PDA

View Full Version : Civilization 5 or 6

MrLobster
12-26-2016, 04:25 PM
So.... any other Steam Civ 5 or 6 players out there?

Still in the learning curve part of Civ 6 but I think I am liking it, the districts are neat... fun to use strategically (Encampments specifically).

Vertigo
12-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Just bought Civ 6 today, so I guess I'll need to stock up on vitamin D for the next six months.

Disappointed about the direction they took with 6, visually speaking - the cartoony style makes it less of a statehood sim and more of a board game, and had hoped they'd ditch the hexagon-tiled map, which just never looked right. Crossing my fingers they'll go for Civ 1-style non-isometric top-down squares in the next one, but I guess that'll be a long wait...

But the important thing is, they're continuing to offer some of the best mod support in the business, so anything that doesn't sit right about the gameplay minutiae can easily be fixed, and Firaxis' own expansions tend to add a huge amount of additional depth. I've been playing Civ games for about 20 years, so there was no question about picking this up sooner or later, despite my reservations. They're some of the best strategy games in the world, and an essential staple of the PC. Civ 5 and Revolutions wouldn't have been my choices for iterations to draw the most inspiration from though; 3 and Alpha Centauri have been my favourites to-date.

MrLobster
12-26-2016, 05:54 PM
the cartoony style makes it less of a statehood sim and more of a board game

I dislike it for the Civ leaders but I like it for the units and buildings.

Firaxis' own expansions tend to add a huge amount of additional depth.

Looking forward to more DLC...

Oh, if you're Spy and Faith needs weren't being met with 5, 6 should fix that for you. Much more depth.

MrLobster
12-28-2016, 12:55 AM
*blink blink*

Just finished a 6.5 hour Civ 5 co-op session. Gotta say, streaming music for my partner really enhances the time passing.