PDA

View Full Version : Not The Actual Events - Physical Edition variations

Pages : [1] 2

sheepdean
02-28-2017, 02:12 PM
So from the pics we've seen, it looks like they're not all the same. Shall we try to collate all the different printing variants?

slave2thewage
02-28-2017, 02:45 PM
So from the pics we've seen, it looks like they're not all the same. Shall we try to collate all the different printing variants?

Mine is still sealed, but I may risk opening it once I recover from the dreaded flu.

Art Vandelay
02-28-2017, 06:20 PM
I got a black envelope and opened it up, all mine says is "The winner for best picture, La La Land".

arsenic
02-28-2017, 07:50 PM
I got a black envelope and opened it up, all mine says is "The winner for best picture, La La Land".

I guess we all know where your physical component was actually delivered. (http://i.imgur.com/CtBL47H.jpg)

:rolleyes:

Ryan
02-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Mine is invisible.

HWB
03-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Mine's black and white,

Branches/Bones = White

Dear World = Black

She's Gone Away = Black

The Idea Of You = White

Burning Bright = White

I remember Trent saying this is a story which starts where it ends, the color going back to "white" would be a nice way to showcase that

NotoriousTIMP
03-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Mine is in color

https://imgur.com/gallery/WCkDO

icklekitty
03-01-2017, 07:22 AM
I think this just means I need to buy a second copy. One to keep sealed in purity, one to ejaculate all over me.

fillow
03-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Just to clarify, this thing is just enveloped pieces of dusty b/w or colored paper(?) with lyrics and credits? No CD?

NotoriousTIMP
03-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Just to clarify, this thing is just enveloped pieces of dusty b/w or colored paper(?) with lyrics and credits? No CD?

Pretty much

EndlessLoveless
03-01-2017, 10:41 AM
So does the paper break down when touched, or is the bag just filled with carbon dust or whatever? Just need to know how much it can be fingered. Should've gotten two.

SM Rollinger
03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Are you guys just getting yours now? I checked my PO box and nothing :(

Kulerage
03-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Mine is special. It's located in I have no clue

xolotl
03-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Are you guys just getting yours now? I checked my PO box and nothing :(

Yeah, I just got mine in the mail today - midwest (Wisconsin) in the U.S. No shipping notification in my email, so it'll likely just turn up without warning. If you ordered along with other items @ the NIN store, the order status will remain "Unfulfilled," so that's not a reliable indicator of whether it's shipped or not.

reznovka
03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
nin.com mailed me that the are sending me a part of one of my orders now...a shirt.
I placed two orders when NTAE came out. A big one (vinyls, shirt, ntae...) and a small one with a shirt and the physical component and now I'll recieve the shirt from the smaller order (for my gf) and no envelope with dirt.
yeah, they keep fucking it up xD

Conan The Barbarian
03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
I dont think I am going to open mine when it gets here. I should have just bought the vinyl.

Art Vandelay
03-01-2017, 11:42 AM
I really did get mine, but I didn't open it. It's a black envelope sealed in an outer clear plastic envelope. I didn't bother opening it because I don't want black dust all over the place. I have two cats and one of my cats has allergies and I don't want her getting sick. No matter how much I clean the counter somehow she will breathe the one speck I didn't get. I put the physical component in between my slowly growing vinyl collection. If there was a meet n greet pass in there for the upcoming tour then I would take it out to the garage and open it up.
As for nin.com all my purchases have been one item at a time or in some cases two at a time, (I'm on a budget, I have been buying a couple of vinyls per paycheck). Under my account on nin.com I have a whole bunch of orders that say "unfulfilled" when they switch to "fulfilled" thats when I know to start looking for them in the mail. They have never sent me a shipping notice.

GentlemanLoser
03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Can anyone do measurements on their cards? I want to pick up a frame tonite for when mine arrives.

Khrz
03-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Can anyone do measurements on their cards? I want to pick up a frame tonite for when mine arrives.

16x23 cm, I think.

SM Rollinger
03-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I just got mine in the mail today - midwest (Wisconsin) in the U.S. No shipping notification in my email, so it'll likely just turn up without warning. If you ordered along with other items @ the NIN store, the order status will remain "Unfulfilled," so that's not a reliable indicator of whether it's shipped or not.
Nah, that was all I had $$$ for at the time since I had just been fired from my job.

IndyJ
03-01-2017, 02:00 PM
I just got mine in the mail and its my birthday. Honestly one of the coolest things I've gotten on my birthday especially because it was unexpected.
Mine is in color and came with an X-ray of TR+AR. I'll try to make some HQ scans later. The euphoric comment on the warning label really caught me and I think I'll try looking and reading this while listening to the corresponding songs.

witte
03-01-2017, 02:35 PM
spoiler (https://youtu.be/7Aj1_u5kg-A) from two dummies on yt. gives you a good impression.
got mine this afternoon, will open it next weekend.

Art Vandelay
03-01-2017, 02:44 PM
That didn't take long somebody is already selling one on eBay

OSLIN
03-01-2017, 02:57 PM
NIN#12459 (https://store.nin.com/account/orders/2cb615bd8daa1cc5a7a6ac01eb5d77d7)
DEC 16, 2016
PAID
FULFILLED

Soon.

kel
03-01-2017, 03:08 PM
spoiler (https://youtu.be/7Aj1_u5kg-A) from two dummies on yt. gives you a good impression.

i got seasick trying to watch that.

mine didn't come today. bummer.

Lew
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
I just got mine in the mail and its my birthday. Honestly one of the coolest things I've gotten on my birthday especially because it was unexpected.
Mine is in color and came with an X-ray of TR+AR. I'll try to make some HQ scans later. The euphoric comment on the warning label really caught me and I think I'll try looking and reading this while listening to the corresponding songs.

happy
birthday!

Piko
03-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Forgot all about this. Guess I'll check the mail when I get home.

EndlessLoveless
03-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Mine is here. Glad it fit in mailbox because weather is crazy in chicagoland right now. I really can't decide if I even want to open this..... ah fuck it.

Conan The Barbarian
03-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Got mine in today as well. The component is sitting nicely on my shelf unopened.

GentlemanLoser
03-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Oh cool. I'm in Wisconsin, so maybe mine will be waiting when I get back from work.

sick among the pure
03-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I wish I had gone through with the second order so I could have one still sealed for display (because this package, once opened, is very anti-display). Took photos of my pages, I'll upload them later.
Even though I knew what I was getting, I still really enjoyed the experience, and the final product is awesome. I really like the idea of picking up some frames and framing these individually.

BRoswell
03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Details on mine...

Envelope: black with fine layer of dust on it
Album credits: black cardstock with white typewriter lettering, horizontally oriented
Trent & Atticus: clear plastic or film
Branches/Bones: light blue cardstock framed by purple/black splotches and dirt smears, lyrics in black typewritter lettering arranged in a rectangle in the center
Dear World,: white/grey cardstock with a background that almost looks like fingerprints, lyrics in pixelated lettering (like from an old computer), water stains and dirt smudges all over
She's Gone Away: black cardstock with touches of orange and white streaks and scratches, lyrics in Downward Spiral font
The Idea Of You: white cardstock with dirt smudges, lyrics in album font
Burning Bright (Field On Fire): white cardstock with large dirt smudges on the left side, a red/blue (3D?) pattern swooping down from top left to the lower third of the page, then to the right, no discernible lyrics, just a large strip of smudged letters or numbers from top to bottom, with a line of smudged letters of numbers next to it running down from the top to the halfway point of the page

Ryan Tollefson
03-01-2017, 06:48 PM
So can all of this "charcoal" be brushed off, or does it leave a mark(s). Just wondering if the artwork can be cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRoswell
03-01-2017, 06:51 PM
So can all of this "charcoal" be brushed off, or does it leave a mark(s). Just wondering if the artwork can be cleaned up.

I had to wash my hands twice to get it off, so I don't know how easy it would be to remove it from the contents, which is probably the point.

Art Vandelay
03-01-2017, 06:53 PM

My guess is rather then trying to brush it off get a can of air for cleaning electronics and shoot it with that, if you brush it off, you smear it into the paper.

kevinbeetle
03-01-2017, 06:55 PM
The Mark Has Been Made

Ryan Tollefson
03-01-2017, 06:58 PM
My guess is rather then trying to brush it off get a can of air for cleaning electronics and shoot it with that, if you brush it off, you smear it into the paper.

That's what I was thinking too!

sheepdean
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Anyone taken a black light to it yet? Or checked it under glow in the dark conditions etc?

Yaknow, just in case

sick among the pure
03-01-2017, 08:32 PM
a red/blue (3D?) pattern swooping down from top left to the lower third of the page, then to the right, no discernible lyrics, just a large strip of smudged letters or numbers from top to bottom, with a line of smudged letters of numbers next to it running down from the top to the halfway point of the page

Are you sure you can't read ANY of the lyrics? On mine, there were phrases that seemed very intentionally bold and readable.

I remember specifically being able to read:
-something, one or two words, can't remember, and my photo isn't completely clear on what it was-

"field on fire"

"burn motherfucker"

"I am free"

And that I thought was the coolest part. The ideas from the song driven home.

patj825
03-01-2017, 08:38 PM
That's what I was thinking too!

I say embrace the mood and smear it in really good!
And... who want's to bet excess soot is going to end up on ebay?

Ryan
03-01-2017, 08:46 PM

Watching those guys gave me malaria.

Ryan
03-01-2017, 08:47 PM
The Mark Has Been Made

Just like we imagined.

BRoswell
03-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Are you sure you can't read ANY of the lyrics? On mine, there were phrases that seemed very intentionally bold and readable.

I remember specifically being able to read:
-something, one or two words, can't remember, and my photo isn't completely clear on what it was-

"field on fire"

"burn motherfucker"

"I am free"

And that I thought was the coolest part. The ideas from the song driven home.

Nope. Couldn't make out a single word on it. I thought maybe it was intentional, like how the space for lyrics to "The Ritual" on NiggyTardust just says "The Writing's On The Wall".

sick among the pure
03-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Nope. Couldn't make out a single word on it. I thought maybe it was intentional, like how the space for lyrics to "The Ritual" on NiggyTardust just says "The Writing's On The Wall".

Using my (really old) iPhone and a magnifying glass light:
http://oi66.tinypic.com/awrzhj.jpg
(Sorry for how big the pic is, doing all of this from mobile)

Edit to update:
Some more iPhone 5s photos I threw on Instagram to show my color variations. Going to talk to a local framer in a few days about ideas for framing these, I want them to have as much of the powder still on them as possible for ~authenticity~ and also because that's part of the ~aesthetic~ of these pieces (only semi-sarcastic, because this is 1,000% an art style that I love, and everything about these cards reminds me of the things you find when exploring abandoned buildings, including the black dust... except this black dust isn't a major health hazard) and when I do I will probably have the capability to get decent photos of them (set them all out flat and use a real camera with natural lighting instead of 2 lights with different color temperatures).

https://www.instagram.com/the_wretched/

BRoswell
03-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Using my (really old) iPhone and a magnifying glass light:

Interesting. Mine is all sealed up in a plastic bag again, so I will have to take it out again at some point to double check, but I honestly can't recall seeing that on mine.

sick among the pure
03-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Interesting. Mine is all sealed up in a plastic bag again, so I will have to take it out again at some point to double check, but I honestly can't recall seeing that on mine.

Shit, it's ARG time.

But seriously, I think it's awesome that there are so many variations, from cardstock and ink colors to (possibly?) actual (text etc) printed info. Well worth $12 (considering that came with the digital files) and waiting for.

paul_guyet
03-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Here's what I got.
LOVE the "Reptile" lyrics.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16938568_10154736836069760_4773804525624116087_n.j pg?oh=dc793bf1b1d91b684efca4db052fba46&oe=593EAE1D

xolotl
03-02-2017, 12:00 AM
One thing I don't think I've seen elsewhere yet - my "credits" card is printed in landscape instead of portrait, and features more text fuckery than the other ones. Dave Grohl's credit is cut in half so there's a top + bottom, and the bottom half is justified much more to the left than the top, etc. (and the rest of the song credits follow suit)

I should've thought to have someone take pictures but it was too much of a hassle with hands all dirtied up; I'll have to see about reopening it in a day or two if that variant doesn't get posted.

GentlemanLoser
03-02-2017, 12:45 AM
One thing I don't think I've seen elsewhere yet - my "credits" card is printed in landscape instead of portrait, and features more text fuckery than the other ones. Dave Grohl's credit is cut in half so there's a top + bottom, and the bottom half is justified much more to the left than the top, etc. (and the rest of the song credits follow suit)

Mine looks the same way. I was kind of surprised (and a little disappointed, but my other cards were pretty awesome looking, so whatever).

I took pictures however:
http://thegentlemanloser.tumblr.com/post/157894502228/a-package-arrived-from-nine-inch-nails

All and all, I got a pretty good selection of card variants. The only thing I would change would be to get the white-text-on-blue title card and the blue-text-on-red She's Gone lyrics. Hell, anyone want to trade me for them, give me a PM. Though I doubt anyone would actually want the versions of them I have.

By the way, I put the entire thing in that frame. Cheap grocery store frame, but it works. And you can clean the cards off pretty well with paper towels.

BRoswell
03-02-2017, 12:56 AM

Mine was the same way.

bobbie solo
03-02-2017, 02:18 AM

I laughed at "NIN paper"

EndlessLoveless
03-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I still haven't opened it. I'm a huge nin collector but not the kind who has sealed versions of anything. It's all opened and used but with this.....I can't bring myself to open it yet which is weird for me. I feel like i will somehow regret it. It's very cool though, what I've seen. I love the concept of it.

The whole concept of the album and music is amazing but i fear its an ending. It feels like a goodbye to a certain aspect of nin. I really hope it's not.

gamecat235
03-02-2017, 09:54 AM
I still haven't opened it. I'm a huge nin collector but not the kind who has sealed versions of anything. It's all opened and used but with this.....I can't bring myself to open it yet which is weird for me. I feel like i will somehow regret it. It's very cool though, what I've seen. I love the concept of it.

The whole concept of the album and music is amazing but i fear its an ending. It feels like a goodbye to a certain aspect of nin. I really hope it's not.

I felt the same way with the last issue of the Sandman. It actually took me nearly two years to finally read the last issue (even though I picked it up on release day). Like some kind of magic would dissipate once I finally read it.

I haven't received my copy of NTAE yet, but I can't not open it. The whole experience is literally why I ordered the physical edition. But, clearly I'm not in any space to judge, however, I do understand.

alfonso99
03-02-2017, 09:54 AM
I still haven't opened it. I'm a huge nin collector but not the kind who has sealed versions of anything. It's all opened and used but with this.....I can't bring myself to open it yet which is weird for me.

I get you. I wouldn't open it, but what if there are a few physical components with a surprise prize?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Callahan
03-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Don't think mine has shipped yet, but are you folks cleaning off the paper? or just leaving them in their mess of stuff?

patj825
03-02-2017, 10:17 AM

I felt the same way, but... I feel like the opening of it, the creation of the mess, the smearing of the soot all over the cards, the fingerprints, looking and touching everything... it's a essential part of the NIN NTAE experience. I'm going to open mine this weekend. I feel like it deserves my attention. And it's going to be fun.

patj825
03-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Is it weird that the fact that it's just a powdery catastrophe and paper makes me wish I hadn't ordered the vinyl and had instead gotten this...thing for me to deal with? I don't even have a record player anymore. This is an awesome disaster they've given everyone. Ten points for creativity.

And another ten points for getting thousands of envelopes of loose powder through the USPS. Who the hell is running that operation?

You're taking for granted the vinyl isn't also going to feature the powdery black soot. How cool would that be?

implanted_microchip
03-02-2017, 12:32 PM
You're taking for granted the vinyl isn't also going to feature the powdery black soot. How cool would that be?

As someone who would like to actually play their vinyl record once it arrives -- not cool. Not cool at all. I still haven't sprung for one of those discwashers eversonpoe is always raving about and I'm certainly not beginning to now.

mauro995
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
This thing might be one of my favourite NIN artworks ever. It's so unique and it's really a whole experience that makes you participate in an active way.
I think it was worth the wait.

xolotl
03-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I decided to put together a simple webpage to collate the various versions of all these things, and I've got it up here for the time being:

http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/

I'm sure I'm missing some, and many of the versions could use some higher-res images (I'll be trying to get some images of my own up there over the weekend, though with family visiting that may not happen). I'd especially like to get some good images of the backs of these sheets; there are some fun details in there. Seemingly left-over impressions from other prints, etc... I seem to have a different set of impressions on the back of my credits card, for instance (and I don't seem to have the NIN logo or halo designation on mine, too).

Anyway, enjoy! I'll be keeping tabs on this thread (and the other NTAE thread), and updating as more images are posted.

SM Rollinger
03-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Still waiting...

Ryan Tollefson
03-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Mine didn't come today. Just emailed firebrand about my invalid tracking number.

kargath
03-02-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm getting jealous...I've ordered 3 across two orders and haven't received diddly squat. All shipped to my office in Chicago.

Star
03-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I got mine today and I opened it and barely looked at it because of the black crap so I put it in a plastic zip lock bag, instead of throwing it away which was my initial thought. Now, I wish I would have just not opened it and put it on Ebay.

Piko
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Haven't gotten mine yet. Kinda whatever about it now. Had forgotten all about it until I saw the thread...

Art Vandelay
03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I didn't open mine but I'm not going to sell it either, I collect NIN stuff, I've looked at all the pictures of everybody else's. All the vinyls I have received so far I haven't opened them either primarily because I don't have a turntable (I might do something about that soon). I have only received NBK and Lost Highway and I had HTDA from before. I really want Deviations and The Fragile those I might open when they get here.

jamesd553
03-02-2017, 08:23 PM
So is this a new ARG? Should I dust off my ammo box?
Anything in the package makes reference to anything on Year Zero?

Ryan
03-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Maybe the dust is Parepin.

breathe
it in
slowly

mattchambers
03-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Got mine today. It wasn't as messy really as some make it out to be. As long as you are careful and take the pages out on something like a towel...the most you will have to do is wash your hands afterwards....

I'm a comic book reader so I bagged and boarded the pages so I can look at them whenever I want without getting dirty.

klyrish
03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm glad EVERYTHING Trent does is mysterious and vague; he never breaks character. I got worried that something was screwed up with my order since people have been getting theirs and I got no email, but there are apparently no emails to be had at all.

p_rez17
03-02-2017, 10:45 PM
My version of the events:

http://imgur.com/a/N4xbr

GentlemanLoser
03-02-2017, 11:52 PM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/c300f39f671c445a178252cbffa23c14/tumblr_om6dckcIt11qeol03o8_1280.jpg

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-03-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm getting jealous...I've ordered 3 across two orders and haven't received diddly squat. All shipped to my office in Chicago.

You're not the only one! I haven't received mine either (Lawrence, KS), but I'm just surprised because I was really expecting to not get mine until my whole order was ready. Seeing as that isn't the case anymore, I guess I can't complain! Hopefully it'll be this weekend though, because I feel like those WOULD look really cool arranged on the wall...

Oh, awesome, I just realized that I may get this the same day or shortly after I get my new, clean, WHITE Xbox One. Perfect!

WorzelG
03-03-2017, 06:46 AM
OK trying to upload a picture here.
https://flic.kr/p/S37CAG

I just tried to copy the Flickr url and post it but it just appears as a little square and won't show the photo. What am I doing wrong?

bwary
03-03-2017, 07:03 AM
OK trying to upload a picture here.
https://flic.kr/p/S37CAG

I just tried to copy the Flickr url and post it but it just appears as a little square and won't show the photo. What am I doing wrong?You'll need to click on the share icon (arrow) in the bottom right of the screen, then select BBCode at the top of the popup dialog, choose the size you want, copy, past here... trim the url if ya want:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2849/32841765180_610bb624e5.jpg

WorzelG
03-03-2017, 07:39 AM
You'll need to click on the share icon (arrow) in the bottom right of the screen, then select BBCode at the top of the popup dialog, choose the size you want, copy, past here... trim the url if ya want:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2849/32841765180_610bb624e5.jpg

Thanks I'll try it out later when on my laptop. My phone doesn't seem to have the right interface

imail724
03-03-2017, 08:24 AM
I'm a comic book reader so I bagged and boarded the pages so I can look at them whenever I want without getting dirty.How well do they fit? Thinking about doing the same.

WorzelG
03-03-2017, 11:38 AM
OK here is a try to attach pictures again

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhsPEszyNN2lizEmZ2bmhcR1IC-i

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ACZnZuaFxHUgL6I&cid=A5DD34F2CC120F1B&id=A5DD34F2CC120F1B%211447&parId=A5DD34F2CC120F1B%211457&o=OneUp

I don't have this arrow option to share files in the bottom right of the screen, all I have is a resize option

That other guy
03-03-2017, 11:48 AM
just a thought , but if NTAE was kind of a politically charged EP , one could think we are(in the US) all buying (into) a new regime(cd) and we all are getting our hands dirty by it and not getting what was expected? Long shot I know....

Fred
03-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I need to buy the vinyl so I can tuck the cards away in a plastic sleeve inside that. The envelope tore pretty easily, despite my attempts to prevent that.

I've shared some artsy-fartsy photos of the configuration I received on my Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/frederik_o88/), along with my thoughts on it. But the bottom line is that I think it's a really cool product.

SM Rollinger
03-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Well, nothing again today. USPS probably lost it, like the 3 other packages they have lost this year. Including a Expedition Steam Vents i sold on TCGPlayer that they denied my insurance claim for.

Sorry, back on topic, anyone have an extra they would sell me? Ill pay to ship it UPS or FedEx.

FernandoDante
03-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Just got tracking info for mine. Apparently it was shipped on Feb 23? I'm surprised.

kel
03-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Well, nothing again today. USPS probably lost it, like the 3 other packages they have lost this year. Including a Expedition Steam Vents i sold on TCGPlayer that they denied my insurance claim for.

Sorry, back on topic, anyone have an extra they would sell me? Ill pay to ship it UPS or FedEx.

have you contacted store support? i just emailed them with my order number and the bunk tracking number. we'll see what they respond with.

i know, dude ... this is frustrating as fuck.

edit: this should be I'm the firebrand fuck up thread, my apologies. on topic, *if* i ever get mine i hope it's the red/blue variation.

implanted_microchip
03-03-2017, 03:14 PM
I got my two copies in today, I'm leaving one sealed (for now, though I'll likely cave and open it to see what versions are in it soon because these things fascinate me). This is, without a doubt, the coolest thing they've ever released physically speaking.

http://imgur.com/7LYWJBk

Most notably, my credits card has no logo or halo designation on the back and is purple with white text:
http://i.imgur.com/NifPVnE.jpg

I'm in love.

patj825
03-03-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm leaving one sealed (for now, though I'll likely cave and open it to see what versions are in it soon because these things fascinate me).

In that sealed envelope, you probably have the ultra-rare, single-edition, gold-foil-printed collection.

implanted_microchip
03-03-2017, 03:55 PM
In that sealed envelope, you probably have the ultra-rare, single-edition, gold-foil-printed collection.

It's likely got the golden ticket from the Tool Opiate rerelease that nobody ever found!

xolotl
03-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Ooh, the one which guarantees entry into the fabled Reznor Music Production Factory, where hordes of diminutive Robin Finck clones work tirelessly day in and day out to produce the fine-quality Nine Inch Nails products we've all come to know and love over the years?

[parasite]
03-03-2017, 03:59 PM
ok, here's my 1st set....

https://imgur.com/gallery/35c8T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zecho
03-03-2017, 05:48 PM
It's likely got the golden ticket from the Tool Opiate rerelease that nobody ever found!

Actually, at least one was found that I know of. The dude received a framed golden vinyl with his name inscribed on it.

Ryan Tollefson
03-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Here is mine
https://goo.gl/photos/dTshYvhhFrCZdxv5A

Gonna do some proper HQ scans tomorrow so I can look at it whenever I want with out getting dirty ha ha

Callahan
03-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Got mine today!! Just took a photo with all together.

The purple credits card does have a VERY faint NIN logo on the back, can barely even see it in good lighting, at least with my kitchen lights anyway.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/35cec582181be407b11d8cee644ce7a9.jpg

Ryan Tollefson
03-03-2017, 10:57 PM
I really dig mine, kind glad my credits aren't landscape, but disappointed my credits card shows no sign of halo 29. I've looked "so hard... so long..." but it's not on mine.

Ryan Tollefson
03-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Mine looks the same way. I was kind of surprised (and a little disappointed, but my other cards were pretty awesome looking, so whatever).

I took pictures however:
http://thegentlemanloser.tumblr.com/post/157894502228/a-package-arrived-from-nine-inch-nails

All and all, I got a pretty good selection of card variants. The only thing I would change would be to get the white-text-on-blue title card and the blue-text-on-red She's Gone lyrics. Hell, anyone want to trade me for them, give me a PM. Though I doubt anyone would actually want the versions of them I have.

By the way, I put the entire thing in that frame. Cheap grocery store frame, but it works. And you can clean the cards off pretty well with paper towels.

I'd prob trade she's gone away cards with you if we're ever around each other. You get to the twin cities much? I see your in Madison. My brother went to school there and his family in law is in Oshkosh.

https://goo.gl/photos/PE6eqdCnrkMjPFiR8

eversonpoe
03-03-2017, 11:22 PM
http://eversonpoe.tumblr.com/post/157929263233

there's my whole set of pictures (which my wife patiently took while i carefully opened and inspected everything with rubber gloves). of course we listened to the EP (again) while going through the process. it was really fun.

of note:
- i could not see the NIN logo or halo designation anywhere, but it's possible it might be there in better lighting
- i got an extra "the idea of you" page...which is pretty freakin' cool
- i think this is one of the coolest ideas to accompany music that i've seen in a while, and i can't wait to get frames

http://68.media.tumblr.com/5205fb2c3bd5af1b17670542868cc8ae/tumblr_om80knWYaJ1qzcvl5o7_500.jpg

bwary
03-04-2017, 02:57 AM
Every time I see this one
http://68.media.tumblr.com/11ea9d7dd84f00be9e56b73f52ac49d7/tumblr_om80knWYaJ1qzcvl5o3_250.jpg

I want to put on a pair of these
http://www.3d-image.net/images/3D-glasses-anaglyph.jpg :eek:

Piko
03-04-2017, 12:14 PM
My component came in today. It had a sticker that said "do not open this will make a mess". My dad insisted to open it. Fuck it, why not. I thought nah, it's probably a gimmick. Nope. No gimmick. Whatever the black envelope is/was made of got all over our hands and kitchen counter.

I really have no words to describe what I think of this 'physical component' but what the fuck?

FULLMETAL
03-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Please forgive the unartistic display, but here are my NTAE cards:

http://i.imgur.com/02XzMUAl.jpg

The back of the credits card has the NIN HALO TWENTYNINE, but it's nearly impossible to discern:

http://i.imgur.com/G5ZhIizl.jpg

I'm very pleased with the overall set, but I'm not into the Red "She's Gone" card (it's so hard on my eyes).

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Working on putting up some 1600 dpi scans of two different sets, but my scanner is slow and kind of shitty...

I decided to put together a simple webpage to collate the various versions of all these things, and I've got it up here for the time being:

http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/

I'm sure I'm missing some, and many of the versions could use some higher-res images (I'll be trying to get some images of my own up there over the weekend, though with family visiting that may not happen). I'd especially like to get some good images of the backs of these sheets; there are some fun details in there. Seemingly left-over impressions from other prints, etc... I seem to have a different set of impressions on the back of my credits card, for instance (and I don't seem to have the NIN logo or halo designation on mine, too).

Anyway, enjoy! I'll be keeping tabs on this thread (and the other NTAE thread), and updating as more images are posted.

Also, my horizontal credits page DOES have a logo on the back, but it's ridiculously hard to make out.

xolotl
03-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Also, my horizontal credits page DOES have a logo on the back, but it's ridiculously hard to make out.

Ah, good to know; looking forward to your scans! I'll update the description on there, thx.

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Here are some scans with my goddamn shitty scanner. (https://www.facebook.com/paul.guyet/media_set?set=a.10154744805999760.1073741845.58837 9759&type=3&pnref=story)

Second set coming in an hour or so.

xolotl
03-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Last night I updated my variations index page (at http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/ ) with links to all the sources for the images, btw, so I feel a bit better about that. I also realized that there's probably no reason not to just throw that thing up on Github, so if you wanted your own local mirror of all that (including the script which generates the HTML), feel free to grab it over here: https://github.com/apocalyptech/ntae

I'd happily accept pull requests, of course, though I'll be continuing to monitor this (and other) threads for more images, so definitely don't feel compelled to do so if it's not something you'd naturally do anyway. :)

xolotl
03-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Here are some scans with my goddamn shitty scanner. (https://www.facebook.com/paul.guyet/media_set?set=a.10154744805999760.1073741845.58837 9759&type=3&pnref=story)

Second set coming in an hour or so.

Those aren't viewable by someone without a Facebook account, btw (or possibly without being Friended or whatever the hell Facebook does). Would you mind either changing the permissions on that set, or uploading 'em elsewhere as well? Thx!

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 02:22 PM
transparency

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17022469_10154744821584760_9036733739289901487_n.j pg?oh=dc3acd3f5fbd770a6c6360553bc7ab6b&oe=59350CC2
branches/bones 1 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17098510_10154744819174760_3201291483683513219_n.j pg?oh=0a56a468d1fa491ce705a2cb6bc46423&oe=5973AB72
branches/bones 1 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17155905_10154744818149760_5122212961430693749_n.j pg?oh=84ebdb67ac956bb0fecb62a721189991&oe=59320BEB
dear world, 1
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156037_10154744821594760_272186537741519485_n.jp g?oh=8dbd53617bf4436386a7f9d383c696d0&oe=592C3367

she's gone away 1 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17103267_10154744823069760_4163503119641963586_n.j pg?oh=f3dc87f86476c040b0ff89312843ef87&oe=5967E586

she's gone away 1 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/q91/s960x960/17038716_10154744822924760_4380563550106001524_o.j pg?oh=8fe17fc5a36faf2a30bcc7aa37334d01&oe=59380148
the idea of you 1 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021980_10154744819189760_7298664182303485543_n.j pg?oh=a603769364b4f84cead4d92cb72ccf12&oe=593CA669
the idea of you 1 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17155244_10154744823659760_921842821061642641_n.jp g?oh=b0deb6b487729cd80883a565aa741ad7&oe=5933A32A
burning bright 1
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17022493_10154744823759760_1520709773113329392_n.j pg?oh=4ba75f4066ba81216bec0d9ea9fbe442&oe=5927A3A4
credits 1 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156106_10154744820044760_2504125790268161330_n.j pg?oh=f6e8b60079cfaf809ed98f0131a839cb&oe=593788C1

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 02:23 PM
credits 1 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156139_10154744818154760_2156401175238783709_n.j pg?oh=53f60adf163537d2fccf8e25114df20d&oe=59252B11
transparency / the idea of you 1
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17022008_10154744820109760_2393347796136888718_n.j pg?oh=e6d2d5ee8f51f4e5067997aedbeac8f4&oe=593C5424

fillow
03-04-2017, 02:37 PM
I guess TR now collects every Physical Component owner's prints via these scans. Welcome to Year Zero.

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Just made the album public. (https://www.facebook.com/paul.guyet/media_set?set=a.10154744805999760.1073741845.58837 9759&type=3)

FULLMETAL
03-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Thank you @xolotl (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=226) for compiling all the images to catalog the variants! Does anyone remember seeing a print run for the Physical Component?

For simplicity, I'm going to speculate that Black on White is the main version (save for "She's Gone Away") & the other colors are secondary:

Transparency

NTAE_01
a. White card/Black text
b. Blue card/Black text
c. red splotches

NTAE_02
a. White card/Black text
b. Black card/White text
c. Green card/Black text

NTAE_03
a. Black card/White text
b. Red card/Blue text

NTAE_04
a. White card/Black text
b. Grey card/Black text (slightly different text layout)
c. Blue card/Red text

NTAE_05
a. White card/Black text
b. White card/Multicolor text
c. Black card/Pink text

Credits
a. White card/Black text
b. Blue card/White text
c. Black card/White text (landscape)

I'm guessing there are 3 random variants and we've yet to see the third version for "She's Gone Away."

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 03:10 PM
branches/bones 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17022164_10154745010959760_2897867024243944457_n.j pg?oh=7dd6600f921eea86e8ee3110e7d9c86c&oe=593CDEFD
she's gone away 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16939397_10154745009149760_6569823002798253520_n.j pg?oh=6b73b0f96cf65d5f92767ebd476aa95a&oe=59683E9E
the idea of you 2 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021714_10154745011854760_8687983546085744533_n.j pg?oh=10c78e1210478034936730d953447862&oe=5927A6A1
the idea of you 2 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17098568_10154745013054760_1904072205964432741_n.j pg?oh=8120e03a98fbefa92b60836262615491&oe=593D7014
burning bright 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17155200_10154745011929760_5955294493812621586_n.j pg?oh=d6bf34f2c3d5ab34d3c17f4f68e3c9e2&oe=596DA2AE
credits 2 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17097694_10154745009139760_1492789131210524959_o.j pg?oh=0883e9ba814f55ab3ae521a58c446687&oe=592FE4D0

credits 2 back (faint logo dead center almost at the very bottom)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17157628_10154745010969760_6118863228565575040_o.j pg?oh=0f9cebe8f0c04b71bd7b5105cce4a856&oe=592BD881

transparency / burning bright
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156272_10154745043774760_5245799571140552036_n.j pg?oh=2dc04e443568bfd5b6bdbcc56c8acbdf&oe=5971AD18

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Thank you @xolotl (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=226) for compiling all the images to catalog the variants! Does anyone remember seeing a print run for the Physical Component?

For simplicity, I'm going to speculate that Black on White is the main version (save for "She's Gone Away") & the other colors are secondary:

Transparency

NTAE_01
a. White card/Black text
b. Blue card/Black text

NTAE_02
a. White card/Black text
b. Black card/White text
c. Green card/Black text

NTAE_03
a. Black card/White text
b. Red card/Blue text

NTAE_04
a. White card/Black text
b. Blue card/Red text

NTAE_05
a. White card/Black text
b. White card/Multicolor text
c. Black card/Pink text

Credits
a. White card/Black text
b. Blue card/White text
c. Black card/White text (landscape)

I'm guessing there are 3 random variants and we've yet to see the third version for "Branches/Bones," "She's Gone Away," & "The Idea of You."

There are two black on white versions of "The Idea of You" with different font arrays, so I think that's all three. And there's a version of "Branches/Bones" with red splotches instead of black. "She's Gone Away" is the only one that hasn't had a third yet.

kel
03-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Got mine today!! Just took a photo with all together.

The purple credits card does have a VERY faint NIN logo on the back, can barely even see it in good lighting, at least with my kitchen lights anyway.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/35cec582181be407b11d8cee644ce7a9.jpg

i got this variation. didn't take pictures, just wanted to clean up. i'm really happy with it, feels totally worth $12 and then some. that said, i put it back in the plastic sleeve and i have no intention of opening it again.

this whole thing makes me very excited for whatever might come. maybe nothing, but still ...

Halo Infinity
03-04-2017, 10:22 PM
This thread seemed to be the right place to mention this particular thought concerning the physical component's black dust or powder. Anyway, I was just wondering if it's actually corn starch colored black. It also made me wonder if they're to represent the ashes of all the songs with fire and burning references in them as the remains of the idea of him.

Aside from that, I'm just thankful that I have been very much fulfilled upon receiving it, as it'll give me another way to enjoy Not The Actual Events in its entirety. As much as I still enjoy looking through CD cases and booklets, this certainly is yet another creative and brand new experience for me that I definitely appreciate. I also didn't mind the delays that much because I got used to things being postponed or simply not happening whenever it came to Nine Inch Nails, which as a result lead me to be very patient and accepting with whatever Trent Reznor does or doesn't do no matter how many times he might openly suggest or merely hint at any type of prospective release or tour.

I'm also pretty big on the whole "I'll only believe it when I actually see it." approach to such things, so it still gives me yet another reason to be thankful and appreciative, as I saw, touched and believed.

I suppose you can say that my faith and devotion to NIN is still going strong. I also thought to myself, with all the times I bought multiple NIN albums as presents, what's $12.00 without the physical component?

But again, it is quite a relief and pleasant surprise to have it, as I also enjoy the visual aspects of music, with further proof of the money being well spent, whether they be videos or album art even if I tend to block out images and videos from time to time while listening to music.

xolotl
03-04-2017, 10:29 PM
There are two black on white versions of "The Idea of You" with different font arrays, so I think that's all three.

Yeah, I'd noticed that there seemed to be more than one font layout for The Idea of You, even though they otherwise superficially look quite similar. I hadn't yet looked closely enough to find out if it really was just two distinct versions or not; I'll probably end up splitting up my summary page to reflect that once I have a bit of time.

Edit: I wonder if there's a third variant for She's Gone Away but the difference is on the back of the card, not the front. We don't have nearly as many pics/scans of those yet...

eversonpoe
03-04-2017, 10:44 PM
has anyone besides me gotten any extra pages? i'm certain it was just that the two pages were stuck together but i also think it's pretty awesome that i ended up with a variation like that.

bwary
03-04-2017, 11:02 PM
has anyone besides me gotten any extra pages? i'm certain it was just that the two pages were stuck together but i also think it's pretty awesome that i ended up with a variation like that.You are super special!

paul_guyet
03-04-2017, 11:03 PM
They might make it a bit bulky and, you know, covered in fine, black powder, but, yeah, they should fit. They are just over 6 by 9 inches each

I haven't received mine yet, as I live outside the continental U.S. Will these things fit inside the NTAE LP jacket once it arrives?

bwary
03-04-2017, 11:06 PM
@xolotl (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=226)

I'm pretty sure that there are two different variations of the green card stock for "Dear World"
From what I've seen, some are bright green and some are dull green. Of course, I'm aware that different cammeras and or different backgrounds might affect the "green", however comparing the photos people have put up and comparing the white, blue, black, purple, etc within the same picture... I'm fairly certain that there are two different "greens". One is bright, and one is dull. The bright green is already documented. Here's an example of the dull green: http://www.pictaram.club/share/BRIyp4vlfXj

edit:
https://scontent-ams3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s1080x1080/e35/16907074_1860751774143200_1751557108635009024_n.jp g

Dimitri.
03-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Here's my version, back and front :

https://i.imgur.com/iIhL0Kh.jpg

Close up here : https://imgur.com/a/nXuK3

There is a new line of lyrics in the second verse of The Idea of You :

GO BACK TO THAT IDEA
CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER HERE?
(TLEF UOY) YOU FEEL IT HAPPENING?

It's strange, because this line can't be heard in the song, it's not on NINwiki but we can find a variation of it on other lyrics sites like : http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nineinchnails/theideaofyou.html

This last variation ("Can't you feel it happening?") is also on other versions of the Physical Component.

paul_guyet
03-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Here's my version, back and front :

https://i.imgur.com/iIhL0Kh.jpg

Close up here : https://imgur.com/a/nXuK3

There is a new line of lyrics in the second verse of The Idea of You :

GO BACK TO THAT IDEA
CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER HERE?
(TLEF UOY) YOU FEEL IT HAPPENING?

It's strange, because this line can't be heard in the song, it's not on NINwiki but we can find a variation of it on other lyrics sites like : http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nineinchnails/theideaofyou.html

This last variation ("Can't you feel it happening?") is also on other versions of the Physical Component.
There are some lyrics on the "Burning Bright" sheet that aren't in the song either.

Jon
03-05-2017, 09:55 AM
This thread seemed to be the right place to mention this particular thought concerning the physical component's black dust or powder. Anyway, I was just wondering if it's actually corn starch colored black.

I believe the substance is Lake Pigment (http://www.pylamdyes.com/products/lake-pigments.html):

"Lakes are often used to color food, drugs and cosmetics (http://www.pylamdyes.com/products/food-drugs-cosmetics.html). For food coloring, lake pigments are used when other types of food dyes are inefficient. Specifically, when the food at hand lacks the appropriate level of moisture in which other types of dyes can dissolve, lake pigments are often used. Lake pigments are also used for coloring foods containing fats and oils. While both traditional food dyes and lake pigments are both oil insoluble, lakes are oil dispersible. Lakes are commonly used in personal care products (http://www.pylamdyes.com/products/personal-care.html) such as lipsticks, eye-shadow, nail polishes, lotions and other cosmetics because of their chemical attributes and coloring qualities."

"Fats and oils" is bolded because fingerprints.

simonn
03-05-2017, 10:15 AM
branches/bones 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17022164_10154745010959760_2897867024243944457_n.j pg?oh=7dd6600f921eea86e8ee3110e7d9c86c&oe=593CDEFD
she's gone away 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16939397_10154745009149760_6569823002798253520_n.j pg?oh=6b73b0f96cf65d5f92767ebd476aa95a&oe=59683E9E
the idea of you 2 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17021714_10154745011854760_8687983546085744533_n.j pg?oh=10c78e1210478034936730d953447862&oe=5927A6A1
the idea of you 2 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17098568_10154745013054760_1904072205964432741_n.j pg?oh=8120e03a98fbefa92b60836262615491&oe=593D7014
burning bright 2
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17155200_10154745011929760_5955294493812621586_n.j pg?oh=d6bf34f2c3d5ab34d3c17f4f68e3c9e2&oe=596DA2AE
credits 2 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17097694_10154745009139760_1492789131210524959_o.j pg?oh=0883e9ba814f55ab3ae521a58c446687&oe=592FE4D0

credits 2 back (faint logo dead center almost at the very bottom)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17157628_10154745010969760_6118863228565575040_o.j pg?oh=0f9cebe8f0c04b71bd7b5105cce4a856&oe=592BD881

transparency / burning bright
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156272_10154745043774760_5245799571140552036_n.j pg?oh=2dc04e443568bfd5b6bdbcc56c8acbdf&oe=5971AD18

This is the set I have too...I think these are really cool to be honest, good work team NIN/Kraw. Maybe still trumped by the Year Zero disc changing colour...!

hannahdriley
03-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Awesome. Thanks man. Firebrand confirmed for me its organic makeup so this makes perfect sense.

imail724
03-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Here's mine, bagged and boarded: http://i.imgur.com/waEAk3s.jpg

Ryan
03-05-2017, 03:19 PM
There are some lyrics on the "Burning Bright" sheet that aren't in the song either.

Can you transcribe them so they can be added to ninwiki, please?

paul_guyet
03-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Can you transcribe them so they can be added to ninwiki, please?

The bolded lines are what's on the lyric sheet but not sung.
Or, if they are, I can't hear it at all, please correct me if I'm wrong.

now I know for certain
shedding any
burn motherfucker

like an end
like an end
like the fucking end
like the end

Also: it's getting hard to know which side is the dream

The first and third bolded sections are included in the lyrics of the nin.com mp3 version of the song, but the second is only on the lyrics sheet in the physical component.

gorast
03-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Looking through the thread, my set seems like one of the common ones. Red/blue "She's Gone Away," white "Branches/Bones," etc. A couple other people in this thread have my exact set, from what I can tell. I put together a Flickr album here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/enigmaticyelling/albums/72157679421652870).

If some of the pictures look a little bit weird in certain spots, it's because I had to edit out my name and address because I'm a stupid asshole who photographed my set on top of my mailing envelope.

Also, I cannot find even the slightest hint of the NIN logo / Halo Twenty Nine on my credits page. Nothing. It might have been filled in by the "dirt" (I don't know what else to call it), but I feel like I'd at least be able to tell if that was the case. Oh well.

xolotl
03-05-2017, 09:53 PM
There are two black on white versions of "The Idea of You" with different font arrays, so I think that's all three. And there's a version of "Branches/Bones" with red splotches instead of black.

Yeah, you're definitely right about The Idea Of You having two very distinct black-on-white versions, so I've split those out.

I'm half sold on Branches/Bones... I do notice that I've got two images in the "white with black text" section on there which have noticeably different/bigger splotches from the rest, but I'm no longer certain that those don't belong in the "blue with black text" category... The very first image actually sort of looks to me like the photo itself is black-and-white, which makes the color difficult to see, and the color on the second one looks like it could be blue, and it's just a white balance issue causing it to look a little more white to me. The reddish-looking splotch on the top of that one looks pretty similar huewise to some of the splotches in the images in the Blue section.

Edit: Yeah, after looking at those two more, I am quite positive that they belong in the Blue section, not White. I've removed the first entirely (I doublechecked and that whole photoset was entirely black+white, so color would be difficult to discern), and the other one looks much better up with the Blues.

I'm pretty sure that there are two different variations of the green card stock for "Dear World"
From what I've seen, some are bright green and some are dull green. Of course, I'm aware that different cammeras and or different backgrounds might affect the "green", however comparing the photos people have put up and comparing the white, blue, black, purple, etc within the same picture... I'm fairly certain that there are two different "greens". One is bright, and one is dull. The bright green is already documented. Here's an example of the dull green

Yeah, I'm half-sold on that as well; the second image on my index in particular seems to be a noticeably different shade (which matches the pic you posted). I'll probably split that out once one more better-isolated image of the alternate tint pops up somewhere.

acrid avid jam shred
03-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Mine arrived earlier today! The cards are the black and white variations, and the strip of lyrics for Burning Bright is clear. It's pretty neat how we've all got different, unique versions!

Bajoobatron
03-06-2017, 12:41 AM
My set is devoid of color, strictly black/grey/white and has the landscape credits. I'll throw pictures up tomorrow.

ROFLRICK
03-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Has anyone else opened theirs with their bare hands for the full experience? I did.

xfocalinx
03-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the bad pics, my phone camera is terrible.

Front:
http://i.imgur.com/AnhBRiT.jpg
back:
http://i.imgur.com/dRq1d1E.jpg

On the Credits card, I could not find the NIN logo, until a black-light revealed the logo was at the top:
http://i.imgur.com/0VQiK9o.jpg

magnolia
03-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Here are mine.
http://i.imgur.com/jNAVR8U.jpg

Leviathant
03-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Here's one of my sets of physical editions (http://imgur.com/a/cP74o). I haven't opened the one I got last week yet. Now you've got a clearer look into where the newer avatars (and the header of the nin subreddit, and the NIN Hotline's Twitter & Facebook headers...)

tony.parente
03-06-2017, 10:42 PM
https://youtu.be/wDI_HYNg4m0

Got mine and opened it. To be honest I was expecting bullshit cardstock and some dirt. There's actually more to it than I guessed, there's some actual layers going on in a few of the pieces. 7/10, I wish this release offered a disk option.

eversonpoe
03-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Got mine and opened it. To be honest I was expecting bullshit cardstock and some dirt. There's actually more to it than I guessed, there's some actual layers going on in a few of the pieces. 7/10, I wish this release offered a disk option.

it did. it's called vinyl. :p

tony.parente
03-06-2017, 10:54 PM
You saucy cunt <3

Papagolash
03-06-2017, 11:03 PM

I kinda want to see the vinyl version come with the organic makeup caked all over it as well.

tony.parente
03-06-2017, 11:10 PM
I kinda want to see the vinyl version come with the organic makeup caked all over it as well.
I hope it's just the powder compressed into a vinyl and as soon as you put the needle on it the thing just breaks down and reveals a cd in the mess.

Bajoobatron
03-07-2017, 12:56 AM
http://imgur.com/M5ds631

http://imgur.com/T4U7QRv

http://imgur.com/2gO2uBB

http://imgur.com/Yk9jQP6

http://imgur.com/S3XN5lM

NIN logo is faint...have to dig out a blacklight to check for a Halo moniker at some point.

WorzelG
03-07-2017, 01:23 AM

So were these sent by a national carrier in the US or is St Louis mail just really that bad?

Bajoobatron
03-07-2017, 01:30 AM
I live in St. Louis county. St. Louis mail is generally great. Mine was sent DHL from CA and handed off to USPS, much like the others' packages in the US. I think Tony was more than likely a victim of an unforeseen delay with his.

edit: For reference, I received mine on Friday.

LaneSax
03-07-2017, 02:56 AM
Pleasantly surprised that mine has arrived so soon

eversonpoe
03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
I live in St. Louis county. St. Louis mail is generally great. Mine was sent DHL from CA and handed off to USPS, much like the others' packages in the US. I think Tony was more than likely a victim of an unforeseen delay with his.

edit: For reference, I received mine on Friday.
tony.parente was a victim of complaining too much and firebrand was probably like "yo, USPS, hold on to this for a few extra days just to drive this guy crazy" :p

tony.parente
03-07-2017, 09:53 AM
@tony.parente (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2107) was a victim of complaining too much and firebrand was probably like "yo, USPS, hold on to this for a few extra days just to drive this guy crazy" :p
I mean, it kind of (completely) dulled my excitement for it. I'm sad I couldn't really enjoy the opening of it. But I have it, so that's all that really matters.

HurtinMinorKey
03-07-2017, 11:45 AM
I think we are supposed to add water.

paul_guyet
03-07-2017, 02:43 PM
I think we are supposed to add water.

Holy. Fuck. Could you iMAGINE that mess.

razzletiger
03-07-2017, 05:04 PM
I haven't posted on ETS is nine million years but hey! Enjoy these photos of my copy of Not the Actual Events!
http://imgur.com/a/8Ttj1

I wiped the excess pigment off of my cards with a paper towel, and it made Branches Bones look really cool. The idea of taking the art and giving it my own unique spin was quite euphoric, indeed. ;)

nuahs
03-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Received mine in Australia yesterday. Thankfully arrived in good condition.
Don't think I'll open it though as I have no direct use for the cards at this time and if it's sealed in plastic the mess will stay there.

sheepdean
03-07-2017, 06:53 PM
How many of you guys not opening it for collectibility/whatever have dealt with expired makeup before?

Enjoy your goo!

muad'nin
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
How many of you guys not opening it for collectibility/whatever have dealt with expired makeup before?

Enjoy your goo!

Thank you sheepdean for the tip-off! I was debating whether nor not to open mine, and your post has helped me to decide. :)

xolotl
03-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Oh, that's actually an excellent point even for those of us who HAVE opened it up. I've just got mine sealed away in another bag at the moment and apart from taking them out again to get photographed soon, didn't have any other plans for them. Guess I may go the route of cleaning off all the black stuff after all!

Kulerage
03-07-2017, 08:35 PM

Enjoy your goo!
I wish I ordered a second copy just for keeping it cherry.

paul_guyet
03-07-2017, 10:14 PM
I fucked around with some of my scans. Here are the more interesting ones.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16997880_10154754520779760_8164468963366507706_n.j pg?oh=a105b383d6e6a16ae507b4ae2a669679&oe=59390C85

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17190588_10154754521019760_4375558792415039749_n.j pg?oh=5769f7117ee05898577d9309275fc244&oe=5938AF5A

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17156313_10154754513829760_8035722868219673262_n.j pg?oh=81f6bae88685bd326fc3f25dbb069782&oe=5930C7AA

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17190807_10154754513849760_3676868961448307336_n.j pg?oh=e03d9ffa49e221aba9111aeca8ae79b4&oe=596889EC

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17155662_10154754513854760_8909579700514242322_n.j pg?oh=9c39c00019f66f1f8a1c17dcf6868d67&oe=592AAECC

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16998683_10154754527934760_3996174228440189116_n.j pg?oh=5bb93c3985d7ba14daa9f931c0e39eaa&oe=592CE672

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16938621_10154754520824760_4435958459340052232_n.j pg?oh=02e12cd6fc4373695c407ac2b00cfbd3&oe=596EA241

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17191167_10154754522629760_7623561538995587942_n.j pg?oh=aadb610b41ed86976689aa30d8f99f97&oe=593A1142

eversonpoe
03-07-2017, 11:11 PM
I mean, it kind of (completely) dulled my excitement for it. I'm sad I couldn't really enjoy the opening of it. But I have it, so that's all that really matters.

i know, boo, i was just giving you a hard time. i'm really sorry that it ruined the experience for you because it's really a cool and unique accompaniment to the music. maybe when a bit of time has passed, you'll be able to look at them with enjoyment...euphoria, even? ;)

Lerxto
03-07-2017, 11:44 PM
Here's mine:

1) The whole set
https://68.media.tumblr.com/1d598cb77f86c4023a5c88fca2927fc8/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o1_1280.jpg

2-a) TR/AR & Branches/Bones front
https://68.media.tumblr.com/5ac3a0fe8da5303e1a4f86bb5dad8917/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o2_1280.jpg

2-b) TR/AR & Branches/Bones back
https://68.media.tumblr.com/f60a7f44a2c13ffd678d0ab19efe8323/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o3_1280.jpg

3-a) Dear World, & She's Gone Away front
https://68.media.tumblr.com/4d618f3774b506b1ac6b556f5e05eab4/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o4_1280.jpg

3-b) Dear World, & She's Gone Away back
https://68.media.tumblr.com/6fd7a1d202f7ab43862c2fabb2fa16cb/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o5_1280.jpg

4-a) The Idea Of You & Burning Bright front
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b5f152c030f856eced8dbead383c6a59/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o6_1280.jpg

4-b) The Idea Of You & Burning Bright back
https://68.media.tumblr.com/f39de80c6a7385a827a1c60cc1a358f1/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o7_1280.jpg

5-a) Credits front
https://68.media.tumblr.com/03f372aece8c0dabea66bacba8aceb30/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o8_1280.jpg

5-b) Credits back
https://68.media.tumblr.com/31bcb4652323e419fbeeefa90e4f3829/tumblr_omheduFvy81uzl1e3o9_1280.jpg

tony.parente
03-08-2017, 12:05 AM
Dude your dirt is the best I've seen so far. ^

GulDukat
03-08-2017, 01:11 AM

Enjoy your goo!Keeping my copy sealed.

BRoswell
03-08-2017, 01:16 AM
I honestly don't get keeping it sealed. The contents inside are meant to be seen and experienced. If you're going to try to preserve anything, at least take the contents out and get them framed so you can enjoy them. I like the sticker and the envelope, but it's definitely not as cool as the contents inside it.

jmtd
03-08-2017, 04:40 AM
I haven't opened mine yet, but only because I haven't yet had the time to deal with the mess :) I heard some people have tried using spray "fixer" to preserve some of the black powder. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Ryan
03-08-2017, 04:59 AM
The bolded lines are what's on the lyric sheet but not sung.
Or, if they are, I can't hear it at all, please correct me if I'm wrong.

now I know for certain
shedding any
burn motherfucker

like an end
like an end
like the fucking end
like the end

Also: it's getting hard to know which side is the dream

The first and third bolded sections are included in the lyrics of the nin.com mp3 version of the song, but the second is only on the lyrics sheet in the physical component.

Thanks, added.

M1ke
03-08-2017, 06:30 AM
I haven't opened mine, mostly because I'm not sure I want to deal with the mess it's going to make. I don't usually keep things sealed, but I don't want to make a mess all over my carpet either.

Reaps
03-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Yep, keeping mine sealed till i figure the best way of framing it all.

imail724
03-08-2017, 08:15 AM
I haven't opened mine, mostly because I'm not sure I want to deal with the mess it's going to make. I don't usually keep things sealed, but I don't want to make a mess all over my carpet either.I thought the same at first but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would. Yes my hands got pretty black, but I put some paper towels on my table before opening it and all the dirt that came off was only on the paper. Nothing got on the table/carpet/my legs.

Ryan
03-08-2017, 01:34 PM
I haven't opened mine, mostly because I'm not sure I want to deal with the mess it's going to make. I don't usually keep things sealed, but I don't want to make a mess all over my carpet either.

Just put on latex gloves and open it outside then. Easy.

Halo Infinity
03-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Dude your dirt is the best I've seen so far. ^
For some reason, I didn't think of the word dirt to describe the powder or dust, which in turn reminded me of the "My empire of dirt." lyric from Hurt. I know that this is more of a Random NIN Thoughts type of post, but you saying that got me thinking about that particular line. It also reminded me about "The ashes and debris." from Non-Entity and the "Peel off our skin, we're gonna burn what we were to the ground. Fuck in the fire and we'll spread all the ashes around." from Sunspots. (Along with any other song that refers to fire and burning.)

This certainly makes it all the more interesting, as the dirt/dust/powder has been adding to all sorts of possible interpretations concerning Not The Actual Events. Trent Reznor has certainly done it again.

kevinbeetle
03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
My Empire of Dust

https://goo.gl/photos/XkVVSxvq3jS6CEME6

Destruct26
03-08-2017, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=paul_guyet;345469]I fucked around with some of my scans. Here are the more interesting ones.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17190588_10154754521019760_4375558792415039749_n.j pg?oh=5769f7117ee05898577d9309275fc244&oe=5938AF5A

Dude. Are those lyrics smudges on the right side from The Downward Spiral? If so- that's fucking cool as shit.

implanted_microchip
03-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Destruct26 yes, the Reptile lyrics on the She's Gone Away sheets is actually an overlay of the lyric sheets from TDS, complete with remants of the artwork and all.

Destruct26
03-08-2017, 10:54 PM
@Destruct26 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4049) yes, the Reptile lyrics on the She's Gone Away sheets is actually an overlay of the lyric sheets from TDS, complete with remants of the artwork and all.

I knew about the reptile lyrics- those are on the left; i was speaking of the smudged lyrics on the RIGHT which look like the lyrics of the song 'The downward spiral' you can make them out a little bit.

implanted_microchip
03-08-2017, 11:02 PM
I knew about the reptile lyrics- those are on the left; i was speaking of the smudged lyrics on the RIGHT which look like the lyrics of the song 'The downward spiral' you can make them out a little bit.
I'm aware of that and it's what I was saying, sorry if I fumbled my words. It looks like a direct scan from that page of the booklet.

Destruct26
03-08-2017, 11:05 PM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/22984036e0cd3a236489ebbd2bb7b4ab/tumblr_omj7c1hs501rv98hgo1_1280.jpg
I'm aware of that and it's what I was saying, sorry if I fumbled my words. It looks like a direct scan from that page of the booklet.

Yeah thats def. a direct scan. Cool shit- can't wait to get mine!!

bwary
03-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Yeah thats def. a direct scan. Cool shit- can't wait to get mine!!
Its a scan from DE booklet... See http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4296-Not-The-Actual-Events?p=345092#post345092

[parasite]
03-09-2017, 04:14 AM
ok, my 2nd came today, but it was the same as my 1st one so i'll not bother posting more pics, so i guess i have a swap available, if anyone has a duplicate of a different set?!

bwary
03-09-2017, 05:22 AM
I wish I had one of those crime lab computers that does pattern matching so I could find out what part of the TDS cover artwork the Dear World background is! I'm pretty sure it's part of the TDS cover/back cover (vs. a similar rehash). I've looked and looked at the zoomed in close ups from Robs re-photographing (available here (http://portraitofdecay.net/tds.nin.com/)), but I'm not able to definitively match the markers. Maybe someone else will spot it.

paul_guyet
03-09-2017, 08:46 AM
I wish I had one of those crime lab computers that does pattern matching so I could find out what part of the TDS cover artwork the Dear World background is! I'm pretty sure it's part of the TDS cover/back cover (vs. a similar rehash). I've looked and looked at the zoomed in close ups from Robs re-photographing (available here (http://portraitofdecay.net/tds.nin.com/)), but I'm not able to definitively match the markers. Maybe someone else will spot it.

Interesting thought. I had the understanding that "She's Gone Away" was the only track based on another.

Twiggy
03-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Still waiting for my one in Barcelona, Spain to arrive.
I wonder if there is just a back log...

finality893
03-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Enjoy your goo!

So, you mention "goo". That is what I got sort of. While many received dust, mine is cakey clumps that need to be scraped off. When opening the envelope, the cards needed to be pryed out. lots of cakey debris inside. Looks like craters in the envelope from fluid drops on the dust. At first I attributed it to being in hot, humid Florida, then I saw the fluid marks.

I did order 2 sets, 1 within the first hour of availability, another in late January when it came back for sale. Both arrived the same day at 2 separate addresses.

GentlemanLoser
03-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I might not be from the TDS artwork, it might just be photograph of gauze. Or perhaps gauze from a different Russell Mills artwork (I think some of the work from Cargo in the Blood might have incorporated gauze)

paul_guyet
03-09-2017, 02:16 PM
I might not be from the TDS artwork, it might just be photograph of gauze. Or perhaps gauze from a different Russell Mills artwork (I think some of the work from Cargo in the Blood might have incorporated gauze)
If you're talking about the "She's Gone Away" sheet than it is 100% from the DE version of TDS.

GentlemanLoser
03-09-2017, 02:55 PM
If you're talking about the "She's Gone Away" sheet than it is 100% from the DE version of TDS.

No I was referring to this message:

"I wish I had one of those crime lab computers that does pattern matching so I could find out what part of the TDS cover artwork the Dear World background is! I'm pretty sure it's part of the TDS cover/back cover (vs. a similar rehash). I've looked and looked at the zoomed in close ups from Robs re-photographing (available here), but I'm not able to definitively match the markers. Maybe someone else will spot it."

...But didn't apparently remember to hit "Reply by quote"

Silent_Schema
03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Got mine today, what an awesome work of art!
Will frame them all, and I'm going to try leaving the dirt on them, they're much more interesting that way!

I got the violet credits card, the logo in the back is really faint, but I realized you can see it much better if you put a strong light behind it.

implanted_microchip
03-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Because of @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350)'s post about expired makeup I went and opened my second one. Wish i hadn't, but ah well. Exact same set aside from my Burning Bright card which is the lamest one (standard black and white, no 3D colors, no blocked out text) instead of the red and black the other came with. All cards are black and white except for the red and blue She's Gone Away and the purple credits card. Really wanted a green or blue card. It also seemed way dirtier than the first for whatever reason. Might be open to trading with somebody else's set that has the blue Branches_Bones or the green Dear World if they're interested since I planned on framing all of the cards together but it'd look pretty shitty having almost all of them being identical anyway.

vivisection13
03-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Ordered 2 and received 2 different sets. ��������

SuperNINtendo Chalmers
03-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Got mine today, love it, thank you Trent-an! I don't feel like getting that shit all over my fingers again at the moment, but I gots purple, couple b&ws, green & blue I think? Great experience, all you NINnies on a preservation kick are missing out on a dirty good time! You know, you could just buy a black envelope and seal it in plastic...

Disassociative
03-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Mine showed up - going to get same frames to store them in tomorrow or something. I'll open it and take pictures if there's any variance from what's been shared so far.

GulDukat
03-10-2017, 07:12 AM
I honestly don't get keeping it sealed. The contents inside are meant to be seen and experienced. If you're going to try to preserve anything, at least take the contents out and get them framed so you can enjoy them. I like the sticker and the envelope, but it's definitely not as cool as the contents inside it.Nah. I want my copy in mint condition. Sealed, forever.

Jon
03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
So, you mention "goo". That is what I got sort of. While many received dust, mine is cakey clumps that need to be scraped off. When opening the envelope, the cards needed to be pryed out. lots of cakey debris inside. Looks like craters in the envelope from fluid drops on the dust. At first I attributed it to being in hot, humid Florida, then I saw the fluid marks.

Was it clumpy like this:

http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/02_dear_world/white_fr_08.jpg

[parasite]
03-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Was it clumpy like this:

that looks awesome!!

Jon
03-10-2017, 07:46 AM
that looks awesome!!

It's from the archive (http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/) that xolotl put together. There's a few other ones on there that are nice and clumpy.

imail724
03-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Apart from custom framing, does anyone know if they make some kind of frame that could hold all 6 of these in individual panels? Something like this I guess but with the right number of panels and the correct dimensions?
https://img.michaels.com/L6/3/IOGLO/822468883/180349272/10410089.jpg?fit=inside%7C1024:1024
What do you people who plan on framing plan on doing? Really not looking to clutter my already overcrowded wallspace with 6 more frames.

eversonpoe
03-10-2017, 08:58 AM
put mine in 8x10" float frames and they look great. haven't gotten them up on the wall yet but i will post a picture as soon as i do.

these are what i got. cheap but effective and perfect for the prints. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8x10-Float-Frame-Set-of-6/34456372)

Jon
03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
put mine in 8x10" float frames and they look great. haven't gotten them up on the wall yet but i will post a picture as soon as i do.

these are what i got. cheap but effective and perfect for the prints. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8x10-Float-Frame-Set-of-6/34456372)

I was looking at those exact ones in-store and wondering how they'd work. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryan
03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Here you go, bitches:

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/1.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/2.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/3.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/4.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/5.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/6.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/7.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/8.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/9.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/10.jpg

Ryan
03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
More, bitches:

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/11.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/12.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/13.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/14.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/15.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/16.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/17.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/18.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/19.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/20.jpg

Ryan
03-10-2017, 04:23 PM
The rest, bitches:

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/21.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/22.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/23.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/24.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/25.jpg

http://www.ryan-s.org/ntae_pc/26.jpg

InvitingmeAway
03-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Love this package, pretty interesting idea and it makes a great addition to the overall album experience. I m especially love how She's Gone Away has the lyrics from Reptile within it.

Ryan
03-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Love this package, pretty interesting idea and it makes a great addition to the overall album experience. I m especially love how She's Gone Away has the lyrics from Reptile within it.

Perhaps it symbolises the bitch he was talking about in Reptile died?

tony.parente
03-10-2017, 10:39 PM
I hated the idea of individual frames for the cards as it was intended to be viewed as one piece, so I went to hobby lobby (I know) and picked up one of those double glass frames and a large piece of semi transparent paper and threw this together. I'm happy enough with the result, and I was able to get some dirt smudged on the paper.

https://i.imgur.com/VgII0Jbh.jpg

Ryan
03-11-2017, 03:16 AM
I hated the idea of individual frames for the cards as it was intended to be viewed as one piece, so I went to hobby lobby (I know) and picked up one of those double glass frames and a large piece of semi transparent paper and threw this together. I'm happy enough with the result, and I was able to get some dirt smudged on the paper.

Not The Actual Way To Frame

eversonpoe
03-11-2017, 10:41 AM
I was looking at those exact ones in-store and wondering how they'd work. Thanks for the heads up.

well, i'd say they work GREAT!

http://68.media.tumblr.com/b181b00ad16a402fd820fe63319edb19/tumblr_omnrh1zuoP1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

kraw
03-11-2017, 11:32 AM

http://68.media.tumblr.com/b181b00ad16a402fd820fe63319edb19/tumblr_omnrh1zuoP1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

Love this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tony.parente
03-11-2017, 11:58 AM

DON'T YOU FACEPALM ME.

I just didn't like the idea of having 6 different frames for this thing, plus I couldn't think of a place for all of them.

sick among the pure
03-11-2017, 01:23 PM

They look awesome in floating frames. I just wish it was a set of 7, I don't know which card I would want to put the acetate print over.

Ryan
03-11-2017, 01:24 PM
don't you facepalm me.

I just didn't like the idea of having 6 different frames for this thing, plus i couldn't think of a place for all of them.

Stop making excuses and re frame them or we smack you!

Jon
03-11-2017, 02:31 PM
DON'T YOU FACEPALM ME.

I just didn't like the idea of having 6 different frames for this thing, plus I couldn't think of a place for all of them.

At least buy a second one? I got your back, bro:

http://img.hobbylobby.com/sys-master/root/h0c/h11/h00/9331353944094/hlwebsite_03_05_2017.jpg

Ryan
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Conan The Barbarian Space Suicide ManBurning Would you live with me?

https://s21.postimg.org/6t7ubgpav/IMG_2198.jpg

myrdd79
03-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Put my x-ray part into a customised lightbox. Still not sure how to display other parts though:

https://s16.postimg.org/7h92auer9/IMG0981.jpg

HurtinMinorKey
03-11-2017, 07:51 PM
I think I'm going to use the cards, water, the gunk, and acrylic paint on a canvas to see if I can make something cool. Do people think the cards will bleed their color if I wet them?

Perhaps I'm being foolish. But what the hell, I might as well.

bwary
03-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I wish I had one of those crime lab computers that does pattern matching so I could find out what part of the TDS cover artwork the Dear World background is! I'm pretty sure it's part of the TDS cover/back cover (vs. a similar rehash). I've looked and looked at the zoomed in close ups from Rob's re-photographing (available here (http://www.portraitofdecay.net/tds.nin.com/)), but I'm not able to definitively match the markers. Maybe someone else will spot it.

Interesting thought. I had the understanding that "She's Gone Away" was the only track based on another.

I might not be from the TDS artwork, it might just be photograph of gauze. Or perhaps gauze from a different Russell Mills artwork (I think some of the work from Cargo in the Blood might have incorporated gauze) @paul_guyet (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=261) I'm definitely not inferring that Dear World is a track based on, or in direct reference to, a previous one such as the She's Gone Away/Reptile connection. @GentlemanLoser (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1003) The similarity between the closeups Rob gave us of Wound, Mill's piece used for the cover of TDS, and that used in printing the Dear World sheet, are way too remarkable to be anything else, in my opinion. Although the single area of Wound that is zoomed in on for Dear World may not match up with the quickly available photographs of Rob's, this certainly does not eliminate that the image in Dear World is not, in fact, a zoomed in area of Wound. If we had the entire piece to look at in that kind of quality, maybe more of us would notice the exact area quicker. Who knows, maybe we'll quickly see it in @kraw (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=274) 's remastered artwork for the Definitive Edition.

ManBurning
03-11-2017, 11:52 PM
@Conan The Barbarian (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=498) @Space Suicide (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=532) @ManBurning (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=33) Would you live with me?

Love to! Always wanted to live in Australia! get me away from this shitty weather... I think I have the worst weather out of everyone mentioned here, lol.

EndlessLoveless
03-12-2017, 10:38 AM
I finally opened mine this morn. Very cool. Black credits card, no logo or halo, 3D burning bright, medium dust. Blue branches/bones dark she's gone away. Everything else is white ish paper with black letters. Played album while I opened. Wish I had the nin and halo designation. But, glad I finally opened.

Edit- it was very spur of the moment. I was just going to leave it sealed but i thought, why the fuck am I holding this? I would never sell it. Might as well do with it what TR intended.

Ryan
03-12-2017, 04:40 PM
I finally opened mine this morn. Very cool. Black credits card, no logo or halo, 3D burning bright, medium dust. Blue branches/bones dark she's gone away. Everything else is white ish paper with black letters. Played album while I opened. Wish I had the nin and halo designation. But, glad I finally opened.

Edit- it was very spur of the moment. I was just going to leave it sealed but i thought, why the fuck am I holding this? I would never sell it. Might as well do with it what TR intended.

You sure it's not on there [the halo designation] at all? Look at the back of the credits one in direct sunlight, you ought to faintly see it...

Ryan
03-12-2017, 04:50 PM
I got my two copies in today, I'm leaving one sealed (for now, though I'll likely cave and open it to see what versions are in it soon because these things fascinate me). This is, without a doubt, the coolest thing they've ever released physically speaking.

http://imgur.com/7LYWJBk

Most notably, my credits card has no logo or halo designation on the back and is purple with white text:
http://i.imgur.com/NifPVnE.jpg

I'm in love.

Are we sure the halo designation isn't hidden elsewhere on this variant? I bet it is. Try holding it directly up to the sun or something like Bowie's Blackstar and it might be similar to the heat effect that appears with the stars on the vinyl version.

Ryan
03-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Put my x-ray part into a customised lightbox. Still not sure how to display other parts though:

https://s16.postimg.org/7h92auer9/IMG0981.jpg

Now that's fucking sweet.

NotoriousTIMP
03-12-2017, 04:54 PM

Screw the haters, I love the way this turned out!

implanted_microchip
03-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Are we sure the halo designation isn't hidden elsewhere on this variant? I bet it is. Try holding it directly up to the sun or something like Bowie's Blackstar and it might be similar to the heat effect that appears with the stars on the vinyl version.
It actually has it and I was just being blind. It is barely visible, but it's there.

Ryan
03-12-2017, 05:01 PM
It actually has it and I was just being blind. It is barely visible, but it's there.

Pics plaze.

patj825
03-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Just opened mine today. NIN logo was on the back of the album credit card, near the top. It was hard to see. Had to tilt the card and get it in the right light. I think the halo number is there too. Photos below.

http://imgur.com/a/T0LoR

dlb
03-13-2017, 08:35 AM

Really love this! Great display there! :)

eversonpoe
03-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Really love this! Great display there! :)

thanks! you can't tell in the pictures but that's right above my two big vinyl cabinets. there's a picture in the vinyl collectors unite thread where you can see it all.

the more i look at these up there, the more i love them. i'm really glad we just re-arranged our furniture a bit and ended up with this perfect spot to display these.

patj825
03-13-2017, 12:35 PM
This may have been mentioned already (or noticed). It appears that there are no real "sets" of cards (maybe only for the all black/white ones?). There are different color versions of each card, but it looks like they are randomly grouped together.

These 2 sets have the Red with blue type She's Gone card, but different versions of the Burning Bright card. It's cool that there are many collections out there.

http://imgur.com/a/T0LoR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDg3AUcrmc0Qhd_tl3ARoSnaK3U7vFihp_rvtEf_XNFx-AF5EEJlXZ20ubSyOw7Q?key=VVJuTDhxZTFPS1B5dDdHZWZrVk kwa1JYUVVNMVVB

alfonso99
03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Has anyone that has bought several PCs tried to put them one next to the other just to see if they form a pattern? like a NIN puzzle.

the duder
03-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Just received my physical component (was down in the Keys last week with the in-laws) and must say I was, and still am, very shocked at how much I love this concept. My reaction stream went a little like this: what the actual fuck; woah; I can't stop looking at this/playing with this/thinking about this/smudging this/highlighting lyrics with soot/thinking about how to frame or display this. About a half hour later, I put it all back into the envelope and on to my workbench in the garage until I can think of a way to matte & frame this.

Since then, I couldn't help but think of how well it fits my take of NTAE. I want to frame this ugly, smudged up thing to hang on the wall. People will probably ask me about it, and I'll be all giddy as I espouse my NIN fandom. My perception of the actual events (opening up a package of random lyrics cards and an x-ray of two dudes packaged in an envelope topped with black toner powder) will totally not be understood by anyone I try to explain it to.

Brilliant.

paul_guyet
03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
dear world, 2 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17352014_10154783605734760_814076742422638699_n.jp g?oh=eac63f5c974006d556f6b313d2cc46e0&oe=596F74DA

dear world, 2 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/q83/s960x960/17239651_10154783605504760_5576611697823812449_o.j pg?oh=c1aace69901350dbf5e3d4cb2c0e6efb&oe=592BEADA

burning bright 3 front
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17353406_10154783605424760_6484495285389911701_n.j pg?oh=4f404b04b0865e88294e4d330642cfb2&oe=595C48E1

burning bright 3 back
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17309865_10154783605489760_5885991490729783969_n.j pg?oh=f3874d3dcf3ed7274c5c6a3805a5ce23&oe=5964C099

I hadn't been able to see the lyrics crowded over on the left side until this version of "Burning Bright". These things are so fucking cool.

patj825
03-16-2017, 01:24 PM
I hadn't been able to see the lyrics crowded over on the left side until this version of "Burning Bright". These things are so fucking cool.

Oh! Cool. Are those Burning Bright lyrics too?

paul_guyet
03-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Oh! Cool. Are those Burning Bright lyrics too?
Yup, all sort of crammed into the space.

paul_guyet
03-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Sooooo...long story short: as I kid, I collected this one series of Marvel cards in which every set of nine formed a huge panel with each of the heroes/villains in it. It was awesome. Whenever I was missing just fucking one card, it killed me a little.
That said: I'm looking to acquire some specific NTAE lyrics sheets and would be willing to trade for them.
Namely: black on green "Dear World,"
Red on blue "The Idea of You"
Black on white credits page

Anyone interested, please drop me a PM.

Much thanks!

[parasite]
03-18-2017, 07:08 AM
Sooooo...long story short: as I kid, I collected this one series of Marvel cards in which every set of nine formed a huge panel with each of the heroes/villains in it. It was awesome. Whenever I was missing just fucking one card, it killed me a little.
That said: I'm looking to acquire some specific NTAE lyrics sheets and would be willing to trade for them.
Namely: black on green "Dear World,"
Red on blue "The Idea of You"
Black on white credits page

Anyone interested, please drop me a PM.

Much thanks!

are you trading or wanting the ones in your post?

paul_guyet
03-18-2017, 08:25 AM
are you trading or wanting the ones in your post?

Sorry about that. Looking to acquire those three.

[parasite]
03-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Sorry about that. Looking to acquire those three.

damn, me too!

streetman
03-21-2017, 12:14 AM
Did anyone figure out how to open the envelope with the most minimum amount of damage? Haven't opened it yet and want to make sure I can display the envelope as well.

Ryan
03-21-2017, 01:30 AM
Did anyone figure out how to open the envelope with the most minimum amount of damage? Haven't opened it yet and want to make sure I can display the envelope as well.

I think it's meant to be damaged when opened like that Fight Club vinyl recently released. Actions have consequences and all that stuff.

streetman
03-21-2017, 01:41 AM
I think it's meant to be damaged when opened like that Fight Club vinyl recently released. Actions have consequences and all that stuff.

Haha I think that's definitely the idea. I need to pick a quiet day and prepare to get dirty lol

[parasite]
03-21-2017, 03:11 AM

i got a very sharp blade and cut along the line of the label so cutting through the flap of the envelope, if you do this way be very careful not to cut too deep

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170321/3b4b5d184112ad1758aa692228eeb381.jpg

xolotl
03-21-2017, 08:50 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Letter_opener

I don't actually have one myself, but any small knife/scissors would do the trick. Just cut open the top of the envelope. Leaves the sticker entirely intact.

patj825
03-21-2017, 10:53 AM

I used a letter opener along the top edge. That way, the sticker is left whole.

Jon
03-21-2017, 05:47 PM
I placed a pair of scissors exactly on the crease of the flap, then cut ever so slightly below that so the opened part was not exactly on the top. This leaves a little bend so that your powder doesn't just pour out of the top if you happen to shift the envelope with the contents still inside. A perfectly straight cut/opening could end up being a detriment. The sticker stays clean as well.

http://i63.tinypic.com/10dedmp.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/209g1av.jpg

patj825
03-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Has anyone actually used the black, organic makeup on their face, yet? That would be a cool thing to wear to shows.

tremolo
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Not sure if i'm late, but it's easy to peel off the sticker without ruining it.

Peel off one corner very carefully, just enough so you have enough to pick it with your fingers, and then slowly blow your breath on the back of the sticker (where the sticker and the envelope meet) as you SLOWLY peel it off. The moisture of your breath will help loosen the glue/stickiness, making it less likely to tear.

You could do this using vapor (a kettle, water boiler), but that might be toomuch moisture and might ruin the envelope and the cards. Your breath gives u more control.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Stereo75
03-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Finally got mine yesterday. Opened it @ work to minimize the mess. Used a metal straightedge & utility knife to cut a thin strip off of the right side (when looking @ the sticker) of the plastic & through the envelope. Mucked the cards up for a while & gave them a double coat of clear lacquer. Blasted out the envelope with compressed air. No fuss, no muss when you want to look at them. The cards are definitely going in a frame. Found a brushed aluminum/glass cabinet door at work that will fit all 6 cards, with the transparency going over the (pink & purple) credits card. Gonna silicone a backing on. Should look great when it's done. This is cool stuff.

streetman
03-22-2017, 07:04 PM
I placed a pair of scissors exactly on the crease of the flap, then cut ever so slightly below that so the opened part was not exactly on the top. This leaves a little bend so that your powder doesn't just pour out of the top if you happen to shift the envelope with the contents still inside. A perfectly straight cut/opening could end up being a detriment. The sticker stays clean as well.

http://i63.tinypic.com/10dedmp.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/209g1av.jpg

I don't know, I feel like you really have to break that seal otherwise it defeats the purpose. I'm sure there's a way to slowly open it while still keeping the words intact once broken.

kel
03-22-2017, 07:51 PM
agreed. i used an exact-o knife for the seal and the envelope adhesive. worked great.

Jon
03-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Seriously guys? I'm sorry I did not open the envelope in a more crowd-pleasing way.

ninlive
03-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Finally got mine yesterday. Opened it @ work to minimize the mess. Used a metal straightedge & utility knife to cut a thin strip off of the right side (when looking @ the sticker) of the plastic & through the envelope. Mucked the cards up for a while & gave them a double coat of clear lacquer. Blasted out the envelope with compressed air. No fuss, no muss when you want to look at them. The cards are definitely going in a frame. Found a brushed aluminum/glass cabinet door at work that will fit all 6 cards, with the transparency going over the (pink & purple) credits card. Gonna silicone a backing on. Should look great when it's done. This is cool stuff.

What did you use to seal them?

paul_guyet
03-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Branches/Bones 3

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17264894_10154809531729760_7248801216614145548_n.j pg?oh=99dfe9f70bce57b1596768c48201e91d&oe=5961AF04

She's Gone Away 3 (front)

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17498697_10154809531734760_3579348246662119297_n.j pg?oh=e32c0b25942abe2ea52b565714ce75af&oe=596E8F80

She's Gone Away 3 (back)

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17458407_10154809531539760_4964641843647186172_n.j pg?oh=2538fdb793574e21611d0bd98cfd326c&oe=5956D8B4

xolotl
03-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Branches/Bones 3

Oh nice - so those are the couple variations on each that we hadn't seen yet? Sure looks like it to me, unless you'd done some processing on 'em to confuse us all. :)

paul_guyet
03-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Oh nice - so those are the couple variations on each that we hadn't seen yet? Sure looks like it to me, unless you'd done some processing on 'em to confuse us all. :)
Nope, those are the missing pieces. That "Branches/Bones" one is fucking insane.

xolotl
03-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Nope, those are the missing pieces. That "Branches/Bones" one is fucking insane.

Seriously! Well done. How many of those things did you order, anyway? :)

paul_guyet
03-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Seriously! Well done. How many of those things did you order, anyway? :) ...I'd rather not say...

finality893
03-25-2017, 01:38 AM
Was it clumpy like this:

I'm sorry for delay in response. Similar, but not nearly that much, maybe 5-7 "drops". My envelope the side with with the fold over, was coated but looked like craters, almost as if it were fine sand with water drop marks. I guess that describes it best

Stereo75
03-26-2017, 01:58 PM
What did you use to seal them?

It was just some off the shelf spray lacquer that we had kicking around the shop at work. Make multiple light coats. I think an acrylic clear spray would be best, as it doesn't smell as bad.