PDA

View Full Version : Meathead

jrdsctt
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
I know he said he wanted to quit updating his site because he was just loosing interest in it and, "I'm in my 30s now, and the idea of still writing jokes about Nine Inch Nails when i'm 40 scares the shit out of me." but why has he completely cut off all ties to the NIN community? Occasionally he'll tweet some dumb thing back at Trent, but other then that it's like he doesn't want anything to do with any of it. He doesn't follow any NIN related person on twitter and when NinWiki was starting up and they contacted him about helping out, "Meathead refused to talk about it with us". Maybe I am just reading into way too much, and maybe the answer has already been said and I just haven't looked into it enough, but can anyone shed some light?

Leviathant
12-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure he was supersaturated with NIN stuff, and wanted to separate from that. After the Discipline video, I was contacted by MTV, who was seeking him out asking if he'd be interested in doing animation for them (he was not interested). When the majority of your well known creative output centers around something as nichey as Nine Inch Nails, it can feel very stifling. Why cut off ties from the community? Because a lot of people in the community regularly ask him to make funny NIN stuff. You're kind of doing it right now, posting about Meathead in the NIN section rather than, say, artistic expressions. I understand the connection is there - I 'met' Meathead on the SLS NIN News forums, picking up on his hilarious posts, and that's when I asked him if he'd be interested in doing a bi-weekly humor column/thing for the Hotline. His output far exceeded my expectations, but after years of that schtick, combined no doubt with getting more involved behind the scenes than he probably ever imagined or even wanted, really, I think it's natural that he wanted to distance himself from all that as much as possible.

There are times over the years where I've felt some regret for calling my music news site "the nin hotline" instead of something much less focused, something more like antiquiet. I didn't even call it the nin hotline at the time, and the site I started was never really intended to be all that big. I had always thought that running a music news site would take up far more time than I had to offer - and that's true on some level, which is why from the get-go I asked for help from other fans to keep the site updated.

jrdsctt
12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the response, I guess I should have thought about it more before I posted it in here. It makes sense. I just figured I would be more likely to get an answer in the NIN section rather then elsewhere on the forum. I meant no offense to him, his work is great. Being late to the whole ETS and Meathead Perspective stuff, I was just curious and looking for an answer. In no way am I trying to ask him to come back and make more stuff, he made great stuff in the past and I should respect his wishes to be left alone now.

jrdsctt
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I also realize that the way I worded my initial post made me sound kind of upset or pissed off which was not how I meant to come across. I was just curious.

howdidislipinto
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I recommend anyone who misses him follow him on twitter (meatheadsux). Not only is he really funny, but his yearbook sketches and series of Breaking Bad prints have been kickass. They're on my growing list of things I want once I actually have a little bit o' money again.

jrdsctt
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
His twitter is great, I loved his portrait of Jackson Pollock.

ltrandazzo
12-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I'll toss this into Artistic Expression. I have two prints of his paintings but have never gotten frames for them. Maybe once I get a house...

jrdsctt
12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll toss this into Artistic Expression. I have two prints of his paintings but have never gotten frames for them. Maybe once I get a house...

Thanks for moving it. Which paintings of his do you have?

ltrandazzo
12-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Conversation Piece and... another one. I can't remember its name.

Tea
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
The reason he would have said no to NINWiki is it was started by (what I think most know him by) Tony St.
Jrdsctt, I'm not sure if you're an old member by a new name...? But if not, Tony is a fairly younger guy who annoyed a lot of people in the ETS IRC room; mainly Meathead's then girlfriend.

reznovka
12-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I´m still sad that he quit. But his works are still great.

Malechite
12-09-2011, 08:34 AM
when NinWiki was starting up and they contacted him about helping out, "Meathead refused to talk about it with us".

That text is still there? I need to remove that. I think Tony threw it in as a funny jab.

The reason he would have said no to NINWiki is it was started by (what I think most know him by) Tony St.
Jrdsctt, I'm not sure if you're an old member by a new name...? But if not, Tony is a fairly younger guy who annoyed a lot of people in the ETS IRC room; mainly Meathead's then girlfriend.

Actually, I asked Meathead and a few others if they would like to help out in creating some pre-launch material so there was a little more substance there than just the year zero stuff for when we took it live. Meathead said no for the same reasons Leviathant explained. He wasn't mad or upset by anyone, he was just kinda burnt out on the NIN community stuff (this was in 2007)

Tea
12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Actually, I asked Meathead and a few others if they would like to help out in creating some pre-launch material so there was a little more substance there than just the year zero stuff for when we took it live. Meathead said no for the same reasons Leviathant explained. He wasn't mad or upset by anyone, he was just kinda burnt out on the NIN community stuff (this was in 2007)
Hah, actually nice to be proven wrong about that, then.

jrdsctt
12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the insight. You have all been very helpful.

Wretchedest
12-09-2011, 02:36 PM
There's always Cashpiles. He used to write some pretty hilarious stuff about NIN, but people wrote him off as a troll despite doing a pretty similar thing to Meathead (but without the NIN Hotline). He even had a website, and for a while Levi relegated him to his own thread, which worked pretty well.

One time he wrote this really hilarious article about how the reason that the WITT single is so rare is because its cursed and anyone who gets a hole of it would be subject to grisly death. It was great, and some people bought into it to, which just made it that much better.

Tea
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
One time he wrote this really hilarious article about how the reason that the WITT single is so rare is because its cursed and anyone who gets a hole of it would be subject to grisly death. It was great, and some people bought into it to, which just made it that much better.
Sadpanda doesn't count.

Wretchedest
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
It was loooooong before the days of Sad Panda, and during the days of Meathead

jrdsctt
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I feel like such a noob, who's Sadpanda?

Alex of scotland
12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
there's always cashpiles. He used to write some pretty hilarious stuff about nin, but people wrote him off as a troll despite doing a pretty similar thing to meathead (but without the nin hotline). He even had a website, and for a while levi relegated him to his own thread, which worked pretty well.

One time he wrote this really hilarious article about how the reason that the witt single is so rare is because its cursed and anyone who gets a hole of it would be subject to grisly death. It was great, and some people bought into it to, which just made it that much better.

cashpiles forevers.

con4cyn
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Wow. A whole thread about Meathead. That guy sure was funny. RIP
Wait...

Leviathant
12-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Did somebody say cashpiles (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/750-cashpiles)?

ManBurning
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Did somebody say cashpiles (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/750-cashpiles)?

Whoa! Cashpiles is from Vancouver!? I never knew...
so many vancouver classics on here... fixer808, october_midnight and now cashpiles!

jrdsctt
01-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Ok-s44l8g&feature=plcp&context=C3f98eeeUDOEgsToPDskKg 24dqOjjMWl95qJjhL1lv

sadpanda
01-03-2012, 03:06 AM
i am sadpanda

jrdsctt
01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
i am sadpanda

Now I know.

ManBurning
01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
i liked the above by accident, I thought the last post on here was still the meathead drawing one. That was incredibly epic and I am glad you shared it with us!

EDIT: But hey, after reading what the above said, that was kind of amusing as well, because... well, yeah... now you know that sadpanda is well... sadpanda.
=/

jrdsctt
01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I love this so very much: http://meatheadsux.tumblr.com/post/15376938739/really-important-person-370-paula-deen-buy-a