PDA

View Full Version : Before the Flood (2016)

Pages : [1] 2 3

SchwarzerAbt
09-09-2016, 03:04 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/68150-trent-reznor-and-mogwai-score-leonardo-dicaprio-climate-change-film-before-the-flood/

Trent Reznor, Mogwai, Leonardo Di Caprio & Climate Change related stuff in one movie? Awesome! 😃

somewhat_
09-09-2016, 03:11 PM
The most interesting thing about this is the collaboration with Mogwai. This type of thing was never a TR strong suit in the past (i.e. Tapeworm).

SchwarzerAbt
09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
I finally downloaded Juno today and was just listening to the Gone Girl soundtrack when the Twitter alert came in. Setting the right mood is everything! ☺

I'm also very curious regarding the collaboration, of course. I always wanted to check out Mogwai and I am glad TR&AR are trying out new things.

The movie premiered today and the soundtrack will be released in October? What a nice surprise!

implanted_microchip
09-09-2016, 03:36 PM
I am really looking forward to the sound of him collaborating outside of the usual suspects he's brushed shoulders with for so long. I've always felt Trent's at his best when he's being pushed into new spaces creatively, and hopefully just having completely different people working with him here will have a really positive impact. I definitely know I'm a lot more excited than I would be if it was another straight TR&AR score (as much as I enjoy them, I just want to hear something a bit more surprising again).

Also as someone who harps on climate change a lot it makes me really happy seeing him working on a project like this. Year Zero was my major "in" for NIN so I've got a real soft-spot for activist Trent.

SchwarzerAbt
09-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Here is a little bit more information about the movie: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/before-the-flood-leonardo-dicaprio-clip-poster

Apparently it is a TV production that will have a limited run in cinemas.

Edit: Actually you can hear a glimpse of the score in the clip they have on that site! It sounds vaguely familiar... Like Trent and Atticus signature sound. ��

gorast
09-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Oooooh, this is interesting. I like when big projects get sprung on us with no warning.

I'm interested in watching the documentary, too. Looks good.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Soooooo hype for this! :eek:

WorzelG
09-10-2016, 02:44 AM
There's a whole lot of climate change denying going on on the NIN Facebook page comments!

SchwarzerAbt
09-10-2016, 04:59 AM
There's a whole lot of climate change denying going on on the NIN Facebook page comments!

That's just so tiring about the internet. Come on people, there is so much proof! But one cold winter in one country and everybody there will claim how it all is just a big lie... 😞

On another note, I'm curious if the soundtrack will get its own artwork again. I think the concept of the movie poster is a good idea, but it looks just so fake and full of photo shop. I hope that the album cover will be a bit more subtle.

eversonpoe
09-10-2016, 09:14 AM
i can not even describe how excited i am for this. mogwai has been one of my favorite bands for about 15 years and their work with clint mansell & kronos quartet on the fountain is absolutely incredible. oh, man...

botley
09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah, this gon' be dope

onthewall2983
09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Gustavo Santaolalla is also involved in this. He composed the scores for such films as Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain and more recently Netflix's Making a Murderer.

This is probably his best known piece, used in Michael Mann's The Insider and the first episode of HBO's Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfusxHokCDg

Prettybrokenspiral
09-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Gustavo Santaolalla is also involved in this. He composed the scores for such films as Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain and more recently Netflix's Making a Murderer.

This is probably his best known piece, used in Michael Mann's The Insider and the first episode of HBO's Deadwood.

Santaolalla is an absolute genius, yes. Love love LOVE his work in Amores Perros, 21 Grams and Deadwood. Those are two of my favorite modern day movies and one of my favorite television shows of all time, no question.

I guess the big question now is...are we still going to see (hear) new NIN before year's end like Trent assured we would? If this comes out in October, that only leaves November and December for an NIN announcement.

Granted, this is also the same dude who announced the full-scale return of NIN on the eve of Welcome Oblivion, so I'm still hopeful..

thevoid99
09-11-2016, 06:54 PM
I can't believe no one here has made any of mention of Santaolalla's most famous score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrK8QtCq9dM

BRoswell
09-11-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a big fan of Mogwai, and they've always been fairly high on the list of people I've wanted Trent to work with. I'm not as familiar with Santaolalla's work, but I will work to rectify this in the next couple months.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-12-2016, 02:06 AM
I'm pretty excited about this. I'm a big fan of Mogwai, and they've always been fairly high on the list of people I've wanted Trent to work with. I'm not as familiar with Santaolalla's work, but I will work to rectify this in the next couple months.

If nothing else, watch Amores Perros and 21 Grams if you haven't already. You'll never be the same again after seeing them..

Ryan
09-12-2016, 03:09 AM
Looking forward to this too, but want new NIN.

SchwarzerAbt
09-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Here is a first review of the movie. Not too favourable, but not all bad. No mention of the score though.

http://povmagazine.com/articles/view/tiff-review-before-the-flood

botley
09-16-2016, 12:40 PM
I saw it this morning. Very compelling if you don't mind a bit of self-indulgence from DiCaprio, and of course the music is amazing. Mogwai did the guitar riff-based stuff I guess? Droney creepy pulsing from TR+AR, as you'd expect.

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I just need a minute to breathe" is repeated, mantra-like, at the end.

buckaroo
09-16-2016, 01:15 PM
I saw it this morning. Very compelling if you don't mind a bit of self-indulgence from DiCaprio, and of course the music is amazing. Mogwai did the guitar riff-based stuff I guess? Droney creepy pulsing from TR+AR, as you'd expect.

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I need a second to breathe" is repeated mantra-like at the end.

Did it specifically say nine inch nails anywhere? I'm curious if this is specific to this documentary or related to an upcoming album.

WorzelG
09-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Trying not to get my hopes up that we may get a Trent and a piano tour at some pointime soon!

botley
09-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Did it specifically say nine inch nails anywhere? I'm curious if this is specific to this documentary or related to an upcoming album.
No, no NIN mention and it sounded nothing like NIN; probably the first ever original vocal composition released under TR's own name.

wizfan
09-16-2016, 07:12 PM
mantra-like

And, suddenly, "Mantra" comes to mind, which was a song for a... wait for it... documentary film... which featured... wait again... Trent on piano. :)

vincenzomilione
09-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice

I could see Trent dropping the NIN, which is practically simply a stage name, and releasing music just as TR. NIN has too many standards attached to it, and Trent could be tired of trying to please fans.

botley
09-16-2016, 08:56 PM
And, suddenly, "Mantra" comes to mind, which was a song for a... wait for it... documentary film... which featured... wait again... Trent on piano. :)
Oh, snap! And that's also a vocal composition, credited to his given name; guess I forgot about it. Haha! This one is nowhere near as rockin' (more like a ballad-y version of 'We Fade Away' by HTDA) but I liked it. Come at me billpulsipher

SM Rollinger
09-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Are these new "songs" going to get any kind of a release?

SM Rollinger
09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
nice ill probably just wait till to check them out as I have no interest in really watching this film

Ryan
09-18-2016, 03:37 AM

But then TR sings a song over the end credits. Brand new composition, mostly very intimate sounding solo voice (with a few delay effects) and treated piano. Sombre-sounding but with some hopefulness, lots of his usual lyrical phrases yet somehow feels more intimate in delivery than you'd expect from him as NIN. No mention of its title in the credits, but the phrase "I just need a minute to breathe" is repeated, mantra-like, at the end.

I just need a minute to breathe. Nice line.

sweeterthan
09-18-2016, 05:32 PM
I just want to hear it. It's torture knowing it's out there but there's no way for me to hear it currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cashpiles (closed)
09-18-2016, 11:38 PM
I just want to hear it. It's torture knowing it's out there but there's no way for me to hear it currently.

There is a way.. and it's pretty damn good. PM me.

Ryan
09-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Colour me intrigued.

buckaroo
09-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Should a thread be opened in the Nine Inch Nails discussion? It seems so weird that someone announces they heard a new NIN/Trent Reznor song and nobody is talking about it.

sweeterthan
09-20-2016, 12:36 PM
From what I understand, it's not a nine inch nails song. He sings on it as Trent Reznor. No one is talking about it because no one's heard it except Botley.

buckaroo
09-20-2016, 12:51 PM
From what I understand, it's not a nine inch nails song. He sings on it as Trent Reznor. No one is talking about it because no one's heard it except Botley.

Nobody has heard the new nin supposedly coming out this year or "dive and slam", but people sure talked about that a lot. I just find it odd that when we have confirmation of something new it's crickets, but there are conversations about single ambiguous tweets that go on for pages. Just saying.

botley
09-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Well, I'm not the ONLY one, as there were a handful of public screenings at TIFF — but I doubt there were lots of other NIN fans checking it out because little (if any) festival publicity promoted that TR&AR had scored it.

I'll just reiterate that I didn't notice any title or artist listed for the song specifically, just Reznor and Ross' names in the credits.

WorzelG
09-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Nobody has heard the new nin supposedly coming out this year or "dive and slam", but people sure talked about that a lot. I just find it odd that when we have confirmation of something new it's crickets, but there are conversations about single ambiguous tweets that go on for pages. Just saying.
To be honest, I don't want to talk about it as I don't want to jinx anything. I'm just patiently waiting to hear it

SchwarzerAbt
09-21-2016, 10:11 AM
To be honest, I don't want to talk about it as I don't want to jinx anything. I'm just patiently waiting to hear it

In the NIN discussion there'd just be people complaining how they'd prefer new NIN. But only groundbreaking stuff that should be really angry. I like it in here. It's quiet, but there isn't as much negativity involved. ☺

xfocalinx
09-22-2016, 02:30 PM
hope the film is showing in my area!

Sequenteon
09-22-2016, 03:23 PM
I'd be willing to bet this is a new NIN track. Even though it's been said the delivery is more intimate than what one might expect from NIN, with both the fact that Trent has said there will be new NIN in 2016 and the fact that he lets NIN evolve and pushes it forward, I think there is a very good chance this could even be a track from the next album that felt appropriate for the tone of the film.

botley
09-23-2016, 04:07 PM
I'll bet you twenty bucks it's not.

SchwarzerAbt
09-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Shouldn't they start taking pre orders on amazon now if the album will come out in October? I'd appreciate some more details. 😃

snaapz
09-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm not the ONLY one, as there were a handful of public screenings at TIFF — but I doubt there were lots of other NIN fans checking it out because little (if any) festival publicity promoted that TR&AR had scored it.

I'll just reiterate that I didn't notice any title or artist listed for the song specifically, just Reznor and Ross' names in the credits.

I can vouch that people who live in Toronto, and surrounding areas, only listen to Drake, Bieber and The Weeknd. No locals at TIFF cared about Reznor.

buckaroo
09-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Is this movie currently being screened or is the next time it will be shown is October 21st?

SarahConnor
09-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Damn, discovering Santaolallo wrote *that* title theme is really scrumptious icing on a fucking good cake, comrades. The sound he gets out of those strings is skeletal and kinda skin-tingling. Fuck yeah. Mogwai are a perennial favorite, favorite band. Pal opened for them once and one Mogwai stayed out with us after the pubs and we went to Club Neo. No one was there, except for this old-school looking rivethead who guarded the dancefloor like an alpha goat. Another old pal, whose formative Goth of the Dead Can Dance/Cure variety, was delicately making way towards a girl that I could tell he thought was pretty, and Alpha Goat backed him down pretty good. He danced away like in a fluttery motion. Mogwai stayed at the bar chatting with the music pal. Great fucking show and night. Looking forward to this LP intently.

buckaroo
09-27-2016, 08:33 PM
New trailer:

https://youtu.be/D9xFFyUOpXo

WorzelG
10-04-2016, 08:38 AM
On a long train journey to London listening to the Gone Girl score, now I've got excited about this Before the Flood score, hope we get some details soon

snaapz
10-05-2016, 09:20 AM
With NIN/TR/HTDA and all of the references to the ocean, la mer, sinking, swimming, ice ages... I'd almost believe 'Before the flood' would be the new NIN album name.

Harry Seaward
10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLO4eQvjXMM/

Lyrics!

blassster
10-06-2016, 02:20 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLO4eQvjXMM/

Lyrics!
Lyrics = care about it significantly more now. Was going to pick it up of course, but before I wasn't greatly excited (mostly because I don't care about the movie, and I just fucking want new NIN and TF:DE). Just hope it's not only this one track with vocals.

Also, funny how he presented it with NOT NEW NIN at the beginning of the description.

botley
10-06-2016, 02:38 PM
I'd be willing to bet this is a new NIN track.
Cough it up!

WorzelG
10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
I really like this and despite the subject matter and sombreness it has really lifted my spirits

PhoenixML
10-06-2016, 03:01 PM
The full soundtrack will be out soon and is a collaboration between us, Gustavo Santaolalla and Mogwai. - TR

SOON!!! HE SAID "SOON"!!! Artists should never be allowed to say the word "soon" ever.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Can't wait to hear this shizz. I've grown to love his film score stuff just as much on a personal level as I have NIN/HTDA

Even if it's just a snippet at this point, Moment to Breathe sounds like it would fit beautifully on just about any NIN album he's done..

Sequenteon
10-06-2016, 03:11 PM
I'll bet you twenty bucks it's not.

Guess I owe you 20.

botley
10-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Buy me a soundtrack CD? (-:

fortheloveofgod
10-06-2016, 03:47 PM
We have vocals. Fucking vocals!!
http://pitchfork.com/news/68817-trent-reznor-teases-new-music-from-leonardo-dicaprio-climate-change-film-listen/

Substance242
10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
This is beautiful! And only after posting on Facebook I noticed how long the excerpt is... 59 seconds. :-) (as in "a 59 seconds to breathe" you see)

Avarik
10-06-2016, 04:03 PM
1080 on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial/videos/10154447756916221/

niggo
10-06-2016, 04:52 PM
That is awesome.

fillow
10-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Well, that sounds pretty indistinguishable from Dragon Tattoo / Gone Girl (sans vocals)

niggo
10-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Well, that sounds pretty indistinguishable from Dragon Tattoo / Gone Girl (sans vocals)

U serious? It sure sounds a lot like TRAR, but definitely not like Dragon Tattoo or Gone Girl.

cashpiles (closed)
10-06-2016, 06:50 PM
oouuu ouuuu ouuuuuuuuuu.... oooouuuu ouuuuu ouuuuuuuuu.... I just need....a minute to breathe.......

buckaroo
10-06-2016, 06:50 PM
So, does this mean the track is being released tomorrow?

botley
10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
So, does this mean the track is being released tomorrow?
It'll be on the soundtrack, which is coming 'soon' (likely before the film's wider release). There's been no indication yet of a separate release for this song as a single, digital or otherwise.

implanted_microchip
10-06-2016, 11:00 PM
This sounds great. A lot more excited for this release.

I guess this is Before the Flood's equivalent to Is Your Love Strong Enough, right? ie., one song with vocals at the end of an otherwise instrumental affair. Looking forward to hearing the full thing, it sounds wonderful.

simonn
10-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Wow, I love this. That 1080p on the NIN facebook page is pretty awesome to look at and listen to. Who knew the destruction of a planet could look so great....

MAD
10-07-2016, 04:28 AM
Sounds great. I got the goosebumps.
It has those elements from TGWTDT and Gone Girl but I think that's normal. Even so, it doesn't sounds like either.

I think this could stand for itself and I'm sure the soundtrack will be great. I'm curious how much from the Year Zero Trent Reznor will we get and how much from the daddy Trent Reznor. I believe both influences may play a very nice role in this. I'm not saying that it will sound like YZ but the idea of a fucked up planet isn't new in the Niniverse.

I am definitely interested in the movie and the score.

Ryan
10-07-2016, 06:26 AM
This sounds great. A lot more excited for this release.

I guess this is Before the Flood's equivalent to Is Your Love Strong Enough, right? ie., one song with vocals at the end of an otherwise instrumental affair. Looking forward to hearing the full thing, it sounds wonderful.

Clever boy! <3

fillow
10-07-2016, 07:58 AM
U serious? It sure sounds a lot like TRAR, but definitely not like Dragon Tattoo or Gone Girl.
C'mon now.
These glockenspiel notes instantly remind of Dragon Tattoo score (What if We Could, Hidden in Snow etc).
The synth/bass/strings humming underneath is sonically very similar to some other tracks (don't even see the point of listing them, there are too many).

I don't mean any of this in any negative way, quite the opposite.
I also don't mean TRAR tracks all sound the same to me, they don't. I can instantly tell which score is on and even guess the title without looking with 90% accuracy (yes I don't know them all by heart, shame on me).
But if you try to deny the similarity, you're just wrong.

Also, if definitely not like DT or GG then... what? The Social Network? HTDA?

arsenic
10-07-2016, 09:24 AM
https://bandstores-completelyindepe.netdna-ssl.com/prodimages/NIN_1200X1200_medium.png

Tracklisting
01. Before The Flood (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross + Gustavo Santaolalla)
02. A Minute to Breathe (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
03. Between Two Poles (Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
04. Dust Bowl (Mogwai)
05. Thin Ice (Gustavo Santaolalla)
06. And When the Sky Was Opened (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
07. Ghost Nets (Mogwai)
08. Trembling (Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
09. One More Step (Gustavo Santaolalla)
10. Huaynaputina (Mogwai)
11. At Dusk (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross + Gustavo Santaolalla)
12. Thin Ice Reimagined (Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
13. Disappearing Act (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
14. The Melting Pot (Gustavo Santaolalla)
15. 8 Billion (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
16. One Perfect Moment (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
17. A Minute Later (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
18. After The Flood (Mogwai)

preorders for the vinyl version

US
https://store.nin.com/products/before-the-flood-vinyl

UK/Europe
https://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/nin/products.php?cat=4974

Preorders include A Minute to Breathe, the full digital download will be delivered on October 21st.

Na na na na na na.

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
preorders for the vinyl version

US
https://store.nin.com/products/before-the-flood-vinyl

UK/Europe
https://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/nin/products.php?cat=4974

Preorders include A Minute to Breathe, the full digital download will be delivered on October 21st.

Na na na na na na.

Was this announced somewhere or did someone just stumble across this? Just curious since there is no digital only option and I would have expected that.

arsenic
10-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Was this announced somewhere or did someone just stumble across this? Just curious since there is no digital only option and I would have expected that.

I found a link on reddit, then I checked on nin.com and preorders are visible on the two separate stores (US and UK/Europe) so this is definitely not a leak and it will probably be announced very soon. Maybe they'll wait until the 21st for the digital downloads?

witte
10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
ordered the vinyl (uk store), thanks for the link.
downloaded the song.
great song, surprising singer arrangement.
but...a lot of the same.
but overall great!

sweeterthan
10-07-2016, 10:13 AM
For some reason, I thought Mogwai and Trent would be working together on the music but this track list shows that's not true.

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 10:16 AM
For some reason, I thought Mogwai and Trent would be working together on the music but this track list shows that's not true.

Where do you see that? I only see the titles.

Lerxto
10-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Ordered my vinyl, from the US store, with the 24/48 WAV download option.
3xLP means it could be longer than the Gone Girl soundtrack, right?

SchwarzerAbt
No mention of a CD version yet. I hope it's still coming... Cause I'm not spending 40 £ on something I can't use. But I also hate spending money for digital only files.

As bad as it is, I'm still stuck with CDs somehow... :(

sweeterthan
Where do you see that? I only see the titles.
arsenic posts has the artist names next to the track names

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4232-Before-the-Flood?p=318843#post318843

sweeterthan
10-07-2016, 10:24 AM
downloaded the song.
but...a lot of the same.
but overall great!

So the only way to hear the song right now is to pre order the vinyl?

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 10:29 AM
@arsenic (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=421) posts has the artist names next to the track names

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4232-Before-the-Flood?p=318843#post318843

Wow. I must be blind. I did not see that at all before. That is pretty disappointing. I was REALLY looking forward to a collaboration between them.

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 10:33 AM
So the only way to hear the song right now is to pre order the vinyl?

Yeah it would be really nice to check it out before spending that much on the vinyl...

Lerxto
10-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Yeah it would be really nice to check it out before spending that much on the vinyl...
What you've heard in the video pretty much sums it up. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, you might want to wait on it.

slave2thewage
10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
I'll probably order the vinyl soon - I have a vacation next week and can't afford to spend the money right now - but lame at using Firebrand for UK/Europe. They always seem to mess up orders.

Hearing "A Minute to Breathe" would be great, though. Cough.

halo33
10-07-2016, 10:43 AM
A Minute To Breathe is a nice sister song to The Day The World Went Away.

Henrie_Schnee
10-07-2016, 10:46 AM
...and the video looks like the love-child of Koyaanisqatsi and a M.I.A.-clip <3

Swykk
10-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Vinyl only? That's bullshit.

Harry Seaward
10-07-2016, 11:27 AM
https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/784429707605389312

Full version of "A Minute To Breathe." (!)

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 11:44 AM
I thought the song was just....okay....until the last two minutes popped in after the unexpected "na na na's" that everyone has been mentioning. Really dug that. Lyrically and structure wise it reminds me a lot of Lights in the Sky.

Overall, the track isn't anything remarkable but is worth checking out if anything for how the song ends...it's crazy how much Trent doing a refrain can instantly take you back to the Fragile era.

eversonpoe
10-07-2016, 11:45 AM

yeah, i'm pretty bummed about that. i thought there was actually going to be collaboration, rather than just shared album space. oh well. :(

also, mogwai's official site still hasn't been updated to indicate anything about their involvement with the score, which is weird.

Sequenteon
10-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Incredible song.

BRoswell
10-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Man, I'm digging the hell out of that track.

WorzelG
10-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Vinyl only? That's bullshit.
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about no CD, I didn't bother with the CD for gone girl, just bought the FLACs but I regretted it when my laptop broke

BRoswell
10-07-2016, 12:06 PM
As long as there's a lossless download option, I'm good. I can always burn off my own CD.

Toadflax
10-07-2016, 12:26 PM
I agree with the Lights In The Sky comparison. The last two minutes bleed into Fragile / Still territory, which doesn't suck. :)

Based on this, what are your guesses about how many of the tracks will have lyrics?

ninlive
10-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Beautiful track... Seriously. I have chills listening to it. Trent and Atticus always on top of their game. I can't wait for more from these guys and NIN!!!!!

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I agree with the Lights In The Sky comparison. The last two minutes bleed into Fragile / Still territory, which doesn't suck. :)

Based on this, what are your guesses about how many of the tracks will have lyrics?

My guess is that this will probably be the only track to feature lyrics. Kind of like how in the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack, there was the single HTDA song.

Leviathant
10-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Arrrrgh pre-ordered. For no good reason, I went into this with lowered expectations, but came out really liking what I heard, so I busted out the credit card. If I change my mind, I can always wait a year and sell the vinyl for 4x what it's worth apparently. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing, even though there was no direct Mogwai cross-pollination with Trent and Atticus and Gustavo.

ninlive
10-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Arrrrgh pre-ordered. For no good reason, I went into this with lowered expectations, but came out really liking what I heard, so I busted out the credit card. If I change my mind, I can always wait a year and sell the vinyl for 4x what it's worth apparently. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing, even though there was no direct Mogwai cross-pollination with Trent and Atticus and Gustavo.

LMAO. Same.

otnavuskire
10-07-2016, 12:40 PM

I'm not convinced the huge inflation will happen with this one. Gone Girl vinyl is still available for $20 on amazon. Far cheaper if you're willing to buy used, too.

niggo
10-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I only collcet CDs, no vinyls. Can someone send me a download link to the full track pretty please? :)

GavinCollins420
10-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Can I acquire this anywhere thay doesn't involve pre-ordering the vinyl or signing up for Apple music?

Getting real tired of this platform exclusivity thing.

EDIT: the track, I mean.

ultimatebdp
10-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Great song!! Sucks that there's no cd option because I'm not buying a soundtrack on vinyl. NIN vinyl, YES. Soundtrack vinyl, no.

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Can I acquire this anywhere thay doesn't involve pre-ordering the vinyl or signing up for Apple music?

You can listen to the track streaming via Trent's link on his Twitter. As far as getting an actual rip/MP3, not sure that's out there yet.

Toadflax
10-07-2016, 12:49 PM
My guess is that this will probably be the only track to feature lyrics. Kind of like how in the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtrack, there was the single HTDA song.

I would agree if it were the first or last track, but the fact that it's the second track makes me wonder. #overthinking

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I would agree if it were the first or last track, but the fact that it's the second track makes me wonder. #overthinking

Having the second to last track called "a minute later" also leaves me to wonder if it will have vocals as well.

niggo
10-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Alright.

I'd be fine with that song being the new Hurt on the next tour. I know, it's NOT NINE INCH NAILS, but anyway. It's just really, really awesome.

thelastdisciple
10-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Nit pick: Not digging the nah-nahs.

Also is it just me or is TR's vocals reeeeeeally shaky on this one, like more than usual? I think it's a beautiful song but i just couldn't help but notice. Not trying to start anything with a dissenting opinion, sometimes that raw emotion thing works and other times it doesn't.. it just really stood out on this one.

buckaroo
10-07-2016, 01:13 PM

Also is it just me or is TR's vocals reeeeeeally shaky on this one, like more than usual? I think it's a beautiful song but i just couldn't help but notice. Not trying to start anything with a dissenting opinion, sometimes that raw emotion thing works and other times it doesn't.. it just really stood out on this one.

It is noticeable. I think it works though. First listen I really got a Radiohead vibe from it (edit: I mean in terms of the vocal delivery).

arsenic
10-07-2016, 01:14 PM
in case you don't know, Reuben Wu is one of the guys who made the video (also member of Ladytron). He is an excellent photographer and I strongly suggest you to check out his website or instagram (https://www.instagram.com/itsreuben/). This video (https://www.instagram.com/p/nWx5Xxysiy/) might look a bit familiar ; ) when I saw yesterday's preview on instagram I immediately knew he was involved haha.

Substance242
10-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Me, I like. And yes, voice is shaky.

Also, I did not expect Linux command-line utility "youtube-dl" to extract also iTunes video, so then it was just "avconv" from m4v to wav and voila, here is an mp3 for my small player. :-) Don't think it would be OK to post here though... maybe PM if interested. (update: also FLAC is included, but original was of course MP4A so it's not really lossless, just exactly as in the video, and mp3 is lame --preset extreme)

GavinCollins420
10-07-2016, 01:25 PM
I'll take it!

kdrcraig
10-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Yeah that part sounds a bit off. Cool song though, pre-ordered the vinyl but really wish it didn't come to 55 bucks after shipping. That's crazy

simonn
10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Just came along to add my love for the song. Defo heard LITS and (obviously) TDTWWA in there. I also didn't end up buying the GG CD, and I still play the shit out of those songs, so no CD isn't a deal breaker for me. Be nice to have the option though. Song is already up on Youtube, but only at 480.

Leo_OAK
10-07-2016, 01:30 PM
oh shit. I just posted the link for the song over the NIN thread. And THEN found this place. Am I in trouble?

ninjaw
10-07-2016, 01:34 PM
wait ... what the heck is that new youtube channel ? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNSezPo-SF7XLiQnMxuIvQ

Prettybrokenspiral
10-07-2016, 01:52 PM
Two weeks!

Not dumb enough to fall for ordering a vinyl album straight from camp NIN again; I learned my lesson the hard way in the past. This will no doubt be available for a much more modest price through Amazon marketplace upon the release date. Regardless, I'll buy this in a heartbeat when it comes out

ninjaw
10-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Damn, both hidownload and replay media catcher cannot rip it
Edit : lol, it's just plain mp4 : click here (http://aodp.itunes.apple.com/apple-assets-us-std-000001/FuseSocial71/v4/c2/14/fd/c214fd65-3565-efae-64a4-dc50faf7772b/mzvf_4344053958519102590.720w.h264lc.U.f.m4v?acces sKey=1478458477_5447924468638872673_pBms3hBsyf7Q2v oU8F4O8Zqp4Pb66nT7hd37%2FlqQFGBu76vMwszkvpjf7iNr4a maoWsvNNJ6nI3zOl4uQAALGkIfzW7rBmtrKVFo2A84aNsMvKa3 neM3PszJoekb7ygmINF%2FRzDrTDnp%2FTnpAILQiOSJ78etDP FKUnJvk%2Ftkztu64nW8Sy9gxHBdLnB46ByOtNX2Gvelz4192m pihsZ7O71nthOAxBDOSD6YdEXTOC4%3D)

Microwave Jellyfish
10-07-2016, 01:57 PM
A Minute To Breathe is a nice sister song to The Day The World Went Away.
Nah-nahs aside are you thinking what I'm thinking about the red background on the first frame of both (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/trent-reznor-previews-before-the-flood-soundtrack-with-a-minute-to-breathe-watch/) videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHB-bCZQQ3o)?

Lyrics made me feel like we're listening to the director's cut ending of Year Zero.

Nice song. Like the nah-nahs. Would've preferred a longer outro, but oh well. Excited for the full OST.

halo33
10-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Nah-nahs aside are you thinking what I'm thinking about the red background on the first frame of both (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/trent-reznor-previews-before-the-flood-soundtrack-with-a-minute-to-breathe-watch/) videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHB-bCZQQ3o)?

Throw on some chugging guitars and it could've basically been a reprise.

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Throw on some chugging guitars and it could've basically been a reprise.

No matter how many times I listen to TDTWWA when the chugging guitars come in towards the end of the song, it always catches me by surprise and makes me jump.

Microwave Jellyfish
10-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Reptile intro keyboards starting at 3:20?

niggo
10-07-2016, 02:20 PM
I like the nah-nah-nahs. They seem a bit off, but I think the whole song sounds kind of off and that they did obviously on purpose. I'm not great in music theory but I believe there are some funny things going on regarding different time structures. To me all of that support the fragile nature of the vocals and more importantly the whole song itself. It seems like everything is breaking down and there is this really peaceful cry for help. I dig it a lot.

neorev
10-07-2016, 03:10 PM
I'd like to purchase the 24 bit lossless separately.
Hopefully more options are made available.

neorev
10-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Agreed, buddy

sheepdean
10-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Someone tag me once it pops onto Amazon, because I ain't paying £40+ postage

Fancy tunes though

Reznor2112
10-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Digital version is available for pre-order on iTunes without an Apple Music account.

On a side note, I am having Social Network anxiety. I waited too long and never got it on vinyl...want to wait and see if Amazon sells this one...but scared lol.

sheepdean
10-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Digital version is available for pre-order on iTunes without an Apple Music account.

On a side note, I am having Social Network anxiety. I waited too long and never got it on vinyl...want to wait and see if Amazon sells this one...but scared lol.
I know the feel, I want the wax but I'd rather get it through a service that doesn't charge me postage and doesn't risk a customs charge

Reznor2112
10-07-2016, 03:59 PM
A Minute To Breathe (Hesitation Marks hidden track)

LOTS of elements from Find My Way on this one. Not a bad thing though.

blassster
10-07-2016, 04:04 PM
LP preorder is up on nin store. $45. Shipping to Canada is fucking $40 on top of that.

https://store.nin.com/products/before-the-flood-vinyl?variant=27234873793

Edit: and that's in USD!

botley
10-07-2016, 04:06 PM
LP preorder is up on nin store. $45. Shipping to Canada is fucking $40 on top of that.

https://store.nin.com/products/before-the-flood-vinyl?variant=27234873793
Nope nope nope. Waiting for CD...

cashpiles (closed)
10-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Lyrics simple..... song and melody/singing are good.... although kind of boring after 2:20 (when the full progression finishes it's first loop) ..but so awesome when the na na nas change up comes in until end.... wish the song had more variation/change ups.....I think the introduction of guitar or drums after 2:20 would have really added to it. but I didn't write it so...

I think song length could have been cut in half..while still retaining awesome change up at end.

overall good song... could have been edited down big time though...and more variations/instruments introduced as song progressed.... na na na na finisher to end is awesome.

billpulsipher
10-07-2016, 04:32 PM
wish TR would DROP the high pitch singing voice by now...

BRoswell
10-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Lyrics simple.....

So are 99% of the lyrics he's written for other songs. :p

thefragile_jake
10-07-2016, 04:52 PM

I'm indifferent to it. There are moments I'm okay with it as I would much prefer that to how much deeper his voice sounds on Year Zero.

thevoid99
10-07-2016, 05:36 PM
I like the music though the lyrics aren't that great as I think it's too simple for my taste. I'll get it out of loyalty but I just find it lacking in something. If this is the idea of Trent solo.... I don't know.

tony.parente
10-07-2016, 05:42 PM
I kind of like it to be honest.

joplinpicasso
10-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Classy, compelling song. Simple and effective and beautiful.

gorast
10-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Hope nin.com eventually provides digital and CD versions. Digital at the very least.

This track is pretty nice, and I think it's a good change of pace from the previous soundtracks. Doesn't feel quite as sinister instrumentally.

gorast
10-07-2016, 06:38 PM
wait ... what the heck is that new youtube channel ? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNSezPo-SF7XLiQnMxuIvQ

Sometimes it feels like new NIN-related YouTube channels are made to be attached to random releases and then immediately abandoned. Did he lose the password to Nullco (https://www.youtube.com/user/nullco) or something?

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-07-2016, 07:14 PM
"IIIIII.....don't wanna sayyyy good baaaaaa-na-na-na-na-na...."

Fuck. I can't unhear it. 🍌

Lerxto
10-07-2016, 07:33 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/before-flood-music-from-motion/id1162988948?app=itunes

iTunes preorder link. 96min 32sec.

Shnoorum
10-07-2016, 08:19 PM
The new track is alright. Can't imagine this is gonna be a popular opinion but I'm not keen on the vocals. Especially the na-na's

Arcspiral
10-07-2016, 08:29 PM
If this is the idea of Trent solo.... I don't know.

But...isn't Trent always kind of solo?

thevoid99
10-07-2016, 09:28 PM
But...isn't Trent always kind of solo?

But that was in the NIN moniker and there's expectations when it comes to NIN..... Trent as just.... Trent.... uh.... I don't know....

implanted_microchip
10-07-2016, 10:54 PM

I truly have no belief we'll ever see a TR&AR score on vinyl become such a collector's item again and here's why:

That was Trent's first full-fledged film score. Immediately it gains an added importance.

It was for one of the most lauded films of the year that many felt was robbed of Best Picture and is still talked about fondly as an emblematic film of the culture at the time. The other stuff they've done since has been popular and well-loved but not at that level and not as universally accessible.

That score was a perfect listening length and lent itself far more to being heard independent of the respective films; there's a good hour or so of the Dragon Tattoo score that absolutely feels like "film score music" and isn't half as strong in isolation.

The vinyl market was on the rise in 09 but still nowhere near what it is now and these days we're seeing that comic book collector thing happen -- people assuming everything is going to be valuable, so they buy extras of everything, and now they're not because everyone did that. Anyone who bought multiples of the Gone Girl score with that in mind pretty much wasted an extra 20-30 bucks on it.

The Social Network score won the Oscar. It was his first, it was a big deal, it was an Oscar for his first(!!!) film score and that's an historic aspect of it that other stuff doesn't have and won't have. Even if he wins another someday, it'll not be seen as big a deal.

In general aside from things only being released in their super-deluxe-shit-you-don't-need-edition form like Dragon Tattoo, I don't think any of these scores are going to ever be going for hundreds of dollars on vinyl again.

Also as far as the new song goes: I think it's great to hear Trent letting himself sing in a different style, I think this not being dubbed a NIN track afforded him a lot of mental freedom from those expectations and constraints. It's very far away from anything we've come to expect come from his mouth, and I like that. I've been waiting to be caught off guard or surprised by the sound of something he's done for years now, and this did it. I would be totally down for a TR-AR album with vocals if this is the kind of stuff we'd be getting out of it.

raptors661
10-07-2016, 11:46 PM
I preordered the vinyl on nin.com. $55 shipped. Kinda steep. If I see it pop up on amazon I'll just preorder it there and cancel it on nin.com if i can.

ninjaw
10-08-2016, 01:08 AM
Sometimes it feels like new NIN-related YouTube channels are made to be attached to random releases and then immediately abandoned. Did he lose the password to Nullco (https://www.youtube.com/user/nullco) or something?

Full HD version of the video finally poped up on it

ryanmcfly
10-08-2016, 01:36 AM
This song is awesome. I hope it's not the only one on the album with vocals.

Al_Hunter
10-08-2016, 01:52 AM
How the fuck does he justify charging $70 on top of the $44 for the record itself ($115 shipped!) to ship to the UK?!! Would anyone here be prepared to order 2 copies and ship to me in the UK for a reasonable price (assuming that you're not being absolutely fucked on shipping charges in the US) and I'll obviously pay you back and a bit extra for the hassle?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

witte
10-08-2016, 02:31 AM
^^why don't you order it in the uk?

downloaded the song.
but...a lot of the same.
but overall great!
listened it now for the fourth time.
really digging it.
the arrangement, the sounds/mixing on the background and in the song, the little details. trent is the only one who has an eye for it. high quality!

nufan
10-08-2016, 02:49 AM
How the fuck does he justify charging $70 on top of the $44 for the record itself ($115 shipped!) to ship to the UK?!! Would anyone here be prepared to order 2 copies and ship to me in the UK for a reasonable price (assuming that you're not being absolutely fucked on shipping charges in the US) and I'll obviously pay you back and a bit extra for the hassle?

Its £45 shipped if you use the UK store link. Like others have mentioned, it's likely to be available on Amazon in due course. I'll pulled the trigger but wonder if I should have waited now..

Al_Hunter
10-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Its £45 shipped if you use the UK store link. Like others have mentioned, it's likely to be available on Amazon in due course. I'll pulled the trigger but wonder if I should have waited now..
Thanks. I'd only seen the NIN post which linked to the US store and hadn't even remembered there was a UK store! Early morning fail.

bobbie solo
10-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Atticus: Trent, so how high can your voice exactly go these days? Let's find out..."

and they can say whatever they want, but that's a NIN song to me.

ninjaw
10-08-2016, 02:59 AM
Sorry to flood :) but quick remember, the best full hd quality of the video is only on this brand new youtube channel :
https://youtu.be/wwwQ4uVGGSE

witte
10-08-2016, 03:04 AM
Thanks. I'd only seen the NIN post which linked to the US store and hadn't even remembered there was a UK store! Early morning fail.

if you're still searching...... (http://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/nin/products.php?cat=4974)

Al_Hunter
10-08-2016, 03:08 AM
if you're still searching...... (http://www.bandstores.co.uk/shop/nin/products.php?cat=4974)
Ha thanks but no - placed my order now. I can justify £45 for vinyl far easier than £90 for vinyl! 😊

sheepdean
10-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Possibly heresy, but I kinda like there being Trent vocals with visuals that aren't in Rob's style at all for a change (even CBH had his elements), it's refreshing

Substance242
10-08-2016, 06:28 AM
I feel there is also something from "Right where it belongs"... And I find myself subconsiously changing the lyrics to "I need, a reason to breathe" or "a minute to sleep" etc, what's wrong with me? :-)

Also, true story - I was shopping now and one small children was singing that random baby babbling to itself, and I swear it once hit part from the "naah naah naah" perfectly! :-D

Btw, if my youtube-dl is correct, the iTunes version has better audio (MP4a aprox. 256 kbps, 48 kHz) than YouTube (MP4a 128 kbps 44.1 kHz, but video is 1980x1080 there).

Deepvoid
10-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Love the song. Love the video. It's soothing yet powerful. The combination of all elements (song, lyrics & imagery) is just incredible.

sweeterthan
10-08-2016, 08:07 AM
I also got a right where it belongs vibe from the song. I guess it's the tempo and his falsetto vocals. It also makes me think of the ending of In Two.

witte
10-08-2016, 10:52 AM
around 3:30 the 'reptile' intro makes his appearance ;)
people, it's trent. sounds he made stay familiar

arsenic
10-08-2016, 11:31 AM
around 3:30 the 'reptile' intro makes his appearance ;)
people, it's trent. sounds he made stay familiar

Interesting!
Someone on reddit is speculating that this song might also be about Bowie. And Reptile is actually one of the songs that they played live together

matt925
10-08-2016, 11:31 AM
The new track is alright. Can't imagine this is gonna be a popular opinion but I'm not keen on the vocals. Especially the na-na's

I'm not feeling it at all. I listened 5 or 6 times in a row hoping it would grow on me. Oh well.

billpulsipher
10-08-2016, 12:28 PM
sounds like a HM b sides..ol trent is still repeating himself these days..either with the mumbling vocals or high pitch falsetto...can the man scream anymore? sing with some power and authority behind it? all these mumbling and high pitched shit is making me long for WT for god sake..even then he let it rip vocally

BRoswell
10-08-2016, 12:37 PM
can the man scream anymore?

The fuck were you expecting with this track? Broken Part 2?

niggo
10-08-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm not feeling it at all. I listened 5 or 6 times in a row hoping it would grow on me. Oh well.

Listened to it quite a lot know. The na-na's are my absolute favorite part of the song. I get goosebumps from the sudden transition from "goodbye" to the first na-na's. That's pure emotion.

Other than that I also love the surprise sax, the Reptile appregio and the kind of random bass line right at the end.

witte
10-08-2016, 12:41 PM
sounds like a HM b sides....
absolutely not, in fact... that's what's positive about this and gives hope. it reminds me a lot of WT, TF.
...and that sample from TDS ;)

billpulsipher
10-08-2016, 12:45 PM
The fuck were you expecting with this track? Broken Part 2?

a vocal take that isnt mumbling or high pitched falsetto....not too much to ask

BRoswell
10-08-2016, 12:56 PM
a vocal take that isnt mumbling or high pitched falsetto....not too much to ask

If you think he's actually mumbling in this track, you need your hearing checked. Then again, you seem to think he should be screaming in this track, so what do you know?

Substance242
10-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Wondering if this documentary will be in some cinema nearby...? I'd go.

Anyway, I seem to like it more and more. For example, the first time I was a bit surprised by the "naahs", but now they fit perfectly. :-) Also, it is somewhat hard to switch playing in my head from the first motif to final two minutes, isn't there some change in scale? And I think maybe it is dedicated to children, "look you in the eyes" embarassed by the damage we're leaving behind...

billpulsipher
10-08-2016, 02:58 PM
If you think he's actually mumbling in this track, you need your hearing checked. Then again, you seem to think he should be screaming in this track, so what do you know?

I said he should scream more in general. Not for this song....If you arent objective enough (which you're not) to realize TR has been using the same vocal style for the last 9 years (mumbling or high pitch falsetto) there is no way of reasoning with you..Its common knowledge he's become a one trick pony..for god sake they even made a viral video about it (this is a trent reznor song) He has changed his vocal style starting with YZ...its either mumbling or high pitch falsetto..thats not opinion. its fact

Avarik
10-08-2016, 03:06 PM
TR should just not use his voice and make more sweet ass instrumental trax

BRoswell
10-08-2016, 03:29 PM
I said he should scream more in general. Not for this song....If you arent objective enough (which you're not) to realize TR has been using the same vocal style for the last 9 years (mumbling or high pitch falsetto) there is no way of reasoning with you..Its common knowledge he's become a one trick pony..for god sake they even made a viral video about it (this is a trent reznor song) He has changed his vocal style starting with YZ...its either mumbling or high pitch falsetto..thats not opinion. its fact

It's a fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Let's review the dictionary definition of "mumble", shall we?

mumble

verb (used without object), mumbled, mumbling.
to speak in a low indistinct manner, almost to an unintelligible extent; mutter.

See that 'u' word in there? "Unintelligible"? Yeah, that doesn't describe Trent's vocal style in the track AT ALL (or most of the tracks he's made since Year Zero). I could hear him and understand him just fine, as could most of the people who have posted in this thread it seems. So, with that said, tell us, O Master Of Objectivity, where is all this mumbling you're mumbling about?

Singing softly isn't mumbling. You want to hear mumbling? Go listen to a Thom Yorke song and THEN tell me that Trent is mumbling his lyrics.

And if he's such a "one trick pony" now, why in the fuck are you still listening to new music from him?

joplinpicasso
10-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Billpulsipher:

I've never really interacted with you here yet but all I got from your last few posts are: Trent is repeating himself with vocal styles; but Trent should not be screaming here; vocals since Year Zero have been bland and same-sounding.

It just seems you don't know what you want or just won't be happy with anything besides angry industrial rock music. I actually think his singing and screaming before The Fragile was same-sounding. On TF, WT, YZ, and HM, he makes many new, interesting, almost theatrical vocal decisions. I can provide specific examples if you'd like, and then it will just be a matter of different definitions.

Shnoorum
10-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Listened to it quite a lot know. The na-na's are my absolute favorite part of the song. I get goosebumps from the sudden transition from "goodbye" to the first na-na's. That's pure emotion.

Other than that I also love the surprise sax, the Reptile appregio and the kind of random bass line right at the end.

Gonna give it another few listens but not sure if it's gonna really grow on me. Definitely not a bad track by any means but don't think it's my cup of tea

billpulsipher
10-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Billpulsipher:

I've never really interacted with you here yet but all I got from your last few posts are: Trent is repeating himself with vocal styles; but Trent should not be screaming here; vocals since Year Zero have been bland and same-sounding.

It just seems you don't know what you want or just won't be happy with anything besides angry industrial rock music. I actually think his singing and screaming before The Fragile was same-sounding. On TF, WT, YZ, and HM, he makes many new, interesting, almost theatrical vocal decisions. I can provide specific examples if you'd like, and then it will just be a matter of different definitions.

I'd be just as happy with an album full of ballads and Still sounding songs....The Rez' vocal style post 2007 generally consists of mumbling or singing in a high pitch voice..thats just the way it is..people can argue my opinion all they want, but I'm not the first person to bring this up.

BRoswell
10-08-2016, 09:38 PM
people can argue my opinion all they want...

Your opinion? What happened to it being an objective, irrefutable FACT?

Jon
10-09-2016, 04:03 AM
Reptile intro keyboards starting at 3:20?

Very similar.

The sequence in "A Minute To Breathe" sounds about 10-20 percent slower.

r_z
10-09-2016, 09:49 AM
The song reminds me of RWIB, too. It's kind of the same concept, isn't it? Melodramatic piano playing while mourning stuff that's going on in the/his world accompanied by softly sung lyrics.

I can't help being put off by singing capabilities vs. self seriousness levels in the lyrics that are on display here (again). It's all a bit too on the nose for me, too. Sad piano, sad voice, sad na-na-na want me to feel sad. LITS was miles above this song, I feel.

I'm also not sure, how to judge the fact he's once again trying to sing a song like this himself. Didn't they find a better singer? Is it a bold move that he keeps pushing himself? Or does it stem from a need for recognition as the frontman?

WorzelG
10-09-2016, 10:00 AM
^^^what's wrong with wanting to have need of recognition as a frontman in a frontman???

Also doesn't htda suggest he's OK not being a frontman all the time.

Anyway I find false humility really annoying.

About the vocals, I think the shakiness and imperfection is the point and reflects the shaky ground humanity stands on with regards to climate change, or something! I think this song can safely be ruled out when it comes to live performances though

niggo
10-09-2016, 04:24 PM
I just stumbled upon JMJ's twitter and once again have the impression that he's just a genuinely good guy. He retweeted the teaser for "A Moment To Breathe" saying "This excerpt alone is worth the price of admission."

Deadpool
10-10-2016, 12:02 AM
I just stumbled upon JMJ's twitter and once again have the impression that he's just a genuinely good guy. He retweeted the teaser for "A Moment To Breathe" saying "This excerpt alone is worth the price of admission."

The occasional scientology remarks about him kill me, because he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met – not one of the nicest musicians, one of the nicest people. Possibly the single biggest geek-out moment of my life was when I asked him about Ken Andrews recording NIN's The Slip rehearsals. I'll never forget that. As a player and producer, I happen to love his work. His twitter account has always expressed pure pride in his time with NIN, which I always find tremendously heartening.

On topic, I'm really into the new song. The length and tracklist of the album are getting me even more excited.

I have a good feeling about this soundtrack. Curious about the movie itself, too!

Ryan
10-10-2016, 06:16 AM
The occasional scientology remarks about him kill me, because he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met – not one of the nicest musicians, one of the nicest people. Possibly the single biggest geek-out moment of my life was when I asked him about Ken Andrews recording NIN's The Slip rehearsals. I'll never forget that. As a player and producer, I happen to love his work. His twitter account has always expressed pure pride in his time with NIN, which I always find tremendously heartening.

On topic, I'm really into the new song. The length and tracklist of the album are getting me even more excited.

I have a good feeling about this soundtrack. Curious about the movie itself, too!

I just Wikipediad Ken Andrews and I see he did 1,000,000 and Echoplex live. I wonder why only those two songs and not all of them?

Deadpool
10-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I just Wikipediad Ken Andrews and I see he did 1,000,000 and Echoplex live. I wonder why only those two songs and not all of them?

A good question. I wish I knew why that was the case – maybe asking JMJ on social media will yield some insights!

witte
10-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Before the Flood

http://www.asturscore.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Before-the-flood-300x300.jpg (http://www.asturscore.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Before-the-flood.jpg)
01. Before the Flood – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross + Gustavo Santaolalla (7:53)
02. A Minute to Breathe – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (6:07)
03. Between Two Poles – Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (8:06)
04. Dust Bowl – Mogwai (2:50)
05. Thin Ice – Gustavo Santaolalla (1:05)
06. And When the Sky Was Opened – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (6:35)
07. Ghost Nets – Mogwai (5:13)
08. Trembling – Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (5:01)
09. One More Step – Gustavo Santaolalla (3:32)
10. Huaynaputina – Mogwai (6:39)
11. At Dusk – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross + Gustavo Santaolalla (5:41)
12. Thin Ice Reimagined – Gustavo Santaolalla + Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (6:09)
13. Disappearing Act – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (3:52)
14. The Melting Pot – Gustavo Santaolalla (2:05)
15. 8 Billion – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (8:41)
16. One Perfect Moment – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (10:08)
17. A Minute Later – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (1:46)
18. After the Flood – Mogwai (5:09)
Duraciσn total: 96:32 minutos

thelastdisciple
10-12-2016, 12:21 PM
How do they figure what persons name goes first on those collaborative tracks? whoever has the largest contribution?

simonn
10-12-2016, 01:22 PM
So about 20 minutes of Mogwai, 7 of Santaolalla, 37 TR/AR and 32 TR/AR/GS. Nice.

fillow
10-12-2016, 03:49 PM
For the scrobbling sake, i'm gonna tag all TRAR+GS tracks in the same order. Or not.

cashpiles (closed)
10-12-2016, 04:43 PM
How do they figure what persons name goes first on those collaborative tracks? whoever has the largest contribution?
it could be that... i also think it's the person or people who had the original idea or skeleton for the song.

niggo
10-12-2016, 04:46 PM
For the scrobbling sake, i'm gonna tag all TRAR+GS tracks in the same order. Or not.

Bringing up the real problems. #taggingdecisions

Avarik
10-13-2016, 05:35 PM

I thought about this already, but I think I'm just going to leave the tags the way Trent made them. I'm being torn apart by this decision

matt925
10-14-2016, 12:57 AM

I take it back, this has grown on me a lot. Hard to explain but it's stuck in my head quite a bit. I wouldn't play this for a non fan as an example of his voice, but I keep thinking about the song in my head.

"We'll all be judged by what we leave behind" is a great line.

Ryan
10-14-2016, 05:45 AM
I kinda wish TRAR got the closing track instead of Mogwai.

Ryan
10-14-2016, 05:47 AM
I take it back, this has grown on me a lot. Hard to explain but it's stuck in my head quite a bit. I wouldn't play this for a non fan as an example of his voice, but I keep thinking about the song in my head.

"We'll all be judged by what we leave behind" is a great line.

Yeah I love it, reminds me of the sequel to Zero-Sum lyrically.

Ryan
10-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Sorry for the triple post.

Made this page, feel free to add to/edit:

http://www.nin.wiki/A_Minute_to_Breathe

fillow
10-14-2016, 07:48 AM
inside of Mogwai.
wait, what?

Ryan
10-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Whoops. Instead*

jhulud
10-14-2016, 08:14 AM
I preordered the vinyl on nin.com. $55 shipped. Kinda steep. If I see it pop up on amazon I'll just preorder it there and cancel it on nin.com if i can.

Yeah. That price-tag is keeping me from ordering direct from nin.com. If it does come up on Amazon, I'll order from them.

Have not listened to any tracks out yet...almost want to listen to the whole thing when out.

buckaroo
10-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Yeah. That price-tag is keeping me from ordering direct from nin.com. If it does come up on Amazon, I'll order from them.

Have not listened to any tracks out yet...almost want to listen to the whole thing when out.

Were there any other tracks besides A Minute to Breathe released?

witte
10-14-2016, 10:46 AM
A Minute to Breathe – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (6:07) is on Spotify right now!

blassster
10-14-2016, 04:39 PM
A Minute to Breathe – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (6:07) is on Spotify right now!
Also on Google Play Music now. Yay
Edit - GPM allows choice to purchase and DL an mp3 locally

Avarik
10-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Really hope nin.com offers the hifi download standalone
Not trying to spend that much seeing as I don't have a turn table

botley
10-14-2016, 08:14 PM
And on Tidal, for everyone who cares about lossless audio!

WorzelG
10-15-2016, 01:53 AM
And on Tidal, for everyone who cares about lossless audio!
I may very well give Tidal a try - do you get lossless audio in the month trial do you know?

ninjaw
10-15-2016, 02:30 AM
Also on Google Play Music now. Yay

More important : it's on deezer (http://www.deezer.com/album/14278912), the service easy to rip. So there's a single cover ? do we have better than 250*250 from deezer ?
http://cdn-images.deezer.com/images/cover/eb20dacde13eccfac9be9ffc9461fa09/250x250.jpg

Lerxto
10-15-2016, 04:46 AM
More important : it's on deezer (http://www.deezer.com/album/14278912), the service easy to rip. So there's a single cover ? do we have better than 250*250 from deezer ?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/c9e00f7f042dbbbb137c8082213b6d8d/tumblr_of31sexlJH1uzl1e3o1_1280.jpg

1280*1280

somewhat_
10-15-2016, 06:50 AM
A minute to breathe can be purchased on Amazon. I think that's a good sign that the entire album will be available to purchase digitally as well.

botley
10-15-2016, 12:12 PM
I may very well give Tidal a try - do you get lossless audio in the month trial do you know?
Yes, just sign up for the HiFi option.

TheBang
10-17-2016, 05:33 PM

2160x2160, if you want it really big:
https://musicimage.xboxlive.com/catalog/music.album.8D6KGWX374HF/image?locale=en-us&w=2160&h=2160

BenAkenobi
10-18-2016, 12:28 AM
that 2160 looks like it's upscaled, tho

PhoenixML
10-18-2016, 08:48 AM
oh shit it's THIS friday?? Now that is what I call "soon".

WorzelG
10-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Another interview about Before the Flood which makes it seem much more collaborative between everyone involved than you'd think reading the credits
http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/green-life/musician-and-composer-trent-reznor-talks-about-flood

snaapz
10-20-2016, 02:23 PM
'A Minute to Breathe' is an amazing track. I've given it all my attention, eyes shut and headphones on. Wow, the ending is so very delicate and peaceful. I love all the layers.

This is very satisfying.

I remember when 'Earth Song' was released, MJ's voice is very delicate in this song too (some parts). It seemed like everybody stopped what they were doing for a few minutes and stared into their TVs to see what was happening outside. This too is an amazing one. As a child I almost believed that this one video would change the world. What a fucking disaster we are, we as people are incapable of making the changes necessary to better the world. The leaders are fucking us over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi3VTSdTxU

simonn
10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Very excited for tomorrow. Thought there'd be more of a buzz here to be honest! Could that be partly due to the nature of releasing this (no physical except vinyl, not going to be in shops etc).

Liked that article that Worzel G posted ^^ particularly, the 'try to cover Mogwai's song before they'd finished it' bit...can just imagine Mogwai when they received the file - 'cheeky bastards'!!

BTW have tried the Tidal HiFi that someone mentioned earlier - admittedly so far only on headphones, but can't say I'm noticing too much difference between the sound quality and that of a CD to be honest. Will defo be giving BTF a go on that and Spotify tomorrow to see if there's much difference.

simonn
10-20-2016, 02:37 PM
'A Minute to Breathe' is an amazing track. I've given it all my attention, eyes shut and headphones on. Wow, the ending is so very delicate and peaceful. I love all the layers.

This is very satisfying.

I remember when 'Earth Song' was released, MJ's voice is very delicate in this song too (some parts). It seemed like everybody stopped what they were doing for a few minutes and stared into their TVs to see what was happening outside. This too is an amazing one. As a child I almost believed that this one video would change the world. What a fucking disaster we are, we as people are incapable of making the changes necessary to better the world. The leaders are fucking us over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi3VTSdTxU

Always loved that song and video!

BRoswell
10-20-2016, 10:01 PM
So a friend was kind enough to send me an MP3 version of the soundtrack he snagged until I can buy a high quality version. I'm a third of the way through it and I'm really digging it so far.

ryanmcfly
10-20-2016, 10:24 PM
It's on Apple Music now.

kargath
10-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Received my album download links from my nin.com purchase

neveroddoreven
10-20-2016, 10:45 PM
i've only listened to the itunes previews but this release has me wishing for a godspeed you black emperor! collaboration...

really appreciated that act as an opener for the HM tour... if this is the direction TRAR want to go, i think they could solidify what they're trying to accomplish with a little more "bite" from godspeed...

i know that won't happen, i'm just glad to see reznor working with other artists outside of the nails circle...

Prettybrokenspiral
10-20-2016, 11:39 PM
I'm listening to this in a hotel room high above a city, watching the world below. It's beautiful.

simonn
10-21-2016, 12:06 AM
6am in the UK, not on Spotify or Tidal. Don't wanna buy from iTunes cos it's only 256. And no digital option on NIN.com. What a let down. #firstworldproblems

WorzelG
10-21-2016, 01:02 AM
6am in the UK, not on Spotify or Tidal. Don't wanna buy from iTunes cos it's only 256. And no digital option on NIN.com. What a let down. #firstworldproblems
I'm just waiting for an actual announcement, I want the lossless files

NIN64
10-21-2016, 01:02 AM
Just downloaded the nin.com digital version. The tags are all messed up. All credit to TR & AR on every track with no mention to Gustavo Santaolalla or Mogwai aside from the album artwork. This should be corrected.

simonn
10-21-2016, 01:27 AM
Just downloaded the nin.com digital version. The tags are all messed up. All credit to TR & AR on every track with no mention to Gustavo Santaolalla or Mogwai aside from the album artwork. This should be corrected.

Take it this is because you've bought the vinyl, as I can't see digital option otherwise?

I'm just waiting for an actual announcement, I want the lossless files

This is Trent we're talking about. Might be a while!

NIN64
10-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Take it this is because you've bought the vinyl, as I can't see digital option otherwise?

Yes, I bought the vinyl.

WorzelG
10-21-2016, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=simonn;320436]Take it this is because you've bought the vinyl, as I can't see digital option otherwise?

Yes

Do you get to choose audio formats? It would be a bit ridiculous if buying vinyl (totally useless to me without a record player) was the only way to get best quality digital files.

Also Trent really needs to keep his sites updated. If you go into nin.com Juno is the last thing shown

NIN64
10-21-2016, 01:41 AM
Do you get to choose audio formats? It would be a bit ridiculous if buying vinyl (totally useless to me without a record player) was the only way to get best quality digital files.

Also Trent really needs to keep his sites updated. If you go into nin.com Juno is the last thing shown

I think I got to choose two weeks ago when I bought it.

niggo
10-21-2016, 03:57 AM
I will buy the CD when it will come out, but for now ... Could someone pls PM me a link to the digital version? :(

niggo
10-21-2016, 04:47 AM
Alright, I am covered. First song already fucking awesome!

spiralhate
10-21-2016, 05:22 AM
Beautiful soundtrack so far!

SchwarzerAbt
10-21-2016, 05:22 AM
They could at least say that there won't be any CD version. Right now there's the risk of buying digital and then the CD is coming out and you have to decide if you want to buy the same music again.

(Although I have the feeling that it is highly unlikely that it will still be a thing. Maybe in the case of Oscar nominations...)

WorzelG
10-21-2016, 05:23 AM
I succumbed and bought on itunes, loving it so far. Stand outs to me are Before the Flood, Minute to Breathe, Dust Bowl, Huayaputina, At Dusk, Thin Ice Reimagined, Disappearing Act. Only on track 13 so far. Seems to be quite a lot of acoustic guitar, is this Gustavo Santaolalla's thing?

WorzelG
10-21-2016, 05:25 AM
They could at least say that there won't be any CD version. Right now there's the risk of buying digital and then the CD is coming out and you have to decide if you want to buy the same music again.

(Although I have the feeling that it is highly unlikely that it will still be a thing. Maybe in the case of Oscar nominations...)
Will this be Oscar eligible? Don't they have some rule against too many composers? I mean 2 seems to be OK but 3 separate composers may be stretching it

chuenthez
10-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Everybody who ordered the vinyl received their link for the full sountrack ? I didn't...
And I hope it will be in Lossless format, don't remember I had to choose when I bought the vinyl but still "A Minute to Breathe" was an MP3 version...

m0reta
10-21-2016, 06:13 AM
If you chose wav you should get that. Alas no PDF it seems.

Ryan
10-21-2016, 06:26 AM
I created the ninwiki pages for all the relevant TRAR tracks if anyone wants to contribute:

http://www.nin.wiki/Before_The_Flood_Soundtrack

Also need to add the bpms:

http://www.nin.wiki/List_Of_BPM_Rates#Before_The_Flood_Soundtrack

WorzelG
10-21-2016, 06:28 AM
OK A Minute Later just made me cry. I thought this was supposed to have an optimistic element?

Reznor2112
10-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Would love a PM until it finally hits Spotify. Or whenever another retailer gets around to selling the vinyl. Not buying it from NIN.com

thanks

Twiggy
10-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Love the Gone Girl and Social Network soundtracks. Will have a listen.
Only the first track is on Spotify... Any other places to listen to the album other than AppleMusic?

buckaroo
10-21-2016, 06:45 AM

I have to rant here... I find this totally crazy. I listened to this on Apple Music last night (I have a subscription to supplement some of the stuff not available on Spotify like this soundtrack) and liked it enough that I wanted to "purchase it." I had to spend 12.70 (after already spending 1.99 on A Minute to Breathe) to get this from iTunes (which I hate). They could at least give some information about if or when other options would be available. Now I will have to buy this again to get lossless if they make it available. I feel like I am forced to choose an expensive vinyl option I don't want or iTunes which I also don't want until it become available at some point. It is also irritating that this isn't on Spotify which is my preferred streaming medium. Sorry, I am just tired of purchasing the same music multiple times.

simonn
10-21-2016, 06:56 AM
I have to rant here... I find this totally crazy. I listened to this on Apple Music last night (I have a subscription to supplement some of the stuff not available on Spotify like this soundtrack) and liked it enough that I wanted to "purchase it." I had to spend 12.70 (after already spending 1.99 on A Minute to Breathe) to get this from iTunes (which I hate). They could at least give some information about if or when other options would be available. Now I will have to buy this again to get lossless if they make it available. I feel like I am forced to choose an expensive vinyl option I don't want or iTunes which I also don't want until it become available at some point. It is also irritating that this isn't on Spotify which is my preferred streaming medium. Sorry, I am just tired of purchasing the same music multiple times.

I share your frustration. Indication is that it will turn up on Spotify, because A Minute To Breathe did, but much like A Minute To Breathe probably a day or two after it's exclusive release on the Apple platform, to presumably try and hook people into buying it outright rather than streaming it. Too little information is being provided, and too late in the day. Par for the course though, it seems, these days.

explodey
10-21-2016, 07:11 AM
For anyone who ordered the vinyl on the UK Bandstores site, I have just been told that "you will be receiving the full download later on today" by their support person.

mauro995
10-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Some of the sounds in Before The Flood remind me a lot of the Fragile era, I feel a "Leaving Hope" vibe throughout the whole soundtrack.

nufan
10-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Everybody who ordered the vinyl received their link for the full sountrack ? I didn't...
And I hope it will be in Lossless format, don't remember I had to choose when I bought the vinyl but still "A Minute to Breathe" was an MP3 version...

No, I haven't got a d/l email either which is annoying!!!

neorev
10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
There better be a lossless release. Fuck mp3.

chuenthez
10-21-2016, 08:10 AM
I created the ninwiki pages for all the relevant TRAR tracks if anyone wants to contribute:

http://www.nin.wiki/Before_The_Flood_Soundtrack

Also need to add the bpms:

http://www.nin.wiki/List_Of_BPM_Rates#Before_The_Flood_Soundtrack

I can't modify the wiki, and not to be requesting anything, but the page for Trent and Atticus Songs is out-of-date (even Juno isn't there):
http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Trent_Reznor_and_Atticus_Ross_Songs

niggo
10-21-2016, 09:18 AM
The first track is just bananas, man. It's unbelievable how good it is. Dude, something like this with vocals on a new NIN album and I will loose my shit.

joplinpicasso
10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
The first track is just bananas, man. It's unbelievable how good it is. Dude, something like this with vocals on a new NIN album and I will loose my shit.

Whoa, how did I miss this dropping?! So, stay away from digital purchases at NIN.com right now, or what?

jmtd
10-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Almost bought this immediately, but I've taken a minute to breathe and now I'm going to wait and see what existing pre-orderers in the UK get in terms of downloads.

The store.nin.com (US) store wanted to charge $ 69.85 shipping on top of $45 for the product! which is a $1 = £1 exchange rate anyway :/

buckaroo
10-21-2016, 10:44 AM
I share your frustration. Indication is that it will turn up on Spotify, because A Minute To Breathe did, but much like A Minute To Breathe probably a day or two after it's exclusive release on the Apple platform, to presumably try and hook people into buying it outright rather than streaming it. Too little information is being provided, and too late in the day. Par for the course though, it seems, these days.

This is exactly the issue. I am a huge fan and I am excited. I couldn't wait a day or week or month... I feel like I was forced to purchase from iTunes and as a result will be forced to buy a second copy of the same thing... which happens too often (I had to buy HM from iTunes for the exclusive and this was only offered as an "album only" purchase for example). If this was new nin I would have probably pre-ordered the vinyl no questions, but for a soundtrack that I will probably not listen to that regularly it seems like too much. Even the albums I love I rarely listen to the vinyl...