinsai
10-25-2016, 09:02 AM
It's really weird, but I haven't been able to get myself to watch episode 4 yet... it's not from lack of interest, it's just that Shut Up and Dance was so fucking insane that I felt like I needed a break. That's the darkest shit ever.

sentient
10-25-2016, 11:00 AM
It's really weird, but I haven't been able to get myself to watch episode 4 yet... it's not from lack of interest, it's just that Shut Up and Dance was so fucking insane that I felt like I needed a break. That's the darkest shit ever.
I have to agree with this. I tried to follow up with Episode 4 last night after Shut Up and Dance and it just fell flat. I didn't finish it.

theruiner
10-25-2016, 11:14 AM
I wasn’t that crazy about the first two seasons, save a couple of episodes that I really enjoyed. I wasn’t going to even bother with s3 but my sister has been absolutely raving about how great it is so I decided to give it a shot. Only watched episode one so far but I really, really enjoyed it. I hope the rest of the season is just as good.

As expected, it was super dark. I thought about watching one the day after I watched that first one but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I think I need to space these episodes a few days apart because it’s just too much emotionally without a break.

neorev
10-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Episode 6 was like its own movie. I think some of these could have been extended to 90 minutes and been their own movies. Perhaps the future of Black Mirror could be a film series along with seasons with the usual 45-60 min episodes. Kinda like Netflix & Black Mirror Presents or something. That video game testing episode could have been extended and been a great movie.

bobbie solo
10-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Episode 6 was like its own movie. I think some of these could have been extended to 90 minutes and been their own movies. Perhaps the future of Black Mirror could be a film series along with seasons with the usual 45-60 min episodes. Kinda like Netflix & Black Mirror Presents or something. That video game testing episode could have been extended and been a great movie.

thats what certain episodes of the first two seasons felt like.

Vertigo
10-26-2016, 10:37 AM
That last episode was 90 minutes. My opinion, the variable episode length was one of the key reasons why season 3 was so damn good. Nothing felt stretched or stuffed, each one stands alone perfectly.

I'd say that it resulted in what's essentially a collection of films, except the format maybe gives more freedom than cinema, as they don't have to adhere to a ~90-minute minimum.

liquidcalm
10-29-2016, 04:43 AM
I've made it through 4 episodes so far. I think season 3 has been the best one so far. The only episode that fell a little flat, but only in comparison to the others, was the second one. Episodes 3 and 4 though.. wow..
I can't find the link, but there was an interview with Charlie Brooker (look up his Weekly Wipe, Games Wipe and year in reviews..) where he talked about how the reason they are not movies is there is too much red tape and people's expectations involved. Channel 4 and Netflix pretty much let them do what they want from 40 - 90 minutes, with less involvement from multiple parties, and really that is why it shines. Let it be what it is!

Substance242
10-31-2016, 04:22 AM
Watched the "white Christmas" special on Saturday, shit, this thing is intense and overdose should be avoided. :-) And I have whole season 3 in store, yay!

imail724
10-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Anybody else feel like the second episode of the new season was the worst episode of the series? I liked the ending a lot, but the hour leading up to it was pretty weak. And the main character had to be one of the most irritating characters in television history. I didn't love the first episode either to be honest. I hear 3 is great though.

theruiner
10-31-2016, 09:02 AM
I don't get all the hate for episode 2. I watched it on Saturday and thought it was awesome. Even better than episode one, which I really enjoyed. It did, however, put me in a terrible mood afterward for a little while. Like, after I was done I genuinely needed a hug. It affected me really, really badly. Which is a testament to the show, but damn. I'm almost dreading watching the next one. I hear three and four are brutal.

joplinpicasso
10-31-2016, 10:16 AM
I don't get all the hate for episode 2. I watched it on Saturday and thought it was awesome. Even better than episode one, which I really enjoyed. It did, however, put me in a terrible mood afterward for a little while. Like, after I was done I genuinely needed a hug. It affected me really, really badly. Which is a testament to the show, but damn. I'm almost dreading watching the next one. I hear three and four are brutal.

If one wants to say "Playtest" is the least successful of this season, sure. However, I also don't get the hate. I thought it explored some interesting space about Gen Y/Millennial men and the need to face reality, albeit through a subversion/usage of horror/VR tropes.

Dream
10-31-2016, 11:01 AM
I preferred Playtest over the first episode.

Archive_Reports
11-04-2016, 10:46 AM
S03.E03 was genuinely amazing and the music they chose to close out the episode was perfect.

theruiner
11-04-2016, 07:51 PM
S03.E03 was genuinely amazing and the music they chose to close out the episode was perfect.Oh my god, the last 30 seconds of that episode was absolutely gut-wrenching.

Harry Seaward
11-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Anybody else feel like the second episode of the new season was the worst episode of the series?

D=

Playtest was awesome! And the majority of what made it awesome other than the plot itself was the acting of the main character. I thought he was really great and did an awesome job in the role.

Black Mirror season 3 ranked, imo:

1. Shut Up and Dance
2. Playtest
3. San Junipero
4. Hated in the Nation
5. Nosedive
6. Men Against Fire

imail724
11-06-2016, 07:18 AM
D=

Playtest was awesome! And the majority of what made it awesome other than the plot itself was the acting of the main character. I thought he was really great and did an awesome job in the role. I thought the actor came across as trying way to hard to be "real" and that just made him seem so much more fake IMO

millionmilesaway
11-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Just watched Men Against Fire and was slightly dissapointed with the ending but I would watch the shit out of it if it were it's own show. Definately wish the episodes were longer sometimes

elevenism
11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
I thought Playtest was fucking incredible! It actually, really scared me and i think it would have made a great full length horror movie.

The only one that didn't impress me was the final one, Hated in the Nation.

theruiner
11-06-2016, 08:04 PM
San Junipero. Jesus Christ.

Substance242
11-07-2016, 04:58 AM
...I have only one episode to watch left, the final one. :-(

sentient
11-07-2016, 10:30 AM
...I have only one episode to watch left, the final one. :-(
It's a good one, of course.

Substance242
11-09-2016, 03:35 AM
Stranger Things and Westworld are very good, but THIS was the best TV thing 2016. How come I haven't heard of it before, where am I living, who am I surrounded by, that they don't know? :-)

The final episode, I sorta hoped that... the thing had its own consciousness and no-one is controlling it, but still very good.

From all 13 episodes, I think "White Christmas" was the best one for me.

Nyx
11-09-2016, 03:40 AM
This is great.
Trump=Waldo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2iha1umZ9hw

Sutekh
11-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Brooker is presenting the satirical news quiz have I got news for you tomorrow, in case any of you want his take on the election. Should be on about 9/10pm GMT and then available on bbc iPlayer shortly afterwards, and I imagine on YouTube fairly quickly after that

neorev
11-23-2016, 01:18 PM
So Max Richter's score for Season Episode 1 "Nosedive" was released last month along with Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury's "Men Against Fire" episode.

Next month, Clint Mansell's "San Junipero" episode score gets release!

theruiner
11-26-2016, 09:20 PM
So, I finished season 3 yesterday. Good God, that was probably the best television I have seen all year (it's a tossup between this and the new season of "Transparent," I think this might have a slight edge). I don't get all the people who didn't enjoy "Hated in the Nation" all that much, it was my second favorite episode of the season, just behind "San Junipero." I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Absolutely brilliant.

"Men Against Fire" was the only episode I thought was less than great, and even then it was still good. Not a single bad episode all season. I'm really glad my sister convinced me to give this season a chance, considering I had written off the show after not being very impressed with the first two seasons. I am officially a fan and I cannot WAIT for season four.

Also, going to try to watch "White Christmas" tomorrow. It's the only one I haven't seen yet. I've heard amazing things about it.

slave2thewage
12-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Finally started on season 3. I watched the first season when it aired (as you can all see on the first page of this thread) and then fell off until the resurrection of the show and watched season 2 last month. "Nosedive" is an amazing satire on so many things: social media, relationships with your past, UK/Irish perceptions of American culture. Well done, Charlie.

Substance242
12-27-2016, 12:52 PM
I *just* finished rewatching the "White Christmas" special, and I had tears in my eyes, again. As I wrote here before "From all 13 episodes, I think "White Christmas" was the best one for me." I am doing "the best of 2016" on my Facebook wall, and Black Mirror won the best series. :-)

slave2thewage
12-28-2016, 06:01 PM
San Junipero has destroyed my emotions.

Swykk
12-28-2016, 07:21 PM
San Junipero has destroyed my emotions.

Holy shit, you weren't kidding. Might be my favorite episode of the show even though I haven't finished them all yet.

slave2thewage
12-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Personal ranking of season 3:

San Junipero (by far)
Hated in the Nation
Nosedive/Shut Up and Dance (tied)
Playtest
Men Against Fire

slave2thewage
12-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Not sure why Abi would want to give herself away for something like that, but it was neat to see how the whole thing wrapped up with Bing's performance.
I thought Abi's situation was a depiction of people literally whoring themselves for reality TV fame, which was rampant on TV when the episode was made and particularly on those British "talent" shows, like X Factor and all that. The acting for Bing at the end is amazing, but it was literally just Charlie Brooker taking the end of that Network movie and putting it in his own words (he's admitted this himself). Oh, and episode 3 is pretty good. I didn't like it at the time, but on this rewatch I found myself liking it a lot more.

theruiner
12-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Personal ranking of season 3:

San Junipero (by far)
Hated in the Nation
Nosedive/Shut Up and Dance (tied)
Playtest
Men Against Fire
Yes! Someone else who likes "Hated in the Nation" as much as I did! I haven't talked to too many people who liked that episode but I absolutely loved it.

My ranking for S3:

San Junipero
Hated in the Nation
Playtest
Nosedive
Shut Up and Dance
Men Against Fire

Substance242
12-31-2016, 11:39 AM
^ "The Entire History of You (S01E03)", yes that's also a good one. Could be name for some NIN project. :-)

And this is not the last time that infidelity appears in Black Mirror. Pure fiction. ;-)

Kodiak33
08-25-2017, 07:33 AM
http://deadline.com/2017/08/black-mirror-season-4-cast-episodes-trailer-netflix-1202156121/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMXzlX5w04o

FUCK YES.

october_midnight
08-25-2017, 08:29 AM
sweet zombie jesus.

neorev
12-06-2017, 12:40 PM
DECEMBER 29th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ELQ6u_5YYM

Kodiak33
12-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Yes

Substance242
12-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Still in time for the best of 2017 for us not rushing it! :-) This year - TWIN PEAKS vs. BLACK MIRROR. Who will win? :-)

Udpate 20171227: Season 4 in two days, ready? Good! :-)

Substance242
12-29-2017, 05:34 PM
USS Callister: 4/5, some funny quotes and looks there, we've also seen similar topic before, but still very good.

Next episode tomorrow, BLACK MIRROR deserves some time, but yes it's hard to stop. :-)

Also, after this I'll stop Netflix, there's not much more I want to see, but I'll keep Amazon Prime.

playwithfire
12-30-2017, 04:35 AM
Really enjoyed Metalhead.

Substance242
12-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Two interesting tidbits for me from ending credits, episode 2 directed by Jodie Foster (where we've seen her before, House of Cards right?), and episode 3 (okay okay, I took two today, but with very long break! smile) music by Atticus Ross and somebody and somebody. :-)

Also, the final bad thing in episode 3, no no no no no... ;-(

Bachy
12-31-2017, 09:39 AM
That Aaron Paul cameo was perfect, especially because they didn’t go for the cheap laugh/thrill by having him say “bitch.”

Substance242
12-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Episode 4, 99.8 percent - wow, 10/10 immediately. Amazing.

Update: I had to watch it again. Not sure if this happened to me before with any series.

neorev
12-31-2017, 01:47 PM
That Aaron Paul cameo was perfect, especially because they didn’t go for the cheap laugh/thrill by having him say “bitch.”

LOL, that was him, wasn't it?!?! I said to my girl, I think that was Aaron Paul's voice.

Bachy
12-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Episode 4, 99.8 percent - wow, 10/10 immediately. Amazing.

Update: I had to watch it again. Not sure if this happened to me before with any series.

Everyone in that episode was wonderful. Been loving Joe Cole in Peaky Blinders. Was really nice to see him in this. He really broke my heart.

Bachy
01-01-2018, 06:48 PM
So did Karl Pilkington write “Black Museum”?

Substance242
01-03-2018, 04:02 PM
S04E05, Metalhead (dogs) - I was expecting some flashback like it started with reeeally cute toys and maybe hack or something, but here I am thinking about it, so why would I need some explanation, me not stupid, right? So all good, tomorrow the last episode.

elevenism
01-03-2018, 06:37 PM
I liked the new season but I just didn't find it to be quite as good as the other three.

Wolfkiller
01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
I liked the new season but I just didn't find it to be quite as good as the other three.

I enjoyed them, but I feel like they lacked creativity in that three of the episodes used the same tech gimmick from White Christmas, conscious digital copies of people.

elevenism
01-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I enjoyed them, but I feel like they lacked creativity in that three of the episodes used the same tech gimmick from White Christmas, conscious digital copies of people.
Yeah, this seems to be one of CB's deep personal fears.

Wolfkiller
01-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Yeah, this seems to be one of CB's deep personal fears.

I don't blame him. The ep I named in the spoiler tags was terrifying. That one really stuck with me after seeing it.

joplinpicasso
01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
IMO the repetition of the use of the tech either belies the creativity of past seasons/episodes or further focuses on a point that Brooker really is worried about, yeah. I've been fascinated about the copy-paste-delete dilemma of consciousness ever since Nolan's The Prestige. It basically comes from this for those who may not know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletransportation_paradox

Vertigo
01-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Loved Metalhead. Most suspenseful piece of film I've seen in a long time. I loved how they made use of the black and white format, focusing on interesting textures, lighting and vistas. I don't know how they did the effects, either, but they looked 100% practical. If there was CGI in there then jeez, make every effects film black and white.

The episode had this really visceral feel - everything felt very real. Part of that's the aforementioned filming and effects, but also little things like choosing an older actress with age lines, lots of close angles where you can see beads of sweat and individual hairs raising, and the sound design of the robot itself - the clicking of its little feet. Those are all tricks you see employed in the best work of James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, so I thought Metalhead showed an incredibly high standard of filmmaking.

Boots
01-13-2018, 09:53 AM
I've heard a lot about this series. I don't know how to get it in Canada.

Volband
01-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Loved Metalhead. Most suspenseful piece of film I've seen in a long time. I loved how they made use of the black and white format, focusing on interesting textures, lighting and vistas. I don't know how they did the effects, either, but they looked 100% practical. If there was CGI in there then jeez, made every effects film black and white.

The episode had this really visceral feel - everything felt very real. Part of that's the aforementioned filming and effects, but also little things like choosing an older actress with age lines, lots of close angles where you can see beads of sweat and individual hairs raising, and the sound design of the robot itself - the clicking of its little feet. Those are all tricks you see employed in the best work of James Cameron and Steven Spielberg, so I thought Metalhead showed an incredibly high standard of filmmaking.
Reminded me of Tetsuo.

I liked the ending, but I think it is the least enjoyable episode if you are not into those things you praised. Being sandwiched between Hang the DJ and Black Museum does not help rating Metalhead either.

Vertigo
01-13-2018, 12:46 PM
I've heard a lot about this series. I don't know how to get it in Canada.

It should be on Netflix there too.

neorev
12-20-2018, 11:04 AM
The first ever ‘Black Mirror’ movie is coming this year
https://www.nme.com/news/film/black-mirror-movie-netflix-2423496

neorev
12-27-2018, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM

Substance242
12-30-2018, 06:52 AM
So, forgive me silly question, but when watched on Netflix platform (TV, tablet...), Bandersnatch is really interactive I guess? With some pop up appearing? Then there must have been updates of all used apps probably...?

Reminds me, back in the 80s in my country (Czechoslovakia then), there was like biig show on one of our two available TV channels where people were making the choice how will the story continue. Movie paused, announcers let people turn on lights for choice A, then for choice B, and some dude in power plant measured when there was bigger peak. :-) Seriously. Plus live wide shots of lights in some town, but I can't find anything about this now.

Update: Aaand, also from Czechoslovakia - first interactive movie, 1967! :-) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinoautomat

r_z
12-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Yes, the movie let's you choose at certain points which path(s) the protagonist should follow. Depending on your choices there's a different outcome/ending.
This is not simply a gimmick, but rather part of the "theme" of this episode. #nospoilers

Kodiak33
01-05-2019, 08:44 AM
https://www.thewrap.com/black-mirror-bandersnatch-secret-ending-post-credits-scene-easter-egg-tuckersoft-bus-zx-spectrum/

Jinsai
01-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Bandersnatch is great, though it’s strange to hear so much discussion about it without hearing people talk about the “visual novel” genre of game. Maybe people just aren’t as familiar with it in the west?

ickyvicky
01-11-2019, 11:50 AM
I think I finished Bandersnatch? Haha....it was a little creepy for me for some reason. "Bury The Body / Chop Him Up" I was like oh god....lol

neorev
05-15-2019, 05:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVik34nWws

october_midnight
05-21-2019, 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssr40U3-do0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SybklT8k1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qIlCo9yqpY

Jinsai
06-05-2019, 05:05 PM
So....

I like the Ashley Too episode. I really don't know I how I felt about the other two. I'm a huge fan of the show I just maybe need to watch them again

snaapz
06-06-2019, 07:48 AM
I watched the animal in her cage (Ashley) episode. I've only watched a handful of other BM episodes.... This Ashley one had a great story and over all my wife and I enjoyed it; however a few parts felt like it was more of a kids/teen Goodbumps (tv show).

Kodiak33
06-06-2019, 08:23 AM
I liked Striking Vipers because it has alot of thinking layers to it (infidelity due to technology, what if your best friend was suddenly a hot girl/guy whatever, porn and desensitizing you to your partner).

eachpassingphase
06-06-2019, 08:48 AM
So while I liked the three latest episodes, I didn't have the emotional reaction to them that I've had to previous episodes. "The Entire History of You" made me straight-up weep like a child. But it's still excellent and I love this show.

Swykk
06-06-2019, 09:11 AM
I enjoyed Ashley Too. Angourie Rice was fantastic in The Nice Guys and she did well here too. I have never had a problem with Miley, who also did fine.

Smithereens was utter shit apart from Topher Grace’s take on Jack Dorsey.

I haven’t watched the other one yet.

Jinsai
06-06-2019, 11:33 AM
So while I liked the three latest episodes, I didn't have the emotional reaction to them that I've had to previous episodes. "The Entire History of You" made me straight-up weep like a child. But it's still excellent and I love this show.

I agree... "Be Right Back" as well - that actually turned me into a fucking mess. This season, it felt like the first two episodes were more contemplations on a concept than a terrifying reveal of "where we're going and what it's doing to our empathy and emotions."

I can see how people would think the appeal of Ashley Too was juvenile in some ways, but I thought that was probably intentional? Especially when the aunt is pathetically whimpering "I don't want to die." That especially felt like a dark take on "the bad guy's been beaten by the kids!" moment you'd expect from young-adult/kid lit/shows... and w/ Miley Cyrus as the lead, it somehow made the whole thing work and feel convincing on that level.

I liked it, the whole season I guess, but yeah, it all did feel very different.

elevenism
06-06-2019, 12:47 PM
I had a hard time figuring out what Striking Vipers was trying to say.

Jinsai
06-06-2019, 01:01 PM

I think it was more of a humorous take on disassociated fantasy and how we put up distracting barriers that can eventually lead to us being confused as to what we even love or care about... wherein plutonic "love" can become perverse and cross a boundary...

But the episode was ultimately working in this short burst of "humor" here... taking itself a little less seriously. But I think that was "the point," more or less.

Kodiak33
06-06-2019, 01:27 PM

My spoiler is what I got out of it...I could be wrong.

elevenism
06-06-2019, 03:55 PM
The Ashley Too episode has a bit of a Ziggy Stardust/Mechanical Animals sort of vibe going on.

AThousandDaysBefore
06-06-2019, 06:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8TuAeeUwAEv1bo.jpg

I haven't seen the new season yet but I found that Trent wrote the new version of Hlah for the last chapter

Kodiak33
06-06-2019, 08:23 PM
I watched all three, actually liked them quite a bit.

Miss.Selfdestruct
06-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Watched all 3 new episodes last night. Man, the ratio of good/bad episodes seems fairly even now. These last 2 seasons seem very uninspired and turn to established and well liked concepts when there's still much to explore technologically.

Striking Vipers-- Thought they were scared to go all the way here, story and character development wise, by using awesome tech to compliment humanity. It felt like it was cut short.

Smithereens-- People not being able to handle social media. Boring. Hasn't this been done to death already?

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too-- Very fun, didn't contribute something new as BM tends to do. That said, Ashley's rant near the end about fabricated soulless entertainment hit home. Literally just read a work email about something testing better for retention... sigh.

Space Suicide
06-06-2019, 09:40 PM
I still like the show but the episodes that were made when Netflix acquired them have degraded as time goes on.

Jinsai
06-06-2019, 11:04 PM
I still like the show but the episodes that were made when Netflix acquired them have degraded as time goes on.

hate to admit it but yeah. Still love the show, but yeah

elevenism
06-07-2019, 12:35 AM
Smithereens was actually probably my favorite.
Striking Vipers was just, thematically, trying to say too many things at once.
The Ashley Too story: it was reasonably cool, and Miley's acting was GREAT, but it just wasn't DARK or TENSE enough.

So, Smithereens. And, that's not saying a whole lot. I was saying yesterday: I SURE wish they could like, idk, put out 13 episodes a year or something, you know? REALLY be the new Twilight Zone. If they did that, there'd be great episodes and mediocre episodes regularly, and there would be less risk of putting out a whole "season" of mediocre episodes.

Substance242
06-07-2019, 11:44 AM
I also liked Smithereens the most this time. Maybe also because I love BBC Sherlock? :)

Yes some already mentioned episodes (Be right back, Entire history...) were probably better, or for me older White Christmas or Hang the DJ from last season (that one really hits me), but still very good. Very very good.

PS: People, don't watch this all in one day, give it some time. :)

BrokenSpiral
06-07-2019, 07:15 PM
This season wasn’t good. Was confused af when it started Six Inch Nailing

elevenism
06-19-2019, 12:51 AM
I tried calling 1-800-GO-MOUSE, from the Ashley Too episode, thinking there would be some sort of clever tie in.

Instead, it was some sort of phone sex line. :/

Jord
06-19-2019, 02:54 AM
I liked the episodes a lot, the Striking Vipers one was my favourite. Smithereens was my least favourite but had a good message in about the phone usage.

Still a little bummed that we've only got 3 episode this time around, who knows how long we'll be waiting for the next three?

october_midnight
04-25-2023, 02:52 PM
Oh...

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/1650864950540394497

Oh yes.

Something Underneath
04-26-2023, 09:46 AM
This show keeps going downhill with every new season since it went to Netflix. Charlie Brooker rehashes same plots and ideas while also having nothing new/of substance to say anymore. It's a stupid person's idea of a smart show at this point.

october_midnight
04-26-2023, 10:14 AM
Looks hot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7uFcpF0pXk

jmtd
07-01-2023, 11:54 AM
I liked it.