PDA

View Full Version : Most ball-squeezingly intense NIN moment?

Ryan
01-17-2016, 12:50 AM
To you, personally?

For me it's the:

"the deeper the wound I'm inside you, forever and ever I am a part of -- YOUUUUU AND MEEEE..."

part of WITT.

What part of a song really rustles your jimmies in the best of ways?

elevenism
01-17-2016, 01:04 AM
HOW COULD I/EVER THINK/IT'S FUNNY HOW...
WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU?!?!?!

oh, and also the pause in hurt when sung live these days.

I am still.............right.................here.

And everybody in the crowd goes YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Krazy
01-17-2016, 01:14 AM
Hearing Pinion (preferably extended version) as a concert opener right when the house lights go down.

Ryan
01-17-2016, 01:19 AM
We should compile all of these together as one mp3 once everyone has contributed.

icecream
01-17-2016, 01:47 AM
First time I saw NIN on LitS tour. Hearing 999,999 in the darkness. Knowing the show was going to be great, but not understanding my mind was going to be blown.

Substance242
01-17-2016, 03:33 AM
"And all that could have been" (Still song), when Trent returns with "...coud have been!" at 4:18.

witte
01-17-2016, 04:01 AM
his first appearance in europe 3/30/05 (4th gig) on the astoria stage london after a 'break' of 5 years (where he went through a nightmare).

elevenism
01-17-2016, 04:01 AM
"And all that could have been" (Still song), when Trent returns with "...coud have been!" at 4:18.

that was the first bit that crossed my mind actually

wizfan
01-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Could you change the subject to something unisex, like "pants-shittingly"?

tony.parente
01-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Idk having your balls squeezed is pretty damned intense.

also

WONT GIVE UP IT WANTS ME DEAD GODDMANASBDEKEOEE INSIDEMAHEBFBT!!!

wizfan
01-17-2016, 08:55 AM
I WANT TO FUCK EVERYONE IN THE WAAAWWHHLD I WANT TO DO SOMETHING THAT MATTAIEARRSSzzzz [cue BMWAG screams and drums]

Halo Infinity
01-17-2016, 01:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-mtKKIPG0

Halo Infinity
01-17-2016, 01:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO1K-C6c5ZU

sick among the pure
01-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Nipple-hardening?

billpulsipher
01-17-2016, 03:21 PM
the first time I heard 'Everything'...the first 20 seconds when TR sings "I surviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiived"........................i remember getting a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach like this cant be a real song. Kinda how I felt last year when Ice Cube did a song with 2Chainz... I honestly thought Trent was trolling with that song.

Swykk
01-17-2016, 05:38 PM
From like 2:50-end of "Gave Up."

MrSlfDstruct
01-17-2016, 09:31 PM
To you, personally?

For me it's the:

"the deeper the wound I'm inside you, forever and ever I am a part of -- YOUUUUU AND MEEEE..."

part of WITT.

I actually have that lyric starting with "the farther I fall" and ending with "you and me" tattooed.

But I always get really into the last bit of Somewhat Damaged starting with "in the back". Such an intense build up and the lyrics have become very personal to me.

Mine overall and non song related, just to share, would have to be, and maybe this is lame, but running into Best Buy on September 21, 1999 and FINALLY getting my hands on The Fragile. I was in high school so the wait until release for it seemed unbearable, and to finally grab one off the shelf and hold it in my hands was pure, unadulterated joy.

Halo Infinity
01-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Mine overall and non song related, just to share, would have to be, and maybe this is lame, but running into Best Buy on September 21, 1999 and FINALLY getting my hands on The Fragile. I was in high school so the wait until release for it seemed unbearable, and to finally grab one off the shelf and hold it in my hands was pure, unadulterated joy.

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4K4r2gxIkU

nooneimportant
01-17-2016, 09:53 PM
When I saw them for the first time live in 2014 and the "KILL ME!" part came up in Eraser. I was not ready for it even if I technically knew it was coming. The guitar was like a razor blade cutting into your ears and it was great.

Shadaloo
01-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Ting ting
Ting ting
Ting ting
Ting ting ting ting tungg
(X2)
Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dananana
(...)

LLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH

Ryan
01-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Ting ting
Ting ting
Ting ting
Ting ting ting ting tungg
(X2)
(...)

LLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH

The eater of dreams?

sick among the pure
01-17-2016, 10:39 PM
For me, it was my first show (Erie, 2006). I didn't know anything about what to expect for the tour, didn't look at any setlists or pictures or anything, I only had AATCHB to reference.
Music starts building, everything is dark, screen is down, suddenly the bass drum count in for Mr. Self Destruct starts playing and Trent is like 5ft away from me screaming the first line of the song.

I love NIN, but no song could ever hit me quite like that moment did.

Shadaloo
01-17-2016, 10:49 PM
The eater of dreams?

I tried so hard to make that look like buildup to the scream in The Downward Spiral and failed. This is what I get for trying to type-emote on a phone. :(

wizfan
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Since other posters talk about the first time they saw them live, let me tell you about...

...the first (and only) time I saw NIN live in my country, Greece. It was July 20, 2009 (http://www.nin.wiki/2009/07/20_Athens,_Greece). I had read on The NIN Hotline that they had put some deep cuts into their setlist, like Home and Gone, Still. I lost my mind. I never thought these songs would make it into the live tracklist, especiall Home, which had always been very close to my heart. And there I was, at the Vrahon Theater, waiting for NIN to appear, and... the guitar drone. The drums. Trent. "Everything... is catching up with me".

BALLS. GONE.

Calla lily
01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
For some reason the little bit of The Fragile at 3:45 gets me every time. It's like my favorite second of music.

kel
01-18-2016, 10:01 PM
oh, jeez. so many.

my first show. fragility 2.0, june 2000, salt lake city.

"the great below."

the last half of the song, "i can still feel you ... even so far away ...".

cue percussion.

runner up would be hearing "home" at the reno hilton theater show in spring of 2005. none of us had heard it and there was a collective exhale at the end.

real tears. both times.

third runner up (and it's a popular one): may 2006, amphitheatre show in boise. the way he just kind of showed up among the roadies and then BAM. "so impressed with all you do ...".

honorable mention: being at the first official lits show in seattle, summer 2008. the whole fucking thing.

Krazy
01-18-2016, 10:54 PM
third runner up (and it's a popular one): may 2006, amphitheatre show in boise. the way he just kind of showed up among the roadies and then BAM. "so impressed with all you do ...".

honorable mention: being at the first official lits show in seattle, summer 2008. the whole fucking thing.

1) oh yeah, totally forgot about 2006 summer tour opening up with SD. Fuck was that awesome, and loved how they closed it with the "NIN screen gate" at end of HLAH. Both tingled the 'ol "Divider".

2) I remember avoiding spoilers for LITS, trying to make the Minneapolis one for my first show. Got cancelled due to TR illness.... never a bigger NIN kick in the groin than that, but what can one do? I gave in and ended up spoiling it by watching YT vids or whatever was out at the time.

EDIT: 2014 tour, TGD after Trent screams and the lights go nuts while the bass fills your chest sent a tingle down the spine as well.

kel
01-18-2016, 11:01 PM
oh, fuck! i forgot "in this twilight" from all three (seattle, salt lake, portland) lits shows. as the song builds to a wall of noise and the background goes up in flames, each member exiting one at a time ...

damn.

chloe
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
For me its more of a hair raising, goosebump moment or feeling it in my bones:

I've been listening to The Fragile almost non stop for the last month and these parts always affect me -

"as I descend from grace, in arms of undertow, I will take my place, in the great below" (any version)

and I love the cello in the beginning of Into the Void and the bass in The Mark Has Been Made (it rumbles through my bones)

also "as black as the night can get, everything is safer now. there's always a way to forget, once you learn to find a way how"

I love all the whispered words on TDS and Broken, but those give me a different kind of feeling :)

simonn
01-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Probably at Sonisphere UK 2009. 3 days before the show on nin.com people were speculating about setlist. I jokingly suggested LITS at the time, my favourite song from The Slip. Cue 3 days later and out of the blue they play it. Tears for that one while quietly singing along. I'll struggle to beat that.

From the studio...the 'Could've Have Been' from AATCHB as people said earlier does take some beating.

BenAkenobi
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
"I will take my place
In the GREAT BELOOOOOOWWW"

(from live version on halo 17, heard that before album version, which i suppose exists but is unfortunately made obsolete by existence of live recording)

arsenic
01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
my first nin show was at London Scala, which is a very small venue.
I was standing on the stairs on the right side of the soundboard because the pre-show music sounded good, so I thought it was a good spot.
By the time Pinion started I could barely breathe. Then trent showed up on stage. People were screaming everywhere, and when he started singing SD I realised I was right in front of his mic and, thanks to the stairs, I was also standing exactly at the same eye level as him.
He probably couldn't see me because of the lights, but he kept making eye contact with me or the guy on my right, while singing one of my favourite songs. I was almost terrified.

I remember thinking "gosh I never realised that trent has green eyes up until now".

That was the most intense show I've ever been to.

Dr Channard
01-20-2016, 01:02 AM
The title of this thread makes me wince and squirm.

Ryan
01-20-2016, 06:26 AM
The very beginning of Underneath It All and how the opening "Aaaaaall... I do" sounds.

fillow
01-20-2016, 06:51 AM
MmmmmmmmmBAH!
G- Gotcha-Gotcha!

Dryalex12
01-20-2016, 03:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0LXZ1nnpzs

Sliprygoose
01-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Lots of good ones, but one that comes to mind is from You Know What You Are when he's says, "but you can't change anything" and the bass goes boooooom right in the middle of it.

Halo Infinity
02-03-2016, 01:46 PM
For quite some time, I've also felt that way about I Do Not Want This, especially starting at 3:35.

millionmilesaway
02-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Live:
I have been cursed/blessed when it comes to live concerts, Shows tend to get postponed when I buy tickets but when they get rescheduled there are often special extras.
Surprise Peter Murphy singing Reptile during LITS tour was probably the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBEAaaL-NE

runner up:
Having a rail spot directly in front of Robin's wailing guitar as the show opened with Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS7KZi0ciGo

Recorded:
The Wretched, just everything about this song. I cant explain it but with all the layers, hearing something new in it with every listen is what sucked me in.

Runner up:
Something I can Never Have (Live at CRC) love this song stripped down to nothing but Trent and a piano.

TheRealNs1
02-10-2016, 07:01 PM
End of Wiltern Show, 2009 - the entire front loge section that I was in just sat there for 10 minutes. No words needed.

Wiltern, 2009 - Frail -> Wretched. First time hearing it after 8 tries.

Lew
02-11-2016, 11:05 AM
july 27th, 2013. molson ampitheatre. toronto.
it was storming like a mad bastard. starting to worry the show will be cut short. also worrying that maybe i am about to see one of my fave bands get electrocuted, en masse.
they rode that show out like the masters of sound that they are...and at the end of hurt, i shit you not, trent puts his hand up in the air and FUCKING LIGHTNING SPLITS THE SKY. seriously. like the universe itself was all 'FUCK YEAH, son". then, just to make it that much more awesome...when robin did his wave good bye...THUNDER BOOM. it was almost too much.
being frozen and wet and, frankly, a little worried that all of us fools on the hill just might get zapped...the world...the crowd...everything just stopped for those seconds (and it felt like forever, i assure you) and was in superhyperholyfuckingcrow surreal mode.
i really don't think any other concert experience, no matter how epic, could top the timing of that lightning bolt and thunder boom. it was crazy.

laz001
02-14-2016, 06:50 AM
my first nin show was at London Scala, which is a very small venue.
I was standing on the stairs on the right side of the soundboard because the pre-show music sounded good, so I thought it was a good spot.
By the time Pinion started I could barely breathe. Then trent showed up on stage. People were screaming everywhere, and when he started singing SD I realised I was right in front of his mic and, thanks to the stairs, I was also standing exactly at the same eye level as him.
He probably couldn't see me because of the lights, but he kept making eye contact with me or the guy on my right, while singing one of my favourite songs. I was almost terrified.

I remember thinking "gosh I never realised that trent has green eyes up until now".

That was the most intense show I've ever been to.

Wow, the surprise London Scala gig was your first NIN gig? I was there, what an amazing intro to NIN live for you!

theimage13
02-14-2016, 07:36 AM
A few, because I'm indecisive.

-First NIN show - covering it for the paper, so I'm standing right at the stage when Pinion starts. Goddamn.
-Terminal 5, night two. First being shocked that the show is even still going, then basically shitting my pants when someone pointed at the ceiling while muttering "holy shit" as who we could only assume was Peter Murphy descended upside down.
-End of the LITS show - the entirety of In This Twilight. Goosebumps for the whole thing.
-Tension tour - went into it hoping to hear either WITT or Into the Void. Started getting my hopes up after Frail/Wretched, then slightly let down when I could tell that WITT wasn't coming...and then Void started up. Screamed my bloody head off from excitement.

hani
02-19-2016, 04:12 PM
I remember hearing The Big Come Down for the first time. I could comprehend how a song so simple could be this angry. I felt the anger flow through me and I started crying. I wanted to fucking break stuff.

redwingsrock
03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
Band: "It didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. It didn't turn out the way you wanted it did it?"
Trent: " It didn't turn out the way you wanted it noooooo It didn't turn out the way you want it did it?"

Also, all of Reptile from And All That Could Have Been.

botley
03-06-2016, 01:08 PM
I felt the anger flow through me
http://www.troll.me/images/grinning-emperor-palpatine/good-goood.jpg

greenbaymackey
03-13-2016, 05:03 PM
For me it's always been Reptile during the Dissonance tour. "Need to contaminate, to alleviate this LONELINESS!" When he really screams and holds the last syllable. God I love that. Starts at 3:12, or just watch the whole thing because it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJIJzmcc4MY&feature=youtu.be&t=3m12s

reznovka
03-18-2016, 11:28 AM
first nin conert back in 2007 in Berlin and the London show in 2014. just the whole experience.

sweeterthan
03-18-2016, 12:28 PM
There used to be a video of Trent recording the wretched on YouTube. It was recorded in night vision like Paris hiltons sex tape. He was scream whispering "this is what it feels like". I watched it a million times before it was removed. It was so damn good.

_T_B_W_
03-18-2016, 02:18 PM
There used to be a video of Trent recording the wretched on YouTube. It was recorded in night vision like Paris hiltons sex tape. He was scream whispering "this is what it feels like". I watched it a million times before it was removed. It was so damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tzt4os5T4
Happy Friday!

sweeterthan
03-18-2016, 03:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tzt4os5T4
Happy Friday!

Oh god. So many fan girl feels.

thevoid99
03-18-2016, 05:05 PM
For me, the moment I can remember where I was just in fucking awe was the very first show I attended in June of 2006 where the band was playing "You Know What You Are" where the sound of Josh Freese's drumming sounded like fucking hammers and when it came to that instrumental break before the final chorus where those drums were pummeling. It was unlike anything I felt and then Trent sang and I let go. Oh, that is why it will always be my favorite concert ever.

reznovka
03-23-2016, 02:17 AM
Oh god. So many fan girl feels.

+ fan boy :P

SM Rollinger
03-24-2016, 02:14 PM
For me its all in the live stuff. Like the synth breakdowns from the Great Destroyer and Happiness in Slavery.

But my number one is probably either the Great Below crescendo on AATCHB, and a certain version of Head Down from 2008 where Tront is all like "betcha betcha bectha bectha betcha ya dint think!!!! no!!!! it could happen to you!! all used up! fuckin' half way thru!!!" and then the little squeeling synth breakdown at the end of the track. Man that's good stuff. Its was recorded in Canada, that's all I can remember.

For me, the moment I can remember where I was just in fucking awe was the very first show I attended in June of 2006 where the band was playing "You Know What You Are" where the sound of Josh Freese's drumming sounded like fucking hammers and when it came to that instrumental break before the final chorus where those drums were pummeling. It was unlike anything I felt and then Trent sang and I let go. Oh, that is why it will always be my favorite concert ever.

I just wanted to comment on this, because I know the feeling too. that when I was at the first show in St. Paul of the Tension '13 tour, and I had a feeling they were going to open with Copy of A, but I wasn't sure. Anyways, it was a different arrangement than they were playing during the summer tour, but I could still tell from the opening loops what song it was. Anyways, this was my 3rd time seeing NIN, so its not like I dint know what I was getting into, but I remember specifically just how explosive the drums sounded when Illan started playing. Felt like aural ounslaught for sure. Man that was intense.

Also, while not technically "ball squeezing", but equally intense, was when they started into A Warm Place. As everybody knows, im such a TDS fanboy and I never once thought I would hear that song live. I cried like a wimp.

edit: I totally forgot about seeing Vessel in 2008, and there is only one way to describe that...
http://i.giphy.com/OK27wINdQS5YQ.gif

SM Rollinger
03-24-2016, 03:43 PM
I hate to double post, but all I can think of when I read the title of this thread is the contraption from the Happiness in Slavery video. Very fitting title guys :)

elevenism
04-02-2016, 02:07 AM
earlier today, i was showing AATCHB to the wife. JLYI started, which i had forgotten they played.
Sadly, however, my 90lb bulldog stepped on my balls in perfect synchronicity. Man, it was fucking ball squeezing.

Ryan
04-02-2016, 03:31 AM
I hate to double post, but all I can think of when I read the title of this thread is the contraption from the Happiness in Slavery video. Very fitting title guys :)

I try my best!

elevenism
04-10-2016, 11:08 PM
as far as live, for me, my first nin show-dallas tx, oct 29, 1994.
after being slightly entertained by a band we'd never heard of called Marilyn Manson,
NIN came out and started up Mr Self Destruct. I was 14. I just about shat myself.
NIN at that time, and what it meant to me, and seeing them in a fairly small, dark place, and being so young and impressionable, and seeing Reptile, Gave Up, HIS, TDS, Suck, Ruiner, IDNWT, MOTP (when all those tds songs were pretty much brand new, mind you...)

Yeah, i was pretty much never the same. I had been obsessed with NIN since discovering broken at 12, and just they way everything came together in the place where they have the fucking DOG SHOW at the tx state fair-i honestly can't explain it.

Don't get me wrong, i still adore EVERY nin release, and i don't mean to sound like Bill Pill Pusher or whatever here, but nin has never been as visceral or intense or just utterly fucking BALL SQUEEZING as they were, for me anyway, at that time, in that place.

Those of you who caught TDS shows, and especially those of you who were, truth be told, too young to have any business even fucking BEING there at that age, like me, probably know exactly what i mean.

That show, and the feb 95 show-the older i get, the more i realize that they were most likely the most important rock shows of my life. and goddamn, i've been to a lot of them.

elevenism
04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/posthistory.php?p=297360); Yesterday at 11:11 PM.

hot damn, look at that shit ! :) :)

bobbie solo
04-11-2016, 01:33 PM
on a side note, this thread title always makes me think of this David Cross bit (7:10 in) -

https://youtu.be/z2OQXQYQaZ8?t=7m10s

BenAkenobi
04-11-2016, 02:29 PM
When i read the title "ball-squeezingly" i imagined the rubber toy ball for stress relief, that you can fling into your wall and it'll bounce all over the place. Much like nin music, which lets you loosen and get away from things and at the same time it does occupy relatively little space and just rests in the corner when you're away doing important stuff. Life doesn't revolve around it, you control it even when you think it's so epic and/or mindblowing and/or groundbreaking. Okay okay i shut up...

elevenism
04-12-2016, 12:32 PM
of course, then there's a more pleasurable kind of ball squeezing that can be fairly intense...

But to be clear, the title refers to that strange sensation of nut tightening that i get in some powerful, emotional situations, akin to the other strange sensation that occurs for some reason in moments of intense empathy, like when you see some horrible injury, right?
It's not about having your balls in a vice grip, right?
okay okay I ​shut up

Space Suicide
04-12-2016, 12:35 PM
How come I knew who made the thread before I even looked at the thread topic creator on the first page?
Ryan

Ryan
04-12-2016, 08:51 PM
elevenism Yes!
Space Suicide - I'm good like that. I leave my mark.

Halo Infinity
04-13-2016, 04:45 PM
It just seems so right to include this particular moment right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5XgMjORHc

joplinpicasso
04-15-2016, 10:11 AM
When "The Way Out Is Through" goes from slithering to explosive.

elevenism
04-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Oh, how could i forget.

"Nowwwwwwww everything is clear....i erase the feeeeaar.....i can disappear...Please i don't ever want to make it stop!"

Me and that song and fucking alcoholism in the aughts, good god. I SWEAR i had it stuck in my head for YEARS. It was running through my head every time i dragged my dying carcass to the liquor store, which was every day but sunday for a long, long time.

Ribbitman
04-22-2016, 12:31 PM
When Eraser goes from kill me to help me at the very end

elevenism
04-22-2016, 12:37 PM
When Eraser goes from kill me to help me at the very end
Does it? Jesus, that's 22 years of me not noticing?

Ribbitman
04-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Does it? Jesus, that's 22 years of me not noticing?

I've probably listened to it the most of any song and It sounds like it to me. It's hard to hear it.

botley
04-22-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't think that's true... sounds like the distortion is just cutting off the beginning and end of the word "kill". But it's just too indistinct to be sure.

Hazekiah
04-22-2016, 02:39 PM
With all the talking about that specific lyric Reznor did in interviews at the time, I feel like he would have mentioned it if this were true.

Ribbitman
04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
oh how could I forget

The Becoming - you know which part
"broken bruised forgotten sore too fucked up to care anymore"
Just like you fucking imagined

Jrod
05-17-2016, 06:50 PM
NINE INCH NAILS : LIVE : 06.09.2000 : THE GORGE : is all I have to say, but if you were there that night; you know! we almost died on that floor, most insane nine inch nails experience of my life. I still have flashbacks of that show.

Ryan
11-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Slave screams he hears but doesn't want to LISTEN!!!!!
Slave screams he's being beat into SUBMISSION!!!!!

GrayscaleRain
11-05-2016, 10:42 PM
The EXPLOSION at the end of Beside You In Time, both the live and album versions. (They're very different and I always liked the drums and Trent's "ooooooooohoooo!" during the live version, but the sheer wall of sound on the album version is powerful as well.)

Erneuert
06-21-2021, 08:24 AM
To you, personally?

For me it's the:

part of WITT.

Upon further reflection and maturation, I have to say the entirety (but especially the end) of Ripe (With Decay) does this for me now. I mean, how can one top an ending track like that? eversonpoe agrees, I’m sure.

The vinyl is robbed, ROBBED to only have “Ripe”.

azad_ninja
06-21-2021, 10:05 AM
The first time I listened to the Fragile, I had my headphones on and the volume on LOUD. So the last three seconds of No, You Don't was pretty fucking intense.