PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good live version of Mr. Self Destruct available somewhere?

Frydek
02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Hi all,

I've been looking for a good live version of Mr. Self Destruct i.e. soundboard, live stream, etc. But I can only find bootleg versions.

Is anyone aware of any?

SM Rollinger
02-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Im honestly not sure if there are any soundboard recordings of MSD.

I know you said your not looking for boots, but my favorite recordings of this are from the 2009.8.23 Webster Hall NYC and 1995.2.7 Arena Sioux Falls (its never been called the Sioux Falls Center, ive lived here my whole life. its the goddamn Sioux falls arena)

hani
02-19-2016, 03:54 PM
I'm thinking TDS live in 2009?

arsenic
02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
well, I'm personally dying to know if Ryan (hello ninlive :rolleyes:) will ever release this (http://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090722.html) show. This might answer your question

emptydesk
02-19-2016, 04:07 PM
I never found it to be a song that translated well live, as it's so reliant on samples, white noise thickening, and loops of belew

Frydek
02-19-2016, 04:13 PM
well, I'm personally dying to know if Ryan (hello @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) :rolleyes:) will ever release this (http://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090722.html) show. This might answer your question

that would be amazing indeed!
SM Rollinger: will check it out, thanks

Frydek
02-19-2016, 04:26 PM
I never found it to be a song that translated well live, as it's so reliant on samples, white noise thickening, and loops of belew

Kind of agree. The album version is far better, still I find the live version interesting in a different way. But I have the same feeling as you for Survivalism - never thought it worked well live.

sick among the pure
02-19-2016, 04:27 PM
I never found it to be a song that translated well live
I have to disagree, it's my #1 opener of all time.

Krazy
02-19-2016, 05:22 PM
that would be amazing indeed!
@SM Rollinger (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1705): will check it out, thanks

Kind of agree. The album version is far better, still I find the live version interesting in a different way. But I have the same feeling as you for Survivalism - never thought it worked well live.

I have to disagree, it's my #1 opener of all time.

^^^ +1 sick. Was incredible as the "opener" during TDS tour right after Pinion started. Pinion into MSD seemed like a perfect fit, much like Wish.

emptydesk
02-19-2016, 05:39 PM
I defer to the simplicity of Terrible Lie as an opener, it sets the stage so well that they did it for fucking ever.

But finding a guitarist was a problem.

"I'd see guys show up and they could play all the guitar parts and it's not like it's technically that difficult. But the test is always Terrible Lie [from Pretty Hate Machine]. It's two chords: C, D," he says, playing a sturdy air guitar.

"And you'd see these guys and they'd be playing C, D," he says, blankly. "And I'd stop them and say, 'It's not, C, D. It's, '[expletive], you'," he mutters, this time with a more violent air guitar.

"I want your hand to bleed, I don't care if you hit the right notes, I need you to support what I'm trying to say in the song. Here's what your role in the band is, it's not to show that you're the greatest guitar player in the world, it's about supporting this crusade we're on. I need a right-hand man."

ninlive
02-20-2016, 12:24 AM
well, I'm personally dying to know if Ryan (hello @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) :rolleyes:) will ever release this (http://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090722.html) show. This might answer your question

First and last time I post about this, and I hope everyone can understand my reasoning behind this... This will come out in time. But at the moment, it won't be circulated. Why? Because I have literally shared EVERYTHING I have of Nine Inch Nails live and have no sort of currency for when I find an uncirculated concert recording and a taper won't just donate the tape to the archive. I have nothing to trade because it's all available on the archive. Which means, I can't get new recordings. There are a handful of NIN recordings I know about (mostly from 07 Europe) that I have never been able to get because these tapers can just download my whole collection at the site. But don't want to just let it go for free and be available because they want to trade it out for other things they don't have. The only two recordings I have that aren't up are this one and the KROQ soundboard. I'm not trying to wave it in front of your faces. When have I ever done that? I have uploaded almost 670 recordings onto the archive and I am all about sharing music. I don't need a pat on the back for this, I love doing it and it makes me feel good that others enjoy the site where they can find recordings of concerts they have been to. But tapers/concert recording collecting has always been of haves/have nots. I've been doing this since I was 12 years old and I know the ins/outs. These are good for getting other recordings like it and it'll be worth it when I can get a few other recordings of the same caliber down the road because I have these in my back pocket. If it were me, I'd share everything and I wish others had the same mentality because a "rare" tape is just a value someone gives it. At the end of the day, it's just another recording... Again, you don't see me boasting or tweeting that I have it. Because that's not the type of person I am. But, I am hoping that there are other tapes out there... Hell, if this was sitting on someone's hard drive for 5 years before they unloaded it... Think of what else might be out there?! At the moment I am trying to obtain two in house feeds (with board audio) from Washington 1991. Those two tapes may come in handy.. So please, be patient. And understand that it's not hoarding, I'm just trying to obtain even cooler tapes for it.

To put in my .02¢ on the topic.. I enjoy Champaign 06 and Milwaukee/Houston 1994.

Frydek
02-20-2016, 04:00 AM
@ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) Never realized you were behind all this. I'm sure you've heard it before but it's really amazing what you've done. I can't say that I'm a collector but I do love having soundboard recordings or the gigs I went to (Toronto '09, wow :o ). So a massive thanks to you!

fillow
02-20-2016, 04:49 AM
Closure DVD bonus footage has approximately half (the latter half) of MSD in pro/sbd quality.

arsenic
02-20-2016, 05:54 AM
First and last time I post about this, and I hope everyone can understand my reasoning behind this...

thanks for taking your time to explain, it makes perfect sense! And again, thank you for creating the archive

hobochic
02-20-2016, 06:55 AM
I don't know why anyone would need anything other than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWm06J3rg4&ab_channel=Ac1dFr3ak

ItsJustDave
02-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Because I have literally shared EVERYTHING I have of Nine Inch Nails live and have no sort of currency for when I find an uncirculated concert recording and a taper won't just donate the tape to the archive. I have nothing to trade because it's all available on the archive. Which means, I can't get new recordings.

I totally get where you're coming from with this. This is why I hate people. But I have to add that I think that we have as many recordings as we do now because of the amount of stuff you've shared so freely. Still, there's always going to be a few loose ends that don't see that fact clearly.

billpulsipher
02-20-2016, 06:15 PM
@ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) Never realized you were behind all this. I'm sure you've heard it before but it's really amazing what you've done. I can't say that I'm a collector but I do love having soundboard recordings or the gigs I went to (Toronto '09, wow :o ). So a massive thanks to you!

I love collecting NIN soundboards from the 1989-2000 era....all 4 of them.....

ninlive
02-20-2016, 07:05 PM
I totally get where you're coming from with this. This is why I hate people. But I have to add that I think that we have as many recordings as we do now because of the amount of stuff you've shared so freely. Still, there's always going to be a few loose ends that don't see that fact clearly.

Agreed. Although, I see both sides of the argument. I've always been one to want to share everything. Because like I said, it's just a tape with a made up monetary value. I'm happy with what is out there now. I bet 90% of everything that is out there I have on the site (in regards to audio). Anything else that is added up to this point is just sugar on top. Seriously, there are quality tapes on the archive. Just because it doesn't say soundboard next to it, there are a lot of audience tapes that can rival the quality and give you a better feel of the show than a raw soundboard feed, IMHO.

I am hoping to work on gathering some more of these uncirculated NIN recordings throughout this year. Thankfully, people have been awesome with leads on new sources and it's just a matter of people getting back to me!

I love collecting NIN soundboards from the 1989-2000 era....all 4 of them.....

There are more than 4, trust me. I'd say closer to 20 professional tapes that I know of. But again, these people won't share them out because of whom they got them from and even though it's been 16-25 years, people's words are their bonds. I respect that. Maybe one day... Look at Depeche Mode's World Violation Tour soundboard (HERE (https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/1990-07-21_Shoreline_Amphitheatre,_Mountainview,_San_Franc isco,_CA,_USA)). It took 16 years for any sort of professional recording from that tour to be released in any capacity. Which is still their biggest tour they've ever done. Just to put it into perspective. And even then, it's only in mp3 quality!

EDIT:I should say that for every one person who holds back their tapes, there are DOZENS of tapers and traders who have literally bent over backwards to get me tapes. Either by sending them to me, digging through their storage units and finding one tape out of thousands, and the list goes on. I've met and talked with so many rad people that although some hold out, that is not the case for the majority. These tapers/traders believe the same values I do when it comes to swapping tapes. Even if you don't have anything to give, they'll gladly send over a 24 year old uncirculated schoeps recording from Lollapalooza 1991 (http://www.ninlive.com/shows/1991/19910727.html) that would be the first source available. I am forever grateful for each person who has contacted me and sent anything my way. Many people have reaped the benefits of it off the archive.

_T_B_W_
02-20-2016, 08:24 PM
Hopefully someone could "remaster" the World Violation Tour since the backing tapes have been floating around for awhile in full length. As for the Mr. Self Destruct live, the only sbd is the partial one on Closure, but I find the 2009 version to be amazing if you find those aud recordings that rival a soundboard.

billpulsipher
02-20-2016, 10:15 PM
theres also that pro shot video of Depeche Mode from the World Violation Tour at dodger stadium which still hasnt been released in its entirety......would be nice if there was a clean sounding NIN SBD from late 99...probably the best setlist TR ever played

_T_B_W_
02-21-2016, 12:48 AM
theres also that pro shot video of Depeche Mode from the World Violation Tour at dodger stadium which still hasnt been released in its entirety......would be nice if there was a clean sounding NIN SBD from late 99...probably the best setlist TR ever played

I say the same for wanting a clean [and unedited] sbd from Depeche Mode's Music For The Masses Tour. From what I understand there was a planned FM Broadcast of their Wembley performance in 88 that hasn't been released to the masses yet.

Leviathant
02-21-2016, 09:22 AM
This will come out in time. But at the moment, it won't be circulated. Why? Because I have literally shared EVERYTHING I have of Nine Inch Nails live and have no sort of currency for when I find an uncirculated concert recording and a taper won't just donate the tape to the archive. I have nothing to trade because it's all available on the archive. Which means, I can't get new recordings.

I know that delicate balance! It's difficult being a liberator of hoarded recordings without having to do some very small-scale hoarding yourself. I think I've personally run out of hidden holy grails to leverage with. Almost.

kargath
02-21-2016, 03:36 PM
To put in my .02¢ on the topic.. I enjoy Champaign 06 and Milwaukee/Houston 1994.

Champaign was excellent! Thanks for your immense effort over the years. It's truly inspirational.

mauro995
02-21-2016, 04:37 PM
I would love so much to hear the recording of this show (in the case that more than Gave Up was recorded), but if it is not available guess we'll have to wait http://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19950213.html

Meanwhile this works pretty well for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k6bqZNeKUI

Ryan
02-21-2016, 10:21 PM
I know that delicate balance! It's difficult being a liberator of hoarded recordings without having to do some very small-scale hoarding yourself. I think I've personally run out of hidden holy grails to leverage with. Almost.

Quit teasin', start tellin'. Or get a paddlin'.

SM Rollinger
02-22-2016, 02:37 PM

So you have Love Gun, Sex Dwarf, and Just Do It then? :)

Leviathant
02-22-2016, 09:28 PM
So you have Love Gun, Sex Dwarf, and Just Do It then? :)

Ha. The former was never finished, as far as I know. The latter has never escaped the studio.

Pyract
02-22-2016, 10:28 PM
Ha. The former was never finished, as far as I know. The latter has never escaped the studio.
Notice he didn't dispute Sex Dwarf! ;)

Ryan
02-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Notice he didn't dispute Sex Dwarf! ;)

Then he has it!

Leviathant
02-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Ha. To be absolutely clear, the only version of Sex Dwarf I've heard is what's on Closure, and I've never heard Just Do It. I also do not possess copies of either song.

billpulsipher
02-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Is it even confirmed he recorded Sex Dwarf? I doubt it

Ryan
02-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Trent recorded having sex with a dwarf?

implanted_microchip
02-24-2016, 02:47 AM
Is it even confirmed he recorded Sex Dwarf? I doubt it

IIRC the bonus Closure footage shows Lohner recording over a playback of parts of the song. I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, then that would at least mean they had completed and mixed some parts of it and had several parts already recorded. It may have never been completely polished, finished mixing or possibly even finished recording, but there's certainly some amount of it in the vault.

sick among the pure
02-24-2016, 09:46 AM
IIRC the bonus Closure footage shows Lohner recording over a playback of parts of the song. I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, then that would at least mean they had completed and mixed some parts of it and had several parts already recorded. It may have never been completely polished, finished mixing or possibly even finished recording, but there's certainly some amount of it in the vault.
See I was never sure if they were recording that (to make a studio recording) or if he was having Danny learn and practice his parts for performing it live. Either way, the bonus Closure footage shows that Trent has more hidden away of that song than we have seen/heard.

SM Rollinger
02-24-2016, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMZDbBZksY

Shadaloo
03-04-2016, 10:07 AM
First and last time I post about this...

I'd just like to thank you for putting a lot of perspective on what, from my outsider eyes, has always seemed like this really strange world of selfish elitist assholes. It's good to know that's not the case.

I know that a lot of my favorite artists like Ministry and the Pumpkins have a lot of uncirculated material out there, just...floating around in the hands of a select few, and just thinking about it drives me insane.

It really makes me wonder about the history of trading. Like...who knows if there are forty+ year old Bowie, Dylan or Beatles recordings or demos out there nobody in the general public has any fucking clue about to this day. Just...sitting on someone's hard drive or in a closet.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is what I've taken away from this thread is that I've been on this board on and off for about ten years and I never could have imagined until today that ETS was hoarding sex dwarves and that's amazing to me