PDA

View Full Version : Juno (2016)

ethan829
06-29-2016, 01:34 PM
So apparently Trent and Atticus are releasing a new single called "Juno" (and there's a Nullco II?):

http://i.imgur.com/YqB1b7p.jpg

henryeatscereal
06-29-2016, 01:41 PM
According to the NASA site (https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html); the Juno spacecraft will arrive to Jupiter in July the 4th, many are saying that this will be the release date for the new album...

Toadflax
06-29-2016, 01:54 PM
According to the NASA site (https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html); the Juno spacecraft will arrive to Jupiter in July the 4th, many are saying that this will be the release date for the new album...

Let's not throw the term "album" around. It could be anything from just this 8 minute track to a score to the documentary (which will probably be shorter than a feature film) to some giant collection of ambient music they've prepared to play during the mission.

ethan829
06-29-2016, 01:54 PM

As a huge space nerd, it's awesome that Trent and Atticus are involved with the Juno mission in some small way.

henryeatscereal
06-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Let's not throw the term "album" around. It could be anything from just this 8 minute track to a score to the documentary (which will probably be shorter than a feature film) to some giant collection of ambient music they've prepared to play during the mission.
I agree; actually i was going to put "album" with a question mark, but i forgot, lol...

Still they did lots of tracks for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" soundtrack (which in currently listening!), so i guess anything is possible at this point...

onthewall2983
06-29-2016, 02:43 PM
I guess we're not going to be hearing "Hamburger Telephone Theme" then.

botley
06-29-2016, 02:55 PM
I think this new track is awesome. I wonder What torrent site will host it first?

arsenic
06-29-2016, 03:21 PM
so is the track already out there? I can't see it on itunes

by the way, I guess a part of the track was used in this small trailer (https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/media-gallery/jupiter-orbit-insertion)

edit:
here's the full track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6pBlGxFhVY). I found the link on twitter

edit 2:
the link is down. Luckily I downloaded it a moment ago

SM Rollinger
06-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Id rather not rip it off youtube, a link would be appreciated.

arsenic
06-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Id rather not rip it off youtube, a link would be appreciated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/4qgg6f/juno_new_trent_atticus_single_on_itunes/d4sznnn

sheepdean
06-29-2016, 03:50 PM
TRAR IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Sorry just got home and yes all is right with the world

Leviathant
06-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Surely this will not improve Trent's opinion of YouTube.

SchwarzerAbt
06-29-2016, 03:54 PM
here's the full track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6pBlGxFhVY). I found the link on twitter

Awesome! Sounds very Vangelis-like to me at times - which is not a bad thing. Now I'm looking forward to seeing it in the format it was supposed to be presented. (film? album? broadcast to Jupiter?)

acidpolly
06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
it sounds very much like.... everything else they did before.

Reznor2112
06-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Trent following in one of his idol's footsteps

See Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks by eno

thefragile_jake
06-29-2016, 04:30 PM
it sounds very much like.... everything else they did before.

The ending is very nice, but I was kind of zoning out and not in a good way for those first 5-6 minutes.

Ryan
06-29-2016, 04:34 PM
I just don't get as excited about this soundtrack stuff as I ought to.

kargath
06-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Is there an actual direct rip available, or just the conversion from YouTube?

Ryan
06-29-2016, 06:14 PM
sheepdean Has this been ninwiki'd yet?

Microwave Jellyfish
06-29-2016, 07:13 PM
It shall take its place next to Zoo Station among the rare cuts that bore everyone to tears except for me, I guess.

Gonna finish the day watching Jupiter go apeshit in 2010. :)

somewhat_
06-29-2016, 07:16 PM
It shall take its place next to Zoo Station among the rare cuts that bore everyone to tears except for me, I guess.

Gonna finish the day watching Jupiter go apeshit in 2010. :)

This can be enjoyed. Zoo station - not so much.

Ryan
06-29-2016, 07:27 PM
I'd like to hear this 8 minute version.

arsenic
06-29-2016, 07:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cBUXmMl.png

edit: the track is still available on Apple Music and it's back on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/juno-single/id1128945204) too

SM Rollinger
06-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Just got home and listened to this. The beginning reminds me of 2001 Space Odyssey. That was probably intentional.

I just hope its made available to purchase outside of Itunes, cuz I dont roll like that.

Ryan
06-29-2016, 07:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cBUXmMl.png

edit: the track is still available on Apple Music and it's back on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/juno-single/id1128945204) too

Nice find there!

Microwave Jellyfish
06-29-2016, 08:14 PM
The beginning reminds me of 2001 Space Odyssey. That was probably intentional.
Some of the folks over at reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/4qgg6f/juno_new_trent_atticus_single_on_itunes/d4sz2rq) think the beginning might be a sample of actual Jupiter noises.

ltrandazzo
06-29-2016, 08:26 PM
I think this new track is awesome. I wonder What torrent site will host it first?

What did you say?

Ryan
06-29-2016, 08:34 PM
What did you say?

I believe Mr botley cleverly posed a question about where it might turn up online without actually requesting or linking, that clever Canadian motherfucker!

xfocalinx
06-29-2016, 08:40 PM
I will not be sharing my .mp3 download anymore. Support Trent and Atticus!

Ryan
06-29-2016, 08:55 PM

Give me it.

FernandoDante
06-29-2016, 10:06 PM
SO, now that Trent has Officially Released Music In 2016, new NIN pushed back to mid-2017 at the earliest?

kargath
06-29-2016, 10:20 PM
I will support them as soon as it's available in some form other than iTunes. I'd rather pay out the nose for a promo cassette tape that's been played 100s of times than install and register with iTunes and risk their shitty software deleting my music library.

gorast
06-29-2016, 11:02 PM
I can get how people are saying that this is just like all their other instrumental shit but that feels pretty reductive to me. This has a different feeling than GDT and Gone Girl, both of which mostly fostered a sense of dread. Juno feels more like curiosity and empty, echo-y space, which fits well. It's more uplifting than the other soundtracks. To me, anyway.

I do hope this is a precursor to something more.

thelastdisciple
06-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Well I like it, $1 well spent i say!

Finally SOMETHING. I'll take it, i will chew on this bone for as long as i can until the next thing comes along, whatever that may be.

thevoid99
06-30-2016, 12:46 AM
I just heard it and man, it's beautiful. I hope there's more to come.

thelastdisciple
06-30-2016, 01:51 AM
What I'd like to know is... does TR even plan on talking about this at all in some upcoming interviews or even announcing it via twitter/fb/instagram/apple connect? Waiting until July 4th or does he just expect us to find out about this stuff on our own?

Ryan
06-30-2016, 01:56 AM
SO, now that Trent has Officially Released Music In 2016, new NIN pushed back to mid-2017 at the earliest?

The fact that the instrumental of Everything surfaced means we'll have to wait til at least 2022.

Ryan
06-30-2016, 01:57 AM
I just heard it and man, it's beautiful. I hope there's more to come.

Give me it.

reznovka
06-30-2016, 02:30 AM
great work and it's super atmospheric...so we got the "OTHER STUFF" and now we just need the "NEW NIN" he promised :D

raptors661
06-30-2016, 03:02 AM
The beginning sounds a lot like the noises they found from Saturn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh2-P8hG5-E

reznovka
06-30-2016, 03:15 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/nzn_2007/Juno.jpg

niggo
06-30-2016, 03:40 AM
I don't know about you guys but I think that new song is fucking neat.

raptors661
06-30-2016, 03:49 AM
I don't know about you guys but I think that new song is fucking neat.
Yeah, I like this track quite a bit.

onthewall2983
06-30-2016, 04:05 AM
I like it too. Hope there's more where that came from, non-soundtrack stuff from TR/AR would be very welcome.

simonn
06-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Yep, firmly in the 'like' camp on this one.....

wizfan
06-30-2016, 07:55 AM
I want TRAR to score the entire solar system. Fuck, make it the galaxy.

kdrcraig
06-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Really cool track. Very relaxing.

henryeatscereal
06-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Liked it, i'm up for a new soundtrack!, last night i watched "The Social Network" and i'm still in love with the soundtrack, i expect nothing but greatness here...

thelastdisciple
06-30-2016, 12:47 PM
Well here's the official announcement on the NIN facebook page, just posted now.

https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial/photos/a.10150097171211221.314441.19787971220/10154181056521221/ (and posted on Insta + twitter)

mr9inchnail
06-30-2016, 01:58 PM
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/30/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-juno/

So apparently Engadget.com didn't listen to the songs posted before they linked the youtube videos !! Rick Roll'ed LMAO !

sweeterthan
06-30-2016, 01:59 PM
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/30/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-juno/

So apparently Engadget.com didn't listen to the songs posted before they linked the youtube videos !! Rick Roll'ed LMAO !

I saw some replies at spin's Twitter account that mentioned it too. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr9inchnail
06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
I saw some replies at spin's Twitter account that mentioned it too. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journalism at its finest !!

PhoenixML
06-30-2016, 02:33 PM
A NEW SONG!! yeah! instrumental.. oh well, better than nothing.

howdidislipinto
06-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Haven't watched the full video yet, but fucking love the track. Oh shit, now I'm all excited for new music. Please come?

TR/AR and NASA are a match made in heaven. Can they score Cosmos S2?

I will support them as soon as it's available in some form other than iTunes. I'd rather pay out the nose for a promo cassette tape that's been played 100s of times than install and register with iTunes and risk their shitty software deleting my music library.

It's a 99¢ DRM free download. If you want to steal it, steal it, but your excuse sounds dumb. iTunes Match/Apple Music and any of its supposed library glitches (which MAYBE happened to one person?) are separate services and have nothing to do with supporting an artist by buying their song.

rboggs
06-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Just ran a mile to JUNO and I love EVERYTHING about it.

The art, the concept, the music.

More please.

Khrz
06-30-2016, 05:22 PM
. iTunes Match/Apple Music and any of its supposed library glitches (which MAYBE happened to one person?) are separate services and have nothing to do with supporting an artist by buying their song.

Well let's put it this way : having to install iTunes to buy one track is a fucking drag and stupid in its own way.
If you're not using the whole Apple line and environment, iTunes is a useless POS, and not being able to - at least- just buy the thing from the artist himself instead is dumb.
I'd love to get to hear the track, I'd love to buy it, but that's just way too many hoops for 8 minutes of contextual droning.

simonn
06-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Well let's put it this way : having to install iTunes to buy one track is a fucking drag and stupid in its own way.
If you're not using the whole Apple line and environment, iTunes is a useless POS, and not being able to - at least- just buy the thing from the artist himself instead is dumb.
I'd love to get to hear the track, I'd love to buy it, but that's just way too many hoops for 8 minutes of contextual droning.

Wonder if this is going to be the first real Apple Music exclusive, (if you ignore leftovers from Gone Girl and the Fragile stuff) or whether it will in time be spread to the Spotify's and Amazon's of this world....hope Trent's not going down THAT road as it's a bit self-serving - not everyone, myself included, likes Apple products, and it will encourage (rightly or wrongly) the kind of behaviour that Trent has been rallying against this last week or two (YouTube, as mentioned earlier).

Star
06-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Reminds me of tracks from Ghost. I prefer words with my music but for what it is, it's cool.

howdidislipinto
06-30-2016, 09:38 PM

Sure, I agree, but it's not THAT much of a chore considering you can just take the file and play it in your preferred software at any time.

Anyway, like I said, I have no issue with people stealing it -- I bought it but I'm about to share it with a handful of friends that I know will enjoy it but probably wouldn't buy it otherwise. Just always find the rambling piracy defenses people go on annoying, especially when not even based in reality like that dude's. However you want the track, it's easy to find.

Khrz
06-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Either you jumped to conclusions or I missed something, because I've seen nothing about piracy from the parties involved...

kargath
06-30-2016, 10:57 PM
It's a 99¢ DRM free download. If you want to steal it, steal it, but your excuse sounds dumb. iTunes Match/Apple Music and any of its supposed library glitches (which MAYBE happened to one person?) are separate services and have nothing to do with supporting an artist by buying their song.

I don't want to steal it...I have thousands of dollars of Reznor's various stuff. I buy directly from their store whenever possible and I've bought countless shirts, posters and various other things at the many live shows I've attended.

iTunes and Apple products are not for everyone. Exclusives are and will forever be dumb.

I have also not yet listened to or downloaded this track, but would gladly throw them $1 if they put it in their store.

I fail to see how and where I made an excuse. I'm certainly entitled to my opinion of iTunes and not wanting to install bloated, slow, potentially (sorry to confuse you by leaving that word out, apparently it offended you or turned you into a troll) local music library altering software that has dubious terms of service.

So... Try again...

Ryan
06-30-2016, 11:37 PM
I was reminded of that shrill, bone-tingling scream you hear at the beginning of Kubrick's The Shining about halfway through it. Very creepy.

icecream
07-01-2016, 02:31 AM
The Facebook headlines had me thinking it was the first single from a new NIN album until I read the articles. Pitchfork said something like, "new music from Trent Reznor ahead of forthcoming NIN LP". Sounds like what we would expect from a TR & AR soundtrack. Which is fantastic, but yeah, trying to get over the excitement of new NIN.

shagg_187
07-01-2016, 02:46 AM
Here's a little music video I made using the footage from the short film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcXDn7Hr2gM

ninjaw
07-01-2016, 03:30 AM
I hate everything about l'appoule especially Iphoune, Ipoud, and Itounes. But I do pay for Trent's service and even paid for that track. I could give a thousand reasons for that, but do you remember Sony Connect ? That crappy awful service, that was including Nin exclusives ! Probably the most notorious only attemp to recreate the whole awful L'appoule closed system idea... Well at least l'appoule is drm free, not like sony connect.

wunderpanda
07-01-2016, 04:02 AM
woohoo! Cool little movie too

ChipRock
07-01-2016, 05:35 AM
Yeah, it's not a bad tune. It serves a purpose, and anything to do with space is super cool in my book. I had assumed this was part of a full album, but actually it seems maybe it isn't.
I was getting really grumpy about the track only appearing on iTunes, but I'm guessing it may turn up elsewhere eventually. If not I'll be able to find it somewhere I'm sure. I don't want to get into a big rant about Apple, but on top of the exclusive thing that film is a bit cringey to me. Like hey, we're all just chilled out groovy artists hanging out and being arty and so happy that Apple is in their lives making everything amazing, a bit like space does. Ick. I know it's business and all that - just don't pretend it isn't.

kargath
07-01-2016, 07:44 AM
Anyway, like I said, I have no issue with people stealing it -- I bought it but I'm about to share it with a handful of friends that I know will enjoy it but probably wouldn't buy it otherwise. Just always find the rambling piracy defenses people go on annoying, especially when not even based in reality like that dude's. However you want the track, it's easy to find.

I read this as "It's okay if I give it to people who wouldn't buy it..but only if they're cool with iTunes." I'm not jumping to conclusions, am I?

Anyways... No worries... I have a (potential) solution that fits your bipolar stance on ip theft and apple software (see attached pic).

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160701/4dcbdfac39a2c9862be9623fa6a51e50.jpg

How bout I send you $1 on paypal. Then you can turn around and pay an additional dollar with a new iTunes account.... since apparently that's no big deal and super convenient... and after all that, you can email me the DRM free file feeling warm and fuzzy knowing that this truly is me not wanting anything to do with iTunes and nothing else... and I'll get the benefit of purchasing/listening to it without having to deal with the software, new account, and allowing them to sew me into a human centiPad (sorry.. allegedly... South Park may have exaggerated that one).

Just keep in mind that if you take the dollar and send me the file without purchasing it again that you'd become the true d-bag by getting paid for someone else's work.

What do you say? Want to bury the hatchet and be friends? Can't we all just get along? Doesn't that make you feel better?

botley
07-01-2016, 08:56 AM
kargath Deep breaths and may I suggest a Chill pill 💊

Avarik
07-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Is this offered in lossless anywhere? Because I don't feel good paying for lossy formats

gorast
07-01-2016, 05:58 PM
It's not offered anywhere else for the time being, and I'm not really sure that it ever will. Maybe it'll pop up on other services eventually. At least throw it on nin.com or something. Especially after the whole Youtube thing from last week.

xfocalinx
07-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Apparently weezer released a track based on juno, too. Very interesting

neorev
07-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Shame an artist like Trent Reznor who seems to be about experiencing his work in the best possible quality would support shitty lossy iTunes compression for his exclusives. Apple is an evil company and the death of music. And no, that is not some exaggeration. Supporting Apple is supporting the death of music.

And now Apple is looking into purchasing Tidal streaming service. Probably turn it into shit as well.

gorast
07-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Apparently weezer released a track based on juno, too. Very interesting

"Based on Juno" is incredibly generous. The song's called "I Love the U.S.A." and it's about what you'd expect from that title. I don't think they relate it to the probe at all.

kargath
07-01-2016, 10:08 PM
kargath Deep breaths and may I suggest a Chill pill 💊
Yea...you're right. Apologies all around for derailing the thread. I should have just let it drop.

simonn
07-02-2016, 03:18 AM
Have I got this right? My wife has iTunes, but not Apple Music. When I open up iTunes, I can see the song, but does she need an Apple music subscription to actually buy it? I'm happy to pay the dollar for the digital file, but not an Apple music subscription, just so I can get the best sounding version available.

icklekitty
07-02-2016, 04:41 AM
No. She buys it like she buys any song on iTunes.

somewhat_
07-02-2016, 06:05 AM
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/we-interviewed-a-real-life-nasa-dude-about-the-new-juno-honoring-weezer-and-trent-reznor-tracks

SM Rollinger
07-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Hopefully this gets a limited vinyl pressing or something.

Also, if somebody wants to buy a copy of the digital file on my behalf, ill gladly paypal them a dollar too. Lol kargath , I was already thinking about this too. :)

xfocalinx
07-02-2016, 09:48 AM
"Based on Juno" is incredibly generous. The song's called "I Love the U.S.A." and it's about what you'd expect from that title. I don't think they relate it to the probe at all.

Word. I haven't heard it. My buddy shot me a message while i was out

simonn
07-03-2016, 07:01 AM
No. She buys it like she buys any song on iTunes.

Finally figured it out! Reminded me why I hate iTunes so much, as it was far from straightforward! Thanks.

Kamelion
07-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Finally figured it out! Reminded me why I hate iTunes so much, as it was far from straightforward! Thanks.
No shit. What a giant pain in the ass just to spend £0.79. Install iTunes. Shout at the computer for 45 minutes. Download song. Uninstall iTunes. Aaaah, Juno. Bliss :).

jmtd
07-04-2016, 03:41 AM
80+ posts and almost all of them are winging about iTunes. Great :(

I found this a really interesting track. The comparison with Eno is very apt.

Trent following in one of his idol's footsteps

See Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks by eno

Which way around are you saying the idolatry goes? Is Eno on record as liking Reznor? Or vice versa?

HurtinMinorKey
07-04-2016, 11:27 AM
80+ posts and almost all of them are winging about iTunes. Great :(

This month's deep space exploration brought to you by Apple! We are approaching the Fight Club version of the future and sadly Trent's complicit. Putting out a song "in honor" of a public works endeavor, and then trying to make money off it (or use it to promote a particular for-profit platform) is in extremely bad taste.

I paid for it because I am lazy. And I like the song. But in terms of trying to make people give Apple money for this, Trent can go fuck himself on this one.

jmtd
07-04-2016, 03:58 PM
This month's deep space exploration brought to you by Apple! We are approaching the Fight Club version of the future and sadly Trent's complicit. Putting out a song "in honor" of a public works endeavor, and then trying to make money off it (or use it to promote a particular for-profit platform) is in extremely bad taste.

I paid for it because I am lazy. And I like the song. But in terms of trying to make people give Apple money for this, Trent can go fuck himself on this one.

I can hardy believe we are having this conversation. But here goes. At 99p for one song with pretty much zero promotion , do you think he's making money, or recouping costs?

kargath
07-04-2016, 06:13 PM
I can hardy believe we are having this conversation. But here goes. At 99p for one song with pretty much zero promotion , do you think he's making money, or recouping costs?
Pretty sure no one really cares or is complaining about spending the $1 for the content....

If you could buy it through a web interface and download it from there...I'd be all over it. I own no apple hardware and don't have any desire to install the software or create a new account just for a single purchase.

HurtinMinorKey
07-04-2016, 07:30 PM

If TR was doing this as an independent artist, and he was merely recouping costs, I might think differently of the situation. It's the whole doing it in support of Apple aspect that irks me. And maybe I'm being ignorant. Perhaps getting corporate money into space travel is the best and logical way to boost space exploration, but it just smells bad to me.

It's like I realized the future was ending up like Starship Troopers instead of Star Trek.

I hope that makes sense.

gorast
07-04-2016, 09:54 PM
They're not getting the money from the government. Put a fucking McDonald's logo on it if it gets out there, I don't give a shit.

elevenism
07-04-2016, 11:31 PM
i'm sort of stunned by all the branding, by this man who recorded my favorite album in secret to avoid corporate assholes, an album i fell in love with 24 years ago (fucksake i'm old)

But i love the song. We listened to it on youtube from our tv with surround sound. It was beautiful. I will do it again.

I am not giving anyone one dollar.

WorzelG
07-05-2016, 01:27 AM
I don't think he sees apple in the same way as others do and he has always been about how tech geeks are just as much artists as artists (when he did the stuff for Id software) and it could have been a career for him.

I mean if the apple people start telling artists what music they should be making then the two would be comparable. But it's just the delivery system

cashpiles (closed)
07-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Nobody has a lawful right to listen to a for pay song for free unless it's coming from a source that pays the artist for providing that song for free. Otherwise you're a thief.

HurtinMinorKey
07-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Nobody has a lawful right to listen to a for pay song for free unless it's coming from a source that pays the artist for providing that song for free. Otherwise you're a thief.

In terms of "lawful right" you are correct. When it comes to "moral right" people are less inclined to think that stealing from a mega-corporation that built its empire, in part, upon the backs of slave labor is immoral. That's part of the baggage TR gets from teaming up with Apple. Trent may like to think of Apple, as @WorzelG points out, as high minded artist-engineers, but he'd be a fool (or willfully ignorant) to ignore the other tentacles of Apple when he decides to attach his "art" to their name.

cashpiles (closed)
07-05-2016, 09:23 AM
In terms of "lawful right" you are correct. When it comes to "moral right" people are less inclined to think that stealing from a mega-corporation that built its empire, in part, upon the backs of slave labor is immoral. That's part of the baggage TR gets from teaming up with Apple. Trent may like to think of Apple, as @WorzelG points out, as high minded artist-engineers, but he'd be a fool (or willfully ignorant) to ignore the other tentacles of Apple when he decides to attach his "art" to their name.

stealing is also morally wrong.

HurtinMinorKey
07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
stealing is also morally wrong.

I'll add that some might call it "illegally reproduced" since nothing physical was actually stolen.

Henrie_Schnee
07-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Off-Topic: I miss 2007-ets.
On-Topic: Nice track - the Eno-comparison someone made is apt, but I like how it turns more and more Reznor-ish towards the end. Only listened to it once, can't wait for a perfect occasion.

screwdriver
07-05-2016, 11:01 PM
I'll add that some might call it "illegally reproduced" since nothing physical was actually stolen.

this is illusory semantics

I don't disagree with your impression of Apple at all. What interests me is the unstated assumption of the perspective you describe, which is to say that a "moral right" exists in relation to others. In other words, that someone else's (or, in this case, a corporation's) moral fallibility lessens your own moral obligation. To wit: if you accept the premise that "moral rights" exist, do your obligations in relation to that moral right exist only in relation to someone else's? This is not the same as evaluating moral culpability on a scale (i.e. murder is worse than theft) but rather a weird (albeit not impossible) premise that your moral duty to someone else depends on their own morality. (to use an exaggerated example, that murdering in cold blood a murderer is "less bad" than murdering an innocent person.)

Moreover, given that, I assume, we both agree there is no objective morality scale (i.e., neither of us accept a religious text as controlling -- not that that would matter much, given that no religious texts touch on intellectual property), others' "moral rights" exist on a spectrum only relevant to your own perspective.

My own thoughts:
1) You either accept the premise of "intellectual property" or not. If you accept the premise that ideas can be property, you are definitionally importing concepts of property onto them.
2a) Assuming you accept the premise of "intellectual property," the unauthorized use of that property is definitionally theft. It has differences from theft of "real" (meatspace) property, but those differences do not affect the implication/definition of "theft" in this context.
2b) If, however, you do not accept the premise of "intellectual property," you either think 1) ideas should be completely free - i.e., abolish all copyright, patent, etc. laws -- or 2) that "intellectual property" is a misnomer and such concepts are more appropriately defined in another fashion.

I think only way a subjective moral right can enter the equation is with the last category is if you fall into 2(b)(2). If so, I think you have the existential problem of morality to contend with before you even get to any of the other questions. To pick just one of those questions, let's assume that Apple uses truly "slave labor" (which is itself a complicated question to answer) -- is boycotting Apple the best way to liberate those slaves? Or are you valuing your own moral certitude over giving money to the "slaves", however indirectly?

CAVEAT: Pretty buzzed and tired, may not be thinking this through correctly.

WorzelG
07-06-2016, 02:04 AM
^^^my problem with the slave labour thing is it applies to all such companies so anyone who owns a smartphone or whatever is culpable of the same thing and has no right to claim any high road which they do all the time with Apple.

SchwarzerAbt
07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
So - habe they stopped doing interviews or what? New song released: first TRAR score without Fincher, collaboration with the NASA. And no word from either one of them apart from that Twitter announcement?

I'd be interested in hearing about the process, the motives, the inspirations. Anyone else finds this silence strange?

simonn
07-06-2016, 12:57 PM
So - habe they stopped doing interviews or what? New song released: first TRAR score without Fincher, collaboration with the NASA. And no word from either one of them apart from that Twitter announcement?

I'd be interested in hearing about the process, the motives, the inspirations. Anyone else finds this silence strange?

I find it disconcerting. And a little aloof.

BRoswell
07-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Anyone else finds this silence strange?

Not really. I mean, what are they going to say? They also might be working on other stuff right now and don't have time to do interviews about one single track.

Ryan
07-06-2016, 08:31 PM
It's just the exciting calm before the NIN Storm.

screwdriver
07-06-2016, 10:46 PM
^^^my problem with the slave labour thing is it applies to all such companies so anyone who owns a smartphone or whatever is culpable of the same thing and has no right to claim any high road which they do all the time with Apple.

if we are defining slave labor in this way, it applies to almost every single consumer good you can purchase. (it's also a sort of offensive way to think about slavery.)

SchwarzerAbt
07-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Not really. I mean, what are they going to say? They also might be working on other stuff right now and don't have time to do interviews about one single track.

Maybe you're right. But I miss the good old times when the NIN-camp was more active on the interwebs... :-(

Ryan
07-08-2016, 04:41 AM
Maybe you're right. But I miss the good old times when the NIN-camp was more active on the interwebs... :-(

Parenthood.

cashpiles (closed)
07-09-2016, 01:10 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.ee122821-3e4d-11e6-8d13-b0eee39c0fee

nin.com has a link to the Juno video on Apple Music. I finally watched it. You know what? Trent and Atticus have done an incredible job. The music builds and shifts perfectly with the progression of the short film. This is Trent and Atticus' greatest scoring achievement. Like this shows that they are on their A game now. They did it. It makes sense. It's moving. And it amplifies and complements the video perfectly.

I think this really is the future for Trent and Atticus. This seems to be where their passion is now and I fully support them. Top quality stuff.

Ryan
07-09-2016, 01:22 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.ee122821-3e4d-11e6-8d13-b0eee39c0fee

nin.com has a link to the Juno video on Apple Music. I finally watched it. You know what? Trent and Atticus have done an incredible job. The music builds and shifts perfectly with the progression of the short film. This is Trent and Atticus' greatest scoring achievement. Like this shows that they are on their A game now. They did it. It makes sense. It's moving. And it amplifies and complements the video perfectly.

I think this really is the future for Trent and Atticus. This seems to be where their passion is now and I fully support them. Top quality stuff.

The video won't load for me for some reason. Just sits there saying Loading...

Like this:

http://i64.tinypic.com/35iowtj.png

Could it be because of my location?

Reznor2112
07-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Which way around are you saying the idolatry goes? Is Eno on record as liking Reznor? Or vice versa?

Vice versa:see 9:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MfHLY0tfU

Prettybrokenspiral
08-28-2016, 09:51 PM
I've been falling asleep to this for the past two months the same as I do to the other Trentticus stuff and having these groovy space-themed dreams because of it..

Jon
08-28-2016, 11:17 PM
The video won't load for me for some reason. Just sits there saying Loading...

Teaser on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/172297565)

Short Film on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/177172834)

Ryan
08-29-2016, 02:10 AM
Yah I got it working eventually, ta anyway.

muad'nin
05-30-2018, 08:39 PM
I’m very late to this party, but goodness I truly adore this track. It’s certainly one of the most beautiful instrumentals from
Reznor/Ross. There is such an exquisite balance between wonderment at scope and delicate intimacy at work here.

It’s just stunning.

neorev
12-17-2019, 02:00 AM
Is this offered in lossless anywhere? Because I don't feel good paying for lossy formats

It's not offered anywhere else for the time being, and I'm not really sure that it ever will. Maybe it'll pop up on other services eventually. At least throw it on nin.com or something. Especially after the whole Youtube thing from last week.

https://resources.tidal.com/images/14bef293/ac5a/4379/aeea/e1493a13ef1f/750x750.jpg

Look what I found for sale in lossless on TIDAL...
https://store.tidal.com/us/album/88645364

You're welcome ;)

Avarik
12-18-2019, 02:51 AM
Didn't know Tidal had a store

TheBang
12-18-2019, 04:00 AM
Didn't know Tidal had a store
Even they don't know sometimes. I once had an issue with a purchase, and it took 2 or 3 e-mails back and forth with their Support staff to get them to understand that no, I don't have a TIDAL subscription.

Oh, also, this track is on 7Digital. Cheaper there than TIDAL:

https://us.7digital.com/artist/trent-reznor/release/juno-7888992