PDA

View Full Version : Trump 2017: Year Zero

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

onthewall2983
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
If I may be so bold, today should be the day we lock the election thread as the confirmations are beginning and Obama's farewell speech is tonight.

theimage13
01-10-2017, 05:20 PM
I can see merit in leaving the election thread open (given the ongoing controversy regarding alleged foreign influence), but I do think it would make sense to maybe just have a "presidential" thread, minus the election bit, to discuss current goings-on.

miss k bee
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
#goldenshowers ? Really?

onthewall2983
01-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Let's just call it Watergate, happened in a hotel after all.

botley
01-10-2017, 07:14 PM
I am not even remotely amused

Louie_Cypher
01-10-2017, 07:24 PM
again on the eve of a major new conference tweet something outragous, this time meryl streep, meryl streep, devert distract, confiramation hearings Squirl! ethics Squirl!
-louie

Jinsai
01-10-2017, 07:53 PM
#goldenshowers ? Really?
What?! Did I miss something? I'm not sure I'm going to get very far by googling this

botley
01-10-2017, 08:05 PM
What?! Did I miss something? I'm not sure I'm going to get very far by googling this

According to (unverified) intelligence, the incoming President of the United States paid hookers in a Ritz Carlton hotel suite in Moscow to piss in front of him on the bed where the outgoing President of the United States had previously slept.

I wish I was fucking kidding.

Jinsai
01-10-2017, 08:27 PM
the world is fucking broken

EDIT: Holy shit! "If you're tired of arguing with strangers on the internet, try to talk with one in real life."

implanted_microchip
01-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Goddamn I wish I had Obama's tireless optimism

Jinsai
01-10-2017, 09:40 PM
holy shit, that was legendary. I just watched the moon landing. I just heard someone say "I have a dream" for the first time, that there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

Harry Seaward
01-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Goddamn I wish I had Obama's tireless optimism

I'm pretty sick of it so far.

Hey, you know what hasn't really worked out so well? Going high when they go low. Maybe let's go low for a bit. Maybe we stomp some fucking Nazis?

EDIT: Facepalm all you want, but it's bullshit. The GOP is getting everywhere by taking the lower ground. Are we supposed to keep attempting to have polite, civil discourse with these fucking idiots? These fucking Nazis, these insane paranoid troglodytes that think Hillary Clinton is eating babies in the basement of a pizzeria? Come the fuck on. Even the mainstream Republicans and alt-righters aren't staying above the ruckus.

Yeah, let's just keep playing happy fun tea party time, it's working out well for us so far. Let's just ask Trump pretty please don't sell us out to hostile foreign interests and dismantle the core of what makes America great. I'm sure he'll listen to the half of the country who he has stated he views as his enemies. Great.

october_midnight
01-10-2017, 10:25 PM
I mean, I agree with you but honestly...and yeah it's cliched, but giving in to the anger and stooping to their level? That's what they want. Do that and they've won. Like I said, a cliche...but I think it rings truer here than ever.

Harry Seaward
01-10-2017, 10:33 PM
I mean, I agree with you but honestly...and yeah it's cliched, but giving in to the anger and stooping to their level? That's what they want. Do that and they've won. Like I said, a cliche...but I think it rings truer here than ever.

You may not have seen the news lately, but they have already won. Are we just going to let this shit keep happening? Look at the state of the internet these days. More than a couple years ago, the entire place wasn't exactly swamped with Nazis. They had their own little corners where they stayed to themselves for the most part. Look how fucking confident they are now. Look at the state of the entirety of Twitter, it's basically becoming their headquarters. This type of behavior on whole sure seems like it's becoming more and more acceptable and open.

So yes, I don't hear any other solutions. Stooping to their level is the answer. Fuck them. Call their parents and schools and workplaces and expose their hidden internet lives. Ruin their lives. Humiliate them publicly. Do what it takes.

Jinsai
01-10-2017, 10:44 PM
You may not have seen the news lately, but they have already won. Are we just going to let this shit keep happening? Look at the state of the internet these days. More than a couple years ago, the entire place wasn't exactly swamped with Nazis. They had their own little corners where they stayed to themselves for the most part. Look how fucking confident they are now. Look at the state of the entirety of Twitter, it's basically becoming their headquarters. This type of behavior on whole sure seems like it's becoming more and more acceptable and open.

So yes, I don't hear any other solutions. Stooping to their level is the answer. Fuck them. Call their parents and schools and workplaces and expose their hidden internet lives. Ruin their lives. Humiliate them publicly. Do what it takes.

People will stoop to their level, that's inevitable... and that sounds like it's going to be terrible, but I like your optimism.

implanted_microchip
01-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Obama's entire thing has been this -- to try and get us over this fucking bridge as smoothly as possible. He's still the president, and even if people like Trump have no sense of what that title or office implies of requires, Barack does, and part of that is trying your goddamn best to unite people and treat the country as a whole instead of a set of sides, and to not help incite or instill doubt in our democracy.

I won't be surprised at all if post-presidency we see him begin to come out swinging a whole lot more, but if he was giving a farewell address in which he called into question his successor and talked shit, do you know how disastrous that would be seen as? It's fucking dangerous, plain and simple. People are pissed off enough already and are eager for validation in their aggressive feelings, no matter the side. They don't need yet another encouraging voice.

His plans are already to start doing his best to help build a new crop of viable candidates for the Democratic party and he seems ready to put his nose to the grindstone and work on the same style of grassroots campaigning that won him two elections in a row by extremely comfortable margins when all was said and done. Obama has always been the type of guy who is measured to a fault in his speeches and doesn't like to show his full hand until he's ready to make a move, and it can be really frustrating in the moment but I've experienced enough of it with him to know that I should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and believe that he knows what he is doing.

elevenism
01-11-2017, 01:05 AM
I really, seriously am pretty goddamned concered that this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce5vC_fBasE

I'd imagine that this has gone through 90% of our heads, and since the thread is called Year Zero, i thought i'd just leave that there.

NINE DAYS, motherbitches. NINE DAYS until it's PRESIDENT Trump.
Just let that sink in. It still does not compute for me. This is why i have stayed out of the election thread since the election.

I said i'd give trump a chance. Then he appointed a fucking climate change denier to run the ENVIORNMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY.

That was the end of the chance.

elevenism
01-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Sorry for double post, but i want to share something. You guys may have been discussing this notion in the other thread, but like i said, i haven't been there in awhile.

So check this out.

Trump is all hell bent on protecting russia for influencing the elections. He thinks Putin is his friend. And maybe he is.

But here's what i think is REALLY going on. Putin wanted to help trump get elected to FUCK OUR COUNTRY UP.
I know some of you guys are russian and i have no problems with russians, so please don't take offense, but russia has always been, in most of our lifetimes, the OTHER superpower-the other side of the coin-the biggest fucking threat to the US.

And tensions are at an all time high since the cold war; we fought a fucking proxy war in syria for fuck's sake, that i expected to errupt into world war 3 any fucking day SO...

I think Putin is LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF at trump, thinks he's a moron, and is saying to his inner circle "look what i did to the United States, eh? have you SEEN the motherfucker who's gonna be their new COMMANDER IN CHIEF?!

Just a (grim) thought that's been bouncing around my dome.

Ryan
01-11-2017, 02:14 AM
Please stand up and spread your legs
I lay me down, look up, it shakes
Let me eat your shame
Let me sip champagne
Let cry your pinky flower
Give me, give me golden shower

Let it rain, don't be blunt
Let it rain, what a stunt
Let it rain, make me grunt
Let it rain from your pretty cunt

Golden shower, don't be shy, cunt
Golden shower, let it fly from your pretty cunt
Golden shower, golden sweat, cunt
Golden shower, make it wet, let it shed

Please stand up, pink hairy sky
I creep down and wait, wait for you to cry
Let me sip again
Give me more champagne
Be my human Eiffel tower
Give me, give me golden shower

Let it rain, don't be blunt
Let it rain, what a stunt
Let it rain, make me grunt
Let it rain from your pretty cunt

Fresh kisses flowing from your hips
And it seems like fairies flying
Moist and tender eyes and lips
And it feels like angels crying
Cunt!

elevenism
01-11-2017, 03:04 AM
Trumped up trickle down...hillary was on to something.

onthewall2983
01-11-2017, 06:09 AM
I don't think it's the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning, etc, etc. Next few years will be rough but I think we'll come out okay. I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I do take some solace knowing everything he will do be scrutinized to the point where he may be made ineffective.

Louie_Cypher
01-11-2017, 08:15 AM
simple, Release your tax returns, dispose of all your business holdings and get to work beng President, or get lost.
-louie

mostlymad
01-11-2017, 09:08 AM
For some people, this election may not truly do any damage. Barring an actual nuclear war, perhaps cishet white men with a lot of money will come out okay, like they did the Bush years. For other people who thought progress was coming to their marginalized and discriminated-against reality, these years could mean true disaster. The very least that has been promised by the nomination of people like Jeff Sessions is a complete walk-back of civil rights. He doesn't even believe in discrimination, and said so in the hearings. That's a huge red flag. And that's just one of Trump's appointments. For a moment, a couple months back, it seemed like Trump was just an incompetent slob who wouldn't be able to do jack shit, but now, with his anti-the-department-they're-heading picks for the cabinet, I've lost even that slight hope that his incompetence might save us from true disaster. I don't see how we're going to get out of this, and the decades it will take to fix it, if it can be fixed at all, will be hard on many of us.

Deepvoid
01-11-2017, 09:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C14-3x5XEAEdfSS.jpg

baudolino
01-11-2017, 10:02 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C14-3x5XEAEdfSS.jpg

it must read "global"! seriously

baudolino
01-11-2017, 10:30 AM
until now he actually didn't state a single fucking specific measure for all this amazing things they will do to make America great again. wtf. this is not even a farce anymore.

Swykk
01-11-2017, 10:34 AM
I just watched Obama's farewell. I wish I could be more like him especially when it comes to the handling of his detractors/enemies (among other things). Maybe I will get there one day but I'm 37, so I think that ship has sailed and I'm just more of a Bill Maher type than an Obama.
Moreover, isn't this what we are supposed to look for in a leader? Someone smarter than us. Someone more collected and reserved than we are. It seems that there's a large portion of the US that lost that somewhere, and actually went the other way. I heard this a lot during the W years, "I like him because he speaks like I do." I think those people are missing the point. The President should be someone BETTER than you.
Clearly, that misguided sentiment won again and we're getting a guy who acts like the worst of us.

Swykk
01-11-2017, 10:41 AM

I get your way of thinking but part of me, like my last post states, wants to try a different approach. A decidedly classier and ultimately more positive one.

However, have you ever tried talking to these people--in person or online? It doesn't work. We've seen that a little bit just here on ETS, which is a way more liberal community. It just doesn't work. Does getting down in the muck with them work any better? I don't think so but it sure feels better. You know you're in the right...but they don't care. Their thinking isn't logical. And it's certainly self-centered. They're not thinking of the big picture.

So both approaches fail. What's the answer?

Sutekh
01-11-2017, 11:03 AM
I have to say Trump has done well by getting these car factories to settle in America

But it still makes me think the world is a bit fucked, because his supporters are cheering it on, whereas they have spent their whole lives saying state interference in business is anathema to the American way

Fine if daddy does it though? Personality cult

miss k bee
01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
The news conference is jokes, I still can't believe this man will be soon in power

Deepvoid
01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Trump literally just called CNN fake news during his press conference.

Is anyone feeling dumber just by listening to him talk.

Jinsai
01-11-2017, 11:46 AM
every time he says 'drug in-dus-treee" it sounds like a malfunctioning robot.

implanted_microchip
01-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Props to his team for immediately coming out swinging against the Russian report and acting like the media has already discredited it, using the New York Times to their advantage even. I think they're all evil, but, geez, they really know how to control the spin, don't they? The story is now no longer "Did these things happen?" but instead "Why did CNN report on these made up allegations?" Amazing shifting of the narrative there.

Also am I the only one who couldn't help but laugh at Pence's extremely tepid applause from the audience as he talked as though he were still at a campaign rally?

Jinsai
01-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Also am I the only one who couldn't help but laugh at Pence's extremely tepid applause from the audience as he talked as though he were still at a campaign rally?

That was pretty bizarre... yeah

Exocet
01-11-2017, 12:34 PM
But here's what i think is REALLY going on. Putin wanted to help trump get elected to FUCK OUR COUNTRY UP.
I know some of you guys are russian and i have no problems with russians, so please don't take offense, but russia has always been, in most of our lifetimes, the OTHER superpower-the other side of the coin-the biggest fucking threat to the US.

And tensions are at an all time high since the cold war; we fought a fucking proxy war in syria for fuck's sake, that i expected to errupt into world war 3 any fucking day SO...

I think Putin is LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF at trump, thinks he's a moron, and is saying to his inner circle "look what i did to the United States, eh? have you SEEN the motherfucker who's gonna be their new COMMANDER IN CHIEF?!

Just a (grim) thought that's been bouncing around my dome.

its a military superpower...thats about it.....its nowhere near as powerful as the Soviet Union was or the United States today in 2017... The US is much stronger.....its not a rival to the US at all, ..Russia has a smaller economy than individual US states like California, Texas, and countries like Canada and Spain. You need money to be a superpower.
Its only its millitary in which it is a superpower...with its fuck tonne of nukes.
But its mostly poor. And too corrupt to make any real progress for the foreseeble future.

I agree he wants a weaker united states though. Putin wants to restore the Soviet Union(without the communism)....the United States is the only country who has been able to stop him using brute force to get him empire back.

implanted_microchip
01-11-2017, 12:47 PM
A pretty apt and popular (if somewhat reductive) statement I've seen a lot is "The United States is the most influential nation in the world and Russia just successfully influenced the most influential nation in the world."

Regardless I just can't believe that there's been such an overall ... mild reaction to another foreign government and leader -- no matter the government or the leader -- hacking and influencing our democratic process. Period. Why it is that people like McCain and Graham seem to be in a minority among the rest of the Republican party on this is shocking to me and shows just how short-sighted and greedy so many of them are. Because if they can do this to the Democrats, they can do this to the Republicans, too; it's not a partisan issue, it's an American issue, and when your country's elections are being meddled with by another, no matter what they're doing or who they are, that's a gigantic problem.

It's extremely disconcerting to me the tepid and ineffectual reaction that this has been met with, not to mention the people who have been so eager to clutch onto every last desperate straw to somehow prove it isn't what happened, and now even Trump himself is admitting to it happening, but we're just gonna get a whole lot of "Yes, and"ing and "... but it doesn't matter!"-style responses from people who, for some reason, are invested in not allowing this to be taken seriously. I just don't get it. Not at all.

Louie_Cypher
01-11-2017, 12:52 PM
nothing was answered.. now more tweet's
-louie

Sutekh
01-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Even their military is crap... hopelessly out of date, their carrier nearly blew up when it rocked up in Syria and half the planes went into the ocean

Their nuke stockpile and their current strategy are all they have going for them - that performance art loon putin has as a strategist is a legit genius. They are looking to claw back some of the losses they made territorially between 89/92, and have had some luck. The baltics will be next. Putin is doing it to legitimise his tenuously long stay in office as much as anything else

He clearly wishes to be warm with trump - ovation in the duma, snubbing Castro's funeral etc. Or does he? This is the genius of current Russian strategy, they intentionally make serious moves, purely to confuse

The relationship between the two will be very interesting to watch - trump has interests and debt in Russia, and Putin has billions frozen in the USA, which trump could theoretically release.

The two have common ground, but they head up state apparatus which are practically bred to oppose each other. Extremely interesting and slightly scary times

Deepvoid
01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
"Fake news" is fast becoming the most meaningless and overused term ever.

marodi
01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
I heard something on the news today (in French, because Vive le Québec libre) that made me paused because it's so true. The reporters were discussing the differences between Obama and Trump and one reporter said (about the way both of them express themselves) "We are crossing from a "we" (Obama) to an "I" (Trump)".

And that is a scary thought.

thevoid99
01-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Trump literally just called CNN fake news during his press conference.

Is anyone feeling dumber just by listening to him talk.

I feel dumber reading about it.

Louie_Cypher
01-11-2017, 05:17 PM
that"press conference" had more staging than a pen and teller show.
-louie

GulDukat
01-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Not even ten days in the New Year and we have Golden Shower-gate.

Your Name Here
01-11-2017, 05:25 PM
I feel like I'm on the biggest rollercoaster in the world and we are at the very top so high you can barely see the bottom, as the coaster cars slowly hang over the hill facing downward. My heart skips a beat the panic sets in for what will be a thrilling ride. The ride that everybody said you shouldn't go on, the ride I didn't want to go on, but I am stuck here now and I can't get off. The coaster cars start to accelerate as they begin the descent then I notice that a piece of the track is missing.

Deepvoid
01-11-2017, 06:15 PM
His claim that 96M people are looking for a job was so ridiculous. Not everyone out of the work force are actually looking for a job.

But now, if CNN fact check this claim, people will scream fake news. What a mess...

Jinsai
01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
I don't understand how CNN is conceivably reporting "fake news." They're addressing a controversy that erupted elsewhere and made it to the top ranks. The source and actual information may be completely fabricated (and it does sound like ridiculous BS), but if Buzzfeed actually believes the story could be credible, they are not intentionally proliferating fake information, and they even stated that it was unverified.

What weirds me out is how furious Trump got about this one... He hardly batted an eye when he was accused of rape, or really pay much attention when several women accused him of unwanted advances and harassment... but this piss-play story got him really worked up. I was thinking "no way is this actually true" until he got so mad about it. Suddenly, it seems slightly more plausible.

Louie_Cypher
01-11-2017, 06:46 PM
i so wanted someone to go to the table with all the folders on it open one and go, "hey wait, these are all just stripper ads"
-louie

mostlymad
01-11-2017, 07:07 PM
I've reached the point where I don't think there's anything left to analyze about him. I just have a mantra of "shitshowshitshowshitshowshitshow* in my head every time he opens his mouth. Four years of this, at least? I don't know if I can make it.

slave2thewage
01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to avoid everything to do with his presidency since it seems designed to give me a fucking aneurysm.

skullboy0
01-12-2017, 10:00 AM
His claim that 96M people are looking for a job was so ridiculous. Not everyone out of the work force are actually looking for a job.

But now, if CNN fact check this claim, people will scream fake news. What a mess...

Doesn't he literally count everybody who doesn't have a job, like those who are too young to get one plus retirees?

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Doesn't he literally count everybody who doesn't have a job, like those who are too young to get one plus retirees? I thought he just made shit up, and when questioned about the veracity of his claims would just stammer about "I don't know, I read it on the Internet... Hashtag emoji zomg let's make America great again!"

Deepvoid
01-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Doesn't he literally count everybody who doesn't have a job, like those who are too young to get one plus retirees?

That 96M is the number of people out of the workforce 16 and older, which includes, retirees, disabled, sick people, stay at home parents or people that go to school.
The TRUE number of people looking for work is anywhere between 5.1M to 14.7M depending on who you ask. Those include part-time workers looking for full-time jobs.

onthewall2983
01-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Just random, but you will never hear me say "not my president". I didn't vote for him of course, which just makes him the guy I didn't vote for. I don't believe in the idea that someone is the president of me, anymore than I think the people who own my apartment complex is the landlord of me, etc.

allegro
01-12-2017, 06:47 PM
I watched this 3x and it made me cry every time
(http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/12/politics/biden-awarded-presidential-medal-of-freedom/)

Louie_Cypher
01-12-2017, 06:57 PM
wait till the inauguration
-louie

marodi
01-12-2017, 07:03 PM
(http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/12/politics/biden-awarded-presidential-medal-of-freedom/)

Me too. Thanks Obama!

I'm going to miss these gentlemen and their families so much... and I'm Canadian.

allegro
01-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Me too. Thanks Obama!

I'm going to miss these gentlemen and their families so much... and I'm Canadian.

They'll still be around.

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Yeah, and Obama's farewell was the most sincere moment I've ever seen from a president in my life. The juxtaposition with Trump's "press conference" screwed me up further, but watching Obama's farewell speech made me feel like I was seeing something historic. I've never felt that way while watching someone give a prepared speech. That was brilliant and it tore my heart out.

It is for some reason hard to watch how eloquently he is exiting. To see him honor Biden now, to ask for respect and dignity be granted to his Vice President, who was so routinely mocked and bashed as a clown in the background... and to hear him speak in a human way in response... This is the most devastating shit.

allegro
01-12-2017, 08:52 PM
who was so routinely mocked and bashed as a clown in the background
I didn't even think about that at all, it didn't even occur to me. All I saw was a man in a position of authority honoring a man who has dedicated the majority of his life to this country, and even lost a son who served this country. That's all I saw. That's all I felt. I wasn't devastated at all. I cried to see Biden's humble attitude, a man who has served this country for over 40 years. He was first elected to the Senate IN 1972.

The social media bullshit has fed its negativity into peoples heads SO much that now they can't even see a simple moment of high honor in a man's career and life as being anything more than a big "fuck you" to people who "treated him unfairly" (which I didn't see, either, maybe because I don't hang out on that fucking cesspool known as Facebook). There is so much polarization, so much "us vs. them," that even poignant moments, even high honors, even a pep-talk about the precious nature of our democracy and how we must fight to preserve it, is seen as just another nail in a coffin of loss. People have grown to love being miserable.
]

Jinsai
01-12-2017, 09:40 PM
I didn't even think about that at all

Unfortunately, I couldn't put that out of my head. It's been so prevalent that even the Onion piled on there. This whole administration has been lambasted on such a crazy scale that the totality of the miserable assault is only just now hitting me full force... as they leave with dignity, reserve, and humility.

allegro
01-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't put that out of my head. It's been so prevalent that even the Onion piled on there. This whole administration has been lambasted on such a crazy scale that the totality of the miserable assault is only just now hitting me full force... as they leave with dignity, reserve, and humility.

I'm in Chicago where people waited in line FOR HOURS to get tickets hear Obama's farewell speech in person, and then the free tickets were selling for $1,500 each online. The Kennedy and Edens expressways and Lake Shore Drive were closed down and we were stuck trying to go to a Blackhawks/Wings game, then we couldn't go home, after, because everything was closed, again, there were over 20,000 people downtown for that (plus the Hawks/Wings rivalry was SRO in back). And it was all okay, we didn't mind.

https://tribwgntv.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/obamafarewell.png?w=400&h=225&crop=1

Watch it here. (https://www.whitehouse.gov/farewell)

Joe Biden has been in the Senate and then a Vice President since 1972. He is responsible for the Violence Against Women Act (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_Against_Women_Act). He chaired the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee from 1987 until 1995. He was a longtime member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. Any of these clowns online diminishing Joe Biden as being anything less than an American who has tirelessly served his country ARE STUPID.

thevoid99
01-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Joe Biden is a great man and definitely deserves the honor. I will miss that man.

Space Suicide
01-12-2017, 10:52 PM
I found making a constant joke pronouncing the upcoming Commander in Chief makes things less idiotic feeling to me. My favorite moniker I've christened him has been Dolan Tramp.

The upcoming presidency? The recent press conference sums it up: whining and talking about your opinion on Buzzfeed's content. Really great subject material you need to be thinking about there when you're about to take helm of the Nation. Still has celebrity mentality and other shenanigans going about.

P.S. Also someone remove his ability to run his twitter account.

thevoid99
01-12-2017, 11:49 PM
I'm going to refer the POTUS-elect as Il Duce from now on. My lack of respect for him is so low, I'm not going to bother saying his name.

elevenism
01-13-2017, 04:40 AM
I'm pretty sick of it so far.

Hey, you know what hasn't really worked out so well? Going high when they go low. Maybe let's go low for a bit. Maybe we stomp some fucking Nazis?

EDIT: Facepalm all you want, but it's bullshit. The GOP is getting everywhere by taking the lower ground. Are we supposed to keep attempting to have polite, civil discourse with these fucking idiots? These fucking Nazis, these insane paranoid troglodytes that think Hillary Clinton is eating babies in the basement of a pizzeria? Come the fuck on. Even the mainstream Republicans and alt-righters aren't staying above the ruckus.

Yeah, let's just keep playing happy fun tea party time, it's working out well for us so far. Let's just ask Trump pretty please don't sell us out to hostile foreign interests and dismantle the core of what makes America great. I'm sure he'll listen to the half of the country who he has stated he views as his enemies. Great.

like On- Hands- and- Knees- We- Crawl- You- Cannot- Stop- Us All style?
Fuck the bullshit, i'm down.
We may HAVE to at some point. I HOPE we don't.

Louie_Cypher
01-13-2017, 07:54 AM
I think obama and his family conducted himself with class and dignity in the face of constant adversity if i was him i would leave a note that read, it would off,to Hawaii leave a note for drump in the oval office, "good luck with that, don't call O"
-louie

WorzelG
01-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Donald Trump just tweeted
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/819869953692155904
What a nice man. Seriously I bet so many Trump supporters are poor people so why did they vote for this? Finding it difficult to understand coming from somewhere where health care is just taken for granted.

Your Name Here
01-13-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm not going to make it, four years of this shit. I don't even watch the news anymore because I am so fucking sick of Trump's voice and all the stupid shit that comes out of his mouth and this tweeting bullshit of his is ridiculous.

sentient
01-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah, and Obama's farewell was the most sincere moment I've ever seen from a president in my life. The juxtaposition with Trump's "press conference" screwed me up further, but watching Obama's farewell speech made me feel like I was seeing something historic. I've never felt that way while watching someone give a prepared speech. That was brilliant and it tore my heart out.

It is for some reason hard to watch how eloquently he is exiting. To see him honor Biden now, to ask for respect and dignity be granted to his Vice President, who was so routinely mocked and bashed as a clown in the background... and to hear him speak in a human way in response... This is the most devastating shit.

I watched Obama's farewell speech on YouTube for the first time about an hour before wiping my eyes dry and watching the Tramp speech live. It was unsettling...the only word I can think to use.

aggroculture
01-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Have Dems begun impeachment processes? Shouldn't Trump be impeached on day 1, given the egregious irregularities with his undisclosed finances? And unanswered questions about Russia?

Also: aren't Republicans supposed to be the most patriotic of the patriots? How come the vast majority of them seem entirely unconcerned whether Russia, through Trump, is gaining an inside influence on US policy? I know they crave power, but at what cost? The whole thing is really confusing.

Aladdinsanity
01-13-2017, 12:35 PM
I wonder how bummed Trump is now that he's looked behind the curtain and has to acknowledge that Infowars and much of the 4chan conservative-leaning conspiracies peddled by Breitbart aren't real... like that moment a child realizes the easter bunny and Santa Claus are fake.

implanted_microchip
01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
as they leave with dignity, reserve, and humility.

It really does feel like we've taken having capable adults in charge for granted and are losing it completely. It's really setting in for me, seeing the way that Obama and Biden conduct themselves with so much honor and decency, thought and general care for each word they employ and then bouncing over to the fucking Trump-Pence word salad shitshow of white guy braggadocio. It's like we've gone from a graduate program all the way straight back to middle school.

Jinsai
01-13-2017, 01:06 PM
the irony meter is just shooting through the roof here... Trump ranting in all-caps about how awful "fake news" is. Your team got in bed with Alex Jones!!! You benefited from Pizzagate!!! Wait, suddenly you're terribly concerned about unverified news leaks?! Weren't you the one pedaling the whole birther movement, backed by an unverified "very reliable source" that he never disclosed to the public? Is there a greater example of bald hypocrisy than this?

...and then he complains that this is all like Nazi Germany. Seriously. (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-nazi-germany-tweet-doesn-article-1.2943473) Has he deleted that tweet yet?! When your incoming administration is belittling and silencing the press right after you chastise them during a press conference, you do not then get to cry about how you, the NEW LEADER OF THE COUNTRY, are suffering under Nazi-like conditions!

Here's a press question for you, mister president. What is the definition of 'fascism?' I'll give you a hint: the answer isn't "jail Hillary." You fuck.

mostlymad
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Strange. When I hear people blast Obama about his failings, and yes, there were plenty, or when people talk about the fucked-up way the ACA was malfunctioning (a deliberate result of the compromises) I just can't feel the outrage I used to feel. I feel a sad nostalgia for the way I used to be able to lambaste those parts of government. It seemed like there was a good fight ahead, and real changes were about to befall us. Raging at the politicians and judges used to feel like it would accomplish something. I feel that slipping away. In a few days, it seems we're going to be yelling into a void, if we have voices left.

Kodiak33
01-13-2017, 02:39 PM
The thing that depresses me the most, is exactly what Jinsai said above. This is the President of the United States, and it's real. It blows my mind...I don't know what else to say.

Deepvoid
01-13-2017, 06:23 PM
I wonder how bummed Trump is now that he's looked behind the curtain and has to acknowledge that Infowars and much of the 4chan conservative-leaning conspiracies peddled by Breitbart aren't real... like that moment a child realizes the easter bunny and Santa Claus are fake.

Breitbart's Washington correspondent had a reserved front row seat and asked a question more than CNN.

botley
01-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Make America Born Again

Jinsai
01-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Doonesbury predicted this press conference a month ago in a way that hit way too close to reality...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C17HW3FXcAAZjX0.jpg

elevenism
01-14-2017, 03:14 AM
Have Dems begun impeachment processes? Shouldn't Trump be impeached on day 1, given the egregious irregularities with his undisclosed finances? And unanswered questions about Russia?

Also: aren't Republicans supposed to be the most patriotic of the patriots? How come the vast majority of them seem entirely unconcerned whether Russia, through Trump, is gaining an inside influence on US policy? I know they crave power, but at what cost? The whole thing is really confusing.
Yes yes yes.
This is fucking insane. It has been proven that our election was influenced by fucking RUSSIA.
Imagine how that would have gone down in the 90s. This is just so fucking crazy. I don't understand what has changed or when, but we are now living in a new fucking era.

Jinsai
01-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Yes yes yes.
This is fucking insane. It has been proven that our election was influenced by fucking RUSSIA.
Imagine how that would have gone down in the 90s. This is just so fucking crazy. I don't understand what has changed or when, but we are now living in a new fucking era.

...or even try to wrap your head around the fact that this party's hero is Reagan. How is the "party of Reagan" suddenly chipper about the idea of extending an olive branch to Putin? If Reagan were alive today, he could still be suffering the final, terrible throws of dementia, and still he'd be screaming "what the fuck are you people talking about?! Have you all gone mad???! Russia just got caught red-handed tampering with our elections, got the result they wanted, and you're framing this as a good thing!!!!??"

I think somewhere around trying to articulate that last sentence there, Reagan's head would have exploded Scanners-style.

elevenism
01-14-2017, 04:45 AM
I think somewhere around trying to articulate that last sentence there, Reagan's head would have exploded Scanners-style.

Man, yes. Jesus. At least that last bit made me LOL.

I can't stand to hear any news about trump now. It's nice that these days you can choose which news stories you wish to view, because i straight up don't want to fucking hear it.

But i still catch bits and pieces of what's going on in the party because i'll catch a story that doesn't have trump's name in the title. Like "let's defund the ACA as soon as possible..."
so that in jan of 2018 we can choose between buying insurance for my 60 year old mother for $15,000 or some shit or letting my epileptic wife die of status epilepticus to ring in the new year.

Jinsai
01-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Man, yes. Jesus. At least that last bit made me LOL.

I can't stand to hear any news about trump now. It's nice that these days you can choose which news stories you wish to view, because i straight up don't want to fucking hear it.

But i still catch bits and pieces of what's going on in the party because i'll catch a story that doesn't have trump's name in the title. Like "let's defund the ACA as soon as possible..."
so that in jan of 2018 we can choose between buying insurance for my 60 year old mother for $15,000 or some shit or letting my epileptic wife die of status epilepticus to ring in the new year.

The reality of this will dawn on a lot of people very soon (http://elitedaily.com/social-news/trump-supporter-schooled-facebook-obamacare-affordable-care-act/1746982/), and they'll change their minds quietly while they change their anonymous opposition vocally... hopefully...

baudolino
01-14-2017, 05:19 AM
i lost all hope that this will end peacefully. the american-dream mantra didn't work anymore. disparity became too obvious. And produced an angry, irrational mob, who screams for vengeance (against whomever..the weakest i suppose)

botley
01-14-2017, 06:59 AM
I suppose you don't know that in Obama's final days, he just unlocked the fucking Eye of Sauron as a welcome gift for Trump. He just allowed other departments unfiltered access to NSA's bulk collection. Privacy protections are removed now.

Sounds like a great thing to give Trump. Right?

https://boingboing.net/2017/01/12/trumps-nsa-will-be-able-to-s.html

PRAISE OBAMA EVERYONE
I suppose you don't realize this has been in the works on a bureaucratic level for many years, even before Obama took office. I'm not defending the scope of the NSA's mandate, but given what it has been instructed to do, I'd rather Obama's administration have finalized this order with at least some limitations rather than left loopholes open for Trump to give himself more access legitimately. Read this perspective (https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/obama-expanding-nsa-powers/513041/?utm_source=nl-atlantic-daily-011317) from a lawmaker. There's enough hyperbole flying around here without your stupid Tolkein reference BTW.

elevenism
01-14-2017, 08:31 AM
The reality of this will dawn on a lot of people very soon (http://elitedaily.com/social-news/trump-supporter-schooled-facebook-obamacare-affordable-care-act/1746982/), and they'll change their minds quietly while they change their anonymous opposition vocally... hopefully...
Oh FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, @Jinsai (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) ? There are people who don't know what the ACA is?
Oh, wait. Okay. Yeah, we just elected fucking Donald Trump to the presidency, so that makes sense.

So yeah i can imagine trump supporters who didn't realize that their subsidy was "obamacare."

So yes, when this dawns on the poor and uninformed trump supporters who didn't realize that their assistance was "Obamacare," hopefully they raise holy hell.
Hopefully they will also change their political affiliation too when they realize that they've been voting against themselves their entire lives.

Here's a fun fact. Texas is one of the few states that chose to not expand medicaid, despite having a higher number of people who could have benefited from it that any other state in the union.

elevenism
01-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Also, sorry for double post, but @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) if you were reading what i said about my wife and mother as hyperbolic, it certainly wasn't.
She is epileptic, and prone to Status Epilepticus (as in she's had it a couple of times, to the point of seizure activity in her brain still going on DAYS after a seizure) and we can't afford her medicines. She literally nearly died in my arms 2 years ago. And 1 year ago she had to be taken to hospital by helicopter.

theimage13
01-14-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm not going to make it, four years of this shit. I don't even watch the news anymore because I am so fucking sick of Trump's voice and all the stupid shit that comes out of his mouth and this tweeting bullshit of his is ridiculous.

I've gone solely to online news for just this reason - I can at least just scroll past things if I don't have the strength to read them. I can't watch it on TV or have it on in the car, because...well, I really don't mean to sound insensitive here, but it feels kind of bipolar. By that I mean there are times where they can start talking about the president-elect in the news and I just kind of shrug and turn it down, but then there are times that just hearing his name on the radio literally makes my heart rate increase and a pure, somewhat irrational rage overcomes me.

This election has taught me so much about trying to see things from the other side. I hated, with a passion, all of the "Nobama" / "Obummer" people who didn't have the respect to use the fucking president's real name when they insulted him. And as much as I absolutely loathe, with all my heart, the president-elect, I can't actually bring myself to call him the Cheeto-Covered Cuntwaffle or anything like that, especially when trying to argue or debate in a civil manner.

I've never been this scared in my adult life. Thank god I have insurance through my employer now, but ironically, I only got it at first because of the ACA (now I've been there long enough that I'm eligible for the company's plan for career-path staff). If I leave, I'll have to pay for private insurance. And where I live, that's over $300 a month. So, scared about that. I'm also scared about going to war, because the president-elect can't keep his fucking fingers off of Twitter. I'm typically not one for censorship, but I wish they would ban him. If they needed a reason, they could go with hate speech, threat to national security, or both. Foreign nations are now saying they'll carefully consider what intel they share with us because they don't trust him to keep anything to himself. He's antagonizing people left and right.

You think he's going to "stop ISIS"? I'm calling right now: there will be substantially more attacks on American soil now because of him and his rhetoric.

And here's where it all feels even heavier: even if he does get impeached (he won't) or resign (he won't), Mike Pence becomes president. He may not be the tantrum-throwing blowhard that the president-elect is, but he's still a shit human being. Just look at his views on women and women's rights and tell me he's fit to sit in the Oval.

Sorry. I've tried very hard to ignore all of this and live in a bubble, but I had to get that off my chest.

botley
01-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Also, sorry for double post, but @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) if you were reading what i said about my wife and mother as hyperbolic, it certainly wasn't.
She is epileptic, and prone to Status Epilepticus (as in she's had it a couple of times, to the point of seizure activity in her brain still going on DAYS after a seizure) and we can't afford her medicines. She literally nearly died in my arms 2 years ago. And 1 year ago she had to be taken to hospital by helicopter.
Yeah, that wasn't directed at you; I TOTALLY empathise with your mom's situation. We talk a big game up here in Canada about socialised medicine but the privileges we enjoy (especially here in Ontario) are on razor thin ice. And it's justified sometimes as "well, hey, at least you don't have it as bad as the USA".

elevenism
01-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that wasn't directed at you; I TOTALLY empathise with your mom's situation. We talk a big game up here in Canada about socialised medicine but the privileges we enjoy (especially here in Ontario) are on razor thin ice. And it's justified sometimes as "well, hey, at least you don't have it as bad as the USA".
I then, sir, am sorry for the inference. I have a bad habit of taking and making things personal in this forum and it's something i'm trying to stop doing.

End Drift.
theimage13 , we used to watch CBSN on roku, but now we have gone back to the roku apps where you click story by story.
And it's really sad because we LOVE CBSN, but not as much as we hate hearing ANYTHING about trump.
As i've said before, i gave trump a chance. When he made his first cabinet pick, the chance was over.

theimage13
01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
As i've said before, i gave trump a chance. When he made his first cabinet pick, the chance was over.

I'll be honest, I didn't give him a chance. Even if you didn't know his twitter feed existed, this one instance was all it took for me to know that he has no business being a leader of any group at all, let alone one of the most powerful countries in the world. It's not the only reason (just one of hundreds), but it was all it took for me to lose any hope that maybe he wasn't so ignorant.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-26-2015/yOp4Sz.gif

Ladies and gentlemen, the 45th President of the United States of America.

GulDukat
01-14-2017, 09:54 AM
This is really happening. It's felt like a bad dream up until now.

GulDukat
01-14-2017, 10:05 AM
President Trump, and a speaker of the House that worships Ayn Rand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEyBKssP6Q

Swykk
01-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Agreed, @theimage13 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809). That was the lowest moment out of the thousands of low moments to select from.

And guys, I've said it before. Say he DOES get impeached. You really want Pence in there? We are fucked no matter what at this point. The GOP has called their shots--ACA, Social Security, Medicare, etc.

Oh yeah, they'll eventually get that SCOTUS seat filled too. And do you think Ginsburg will make it four years? I hope so, because they're going to go after abortion for the millionth time.

The damage is done.

implanted_microchip
01-14-2017, 10:26 AM
So, he called Civil Rights legend John Lewis "all talk" on Twitter ...

To think that Obama got shit on as not being "patriotic enough" over a goddamn flag pin and this guy gets to run around insulting every single person who has sacrificed and given more than he ever has in support of the betterment of this country, from war heroes to the families of dead soldiers to Civil Rights icons, and he still gets to tout this pseudo-patriotic, nationalistic image with zero flack from his fans is beyond me.

Your Name Here
01-14-2017, 11:23 AM
@theimage13 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809), I to wish that twitter would ban Trump but in less then a week he can login under another handle POTUS, it would be funny to see how enraged Trump would get at be banned, and the lunacy that would follow. Think about The President Of The United Stated being banned from twitter, (you can't write this shit) but even more funny then watching Trump lose his shit over a twitter account, would be watching how long it would take him to figure out that he is the president of the US and has access to all media. He can't post on twitter anymore he will just go on FOX NEWS and throw tantrums.
Aside from that, is my own personal speculation at what a Trump presidency will do to this country, he is already warming up to the petroleum companies, so expect higher gas pricing, throwing out the affordable care act without replacing it will put a lot of people in financially vulnerable positions. As the gas pricing rise and the health insurance premiums skyrocket, the economy will become unstable and begin to take a nose dive. Once the economy crashes the housing market will bottom out and the US is back in a full blown recession. Wasn't it Trump that said he looks forward to a recession for buying up property or something to that effect. With that going on and Trump's reckless mouth firing up unstable nations and unstable leaders throw in a war or two and the US economy could be destroyed. It sounds catastrophic and maybe a bit alarmist but it is clear Trump has no idea what he is doing or the consequences of his actions.
You can also expect as well as Trump upholding the second amendment so a five year old can take a gun to school for show and tell, he will be shitting all over the first amendment and soon anybody writing or saying anything bad about him and his Presidency could be looking at jail time for treason. And soon a president becomes an emperor.
The other thing will be watching how long the Trump supporters will stand by him before they realize this guys an asshole and he is not going to do anything that will benefit them.
These are the most uncertain times not only for this country but the entire world. As funny as all of the stupid shit Trump has said and done already from Golden Shower gate to endless rants on twitter, there will be a time when this shit isn't funny anymore and it is down right fucking scary and that time and realization is not that far away.
I have had many people say to me "Trump won't make it four years" what do they think is going to happen? He is already power hungry and narcissistic, wait until he figures out how much power legal or illegal he can manipulate as president and the birth of a tyrant is born.
For me this shit isn't funny anymore, as much as I thought it was funny to watch Colbert and Bill Maher mock him and make endless jokes of the lunacy of Trump it was funny when he was a candidate in the election but it won't be funny as the President of the United States.

marodi
01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
This is really happening. It's felt like a bad dream up until now.

You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Yep.

Jinsai
01-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Agreed, @theimage13 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809). That was the lowest moment out of the thousands of low moments to select from.

How do you choose? I don't know, to hear the president invoke Nazi Germany like that... what the hell is going on. That was really alarming. There's people with a lack of self awareness, and then there's this guy. How can you pull that out when your campaign was endorsed by David Duke and your victory was celebrated with actual Nazi parades is just beyond comprehension.

And guys, I've said it before. Say he DOES get impeached. You really want Pence in there? We are fucked no matter what at this point. The GOP has called their shots--ACA, Social Security, Medicare, etc.

The question is, what will happen if impeachment proceedings actually gain traction, and Trump is told to stand down? Do you think he will? Do you think his dim witted supporters are going to just politely crawl back into their caves? Do you think that if Donald Trump were faced with the choice between relinquishing his seat and capitulating, or invoking "patriotic" rebellion under his banner, he would choose the former? There's a lot of potentially catastrophic routes to global war right now; we don't need to skate around a potential mini civil war as a prelude.

The damage is done.

I do love your optimism

hellospaceboy
01-14-2017, 05:18 PM
My new goal in life is to be half the "all talk, no action" guy John Lewis is!!!

botley
01-14-2017, 07:56 PM
That "lawmaker" didn't even make the case that was being claimed: that it would stop Trump from expanding it more. I also love how he goes into nuance on the legal side so he can torture the logic to death, but takes inaccurately broad strokes when it comes time to talk about the technical details... so he doesn't have to admit how bad this change really is.
SHE was making the case that the incoming administration is actively hostile to privacy, which is a matter of record, and that there was rationale for what the outgoing President did in:that light.

I haven't read that much Orwellian double-speak in quite some time.

Eye of Sauron is an accurate depiction of the raw collection process
Maybe you should re-read The Lord of the Rings, because it's supposed to be an allegory for the corrupting influence of an evil man over his blind followers, not anything to do with mass surveillance. It is a far better metaphor for Trump himself, really. Hey, while you're at it, re-read Orwell — doublethink is a word in Newspeak, double-speak is not.

snaapz
01-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Why does everyone hate Trump? (I'm not American so I'm not privy to all the ongoing and bad things he has done).

He's not even president yet and he's been marked as a terrible president.

I seem to be the only one who hopes he does a good job.

As for the golden shower rumor... you do know you're in a Nine Inch Nails form right? Unless you missed the 90's this shit (peoples dark desires) shouldn't surprise you.

Anyways I'm honest in asking why everyone hates him. The whole Muslim thing was stupid and I pray that was just some stunt to get redneck votes. Pence stated that "calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional" so I hope that's the end of that.

telee.kom
01-15-2017, 08:07 AM
Well this is kind of a big news right?

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/13/obama-opens-nsas-vast-trove-of-warrantless-data-to-entire-intelligence-community-just-in-time-for-trump/

Louie_Cypher
01-15-2017, 08:36 AM
when the going get's tough tweet!
-louie

theimage13
01-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Why does everyone hate Trump? (I'm not American so I'm not privy to all the ongoing and bad things he has done).

I seem to be the only one who hopes he does a good job.

As for the golden shower rumor... you do know you're in a Nine Inch Nails form right? Unless you missed the 90's this shit (peoples dark desires) shouldn't surprise you.

Anyways I'm honest in asking why everyone hates him. The whole Muslim thing was stupid and I pray that was just some stunt to get redneck votes. Pence stated that "calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional" so I hope that's the end of that.

Despite all the hatred, I think anyone with a brain doesn't actually want him to fail - it's like saying "man, our pilot's a total cunt, I hope he crashes this plane in the mountains and kills us all". We don't want failure, but we expect it.

So why do we hate him?

-Lack of class
-Lack of basic decency or respect
-Terrible role model for our youth
-Terrible example of adult behavior
-Serial liar (I'm talking way beyond the whole "politicians lie" thing)
-Lack of any real indication of what the hell he plans to do (We're gonna have a plan, and it's gonna...believe me, it's gonna be great. So great. I'm so smart, smarter than you, you wouldn't believe how smart I am. My plan is gonna be the best plan. This is how he talks. Like a twelve year old lying his way through a book report on a novel he never opened.)
-During campaign: called for his supporters to shoot Hilary Clinton
-During campaign: called on Russia to hack Clinton's emails
-Has blatantly insulted every single minority, and repeatedly berates women
-Bragged about sexually assaulting people
-Quite possibly, though still not conclusively proven, worked with Russia to smear the Clinton campaign

Fuck, my fingers are getting sore.

If you want the short answer on why we hate him, read his Twitter page. Just go through and scroll for the last few months. Tell me that your blood isn't boiling.

Sallos
01-15-2017, 01:24 PM
I'm going to refer the POTUS-elect as Il Duce from now on. My lack of respect for him is so low, I'm not going to bother saying his name.

http://i.imgur.com/GXquOer.jpg

Khrz
01-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Despite all the hatred, I think anyone with a brain doesn't actually want him to fail - it's like saying "man, our pilot's a total cunt, I hope he crashes this plane in the mountains and kills us all". We don't want failure, but we expect it.

I kinda hope he fails, sorry guys. I know it would be absolutely terrible for the US citizen, and I feel bad just saying it, but when I see the people around the world cheering and hoping they can ride the Trump wave home, I really hope he crashes hard. Otherwise, populist parties will have a field day around the world, and that's even worse news for everyone.

mostlymad
01-15-2017, 01:38 PM
I just want to add, I don't want us all to fail and crash. I want almost everything he's promised to do to our country to fail. For instance, he apparently plans to ban the press from the White House. Now, I may be prone to anxiety and panic, but this has to be making most people paying attention feel a little uneasy. I want the wall to fail, the Muslim registration to fail... Not the whole country or the world, in general.

Khrz
01-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Read 2 posts above yours. It got completely ignored beyond that. It's amazing how similar progressives are to neocons in most aspects. We are back to emotivism as politics once again.

On the other hand, what did you expect from a thread entitled after a simplistically political dystopia NIN album?

This is obviously a thread destined for people who want to voice their disarray about Trump's stewardship. I know you don't have a high standard regarding the political discourse in this forum (or too high a standard perhaps?), but did you really expect a level-headed analysis of the Obama years in a thread like this?

That's like a vegan raging in a steakhouse. You're not wrong, you just set yourself up for your own disappointment (or you just wanted an easy target).

Louie_Cypher
01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
i won't call him president I didn't refer to Georgie boy as prez either I call him con-don twit head, or hachac, the orange and naked emperor
-louie

Khrz
01-15-2017, 02:56 PM
lol fair. But I'm not the only one who thought this was intended to be a US politics post-election discussion thread with a humorous title.

Well I think it's also that, you're not wrong, only it's a very biased one. You can try to create a bipartisan /multipartisan thread, see how it goes.

GulDukat
01-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Looks like only 541 people "like" 3 Doors Down on their OFFICIAL facebook page. How is that possible? There are bar bands with more likes. Did their fans just unlike the page en masse?

theimage13
01-15-2017, 03:24 PM
On the other hand, what did you expect from a thread entitled after a simplistically political dystopia NIN album?

This is obviously a thread destined for people who want to voice their disarray about Trump's stewardship. I know you don't have a high standard regarding the political discourse in this forum (or too high a standard perhaps?), but did you really expect a level-headed analysis of the Obama years in a thread like this?

That's like a vegan raging in a steakhouse. You're not wrong, you just set yourself up for your own disappointment (or you just wanted an easy target).

More accurately: why would we be discussing the outgoing president in a thread about the incoming one? It'd be like starting a thread for Robin Finck and then going "guys look what Aaron North just did".

theimage13
01-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Looks like only 541 people "like" 3 Doors Down on their OFFICIAL facebook page. How is that possible? There are bar bands with more likes. Did their fans just unlike the page en masse?

I think you just don't know how Facebook works ;)

https://www.facebook.com/3DoorsDown/

6,189,151 Likes
(https://www.facebook.com/3DoorsDown/likes?__xt__=33.%7B%22logging_data%22%3A%7B%22page _id%22%3A6639618181%2C%22event_type%22%3A%22clicke d_view_page_likes%22%2C%22impression_info%22%3A%22 eyJmIjp7Iml0ZW1fY291bnQiOiIxIn19%22%2C%22surface%2 2%3A%22www_pages_highlights%22%2C%22interacted_sto ry_type%22%3A%221590816584549938%22%2C%22session_i d%22%3A%222b839eb6add52c7fee85754a6d3dce39%22%7D%7 D)

GulDukat
01-15-2017, 03:41 PM
I think you just don't know how Facebook works ;)

https://www.facebook.com/3DoorsDown/

6,189,151 Likes
(https://www.facebook.com/3DoorsDown/likes?__xt__=33.%7B%22logging_data%22%3A%7B%22page _id%22%3A6639618181%2C%22event_type%22%3A%22clicke d_view_page_likes%22%2C%22impression_info%22%3A%22 eyJmIjp7Iml0ZW1fY291bnQiOiIxIn19%22%2C%22surface%2 2%3A%22www_pages_highlights%22%2C%22interacted_sto ry_type%22%3A%221590816584549938%22%2C%22session_i d%22%3A%222b839eb6add52c7fee85754a6d3dce39%22%7D%7 D)Okay. I think I was looking at an unofficial page. Now I am surprised to see 6 milion likes!

theimage13
01-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Who the fuck inherits the powers that are growing?

Someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about the intelligence community, suggesting to me that there's nothing to be done about this?

cahernandez
01-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Okay. I think I was looking at an unofficial page. Now I am surprised to see 6 milion likes!

Out of curiosity, I just checked and NIN has 3.6 million likes "only". Goddamn...I know NIN is not a band with mass appeal, but I'd imagine that they'd have more likes than 3 doors down! The world is twisted.

Dr Channard
01-15-2017, 05:34 PM
What does anyone here think the likelihood of the border wall being built is? Trump consistently vowed to build it throughout the campaign, and it seemed like something his supporters ate up. But he also vowed that Mexico would fund the wall, but now that farce has been exposed it sounds like he’s asking congress for the money, and continuing the pretense that Mexico will pay but later. Congress wouldn’t do it would they? If the republican thing is to shrink the federal government, then why not tell the southern states that if they want a damn wall then their state has to fund the construction and maintenance of the thing? It’s easy to vote yes, but let’s see you vote yes with the hand your own wallet is in.

Khrz
01-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Out of curiosity, I just checked and NIN has 3.6 million likes "only". Goddamn...I know NIN is not a band with mass appeal, but I'd imagine that they'd have more likes than 3 doors down! The world is twisted.

Well comparing a pre- and post- Internet bands about the amount of likes they get fatally ends up with lopsided results. After all NIN 's demographic is a tad more, how to put it... "honorable"?

Us old farts tend to not really care about" liking" the bands we actually like.

That's the first time I ever heard about that band, and probably the last I guess, now.

Also, there's a Bruce Springsteen cover band invited to that thing? Now that's funny.

Dr Channard
01-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Like, a half pipe?

Bet you didn’t know Trump was totally rad like that! http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/icons/icon6.png

Jinsai
01-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Why does everyone hate Trump? (I'm not American so I'm not privy to all the ongoing and bad things he has done)..

You're on the internet. You're privy.

cahernandez
01-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Well comparing a pre- and post- Internet bands about the amount of likes they get fatally ends up with lopsided results. After all NIN 's demographic is a tad more, how to put it... "honorable"?

Us old farts tend to not really care about" liking" the bands we actually like.

That's the first time I ever heard about that band, and probably the last I guess, now.

Also, there's a Bruce Springsteen cover band invited to that thing? Now that's funny.

3 Doors Down is also a pre-internet band, and it's a very average band...super bland (formed in 1996). I'd understand if a mainstream act from the same era, of a lesser caliber than NIN but with more mass appeal, like the RHCP, No Doubt, etc. would have a bigger FB fanbase than NIN, but fucking 3 Doors Down? Damn.

Khrz
01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
3 Doors Down is also a pre-internet band, and it's a very average band...

Silver-lining, my total ignorance can be interpreted as a testament to my good taste !

Star
01-15-2017, 10:22 PM
What does anyone here think the likelihood of the border wall being built is? Trump consistently vowed to build it throughout the campaign, and it seemed like something his supporters ate up. But he also vowed that Mexico would fund the wall, but now that farce has been exposed it sounds like he’s asking congress for the money, and continuing the pretense that Mexico will pay but later. Congress wouldn’t do it would they? If the republican thing is to shrink the federal government, then why not tell the southern states that if they want a damn wall then their state has to fund the construction and maintenance of the thing? It’s easy to vote yes, but let’s see you vote yes with the hand your own wallet is in.

It is getting built, plans are already in the works. Things will get done quickly. There is/was a plan posted on the Trump candidate website outlining everything that will get done in the first "number of days" I can't remember how long.

sick among the pure
01-15-2017, 11:23 PM

As mentioned above, you have the internet. Look up literally anything about him, his campaign promises, his picks for government positions, any of his tweets, any of his press conferences, any sentence that's come out of his mouth in the last year or two. Look at what repercussions have occurred across the US since the election, perpetrated by people saying it's ok because Trump is the president now.

His influence doesn't magically start after inauguration.

Sarah K
01-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Things Sarah never thought would happen in her life: Defending Donald fucking Trump for being kink shamed.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

There are 8903280843.9 legitimate reasons to criticize him. No need to latch onto irrelevant shit.

Khrz
01-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Things Sarah never thought would happen in her life: Defending Donald fucking Trump for being kink shamed.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

There are 8903280843.9 legitimate reasons to criticize him. No need to latch onto irrelevant shit.

Of all the suspected things about him, his sexual preferences are the thing in which I'm the least interested. Unless it's criminal, I don't give a fuck. It's downright childish, mind your own ass. That's what I hated when our press tried to make a whole thing because our president cheated on his wife, or when the previous one married a singer/model right after his divorce. I don't give a fuck. Sexual preferences and behavior isn't a gauge of probity.

slave2thewage
01-16-2017, 03:29 AM
Lol, 3 Doors Down. They must have been a North American thing only, because I remember the name but not a single track of theirs. I looked up their biggest hit and, nope, don't remember it all. Christ, I remember Staind and Puddle of Mudd.

Deepvoid
01-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Trump is definitely the dumbest president you guys have elected. This news story is awesome. (https://www.rt.com/business/373832-trump-german-cars-tariff/)

Trump threatened to impose the tariff on US-bound BMW automobiles produced at plant in Mexico, scheduled to open in 2019.
Trump also accused German cars producers of unfair behavior. There is a Mercedes-Benz in front of every house on some American streets, he said.

"How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none, you can see nothing over there, it's a one-way street,” Trump said. The US president-elect added he is pro-free trade, but not at all costs. “It must be a clever trade for me,” he said.

To this, Gabriel [Germany's Economy Minister] replied that "the US needs to build better cars."

SchwarzerAbt
01-16-2017, 11:17 AM
"How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany? Not too many, maybe none, you can see nothing over there, it's a one-way street; Trump said."[/I]

There are Chevrolet in Germany, but those are actually Daewoo with the Chevrolet sign instead of the original Daewoo sign. I think the idea for that was to give the cars a more expensive feel. (Both brands belong to General Motors). But ultimately it failed and I think now they stopped selling those altogether.

So yeah, not many Chevrolets on the streets here. And even the few cars you will see are made in Korea and not in Great America. :D

Jinsai
01-16-2017, 01:05 PM
It is getting built, plans are already in the works. Things will get done quickly. There is/was a plan posted on the Trump candidate website outlining everything that will get done in the first "number of days" I can't remember how long.

Except it isn't, and none of the details regarding the plan to build it have been clearly outlined. What good is this wall (now that he's offered the one bit of clarification that it "will be a wall" and not partially a fence) if it's just a wall. You need to hire security to patrol it, set up surveillance cameras, etc... and I don't think this is what Trump was implying when he was saying he was going to create jobs. Outside of the ludicrous cost it will incur to just build a physical wall across the entire Mexican border, there are upkeep, maintenance, surveillance, and management costs. How thick is this wall? How tall? Do you think nobody is going to try to, uh, harm or deface it in some way? You're going to need a pretty alert team (again, across that entire border) to make sure someone doesn't... I dunno... fly drones loaded with cocaine over it in some unmonitored section.

And I think you're thinking of "the first 100 days." If you think even 50% of his 'first 100 days' promises are actually going to happen, I've got a border wall to sell you. It's tremendous.

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

The whole piss-play thing is an absurdist side-note to a larger issue, and I think it's being thrown around because it's the sort of thing that his sexually prudish legion will find horrifying. There's the added intent in the kink there that involves him wallowing in a gesture meant to disrespect the Obamas, but it's still not the biggest true concern in there. I say this, all the while believing that the whole thing is almost certainly (at least for the most part) nonsense.

Dr Channard
01-16-2017, 09:41 PM

Guess my question was more about congress and less about Trump. He claimed the whole time that Mexico was going to pay to build the wall, but Mexico has exposed his hogwash and bluster with a firm “no!” So now supposedly he is going to congress for the funds. Would congress agree to fund this albatross? I don’t keep up with politics that much but it sounds like republicans control the majority of the government at this point, so could they do it?

Jinsai
01-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Guess my question was more about congress and less about Trump. He claimed the whole time that Mexico was going to pay to build the wall, but Mexico has exposed his hogwash and bluster with a firm “no!” So now supposedly he is going to congress for the funds. Would congress agree to fund this albatross? I don’t keep up with politics that much but it sounds like republicans control the majority of the government at this point, so could they do it?

no... the whole idea of "the wall" was fantasy and fever dreams... Conceptually it's idiotic and implausible in any effective way. You can't build this unnecessary and totally unworkable gut-punch to our economy without someone grabbing you by the shoulder and telling you to slow your roll.

Louie_Cypher
01-17-2017, 07:50 AM
there will be no wall, obama had a super majority. look what he got done,
noything to see here back real house wifes of keristain America.
Louie

allegro
01-17-2017, 11:49 AM
there will be no wall, obama had a super majority. look what he got done,
noything to see here back real house wifes of keristain America.
Louie

There already is a wall (http://m.nextgov.com/defense/2015/09/dhs-has-switched-digital-wall-along-southern-arizona-border/119942/)

elevenism
01-17-2017, 12:49 PM
My main fear is that Trump will tweet us into World War 3.

When he said "let there be an arms race," i imagine there were serious meetings held by governments around the world, to discuss the implications.

And now "NATO is obsolete."

That's fucking comforting.

theimage13
01-17-2017, 01:09 PM

THIS IS VERY DIFFICULT.

THANK YOU.

Latch onto supporting assault. Latch onto his abuse. Latch onto literally every other Russian allegation. Latch onto his temper. Latch onto his danger. Latch onto something that actually fucking matters. I know piss makes for easy jokes, but obsessing over that is like constantly making fun of his hair.

joplinpicasso
01-17-2017, 01:35 PM
but obsessing over that is like constantly making fun of his hair.

Thank YOU. I hate this man but I also hate that shit ^^^.

Jinsai
01-17-2017, 10:49 PM
oh man, please don't make me boycott Girl Scout Cookies! PLEASE?!

implanted_microchip
01-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Today in her commencement hearing Betsy DeVos revealed that she does not understand the sifference between proficiency and growth, doesn't oppose guns in schools and doesn't think we should federally protect disabled children and that instead it should be left up to the states, as well as refusing to say that she doesn't think we should get rid of public schooling.

Our next Secretary of Education, everybody!

But y'know Hillary's emails and all that right they were totally equally poor options obviously and Trump can't really be that bad

Space Suicide
01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
no... the whole idea of "the wall" was fantasy and fever dreams... Conceptually it's idiotic and implausible in any effective way. You can't build this unnecessary and totally unworkable gut-punch to our economy without someone grabbing you by the shoulder and telling you to slow your roll.

I understand the disdain for this man but you hit the nail on the head. Yeah he's in "charge" and has a loud mouth but to think any sane politician (even as morally bankrupt and corrupt as some can be) would greenlight or not fight his bullshit ideas and theories is a joke in an of itself. The wall idea was a joke even to the extent my Hispanic co worker even used it as joke fodder when he said he was gonna help build it. Any one that believed that crap for a second is naive. It's outrageous, so outrageous and literal no one should be offended to believe it.

He has a lot of hot air and pipe dreams but I guarantee 80%-90% of his plans or ideas never get off the ground. I bet everything he said prior to the election won't happen either, just like most front runners say and do.

Space Suicide
01-18-2017, 09:21 AM
https://trumpsingles.com/

wat?

joplinpicasso
01-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Hillary 2020!

Strawman 2017!

joplinpicasso
01-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Double post: Really troubled by Betsy DeVos.

implanted_microchip
01-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Double post: Really troubled by Betsy DeVos.
Yeah, she's horrifying. Elitist, inexperienced, ignorant and unprepared. Her commencement hearing was a nightmare come to life.

FineFinchTails
01-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Inauguration of the Mechanical Trump

theimage13
01-18-2017, 11:01 AM
https://trumpsingles.com/

wat?

Forgive me, as I haven't actually clicked on the link. Has he started a line of individually wrapped cheese products for sandwiches? As much as I hate the man, I'm pretty much always willing to try new imitation cheese.

Space Suicide
01-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Forgive me, as I haven't actually clicked on the link. Has he started a line of individually wrapped cheese products for sandwiches? As much as I hate the man, I'm pretty much always willing to try new imitation cheese.

Fitting. It's a dating site for his suppprters. Just as fake.

Dr Channard
01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
I understand the disdain for this man but you hit the nail on the head. Yeah he's in "charge" and has a loud mouth but to think any sane politician (even as morally bankrupt and corrupt as some can be) would greenlight or not fight his bullshit ideas and theories is a joke in an of itself. The wall idea was a joke even to the extent my Hispanic co worker even used it as joke fodder when he said he was gonna help build it. Any one that believed that crap for a second is naive. It's outrageous, so outrageous and literal no one should be offended to believe it.

He has a lot of hot air and pipe dreams but I guarantee 80%-90% of his plans or ideas never get off the ground. I bet everything he said prior to the election won't happen either, just like most front runners say and do.

That’s the part that has me questioning things now. Not that long ago I thought this guy’s candidacy and campaign for president were a joke. Most, including the establishment republicans treated him as a joke. The only person with a media presence who took Trump serious was, Trump. And now here we are with president Trump. Suddenly the absurdities of yesterday seem more like the realities of today. It doesn’t feel like a big leap at this point to think maybe he could garner the support necessary to do something like the wall, especially if it is seen as popular among the voters who have put the republicans in a strong position right now. I’d like to think congress will put him in his place, checks and balances and all that, but damn things just feel weird right now.

allegate
01-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Out of curiosity, I just checked and NIN has 3.6 million likes "only". Goddamn...I know NIN is not a band with mass appeal, but I'd imagine that they'd have more likes than 3 doors down! The world is twisted.Well, I would imagine it's mostly because we don't use Facebook for liking NIN since we have this forum?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scottish-paper-describes-trump-inauguration-as-return-of-the-twilight-zone/

President Trump: The Inauguration
4pm, BBC One/STV
After a long absence, The Twilight Zone returns with one of the most ambitious, expensive and controversial productions in broadcast history. Sci-fi writers have dabbled often with alternative history stories – among the most common is the “What if The Nazis Had Won The Second World War” setting – but this huge interactive virtual reality project, which will unfold on TV, in the press, and on Twitter over the next four years, sets out to build an ongoing alternative present.
The story begins in a nightmarish version of 2017 in which huge sections of the US electorate have somehow been duped into voting to make Donald Trump president. It sounds far-fetched, and it is, but as it goes on it becomes more and more chillingly plausible. Today’s feature-length opener concentrates on the gaudy inauguration of President Trump, and the stirrings of protest and despair surrounding the ceremony, while pundits speculate gravely on what lies ahead.
It’s a flawed piece, but a disturbing glimpse of the horrors we could stumble into, if we’re not careful.”

theimage13
01-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Here's where I'm concerned though:

Supreme Court.

First of all, I'm still utterly outraged over the Republicans refusing to do their job and deny President Obama his SCOTUS appointment. There should be a mandate that any staged block like that results in a forfeit of vote and those who are willing to do their job can proceed. Now, the right are going to have at LEAST one person to put on the bench; quite probably more than that. By 2020, the Supreme Court will be staggeringly conservative, and we'll be facing the repeal of hard-fought victories as well as the creation of new ass-backwards, precedent-setting cases. Especially from a civil rights perspective, we'll probably be knocked back for the foreseeable future.

Secondly, on a similar note, Republicans control everything on the federal level now. If it were a Democrat-controlled house or something, that would be one story. But the left has no stopping power now. Anything the right wants to do, they can. Sure, he's said a lot of whackadoodle stuff that'll never happen. But there's pretty much no one to stop him from doing what he does decide to push forward with. And that (in addition to his twitter feed and general temperament) is what worries me.

WorzelG
01-18-2017, 02:01 PM
I like this speech by Joe Biden
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/18/joe-bidens-final-speech-at-davos.html

allegate
01-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Here's where I'm concerned though:

Supreme Court.

First of all, I'm still utterly outraged over the Republicans refusing to do their job and deny President Obama his SCOTUS appointment. There should be a mandate that any staged block like that results in a forfeit of vote and those who are willing to do their job can proceed. Now, the right are going to have at LEAST one person to put on the bench; quite probably more than that. By 2020, the Supreme Court will be staggeringly conservative, and we'll be facing the repeal of hard-fought victories as well as the creation of new ass-backwards, precedent-setting cases. Especially from a civil rights perspective, we'll probably be knocked back for the foreseeable future.

Secondly, on a similar note, Republicans control everything on the federal level now. If it were a Democrat-controlled house or something, that would be one story. But the left has no stopping power now. Anything the right wants to do, they can. Sure, he's said a lot of whackadoodle stuff that'll never happen. But there's pretty much no one to stop him from doing what he does decide to push forward with. And that (in addition to his twitter feed and general temperament) is what worries me.And are very close to controlling everything on a state level. What then? World domination?

allegro
01-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Now, the right are going to have at LEAST one person to put on the bench; quite probably more than that. By 2020, the Supreme Court will be staggeringly conservative
Nobody on the SCOTUS is set to retire; unless RBG suddenly dies, everything is likely to remain status quo except for the Trump appointee.

Currently, the Court is split with 4 Liberals and 4 Conservatives.

Associate Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan are on the Liberal side

Chief Justice John Roberts and Associate Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Anthony Kennedy on the Conservative side.

HOWEVER, Justice Kennedy is often the "swing vote" toward the Liberal side (as he has been for abortion rights on several occasions, and that's not likely to change; he also voted in favor of gay marriage laws).

And with the ACA, Justices Roberts AND Kennedy have were the swing vote toward the Liberal side.

The Court still largely believes in Stare Decisis (https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/stare_decisis). Even with the Casey (post-Roe abortion decision), only one segment of the prior decision was updated due to new medical technology, etc., but the overall decision was upheld.

The Democrats had a "staggering" majority in 2008. Two years later, they lost it. Badly. Keep that in mind.

theimage13
01-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I don't see RBG on the bench in four years. She's 83.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to her; she's got to be one of the most wonderful role models for young women. The fact that she's even there at 83 is a testament to how goddamn sharp her mind is, and that she's obviously a unique person.

Again, maybe it's pessimism. But the court will already lean right as soon as the new appointee is in place, and if RBG goes (retiring or otherwise), it'll be 6-3. So even if Kennedy "swings," it's still 5-4 to the right.

allegro
01-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I don't see RBG on the bench in four years. She's 83.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to her; she's got to be one of the most wonderful role models for young women. The fact that she's even there at 83 is a testament to how goddamn sharp her mind is, and that she's obviously a unique person.

Again, maybe it's pessimism. But the court will already lean right as soon as the new appointee is in place, and if RBG goes (retiring or otherwise), it'll be 6-3. So even if Kennedy "swings," it's still 5-4 to the right.

She's 83 and she has law clerks and she's doing very well. She could live well into her 90s. Remember, too, that there is a bi-partisan Judicial committee (currently with Republican majority, natch) that has to consider any SCOTUS nominee; then, the Committee can refer the nominee to the full Senate for consideration. (Senate's job is "advice and consent" per the Constitution.) The 2017 Senate count is 51 Republican seats and 47 Democrat seats.

As far as The Wall: See this (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/01/05/congress-looks-to-start-building-a-mexican-border-wall-within-months/?utm_term=.f945112c106e), and please DO be sure to read the comments because it shows what is outside of this echo chamber and reflects how Trump got into office.

theimage13
01-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Jesus fucking Christ (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-reportedly-plans-to-end-national-arts-funding_us_5880de61e4b070d8cad0e184)

Louie_Cypher
01-19-2017, 02:09 PM
the conformation hearing's are funny I haven't seen a potential train-wreak like this, since gomez Adam's basementhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apKFRI4W-wA,
-louie

aggroculture
01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
I am so angry at Republican voters who think any of this shit is good.

Archive_Reports
01-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Jesus fucking Christ (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-reportedly-plans-to-end-national-arts-funding_us_5880de61e4b070d8cad0e184)

The article does go on to outline that, despite what Trump suggests, Congress still has to approve the budget.

theimage13
01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
The article does go on to outline that, despite what Trump suggests, Congress still has to approve the budget.

My reaction isn't because I think it's going to be a one-day stroke of the pen and it happens. My reaction is because it's even being discussed as an intention.

Archive_Reports
01-19-2017, 03:50 PM
My reaction isn't because I think it's going to be a one-day stroke of the pen and it happens. My reaction is because it's even being discussed as an intention.

That's fair, but are the arts more important than a better universal healthcare system? (I know it's not a 1:1 comparison but money has to come from somewhere.)

thevoid99
01-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Can we count the days of when the impeachment of Il Duce will come?

marodi
01-19-2017, 05:46 PM
We could also count the days of when he's going to cause an international diplomatic incident.

allegate
01-19-2017, 05:48 PM
That's fair, but are the arts more important than a better universal healthcare system? (I know it's not a 1:1 comparison but money has to come from somewhere.)
Healthy minds = healthy bodies, right? And I'm only sorta facetious.

Your Name Here
01-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Less then 24 hours before the biggest joke with a four year punchline trashes the most prestigious elected office in the United States.

Khrz
01-19-2017, 06:10 PM

It was created during the depression as a means to create jobs, which produce wealth, which is re-injected in the economy. Culture is one of your most important assets, economically. Your music is as ubiquitous as your films, your books are sold worldwide. You need this asset to stay alive, to stay relevant. You need new blood constantly, you need incentives, you need to create sponsorship.
Otherwise, your culture will start to eat itself and recycle itself, and another region of the world will start to lead and become more interesting than you. And then, you'll just be a big country with a lot of guns.

When it comes to how much it costs, seriously, it has to be a drop in the ocean. You won't get a good healthcare because you save up on art. It's purely symbolical.

sweeterthan
01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Please tell me this is not real and is a bullshit rumor started by snarky planner. Because if it's real, I think my trump anxiety just jumped a couple notches.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/19/report-trump-will-get-20-plane-flyover.html?via=mobile&source=copyurl
Let it be fake. Let it be fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theimage13
01-19-2017, 06:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, that's me reacting to the notion that he's working on a universal healthcare system.

Archive_Reports
01-19-2017, 07:03 PM
allegate Kinda?
Khrz None of that is untrue. That said, a penny here a penny there...
theimage13 I could be wrong but I don't believe the AHCA can just go away and am pretty sure that it has to be replaced with something else.

Look, I'm not saying I agree with anything that Trump is trying to do but, as allegro pointed out, it can become a bit of an echo chamber in here.

Khrz
01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Khrz None of that is untrue. That said, a penny here a penny there...

I'm sorry, but have you checked your military budget recently? You're a landlocked country with no enemies in direct vicinity, and the budget to re-enact Starship Troopers for real.

That kind of economy is a failure. Restricting government services, defunding cultural entities, its only patching tiny holes by creating breaches. You're not funding anything that way, and you're certainly not building a whole healtcare system out of quarters. Not that they announced they wanted to fund anything in the first place, mind you.

Sutekh
01-19-2017, 07:59 PM
The USA? It isn't landlocked, it has two absolutely huge coasts bordering the Atlantic and Pacific, and Alaska is a stone's throw from Russia, who are approaching their centenary as its major military rival

Khrz
01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
The USA? It isn't landlocked, it has two absolutely huge coasts bordering the Atlantic and Pacific, and Alaska is a stone's throw from Russia, who are approaching their centenary as its major military rival

Sorry, wrong word indeed, I meant the exact opposite. And yeah, Russia's your rival and who knows how this will escalate in the coming years, but it's not like they're lining their eastern border with tanks, are they?

I know the military analogy isn't the best one, but it was that : an analogy. On one hand you have a tiny artistic sponsorship getting defunded, on the other hand you have ridiculously huge security spendings. You're bleeding money in external and internal conflicts, but yeah, sure, let's cut down on culture, this should fix that.

It's moronic to think that such restrictions will even make a dent in the US economy. That's like treating a headache with aspirin and ignoring the internal bleeding.

I'm not even saying that military budgets should be reduced, I'm just saying that patching up stuff won't work. It's the illusion of action.

tony.parente
01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
I didn't think I would be, but I'm legitimately sad today. This fuckin sucks.

Frozen Beach
01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
I know everybody knows CNN is awful, but I can't help but laugh at this
http://i65.tinypic.com/33aebeh.jpg

This fellow Hoosier is at the Inauguration. His timeline over the last day has been informative.

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/822466347867271168
I find it odd how this guy hasn't tweeted any photos or videos of any of these things. If I were there, I'd be tweeting pictures like mad. Practically every cellphone has a camera nowadays.

Swykk
01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
This fellow Hoosier is at the Inauguration. His timeline over the last day has been informative.

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/822466347867271168

GulDukat
01-20-2017, 09:56 AM
I didn't think I would be, but I'm legitimately sad today. This fuckin sucks.Yeah, sad day.

GulDukat
01-20-2017, 10:30 AM
President Trump might want to read this:
http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/advice/a33367/how-to-button-suit-jacket/

ryanmcfly
01-20-2017, 11:05 AM
I still can't get over this shit.

telee.kom
01-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Is murica still there guys?

Sarah K
01-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Everyone remember to do your Planned Parenthood donations today, please. <3

allegro
01-20-2017, 11:28 AM
President Trump might want to read this:
http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/advice/a33367/how-to-button-suit-jacket/

My Boss and I have been laughing at Trump's too-long Big Top Clown Tie all morning.

And Kellyanne Conway is a human flag.

october_midnight
01-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Ugh, Rob Sheridan just posted this from his Twitter timelie:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2ofNLoVEAAtCz4.jpg:large

sweeterthan
01-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Protest turning violent in D.C. https://twitter.com/cnn/status/822513553764679680

It's live on MSNBC right now.

Wretchedest
01-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Why attack a random Starbucks at the expense of our credibility. wth

implanted_microchip
01-20-2017, 02:12 PM
President Trump might want to read this

He's openly said he hates reading, so I doubt it!

thevoid99
01-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Has anyone thrown eggs or anything else during the parade?

joplinpicasso
01-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Because: the left

Haven't you seen the majority of protests recently? THE CORPORATIONS GUYS!

Strawman 2017!

cashpiles (closed)
01-20-2017, 04:11 PM
Fuck CNN. Agenda much? Feeling hurt about Trump calling them out for the lying scum they are?

GulDukat
01-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Fuck CNN. Agenda much? Feeling hurt about Trump calling them out for the lying scum they are?Example?

Khrz
01-20-2017, 04:14 PM
You know CNN fucked up when cashpiles is infuriated by their level of mythomania.

cashpiles (closed)
01-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Example?

The example is the infamous golden showers dossier that CNN reported on... All information contained within it is as of yet unsubstantiated. There is 0 evidence to support it.

joplinpicasso
01-20-2017, 04:23 PM
The VP pick for Hillary 2020.

Who will run on the too-cool-for-school, digital-punk-who-sees-through-it-all ticket?

Sutekh
01-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Have to say I figured trump was just pandering to the far right just to maximise his vote... I mean he won't condemn David duke but addresses an aipac conference and tells netanyahu to hang in there (and by the way how the fuck do white nationalists who support him yet blame Israel/Jews for all their problems slice that one? I know they aren't the smartest bunch but their alternate universe does usually have internal logic)

Bit mental having that Franklin guy speak at his inauguration though... you know... the one who went to Russia and said gays should be locked up so they can't brainwash kids. But who knows, perhaps it's another play in the same vein

I always saw pre politics trump as a neo liberal sponge (happy to use tax money to develop property but won't pay tax himself. Isn't that just corporate welfare?), but never thought of him as actually far right.

And now we have him espousing protectionism while Xi Jinping raves about free trade... I might just burn my degrees because nothing makes any sense

But yes, very amusing to see people who've been telling me govt interference in business is basically communism suddenly rave about trump spooking car factories into remaining in the USA via Twitter. It's almost as if they never really had any values or thought anything through. But I guess I'm a condescending elitist for pointing out this unarguable discrepancy ;)

If only it were as simple as him being a cheeto Mussolini... I think it's going to be a lot more interesting (for better or worse)

allegate
01-20-2017, 04:46 PM
The example is the infamous golden showers dossier that CNN reported on... All information contained within it is as of yet unsubstantiated. There is 0 evidence to support it.
Could say the same thing about a lot of his threats/promises sooooo.

joplinpicasso
01-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Hillary? lol
That'll happen right after Bernie wins the 2016 election. I hear there is still a chance.

You're not making sense. Oh well. Make America Vague Again.

GulDukat
01-20-2017, 04:54 PM
The example is the infamous golden showers dossier that CNN reported on... All information contained within it is as of yet unsubstantiated. There is 0 evidence to support it.Did they say it was legit, or did they just report that Buzzfeed leaked what was on the dossier?

Sutekh
01-20-2017, 05:30 PM
To be fair... No we haven't seen the proof, but it's not like it was max Clifford or the Kremlin who produced the dossier, it was an ex SIS operative who has quietly been compiling these kinds of dossiers for years and has an impeccable reputation

It's a tricky one because it is of course very good form to not believe unless you have proof, but on the other hand there is the calibre of the source, which is very hard to dismiss if you sincerely know who he is. Also the fact that the dossier was going around for months and nobody said anything - the leak itself is cold war esque rostrum style shots, as if someone was alone with it briefly and whipped a camera out. I don't believe it until I see it, but neither will I automatically scoff or dismiss it. The only sensible verdict is "who knows?"

cashpiles (closed)
01-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Did they say it was legit, or did they just report that Buzzfeed leaked what was on the dossier?

That's true. I have to get my information from other sources.

allegate
01-20-2017, 05:55 PM
how about #NotMyPresident? Anyone down with that?
I prefer #NotMyProblem

I never understood that one. If you're an American citizen, he kind of is.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/20/military-refused-trumps-bid-to-parade-missile-launchers-at-inauguration/

What the ever-loving fuck.

joplinpicasso
01-20-2017, 06:23 PM
I mean, im just kinda shit posting since the thread isnt very serious... but yeah. It's the same logic as the people out here who were flying the flag of Mexico to protest Trump winning.

We agree that it is a dumb act of 'protest'. (By the way, I would never say #NotMyPresident)

thevoid99
01-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Well, Il Duce supporter/Alt-right supporter Richard Spencer got punched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rh1dhur4aI

Archive_Reports
01-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Well, Il Duce supporter/Alt-right supporter Richard Spencer got punched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rh1dhur4aI

All that does is hurt whatever point you're trying to make and give the other side ammo.

Sutekh
01-20-2017, 07:01 PM
If it was Ann Coulter or Milo Yiannopolous then I would agree. But that guy is actually a Jew hating stormfront goon, nobody will rally around him or anoint him as cause celebre based on that incident, they won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Not saying it's right to assault people, just that it won't have the effect you say it will

Dr Channard
01-20-2017, 08:50 PM
A masked coward comes in with a sucker punch and runs away. It says everything you need to know about those people while giving immediate credibility to the person he punched. It's funny because the left had been trying to label the Trump fucks as the violent ones. It is continually proven to be the other way. GOOD WORK

Trump wasn’t the one telling his supporters how he’d like to punch people in the face? Trump wasn’t the one telling his crowds to knock the crap out of people and he’d cover the legal fees? Some shittyass behavior from anyone for sure. Not something I’d condone at all. But when a nation sees this kind of juvenile behavior is how you win the Whitehouse, it might be safe to assume that a shit-ton can of worms has been opened and the worst of society from any and all sides will be crawling out of the woodwork to get in on it.

allegro
01-20-2017, 09:14 PM
http://nypost.com/2017/01/20/military-refused-trumps-bid-to-parade-missile-launchers-at-inauguration/

What the ever-loving fuck.
It's the Post. Just short of the Globe. Not credible.

Meanwhile, Melania sure looked gorgeous today (Ralph Lauren suit, WOW) and tonight in Hervé Pierre, gorge.

Ivanka in Carolina Herrera tonight, wow.

And Michelle Obama today in Jason Wu, wow!

Re rioting: that's been happening since the 60s. And back to the Civil War.

See this: http://www.history.com/topics/american-civil-war/draft-riots

I don't get it, but it is what it is.

G said: "They wrecked a Starbucks?? MOTHER FUCKERS!" Lol.

And, the Democratic process in our country and the American voters by state and Electoral College determined that this is in fact the our President. Saying he's "not my President" sounds just as bad as these "Obummer" people who refused to accept Obama as their President, which was just as bad.

I cried watching the Obamas leave D.C. today.

BUT I'VE SIGNED UP WITH THE OBAMA FOUNDATION! And I hope to get involved here in Chicago.

Aladdinsanity
01-20-2017, 09:20 PM
A masked coward comes in with a sucker punch and runs away. It says everything you need to know about those people while giving immediate credibility to the person he punched. It's funny because the left had been trying to label the Trump fucks as the violent ones. It is continually proven to be the other way. GOOD WORK
Yeah, whatever. The dude is an anti-semite who views miscegenation as "white genocide". Sorry if I'm not worried about MUH CREDIBILITY at the sheer amusement I gain seeing someone knock his lights out.

allegro
01-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Meanwhile:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/news/a20097/donald-trump-inauguration-tie-reactions/

I'm dying laughing

cashpiles (closed)
01-20-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm watching the inauguration.. they're all dancing to I Did It My Way.. Why do I feel weird that it's all white people?

EDIT: The dictionaries are going to have to change the spelling of triumphant to Trumphant.

allegro
01-20-2017, 10:03 PM
This was nice:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/news/a20102/donald-trump-standing-ovation-hillary-clinton/

allegro
01-20-2017, 10:46 PM
And this? This, God bless George W Bush, this was THE BEST PART OF THE DAY:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/president-george-w-bush-had-a-little-trouble-with-his-poncho-at-trumps-inauguration/?client=safariThe

allegro
01-21-2017, 12:11 AM
There was this guy on the old NIN.com forums during the first term of the Obama administration who was very vocal about his hatred of President Obama, and he made comments about Obama not being his President and his not answering to Obama, etc.

Except he had ALSO mentioned in a few threads that he was in the Military and had posted a few pics of himself in uniform.

And I pointed out that it was grounds for Court-martial to say anything negative about the Commander in Chief. And he suddenly backpedaled. But, really, how fucking stupid can you get?

I used to take the Metra quite often from downtown Chicago north and would be on the train with Navy people who lived and worked at the Great Lakes facility. One time I was standing in the vestibule area between trains and a sailor starting shooting the shit with me and was telling me how he didn't like our President (who was George W Bush at the time) but he had to stifle his personal feelings because President Bush was the Commander in Chief and our President of the United States, and the sailor could be court-martialed for negative statements about the President.

We civilians certainly can't be court-martialed, but the truth is that there are often Presidents we don't necessarily like but they are still our Presidents. There are ways to vocalize our dissatisfaction with their actions (President Trump has only been in office one day so let's see how it goes) but to protest his election is protesting the process of our Democracy.

onthewall2983
01-21-2017, 12:27 AM
I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't buy into the idea that whoever is president is my president. Even if I voted for him or her, once they're elected I think of what they do as much bigger than for me to personalize it by saying they are or aren't "mine".

sick among the pure
01-21-2017, 12:30 AM
I also want to interject that many people saying he isn't "their president" are saying it to mean he isn't a president with their (concerns, safety, what have you) in mind. That he's not the president of the people. Not that he literally is not the president of the country that they are a citizen in.

onthewall2983
01-21-2017, 12:40 AM
That's obvious, but I guess I take issue with the idea that they're individualizing it instead of being concerned for everyone else, too. Maybe it isn't the intent, but it still rubs me a little wrong.

hellospaceboy
01-21-2017, 12:51 AM
but the truth is that there are often Presidents we don't necessarily like but they are still our Presidents. There are ways to vocalize our dissatisfaction with their actions (President Trump has only been in office one day so let's see how it goes) but to protest his election is protesting the process of our Democracy.

The reason why I don't want to "let's see how it goes" and give him a chance is because I fundamentally disagree with a lot of things he promised to do! I do want him to fail... I don't want America to fail, but I do want this egomaniac asshole to fail at achieving what he set out to do. His version of a "great America" is not something I want to see.

And for protesting Trump's election: there are a lot of system failures there. Nobody -media, GOP, voters- held him accountable for his business conflicts. His relationships (debt, mostly) to foreign banks were not disclosed, there was no plan in place for him to distance himself from the Trump brand, etc... These are real issues of one's competency to hold the highest office.

I didn't like Bush, and I do believe now as believed back during his time that he destabilized the middle east and got us into a war that we'll never get out of. He really made the world a worse place... That said, I didn't HATE him, as a person. Trump, on the other hand, is a genuinely repulsive human being that I don't think I could shake hands with.

allegro
01-21-2017, 01:09 AM
The reason why I don't want to "let's see how it goes"
You / we have no choice. We are stuck with him for 4 years.

The U.S. Code exempts the President from business conflicts*. The only possible problem is the Emoluments Clause.

This is weird fucking territory we're in, now. Presidents are usually lawyers. It throws us off when they're not. This guy isn't a politician. He's breaking all the rules, he insulted politicians in his inaugural speech. There is no system that requires or prevents this shit.

*See this (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/208) and specifically this (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/202).

BRoswell
01-21-2017, 01:11 AM
He has already shown his incompetence when it comes to how things work (which people see as charming and rebellious for some inexplicable reason), and we already know that his ego will not allow him to grow. Not as a person, and certainly not as president, so when people say "he's just starting" and "give him a chance", I laugh, because it implies that he's suddenly going to wake up one day and not be Donald Trump. People don't change when they get everything they wanted.

allegro
01-21-2017, 01:22 AM
I don't think people mean "give him a chance" like his PERSONALITY is going to change; they are saying it ("they" including President Obama) because he just got into office and has to work with Congress to try to get some things done and some of the shit this guy wants is term limits, and negotiating Rx drug prices (which the Repugs just shot down as did some Dems), etc.

Presideo
01-21-2017, 01:40 AM
I have no problem with protesting the inauguration of a man who lost the popular vote by almost three million votes. Big Daddy Donald is gonna put all the liberals in time-out for a few years, but that doesn't mean we can't go to the corner kicking and screaming along the way. Bipartisanship is dead and gone; there's no reason to play nice anymore and quietly give conservatives their day in the sun. Republicans won back the House, Senate, and White House by going as far right as possible, opposing anything and everything that liberals did. Remember when they initially opposed a bill that would give healthcare aid to 9/11 first responders? They had zero class, but won seat after seat by doing nothing more than shitting on the 'liberal agenda' any way that they could.

The 'wait and see' method serves no purpose. We draped an American over our eyes during Bush 43's run, and look where that got us. Legitimizing Trump in any way will only serve to help him get four more years.

President Trump has only been in office one day so let's see how it goes
Within minutes of being sworn in, official White House webpages concerning climate change, civil rights, and LGBT rights were taken down. Within an hour of being sworn in he signed an executive order that will require non-wealthy home owners to pay hundreds more every year in mortgage payments. In a few months he’ll try using taxpayer money to build a giant wall that is certain to run over-budget by millions, never be fully completed, and will not even benefit our national security. There’s also heavy whispers of defunding PBS and NPR, relieving an astonishing .05 of our national debt in the process.

It's pretty clear where we're heading, and it ain't up!

Dryalex12
01-21-2017, 02:38 AM
Actions speak louder than words.

I may not be happy about this, but going out and throwing a fit and defenestrating random Starbucks windows is fucking stupid, it's immature, and it's not going to solve any problems

As much as I wanted anyone but him to win.........I just can't help it, I've always been the Devil's Advocate....I'm pretty much the poster boy for it.

Look, if he fucks up then i'll take back everything I said, but so far.....it's just day one.

Again, the Pariah is strong, but....let's just see how it goes...i could be very wrong.

I'm just kinda tired of hearing it,

Just seeing how hopeless you are is making me more depressed then him being president is.

Volband
01-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Damn, I love how anyone around Trump (or the man himself) does something questionable, and people immidietly jump at their throat, even outdoing a whole drama class a'la meryl streep, then when this guy gets punched, the same people go "yeah, he is a racist, so what ya' gonna do? fucker got that coming!". :D

Republicans are loud and stupid, while Democrats are insufferable cunts. That's my grand conclusion. Politically, Democrats are much closer to me, but shit like #notmypresident, meryl streep, or "it's okay to hit that guy" would made me second guess my choice big time.

BRoswell
01-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Saying we should wait and see what happens sounds like the beginning of a beautifully abusive relationship. "Well, he hit me before, but maybe he won't do it again. Maybe he'll change." Yeah, sorry, but I don't have any interest in being a battered wife in this scenario. Like I said, guys like Trump don't change when all they've done is "win" their whole lives. But hey! It doesn't mean YOU guys can't keep wishing he becomes a different person. Just make sure to get some concealer for those bruises. ;)

xmd 5a
01-21-2017, 04:19 AM
Yeah, whatever. The dude is an anti-semite who views miscegenation as "white genocide". Sorry if I'm not worried about MUH CREDIBILITY at the sheer amusement I gain seeing someone knock his lights out.

This.

I feel the same about Milo Yabadabadoofuckwitopolis getting told to GTFO by everyone. Last time he spoke unimpeded at at university he dedicated a portion of his speech to stirring up hatred against a trans student of that university for some unknowably prickish reason. I'm not going to be shamed out of the joy I feel whenever he gets sent packing.

Presideo
01-21-2017, 04:42 AM
Damn, I love how anyone around Trump (or the man himself) does something questionable, and people immidietly jump at their throat, even outdoing a whole drama class a'la meryl streep,
A President receiving hyper-criticism from his detractors? That's never happened before.

then when this guy gets punched, the same people go "yeah, he is a racist, so what ya' gonna do? fucker got that coming!". :D
You're not going to find many people that sympathize with a racist that has a 4chan meme from 9 years ago pinned to his blazer. I'm more appalled that a camera was shoved in his face than a fist shoved in his face.

A masked coward vigilante comes in with a sucker punch finds a villainous foe and asserts swift justice and runs away.
Fixed. We now have a working Batman script!

allegro
01-21-2017, 05:49 AM
The 'wait and see' method serves no purpose.
What's your other choice? Shoot him? Protests won't do shit except reinforce the Right's attitude about "snowflakes" since this protest is just a "we don't like him in case he does something" protest.

Protesting for modifying a WH website, whatever. He's a REPUBLICAN, for fuck's sake.

The FHA fees won't go "up." They were set to go down, but Ben Carson (new HUD guy wtf) said wait a minute.

The popular vote is a moot point, Clinton and the arrogant DNC neglected the Rust Belt and now we are stuck with Mr. Potter and his Corporate friends for 4 years.

Effective activism comes with protesting CONGRESS and making Trump stick to his promise re upholding Social Security and Medicare, replacing the ACA with something truly affordable and better, and making improvements to "The Swamp." Now that he's there, it's important to MAKE HIM DO HIS JOB, like Sanders and Warren have been stressing.

Khrz
01-21-2017, 05:55 AM
Effective activism comes with protesting CONGRESS and making Trump stick to his promise re upholding Social Security and Medicare, replacing the ACA with something truly affordable and better, and making improvements to "The Swamp." Now that he's there, it's important to MAKE HIM DO HIS JOB, like Sanders and Warren have been stressing.

But, but, that's real work and demands dedication and a huge attention span ! It actually requires to be interested in politics and stuff, you can't ask the people to do all that work...

allegro
01-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Saying we should wait and see what happens sounds like the beginning of a beautifully abusive relationship. "Well, he hit me before, but maybe he won't do it again. Maybe he'll change." Yeah, sorry, but I don't have any interest in being a battered wife in this scenario. Like I said, guys like Trump don't change when all they've done is "win" their whole lives. But hey! It doesn't mean YOU guys can't keep wishing he becomes a different person. Just make sure to get some concealer for those bruises. ;)
As a former abused wife, that's a load of fucking shit.

We are saying "wait and see" because (1) WE ARE ON DAY ONE, and (2) THE PRESIDENT ISN'T THE MAIN FUCKER WRITING THE LAWS.

The American voters not only voted in (via our legal and 200 plus-yr-old Electoral College system) a Republican President, but they also COMPLETELY GUTTED CONGRESS OF MOST DEMOCRATS. And even OBAMA said he thinks that was on him. The Republicans now have a Supermajority, are confirming every Trump nominee, because they are running Congress, they control our budget, and they pretty much run everything else. But everybody is focused on Bozo and what we can "do" about it, like maybe we can get a divorce. And Bozo made a speech yesterday saying he's not gonna put up with the assholes in Congress, 80% of whom are Republicans. But whining is somehow gonna make it all better.

I've signed at least 15 FUCKING PETITIONS in the last month. I WROTE MY SENATORS. TWICE. About SPECIFIC TOPICS like Medicare and Social Security and the ACA and womens' healthcare. Smashing out the windows of a fucking Starbucks won't help anything.

Khrz
01-21-2017, 06:23 AM
I saw a Trump supporter giving the bird to a whole line of protesters, taking his sweet time to make sure each one of them got the finger, and I thought "even that moron is better and more clever at expressing his thoughts on the current socio-political rift".

allegro
01-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Meanwhile, it's too difficult to sign petitions and send letters. Showing up at aimless protests is the hip thing to do because you can be on TV and post selfies. The Petitions are documented and require action, but they're no fun.

(And they ask you for money. Gasp, why do these organizations need money when smashing Starbucks windows and whining online is free? I'm out over $250 to activist organizations so far, I guess I shoulda gone for the free Starbucks window plan. My ACLU card won't get me any Facebook hits.)

Khrz
01-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Well the problem with petitions is you can't brag on Facebook that the repressive regime maced you for using your right to #freespeech. And wearing a guy fawkes mask when signing them doesn't have quite the same thrill.

Dr Channard
01-21-2017, 07:09 AM
What's your other choice?...

In the spirit of the Year Zero narrative part of this thread, one of the perspectives told (probably) from a dissident people went a little like this,

http://i67.tinypic.com/8wdzx0.png

Doesn’t matter what side people are on, they’re still people, and when a political figure purposefully antagonizes and churns up anger in swaths of the populace for extended stretches time, well sometimes some of those people decide to make some history of their own, right or wrong, good or bad.

Khrz
01-21-2017, 07:18 AM
I'm pretty sure you're neither making history nor making a point by smashing a Starbucks or punching a dick.

I'm all for protests and action, I sympathize with these people's frustration and anger, but there's nothing constructive here. It's childish, and not even in a fun, creative way.

You want to make history? Make something, do something. Right now all I've seen is hooligans trying to stir shit up and totally failing to shock anyone.

EndlessLoveless
01-21-2017, 07:29 AM
I usually dont get into politics on the internet or especially the ninternet. Its a slippery slope and when reading short bursts of text things can easily get misunderstood. But i have to say how embarrassing yesterday was. You can protest without destroying your own community. I bet half those people didn't even vote. Am I worried about Trump? Yes, big time but I'm also worried that the far left is a few steps away from adopting a sort of, for lack of a better phrase "if I can't have you then no one will" adittude with running the country lately. Innocent people don't deserve to have their property destroyed. And for what exactly? It's not going to change a fucking thing. A lot of us are pissed but ruining other people's shit doesn't get him un-elected. Protest all you want if it helps you, in a non violent/destructive way. Yes we will have to suffer for however long this lasts, but it will end. My guess would be sooner than later.

sweeterthan
01-21-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure if this is true but yesterday when MSNBC was showing the protesters live, the reporter kept trying to distinguish between those who were protesting and those who were destroying things. He was saying there seemed to be a faction of protestors who had their faces covered and were wearing all black.

Dr Channard
01-21-2017, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure you're neither making history nor making a point by smashing a Starbucks or punching a dick.

I'm all for protests and action, I sympathize with these people's frustration and anger, but there's nothing constructive here. It's childish, and not even in a fun, creative way.

You want to make history? Make something, do something. Right now all I've seen is hooligans trying to stir shit up and totally failing to shock anyone.

Sure, you and I agree 100%. This behavior is embarrassing, ridiculous and counterproductive. Unfortunately two people in a forum doesn’t stop the mentality that’s gaining traction out there. This is Trumps America now, he knows his campaign rhetoric championed this kind of behavior. Now we get to deal with the likeminded people who will actually do the things he verbally praised, let him own this.

allegro
01-21-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if this is true but yesterday when MSNBC was showing the protesters live, the reporter kept trying to distinguish between those who were protesting and those who were destroying things. He was saying there seemed to be a faction of protestors who had their faces covered and were wearing all black.

They referred to themselves as "anarchists," one journalist on CNN said obviously the people didn't want to talk with journalists but somebody did, I don't remember who, and the organized group of masked protesters said they were "anarchists" which is a separate form of protest.

But a woman who was a part of the peaceful protest group said it SCARED her, and she was bringing a large group of women to the Women's March on Washington today and now she is afraid, because these dorks will most assuredly be back and she felt it is dangerous to be around them. There were fires, and police and teargas. Meanwhile, now the Women's March has grown to include so many groups and causes, it has no real single focus. The best petitions and protests and campaigns have one single very specific focus, e.g. "Stop the War in Iraq" or "Legalize Gay Marriage" or "Save Planned Parenthood Funding."

Your Name Here
01-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Peaceful protests are fine but I hope at every one of these marches there is a register to vote booth. None of this means anything unless the liberals and democrats start to organize and actually have a plan. It is time to quit whining about Trump and time to start doing something to stop him. The first step would be to take away his power in the 2018 mid term election overturn the senate and the congress, the same way the tea party did it to Obama in 2010. Then find a candidate who all the liberals can get behind for the 2020 election.

botley
01-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Oh boy an anarchist punched a Nazi on my teevee

better blame the Left

slave2thewage
01-21-2017, 10:24 AM
An asshole got what was coming to him and a window got broken? How awful. Far worse than those people who won't be able to buy homes now and women's rights being threatened.

Archive_Reports
01-21-2017, 10:48 AM
An asshole got what was coming to him and a window got broken? How awful. Far worse than those people who won't be able to buy homes now and women's rights being threatened.

More than one thing can be bad. You can't say that violence against someone is OK because of their beliefs only if you don't agree with them. (Well you CAN because you are, but that's not really my point.) This type of bullshit creates the "us versus them" mentality that needs to go away on all sides.

hellospaceboy
01-21-2017, 11:04 AM
Meanwhile, it's too difficult to sign petitions and send letters. Showing up at aimless protests is the hip thing to do because you can be on TV and post selfies. The Petitions are documented and require action, but they're no fun.

I know many people who traveled to DC to join the women's march, and I feel like you're REALLY dismissive of them. Signing petitions and protesting are not mutually exclusive.
Protest does have results. It sets the tone, and sends a message to lawmakers that certain issues are important to a large chunk of the population.

Back in 2009-10, the Tea Party did a great job of continuously protesting and becoming a movement, at a time when -gasp- the democrats had a supermajority!

allegro
01-21-2017, 11:05 AM
For the record, the FHA fee in question is about $500 for a $200,000 home loan. FHA loans require monthly PMI (private mortgage insurance) because you're putting so little down (3.5%), and you have to pay that for the life of the loan (30 years), vs. conventional loans where you are only required to pay PMI until you reach 20% equity. PMI is usually around $135-$150 PER MONTH and it's not a write-off and it affects your loan to income ratio. The mortgage meltdown of 2007 was CAUSED by FHA loans. There is a certain fear behind not having slush in that fee fund, "just in case."

allegro
01-21-2017, 11:13 AM
I know many people who traveled to DC to join the women's march, and I feel like you're REALLY dismissive of them. Signing petitions and protesting are not mutually exclusive.
Protest does have results. It sets the tone, and sends a message to lawmakers that certain issues are important to a large chunk of the population.

Back in 2009-10, the Tea Party did a great job of continuously protesting and becoming a movement, at a time when -gasp- the democrats had a supermajority!

I was supposed to go to the march here in Chicago and backed out (because of logistics and crowd). I'm not "dismissive," if this makes people feel more empowered to do more things, to get more involved in government, to register people to vote, to get donations for NOW and Planned Parenthood, to join the ACLU, then that's AWESOME. But politicians and Congress are fully aware that women exist, and they don't care; change comes with electing members of Congress who will enact laws that protect women. Voting is where change happens, and not JUST in Presidential elections. A general "here we are" for one day doesn't send a clear message. Sending letters to Congress DOES. Marching repeatedly with a clear intent and focus on one clear message (e.g. a particular women's healthcare bill) does.

The "aimless protest" I referenced was YESTERDAY. "No to Trump." Okay, now what? That's like "no to Congress." Like "No to Nixon." Which happened. And didn't change anything.

The Tea Party protests were very specific, as I mentioned in my prior post. If you look at the history of each protest, each was in reaction to something specific that Obama or Congress did (auto bailout, stimulus bill, etc.)

elevenism
01-21-2017, 11:57 AM
The "anarchists" sure did have cool costumes though, amiright?

slave2thewage
01-21-2017, 12:12 PM
This type of bullshit creates the "us versus them" mentality that needs to go away on all sides.
Erm, no. This 'we need to understand the other side' mentality led to this shitshow. Fuck these white straight douchebags.

elevenism
01-21-2017, 12:24 PM
So like
I keep seeing shirts and stickers for sale that say God, Guns and Trump. (https://www.amazon.com/god-guns-trump/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agod%20guns%20trump) Literally.

The right has become a caricature of itself.

joplinpicasso
01-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Oh boy an anarchist punched a Nazi on my teevee

better blame the Left

Few people will come to his sympathy, though I disagree with the punch on principle.

Archive_Reports
01-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Erm, no. This 'we need to understand the other side' mentality led to this shitshow. Fuck these white straight douchebags.

Racism and sexism. Cool story.

Khrz
01-21-2017, 02:17 PM
Racism and sexism. Cool story.

The operative word was "douchebags", and their orientation, gender and race were mentioned to imply that they don't give a fuck about LGBT, coloured people and/or women.

There's enough panties in a twist right now, let's at least try to get the gist of each other's points here, even when we fundamentally disagree.

allegro
01-21-2017, 02:27 PM
The "anarchists" sure did have cool costumes though, amiright?

They looked like Ninjas.

Mantra
01-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Well I personally thought the protests were awesome. Yesterday was such a shitty day for this country, but it was really encouraging to see all the pics and videos of the big crowds out there in the streets. I found it uplifting.