PDA

View Full Version : Before the Flood (2016)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Reznor2112
10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Really diggin this album.

witte
10-21-2016, 02:42 PM
i just listened again to 'amtb' after a short brake.
awesome production, the small details, marvelous sounds/layers. it gives me hope for future releases.

Microwave Jellyfish
10-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Really digging that title track.

Avarik
10-21-2016, 04:28 PM
I like the part where he puts out the lossless files that don't cost $45

It's still coming

Vic
10-21-2016, 07:00 PM
I will buy the CD when it will come out, but for now ... Could someone pls PM me a link to the digital version? :(
Alright, I am covered. First song already fucking awesome!
Please, someone send me a PM too. Thanks in advance. :)

CRIMinal
10-21-2016, 08:13 PM
I can't wait to hear the soundtrack, but I am not buying the vinyl or buying it from itunes. I get it that he works for apple, but having it exclusively on a specific service is just asking for your work to get pirated.

chipy
10-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Could someone please PM me a link to the digital version? :p

Shnoorum
10-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Would super appreciate a PM too

Sequenteon
10-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Spent a couple of hours listening to this today. It feels very beautiful.

Ryan
10-21-2016, 09:18 PM
P to the M to the ty.

neorev
10-21-2016, 09:25 PM
I plan on purchasing once lossless is made available or a CD if that does not happen.

I'd drop cash for a 24 bit copy.

ninlive
10-21-2016, 09:28 PM
This score is great.

vivisection13
10-21-2016, 09:32 PM
PM please. Thanks in advance.

high def ultra-realism
10-21-2016, 09:34 PM
I would love a PM if possible too!

imail724
10-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Jesus. Do none of you people know how to torrent? It's 2016.

Vic
10-21-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm unable to find it in several famous torrent sites that I'll not mention because I don't know if that's ok around here, all I see when I search for "Before The Flood" is a Bob Dylan album and a Dr Who episode.

I also don't have itunes on my computer/cellphone/tablet, I've never ever used it. And I'm not going to buy the vinyl because I don't have a player, I would buy the cd as soon as it was available, I've always bought cds and I own everything Trent has ever done that has been released in that format. So, reading the comments on this thread, I'm not sure which are the other options to get the digital album, that's why I asked for a pm, if I could find it in a torrent site I wouldn't have asked for it. ;)

blitzkrieg
10-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Interested in a PM too. Thank you.

implanted_microchip
10-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Feeling like getting a P to the M if anyone would be so kind.

Edit: Thanks

Ryan
10-21-2016, 10:59 PM

yeah but trump is almost president and everything is shit and idgaf (lazy) pm, kthxbye

Ryan
10-21-2016, 11:02 PM
yeah but trump is almost president and everything is shit and idgaf (lazy) pm, kthxbye

OH wait a minute, I found it.

Send ME a PM if you want it.

Ryan
10-21-2016, 11:13 PM
OH wait a minute, I found it.

Send ME a PM if you want it.

edit: well, I got up to Trembling then the user went offline. Scrap sending me PMs.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-22-2016, 12:26 AM
OK A Minute Later just made me cry. I thought this was supposed to have an optimistic element?

For real, I listened to And When The Sky Was Opened like six times in a row when it came up my first time through. There's a reason TR's music has always reached so incredibly deep into my soul and this track reinforces that feat tenfold.

He and Atticus completely own this soundtrack. The compositions from Mogwai and Santaolalla solo are fine enough, but this whole thing is ultimately the Trentticus show from beginning to end..

sick among the pure
10-22-2016, 03:17 AM
I would love a CD release, can't afford the vinyl (at least not right now). So if anyone wants to send me a PM, I'll just spend the money that would have gone to a CD of this on another shirt next tour or something. One way or another, Trent always gets a significant portion of my income, lol.

WorzelG
10-22-2016, 03:26 AM
So why has Trent announced this on Facebook but not Twitter? Why not all at the same time? Sometimes I find his promotional strategies a bit haphazard. Juno is still the latest thing on nin.com.

Wolfkiller
10-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Late to the party but I read some of your thoughts on this and immediately bought the vinyl. First song is already really fucking great, thanks ets

noneofthem
10-22-2016, 05:02 AM
I purchased the vinyl on October 8th and I still haven't received my digital download (WAV). I sent an email to Bandstores but I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone received a link from them yet? I really want to listen to it today but I don't want to try the lower quality stream from Apple Music.

Edit: PM would be great for me, too. :)

witte
10-22-2016, 05:09 AM
I purchased the vinyl on October 8th and I still haven't received my digital download (WAV). I sent an email to Bandstores but I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone received a link from them yet? I really want to listen to it today but I don't want to try the lower quality stream from Apple Music.

Edit: PM would be great for me, too. :)

yes, the same for me. i sent an email this morning

simonn
10-22-2016, 05:32 AM
Got to listen to it last night thanks to a kind soul on here. Some GREAT moments on there - title track is textbook NIN/Reznor/Ross in particular, and I love Thin Ice Reimagined as well - was really hoping for drums towards the end of that song for some reason! One Perfect Moment sounds like Corona Radiata 2016 (not a bad thing in my book), and I think Disappearing Act sounds like it would've fit perfectly on Ghosts, so experimental. Only songs I didn't care for first time round were 8 Billion and Mogwai's Huaynaputina, I can see the latter being deleted quite quickly from my playlist for the album. But this'll definitely be on heavy rotation for a while. Good work from all involved.

ninjaw
10-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Same thing, this store thing is shit, I need a PM.
Well i'm buying everything all the time, but I pick my stores AND my versions. I can stream it because i'm on fucking l'appoule But I need the files, and I wont buy the vinyl here.

nowimnothing
10-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Can I please request a PM as well? I really want to buy it but I can't do itunes. Frustrates me that there is no alternative other than buying vinyl from nin.com. The shipping to Australia is crazy expensive. Soon as I can I will buy a legit copy. There are no torrents available yet either btw

TheUMX
10-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Can anyone PM me? I thought Apple Music could hold me over until a decent buying option popped up, but no luck so far.

niggo
10-22-2016, 08:49 AM
One of my favorite moments is when Trent's sampled voice kicks in right around the 3:15 mark in "Before The Flood". He does that kind of thing pretty often, but somehow in this case it reminds me a lot of The Fragile era. Love it.

Edit: Nevermind.

TheBang
10-22-2016, 08:51 AM
STOP ASKING FOR PM'S

I can't recall this forum ever condoning the widespread dissemination of official commercially-released material intended for purchase, so we're certainly not going to start now. I get that some of you haven't gotten your download link e-mails, or some of you have sads because it's not available on your favorite stream-a-ling-ding service, or some of you have money issues or geographic issues or whatever. I get it. That's just not an excuse for turning this forum into a piracy free-for-all. As someone said, this is 2016. There are plenty of other avenues available to you if you feel you must pursue that. Just not on this forum.

Any further requests for PM's will be met with shaming and then beatings.

Substance242
10-22-2016, 10:27 AM
I think I will wait a while, can't hurt to practice waiting in these instant times, right? :-)

I have my first Apple product only for some weeks, and after first music shopping (Juno) I discovered there is no way to actually store the file on my computer, maybe with iTunes but I am not going to install that on Windows (and share offers only listening link). I also don't use any streaming services (not interested), so maybe Google Play or rather something lossless somewhere, I can wait... :-)

Anyway, "A minute to breathe" is really great and it pops in my head randomly and I enjoy that, so I have something to look forward to. ;-)

Update: Tried to search Astra satellite EPG for "Flood" or "The Turning Point" or "Are We History?" or local "Je s nmi konec?" because it should be on some NatGeo channel on October 30th, not found yet.

SchwarzerAbt
10-22-2016, 11:36 AM
I think the lack of information from official site could be an indication that they are still working on getting it online on other platforms. Otherwise they'd be like "Out now and exclusive for apple", right? Like - it doesn't make sense to have exclusives if you don't advertise them.

Right now the situation is frustrating. But they know that themselves I gues... Still, an official comment would be bigly appreciated. ;)

kargath
10-22-2016, 11:40 AM
There better be a lossless release. Fuck mp3.
The hell are all of you guys raging about.

When you order the vinyl from nin.com, you have to also select if you want 320kbps MP3 or 24B/48kHz WAV download for your digital version. It's part of the checkout process.

Q-NeilL
10-22-2016, 11:49 AM

When you order the vinyl from nin.com, you have to also select if you want 320kbps MP3 or 24B/48kHz WAV download for your digital version. It's part of the checkout process.
Someone say they still don't give any links to download ".wav" format.

gorast
10-22-2016, 12:01 PM
I think the lack of information from official site could be an indication that they are still working on getting it online on other platforms. Otherwise they'd be like "Out now and exclusive for apple", right? Like - it doesn't make sense to have exclusives if you don't advertise them.

Right now the situation is frustrating. But they know that themselves I gues... Still, an official comment would be bigly appreciated. ;)
They've done a poor job advertising the soundtrack all around, I think. I wouldn't doubt that the digital release is exclusive to iTunes and the vinyl orders the way it's been handled.

armogi
10-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Im holding on for a physical cd but this is surely an odd release

Twiggy
10-22-2016, 12:20 PM
I totally agree, nothing against Trent and his work/collaboration with Apple music but it would be nice for it to be released on other Streaming services. I guess ill just have to wait.

I have to rant here... I find this totally crazy. I listened to this on Apple Music last night (I have a subscription to supplement some of the stuff not available on Spotify like this soundtrack) and liked it enough that I wanted to "purchase it." I had to spend 12.70 (after already spending 1.99 on A Minute to Breathe) to get this from iTunes (which I hate). They could at least give some information about if or when other options would be available. Now I will have to buy this again to get lossless if they make it available. I feel like I am forced to choose an expensive vinyl option I don't want or iTunes which I also don't want until it become available at some point. It is also irritating that this isn't on Spotify which is my preferred streaming medium. Sorry, I am just tired of purchasing the same music multiple times.

chuenthez
10-22-2016, 12:21 PM
When I ordered from the UK store it was not the case at all, we didn't get to choose the format.

ninjaw
10-22-2016, 12:49 PM
When I ordered from the UK store it was not the case at all, we didn't get to choose the format.

And when you try to order there is no mention of any other format ...

Bookmark
10-22-2016, 01:46 PM
I dislike this lack of information regarding the release. Only distribution via the own store (without proper information) or only streaming at apple music so far... Where is the Trent Reznor of former times?

kargath
10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Someone say they still don't give any links to download ".wav" format.
I can personally confirm that they're wrong or they should contact nin.com support. I received mine.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/7a5ab25aceecd26ee83ed097a186493f.jpg

blassster
10-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Edit because I've cooled off about it

jmtd
10-22-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm amazed at the number of forum regulars here asking for PMs and I think every last one of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

noneofthem
10-22-2016, 02:44 PM
I already paid for the product. I was supposed to get a download link YESTERDAY. Nothing so far. Not even a response to my email to the merchant. Sorry but I am getting impatient here. Very very bad customer service. Their fault, not ours!

thelastdisciple
10-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Could the DDoS stuff from the other day have disrupted things at all? Although there hasn't really been a good track record of smooth album releases for a while it seems. :(

Khrz
10-22-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm amazed at the number of forum regulars here asking for PMs and I think every last one of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Yes, yes yes, they are, they're terribly sorry and ashamed of themselves, now move along...

neorev
10-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Perhaps you're missing the point here. That requires me buying a vinyl that I do not want. No thank you. I'm not paying $50+ just for a digital download and a vinyl I won't use.

An overpriced vinyl and a shitty iTunes copy as your choices... way to go, Trent.

fillow
10-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Jeez, people are complaining about not having a stream on their favorite service and lack of lossless option which can't be anything but temporary? What the hell is wrong with everyone?

Avarik
10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Jeez, people are complaining about not having a stream on their favorite service and lack of lossless option which can't be anything but temporary? What the hell is wrong with everyone?

Guess we expected too much from TR.

witte
10-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Acting like spoiled children, I'd say.

Edit: vvvv that's how they react

neorev
10-22-2016, 05:11 PM
No one is being spoiled, it's called the year 2016. If you can't simultaneously release an album in different formats, you're doing it wrong. Honestly, it seems more like Apple BS getting the exclusive and the rest of us have to wait. Apple is the worst company for Trent to team up with. They seem at complete odds with his ways. But corporate BS must give them an exclusive amount of time to be the only digital store at first. For Trent bitching about his album prices in different countries and for fans to steal his album, this kind of exclusive crap is not that far off. So it just seems hypocritical. In this day and age, you should have multiple formats ready to go on release day and none of this exclusive BS, especially when it comes to digital music. I can see delays with physical merch, but not digital. I literally can sign up with a company on my own who will put my release on every single digital outlet at the same time for a very small fee. If a small time indie artist like myself can do it, these big companies have no excuse. Hence why all countries coordinated release days to now all be on the same day of the week. Exclusivity promotes illegal downloading. This is a disservice to both the artist and the listener. This isn't coming just from a NIN fan, but a music lover who wants to see the industry thrive and do the right thing. Sadly, the industry is still working on an archaic format and hasn't seemed to learn from their mistakes, they just keep making all news ones.

implanted_microchip
10-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Where is the Trent Reznor of former times?
Busy not having several children and actually liking the internet

witte
10-22-2016, 05:29 PM
to keep it short, the album isn't official released. apple has the pre-release. if you want that, join them. if not, then wait.

hellospaceboy
10-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I don't mind to be patient and wait for it to arrive on other platforms, but ever since the Fragile instrumental and the With Teeth instrumental albums STAYED Apple Music exclusives, I'm a little bit worried that it can happen with other content as well. Excuse me for being a little gun shy.

gorast
10-22-2016, 05:38 PM
That Year Zero rant was ten years ago and Trent has seen a giant change in the industry since then. He's done plenty on his own to break out of the traditional music model and he's implied that he wasn't fond of it, so now he's going in a different direction with Apple. And, by the way, he also said to steal his music in that rant, as you mentioned, so why not just do that if you don't like what he's doing? It's not going to affect him. Just don't turn this thread into a "PM me the music I won't buy pls!!!!!!!!" shitshow.

niggo
10-22-2016, 05:38 PM
It's kinda sad that we're not talking about the music here. Trent and Atticus are at the top of their fucking game. It's incredible. I'm not a big Apple fan either, but I couldn't give a shit right now because the music blows me away and that's what matters.

hellospaceboy
10-22-2016, 05:45 PM
It's kinda sad that we're not talking about the music here. Trent and Atticus are at the top of their fucking game. It's incredible. I'm not a big Apple fan either, but I couldn't give a shit right now because the music blows me away and that's what matters.

You are a 100% right, but we're talking about the release because some of us are unable to listen to it.

neorev
10-22-2016, 05:57 PM

I'll gladly talk all about the music right after I finish downloading this illegal 320kbps copy I had to find so ai can actually listen to it because I couldn't support this release by purchasing it in lossless quality. Be back in a jiffy. ;)

gorast
10-22-2016, 06:02 PM
I think this soundtrack is more interesting than the previous two. Gustavo adds a nice extra dimension to the tracks that he does with Trent and Atticus, and of course Mogwai's songs are lovely and fit in well with the rest of it. A Minute to Breathe being the second track made me think there might be more vocal tracks on the album, but I don't mind that there aren't. Feels to me like a more active listening experience than Dragon Tattoo and especially Gone Girl.

niggo
10-22-2016, 06:03 PM
I'll gladly talk all about the music right after I finish this illegal download 320kbps release I had to get instead because I couldn't purchase the lossless quality. ;)
Dude, so be it. No one forces you to buy a version which doesn't meet your demands. All I'm saying is: Who cares right now? There's new music. Buy it or steal it and done. It's as simple as that. :)

nowimnothing
10-22-2016, 07:11 PM
You say 'steal it'. Would if there was somewhere to get it.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
10-22-2016, 08:10 PM
You say 'steal it'. Would if there was somewhere to get it.

and if someone directed me there I would be grateful!

armogi
10-22-2016, 08:25 PM
thin ice reimagined brings back memories of the fight club soundtrack, that one will be next in line on the stereo :)

blassster
10-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Nah. "Business" is getting in the way of art, which is the shameful thing. There is no other possible reason for this nonsense in the age of infinite distribution choices.

Shouldn't be a surprise that file sharing among fans is a thing when things are in limited release, even if this turns out to be timed.

kargath
10-22-2016, 11:50 PM
We're kind of in a soft release period. People need to calm the hell down. I'm considering my digital download to be a bonus early version for preordering the vinyl. If a CD version comes out later, I'll buy that as well.

And if anyone thinks I'm going to PM them a 1.5gb file because they feel entitled...they're wrong. It's not like this is some limited release that's difficult to get... There's a HUGE difference in sharing some difficult to find limited or not officially released 20 year old remix and sharing something that you could go pay for from the artist directly and have immediately.

Just because we're in a mostly digital age that typically grants us many options doesn't mean we get to act like spoiled brats when things don't go our way. If you don't want to pay to get it now, hold your horses until the soundtrack is actually physically released and see if there's different options at that time.

/rant

Sorry..off my soapbox now

neorev
10-23-2016, 12:04 AM
We're kind of in a soft release period. People need to calm the hell down. I'm considering my digital download to be a bonus early version for preordering the vinyl. If a CD version comes out later, I'll buy that as well.

And if anyone thinks I'm going to PM them a 1.5gb file because they feel entitled...they're wrong. It's not like this is some limited release that's difficult to get... There's a HUGE difference in sharing some difficult to find limited or not officially released 20 year old remix and sharing something that you could go pay for from the artist directly and have immediately.

Just because we're in a mostly digital age that typically grants us many options doesn't mean we get to act like spoiled brats when things don't go our way. If you don't want to pay to get it now, hold your horses until the soundtrack is actually physically released and see if there's different options at that time.

/rant

Sorry..off my soapbox now

http://youtu.be/UmnN3eVMWgA

thelastdisciple
10-23-2016, 12:34 AM
Either way, definitely some weird ass marketing...

Yeah we can assume that it's going to be on more platforms but would it have been too much trouble for someone involved with the release to at least tell us these things for peace of mind? Apparently communication is too much to ask from anyone these days and that's fucking sad.

ninjaw
10-23-2016, 04:58 AM
"if you're not happy with appoule exclusive, just wait" LOL yeah, that's the world of music where we are living... I love your ridiculous appoule way of thinking. As i say I am paying for that piece of crap monthly appoule mousic, so i can stream the shit, the only thing is I dont want to. I could of course record the stupid stream, but why would I loose my time when somebody else did ? The shared copy is 256kbps so I assume it is a stream record. Now ... be ashamed ? We should be proud that we havent shared a lossless version, or put it on torrent (yet). THAT is closer to the world of music where we are living.
PS: I will buy any cd, lossless, or even vinyl, probably all of them, but just not like this.

simonn
10-23-2016, 05:20 AM

Didn't mean to click like on this post. It seems perfectly reasonable, I think, to simultaneously release an album on the most popular streaming services, and to not do it would appear to be counter-productive to the nature of releasing music - reaching as much of your target audience as possible - and to a certain extent - divisive. While there are other, less legal, ways of getting the music, not everyone wants to risk getting computer viruses or malware, just to get music.

Substance242
10-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Documentary on ASTRA 23,5E sat: NGC channel (National Geographic), October 30th, 20:00 - 21:30 (not sure if CEST or CET already), name "Je s nmi konec?" (Skylink provider).

Btw, I've seen the music on certaing russian site about trackers.

niggo
10-23-2016, 06:08 AM
The thing is ... they're not communicating whether there will be any other release, like a CD. Or like a digital only lossless release directly from nin.com (which people would definitely be fine with). That's where the biggest fuck-up happens if you ask me. Put it on Apple Music/iTunes only, say NOTHING, and everyone will loose their minds. And you can't expect your fans to buy a fucking (and very pricey) vinyl if they just want lossless audio files. That's just a shitty way to distribute your music.

I'm not the one who's bitching here but people do have a point in my opinion. It's just that I don't care right now. I'm going to wait and see if there will be a release that will fit my needs.

BenAkenobi
10-23-2016, 06:12 AM
Have you guys considered the main trouble for Before The Flood team is the movie doesn't flop, they have to worry if there's profit from theaters?
After that, depending on profits, they might think of wider than itewnz OST release. I checked local cinema schedule, they don't show this movie.
I'm sure the vinyl was entirely Trent's idea just to treat the rabid 0,1% of his fandom in this case. (i'd buy a CD later, but i'm not holding my breath right now).

SchwarzerAbt
10-23-2016, 06:27 AM
Have you guys considered the main trouble for Before The Flood team is the movie doesn't flop, they have to worry if there's profit from theaters?
After that, depending on profits, they might think of wider than itewnz OST release. I checked local cinema schedule, they don't show this movie.
I'm sure the vinyl was entirely Trent's idea just to treat the rabid 0,1% of his fandom in this case. (i'd buy a CD later, but i'm not holding my breath right now).

All fine and valid points. They should just communicate it at least a little bit better. That's not too difficult...

chuenthez
10-23-2016, 06:28 AM

Actually I am even wondering about the profit of this movie, will they redistribute to some "environmental cause" ? I didn't hear about it. Or maybe it's a "not-for-profit" movie.

Concerning the "PM" problem, I am ok with the Apple Music distribution, because I'm on it and for now it's enough, but I can totally understand the frustration of not having better quality files, especially when we bought the vinyl on the UK store (because yes, we still don't have the link for the download !). I would feel excluded being a huge fan who put loads of money on his work...

Anyway great OST, for me the best Trenticcus work so far (maybe because it's not only Trenticcus !)

jmtd
10-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Basically staggering amounts of self entitlement on display here. And lol the people preferring a 256kMP3 transcoded stream rip over paying for it in 256k AAC.

sweeterthan
10-23-2016, 09:19 AM
I can definitely see how the lack of communication and distribution options can be frustrating. This project has been that way from the beginning. Reznor usually goes out of his way to make his music easily available to those of us who want to hear it. But when this ST was announced, there wasn't any other info. Just that it was happening. The only way to hear it was to go to a screening. I thought this was bizarre that my favorite artist has music out there somewhere and I can't hear it immediately and no info on when I could expect to hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blassster
10-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Don't forget: Trent himself was the one who said to steal YZ, when the label was doing dumb label things with that release. Now, whatever the source of the problem, dumb things are happening with this release. Expect complaining, because even he did about his own fucking release back then.

Avarik
10-23-2016, 12:52 PM
TR & AR are in charge of the score, and he chose to not release it as a digital download on his own website. Don't make no sense for Apple to control this.

niggo
10-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Don't know how to describe what I feel when listening to At Dusk. Takes my mind to a whole different place. So dreamy, almost otherworldly.

I can't decide which one I find better, At Dusk or Before The Flood. To me they are both the best TRAR have done in a long time. Nothing on their previous scores compares to the emotional weight of those songs.

bobbie solo
10-23-2016, 06:10 PM
While there are other, less legal, ways of getting the music, not everyone wants to risk getting computer viruses or malware, just to get music.

then you're doing the internet wrong. There is zero chance of getting a virus when d/l'ing a music release these days if you read how to do it first for literally 5 minutes.

nowimnothing
10-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Back to talking about the score....

There are some real stand out tracks on it. But I still feel 'Minute to Breathe' is easily the best track. And I say that after a dozen or so listens. The score as a whole doesn't feel cohesive to me. The Mogwai tracks just seem... blah. Particularly the final track. It seems odd that they chose to dilute the score like that.

Perhaps the reason TR hasn't marketed or made this score easily available is because he simply isn't that proud of it.

niggo
10-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Perhaps the reason TR hasn't marketed or made this score easily available is because he simply isn't that proud of it.
He should be. I agree that Mogwai didn't do their best job (I like their old stuff a lot, but their last few albums weren't that great either) but that shouldn't be of Trent's concern. Again, I'm repeating myself, but I think TRAR + Santaolalla delivered something truly great here. And I would be very much surprised if Trent and Atticus weren't proud of that.

nowimnothing
10-23-2016, 08:26 PM
He should be. I agree that Mogwai didn't do their best job (I like their old stuff a lot, but their last few albums weren't that great either) but that shouldn't be of Trent's concern. Again, I'm repeating myself, but I think TRAR + Santaolalla delivered something truly great here. And I would be very much surprised if Trent and Atticus weren't proud of that.

I agree. The TR/AR and Santaolalla tracks truly are beautiful. I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

An alternative consideration may be that perhaps TR hasn't marketed this because he wants all of the attention to be on new NIN. One can only hope.

BRoswell
10-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Before The Flood is all he's talked about since it was announced last month. I'm not sure how he's NOT marketing this.

nowimnothing
10-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Before The Flood is all he's talked about since it was announced last month. I'm not sure how he's NOT marketing this.

You're not sure? Okay... Did you notice nin.com hasn't even been updated? Or the fact that no info has been provided about the release formats, avenues etc. Or perhaps that he only has one purchase option on nin.com?

I guess you see the banner adds on itunes as effective marketing, huh.

BRoswell
10-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Again, it's all he's talked about since last month. There are tons of articles out there that are either direct interviews or quotes from interviews. I'm not sure what more people want in terms of marketing, or why that somehow means he's not pleased with the album.

WorzelG
10-24-2016, 01:54 AM
I'm sure we'll hear more about it when people other than film festival or premiere attendees can actually watch the film

jmtd
10-24-2016, 06:01 AM
Don't forget: Trent himself was the one who said to steal YZ, when the label was doing dumb label things with that release. Now, whatever the source of the problem, dumb things are happening with this release. Expect complaining, because even he did about his own fucking release back then.

The situations are not even remotely comparable. Trent told Australians to steal YZ because the Aussie label was artificially inflating the price. The same product was available every else for a fair price, but not AUS. Is that what's happening here? No. It's released on iTunes, for (roughly) the same price for everyone. If you don't like iTunes, or M4A/AAC, fine. I'm no iTunes fan either. But that's a personal beef, not evil labels gouging you.

It's only been about 72 hours since the release. There's no reason to think this won't get wider availability given a bit more time. Maybe Trent has given Apple exclusivity because he works for them now. Sucks if so, but that's his call. I think it's at least as likely that there's just a hold up on other distribution channels because of some legal nonsense or other.

Complain away, I have no problem with complaints. But this weak-sauce attempt to justify having a moral imperative to steal it because you can't buy it from Amazon or whatever other mega-corporation to whom you've sworn allegiance is bollocks.

Twiggy
10-24-2016, 06:39 AM
I'm listening to the Preview All on iTunes for the moment. Would like to hear more.
Will see if a Europe Vinyl release appears.

ninjaw
10-24-2016, 09:11 AM
The situations are not even remotely comparable. Trent told Australians to steal YZ because the Aussie label was artificially inflating the price. The same product was available every else for a fair price, but not AUS. Is that what's happening here? No. It's released on iTunes, for (roughly) the same price for everyone. If you don't like iTunes, or M4A/AAC, fine. I'm no iTunes fan either. But that's a personal beef, not evil labels gouging you.

Yup ! Medias always forget that AUS very located statement , let's do not make that easy error as a fan.

niggo
10-24-2016, 10:35 AM
So, how did you guys tag the tracks by Trenticulalla™? I'm going with "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross & Gustavo Santaolalla", but seems like I'm the only one doing that.

witte
10-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Just received the link for the digital download. FYI, I ordered the vinyl.

edit: received also this message from 'bandstore': ""Hi there,

I regret to inform that there have been delays on the digital downloads, due to this weekends DNS attacks.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.""

simonn
10-24-2016, 11:37 AM
So, how did you guys tag the tracks by Trenticulalla™? I'm going with "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross & Gustavo Santaolalla", but seems like I'm the only one doing that.

Nope, exactly how I've done it.

Deadpool
10-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Nope, exactly how I've done it.

Me, too... at least on the songs where TR and AR's names come first. I'm assuming you guys are using that one, single tag regardless of the order their names appear? I truly wonder if the order of the names is arbitrary, and if it's not, I'd love to hear more about that.

The main edit I've made to the tagging is replacing the ampersand between TR and AR with an "and"...

Still haven't listened to the album – will do so later today – need to make sure I'm pleased with the tagging before scrobbling/listening :)

chuenthez
10-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Just received the link for the digital download. FYI, I ordered the vinyl.

edit: received also this message from 'bandstore': ""Hi there,

I regret to inform that there have been delays on the digital downloads, due to this weekends DNS attacks.

I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.""

The same. But those are 320kbps MP3...
I would have expected some HD/CD quality files. Again, on the UK store, we never got to choose between MP3 and WAV. So, kinda frustrated. I contacted the bandstore to know more about it.

arsenic
10-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Actually I am even wondering about the profit of this movie, will they redistribute to some "environmental cause" ? I didn't hear about it. Or maybe it's a "not-for-profit" movie.

here's the answer to that question (this was just posted on Dicaprio's facebook page):

Proud to announce that #BeforetheFlood (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/beforetheflood?source=feed_text&story_id=10153887390402116) will be available to stream for free on October 30th! Fisher Stevens and I set out to create a film that would educate people on the urgent issues of #climatechange (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/climatechange?source=feed_text&story_id=10153887390402116) and inspire them to be part of a solution. We applaud National Geographic Channel (https://www.facebook.com/NGCasia/)’s commitment to bringing this film to as many people as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/LeonardoDiCaprio/videos/10153887390402116/

simonn
10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Me, too... at least on the songs where TR and AR's names come first. I'm assuming you guys are using that one, single tag regardless of the order their names appear? I truly wonder if the order of the names is arbitrary, and if it's not, I'd love to hear more about that.

The main edit I've made to the tagging is replacing the ampersand between TR and AR with an "and"...

Still haven't listened to the album – will do so later today – need to make sure I'm pleased with the tagging before scrobbling/listening :)

Yes, I was that sad too when I got a copy of the album!

ninjaw
10-24-2016, 03:07 PM
here's the answer to that question (this was just posted on Dicaprio's facebook page):

More strange : some french fan told me that they will air a french dubbed version, and offer a french subtitle version on Dailymotion.com ! (but limited in time ? )
EDit: that is confirmed

arsenic
10-24-2016, 05:56 PM
the full soundtrack is being uploaded to soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross) right now (source: reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/5971nc/before_the_flood_soundtrack_full_album_updating/)).

blassster
10-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Hey buds, had some time to cool off. I was pissed about the thing: apologies for further derailing discussion of the actual music here.

Going to wait to see if the lossless one becomes available on its own later, and in the meantime if it becomes available to stream in other places I'll check it out. Sometimes you just need to step away, even if you disagree with what is happening, and I should have done so earlier.

Edit: bad timing for me... The above post!

cashpiles (closed)
10-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Back to talking about the score....

There are some real stand out tracks on it. But I still feel 'Minute to Breathe' is easily the best track. And I say that after a dozen or so listens. The score as a whole doesn't feel cohesive to me. The Mogwai tracks just seem... blah. Particularly the final track. It seems odd that they chose to dilute the score like that.

Mogwai's output over the last fee years has been very bland. I'd argue the same case for Trent and Atticus's music, to a lesser degree. Put them together and it's no surprise that you're getting a dull soundtrack.

somewhat_
10-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Nothing too exciting to me on here. I'm sure it serves the purpose of the film well, but for me personally, maybe I'm just getting burned out on all the scores. And that's ok... looking forward to what new NIN brings

xfocalinx
10-24-2016, 09:07 PM
8 Billion is amazing.

noneofthem
10-25-2016, 01:21 AM
I finally received my download link and I fucking love every second of the score. The best score by Atticus and Trent so far.

simonn
10-25-2016, 02:59 AM
I see the documentary is on UK TV on Sunday on National Geographic. 9pm.

witte
10-25-2016, 05:26 AM
i don't know if it's mentioned before. i hear some sax on amtb/aml. i wonder if it's trent playing it. ;)

ninjaw
10-25-2016, 05:35 AM
France: guide TV and official website confirm TWICE in a row the doc on sunday (?), also played at the same time on second channel. It has been confirmed a 7 day dailymotion video with subbed french, airing should be dubbed french. (channel is free on Free.fr ISP so we can easily save it on a file)

chuenthez
10-25-2016, 05:48 AM
I received the answer about better quality files on bandstore UK:
"Unfortunately the MP3 files are the only ones that we have available.

I am sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."
Yay...

ninjaw
10-25-2016, 05:58 AM
I received the answer about better quality files on bandstore UK:
"Unfortunately the MP3 files are the only ones that we have available.
I am sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused."
Yay...

As it was clearly printed on the website .... now I guess we can call it a very bad way of selling an album

Twiggy
10-25-2016, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the soundcloud link ;)

botley
10-25-2016, 09:06 AM
I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

An alternative consideration may be that perhaps TR hasn't marketed this because he wants all of the attention to be on new NIN. One can only hope.
This interview would belie all that (http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/green-life/musician-and-composer-trent-reznor-talks-about-flood).

nowimnothing
10-25-2016, 09:31 AM
I would doubt TR would openly say anything about the project that isn't positive. Besides, public and private opinions can differ, just as personal and professional opinions can.

In any case, all I stated was pure speculation. I don't pretend to know what the man is thinking. That said, my opinion pertaining to the lack of cohesion is just as valid as any other.

cashpiles (closed)
10-25-2016, 10:08 AM
It's just so cliche... "Oh Mogwai did that birth of the atom bomb documentary and Trent and Atticus did the NASA thing. Let's throw them together to make a bland soundtrack about global warming."

EDIT: And after reading Botley's story link, it makes perfect sense as to why this is so cliche. This collaboration was Trent and Atticus' idea. Jesus.

eversonpoe
10-25-2016, 10:24 AM
I agree. The TR/AR and Santaolalla tracks truly are beautiful. I just think the Mogwai add on was unnecessary and actually detracts from the score. With TR/AR being the main drive behind the soundtrack, perhaps they are disappointed with the lack of cohesion as a result of the collaboration. Unfortunately, I know I am. I listen to Dragon Tattoo / Social Network / Gone Girl on constant rotation - and usually from start to finish. I just don't know if I can enjoy this one in the same way, which is a shame.

Mogwai's output over the last fee years has been very bland. I'd argue the same case for Trent and Atticus's music, to a lesser degree. Put them together and it's no surprise that you're getting a dull soundtrack.

i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i listened to the score without paying any attention to who did which tracks (especially because the MP3 download didn't come with that info, or even with the tracks numbered except IN the track titles :mad:) and it felt perfectly cohesive and extremely compelling. i literally don't even know which tracks mogwai did and i enjoyed the whole score (though Thin Ice Reimagined was probably my favorite).

i listen to gone girl & TGWTDT pretty regularly, but i think this is my new favorite.

also, mogwai's last few albums & EPs have been beautiful and exciting. no, they don't get quite as LOUD as they used to, but their music is still interesting and has a great amount of emotional depth, despite being mostly instrumental.

theruiner
10-25-2016, 11:24 AM
^^I haven't heard a lot of Mogwai but their score for "The Returned" was awesome, so hearing that they're on board made me a lot more intrigued to listen to this. Still haven't had the chance to, but hopefully at some point soon.

Reznor2112
10-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Shocked to see so many negative comments about Mogwai...

Dust Bowl is one of my favorite tracks. And I have to say I have been diggin the last 3-4 albums they have put out.

Funny enough, minus the GS songs, this album sounds like a Alessandro Cortini album.

Least favorite track is by far "A Minute to Breathe". Feels awkward following Before The Flood.

Lastly, One Perfect Moment (at the 2:20 mark) is ALMOST a direct copy of Music For Airports by Eno. Not a ripoff...but VERY similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwYtllyt3Q

BRoswell
10-25-2016, 12:34 PM
I forgot to chime in on what I thought of the score after listening to it. I found it quite beautiful, though I'm not sure where it would rank with the other scores they've done, especially since it's not just Trent and Atticus' work. Need to listen to it a few more times to know where I really stand.

implanted_microchip
10-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Wanting to give it a couple listens, see it in context with the documentary to really form my opinions, but so far I've found myself really hoping Gustavo contributes something to the next NIN record. I was a huge Last of Us fan and found the idea of him working with Trent exciting on paper, but in practice it's even better than I could have guessed. Their styles seemed to blend very well into one another.

I think the big reason why the Mogwai stuff seems so lesser is that it feels like it was made in a separate bubble -- overall this lacks as much of the cohesion as other soundtracks TR&AR have done but I suppose that's to be expected with something featuring three different teams. That said, when it gets more electronic, it tends to shine a bit brighter than when it's more totally ambient and loop-centric.

I don't know how much I'll find myself listening to stuff from this on its own in the future -- I really dabble at best with the score work and most of the time that I consider listening to all of it I think "Why shouldn't I just watch the movie then?" since I like all the Fincher films they've worked on. Social network is still the most everyday listenable of them, Dragon Tattoo is the most stuffed and in turn has some of the best individual selections and Gone Girl is the creepiest and generally most "cinematic" feeling to me, it seems to tap much deeper into narrative through sound than the others. Before the Flood is ... well, exactly what I expected: incredibly sad in a way that's too pretty to turn off. It's not the kind of stuff I can see myself wanting to put on in the background to score my life, I'm sad enough most of the time already, haha.

That said there is some stuff here that I really think shows how much TR&AR have grown together and the work with Gustavo seems to offer a freshness to the formula that I've been wanting for a long time. Gustavo's love of strings really brings out a layer of emotion that I've found lacking in some of their stuff and I've always wanted more of Trent with strings, so, it's pretty perfect to me. I could see myself shelling out for the vinyl just for those songs alone (At Dusk is absolutely beautiful and feels like The Last of Us fell into bed with Dragon Tattoo).

buckaroo
10-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Least favorite track is by far "A Minute to Breathe". Feels awkward following Before The Flood.

I love the track, but totally agree that the placement seems odd. Better closing track in my opinion.

Lastentrance
10-25-2016, 04:48 PM
I love the track, but totally agree that the placement seems odd. Better closing track in my opinion.

Agreed. I think the album is spectacular, especially the TR&AR+GS pieces.

The suite of 8 Billion, One Perfect Moment into A Minute Later is something to behold... Exquisite sad music, slowly building into a sense of hope. The textures in Before The Flood, Between Two Poles and Trembling are stunning - especially the addition of Santaolalla's guitar work. I genuinely think the whole album is fantastic, it would just work better with AMTB maybe as a bonus track rather than as track 2.

liquidcalm
10-25-2016, 05:29 PM
the biggest surprise to me is how much the Mogwai tracks sound like TR+AR compositions, very restrained compared to a lot of their stuff. Not to say its bad, I find it hard to review soundtrack albums on their own merits, mostly because they are to suit a very specific purpose. However this does make soundtracks great to work too and this is up there with Social Network as my favourite one TR+AR have been involved in. Gustavo's guitar and strings really bring a lot as the synth/piano compositions do tend to make the other soundtracks sound a little flat when taken as a whole, so yeah. I think this is the best one yet actually.

piggy
10-25-2016, 11:32 PM
I just found more info about a wider digital release:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161024006285/en/National-Geographic-Channel-Announces-Unprecedented-Historic-Global

"The soundtrack is currently available exclusively at Apple and will be available at all digital retailers and streaming services on October 28th."

cashpiles (closed)
10-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Listening to this thing on soundcloud. Some tracks really stand out. Great stuff. I look forward to hearing it in the film.

neorev
10-26-2016, 12:24 AM
I can say this, it definitely sounds like Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. As much as I wanna like it, I dunno, I feel like I heard this all before.

imail724
10-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Funny enough, minus the GS songs, this album sounds like a Alessandro Cortini album. I thought the exact same thing during a few tracks. Maybe it was one in particular, but I can't remember which.

bobbie solo
10-26-2016, 10:50 AM
I just found more info about a wider digital release:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161024006285/en/National-Geographic-Channel-Announces-Unprecedented-Historic-Global

"The soundtrack is currently available exclusively at Apple and will be available at all digital retailers and streaming services on October 28th."

Good thing this info was out there & readily, easily available by reading....Business Wire.

So is it safe to say that this info has been purposefully held back to try & get people to sign up with Apple to get it right away?

arsenic
10-26-2016, 11:07 AM
I thought the exact same thing during a few tracks. Maybe it was one in particular, but I can't remember which.

After The Flood (the last song).
At first I thought "ah, this must be a TR+AR track and Alessandro must definitely have contributed". But then as the song progressed I started to have doubts, I checked and in fact it was Mogwai. I also get some M83 vibes from the second part of the song.

neorev
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Good thing this info was out there & readily, easily available by reading....Business Wire.

So is it safe to say that this info has been purposefully held back to try & get people to sign up with Apple to get it right away?

Yup, I'd say so. Let's give exclusive early download rights to the company that wants to abolish digital downloads.

Deadpool
10-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Finally listened to this album late last night. Wanted to write down my first impressions before I start listening endlessly.

-Mogwai material felt entirely consistent w/ everything else, which I wasn't expecting.
-"Ghost Nets", much to my surprise, was an immediate highlight.
-I loved how TR and AR essentially covered Gustavo with "Thin Ice Reimagined" which I thought was a beautiful extension & reimagining.
-"8 Billion" blew me away almost instantly. I was surprised when I went to see which artist it was and it was solely Trent and Atticus. Again, I've only had once full listen of the album, but this track struck me as one of the pair's absolute best.

I'm very excited to dive deeper into this soundtrack. It feels like perfect Fall/Winter music, and will certainly help with the sometimes tough transition between seasons.

Props to Trent and Atticus for reaching outside their comfort zone to find creatively satisfying collaborators. I know they tried a similar scenario with Hesitation Marks, but I'm very happy it worked out this time.

WorzelG
10-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Finally listened to this album late last night. Wanted to write down my first impressions before I start listening endlessly.

-Mogwai material felt entirely consistent w/ everything else, which I wasn't expecting.
-"Ghost Nets", much to my surprise, was an immediate highlight.
-I loved how TR and AR essentially covered Gustavo with "Thin Ice Reimagined" which I thought was a beautiful extension & reimagining.
-"8 Billion" blew me away almost instantly. I was surprised when I went to see which artist it was and it was solely Trent and Atticus. Again, I've only had once full listen of the album, but this track struck me as one of the pair's absolute best.

I'm very excited to dive deeper into this soundtrack. It feels like perfect Fall/Winter music, and will certainly help with the sometimes tough transition between seasons.

Props to Trent and Atticus for reaching outside their comfort zone to find creatively satisfying collaborators. I know they tried a similar scenario with Hesitation Marks, but I'm very happy it worked out this time.

Ditto on the 8 Billion love. The minimal piano goes through my mind a lot and when I listen again to the song I find I've added a note for some reason

eversonpoe
10-26-2016, 06:00 PM

Listening to this thing on soundcloud. Some tracks really stand out. Great stuff. I look forward to hearing it in the film.

i'm so confused. weren't you complaining about it the other day? saying it was boring and predictable?

Leviathant
10-26-2016, 08:57 PM
i'm so confused. weren't you complaining about it the other day? saying it was boring and predictable?

Ah, I see you and cashpiles haven't met.

SchwarzerAbt
10-27-2016, 11:57 AM
I just discovered a Before the Flood CD version at the german Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01M4O525V/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?__mk_de_DE=MZ&qid=1477583766&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=CB192558960_AA75_QL70&keywords=trent+reznor+before+the+flood

SchwarzerAbt
10-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I just discovered a Before the Flood CD version at the german Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B01M4O525V/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?__mk_de_DE=MZ&qid=1477583766&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=CB192558960_AA75_QL70&keywords=trent+reznor+before+the+flood

By "Reznor Reznor" and two other artists. Don't know if it's legit... :D

TheBang
10-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Well, here's the US listing. Dec. 16 release date on Lakeshore Records.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4O525V

PhoenixML
10-27-2016, 02:47 PM
The Social Network was the only soundtrack I "could" listen to (from TR&AR). The others just never seem to fit the right mood to listen to, or lack of motivation, or it didn't stand out enough has "great music to listen to without the actual movie".

I like this one, not much to say beyond that. A Minute to Breathe is not spectacular, but I just keep listening to it "because it's Trent Reznor".

SchwarzerAbt
10-27-2016, 02:59 PM

That's good. Thanks to the inavailability of the album outside of the apple universe I held back from buying it digitally. It's good to have the physical release announced right in time before the (rumored) wide release of the digital files tomorrow. Now I will order the CD (and maybe use auto-rip in advance of actually geting it). Looks like there will be a happy end for me to this mess of a record release after all. ;)

kargath
10-27-2016, 03:21 PM

$30 for a CD? Are we back in the 80s?

ninjaw
10-27-2016, 03:28 PM

Did the vinyls cost $40 in the 80s?

Reznor2112
10-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Dammit...still no vinyl outside of NIN.com...

Ryan
10-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Does anyone have a list of tempos for the tracks TRAR are on to add here?

http://www.nin.wiki/List_Of_BPM_Rates#Before_The_Flood_Soundtrack

arsenic
10-27-2016, 06:27 PM
a new clip, in which you can hear some of the soundtrack (it sounds a little different from the album).
Very nice to have Elon Musk, Tesla and TR+AR in the same video : )

https://electrek.co/2016/10/27/leonardo-dicaprio-tours-tesla-gigafactory-elon-musk-new-video/

simonn
10-28-2016, 03:04 AM

Due to its length, it'll be a double cd, but that's still steep. Amazon UK now have mp3 download at 7.99. So 3 cheaper than what Apple were charging a week ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-Flood-Music-Motion-Picture/dp/B01MPX5E34/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1477637984&sr=8-3&keywords=before+the+flood+reznor

And it's now up on Spotify in the UK. A lot of arguing could have been saved if they'd just announced this was going to be the strategy all along...

ninjaw
10-28-2016, 03:19 AM
10€ in france https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MDQSN0M
but i think we all want a cd ?

simonn
10-28-2016, 03:36 AM
10€ in france https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01MDQSN0M
but i think we all want a cd ?

My preference, certainly.

Have just spotted that the chords in At Dusk are the same as in the guitary bit of Before The Flood.....

chuenthez
10-28-2016, 04:43 AM
Does people who ordered the vinyl on the US store get 24/48 files ?
Cannot find it anywhere (and I consider I deserve it as I ordered the vinyl also, but in the UK store).

niggo
10-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Does people who ordered the vinyl on the US store get 24/48 files ?
Cannot find it anywhere (and I consider I deserve it as I ordered the vinyl also, but in the UK store).
There was an email by someone from the UK office that stated that you only get MP3 files from the UK store. Pretty shitty.

chuenthez
10-28-2016, 04:51 AM
There was an email by someone from the UK office that stated that you only get MP3 files from the UK store. Pretty shitty.
Yes I know ;) That's why I'm asking if our american friends were luckier...

niggo
10-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Oh, damn, sorry! Got that wrong.

Yeah, I believe they have more luck. :(

Substance242
10-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Bought on Google Play for 9,49 € including 1,58 € tax (Slovakia), downloaded (!), 222.4 MB of 320 kbps mp3.

So, should I have my first listen here at work on crappy headphones... nah, I can wait till evening, bed and darkness. :-)

Lastentrance
10-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Shocked to see so many negative comments about Mogwai...

Dust Bowl is one of my favorite tracks. And I have to say I have been diggin the last 3-4 albums they have put out.

Funny enough, minus the GS songs, this album sounds like a Alessandro Cortini album.

Lastly, One Perfect Moment (at the 2:20 mark) is ALMOST a direct copy of Music For Airports by Eno. Not a ripoff...but VERY similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwYtllyt3Q

Yeah. Huge Eno influence on all of this.

simonn
10-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Yep, I have to say, I like the Mogwai stuff, apart from Huaynaputina. They could almost be Reznor/Ross songs, shimmying keyboards, not in any hurry, good production. Not sure if they produced their own stuff actually, or if Reznor/Ross as score supervisors were responsible for that side of things too? All the Santaolalla is very good too, don't find myself ever even considering forwarding those tracks.

ninjaw
10-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Amazon france announce a cd for 16dec
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01M4O525V

kargath
10-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Yes I know ;) That's why I'm asking if our american friends were luckier...
Yes, we had the choice for 24/48 wav or the 320kbps mp3 download. Earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot of the download link (obscured) that I received.

chuenthez
10-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Yes, we had the choice for 24/48 wav or the 320kbps mp3 download. Earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot of the download link (obscured) that I received.

That's what i was afraid of. So we basically paid for the same thing, from the same link (nin.com redirects directly to the UK or US store depending on location)... But we have less than the US customers. That's a huge miss. (But at least we will receive the vinyl for a decent price...)

witte
10-28-2016, 04:55 PM
by the way, just fyi, the complete album is dropped on spotify right now.

arsenic
10-30-2016, 09:12 AM
you can now watch BTF:

https://www.beforetheflood.com/screenings/

arsenic
10-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Unreleased track at 51.23? I'm still watching it, there might be more

https://youtu.be/90CkXVF-Q8M?t=51m23s

Substance242
10-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Listened on headphones yesterday, went asleep for unknown amount of time :-) but enjoyed, now it is playing on my 5.1 in "6 channel stereo" mode (tried Neo:6 Music, DPL2 Music, did not work good) and right now At Dusk is amazing... I have ID3 tags displayed (no need to change them, good enough right from Google Play) so I know now, but in the dark yesterday I had no idea who did what.

Also, downloading the movie from youtube right now... (I am just not streaming person, if such thing exists...)

WorzelG
10-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Check out this tweet from Invada records indicating there will be a CD
https://twitter.com/invadauk/status/792738395026026496

thevoid99
10-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Also, downloading the movie from youtube right now... (I am just not streaming person, if such thing exists...)

And it does. I don't stream either.

xfocalinx
10-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Amazing movie. Really glad trent got involved with this.

ninjaw
10-31-2016, 04:11 AM
As said before, here come the dailymotion that include french ou turkish optionnal subtitles (you can rip it easily)
http://dai.ly/x4yfbbt

chuenthez
10-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Just to be sure and noticing the unfairness of the absence of lossless format in the UK store while available in the US, I received this message :

Hello there,

Unfortunately these are the only files we have been provided with and will not be getting any other format for the files.

I understand that this seems unfair however we cannot change the format we were given.

If it comes to our attention that we will be receiving higher formats I will inform you right away.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused for you.

So it is really the fact that whoever is in charge did not send the lossless file to the store... Weird.
(And getting a bit worried on not finding the 24/48 anywhere in the dark world)

cahernandez
10-31-2016, 08:32 AM
Dammit, the soundtrack is so good (I was a bit afraid after reading some of the comments in this thread) that it now makes me want to get the vinyl, but it is pricey. Folks, do you think that Amazon will get it at a lower price (the vinyl itself)? I know the shipping will be cheaper with them.

Jon
10-31-2016, 10:14 AM
I did not listen to any of the soundtrack before watching the film itself. The context for my opinion is in listening while watching the documentary.

Moody, atmospheric, excellent. There are many times that I thought of Lustmord, where a drone can sink you to the lowest lows or elevate you to the pinnacle of happiness. I did not have the feeling this was clich or redundant. I'm not personally sure how one could hear these melodies, accompanied by gorgeous cinematography, and not be almost completely in awe. This is a documentary, but should be viewed like a film (big screen + your concentration).

The wrap-up where DiCaprio is talking about the final panel of Bosch's painting and the music builds until the credits gave me goosebumps.

Substance242
10-31-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm just smiling internally at my silly idea "soundtrack: Before the Flood, produced by: Flood"... forgive me. ;-) Going to watch the documentary tonite.

implanted_microchip
10-31-2016, 02:46 PM
So, it' a little odd -- after seeing the doc, I found that the music wasn't half as stand-out in the film rather than in isolation. It all worked just fine, but it didn't really "pop" in the way it does in all their Fincher collabs. I get that it was an information-based movie and so there were few lulls of silence, but it was pretty strange to notice. I enjoyed it greatly (thought the film was overall fantastic) but might see this becoming one of my most-listened to scores of theirs simply because I think if I wanna take the music in, I'd rather hear it alone, whereas something like Dragon Tattoo, I can put that film on to enjoy the music along with it because it all blends so well into a bizarre gigantic music video of sorts.

chuenthez
10-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Good news everyone ! (Well, the one who ordered the Vinyl on the UK store)

I finally got the WAV 24/48 download: I just contacted the US store (email adress here: https://store.nin.com/pages/faq) and told them about the situation (no WAV files for the UK customers etc...) and add my order summary from when I ordered the vinyl, and I receive a link from them to download it (careful, only 3 downloads possible).

TheBang
10-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Announcement about the soundtrack on LP and CD was supposed to go out via Invada Records newsletter today. Did anyone subscribe to the newsletter?

Ryan
10-31-2016, 09:19 PM
no lol
tenchars

Arcspiral
10-31-2016, 11:45 PM
Yeah. Invada is doing a co-release with Lakeshore for the Digital and CD in the States. They said that vinyl information would be announced shortly.

cashpiles (closed)
11-01-2016, 01:21 AM
Was I the only one cracking up about the music playing during the methane gas from cow farts segment of the film? Like it must have been hard for Trent and co. to keep straight faces when they were coming up with the music for that part... and in context the music sounds kind of comical.

kdrcraig
11-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Amazon says the CD is coming Dec. 16

witte
11-01-2016, 01:01 PM
there are other remixes from the songs on the movie comparing to the album. it'll be a good thing to get the fyc cd ost.
by the way: the movie contains a few interesting theories.

https://www.beforetheflood.com/screenings/
from twitter.....

kargath
11-01-2016, 02:16 PM
For those of you downloading streams..which did you grab? I've grabbed two so far and the YouTube 1080p is at a lower bitrate (2000kbps @23fps) than the NGC 720p steam (2500 @30fps)

Both have similar stereo audio

Just want to make sure I grab the best quality version before watching. Ideally 1080p, 5.1 audio and at a decent bitrate.

cahernandez
11-01-2016, 03:04 PM
there are other remixes from the songs on the movie comparing to the album. it'll be a good thing to get the fyc cd ost.
by the way: the movie contains a few interesting theories.

which theories are you referring to?

ninjaw
11-01-2016, 03:09 PM
For those of you downloading streams..which did you grab? I've grabbed two so far and the YouTube 1080p is at a lower bitrate (2000kbps @23fps) than the NGC 720p steam (2500 @30fps)

Both have similar stereo audio

Just want to make sure I grab the best quality version before watching. Ideally 1080p, 5.1 audio and at a decent bitrate.

So, dailymotion obviously, as it's the only one with subs... and huge : 6000kbps 25fps 4.3GB

witte
11-01-2016, 03:27 PM
watch the movie and you'll see ;)

simonn
11-01-2016, 06:01 PM

I found the one 1/2lb burger = 42 miles in a (iirc) Prius etc both bonkers and scary at the same time.

kargath
11-01-2016, 09:14 PM
So, dailymotion obviously, as it's the only one with subs... and huge : 6000kbps 25fps 4.3GB
Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

I just noticed there's a 1080p DD5.1 web-dl floating around, but it's only about 2.2gb.

Is the dailymotion stream in surround?

cahernandez
11-01-2016, 09:38 PM
watch the movie and you'll see ;)

I watched the movie, and I didn't see anything earth shattering. Granted, I'm a Climate Change teacher at a University, so I was pretty familiar with most things that were presented. That's why I was wondering about the theories you are referring to.

xfocalinx
11-02-2016, 12:11 AM
anybody else hear similarities to "Juno" in "Trembling" ?

Substance242
11-02-2016, 03:39 AM
OK, so the documentary was OK, but I am used to BBC Horizon series, so nothing that much interesting.

Regarding "8 Bilion" and some not-thinking-much people, my mind came up with "A just need, a minute to breed..."

Also, the soundtrack is OK, but in no way can it be compared to real soundtracks like TGWTDT. This is just a weekend hobby by-product.

fillow
11-02-2016, 06:07 AM
Watched it yesterday. So this is basically a new version of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, which I saw just a week before this film's announcement by coincidence.

cahernandez
11-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I hadn't been listening to a TR+AR soundtrack as much as when Social Network OST came out...it's so good! I think TR+AR really benefitted from bringing outsiders into their creative process. Dammit, I need the vinyl, but it's 55 USD with shipping. I'll probably bite the bullet in December, as a Christmas present for myself.

My TR+AR score ranking would be:
1. Social Network
2. Before the Flood
3. TGWTDT
4. Gone Girl

thefragile_jake
11-02-2016, 11:36 AM
So far from listening to this....the most interesting moments have come from Mogwai.

witte
11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I watched the movie, and I didn't see anything earth shattering. Granted, I'm a Climate Change teacher at a University, so I was pretty familiar with most things that were presented. That's why I was wondering about the theories you are referring to.
not partically the technical aspect, i mean, but more the game important people play, the self critical leonardo, that indian woman who is very critical to the us etc etc.
overall it's good to let 'usual/normal' people watch this movie. not everybody is a CC-teacher ;)

cahernandez
11-02-2016, 12:08 PM
not partically the technical aspect, i mean, but more the game important people play, the self critical leonardo, that indian woman who is very critical to the us etc etc.
overall it's good to let 'usual/normal' people watch this movie. not everybody is a CC-teacher ;)

No worries dude, I do have to say that the moment with the Indian woman was very interesting, one of the best in the film. If I remember correctly, Leo DiCaprio says something like “we have the (clean) tech available so it’s now a matter of making this happen” and then Indian lady says “yes, that is available but you have to change’s people attitudes about this issue, you can have all the renewable energy in the world but if people’s consumption patterns do not change, nothing will change” and then DiCaprio DOWNPLAYS her answer and I said out loud something like “Really, DiCaprio? (facepalm)”…I fully agree with the lady there, it’s a matter of people’s behavior.

Papagolash
11-02-2016, 03:05 PM
Who is that singing on the track? Because it does not sound like Trent to me, unless he modified his voice to sound completely different like he did on that one HTDA track where he sounds like Phil Collins.

BRoswell
11-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Who is that singing on the track? Because it does not sound like Trent to me, unless he modified his voice to sound completely different like he did on that one HTDA track where he sounds like Phil Collins.

Which track? "A Minute To Breathe"? It's definitely Trent.

Bachy
11-02-2016, 04:15 PM

I'm more interested in finding out what HTDA track is being referred to in which Trent supposedly sounds like Phil Collins.

BRoswell
11-02-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm more interested in finding out what HTDA track is being referred to in which Trent supposedly sounds like Phil Collins.

Most likely referring to "Is Your Love Strong Enough?". I remember a few people saying that when it was first released.

Bachy
11-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Most likely referring to "Is Your Love Strong Enough?". I remember a few people saying that when it was first released.

Oh, I suppose if you squint your ears.

thevoid99
11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I just saw the film. I thought it was really good and insightful about the dangers of climate change as there is something we can do. The problem is that we're dealing with a bunch of greedy corporate businessman who don't believe nor care about the issue as they're just concerned about taking your fucking money. Leo was excellent in this as I also liked the score a lot though I'm still not up in arms about the song that Trent sings. The lyrics aren't so great.

Papagolash
11-02-2016, 09:07 PM

The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.

WorzelG
11-03-2016, 02:43 AM
^^^he did say he was singing in a different register to what he's used to but I still don't get how you can not recognise it's him

Ryan
11-03-2016, 09:37 AM
The only time I hear it is during the "nah nah naahh nah nahh" and background "ooohhhh" parts, otherwise it doesn't sound like him to me at all. It only occured to me last night that it could be him when I didn't see another person credited on the song.

And yes the HTDA song is "Is Your Love Strong Enough?", that's totally Phil Collins singing.

The song that closes the film, "A Minute to Breathe," (https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.2115d430-8ca5-11e6-b213-558fe71a10a8) is very much channeling that same kind of emotion. It’s jarringly beautiful and vulnerable at the same time.

That was written specifically for the film. About a third of the way through the compositional process for scoring the film, it started as kind of a private challenge to see if I could write a song with lyrics that would fit this in the right kind of way, that is not overly direct, or ridiculously on point—that could tie in in a way that feels authentic, that could live on its own as a piece of music but fits well in the context of this film. I’ve written some music for films in the past, pop songs that fit in the general theme of what the music is about, back in the '90s when there were compilation soundtrack records. But this felt a lot more naked. Atticus and I spent a few weeks on it. We hadn’t collaborated on vocal music since the last Nine Inch Nails record. It was uncomfortable. I was singing in a register I had never sung in before. There was nowhere really to hide.

I didn’t mention to Fisher that I was doing it because I figured if it ends up sucking no one needs to know we even tried. But we ended up feeling pretty good about it and told him, hey, we’ve written a song and at your discretion, if you think it’ll fit somewhere, we’d be proud to have it involved, and it worked out the way it did.

ninjaw
11-03-2016, 09:46 AM
No one hysterically laffed seeing the stoned pope trying to care about something else that counting miracles after death... who the fuck cares about the biggest fucking guru on earth !? That must be an american movie.

ninjaw
11-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the tip.
I just noticed there's a 1080p DD5.1 web-dl floating around, but it's only about 2.2gb.
Is the dailymotion stream in surround?

Sorry havent found time to check yet didnt even tought this was possible

witte
11-03-2016, 12:30 PM

cynical or stupid. time to close this topic? pissed....

ninjaw
11-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Sorry havent found time to check yet didnt even tought this was possible

Dailymotion is stereo, plz note they always claimed they will erase it in 7 days

Reznor2112
11-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Enjoyed the doc quite a bit. Favorite part was the lead in with Bosch's painting with Leo's VO...and that crossfade into the dark stormy sky as the Nat Geo title came up combined with the music...GOOSEBUMPS.

Currently I am working on a Change.org page to get "A Minute To Breathe" to be the last goddamn song on the vinyl release! Bugs the ever loving shit out me being track #2.

eversonpoe
11-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Enjoyed the doc quite a bit. Favorite part was the lead in with Bosch's painting with Leo's VO...and that crossfade into the dark stormy sky as the Nat Geo title came up combined with the music...GOOSEBUMPS.

Currently I am working on a Change.org page to get "A Minute To Breathe" to be the last goddamn song on the vinyl release! Bugs the ever loving shit out me being track #2.

i hate to break it to you but if the vinyl is being released in january, the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...unless you were trying to be funny?

BenAkenobi
11-04-2016, 02:59 AM

Currently I am working on a Change.org page...

Your love isn't strong enough, is it?

Ryan
11-04-2016, 03:12 AM
i hate to break it to you but if the vinyl is being released in january, the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...unless you were trying to be funny?

I kinda think it'd be more impactful as a closing track as well, like Is Your Love Strong Enough.

It does close the film, after all. Why not the OST?

totom
11-04-2016, 08:24 AM
Here is the 5.1 mix of "A Minute to Breathe" from the 1080 WebRip (extracted with MKV toolnix), I kept the last two words of Leo (out of luck as I just cut the video a few seconds before the beginning of the end credits as a safety, so we're sure the version is complete).

https://mega.nz/#!5YFHTACZ!0pFeUVeeoebHKzZCZJ_8p1ObkjHd1WLz9UyCAZV b8d8

Please re-upload it some place else instead of copy-paste this link if you want to share this outside the forum.

witte
11-04-2016, 11:15 AM
.... the test pressings have already been done, and they're not going to be changing anything...
did you see one?

eversonpoe
11-04-2016, 03:57 PM
did you see one?

no, but i've gotten several records pressed in the last few years and i know how the process works and how much time things take.

Deepvoid
11-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Just finished the movie. I thought the music complemented a nice fashion, the movie but clearly didn't have the same impact it would have normally had on a work of fiction. Music helps boost and elevate emotions convey by a particular scene. Here, it served more as a background music. Still, it was enjoyable.

botley
11-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Here is the 5.1 mix of "A Minute to Breathe" from the 1080 WebRip (extracted with MKV toolnix), I kept the last two words of Leo (out of luck as I just cut the video a few seconds before the beginning of the end credits as a safety, so we're sure the version is complete).

https://mega.nz/#!5YFHTACZ!0pFeUVeeoebHKzZCZJ_8p1ObkjHd1WLz9UyCAZV b8d8

Please re-upload it some place else instead of copy-paste this link if you want to share this outside the forum.

Thanks for this... it's nice to hear, especially outside of a film festival screening context where the subtle, quiet credits sequence had to compete with the sounds of seats slapping against headrests and shuffling feet in a big cavernous theatre.

Bachy
11-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Now I don't know with the amount of artists involved if this will be elligible for Best Score come Oscar time. However, I do believe "A Minute To Breathe" could be eligible for Best Original Song.

WorzelG
11-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Now I don't know with the amount of artists involved if this will be elligible for Best Score come Oscar time. However, I do believe "A Minute To Breathe" could be eligible for Best Original Song.

If Sam fucking Smith can win, it would be a travesty if it wasn't nominated, although I don't know the competition. Just think, we could have President Trump by then, terrifying thought.
(Actually is this documentary even eligible for Oscars. Has it been released in any cinema?)

Deepvoid
11-07-2016, 01:00 PM
If Sam fucking Smith can win, it would be a travesty if it wasn't nominated, although I don't know the competition. Just think, we could have President Trump by then, terrifying thought.
(Actually is this documentary even eligible for Oscars. Has it been released in any cinema?)

It is eligible. It is one of the 145 documentaries (http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/oscars-2017-145-documentaries-submitted-academy-awards-1201741494/) submitted.

SchwarzerAbt
11-08-2016, 02:22 AM
I watched the film yesterday. A good summary of the current knowledge on climate change and the music compliments it nicely. Some new sounds, but I have to listen to it isolated to value it propperly.

Although (spoiler) I can't imagine that the UN embassador for climate change has never heard of the gulf stream being interrupted. I hope they put it that way for dramatic purpose. That's embarrassing!

sheepdean
11-09-2016, 09:07 AM
I caved and preordered the vinyl, I'm just a slut for TRAR music

But NEXT TIME, I'll totally not order it on principle on price. Promise.

simonn
11-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Ironic, as that's (almost) what you'll be saying to the best part of 50. Ta-ra...! :p

Ryan
11-10-2016, 04:59 AM

But NEXT TIME, I'll totally not order it on principle on price. Promise.

You're just a slut, period. -<3

arsenic
11-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Before the Flood is now 3.49 to watch here in the UK. Not free anymore, ouch :(

ninjaw
11-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Before the Flood is now 3.49 to watch here in the UK. Not free anymore, ouch :(

Same thing in france, I as watching for the google play us version, it jus turned into a french subbed version for ... 10€ !

fakdoo
11-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Man, this score (and documentary) just got way more depressing in light of recent events.

botley
11-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Man, this score (and documentary) just got way more depressing in light of recent events.
Yes, quite significantly. We are still 'before the flood' as it were, but probably not for much longer.

Vertigo
11-11-2016, 09:02 PM
They're already feeling the effects in some parts of the world. Agricultural lands abandoned due to sudden aridity, droughts, earth movements from melting glaciers. The problem is that it's affecting rural communities in the third world, who're already disadvantaged, and far enough away from us that the media and government are largely unaware or turning a blind eye. Talk to aid workers, though, and you see how bad it's getting already.

Before The Flood pointed out the likelihood of central US states becoming a long-term dustbowl, I think that's going to be unavoidable if Trump follows through on his climate-sceptic policy promises. Sad thing is, that region's where a lot of his support is coming from.

Arcspiral
11-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Can we talk about how god damn amazing "8 Billion" is for a second? I could listen to that for an hour straight and never shake the goosebumps...

wizfan
11-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Good film. The climate change is definitely terrifying and it's been haunting my mind ever since I was taught about it in school, but I like that the film explores many possible outcomes. The scene that affected me the most was the one with NASA scientist Piers Sellers (https://www.inverse.com/article/23042-leonardo-dicaprio-climate-change-piers-sellers). It was truly emotional and it was wise of them to put it in the end. I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it.

That said, the almost-hypnotic soundtrack made me wander off and not pay attention to all the important stuff that all those people were saying. The different subject matter and contributions of Santaolalla and Mogwai pushed TRAR out of their comfort zone of dark beats and ambient synths. I wasn't that impressed by the ambience and piano melodies in Juno. The ambience here was much more impressive and layered. I smiled when familiar-sounding instruments kept popping up throughout the film, though sometimes they were a bit too familiar (I'm getting tired of the midtempo rhythmic "dun... dun... dun... dun..." synths). The moment when the very first bass synth note pops out of the ambience as Leo describes the Hieronymus Bosch painting was breathtaking. Like, BOOOOM. Shit is getting real.

"A Minute to Breathe" was very fresh and also a good self-imposed challenge for Trent's vocals. The 5.1 mix that totom posted is legit, as the surround channels don't have the lead vocals in them, only the backing ones and the piano reverberation. TRAR still mix in surround like it's nobody's business. The webrip's 5.1 mix has some cool stuff going on with the entire film's soundtrack and I can't wait to listen to it again when the movie is released on Blu-ray. I will listen to the album tomorrow and provide some more detailed thoughts on it.

On a side note, I cracked up when that guy was talking about cows and methane and an electronic drum beat started playing. The combination of beats and methane instantly reminded me of a quote from Meathead's review of Ghosts I-IV: "Ghosts I-IV is actually interesting, and you can do more than simply take a shit to it. I mean, if you wanted to take a shit while listening to Ghosts I-IV, I'm sure you could, but I would be careful not to get your feces all over the place while dancing on the toilet seat during Atticus' stuff. That could be unpleasant."

jmtd
11-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Can we talk about how god damn amazing "8 Billion" is for a second? I could listen to that for an hour straight and never shake the goosebumps...

I think that's my stand-out so far.

joplinpicasso
11-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Yes, quite significantly. We are still 'before the flood' as it were, but probably not for much longer.

Quoted for significance. Re: the actual music, it's beautiful and achieves its purpose splendidly, and, because of that, I may not revisit it as a standalone record as much as I do TSN, TGWTDT, or GG (and I listen to those soundtracks quite often). Knowing TR's intentions for writing "A Minute to Breathe" adds even more depth. Santaolalla's clean-tone guitar licks are classy editions to TR+AR's piano/electronics shtick.

neorev
11-18-2016, 03:05 AM
Lossless release is finally up for sale on Qobuz.com, but sadly no 24 bit...
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/before-the-flood-music-from-the-motion-picture-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-gustavo-santaolalla-mogwai/0780163489323

ninjaw
11-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Lossless release is finally up for sale on Qobuz.com, but sadly no 24 bit...
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/before-the-flood-music-from-the-motion-picture-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-gustavo-santaolalla-mogwai/0780163489323

Wow! It's about time but this is ridiculous !

neorev
11-18-2016, 04:06 AM
Wow! It's about time but this is ridiculous !

Yeah, they're definitely taking their time. It's dated as October 28th, but I know for a fact it only went up within the last few days because I was constantly checking. It's pretty stupid in today's world that you would delay the release of something that could have so easily been released simultaneously everywhere. And these companies wonder why people steal music. With these archaic release models, they're only doing damage to themselves and they deserve it.

WorzelG
11-18-2016, 05:25 AM
Whats the latest on if there will be a CD release of this? I'd like to recommend it to people as a possible Christmas present for me but I doubt it will be in time

SchwarzerAbt
11-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Whats the latest on if there will be a CD release of this? I'd like to recommend it to people as a possible Christmas present for me but I doubt it will be in time

It's supposed to be released on Dec. 16th by Lakeshore Records. But still there's not much further information about it, so I'm not sure if it is really happening. You can still preorder it on amazon, but you can't find it there with a simple search...

Edit: you can preorder it on German amazon. For US the page is down. :(

TheBang
11-18-2016, 07:50 PM
http://louderthanwar.com/news-invada-records-and-lakeshore-records-to-release-before-the-flood-ost/

The soundtrack will a joint release between Invada and Lakeshore and will see the album come out on vinyl and CD.

More details will soon follow

Deepvoid
11-21-2016, 09:22 AM
1st award for A Minute To Breath. Best song for Documentary at the Hollywood Music in Media Awards. (http://deadline.com/2016/11/hollywood-music-in-media-awards-justin-timberlake-alexandre-desplat-trent-reznot-1201857357/)

kargath
12-11-2016, 05:32 PM
My order for the CD version was cancelled from Amazon US and the listing for it has been removed from the store. Anyone still have a CD listing?

piggy
12-12-2016, 01:10 AM
Here's a listing from Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/before-the-flood-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-cd/32322561.p?skuId=32322561

ninjaw
12-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Mhhhhhh well in amazon france there's an imported from US, DOUBLE cd unavailable http://amzn.eu/1MbQTzP
Same thing in Canada http://a.co/5FfuNNv and India http://amzn.in/5FVq305

SchwarzerAbt
12-12-2016, 11:17 AM
December 16th is almost there. But there's not even artwork available or anything. I don't think we'll be getting a CD this Friday...

Apart from that: the Best Buy link has a much more reasonable price tag than the previous amazon item. Is anyone ordering this to see what happens?

kargath
12-12-2016, 07:31 PM
December 16th is almost there. But there's not even artwork available or anything. I don't think we'll be getting a CD this Friday...

Apart from that: the Best Buy link has a much more reasonable price tag than the previous amazon item. Is anyone ordering this to see what happens?
I was about to order, but it appears that at some point they stopped allowing you to use discover card as a payment option. Not sure if it's due to pre-order or not...I'll try again later from a PC I guess.

zecho
12-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Is there anywhere I can buy a lossless version of the score in the US? I've already got it in mp3, but I really want lossless. I've been searching since it came out, and the only way I've found is to buy the vinyl from nin.com, which I'm not gonna do. Any help would be appreciated!

ninjaw
12-14-2016, 02:44 PM
did you try on this page ? http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/before-the-flood-music-from-the-motion-picture-trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-gustavo-santaolalla-mogwai/0780163489323
PS: warning, it is not 24bit

zecho
12-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I tried the day it was posted. I can put it in my cart, but when I try to pay it says it's not available in my country.

ninjaw
12-15-2016, 04:52 AM
Yeah, I tried the day it was posted. I can put it in my cart, but when I try to pay it says it's not available in my country.

Holy shit you're right, didn't know qobuz were only in 9 european countries, I'm disapointed because I love this service but they're obviously lost.
I guess you'll have to wait january, hoping Trent will finally offer something better around a not overpriced CD ? or maybe ask some friendly strangers in private, I dunno.

TheBang
12-16-2016, 07:04 PM
I didn't have any problems. Did you choose Visa or Mastercard as the option to pay?

kargath
12-17-2016, 06:24 PM
I was about to order, but it appears that at some point they stopped allowing you to use discover card as a payment option. Not sure if it's due to pre-order or not...I'll try again later from a PC I guess.
Just wanted to point out that the item now says backordered and not available until January. Pretty sure this didn't release as expected.

Prettybrokenspiral
12-18-2016, 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_dlfihNoMM

THIS SHIT

Very possibly my favorite instrumental piece he's ever created. It's like the aching of life in under seven minutes..

RJK
12-19-2016, 07:24 AM
I placed an order through Best Buy, just got an email that it was delayed until 1-18.