PDA

View Full Version : Healthy eating

Sutekh
11-10-2016, 05:37 PM
ziltoid

Didn't want to derail the other thread any further

So er... eating fruit and vegetables will not help maintain organ health, specifically renal and liver?

This is totally news to me... what foods help? Do fruit and vegetables do nothing to help or do they actually harm those organs?

ziltoid
11-10-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm a totally unhealthy bastard but a green smoothie would help kidney and liver function, your organs don't do anything by themselves, they need nutrients and a nutrient packed smoothie will assist that

First off, making a blanket statement with no factual basis is the wrong way to go about eating healthy.
Second, what is your definition of eating a green smoothie? Is it a kiwi smoothie? A lettuce smoothie? An apple juice smoothie with green food coloring? It makes no sense whatsoever.
How do you know the contents of the smoothie are nutrient dense (the actual term used for a healthy food, as opposed to energy dense which is harmful when eaten in large quantities) and how will it assist with giving your body all of the nutrients is needs?

So er... eating fruit and vegetables will not help maintain organ health, specifically renal and liver?
This is a begging the question fallacy. Nowhere did I state either sides of the argument to be true.
That is also a broad but incorrect statement.
While yes, in essence, eating fruits and vegetables is healthy it is not the only determining factor for a healthy diet.
For a complete and healthy diet it needs to be adequate, moderate, balanced and, varied.
It also need to met these 6 nutrients that are essential for health: Carbohydrates, Lipids (fats and oils), Proteins, Vitamins (both macro and micro), Minerals and, Water.

Do fruit and vegetables do nothing to help or do they actually harm those organs?
Moderation is key! Ingesting too much of any of the 6 nutrients I mentioned above is detrimental to one's health and can cause disease or exacerbate a preexisting condition, just as having too little can do the same. There are also other factors to consider such as age, gender, income, race, health, etc.

Sutekh
11-10-2016, 06:29 PM
You seem to know your onions here, this could be just what Im looking for!

You're absolutely right, a "green smoothie" could contain 349 kiwis which have an organ busting amount of sugar in totality

What I mean is the current fad formulation of GS which as I understand it is lettuce, Apple, celery, kale etc, in quantities within established guidelines. What I meant was, as part of an otherwise balanced diet, that would be good for you

I wouldn't mind having this as a general thread for this sort of thing, but I do have an ulterior motive here. My girlfriend is well into these books by someone called Kimberly Snyder... a lot of what she says is just simple eat your greens, lay off the doner kebab type stuff. But I swear it is laced with bullshit. I found a bit where she says mixing proteins and not eating leafy greens at the start of a meal in unhealthy. I'm pretty sure that is absolute horseshit, I may use this thread to steadily debunk any nonsense she puts out there

ziltoid
11-10-2016, 06:57 PM
What I mean is the current fad formulation of GS
I have no idea what this is. Can you clarify?

Eating leafy greens (kale lettuce etc.) is good for assisting in digestion of complex carbohydrates as well as the break down of fats. As an example: eating a salad with a steak will slow down the intake and help the breakdown of saturated fats. This is because of the process in which lipids are broken down in the human body. Leafy greens slows down the digestion process, the time lapse allows Bile to break down lipids (this is time consuming and complex) this is known as Lipolysis (lipo= lipids lysis= to break down) Breakdown of triglycerides to glycerol and free fatty acids.

...is well into these books by someone called Kimberly Snyder...
It's always fine to be skeptical and not believe everything everyone says wholeheartedly. One thing you must know if anything is that, with everything else, new information and scientific studies and discoveries are happening every day. Now the foundations of the information and theories we have usually don't change much but, our understanding, especially with the human anatomy, physiology, nutrition, psychopathology etc, does change frequently. For instance, people didn't know that there are several types of Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1, Type 2, Gestational (Pregnancy induced) and Type 3 (which is still somewhat undefined and not much is known), but we do know many risk factors, sign and symptoms and how to treat each of these listed. In essence, what was true today may not be true tomorrow.

henryeatscereal
11-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Thanks for this thread, i'm always worried about this particular topic.

My sister is a nutriologist, i know it doesn't make me an expert, so i'll just repeat what i heard:

- Balance is the key, you don't need "too much" meat, fruits or fiber, you have to mix to make your diet function.

- There's no "perfect diet" because every person has different needs for their body systems to work (age and gender also play a role in this).

- There are "healty products" that actually aren't and "harmful products" you need but in small doses.

- Best thing is to go to a nutriologist to find out what are you lacking or exceeding.

As i said, i'm no expert, this is only my understanding on the main ideas for "healty eating"

onthewall2983
10-24-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm all about juicing. Getting down vegetables I could barely stand to have in my mouth otherwise. It's a bit liberating. I got a Nutribullet back in 2012, and have been using it and the replacement for basically all of my fruits and veggies.