PDA

View Full Version : Bands you wish would call it a day

GulDukat
12-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Boston- Haven't done anything good in 30 years and without Brad Delp, it just isn't the same.

Skid Row- No Bach, no dice. They are essentially a tribute band featuring three original members.

Stone Temple Pilots- See above. They could prove us wrong, like AIC, but I am not very optimistic.

Aerosmith- Should have retired years ago.

Def Leppard. The band died with Steve Clark. Should have called it a day 25 years ago.

RATT- So there are two bands called RATT, one with 3/5 of the original lineup and one with just the drummer and a bunch of scabs. Good grief.

wizfan
12-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Kiss. At this point, they merely sell what they used to be, without caring about writing some new songs.

GulDukat
12-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Kiss. At this point, they merely sell what they used to be, without caring about writing some new songs.I totally get why people would name KISS, and Gene is a dick, etc. That said, when you go to a KISS show, you get your money's worth. I also enjoyed the last two KISS albums, nothing amazing, but enjoyable, stupid, rockin' albums. Ace's last few solo albums were great. Hopefully he will be back at some point.

onthewall2983
12-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Unless Steve Howe and Alan White can patch things up with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, I think Yes should call it a day. Chris Squire was a huge reason they had credibility even in this recent post-Anderson period, but his death has muted that to a degree. Even if there is a reunion of that sort, I think it should be for one last album and they can do separate things after.

fillow
12-08-2016, 12:11 PM
I wanted to say Ministry and Marilyn Manson, but they haven been real bands for quite some time now.

BRoswell
12-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I'll say it so no one else has to: Nine Inch Nails.

WorzelG
12-08-2016, 01:01 PM

I wouldn't have a problem if the name Nine Inch Nails was put to rest as long as Trent was still touring / performing as himself in some capacity and recording non soundtrack vocal music

henryeatscereal
12-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I agree on KISS, but we know that will never happen...

Also:

- Red Hot Chili Peppers: A band i used to love and used to be a "face" of the 90's and now sound washed up and uninspired.

- Scorpions: Got nothing against them, but calling quits and then reforming YET another time?, make up you mind already!

- Guns N Roses: Their best times are far behind, this "reunion" is a cash grab and i think they should be moving on...

- Ozzy: I know Black Sabbath is "ending" already, but i also think Ozzy has said everything he can, but that will never happen as long as Sharon is around managing...

- U2: See "RHCP"

GulDukat
12-08-2016, 01:19 PM
I agree on KISS, but we know that will never happen...

Also:

- Red Hot Chili Peppers: A band i used to love and used to be a "face" of the 90's and now sound washed up and uninspired.

- Scorpions: Got nothing against them, but calling quits and then reforming YET another time?, make up you mind already!

- Guns N Roses: Their best times are far behind, this "reunion" is a cash grab and i think they should be moving on...

- Ozzy: I know Black Sabbath is "ending" already, but i also think Ozzy has said everything he can, but that will never happen as long as Sharon is around managing...

- U2: See "RHCP" RE: Guns N' Roses. I never understood the term "cash crab." Are they supposed to tour for free? For every band, money has always been part of it. Yes, hopefully they love making music, but they're also in it it to making a living. And if Axl only cared about money, he would have cashed-in on a reunion tour years ago. I do hope for a new album, soon. As far as RHCP go, I would have agreed with you before hearing their new album, which I quite enjoyed.

Swykk
12-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Marilyn Manson-No one has declined worse in the last decade and a half. I do not understand the love for PE and he needs to stop touring and get help. I'd love Jeordie to keep making music.

Muse-Their best days appear to be behind them. BHAR was the last good album. They've been phoning it in for too long.

Louie_Cypher
12-08-2016, 01:46 PM
the still have steve howe. i saw them in 2012, they played 4albums and were fantastic,
-louie

henryeatscereal
12-08-2016, 01:55 PM
RE: Guns N' Roses. I never understood the term "cash crab." Are they supposed to tour for free? For every band, money has always been part of it. Yes, hopefully they love making music, but they're also in it it to making a living. And if Axl only cared about money, he would have cashed-in on a reunion tour years ago. I do hope for a new album, soon. As far as RHCP go, I would have agreed with you before hearing their new album, which I quite enjoyed.
"Cash- grab" means they are forcing this reunion: they got nothing new to say and making money is purely the goal of this tour (because the band has actually became a brand).
I get they are musicians and they need money "...but c'mon!" even the "Chinese Democracy" tour felt more sincere!

AXL and Slash don't even look at each other while playing and they play the same setlist every night, a band with their capacities should be challenging themselves, not playing that safe ...that's the definition of "Cash grab" for me.

GulDukat
12-08-2016, 02:24 PM
"Cash- grab" means they are forcing this reunion: they got nothing new to say and making money is purely the goal of this tour (because the band has actually became a brand).
I get they are musicians and they need money "...but c'mon!" even the "Chinese Democracy" tour felt more sincere!

AXL and Slash don't even look at each other while playing and they play the same setlist every night, a band with their capacities should be challenging themselves, not playing that safe ...that's the definition of "Cash grab" for me. They at least play three Chinese Democracy-era songs and Frank and Richard are still around, so this tour seems more like a continuation and evolution than a cash grab. Besides, how much is Axl worth? 150 million? What does he need with even more money? The whole thing never seemed forced, unlike say, Motley Crue, who only reunited because their label forced them to and stopped funding on what would have been their second album with John Corabi.

jmtd
12-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Muse-Their best days appear to be behind them. BHAR was the last good album. They've been phoning it in for too long.

BHAR sits right on the cusp for me, 50/50 good/bad. A bit like Ixnay On The Hombre, The Art Of Drowning or maybe Warning.

thevoid99
12-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I hate to say it but I wish New Order would call it a day. I just can't see the idea of the band w/o Peter Hook on bass. Same thing w/ Jane's Addiction as they're just now another band w/o Eric Avery.

Krazy
12-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Metallica. Should've stopped after Justice. Don't even want to hear how they "transitioned well into a hard rock band". Hetfield can't sing even though he tries too, they fucking suck going on nearly 30 years now. Rolling Stones can eat poo too.

Curious- lack of output or you think TR just hasn't put out any good material since [insert album here] ?

Also Tool if they aren't serious about putting out a new album, which is getting into the rediculous stage at this point.

BRoswell
12-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Curious- lack of output or you think TR just hasn't put out any good material since [insert album here] ?

Neither. I like pretty much everything he's put out in regards to Nine Inch Nails, but I think it's time to hang it up and focus on film scores and other projects. Nine Inch Nails just feels kind of limiting for him now. I know everyone seems to groan when he agrees to do another score, but I honestly love the work that he and Atticus have done in the past six years. I really think it's time for him to enter the Danny Elfman phase of his career, and I also would love to see him get involved with producing albums for other artists. I'm sure he could do some really good stuff while not necessarily being the center of attention.

eversonpoe
12-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Neither. I like pretty much everything he's put out in regards to Nine Inch Nails, but I think it's time to hang it up and focus on film scores and other projects. Nine Inch Nails just feels kind of limiting for him now. I know everyone seems to groan when he agrees to do another score, but I honestly love the work that he and Atticus have done in the past six years. I really think it's time for him to enter the Danny Elfman phase of his career, and I also would love to see him get involved with producing albums for other artists. I'm sure he could do some really good stuff while not necessarily being the center of attention.

:: high fucking five ::
<3 <3 <3

i'd say incubus. i'm still bitter that they put out an amazing, progressive, unique album (a crow left of the murder) and then put out the boring bullshit that was light grenades...and everything else that's come since then has also been boring. bleh.

WorzelG
12-08-2016, 10:50 PM

No one else really beats NIN live for me so the idea of no more shows to look forward to would be just depressing IMO. I'd understand your viewpoint more if NIN had limited the film score output

cahernandez
12-09-2016, 12:01 AM

I agree here...TR has only put out stuff that I like (and I did enjoy Hesitation Marks quite a bit), but I feel like NIN has run its course. He should pull a Dillinger Escape Plan and say "well, I'm going out at the top of my game". And focus on film scores and other collaborations.

WorzelG
12-09-2016, 01:12 AM
I agree here...TR has only put out stuff that I like (and I did enjoy Hesitation Marks quite a bit), but I feel like NIN has run its course. He should pull a Dillinger Escape Plan and say "well, I'm going out at the top of my game". And focus on film scores and other collaborations.
He did that in 2009 didn't he? And was compelled to come back, I think in one interview he said something like 'I feel most alive when I'm on stage'. I don't think he will ever want to stop performing, but it doesn't have to be as NIN

bobbie solo
12-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Death Grips. Might be the most annoying thing in music.

Weezer. Haven't made any good music in almost 20 years. And they don't play enough of the good music live to warrant sticking around just for that. Oh and fuck Rivers Cuomo.

Aren't their two Queensryches? If you over the hill assholes can't get along then none of you can tour on the material. Sit the fuck down.

Van Halen. This cash grab bullshit with DLR just wreaks to me.

M83 if they put out another abortion like Junk. So they're close but not there yet.

Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides & Suicide Silence. Scene bands that piss me off for one reason or another. Part. the first three that dress like complete rock stars like it's still 1987. It's as fake and see-through as it gets.

American Nightmare. I just dont buy that Wes is into it. Feel like he's doing it for the $ only b/c Cold Cave doesn't pay the bills.

Godsmack & really any other bro-push mosh radio rock/radio metal bands. That era is over and so should the music. STOP. PLEASE.

All those oldies groups that are lucky if they still have one actual member who is still alive: Harold Melvin's Blue Notes, Temptations, Blue Magic, etc.

Snoop. Hasn't had a good song in years. Puts zero effort into rap now.

WorzelG
12-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Snoop. Hasn't had a good song in years. Puts zero effort into rap now.
But he did Go4It with Corey Feldman (wonder if Kendrick Lamar was asked for that and actually turned it down)
https://youtu.be/5b-e5WpVi88

GulDukat
12-09-2016, 02:40 AM
Death Grips. Might be the most annoying thing in music.

Weezer. Haven't made any good music in almost 20 years. And they don't play enough of the good music live to warrant sticking around just for that. Oh and fuck Rivers Cuomo.

Aren't their two Queensryches? If you over the hill assholes can't get along then none of you can tour on the material. Sit the fuck down.

Van Halen. This cash grab bullshit with DLR just wreaks to me.

M83 if they put out another abortion like Junk. So they're close but not there yet.

Avenged Sevenfold, Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides & Suicide Silence. Scene bands that piss me off for one reason or another. Part. the first three that dress like complete rock stars like it's still 1987. It's as fake and see-through as it gets.

American Nightmare. I just dont buy that Wes is into it. Feel like he's doing it for the $ only b/c Cold Cave doesn't pay the bills.

Godsmack & really any other bro-push mosh radio rock/radio metal bands. That era is over and so should the music. STOP. PLEASE.

All those olides groups that are lucky if they steal have one actual member who is still alive: Harold Melvin's Blue Notes, Temptations, Blue Magic, etc.

Snoop. Hasn't had a good song in years. Puts zero effort into rap now.There were two different bands called Queensryche, but the Geoff Tate version lost the rights to the name. A few years ago I absolutely would have agreed that it was time for them to call it a day, as they hadn't released a good album in years, but their last two, with Todd La Tore on vocals, were quite good. As far as Van Halen goes, honestly, as much as I grew up loving their music, I probably won't see them again unless they have a new album to support. $150.00 for another greatest hits tour for the fifth time is a bit much.

jmtd
12-09-2016, 04:53 AM
I hate to say it but I wish New Order would call it a day. I just can't see the idea of the band w/o Peter Hook on bass

Hmm I disagree on this one but I respect your opinion nonetheless. I'd probably lean towards it if Music Complete hadn't been so strong. And call me greedy but it means we get a greatest hits show when New Order tour, and deep cuts when Hooky does. But I don't feel so strongly that the line-up has to be set in stone. This conveniently ignores Gillian's hiatus.

Dr Channard
12-09-2016, 05:47 AM
Anything and everything Nu metal. How Linkin Park got to be such a massive thing in the early 00’s was always baffling to me. It’s not that they’re not proficient at the music, but it’s more this feeling that in the 90’s they got the idea to combine what was hot in music at the time (rap, boy bands, and angst metal/rock) into one big soulless money press. And it worked all too well.

henryeatscereal
12-09-2016, 09:09 AM
They at least play three Chinese Democracy-era songs and Frank and Richard are still around, so this tour seems more like a continuation and evolution than a cash grab. Besides, how much is Axl worth? 150 million? What does he need with even more money? The whole thing never seemed forced, unlike say, Motley Crue, who only reunited because their label forced them to and stopped funding on what would have been their second album with John Corabi.
I saw them on this tour and to me the fact that they played "Chinese Democracy" songs was the only non predictable thing about the concert...

I don't know/care how much AXL is worth and it doesn't matter anyway, those guys have such an unrealistic lifestile that they can burn 1 million dollars in a day without breaking a sweat ...just look at Michael Jackson and how many debts he had ...money will never be enough to these guys.

I'm also not holding my breath for a new Gun's N Roses album ...and this is comig from someone who likes "The Spaghetti Incident?", i guess the only one that could "save" a new GnR album is Duff (Slash and AXL haven't done nothing remotely interesting in the last 10 years...) and even him looks bored...

Shadaloo
12-09-2016, 09:29 AM
KMFDM - Most of their last decade's output vs Pig's Gospel and tour proved that it's Sascha who needs them, not the other way around.

frankie teardrop
12-09-2016, 09:39 AM
already discussed but new order's continued existence as well as peter hook and the light's tours continue to be really embarrassing. new order were one of the worst live acts i've ever seen, and while i'm sure peter hook is the way to go, i can't bring myself to support any of it. i didn't really like the last record either, so there's that...