PDA

View Full Version : The Last of Us

NIN64
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
New game from Naughty Dog. Looks like some sort of action/horror. With Naughty Dog's track record as of recent, I'll certainly keep my eye on this one!

http://youtu.be/rWzcYbtZQrk

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Between this and I Am Alive, I'd say we have a couple of really slick survival games on the way.

Space Suicide
12-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Is it sad the only games by Naughty Dog I cared for were the 90's Crash Bandicoot games? Uncharted is so massively overrated it isn't even funny.

liquidcalm
12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Is it sad the only games by Naughty Dog I cared for were the 90's Crash Bandicoot games? Uncharted is so massively overrated it isn't even funny.

The first Jak and Daxter game was pretty damn fun, if not as good as Crash Bandicoot 2 (my personal fav) and Uncharted 2, which (while I really liked 3) pretty much wipes the floor with any other 'cinematic' game of its ilk. Tight gunplay, a decent plot that only goes batshit stupid a couple of times and enough character to make up for the glut of generic military shooters and drab settings.. I don't think you could call it over-rated at all. It does exactly what it set out to do and still looks jawdropping in places. The first one is pretty great but a little sparse when compared to the sequels and the third one relies a little too much on cinematic and set pieces.

Seeing Naughty Dog do a survival action game should be very interesting, what I really don't want it to be is Uncharted with zombie spore monsters... They covered that in Uncharted 1..

Wretchedest
12-11-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know that I'd call the gunplay in Uncharted "tight," I mean it does what its supposed to do, but It's never interesting, and the hit feedback is godawful. Those games are so boring it drives me crazy.

As for this, well... I'd say it's really early to judge. I feel like people have been riding the hype train on this one since its announcement. The information to excitement ratio when combined with uncharted's reviews make me wonder how much Naughty Dog is paying the media these days.

NIN64
06-09-2013, 06:38 AM
So it's getting great press, and it comes out Friday in US. Anyone else hyped?

liquidcalm
06-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Oh yes. Can't wait.
Skimmed a few reviews and it seems to be hitting high marks all around. It just looks like a story that is worth experiencing.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Definitely! I really wanted this to go on my list of games to buy on day 1, but finances aren't quite allowing that. (I'd much rather spend my money on tickets to NIN, sorry, Naughty Dog.) I'll be renting this bad boy before work on Friday.

For what it's worth, Uncharted had more of a light-hearted and comical feel to it. It doesn't feel like we'll have any of that here, in a good way. I think they're trying their hand at making a more "serious" game this time around, and from what I hear, they've succeeded.

Space Suicide
06-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I'll get in many, many, many months later

bruised
06-09-2013, 01:41 PM
So it's getting great press, and it comes out Friday in US. Anyone else hyped?
ont know how to say this but, YES!

Jinsai
06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't understand how people couldn't love Uncharted 2. That game was pretty much perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned.

I've been tempted to download the demo w/ my copy of God of War Ascension, but I think I'm just going to hold off since I'm pretty positive I'll be buying this on day one.

Jinsai
06-14-2013, 02:46 PM
a few hours in and it's incredible so far. Been playing offline to avoid the autosaving glitch that I read about (even though it's apparently fixed now). They were having an event at the store I picked it up at where a bunch of the team from Naughty Dog were there signing posters for it. Nice people.

Conan The Barbarian
06-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Just picked this up, on my way home. Let's do this.

Gamer tag is same as my Xbox live name. Cubanmislcrysis

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wretchedest
06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't understand how people couldn't love Uncharted 2. That game was pretty much perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned.

I've been tempted to download the demo w/ my copy of God of War Ascension, but I think I'm just going to hold off since I'm pretty positive I'll be buying this on day one.

The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out. The game is built to take you from one set piece to the next. Thats it. And the gameplay doesnt set itself apart.

It essentially does the bare minimum in order to be playable. It has perfected aspects of that, and it has great graphics but I actually never understood why people like those games so much...

Space Suicide
06-14-2013, 03:17 PM
The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out. The game is built to take you from one set piece to the next. Thats it. And the gameplay doesnt set itself apart.

It essentially does the bare minimum in order to be playable. It has perfected aspects of that, and it has great graphics but I actually never understood why people like those games so much...

I laugh at my initial reply in this thread BUT I do still think the series is overrated to a degree. They are well made and can be fun, if on the right day, but it is a great action-adventure game. I don't classify as a true third-person shooter as some. I like the first game's use of weaponry as it was needed to fend off enemies and survive along. 2 and 3 relied more on gunfights to move the game along.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I was so fucking butthurt this morning! I went to Hastings to rent this before work, but didn't even see it on the shelf yet...So I thought "eh, whatever," and walked out. I got to my car, then I called the store real quick to ask if they even had it available (I was feeling lazy and didn't wanna walk back across the parking lot, heh), and the guy says "Yeah, we only have one left." What the fuck?? So I go back inside, literally after like, 2 minutes, and there are three empty rental slots for The Last of Us sitting right there in their new home. Thanks for taking your sweet time and not having the games available at open, Hastings.

I GUESS I'll play one of the other 50 games I have digitally that I have yet to play, and continue beasting through Bioshock: Infinite's 1999 Mode. :P

SOON.

liquidcalm
06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Played a good couple of hours this evening.
It is intense. It's basically the anti-Uncharted.

Wretchedest
06-15-2013, 01:53 AM
it's pretty good so far. dripping with flavor, of course. Kotaku recommended that people play on hard, so I'm doing that, and I can see why. Supplies are so much more abundant on normal...

The little girl can be really annoying sometimes. She often gets in your way, even when there isn't a battle! I wish they had found some kind of fix for this. Like making her hide under a desk. She's invincible anyway, so they might as well give her an excuse not to be seen during battle, she single handedly kills the mood during those sections. and I wish there was a dedicated cover button, because it's hard to tell when you are "in cover" in the official sense.

Still, it's working out so far.

R-Dot-Yung
06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
I really haven't made any time to play any games over the past year and a half, but I REALLY wanna play this game, I have to just cut out a 15 hour block somewhere and go IN.

sa_nick
06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out.

Geez... What game characters DO you like then? One of the biggest draws on Uncharted is it's awesome characters. I've never seen characters so well written, performed and animated.

Just finished my second 5 hour stint of Last of Us, tomorrow's session should be enough to have it finished (the first run anyways).

I went with Medium for my first playthough and yeah, it's crazy how many supplies there are. I find myself maxed out with them all the time and unable to make any more supplies. I assume the weapon/character upgrade amounts are the same on all difficulties? Maybe not though...

Piko
06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Only a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it a great deal. Very hectic. How resident evil should be.

liquidcalm
06-15-2013, 12:24 PM
sooo.. It picks up a lot once you leave Boston. I thought the intro was pretty slow (with some great moments)

However once thing so far has caught me off guard: A 'boss' fight against the 'bloater'? Felt.. un-necessary, and the guy is lobbing shit at you? hmmm.. I'm not much further than that right now.

Wretchedest
06-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Geez... What game characters DO you like then? One of the biggest draws on Uncharted is it's awesome characters. I've never seen characters so well written, performed and animated.

Just finished my second 5 hour stint of Last of Us, tomorrow's session should be enough to have it finished (the first run anyways).

I went with Medium for my first playthough and yeah, it's crazy how many supplies there are. I find myself maxed out with them all the time and unable to make any more supplies. I assume the weapon/character upgrade amounts are the same on all difficulties? Maybe not though...
Actually the supplies are much, much lower on hard. It actualy feels more survival horror that way. I actually hit a bump that was little too tough for me, the first major zombie encounter, and I switched to normal for a moment, and suddenly there were weapons fucking EVERYWHERE! ha! But it killed the vibe for me so I switched back.

As for Uncharted I really disagree about its characters. When I try to find depth I hit a wall. They aren't even just shallow, there's just nothing there. No motivations, no interesting backstory. nothing.

to answer what I assume is a rhetorical question:

Oliver (from Ni No Kuni)
Mordin (from Mass Effect)
Jack (From Mass Effect)
Cole in the first Infamous
Almost every character in Persona 4. That is a very well written game
Jason Brody (Far Cry 3)
Wei Shen (Sleeping Dogs)

I think each of those characters has a lot of depth and substance. Most of them are pretty relatable, or at least you can understand what motivates or drives them.

sa_nick
06-16-2013, 01:37 PM
That's a decent list of characters. They're all good on paper but i when I'm playing any of those games the characters shout "I'm a video game character!", whereas the Uncharted gang feel much more human and real. There is a lack of motivation and questions about why Drake is fine with being a mass murderer but i can forgive that because it's kinda him or them. Did you play Uncharted 3? That starts getting into the background of the characters. Some people weren't keen on it but I really dug it.

I've seen a lot of Mass Effect gameplay but it never interested me enough to make me wanna play it... maybe it's time i gave it a shot.

Clownboat
06-16-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm impossibly in love with this game.

Piko
06-16-2013, 04:29 PM
sooo.. It picks up a lot once you leave Boston. I thought the intro was pretty slow (with some great moments)

However once thing so far has caught me off guard: A 'boss' fight against the 'bloater'? Felt.. un-necessary, and the guy is lobbing shit at you? hmmm.. I'm not much further than that right now.

Bloaters suck. I'm stuck in Pittsburgh. Can't find the card key, and when I turn on a generator, I get bombarded by a Bloater and a couple infected (I think?). Next try, I'm just going to try running.

dominik
06-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Anyone got the Joel/Ellie Edition? Are the 20 bucks more worth it?

Ash512
06-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Just finished it.
Simply amazed. It's pretty much what The Walking Dead could have been if it wasn't a point & click, and what I am alive could have been if it didn't suck.

Really engaging. I'm sorry but Ellie didn't annoy me at all... After a while, its obvious that she really is the main character in the game... the most lovable one anyway

I'm eager to play the upcoming DLC.

liquidcalm
06-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Bloaters suck. I'm stuck in Pittsburgh. Can't find the card key, and when I turn on a generator, I get bombarded by a Bloater and a couple infected (I think?). Next try, I'm just going to try running.

I just got past that part. Don't turn on the generator, explore the upstairs first, theres a few runners but nothing bad. The card key is in the security room in the middle? I think, I found that before I realised there was a generator. When everything bursts out when you switch on the generator I already had my route planned out and legged it

Piko
06-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I just got past that part. Don't turn on the generator, explore the upstairs first, theres a few runners but nothing bad. The card key is in the security room in the middle? I think, I found that before I realised there was a generator. When everything bursts out when you switch on the generator I already had my route planned out and legged it

Took a couple tries, but I finally did it. When I finally got it, I turned on the generator, quickly ran up, got my shotgun ready and took out the runners as I turned the corner, then ran like hell.

Wretchedest
06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Im almost done and im really digging this game, but its very rough around the edges... is nobody else experiencing AI issues?. Friendlies often get in the way, occassionally enemies do a dance instead of finding cover. Theres also difficult cover issues as i mentioned before... and the waay the game defaults to your pistol, even if its empty, when you restart. Theres some serious polish problems! Kind of sad because the game coyuld have been perfect.

Piko
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Friendly AI almost always does that in every game, unfortunately. If I can to pick out a gripe, i'd say it's the cover system.

Clownboat
06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
I think I'm nearing the end. I'm in love.

Here's this, for those of you that need it. Recommended read. There are no spoilers, it's simply a list of very important and handy tips: http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-the-last-of-us-513462640

The big takeaway is to play on hard mode. Apparently New Game Plus doesn't let you up the difficulty from whichever mode you completed the game, so you'll want to end on hard.

Wretchedest
06-19-2013, 02:59 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-GLQjhhF/0/950x10000/i-GLQjhhF-950x10000.jpg

[carbon]
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I just finished it. I completely fell in love. And the soundtrack is pretty stellar.

BrokenSpiral
06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Just finished it as well. So damn good. Very engaging story.

The ending though, not a fan.

liquidcalm
06-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Just finished it. Phew. No way would I be able to manage that on hard...
Those perfect scores and raving reviews.. They are pretty much right. No game is perfect, and there are a few niggles and bugs with ai and such, but the ultimate impact is not spoiled by any of them.

loved the ending too.

and also Nolan north as David. The whole section in the snow was intense, probably the highlight of the whole thing.

theburningreptile
06-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm about 2 and a half hours into this game and it is amazing. I cared about Joel right off the bat and it's actually believable that he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, you can tell he's been through a shitload without even have seen it. I felt kinda bad for Ellie though at first cause she couldn't experience the world before the infection, but she's held up pretty well. The enemies are great too, I think. Very dangerous. But you're also very dangerous so it evens out. Especially when you come up behind an enemy and choke them out or shiv another. It's my new game of the year and my favorite that I have played for the PS3. I think it's even great enough to get a PS3. I have a feeling how it's going to end though, and I'll be okay with that. It will be an incredible journey. Can't wait to get back into it.

sa_nick
06-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Just finished it. Phew. No way would I be able to manage that on hard...

That's what I was thinking, but I jumped straight from Medium to Survivor and it isn't tooooo bad. You just need to use stealth in every situation you can. It takes a lot longer, especially if you're still trying to sneak around and get items, but it's the only way to survive and keep ammo/supplies for the times your forced to fight.

Piko
06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
That's what I was thinking, but I jumped straight from Medium to Survivor and it isn't tooooo bad. You just need to use stealth in every situation you can. It takes a lot longer, especially if you're still trying to sneak around and get items, but it's the only way to survive and keep ammo/supplies for the times your forced to fight.

Stealth is the way to go. I can't imagine someone being able to gun through it.

liquidcalm
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I did go stealth most of my way through, particularly with infected, there were whole sections where you could avoid all of them, which I liked. Humans on the other hand were less than impressed with my blundering and things tended to be a series of 'oh shit he saw me' followed by a swift axe to the face (Joel or the other guy...). I took a while to learn that pressing into a wall like Metal Gear did not mean I'd get the drop on people..

Piko
06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
I felt like I had to go stealth altogether. Harder with the bandits, which made me have to really slow down and really think things through.

sa_nick
06-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Can you still use Listen Mode on Hard? I'm fine using shit all supplies on Survivor mode, it's the Listen feature I miss most.

BrokenSpiral
06-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Is anyone playing online? Is it worth the 10$ for the online pass?

Clownboat
06-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I really dig the online play. I'm pretty picky about multiplayer modes, but this one's quite good, if not something that you'd play for months. Your call on this one, bud.

If you decide to get it, make sure you play Survivors mode. There are two modes, Supply Raid and Survivors, and Survivors is simply the no-respawn version of Supply Raid. It's a lot better.

liquidcalm
06-27-2013, 07:45 AM
I really dig the online play. I'm pretty picky about multiplayer modes, but this one's quite good, if not something that you'd play for months. Your call on this one, bud.

If you decide to get it, make sure you play Survivors mode. There are two modes, Supply Raid and Survivors, and Survivors is simply the no-respawn version of Supply Raid. It's a lot better.

Totally agree. I hate online multiplayer, for me it has limited appeal unless I'm playing with someone I know really well, which sadly isn't possible most of the time. But I really got into what naughty dog have done. You basically have to work as a team, and stay hidden, move slowly and it really captures some of the tension of the single player.
i totally suck at it of course, but its very satisfying taking down someone who didn't see you until you were smacking him with a pipe with scissors taped to the end.

Conan The Barbarian
07-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Finally got this back from my brother after he pretty much hijacked it since release day.

Loving it.

My only beef is, why dont the hunters who have weapons drop ammo? I mean it would make sense.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Frozen Beach
07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
This is the first game in a long time to make me want to play it again right after I finished it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Stealth is the way to go. I can't imagine someone being able to gun through it.

Sometimes the game feels like a healthy mix of MGS levels of stealth with Uncharted gameplay and scenery from a National Geographic documentary from 20 years into the future. The best part of the stealth was genuinely feeling fear for being caught, not just thinking "Oh, shit, my dude died. Oh well, restart." I really felt like I was IN the game, and flipped out any time I was getting chased down. And the environments were really awesome, too, especially all the empty but equally-attended-to (in terms of design) rooms. They could have saved themselves time and just skipped all the mostly-empty buildings, but that's aprt of what made it feel so dire. Going out of you way to explore an area with the possibility of dying for a couple tools and a can of food, if anything at all, felt pretty...I dunno, real.

Also, the fight with Ellie and David was probably the peak moment of excitement/fear for me. I've never had my heart racing so fast as it was when I was trying to find/attack that fucker. That entire snow sequence was a rush from start to finish, and the way that chapter ended was perfect.

All in all, I think this is a zombie apocalypse story the way it should be told. I thought it was brilliant. The ending was perfect, and if they decided against doing a sequel, I'd be totally fine with that. But if they do, I'd want them to take their time with it. Seriously, I wouldn't want it until, like....early 2016. Polish that baby.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Anyone else think Hugh Jackman looks a liiittle bit like Joel in his new movie? And by a little bit, I mean he couple be a twin brother.

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/hugh-jackman-prisoners-trailer.jpg

R-Dot-Yung
01-13-2014, 07:16 PM
This was the first game I played in over a year I think (minus GTAV with my girlfriend). And it's easily in my top 5 of all time. The story incl. characters were fantastic. The world felt alive and dangerous. The combat felt like combat, bullets felt like they hurt, punches felt like I was fucking punching someone, getting bit by a clicker was terrifying.

This game is a 10 out of fucking 10.

And this article helps me articulate why - http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4548992/the-ending-of-the-last-of-us

Aladdinsanity
02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
So… has anyone played Left Behind? It's mostly exposition, but is just as moving and revelatory as any of the vital moments in the original story (perhaps even more so in terms revealing Ellie's internal struggle and personal resolve). It's also done a great job in revealing the latent homophobia and sexual repression in gamers through the surrounding discussions that are already taking place.

Naughty Dog have further solidified themselves as masters of nuance and storytelling.

Bachy
11-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, it took me a few months, but I finally beat this one and the side story "Left Behind." This was probably one of the heaviest games I've ever experienced. Lots of emotions felt while playing this.

http://i.imgur.com/DEfPd3c.jpg

As a side note, the Gone Girl soundtrack was a perfect compliment to this.

Bachy
12-03-2016, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmsgUTNLY0

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Hereee we go.

Toadflax
12-04-2019, 12:35 PM
For anyone who's interested, I co-wrote a video essay on TLOU featuring an interview with Neil Druckmann. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGlIGYcBos

ItsChrisRoss
04-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Just got an email from Best Buy saying Last Of Us Part 2 is delayed to December 31st. Hoping that’s a temporary date until things calm down. At this Point, I’d rather take a fall release than winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinsai
04-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Just got an email from Best Buy saying Last Of Us Part 2 is delayed to December 31st. Hoping that’s a temporary date until things calm down. At this Point, I’d rather take a fall release than winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Dec 31 delay dates generally (almost always) mean it's been delayed without a new release date set. This one makes sense. I've been playing Last of Us 1 on and off during this quarantine, and it's been a pretty miserable playing experience. The tone and topic and everything; maybe it's not what we need right now.

Rdm
04-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Dec 31 delay dates generally (almost always) mean it's been delayed without a new release date set. This one makes sense. I've been playing Last of Us 1 on and off during this quarantine, and it's been a pretty miserable playing experience. The tone and topic and everything; maybe it's not what we need right now.

God this hit me in the gut. The AI in this game is the smartest I’ve ever played against. Anyone have any recommendations that have AI that hunt you down at this level? The last game I played that had AI at that level was Alien isolation but games aren’t really related.
this was the game I wanted more than anything other than RE3. I was a little late to preorder my limited edition steel case from Best Buy but the weird thing was the day I ordered the game the very next day I get an email saying it’s being delayed.i also got charged for a preorder? What’s that about?

this life isn’t real it’s a simulation, it can’t be real. If it isn’t real
someone is making some crazy money from my weird stupid brain

ItsChrisRoss
04-04-2020, 12:08 PM
God this hit me in the gut.
this was the game I wanted more than anything other than RE3. I was a little late to preorder my limited edition steel case from Best Buy but the weird thing was the day I ordered the game the very next day I get an email saying it’s being delayed.i also got charged for a preorder? What’s that about?

this life isn’t real it’s a simulation, it can’t be real. If it isn’t real
someone is making some crazy money from my weird stupid brain

Same here. Was really looking forward to the game more than any other. Also yeah, preordered from Best Buy and was charged. No biggie.

On an unrelated note, I was playing SpiderMan for PS4 yesterday and got the the part when the virus was released and everyone was wearing face masks and I was like HOLY SHIT.

ItsChrisRoss
04-27-2020, 12:52 PM
New release date for part 2!! June 19th!

RJK
04-27-2020, 05:53 PM
New release date for part 2!! June 19th!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNow we just have to avoid MASSIVE spoilers for two months. [emoji17]

ItsChrisRoss
04-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Now we just have to avoid MASSIVE spoilers for two months. [emoji17]

I heard there were already massive leaks but I have no urge to search anything.

versusreality
04-27-2020, 06:46 PM
I just purchased a PS4 and the first one is one of the games I ordered as well. should be here in a week or so. I know very little about the game other than it's gotten rave reviews, so I'm going in practically blind and that's how I like it. can't wait!

ItsChrisRoss
04-27-2020, 06:47 PM
I just purchased a PS4 and the first one is one of the games I ordered as well. should be here in a week or so. I know very little about the game other than it's gotten rave reviews, so I'm going in practically blind and that's how I like it. can't wait!

You’ll love it. One of the best games I ever played. Played it for the first time last year and fell in love with it. Even for a 6 year old game, it holds up.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-07-2020, 08:17 PM
I caved and read a little and it boggles me that so many don't want to buy the game anymore, or even play it for that matter due to some big changes in the story that no one was expecting. What is even more ridiculous are the people refusing to play a game that they have been excited for and even preordered it.

The way this has all turned out for this game is fucking sad. It is one thing to make a determination of what a game and its story will give you after you actually play the game, but to base all of your opinion off of a leak you read online, (true or not) without the immersion of playing, I just don't get it. Fuck, the gaming community can be the most toxic community on this planet at times.

Piko
05-07-2020, 08:27 PM
I saw some as well. Not sure how I feel about it. I wonder how they go forward from certain events. I'll probably get it anyway to fill in the blanks probably.

Surely, they had to figure some things would get certain reactions though.

versusreality
05-07-2020, 08:27 PM
I refuse to read anything about it, but I plan to pre-order it, and I haven't even gotten around to the first one yet.

Piko
05-07-2020, 09:01 PM
I refuse to read anything about it, but I plan to pre-order it, and I haven't even gotten around to the first one yet.I didn't mean to, originally. Some was spoiled in a twitch chat. Some was spoiled in a youtube vid without warning. By that point, I caved at watched another vid. There's still plenty of plot points that I don't know.

ton
05-08-2020, 11:13 AM
I've seen the spoilers but it's honestly hard to imagine how the game is going to be without experiencing it in real-time. I'll just reserve judgment for when I get the game.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-19-2020, 06:28 AM
Welp, it's official... Currently being review bombed on metacritic with a 3.4 score. I hate this planet so much right now...

Space Suicide
06-19-2020, 03:38 PM
Welp, it's official... Currently being review bombed on metacritic with a 3.4 score. I hate this planet so much right now...

I put a lot of stock value into those 0 and 1 star reviews, let me tell ya.

I like the first game but I’m not a sycophantic mega fan of it. I find it overrated honestly. I got my copy of the special edition of Part II today. I’ll start it this weekend if I can’t manage tonight.

Wretchedest
06-20-2020, 01:40 AM
The sequel is waaaaaay better

Space Suicide
06-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Game plays great and with real time story with Abbie killing Joel kickstarting a revenge plot works well with me. I'm on Chapter 10.

Everything sounds like a knee jerk reaction online with toxic gaming community not liking what was done.

ItsChrisRoss
06-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Game plays great and with real time story with Abbie killing Joel kickstarting a revenge plot works well with me. I'm on Chapter 10.

Everything sounds like a knee jerk reaction online with toxic gaming community not liking what was done.

Hahahaha holy spoiler alerts!!! I already knew about that part because I played through it already, about 5 hours in. Just didn’t want to spoil it for anyone else.

Space Suicide
06-21-2020, 02:16 PM
Hahahaha holy spoiler alerts!!! I already knew about that part because I played through it already, about 5 hours in. Just didn’t want to spoil it for anyone else.

I added tags but that's pretty common knowledge at this point. Rectify your quote of mine to block it.

ItsChrisRoss
06-21-2020, 02:20 PM
I added tags but that's pretty common knowledge at this point. Rectify your quote of mine to block it.

Done. I know it’s mostly common knowledge, but I went into it avoiding spoilers. I had a slight feeling it would happen, but still wanted to find out for myself. From what I heard it’s been circulating for a while and also the reason users are review bombing it on metacritic.

Toadflax
06-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Finished the game last night. I thought it was absolutely beautiful. The narrative and structure are so brilliantly crafted to really challenge your point of view. I was reminded of the experience of watching No Country For Old Men or The Dark Knight, where the filmmakers very purposefully mess with expectations in order to illicit a certain response and support the theme of the narrative.

Also, some people are mad that the game features an LGBT/feminist "agenda." Fuck those pricks right in their stupid fucking faces.

Lerxto
06-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Everybody's shitting their pants, but no one's wiping their butts.
That's how I feel after playing The Last of Us 2.
Don't waste your time if you loved the original. Not worth it.

ItsChrisRoss
06-22-2020, 04:24 PM
A friend told me how it plays out (I was trying to avoid spoilers but gave in) and I’m not sure how I feel about everything.

I’m sure going to finish it and so far I really like it.

I’ll have to post an update once I get thru it but it won’t be for a while because I’m very slow with these games hah.

Wretchedest
06-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Everybody's shitting their pants, but no one's wiping their butts.
That's how I feel after playing The Last of Us 2.
Don't waste your time if you loved the original. Not worth it.

I don't get it... It's the same thing. It looks the same, it plays similarly, maybe a little more smoothly. It has the same tone. What is so different that a fan of the first shouldn't even play it?

I like it more. It's flawed for sure but I like it a lot and think it's way better.

the game finally sinks in quality when you find out Dina is pregnant. Nthis shit is dramatic enough without that reveal, and the game is asking me to suspend disbelief and sheer level of coincidence in the sequence of events that lead up to that. Ending the Ellie / Dina dynamic is a horrible mistake that I cannot understand from the writers point if view.

Of course the more controversial thing is shifting to Abby's perspective halfway through. It's an uncomfortable thing for the player, I enjoyed playing with Ellie, but Abby altogether lacks her charisma or depth. They do a poor job of fleshing her out. And this is compounded by a series of very bad choices. Foremost, I can't wrap my head around the idea that they wouldn't use what was left of the vaccine research to move forward with Ellie. It seems like it would still be possible to me but ok let's all ignore that. Then there's this character Mel coming along with you, she shouldn't because she's pregnant, and she really only exists to state that she is pregnant as frequently as possible. She has zero depth. From here the game steps into the egregious characterization of a pair of Asian children who dress vaguely like monks and are afraid of modern technology.... Yikes. And ultimately, all of this does nothing to make me change my mind, if I were Ellie, I'd still kill that bitch. They're all insufferable. Any way I guess I have a ways to go on that section. We will see how it goes.

FULLMETAL
06-22-2020, 10:13 PM
Casual gamer here.

I enjoyed the remaster & was looking forward to the sequel. I've read the Ars Tech review and avoided spoilers (thank you for blocking, btw), but it seems like I'd be better off saving money and just reading a wiki to see how it ends.

Is the game "Empire Strikes Back" level or does it feel more like "Jaws: The Revenge"?

Lerxto
06-22-2020, 10:13 PM
I don't get it... It's the same thing. It looks the same, it plays similarly, maybe a little more smoothly. It has the same tone. What is so different that a fan of the first shouldn't even play it?

I like it more. It's flawed for sure but I like it a lot and think it's way better.

the game finally sinks in quality when you find out Dina is pregnant. Nthis shit is dramatic enough without that reveal, and the game is asking me to suspend disbelief and sheer level of coincidence in the sequence of events that lead up to that. Ending the Ellie / Dina dynamic is a horrible mistake that I cannot understand from the writers point if view.

Of course the more controversial thing is shifting to Abby's perspective halfway through. It's an uncomfortable thing for the player, I enjoyed playing with Ellie, but Abby altogether lacks her charisma or depth. They do a poor job of fleshing her out. And this is compounded by a series of very bad choices. Foremost, I can't wrap my head around the idea that they wouldn't use what was left of the vaccine research to move forward with Ellie. It seems like it would still be possible to me but ok let's all ignore that. Then there's this character Mel coming along with you, she shouldn't because she's pregnant, and she really only exists to state that she is pregnant as frequently as possible. She has zero depth. From here the game steps into the egregious characterization of a pair of Asian children who dress vaguely like monks and are afraid of modern technology.... Yikes. And ultimately, all of this does nothing to make me change my mind, if I were Ellie, I'd still kill that bitch. They're all insufferable. Any way I guess I have a ways to go on that section. We will see how it goes.

I think you already explained why. Massive drop in quality with the storyline.
I'll add a bit.

From Ellie's perspective, she doesn't even know what happened with Abby and the kid. We switch to playing Abby after Ellie screaming "I'd fucking kill you!".
Most people who played the original would've felt the same.
First encounter with Abby after the theater scene. We get to play Abby, not Ellie, which pisses a lot of people off.
Second encounter.
After leaving Dina and the kid, Ellie finally confronts Abby again, who killed Jesse, almost killed Tommy, lost 2 fingers, and the reason she left was because killing her was practically Tommy's last wish.
And Ellie just let her go. No dialogue, nothing at all. She just lets her go.
Another fucking flashback. Ellie says he can't forgive Joel for saving her life. As if that made any sense. Remember the ending of the original?

Lerxto
06-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Casual gamer here.

I enjoyed the remaster & was looking forward to the sequel. I've read the Ars Tech review and avoided spoilers (thank you for blocking, btw), but it seems like I'd be better off saving money and just reading a wiki to see how it ends.

Is the game "Empire Strikes Back" level or does it feel more like "Jaws: The Revenge"?

Game of Thrones season 8.

Rdm
06-22-2020, 10:33 PM
I feel like I can't even go on YouTube without seeing some dumb YouTuber posting huge spoilers in their title and picture. Those people should get strikes on their accounts.

Wretchedest
06-22-2020, 11:33 PM
It just seems like this second half of the game doesn't have enough structure. I think that's the thing that takes an interesting choice and sells it short. There's less motivation and direction.

Toadflax
06-23-2020, 01:46 AM
For those of you looking up spoilers without/before actually playing it, I'm disappointed that you will never get to experience the game as it was intended. A huge part of why I found the game so effective was that I had no idea what to expect from one moment to the next. If you hate the choices they made, so be it, but the intention is for the player to experience them as they happen, not to look up spoilers and already know what's around the next corner.

DF118
06-26-2020, 07:37 PM
I can see some merit to the criticism here. I don't care about Joel, and I'm only still exploring Seattle, but Abby is built like a brick shithouse? 20 years into the apocalypse? What?

I wasn't aware of any of the drama until after I purchased, it does seem like rather odd, though.

Wretchedest
06-26-2020, 07:39 PM
Only the first of her days is a bit of a drag, the rest I think is very good. Abby love in a sports stadium with a gym and there are people there aying video games and shit, she could definitely work out

DF118
06-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Abby love in a sports stadium with a gym and there are people there aying video games and shit, she could definitely work out

What?

Anyway I made Ellie fall off a cliff earlier and she broke both her legs. :o

ItsChrisRoss
06-26-2020, 08:00 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I’m super frustrated about the downtown area. I went thru the fuck fedra gate not realizing you couldn’t return and missed some optional things. Oh well.

versusreality
06-26-2020, 08:29 PM
there's something about the pacing of the game, and quite honestly, storyline, that isn't grabbing me as much as the first game. I'm at the TV station now. which means...probably still early in the game, so I'll give it time.

Rdm
06-27-2020, 12:39 AM
I'll be super vague so I don't spoil anything .

Just beat the game on hard mode. I think the game was incredible and I actually think it was better than the first. I played the first game last week and beat this one this week so I feel I'm in a good position to say this. The game has so many memorable moments. BUY THE GAME ! the lighting in this game was phenomenal, the red sewer area- holy crap that was so so good. Sound another A +. Story a little long but still phenomenal. Graphics we're A+ at times but were just ok at other times. Replay-ability- already doing it lol. The game won my heart, I don't understand any criticism but I would be open to hear it.

thelastdisciple
06-27-2020, 12:57 AM
there's something about the pacing of the game, and quite honestly, storyline, that isn't grabbing me as much as the first game.
I'm wondering if the issues with pacing that folks are having is due to the bigger areas of exploration? Downtown Seattle on horseback getting to explore all those locations on your map.. it was like how they introduced the expansive driving sections in Uncharted 4.

I've just left off at the second flashback. The first flashback was really sweet and i think is the most precious moment of the game so far, it reminded me of the giraffe scene from the previous game.

My save file says I'm about 20 hours deep now! :eek:

Wretchedest
06-27-2020, 05:35 AM
Wow that ending... Is just... Impressively depressing. Probably for the worse. It doesn't do enough to justify itself. I don't find the choices that were made or the motivations convincing.

That said I still enjoyed the bulk of the game.

DF118
06-27-2020, 07:25 AM
This really doesn't suit being open world- fucking around in Seattle is tedious. Let's study that crappy map for 30 minutes so I can explore this Starbucks for the promise of a couple of bullets and a crappy collectable trading card.

I read a review recently saying something like "every location is so rich with subtly suggested history and backstory that you can't help but wonder in awe at blah blah". I mean, the foliage is pretty and the rope physics are interesting? Plus the bit with the bank robbers was interesting for about a minute. At least I got a shotgun out of it.

Also ND- why are you mapping both the map and the crafting menu to the touchpad? Have you any idea how annoying that is? And your guitar playing minigame is so trite it's almost offensive.

Rdm
06-27-2020, 02:00 PM
I thought the guitar part was really good.You can literally play songs that are chord based songs and the animation when playing the song is really neat -it shows her hand making the chords on the guitar neck correctly. The details in this game are so meticulous, it must of drove the coders nuts.

the negative reviews really don't make sense. The game is almost the same game with better graphics, longer story, enhanced sound, the game is terrifying when it try's to be- the first game never got scary IMO. The story and the message of the game can be applied to what's going on in our society today with the Black lives matter- Hate usually comes from the unknown. Seems like a backlash due to the overwhelming good reviews. Sorry if I'm parroting what others have said.

Jinsai
06-27-2020, 03:48 PM
this is why you ignore "user reviews" on aggregate sites. Nobody cares what these people think.

and... I say this as someone who has pretty much always felt it was overrated and I can't really get into it, but I get that there's just something here I haven't gotten yet. I'll get it eventually. Doubt I'll get to part 2 anytime soon.

Aladdinsanity
06-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Neil Druckmann explained in a spoiler podcast that the ending originally included Ellie retrieving "Ollie" (J.J.'s stuffed animal toy), suggesting that she walks back to Jackson to patch things up with Dina after she leaves the house. They nixed that scene at the last minute to make the ending more open for interpretation.

Honestly? The more I think about it, I have a hard time believing that original ending doesn't occur anyway. The story is already funneled to that conclusion and it makes no sense for her to do anything otherwise in the end.

Space Suicide
06-28-2020, 03:33 PM
I’m on chapter 18 out of 45. No issues with the game so far.

Rdm
06-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Is there that much ignorance out there that people don't like the game because there's gay people as the main characters ? I'm started to feel like many of these people didn't even play the game.

ItsChrisRoss
06-28-2020, 04:15 PM
Loving the game so far, and I unfortunately know spoilers. I’ll see how I feel about the game when I’m done with it, having finally experienced it to completion, but as of right now, I’m loving it.

NotoriousTIMP
06-28-2020, 04:58 PM
Is there that much ignorance out there that people don't like the game because there's gay people as the main characters ? I'm started to feel like many of these people didn't even play the game.

Sadly yes, gamers are the biggest cry babies and when you clump that up with our current political climate, the neck beards come out in full force. I've seen "BOYCOTT NAUGHTYDOG #Trump2020" floating around on facebook and it just sucks that politics have to ruin a video game for some. Personally I'm happy to see the LGBTQ community getting attention like this. I had someone get into an argument with me stating "I hate it when devs try to push their agenda on everyone, it's not fair that I am forced to play these characters" - my retort was "so I guess it's okay for gay people to only be able to play straight characters? yeah, that seems fair *eye roll*"

I'm about half way through I think (I just got to the Hospital) and I love this game. The cinematics are breath taking and I like how you really have to ration out your ammo, my only complaint (and its extremely minor) is its a little too cinematic for me. I like the roaming around the city and reading all the notes left behind and I wish there was a little bit more to that in this game when it comes to flushing out the story. Additionally, I keep laughing whenever you smash a window / shove a door open - I always think to myself "Okay, someone or something HAD to hear that" - but its these little plot holes that make this game fun.

versusreality
06-28-2020, 08:53 PM
It's hooking me in more. I'm about 12 hours into the game, give or take.

One thing I hate in games though: killing animals. ughhhhhhh.

ItsChrisRoss
06-28-2020, 08:59 PM
Just got through the museum flashback. Goddammit, broke my heart a little bit to see them together and in good spirits.

Space Suicide
06-28-2020, 09:02 PM
I'm glad I walk a beat to my own drum. So far I'm pretty engrossed in the revenge aspect of the story. It felt so good to beat the shit out of and kill Nora in Chapter 18.

Rdm
06-28-2020, 10:56 PM
I'm on my second run through the game and I can definitely agree the cinematics are a bit much. I wish I could talk more about how I feel about the story but I don't want to ruin it for anybody else.

Wretchedest
06-29-2020, 12:34 AM
Neil Druckmann explained in a spoiler podcast that the ending originally included Ellie retrieving "Ollie" (J.J.'s stuffed animal toy), suggesting that she walks back to Jackson to patch things up with Dina after she leaves the house. They nixed that scene at the last minute to make the ending more open for interpretation.

Honestly? The more I think about it, I have a hard time believing that original ending doesn't occur anyway. The story is already funneled to that conclusion and it makes no sense for her to do anything otherwise in the end.

after doing some reading the big, valid thing I get from it is the writers pointing at the player and asking "do you want Ellie to be happy? Or do you want to keep playing the game?" Because in order for the game to continue, Ellie must be unhappy, and Ellie must engage in violence. All through out the game they ask... How far is too far? If somehow it had kept going after that horrible scene in the end... Would you do it? Would go and chase Abby back again or whatever? I don't know it was very harsh. So in that way the ending might be clever.

On the other hand, that point is made very early on. When they don't go back right after Dina reveals she's pregnant. Or when Ellie won't go with Jessie to save tommy. Or when Ellie leaves Dina and JJ. The point is made a dozen times over .. at the cost of belief. By the time Ellie won't help the slaves leave the camp or she's threatening to stab Lev.... I have not been made to believe that Ellie would do that. They did not convince me that she would go that far. It just doesn't work. And this character is completely sabotaged for future games, should they decide to ring her back. She's irredeemable. It's a fucking waste.

All that said, let's call it's a 9/10. It's greedy writing. But there's a lot of gold in there and a ton of solid gameplay.

ltrandazzo
06-29-2020, 07:12 AM
I can see some merit to the criticism here. I don't care about Joel, and I'm only still exploring Seattle, but Abby is built like a brick shithouse? 20 years into the apocalypse? What?

I wasn't aware of any of the drama until after I purchased, it does seem like rather odd, though.

Keep playing the game. The WLF is much larger and organized than you think it is.

DF118
06-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Keep playing the game. The WLF is much larger and organized than you think it is.

Actually I'm starting to like it quite a bit more now that I've gotten my teeth into it. I've just past the museum flashback. I'm still struggling with the pacing a little though- I tend to want a little more game in my game.

neorev
06-29-2020, 03:59 PM
The story/game is amazing. Tops the first one. I can't wait for the HBO TV series. I hope they do the story justice because the game handles it masterfully.

P.S. It's Empire Strikes Back level in my book.

DF118
06-30-2020, 04:55 PM
I'm I supposed to feel awful and horrible for killing all these people? I genuinely can't tell if that's what they're going for. The violence is horrific but the gameplay is extremely safe. I mean I just slaughtered the 4 deserters in the house who jumped me while upgrading on a workbench. Ellie shrugged her shoulders and said "what the fuck guys" like she'd been served the wrong Starbucks order. If I wanted a heart felt examination of my actions I'd dig out my PS3 and play Spec Ops: The Line. Or even Deus Ex. Not a game from the creators of Nathan Drake: Ethnic Cleanser Simulator.

Oh wait, that's the point, I guess? This is really clumsy- it's forced as fuck.

I feel rather unclean that ND is trying to make me feel this way.

Edit: Yeah. Looking at the severed arm of some rando who screamed to death, I can sorta see Gamespot's point.

ItsChrisRoss
06-30-2020, 05:01 PM
I haven’t gotten through the game yet (just finished museum flashback) but I do know spoilers.

And here’s the thing: I compare it to the walking dead, in that throughout the whole series, we are supposed to view Rick and his group as good people. However, they may be viewed as the enemy by other groups, notably the Saviors - when Rick and his group crept into their compound and killed them IN THEIR SLEEP.

The same can be said for the whole Ellie / Abby thing. We know Abby suffered a loss, and probably views Ellie as the enemy. And we can easily say that Ellie views Abby as the enemy. It’s important to remember both sides of things when playing a game like this, or watching a show like the walking dead. In TWD, it is very possible and sure that Negan and his group viewed themselves as the good guys and Rick and co as evil.

The same can be said to the main characters in this story. Which is why, despite the spoilers, I will continue to play it, not have issue with it, and will see how I feel after I’m all done. I know it’ll break my heart all over again, but that’s to be expected.

ThinkIcouldburn
06-30-2020, 05:20 PM
I absolutely loved Part 2. For all the drama around this game, it achieved more than what I had hoped it would. It was gorgeous, the music was lovely, the story heartbreaking, and the world that I loved from the first game has been greatly expanded.

Space Suicide
06-30-2020, 05:45 PM
I just hit Chapter 25 and now am in control of Abby. Aiming to finish this by Sunday or Monday.

ItsChrisRoss
06-30-2020, 05:47 PM
I just hit Chapter 25 and now am in control of Abby. Aiming to finish this by Sunday or Monday.

What do you mean chapter 25? I think there are only 11 or so chapters that are broken down into parts.

DF118
06-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Walking dead comparison

Yeah, that's kinda fair, and I see the influence.

But honestly? I'm long sick of that too. I mean, you can portray protagonists as the worst they can be, hypocritical and murderous, because the enemy has pushed to be that way, and said enemy is worse.

But realistically, all that happens, is, you lose sympathy with the protagonists.

Like Naughty Dog is having the enemies screaming in pain and begging to live... in the above context it's just cheap exploitation.

All I'm seeing is: Ellie is just slaughtering a bunch of people.

This might be unfair: my guess is, that it's no secret that: we'll have to re-contextualise everything when we see the humane side of Abby's life in the purported second half. But that's really rote, and I'd I'm guessing will leave most people feeling cheap.

Jinsai
06-30-2020, 06:17 PM

Probably... gamers are still, vocally, a younger crowd, and a lot of them are completely immature, insecure assholes. The things I've heard kids yell into their headsets...

Space Suicide
06-30-2020, 06:50 PM
What do you mean chapter 25? I think there are only 11 or so chapters that are broken down into parts.

There's technically 45 parts that function as chapters in the select screen, as far as I knew. Maybe I should say encounters? Scenes? I don't know.

Probably... gamers are still, vocally, a younger crowd, and a lot of them are completely immature, insecure assholes. The things I've heard kids yell into their headsets...

Couldn't tell you but this game really opened my eyes like never before about how baby-ish these people are. It's fine if you don't like the game but the hate campaigns for this is almost as bad as Mass Effect 3 when that came out.

It's a piece of consumable entertainment media. The creators of the series made it the way it is, don't like it. Fine. Like it? Fine. It's optional to enjoy. If you don't ok. You're not gonna be satisfied or like every movie, book or TV show.

Most people hated Dexter after season 4 because of the events in the season finale. It's how it was written. I personally liked season 5 and loved 7. Seasons 6 is bad and season 8 is absolute dogshit.

As for the Last of Us Part II, writing your "this is supposed to be like this" fanfics is cancerous to your fandom and enjoyment. Major concerns I'm reading is Joel died too soon, the story is "poorly written" and Abby sucks.

Ok.

Wretchedest
06-30-2020, 08:16 PM
There's technically 45 parts that function as chapters in the select screen, as far as I knew. Maybe I should say encounters? Scenes? I don't know.

Couldn't tell you but this game really opened my eyes like never before about how baby-ish these people are. It's fine if you don't like the game but the hate campaigns for this is almost as bad as Mass Effect 3 when that came out.

It's a piece of consumable entertainment media. The creators of the series made it the way it is, don't like it. Fine. Like it? Fine. It's optional to enjoy. If you don't ok. You're not gonna be satisfied or like every movie, book or TV show.

Most people hated Dexter after season 4 because of the events in the season finale. It's how it was written. I personally liked season 5 and loved 7. Seasons 6 is bad and season 8 is absolute dogshit.

As for the Last of Us Part II, writing your "this is supposed to be like this" fanfics is cancerous to your fandom and enjoyment. Major concerns I'm reading is Joel died too soon, the story is "poorly written" and Abby sucks.

Ok.
Joel died too soon?! That's the fucking catalyst of the story! And he's still in a ton of the game like almost every chapter

Space Suicide
06-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Joel died too soon?! That's the fucking catalyst of the story! And he's still in a ton of the game like almost every chapter

Yeah, I know. It's the plot device to the entire game's story haha.

Wretchedest
06-30-2020, 09:47 PM
Of all things, it's the games pretentious that do it the biggest disservice. As far as mindless action games go, it's a cut above. When you try to cut too much deeper than that, the cracks begin to show. I will say that many of this games story related issues stem from a desire to present this pretentiousness. The parts where the drama piles on beyond reason. [Spoiler] even by the time Dina reveals she is pregnant... There is enough going on. And in taking her off the board the game loses some of it's better qualities. Ellie also pushed herself too far several times over, before they flush the character down the toilet, so that we don't ever want to see her again. And of course there's Mel, who's sitary character traits *is* pregnancy lol [/spoilers]

pulse
07-01-2020, 01:24 AM
Meh, it's a damn good game. Also does a decent job of weighing sides within justifiable actions of protagonist vs antagonist. Reality is grey. Ellie is consumed with revenge just like Abby. Humans are fucked in this matter. I can't blame either. But the theme is dark and morbid. By the end, we've lived through Ellie advancing beyond her years, but not necessarily due to the savage nature of her experience, but her regret / sorrow. That is at least growth beyond a heart-breaking story. Sure, there are flaws. But honestly, there are far worse cinematic experiences getting Academy praise than this game. It deserves the accolades.

If I might add, it's impressive enough that we are critically analyzing these characters from an incredible acting experience within a game. The actors who bought in and pulled this off were in a zone. I stopped playing a game; a game played me. It's gutwrenching. Never felt a cheesy moment. Was always emotionally drained. That is not easy to pull off in such a long-form cinematic experience, much less the fact it is a video game.

I feel like if they never revisit this story, we've already experienced closure. We can only be left alone to hope these suffering souls find peace without any further tale to tell. It's going to be difficult to revisit. It could more easily just be left alone.

loopcloses
07-01-2020, 05:23 AM
My precise concern while playing through this game was that it was going to become some The Walking Dead (the AMC show, not the game) misery porn wankery. In Ellie's part of the story, it certainly threatens to. But I just made it to the second go around of Day 3 and I'm pretty convinced that it wasn't a needed concern. The plot is fairly heavy on tropes, but so was the first game's story. Like that game, the weight comes from the strength of the performances and well-drawn main characters with just enough depth for me to sink my teeth into.

And my biggest issue, as usual when a Naughty Dog game drops, is that the "good for a video game" writing is so widely focused on in discussion that you don't hear much about what a rad video game this is independent of the story being told. The art design, the graphics, the combat, level design; this game is nothing short of an achievement, one that could only be accomplished by a passionate, talented team with a huge budget and potentially toxic perfectionist work culture, and it deserves every accolade it's going to get, regardless of whether the writing team delivered.

I haven't beat the game, but I do have spoiler-y thoughts too:
What I think makes Ellie's half of the story work (compared to Abbie's, which is much warmer with a more sympathetic protagonist) is taking it with the events of the first game, as well as the flashbacks. When you pan out enough, I find that there's a lot to dig into: Ellie isn't *just* another woefully misguided protagonist overcome with bloodlust. She knows from the beginning exactly what Joel did to deserve what he got, and yet, she still feels compelled to avenge him. I've spent some time thinking about why that is. The connection I'm drawing (especially when comparing Ellie vs Abby) is that what Ellie is doing is exactly what Joel would've done. Joel's own selfishness is the reason she's alive, and while we see that she was furious to learn what he'd done, she clearly made some kind of peace with it.

So, in essence, Joel poisoned her. While he saved her life and cemented the parent-child bond they both needed, he left her his nihilism when his actions finally caught up to him.

Reading the story this way, it's really a better payoff to the first game's ending than I could've imagined going in.

Rdm
07-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Ellie plays hurt -Johnny cash https://youtu.be/f6_TtIqnOsY

Space Suicide
07-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Beat the story for the first time tonight.

I have gotten all trophies minus 3 (both fully upgraded skills/weapons and the platinum itself). I am gonna 100% this beast.

The end had me. I was for sure thought Ellie was going to drown Abby at the end before she let her up.

ItsChrisRoss
07-06-2020, 11:54 AM
I played a lot yesterday. Just got to the hospital.

I was thinking about it and this game seems so much darker and lonely than the first one, and I think it’s because in the first one, you always had an AI companion. Even at the beginning of this one, we had Dina, and it made playing a lot more enjoyable because of the side conversations they’d have.

A lot of great moments between Ellie and Joel happened during those side conversations during gameplay in the first one.

I miss that a bit in this one. Not a huge criticism, but definitely feels a little bit more lonely this time around.

Space Suicide
07-06-2020, 01:55 PM
I'm nearly on Day 3 for Ellie on a New Game+ play through. Two weapons left to max and two skills left for her. Then it's Abby's turn.

Fuck the haters. I bought this.

CCRfZvkAH_D

ItsChrisRoss
07-06-2020, 01:56 PM
I'm nearly on day 3 for Ellie on a New Game+ play through. Two weapons left to max and two skills left. Then it's Abby's turn.

Fuck the haters. I bought this.

CCRfZvkAH_D

Your link won’t work.

Also, how many hours a day are you playing? I feel like it takes me 3 hours to complete a section!! Maybe I’m just slow and don’t like to miss the collectibles.

Space Suicide
07-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Your link won’t work.

Also, how many hours a day are you playing? I feel like it takes me 3 hours to complete a section!! Maybe I’m just slow and don’t like to miss the collectibles.

Reload, it shows up on mine.

I did all my collectibles the first play through via a guide. Now I'm just blowing through areas since I know layout and skipping cutscenes.

ItsChrisRoss
07-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Reload, it shows up on mine.

I did all my collectibles the first play through via a guide. Now I'm just blowing through areas since I know layout and skipping cutscenes.

Ah, when I opened it in safari it worked. Cool!

Rdm
07-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Just beat the Game for the second time on New game plus on hard. The only thing I disliked about the game the second time around, not the games fault, is watching the non cinematic scenes where you have to talk and you can't skip through lol. All in all a fantastic game . Got 55 percent of the game complete. That's enough for me .

Piko
07-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Finished last night. I'm conflicted. Stuff I liked and stuff I didn't. Way too long and dragged out imo.

Inventory system worked out well in the first, but doesn't hold up well at all in this one. It's too clunky for this game's action.

Story-wise, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Nowhere close to the first game. Doesn't have the magic or the pacing the first game.

Just a very weird game imo. This game isn't bad enough for me to send death threats and other dumb shit.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Game is beautiful, mechanics worked just fine, story could have been a bit shorter. Hated what they did with Joel and the writing is pretty lackluster here compared to the first outing. Overall, I really enjoyed myself despite that major flaw for me.

The museum scene was the best thing out of this entire game.

ItsChrisRoss
07-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Game is beautiful, mechanics worked just fine, story could have been a bit shorter. Hated what they did with Joel and the writing is pretty lackluster here compared to the first outing. Overall, I really enjoyed myself despite that major flaw for me.

The museum scene was the best thing out of this entire game.

Loved the museum scene. I’m only halfway thru the game but that scene was so good and definitely stood out. So nice to see Ellie and Joel on good terms.

It bothers me that she resents him so much for saving her life. Life’s too short to strain relationships, as we all found out with what happened to Joel. Looking forward to finishing this game but it won’t happen for a few weeks. I’m a slow player haha.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Loved the museum scene. I’m only halfway thru the game but that scene was so good and definitely stood out. So nice to see Ellie and Joel on good terms.

It bothers me that she resents him so much for saving her life. Life’s too short to strain relationships, as we all found out with what happened to Joel. Looking forward to finishing this game but it won’t happen for a few weeks. I’m a slow player haha.

Yeaa that is where the writing flaws come in for me with her resenting him so much. I wanna say more but can't lol.

NotoriousTIMP
07-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Picked up my controller this morning after taking a break for a week....goddamn is this game not forgiving. I have died so many times during my first play-though, I had to take a break due to how frustrating it got. I'm still keeping myself in dark when it comes to the story and I refuse to read any guides for fear of it revealing something I didn't already know...

I love this game, even with its flaws, and I still find myself actually getting scared/nervous during certain parts which is a welcoming feeling. Haven't had a game make my sit on the edge of my seat since the original Resident Evil.

ItsChrisRoss
07-18-2020, 10:00 PM
No idea why this game is getting so much hate. I enjoy the story. I’ve been playing as Abby now for a while (on Seattle day Two - Abby) and I like her character. There’s clearly a parallel between her and Ellie with their inability to let things go and see out their revenge.

It’s ridiculous to me that so many people out there don’t like Abby because of what she did early on in the game. It seems to me that it’s mostly fanboys of the first one (I played and loved the first one) that are hung up on that significant death which propels their dislike for Abby. I happen to like her. Her and Ellie are both people who have lost important people in their lives and are unable to move on.

ItsChrisRoss
07-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Still playing this. About three quarters through. Maybe more. This is the conclusion I’ve come to:

Abby > Ellie.

While there is no true villain in this story, I found Abbys play through much more enjoyable, her personality more likable, and felt she lost way more than Ellie.

If I HAD to choose who the villain was between both? Definitely Ellie.

At least part of Abbys story was spent trying to save two people. Who did Ellie try to save? No one.

And people need to get over that Abby killed Joel. Joel wasn’t the best person either and everyone is basically in this mess because of him.

Ellie comes off as a resentful person who can’t get past her need for vengeance which in turn, costs both her and Abby everything.

I’m team Abby. Ellie’s personality was a bummer this game.

Space Suicide
07-26-2020, 08:50 PM
Still playing this. About three quarters through. Maybe more. This is the conclusion I’ve come to:

Abby > Ellie.

While there is no true villain in this story, I found Abbys play through much more enjoyable, her personality more likable, and felt she lost way more than Ellie.

If I HAD to choose who the villain was between both? Definitely Ellie.

At least part of Abbys story was spent trying to save two people. Who did Ellie try to save? No one.

And people need to get over that Abby killed Joel. Joel wasn’t the best person either and everyone is basically in this mess because of him doom players of the first game. You got character story and exposition for her in an entire game, which TLOUPII tried to do in one for Abby for both sides of her story.

Ellie comes off as a resentful person who can’t get past her need for vengeance which in turn, costs both her and Abby everything.

I’m team Abby. Ellie’s personality was a bummer this game.

I DARE you to post this into at the void somewhere else and see if the wolves are kind to you.

Everything you said I can see and agree with. I liked both player characters in this game, Ellie got favoritism due to origin story and personal attachment.

ItsChrisRoss
07-26-2020, 08:51 PM
I DARE you to post this into at the void somewhere else and see if the wolves are kind to you.

Everything you said I can see and agree with. I liked both player characters in this game, Ellie got favoritism due to origin story and personal attachment.

Agree with the favoritism with Ellie.

And I tried to post it into the void on my story on IG using the hashtag #Thelastofuspart2 but I’m not sure how far that’ll reach haha.

Space Suicide
07-26-2020, 09:01 PM
Agree with the favoritism with Ellie.

And I tried to post it into the void on my story on IG using the hashtag #Thelastofuspart2 but I’m not sure how far that’ll reach haha.

Plus Ellie got more exposition and background as she had an entire first game and supporting character/relationship to build off of. For Abby you got the second game and she's got both prologue origin beginnings and current II story. More daunting task.

DF118
07-26-2020, 11:03 PM
Usually I love horror like this, but it needs to be in service of something worthwhile and tangible. This was badly written misery porn, through and through. When I realised that Abby and Ellie were so appalling awful, that I genuinely wanted them to murder each other, I realised how ugly and cynical Naughty Dog have become. I get it, revenge is bad. Did I really need 20 hours of contrived virtue signaling hitting me over the head with this?

ND has stated something like, "we don't expect you to love Abby, but we expect you to understand her". Well, bravo for framing the simplest of narrative characterization structure as some kind of achievement. She's still an appalling douchebag.

On to Ghosts of Tsushima, which seems to deal with similar themes, but so far, is quite lovely! Like playing a 13th century feudal Japan version of Infamous. Quite the pallet cleanser.

ItsChrisRoss
08-02-2020, 07:24 PM
Just finished this finally. I already knew what happened before playing through, but holy hell what a heavy game. The last fight between Abby and Ellie is a punch in the gut (no pun intended).

It’s honestly borderline disgusting to me how a Ellie as a character could release Abby and Lev, VISIBLY SEE how screwed up and close to death they were and STILL be so selfish as to want to fight Abby when Abby refused.

I solidified my stance about halfway to three quarters through the game that 1) I liked Abby better than Ellie and that 2) Abby was a better person. She saved Lev and Yara...Ellie saved no one. Abby probably wasn’t the best person in general, but when you compare her to Ellie, she’s a saint.

I finished out the game feeling sorry for Abby because Ellie basically ruined everything she had, and being disappointed in Ellie for becoming such a relentless hateful rage filled person.

Did I like the game? Yes. Would I play through it again? Doubtful. It was fun, beautiful, but awfully heavy.

I can see why people didn’t like the story but anyone who plays through who doesn’t feel for Abby is missing the point.

Anyways, that’s my two cents. Glad I played. Lived up to my expectations or the most part, but talk about destroying a character (Ellie).

theruiner
08-27-2020, 03:06 AM
So, I am late to the party here but I finally finished this last night. I tried not to play too much each day (was aiming for an hour a day, max, but I broke my own rule multiple times...ha) in order to really savor the experience.

I have to say, I was completely, and I mean COMPLETELY blown away. The first game is one of my top five favorite games of all time but, and I can't believe I'm saying this, this one was better. The story was absolutely stunning, engrossing and moving. The gameplay was a blast. The acting was phenomenal. The ending was absolutely perfect. I loved the characters in spite of their flaws (yes, I recognize that they're both pretty awful humans in a lot of ways). I absolutely LOVED Abby. I looooved Lev and Yara (poor Yara!) I was incredibly moved by their story. I wanted to spend more time with all of them (especially Abby). I didn't want it to end. It was an absolutely amazing experience.

Oh, and I cried. Only the second video game to ever do that to me. This was one of the best stories I have ever experienced in any medium. I loved it.

That being said, the pacing was waaaaay off for the first half of the game. I got incredibly bored until about 15 hours in or so. It was super repetitive and the environments weren't all that diverse or interesting. But the second half more than made up for it. And there were some sequences in this game that just completely blew me away. The part where you are in the car trying to get away from the WLF and Ellie is shooting and you end up falling into the river, like, WOW. One of the best sequences I've seen in a game. Or the beginning when Abby is running between the house and the fence and all those infected are grabbing for her. Or the final fight- that final fight! Holy crap, was that intense. There were so many great sequences.

But yeah. I can't say enough good things about this game. It wildly exceeded my expectations. I loved it. I can't wait to play it again at some point.

allegate
09-26-2022, 11:13 AM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1574429218984759296

Jinsai
09-26-2022, 11:44 AM
god I wish this game didn't have so much stealth stuff going on with the gameplay, because the story just rocks. I just wish I could enjoy playing it more but I hate stealth stuff.

It's like the Metal Gear games... I was actually really cool with Metal Gear Solid 1, didn't dig 2 so much, but 3 was amazing outside of all the stealth stuff... but the cool thing there is you can pretty much ditch the stealth stuff and just attack

Last of Us REQUIRES this stealth crap, and it drives me nuts, because I want to simultaneously progress through this story but also want to throw my controller across the room. But whatever, I bought the new PS5 version, and I'll try again

sonic_discord
09-26-2022, 04:37 PM
god I wish this game didn't have so much stealth stuff going on with the gameplay, because the story just rocks. I just wish I could enjoy playing it more but I hate stealth stuff.

It's like the Metal Gear games... I was actually really cool with Metal Gear Solid 1, didn't dig 2 so much, but 3 was amazing outside of all the stealth stuff... but the cool thing there is you can pretty much ditch the stealth stuff and just attack

Last of Us REQUIRES this stealth crap, and it drives me nuts, because I want to simultaneously progress through this story but also want to throw my controller across the room. But whatever, I bought the new PS5 version, and I'll try again

^ That's funny because I love the stealth stuff! The five Metal Gear Solid games and both Last of Us games are some of my all-time favorites and I'm always on the lookout for similar games. I will say that I've always loved how the Metal Gear Solid games almost always allow the player to CHOOSE whether they use stealth and/or non-lethal weapons vs. going in guns blazing and killing everyone in sight. That does keep it fresh. Anyway, the trailer looks promising! I'm glad they're making this into an HBO series instead of a movie because it needs time to build suspense and give all of the creepy settings room to breathe. I'm glad that – at least so far – it appears they've given The Last of Us the acting talent and budget that it deserves.

MrLobster
09-26-2022, 07:02 PM
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1574429218984759296

A bunch of this was filmed like 9 blocks away from me... so going past the sets was kinda wild.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-07-2023, 10:56 AM
Word on the street is, The Last of Us 2 will be getting a remaster... It must be really underwhelming to be working at Naughty Dog, atm.

Jinsai
10-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Word on the street is, The Last of Us 2 will be getting a remaster... It must be really underwhelming to be working at Naughty Dog, atm.the last really "new" thing they came out with was the DLC for Uncharted 4 right? What's going on? They're a great studio, I'd like to see an entirely new IP

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-07-2023, 03:12 PM
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is the last original game they came out with, before the TLOU Remaster, and TLOU2. Legacy was released in 2017, mind you. There is also news that the fully multiplayer game in TLOU world they have been teasing for almost 4 years now, may be canceled.

They are reportedly working on a new IP at the moment, but I find this to be absolutely tiresome at this point.

Frozen Beach
10-07-2023, 06:23 PM
It's really sad if it is the case the multiplayer game was cancelled. The original's multiplayer was absolutely great. Incredibly tense and challenging.