PDA

View Full Version : Award Season 2017

SchwarzerAbt
12-12-2016, 11:17 AM
The Golden Globe nominations are out: http://m.imdb.com/golden-globes/nominations/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2752615042&pf_rd_r=1HGQNEEDGAFWV3PBPV41&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=m_hm_gg_nom_hd

La la Land is leading the race. Apart from Deadpool I haven't seen any of these movies, so I'm looking forward to checking out as many as possible.

Sadly there's no nod for T&A this time. Neither a nomination for Best score nor for Best Song for thei work in Before the Flood. For Patriots Day these nomination come too early, I suppose?

Deepvoid
12-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Arrival was snubbed big time if you ask me.
It's all about La La Land and Moonlight.

Not surprised at all at TR & AR weren't nominated. Before the Flood was good but not award worthy.

implanted_microchip
12-12-2016, 12:08 PM
It's all about La La Land and Moonlight.

Not saying that it's fair, but pretty much everyone in the industry has been saying that they were the most likely awards movies. These ceremonies always have their own tastes, it says more about a certain kind of film than it does about film at large. Don't be surprised if the Oscars do the same thing.

I really don't think Before the Flood deserves any awards because while this year has seemed anorexic for good films, documentaries have been thriving. 13th, Weiner, Amanda Knox, I could go on. There's way too much to choose from for an overall extremely preachy Climate Change 101 documentary to get awards. The score was great, but I really don't think it did anything new when you compare it to their other 3 scores beyond having more people involved.

WorzelG
12-12-2016, 12:39 PM
Those nominations don't say anything about documentaries though? Is there a fuller list somewhere or are they included under the "motion picture' umbrella?

Deepvoid
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Those nominations don't say anything about documentaries though? Is there a fuller list somewhere or are they included under the "motion picture' umbrella?

Golden Globes don't have Best Documentary category anymore. It was discontinued in 1976.

marodi
12-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Arrival was snubbed big time if you ask me.

For emphasis.

Reading the nominees list went like this: "wat. wat. huh. WAT?" Hacksaw Ridge? really?

I'm happy for my girl Ruth Negga though. And for Ryan Reynolds. Five years ago, if anyone would have said that Ryan Reynolds would get a GG nomination for acting, they would have been laughed at mercilessly.

implanted_microchip
12-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Well Hacksaw Ridge swept at the Australian awards recently and is being treated as Gibson's huge comeback film, being included back into the fold of Hollywood, a place where raping a preteen will get a long list of industry elites petitioning to allow you to come to the Oscars without legal prosecution but saying terrible shit while battling alcoholism can kick you out for the better part of a decade, so I'm not surprised to see it getting so much attention here. I expect it to have a real presence at the Oscars as well, along with Moonlight and La La Land, though not as large as either of those two.

Vertigo
01-24-2017, 07:01 PM
The Oscar nominations are in. The biggest shocker for me is that Before The Flood was not nominated... FOR ANYTHING.

One of the entries that did get a nod for Best Feature-length Documentary was the OJ series, which a) was a TV show rather than a film, b) was serialised rather than feature-length, and c) was a biopic rather than a documentary.

But I guess it makes sense, this being the year that Trump won the White House - nobody wants to know about climate change. Particularly pisses me off given that the score is so incredible, easily up there with Trent's best instrumental work IMO.

WorzelG
01-29-2017, 01:17 AM
The Oscar nominations are in. The biggest shocker for me is that Before The Flood was not nominated... FOR ANYTHING.

One of the entries that did get a nod for Best Feature-length Documentary was the OJ series, which a) was a TV show rather than a film, b) was serialised rather than feature-length, and c) was a biopic rather than a documentary.

But I guess it makes sense, this being the year that Trump won the White House - nobody wants to know about climate change. Particularly pisses me off given that the score is so incredible, easily up there with Trent's best instrumental work IMO.

I'm sure the score wasn't on the eligibility list as it had so many composers. But I thought a minute to breathe could have been nominated over that awful Trolls thing, I didn't like that song. Not heard any of the LA la land songs because I hate musicals.

But if La La Land sweeps I hope the people in the film have the decency to make some political comments in their speeches because it will make Hollywood seem like a self indulgent circle jerk. I don't think that film could have been worse timed politically

bobbie solo
09-19-2019, 01:38 AM
Watched Moonlight again tonight. Still an absolutely soul crushing yet beautiful film. Stunning performances from all iterations of Chiron, Ali & the actress who plays Chiron's mom.