PDA

View Full Version : The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

onthewall2983
12-09-2011, 07:05 PM
2012 inductees. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/guns-n-roses-beastie-boys-red-hot-chili-peppers-chosen-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20111207) :mad: On the upside it is nice to see the Faces and Donovan (I agree with his inclusion if just for the use of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" in Zodiac alone) in. On a further upside, the online backlash against the Hall that's also made it's way onto some of the airwaves is finally getting it's own recognition. Hard Rock/Metal DJ (and host of VH1 Classic's That Metal Show) Eddie Trunk, one who's let his opinion be very well known, is interviewing President and CEO of the Hall of Fame Joel Peresman (who even himself concedes that long-time critical rock establishment whipping boys Rush should be inducted (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57339234-10391698/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-wheres-rush-kiss/)) on his SiriusXM show on the 19th.

thevoid99
12-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I loathe the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame not for the bands they snub but who they put in so they can get people to pay $2000 a seat to eat expensive food and listen to rock n' roll in tuxedos. Rock n' Roll is not about expensive food and having ceremonies at the fucking Waldorf Astoria.

Space Suicide
12-09-2011, 11:18 PM
I loathe the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame not for the bands they snub but who they put in so they can get people to pay $2000 a seat to eat expensive food and listen to rock n' roll in tuxedos. Rock n' Roll is not about expensive food and having ceremonies at the fucking Waldorf Astoria.

LOL! Valid points.

onthewall2983
12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Hard Rock/Metal DJ (and host of VH1 Classic's That Metal Show) Eddie Trunk, one who's let his opinion be very well known, is interviewing President and CEO of the Hall of Fame Joel Peresman (who even himself concedes that long-time critical rock establishment whipping boys Rush should be inducted (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-57339234-10391698/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-wheres-rush-kiss/)) on his SiriusXM show on the 19th.

This is on right now.

Kid Charlemagne
12-20-2011, 12:54 AM
As much as the hall of fame sucks for what it is. Eddie Trunk can eat shit, he's one of the most closed minded figures in all of music and each time I try to watch That Metal Show, he contradicts himself or gets mad at something for not being "metal" enough. Even if it's something as a prelude to it.

terryzen
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
'Rock & Roll' is an overused term that has lost its meaning. They just need to change the name of the place to the Music Hall of Fame and be done with it.

onthewall2983
12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
The interview was okay, I didn't take away anything from it telling me that this guy was going to change anything because of it. The question was put forth if fans could have any say, and the guy just said "isn't going to happen" with little to no explanation why. That tells me a lot about their thinking, and how truly it is more of a Stone Cutters club than it is a reflection of the history of rock. I hope I'm wrong though.

onthewall2983
10-04-2012, 08:20 AM
2013 nominees include Albert King, Chic, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procul Harum, Public Enemy, Randy Newman and Rush. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-public-enemy-deep-purple-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20121004)

The bigger story to me, is that they are finally allowing fans an olive branch and letting them vote online (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vote-for-the-2013-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20121004).

Leman Russ
10-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Having been to the Rock Hall, I can say it is the most boring museum I have ever been to. For one devoted to an entertainment genre with a history of breaking the societal norms, influencing many other areas of entertainment and life in general, and at one time being a driving cultural force, the HOF falls short in showcasing any of that.

Fixer808
10-04-2012, 11:47 AM
"N.W.A and Public Enemy inducted into Rock 'N' Roll hall of fame. Respond by rolling around in money and pissing on their former reputations."
http://iasshole.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/icecube.jpg

onthewall2983
10-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Having been to the Rock Hall, I can say it is the most boring museum I have ever been to. For one devoted to an entertainment genre with a history of breaking the societal norms, influencing many other areas of entertainment and life in general, and at one time being a driving cultural force, the HOF falls short in showcasing any of that.

Being that it's in Cleveland, that's no surprise.

Leman Russ
10-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Being that it's in Cleveland, that's no surprise.

At least it's not in Detroit. In all seriousness, the rock hall is in a pretty cool part of Cleveland, it just suffers from poor execution. I like Elton John as much as the next guy, but I don't need to see 7 outfits he wore on his 1972 world tour to appreciate the contributions he's made to music. Tell me more about what he's done to change music, what he did that nobody else did, or anything more about his life & career, and I'll be happy.

Sutekh
10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the selection of artists they've inducted isn't that outrageous? Pretty broad selection

on a long enough timeline even hed pe will be in there, relax

thevoid99
12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/vindication-2013-rock-hall-fame-inductees-191700784.html

Finally! The people have spoken... RUSH is in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame!!!!

botley
12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/vindication-2013-rock-hall-fame-inductees-191700784.html

Finally! The people have spoken... RUSH is in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame!!!!
Took 'em long enough! *cues up 'Tom Sawyer' on repeat*

...also Public Enemy — resPEct!

onthewall2983
10-16-2013, 08:55 AM
2014 nominees (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nirvana-kiss-hall-and-oates-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20131016). And like last year they are allowing fans to vote using this (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vote-for-the-2014-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20131016) poll.

The relevant news here is that NIN isn't among those listed. Which I doubt bothers Trent or many here anyway.

Lerxto
10-16-2013, 09:20 AM
In order to be eligible for this year's ballot, artists or bands need to have released their first single or album in 1988 or earlier.

Maybe this is why? I thought Down in it was released in 1989. (or it could be my bad memory)

onthewall2983
10-16-2013, 02:05 PM
That's probably a typo, it's 25 years not 24.

thevoid99
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
All I want inducted for next year are: Deep Purple, Hall & Oates, the Replacements, Linda Ronstadt, Yes, and KISS. That is all. I love Nirvana but I would rather have them wait a few more years so that the following can be inducted: Joy Division/New Order, Big Star, Badfinger, the Moody Blues, the New York Dolls, the MC5, Wire, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. That's all I have so far. LL Cool J can eat my asshole that steroid-laden fuckhead.

Charmingly Miserable
10-16-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm not interested in Nirvana being inducted although they probably will. I would like to see Hall & Oates, NWA, Chic, Linda Ronstadt and YES get it.

Maximilian
10-17-2013, 06:46 AM
I voted for Yes, Hall & Oates, Peter Gabriel, Kiss and Nirvana.

While I enjoy Blackmore's playing, I never got the big deal about Deep Purple. Overrated if you ask me....

allegro
10-17-2013, 08:36 AM
That's probably a typo, it's 25 years not 24.
1988 = 25 years ago, the requirement to be inducted. NIN won't be eligible until next year.

Did Nirvana release a single in 1988??

Deep Purple is classic in the history of rock: Smoke on the Water (!!!!), Hush, Highway Star, Space Truckin', Woman from Tokyo ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ScDz4Vj98

onthewall2983
10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
1988 = 25 years ago, the requirement to be inducted. NIN won't be eligible until next year.

Did Nirvana release a single in 1988??

They did release a single in '88. But I'm pretty sure they count 25 down from the year of the class of being inducted. The 1994 class for example had four artists/groups that all had their first releases in 1969.

tony.parente
10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not interested in Nirvana being inducted although they probably will. I would like to see Hall & Oates, NWA, Chic, Linda Ronstadt and YES get it.

Nirvana absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame, not because I like their music but the huge impact they made in the music world and pop culture in general. They are the tupac/biggie of the rock world.

allegro
10-17-2013, 09:57 AM
They did release a single in '88. But I'm pretty sure they count 25 down from the year of the class of being inducted. The 1994 class for example had four artists/groups that all had their first releases in 1969.
The Stooges didn't get inducted until one of them was dead.

Nirvana and voting is all obviously just another cheap ploy by the HofF suits to get people more interested so they'll come spend money at the failing museum in Cleveland.

The Hall of Fame is a joke, really.

thevoid99
10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I voted for Yes, Deep Purple, Hall & Oates, the Replacements, & Kiss. Nirvana should just wait. Besides, let some other bands get in first.

Charmingly Miserable
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Nirvana absolutely deserves to be in the hall of fame, not because I like their music but the huge impact they made in the music world and pop culture in general. They are the tupac/biggie of the rock world.
Yes, they have made a huge impact on the music world but I think others deserve a place before them. (I'm looking at you, Soundgarden. One day.)

Highly Psychological
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
NIN will be year after, 2015, the recordings have to be over 25 years old, Down in It came out in September 1989.

Nirvana released Love Buzz in 1988. Replacements have been nominated this year too, they are overdue their first recording came out in 1979, I like them but always liked Husker Du more.

allegro
10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Deep Purple released their first album in 1968. And they're still not in the Hall of Fame.

Kiss released their first album in 1973. And they're still not in the Hall of Fame.

WorzelG
10-18-2013, 11:42 AM
^^^WTF? I cannot believe those two haven't been inducted yet GNR were, even though Axl didn't bother turning up (not that I really blamed him)

Trent said 'fuck rock & roll' at Reading festival though, does that render NIN ineligible?

I read somewhere that bands actually had to pay a fee to be considered? Is that true? If so, that's not exactly rock & roll is it? (sorry I got confused between the R&R thing and the Hollywood stars walk of fame or whatever where I believe you have to pay to be eligible)

thevoid99
10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
It amazes me at the disrespect towards some of these great bands as they made great music yet it takes them years to actually get the recognition they deserved. I'm waiting for another Eddie Trunk rant. Here's some more names that I think should be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame right now: the Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Public Image Ltd., XTC, the Jam, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, OMD, and Pet Shop Boys. I know some of the synth-pop groups may be classified as pop but I think they deserve some recognition.

allegro
10-18-2013, 07:01 PM
But what gives the Rock n Roll "Hall of Fame" the authority to "recognize" any artist? It's not the Kennedy Honors; it's not prestigious at all; it's all about CASH for a schmaltzy "museum" that's nothing more than a giant Hard Rock Cafe. Who the fuck do the suits at the Hall of Fame think they are, bestowing this "honor" on this mish mash of artists, many of whom have nothing to do with "rock n roll?"

thevoid99
10-18-2013, 10:57 PM
I bet Rolling Stone magazine had to eat a shit sandwich when they found out the people voted for Rush to be in the Rock Hall while Jann Wenner, Dave Marsh, and all those dinosaurs who had slagged Rush for years had to kiss their ass. I want a picture of Jann Wenner getting a stinkface from Dave Gahan on the Depeche Mode gets inducted after all those years that piece of shit magazine has said about them.

onthewall2983
12-15-2013, 07:21 PM
The announcements will be made Tuesday morning. I really just want Yes to get in. Chris Squire wants Rush to induct them, which seems wholly appropriate. And apparently Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have changed their tune about the organization, as it seems there's a real chance they will get in.

Your Name Here
12-16-2013, 09:41 AM

copy, pay, print and fucking save.

SarahConnor
12-16-2013, 10:05 AM
^^^WTF? I cannot believe those two haven't been inducted yet GNR were, even though Axl didn't bother turning up (not that I really blamed him)

Trent said 'fuck rock & roll' at Reading festival though, does that render NIN ineligible?

I read somewhere that bands actually had to pay a fee to be considered? Is that true? If so, that's not exactly rock & roll is it? (sorry I got confused between the R&R thing and the Hollywood stars walk of fame or whatever where I believe you have to pay to be eligible)

That's more A&R than R&R.

Kid Charlemagne
12-16-2013, 10:30 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nirvana-kiss-e-street-lead-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fames-2014-class-20131216

Hall and Oates over The Replacements? What a fucking joke.

thevoid99
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nirvana-kiss-e-street-lead-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fames-2014-class-20131216

Hall and Oates over The Replacements? What a fucking joke.

I like Hall & Oates! They're cool. I'm just pissed that Deep Purple and Yes aren't inducted. I like Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, and Cat Stevens as I do think they're deserving as does Nirvana, Hall & Oates, and KISS. Still, I'm upset that the Replacements, Yes, and Deep Purple aren't in as I think they should be in it more. Then again, this is an institution that cares about selling tickets and such.

Louie_Cypher
12-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I was glad to see PG get in, nice little rollingstone piece, Arcade Fire's "Game's" is nice, as is Lou's "Solsbury" especially since his passing. David Byrne steals this album though. I love me some Peter Gabriel, I was literally dragged and drugged to my my first PG show, the "Security" tour. Never missed him since. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/is-peter-gabriels-new-album-finished-20131209
-Louie

Louie_Cypher
12-17-2013, 12:24 AM
I like Hall & Oates! They're cool. I'm just pissed that Deep Purple and Yes aren't inducted. I like Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, and Cat Stevens as I do think they're deserving as does Nirvana, Hall & Oates, and KISS. Still, I'm upset that the Replacements, Yes, and Deep Purple aren't in as I think they should be in it more. Then again, this is an institution that cares about selling tickets and such.

How did Yes end up doing? I saw them for my bithday this year, they put on a 3 hour show, Steve Howe is still the fucking man! They did Yes the album, Close to the Edge, and Going for the One, Prog bands never do well with R&R hall of shame. but again it's about selling those Ticks....(and Leaches)
-Louie

GulDukat
12-17-2013, 06:59 AM
Glad to see KISS and Nirvana make the cut this year. I wonder if Ace, Peter, Gene and Paul will play together? As for Nirvana, I'm betting that Dave Grohl will sing some Nirvana songs during the surviving members set.

Sutekh
12-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Macca will blatantly turn up

thevoid99
12-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Macca will blatantly turn up

Oh, he will since his former manager Brian Epstein along w/ former Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham are also inducted as non-performers while the E Street Band is going to get a special mention. Dave Marsh once again sucking Bruce Springsteen's cock like he's done for nearly 40 years.

BrokenSpiral
12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
As for Nirvana, I'm betting that Dave Grohl will sing some Nirvana songs during the surviving members set.

I doubt that. Maybe if they do marigold. I really don't know how they would handle the live performance aspect. Most likely route I see is maybe a jam medley with Krist and pat.

guest singer? Can't think if anyone who would make a ton of sense, including Dave.

thevoid99
12-17-2013, 10:16 PM
I'd rather have Dave sings the songs just as long as it isn't the likes of Wes Scallion, any lame post-grunge frontman, and worst of all, Smiley Virus. I will never forgive her for butchering "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

BrokenSpiral
12-17-2013, 10:21 PM
That will never happen. No way they just go get a guy who"kinda sounds like Kurt". Dave is buddies with the pearl Jam guys. Maybe Vedder could fill in? Or a jam/medley of songs and then all the inductees/performers of the night join at the end for Teen Spirit.

Who knows. For some reason I just don't see Dave singing.

thevoid99
12-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Maybe they can get Paul McCartney to sing "About a Girl" since it's the one song that sounds closest to the Beatles. And Kurt did love the Beatles.

Kid Charlemagne
12-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Don't think they'll perform any songs for the jam, but I would love to see Eddie Vedder induct them.

Charmingly Miserable
12-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Don't think they'll perform any songs for the jam, but I would love to see Eddie Vedder induct them.
I don't think so either. I could see Mark Arm inducting them but I'm kinda like, whatever on having them being inducted in to the HoF. Congrats to Peter Gabriel. I hope he brings his sledgehammer.

Sutekh
12-18-2013, 03:50 AM
please not eddie vedder... I know a lot of people grew up with pearl jam and will defend them to the end, but it's a different universe to Kurt, nowhere near as raw and - IMO - genuine. I feel like nirvana were more indie/punk in spirit, whereas pearl jam is totally arena rock

GulDukat
12-18-2013, 06:02 AM
please not eddie vedder... I know a lot of people grew up with pearl jam and will defend them to the end, but it's a different universe to Kurt, nowhere near as raw and - IMO - genuine. I feel like nirvana were more indie/punk in spirit, whereas pearl jam is totally arena rock

I always saw STP as an arena-rock/AOR band and Pearl Jam as a college type band, more akin to R.E.M. I wouldn't mind seeing a peer of Nirvana (Cornell, Vedder, Cantrell) make the induction speech, but I'm willing to bet it it will be a younger band, like Vampire Snoozefest or Jack White. The HOF often has a younger band do the induction, old-lion, young-lion kind of thing.

Jinsai
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Who gives a fuck? This is THE most meaningless accolade. Bravo on recognizing how great Hall and Oats were.

thevoid99
12-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I know there's people that slag Hall & Oates for being inducted yet they're a duo that really created not just some of the best blue-eyed soul music of the late 70s and in the 1980s. They were just cool as hell. They made so many good songs that it brought all kinds of people together whether you're into rock, pop, or soul music. Plus, how can anyone not love John Oates' mustache?

Jinsai
12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
they're a duo that really created not just some of the best blue-eyed soul music of the late 70s and in the 1980s.

"blue-eyed-soul" is a negative descriptor. Nobody would (or should) self-apply the term. It's like a genre tag for "disingenuous bullshit."

GulDukat
12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm not a huge Hall and Oates fan, but they wrote some good songs and they deserve to be inducted. The Monkees are the one band that is being overlooked and they should have been inducted years ago.

ChasingTheGhost
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Still waiting for Depeche Mode to get in...

thevoid99
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
The Monkees should totally be in. They get a bad rap. I like their songs. This is why the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is such a sham. They continuously disrespect so many. Damn right Depeche Mode should be in there as well. Yet, Kraftwerk should get in their first along with Neu! and Can.

elevenism
11-07-2021, 02:14 AM
BARACK OBAMA was part of Jay-Z's induction, apparently.

Todd Rundgren got in, but didn't go.

And I think Dr Dre inducted LL Cool J, and LL brought out Eminem as a surprise guest.

Carole King, The Go Gos, and Tina Turner also got in.

And the Foo Fighters. Devo was nominated. So was Iron Maiden. Foo Fighters got in before either.

:/

botley
11-07-2021, 05:26 AM
While I applaud Tina and Carole both getting in as solo acts, the Foo Fighters' induction is ridiculous. It was their first year eligible as a band (were they an actual band yet in 1995? Doesn't really matter anyway I guess, because Grohl).

In light of his asinine behaviour lately, it's disappointing that they chose to have Dave Chappelle give the speech inducting Jay-Z. It's yet another example of the gatekeeping attitude: "hey, this thing we want to enshrine as a cornerstone of American culture? It's not FOR YOU folks over there."

So, pretty on brand.

elevenism
05-05-2022, 10:35 AM
2022: Dolly Parton, Duran Duran, Eminem, Lionel Richie, Eurythmics, Carly Simon, Pat Benatar.

So, some damn good stuff in there for sure.

Still a lot of acts wondering if and when they'll ever get in though. Still no Devo or Iron Maiden. Rush was the most infuriating wait for me, personally.

Also, this is gonna be a bombshell for old school hip hop fans: Eminem before Rakim, KRS-One, Slick Rick, Kool G Rap, and a whole bunch of other cats from THAT era, not to mention hip hop icons who slightly predate the Eminem phenomenon like Snoop, OutKast, Wu-Tang.

Yeeeeah, the more I think about it, a lot of shit will be talked in the next couple of weeks.

chuckrh
05-05-2022, 10:47 AM
2022: Dolly Parton, Duran Duran, Eminem, Lionel Richie, Eurythmics, Carly Simon, Pat Benatar.

So, some damn good stuff in there for sure.

Still a lot of acts wondering if and when they'll ever get in, though. Rush was the most infuriating wait for me, personally.

Also, this is gonna be a bombshell in hip hop.
Lionel Ritchie? Rock? Really? :confused:

elevenism
05-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Lionel Ritchie? Rock? Really? :confused:

I was JUST THINKING about that. Doesn't it seem like this organization goes WAY out of its way to like, subvert expectations?

Where is Sonic Youth? Joy Division? Pixies?

GulDukat
05-05-2022, 11:51 AM
The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame should just have sub-categories for rap, pop, country, etc. artists.

Otherwise call it The Popular Music Hall of Fame.

sonic_discord
05-05-2022, 02:17 PM
The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame should just have sub-categories for rap, pop, country, etc. artists.

Otherwise call it The Popular Music Hall of Fame.

YES! Because every year this arguement comes up against anyone who's not considered "rock & roll," including country singers, rappers, etc. It happens every year. EVERY YEAR!

elevenism
05-05-2022, 05:49 PM
So, devil's advocate arguments:

I can definitely interpret hip hop as a form of punk rock.

Another BIG ass thing is that there's a fine line between rock and country and folk, especially if we're talking about old school music. Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Bill Haley...I could go on and on. And a LOT of this shit obviously influenced British rock bands.

There's all kinds of seminal american music that you might call rockabilly or rock or folk or blues or boogie woogie or country or a bunch of other things.

Then there was stuff like Bob Seger, Tom Petty, John Cougar, Flatlanders, Melissa Ethridge, George Thorogood, Creedence, Eagles, Neil Young, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Emmylou Harris, The Band...again, I could do this all day.

There's the whole outlaw country thing, with Kris Kristofferson, Willie, Hank Williams Jr.

What genre exactly was Jewel, for instance? Sheryl Crow? The Lemonheads get pretty damn twangy. Are Pet Shop Boys rock? Garth Brooks kind of rocks. Bruce Springsteen is pretty damn country at times.

And this is WITHOUT even getting into funk, blues, and r&b: I mean, James Brown? Little Richard? George Clinton? Ike Turner?

I guess what I'm saying is that a whole hell of a lot of this stuff, ESPECIALLY the formative artists, don't necessarily fit in a neat box. A LOT of it sprung from the same tree, and hundreds of older HoF worthy acts are on fairly similar branches, or MULTIPLE branches, fitting into multiple genres. Then, as time went on, this genre bending and fusion became more intentional, I think, with artists purposefully walking a fine line.

I'd imagine they were looking for the best catch all term, when they named the thing.