PDA

View Full Version : The Vietnam War (2017)

Pages : 1 [2]

xfocalinx
09-22-2017, 05:26 PM
So the one from BB is actually the vinyl by TR and AR?

kargath
09-22-2017, 06:31 PM
So the one from BB is actually the vinyl by TR and AR?That's the only vinyl release. The soundtrack is CD and digital.

trollmanen
09-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Looks like BB figured out their mistake, the vinyl is now listed at $49.99, still sold out. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow, even if it shows up slightly damaged, its' still a good deal.

xfocalinx
09-22-2017, 10:22 PM
That's the only vinyl release. The soundtrack is CD and digital.

ah gotcha, I thought there was the TR/AR vinyl and there was also a release of songs by other bands used in the documentary.

ninjaw
09-22-2017, 10:33 PM
ah gotcha, I thought there was the TR/AR vinyl and there was also a release of songs by other bands used in the documentary.

I didn't read the others but this line is correct

kargath
09-22-2017, 10:39 PM
I didn't read the others but this line is correctThere's both a score and a soundtrack, but the soundtrack is not available on vinyl...Therefore, the vinyl at BB must be the score.

xfocalinx
09-22-2017, 10:44 PM
There's both a score and a soundtrack, but the soundtrack is not available on vinyl...Therefore, the vinyl at BB must be the score.

Gotcha, Thanks man! Haven't been keeping up to date with all this stuff, glad i purchased it though!

kargath
09-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Gotcha, Thanks man! Haven't been keeping up to date with all this stuff, glad i purchased it though!I'm jealous if you snagged it for $14 or whatever it was. I jumped on the link an hour or two after it was posted, but it was showing sold out. And I had just bought it for $40 from Barnes and Noble. Ah well...

onthewall2983
09-22-2017, 11:26 PM
Just finished the fourth episode, and along with some NIN instrumentals which took me by surprise (I figured they'd just use material from the soundtracks), was this particularly interesting inclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLAOb2oheSM

Shadaloo
09-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Anyone else's hype sticker for the 2CD pack actually on the case itself and not on the shrink wrap?

Damn odd

Leprekon666
09-23-2017, 03:39 AM
Anyone else's hype sticker for the 2CD pack actually on the case itself and not on the shrink wrap?

Damn odd

Yup mine is and I tried to peep it off haha what a bad idea that was. Just gonna wait for amazon to get more in and do a replacement/return since I never bought it from them and got it from eBay. Think it’s a Canadian thing as the other guy on here his was on the wrap.

rd1994
09-23-2017, 06:27 AM
A triple LP at 180g weight in a gatefold jacket...is a steal at $40...just saying.

40 EUROs my freind thats roughly 60 us dollars. Like I said shipping and all Fragile was cheaper than that.

gorast
09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Got my copy from Best Buy this morning. Bizarre mailer (looked like ravioli) but the album was fine inside. Sounds great.

Substance242
09-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Before Dawn reminded me Shadow of the Beast 2 (Amiga game), and one sound in Passing the Point song Crushed by Front 242. Generally similar quality as Before the Flood or Patriots Day, not in the same league as the three "real" soundtracks. Not bad of course, but not really worth dedicated single-task listening.

eversonpoe
09-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Got my copy from Best Buy this morning. Bizarre mailer (looked like ravioli) but the album was fine inside. Sounds great.

i always have a hard time opening those mailers and i feel like they have a tendency to squish the records.

gorast
09-23-2017, 04:20 PM
i always have a hard time opening those mailers and i feel like they have a tendency to squish the records.

It's like 100% sealed, no perforations, no easy-open, no nothing. Like doing surgery to get my damn record out. I guess that's what I get for taking advantage of a pricing error for a 66% discount, though, lol.

Senateguard33
09-23-2017, 07:51 PM
My copy from BB showed up..weird packaging, but perfect shape. I snatched it during their pricing screw up for $13.99, it's now listed as 49.99. A pretty lucky score overall.

witte
09-24-2017, 05:22 AM
I see there are two releases: US and EU version.

Al_Hunter
09-24-2017, 07:02 AM
Anyone had any difficulties with the download code?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

somewhatdamaged
09-24-2017, 01:59 PM
I ordered the CD from Amazon and it came so fast, I got it within a day. I've had the CDs on repeat since it has arrived. I've listened to first disc more often than the second, only because I loaded it into my car CD player and forgot to bring the second disc with me. Houston traffic is horrendous (Thanks Hurricane Harvey!) so I have listened to both on repeat for long durations. I can say with full confidence I like this soundtrack more than Patriot's Day. I would place my order as such: The Social Network, The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Vietnam War, Quake, Patriot's Day. This soundtrack reminds me alot of Ghosts, Dragon Tattoo and Patriots Day all mixed together - it kinda doesn't have its own identity. In fact, I feel like I could take those three albums and make a playlist pretty identical the Vietnam War's score. I wasn't a big fan of Patriots Day, not that it was bad, but I felt like it worked perfectly for the movie, but as standalone music it just didn't keep my interest. Vietnam War is kind of the same way, but there are some clear tracks that just so exciting, they can't help pull everything else up. Another gripe I have, some songs are way too long for no good reason (I'm looking at you A World Away), many of the songs are looped so much with little changing atmospherics. I feel like they were 45 seconds songs that were used for interview portions that when it came to make an album, they just lengthened them to the point they're boring.

When I first heard that TR & AR were going to do this soundtrack I was really excited, because in my head I was thinking OK, so there is going to be slow atmospheric music for interviews and narrative stuff, but I thought also...Okay, what kind of "parameters" are they going to use for this soundtrack, the obvious being, using only instruments and techniques that were common in the 60s. Also, rely more on mechanical samples (jets, propellers, machine gun fire, explosions, etc...). So, turns out my thought of parameters was way off, use of marching and helicopter samples were used somewhat, not nearly as much as I thought.

The tracks that stand out the most (to me) are:
What Comes Back
Justified Response
Passing the Point (love that bass at the end)
Strangers in Lockstep
Before and After Faith

trollmanen
09-24-2017, 02:26 PM
My copy from BB showed up weird packaging for sure, but still well packed (the weird "ravioli" package but the record was sandwiched in between cardboard inside). The upper left spine is a little squished, and Side C had a small piece of stray vinyl that scratched up the beginning of the side. I haven't listened to it yet, but but there's probably some noise for the first 10 secs or so, as it was mostly in the deadwax before the music starts. Even with that, it's a steal for under $20 shipped.

WorzelG
09-26-2017, 02:40 AM
Just found out this documentary is playing in the UK on BBC4 from last night so I actually get to watch it

chuenthez
09-26-2017, 03:40 AM
I don't know if there is another place where we talk about the Vietnam War documentary, but it was broadcasted in France (in 9 episodes of one hour... so basically one half was cut, for some reason...). I really enjoyed it. I like how it "sounds" neutral, just simple facts...

ninjaw
09-26-2017, 03:51 AM
I don't know if there is another place where we talk about the Vietnam War documentary, but it was broadcasted in France (in 9 episodes of one hour... so basically one half was cut, for some reason...). I really enjoyed it. I like how it "sounds" neutral, just simple facts...

Neutral hey ? The whole thing keeps hinting it was a huge error ... just like every war ever made on earth, and we have to hear fucking marines, the worst kind of soldiers on earth, acknowledging one more time how they kill every one, as usual. And the time spent on 17 years morons that wanted to kill people for a living, was wayyyyy too long and not interesting (how could it be interesting ?)

However it was still very interesting, I discovered that I didn't know a simple thing about it, especially the french part.

chuenthez
09-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Neutral hey ? The whole thing keeps hinting it was a huge error ... just like every war ever made on earth, and we have to hear fucking marines, the worst kind of soldiers on earth, acknowledging one more time how they kill every one, as usual. And the time spent on 17 years morons that wanted to kill people for a living, was wayyyyy too long and not interesting (how could it be interesting ?)

However it was still very interesting, I discovered that I didn't know a simple thing about it, especially the french part.

Yeah like every war on earth, but usually we got (especially on Arte) a story very "complying" to the vietcong version, here they did not forget to talk about some massacre they did. Sure it's "US made a fucking mistake" oriented, but this is just... true. And I always liked interviews of guys showing how stupid they were/are and how brainwashed they could have been.
And saying that, I knew most of the story...

ninjaw
09-26-2017, 04:39 AM
Yeah like every war on earth, but usually we got (especially on Arte) a story very "complying" to the vietcong version, here they did not forget to talk about some massacre they did. Sure it's "US made a fucking mistake" oriented, but this is just... true. And I always liked interviews of guys showing how stupid they were/are and how brainwashed they could have been.
And saying that, I knew most of the story...

I agree, it's well made. I cannot stand anymore morons that are calling themself brainwashed, there are too much documents about how ridiculous, idiots and awful are soldiers, to claim we didn't know... Glory for killing and hate ? come one, grow up, every year on french Survivor we hear the same shit: "I didn't know it was so hard" Fuck off of course you knew, it's been 20 years of ppl saying the same thing every fucking time.

Louie_Cypher
09-26-2017, 08:53 AM
really enjoying so much either forgot or was never mentioned, if there was this much bullshit going on then imagine what goes on in Iraq, Afghanistan, Nixon was horrible person but Trump is still worse
-Louie

Senateguard33
09-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know how to resolve digital download issues? I bought the vinyl, and my browser crashed when downloading the FLAC files. The code now no longer works, because it thinks it's been used.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The NIN store said they can't help since I didn't buy it there, but I thought they managed the digital content regardless.

Louie_Cypher
09-26-2017, 03:58 PM
soundtrack available on itunes
-Louie

imail724
09-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Received my $14 Best Buy order today. Can't believe they actually honored an obvious price error. Beautiful package.

TheBang
09-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Can anyone please comment on the difference between the Vinyl and the CD/Digital for the tracks, "A World Away" and "The Right Things"?

According to the liner notes, the track timings are different:
vinyl 6:18 vs. digital 6:13
vinyl 8:44 vs. digital 8:52

Brokenfern
09-26-2017, 11:25 PM
The vinyl is $13.99 at bestbuy.com!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-vietnam-war-a-film-by-ken-burns-lynn-novick-original-score-lp-vinyl/6088008.p?skuId=6088008&productCategoryId=

Seriously... THANK YOU for this!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AFkvsxW-6xv-E9AMM1L-6yNCZfAUO28UtpsDL9xf3dHiXaBPoYZywA0Vec-xpL1vl1Eahy1hp9bNncYVMacyulsa8k9FYNjL-scD5-xm9KhjolTlN413SgDf9KShg5d3BzI879B4x8bIK037RHdsSqiD YXdxKDeiJ4f0tRzA3cORkkm8uNkJbo_XPuI1g8vlLd7ld1QCWX 78voi5YbzuVB_zuTH16s6n-bw3Yg4XN7MXWUCcolXkan2oxQJchyukH8zFhu9ONJZLYjq19pJ Q8R_qv1GuhZpTkrI8mtHSJR2rvNNs4PAi9jTpDlK06lyM4jhzD IfEL9Xe4ikg4TmA3Cvx70CTy5EdelmVllqL4-UBi9GwUfb79RvWPSBWmqK1GhtElGSv-bYbyT6VLC_mMvEfHl_QWoIExtadKVJmSk3sI-yOoNLj9spq8JvErZGTjTSdKBRk2B7EmUyyAoDsi6DBiiLiWxR4 nyN12xhjDhfbBVIPDQdXkXFioL8UdPEK99copJgqQMJ5cV4MHq 8-ve-QtJgkeZAY7iRMHI97qyKRLnRFMYzYk30K-YCjf2skzyClO6K_GjqDoceJkHOnD-cxH8Gggm-D9t6bEr04How=w1968-h1475-no

raptors661
09-27-2017, 01:42 AM
Seriously... THANK YOU for this!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AFkvsxW-6xv-E9AMM1L-6yNCZfAUO28UtpsDL9xf3dHiXaBPoYZywA0Vec-xpL1vl1Eahy1hp9bNncYVMacyulsa8k9FYNjL-scD5-xm9KhjolTlN413SgDf9KShg5d3BzI879B4x8bIK037RHdsSqiD YXdxKDeiJ4f0tRzA3cORkkm8uNkJbo_XPuI1g8vlLd7ld1QCWX 78voi5YbzuVB_zuTH16s6n-bw3Yg4XN7MXWUCcolXkan2oxQJchyukH8zFhu9ONJZLYjq19pJ Q8R_qv1GuhZpTkrI8mtHSJR2rvNNs4PAi9jTpDlK06lyM4jhzD IfEL9Xe4ikg4TmA3Cvx70CTy5EdelmVllqL4-UBi9GwUfb79RvWPSBWmqK1GhtElGSv-bYbyT6VLC_mMvEfHl_QWoIExtadKVJmSk3sI-yOoNLj9spq8JvErZGTjTSdKBRk2B7EmUyyAoDsi6DBiiLiWxR4 nyN12xhjDhfbBVIPDQdXkXFioL8UdPEK99copJgqQMJ5cV4MHq 8-ve-QtJgkeZAY7iRMHI97qyKRLnRFMYzYk30K-YCjf2skzyClO6K_GjqDoceJkHOnD-cxH8Gggm-D9t6bEr04How=w1968-h1475-noYou're welcome!

Got mine in today. Best buy has some weird packaging for vinyl. Came in without damage though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ChipRock
09-28-2017, 02:58 AM
I'd not seen this advertised anywhere at all, but pleased to see that this is being shown on the BBC. First two episodes on iPlayer now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b096k8wz/the-vietnam-war-series-1-1-deja-vu-18581961

TheBang
09-28-2017, 03:52 AM
Can anyone please comment on the difference between the Vinyl and the CD/Digital for the tracks, "A World Away" and "The Right Things"?

According to the liner notes, the track timings are different:
vinyl 6:18 vs. digital 6:13
vinyl 8:44 vs. digital 8:52

Anyone? Y'all bought records but don't have record players?

ninjaw
09-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Yeah. it's 2017.

botley
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
I've been listening to the vinyl since I got it, but I didn't do a digital rip or directly compare it to the streaming/download version, until today. Unsurprisingly, the vinyl appears to be more dynamic in its mastering (dramatically so, when it comes to "What Comes Back" — which keeps crescendoing throughout on the vinyl, whereas the digital version starts hitting the 0dBFS mark about two minutes in and just stays there for the remainder). My turntable has a slightly wonky belt-drive rather than being time-clocked precisely, but after I corrected the speed in a DAW everything lined up pretty well with the digital version.

I can't comment on the CD specifically, since I don't have it, but I suspect any discrepancies in timing on the liner notes are probably just misprints, because those two tracks are basically the same in terms of content for both the digital and vinyl formats. Again, the CD may differ. What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).

snichols
09-28-2017, 07:29 PM
received my vietnam war cd from pbs.org today. love this soundtrack so much.

TheBang
09-28-2017, 10:02 PM
What struck me as odd is that while the two tracks cross-fade into each other, the digital version has a weird dividing point between them -- ie. "The Right Things" seems to start a whole seven seconds before the song actually kicks in, while the main piano motif of "A World Away" is still looping over and over.

So if that's an error, it would account for the approximately seven-second discrepancy between the two formats (ie. the vinyl timing is correct, the digital is wrong).
Ah, I see. It's basically a difference of opinion as to where one song ends and the other begins. The CD timing is the same as the digital. I agree though, it sounds like the vinyl timing is probably more correct.

Thanks for checking, botley.

Reaps
09-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)

WorzelG
09-29-2017, 07:55 AM
I've become obsessed with the wailing guitar over the last 2 minutes of What Comes Back

ninjaw
09-29-2017, 09:08 AM
Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)

Lots of Ghosts, precise tracklisting in each end credits

snichols
09-29-2017, 12:01 PM
i also heard the wretched in a couple episodes. definately ghosts 1, 2, 13....and more.

thatguymark
09-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Anyone know of any NIN tracks played on the documentary? I felt sure there we're supposed to be some reworked NIN tracks said to be included. (I've yet to watch the series)Like the others said, there's a LOT of ghosts tracks. The instrumental version of The Wretched also made an appearance in one of the early episodes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cicero
09-29-2017, 08:39 PM

As per the episode credits, this is what i have so far for additional NIN & TR&AR tracks:

Ep 1
A Familiar Taste TSN
13 Ghosts II
Later Into the Night TGWTDT
32 Ghosts IV

Ep 2
32 Ghosts IV
34 Ghosts IV
1 Ghosts I
12 Ghosts II

Ep 3
28 Ghosts IV
Pieces Form the Whole - TSN
1 Ghosts I
34 Ghosts IV
32 Ghosts IV

Ep 4
12 Ghosts II
Pinned and Mounted - TGWTDT
The Wretched (Instrumental)
13 Ghosts II
The Beginning of the End (Instrcumental)

Ep 5
12 Ghosts II
13 Ghosts II

afors
09-30-2017, 04:54 AM
Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.
http://i66.tinypic.com/30mo579.jpg

ninjaw
09-30-2017, 11:10 AM
You ppl may not have access to recordings... (I forgot how cool is Free.fr for freedom) here are credits for 1&2
https://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_461157vlcsnap00040.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=461157vlcsnap00040.jpg)
https://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_855705vlcsnap00041.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=855705vlcsnap00041.jpg)

paul_guyet
09-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Are any of these tracks from Ghosts or TSN or TGWTDT different at all? I remember reading that they would be "reworked".

botley
09-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Has anyone else noticed surface defects on their vinyl? My copy has for the lack of a better description lots of 'liquidy rinse marks', light sand paper like surface scratches and what looks like non cleanable fingerprints from what appears to be the manufacturing process. It plays OK, but with a few light crackles and occasional pop. It's on all three LPs to an extent and mainly visible only at certain light angles. It looks like poor manufacturing, mishandling during manufacture or poor QA. Have noticed this on another NIN LP can't remember which one, but not the DE's which were as mint as you can get. I haven't returned it as it plays ok and I know it would likely be a whole lot of hassle getting a replacement, but it looks quite pronounced at certain angles and not what I expect from new vinyl.
Wow. Nothing like that on my copy — small mark on side three, not affecting play, but otherwise mine was pristine. Looks like you got a manufacturing defect, I'd still ask if you can return it.

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 09:27 AM
This is turning out to be my favourite of their soundtracks. Can't even put my finger on why.

snichols
10-01-2017, 09:32 AM
cause its damn good! TR +AR are getting better with every score.

astfgyl
10-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Yeah they are. I liked all of the soundtracks so far without really loving any of them, but this one in particular has resonated with me. It might be something to do with the way it reminds me a bit of Still....

jmtd
10-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.

sheepdean
10-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Is Amazon doing autorip on this one ? Can't see the logo and can't find it as MP3 only in their store.
I'd go with no, a lot of albums haven't had it lately, wonder if there's some labels not liking it

ninjaw
10-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Already asked that. No it doesn't, even in USA, but the other vietnam war is

Prettybrokenspiral
10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dZXOKgf.jpg?1

:D

howdidislipinto
10-14-2017, 08:36 AM
i keep wanting to listen to the whole soundtrack again but just end up putting "before and after faith" on repeat. there's such a thing as a track being TOO good, TR/AR. tone it down a bit.

sidenote, i just finished the first episode. finally understanding what the fuck that war was about is brutal and fascinating. man, thank goodness we got over that shit and EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.

blitzkrieg
10-14-2017, 02:42 PM
EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

theimage13
10-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Sooooo on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Burns-Novick-Original/dp/B074WGM6CB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508211228&sr=8-1&keywords=vietnam+war+score), the score currently has pretty shitty reviews because half the people who bought it are morons who thought they were getting a bunch of Bob Dylan war protest songs. I kid you not.

Anyway, we should probably flood the page with real reviews of the actual score, not just complaints from these dopes.

theimage13
10-16-2017, 10:41 PM

MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Original-Score/dp/B075B2DVGJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508211228&sr=8-2&keywords=vietnam+war+score

ninjaw
10-17-2017, 02:02 AM
MP3-only version. At least, for here in the States....maybe for some dumb reason it's not available to purchase in England?

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Original-Score/dp/B075B2DVGJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508211228&sr=8-2&keywords=vietnam+war+score

I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world

jmtd
10-17-2017, 04:02 AM

Thanks, I couldn't find it in the UK store at the time but I was also using mobile and Amazon hides some categories of products in the mobile view I think. I've since found it. http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt 9.59 in MP3.

theimage13
10-17-2017, 06:05 AM
I'm not sure what the hell you are saying, but the answer is still no for the whole world

Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).

The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.

http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt

ninjaw
10-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Another user said they hadn't been able to find an MP3 version of the score for sale on Amazon. The link I posted was for that version, but I wasn't sure whether you were allowed to buy it outside of the US (sometimes there are restrictions on where digital content is allowed to be sold for some stupid reason).
The person who had originally asked for this has since posted a version for sale in Europe, which can be found here.
http://amzn.eu/a2Vcqvt

I stopped at the autorip initial question, I see.

ton
10-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Just listened to this today and it's maybe his best soundtrack since The Social Network. I think Dragon Tattoo comes close but that one almost plays as a second set of sound effects for that film. I feel that The Vietnam Wars is one of the more musical scores.

paul_guyet
10-18-2017, 01:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dZXOKgf.jpg?1

:D
I like that even Atticus' autograph is shy.

simonn
10-21-2017, 09:02 PM
It's a sad reflection of the age in which we live that this album has been out for over a month and on THE MOST Reznor-orientated website anywhere in the world, only a handful of people (and a significant minority at that) have actually passed comment on the music produced by Trent and Atticus on their latest small plastic disc. Not always breaking boundaries (and in the context, not meant to anyway) but the music is quite often vital, and at times enthralling. No wonder so many artists think (and more and more are articulating) 'why bother' these days. I don't know whether there's just a considerably smaller audience for soundtracks v NIN/HTDA, but I'm shocked how little people are talking about this release. Thought the same for Patriots Day too to be honest so maybe I've answered my own question. But I do wonder how Trent and Atticus feel about the apparent lack of interest in the projects - I know commercially it's not an issue as they've said recently, but I think I'd still feel a little disheartened if I was them.

piggy
10-22-2017, 12:40 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head by saying that the scores have a smaller audience and I think that's true of scores in general, not just TR/AR stuff. If NIN was over and TR/AR were doing scores exclusively (or even if the scores bore the NIN name) people would most likely pay more attention. Along those lines, I think the amount of NIN activity this year has overshadowed the last two scores.

Another possibility is that these two have racked up enough scores in such a relatively short amount of time that perhaps people aren't as excited as they were in the beginning with TSN and TGWTDT. Still another idea is that people may be tempted to lump the scores together as being one unified style of music, when in reality each score probably has enough of its own vibe and character to be appreciated individually.

richardp
10-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-22-2017, 11:36 AM
I get nearly as excited about one of their soundtrack album releases as I do a regular NIN album/EP release. For me, it’s appointment listening — my favorite band is releasing a new album of material. Maybe the setting or the atmosphere is a little different in context for a soundtrack collection, but it’s still essentially a new NIN album to me..

sonic_discord
10-22-2017, 10:41 PM
I'd like to point out that this thread does have 11 pages worth of discussion. I know that's nothing compared to Add Violence's 59 pages, but at the same time, it's not like there's only 2 or 3 pages. I also think (as was touched on above) that a big part of it is the fact that there has been a lot of score work coming out of these guys lately, too. Plus the new NIN – which will always take precedence when it comes to discussion on a NIN board. I mean, last year, we got Juno, Before the Flood, and Not the Actual Events. This year, we've already got Patriot's Day, Add Violence, The Vietnam War, the Halloween theme, and a song from the Walled Off Hotel – with another new NIN EP expected by year's end (hopefully) – plus the (mini) NIN tour. When there's this much activity and new music coming out (which is a GREAT "problem" to have), there's bound to be less discussion about some of the score work because of the wealth of other projects.

bobbie solo
10-23-2017, 12:22 AM
I know that personally the amount of material Trent's put out since last summer (Juno for NASA, Green Lines for Banksy, Before The Flood, Patriot's Day, both NIN EP's, Fragile Deviations, the Halloween Theme, the Bowie re-work, Vietnam War...and I'm prolly forgetting something) has been overwhelming. Couple all that with all the other music constantly coming out that I am checking for, and I haven't really had the time to repeatedly explore the soundtrack stuff.

joplinpicasso
10-28-2017, 10:03 AM
There's no way "What Comes Back" doesn't sound very old-school. Halfway through the soundtrack and it really takes it's time. Lots of piano. Very brooding. It does sound more 'background-y' than TSN, TGWTDT, GG, and PD but it is, of course, beautiful music from TR+AR.

Sister Midnight
10-28-2017, 06:11 PM
I was really kind of hoping (even though I knew it was highly unlikely) at the recent Las Vegas show that in between songs or as a lead in to another song that NIN would have broken into a version of "What Comes Back". That would have blown me away. I fucking love that song.

allegate
10-30-2017, 02:05 PM
I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.
We listen to The Score (https://twitter.com/The_Score_AC) every weekend because it's such an awesome show.

MrLobster
11-09-2017, 03:03 AM
Finally getting a chance to listen to it... I'm quite enjoying it. It brings "atmosphere".

HurtinMinorKey
12-11-2017, 10:24 AM
It's a sad reflection of the age in which we live that this album has been out for over a month and on THE MOST Reznor-orientated website anywhere in the world, only a handful of people (and a significant minority at that) have actually passed comment on the music produced by Trent and Atticus on their latest small plastic disc. Not always breaking boundaries (and in the context, not meant to anyway) but the music is quite often vital, and at times enthralling. No wonder so many artists think (and more and more are articulating) 'why bother' these days. I don't know whether there's just a considerably smaller audience for soundtracks v NIN/HTDA, but I'm shocked how little people are talking about this release. Thought the same for Patriots Day too to be honest so maybe I've answered my own question. But I do wonder how Trent and Atticus feel about the apparent lack of interest in the projects - I know commercially it's not an issue as they've said recently, but I think I'd still feel a little disheartened if I was them.

I'm finally listening to it for the first time. I held out for as long as I could, because I wanted to see the show first, but I haven't been able to manage it. Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.

All that BS aside, I'm really liking this. It reminds me a lot of GWTDT but with less atmospherics and more aggression.

joplinpicasso
12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.

Curious, what was your disagreement with their involvement with that film? Glad you like TVW, though.

snichols
12-11-2017, 12:36 PM
patriots day was actually a really good movie! the soundtrack was excellent, of course!

simonn
12-11-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm finally listening to it for the first time. I held out for as long as I could, because I wanted to see the show first, but I haven't been able to manage it. Also, FWIW, I was pretty upset that TR/AR was involved in Patriots Day, so I decided I wasn't going to listen or purchase that soundtrack.

All that BS aside, I'm really liking this. It reminds me a lot of GWTDT but with less atmospherics and more aggression.

I'm surprised at the 'more aggression' comment. I've found it one of the more ambient works personally. More background music-y than the multitude of full on guitar tracks on TGWTDT, but then there are a lot of songs on that album. Both TVW and PD are still getting pretty heavy rotation at mine, and PD is now nearly a year old (based on the FYC that circulated round these parts). Probably prefer PT of the two, as it was relatively concise and as a result I don't find the need to skip any of it. But Before Dawn is the highlight of the CD for me, quite eerie, dark and orchestral.

onthewall2983
12-14-2017, 05:56 PM

That's probably a good thing, depending on your relationship to music I guess. The music is one of the first things I always take into account when watching a movie, even a great one. But it's something I could take or leave because I want to be taken in by it as a whole. It's only when you see something again and again you might pick up on what the editing or cinematography is achieving, as well as the music.

The flip side to that is there are now fewer scores out there which become almost as popular as the movie anymore. There's still good work being done, by lots of talented people in that field, but there is a difference between the kinds of scores we see now and in the 80's for example. Then again it may have always been that way too, that there are people who loved Star Wars but haven't a clue who John Williams is.

Shadaloo
06-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.

OSLIN
06-28-2018, 01:34 PM
Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.

I was listening today at work and couldn't agree more. What Comes Back is just incredible.

eversonpoe
06-28-2018, 04:30 PM
i listened in the car yesterday for the first time in a while and the whole thing is gorgeous. it's a shame it came out around the same time as so much other stuff because it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

piggy
06-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I admit that I haven't been that into the scores in general, but this one really captured my attention.

chuckrh
08-05-2018, 05:19 PM
started watching the series. i had listened to the score already. it works really well in context with the film.

joplinpicasso
08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
The Social Network
The Vietnam War
Gone Girl
Patriots Day
Before The Flood

eversonpoe
08-14-2018, 11:00 PM
Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
The Social Network
The Vietnam War
Gone Girl
Patriots Day
Before The Flood

patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!

joplinpicasso
08-17-2018, 09:21 AM
patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!

Hmm, I was really impressed by the PD score when it came out. I should admit that it's the only score for which I haven't also seen the accompanying film (I've watched half of The Vietnam War). It's stark and abrasive. I've connected a lot of the scores to eras and feelings in my real life, except for PD. Yet!

That being said, Before The Flood is beautiful, but it feels the most disjointed, and that's definitely because it was a collaborative project. I don't dislike it at all. Hell, the title track is a masterpiece in electronica, IMO.

But Dragon Tattoo, damn. I can only listen to that shit in the dead of winter. It's an icy mammoth of a record.

Deadpool
08-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Can't rank these just yet, but I want to say that Patriots Day has a special place in my heart which I can't fully articulate.

I weirdly(?) love the film, but the 'Fincher Trilogy' = 3 of my favorite films of all time so that's not a unique trait necessarily. I think I like the brevity (by Trenticuss standards), and by extension the flow & track order. That definitely separates it. In terms of number of songs, it comes in under or matches proper NIN albums, which is appealing – I think that makes it look more accessible to me when I'm scrolling through which TR/AR soundtracks I want to casually vibe out on.

RE: Before the Flood, I feel similar to joplinpicasso. It's obviously fantastic and arguably the most unique, but the disjointed aspect slightly dilutes the experience for me.

All that being said, I am immensely grateful for all the score work we've been blessed with.

GulDukat
08-21-2018, 02:01 PM
I'm a little late to the game but I ordered the film score, the documentary and soundtrack. I just finished watching episode one and it really is outstanding, just really, really engrossing. There was so much information to absorb I had to pause and re-watch certain segments. And of course the score works beautifully. The soundtrack is chock-full of classic songs so it's nice to have them all in one compilation.

chuckrh
08-23-2018, 04:30 AM
episode 4: instrumental version of the wretched. perfect!!!!!!

spahn
10-28-2019, 07:36 AM
I was listening today at work and couldn't agree more. What Comes Back is just incredible.

So listening to this on the way to work this morning and yes, this is as good as the latest we heard from Watchmen...and so is Justified Response.

I think we are at a point where the soundtrack catalog is pretty expansive that we tend to forget some of the gems that are on these OSTs. I try to go back and revisit them from time-to-time because they are all amazing in their own way.

StockAvuryah
11-08-2019, 01:23 PM
Somehow the Watchmen Vol01 score is a gateway to this score. I didn't pay enough attention last time I listened to this, it's incredibl(er).

katara
11-08-2019, 03:33 PM
From what you're all saying, I should definitely listen to this again. Aside from a few tracks peppered here and there, I felt it was really generic TRAR fare. Then again, I've only heard it twice. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood.

sonic_discord
11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
From what you're all saying, I should definitely listen to this again. Aside from a few tracks peppered here and there, I felt it was really generic TRAR fare. Then again, I've only heard it twice. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood.

I, too, initially felt that way and to be honest, I haven't spent much time listening to it since the month of its release. I have a playlist on my iPod of all the TR & AR scores (and one-off songs like Juno, Green Lines & the Halloween theme) and I was adding Watchmen to it yesterday when I realized that it adds up to an insane 11 hours and 20 minutes of material! I didn't realize there was THAT much. Anyway, I remember liking Justified Response, Strangers in Lockstep, and a couple of others, but I should try to give it a second chance.

onthewall2983
11-09-2019, 07:06 AM
Is it just me or did it feel like the documentary really used "Pieces Form The Whole" from TSN more than what is on the original score? There's a lot of other music I recognized in that soundtrack (that acted as score, besides the pop/r&b/folk/rock stuff), and it seemed like that piano melody stuck out as being consistent throughout.

eversonpoe
11-09-2019, 09:03 AM
i still think "torn polaroid" is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking pieces TR+AR have created

StockAvuryah
11-09-2019, 01:16 PM
i still think "torn polaroid" is one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking pieces TR+AR have created

Fucking hell right, it pierces my soul, with those chords alone. Those drones compliment it beautifully, as the standalone ones in "She reminds me of you", in the Gone Girl score.

Prettybrokenspiral
11-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Vietnam War is an unsung masterpiece in their oeuvre. Much like Gone Girl, you have to spend some time with it before the layers peel back and the whole thing reveals itself. It certainly rivals TGWTDT as their darkest score work. If you only listen to it a few times or the month it comes out and no further, well, of course it's not going to leave an impression. All of their scores require intensive listening. That's what makes them so awesome..

spahn
11-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Vietnam War is an unsung masterpiece in their oeuvre. Much like Gone Girl, you have to spend some time with it before the layers peel back and the whole thing reveals itself. It certainly rivals TGWTDT as their darkest score work. If you only listen to it a few times or the month it comes out and no further, well, of course it's not going to leave an impression. All of their scores require intensive listening. That's what makes them so awesome..

I couldn't agree with you more. With all the soundtracks, they do seem, to use a description that has been given, "blend together" and all tend to sound alike at first/second/third listen. But like trent has said, good music will reward you after time.
I've been giving each soundtrack about a two-week listening time-frame over the past month or so ( I have an hour drive to and from work) so I have been able to really give it a good listen. Each soundtrack is so distinct and rewarding in its own way.

Haysey_Draws
11-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Less Likely is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music TR and AR have made, the only other 2 songs that come close are Leaving Hope and La Mer.

Wolfkiller
03-26-2020, 03:36 PM
The vinyl downloads for these are broken(ha) and the nin store isn't working properly to get a help ticket for me. Any advice?

spahn
09-15-2021, 10:41 AM
Happy 4th to this gem of a score!

https://twitter.com/nincatalog/status/1438095257527226370