PDA

View Full Version : Run-ins with T. Rez

Biolumin3sc3nt
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I remember when I was going to school at Full Sail, I used to hear some "tales" about studio sessions with Trent. Just wondering if anyone had a story of their own through personal experience? Would love to hear it. Doesn't matter if you were an intern, assistant, or Joey the Pizza delivery boy - If you crossed paths at some point - let's hear it ( studio related preferred )

sheepdean
12-09-2011, 09:25 PM
This thread is also known as "how I stalked Trent Reznor"

Leviathant
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
One time I met this girl from Australia and we went on a road trip to New Orleans. On our last day in New Orleans, we went to a Spiritualized show at the House of Blues and Trent Reznor showed up.

littlemonkey613
12-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Found out Trent was a few 100 feet from my dorm room last year and I had no idea. He surprised a film class with David Fincher and they discussed the film. I was so pissed at myself when I found out this year UGH.

Biolumin3sc3nt
12-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Sheepy D. by all means, I lurk before stalk : )

Vertigo
12-10-2011, 02:47 AM
From the thread title, I was kind of expecting a video of some wrestler slowly and unconvincingly trash-talking into a mic, when suddenly Trent's intro music hits, he runs down to the ring and bodyslams the dude through a flaming table.
Was a little disappointed.

wolfpuppet
12-12-2011, 02:32 AM
I interviewed Trent during the Wave Goodbye tour. He was fairly intimidating (and had a fridge-sized bodyguard), but didn't act like a blasé rockstar. He dug deep got into my questions and even asked me a few questions in return. He even signed my copy of TDS, even if I was briefed by the promoter not to ask for an autograph. Definitely a great subject.

NotoriousTIMP
12-12-2011, 03:15 AM
I've met TR couple of times over the past few years and the most memorable visit was at the Davis, CA show where I got him to sign my Slam Bamboo 7". My friend and I had made our way (and were the only people back there) to the rear of the venue and caught TR and Leo making their way inside. Just before they went in, we called TR over. We did the usual "thanks for coming over and saying hi" stuff and I handed him my 7". He started to bend over a little bit to rest the record on his knee when all of a sudden he stopped half way and said "oh shit, where the hell did to find this thing?" to which I replied "eBay" :) he said something to the effect of taking it easy on him since he's getting older now, laughed & signed it, then handed it back to me and said "see you guys inside". I'll try and dig up a photo of the cover here in a bit....

*edit*

Found it! :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefdf57f-c896-d081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

sheepdean
12-12-2011, 06:40 AM
^Awesome story and sig. If I ever meet him, hell I'm getting hold of a copy of Vinyl Sun's "Angel" for him to sign, just so me and like 5 other people in the world will find it really hilarious.

ItsJustDave
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I interviewed Trent during the Wave Goodbye tour. He was fairly intimidating (and had a fridge-sized bodyguard), but didn't act like a blasé rockstar. He dug deep got into my questions and even asked me a few questions in return. He even signed my copy of TDS, even if I was briefed by the promoter not to ask for an autograph. Definitely a great subject.

Is this available online anywhere?

jrdsctt
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I know many of you have met and talked with the man, but here is my only pathetic and somewhat violent claim to fame. It was during the first Chicago show of the Waves Goodbye.NINJA tour, the one show that Janes Addiction didn't play at. We were at the Charter pavilion, it was crowded as fuck, I was in the front getting squished but not up against the rail. The first 75% of the show was like this, battling to stay alive and trying to enjoy the show as best I could and the last 25% things cooled down and everything was awesome. During that fist 75% of the show, NIN played Piggy and everyone freaked out (as they did with every song played that night). Near the middle/endish of the song Trent jumped out into the crowd, kind of. He was standing on some sort of something and leaning against the railing and people were grabbing and pulling on him while the bouncer tried to keep him planted as well as they could. I was probably 10-15 feet away from Trent and I saw this as my only chance. I moved and wriggled and fought and one of my arms free. I was trying as hard I could to move towards him, but it was to no avail. Here is where I loose it and do something really douchey. I grabbed my fist with my other hand, slammed by elbow down, caught someone in the neck, and launched myself into the air, flew over the crowd, and grabbed onto Trent's right, sweaty, cold, amazing hand for about 5 seconds. Shortly after Trent got pulled out and I got sucked back into the crowd. I am not proud of my actions, but it's probably the one highlights of my life so far. Like I said I know some of you have talked and met him, but this is what I got.

Lisbeth
12-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Austin NINJA. While SSSC was on and before the NIN went on. In his "room" with Rob and a couple other peeps (maybe Brett?). Immediately got a hug eventho I held out my hand to shake his. Offered us something to drink...I still have the empty vitamin water bottle. He joked and smiled the whole time...very chatty.

Then again after the NIN set and during JA. More chatting, smiles and hugs before saying goodbye.

Totally changed my perception.

wolfpuppet
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Is this available online anywhere?

Yep. Here you go (http://splintr.com/playlist_music.php?bandID=28). Click "NIN Documentary."

Malechite
12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep. Here you go (http://splintr.com/playlist_music.php?bandID=28). Click "NIN Documentary."

Thanks. Wondering why I've never seen this.

wolfpuppet
12-12-2011, 09:01 PM
You're welcome. I remember posting this on the old ETS. Since the promoter released the interview, way, waaaay after the tour, it didn't cross my mind to submit it as news to the Hotline. Anyways, enjoy!

Here's the CD I got signed (It was already cracked long before I asked for the autograph):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/fishkiller/Image2645.jpg

Wretchedest
12-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Found out Trent was a few 100 feet from my dorm room last year and I had no idea. He surprised a film class with David Fincher and they discussed the film. I was so pissed at myself when I found out this year UGH.
Was that the one at USC? My buddy, who actually introduced me to NIN in the first place was in a graduate film scoring class and they showed up. needless to say he basically shit himself.

demgoth
12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
My one meeting with Trent (and Robin, Justin, & Ilan) was at the Holmdel, NJ NINJA show in June 2009, thanks to the Eric De La Cruz fundraising initiative done by Trent and the band. I had always kinda sorta hoped that I would maybe run into Trent randomly before a NIN show somewhere around the venue (is that creepy?) but it never happened, not that I actively tried to seek him out.. although I did run into Josh Freese on the boardwalk in Atlantic City before the November 2008 House of Blues show (great guy by the way).
Anyway when I heard that I could help out a good cause and in turn meet Trent and co., get autographs, see the soundcheck, etc. I jumped on the opportunity. Unfortunately I couldn't afford the $1000 donation so I did the $300 option. I took my best friend as my guest who also loved NIN. Unfortunately he passed away in October but I'll always remember that day and how it played out. We had a great time. It really helped him get his mind off of his father having a very bad stroke just weeks before that (luckily he has since recovered pretty well). We got on the wrong line since we were too far away to hear what line the organizer outside the show was telling us to get on, based on our donation. After waiting what felt like an hour in the hot sun we finally got walked into the meeting area. I got my vinyl of The Fragile signed and shook Trent's hand, smiling the whole time and telling him how it was great to meet him and that he is an inspiration. I didn't know what else to say since I was pretty nervous.
Since we got on the wrong line, my friend and I were lucky enough to get a private picture with Trent and band which we weren't supposed to have gotten ($300 donors got a group picture if I'm not mistaken). After the picture we walked out and sat down to soak in what had just happened. Looking at the picture on my digital camera screen to see if that really just happened. It was unbelievable.
Then we went down into the seats in front of the stage to see the soundcheck where they played Home, I'm Afraid of Americans, Lights In The Sky, and In This Twilight which were all amazing. I love watching the fan videos of the soundcheck on YouTube and reliving that part of the day. Then after watching and enjoying Street Sweeper Social Club from our awesome seats in the 5th row (thanks to nin.com presale), NIN launched into what was probably one of the best sets I've ever seen them play. So many awesome moments.. Pinion>Wish opener, Last, Meet Your Master, La Mer, The Way Out Is Through. Just an all out amazing experience.
We left before Jane's Addiction since I had seen them already at the Las Vegas and Camden NINJA shows and my friend didn't really care to see them. I gave my tickets to some Jane's fan on the way out, figured it was a nice thing to do to give them a free upgrade to the 5th row to see a band they really love. Although immediately after that I realized I gave away my ticket stubs and regretted it, now it's the only show I went to that I don't have the stub for, although I still have the e-mail confirmation that I save in it's place haha. Just the other day I watched the two live from on stage videos taken at this show by Rob Sheridan and was thinking about how it was one of the best days of my life.

ubermensch
12-13-2011, 04:52 AM
i hugged Trent from the rail after The Big Comedown atthe woodlands showin houston on 6/4/06. Thats the extent of my run in. I am still on a mission to meet him.

lady weetly
12-13-2011, 05:39 AM
I met Trent, Justin, and Ilan in Noblesville May 30th, 2009. My M&G parter was wearing a homemade "Interests are Puppies and Modular Synthesizers" shirt which really cracked all of them up. So when it was time to take a picture with them Trent said "Come on girls... -mumbled- with your puppies and modular synthesizers". It was great and I got warm hugs from all of them.

At my next NIN|JA show in Pittsburgh, Trent was upset before the show dealing with the twitter trolls so my best friend and I made a banner that said "stay positive!" with a rainbow and smiling clouds. It was so stupid, but we took it out before his speech and smiled and laughed at it. The two photos on this thing was his reaction to our banner (http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw20t5Rrve1qgw44ko1_500.jpg). After the speech he pointed at me before going into the next song which was really cool. :)

sick among the pure
12-13-2011, 08:36 AM
...Near the middle/endish of the song Trent jumped out into the crowd... I grabbed my fist with my other hand, slammed by elbow down, caught someone in the neck... grabbed onto Trent's right, sweaty, cold, amazing hand for about 5 seconds.

That... wow. I talk sometimes about my "claim to fame" being holding Trent's hand at the end of Piggy for the entirety of the "nothing can stop me now" part, and all the wonders that lead up to that, but that's because I shelled out $75 for The Spiral and then showed up at 10am to get on the rail in front of Trent. I didn't go psycho man on someone's neck. Every pit I was on, whenever someone was being a douche and intentionally hurting someone (usually to get a better spot), everyone would defend the person getting hurt and go after the aggressor. Aka, you would have gotten the shit knocked out of you for attacking someone like that.

sick among the pure
12-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I remember that sign, man, that was awesome! Thanks so much for making it! I remember someone next to me pointed it out and said "is that a fucking smiley face? At a Nine Inch Nails show?!" then we both started laughing.

jrdsctt
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
That... wow. I talk sometimes about my "claim to fame" being holding Trent's hand at the end of Piggy for the entirety of the "nothing can stop me now" part, and all the wonders that lead up to that, but that's because I shelled out $75 for The Spiral and then showed up at 10am to get on the rail in front of Trent. I didn't go psycho man on someone's neck. Every pit I was on, whenever someone was being a douche and intentionally hurting someone (usually to get a better spot), everyone would defend the person getting hurt and go after the aggressor. Aka, you would have gotten the shit knocked out of you for attacking someone like that.

It wasn't really and intentional attack on anyone, I kinda got sucked out of the crowd when I got up enough and I didn't really know what was going on, I feel bad for what ended up happening and if I could ever apologize to the guy who got hit I would. I know pit etiquette and I that's not something I want to do or have done to anyone. It was kinda like I saw him in the crowd got up and kinda was flung over there, wasn't really thinking about it until it was already happening. Anyway if we if we ever end up at a show together and you want to kick the shit out of me, go for it. I know I deserve it.

jrdsctt
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Well I feel like a complete asshole now. Sorry everyone...

butter_hole
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
he called me a cunt on the old ETS once...

theruiner
12-14-2011, 12:01 AM
he called me a cunt on the old ETS once...Yeah, but who hasn't he done that to on ETS? ;)

lady weetly
12-14-2011, 02:48 AM
I remember that sign, man, that was awesome! Thanks so much for making it! I remember someone next to me pointed it out and said "is that a fucking smiley face? At a Nine Inch Nails show?!" then we both started laughing.
Killaya and I both made it (I forgot to give her credit). But yeah, we were afraid it was going to piss him off but it all worked out in the end. :D Also here's a photo (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/she_shines92/CIMG2578.jpg) of the sign for the lulz.

M1ke
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, but who hasn't he done that to on ETS? ;)

I don't think he's ever called me a cunt....can I count that as better than a run-in?

jrdsctt
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't think he's ever called me a cunt....can I count that as better than a run-in?

Wait, are we talking about Trent or sick among the pure?

non_ame
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I bought Trent Reznor's old computer off of ebay about a 10 years ago when NOTHING records was selling off all their old stuff. It was erased, but I was able to get it back anyway. This kinda counts as meeting him right?

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=Comp1.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r523/user_ame/?action=view&current=Comp1.jpg)

sheepdean
01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Well done, you're now going to receive a hundred PMs asking about audio files :P

Although I'll add: if there's any cool art/hi res art that we currently only have as standard res...

non_ame
01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
No art. Just lots of Nord and Midi files. And random personal stuff. And unused lyrics which sound more mopey than usual.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r523/user_ame/?action=view&current=Comp2.jpg

MAD
01-30-2012, 06:32 PM
That is relevant to my interests.

Tell us more.

sheepdean
01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
...and a file that implies that Tapeworm was going to have like every vocalist under the sun on it?

non_ame
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm sure the vocalist list was just people he would of liked to ask. He probly only recorded with Phil from Pantera and 1 or 2 others.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r523/user_ame/?action=view&current=Comp3.jpg

non_ame
01-30-2012, 07:13 PM
http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r523/user_ame/?action=view&current=Comp4.jpg

Highly Psychological
01-30-2012, 09:41 PM
I met him in July 2005 in London Brxiton Academy for about 20 mintues. And nearly had a panic attack, my heart was beating really fast and i was sweating and was having trouble speaking.....Its ridiculous I know, He knew my friend and was catching up with her. they spent most of the time talking about he recent nasty depressing London Underground terrorist Bombings which fucking typically occured that bloody week. not what i had in mind, he also spoke he loved playing the big city crowds London, New York, L.A and said he lived here briefly in 1989 making Pretty Hate Machine . Didnt want to interlope, But I just sort of stood there staring vacantly. trying not to look too gormless, Had the chance to ask questions but fucked up, Said a few things. Was nice. He was 'tired' from the tour. Wish i could go back in time and change what i said!! oh god, wish i could change what i was wearing to impress him, oh crimety and my fucking hair that year was awful ,he must have thought i looked like a fucking WHORE. I didnt know what the fuck to say to him. I thought he would judge me, and say 'who the fuck is this British douchebag, WASTING MY TIME'. And get the security goons to start beating me up and ripping up my NIN memorabilia.

At the after show party of the same gig someone informed me it was Flood with Alan Moulder standing opposite me, I barely knew what those people looked like and even they all got me a bit shaky, some people you put on a pedestal are just human. Same with Russell Mills who was there WTF? I love his artwork but come on!

Where do you begin with Trent though ?? He is a legend in my eyes, would he have been able to strike up a conversation with Bowie when he was a nobody?? I didnt want to gush. Or embarrass him. He has probably heard all the compliments 'good show' 'like the new record' 'your music changed my life' etc millions of times. He is probably SO sick of it. I would want to ask proper geeky questions like recording techniques for the Downward Spiral, but the time was not right as he was preparing for the show.
Er so yeah that was me meeting him!!!

sick among the pure
02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Wait, are we talking about Trent or sick among the pure?

Why would I call someone a cunt?