PDA

View Full Version : The Night Of (HBO series)

perceptionnexus
06-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Anyone else catch this yet? I saw part one on HBO Go last night and was definitely intrigued as to what direction it's going to take going forward. Not much more was said in the premiere that couldn't be gained from the trailer, but it raised a lot of questions. Will it turn into a twisted murder mystery, or be more about the main character Naz dealing with modern day Muslim persecution in the face of the public? Both?

bobbie solo
06-25-2016, 11:11 PM
i will be watching this week.

Swykk
06-25-2016, 11:45 PM
I saw the first episode. Early prediction? It was the limo driver or the neighbor that reported it...leaning a bit more toward the limo driver.

october_midnight
06-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Just saw episode 1...damn it was good. Only 8 episodes? Hope it wraps up nicely.

imail724
06-30-2016, 11:51 AM
How are people watching this? Doesn't it start in July?

bobbie solo
07-16-2016, 03:34 AM
It was the limo driver.

Wow you really went out on a limb with that one.

bobbie solo
07-16-2016, 03:35 AM
past my snark, holy crap that was an amazing episode of television. so well-acted from everyone involved, part. the lead, the girl and of course Turturro.

Swykk
07-16-2016, 09:47 AM
I mean, are you really giving me shit for liking the show and discussing actual suspects? Isn't that what this thread should be for?

Having had more time to think: whoever was in the limo. The driver is probably more of a right hand/assistant.

As for how we are watching it, HBO released the first episode early.

neorev
07-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Love the first episode

Sad to know James Gandolfini was meant to play John Tuturro's role, but it had to be recasted when he passed away.

Even so long after his death, it still finds a way to come out and affect me. He was taking on more roles. James was great in Killing Them Softly, almost a Tony Soprano type at the end of his prime looking back at his life, and The Drop and he showed his soft romantic/comedic side in Enough Said. I do like John Tuturro, but it makes me think how great James could have been in The Night Of. He does get executive producer credit.

bobbie solo
07-16-2016, 10:44 PM
no Swykk i was just fucking around. My point was that the show was very heavy handed with the limo driver, so you saying you think it might be him is a pretty safe assumption. But i was joking around, and now that I explained it its not funny at all.

Twiggy
08-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Enjoyed the first two episodes. Haven't had a chance to catch episode three or four but will soon.

But looking forward to seeing where this goes...

bobbie solo
08-16-2016, 10:25 PM
I really hope they wrap this up well over the next two episodes b/c the series has been phenomenal so far.

For the hip hop lovers, have you spotted the small roles from Lord Jamar, Sticky Finagz & Treach?

Bachy
08-19-2016, 07:02 PM
They've got a lot to wrap up in two episodes. I have to imagine the finale is gonna be 90 minutes. Really liking the uncertainty around Nas. I really can't say definitively that he didn't commit this crime.

bobbie solo
08-29-2016, 12:50 AM
Overall I was happy with the finale. I was very nervous that they wouldn't wrap it up well, but they did a pretty good job. First my big question:

Can someone fully explain the thematic parallels being drawn between Nas/John's eczema/the cat? I got it to a point, but the events of the last episode have now thrown me off. His eczema coming back, was that supposed to signify that what possibly looked like things were looking up for everyone involved in the defense was now turning to shit for all 3 of them?

some other thoughts:

- I thought that overall the way the trial ended was good and somewhat realistic. The cross examinations, and lack thereof, from the DA in the finale was way too Hollywood for me (part. after the show spent so much time trying to be as realistic as possible in earlier episodes). NO DEFENDANT WOULD EVER EVER SAY "I DON'T KNOW" RIGHT THERE!!! But in terms of the jury outcome and DA's decision to not pursue any further, I thought that was handled well.

- Freddie's handling of Nas was cold and showed his true colors. That was ended well too.

- The major plotholes to me were Duane Reade & the discoveries associated with the victim's cell phone records/the additional earlier in the night videotapes. Perhaps I missed something plotwise or just thematically, but what was the point of John's ridiculous pursuit into a dark alley with a pipe in episode 4? We never saw any outcome from that. Or was the fact that DR was in jail or an unrelated crime what we got from that? If so, that's weak and that whole chase was kinda unnecessary.

As far as the info Box uncovered...that was all stuff that the defense would have looked into if it existed and prove noteworthy. They def. would have looked at the records and earlier tapes if the victim to see what she was doing that night before seeing Nas. For the show to cough all that up out of nowhere in the last episode was bullshit. Especially b/c they were not showing the defense team as incompetent prior. They were doing a very good job of establishing doubt with the hearse driver, Duane Reade & the stepfather. And last episode with the inhaler being moved. And also with the excellent crime scene guy. WAIT! And Box said they found the financial advisor's semen at the scene! How would the defense not have found that or had access to that??? Not realistic at all.

- At least the kiss btwn the lawyer & Nas last episode served the plot. We see that now in the finale. it's still completely preposterous and would never happen, but at least now I see tat they wrote that in to get from point A to point B so to speak in terms of the potential mistrial, and then having a reason for John to give the closing argument which ended up getting Nas off.

bobbie solo
08-29-2016, 01:11 AM
OK, upon just reading Alan Sepinwall's review, I guess I'm completely wrong about Freddie, b/c HE apparently got that CD of the surveillance tape of Chandra and Nas kissing to Stone. I figured it was Box. If Freddie did it, then it was to try & save Nas' ass. I toom that last convo btwn the two of them as Freddie feeding him some bullshit. But I was wrong. Anyone else think the way I did?

The other thing I just thought of that was very unrealistic was the prosecution not showing the defense the new evidence that Box provided. They would have to by law, so that was crappy too. Oh, and the whole notion of Nas getting fucking neck and hand tattoos before his trial is even over is ridiculous. I understand the show was more concerned with the system and what it does to everyone involved in it than the actual plot, but you don't have to accomplish that and completely strain believability at the same time.

Archive_Reports
08-30-2016, 10:28 AM
I enjoyed the finale but felt it was weird that the show tried to treat the viewers not only to the main characters' viewpoints, but like the jury as well by withholding certain information.

elevenism
08-30-2016, 11:23 AM
So i am looking for a new show that is the hot ticket.
Is this such a show?
neorev Swykk bobbie solo ?

bobbie solo
08-30-2016, 12:22 PM
yes, absolutely. but it's a miniseries. Small commitment. Only 8 total episodes.

neorev
08-30-2016, 01:45 PM
elevenism
I think so, I quite enjoyed. Pretty tense at points. A great miniseries.

elevenism
09-08-2016, 03:19 AM
i'm five episodes in.

This show is, among other things, a fucking SCATHING indictment of the american judicial system. corruption is present at every turn. fucking county jail, where you are supposed to sit and be safe and wait for your trial, is often insanely fucked up and can make regular people hard and nasty.
As someone who has done a bit or 3 in dallas county, i can DEEPLY relate to that shit,

elevenism
09-09-2016, 02:37 AM
well that was just fucking awesome.

thank you guys for the tip, neorev , Bobie solo

This was a great show on par with like True Detective. It was action packed, emotional, rich with social commentary and full of interesting symbolism.

Also the ending was adorable.

center27j
10-03-2016, 03:24 PM
i loved everything about this show...with one exception (unless i completely missed something). The crime scene was a blood splatter analysts dream, it was a total gore fest. however, nary a drop of blood was anywhere on Nas (other than his hand). Had he committed such a violent crime wouldn't the first thing the detective (whose character i really enjoyed) notice without even thinking be, "where did all this blood end up". his clothes were spotless, his body had no signs of blood splatter or smears. it seems so obvious yet was completely overlooked.