PDA

View Full Version : Most Anticipated 2016 Releases?

Jord
12-27-2015, 05:44 PM
I don't think there's a thread on this topic so here we go.

What are you looking forward to the most musically in the new year and why?

I have a few that come to mind to get the ball rolling:

David Bowie - Blackstar - So far what we've heard has been incredible to me, cannot wait for the complete thing.
Incubus - They are working on Trust Fall (Side B) that is now getting bumped up from an EP to a full LP, cannot wait for this.
Deftones - Cannot wait for the KNY follow up, everything they've done for the past few albums has been untouchable and I hope they keep it up.
The Stone Roses - Rumour has it there's a third album coming, nothing they ever do will be accepted fully by critics because of the reputation of the first album, but I am ready for some new stuff.
Aphex Twin - I hear that there's some more stuff coming, a Melodies from Mars remake and a compilation of the soundcloud tracks, followed by another new album. I hope the rumours are true.
James Blake - Radio Silence - It's been a year since the announcement and it was due out in April/May. Something's got to come soon and I can't wait.
Massive Attack - The new tour announcement promised new material this year, but it's too late now. Must be coming 2016.
Rammstein - Very much a no until early 2017 at the earliest, but they are in the studio so you never know.
MBV - There's no guarantee that we'll hear anything but god dammit I'm crossing my fingers.
Primus - Highly unlikely they'll release anything but I hope work starts on a new original album at the very least. They can't end the band on a Willy Wonka cover album.
Kraftwerk - Pretty much not gonna happen, but the rare interviews they still give always promise new material 'soon'

mrselfdestruct94
12-27-2015, 06:04 PM
David Bowie
The 1975
Lycus
Gojira
Obscura
Tool (yeah, yeah, I fucking know)
Nine Inch Nails
Black Sabbath (They announced that they would tour and release a new album in 2015, and I know the "final" tour's already been announced but I haven't heard updates on new material yet)
Incubus
Killswitch Engage
Megadeth
Anthrax

Swykk
12-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Deftones
NIN
Slowdive
The Black Queen
David Bowie
M83

Jord
12-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Black Sabbath (They announced that they would tour and release a new album in 2015, and I know the "final" tour's already been announced but I haven't heard updates on new material yet)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-why-there-wont-be-another-black-sabbath-studio-album/

They've decided against it apparently. Big shame, I'd have loved for them to just hash things out with Bill Ward, make a final album and tour classic lineup, then call it a do.

Good should on The 1975 - that one's shaping up to be a good one.

Krazy
12-27-2015, 06:33 PM
NIN, of course.

And Tool. But, yeah...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/167/129/tumblr_ljkahzoZ671qanb21o1_500.gif

GulDukat
12-27-2015, 06:35 PM
NIN

A GN'R reunion album, please.

ManBurning
12-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Other than Bowie and NIN, I can't think of any other artists I listen to that are supposed to drop records this year.
As the year goes on, bands usually surprise you here and there. So other than the above two, no idea.

Hopeful for TOOL and Rammstein, but as mentioned above, those are pretty much 2017 releases. I doubt we'll see anything from either of them this year.
Maybe a single or a song snippet really late in the year. But I don't see records coming out this year to be honest.

mrselfdestruct94
12-27-2015, 07:09 PM
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-why-there-wont-be-another-black-sabbath-studio-album/

They've decided against it apparently. Big shame, I'd have loved for them to just hash things out with Bill Ward, make a final album and tour classic lineup, then call it a do.

Good should on The 1975 - that one's shaping up to be a good one.

Damn shame about the scrapped album. 13 was awesome and I managed to see them on tour that year. They've still got it, and I'll never forget what a great show that was.

Agreed about The 1975. Their debut is excellent, and I've played 'Love Me' practically nonstop over the last two months. Also purchased tickets to one of their shows next summer. Can't wait until their sophomore effort gets here in February.

LaneSax
12-27-2015, 08:58 PM
NIN
Rob Zombie
Deftones

Hope to hear from Guns N' Roses, Rammstein, Metallica, Mastodon, Garbage, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam among others.

onthewall2983
12-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Steven Wilson has a new EP coming out in January. He's also got a new Blackfield album coming up, with Alan Parsons helping out behind the boards.

Roger Waters is finally working on his new studio album, but who's to say it'll come out next year at all with the pace he goes at.

piggy
12-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Bowie
PJ Harvey
NIN
The Jesus And Mary Chain

There's also supposed to be a new proper album from The The coming at some point.

thevoid99
12-27-2015, 10:38 PM
NIN
David Bowie
Radiohead
PJ Harvey
M83
Warpaint
Primal Scream
Deftones
Roger Waters
Slowdive
Jesus & Mary Chain
My Bloody Valentine (hopefully)
The Stone Roses
Ride
Lush
Guns N' Roses
The Cure
Bat for Lashes
& Tool

Exocet
12-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I heard about a new The The album too. Really exciting. ..first in 16 years. Last one was on Trents Nothing records. Matt Johnson said he has nearly finished the new one. Really need to see him live.

Also Portishead take a decade per album but their new one should be out in 2016.
Also

Stone Roses
Massive Attack
Burial
Primal Scream
Lush
Lone
Slowdive

vivisection13
12-27-2015, 10:42 PM
NIN
Deftones
Rammstein (fingers crossed)
Rob Zombie
Tool

Merriweather
12-27-2015, 10:59 PM
NIN

The Black Queen

Faith No More (Sol Invictus B-sides and leftovers album?)

Soulwax (supposedly been working on a new album for years now)

Dillinger Escape Plan

perceptionnexus
12-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Gonna be a great year for music again. Even better than this year, I think.

Bowie- Blackstar
The Black Queen- Fever Daydream
Savages- Adore Life
Nevermen- Nevermen
Big Black Delta- Tragamme Tierra
(and that's only January)

Polica- United Crushers
NIN/T-Rez
Jesus and Mary Chain
John Congleton and the Nighty Nite
Minor Victories (slowdive/mogwai collab.)
Team Sleep
Russian Circles
Autolux
Lavinia
Bells Into Machines
The Joy Formidable
Beck
Massive Attack
Deftones

Also hoping for new shit from:
True Widow
Hum
Shiner
Faith No More or Fantomas
Dillinger Escape Plan
Gary Numan
L7
Mastodon
Black Map
Smashing Pumpkins (with low expectations)
QOTSA

Your Name Here
12-27-2015, 11:51 PM

neorev
12-28-2015, 12:03 AM
People have already brought up a bunch of releases I'm waiting for in 2016...

There is also a new EP from The Prodigy coming. Liam announced that he no longer wants to release albums because it just takes him way too long and he wants to keep the buzz going. Rumor has it that it may be coming first quarter 2016... but we'll see, definitely 2016 though.

A new album from The Smashing Pumpkins a.k.a. The Billy Corgan Experience (possibly Jimmy Chamberlin is returning as well)... but I want the long awaited "Machina" reissue.

Also we'll be getting Underworld's remastered reissue/super deluxe edition of "Beaucoup Fish" next year along with a brand new album called "Barbara Barbara We Face A Shining Future."

Substance242
12-28-2015, 01:54 AM
1. NIN.
2. David Bowie.
3. The Cure?
4. Roger Waters?
5. Radiohead?
6. Peter Gabriel?

Original post:
NIN of course, then Bowie, and wasn't also Peter Gabriel working on something, finally? And if Waters makes something new, good.
Edit: The Cure? If that happens, perfect! :-) Though the last album was my first The Cure disappointment.

Ryan
12-28-2015, 02:38 AM
Danzig, Rob Zombie, NIN, Bowie, The Cure, Gary Numan, Rammstein

Depeche Mode maybe?

Lerxto
12-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Confirmed:
David Bowie
Marillion
NIN
Steven Wilson
Gary Numan

Not confirmed:
Roger Waters
The Smashing Pumpkins (the machina reissue, new album would also be great but machina first)
Aphex Twin

Totally not interested:
Radiohead

onthewall2983
12-28-2015, 06:08 AM
Forgot about Marillion. They're doing a US tour in the fall, so I'd expect that to come out maybe in the summer.

BRoswell
12-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Aphex Twin (I'm sure we'll see some more unreleased stuff at the very least)
Big Black Delta
David Bowie
Nine Inch Nails (and whatever else Trent throws at us)
Radiohead
Rob Zombie
Run The Jewels
The Black Queen

Mutilated
12-28-2015, 11:13 AM
NIN
The Black Queen
Mortiis
Youth Code
Rob Zombie

All these are confirmed and will hopefully be awesome! :)

implanted_microchip
12-28-2015, 12:26 PM
As far as I know:
NIN/TR project(s)
David Bowie - Blackstar
Big Black Delta - Tragamme Tierra
Smashing Pumpkins - Day for Night
Kanye West - So Help me God/SWISH (or whatever title he ends up using)
Radiohead
Gary Numan
Depeche Mode (I'm strongly hoping we get something but who knows)
Run the Jewels
The release of more complaining, speculation and in-fighting as Tool continues to not release new music and everyone debates a minute and a half long interlude between songs at a show everyone paid excessive money for

I'd put Rammstein but it's likely another year to two years from a new album coming out. That said, I'd love to be surprised.

thevoid99
12-28-2015, 04:06 PM
I hope the Cure will release a new album. I also want to add Massive Attack to my list.

Vertigo
12-28-2015, 09:14 PM
The xx's new album is probably the non-Trent release I'm most looking forward to.

seasonsinthesky
12-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Kayo Dot. Their last two were cover-to-cover brilliant. Then again, I'm sure this one will be completely different stylistically, as always.

Shadaloo
12-28-2015, 11:37 PM
NIN
Bowie's Blackstar
Whatever new stuff The Cure have in mind, if anything (supposedly new material will be played on the tour)
The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina reissue (???)

neorev
12-29-2015, 12:20 AM
NIN
Bowie's Blackstar
Whatever new stuff The Cure have in mind, if anything (supposedly new material will be played on the tour)
The Smashing Pumpkins' Machina reissue (???)

Hopefully we get the Machina reissue this year. Apparently it got delayed because issues with the label having to pay them for the last reissue. We're also suppose to be getting a new album, but with Billy's output lately I'm not too excited. Though I heard Jimmy Chamberlin may be returning to the drums, which would definitely be a huge plus.

hologram parade
12-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Not all of these are confirmed, but one can hope...

Beck
Cortini alias project
Warpaint
Andrew Bird
Tim Hecker
NIN
Bowie
Massive Attack
Radiohead
Karin Dreijer alias project
QOTSA or Them Crooked Vultures
Grizzly Bear
Run The Jewels
Health (DISCO03)
Andy Stott
The Horrors (they cancelled their usa tour over a year ago due to contract obligations to finish a new album and release)
Melodys Echo Chamber
Light Asylum
Tobacco
Crystal Castles IV
Charles Bradley
Agnes Obel

elevenism
12-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Bowie and whatever the hell "new nin" might mean, of course.

But i REAAAALy want a Chance the Rapper album.
I waited and waited for Surf by "The Social Experiment" which was promised in 2014, and didn't come out till 2015.
And then, as bad ass as it is, i was disappointed that it wasn't really a Chance the Rapper album.

He's been a SUPER highly acclaimed artist since 2013, but he's never released an album-just mixtapes and Surf.

Shadaloo
12-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Hopefully we get the Machina reissue this year. Apparently it got delayed because issues with the label having to pay them for the last reissue. We're also suppose to be getting a new album, but with Billy's output lately I'm not too excited. Though I heard Jimmy Chamberlin may be returning to the drums, which would definitely be a huge plus.

The plan was that Jimmy wouldn't be on the last one, but they'd work together in the future. Now Corgan's just had a kid, so who knows where he stands with work at the moment.

Last I'd read, Machina was 'still happening' but Zwan won't be unearthed to avoid 'having to deal with old band members'.

henryeatscereal
12-29-2015, 02:50 PM
PJ Harvey
Deftones
Bowie
NIN
Radiohead
LCD Soundsystem (?)

shin2chi
12-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Steven Wilson
The Black Queen
Crystal Castles
Drab Majesty
Pet Shop Boys
Moderat
Mew (Just a rumor)
Holy Other (Just hope)
NIN

and Tool. (* Every year is exactly the same *)

Reznor2112
12-30-2015, 10:05 AM
If These Trees Could Talk
The Dillinger Escape Plan
David Bowie
Nine Inch Nails
††† (Crosses)

oh

and

THE BLACK QUEEN!!!!

Archive_Reports
12-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Deftones
Dillinger Escape Plan
Anaal Nathrakh
NIN
Converge (unless I'm misremembering)
Revocation
Fallujah
Norma Jean

neorev
12-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Shocked no one mentioned Gorillaz

Tums206_BFY
12-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Deftones
NIN
Marnie (Helen Marnie of Ladytron)- second album
David Bowie
TOOL- Lol
Radiohead
Gorillaz

dvdglss
01-08-2016, 01:29 PM
NIN
Chairlift
Smashing Pumpkins
Autolux
Nothing

neorev
01-14-2016, 12:25 AM
Moderat - III

blackholesun
01-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Confirmed:
Tim Hecker - TBA
Swans - TBA
Jesu/Sun Kil Moon - Jesu/Sun Kil Moon
Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness
The Mercury Program - New Myths
Nevermen - Nevermen
Animal Collective - Painting With
Prins Thomas - Principe Del Norte
Matmos - Ultimate Care II
Rob Crow's Gloomy Place - You're Doomed. Be Nice.
yndi halda - Under Summer
The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
Charles Bradley - Changes
Death Grips - Bottomless Pit
Holy Fuck - TBA
James Blake - Radio Silence
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3
The Wrens - TBA

Hopeful/In the Realm Possibility:
Do Make Say Think
Autechre
Radiohead
Grouper
Pygmy Lush
A.A. Bondy
Sumac
Bill Callahan
True Widow
Silver Mt. Zion
Tycho
Dirty Three
Russian Circles
Timber Timbre
Young Widows
Flying Lotus
Fennesz
Slowdive
Kayo Dot
Andy Stott

Probably Not Going to Happen/Never Say Never:
Fever Ray
Boards of Canada
Tom Waits

TheyCallMeDrug
01-14-2016, 08:45 PM
LCD Soundsystem
NIN
Radiohead
RTJ3
Deftones
Wolf Parade

virushopper
01-14-2016, 10:00 PM
M83 and Russian Circles come to mind.

Mutilated
01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
There's a new Skold album out on Metropolis Records 22 April :)

Sarah K
01-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Mostly the Kanye one. I'm anticipating that it will actually be released, as he has tour dates and shit.

implanted_microchip
01-15-2016, 04:06 PM
Mostly the Kanye one. I'm anticipating that it will actually be released, as he has tour dates and shit.

Release date's Feb. 11 and it's the first time he's announced one for it, so chances are he'll be sticking to it. He had tweeted a good bit the past couple months about how now that his son was born he wanted to focus on finishing the album before starting any new projects. I'd be surprised if it isn't released. Dying to see him live; I'm still disappointed I never saw a Yeezus tour date.

thenorthwood
01-19-2016, 11:00 PM
PJ Harvey
Santigold

allegro
01-22-2016, 05:39 AM
This is SO fucking exciting:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/arts/music/iggy-pop-josh-homme-post-pop-depression.html?_r=0

https://youtu.be/1m8TmlS20ZA

There is no Iggy thread (wtf) but somebody did post in the QOTSA thread.

shin2chi
02-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Youth Code - Commitment to Complications
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B01BFBGSWG/ref=topnav_switchLang?ie=UTF8&language=en_US

Mutilated
03-01-2016, 08:14 AM
The new Mortiis album drops on Friday. Still no Bandcamp pre-order though which sucks, and its also difficult to find the deluxe CD version, or even to get confirmation that its gonna be released. The basic CD version version was supposed to be digipack, but initial reviews are stating its a standard jewel case :( Doesn't help that whoever manages the FB page doesn't respond to questions.

Millionaire
03-01-2016, 09:01 AM
NIN
Deftones
Radiohead
PJ Harvey
Santigold
Massive Attack
M83
Slowdive
Autolux
At the Drive-In(maybe?)

As well as the 20-30 albums from acts I've never heard of that I'm gonna stumble across and blow me away.

perceptionnexus
06-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Mid-year thread bump. Top 5 so far this year? What are you looking forward to for the second half of 2016?

1. Bowie- Blackstar
2. Autolux- Pussy's Dead
3. Minor Victories- S/T
4. The Black Queen- Fever Daydream
5. Kaada/Patton- Bacteria Cult

Pretty decent first half, I'm even more optimistic for the second:

True Widow
Garbage- Strange Little Birds
Plaid- The Digging Remedy
Bat For Lashes- The Bride
Angel Olsen- My Woman
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds- Skeleton Tree
Norma Jean
Giraffe Tongue Orchestra
Gary Numan
Beck

Also holding out for these to come out this year:
NIN
Slowdive
Dillinger Escape Plan
Hum
Team Sleep
Jesus and Mary Chain
Mastodon
S. Pumpkins

henryeatscereal
06-07-2016, 09:05 AM
New NIN
New LCD Soundsystem
New Nick Cave

...and i will be buying the new Garbage album, i liked the single

GulDukat
06-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Garbage, yes!

GulDukat
06-23-2016, 04:11 PM
So, 2016 is almost halfway over. Favorites so far?

I'd go with, and in no real order:

David Bowie- Blackstar
Garbage- Strange Little Birds
Filter- Crazy Eyes
Monkees- Good Times
Red Hot Chili Peppers- The Getaway
Bob Dylan- Fallen Angels
Last in Line- Heavy Crown
Ace Frehley- Orgins, volume 1
Iggy Pop- Pop Post Deppresion
Anthrax- For All Kings
Megadeth- Dystopia
Dream Theater- The Astonishing

BRoswell
06-25-2016, 03:31 PM
So, 2016 is almost halfway over. Favorites so far?

So far...

David Bowie-Blackstar
DJ Shadow-The Mountain Will Fall
John Carpenter-Lost Themes II
Radiohead-A Moon Shaped Pool
The Black Queen-Fever Daydream

Harry Seaward
06-25-2016, 05:34 PM
There's a new DJ Shadow album out???

BRoswell
06-25-2016, 08:31 PM
There's a new DJ Shadow album out???

Sure is! You can stream it here: https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/sets/dj-shadow-the-mountain-will

ryanmcfly
06-25-2016, 10:17 PM
I'm ready for the new Dillinger Escape Plan album. That's about it for 2016, unless a NIN album actually happens.

neorev
06-26-2016, 02:04 AM
New Justice coming this year
Also new Mr. Oizo album called "All Wet" coming in the fall.
Supposedly a new EP from The Prodigy

bobbie solo
06-27-2016, 12:32 AM
Justice have been leaving SO MUCH money on the table by disappearing for so long between releases. They are right near the top of the electronic world and they are gone from the scene for loooong stretches. Not sure they care & that's fine, but I'm just pointing it out b/c it's a curiosity. Kinda like a smaller scale Daft Punk situation.

aggroculture
06-28-2016, 12:09 AM
I know it's sacrilege (because Justice are basically Daft Punk Jr), but:

Justice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daft Punk

neorev
06-28-2016, 12:50 AM
I know it's sacrilege (because Justice are basically Daft Punk Jr), but:

Justice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Daft Punk

Justice are loads better than Daft Punk, I must agree.

Justice have been leaving SO MUCH money on the table by disappearing for so long between releases. They are right near the top of the electronic world and they are gone from the scene for loooong stretches. Not sure they care & that's fine, but I'm just pointing it out b/c it's a curiosity. Kinda like a smaller scale Daft Punk situation.

I rather a solid album than something rushed. Great albums sometimes take time. I respect an artist's integrity to deliver something solid. Cross is a great album while Audio, Video, Disco is even better. Cross was a huge release for them. It's difficult to surpass a well received debut album, but they did just that with their second release. Not only that, but they progressed their sound and just didn't repeat themselves. For the most part Daft Punk has been making the same album over and over again. Sure, they changed it up with Random Access Memories, but at the same time Random Access Memories was not original at all. People raved about that album. It was overrated and just a regurgitation of disco funk soul music. Great electronic artists like Portishead, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, etc. usually take years between albums.

reznovka
06-28-2016, 01:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGUxfP-uIQ

CAPSIZE - A Reintroduction: The Essence of All That Surrounds Me

awesome post-hardcore. saw them live once and was blown away by the raw and pure sound.
hope they'll give europe a tour this year...

bobbie solo
06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Justice are loads better than Daft Punk, I must agree.

I rather a solid album than something rushed. Great albums sometimes take time. I respect an artist's integrity to deliver something solid. Cross is a great album while Audio, Video, Disco is even better. Cross was a huge release for them. It's difficult to surpass a well received debut album, but they did just that with their second release. Not only that, but they progressed their sound and just didn't repeat themselves. For the most part Daft Punk has been making the same album over and over again. Sure, they changed it up with Random Access Memories, but at the same time Random Access Memories was not original at all. People raved about that album. It was overrated and just a regurgitation of disco funk soul music. Great electronic artists like Portishead, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, etc. usually take years between albums.

I'm not talking about releases, that's fine. Take the time and release shit when its perfect. I'm talking about touring, festivals, etc. They'd be headlining or near the top of most fests, pulling in most likely 6 figures per appearance. Just surprising how little they perform compared to their EDM peers.

As far as Daft Punk, R.A.M. was different for them, but I have zero interest in listening to a straight up disco album in 2016, and I say that as a fan of disco-house. So that record did nothing for me.

kel
06-28-2016, 11:43 AM
i love cross. the second album didn't do anything for me. probably because that live dvd exposed them as misogynistic grease balls.

neorev
06-28-2016, 03:15 PM
i love cross. the second album didn't do anything for me. probably because that live dvd exposed them as misogynistic grease balls.

I prefer the Access All Arenas live album over A Cross The Universe. They really cut up/mixed up tracks with the newer live album.

frankie teardrop
08-30-2016, 08:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_v26Q6Ohtg

lana del rey + grouper + tropic of cancer vibes. bring it on.

onthewall2983
08-31-2016, 01:14 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14203388_1325975627414352_9160718743769097980_n.jp g?oh=f786527fe511ab20c70ac3fdc62346f9&oe=585820B3

"Eye of the Soundscape" - a complimentary instrumental release - features 13 experimental and atmospheric compositions, including tracks previously used as bonus material for the "Shrine of New Generation Slaves" and "Love, Fear and the Time Machine" albums, rarities 2007/2008 (a new mix of Rapid Eye Movement and the single Rainbow Trip) and four new compositions ("Where The River Flows", "Shine", "Sleepwalkers" and "EyeOf The Soundscape" - over 30 minutes).The album will be available as 2CD-Mediabook, 3LP (With both CD's as bonus) and Digital Download.
CD 1:
1. Where The River Flows (10:53)
2. Shine (4:09)
3. Rapid Eye Movement (2016 mix) (12:40)
4. Night Session - Part One (10:40)
5. Night Session - Part Two (11:35)
CD 2:
1. Sleepwalkers (07:19)
2. Rainbow Trip (2016 mix) (06:19)
3. Heavenland (04:59)
4. Return (6:50)
5. Aether (08:43)
6. Machines (03:53)
7. Promise (02:44)

8. Eye Of The Soundscape (11:30)